Speaker 1: Prime Minister Mark Karney says he doesn't see the value in leveraging energy exports against the US amid those threats of fifty percent tariffs.
Speaker 2: It's not I don't see the value of doing. I mean, I can understand conceptually, but I don't see the value of it. We have many things we can do. The first and foremost is to work towards an agreement. That's what we're going to do. But there's other things we can do if we needed to.
Speaker 1: Canada's Minister responsible for Canada US trade, Dominic le Blanc, has returned from his recent trip to DC for accelerated trade talks with US representatives.
Speaker 3: I'm joined now by Ontario's.
Speaker 1: Representative in Washington, David Patterson. David, the fifty percent tariff clock is now ticking pretty loudly, looming in just a couple of weeks. Ontario jobs, of course directly exposed. How what's your level of concern. How concerned are you that this is actually going to go through?
Speaker 4: Well, of course, very concerned when you understand the application of that, should we not be able to avoid it? And so when you have these tariff threats, which sadly we've become more and more used to seeing you know, you have some options. You can negotiate, you can litigate, or you can retaliate. And I think we had a lot of discussion early on about our options in terms of retaliation. But I think the good news here in the embassy in Washington is that it's a beehive of activity. We have all of Canada's best negotiators here. They are very active. They've been here all week. I suspect they we'll be here all next week. And I think that's good. And you know, we've been at this for about seventeen or eighteen months, and it really is time for a lot of certainly people in many of the cities of Ontario, whether it's in Windsor or in Dryden, or in areas of forestry or steel or automotive, it's really time for us to make progress. And I hope that sitting down and taking on these issues seriously over the next week or so, we'll get us into a better place.
Speaker 3: I think that's really important insight.
Speaker 1: Given that Mark Karney, after the initial threat of this fifty percent tariff, said he'd spoken to the President they had agreed to intensify talks. We know that dominic LeBlanc and the top negotiator Jennis Shattett, met with jameson Greer.
Speaker 3: They posted a picture on Twitter.
Speaker 1: He said they had talked and had made some progress and would agree to meet further. You're saying there's still activity happening behind the scenes. Would you describe what you're seeing as an intensification of talks between Canada and the US.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, And I'm not in the room the negotiations, but I'm in the embassy with the team, and I would very verify that there is a serious focus and attention to this here, as there should be. And I would point out as well that if you actually read through the American document on the Smooth Holly Act to section three three eight, it sets out effectively a complaint from the United States. And of course we can go back to understanding that this started with section two thirty two a year ago, and we're into retaliation on retaliation in a big spin cycle. But if you read the document, it's it's kind of important. And then it points out that in the last twelve months, the United States has seen a twenty two percent decline in their vehicle exports to the United States and just to put that in perspective, it really sort of sets the table I think for a discussion.
Speaker 3: Why is that.
Speaker 4: Why is that big decline of five point six billion dollars versus normal exports from the United States. It's because of the retaliation that the federal government did over a year ago, and so it has been noticed. And there are things that the Americans like, which is the market of Canada. Our auto trade is one hundred billion dollars. Put that in perspective. Our alcohol purchases are one billion dollars, and so it's one hundred times more important in terms of the auto sector. Some of the things that are irritations for the United States really come from things the federal government control, which is their retaliation against the United States, and so on a contingent basis, you do this, I'll do that, and that's the start I think of a significant discussion that needs to be had.
Speaker 1: Absent to deal though, you know, you've been talking about what are the retaliations to this retaliation to their initial right.
Speaker 3: Like it is a spin cycle.
