Speaker 1: This episode from the life of Sherlock Holmes will be transmitted to our men and women overseas by short wave through the worldwide facilities of the Armed Forces Radio Service.
Speaker 2: Petree Wine brings you.
Speaker 1: Raffle, Lockbone and Nigel Bruce and the new adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The Petrie family, the family that took time to bring you good wine, invites you to listen to doctor Watson tell us another exciting adventure he shared with his good friend, that master Detective Sherlock Holmes. And if you ask me, the best way to listen to that story is to do it with a glass of Port wine right handy Petrie California Port. No kidding that Petree Port is just swell for any time good friends get together to talk things over. You couldn't ask for a more delicious wine. Why just looking at the deep, rich red color that Petri Port tells you that here is a wine with a flavor that comes right from the heart of sunrise and grapes. If you haven't ever tried Petre report, why not get a bottle and have a glass after dinner tomorrow night. It's a perfect after dent wine, you know, and share that port with your family and your friends. Don't forget when you serve pat report, you can serve it proudly, because after all, the name Petrie is the proudest name and the history of American wines. And now let's keep our weekly appointment. Get in, Docty Watson, drop.
Speaker 2: It, sir, thank you.
Speaker 3: That's it. By the way, do you know what date it is?
Speaker 2: November fifth, isn't it?
Speaker 3: That's right? In England it's known as Guy Fox Day.
Speaker 2: Do you ever heard there's something to do with a gunpowder plot? Isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yes, mister about tell it is.
Speaker 4: And as Sherlock Holmes and I had a very unusual venture on the fifth of November many years ago, it seems appropriate that I should tell you about it tonight before I begin. I think it might help you to appreciate the true flavor of the story if I tell you a little about the origin and the.
Speaker 3: Customs of Guy Fox Day.
Speaker 4: It's well well, my boy, on November the fifth, sixteen hundred and five, exactly three hundred and forty years ago today, King James the First was about to attend the opening of Parliament when the plot was discovered.
Speaker 3: They blow up the House of Lords during the.
Speaker 1: Ceremony, and the chief conspirator was Guy Fawkes. I suppose yes he was.
Speaker 4: He was captured in the vault immediately below the House of Lords, a vault full of barrels of gunpowder.
Speaker 3: Of course, he and his fellow conspirators were.
Speaker 4: Executed, and ever since then, remember the fifth has been known as Guy Fox Day.
Speaker 2: Well, how's it celebrated.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a great time for the youngsters, mister Bartel.
Speaker 4: They blacked their faces, throng the streets, begging for pennies and build bonfires in which to burn effiges of Guy Fox. These effiges are life sized dummies, stuffed with straw and dressed in old clothes.
Speaker 3: The children paraded them in the streets, chanting rhymes.
Speaker 4: Well let me see, please to remember the fifth of November, Guy Fox. Guy hit him in the eye.
Speaker 2: The kids must have quite a time, sort of like Halloween.
Speaker 3: It's not I unlike it, my boy.
Speaker 4: Well, now that I've told you something about the customs of Guy Fox Day.
Speaker 3: I'll get on with my story. It began just before lunch.
Speaker 4: I remember November the fifth, eighteen hundred and ninety nine. The day was foggy and cold, and Holmes and I seated each side of a.
Speaker 3: Blazing fire in our Baker Street rooms.
Speaker 4: From outside, we could hear the sound of voices laughing and singing. Suddenly Homes rose and crossed the window, opened it and looked out. Then he turned to me and spoke, Sten having a great time Watchnante. Yes, course they're stilling worth a phillas to walk here this morning.
Speaker 2: Has it occurred to you watching that be guns out of plus offer very.
Speaker 4: Promising materials with the stickamitic mind? In what way, Homes? I say it's wanted it chill in here? Don't you think you might shut that window? Sorry, oh chap, As I was saying, the gunpowder plot offers very promising material to the speculative mind. I made something of a study of the historical records of the case. There's more than a little evidence to suggest that King James was never in any real danger, never in any danger.
