Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan ray On Deli Bazy, Boston.
Speaker 2: For Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, the nominees are Adrian Brody in The Brutalist, Timothy Chalmy in a Complete, Unknown, Coleman Domingo and sing Singh ray Findes in Conclave.
Speaker 3: This is a Conclave, Alder, It's not a rule.
Speaker 2: And Sebastian stan in The Apprentice.
Speaker 4: Hello, this is Donald Trump from mister Cohne. Thank you so much, Donald Who.
Speaker 5: For Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role, the nominees are Cynthia Arrivo in Wicked, Carlo, Sophia Gascone and Amelia Perez, Mikey Madison and Honora Demi Moore in the Substance.
Speaker 4: There's been a slight misuse of the.
Speaker 5: Substance and Fernanda Torres and I'm Still Here.
Speaker 2: Here are the ten ten nominees for Best Motion Picture.
Speaker 5: Of the Year, Honora, Alex Coco, Samantha Kwahan and Sean Baker Producers.
Speaker 4: They're Brutalists. Tell me why he's an accomplished foreign architect, Shavelin Cole Here in Philadelphia, I'll love it is also.
Speaker 5: So I'm Complete, Unknown, Fred Berger, James Mangold and Alex Heineman producers.
Speaker 2: Conclave, Tessa Ross, Juliet Howell and Michael A.
Speaker 5: Jackman producers, June Part two, Mary Parents, Klee Boyder, Tany La Pointe and Deniviel Neuve producers.
Speaker 4: When you see sand here, imagine water.
Speaker 3: If you dive in, you can't.
Speaker 4: Reach the bottle you dive in.
Speaker 3: Yes, cultural don't. I don't believe you.
Speaker 4: Amelia Perez, I'm still here. Nike A Boys, the Substance and Wicked. Mark Platt producer, Get Ready for the Red Carpet Coach, Odie Harrison, George's from the Bosta Globe. Okay, I don't have to run through any of these, right, everybody's gonna remember what we just played for you. Odie, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm fine? How are you? Thanks for having me on again?
Speaker 4: No, thanks for coming on. I appreciate it. So let's do. First of all, I had ten nominees for Best Picture. For God's sakes, folks make a decision.
Speaker 3: Well, no, that's the way it used to be. See it originally was ten nominees, and then about the nineteen forty something they made it five, and then later on they wanted to go back to ten. But then they started doing that crazy rank thing where eight things get nominated one year and nine nominated another year. Do it to ten after The Dark Knight didn't get nominated the Best Picture, you know, a hobroke loose, and so this is the Academy attempting to spread the net to get more popular movies nominated some more people who watched the show. The ratings are not great, okay, Now with Barbenheimer they were better because Barbienhemer was the hot thing right right that it was rooting for Barbie Roppenheimer. There's no it was wiki eater. But Gladiator two only got one nomination. It's just a different world this year. So that's why they made it ten ten now. But ten is not gonna be usual. It used to be ten.
Speaker 4: So well that makes sense. Thank you for explaining it. I appreciate it. Is there anybody in the ten or any film in the ten you do not believe is deserving?
Speaker 3: Yeah? A complete unknown for starters. That that's of the ten, that's my least favorite. Is the only one that made by ten worse list was a complete unknown. And when I did the predictions in the paper, you know, for best director, which will get to I suppose in the second the DGA nominees are your best bet for guessing what's going to be nominated for Best Director, and the DGA winner that's the director go The DGA winner is usually the winner of the actual Best Director OSCAR. They're a good go weather of what's going to happen. But normally what happens is one of them dropped out. But there's five nominees forre get nominated for the OSCAR, and one gets the surprise replacement. I dropped out the wrong director, so James Mangle got nominated for a Complete Unknown. He was the one I dropped out of the directing category. The one who did get dropped was Edward Berger or Conclave, and quite frankly, they made the wrong choice.
Speaker 4: I agree with you one hundred percent. And I have to say I have not seen Complete Unknown. I saw Conclave and I thought it was phenomenal.
Speaker 3: I think it's great. It was number nine on my ten best list and it's very well directed. Now this is from the director whose last movie I hate, All Quiet on the Westernront. It was only ten worsleiss I hated, so I was telling that I had to be dragged to Conclave at this Toronto Film Festival because I didn't want to see it. I'm like that this guy director, you know Catholic posts. I went to Catholic University. I was the guy, I don't want to see this, and I went and it was wonderful.
