Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here. Two nothing It's Alva not so fast cohole breath with John Taylor.
Speaker 3: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 1: And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on those cherry years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 1: Ten o'clock get downtown Vancouver bro the Paul Carson Studio.
Speaker 3: Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He is at the controls our direct here. The voice of God is Derek Wong. How are you could be better?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 3: Just in We understand that the Canucks are going to have a press conference today at one o'clock to introduce Daniel and Hendrick Sadein as co presidents of Hockey Operations, Ryan Johnson as the thirteenth general manager in Canuck franchise history at that time. We also understand the Canucks will go out of their way to draft the Ruck twins out of medicine. Hat you were just like this argument we just had is so ridiculous.
Speaker 1: We just had a big fight two seconds for the because Ryan pissed me off and I'm we're and we're yelling and screaming, all three of us. I need to calm down. My blood pressure's too high rate. You just didn't understand what I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't want to talk, so that it looks like because the Wild lost yesterday, Yeah, so they won't advance to Hockey's version of the Final Four, that the Canucks are going to draft twenty fourth and thirty second after they draft third overall. So Ryan and I were saying, well, they'll go for the rout ones so from BC and you just flip your lid.
Speaker 1: Because I because you went on and on about I know inside info that there the hope in the plan is for one team to get both Rock brothers. Yeah, but but by picks one after the other, not picking twenty nine seven, that's hard to do, Like, yeah, it's harder than what we're talking about anyways. Look, you guys, both of you, you went on and on about the flames having all these the second round of PILs got four second round picks before that. I know you have to so you picks before. So you think Canucks are getting both that they picked one and then wait ten picks, Well maybe they they'll take a chance. Well Brian Burke.
Speaker 3: Pulled off the mir of the center, and how that's not gonna happen again. Yeah, well, and we're talking about ninety nine and the Sedines.
Speaker 1: You can try to your point.
Speaker 5: If the Canucks take the first one, you see another team taking the second one.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't they They're both extremely good. But if the preferences they want, ten teams are gonna say, hey, Vancouver have both in the mock drafts. They fit in that way too. Yeah, we're when we're talking about how is it like, I don't get it. You're so upcited about that.
Speaker 6: You did flip your perving world.
Speaker 1: The Rocks are gonna go say something like this, twenty nine to thirty thirty three, thirty four. Sure, in a perfect world, what I think that's the plan. But for you guys to sit there and say the Canucks take one rock, ten teams pass on the second Rock, and the Canucks get them ten picks. That's way more realistic than when you were talking right of.
Speaker 3: The Flames pick in the second round. Do we know he's got four they.
Speaker 1: Back to back? Anyways, I don't know why they're talking about plan and we're fighting about the Ruck brothers. Incredible, Yeah, but you're really adamant that we're out of our minds for suggesting that. I don't think Ryan got me riled up. Did you have that information? I'm checking it right now, the Flame here, it is right here. Flames.
Speaker 5: They've got picked twenty eight. Okay, so that'll be after the Canucks. They've got picked thirty five, that'll be after the Canucks. There you go, that's great, that's.
Speaker 1: Good on that. So you eight teams are going to pass on the second Ruck. I mean you're saying, okay, they're literally identical in talent.
Speaker 3: You're saying they are there. One's more of a scorer, one's more of a playmaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, similar to Yeah, but both had the incredible Yeah, exactly right. So I just can't believe that.
Speaker 3: You're like, so the Flames would have to do some maneuvering in order to draft them back to back.
Speaker 1: The teams are doing beyond the scenes right now. They're trying to figure out how we can get them both.
Speaker 3: Anyways, Oh, maybe the Canucks could throw a wrench into the plans of the Calgary Flames blood pressure.
Speaker 1: High Why like you're are half a Ryan pissed me off before the show and we were yelling, all three of us. Anyways, one o'clock you believe this.
Speaker 3: One o'clock today is when that press conference starts at Roger Arena to introduce Daniel and Henrik because the new Grand pubas of the Canuck Organization Hockey Operations, Ryan Johnson as the thirteenth GM and we called it yesterday. I don't know if it's the hot dog guy or whatever. The situation is. They can't have a press conference during the you know, the body of our show to maybe help us out right, they're moving on.
Speaker 1: It's a new regime.
Speaker 3: But now one o'clock they have to do it after our show has finished. And I think that's the plan, just that, you know what, it was a bigger decision the timing of this press conference than the actual hiring of the Sedines and Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 1: How can we mess up Donnie and Dolly? You Neil that I think the hot dog guy set the press at one. He doesn't like us. I've been told did you.
Speaker 3: See this, by the way, this Brendan Bachelor tweet voice of the Canucks Sun Radio Sports nd at six fifty Brendan Bachelor our friend. He's been on the show several times.
Speaker 1: Good guy.
Speaker 3: He went back to twenty eighteen when the Wins, Daniel and Henrik Sedein retired as players, and they we've got the clip here, Derek were good and they were asked by Brandon about their futures.
Speaker 7: Yep, do either of you have any particular interests in that regard, whether it be coaching or management or scouting.
Speaker 1: President Wow, I believe that was Henrik. That was Henrik.
Speaker 3: I think back in twenty eighteen, time flies eight years ago.
Speaker 1: And here they are. They're going to be the shot callers. Ryan Johnson's got to report to Well Hope, so they're done. They're gonna report, and the Sadein's got to report to.
Speaker 3: The ownership, and do you know what they'll be reporting. Let's go out of our way to draft the rug Twins twenty four and thirty seconds. And then there was this other story yesterday about do we still call him the president Jim Rutherford? You know, nothing's been an official.
Speaker 1: To slip into advisors, Well, my dream job. I think he's inn advisor mode now.
Speaker 3: But he's cleaned out his office. Farhand tweeted that out yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's cleaned out his office and I totally see it cardboard box. Yeah. I think it's time now for him to say some new people in charge. I'm in the background, I'm out of here, I'm out of here.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is These are Forehand's tweets from yesterday. Jaran Rutherford cleaned out his office yesterday. He followed that up with no one should take this to mean he's left the organization or leaving town yet. But didn't he talk about moving to Carolina and doing his advising from there, which again more respect. I mean, if you can get a job like that, you're hanging out.
Speaker 1: Halfway across the country.
Speaker 3: And isn't Dale Talon also an advisor? What's happening with him.
Speaker 1: That they've got advisor's galore about getting some you know people in here.
Speaker 3: You know they should hire his advisors? Is us like honestly, we advise them a lot. They don't listen to.
Speaker 1: Us for their media relations. They should ask us what to do. Okay. Also, Ryan john again, thirteenth GM in Cannucks history, taking over from Patrick L. Alvin. Is he an advisor to is he sticking around?
Speaker 3: Speaking of which, this Knoblock situation in epiten. So he gets let We're gonna get to Ryan Johnson talk about him a little bit more in a second. But Chris Knoblock gets let go this morning as head coach the hebuton Oilers, his three year extension hasn't kicked in. It hasn't the's people with my dream jobs Ruththerford, Chris Knoblock, my gosh, all right, almost see what happens in Ebitton in the future.
Speaker 1: But okay, So.
Speaker 3: Ryan Johnson played with the connuction, was a shot blocking forward. People don't know about him as a journeyman for it. That's not a knock at all. He went out of his way to keep his job, killing penalties, you know, third fourth line, whatever it took to keep a job. And so you know, here's a guy who can relate to the majority of players in the National hockey not necessarily the stars of the Superstars. But as a player, he knows what it's like, you know, to hang on like that, and that I have total everybody a total respect for that. So we want to go back to the too. And not many people have heard from Ryan Johnson, certainly not on a regular basis, So we went back looked at some YouTube clips. This is Ryan Johnson from Back in the Fall, reflecting on Abbotsford's twenty twenty five called her Cup Run.
Speaker 1: And this is Ryan's.
Speaker 3: Philosophy, and I thought this he came across in very impressive fashion. Here his philosophy on dealing with young players. Remember this is a rebuilding team. Now we hope Canuck fans hope his philosophy on dealing with young players who are inevitably on the ice off the ice, going to make mistakes.
Speaker 8: Our environment allows you to fail and feel vulnerable to make mistakes. I think a lot of rookies they come in and yeah, it's a huge culture shift from living on their own to pro how you get guys with kids and it's a whole different shift, and food and all these things. Is trying to take some of that off the table for them, but then allowing a safe space for them to walk in every day and be able to ask questions, be able to be vulnerable and make mistakes and not feel, oh my gosh, you know I made a mistake tonight. I'm not playing tomorrow. I mean, yeah, is there accountability to it?
Speaker 2: For sure?
Speaker 8: And that happens at times and sometimes a guy needs a reset. But I think we've again creating a consistent environment. The one thing I'd learned very early in managing a group was when there's volatility day to day of what the environment looks like, it's very hard for players to come in and learn or have a plan. I always preach all I want you to have a plan every day, so when you go to bed at night, think about what exactly tomorrow is going to look like, as opposed to taking up and walking in and seeing what happens. But if your environment is so volatile, and hey, we had a tough game last night, it might walk in, we might not Coach might not look at me, Coach might not talk to me. We might get bag scared, we might that volatility interrupts development.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 1: That's smart, not impressive, oppressive, smart, intelligent. He's a sharp dude and combined with the Sedine Twins, it's going to be a good management crew. You just watch, yeah, And I think, to.
Speaker 3: Summarize what he was talking about, I don't think that anyone, no matter what line of work you're in, pro hockey broadcasting, working on a construction site, playing scared. Working scared is not a positive thing. Where you're looking over your shoulder every second, you can't relax. And again he makes the point there has to be accountability. You can't keep making the same mistakes over and over again. But you don't want young players, especially and today's players are different. You don't want players coming to work.
Speaker 1: Every day worried about their job and.
Speaker 3: Getting yelled at, versus being an environment where they can learn and wait where they can get better. I thought that was a really impressive, impressive clip from Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 1: We heard Maxison on this show yesterday rave about him and call them a father figure. And you know he treats people right. That's the one thing. I've had a lot of agents reach out in the last twenty four hours. They're all happy for.
