Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve. You're Mike gwinn Am your Henry guest, and he's mat good show today. So far we got an hour in. Now we have breaking news from Henry.
Speaker 2: This is High on the Ball, breaking news, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: The Arizona versus Colorado game time on October nineteenth was announced for one pm.
Speaker 1: One pm. Wow, it's gonna be a nice hot day in town. Sellout crowd, the kid's gonna go.
Speaker 3: Uh we figured out we're both out of town.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so that ticket bartery know there is over?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, I have to sell it though I could probably make some Do you have to sell it to students? I mean, you don't have to reserve it every time, but I could reserve it and just sell it to someone for Yeah, okay, you capitalist exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're in business school, yeah, that's what you do.
Speaker 3: Tyler Loop was named the Big twelve Special Teams Player of the Week after hitting five field goals in Saturday's game. Imagine if he would have hit six, Yeah, right, Well, if he hit the fifth, he wouldn't have needed the six.
Speaker 1: There you go, look at this pragmatic Henry.
Speaker 3: Today, the w NBA Playoffs are still going on. The Liberty defeated the Aces in Game four yesterday to advance to the finals, and the Sun are playing at the Links game five tonight, with the winner going to the finals to face the Liberty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's going to be a new champion. Vegas is out of the picture. They're done. Yeah and no, and the viewership continues to partly fall or not. What you well, I mean, yeah, you certainly have you you don't have your number one draw, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: There are games.
Speaker 1: Still, I mean they're still game. You went to a game, Yeah, well I went to Dan Tarsi's last game. Yeah, I mean still still good basketball.
Speaker 3: Game two's of the Alds, yes, or today. The Tigers just defeated the Guardians three nothing to tie the series at one, and the Royals and Yankees are playing their Game two at four thirty eight today. That's in New York, right, yeah, New York?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is it one zero?
Speaker 3: Yeah? One's area Yankees.
Speaker 1: Yankees and the Mets one one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Mets are one one and the Cogres Dodgers are one one.
Speaker 1: One. Yeah. Yeah, I don't know how j feels about this. He's probably contemplating something. By the way, we're gonna bet oh and I gotta do some stuff with Del Soul because we're going to be out there on Thursday. So okay, we'll see how he feels he's still around on Thursday if the Dodgers don't make it.
Speaker 3: The Cardinals beat the forty nine Ers yesterday twenty four to twenty three to improve two two and three on the season. Okay, say that one time Cardinals beat the Niners, which was.
Speaker 1: That was unbelievable. They the forty nine Ers had them buried. They're inside the ten. Yeah, they were up by two. Yeah, with like five minutes ago. They didn't. Unbelievable. How do you lose a game like that inside of ten? Driv San Francisco has not been San Francisco this year, there's, without a doubt. What's that? Yeah, oh yeah, it's it's it's a very interesting year. I mean, I don't know if anybody that picked the Vikings with Sam Barnold to be five and U right right when the four Cowboys or what they got and Pittsburgh was playing halfway decent, although is there really? You know, I still like Baltimore. I still like Baltimore a lot. Kansas City is doing Kansas City stuff. Yeah, but I'm not sure they're gonna win at all. They're struggling too. The build The Bills lost to the Texans, so it's you can't count on the bills, which is good because I hate the Bills, but uh the uh yeah, you know you figured, you know, going in and be Bills would be up there, you know, but a lot of people are you know, have picked and are continue to pick the Ravens Derrick Henry Holy moly, Yeah, the ball a lot more. Yeah, that's what Baltimore was missing before. Absolutely, something like that. I mean, what do they have? Dobs, the guy that went to UHBS, He went to Los Angeles, Los Angeles. Yeah, well they used to be saying Chargers. He went to the Chargers. Yeah. I mean, he's a good running back, but he ain't Dereck Henry exactly. Moly, that dude is a Yeah. I was gonna say, it's like it's it's like men and boys when he gets out on that field. All right, New, we're talking about something you don't really know. No, No, I follow that I follow that. He woke me up.
Speaker 3: New Reds manager Terry Francona said, it just felt right to return to managing.
Speaker 1: To manage, and probably with the Cincinnati Reds. I didn't realize you were a Cincinnati Reid gun. Oh yeah, yeah, Cincinnati's were you here when we yeah when when when Pete Rose passed away the same day it was breaking that day, right, yeah. Yeah, we were saying to hear, thinking about what we're going to talk about, and then that's what I said, saved us. I will tell you somewhere now. I think what when Frank Coton is talking about is that that is a good young team. Yeah, well they Dela Cruz fantastic. Yeah, de la Cruz is something else. When they get if they can get well with Frank Coda there they'll be there'll be a different team. But boy, I tell you what, he definitely can turn that into it.
Speaker 3: They've got a really good they're really banged up this year, but they have a really good roster.
Speaker 1: They are young guys, a lot of young guys. Yeah, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: There is Monday night football tonight. We've got the Saints at the Chiefs at five fifteen.
Speaker 1: That should be a good game. You should give you a good game, really good game, be fun. You got Saints, Well they're I think last year I had made a wager last year that Kansas City would not lose the first five games. They played some some sorry team, maybe India or somebody, and they got beat. I'm thinking, how does this happen? How does this happen? This?