Speaker 4: They did. Yeah, it finds is great. We'll get to fines in a minute. So okay, so let me ask you this. Do Doom Part two Wicked? And did those two have a snowballs chance in hell of winning Best Picture?
Speaker 3: Well, Doom no, and Wicked and Dune had the same problem. They both made a lot of money, but they're both not. And remember when Lord of the Rings was nominated. All three of the Lord of the Rings movies were nominated, they waited for the last one to give it the Best Picture Oscar Wicked is Wicked Part one, even though it's longer than the whole musical. Dune Part two. As we saw in Being part two, they pulled the rope a dope on us and they're gonna be a Dune part three, So I don't think they're gonna it has a shot. However, I could be wrong about Wicked June Part two. I don't think he has a chance in hell. But Wicked, it might surprise us.
Speaker 4: What did you think of Wicked?
Speaker 3: You know I didn't. I did not like Gum part two at all. Wicked. I gave two and a half stars out of four or two. So that was kind of like a steed. I think that those women can sing, but it stretched out so long. I stow the musical on Broadway, and I thought it was fine. But in stretching is that on the two parts? It just I just got there and I was bored. But those Cynthia Rivo and Arion the Grinding guests, to talk about them in a minute, they both sang their butts off, and that was a big plus to get people in the music who actually can sing.
Speaker 4: Well right, Oh, they're phenomenal. I mean. And I was listening to a podcast with Grande who talked about how she had to completely reinvent her voice. She totally had to change the way that she was singing. And of course, just regular people who go to the movies, they don't want to think about that. They just think, oh, well, she's a pop star, she could sing. She completely She went to a coach and spent a year and she wasn't even guaranteed the part.
Speaker 3: Right. They were going to change some of the numbers to fit her voice right, and she said, no, I want to sing it the way that it was written, you know, for the musical. You know, I don't want to change it to make it sound like it's Ariana Grande is popular. I want to make it sound like it's even sports is popular. That's the writer of Wicked musical. I give her much credit for that. I liked her popular. A lot of people didn't, but I thought it was fun. I think she's over the top in terms of the comedic part of it. So I wasn't exactly crazy about her acting. But like I said, I mean, they sang and in the musical. That's the best thing you could hope for, is that people can sing and they can sell the numbers. And they both did.
Speaker 4: I bet you, what do you think about Nickel Boys, Well.
Speaker 3: That was my number one movie of the year. It doesn't have a shot in hell Dune has a better shot than Nickel Well like Nickel Boys. I mean, they didn't nominate the one thing I expected them to nominate Nickel Boys for, which is a cinematographer. But I knew the director wasn't going to get in, but the cinematography. I thought I could have bet money, I could have bet a body part that it was going to get nominated and I would just have to be implicated because they didn't nominate it. I was donne by that Nickel Boys think it's two nominations. I think it does. Think it as adapted screenplay and that's Sitcher and that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm surprised. I see. I really thought Nickel Boys. I thought that that might be that might surprise some people.
Speaker 3: No, huh, that's well, I mean to me, when I was doing my prediction that I said it was either Gon Nickel Boys or Sing Sing and A twenty four did Sing Sing Dirty by hiding it from everybody. And I saw Stinging a year ago at Tiff. This is when Coleman Domingo was getting nominated for rustin which I also thought Tiff and so Stinxing was the other hot Comen Domingo performance. We had to wait of the year to get it, and then A twenty four hit. I mean even I had a hard time trying to find it to rewatch it. If I could you literalize myself with the movie because they've been the year since I've seen it. I think You're a twenty four. Put more behind it, it would have gotten more nomination. It would have been Best Picture, probably placing Nickelboys or I'm Still here. It could have lost, but that's not what happens. Singing is up for several nominations. The daft to Stein plays Coma Domingo for actors. I think there's a song nomination. I think it's up for as well.
Speaker 4: So the Complete Unknowns and the Springsteen movie that's coming out right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but the guy that the guy that plays with the bear, the Bear whe I haven't seen any clips of that because obviously.
