Speaker 1: Monster House presents.
Speaker 2: The Monster Talk is combining forces with the popular skeptical podcast Skeptoid as we Brave the Bermuda Triangle in twenty twenty five. I'll be one of the skeptic celebrities participating in this adventure in the warm waters off the coast of Florida. Will we find the Missing Flight nineteen? Will we find proof of Atlantis? Will sea musters pilot us through these mystery filled waters? No? But I promise you there will be science and history filled discussions and plenty of puns if I have anything to do with it. Early bird pricing is still available, so come get some sun, visit beautiful places, or roll your eyes at my terrible puns, and raise money to fund Skeptoid and Monster Talk shared mission of promoting epticism in science while still enjoying a good mystery. Early bird pricing ends January thirty first, so hurry up and sign up. Check the show notes for a link, or go to Skeptoid dot com and click events to find your way onto Braving the Bermuda Triangle a Skeptoid adventure. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature part Ape part Matt in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland, get the creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monster Tall.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. Hey, they're Monster Talkers. So we did an end of the year live stream last weekend. This episode is an audio rebroadcast of that without the movie pictures that you would see on the YouTube. It's been a hectic week for me as I wind out my holiday break. I got a ton of work done on my technology book. I worked on rearranging my recording studio. I built a new writer's corner so I can hopefully focus on finishing my first draft this winter. And I started trying to teach my kids to drive. I built some shelves for what I'm calling Cosplay Corner, a place that will encourage my children to make their own stuff instead of buying everything online. I finished recording season four of In Research of with Jeb Card, though there's lots of editing to do. I cleaned out my garage. I helped my parents with some electrical issues, and I completely rearranged my bedroom furniture. Now, why am I telling you all this? Because what I didn't do was save enough time to edit this episode, so I'm having to post it as is. And I can't remember if we said any naughty things that would warrant an explicit tag. I don't think we did, but I don't know, So I'm airing on the side of caution and I'm slapping the explicit tag on this episode just in case. But don't be disappointed if you find there's nothing too naughty in the content. I'm sure we'll have Ken Faeder on again soon enough. We hope to do more of these live episodes in twenty twenty five, and we definitely enjoy it when you good folk are able to join into the chat and discussion. So stay tuned and I'll try to make sure you get a invite ahead of time. Now here's our previously recorded more.
Speaker 4: Obstrutal exactly what we are live.
Speaker 2: We are live, excellent? All right, Hi everyone, it was live.
Speaker 4: It's still said setting up your meeting, but we know it's live.
Speaker 2: But we know it's live. This is all being recorded, and so anything embarrassing, Oh is there something on my nose? Okay? Ultra professional, ultra visial.
Speaker 1: That's us.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Monster Chop.
Speaker 4: Welcome everybody, Welcome to our twenty twenty four Year and Review episode. I'm Matthew Baxter, and sitting with me is Blake Smith. Hey, doctor Karen Stoles.
Speaker 2: Now hi, all right, I'm going to try to join the chat without messing everything up locally, hopefully hopefully. All right, here we go. Well, hey, I'm in all right, cool, We're able to chat and we're able to talk. So thanks for joining us, everybody. This is our twenty twenty four year in review.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we wanted to fit in one more of these live shows, and we do want to do them more frequently. It's just difficult sometimes to rally the troops, isn't it, to get proverbials together? But we'll try and do more of things again.
Speaker 2: It's true. It's true that that's one of our mini goals of twenty twenty five, which we'll talk about if we go along.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, it's been a good year in a year in some ways, but in terms of Cryptids and Monster Talk, I think collectively we've achieved a lot. We've done a lot of interesting things and lots of fun topics and stuff outside of Monster Talk too. I guess everything is part of Monster Talk.
Speaker 2: We're trying to do things weekly w ee k l y, but not weekly w e A k l y.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you know, and I think were succeeding because you know, Karen Blake and I were talking before you came on that. I think Monster Talk is having a really good impact on everybody because, as you know, Karen, you and I were doing a search for like the top ten you know, cryptid sightings, the top ten paranormal things that happened in twenty twenty four, and every time we started the video, it would go this first video in twenty eighteen or shot in twenty nineteen. It demonstrates that not much happened in twenty twenty four because Monster Talk was teaching science.
Speaker 2: Also because I've been out killing cryptids with my guns, right.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, that makes me think of that story that we read about today. Yeah, it can be the dangerous wope to go out and do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, we had We went almost all year without anybody dying from bigfoot hunting. But right here at the end, you want to talk about that a little bit because that's still it's very sad because I think looking for bigfoot is a very fun thing to do, even though I don't think you're going to find a bigfoot. It's a great way to get out in the wild unless.
Speaker 1: And I don't know all the details, Matt don't Collidier.
Speaker 4: I did not get an opportunity to read it. It's been a crazy day. Yeah, I've been trying to hang a TV in the basement. I've been trying to clean up the garage. So yeah, no, I did not get well, I did read the article.
Speaker 2: My recollection, without fact checking, is that it was two Oregonians who went out just before Christmas and that didn't return on Christmas Eve when they were expected, and sadly they both died of exposure to the cold, which is very unfortunate, and I'm very sorry to hear about it. I'm always sorry to hear about people's deaths. But you know, when people are out doing something that is fun and mysterious, it's especially impactful for me considering how many stupid things I've done in this field. So yeah, yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I mean there are certainly dangers, whether it's ghost hunting or for big food or you know, whenever people do these kinds of things, it can land with hot border and it's just something not worth it.
