Speaker 1: On one w JR R, Orlando's rock station, The Lynching Taco Show. Good morning. A reminder coming up right around eight o'clock, we're gonna have some Earthday Birthday information to share with you. Okay, so you've been asking questions, We're gonna give you answers.
Speaker 2: Coming up at eight.
Speaker 1: It is time for teck it out the latest tech news here on JR. Are not quite sure where Taco Bob is. Disappear there he is. Come on in, man, the water's fine. I know, I just got done using the water in the restroom. All right, Let's begin with the situation with TikTok, which is set to well go dark here in the United States as of Sunday as a legislation that was passed on a bipartisan basis dictating that Bite Dance, the Chinese company that owns the US version of TikTok, divests themselves and sell to a non Chinese entity, will no longer be able to do business here in the United States. As of right now, no sale has been announced, and we're a Thursday. Yes, there are a couple things in play right now. The Supreme Court is looking at this legislation and should render their view. By tomorrow, it's thought that they'll probably uphold the legislation. Again, this was a bipartisan thing on the basis of national security concerns with the Chinese potentially just vacuuming up all of our data and using it as they see fit, which, look, you can't trust trust China. They're an adversary. So that's why this was put through. As it stands right now, TikTok will go dark on Sunday. But last night, and this is the latest development. Trump some doing Trump Right. Mike Waltz, who is the incoming National Security Advisor for the new administration. He's from right here in Florida, did two different interviews last night on National News and basically said the same thing. Let me let me just read you from the interview last night. He says that President elect Trump is considering ways he could preserve TikTok once he takes office if the Supreme Court upholds the US ban on the Chinese owned social media platform. Trump has been very clear about what he'd do. This is coming from Representative Mike Walts, who will be the National Security advisor. He said, Number one, TikTok is a great platform that millions of Americans use and has been great for not only his campaign and getting his message out, but number two, he's gonna protect US user's data. That's his goal in the end, as is the legislation's goal. He went on to say, look, he's a deal maker. I don't want to get ahead of our executive orders, but we're going to create this space to put the deal in place. So it sounds like they're at work on something that will preserve TikTok for users here in the United States. What exactly form is that going to take. My best guess would be they'll extend the deadline for the sale. They're still probably gonna make them sell to a non Chinese entity. But it sounds like they're fully well aware that they don't want to piss off one hundred and seventy million users here in the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, when you have a guy like.
Speaker 3: The Facebook dude on your side, and you have Elon Mudd, and you have all these great minds, somebody can figure out how to protect our info. I would think, wouldn't you.
Speaker 1: But I mean, at the end of the conversation, they're still going to demand that bite dance, get out of the mix here, so we'll see where it goes. If you're worried about TikTok going dark on Sunday, I want to get too too concerned. Yet it definitely sounds like something. There's gonna be some movement on this one way or another. The State of Texas is suing All State Insurance for collecting driver data to raise premiums on drivers.
Speaker 2: Get this.
Speaker 1: An investigation revealed that All State, in a company called Arity, paid mobile apps millions of dollars to install All States tracking software. The personal data of millions of Americans was sold to insurance companies without their knowledge or consent, in violation of the law. All State developed the Arity Driving Software Development Kit, a package of code that the company allegedly paid mobile app developers to install in their products in order to collect a variety of sensitive data from consumers' phones.
Speaker 2: That's us.
Speaker 1: The software gathered phone geolocation data accelerator you could tell how fast you were going in a vehicle, gyroscopic data, details about where the phone owners started and ended their trips, in information about driving behavior, such as whether phone owners appe to be speeding or driving while distracted. According to the lawsuit, now there are you know, insurance companies will offer you the chance to be monitored in hopes of keeping your premiums lower. But Texas is alleging they were able to get this same data through different apps that users had no idea.
Speaker 2: It's like gas Buddy or ways maybe.
Speaker 1: No, I'm going to give you the actual apps that are named here, Gas Buddy, Fuel Rewards, and Life three sixty, the popular family monitoring app. The complaint points out that, look, you know, not only do drivers not know this was being used in this matter, but who's to say they're actually driving a car that they're now being assigned to a driving score to, or much less not on a bus or some other form of public transportation where erratic behavior.