Speaker 4: It's not well, they just wrapped. I think they literally. I think I heard today like they wrapped today or something. I just think these things are impossible, And maybe it's because I'm old enough, like I I remember Dylan, I remember I certainly remember Springsteen. I love The Bear. It's my favorite show. It's my favorite thing on to watch on a screen. I am having such a.
Speaker 3: Hard Springsteen though, when that's.
Speaker 4: The PROBABLEM no, no, no, I mean I see it like I saw some video of like the Boss, like on the streets in Asbury. They're shooting the scene they see Jeremy ana White walking down the road with a leather jacket. I'm like, WTF, what Well?
Speaker 3: No spring Springsteen gave his approval, But then again a lot of these stars give their approval, and I don't think they really need They're just doing it, you know, because they want you to go see the movie. I have not heard Jeremy allah like, and he's singing so tim singing Springstein songs. They're not dubbing him. He's actually gonna sing just like Timothy Shallowmey is saying for Dylan. I've seen Bruce springs down from New Jersey, so obviously I've seen Bruce spreasty eight times. I wrote three pieces on Bruce Springston in the Paper over the two and a half years that've been at the paper. So I'm not obviously a huge Bruce speaking fan, and I am not looking forward to this. I'm not a huge family's biopics. As evidenced by stone of my reviews, they all, you know, do the same thing, h and do you buy this person? I bought Jamie Fox's Ray Charles because number one, he's a classically pain pie in this and a Stinger. So he was playing the piano and he kind of looks like Ray Charles. I bought it, but you know, Jeremy ell and White, I reserve judgment. Will I see it. But that's why I asked you would you buy him?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't have you said, I don't have high hopes for it at all. I mean, and and Chalomay. You know, he's funny on SNL. But as Dylan forget it, we just forget it.
Speaker 3: Really, I'm surprised that you're saying. I mean, I got so much hate mail from angry boomer.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no Dylan, No no, no, no, no no. I just think they should be left untouched. I you know the other one. The other one was Freddie Mercury. Sasha Baron Cohene was going to play him, which I thought, had he had a better shot of pulling it off. Then what's his name? I forgot the kid's name. I mean, you know, I don't mean it was good.
Speaker 3: No, he wasn't good. And I studied won the Oscar because of his tea.
Speaker 4: Because of that's right. I forgot he won the damn thing. He wasn't look Freddy Mercury is iconic in my eyes, Queen is iconic. I conic, you know, and they're diminishing like they're diminishing these guys. That's like The Boss is iconic, Freddy Mercury, the Boston Dylan, three of the greatest front people in the history of rock and roll, and they just water the sauce with these films. I mean the Queen movie, I hated it.
Speaker 3: I hate it was number five of my sin worstless. I hate it.
Speaker 4: And I wouldn't even watch the Elton John one with what's his face?
Speaker 3: That's be good because number one talent, Leggatson's saying he's singers on John number two. Unlike the Queen movie, they didn't be gay out on John that they gave Freddy Murphy.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: I think Blacking Man is a much better movie, was much more honest movie with the drugs and is rated off and you know Bahemian Rastery. It was a gimmick and I think it's the gimmick with a complete which is why I despised it so much. It's two hours of karaoke. And I said this to my review. If you're a Dylan fans, I'm not. I think he's a brilliant songwriter, but I can't stand to hear him sing. If you are Dylan fan, like I'm a Bruce Spinksbey fan, I would rather listen to Bruce Spriinkston's records than go see Jeremy Allen White hard fans. So I was kind of pissed off that all these people are writing these nasty emails because I panned a movie with the twink Is playing above Dylan instead of dying. Now in mind, there was another movie. I'm gonna get it wrong, I'm not there. I think it was what it was called, Yes, And he had Kave Blanchet, who looked like Harpo Mark, playing Dylan. You had a little black girl playing Dylan. I mean, so the whole coast of Dylan and these movies with him I never bought into. And I think that kind of put me on guard for a complete unknown. But there's no movie. It's two hours of people seeing cosplay and then it's twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Often well, I just think that also, you know, a lot of the times movies were made because about historical individuals because there was no other record of them. I can watch Dylan, I can watch Dylan, you know, I can watch Springsteen. I don't need to have it recreated.