Speaker 3: Ryan, the same ones that told you about the rut wing.
Speaker 1: They're all happy for Ryan because he's a great guy. And you know what, he's a sharp guy. But I haven't had one agent call me or text me in the last twenty four hours say bad move, bad move by the Canucks. You know why, because he treats people good. He wouldn't do what the Canucks did to Bruce Boudreau and others as well. He's not going to He's not that. He doesn't got it in his DNA to treat Boudreau like the Canucks did. And the Sadin twins don't have it as well. It's not in their DNA to treat people back. You want them to be tough. They have to be or they're gonna get eaten alive. They're gonna get eat in the alive.
Speaker 3: To do that publicly. What the Canucks did horror back then is harbs. It cannot make for a good, good environment. And you talk about working while looking over your shoulder and being worried about your job status. I thought Bruce Boudreau set the till. That situation set the tone for this last management group, the one that's going out the door. It was it was bad karma. There was so much, so much wrong with it. Let's get to the waddling dog pole question again one o'clock today at Roger's Arena. It will be made official Daniel and Hendrik Sedein Connuck presidents, Ryan Johnson, general Manager. This leads to the Waddling Dog pole question experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations, sleep, sip and stock up all on one legendary spot. Come at the dog today wreck all right, Ryan, get her.
Speaker 1: Up the wattling dog pop pole question. What's the most important question you want answered?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 1: Today's Canucks press or look at this commitment to the rebuild is leading the way by a large margin sixty. Then comes some clarity on the head coach Adam Footmanny Mahultra. Then comes dealing with Aliash Petterson. Are they going to try and trade him this summer? And at last is the rest of the management structure? Are the Canucks going to hire another assistant GM? Stay tuned, we should find out and what happened?
Speaker 3: What happens to the the agms who are still in the office. Cammi Granado, Big, big, big, big question we should get We should get clarity on Cammi and Emily today.
Speaker 1: Are they talking to people about a new AGM coming to town? Do they need more analytics. CAP guys, Well, that's where I would go, is it?
Speaker 3: Because you know Ryan Johnson, the Sedines, I don't know how much they value analytics. I'm sure they do, but that's I'm guessing that's not their area of expertise. And are they And you have to have that have that these days, people who know the CAP inside out, know the CBA.
Speaker 1: You mentioned this yesterday inside They got to know the CBA inside out because.
Speaker 3: No analytics, and get people who who can address your weaknesses as a manager or a president. As for dealing with the EP forty and trading with them, let's forget that, Rick. Let's start here. The Sedines at early in their careers, Yes, they weren't in the best shape, and they and and this is what's happening with Elias Peedison true right now from what we understood, and they went out of their way to improve their fitness and their games skyrocketed from there. So I would think, for you know, trading EP forty is a pipe dream. I would think, give given the contract, but work with what you have and make sure this guy, you know, for the first time in a long time comes into camp in tip top shape and is stronger, his bottom half is stronger where he can stay stay up on his feet and that that that to me is when you stay dealing with heap of forty That's where I go head coach Adam foot Manny Malhultra, someone else. Obviously they have to make a commitment there and the commitment to a rebuild. I think there's a lot of people, including myself, I'm still not sure if they are committed.
Speaker 1: I want to hear that today. You can't pay eleven point six million for a guy to get fifty points. You can't. It's killing you.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and it's it's hard trade somebody with who's getting fifty points and making eleven points two years old, even with the cap increasing.
Speaker 1: Okay, how are we doing? Ryan? Good? Okay?
Speaker 3: Uh dt, we won't. We want to run if we have time. One of those Max SaaS Sosan clips from yesterday. He was very impressive on Ryan Johnson. He talked about the sedines. He talked about the locker room culture last year, which he admitted was was an issue. DTMZ is it just me coming up in the eleven o'clock our Thomas Grants is going in join us from the eleven from the Athletic just after eleven o'clock from the eleven. I'm excited about this press conference, other than the fact.
Speaker 1: That we don't get to talk about until tomorrow. Big Ride.
Speaker 3: The Quitter guy coming up later this hour and up next. We just talked about his tweets. Far hand los you from TSN Donnie DOLLI thanks for tuning in, folks. Donnie Delli the team.
Speaker 9: On check Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by Abelauntions dot Ca. Closing your business we can.
Speaker 1: Help Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful.
Speaker 3: Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, Splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cockail at the oceanfront restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two, five oh two, four eight eight triple three.
Speaker 1: Your Island Adventure starts here.
Speaker 3: It is Thursday, and all today's guests, including Farhand Lallsy is standing by, brought to you by the Vancouver Canadians celebrating anniversary seventy five. The Sea's home stand against Eugene continues tonight with first pitch seven to five. Head to the net Tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday for some afternoon baseball with first pitch at oneh five all three days. For tickets and info, visit MLB dot com slash Vancouver. As we bring in from TSN Farhand Wallsgy I would imagine on his way to Rogers Arena at one o'clock for the Conductor press conference.
Speaker 1: If I got that right, Farhand, how are you?
Speaker 4: I mean good? You do have it right?
Speaker 10: I gotta go walk my dog first, because that's you know, that's simply more important.
Speaker 4: And uh hey, listen, I've heard that.
Speaker 10: With Hendo taking off next week for the birth of a second child and Quinn Taylor taking over, and then eventually Hendo and Quinn will.
Speaker 4: Be co presidents of this show.
Speaker 1: I think they are already actually Farhand Okay, no one's told Rick, just matter, where does that leave Rick? Though?
Speaker 10: Rick looking out looking, You're the GM reporting up to the presidents.
Speaker 3: My friend, and and as a lot of people have pointed out in our bayside inbox, you know how old I am. I'm Rutherford, I'm senior, I'm senior advisor.
Speaker 1: Just just a matter.
Speaker 10: Of I've heard there's a movement online that the new slogan for the upcoming season for the Vancouver Canducks just do it for Donnie, because I think there's a real desire to get you a cup before you yet to Jim Rutherford stage year or the year after.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of people who would like to see a cup in their lifetimes and I'm certainly yeah, a lot of them.
Speaker 1: But believe it or not, I am a vanchor of Coca Decade.
Speaker 3: Yes, Hey, what's your reaction to all this news farhand? Ryan Johnson, GM, Daniel and Henrick co presidents.
Speaker 10: Look, there's there's two reactions, and I'd like to think both things can be true.
Speaker 4: And one is that for a couple of weeks we thought this.
Speaker 10: Was a really good process, right yep, that they were they were going to be talking to a number of different people, learning a lot about the perceptions of the organization, ideas that other teams use to have their successes and bring it all back to Vancouver. But then it circles back to this, right, internal candidates, it's got awfully it's got an awful lot Turner Linden type vibes right that you're gonna have two franchise icons take it over to kind of help or store consumer confidence and for.
Speaker 4: People to get excited about.
Speaker 10: I mean, heck, they did that for three days after Jim Benning before bringing in Jim Rutherford w Stance mel right like this, It all kind of feels on and there's a negativity associated with that because many wanted to see change.
Speaker 4: I get it. On some levels, I agree with it, but at the same time, I also think.
Speaker 10: A lot of the people involved, Ryan Johnson and Daniel and henricksonean and when you look at the Twins compared to say, when Trevor took the job over, Trevor had more of a business background. He had some leadership acumen in terms of what he did with the Players Association and things like that, and the Twins have primarily been on the ice the last few years on the development side, as opposed to necessarily being in presidential type grooming environments.
Speaker 4: All that said, I just think so much of the Twins.
Speaker 10: I think what they understand what needs to happen from a culture standpoint and a professionalism standpoint, and I think from Rian Johnston's perspective. While you can be a cynic and say he's been a part of some bad organizations here in Vancouver and some bad processes, he was also around Mike Gillis, And for my money, I think Trevor Lindon could have done a real good job if he was allowed to see it through, which he was, So I think you could.
Speaker 4: And I think, look, you and.
Speaker 10: I've been around some people who haven't done their jobs really well, and we've learned what that looks like.
Speaker 4: And you can learn from people who haven't done it right right, So I think that Ryan Johnson can learn there as well.
Speaker 10: So while I questioned the process and how it eventually circled back to internal candidates, I do believe in the Twins and Ryan Johnson and in their ability to get this right.
Speaker 1: What do they have to say today to to to make everybody in this city, including media fans. What do they got to say today that I think confident.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, Like, look, I don't know what the exact words are, but I think they've got to convey a message that will reassure everyone that they're capable of making difficult decisions. And I think that was one of the questions that ownership had at the beginning on Ryan Johnson, right, like, this is not about how they got to the point of selecting them. They're here now, right, So what are you going to do? Can you make the tough decisions? Can you make the tough decision on Adam Foot which for many of us as it happened, decision, but for some I'm like, Okay, he's been around him for a couple of years and there might be a relationship there that might be tough.
Speaker 4: You know, what are you going to do to build out this organization?
Speaker 10: Certainly there's been a lot of speculation about what's going to happen with the assistant general managers and things like that.
Speaker 4: So what's your support team going to be? Right?
Speaker 11: Are you?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: Are you are you going to keep Emily casting gay?
Speaker 10: Is there somebody else out there that you think can really deliver in terms of negotiations and cap management and things like that, what do you do on the analytics side? I think a lot of people thought Evan Gold was going to be able to really build out that area, or at least you wanted to and had the expertise to do so, because I think that's an area of this organization is woefully lacking in. There are a couple of good people there, but there aren't enough. Right Like that organization when you compare it to others around the league, is behind that part of it, right, So I want to know what their vision is and do they have the chops to make difficult decisions and do they feel empowered to make difficult decisions.
Speaker 4: I think they will be at the front end, but.
