Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Meteorologist who's job is to track hurricanes, broke down on the air looking at the information he had about this hurricane extremely serious threat. Tampa Bay hasn't been hit directly by a major hurricane since nineteen twenty one, and like you mentioned earlier, a great point. We have done numerous stories about Tampa Bay being just completely nearly washed away and inundated and the storm surge with no direct hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Tampa Airport shut down a few hours ago, I think about four hours ago, and I was I don't know how I got on this yesterday, but on Twitter I noticed that the airport said anybody who's traveling in and out of Tampa, just so you know, we're shutting down at nine am Eastern Standard Time on Tuesday, which means no flights land here, nobody's taken off and were the airport is not to be used as a shelter, so get out, stay out kind of thing. And people kept writing questions to the Twitter account of the Tampa Bay Airport or the Tampa airport, which is Tampa Saint Pete, which was like, so if my flight is scheduled to land at nine point fifteen, and they would just post the same thing. Our airport is closed at nine no flights in or out. Okay, But my mom has a flight scheduled at ten forty five on Delta. It's flight number sixteen forty four. Sport is closed. Our airport is closed. And they just had to keep saying, listen, talk to your airline. We're just telling you they're not leaving and they're not coming in. You want to deal with your airline and figure out how to fix it that you do tear it out, Okay.
Speaker 1: So Prop thirty six is probably the most high profile measure on our ballot here in California because it involves dealing with crime. It is going to increase punishments for drug possession and theft.
Speaker 3: What we do that, or we will do that if this we will do that. If this passes, that's why you want to vote yes.
Speaker 1: Of course, opponents argue that this is returning to tough on crime policies of the eighties.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: So what it would do is it would roll back parts of the measure that has caused us so many problems. When you look at the smash and grab robberies. That was a measure approved in twenty fourteen that downgraded drug possession and theft's worth less than nine hundred and fifty dollars, that downgraded them to misdemeanors. What was it called Prop forty seven. If you've been paying attention, you know that the reason every day we've got a new home invasion, we've got a new smash and grab, we've got dodgers getting robbed of watches at Santa Anita, it's because all the criminals are hipped to the fact that they can get away with most of this. It's all misdemeanor. It's a slap on the wrist. You get your picture taken and you're sent on your way. And if you get rid of this and you actually go after criminals for these things that I just mentioned, guess what's going to happen. They're going to get hip to it. They're going to know that they can't commit those crimes anymore. And I won't be scared to go to the freaking mall.
Speaker 3: They said, this is interesting.
Speaker 2: Mark ty Camillo is the director of the poll and shows that Democrats and young people tend to be pretty split on this issue. But there's no demographic that proposes Prop thirty six outright unless you get into the extreme left strong self identified strongly liberal category. The largest support base is Republican. That's not a surprise, but Latino voters eighty three percent for Republicans, seventy three percent of Latino voters. Now, the way that they write this is I have not seen this in print, googling it, I know what it is.
Speaker 3: Latin Latin is do you say Latin? Okay? Hold on?
Speaker 1: I got this from a Hispanic executive applying amplifying the voices of Latino leadership in America. Here we go a brief explainer on Latin and LATINX.
Speaker 2: And I don't know anybody who claims Latin heritage Latino Latina who who honestly describes themselves as Latin X or in this case, Latin.
Speaker 1: It became common in Latin America to use Latin when referring to a group of people rather than Latino, as using the E ending isn't masculine or feminine. Latin is used when referring to a group of people of multiple genders, or for someone identifying as non binary, gender fluid, gender queer by gender, a gender, and gender nonconforming.
Speaker 3: Some of those some of those gender words are new to me.
Speaker 2: I'll bet you that that's even less likely in the Latino community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Latin is what's commonly used among Spanish speaking as it's more easily pronounced in Latin X and can be used in plural form because you can say latinae and mean Latino or Latina right.
Speaker 3: Because it's more standard, or it sounds.
Speaker 1: Genderqueer by gender. What's the difference between by gender and non binary or gender fluid. I'm not trying to be cute, I'm not trying to be ignorant. I legitimately want to know. If you're by gender, that to me means you're a gender fluid. But apparently there's a delineation.
Speaker 3: You know what a delineation is. And non binary that's the other one.
Speaker 1: Non binary, gender fluid, by gender, those are all or gender non conforming. Those are all the same things, though, Gary.
Speaker 2: If all of your friends are gender non conforming, maybe you want to be by gender. Or maybe if all of your friends are by gender, maybe you want to be gender fluw.