Speaker 3: I don't you can answer a question for me, because this is my The customary review was like, I didn't understand why it was such a big deal for doing to go electric, and the movie doesn't explain it either, And that's what maybe even matter because I went in thinking I'm going to learn something and I didn't get squatted.
Speaker 4: Yeah that sucks now. I mean, I think the best movie. I think the best it was probably Eddie and the Cruisers, the movie that was a fun movie because they I mean, I guess it was based on the Doors or supposedly, but it was a made up band. All Right, we're gonna take a break up again. Don't go anywhere. We got a lot more work to do. Odie Henderson, Boston Globe talking Oscars next WBZ Now back to DANZ Live from the Window World.
Speaker 1: Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 4: Odie Henderson Film credit, Boston Globe talking about the Oscar nominations.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 4: Okay, Odie, So the best picture is it going to be The Brutalist or is it going to be Amelia Perez?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think best pictures a little more wide open than you thought. I would have if you a week ago, if you'd asked me this question, I would have said, Amelia Petters is going to win, then Amelia Peti is lead actress.
Speaker 4: With Oh, that's right. Oh I forgot that's right, that's right. You fill us in. What happened again, it was her social media.
Speaker 3: History or her social media history were surprise me. Netflix didn't scrub because usually they do this when there's Oscar consideration, because people will dig this up. I mean, there's always oster. It's like conclict, there's always you know, hey, yeah, gonna be pope. All of a sudden there's some dirt about them, right, which is why I love that movie. Simply happens to the Oscars. But in this case, what she kept doing was, rather than just be apologetic, and even if she relyed, she dug herself deeper and deeper. She's continuing to dig herself deeper. And it turned out that she was both Ani Semitic and is vomophobic and racist and homophobic, and it just got worse and worse worse. Now the Oscars voting, they start voting on the eleven, they stop voting next week and there's a week of them voting, so they haven't actually started to vote yet. But what's going to be best whatever, So they started voting already. I they would have said a million Petters is going to win. But now I wonder what's going to happen there. Now the Brutalist has its own problem with AI. There's a much less issue than Avilia Petters. You know, in Ancient Broody and Philicity Jones had their voices tweaked, their Hungarian language tweaked with AI, and then AI was also responsible showing some of the drawings at the end of the movie. Now it made me think of Meryl Street yelling, you know, how do you need to brief an AI to do all my accents? And I think that, you know, that's an issue. I think it's a problem with having your performance enhanced by AI. But that's much less of a deal because both Adrian Brodie and Felicity Jones agreed to it. So it's not like they robbed someone else's.
Speaker 4: Right, right, right, right, right right.
Speaker 3: So that's a little bit different than if they took and got you know, they put Meryl Street in the thing and had heard Hungarian accent. You know, whatever, so that's much less. But and these things do actually cause you issues. That's why all the competitors big up water dirt. They can actually sway a voter. But I think Amelia Peda says another option because it's also for international films, So if it doesn't the Less Picture, it has a better shot any International Feature Films category. Both anster Here and Amelia Petas are both nominated for Best Picture and Best International Feature Film. So now that brings up is the brutalist that's the kind of movie that wins the Best Picture. Three and a half hours long. It's an epic. Octor likes this type of thing, so I think it has a better shot. Now Anorra, which won the Palm Door. People are saying that could sneak in the Best Picture. But I think Anora has a better shot for a screenplay or director than it does or picture. But you never know. Some of these things sneaking like coda, remember coda one boy. Yeah, that's out of nowhere, so you never know. I mean it's but like I said a week ago, if you was twist MYRL and I would have told you a video petitis and that would have been like confident. Now Conclave is the movie that I think could sneak anyone because remember Best Picture is ranked, so like a movie doesn't have to have the most number one first place wots to win. It just has to have enough boats and the tally has to add up to being you know, winning number. So Conclave could sneak in on that kind of rank the ballot. Nope, So don't dismiss Concrete just yet. But don't I don't know. I mean, I have to make a decision because I have to write up my predictions for these things. Ask me, you know, I'm just gonna flip a coin between you know, the Blue Wrist.
Speaker 4: And Well, the thing I tell you about The Conclave is that it just goes to show with great writing and great acting, you don't need to blow up cars and buildings to have a suspenseful movie.
Speaker 3: And it's gorgeous. I'm so nominated. I got NOMINATIOND Cinematography. I'm pretty sure it did. I'm stuck in here. No it did not. That's shocking, because that movie was gorgeous.