Speaker 2: No, certainly not. But on a more pot note, I mean over the course of twenty twenty four, we covered a lot of stuff. I mean I was just looking back at the list. Vampires, ghosts, conspiracies, dog man, archaeological hope. I'm not going to read the whole list, but boy, go to monster talk dot org and check out the year because it's we've We've covered a lot of neat stuff. Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's an impressive collection of things that we've covered. And I think doing the show weekly, not w E A K L L Y, but weekly, I think we were able to cover a lot more ground and a lot more topics that we want to cover. And I think we want to go into our bucket list stuff for next year a little bit at some point too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, that's a great idea.
Speaker 4: But you, Matt, you're going to say something, Well, I was just gonna say I noticed that one of the things we covered was Silver City Cemetery ghosts. Was that supposed to be silver Cliff Cemetery? Close? It was okay, because I was gonna say, I totally missed that one somehow.
Speaker 1: It probably is a silver city somewhere peer as well.
Speaker 4: And the cemetery is probably Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was me writing for Memory. It wasn't very.
Speaker 4: Good, No worries.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Blake. What were some of your favorite episodes from twenty twenty four?
Speaker 2: Boy, I liked a lot of them. I mean, I love doing the show and I'm amazed that after all these years we could still find new things to talk about in new angles. But I think one of the surprising ones, and I think this is probably on CAREN's list too, was the episode on the wallet and gnomes that was so peculiar. I'd never heard of it before, so I was really happy to cover that. The Zimbabwe Goblins, Yeah yeah, and I like sort of you know, getting that sort of cultural context to where these stories come from is really cool and I want to keep like for as a goal going forward. I want to get more global monsters that we tend to be. And this is my fault is from an editorial perspective, we don't get enough global monsters Asia, Africa, South America, Central America. We need to get out of the United States and Europe. I think a little bit especially out of the English speaking world. That's where we can easily read a lot of the stories. But the monsters are everywhere, the stories are everywhere. I'd like to make sure we cover all those.
Speaker 4: Monsters bring us all together.
Speaker 2: That's right, they're the forest, they're the great uniters.
Speaker 1: Seem to be a universal, but I think we have touched upon other cultures. We've looked at Japanese ghosts, and we've looked at Bolkan ghosts. But yeah, I mean there's still so many more to cover, And yeah, that's absolutely on the bucket list for me as well. And excuse me, I'm still nursing a cold here. I really want to cover Australian magpies, so not American magpies. Apparently there's a difference between the two. But I just know I spent many many days in Australia dodging magpies who like to kind of fly down and attack you when they're when they're protecting their babies. And my mother had an experience when I was quite young where she almost had her I taken out by a magpie. So I think that they're really interesting birds and they're so clever as well. And I know we've touched upon birds here and there. The cassowary this year. That was a really interesting topic and we looked at owls and certainly lots of ours as an explanation for a lot of phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Make Joe Nicol proud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, but yeah, I like to treat that. And the greenland shark. I think that's kind of like the Meger pythons. Do you remember how much difficulty we had.
Speaker 2: Yes. And there's such weird animals too, and I love the first of all, the fact that they live for hundreds of years is peculiar. Oh the fact that people you can't eat them because they're full of ammonia, but if you bury them for a year or so, you can do stuff to make them edible. But why would you, But they do, people do. But the weirdest thing to me is their eyes and what goes on with so many of them have their eyes replaced by parasites, and that's just super freaky. Oh my gosh, yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was reading that there was one that was discovered that had been around since the time of the Tudor history in England and Henry the eighth, and I just thought that is just incredible.
Speaker 2: We have to oh the things he's seen. Oh no he hasn't because he's got worm fries.
Speaker 1: Okay, years then, but I really want to cover as well. Matt and I have been watching some videos on bothies haunted Bothy's. Are you familiar with those?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not even sure what word you're saying? What is that?
Speaker 1: What's a Celtic world hut? And they're these little kind of structures how oh.
Speaker 2: Like the little stone houses up in the mountains and then they have ghosts in them. Yes, yes, absolutely Scotland.
Speaker 4: I think I don't think they've ever been described quite like.
Speaker 2: That, but yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I think what's the British radio show Uncanny they've covered one in particular.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to get him on too as well, the host of that, but we'll talk about that later. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are I think of over a hundred of them around the British Isles, and a lot of people going to them. So they're free and people can just kind of camp overnight there. They're open to just open to the public and a lot of low a lot of history surrounding these places, and there's something kind of eerie they're very remote, just out in the middle of nowhere, and there's lots of ghost stories attached to them, so I think it would be really fun too.
Speaker 2: We just need that, we need to find a Buffy Buffer, who's bof Buffy Boffin, who's BOFO for skepticism, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I think that'd be a fun topic too. And I wrote a short story this year too about Abraham Lincoln and his ghost train, and I think we should cover that topic because just so many ghost stories attached to Abraham Lincoln. So that's another lot of my bucket list. Yeah, I think, just as you say, Blake, just just more kind of cultural cryptids from other cultures and across time. This is so much more out there. I mean, even after all of these years, since two thousand and nine doing the show, there are a lot of other topics that we have not covered yet that we are yet to get around to.
Speaker 2: People in the chatter are discussing my practical maybe doing a tongue twister kind of thing. Maybe I shouldn't. The one thing I did notice when I was looking back over the year is how many episodes we had on repeat guests I don't think we're repeating any content, but I just love like these people that I consider to be friends of the show, like Chris French during the Chris Woodyard, Joe Laycock, Joe Nickel, Brian Reegal, Justin Mallas, Laura Krantz. I mean, there's so many people that have, like they take their time in academia or other professional investigation approaches and are willing to come back and talk with us, and I just I think it's so great. There's so many people who love this stuff like we do, but still approach it through rationality and trying to understand it culturally and socially without necessarily being afraid of it, which is nice. I do want to promote science, but I also like the idea that we're somehow maybe subduing fear a little bit too. I know it certainly helped me personally as we've done these shows.