Speaker 1: My god, you're so right. What will make me more interesting? What label can I give myself to make me more interesting? Because I am boring and different and different and special, and therefore I get more attention?
Speaker 3: How did we get on prop? Thirty six?
Speaker 4: What are you?
Speaker 3: What do you want to be? Today? I'm going to be I'm gonna be boring.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be by gender because we've talked a lot about masculine things.
Speaker 3: I don't think you are. You don't think I'm by gender. I don't think you're gonna be by gender.
Speaker 1: You don't get to tell me what gender pronouns that I get question.
Speaker 3: Do I get to say what gender my dog is?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I get to say what sex he is, but not what gender he is.
Speaker 1: By gender refers to a person whose gender identity is a combination of more than one gender, or sometimes one gender and sometimes another. By gender, people may express two or more genders at the same time or at different times. So I could choose, like hour to hour, Like that first hour we talked a lot about sports, right, and then maybe we you know, feminize this show and the next day.
Speaker 3: Talk about demure fashion. Later this mere fashion.
Speaker 2: I don't like your face when you do these things, when I switch genders on you again. The poll, the UC Berkeley Institute of Government's Governmental Services Poll like your face sixty percent because there's a weird part of you where you look like deadly serious when you say things like that. Sixty percent do support Prop thirty six right now? Twenty one percent are opposed, and we still have about nineteen percent undecided.
Speaker 3: So this thirty six looks like.
Speaker 1: It's yes on thirty six, yes on thirty six, and yes on Hawkman Latine and maybe we can get some civility back. Latine Is it Latin? Is it Latin or Latine? So I think it's Latina because that would be that would confusion with Latina.
Speaker 2: Latine is more accessible to Spanish speakers because the word ending is a vowel sound that is standard in Spanish, and it would be parallel to other gender neutral words in Spanish amblow studiante for example, student see come on, no Latine latine studiante, studiante, la biblia teca.
Speaker 3: Lava.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 3: Have you heard about the exhale and scream challenge. I don't know. This is very big on TikTok are people falling unconscious with this?
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 1: It's you exhale and then you try to scream. So I excel all your breath. No, like, don't tell me how to exhale. Okay, well, just take a deep breath. That's not a deep breath. I have large nostrils breathing a deep breath. Now, slowly exhale all of it, all of it.
Speaker 3: Now, scream.
Speaker 1: UCLA is warning students that there have been possibly some drug students at local parties. Chris Adler from KFI News is on it and joins us now with the information.
Speaker 7: Chris, what do we know, Shannon, You can't toss it to me after Gary's breathless scream, that's gonna haunt my dream.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm trying to be serious here, you got, I know, I apologize. I didn't know that it was gonna come out like that. It was haunting.
Speaker 4: So yeah.
Speaker 7: So we've got two students from UCLA to have reported being drugged. The first one was on October third, where one student went to three different parties on Gaile Avenue. Now, Gaily Avenue has a lot of frat homes sorority homes, so it's party time in that area. And so this first student started having some symptoms they didn't feel was from alcohol, and two days later, on October fifth, a second student says they went to a party on the six hundred block of Gaily in the same area. Says they also developed symptoms that they didn't believe was from alcohol or marijuana. Both of them went to the er for treatment. Right now, the campus police says they don't have a suspect. They don't have an I'm sorry, a car. They don't have a description of the person. They don't know if it was may have been male or female or multiple people, so there's no description there. They say it is under investigation and police are warning students to be vigilant when they're going to parties, not taking drinks from older people, and kind of just watching their surroundings.
Speaker 2: They did go to the hospital, at least at least one of them, right so they did they do both of them went.
Speaker 3: So did they do tests on them to see what it was? We're not clear on that right now.
Speaker 7: We know that they were receiving some kind of treatment from the hospital.
Speaker 3: We don't know what kind of substance this is.
Speaker 7: We're still waiting to hear back from campus police, so we don't know what type of drug, if there was a drug, what kind of drug this may have been, whether it was a datebreak drug or something else that was used. But what the two students are saying is that both of them felt that this was not caused from alcohol or marijuana. So we are still waiting to hear from the police on what this may have been.
Speaker 1: These stories are awful and I love them because while I feel horrible for these two people that we know about, it's a reminder to people that you should not take drinks if you don't know the chain of custody of said drink. And that is a rule that I tell young women that going off to college or what have, you buy your own drinks, see the chain of custody. You can't trust anyone. Certainly, don't just accept a red solo cup from a frat guy at a party. Not to put down frat guys, but you know what I mean. It's just a nice reminder to and also that you can't take anything anymore, you know, you just have to be very careful.