Speaker 4: It was I love Tucci. The great line in that with Tucci is when he says, to find you know this is war. You know this is war, which some listen. I grew up Catholic, man, I know all the stuff it and it's you know, it's the Vatican is a political We all know there's a lot of problems as political as any place on earth. And I thought that that line with Tucci was like this is war. I thought that that was that was just perfect. The thing about people cover your ears if you haven't seen Amelia Paris, and if you haven't seen it yet, you're probably not going to see it.
Speaker 3: I was easy than the watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I liked I really liked the movie until the end. I thought the end they sold out.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's a review and I stow it at your film festival and I said, who was this movie for? Why did they make this movie the way they didn't? I love musical. That was probably a little nicer to it than I should have been, because I kind of had fun with the musical numbers because they were ridiculous. But I didn't, you know, particularly think that it was all these nominations got thirteen and I definitely didn't deserve the majority of the nominations that it thought. But I sent in my review. I like movies sometimes where I can't figure out, Like, I'm just stuck, like, what the hell did I just watch? I'm that's an interest being a comtemplate, even if you don't like it. But yeah, I think they've been overboard with all these nominations, which happens every year, it does. I don't know. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean I sat down, I mean I love movies. I watched it and I go, this, this is great, and then they you know, I'm in it. I really thought it did a great job showcasing. Shoot, I just forgot her name, Yes, yes, she yeah, Zoey Selda who I'm a fan, I mean, I'm.
Speaker 3: I'm she should have been. This is category for aud of the Biggest Order because this happens all the time. He's in supporting actress. She's in the movie more than Carlos, So you know this has happened to Mela Davis was a supporting actress. She was clearly actress for for Fences has a really good shot of winning one.
Speaker 4: I hope she wins. I'm trying to see who else is here? Is it?
Speaker 3: Barbara was in it for a complete and mine I ran the Grande. So listening to Johnson, the brutalist Isabella Rossellini for Concleve. I'm glad she got nominated because her scene is the scene in that movie yeah and all you one good scene and supporting actress for five minutes. She won the out. Well.
Speaker 4: I hope so Donia wins because I mean she's been in all those superhero movies. They're all the oh God.
Speaker 3: And yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 4: You don't get to see her. I mean she I mean, and she can't. Boy, she can act in that series that she's in a series on Paramount Plus where she's great too. I mean she is a Yeah, she is a very talented actor and I would love to see her win. And I thought she was fantastic in this.
Speaker 2: But she.
Speaker 4: Wins. I totally hope she was. I was with her eyes up until the end, and I just thought they sold out at the end where it was you needed to have you got to make a decision here and those.
Speaker 3: Of you, I'm not gonna it.
Speaker 4: Was like I was with you up until the end because I like to see something different. I like to see big swings. It was a big swing. Okay, they did something different. They took a big swing. I applauded, but yeah, the ending bumping out. Okay, real quick here, So now what about the substance.
Speaker 3: What's that the substance? Did you see the substance? I did not, well see the the The chaos muppet in me wants the substance to win this pitcher. And here's the thing. I like the substance. I didn't love it. I gave it three stars out of four. It's extremely glory and the readers know I love letting guts uh, And that's kind of the chaos agent and me is hoping the substance is just pictures not but give me more. On the other hand, since the whole thing was Carlosia Gascon is blown up anymore. Is not a front runner. I'm winning just four for the substance. Well, I was going to come back earlier of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she and I could see that happening because I was gonna I don't I don't think is gonna win it for Wicked though I thought she.
Speaker 3: Was phenomenald the next one, and I mean, I think she's the reason. I don't understand why she's not the front runner in this category. They say that they don't like her in Hollywood. She's gotten to non Oscar nominations already. They may be waiting to give it to her for Wicked because apparently her part is even bigger in Wicked Part two. I'm just you know, going that out there, but I don't know. I think she that's not forgetting Mikey Madagon for Anora. And the funny thing is that in some days the actress to go to, you know, the young person, and I think that backfires for Mikey Madison it was fantastic and Anora because the comeback story is too with well.
Speaker 4: I think it's also good for Hollywood to have an older woman win. I mean, I think it's I mean, I'm a huge I'm a huge Demi Moore, Demi fan. I think she can.