Speaker 10: As we found out with Trevor a couple of years into it, that change, right, So you know, we'll see. And I also want to see if ownership is gonna show out here, right Like I think Franchesca Accolini needs to be at his press conference. Yes I have my doubts that he will, but he needs to be there because when you make this type of decision, a presidential decision, it shouldn't be Jim Rotherford telling us what's happening. I don't think it should be Michael Doyle telling us what's happening. I think Francesco Akulini needs to have the guts to get behind the microphone, which he does every five years or so when he makes these types of decisions and own it.
Speaker 1: Well. Their biggest decision is, no question is going to be is Adam footback and is Manny Mahultra? Are you going to let him walk? Because if you listen to people in the hockey world, the Toronto Maple Leafs are going to want to talk to Manny Maholtra about their coaching vacacy, and you got no shortage of people saying that, are you willing to lose Maholtra to keep Foot?
Speaker 4: I'm not right.
Speaker 10: Like to me, I think the bigger decision around Manny Malholtra is Manny or Caleb right in terms of of what the Canucks are going to do in the draft, right, I like the thought of picking Nanny over Adam Foot to be the head coach of this team, like like I said, guys, tap in Putt. But they got to make that decision right because two more years left on the Foot deal. There's certainly you know again, I'm sure there's a relationship there between Ryan Johnson and certainly the twins who've been on the ice, and I know most of their time is spent in Abbotsford, but they have spent a lot of time on the ice here at Rogers Arena.
Speaker 4: So I think that will be a difficult decision for them to make. I think it's when they have to make. But we'll see if they make it.
Speaker 1: Righty, help me out, your friend. Have you been up in the cant Lips yet hanging out with the moach at Lions camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was up there on Tuesday.
Speaker 10: I wanted to make sure I got there for the first pad in practice and I thought this Canuck decision might take until later in the week, And yeah, it was fun. I was encouraged by what I saw, right. I think this team is farther ahead in training camp than they were a year ago.
Speaker 4: There's fewer holes and fewer questions. You know, there's some questions.
Speaker 10: In certain position groups about what it's going to look like, right Like I've had some questions along offensive line. But if they can get to a place with four Americans without it severely compromising the receiving corps, I think it looked good, right, like the.
Speaker 4: Four American combination.
Speaker 10: I saw John Allen, Corey woodriff at the tackles, so I think they look very good. Yates and Schlugger inside at the guards, you know, I thought looked really solid. So I think that part could look really good. And you know, we'll see what that makes the receivers turn into. And then the secondary is a question that I have right and I think that'll play itself out as we go through training camp and things like that. But when I look at the front seven, the D line, the linebackers, I'm excited about what I see.
Speaker 4: So, Yeah, Nathan orcle looks really really sharp.
Speaker 10: You can tell that it's your two in Buck Pierce's system right in terms of of how he's going through his progressions and the patients that he's showing. So I'm encouraged about what I've seen so far. Like you know, Rick, I know how much you like Saskatchewan you accuse me of like winnipe I, And know how much you like Saskatchewan.
Speaker 4: I think BC can take that this year.
Speaker 1: I've been saying Line's great cup for how many weeks? Now? Don you know this? Now? This is him jumping on the bandwagon. This is him jumping on the bandwagon. Disgusting you disgusted it.
Speaker 4: I shoot up here. And the first thing Rick says is can the lines when the great cup? Can?
Speaker 1: I just go to question. Yeah, you love your winnipit guys because they feed you all the scoops. But I'll tell you, lions what they're gonna win it. Let's get serious for it for one second. Here.
Speaker 3: Last Wednesday, U MC an event pushing for a Punch McLean statue outside of the Police Park arena.
Speaker 1: Punch was there.
Speaker 3: Two days later, He's killed in a car crash. I'm gonna ask the obvious question, how shocked were you?
Speaker 4: A stunned?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: I mean for it to happen two days later?
Speaker 10: The timing of all of that, and when you think of what Punch has managed to survive throughout his career, right, and all that said, got gosh. I can't imagine why a ninety three year old man would be driving him to these lake right, Like, I wish that had happened, right just because I wanted to. I wanted to see Punch at the next Connect game. I wanted to see Punch when we got this statue unveiled. But at the same time, guys like, if you'd have seen punch his face on Wednesday, how many of us get to go to our own celebration of life, right, And that's what I feel like he did, right, because forty eight hours later he was gone, and he was there and Billy Ranford and Mark Lofthouse and so many others were in attendance to celebrate him and to say all these nice things about him, and.
Speaker 4: He was beaming.
Speaker 10: He was so happy that event happened and that he got to be there to witness it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: We put him there in this big leather armoire and then next to the next to the podium where people talked, and he just was smiling from ear to ear. So I'm so grateful that the Legacy Foundation, with Patrick Singh and Hart Pandera and others were able to put that whole thing together and.
Speaker 4: That he was able to celebrate and be there. But I I wish he could still be with.
Speaker 10: Us for the next canduct game and for the statue to eventually get get done and passed and unveiled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the statue issue is by by no means passed by, but that's a that's a wonderful way to look at Wednesday a positive way.
Speaker 1: That was it was his celebration of life. He was he was there for it. Thanks for this. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 4: All right, boys, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Fire analogy t SN.
Speaker 3: He makes a point that we talked about before, asked a question that we asked before the show started. Who's going to be there representing the Canucks? At the very top will be Jim Ruththerford, will be Francesco. Actually, I've reached out to somebody who is involved with the Canucks and that at this point, but we're, you know what, two and a half hours away from that press conference. They don't know, they don't know, they don't know what at this point, and I'm you know, I usually go up against Ryan in this situation, like Francesca waclone doesn't have to speak in order to be considered a good owner. But I think think in this case, if Jim Ruthifford's not talking, I don't know what he cleaned out his office the other day, I don't know where he is. I don't know what his role is anyway, Advisor, we don't know. But the guy at the very top is Francesco Equaillini. This might be a time where he needs to be there.
Speaker 1: I'm one hundred percent with you.
Speaker 3: Okay, a break and we'll deal with the poll question next. Talk more about the Canucks decision. We've got to deal with again for the emptieth day in a row. Deal with the latest on the white Caps. For one thing, they won again last night. Donny Dell had the team I check. Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 1: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold.
Speaker 1: Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca. Hey, that's sales at a b l E Auctions dot C. Wilding Dog Poll question one o'clock canuck O pressor Jane Reduced, Daniel and Henrik Sedin as team presidents. Ryan Johnson is their new GM Experience. One of Victoria's iconic destinations, sleep sip, stock up all in one legendary spot, Come, sit and stay at the dog today. Rick, all right, here we go, Ryan, get her up the waddling dog. Pop pople question, what's the most important question you want to answer to today's Canuck's press conference? And look at this, by a large margin, commitment to the rebuild is at sixty three percent. Then comes the head coach. We need clarity his foot staying. Is Maholtra gone dealing with Patterson? Are you gonna move them this summer at the draft? And then the rest of the management structure is at last place there so there you go.
Speaker 3: Okay again, But with EP forty, it's it's not necessarily the trading that I want to hear about or.
Speaker 1: Him being true.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you get the guy, but make sure we comes to camp in shape. It's been an issue the last two years. That's number one for me with him.
Speaker 1: One can trade him. You're paying them eleven six Donnie. It's one of the biggest cap hits in the NHL. Move your feet training's not good, practice, habits not good. You're paying a guy eleven point six million, and coaches talk it. They all complained about him, every single one.
Speaker 3: Of them, I'll tell you. And Ryan and I talked about this before the show. I have a and that was just a fabulous game last night.
Speaker 1: Ryan, Oh, your take on how bad the playoffs are from an entertainment point of view is so wrong.
Speaker 3: That was just fabulous last night. Three nothing comeback in the playoffs, which you never saw it ten twenty years ago. It was just absolutely fabulous entertainment. The speed, the talent, you know, the desire that the Avalanche showed. It was just a I thought was just amazing. But I have a hard time watching Martin and hs Oh do you not two sure? But I'm talking about his entire He's a borderline dominant play out there. And the fact that the Canucks had a chance wait for that guy this close Canucks for this question for Natures, It's just it's it's hard to watch.
Speaker 1: It was close, it is Petterson for nets was close and then it fell apart.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have a tweet from our friend Bob mr Janovich.
Speaker 1: Ryan, this is from the Modes. We asked the question just moments ago in the previous segment, Who's going to be speaking at the very top of the Canucks' hierarchy at today's one o'clock press conference. Will Jim Mutherford be there will Francesco Aquallini be there. Here's moch his tweetreck Yeah, so here in the Canucks owner Francesco Aquillini will be at the one pm press conference so Rogers Arena. So there's a Donny, there's the answer we were looking for this morning. The owner of the Vancouver Canucks, Francesco Aquillini will Donnie will be at the presser and talk. So I think the media needs to ask some tough questions. You know, how were you in Game seven against Evonton two years ago? How are you dead last in the NHL two years later? Don I think there's some tough questions here. I think there's some tough questions.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the number one question is what you know we were talking about in the poll one of our are you really committed to this rebuilt rebuilt? Because I think a lot of people still have a hard time believing that actions speak loud of than words, and their actions tell you that they are a definitely committed to the rebuilding.
Speaker 1: The thing that we haven't brought up today.
Speaker 3: And I'm you know, with Jim Rutherford cleaning out his office reportedly yesterday, where are the Canucks when it comes to a practice facility, because Jim Ruththerford let.
Speaker 1: Us know that that was one of his priorities.
Speaker 3: Now that he's taken on, if you want to call it a lesser role, that he'll focus on where training camp is going to be and a practice facility. So that's going to be one of the questions I would think, yes, other than hey, you know, why do you decide on Henrik and Daniel and Johnson?
Speaker 1: How much are you paying them? And that sort of thing that's obvious, But what what's the latest on the practice facility, because in the very near future they will be the only NHL team without its own practice facilit I think there's good feedback about the practice facility. I really think it's going to happen. They're right there at the end. They blew it at UBC, and they blew it at Copeland, but I think this might happen at Britannia. At Britannia, I think it's going to happen.