Speaker 3: They always have like one or two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is fifth game?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Is this fourth or fifth game? Fifth game? They're playing at home? Probably again they're gonna lose adown. Okay, how are you doing with this? How are you doing? Yeah? Well you know, I mean the reason Kelsey doesn't have a touchdown is because I finally got him on my fantasy team. You're the player, You're the king, I'm the I'm the kissing you're gonna say, Taylor Swift, Taylor Swizz is not the kiss of that the boy. I tell you what, I should like to try that, try that kiss. I'll tell you what the uh yeah it's but I tell you, uh, Kelsey, manny, I don't know what. Yeah, we'll see. Well you got how are you doing? Your little bit? Bets? There? I was gonna say trending, but you're not you're not doing the right way. It sounds a lot like Jay.
Speaker 3: That's all I got.
Speaker 1: Okay, anything else you guys want to say? Talk about? How much have we got? We got a few minutes, a lot of time. We got a lot of time. Let me talk about We'll talk some more about things after I deliver some information about the Dell Soul. We're going to be there next on Thursday. If you guys want to go and show up three o'clock to five o'clock. We're going to be live from the sports book after the Casino del Soul. Swallow is how well, how do you say? Swallow? So we'll reopen October seventh, that's today, and we'll offer a ten dollars discount to all customers playing October through October twenty third. This offer will not be combined with any other offers or discounts. School. Have you played there or you just a Tucsun Country Club? Yeah? Well no, I played there. That's a great that's a great course. Okay, we've been run over there, We've been running over at this well I did not get run over yet. One of these days I'll tell them what happened. Yeah, let it, let him let him know about that. Yeah, yeah, I would not get in a cart. Well, I don't mind being in a car with you. What I can't be is in front of a cart that you're driving. That's that's dangerous. Okay. See six pack Sunday, October thirteenth then October twenty seventh, one free six pack for qualified Club Sole members ten am to six pm near the Hotel Fourier. Any Club Sole member who earns one hundred, fifty or table points can pick up a beverage item. Maximum earned items three per day, so a lot of six packs being given out on October thirteenth and October twenty seventh and PY Special Selections. Join us every month at PY for the Chef's seasonal selection menu, featuring Prime Rib Night on Wednesdays dining in only, So go out and check out. Del Soul will be there Thursday. That should be a lot of fun. You guys are both twenty one.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, you're the kids still Yeah. Yeah, I say go visit us, but you have to stay outside, so don't all the way down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like two months I'll visit Well, okay.
Speaker 1: Ye come down visit later. Yeah cool, my boy Matt will go down there. Maybe we'll see gott to pick you up, take you. Yeah that's okay. Then that's okay. What else? You know what's going on? I will tell you. I gotta ask you, what is the biggest surprise uh so far in college in college football? Oh over the weekend? I mean, how do you think that Vanderbilt is going to go and well, ye beat Well that sounds shocking, but you know I was always looking at a surprising team. But you're right. I mean, it's like it's still is unbelievable advantage I'll give you. Are you, I know what you're sucher, poorant? Even though I know I am Navy, Army and Navy, you know, I'm of course I'm a little biased that sure they're five and oh, both five and oh and kicking. They are beating, they are beating the hell out of people. So the winner that one's going to go the Well, well that's the interesting thing. So that they are Army Navy game is that you go to that count I go there often. I wasn't playing going there this year, but Army Navy game is contractually the last game in college football. Uh so it's interesting. The American Athletic Conference, which I both belong to, has their championship the week before. So if Army and Navy went out or at least went out in the conference, because they both come up against Notre Dame, and you know, they may get beat by Notre Dame, likely get beat by Notre Dame. But if they went out in the conference, uh, they play each other for the conference championship, and then the next week they played the Army Navy game, which would be interesting. And then if they went out, let's say they beat Notre Dame. Let's say both them, just for argument, saying the winner of those two games has a pretty good shot at getting into the playoff. Yeah. No, that's what they're talking about. So I was talking about Alabama. Yeah, that's my big surprise. So find bomb. You know they last week Alabama was the toast of the towns of the you know, everybody had the solutions though they're the greatest, blah blah blah, because they played Georgia to the end and then then and they won the game, Georgia ran out of time whatever, and a week later another poop. So We just talked about how Arizona has lost, you know, six times after beating a ten team. It's like it doesn't just happen here. Yeah it h I mean, these are at the end of the day, these are college kids. But you know they went and yeah, we start believing that. And I hate that no one reads clippings anymore, but start reading and everybody's patting you in the bag and what a great game. Blah blah blah. You're going to Vanderbilt, Vanabel We've got twenty points. So we got twenty points. Well, I will say, let's take a lot out of from Vanderbilt, because Vanderbilt they're a pretty good team. Well, you know what I'm back is, you know where you're from, right, New Mexican albu from New Mexico. Well, Albuquerque played at New Mexico State last year. I saw him play at the New Mexico Bowl last year where they played the I can't remember who they played, somebody they lost, but coach kill who went to coach at the bat New Mexico State, who was a heck of a good coach. He left there went to Vanderbilt to help us as a top assistant. Blah, blah blah, we're an observer or whatever. They've got some Vanderbilt both smart dudes. Yeah, are playing. Yeah there, I'll tell you what. They've got a pretty good team. Uh. You know, it was an upset. There's no doubt in the mind it was an upset. But I tell you what, it wasn't like the normal Vanderbilt that is No, No, one and eleven.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: The transfer portal has changed the game. Yeah, there's seventh or seventh. There's seventh. Yeah, yeah, there's seventh.