Speaker 3: What makes you say that.
Speaker 4: Knowledge of the proposed dubt to this scheme came to life early that James Stuart, King of England, the possessor of a shrewd and diabolical mind, used the spectacular discovery of the plant to try and bolster his weight popularity, as well as to justify increased religious.
Speaker 3: Persecutions as the first I've heard of it, I.
Speaker 2: Day awful of it's true, just the same.
Speaker 4: I'm afraid James Stuart, King of England, was an unscrupulous tyrant.
Speaker 2: Come in. Oh, yes, missus Hudson, there.
Speaker 3: Was a gentleman to see you, mister Holmes. He said it was very important.
Speaker 2: He asked me to give you his car. Thank Missus Hudson. Oh, ask him to come up please, will you?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 2: Who is an home a gentleman with a remarkably fine sense of time? We discard yourself.
Speaker 3: Look, mister James Stewart, great Scott, that's.
Speaker 4: Extra any instance that he should arrive just as we're talking about James Stewart, King of England.
Speaker 2: I mean, mister James Stewart. How do you do? Mister Stuart. I'm mis Sheelck Holmes, and this is my colleague doctor.
Speaker 3: What how do you do?
Speaker 2: How Holmes?
Speaker 3: You've got to help me.
Speaker 4: I'm walking about model fear of my life. You've got to help me, mister Stewart.
Speaker 2: I suggest that you sit down. I'll do anything in my power to help you.
Speaker 4: But you must compose yourself first and tell me quietly what it is that's frightening you. Oh can I compose myself when I may be dead within a few hours?
Speaker 3: And no, I'm mister Stewart. I'm a doctor. I really think if I were to give you a sedative that you'd find out.
Speaker 5: Can you talk of senators? When?
Speaker 2: Doctor?
Speaker 3: All right? All right, not here, let me help you with the sofa. Here's Holmes.
Speaker 4: I'll give him some Digitalis the fellow with a bad heart like this shouldn't allarm so to get so excited?
Speaker 3: And now this, mister Stewart, what is it? It's digitaris very well? No better time?
Speaker 2: Yes, mister Holmes, Yes I do.
Speaker 3: Hey, you're right.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't get so excited. My heart can't stand it, you know, Watson?
Speaker 2: Is he well not to talk to you? Think?
Speaker 3: Yes, you're just excited over again.
Speaker 4: I'll be careful doctor. I'll take it quietly, mister Holmes. When you saw my car, just know did it strike any responsive court?
Speaker 2: Naturally?
Speaker 3: Sir?
Speaker 4: Who could fail to be intrigued when a James Stewart calls to see one on Guy Fowk's day. It isn't just coincidence that my name is James Stewart's. I've got royal blood in my veins. People know of it, and that's another reason they're out to kill me. They're jealous of my heritage. Every instinct I have a a royal one. No, you gentlemen know that falcon is a king sport. I'm a great His hobby is a breeding in the training.
Speaker 2: Of false to us, he's mister Stewart.
Speaker 4: Owing to the state of your health, I suggest that you be as economical as possible in your explanation. In fact, I think it might be better if I were to question you very well, mister Holmes. Now you say that your life is in danger. What evidence do you have to substantiate that claim. My cousin Guy Fault and they has threatened it. Now you see, mister Holmes, he and I are the only heirs to a wealthy uncle.
Speaker 5: His fortune will go to the surviving heir.
Speaker 2: If I were dead, Guy would inherit everything to mister Stewart.
Speaker 3: You should have applied to Scoffing here for protection.
Speaker 5: I did Dr Watson only a few days ago.
Speaker 4: I saw certain Inspector Strada I think his name.
Speaker 5: Was, and he laughed at my.
Speaker 2: Field and he laughed, did he? Well?
Speaker 4: Then, in that case, there may be something in your story, sir. You say that your cousin has threatened to kill you. Has he indicated the method he intends to employ?
Speaker 5: He has, and it's a devilish plot.