Speaker 3: So the latest we heard is that there they are trying and everybody understands this for a second sheet at Britannia. Is that what you've heard, because right now there's it's not the space.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many times you've been there, but it's not the biggest footprint.
Speaker 1: In the world. I just wonder, is there room for.
Speaker 3: Two sheets of ice, which would be in underground parking? I would I would imagine absolutely, they've thought about it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of questions they've wondered, can we get a second sheet? Uh, maple Leafs have three sheets? I think, well, Seattle, most teams have multiple sheets. Philadelphia and let's hope.
Speaker 3: Let's the the minor hockey association that's there is a real strong one in the Vancouver storm, and you hope they don't get affected in an adverse way if there's only one sheet of ice there, right, I wouldn't think that would be horrible from a pr point of view for the Canucks, but you know, you hope that and Jphor did you not say recently, like you know, you just mentioned they've been down there, they were close before Copeland Copeland ub close and that they're they're close here and you hope it doesn't go He was hoping.
Speaker 1: I don't go sideways. I don't see it going. Everything I've heard is it should happen, and they're taking.
Speaker 3: The community in the neighborhood and the Minor Hockey Association into consideration in a really, really significant way, so that that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: But I need two sheets there, Donny. And also here's the other one for you. You know what, Until I see a shovel in the ground, something in the air, Until I want to see that shovel on the ground, I want to see the photo. I want to see the ribbon, I want to see the mayor. Until I see that you were gonna say something wrong.
Speaker 5: I don't care about any of that. I don't care about shovel hearing from a practice facility. This guy needs to answer for the fact that under his watch, this organization going back to twenty eleven, has been a dumb disaster.
Speaker 6: Does that moment in time?
Speaker 1: Does that on top of it? All you've done, all you've done is past gonna say anything, Okay, get asked.
Speaker 3: You'd love to, Yeah, you'd love to hear that. Going to say anything, he's that's pat I want to hear that.
Speaker 1: No into a rebuild done? Ryan so wrong here, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 6: The last time we heard from him to introduce Retfford, what's happened since that time?
Speaker 1: Okay, we all know what's happened. They screwed up left and right. I want to know, number one, are you committed to a rebuild? You know, like what, He's not gonna He's not gonna be able to explain.
Speaker 3: He's not gonna want to explain what's happened since twenty eleven, since Tortorella, Ruthaford, all of this, Bruce Boudreau. He's not gonna say it. I want to know, are you committed to make sure things better by committing to a rebuild and working on the future of this hockey club?
Speaker 1: Or are you really committed? Number one? You have to also ask him.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, since the last time you sat in front of a mic, all that's happened outside of two playoff rounds? Is this franchise been a disaster? Yeah, arguably the best player ever got forced out of town. Or decide to leave your organization, A popular coach decided to leave your organization.
Speaker 1: You know happened, Ryan, they screwed up. He's not gonna say I agree, So you have to get asked you about You have to ask that, and you know what he's gonna say, not much. I don't care to stumble and bubble.
Speaker 6: So he's like that, if you want to hear about the practice facility, I don't give it.
Speaker 1: It's one other questions. It's one of them. It's relaxed. I want to know, you know what happened? They screwed up like that? So what I want to hear it from him? I'm sure you know you never talk of these fans. He only does the only talking obvious answer, and there isn't obvious, So what who cares obvious? Everything's obvious? I want not.
Speaker 3: The more important thing to hear from him is whether or not he's I'm I'm repeating myself here, is whether they're committed to a rebuild or not? Which is the which is the positive way to go for this franchise. I do care what happened in the past. I hope that he learned from the mistakes they made in the past. That's not the number one thing I want to hear.
Speaker 1: But he doesn't enough to answer for it at all. It's not a well I guess it is in a way, but it's not a trial. I want to ask him why so much drama with this team? Always bad news off the ice? Oh you kicked out a reporter. You did this right, you did exactly. There's always negative stories about this team all and the time.
Speaker 3: How is that going to make the team better by it by he's talking to say anything not so you don't ask him that questions. But I I the list of questions I want answered. I want to know about the commitment to rebuild.
Speaker 1: I want to know about the practice facility. That's donny.
Speaker 6: This year, arguably are going to draft the arguably the best player of the franchise just had this year, decided I'm out of here this year, this this season out?
Speaker 1: Yeah huge, Well, all these guys, I'm saying, just this year, what's he gonna tell you? I don't care. You have to ask him, though you have to.
Speaker 6: He's gonna give you a whole bunch of corporate talking points.
Speaker 12: I know.
Speaker 1: The number one.
Speaker 3: Thing anybody wants answered is if you've got a brain in your head, which is debatable in this studio today, is like, are you committed to a rebuild because you haven't in the past, and if you if, if you are now, that's the way to go.
Speaker 1: That's what I want to answer. I also need I also need to know are you gonna like Donny. I also need to know are you gonna butt in? Are you going? Because good we knew. I like that. I got the horror stories from agents about him button in on Jim Ben and when Jim Jim was the guy, and so you know what, are you gonna let these guys do their jobs? Are you gonna let the Sadeens do their jobs? And Ryan Jah? Or are you gonna butt in? I got it on pretty good authority that for the most of Rutherford's tenure he didn't butt in. Because Jim's a three times Stanley Cup champan, he would have told him in his first meeting, you butt in and I'm gone. But when I see rookies like Ryan Johnson and the Sadeen twins, I could see his head sorry about that, you can see his head turn in.
Speaker 3: I want to know about what's going on moving forward because you have screwed up in the past, and you can say what you want about we should have done this, we should.
Speaker 1: Have done I will say this.
Speaker 3: I would love him to say, I we messed up in the past. I don't have to go through everything we've learned from it and what like Rick said, I don't want to meddle anymore.
Speaker 1: I want to conn that's a question, are you gonna meddle? Since twenty eleven? Nothing? And I also want to know the prices for season ticket holders, and I want to know the cost to go into a can game? Is it? Is it? Ever? What's going on? It's like, are we looking at a Canuck fan spending two, three, four hundred bucks now to go to game in the near future? Like where are we going? And in the last fifteen years? Since twenty eleven? What is it? One playoff round win? Is it one or two? If twenty eleven, yes, since twenty eleven, is it one or two? I think it's depends on that.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty in Nashville if you want to count twenty twenty, yet the minutes of the bubble, that was a play and then that was a play knocked off the blue, so to two rounds they won.
Speaker 1: Well, that's all the past. We shouldn't ask him about it.
Speaker 6: We should only ask about the future going forward.
Speaker 1: That's all in the past. Don't worry about it. Well, what do you what are you going to ask him? How many rounds you've won? No, they screwed up? And I go for funny. He's been screwing up for fifteen years. Hey, we all know that I want to know about the Commitmentture rebuilt and what you said is bang on as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, are you gonna be accused of meddling? Are you going to continue to do that with this group?
Speaker 1: Arthur Griffiths would tell me all the time we hired pac Quinn. We're not telling Packquinn what to do. We hired Pat and said, Pat, you do your job. That doesn't happen here. Huh. Oh.
Speaker 3: If I could go into time tunnel, I would. We had a plan for this segment. Now it's all gone sideways. Okay, I got to do some business. Ryan's got a cool cool down you're and get ready for his segment Pressure May twentieth. Able Auctions will sell industrial equipment including dump trucks, garbage trucks.
Speaker 1: Pickup trucks, and even a fire truck.
Speaker 3: Also trailers, forklifts, generators, compressors, excavators, see containers, in a lot more. Everything sold to the highest bitter Next Wednesday. For info on this industrial auction, we'll go to able Auctions dot CA. Closing your business? Need it all sold and gone? Email Sales Able auctions dot CA A sales at a b l E auctions dot C. A Ryan not in a good mood coming up at the top of the hour. Someone who's always in a good mood. Thomas drants from Sports Hit six fifty again top of the hour, A big rise next, Toney tell you the team on jack Bayside Resort inbox blowing up after this segment, and just I had a big ride the quitter guy Joan Nanaimo. Is it just me early or do we all need to remember that it's a hockey team and we need to stop stressing over the nonsense again Joan Nanaimo, the voice of reason, speaking of which a big rye who wants Francesco to go back to nineteen eighty and yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I think these last five years alone, whatever it's been. The last time he took the mic was alongside ruting for he introduced him.
Speaker 6: What's happened since that time under his watch needs to be asked about today.
Speaker 3: I'll give you this a quick look. It's happened the last fifteen years, whatever the case, because unacceptable. We've made mistakes. I've made mistakes, We've learned from them. Now we're moving forward.
Speaker 1: That would be fun. Yeah, but if you don't even want to go you don't want to go back to the past. Is the past? Move forward?
Speaker 6: Passes the past, Donnie. They traded Quinn.
Speaker 5: He was in December, like, if you don't want to go back to twenty eleven now, it's been a disaster.
Speaker 3: So how does that make the team better? Him answering that question, Explain that to.
Speaker 5: Me, because under your watches, owner of this team, arguably the best player.
Speaker 6: Ever to play for it, said I want out of it?
Speaker 1: Why and how does that make the team better?
Speaker 3: Answering that question, it makes me, But the committee to you that the owner makes the team better. Getting a practice for sure, but you sakes the team better, and the ses if you're not gonna make it.
Speaker 5: If he says today I'm committed to a rebuild, you know what everybody's gonna say.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll see. I'll give you that, and That's what I'm.
Speaker 6: Gonna say too, we'll see. It all depends on the moves they make. He can say what he wants.
Speaker 5: The actions is going to speak for it, but to not say that he doesn't have to answer.
Speaker 3: The best player in franchise history. Why have they only won two series because they screwed up left and right? You're an answer, but the agent, the agents, he wants them to go.
Speaker 6: Point by a team underperforming and people willingly leaving your franchise, like saying I don't want to be here.
Speaker 1: Two kings, they two separate, very separately. Screwed up?