Speaker 3: They've put fentanyl and all the pills and all that stuff's true. It's true.
Speaker 7: And you know, back in my undergrad when I was at cal State Fullerton, just a few years ago, I actually did a really big story on a woman who claimed to have been date raped by at one of the local bars. And it got so much attention because she says she, you know, she had a few drinks, she was knocked out, she woke up in a parking structure, raped, and we interviewed her and she told us her story. We interviewed the bartender because there were a lot of claims in that area. It's also a very big college town, cal State Fullerton and downtown Fullerton, and you know, there were a lot of claims that there was a lot of date going on in his bar, so much so that he ended up shutting down, closing both of his locations. But now bars we've seen in the last in this last year are starting to hand out date I'm sorry, a drug testing kits where people can test their drinks. But like you said, Shannon, the big thing is, don't accept drinks from anybody you don't know, because date raping is, it's out there, it happens, and it Also, you know, there's a lot of crime going on around colleges, you guys. I'm a grad student at USC. We get an alert almost every every other day that something is going on around the campus, and so I think it brings up a bigger issue too.
Speaker 3: There's just a lot of crime around colleges.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris Adler, thank you so much. Always good to hear from you, and a good reminder there on that story for you.
Speaker 3: Got it to be careful. We were talking earlier about that the new word that we saw a lat teenage.
Speaker 5: Oh hey, Gary, Shannon, Latina here. That is the biggest pile of horse manure.
Speaker 3: I have ever heard.
Speaker 5: Latinx Latin crap, absolute crap.
Speaker 3: It really does bother.
Speaker 5: Nobody listens to it, and it's crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does bother. Latino and Latina's the most yo.
Speaker 8: Yo yo, Garyan Shannon Man.
Speaker 3: I haven't called in in a few weeks.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: I listen to you guys every day, and I listen because you guys make me happy. When I listened to Gary and Shannon, I am at last Namida.
Speaker 5: And by the way, no Latino Hispanic Mehicano ever.
Speaker 3: Uses that term.
Speaker 6: At least not anyone, I know.
Speaker 3: I'm just Fernando, Great American, and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, thank you, Fernando saying all right, I don't know you're the one who suggested we do this next story.
Speaker 6: We don't have to.
Speaker 1: It's I thought it would be fun to open it up and find out what people have eton.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that was my idea too, But I also felt it was like a shot at my ancestry.
Speaker 3: It is a shot at your ancestors as well.
Speaker 6: Sure you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty World War three.
Speaker 2: There's a new front on World War three we haven't heard about for a while. North Korean leader Kim Jong mun is warning that he could use nuclear weapons and potential conflicts with the South Koreans or even the United States if necessary. He gave a speech at a university called the Kim Jong un University of National Defense. He said that North Korea will, without hesitation, use all its attack capabilities against its enemies if they attempt to use armed forces against the North Koreans. That being said, there was also a very strange hack attack on American water works, a supplier of drinking water and wastewater services to more than fourteen million people, some of them here in California. This New Jersey based company said it became aware of the unauthorized activity. Hackers breached its computer networks and systems, so they took the protective steps.
Speaker 3: They shut down certain systems.
Speaker 2: They said the company is currently unable to predict the full impact of this attack.
Speaker 1: Well to Marlinton, West Virginia, we go where the rules, they say are simple. Prepare a meal featuring an animal normally found dead.
Speaker 2: On the side of a highway. Yeah, now it doesn't You don't have to pick it up from the highway. It's just one that you would normally find on the highway, like.
Speaker 1: A snake, an armadilla, a groundhog, possum, squirrel. Your dish has to be at least a quarter meat cooked on site.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can hunt it, you can farm it.
Speaker 2: This is the thirty third annual roadkill cookoff in Marlinton.
Speaker 3: Now, what have you eaten? Roadkill? Wise?
Speaker 1: Because you come from a family of knowing how to live off the land, not wasting the various rodents and creatures that you find in the wild.
Speaker 2: Never done squirrel, the most wild well gator, I've had alligator, wasn't road killed though, nake, I've had rattlesnake.
Speaker 3: Did you guys ever eat the bat that was in the freezer? No, there's not a lot of meat on that. So why were we keeping it? Again?
Speaker 2: Because it was pretty? How many times I have to tell you that the bat had blonde hair?
Speaker 3: Rare very? I guess.