Speaker 3: Texas Texas, Texas, then Ohio State, then Oregon and those two play each other this week Texas and oh.
Speaker 1: Where's that?
Speaker 3: Where's that organized?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna be that's good. That's what time is that at?
Speaker 3: I assume it's in later game Oregon.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's true. Yeah, good, because I hope it's not. Yeah, they can't. It's not going to be ten thirty Eastern. I guarantee that they're going to put that in prime time. Yeah. The uh and then uh, what is it? Next weekend? Texta Oklahoma? Right, that's this weekend. That's that's this week in text Oklahomas. This weekend Texas, that's what Dallas was, yeah, that's that's but that's another rivalry game. I mean, it's like going even go either way, but Texas should beat them. Yours is back, you know, and so but so there's that you never really know. There's that. I still like the you thought, Henry, that Arizona could go in and beat people. You that's I would take the points. I would take the points because if we lose, we're checking you down the what's the line? It was, okay, I'm taking I would take them. Really surprised. I thought it would be bigger than Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also thought it'd be because the Utah was what eight and a half.
Speaker 1: Something like that. Yeah, but again, Dell Arizona, they camp that they do exactly, you know whatever, it's just the way it is. You guys have been here long enough to see that in basketball too. They all go, right, how do you explain basketball? How are you playing basketball? They lose to these teams that you're going to be losing to just over confidence over you know, my my stuff is doesn't stink and stinks travel. You come on, you're on a lum. You've seen it.
Speaker 6: You fall?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, no, no, absolutely, we'll never free I mean when we lost Saint Mary's. Man, I was just like, you got Saint Mary's yeah, way back. Oh yeah, you're talking about Saint Mary's Mary's when we clair St Clair? Santa Clair? Yeah, Santa Clair. Yeah, I don't think that. Yeah, they played them. Yeah, Okay, let's go. We got to go and then we'll come back with George Malulu. The pressures of being a quarterback at you of a Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website bails.
Speaker 1: That's fails.
Speaker 2: Enter it right now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 1: Your passion, your joy and excitement.
Speaker 2: From the latest slots, table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 1: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 1: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 8: Yuki try The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instack cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space today. Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 3: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 8: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about doratle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato rock You found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Toronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead madge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: School and the Falls fourth season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a Creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follows. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose from, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street at.
Speaker 1: Nova Home Loans.
Speaker 7: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance, Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation.
Speaker 1: Visit Voltpe team dot com.
Speaker 7: That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, got to commitment to Lydrix, Syncredic greats and available loan programs of subjects to change with the umice.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from rare fines to the latest releases Showtime Cards at All. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere to Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 1: Ready to save, but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid.
Speaker 12: Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and we'll guide you along the way.
Speaker 1: Save five hundred dollars.
Speaker 12: Over six months as a member.
Speaker 1: And you could win big. Watch your savings brow to help.
Speaker 12: You reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 4: That really insured and see you ay. Gout bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about his you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money, they will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 2: Streamy Live on the iHeartRadio WAB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to Eying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera on the phone. Now we have former UA quarterback George and I righty, and I'm Mike Quinn. Now you're Mike Quinn'll forget about you. Hey, George, how are you?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 6: I can't complain all as well. How you guys going?
Speaker 1: We're doing Finally gonna get to what's going on with you in a bit. But you was, you were a quarterback? SHN I say, how long ago? A while back? Right? Well? Yeah, you're probably still you know you're still a young man.
Speaker 13: Yeah, okay, I'll let you tell.
Speaker 1: That, a good, good athletic young man. So, so you were a quarterback for for a few years, you know, to two three, four years as a starter. How how much pressure was it for you at being the quarterback?
Speaker 14: It's always the pressure being I mean you always have somebody behind you, Chuck Levy and I mean Ronnie was there. It's just, uh, does a matter of going and putting things in perspective and if you want to go ahead.
Speaker 6: And play, and or if you want to sit on the bench, and.
Speaker 14: You know that's that's up to you. But you got to go ahead and you know, make that decision and go with it. So I just wanted to make sure I was on the field and not not on the pond.
Speaker 1: Right. So I'm sure that those guys, uh pushed you to be better, to be better quarterback because if you weren't a better quarterback, you went to plane.
Speaker 13: Yeah, exactly exactly. So I think I liked me a lot more than them.
Speaker 1: So you were you were always in there rooting for you, huh uh. Yeah, I know a lot of people that were rooting for you too. You uh, you were here, right, before I got here. You played right before I got here. Hey, so, uh were you a drop back quarterback or were you a running quarterback?
Speaker 14: I don't know what I was with four offensive coordinators in five years. Yeah, yeah, but you know, I think the last year when coach Camp came, I think that really helped out because he kind of like worked on, you know, my my strengths and and really kind of use that to kind of use that that year to bring somebody in like that. D Dub and I had a great time throwing the rock, but at the same time, I was able to kind of be elusive and and kind of run that.