Speaker 3: Do you want him too? Wanted to take every single thing. I know he needs the hiring of Tortrella. Let's go back to that.
Speaker 1: That was the owner. That was the owner. Tortorella was the owner. It was not Mike Gillis.
Speaker 5: But under Rutherford's like under the guy you had. I'm sorry, there's a lot to answer for it since the last time he took screw it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say that, but I want to know about the future.
Speaker 3: Look, listen, time is running out on me and a lot of people to see this team when it's Stanley Cup. They screwed up.
Speaker 1: In the past.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm very very aware of that. I don't want to hear that again. I want to hear what they're doing right now and in the future. I want to you know, what are you guys going to do help the long suffering fans of this town get themselves the Stanley Cup Parade and maybe a third riot.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, I mean, and he's not going to say this is two three years away. Ryan, I'll tell you that much. Right now. We'll see one of the All these GM candidates were honest. They did learn a lot in this GM search a lot. And it wasn't just you guys are awful and you're in thirty second and you got nothing in Absburg, you got no prospects. They heard all that, but they got more information as well. They are behind the times. They know this is going to be it's going to take five years plus to get back. You like to hear that. You'd like to hear that. You want to hear that they know they learned a lot in the GM search.
Speaker 3: Do you have any time for anything else?
Speaker 1: I want?
Speaker 6: I want to mention some white Caps news because it's going to hit close to you guys.
Speaker 1: Are we going to talk about the meeting gains.
Speaker 5: We'll say that from later. But the white Caps are going back to Swangarden. They announced it yesterday officially because of the World Cup. They have to play their upcoming Canadian Championship game happening on July the eighth at Swanguard Stadium. They're gonna take on Calvary FC out of Calgary, of course, the CPL team July the eighth at seven thirty pm. So the white Caps are heading.
Speaker 6: Back to small, little quaint swan Guard Stadium for.
Speaker 1: The CPO Sward.
Speaker 6: But it's small.
Speaker 1: I mean, was it five thousand beautiful beautiful play five thousand capacity? I want to say, Ryan, Donnie and I covered many eighty six er games at swan Garden when Carl Valentine was a coach, and Donnie wrote an article in the Province one day is sticking up for Carl because they were all over Carl. But anyway, what's he's doing for you? Remember that? Where else you going to go in the Lower Mainland.
Speaker 6: To be honest, the only other place would be well, Langley at the Vancouver Home the Willoughby's Park there, But I've heard that logistically that doesn't really work.
Speaker 3: But anyway, song Guards in the middle of town, the middle of you know, the greater Vancouver, it makes it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So hearkening back, it's a it's a.
Speaker 3: Look at You're gonna so many games there, the eighty six ers games as a reporter.
Speaker 1: I love that lot. I know this is MLS is such a great product.
Speaker 3: I love that era of Vancouver professional soccer because they Bobby and Buzz Parsons and Milano Lych they kept they kept it alive.
Speaker 1: They kept pro soccer alive.
Speaker 6: Absolutely and look at swing Guard has stood the test of time.
Speaker 1: The Riots play over there now It's still used a lot. It makes sense.
Speaker 5: So that's July the eighth for Leg one of the Canadian Championship quarterfinal featuring the white Caps.
Speaker 6: White Caps win yesterday three to two in Dallas. They came back and won.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: We will have a little bit more news on the white Caps and their future maybe around eleven fifteen. We'll see what happens. But there's a statement release today we'll talk about.
Speaker 3: Let me mention the dominant Mobilly that thin Dominic, Pro soccer alive and John con and others.
Speaker 1: Dominic was a great striker, love to win. He scored a goal at Swan Guard.
Speaker 5: Thomas Drantz from the Athletic at Sports at sixty fifty.
Speaker 1: He's next. It's Donny Dolly the team. I check. Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company. We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media. We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot ca.
Speaker 3: Thursday and all today's guests, including Thomas Drantz from the Athletic and Sports at six fifty standing by brought to you by the Vancouver Canadians celebrating anniversary seventy five. The CEA's home stand against Eugene continues tonight with first pitch at.
Speaker 1: Seven o five.
Speaker 3: Head to the NAT Tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday Rick for some afternoon baseball first pitch at one oh five. For tickets and info, visit MiLB dot com slash Vancouver one o'clock. Today, Rogers Arena Daniel and Hendrick Shedeen will be introduced as co presidents of the Vancouver Canucks of Hockey Operations, as will Ryan Johnson, thirteenth GM in club history. Here to talk about that from the Athletic Sports that's six fifty our friend Thomas Drantz. Thomas, thanks for doing this, SIRT imagine you're going down to the arena.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll be running over there in time for Canucks talk in an hour, So gonna be an interesting hustle for me after this hit, gentlemen, But I'm excited to hear what everybody assembled on that DAAs has to say. I saw moje and Gary Mason confirming that Francesco Aquallini will be at the press conference. Will he be a speaker at it? I assume that's what they mean, But that'll be interesting. You know, it's a new management group for the Vancouver Canucks, but is it a new day?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 7: That's the question that I think is in everybody's mind. How much change does this really represent? Zent giving that we're talking about a trio of internal promotions, you know, I think that's the challenge for Ryan Johnson and the Twins today is to convince this market that this is fresh, even though we've long associated those three gentlemen with this franchise.
Speaker 3: What do you and we don't like you say? We don't know if he is going to speak, but if he does, what would you like to hear before anything else from Francesca Equolini.
Speaker 11: I've done a long less, Donnie. I'm not gonna lie, but I think number one.
Speaker 7: Number one is we know that the competitive integrity of the Vancouver Canucks is compromised in the short term, and we know that the salary cap is going on. And we also know from what we've seen in for example, Montreal versus Buffalo, two teams playing in the playoffs now right. One rebuild was done with the sorts of resources that you'd expect from an original six iconic franchise in a hot Canadian market in Montreal, and it was extremely quick. And by the way, I know that series is tied, but you've been watching which teams look better?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 7: The other was done and it took fourteen fifteen years, with resources being scant, especially over the last six years, and it took an awful lot longer for that team to arrive at its destination. Right, what sort of resources can the three gentlemen now at the top of the Canucks hockey operations pyramid expect during seasons that we expect to be lean in terms of the on ice results. That's I think the number one thing that I'm curious to hear him address.
Speaker 1: Of concerned this week, Thomas is Evan Gold wanted a bigger analytics department in Vancouver. He didn't think the Canucks had the technical resources required. He wanted them to invest in analytics in that area. And then we hear that the Canucks couldn't satisfy him on salary because salary was an issue. Those things right there they turned me as well.
Speaker 7: I agree with you, non cap spending has been a long term issue for this team. I do want to note, though, like I haven't been able to confirm what you're saying about how far down the road the Canucks got with Evan Gold. My indications are to this point that you know the process, Like, I don't know that they were negotiating with him. I know it's been reported, and I trust those reports, but I don't know that yet, and so I'm a little leery of commenting further on that specific example. Rick, I want to take the weekend and like really dig into what happened, because this was a really interesting process across the last ten days, you know, from the Pierre Dorian thing to the Evan Gold thing, to the late arrival of the Sadeine Twins and ultimately today where Ryan Johnson and the Cideen Twins are going to take over at Canucks hockey operations. So it's a really interesting process to watch unfold on social media. And I'm still trying to parse and figure out exactly how much of the social media perception where if you know, you'd logged onto Twitter between Thursday and Monday, you would have thought that this was a coronation for Evan Gold, and obviously that's not where we landed.
Speaker 11: How much of that perception.
Speaker 7: Is connected to fact right, and how much of it is vapor I'm still not sure, So I'm a little leery about waiting too deep into those waters.
Speaker 1: Rick Well, I know for a fact they talked to Evan Gold, what do you need to be the GM of the Canucks. I need the analytics to be better and here's my salary demand. Well, we can't meet that. So anyways, I'm confident that took place. Adam Foot, Maddy moholtrap. That has got to be the first question to Ryan Johnson and the Twins today, what are you doing with the coaches?
Speaker 11: You're right, it's a big question, you know.
Speaker 7: My view of it is at this point, Adam Foot has been sitting around for a month since the season ended with no clarity on his future. His staff has no clarity on their future incoming general manager.
Speaker 11: You know, I don't expect there to be like a rip the band aid off coaching change today.
Speaker 7: I look, I suppose anything can happen, but I'd be surprised by that. And you know, my view of it would be, this is me editorializing. My view of it would be that at this point you at least owe your current head coach a conversation. As an incoming general manager like you at least owed them a conversation and a chance to, you know, chat it out and express sort of your concerns and see what their answers are and take the measure of the man and figure out what your plan.
Speaker 11: Is for me.
Speaker 7: That's how I would consider, you know, sort of what would be respectful, what would be fair to the head coach you're inheriting, as Ryan Johnson and the Citing twins are. And my gut would be, you know, those three are guys of substance. I think they're respectful. I think they'll probably follow a similar tack. We'll see what happens there. You know, we know how close Malhotra and Ryan Johnson are, how close their partnership has been down in abbitsburd So you know, I'm very curious to see how this all turns out, for sure, and I'm curious to hear what they have to say.
Speaker 11: But you know, I think it would be you know, I don't.
Speaker 7: Want to say something as firm as like untoward or the wrong way to do it if you were to do like the clean slate behind the bench today. But I think an incoming general manager rose an income. I was a head coach there and hired in a conversation before they make a decision either way.
Speaker 11: That's that's just my view of things.
Speaker 1: Thomas.
Speaker 3: We hear whispers about the relationship between the Sedines and the LEAs Peterson, they're eleven point six million dollars a year forward. What can you tell us about that? What do you know and what do you think they can do regarding his career now that they're presidents.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know it hasn't been a close relationship. I can tell you that for sure, in terms of what specifically they think about Peterson and what it means for this offseason, like does it make does the city and twins incoming make it more likely that the Canucks move to trade Elias Petterson.
Speaker 11: I mean, I'm not sure, Like I can't speak to that.