Speaker 4: Guy has a bit of a twisted sense of humor, gentleman, even when he's planning as dustily a thing as a murder. I am James Stewart. He is Guy faultinby which is near enough.
Speaker 2: The guy Fox.
Speaker 4: Today is the fifth of November, and he's planning to blow me up.
Speaker 3: Who come, Come comes? You can't expect us to believe them for this.
Speaker 4: Troupe He won me, and the celebrations that are going on in the streets of London to day would make a rare club for his activities. I must confess, mister Stuart, that I find your story most I'm convincing.
Speaker 2: All your evidence appears to depend on conversations held between you and this cousin of yours.
Speaker 4: You have no facts, sir, to substantiate your planes, but I have, then, please let us hear them. I'll live at twenty three Cavendish Square. A week ago the house next door to me was let to a new tenant. Almost immediately watman became.
Speaker 5: Very active there. They were digging in the sellers.
Speaker 4: Mister Holmes, I could hear the sounds of picks and shovels through.
Speaker 3: The walls the cells.
Speaker 4: That does sound significant, dune homes extremely Did you observe any other activities of the workman, Mister Stewart him, mister Rooms than have been delivering large packing cases to the basement during the last two days.
Speaker 5: And I know what send them to.
Speaker 3: It's going put of I.
Speaker 2: Tell you they're planning to blow me up today.
Speaker 3: A citizens Statistatius City. You mustn't excite yourself again.
Speaker 5: What shall I do, mister Holmes?
Speaker 4: I think say I put the better of you to rest here for a while and then go to a nearby hotel. I would suggest the shop spring and wait there until you care from us. And where are you gentlemen going, Watson and I, after Donning's suit disguise, is well visit the house of joining yours and Cappini just square. I think an examination of the seller there might prove much illuminating. This sposed to be the household right homes the empty packing cases is still by the foot of the basement.
Speaker 2: Stepson, Let's go on and explore.
Speaker 3: On my soul. I feel a little self consciousness in these clothes.
Speaker 4: No need too, my a champ. You look a most authentic inspector of pumbing. If anyone challenges us, you'd better let me do the talking, though, I think my accent might be a little more convincing. Sh listen, I can't hear anything exactly. Then we may reasonably assume that either the workmen are observing the guy fawks holiday or that their work is done a moment's tide this door, so I'm noted. Yes, this is too easy, Watson. We must be prepared for tramp. Come on, I've gotten out of all the handle of this. There's any trouble, don't use it until I tell you to remember we are supposed to be plumbing inspectors.
Speaker 3: Spitch black in here.
Speaker 2: I can't see a thing. Strike a match. If you can't find a gas jet.
Speaker 3: Strike a match, or the cellar may be full of drum paddle.
Speaker 2: Won't take the RISKO, chap.
Speaker 3: H here's a gesture. Do I like it? That's better? Now we can see a.
Speaker 4: Little uh huh. I think the workmen have completed their job. See that new wood forming a crude door in the corner over there? Where does it lead to? Just first doubt? Oh, also unlocked. Here's a miner's vantum waiting conveniently for us on this ledge. Oh this is ridiculously you see now, I'm sure it's a trap.
Speaker 2: I like the lattern.
Speaker 3: Grits. It's a tunnel.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a tunnel leading into mister Stewart's house next door.
Speaker 2: Let's explore it.
Speaker 4: Look comes, look at the barrels. That's a full of gunpowder. Undoubtedly, will it deserve the fuses as well? Yes, the complete equipment for another gunpowder plot.
Speaker 3: I can't believe my eyes. What a fantastic plan. But could the murder of a certain that Stuart would be killed in the explosion?
Speaker 4: I think that's usually answered, buttson, remember mister Stuart's bad heart, in his present state of apprehension, and exploding fire cracker would be enough to kill him.
Speaker 3: I suppose, Hello, what's this lying on the floor? Curious funny strip of silk was a little ring on the end.
Speaker 2: Let me see button. Uh huh, this seems to be familiar.
Speaker 3: White jove a bit to es.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, the last piece of evidence necessary to conturn the conclusion.