Speaker 13: I was both as well.
Speaker 1: No, no, exactly, because you were both. You were both. He was able to get out and scoot around, screwed around or whatever. And that's Noah. I mean, you talk about it if he can be more and you want the games?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So what do you do if you gave if you had advice to give, what would you give?
Speaker 13: I just tell him all to keep on doing what he's doing.
Speaker 9: Just persevere.
Speaker 14: I mean, can't have the success without the failure. So you know, I know, I know his dad, I know that's very well and I know he's you know, telling him the same kind of thing, right, You just got to keep on fighting like we you know, like ause wildcats do.
Speaker 1: Go ahead. So yeah, So you you mentioned about having four offensive coordinators in five years, and we're sitting here and lamenting the fact that we have this new coaching staff and everyone's going different direction. How big of an impact is that? And when do you finally get the system?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think it's up to the division. I mean, regardless of the four offense court it is at the time. I think it's up to the quarterbacks, boy and and and believe in this guy, regardless of the situation. And you know, just going and Dura you know the trials that come with it and just make sure that you make a you know, the good out of the out of the situation at hand, and just knowing what he has there, t Mac and the rest of the guys, I know they're going to come out of this and take it to b YU next week.
Speaker 1: So let me say I covered you in eighty nine and ninety you know that, uh so in your time here and I can't remember to save my life. Maybe maybe Lewis or whatever his name was, you know, one of those guys, did you have a favorite go to guy and was it purposely going to the guy or just the way it happened.
Speaker 14: Now, I think anybody who caught my ball was the perfect guy, see you the truth. Anybody that was out there, I mean Troy Dickey, he had, Chuck Levy, you you have a bunch of different guys that were there, even Melvin Smith when I.
Speaker 1: Was in Melbourne. Yeah.
Speaker 14: You know, during the course of time, you have guys that are out so they can they can. They wouldn't be there if they if they weren't good.
Speaker 13: So they're just putting.
Speaker 14: It in their hands and let them do what they don't be doing with it.
Speaker 1: Right well, right now, the thing is with Noah is he has his guy, right it's t Mac. But everyone knows it's going to be t Mac. So now you have to have other guys in the loop because you can always go to t Mac.
Speaker 14: True that, true that, And I think some of those guys are trying to find their roles and in being at number two, number three guy. So I mean, we all know t Max is the number one guy, but they still got to stop that. At the same time that shit opened up, somebody down the line. So I just a matter of time when they you know, they figure it out. But we got a big high in Utah then you know, going to you know, dealing with Texas Tech. You know, I thought it was going to be Ah. I thought it was going to be a little better than the it was.
Speaker 13: But you know, now we've got to go to YU.
Speaker 14: And really take it to those guys because those guys are coming off.
Speaker 13: Of the they win.
Speaker 1: So you've experienced as I know you have because when I was back in the day and I was coming to you guys, it happened. Uh So Arizona in the last whatever time, six times they've being the top ten team, they've lost the next week. Tell me about it. You have kids who play, so you know kids you know, good boy and girls who play at this level. You know who can play at this level. How does that happen? And I'm sure it happened to you. I think it did. Maybe eighty eight eighty nine.
Speaker 14: Yeah, right now, My baby boy is the he's the starting quarterback.
Speaker 13: Has seen John Bosco as a freshman.
Speaker 1: So hey, I'll tell you that. Hey, I don't don't mean to cut you out there, George, but that's a heck of a thing right there. John Bosco in California is a real team and it starts a freshman. Congratulations you and your son.
Speaker 14: No, yeah, he had a real bad first half.
Speaker 15: He went two for seven, and then second half we went.
Speaker 14: Twenty for twenty two for two seventy and through four tubs. So he turned it around real quick. If not, he would have had the first loss of the season, and instead of being the number two and team in the country, he would have he would have definitely fallen out of the out of the rankings.
Speaker 1: So well, listen, we figured it out. Yeah, listen. Listed with that before we go to the question, I asked, so, I thought you had a guy, a kid who's the twenty twenty four class.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's my other son.
Speaker 14: He's at President State.
Speaker 1: He's a receiver. Oh okay, okay, what the heck with you? And you have you have a couple of girls or at least one playing softball UCLA or dad other daughter.
Speaker 6: She's uh, she transferred from UCLA.
Speaker 14: She graduated, She has a grad year, so she's getting her master's and playing.
Speaker 13: Her last year at Duke. So she's got Duke.
Speaker 14: And then my oldest daughter's international profile pro softball in New.
Speaker 1: Zealand right now. Sheez, holy crap, that's that's You're a pretty athletic family there. Well your wife, Your wife, I think she played something, right, did she?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 14: Yeah, she's she's the she's the winner. She's she's the one that carried them all, and that's the reason.
Speaker 16: Why we're at where we're at.
Speaker 14: So I give her all the I give her all the attention and make sure I thank her every day for her.
Speaker 1: Blessed Wow, it's gotta be fantastic family, very competitive. I'm sure let's go back to let's go back to the situation where they win a big game and then they falter the next Why does that happen? How does that happen?