Speaker 3: Yes, I would get it wrong.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have something I'm gonna tell. I'm going to surprise you with my pig for actor and a leading role that's coming up next here on WBZ. You're on night Side with Dan on w.
Speaker 3: News Radio.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're talking Oscar nominations, Gary and for Dan to and Idodie Henderson at the Globe was with us. Okay, Odie, here's my big actor in a leading role. And I watched this movie the other night, Sebastian stan.
Speaker 3: I figured you were going to say that. I was surprised he got nominated for this. I thought he would get nominated for a different man. He was up for two, potentially two roles. In fact, I predicted that if he got nominated before a different man. So that's the wrong movie. I knew Jeremy Strong wasn't nominated have the whole succession fight and supporting actor with Kiaren Colchin, but he was a bit of a surprise for The Apprentice. I assumed you might get nominated for a different man. So I must be honest with you, and I'm probably gonna be aspired for saying this. I didn't see The Apprentice, and it was the surprise movie at tiff and I think James old Jones had died at that day, and I wrote the I did his obituary rather than goes to The Apprentice.
Speaker 4: And I cannot fault you for that. I mean, it's it's baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll tell me about his performance. I mean.
Speaker 4: I went into The Apprentice thinking, Okay, this is just going to be maybe because I wanted to see Jeremy Jeremy Strong, right, And I'm also a stand guy. I you know, I'm glad that he's getting some run. I remember Sebastian stan Is the comedian who stepped in front of the cab in the Oh God. It only lasted for a year. It was about stand up comedy. In La Melissa Leo played Mitzi.
Speaker 3: America.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well oh right, well yeah, buddy there or whatever. Yeah, the superhero movies. Whatever. I don't care about that, but yes, he isn't Captain America, but he plays the stand up comedian that is on Carson. And then because he was on Carson, he reached the Pinnacle, went to the hotel room, watched himself on Carson, took a drink of whiskey, went downstairs, and stepped in front of a cab because life could never get better. It was one episode and I was like, who's that guy? And then I saw him and I didn't even know it was the same guy in the Captain America movies. And then I started to see him a lot as of late. And when I said I got to see Sebastians stand and then Jeremy Strong, I wanted to see him. I didn't think the movie was going to be that good and I understand what it is. You know, I get it. It's not a documentary, Odie, I understand what it is. I loved it, and I thought I really did because I get it. I thought Strong was unreal. I also thought that the part was tailor made for him. But I think Sebastian said he just didn't have the size of Trump. I thought he nailed it. I thought he nailed it.
Speaker 3: He's supposed to be young Trump, right, He's supposed.
Speaker 4: To go, yeah, yeah, he's young Trump.
Speaker 3: I thought he Roy Cone, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was Roy Cone, Jeremy Strong and Roy Cone and then you know, and then you just see in the basically the young Trump is doing what he's doing now, deny deny, deny, deny, deny, lie lie live and at the beginning of the movie, Roy Cone tells him rule number one, Deny, deny, deny, right exactly.
Speaker 3: Roy Tone says that to him, that was a whole point and angels in America. He says it as well, Remember Roy Tone is.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah he dies of a yeah. So I just I really was. I'm a huge stand guy now and he's not gonna win, but you know, I could, you know, I I just loved it. I thought, I thought it was really underrated.
Speaker 3: Who do you think is gonna win Best Actor? I've got my choice, But who do you think it's.
Speaker 4: Gonna Chlamy cannot win? My god, he cannot.
Speaker 3: You're in trouble.
Speaker 4: You know what. If he wins, it's like it's a it's like running for student council president. I mean, my god, it's a popularity contest. He can't win.
Speaker 3: You He's you know, he's been nominated before. He was great in the Corner By Your Name. I'm not a huge Shalloony fan. In fact, on the opposite of ease. I like the Wonker movie, which people got madery for liking him in that, But I thought he was very good in that. I don't think he's good here. I think he's just doing karaoke. Agrian Brody would be my choice, but he's already gotten Oscar, so that kind of throws you off.
Speaker 4: Does similar they're kind of he does sign it's sometimes he puts. I think I thought he was a great pat Riley in the Lakers series, but Brody kind of plays the same guy, doesn't he Well, I mean.