Speaker 3: I think the hands about the heads. I've got a revolver.
Speaker 4: Right chard governor behind doing no arm I remember watch them.
Speaker 2: I'll do the talking.
Speaker 3: Come on, hard to come.
Speaker 2: Well, you're a comical looking pair. What are you doing in there? At?
Speaker 4: Me and my mate got a message to come over here and seeing the plumbing mister plumbers? Eh, do you have any identify occasion? Yes, sir, here's my bad. We'll inspect us for the London County Council.
Speaker 2: Oh that's all right, my man.
Speaker 4: I saw the basement door open and eye and I thought burgers might be here. You're the owner of this house, sir, yes, but my agent littered recent and tans have.
Speaker 2: Been behaving rather queerly, untold, so I came around here. Don't see what was happening.
Speaker 4: If you're the owner, sir, perhaps you can't give me some facts for me records, film me records.
Speaker 2: You know what do you want to know?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Your name lisir fulken guy? Look Alfie alf old your nose?
Speaker 3: What did he say?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Say nothing? He's got bed he cups at ford.
Speaker 4: Him for months now, can't stop him, alfhie, here give me a pencil, will you?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Al now, sir, your name is Guy Falcamby. What's the name of the the tenant this apse is led to. There are three of them, you know the name? Then got to have them for me records, you see, Yes, the names of Winter rope Wood and Kane. I oh, yes, Winter rope Wood and Kines. That's right, Sir. Stan says that they might be a firm of solicitors.
Speaker 2: Doubt based.
Speaker 3: Perhaps they are.
Speaker 2: I haven't met him. Just one more questions, sir, and then I needn't bother you no more.
Speaker 4: Well, what is it my religion or my grandmother's maiden name?
Speaker 3: Say?
Speaker 2: Not being knight bad.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to lived in the house next door on that side. We've had a compact from there. Two rare pipes is bugged up. My cousin lives there. His name is James Stewart. Mister James Stewart. Eh, I'm a blind, sir. Me and me mate ve going next door and come on, Alfie, I'm not surprised this pipes I'm bugged up. As just a graphically put it. He's a great one for practical jokes about the house. As a matter of fact, he's planning one of them tonight.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's no concern of yours. By the way, my man, what's your name?
Speaker 4: Nivitzer? Tom nivid Go Alphie. We've got work to do, homes. I wish you'd tell me what's going on. Well, we'd take this cab back to Bakers Street, get out of these clothes, and they have served their purpose. Now there's more serious work of foot. Well, I'm still confused about an interview with Guy Culkinby. Why did you say your name was Tom kntt more? A touch of vanity Hill follow vanefere?
Speaker 3: How do you mean?
Speaker 2: Well, consider the names in this case so far Watson.
Speaker 4: James Stewart says that he's been threatened by Guy falconby a name. As mister Stuart points out, not unlike Guy Fawkes. You'll call the names of the free tenants that mister Faulknley gave us a few minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, Winter, Rodwood and Canes. But what's that got to do with it?
Speaker 2: A great deal? Maria Fellow.
Speaker 4: Thomas Winter, Ambo's Rokewood and Robert Kaynes were the free men executed with Guy Fox in the original gunpower plot in sixteen log.
Speaker 3: Where does Tom Nivetty the name of yourself put into the mixture?
Speaker 4: Thomas Knivitt was the Westminster magistrate who arrested the conspirators, since they would be murderer of such an academic knowledge of the original plot, I thought i'd let him know that he was up against.
Speaker 2: Him, opponent worthy of his Still, we'll hear the rest of doctor watson story in just a few seconds.
Speaker 1: Just about time for me to remind you that if you want a wine that you're to please the ladies, you can't miss with Petrie California muscatel. That's because Petrie muscatel is a golden wine with one of the most luscious flavors you ever tasted. Did you ever taste a big plump muscat grape that's ripened in the sun. If you had, then you know what to expect when you taste Petree muscatell. It's a wonderful wine, perfect after dinner and swell when company comes.