Speaker 1: So that's why we've explored these topics ourselves, and we got into it, and certainly takes a village to create monster Talk. It's not just us, it's all of the guests that we have. And yeah, we certainly do have a lot of good friends, and you know they're always doing interesting stuff, and it's so lucky to know these people and that they grace us with their presence on the show.
Speaker 4: Well what about great ideas coming from the Patreon members?
Speaker 2: They Yeah, yeah, we've great ideas. Absolutely, We've We've created a new form where people can submit story ideas or episode ideas, and that's already been actively being used, which I love. And we've got lots of stuff to research. So every time we do one of those episodes, we'll call out who managed to get it on the list first if we can find it. And and just I appreciate our patrons so much in the fact that they've helped literally keep the lights on for us. So that's been great.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And that's where I think we've got the idea for the bulletin gnomes as well.
Speaker 2: That was one of buy that's right, that's absolutely right.
Speaker 4: Did anything fun happen with Monster House in general this year?
Speaker 2: Well, it's been a pretty crazy year. We got out our first publication through our imprint, Joe Nichols, The Science of Monsters, and I'm excited to say to Nichol, Yeah, it's what an amazing thing. And Joe is so generous because every every issue or what's the right, every publication of that, every copy of that book supports the show, like all the He's not taking a dime for that, which is great, so very generous. Joe's been such a friend. I feel so lucky because I was a skeptic and a researcher for so many years without talking to Joe, and when I finally got in touch with him, it's just been such a treat and he's treated me so much like a colleague and never like an annoyance, which is very kind. So I appreciate that. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's a huge achievement for Monster House, for monst A Toll, really exciting and has the performing.
Speaker 2: Pretty well, I mean, especially considering the most of the advertising has just been through the show, so I'm very proud of that. I do need to actually put some money down, and I'm working on the audiobook still, so I think when the audiobook comes out, I will probably renew my efforts at advertising, so we'll see. And then I'm working on my own book too, on technology, which is not really a Monster topic, although I will be covering ancient aliens and how that stuff integrates with the whole concept of people why people don't understand where inventions come from.
Speaker 4: So interesting.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Matthew, What have you been up to this year?
Speaker 4: Oh man, Well, I have to say, you know, in terms of episodes that I absolutely love this year, my top ones Vampires with Brian Sharpless. Really enjoyed that episode. That was a great one, Late Night with the Devil, so much fun. Really enjoyed that. It was such a surprise, you know, in terms of you know, I mean, in terms of visiting an Academy Award winning movie. Well no, but did I have a blast watching it and watching that episode or being a part of that Monster Talk episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then that led to ghost Watch as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, ghost Watch is another one. It was just so much fun to have these both of these be twenty twenty four kind of topics.
Speaker 2: Also, I love that we covered that and then it showed up on Shutter. Now it's a lot easier to find a good copy of it. So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Now I jumped back into public speaking this year, and I did a quick talk for Ignite Ignite Denver and they happen around the country, so hop on those if you get a chance. If you want to do any talking, sign up. They are very fun to do. And then I spoke at Darkness Con, so frig night I talked about the skeletons at at Chieesman Park, and for Darkness Con, I talked about the Aliens and UFOs and and why they're probably not and that was fun. So it was good. And I watched the drone conspiracy theories with the complete disinterest. Not much more to say about that.
Speaker 1: And then there was the trip to the watchtown UFO Watchtown.
Speaker 4: You went to the UFO Watchtower and oh, my lord, what a junk yard that is? It is. Uh. Literally, if you get a chance to go to the watch tower, I do recommend it because you usually don't get charged just to look at a junk yard. So, uh, it's an experience in itself.
Speaker 2: I don't see it's it's it to get in.
Speaker 4: What's happened?
Speaker 2: Does it cost much to get in?
Speaker 4: Five bucks?
Speaker 2: I think, oh that's not bad.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well it was close.
Speaker 1: When we're there, And when we did the episode recently with Aaron, I was talking about it too, so I think a lot of our listeners will be familiar with that. But wasn't it strange how it just seemed like all of these altars to UFOs and extraterrestrials and people leaving behind coins and perfume and beads and little statues of aliens and just all kinds.
Speaker 4: Of stuff and say money out there.
Speaker 1: Like a kind of law of attraction, a law of attraction thing that they had going there, where if you left something and then you prayed or asked the universe for.
Speaker 2: Something that would meditate. Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was really interesting how that's that belief is transforming and becoming a lot more kind of spiritual. And we've talked about the parallels between uithology and a lot of the cults and religion, and you could certainly say that signing full force there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's Pasulka who's talking about it a new emergent religion, which I could see that, especially around the sort of UAP that sort of side of things, you know that there. But also it was always religious in some sense, I mean the contact ease. You know, they had so many ties to theosophy. So I find that very interesting, and it's not it's funny because religious studies people don't really have a clear definition for what religion is per se, but whether or not it's a matter of faith. It certainly seems to be. There's certain practices at play here and some of the sort of UFO air quoting technologies around contacting aliens with flashlights and thinking your thoughts into the universe and that sort of thing. It does come across as super spiritual and quasi religious. I don't I don't think it's that ambiguous, honestly, you know, Bolts.
Speaker 1: There are some groups that we've talked about before, like Share International there with Benjamin Krem and yes, yes, like the kind of Jesus figure and they talk about space brothers and space sisters, and there are a lot of a lot of overlap with euphology there, yeah, you know, and another other colts groups too, I think have had ties to extraterrestrials, probably for as long as those leaps that have been around.
Speaker 2: Even if you don't give a damn ski, there's something there.
Speaker 4: I want to talk really briefly about something that's not necessarily a monster talk thing. Actually two things. The first one is is that a gaming chair behind you, like it is.
Speaker 2: I don't actually game in it, but it is a gaming chair.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I want to say that my parentolia is really working overtime because it looks like you have a che there.