Speaker 13: You know, we just kind of lose focused.
Speaker 14: You know, I wouldn't put it on the coaches. I think it's just, you know, internally, where the kids got, you know, the players just kind of like look at the next opponent. I mean, look, we lost Oregon State, which kind of was the achilles heel for us when all we had to do was betsc and wearing the rosebow.
Speaker 15: So you know, those times when.
Speaker 14: You should be mature about a situation. And that's why those times when the beat the Alabama's and and the Georgia's, you know, win and win big against you know, the Vanderbilts and those of the past years.
Speaker 5: Not the Vanderbilt that just want to be Alabama.
Speaker 14: This year, but you know those schools and normally are traditionally we should be dealt with in that manner. So I think the composure and the maturity of the team will determine whether or not they're going to, you know, be that great team that they're supposed to be or just kind of be luke warm lukewarm when you know you don't know whether or not they're gonna win or not depending on what which team shows up.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the whole thing, because the Dictomy coach teams were exactly that I'll do respect. I mean, any time they proved they said you couldn't do it, guess what you did, You did it. And then when they said it was going to be easy you couldn't do it or didn't do.
Speaker 13: It, that's it.
Speaker 6: You hit it on the nail.
Speaker 14: And I waste more time than than than not. We did take care of business and kind of playing those those New Year goals.
Speaker 13: That I know we could have back then.
Speaker 14: So I'm just kind of hoping and praying that back on the shaddle and take control.
Speaker 1: Of our destiny right right, tell me no, And I know, having done this for forever now. The one thing that people don't talk about is emotions of the game. You know, just being prepared emotionally and otherwise. How important is that you know your girlfriend could have broken up with you, class may not have gone well or whatever, your teammates might not like you, you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 14: I think more so now than ever, it plays a real big role because now the phone, social media and il deals, all that is on the table now.
Speaker 6: Back then when we really didn't have the phone and.
Speaker 14: We really didn't have a lot of those those luxuries that these kids have. You know, you open Pandora's box and as a result, you see a lot of the things that go on as a result these kids. You see I don't know if you saw it, but if you're that Alabama kid that was acting a fool right scare towards the tail end and they're doing the victory snap.
Speaker 15: And I'm sure enough if he kicked kicks the ball, I mean, who.
Speaker 1: Does that right, who. Yeah, and you know here's a you see that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you see that more now today than ever before. And it's because people allow for these this generation of kids to get away with murder.
Speaker 1: Right, No, no, you exactly right, there's no there's no ramification. Well, we were talking about this earlier too. Uh. Brennan admitted that some of the receivers or people were going in the wrong direction. They didn't know what they were doing or where they should be. And I'm thinking, how do you fix that? We were talking about, Well, you get them the hell out of the game, right to find somewhere else to go. Is that is that how you would handle it? That's exactly this portal.
Speaker 6: Gay Markus will open it up and really feed.
Speaker 14: That portal with you know, with a lot of this nonsense that's going on, because that's what's screwing up the game. You know a lot of the respect and the integrity of the game.
Speaker 13: Has really lost.
Speaker 14: It's it's it's flavored because you know, coaches allow for these these then I I ld to take the you know, the trajectory of the of the team and the.
Speaker 13: Programs, so you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 14: But at the same time, hopefully these these coaches can kind of read into the book of coach tom Me and and uh grab the bull by the horn and and steer it the way it needs to.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he makes a good point too, because I think that you don't want those kids to transfer, right, so you give them a little more leeway. Yeah, right, exactly. It's like going, oh, whatever it's going to take, just please don't transfer. It's like, yeah, you don't have you don't have the hammer.
Speaker 13: That's true, you need to have the hammer. A lot of these kids wouldn't be acting the.
Speaker 14: Fool that they are, so right, No, no program is when coach steps into the room and every everybody is signing because.
Speaker 6: They know the food.
Speaker 14: Known for a fact, something is about to happen and if somebody opens their.
Speaker 13: Mouths and they're going to be dealt with.
Speaker 14: So both days, hopefully are are coming back to some of these programs.
Speaker 13: But you know what I see now is just man's well, it's life action.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, right, no lights, camera action, and where's my cash? Where's my cash? Well, look at look at the.
Speaker 13: Kid at U and l V O V and that he says, well, I'm out.
Speaker 1: I'm like Wow.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and then next man, come on in, get your opportunity and see that.
Speaker 1: That huge defensive lineman at Alabama. He's like, yeah, I'm just not getting a playing time, so I'm gonna red shirt.
Speaker 13: What the heck?
Speaker 1: Well, I tell you. You know, it's like we were just talking about, you know, Army and Navy or are both five and oh they don't have any No, they don't can't take any nail money, and they don't have anybody transfer in. So they come in and they stay their development.
Speaker 14: I think that's the positive that comes from Portal, if there's any positive, is that there's a distribution of the talent. So a lot of these programs that normally don't have guys are starting to have guys, and they're starting to kind of change the atmosphere on campus. And then you have a Vanderbilt win how many years forty last time they beat Alabama, So you definitely have gold posts being torn down and taken to the river. So I think you can see a lot more of those simply with the balance of the distribution of challenge.