Speaker 2: Is now being reported and used as a penalty against that.
Speaker 3: Think if you were on that right line, this guy, mister Lynch is doing one hundred and eighty miles. No, so this is in Texas specifically, you're gonna tell me, Lynch, look at me. You're gonna tell me that other states aren't doing this as well?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I bet it's a Texas just happens to be the state that's filing against all state that is doing this across there there.
Speaker 2: Yes, all of them. Yes.
Speaker 1: So, so they're just the first to bring this to light. And uh, this just doesn't sound real good.
Speaker 3: This is a class action right here, baby, that's gonna that's one I'll sign up for.
Speaker 2: I don't have all state though, huh uh.
Speaker 1: Interestingly enough, Texas is also in the news the Tech News over these age verification law for adult sites that are in place now in twenty six states, including as of the first of this year in Florida. You know where you have to verify your a certain age.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court is or heard arguments on that yesterday whether these laws are legitimate or not, and the initial response from the questions that the justices were asking in the inquiry yesterday seemed to indicate that they're probably not going to have a problem with age verification laws in the name of trying to restrict access to minors make it more difficult for minors.
Speaker 2: So that's not.
Speaker 1: Good news for the adult entertainment industry. Again, the decision on that case probably not until the spring. Microsoft announcing they will not support office apps on Windows ten after October fourteenth. I've already told you in this segment that Windows ten is the support for the program in general, also ending in October. Now, the Office Suite of Apps also will not have support as of October. They'll still work, but they may not be as reliable as if they were receiving regular updates and patches. Microsoft is trying to force everybody onto Windows eleven is what's happening here and the issue, and I'm really hoping they extend this. A lot of people just are not switching because Windows ten is perfectly fine, works great, and if you have a working computer, a lot of the unfortunately, a lot of the computers that are in great working shape right now and can accommodate Windows ten don't have the support to accommodate Windows eleven.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: There is a way if you've got a newer computer and you're running Windows ten, you can easily transition it to to Windows eleven. But if you're running an older one, most cases, your software is not going to support the new Windows. So they got a new computer, your damn computer right kind of put you in a rock in a hard place there.
Speaker 3: Somebody was talking about with the insurance companies and monitoring it. Yeah, so if you're on a roller coaster, right exactly, Yes, some bitch's going up down and so are your rates.
Speaker 1: And finally, there's this told you last week about the Venue Sports you know that was going to be that collaborative sports streaming effort between uh, you know, Warner, ESPN, Fox, and you know, multiple companies that offer sports. Venue now is not going to happen after the.
Speaker 2: News of.
Speaker 1: Fubuu now being parts you know, being purchased. So we talked about a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, Direct tv was threatening the lawsuit, I guess, so that was enough for ESPN and the others involved to say, we're just gonna bench Venue.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna happen. With that.
Speaker 1: Direct TV now is launching their own sports streaming plas.
Speaker 2: Try to tell us when it finishes, tell us what's done? Somebody? Sports is what.
Speaker 1: Causes all these issues with costs for watching content and what what it is getting down to here is it's like you got people who mainly watch sports when they have some you know, a service, right, and then there's people who don't care about sports yet are still charged for the cost of the sports channels. Eventually, hopefully we'll get to the point where if you're a sports person in sports is what you want, go get that and just pay for that. Everybody else if you don't want that, won't have to have that. Are we there yet? No?
Speaker 2: It could be soon at some point hopefully somebody somebody text in.
Speaker 3: Had to verify on my age with a pic, had tissue and lotion in my hands.
Speaker 2: In the pica.
Speaker 1: You try to go to an adult site here in Florida. Now, if you're not on a VPN.
Speaker 2: We tried it last week during this segment.
Speaker 1: You gotta do age verification. So it's not that you can't get to the material hoop you got to jump through now.
Speaker 3: So be ready to take care of that then.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, it'll be okay, It'll all be okay. All right, let's get you a traffic updates. Uh, come back after the break with that Earthday birthday information. All right, there's your.
Speaker 2: Tech it out on demand Tell Radio app.
Speaker 1: Mmmm