Speaker 2: Just remember that, won't you, Petrie muscatell.
Speaker 1: Well, doctor, you and mister Holmes were certainly having yourselves quite a guy foalks day.
Speaker 2: What happened when you got back to Baker Street.
Speaker 3: We changed out about disguises and be controlled in the clothes. I was still pretty much in the dark as usual, and I kept christening Holmes next to our next move, even in the streets of suppressed excitement. And it was obvious as he spoke to me that he was anxious to be all.
Speaker 2: What's there's so much work ahead of.
Speaker 3: Using up Dawley. I'm bless you as fast I can. What's our next move.
Speaker 2: To split off horses?
Speaker 4: Let's get hold of my band of the street echines, the bakest street of regulars. I'm going to surround mister Stewart's house in Cavendish Square, and they will be invaluable for that purpose.
Speaker 3: So what do you want me to do?
Speaker 4: Go to past the hotel and collect mister Stewart and return with him to his house and wait for there. I shall join you as soon as I've rounded up the irregulars. But I must warn you don't leave mister Stewart for a moment. Don't set him out your sight until you see me again. Cross I want Hermes. But two, I must say, idea of all that gunper in the cellar doesn't make me feel in it too person or chat fat in me. I wouldn't expose you to any danger if I could avoid it, and I assure you that I shall join you in, mister Stuart. But it's shortly you have your revolv yes, of course, good? And UH give mister Stuart this revolver. Will you tell him that I insist that he carries it. I fear that his own has probably been tempered with to your.
Speaker 3: Homes I'll see, here's it. This is a strange business.
Speaker 4: I must sir, that guy Falkener seemed such a decent sort of follow. Yes, he appeared to be a most amiable fellow, didn't he. This is indeed an unusual case, Watson. We're off against one of the most sinister and twisted antagonists that we've never met.
Speaker 2: Well, a chap.
Speaker 4: I'm leaving now on a joint soon, and don't forget stay close to mister Stuart, Stay very close to him, Dr Watson.
Speaker 5: I wish your friend were here, Hannah, and I.
Speaker 3: Don't get so excited. Mister Stewart, you'll be here in a moment. Now. You've still got the revolver that I gave you.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's in my pocket.
Speaker 4: But what's the good of a revolver if there should be an explosion, answer me that if you can, and.
Speaker 3: You must have faith in mister Holm. Sir, he's arranging now to have his house of yours surrounded by his band of street urchins. They'll see that no one gets to the cellar next door to light diffuses.
Speaker 5: A bunch of children.
Speaker 2: How can they do anything.
Speaker 4: If you don't know the Baker street irregulars, mister Stuart, and it's a perfect day for them to operate as black faced boys begging for petus.
Speaker 3: They'd pass unnoticed anywhere.
Speaker 4: I hope you're right, but I have a premonition, doctor, there's going to be a tragedy.
Speaker 3: I know one.
Speaker 4: I'll take it easy, sir, your heart, you're in splended hands when Shelock Holmes is on the case.
Speaker 3: Here he is now, Holmes, I say, I'm glad to see you.
Speaker 4: You received your visitor, yet visit them. We've seen no one than beyond your let. I've just been questioning the boys surrounding this house. A few moments ago, some children pulled a small cart up to the back door. God continue a life sized dummy. My irregulars thought that it was a methody on its way to a bunfa.
Speaker 3: Why shouldn't it be home?
Speaker 2: I reason to believe that it's.
Speaker 4: Someone visiting you in disguise, mister Stuart, a visitor who is mounting the back stairs at this very moment.
Speaker 5: You've got to turn buy me homes.
Speaker 2: You've got to protect me, sir.
Speaker 3: And who will give that apple research to cut? A guy fox down? A doctor in his hand, and it's walking and also talking.
Speaker 2: I trust, keep away from me.
Speaker 3: I got above victorious. Say if you want to give me one, not take two. The better for me and the worse for you. It's guy falking. Keep away from me. You hear, better for me and the worse for you. All right? Then I've got a fire.