Speaker 3: This is kind of similar to you before. His role in the pianist. But I think it's I think it's a good performance in the movie that I wasn't exactly crazy about him, and I liked it to a point. I gave it three stars, but we call the polite three star rating, which means it should have gotten two and a half stars. But I was feeling in terrible and gave it. So, I mean, can we talk about my biggest complaint real quick since we're talking about actuses. When I was this year, I was very undergone by the Oscar nominations. In fact, it's the first year and many many years I could think of when I don't even want to watch the show. And this is going back to someone who before was a football junkie. Before because a baseball lover, I loved y'all. This is like my super Bowl before I got into the super Bowl, and so for me to not want to watch it, And what through me is that Mary Anne Jean did not get nominated for Best Acts, and that meant that the people that were voting did not watch the movie because they loved Mike Lee. She's in hard to so Mike Lee movie. Mike Lee is always getting a screenplay nomination. The screenpaint nomination is always the wee oe nomination or here take this nomination is your consolation prize. The screenplay nominations for many years have always been that the you gets to nominated, that the only nomination they get. They love Mike Lee's been nominated five time screenplay. If they watched the movie, you would have gotten nominated. I know they didn't watch it because he did not get nominated. She has won every award there is, including the National Society Film Critics for which I'm a member. She wasn't even nominated, and it's the best performing hands down by anybody. Last year. And when she didn't get nominate and I did, I presuly she wasn't nominated, so I wasn't like a surprise. I was done with the show. Now this is a complete unknown or this nacisiting ten nominations, Aaron not getting nominated, the hell with the Austin. Of course I have to watch it. It's my job, right right, right, right right right, So this is the first year I feel like it's my job as opposed to be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah that sucks. Yeah, So who you who do you guys find to Domingo?
Speaker 3: Then oh no, no, I think to Chalam is winning, you want to win?
Speaker 4: No, I understand you said, Charlam, I think it. I listen. He seems like a nice guy. He was funny on SNL. But he should not win. So I mean, I'm going by you didn't see the Apprentice, and I do think if you get a chance, just watch it.
Speaker 3: But I have to watch it now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, but like Brody, I mean, so what do you so? Then it's Domingo or Fines for you? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I would go with Collen Diming. I think he's given. But I mean if race Fine is one, I wouldn't be upset.
Speaker 4: Right, But yeah, Charla may cannot win, but you're probably right if he can't. All right, So so we think Jeremy, Jeremy before we go Guy Pierce, Man, Guy Pierce is the man. I mean, did he did he win from Amento? He went from Amento? Didn't he?
Speaker 3: No, he was never nominated for anything.
Speaker 4: He wasn't nominated from Memento.
Speaker 3: Or l A Confidential. Enough.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a crime crime were.
Speaker 3: Doing both cases of La Confidential and momental. But this is his first nomination. We already know who's winning. Supporting acting it's gonna be Kerry Koch and he's gonna eat Jerry Strong on.
Speaker 4: The kay stop stop stop stop. I saw that movie. I don't get. I mean, I understand overrated.
Speaker 3: The number ten movie of the year was another ten movie. It was my number ten movie of the.
Speaker 4: Year, number ten movies.
Speaker 3: He should be in the lead actor. He's the lead, he's the co lead. It's only two people in the movie.
Speaker 4: Really, but you know, you gotta have a resolution at the end. He starts in the airport, he ends in the airport.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's the resolution. And say to MRV had this and Horror Truth and pretty much the exactly the same way. So if you didn't like this one, you're gonna hate Horror Truth. But uh, I thought he was fantastic, and I do it is for him in for in the critical War. I think he deserves to win. I would rather have him win than Edward Norton.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I agree with that. I totally agree with that. I'm a guy, Pierce guy. I think I think Pierce is a guy that could have been a leading man and he's just made some brave choices and I would like to see Pierce win it. But Karen Kalcok is probably gonna win it because of the succession thing. And he was very good in the movie. He was very good in the movie. I didn't like the movie as much as I thought I was gonna like it.
Speaker 3: But funny guy Pierce, he's again You're right, he's a great actor and if you want it wouldn't upset me. They're very few choices this year that would irritate the hell out of you if they want. Timoy Shall one of them. But you know, yeah, I thought of Edward Norton, who apparently got his teeth done. You a method acting. He got a to look like, let me ask you, do you know what look like?