Speaker 7: What I will say is one of the challenges that I think a lot of people go through in life, in any walk of life, but in hockey for sure, when players transition to becoming coaches, and when coaches, you know, transition as Barry Trotz did in Nashville, to being managers, is that there's different modes of thinking that you need in all three roles.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 7: A player only cares about who can help me win, right when the chips are down in a tough physical playoff series, who can help me win? A coach will learn to trust a third line grinder, right, and they're like, that guy's indispensable, right, And a manager knows I can replace those guys and they have to know that, right. And so when you think about Elis Petterson, we know he's underperformed. We know the way he's carried himself has not been befitting of an eleven point six million dollar face of the franch guy.
Speaker 11: Right. Indisputably, those two things are true.
Speaker 7: And I understand then wanting a fresh start, wanting to be like, let's move on. But the fact remains that there are all sorts of structural things in his contract where his value will be higher in a few years. The Canucks are not, you know, facing some sort of competitive pressure to win in the next two years. Even if they were, they wouldn't be able to pull it off. So, you know, some patients looking at this as a manager, not looking at this as a former player, not looking this like this, at this like a development coach, right Like, in some ways, whatever their relationship is, to make the right decision for this hockey team. Now, they've kind of got to scrub their brain of whatever preconceived notions they have in terms of what they think Elias Petterson is as a person and a player, and you know, conduct themselves in a value minded way. And it's not just with Petterson, it's with every player on this team. Like they might look at Philipparonic and think that's a guy I could go to war with as a player.
Speaker 11: Great, that doesn't matter right now for a.
Speaker 7: Rebuilding team that needs to assesscitate the value of its organization. So I think this is a really interesting challenge for them. They're really going to need to very quickly, you know, because they've gone from players to coaches, right, and now they're now they're at the top of the hockey operations ladder, Like they've got to be really thoughtful about adjusting their thinking and thinking about the big picture and the best interests of the organization through.
Speaker 11: A wider lens. And it is a totally different discipline, a totally different motive.
Speaker 3: Thought so well said as always Thomas, you got to get going, get to that press conference.
Speaker 1: Let's go. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thomas grants from the Athletic and Sports that six point fifty. He just bang on as always, Thomas is so good when when you talk about adjusting your thinking as a former player or a coach versus somebody in charge as a GM or.
Speaker 1: Or a president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Phil Pronik's a great occuplayer, but in a rebuilding situation, if you can unload him all due respect for something that's going to help you in the future, yeah, you have to do it. You hate giving up on a guy like that, not giving up on him, but you're gonna You're gonna let him go for assets that fit your plan. And same thing with the LEAs Petterson. If you know, if you get offered something that that can really help you you got, you've got to let them go. You also have to realize that, yep, the contract is really tough to deal with, so is his recent on ice performance. But it's not as serious as it was when you were supposed to be competitive.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. The salary cap going up makes it a.
Speaker 3: Little bit easier to a little easier to swallow eleven much. Okay, how are we doing? Run uh waddling dog poll question and we'll talk that's next. We'll talk about the white Caps as well. More about the white Caps. Donny Dolly did team like.
Speaker 9: Jack, Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by able Auctions dotz A Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 13: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type.
Speaker 1: Of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, please email sales at able auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 1: That's sales at ab LA Auctions dot ca.
Speaker 3: Wattlingdog bull question. As we look ahead to one o'clock Rogers Arena. Introduction of Daniel and Henrik Sedine by the Canucks.
Speaker 1: As co presidents of Hockey.
Speaker 3: Operations, Ryan Johnson as thirteenth general manager in franchise history. Bud Poyle was the first general manager.
Speaker 1: Coyle was a great GM and his son was a great gym in the NHL as well. David David yep experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations, the Waddling Dog sleep sipping stock up, all in one legendary spot.
Speaker 3: Come sit and stay at the dog today. One of these days will debate who the best GM and knock history was.
Speaker 1: Pack Quinn. It's not even close. Well, you know where I stand on that, Pack Quinn, Bran Brooks two for me, Mike Gillis. Here's my argument there.
Speaker 3: I don't see a statue of those guys on the side Froger's Arena.
Speaker 1: Okay, poll question, Ryan, get her up the waddling Dog, pop pole question. What's the most important question you want to answer today at the Canuck's press conference? And look at this leading by a wide margin sixty four percent. The commitment to the rebuild. Then comes the head coach. You know what are we doing here? Is Adam Foot returning? Are you gonna lose Manny Maholtz out of Toronto? Somebody else? Teams are Edmonton's looking for a coach, Toronto's looking for a coach. You don't think they're gonna want to talk to Manny Multra, damn rights dealing with eleven point six?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 1: And then comes at the end is of management structure.
Speaker 3: You know what coaching name is out there that doesn't get talked a lot?
Speaker 1: What's about?
Speaker 3: And I just him smiling after they knocked off the Oilers, the Jay Woodcroft, he's a good your agent contacts talk about.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they like Woodcraft. I think before the Canucks signed Adam Foot they talked to Woodcraft. He was one of their let's talk to Woodcroft.
Speaker 5: Well, uh, you're telling me the folks in in Edmonton are wondering about that Mulligan today. If you haven't heard Knoll blocks out of a job like they fired Woodcraft to bring Connors them.
Speaker 1: They did go to the Stanley Cup finals after making that change. Sure twice twice? Sure? Yeah? But you know what Rick, I look at, I look at complaining.
Speaker 3: This was during the regular seed his season as well, various postgame interviews with when David and dry Sidle, hinting that coaching is an issue in Edmonton, so.
Speaker 1: Which bugs me because it's get to the Stanley Cup final twice.
Speaker 6: You can't really if you're connor, how do you say anything.
Speaker 1: He was your guy, and they told us he had nothing to do. They told us he had they had, he had nothing.
Speaker 6: To do with the hiring of christ A Blo and his agent in the front front office did. Yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure it's all one big coincidence.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm so torn because I do not want to see the Edmonton Owners win another Stanley Cup.
Speaker 1: I've seen it five times.
Speaker 3: But I do want to see McDavid, who's a Canadian hero, a Canadian star. I want to see him, you know, win a Stanley Cup in his lifetime.
Speaker 5: Mark my words, probably a gold medal, but he wins one alongside Macklin, Celebrinian San Jose Well.
Speaker 3: I I heard a conversation today elsewhere, and I'm wondering if just and people who are old enough to remember this won't think I'm out of my mind. Paul Korea uh team of Solani situation. When we talked about this before where they signed that one year, one million dollar per contract with Colorado. It didn't work out, but I'm just thinking with Connor, He's like, yeah, I'll join Macklin for a year. Well, him and matt for a small amount of money and get my cup.
Speaker 1: Him and Matthew's got big decisions to make here in the next couple of years.
Speaker 3: Vancouver White Caps they had first of all you mentioned earlier, Ryan, they won three to two in Dallas on Wednesday. They've now overtaken everybody or they've reclaimed first spot in the MLS standings, obviously first place in the West as well. They had to come back to do that down in Dallas against FC Dallas. Also, that meeting that we talked about yes yesterday took place in Vancouver. Caps ownership was represented there by Jeff Mallett. Actual Schuster was there, RAVI callan friend of the show from the BC government, Gregor Robertson from the federal government. He was there, from the proles, MLS representatives and representatives from the three first nation Slay with tooth, Musquiem and Squamish. They were all there, uh and are understanding.
Speaker 1: Is well, first of all, we'll do this, Rick.
Speaker 3: And you can you can read this? There was a statement released by the parties involved. We got that right.
Speaker 1: There, you go, This is your turn. You want me to read this? No, even with glasses, I can't, Ryan, you gotta make the letters. I can't read that. You said you're gonna read it. How can you not read it? The monitors? That's too smart. I can't read it. My eyes are worse than yours. You want me to read it. I got bad eyes, I got bad ears and a lot of other stuff bad. But that's too small, Ryan, Donny you read it? What kind of a team player are you? Okay? Get up, I'm gonna be okay. Joint Statement on Keeping the White Captain Vancouver. You really want me to read all this? The city, the province, the federal government, Musquium Judge over the first Selene about two nations, PavCo and private partners are lying to working together within a positive framework to deliver an even better future for soccer. I'm not reading. That's too long. I mean, come on, that's too long.
Speaker 3: The better future includes improving the game day economic model bas place, exploring additional sponsorship opportunities, and advancing work of potential sites for new stadium and development.
Speaker 1: Let's be clear, Vancouver is open for business.
Speaker 3: We're doing everything we can to keep the White Camps here, and we are committed to building a long term solution that reflects the scale, ambition, and global future of this city.
Speaker 1: You know what I heard? That was for me. My eyes are worse than yours. Oh my eyes are. I went to see the eye doctor two weeks ago. Not good. Did you rip him like your normal doctor? She's nice, she's really nice. I think eye doctor the way you talk to your physicians. I've heard of eye doctors and ear doctors are way nicer than your regular doctor. Okay, you're generalizing the ear doctors and eye doctors dealing well, very nice people like but why would you want to rip your doctor? In tons of your guys a good blood test? He doesn't say good job. I don't like the nets the hell out of me.
Speaker 3: I don't like I went him when they don't get back to you soon. I don't like that, as you probably exactly.
Speaker 1: And you know what, how about say a nice job, but he's always nippicking, and you know, and though you.
Speaker 3: Want to just want to write subscriptions, rather we say nitpicking. He's telling him, maybe how I'm all for that.
Speaker 1: I go in there prepared with the doctor. I tell you, boy, I give it right back to him. Yeah, but I want that guy or a woman on my side. But my eye doctor, she's a very nice lady.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'd rather have somebody who's just a complete jerk but is really good at their job as a doctor.
Speaker 6: Like honestly, So back to this statement, it doesn't really say much. It says what they're somewhat.
Speaker 1: Uneventful, but at least they're trying.
Speaker 6: Well, it's I shouldn't say it's uneventful.