Speaker 2: With a cheer ohia, yes, yeah, totally cheradolia because it looks like a pair of like, uh, ski pants.
Speaker 4: That are kind of like resting over the chair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see that now. Now, I wouldn't have seen that had not someone from a place where you actually do see ski pants regularly shows up. I mean, like you won't see those in Georgia, right, but I can see what you're talking about. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really disturbing. And that leads me into my next topic. Twenty twenty four was a huge year for my mental health good and uh yeah, and and and I'm I'm questioning my mental health at the moment because I am seeing you know, Santa ski pants. But I did that. There you go, that's so much better. No, it's uh probably hardly anybody knows that I've got borderline personality disorder and uh pression in anxiety and things like that ADHD. Turns out, twenty twenty four was an amazing year for me in terms of recovery therapy all that that kind of stuff. I been seeing a DBT therapist and that's not the same as DMT. Although I heard that's good therapy as well. But seeing a DBT therapist for it's been eleven months now and it's it's been transformative, and I've been having a really good year in that sense. Because of that, I think I'm going to have a lot more to contribute to the YouTube channel this next year. I'm gonna be able to get back in and have some good focus and feel pretty darn good about things.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, man, I really that's amazingly brave to come out and say something like that. But I'm really glad it's working for you. That's awesome. Yeah, it really is. It really is.
Speaker 4: I just hope that it's making life easier for Karen as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's you know, it's difficult to live your whole life and think there's nothing wrong, and then everything's fine and everyone else is the problem, and then to turn inwardly and look to yourself.
Speaker 4: And I did spend almost every day thinking that Blake was the problems, Oh my god, and then it turns out it was actually me.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, people don't know, I mean people. You live an internal life and you struggle, and if you don't talk to somebody, nobody even knows what you're going through. So I I that's it's it's it's very commendable, and I hope I hope it's effective, you know. I mean, I hope it gets you what you'all need.
Speaker 1: The treatment that is undergoing is the gold star treatment for this condition, and it's so misdiagnosed. People commonly confuse it with a lot of other things that are out there, and there are a lot of people suffering and they don't need to. This particular treatment is really successful. And I think Matt just regrets that he hadn't got this diagnosis earlier and found some support earlier. And so I guess we encourage everyone out there, if you're troubled in any way, to try and get some support. I think we can all do with some support.
Speaker 4: It's easy an assessment, Just get an assessment. I guess. It is hard work. You've got to put in the work. And while I was working hard all of twenty twenty four, Karen was sitting on her hands doing nothing.
Speaker 1: It's very usual.
Speaker 4: Can you say more about that, Karen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can speak. Yeah. So I've done a ton of different things this year. The episode of Netflix's Father of the Unexplained where I spoke about Myrtle's plantation in Louisiana. That episode finally came out. So I've done a lot of media work this year, a lot of interviews, and another fun thing that I did, I did a number of interviews for Universal Studios. I've got some more coming up as well for Blu ray editions of movies that they've released this year, and one of them was for The Wolfman, the twenty ten version, and another was The Last Voyage of the Demeter, which came out that was last year, and so that's why we tackled I think were wolves and vampires so much because I was doing research for those interviews. So that was a lot of fun. And one of the main things for this year was releasing this book book. I really hope everyone's going to go and check this book out. It's not just a book about etymology and word origins. It really is a deep dive into this word and the pop culture surrounding it, and I go into there's a real feminist approach to it, but I really do look at the way that the word is used, it's meaning and usage over time, and I guess I've I've turned Matt off you.
Speaker 2: You're relentless and dogged pursuit of the origins, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, very nice. I see what you did there. But yeah, it's so. I look at the controversy surrounding the word the house, how much it's been banned over time, But it really does go down a lot of rabbit holes too, about insults in general, and just.
Speaker 4: Oh please be my guess, better you than me at the moment. Bitch is a bitch of a word. It used to be a straightforward insult, but today, after so many variations and efforts to reject or reclaim the word, it's not always entirely clear what it means. Bitch is a chameleon. There are good bitches and bad bitches, sexy bitches and psycho bitches, boss bitches, and even perfect bitches. This eye opening, deep dive account takes us on a journey spanning a millennium, from its humble beginnings as a word for a female dog through to its myriad meanings today, proving that sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks. To see what she did there? I do I do It praises the colorful history and ever changing meaning of this powerful and controversial word and its relevance within broader issues of feminism, gender, race, and sexuality. Despite centuries of censorship and attempts to ban it, bitch has stood the test of time. You may wonder, is the word going away anytime soon? Bitch? Please?
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's great. I'm pretty proud of it. It's it encompasses a lot of research, a lot of work, and I'm getting some good reviews for it.
Speaker 4: And number one, number one in the Cambridge University bookstore.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's very cool.
Speaker 4: One for months now.
Speaker 2: It took courage to write it, and we're not trying to hound you, but do get a copy, right, Oh.
Speaker 1: Very well done, Very well done. So I'm working on another book now and it's Jays Blake.
Speaker 4: That is my problem.
Speaker 1: I'm working on another book now, sorry, called Beyond Words, and it's how we learn, use, and lose language. So I'm looking at language acquisition. How do we learn languages, language from scratch? And where does language come from? How did we develop an evold language through to how do we learn multiple languages? And how do we speak? And what happens when things go wrong if we have a disorder or a condition or develop something like dementia later in life? How do we lose language? So it's another deep dive and just a personal interest of mine. It's an area of non psycho linguistics. It's language and psychology.
Speaker 4: From psycho bitch to cygno linguistics exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, we're going to lose our monetization if indeed.
Speaker 3: We have it.
Speaker 4: We don't have monetization.