Speaker 1: So you have four kids, right, four kids now, and who've played? Do you do you want at the big levels? Uh? Did you tell them don't act like a food or did they already know that because they just knew that.
Speaker 14: Oh, there are no one phone call to the house.
Speaker 5: It's you know, definitely.
Speaker 1: No, I mean that's that's gone. I mean, yeah it is.
Speaker 14: Yeah, general, I will be there and I will knock on that door and I will make you look like an idiot in front of all your players.
Speaker 15: Don't make daddy come down and do what you don't want to be done.
Speaker 6: So you better fix it here.
Speaker 1: So here's the funny part though, that before you say it's mostly the at this time, the parents go to teachers, you the you're the problem.
Speaker 13: A lot of times it is, but you know, think about it.
Speaker 14: All the ones that are the problems are the ones that have never been there, done.
Speaker 1: That right, right, So you're the ones that have been there.
Speaker 14: Done they They they are the ones who kind of like figure it out, make it happen. This is just your valley, gets to the mountain and do your thing. So you see a lot of the times, a lot.
Speaker 6: Of these parents that that are acting up are the ones that never played it down.
Speaker 15: Yeah, never played on the field.
Speaker 14: Are just using their their they're going through their child's experience because they've never been there, right, so.
Speaker 1: You get your your son. Uh it's CoA? Is that?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that how you pronounce his name? Co CoA?
Speaker 5: Is my baby?
Speaker 4: Boy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The U not a baby? No more there George? That the man if she's starting to what is the size? What is the size? Hell? Yeah, he's not you all right? So that so so he goes out and get some get some big He goes out and gets some big nil deal. Uh and uh when he when he gets gets to me, quarterback, are do you think he's gonna stay in a program or it's gonna be go shop yourself around? Son? What's your approach on that?
Speaker 13: I didn't hear that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well so so if he if he says, uh, are you gonna have him shop himself around? Like once he gets to one program, gonna be like, oh no, you're gonna go go go jump to another program. See if you can get something better. You're gonna be like you're gonna stay where you're at and develop what's your what would be? You know?
Speaker 15: Because once you started shopping him.
Speaker 14: Around, then you kind of feel is it you know, hey, who needs to be fixed?
Speaker 1: Is he you go the program.
Speaker 14: So when you keep on, you know, adjusting yourself and going to different campuses, there's several kids that have gone to several programs and it doesn't seem like the program broke. So it's one of those things where you just gotta you know, hey, it's life. You gotta If you can't figure it out here, right.
Speaker 15: What makes you think you're gonna figure it out? You know, when you have your family, when you have your.
Speaker 14: Kids and you're you're up against that that wall, you're gonna have to go ahead and climb over that wall.
Speaker 15: So it's just one of those things that I think.
Speaker 14: It's just something that I believe in that you gotta go ahead and and take care of business, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the way we know how to. No, very true, Very true. You answered that a lot better than I asked it. But that was an outstanding answer. Yeah, let me ask you. Clearly a family of character, right right, no question. So let me get one more question. So your baby guy here, uh, he must have taken it, taken it tough because these older kids that you have must have been competitive as all hell, and he learned from them and probably had to take a lot of lumps. Are you there be there. Yeah, can you did you hear my question? You got so many question You have so many great kids, and he's the baby of it. He probably took a lot of loves learning and losing, learning and losing from them.
Speaker 14: You know, just kind of seeing what the baby has learned.
Speaker 13: He saw all the.
Speaker 14: Other threes to kind of go through their trials and there, and I think him kind of seeing it and seeing what happens, he's able to kind of take each each one of their experiences and really not only learn, but just kind of taking in and allow for his his run right now, which is I mean, he's the first quarterback under twenty two years at Boston to come in as a freshman and start.
Speaker 1: So I think a lot of those.
Speaker 14: Different things that he was able to kind of see his older siblings go through, he's able to kind of take in and kind of used to his advent and basically just kind of you know, spear his own ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah is he al righty? Lefty? What is he?
Speaker 13: He's the Righty's the righty?
Speaker 1: Okay? All right? Well, George, I appreciate your time. Always good to talk to you. Appreciate you guys.
Speaker 13: Thanks, I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Hey, you guys, take care of bear Down. Yeah, good luck, good luck to your son and the rest of your family. It's fantastic, spicated Yeah, thank you, Thank you, George, George Mello. We'll come back on the other side. Get through that talk more. Anybody going to call please do. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Lemanhnely with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 1: Space in your life.
Speaker 17: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona.
Speaker 1: Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 18: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate. You need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PIMA dot edus slash Someday.
Speaker 1: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friend at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roofed, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell, or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 19: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebelspoker dot com.