Speaker 5: The fact everybody was in a room, including Jeff Mallet, one of the white Caps co owners. But that's there. So everybody was in a room that's big. They don't want to shed any light really on where this goes.
Speaker 3: And anybody there asked Jeff Mallet, co owner of the white Caps, about the mistakes of the past, because I think that's the most important thing you want to hear from an owner. You know, we're worried about the future of the French is.
Speaker 1: Let's deal with all the mistakes you made in the past.
Speaker 6: You're so wrong in that on that my eyes have been opened up. I didn't know how many franchise goack.
Speaker 5: With your eyes were open up. There's a part of your eyes. Everybody says, Aquiline gets to just move on, Scott Free. So then let's just move on today during the page.
Speaker 1: On a serious note, they got to figure this out. We can't we can't lose the white Caps. You know, we're in the sports business. There's an all sports station in town. If you if these guys walk, I mean that hurts us, It hurts the communities. These South Siders total, I think, are the best well group of fans that I've ever seen in Vancouver. You saw them in Miami last year. You see how loyal there are there every white Caps game. There's other groups cities. These guys are loyal, They spend their money, They cheer like hell. They have a great foundation. The found out soccer has been around here decades. You and I n ASL white Caps and we went to empire all that good stuff with the seats with these guys can't go. They got to find a way to keep up. Why you book, are you kidding me? Well?
Speaker 3: Look the other thing that is a major major consideration, and when you talk about the City City of Vancouver news report yesterday that I saw just what the white Caps and the Lions mean, and obviously the Canucks, but the white Caps, let's focus on them, because let's be honest, here's there's a danger here of them leaving. What they mean to the businesses in downtown Vancouver on match day and the money that bars and restaurants take in that they normally wouldn't. But there's a there's an MLS team here, there's a CFL team there, and it means a lot to the to the to those businesses. So you want to see it for the soccer fans, you want to see the white Caps day for them, but also for the businesses downtown. It's just so important for the economy game day.
Speaker 1: Say what you want to.
Speaker 3: There's so many these news people out there.
Speaker 1: We worked with them. They don't understand sports, they don't understand it, but they understand economics, and that will really hurt downtown business. The staff at BC Place on game days, all these people are going to be affected. If they get up and walk and leave the city. It's not a good thing in any respect. Somebody's got to step up and make it happen.
Speaker 3: And keep up, So stay tuned on that white Caps play at Houston by the way, on a Saturday. They don't play a home game until August first because of us other World Cup.
Speaker 6: Thirty degrees for that game last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I can discore three goals in the heat? Wow, bur Alter with a couple right, yes, from one range.
Speaker 5: No, no, Muller again, he's still coming. He played at the end. But I'm sorry I missed that.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 6: Didn't start business?
Speaker 1: Can I go BC's number one sports memorabilian gaming shop, Pastime Sports check Out the largest election of sports memorabilia, autographed items, trading cards, the collectible games of Western Canada. Look at this twenty twenty six Whoa apparel and cards available. If you can't visit the men's store, you can shop their massive collection featuring cards from any era online at pastime sports dot Ca.
Speaker 5: Laptop in front of the laptop, uh Car cards of the day on the left, Nick Suzuki, Habs Sabers Tonight card in the middle.
Speaker 1: Jim Ruth Thefford.
Speaker 6: Apparently he's had his boxes in his office clean things up.
Speaker 1: He's out. O. We got this from his office.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this was sent over, and those are tops hockey cards. I apologize to forget the year of them, but I put them out because you see it says picture cards and underneath with one stick of bubble gumshow.
Speaker 1: And also sticker bubble gum sticker in your pack. There's yeah, there's a bubble gum like the racket, open rick, like the one in the eighties. Do you want to open that up and eat that bubble gup? Where's it? Where's it? Oh, it's good, it's when it's older. It's cry Send it to me that right there, there's gum. Here, there's gum. All right, you will not chew that gum. They asked, Donny, the bubble gum the eighties? Oh so what this is from forty years old?
Speaker 3: It's like the cake that Elaine ate in Seinfeld, right found.
Speaker 6: Well, or that hot dog we brought up recently at the theater.
Speaker 1: Hey, the gum in hockey cards in the eighties, oh so good? Didn't last long? And the oh look, doney, right now, gumt air, have a little, have a little. This is disgusting. This is from the eighties. It's correcting.
Speaker 14: No, no, no, no, no, not turning the gum Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Just bad, Donny, Donny, what horrible? Great? Got here? Good? We mean water right.
Speaker 12: Next, the BC Construction Safety Lines is celebrating twenty five years of making BC work sites safer. As part of that mission, the BCCSA is now on the road with the Safety on Tour, a new mobile education experience that delivers live safety demonstrations directly to your work site, school, or community. Safety on Tour offers engaging, interactive demonstrations that highlight key safety principles, whether it's the effectiveness of fall arrest systems, the advantages of safe lifting procedures, or the protection offered by helmets, safety glasses and gloves. Safety on Tour transforms safety information into memorable and actionable experiences. Book now at a reserve and appears by the Safety on Tour Mobile Experience. Contact the VC Construction Safety Alliance by emailing Safety on Tour at BCCSA dot CA.
Speaker 1: It's eleven thirty four on a Wednesday, Thursday morning. Donnie and Donnie on check TV. It is time for DTMZ and all brought to you by the Wister Golf Club. Big al Out, third great track, rate Track, this just it. We're still alive.
Speaker 3: Oh we're actors kind of chewing dot com on a Wednesday Thursday DTMZ, brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the Golf Club inviting golfers to stay up to date with phase two of their golf course renovation on Instagram at Whist of Golf.
Speaker 1: Look at those hardworking people.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 1: Boy, is it going to be sensational when they get done.
Speaker 3: And you'll be sensational too when you get to throw bubble dealt with and just a reminder the golf shop and driving range.
Speaker 1: But we're main open this summer. We got time for something here.
Speaker 5: By the way, I just want to clarify that card pack of cards from the eighties, nineteen seventy eight, seventy nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it came with Bell bottoms, so that gum was from nineteen seventy eight in that package. Yeah, it tasted like nineteen fifty. It wouldn't convert to gum. Yeah, just kind of crumbled, crumbled and was not good. I will never do that again.
Speaker 3: I still maintained that bubble gum was good back in the day. I'll still stand by that.
Speaker 6: And it didn't have a Mike Bossy Rookie card in it, by the way, it was that year, but it didn't have.
Speaker 3: That Mike Bilberry car Mike Mike Bilberry's card from Boston, right, Yeah, and then Mike Murphy was in there as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a boy one.
Speaker 1: In that pack Mike Murphy from Birthday yesterday was the solming card. Boy. Was he great?
Speaker 3: That movie about his uh his uh life life?
Speaker 1: Pretty good? Yeah, or series, wasn't it? Yeah? It was a serious it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: You don't really watched on the weekend, and I know this is gonna We're not have time for anything else. We'll get their birthdays. But I watched, for the first time in a long time, an entire episode of Saturday Night Live. It was with Matt Damon and I laughed. It was good watching.
Speaker 1: It wasn't so political McCartney this weekend.
Speaker 6: Right, did you watch Noahkan because he was the musical guest.
Speaker 3: It's Today's music, So I passed right through through it. But Matt, they did a spit take skit.
Speaker 1: It was. It's pretty good. It's pretty funny. It wasn't all political.
Speaker 6: I never watch it.
Speaker 3: Ripping into Trump and then ripping into the left side.
Speaker 1: It was. It was good. It was goofy fun.
Speaker 6: Interesting, Yeah, McCartney and Will Ferrell this weekend the season finale outstanding.
Speaker 1: Ohstanny, Okay, let's get with your birthday. I apologize. That's you right, all right? You got to play the music and the spotor you're still recovering from the gum incident. It is disgusting, man, that was you better be here tomorrow. I oh, of course I'm gonna be here tomorrow. Pork Chop, Louise Butcher Shopping Casino and Pincher Creek, Alberta Great blace. Pincher Creek our sponsor. This guy was an eighth round pick of the Blues in nineteen eighty one. Defenseman for four years in the Quebec League. Played a total of forty two games in the NHL. Retired at a j eight twenty five. Retired Todag's twenty five and nineteen eighty six winn into coaching. First coaching job in Ottawa then Montreal Okay replaced Mario Tromblay Win Mario Tromblay member Ronald Corey Patrick wat Umber was He known for his lozenges, Yes Ava Elayne Vin Vigno, Happy Bird, Alam Vigne, Happy Birthday, today. He's in Florida right now golfing. I just saw a picture him on Twitter. All right, this guy was one of my favorite players. A tough guy, Oh boy was he ever. He took care of business. This guy was a high pick of the Canucks in the seventies. Began his professional career in Birmingham and the Wai five. Wow, that's not fair, Like, how did you get that part of the baby Bulls?
Speaker 3: Yes, Kent Linsman was one of them too, and Rick Live. It was a big That was a big story when I was a kid. He had all these superstar juniors all going to the wha.
Speaker 1: First may believe to score fifty goals. Yeah. After he got traded from Vancouver the Tiger Williams Dill, which worked out for both Tiger Williams, Jerry Butler, the Bill der Nago, remember all those guys.
Speaker 3: Builder Lego ended up with Rick in Toronto.
Speaker 1: He would play for the Dundee Real McCoy's at age forty two. After we retire, you know, retired, he gave it one more shot, Okay. This guy first round pick the Islanders in nineteen seventy eight. Islanders one hundred and fifty five goals in the Lethbridge the Western League. He played with Willie Dasjard and Brian Sutter, Ron de Lorum, Brian Trotchier. Those Lethbridge teams were awesome. Western Hockey League Rookie of the Year nineteen seventy five nineteen seventy eight played for Team Canada World Juniors, won bronze nineteen eighty eight No. Nineteen eighty eight Winter Olympics in Calgary. Played for Canada. Where's he from? Would spend two years with the Islanders, one A Stanley Cup in nineteen eighty Steve Samalini.