Speaker 1: How many times we use the B word there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the YouTube stuff is really weird to me. But I'm glad that it exists as a platform for us to be able to get out and do stuff like this. But boy, I've yet to figure out how people make money at it. Well, they seem to do a lot less intellectual stuff. So maybe we should have a fart machine. It's part of our something. Well, Matt, I hope that things work out that you're able to generate more content in twenty twenty five then, because I think you're as comparential investigator. Videos are well received, and I certainly appreciate all the work you do helping us get these live shows out because I am, as much as I'm decent at video editing, I am no good at multitasking in moving angles and yo and all that stuff. So yeah, it's too much for me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's always been championing the YouTube channel and just saying we've got to put out content. And so he's really been he spearheaded this whole thing. And I'm excited to see what he's going to do next year and to really get back into.
Speaker 4: It and to utilize my adhdu Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's monetizing your obsessions is super awesome when you can do it. That is a fact.
Speaker 4: Can I say everybody in the chat room, thank you guys so much. You guys will be in lovely tonight and kind and I do appreciate it. I just wanted to say that.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of people in the chat discord, we've added for our patrons. We turned on a discord channel, so if you support us on Patreon, you can now interact with other fans or supporters.
Speaker 4: Of the show.
Speaker 2: I guess is a better way of putting it. I don't know. I appreciate the support, whether their fans or not. I'm very grateful. So yeah, and it's it's really neat. I like it because you can chat live if people are online, but you can also chat asynchronously if they're you know, you can respond to posts in the past, So it's unlike a lot of platforms where people interact. There's no artificial intelligence or algorithms hiding posts or you know, making It is threaded and it's persistent, and if you happen to catch people when they're on there, it's live. So it's very fun and I appreciate all the people who've been on there and chatting. So that's been a lot of a lot of fun to get into.
Speaker 1: Google, not Blue Sky. Well we finally joined you.
Speaker 2: Like thanks, Yeah, yeah, I really I've enjoyed Blue Sky. It it has there's the peril that it will succumb to politics and despair, but I've I've there's been plenty of very fun and pleasant threads about monsters or cats, a lot of cats. There's a shockingly number of dog photos. But boy, there's cat people. Man. Cat people love to get on the internet.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well yeah, I'm finding it to be less of a viper's den than the other alternative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly I'm.
Speaker 1: Seeing a lot of monster talk business on there. So if you're you're on Blue Sky, do you track us down and we follow.
Speaker 2: Back yeah, so I should if you if I put a post to the Discord invite and it expires like every I don't know how long. So if you're a patron and don't have an active invite, just email me and I will be glad. Doctor Alanis at gmail dot com. I'll be glad to get you an invite. It's not a problem. So I can.
Speaker 1: On Facebook as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just I can't. I can't make a non expiring link as near as I can tell. But everybody who is as a patron is invited to join as far as I can tell, So yeah, I don't know. I'll also look into that see if there's any work around for that. But I am happy to send people an active link that's not.
Speaker 4: There's a discord expert that's listening right now, feel free to pop that in the chat.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And I'm an automation guy. I mean, I probably could just do a thing where figure out what the expiration date is and automate updating the posts every X amount of time with a new link, but I have I have not pursued that yet. So I know how to do lots of things. I'm good at figuring out things it's just finding time. That's where where I sort of fall apart. So yeah, yeah, So what'd you get for Christmas? Like I got a hug? I don't know, you know, honestly, it's it's kind of sad. The uh, my lovely wife who's in the chat right now, she got COVID over the holidays, so we had a rather dude Christmas. So I suspect some of what you gave her for Christmas, you know, honestly, I was I was supposed to bring one of my Christmas presents to this call, and I messed up and lifted upstairs. But I got a a yetti in a in a rock it's like, and you put water on it and then over over seventy two hours, it emerges from the stone.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, we need one of those.
Speaker 2: Jesus do that I might, Yes, pulled the yetti from the stone. It's one of the best miracles of the Bible. Yeah, I believe my wife got that from Second in Charles, which is.
Speaker 4: Jesus submerged from after seventy two hours.
Speaker 2: Yes, seventy two hours later, Yes, the stone is rolled away, revealing the Yedi and Jesus Christ. Yeah, it sounds vaguely blaspheming, So I'm going to stop or getting.
Speaker 4: Getting a piggyback ride from the Yetnie I see.
Speaker 2: Prior to this this chat, like two hours ago, I was having a very peculiar conversation issue with my parents where I guess I was fed up with just keeping stuff inside and they my parents are very developed and faithful religious people, but very conservative, and my dad started talking about dinosaurs and younger creationism, and I just I couldn't do it anymore. I just I gave them a thirty minute lecture on how we can know that evolution is or natural selection is a working mechanism. I don't know what they made of all that, because I was on a rant and I could not stop. Once it got going, I could not stop. But I thought, my god, I'm being coaching for being so angry. So they didn't. They didn't perform an exorcism or kicked me out of their house. I think it was all good. So yeah, it was all good.
Speaker 4: So Kara and I, Karan, and I still see your beauty.
Speaker 2: You know. The thing is what I'm leaning towards in my research on my book is the idea that natural selection processes are relevant. This is not my unique idea. Kevin Kelly and a few other Matt Ridley and a few other writers have sort of touched on this. But part of what I'm writing about is the parts of natural selection that are applicable to technology. And so I think I've had some pretty good insights, which I hope to get into my book. I'm not going to spoil them here, but it's the kind of stuff that has calmed me the hell down because a lot of things about the world really annoy me when technology of the present day is crap compared to five years ago. But now that at least I can understand how it fits into that model, it's helping me be less RANTI allegedly. I mean, I think my kids have, yeah, pouring it into the book instead of into my kid's ears, because my kids really don't care turns out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think that they do. But yeah, that's interesting because I think that the conversation with your parents was a long time coming, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: You could say that, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because my tolerance for smug sanctimony has run low.