Speaker 2: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the Heart radio just search Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Vera, in with me. Today is Mike Quinn got Henry, you got Matt good discussion, Good show today, Good show. That's we get twelve minutes. We can screw it up. If you want to call, please do five to two zero four one, six, seventy four forty. We'd like to hear from you. How wrong were you over the weekend?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh right, were you over the weekend? Well, the right was it was yours Mike under Yeah, the under You didn't talk about that right before we do. It was sixty something or fifty four was the was over under Man. It's like, hey, I picked that early. Yeah, yeah, that was the That was the stone cold lock of the weekend. Yeah. When you kick five field goals this five times twenty, they would have had some more things, could have had two more touchdowns. It was just one of those games. Yeah. I also believe in the football gods and all that they find you. Yeah, we just do well. Everyone you know, moves to the moves to the the mean, you know, regrets to the mean. Right, and before the year, I remember we talked to the We talked to him Friday, the beat writer for for Texas Tech, and he wasn't too optimistic. He had Arizona winning, and back in July August, he said, these guys aren't that good. Yeah, well, you know, Arizona could have won that game. I mean clearly could have won that game. Yeah, a lot of things, you know, things go well for they make it on that fourth down, right right. We got a call. You're on the airline in the ball This is Steve. Who's this?
Speaker 5: I say this, Jeff.
Speaker 9: They're taking my call. You're on and we're at the game Saturday. A couple of things like the menage one.
Speaker 5: We were there to the very end. We're sctually twenty two twenty one. Nobody left at the very end of the game.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we were screaming, yeah.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 9: That's it was still sore from the defense. Give us something to cheer for him. Man, they're yeah, they're impressive.
Speaker 1: Right right, So let me tell you which side of the Which side of the line is that on the west side of the east side? I don't know.
Speaker 5: W Yeah, we're on the west side. The visitin.
Speaker 1: Nobody left, Yeah, we we we talked. We talked earlier about the grade. What grade would you give the defense so far this year?
Speaker 5: Oh? Well, the last.
Speaker 9: Two games you got to give him a you know, a minus or a even. I mean we had the turnovers last week, the effort they put forth, I mean they kept us in the game.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt. Who's the other point, who's the other point?
Speaker 5: Well had off game.
Speaker 9: I mean he over he was a little late on some of his throws. Overthrew a couple in the end zone when we were up by one, moving the ball down the field. Second the last possession, we're running the ball, and I said, yeah, this is good eating up the clock if we can just get a field goal. At Ford forced them to go the whole the field, you know, to get a touchdown, and then uh, we threw up past the end would stop the clock. Said we should have done that, should have just kept running it, let the clock run.
Speaker 5: So I didn't like that play call.
Speaker 1: Right, What did you think about the play calls the last two weeks, because apparently it's changed, right, we have different.
Speaker 5: Oh, absolutely, I see a difference.
Speaker 9: The first three games I was impressed with to the last game.
Speaker 5: That could tell there was definitely a change. And I didn't.
Speaker 9: Think except for them, you know, I would like to some to see them keep running and run the clock down. There in that Uh, there's like sixty five minutes laps right there in the left fourth quarter. Other than that, I mean, you know, I mean Fafita's had an off game. Man, he's a little laid on, throws over through something that. Oh that interception to McMillan and the end zone, Yeah, he just double covered. There's a tight end, wide open repend middlefield.
Speaker 13: Yeah, scream middle of the field right there.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, apparently that's not the first time. There's been a few times that's happened. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well I was been, I was disappointment. I was on then.
Speaker 1: So so you must be you must be a season ticket holder. Yeah, so you're you're you're going home on these guys obviously, Uh, what do you what do you think is gonna happen the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, when I started this season, I was you know, I figured I was hoping about ten and two, with my high hopes for nine and three. Maybe now I figured I hoping we split between Kansas State and Utah. This is just a game that we should have won, though, I mean, this is just a this is a punch in the gut. But now you got that, Now you got to rely on the coaches, uh, to get the kids up, you know, I mean the season isn't over still young, you know. Yeah, we got two losses, but hey, you know, we can get a lot of wins still ahead of us.
Speaker 5: So you gotta now it's up the coaching staff to go round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot to play for. I mean, you know, it's like, yeah, we can still get to a pretty decent bowl if we put it together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, uh u y U is a good team. Didn't they beat Kansas State? Yeah? Well, I mean that's a good team.
Speaker 1: You gotta Yeah, it's gonna go very well, or it's not gonna go well at all. I mean that's kind of obvious. But but they could go and everyone could go and just kind of look bad or or.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean that's you know, you gotta take the punch in the gut. They gotta and you just gotta keep moving forward, you know.
Speaker 5: It's uh, we gotta know, there's no easy teams are playing.
Speaker 9: You just gotta be at the top of your game, you know, Right.
Speaker 1: Every week sounds easy, sounds the solution sounds easy.
Speaker 9: But well, and that's well, And I think that comes to coaching. You gotta get them to get them coached uff.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, right, And that's part of the problem. I'm not sure. I think that's what They're missing something.
Speaker 9: Well, and then you know, and like when we were waiting for the first couple of seasons, the Jeff Fish, you know the jury is still out, you don't know. You got to show us. You know the jury's out. You gotta do what you can do.