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Now would they take the bat out of the freezer from time to time and admire it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Why are you going to just keep it in the freeze?
Speaker 1: Well, no, that's great, that's great. And they show it to people, showed it to me. Did they didn't name it?
Speaker 3: Don't name a bat. That would be ridiculous. I'd call him Bruce. Get it? Oh right? See birds? You ever eat a bird? I've had bird? You have think?
Speaker 2: I think the most exotic bird was quail probably, But you know, duck and chicken, sure, cornish game, hen that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: My mother loves duck and it makes me sad because I like ducks.
Speaker 2: Well, we always had stories. Grandma used to tell stories about how she would eat squirrel. But they were they were capital P poor. They were Capital dp DP dirt poor. That's they were. Whatever you can, and you you would eat whatever you could. Whatever the Lord provided in the tree outside is what you could eat. Yeah, and you don't say anything.
Speaker 1: I was listening to Rogan and Rodney and Eric Dickerson was on talking about speaking of Dixie and Dickerson your grandparents, and he was talking about growing up in Texas and that you know, he would come home and there would be just like random animals with onions stuck in their in their mouths getting ready to be cooked. And he'd be in with the hair still on him and everything, and he would be like, I'm not going to eat that, and his mom would say, yes, you are.
Speaker 3: You're going to eat whatever I give you.
Speaker 2: In this roadkill cookoff in Marlinton, they say there's a croken deer stew Marlinton, West Virginia, Croken deer stew which mixes frog and venison in a spicy at two fa. A Bamby bumper rap takes ground venison and puts it in a burrito, comes with deep fried Bamby tail, which actually is battered and fried marshmallow.
Speaker 3: That sounds pretty good.
Speaker 2: They talk about the front Fender farm Stand stir Fry where they tenderize a deer meat with They say they tenderize it with the car's front bumper, but obviously you can't do that. They get about fifty pounds off of a black bear, and one team actually tried to grill it on a flat top grill with red peppers, basil, and eggs and called it a West Virginia omelet.
Speaker 3: None of that sounds awful. I think it all sounds I'm going to push back on that. What are you talking about? Well, that's just one of the things Venison. Listen, that's just sounds awful.
Speaker 1: One of the things that you are successful at, and it's you don't judge foods.
Speaker 2: It does say, oh, I ate raspberries last night that I found had mold on them.
Speaker 3: Exactly. One of your special power, says.
Speaker 2: A cast iron stomach is recommended, though not required. That's what you have, a cast iron stomach, and it's not even necessarily the stomach. I believe that it's probably lower in the GI tracks that I I don't want to talk about your GI tracks certain strengths powers.
Speaker 1: But can you I still have this image of what Eric Ed described to the guys of coming home from school and walking into the kitchen and there's a possum with an onion in its mouth, just in a pan, getting.
Speaker 3: Ready to get eat, getting ready to get cooked.
Speaker 1: I just a dead possum in the pan in the kitchen with an onion in its mouth.
Speaker 2: I just don't think there's a lot of meat on those And that I think is probably the issue. Is we're so conditioned by factory farming to have our chicken breasts completely oversized, or the turkey is completely huge, and the amount of beef that comes off of a cow.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to eat any meat today.
Speaker 2: After that conversation, what is the craziest roadkill slash out of this ordinary world?
Speaker 3: Food? What have you picked up? What have you picked up?
Speaker 1: Maybe you're like RFK Junior and you've picked up stuff with the idea of taking it home and just to stoke in it or to study it. Bear a whalehead, I mean all of us sure, let us know, use that talk back feature. Can't wait for this one.
Speaker 3: Demure fashion we still do? Demure? Is that still a thing?
Speaker 1: I think it's a thing because if if the fashion world says it's going to be a thing, it's going to be a thing that means we're all going to be covered up. The days of sexy Halloween nights are over. This is going to be a demure Halloween. I doubt it, very demure, very mindful.
Speaker 3: I don't think it will be. I don't think so either. Give give a woman an opportunity.
Speaker 1: To always saw the sexy ozempic injector. That's a cute little tank dress. Don't worry, I've aged out of that. Thank you know what, I will punch you in the face.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: A former Houston police officer is being sent to prison for the deaths of a married couple during a drug raid. Jerry sentenced Gerald Goins to sixty years in prison after convicting him of murder and the deaths of Dennis Tuttle and his wife. An investigation of the January twenty nineteen raid showed a systemic corruption in the Houston Police Department's Narcotics Unit LISAI. The Goings lied to get a search warrant by falsely saying that the couple was dangerous drug dealers. Goings lawyers admitted he lied, but said his actions did.