Speaker 1: Well, I occasionally have conversations with members of my family about skepticism or there's things and it seems like they're very minable to it in that moment. Yeah, then when they have exposure to other people, it's like everything just washes away and they go right back to where they are came from. And I guess watching Sky News, which is the Australian equivalent of.
Speaker 2: Fox ah, well, you know, it comes down Nobody wants to use the word epistemology, but it comes down to epistemology, like how do you know what's true? How do you know what's the mechanism that gets you to your certitude if you have certitude. And I think scientific skepticism doesn't give people a lot of certitude, but it gives you a lot of confidence that at least maybe you're less wrong than other people.
Speaker 1: Maybe you know, And I think it depends on your socialization, how you're raised, you know, what your beliefs are, and just what you're being brought up with over decades and decades, it's going to be really hard to cast aside those the shackles, you know, whether it's religion or talking about mental health as well, these things to change is one of the hardest things to do, especially as you get older.
Speaker 2: Well, and people want to be confident and they want a simple, understandable explanation for things. And it turns out that the world is actually really complicated, and I hear so.
Speaker 1: At the same time in some ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how many times have you seen on the internet people saying, well, I don't know much about that. But here's what I think, Well, what are you doing, Like if you don't know much about it, why are you interjecting your opinion? Because maybe what you should do instad it Because I don't know much about that, so maybe I should do some actual research. You know, I don't know much about that, so maybe I should keep my thoughts aside.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think often the more opinionated they are are, the less you know, research that they've done on a topic. And it's I guess, emotion coming from a place of emotion and belief.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it was that Dunny Krueger, like, your certitude might be inversely proportional to your competency, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think that these are things that we all fight, you know, we've all got blind spots, and even the skeptics we see all the time. I tried to fight it in myself and you know, when you've got good people around you too, they can identify.
Speaker 2: It in you.
Speaker 1: And but yeah, I think it's a it's part of the human condition as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to monsters for just a minute. I wanted to mention that I managed to go see the new Nosferatu movie and I wait, yea, was that this is this Nospara three?
Speaker 1: I've heard that joke before.
Speaker 2: They should have Yeah, they could have made not Sharah too, But no, No, it was glorious. And I know my wife this is a vampire hater, uh in in a big way. But the this was one of the most relentlessly brutal Gothic masterpieces of horror I've seen in some time. Uh I love it. I love a horror movie where you actually feel a sense of horror, and that's what we got here. It was. It was glorious. I loved every minute of it. Yeah, no, it was great. I really I went in with I didn't watch any of the trailers, any of the previews, I didn't read any of the reviews. I just went in cold and with a little apprehension, honestly, and uh I was. I was enormously pleased. I was unhappy. I mean I was. It was as bleak as hell Jesus is bleak, but it was exactly what I wanted. And uh, that was great. I really loved it. So I'm just going to say as a monster lover, as a lover of the history of how people have interacted with these creatures folklore and history, boy, yeah, I mean I'm glad that I don't believe on these things are real, but if they were real, this is about how I would expect it to play out. So yeah, yeah, And is it some.
Speaker 1: Very different from the classic movie or the.
Speaker 2: But I don't want to spoil anything about it. But but uh, it tracks true to the original Nosatu, which itself was a sort of illegal bastardization of Dracula. So it hits a lot of the same notes, but it tends to hit them in a gothic chord. It's it's really really good. It's really good.
Speaker 4: So oh coolked it up.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 2: You won't regret it. You won't regret it. I mean, unless you're looking for comedy, then you will totally regret it, because it is not a comedy.
Speaker 4: We were talking about it that we might go check it out of the next fewme.
Speaker 2: Did you did you guys see Midsummer that the sort of the full corror moving I think so it's very bleak. I mean so, I just just as long as you go in knowing you're you're getting bleak, and you're mentally prepared for bleak, and that's what you're looking for, you'll be very happy you're looking.
Speaker 1: Thinks that we should do some more episodes of based on a true story.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. Yeah, I think yeah.
Speaker 1: As well, and yeah regular and blood tempests and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think those. I don't want to spoil anything. I'm not going to say anything, but yeah, this this this movie has some great historical notes. It has some great ties to real history, has some great ties to the novel Dracula, has some great ties to the original black and white silent film. So yeah, it's it's a treat. I liked it a lot.
Speaker 1: So yeah, want to watch in the New year for us, I think at this point, But yeah, yeah, I think we've tackled both of things that we had on our list of things to discuss. So have we got any questions from there? Anything anyone's talking about that they.
Speaker 4: I did have to ban somebody or block them. But seriously, Yeah, there was a troll in there and a bunch of garbage.
Speaker 1: Oh I think that's a first. Yeah. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: We've had to ban one other hop control, but I think you know, it's not common, So I got rid of him. Okay, that's going to see. We could mention that we managed to get to I managed to get to Cryptic Coon this year thanks largely to support from our listeners. So because at the last minute in my situation, Yeah, yeah, yeah, and I really appreciate the support on that. But I want to try to do some trips, maybe through like a GoFundMe or a kickstar or something thing where we can somehow manage to meet up and go do a peranial investigation. I don't know what that would.
Speaker 1: Be, but fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would really love to do that, you know, maybe like bring cameras, do a video, you know, make make a big, make a big deal of it, you know.
Speaker 1: No, I'd love that idea. That would be great. And not certainly like to get to more conferences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well sure for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Also from News of the Year, we changed our advertising platform and partnered with iHeartMedia, and that's been I know some users don't like our Listeners don't like the uh the number of ads or where they fall in. I'm trying to get that's largely on me because I don't know the platform is well enough. I'm working on trying to make those more uh seamless when they pop in with the ads. So but it has been tremendously helpful for us. And remember, if you hate the ads, I hope that you will at least consider joining the Patreon because that's not super expensive. I think we have a three dollars tier, three dollars a month, and I believe that the content quality we give is pretty significant. Week. I don't remember an episode where we phoned it in. I mean, like, we really always do a lot of work on these, and I'm very proud of the work.