Speaker 3: Ah from Trail.
Speaker 1: Trail, British Columbia.
Speaker 3: Steve Tambalini didn't he play with Gretzky at the World Juniors?
Speaker 1: I thought he did?
Speaker 12: I did?
Speaker 3: Did they were remember because there were buddies from remember at the Salt Lake?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, assistant Jam It was assistant GM and I thought it was that year. And his son Jeff just got injured by the Canucks two weeks ago, Jeff Tamberlin. I was texting form texting with Jeff last night, all right, last last one. This guy was a high pick in the twenty nine No. Twenty nineteen NHL Draft. He was born in Orlando, Florida. Came out of the US National Development program. Named the best American born player in junior hockey in twenty seventeen in junior. In junior, it broke the US Development all the time points record previously held by Clayton Keller twenty eighteen World Juniors twelve point seven games. First player from the twenty nineteen NHL Draft class to be selected for an All Star Game twenty nineteen. Yeah, he scored his first goal against the Canucks with the Devils. His brother just got kicked out last night in Jack Hughes Quinn Hughes eliminated last night. Yeah, and he got bounced around.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got you guys by saying he was born in Orlando, Florida. That's what that was good. See, that's why I take time with the the clues. It really pays off, it really does. You didn't know he was born in Orlando because his because his dad at the time.
Speaker 3: Was part of the Orlando organization.
Speaker 1: Solar Bears. Yeah, it's not a bad name. No, Solar Bears works. The logo is nice too. It's good for like a minor league team. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is it's a good logo, Solar Bear is good logo.
Speaker 3: And of course the Wild get eliminated. Apparently quin He is very upset. He wants to be traded now. Yeah, sure, well beteres sing to see what happens. I mean, they've got a massive it's going to be a UFA.
Speaker 1: At this time, netwill maybe at this time next year. Yeah, they can talk to Quinn on July first, new deal, but they're going to want to know earlier. Where's your head at.
Speaker 3: Of course, And and that's good news for the Canucks, the Wild getting eliminated. There's a lot of people like the two of you were not Quinnhughes fans, but also because it's good for the Canucks draft position later in the first round with that Wild pick bingal right now it's twenty fourth, All right, we're good?
Speaker 1: Is it just me coming up? Ian Astbury sixty four and he and the Cult oh are gonna play a So this is eighties music. Great song from May of nineteen eighty five in the album Love This is the called A lot of people say this is the best song of the eighties. And she sells Sanctuary on check making your backburn on a BC Thursday morning, Is it just me arched? Looking for one of Victoria's most iconic days. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years, ten minutes from the airport in the ferry. Their room, Glenn vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps wald Towall TVs every Canucks game and you see pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Dottie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come sentence day, All right, Rick, is it just me? Go? All right? Here we go? Here we go? After the mood in the room today, Is Ryan gonna say he's leaving after this season to be replaced by another Quinn? Whoa cam Travis coming in hot Now?
Speaker 3: We have discussions here and we disagree on things.
Speaker 1: That's what this is. What this is A talk show is supposed to be all about absolutely.
Speaker 3: Not all about there's information to put forth, but yeah, it's okay to disagree on.
Speaker 1: Things exactly have fun. Is it just me?
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of people who are anti Quinn Hughes today in the Bayside in box, it's just me on signed it was trading Hughes for the young hal just a great moon. We can criticize the old regime. All we want early returns are. People are pretty happy with that deal. And as we just talked about, it's not a done deal that he's coming back to Minnesota, you know, a year from now as a as a UFA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Minnesota took the gamble. They got to the second round. They didn't have they didn't have a centerman. They had to play McCarron and.
Speaker 3: Joel Ericsson Eck and Jonas Brodein were both injured, and that.
Speaker 1: Obviously look, did you see Philadelphia's injured Listen to yeah, Donny, twelve guys, twelve guys injured. That's why winning the Stanley Stanley Cup is the hardest thing to do in the world, or the car or the Stanley crp Okay, listen, the Sadeans is a fish. Thengratulation that Stanley Cupps are hard at Philadelphia. Rick Talcket feel for him. Twelve guys on Tippett was seriously injured, eleven other guy's hurt. The Sadeen should bring Alex Burrows back into the organization as an assistant. That's Justin and east fat look Justin. I love the thought, but this isn't bring all your favorite Canucks back. This is about hiring the right people to get you out of thirty second place. I don't care if it's a former Canuck, a former Canuck legend. I just hire the right people to get you out of this mess. It doesn't have to be Burrows the old linemates together. Why don't we bring every former Cannuck back? It doesn't work like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're gonna get asked that question today, or if francescack will and he does take questions? Is this more of a pr move that's.
Speaker 1: Done the right hockey move, Dwight? Is it just me?
Speaker 3: I love watching Hughes get bounced around like a pinball, And yes, when it comes to the Canucks, I'm just a little vindictive.
Speaker 1: Was it Ross Colton who hit him in that game? Hit him?
Speaker 3: Knocked him to the ice. He was want to get back up and he hit him again. Didn't get a penalty, and I think a lot of Kannuck fans enjoyed seeing that right here. Yeah, and down he goes again.
Speaker 1: But you gotta do this. He's got to expect this. You're the best player, You're one of the best defensemen in the national hockey.
Speaker 3: And I think Minnesota is a terrific hockey boy. Colorado has been impressive. Their speed, my gosh, and again Minnesota missing players. Having said that though the drive they had to come back after falling down three nothing was amazing.
Speaker 1: I don't know how they added Kawdrey, like I don't know how they did it. But he's getting better and better. Aquiline, he needs to answer for his mistakes. He's never had to own up to anything. The reporters have to risk their credentials today to ask hard questions, says Scott from Pressure.
Speaker 3: Ask ask him about that. But and that's fine, you have to ask that.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: I care less about the past and more about the future as somebody who wants to see these guys lifting down the cup.
Speaker 1: One day, don Quinn Hughes, I want out Rick talking. I want out? Are you gonna go ask him all those things? But JT. Miller, I want out? Why are so many important people wanting out of your organization? That's the Because they screwed up, That's why. And hopefully they learned from it. Move forward, commit to the rebuild, hire the right people, and go from there.
Speaker 3: Make smart decisions. Hopefully they learn from it. The past is the past.
Speaker 1: What do you got? I hear music? Right? Oh? Learn from Rockford? Is it just me?
Speaker 3: But I think I just watched the beginning of Dumb and Dumber three, watching Donnie and Dolly chewing that gum.
Speaker 1: I I you didn't tell me the gum was from nineteen seventy eight, right, but he sets from the eighties. I alsold it. But yeah, eighties, I'm fine. Seventy eight Come on, come on, that's seventies gum. You don't want to be doing dealing with that. It might take a day to get bad. What am I looking at here? Right? It's the clip? What's okay? Gum in hockey cards in the eighties? Oh so best didn't last long? And oh look done right now? Gum? They got air, have a little, have a little. This is disgusting. This is from the eighties. Oh no, it's correcting.
Speaker 14: No no, no, no, no, not turning the gum.
Speaker 1: Ye not great, not great. It was disgusting, really disgusting. But that's gum from nineteen seventy eight, Donny. But in its day, that gum was the best sure in its day, which is at twenty twenty six clear, Okay, A break.
Speaker 3: Will wrap up there showing the poll question next Watling Dog poll question in Donny Dolling, the team on check, three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Right in your backyard.
Speaker 3: Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two, five two, three to two Today Dog poll rick.
Speaker 1: Right, get her up to the Watling Dog up pole question. What's the most important question you want to answer to today's Canucks press conference? Leading the way that commitment to the rebuild and don't shy away from that. It might take five, six, seven, he might take eight years, donn he might take nine we don't know head coach is Adam Footback. That's another big question. Then rest of management structure and dealing with your buddy there Betterson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't have a room for a practice facility. And also going every over every single mistake they've made over the last fifteen twenty years.
Speaker 1: How about the last two years? Ryan wants to all the drama in the last two years here or see?
Speaker 3: Okay, what do you have for photos? Slash pictures right right right where we're going right.
Speaker 1: You're shaking out. It's just a horrible effectable. It's it's a bad way. No, it's it was stale as hell. Ryan, Let's go. Let's are we going overseas?
Speaker 6: Burying the Whack in Alaska?
Speaker 1: Oh, I finally got my D and D two have had a cruise to Alaska to find the cold weather. Enjoined the podcast and search for the Canucks head office. Thanks for the great coverage Burying the Whack. Look at that on his way, Look beautiful Alaska. Berry looking great, the hoodie, the tuke, the whole bit. That are newer tooks. Yeah, that new took is really nice. Berry looked like a million bucks up in Alaska.
Speaker 5: I've learned so many people hair so many people taking Alaska cruise. I've known so many really, yeah.
Speaker 3: I find that so much surprising because a lot of people aren't going to the States because you know the tension between our two our two countries. But they're okay with Alaska.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're going the other way. There you go.
Speaker 6: It's like away from They're close enough.
Speaker 1: They're close enough. What else photo was? That's it? That's the cat? That the cat. We don't have time for the cat. I wanted to get the cat here. No, but we have time to chew nineteen seventy gum, hold on, let me get the cat. Get the cat here? Do many? I don't have the cat? Did you do that? I gave you the cat. I sent you the cat. I don't have the cat. You don't have the cat? What happened to cat? This is turning into Aby Costello.
Speaker 6: The cat came back?
Speaker 1: The cat? I came back Palma Jerry Toma, Jerry Fred Penner? Was that Fred Pinner? The song of the cat came back the very next day, Believe it or not, that's after me, the guy that sent the cat. Photo wins resend it. Now we're gonna get nine millions, Yet I love cats and dogs.
Speaker 3: The guy who sent the nineteen seventies gum, don't worry about it. Thanks for watching, folks, He'll be half.
Speaker 1: Of Ryan Derek Rick. Everybody here at Oh boy check, I'm done. You have to date in the world sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.