Speaker 2: That is, mister stupid of Bob that I've provided for you seems to be unloaded. How verty are what in fun?
Speaker 3: Is all this about?
Speaker 2: Just witnessing an attempted murder? What's murder? What are you talking about? This is a game, James and I had it arranged the whole thing. You may have thought it was a game, mister Parker me, but I assure.
Speaker 3: You that you're coming mister Watson alone. Take your friends off me. Put him on the server. I'll give him some digitarists.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't want to appear unnecessarily to stop it, but.
Speaker 3: Will someone tell me what this is all about?
Speaker 2: With pleasure?
Speaker 4: Mister Faucnby, your cousin had planned one of the most fantastic murder plots that I've ever encountered.
Speaker 2: He came to us with the story which would threatened his life.
Speaker 3: But that's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Under a fond of him, of course it's ridiculous. The whole plot was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: He leased the house next.
Speaker 4: Door had a tunnel dug when gunpowder and fuses planted there, even under the name of the tenant, says Winter brokewood and canes to get the apparent plot a further authenticity. You mean my cousin was the real tenant, certainly he was. However, he was toumsy enough to drop that m piece of silk with the wire ring on the end that you found your cella Watson.
Speaker 3: So you call a jest. And what's a jess.
Speaker 4: It's a strap that goes round the falcon's legs which its leash is fastened. You will remember that mister Stuart informed us that falconray is his hobby, and if therefore indicated that he had been in the cellar and consequently must have known about the whole part.
Speaker 2: And all he was trying to do is to build up in our.
Speaker 4: Minds of belief that his cousin was trying to kill him, exactly, my dear fellow. And had we believed him, of course he could have shut you just now, mister Falconby in apparent self defense.
Speaker 2: God Lord, what a fantastic plant. I I still can't find this, mister Falknby. Why are you dressed as a guy Fawk's dummy? Well, it was James's idea.
Speaker 4: He said that he was going to dress up too, and if we were to go around the bondfast night and frighten people by by appearing as live dummies. But the last message you sent to me to come up here, that we'd play a practical joke on a couple of friends of his.
Speaker 2: And did he provide you with the costume that you're wearing. Yes, as a matter of fact, he did.
Speaker 4: If you searched the pockets for any weapons, no, But I will all right while you're doing that, I'll examine this dark lantern.
Speaker 2: How's your patient? Watson.
Speaker 3: I've given him some digitalis no, give him some friends.
Speaker 2: I can't find anything in the pockets.
Speaker 4: He's the answer, my friends. Look here inside the lanterns a dagger. Our cousin planted it there to substantiate the claim that you were trying to kill him. Had his plans worked, you would have been dead, mister porkinby before you could have told us the truth. Here, come back here, missus still he said, he's taking the habsack.
Speaker 3: Come on, what's not.
Speaker 5: Home?
Speaker 3: Homes well, oil out of the way, please blow me.
Speaker 2: He comes to dove here and I'm in chance.
Speaker 4: Excuse me please, I'm trying to find a friend of mine first and put home.
Speaker 3: Well, are you watch?
Speaker 2: Come I here?
Speaker 3: You call out of the way, please, I'm coming home. Tie you got away from in the car, got away from us. We will never find him.
Speaker 2: In this Smart twelve is a dangerous man. There's no knowing what he may do. Weather your regulars. There's Wiggins.
Speaker 3: Wiggins.
Speaker 2: You can see a man run out of that house.
Speaker 3: A few minutes ago.
Speaker 4: John brad Joy did hey, Charley, mom in there.
Speaker 3: It's your own all right, I said, Charley didn't do anything. Now he's got some savvy girl with you. Hello, mister Holmes and doctor Water.
Speaker 4: Did you see a man run through this crowd a few minutes ago, Torris man with a grain of starch, Yes.
Speaker 2: I did. One man came running out of the ouse over there.
Speaker 3: Here's the ouse.
Speaker 2: Wig go. He runs down toward toward the sharp tre he he shut up, he did so what we are going to burn on a pond fire?