Speaker 1: A lot of research if it, admin and sourcing guests and all the production work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hate ads thirty six dollars a year and get an episode every week, it ain't bad. Plus the patrons get commercial free and extended content.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think a lot of people don't realize that. You know the thing about Monster Talk is you've got some other podcasts out there where these some of these people do this for a living, you know, Brian Dunning is an example. But so they have all this time to dedicate and money to dedicate and to get things done, and Monster Talk doesn't. We're on our own. We're having to work jobs to survive and support our families on top of the fact that that takes away from time to do research and everything else. So we really do appreciate how you guys support us. We really do, because we're you know, we're we're competing with people that I think have it a little easier, to be honest my perspective, anyway, they don't. You know, we don't get to dedicate the amount of time that we would like to do this, and just think, do we get to a point to where we could afford to do this for a living, Just think how stellar things would be.
Speaker 2: Then I would have twice as many posters back here.
Speaker 4: Fanta ski Pants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is certainly a labor of love, and we really do dedicate a lot of time to the show, but we we certainly have lots of things that we're doing concurrently. But we really do appreciate the support and we just love hearing from people. We hear from people all the time, and with coggestions for shows for various topics, and we just level the feedback. I mean, particularly during COVID and the aftermath, just hearing from so many people saying that monster talk got them through that period, or talking of mental health, other people saying that monster talk gets them through whatever issues they have.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Whatever things are getting them down, and that's just so meaningful to us. I think, like you talking earlier about how you want to help people who are scared of sleep paralysis or the idea of demons or just all the topics that we tackle, I think it's really important to me too that we're there for people getting them through these things that are getting people through life and everything that life throws at. It's really important to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I personally, and I know you do too. I have so much empathy because I was once a person who was afraid of all these things. I was interested in them, I was fascinated by them, but I didn't know if they were real or not. But they scared me or in my case, I had real world experiences that tracked absolutely perfectly with paranormal experiences and figuring out that there was a natural explanation for all that stuff freed me from that fear. And that is so powerful and I'm so happy. We've had so many emails from listeners who've had similar experiences where something weird was happening to them, or there was a story they were afraid of or they couldn't stop thinking about, and we explained that no, no, no, there's a really normal explanation for this, is rational explanation of this. You're not imagining it, but maybe you're misinterpreting it. That just having somebody out there, Yeah, yeah, you're not alone exactly exactly, and I and I don't we're not here to make fun of people for their beliefs because well we don't do that. Well, not only do we not do that, but I mean so many things have I mean it's people making fun of people for believing in Bigfoot, for example, Well, people have strange experiences in the woods, people have strange experiences at home with ghosts or ghosts like things, and understanding that there might maybe don't think of ghosts as the explanation, think of all the individual elements and try to figure out what's causing them just that one little step can make a big difference, you know. But once you start thinking in terms of a ghost or a bigfoot, or cheop of copper or these these become the explanation and now you're just adding to the evidence. Everything you find is just one more supporting being for your belief system, instead of them being individual, discrete elements that probably have their own explanations, and just changing that thinking and like trying to figure out if you can understand the individual elements alone can be liberating, you know, intellectually liberating and emotionally liberating, but you're not alone, and you can leave that world of fear and come into a world where it's more calm and rational and you understand the world better. And I hope we're helping to guide.
Speaker 4: People back off of that, you know. I have to say that the Monster Talk family, you know, the Mushtak listeners, the Patreons, everybody, it feels to me like a huge group of friends. That's what's so great to me, Especially when we do these live shows. It's like getting to hang out with just a ton of my best friends, and it's these live shows have been some of the best experiences that I've had over the past few years, and I really want to thank all the listeners for that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, people talk about skeptics and athees not having a sense of community, Well, you don't have that support system, and that's just not true. I really feel like with our patreons and people who watch these episodes listen to months to talk in general, I really feel like we've got just a good base the people, really good group of people who are like minded and just I'm really grateful for all the friends that we've made over the years doing this. It's been just very incredible, very valuable, and it is good for good for my mental health, let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to say, I mean, as someone who's let me be blunt, I never finished college, and being able to talk with so many academics and intellectuals on the show about stuff that I love and it helps you better understand it has been like the extra college classes I never could have gotten. I mean, a lot of the material we cover here is not part of a degree program, but we've lucked into finding lots of really qualified people to talk about material in a way that is more than just an interesting story. It textualizes it culturally, academically, scientifically, and boy, it makes me feel more smarter.
Speaker 1: Now what we've learned a lot over the years, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think we often come to an episode with some kind of preconceived ideas or some you know, an understanding of a topic. And I just don't think we've ever had a single episode where haven't been blown away by learning new things. And it's just such a thrill every time to do every episode and just learn new things about a topic and different perspectives. And I think that's a good thing about being a skeptic, is that you're happy to be disproved or you're happy to be proven wrong about things, and you're not scared with to find out that you're wrong about something and to accept a different point of view. It's just really talking about freedom of thought, and I think that's just a really freeing thing to be corrected and to learn new things, and you know, to know there's more just a lot of people very opinionated in this industry, and it's not prepared to accept new evidence or different opinions or perspectives. And I think that that's if you're open minded skeptic, A good skeptic. I think you're going to be have to be open two new ideas.