Speaker 1: But your boss, Doug Ford has been one of the more vocal proponents of saying energy should be on the table in terms of one of the things we use as leverage in these conversations. The FEDS have said said they don't want to see that happen. Ontario controls its own energy exports into the US. Is it something that's still on the table as far as Ontario is concerned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything is on the table because we don't know exactly what will take place in the next three weeks, and you are wise to think through what your alternatives are beyond that period of time. But we did sort of just jump to the immediate question of how will we retaliate? What are our options? And that's fine. You need to be prepared, but you can't skip over the stage of negotiation. You have to show up and you have to be serious. And when you're here in Washington, you perhaps are more inclined to try and understand what the specific requests are or the irritants that are there. And some of those are the retaliations from Canada, some of ours are the initial tariffs from them. But we're now in a position where, in the most friendly nations on Earth, we have the opportunity to try and calm this down. And I want to be one hundred percent behind our Prime Minister and our federal team in having them take a good shot at that, because if you are in the city of Hamilton, or Sue Saint Marie, or in Oshawa or in Dryden, it matters. It's hurting, and so too is it hurting in the United States. If you think of the number of jobs that are lost because automobiles are being made in Korea and Japan and Mexico that used to be made in the United States to ship to Canada but no longer are twenty two percent down five point six billion dollars is a lot of vehicles that the United States did not get to make for their biggest customer, Canada, and they've identified that themselves. And so that to me is a starting point of Okay, well we've we've affected that in the last year. That's a good starting point. Would you like to sell to us again? Then we can start building on that. I don't think there are final deals with Donald Trump. I think just like in real estate, you know, when he reaches a deal, that's the beginning of the next discussion. And so I think you manage the discussions here and we have a burning platform of time, but we also have an opportunity and so I'm thrilled that we see a real intensification, to quote the Prime Minister, and I think that's called for and probably worth focusing on right now.
Speaker 1: I just want to make sure folks at home are following what you're saying about the auto terraffs. Because the Americans imposed tariffs on auto and auto parts, we had Canada had the reciprocal terrafts.
Speaker 3: It's basically a deal.
Speaker 1: That if you make so many in Canada, you could bring in that same number from the United States into Canada. You're saying that that is one of the big points of contention, And are you saying that there's an opening there that maybe we could back off of that and they could start to wind some of their terraffs down.
Speaker 3: Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is, if you read what they put forward in the executive order, they point out that it is Canada's action in putting a on incoming vehicles, which are reciprocal tariffs and a remission program that is also somewhat punitive to vehicles. Ironically, the vehicles that are no longer coming to Canada are those that are made by companies like Nissan or are Mercedes or BMW being made in the United States that would now pay a twenty five percent tariff if they were to come into Canada over the last year, and so guess what. They no longer come from the United States. They come from other places like Germany or or Japan or the like. And that is an enormous shift of trade away from jobs in the United States to other places. And that is part of the federal government's retaliation that is still in place now. They also have a twenty five percent retaliation on steel that's been there for over a year, and similarly on aluminum, and these things are now being noticed and to me, that's a starting point for a good discussion as they go forward, there's many other issues. It will be complicated, but I think it's important to put negotiation ahead of retaliation and ahead of litigation.
Speaker 1: I've been checking in with you, probably monthly for the last eighteen months or just getting your sense really quickly before you go, where are you in terms of how you felt at the beginning of this, how you felt six months ago? Are you more or less optimistic now than you were at the beginning of the of the you know this last round.
Speaker 4: Well, I'd say I'm in a sense, in an odd sense, I'm relieved that we are now very focused at the table in terms of making concrete proposals back and forth, because when you're in Washington, you can more directly assess what the frustration level of the Americans is. I think we have a tendency in Canada to just write that all off as being silliness, and it's actually a genuine frustration on the part of Jamison Greer and others. And this is an opportunity to actually say, okay, well, could we be partners. And you know, when you do seventy five percent of your trade with the United States, it's worth sitting down and trying to solve problems. That's what the Premier of Ontario has tried to do with Fortress North America and say, listen, why are we turning tariff guns against each other rather than China. Let's build the economy together. And just in the last two days we've seen the American steel workers coming out saying it's time to remove tariff's Canada. And so we see American business, American unions, people in Congress and others saying, look, it's time for a deal and that will help us lift the economy and that's to the benefit of everyone. So I am pleased. I don't see magical complete agreements. We're not really dealing with the USMCA discussion. We're dealing with a side agreement. We need to get through that, and I think what we can do is work towards a good bit of progress this year, and even Jamison Greer said if we can do that, that's great, and then we can solve some additional problems next year. To me, that's life with uncle, and we have to keep on doing it.
Speaker 3: All right, We're gonna have to leave it there.
Speaker 1: But Ontario's representative Washington, Dave Patterson, thank you for this.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it. Thanks to here