Speaker 3: I tried to stop, but he got a play home. Don't looked up down the roof. There's a figure like Joe's Jack shut that's the man.
Speaker 2: He's the one a store off dummy.
Speaker 3: He's standing up on the road.
Speaker 4: He's going to jump.
Speaker 3: If he does, he's throwing the line of a pawn fire. Then he goes. He is jumping right into the middle of the park.
Speaker 4: He'll be there yet. Don't bunny the gangs. That was no man who fell into the back pile. What do you mean from the girations with the pick up a pond? I said, kill my dear Watson. I'm convinced that mister Stuart threw the stolen dummy to try and put us off the track. And then Stuart's still up there. He is watching Come on, old boy, he's up on the rooftops for us. Up on the roof tops, you, Watson, Let me help you out?
Speaker 2: Can you reach my hand?
Speaker 3: I got it all right? Then up you come. Come on. It seems to me that fire escapes must be designed for chance.
Speaker 2: Keep your eye skinned, old Fellow's st A dangerous man might be hiding behind those timnistacks.
Speaker 3: Come on, pull my soul. This is a strange place to be on guy Fox Night.
Speaker 2: Yes, a comprehensive case. Watson starts in a cellar and ends on the rooftop.
Speaker 3: Look homes by the power of it.
Speaker 2: A crumpled body of mister Stewart.
Speaker 3: Looks to me as if it Yes, he's dead, Holmes.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not surprising. The habit of carrying down me up here and throwing it, combined with his own state of excitement for too much for him.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you.
Speaker 2: I can't say that. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: No, he planned the murder. Haven't been for you? E would have succeeded an extraordinary kiss Homes, Yes, it's happened.
Speaker 2: One that should run. Make us remember the fifth November.
Speaker 4: Yes, please to remember the fifth November gunpowder treason and plus I see no reason why gunpowder treason.
Speaker 2: Forever produ Well, doctor, as you boys would say, that story was a bit of exciting.
Speaker 3: What yes, even though I sort of lose my breath when I remember climbing that forest.
Speaker 1: You know, doctor, those two fellas certainly went out of their way to celebrate Guy Fox day. Now take me when I got a little celebrating the doe. I like to do it quietly, some friends, A glass of port pet reports.
Speaker 3: What else leave to you?
Speaker 4: No matter what de occasion is, you can somehow make it the perfect occasion for Petry wine.
Speaker 3: How do you do it?
Speaker 2: Who to ask me? How I do it?
Speaker 1: You mean, how to do the Petrie family do it? How can they make that swell wine? Well, the answer is experience. The Petrie family has been making fine wine for generations, and ever since they first established the Petree business way back in the eighteen hundreds, they've handed on down from father to son, from father to son, the fine art of turning luscious sun ripe and California grapes into fragrant, delicious wine. That's why when you want a wine for any occasion before dinner with your meals are after dinner, you can't go wrong with a Petree wine because Petree took time to bring you good wine. And now, doctor Watson, what's your Lock Holme's adventure you're going to tell us next week?
Speaker 4: Old favorite was about to tell a story that concerns strange music that was heard in a lonely house in the English countryside of the Living Death that stopped there.
Speaker 3: I call it the Adventure of a Speckled Bird.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 1: Sherlock Holmes Adventure is written by Dennis Green and Antony Boucher and was suggested by an incident in this Arthur Conan Doyle story. The Adventure of the Devil's Foot music was by Dean Fossler. Mister Rathbone appears through the courtesy of Metro Goldwyn Mayer and mister.
Speaker 2: Bruce through the courtesy of Universal.
Speaker 1: Pictures, where they are now starring in the Sherlock Holmes series.
Speaker 2: The Petrie Wine Company of San.
Speaker 1: Francisco, California invites you to tune in again next week, same time, same station. This is Harry Bartel saying good night for the Petrie family. Sherlock Holmes comes to you from our Hollywood studio.
Speaker 2: This is the Mutual Broadcasting Sister