Speaker 3: Not amount to murder. Do you want to do those quick things before we get into our demure fashions. Yeah, food that people have eaten.
Speaker 5: Okay, you guys are talking about a cookoff specifically with roadkilled. I am from Iowa and this often happens with deer, believe it or hot So, yeah, that's that's a lot of meat.
Speaker 3: It happens in central California too. My uncle did just that.
Speaker 4: Hier Gary. This is Larry from Beverly Hills, Ya. We can hook you up with some squirrels because I have a caddo in my backyard and usually as alvacado's on it and by the time the squirrel's finished with it, there's about eighty to one hundred avocado's left. I'm the happiest to start taking up eating squirrel meat for dinner because we can provide you with a tremendous about a fresh meat on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: I'll kill that squirrel downstairs for you.
Speaker 2: Pretty clean meat too, if it's the if they're eating avocados, Hey, you.
Speaker 1: Didn't You didn't take me up on my offer? No to kill that squirrel down there. No, if you're hungry, I'm not. I I don't need you to go hungry.
Speaker 3: You don't need an excuse to kill that squirrel. You could just kill that squirrel.
Speaker 1: But if I do have an excuse, I won't feel bad about it. You do you think I could kill that squirrel with my burn a gun. Don't worry, I'm not going to kill a squirrel. I can see where this is headed. This is all a joke.
Speaker 9: I went to Peru and I a guinea pig. And also I'll pack the heart post presented to me as a delicate see it. I felt bad turning them down, so I ate it, and it was actually delicious. Getting pig tasted kind of like I imagine rabbit would taste, which I've never had. And I'll pack a heart literally just tasted like a steak.
Speaker 3: I'll pack a heart. If I lived in a.
Speaker 1: Obscure country, I would also tell somebody that this roadkill was a delicacy.
Speaker 2: Oftentimes, before we die, we pop our socks into our mouth and chew just to activate the salivary glands.
Speaker 3: Way for warm up the jaw. So I present to you my dirty socks for fifty dollars a plate. Right, that's good.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Because when I was seven, I went on vacation to stay with my grandparents in Colombia. My sisters and I row a little and my parents stayed here. My grandfather gave us iguana eggs. They were heart boiled. They were little, because you know, iguanas a little and they would be strung like a necklace, like the candy necklaces, and we'd wear them and just munch on them during the day. I remember they were really tiny and.
Speaker 3: Green, candy candy eggs. And Shannon love you guys.
Speaker 5: I am from Texas and we as kids ate armadillo stew.
Speaker 3: Yah yum yum yum. Okay.
Speaker 1: So modesty is the latest fashion trend. Demure is how the models are dressing on the runways.
Speaker 3: Very demure, very mindful.
Speaker 1: Floppy bow blouses, nightgown dresses with Victorian flourishes like ruffled collars, footwear like low heeled pumps, sensible box toes.
Speaker 3: I will not be fashionable this fall if this is where we are headed.
Speaker 2: Misty Sidel from The New York Times writes that this can be seen as an aesthetic counterpoint to the disheveled chaos of this year's brat summer, which was sort of a continuation of the sleazy chaos that defined the look of the hot Vax summer of twenty twenty one. I don't remember hot VAC summer.
Speaker 1: What was hot Vax summer I don't know, is that when we were all dressed in hot because we had the vaccine and so we could get out there.
Speaker 3: And I don't remember anyone returning to hot in twenty twenty one. But they describe what they saw.
Speaker 2: This article describes what's been seen on fashion runways, things like cardigan sweaters, except this isn't probably the greatest example, because she's not wearing a shirt underneath.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's only one button. One button. I drink and seen this though, and I wouldn't call it demrror.
Speaker 1: I was at a store over the weekend and I just noticed that I'm just not into the trends right now.
Speaker 3: It's like a lot of someone's aging out. I guess it's a lot of baggyeness. It's a lot of a lot of fabric, like a lot of extra fabric.
Speaker 2: Well, they talk about Bermuda shortsight for women.
Speaker 3: Those big ass baggy long shorts. It falls lower on the leg, it shows less skin. Some versions fall the way to the knees.
Speaker 1: I just want to expose my cellulite personally. Thank you, you're welcome. I still like short shorts and you're comfortable. Cellulite needs sun.
Speaker 3: Is that It's true? It does If you tan it, it doesn't. It doesn't appear as obvious. Hot tip. We'll do swamp watch when we come back. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio lap