Speaker 1: Well, Thanks a bunch, Thanks a bunch for calling your first time calling. Second, we'll keep calling. Thanks a bunch. Yeah, we love the phone calls. Yeah, I'm really surprised that we don't get people more people chiming in disagreeing with you with your terrible takes. Well, they are tired of my tailor terrible. They were so tired what they called Jay Jay. Yeah, what the heck? Right? But I still think talking to the guys here, they're missing something and I want to point to some kind of aggressive and maybe I'm not seeing it because you don't see it on the on the field. He's very nonchalant or he's very whatever passive or whatever emotion that he shows. And I hear it from people who are my friends and who have give money. The clapping both to your friends, both of my friends, of my friends is clapping and is less of get into your face and and some coaches don't need that. Sometimes coaches don't need it. Yeah, I know sometimes they don't. But you're not that coach you would say I would. Yeah, well i'd be different. I'm a I'm a tyrant. Like you said, I'm a terrible coach. Yeah, the cost will be quite You gotta call Hey, you on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 15: Hey, guys, this is Vick Vick Vic are you Are you okay?
Speaker 1: I don't have to call anybody to say if you're okay.
Speaker 16: I'm okay. I just had a call and defend myself because I'm telling you that uh you said about t mac and uh, I guarantee you Steve. There was a scout somewhere on one of these teams that saw him drop those passes and told the other scout, hey, you take them. I don't want them.
Speaker 1: There's no way. There's just no way.
Speaker 16: Yeah. I've sat next I sat next to scouts in baseball. Guy hit the ball four hundred feet and the White Sox scouts said, I don't want that guy he drops his hands too much, little things like that. And if you don't think I'm right, then how do you explain Guys that are go to the combine are not on anybody's radar, and then all of a sudden they run a four two forty and all of a sudden they shoot the draft like WHOA, no, no.
Speaker 1: And that's and that's my defense, because he's going to go to the combine and say, holy crap, we didn't know he was this good because here you're seeing him in games here, not in every day you're not seeing him at the combine. That's where people make it. People tell me, oh, he's gonna be in the NBA. No, how many people do you see from no school that you didn't heard of? They're in the NBA and some other dude that you see is not.
Speaker 16: Well exactly, And that's what that's my argument is. You got four years of film and then all of a sudden you run a four two forty at the combine, which you've never done in your life, and you shoot up the chart and you're like WHOA.
Speaker 15: So like I said, I believe me, I'm.
Speaker 16: The biggest t MAAC fan in the world. You know that and I am not knocking him one bit, but you can't. You're a star and stars have to win games. No, Hey, I can't.
Speaker 1: I talked about.
Speaker 16: That mumble and drop ball, ye, all that stuff. I mean here to Montana, Brady Mariano reve Uh, those guys have to win games.
Speaker 1: I hear you. And I said that. Yeah, he was a Superman. Superman can't lose his cape, and.
Speaker 16: He did exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, we gotta go.
Speaker 15: We gotta okay, you're up against it.
Speaker 16: Okay, you got.
Speaker 1: Thank you man, Thanks, you get another call. Yeah, we gotta Okay, we've got a call. We got a call. Bill. You're in the air. You're in the air.
Speaker 3: Hey, Oh wow, I was quick.
Speaker 1: He's t money, see money. Let me tell you something. I was going home the other day. I found out I heard you were cheating on me.
Speaker 20: Hey Man, National shows.
Speaker 1: Something you were you were talking to you were talking, you were earning ticket you were winning tickets from David Kelly.
Speaker 5: Hey, I get the tickets to my nephew.
Speaker 20: Hey, so man, team Charito McMillan, Man, I don't. I don't know about scouts, but you can love somebody and lose respect for them at the same time those one handed stats.
Speaker 9: I mean, I could hear my own.
Speaker 20: Man yelling at me just watching it for doing something like that.
Speaker 9: It's always two hands.
Speaker 1: It's always yeah, yeah, use two hands. I can hear my dad saying it right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 20: And then when he got peanut punched at the end, it's like, come on, man, don't be soft. Don't be a front runner like we're that was the play of the game. Where uh where Rodriguez Romirez whatever, like you know, like that was the play of the game. Like he would assaulted the game away right there. So are you here to win or are you here to go to the league? Like I don't know, like maybe do both? Maybe do both. Yeah, that's what two songs about. Two songs about Teddy Bruce Key's two Sons about Brandon Sanders. That's what two sons about. So, hey, this kid he got to Yeah, Okay, you're gonna go to the league and make some money.
Speaker 13: That's cool.
Speaker 20: But why don't you make your mark while you're here and win some football games?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, I hear you. I hear you. Just like Vic Vick, you guys are falling fast on the t MEC trend. Here it was he was Was he out there just trying to make a play and somebody made someone else someone else made a play or was it just uh, do you think he was showboating it?
Speaker 20: No, when he got peanut punched, he just he his mindset wasn't there.
Speaker 9: He wasn't thinking someone's gonna.
Speaker 20: Come and punch him in the mouth. Yeah, that did not come into his head at all. He's a front runner, and so he has to understand and it ain't about that. You're gonna you're gonna have to protect the ball. You're gonna have to get down and dirty the goat. Jerry Rice six foot one. He would cover the ball with both hands when he's in the middle of the field.
Speaker 1: Okay, you still my dad. I still heard my dad yelling at mean T money. Thanks again for the call. Don't matter me. You can go to call David Kelly too. It's okay, all right, call here anytime. Yeah, got T money? Thanks you bunch man, Thanks a bunch. Have we gotta go, right, we gotta go. Let's take that. I see tomorrow