Speaker 2: I certainly found it very humbling. I mean I I sometimes say I have a surplus of doubtless, surfeit of certainty. And that's not as catchy as I wish it was, but it is something I say, so stop wanting it. I just I don't know of any episode we've done where I haven't learned something, you know, And I don't know of any topic we've covered where, either in researching or interviewing, we haven't learned something new, And like, there's so much more to the world and so many more mysteries out there to be explored. And I think, I just, you know, I think we agree that scientific skepticism is the right framework to approach this material. But it is humbling, and it is it's it's it reminds you constantly that arrogance and certitude are really rarely warranted. I mean, you know, even in debates where I'm really confident that I'm on the right side of it, I always try to listen to the other person more than I ever would when I was younger. And a lot of that comes from you know, understanding that there's a ton of stuff I don't know, you know, and and there's a lot of ways that people experience things that may seem impossible but might actually have a reasonably normal explanation. But I think that's the lesson I've learned from this show more than anything is is you know, have a lot of empathy, have a lot of humility.
Speaker 1: So yeah, good advice. So do we have any New Years resolutions?
Speaker 2: Then you mean related to this or just in general? Because I always have. Last year, can I just say for twenty twenty four, I had I committed to doing push ups and crunches every day, and I got up to doing fifty a day, and then I had some surgery in November. I've had to cut back because, like the healing from the surgery has sucked. But I'm kicking off things again pain or no for January, and boy, I feel so much fitter and healthier. It's been great. That really has nothing to do with monsters. But as far as keeping me in the chair and able to talk for another year healthily, I think I'm on the right track.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. Yeah, I think Matt and I have lost a bit of waight of the past a year or so on. So I think I've got to be renewed commitment to that as well. Just health is so important the older you get, health is wealth, health is everything, all of those old adages. It's just so so critical. Especially having a young child still we need to stick around for him and just take good care of ourselves physical and mental.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of the big things I think is the way we eat, you know, not necessarily being on a diet, but having our dial life and that's that's been a huge, huge one of cutting out a lot of things that we didn't realize were so bad before. And uh, it's it's it's been making a good difference.
Speaker 1: And vegetables.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I looked at as I ran across somewhere. I wrote our weight goals a while back, and I can say that both Karen and I have surpassed our weight goals a considerable amount, and I'm proud of both of us for that. And it just seems like the three of us have just been dropping the poundage.
Speaker 1: You could make another human or.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there we both.
Speaker 2: Well, that's one of my goals is to cover more on alchemy and dive a little deeper, so Homunculus is very appropriate.
Speaker 1: We need to find a nick spit on that. I'm sure there's someone out there.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a funny story before we go. The When I was watching uh not Saratu, there was four of us in the front row, and me and my friend and then a married couple next to us, and we were all because now you select your seats, but you don't know who else is. Anyway, it turned out we're all crunched together and the movie is going along, and there's a scene where the vampires hit the town and it's a plague situation. There's bodies in the street, it's grim, it's really dark, and the door to the theater opens and a grandmother and a little kid of five or six comes in and they walk in and they sit down, and I'm just thinking, what is going on? Like, what kind of hardcore horror fan are you that you're going to bring like a five year old to see this movie? This movie? There's this is not well well, hold on, honestly, hold on? What is there on the movie? Yeah, it's rated R. Is rated R as hell, it's really really super R. Anyway, she she sits down and I'm like, am I watching a woman trying to force a five year old to watch this nightmare? And then she before I can even say anything, she gets up and comes over to us and she's like, this is not Mowana is it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: No, get out, run run, get out? And uh. When the movie gets over, my friend leans over and says, man, Mawana two went hard. Holy crap. Yeah, I was so worried about that kid. I was like, I don't want to interfere in anybody's parenting, but no, get this kid out of here. Holy cow. Nothing.
Speaker 1: Blade wants to see it, but it sounds like it's a a little too mature.
Speaker 2: For it's it. I would not take anyone under thirteen to see this movie. Yeah, I don't care how much here they are. So yeah, that's my take, but I'm you know, that's that's just that. So anyway, well, I guess we have to wrap up, and I just want to say happy New Year. I think twenty twenty four was a big success and I'm looking forward to twenty twenty five and continue to work with you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, we like it's just a pleasure to know you and an honor to work with you, and just look forward to twenty twenty five and what the new year is going to bring, and it's.
Speaker 2: Exciting very much, so very much, so we'll take care, Karen get well. Yeah, thanks to everybody in the chat who showed up to do this live. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and happy New Year to you all and we'll well, we'll see you soon.
Speaker 2: All right, have a good one. Monster you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. You just heard our twenty twenty four year in review episode. Was the explicit tech needed? I can't remember, but I hope you enjoyed our chat. Stay tuned because next week we'll be talking with the organizers of the Green Ice Festival and find out how they managed to knock together an impressive get together in rural North Georgia using nothing but their college educations, hard work, and a rather ambiguous monster. The Monster Talk is combining forces with the popular skeptical podcast Skeptoid as We Brave the Bermuda Triangle in twenty twenty five. I'll be one of the skeptic celebrities participating in this adventure in the warm waters off the coast of Florida. Will we find the Missing Flight nineteen? Will we find proof of Atlantis? Will sea musters pilot us through these mystery filled waters? No, but I promise you there will be science and history filled discussions and plenty of puns if I have anything to do with it. Early bird pricing is still available, so come get some sun, visit beautiful places, roll your eyes at my terrible puns, and raise money to fund Skeptoid and Monster Talks shared mission of promoting skepticism and science while still enjoying a good mystery. Early bird pricing ends January thirty first, so hurry up and sign up. Check the show notes for a link, or go to skeptoid dot com and click events to find your way onto Braving the Bermuda Triangle, a Skeptoid adventure. Monster Talk's theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys from the Monster Talk family. We wish you a happy, prosperous, and healthy new year, and may your.
Speaker 4: Enemies be punished in direct proportion to their opposition to.
Speaker 2: Your will, or you know, just have a good year.
Speaker 1: This has been a Monster House presentation