Speaker 4: No, But Edward Norton have kind of soured on him after seeing some I've just heard some stuff. I mean, I don't know, like I I thought that obviously when he came on the scene with Richard gear.
Speaker 3: Which a movie I hated him, and I hate that performance because in that movie he got nominated it in.
Speaker 4: But see I liked it. But and I thought, Okay, this guy's got it. But I've just heard some things about just the the arrogance of it, and I just believe that you know, actors should be if you're acting, if you're getting paid to act, you should be grateful. Okay, because you should be grateful, you know.
Speaker 3: But you know a lot of actors this is their stocking, you know, and trade of being difficult. I'll use a nice word on the radio.
Speaker 4: But but but not all of them all like that some great actor. I mean, I'm just I think that that isn't the minority.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I have to ask you your love the music? What about own John here? You know Owen John's nominated for a song from his documentary. Have you seen that documentary? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Document know, and I need to that's on the list. I need to do that. Hang, I want to talk about that. I got to take a quick break here, and then we're gonna come right back and finish up with we'll talk about Elton John on w b Z.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 4: Ody Anderson, Boston Globe Wethers finishing out the hour. What about the Elton John song? Odie, Sorry I had to cut you off.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I was asking me to seen the movie. He's up for original song this category. There's two from Amelia Petters. And then there's Diane Warren, her sixteenth Auscar nomination for The Journey, which is the first movie first song, a first ASCAR nomination for a Tyler Perry movie, the sixth Triple Eight. He wrote the song for it, So this is the sixteenth nomination. She's actually beaten Randy Newman because he's won twice in the in terms of being nominated winning an Oscar. Now she has an honorary Oscar. They gave it to her, but it'd be funny if she actually wanted to winning the Oscar out right after sixteen tries.
Speaker 4: Man, I saw on her She's she's crazy. I mean in a good way.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's crazy in a funn way. You should see that documentary when you're watching. After you watch hel On john documentary, watch her documentary. Diane Warren relentless basically has more f words and that than scarf. Every other word in her mouth was theory. I'm like I do. I was like, yeah, some more, Diane Warrant.
Speaker 4: Oh, I saw like clips of it and I can't remember where I saw it, but I go, holy cow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, she got a mouth from her.
Speaker 4: But the way she works I mean, she's just fearless.
Speaker 3: I think it's fascinating how she works because I know they show her how. I love process in movies. I always tell people my reviews that stuff you might find boring, like how things get done.
Speaker 4: I love that stuff.
Speaker 3: She goes to some of her how she writes some of the songs. She says, don't ask me that my process. Don't ever ask me again. But you see her doing a little bit about it, you know, you see Al John do it. And that Al John document is a really fascinating little section about how he was dealing with a song. That's really fascinating to watch. So so I had complaining. Can I just mention the things that I'm actually happy about that got nominated films?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, so.
Speaker 3: The Animated Future category. I'm glad that Flow, which is my number four movie of the year, and The Wild Robot, which is my number sixth movie, got nominated for Animated Feature along with Wallace and Dramat. I'm a huge Wallace and Gramat fan. And Flow also got nominated for International Features. So it's up with two oscars. I hope it wins both of them. Uh. We score for The Wild Robot and for Conclave beautiful music. Both got nominated for the Oscar. That was that was happy about that. Uh, who else but Isabella Russellingia I mentioned that a stategy for being nominated. I figured she could get in because this is a perfect kind of supporting role, you know. But she has the one big scene and that's great. Uh, those are things I'm happy, But this Conclave is being nominated for production design not for cinematogy is kind of ridiculous. You think about it. They look gorgeous, but they're in one rooms.
Speaker 4: Well, the thought crossed my mind. I mean it was well decorated. Listen, I'm glad. I'm glad you got some happiness out of this process.
Speaker 3: Yes, every year I do, but this year was. I guess that's more miserable. And I'm hoping for your sake that similarly show how many ruts And I'll think about you on Austin night.
Speaker 4: He better not win, I'm telling you right now, I don't know what I'll do, but he better. I really know that that can't happen.
Speaker 3: We'll have a post Oscar discussion where you can vent Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Odie, thanks for coming on. We look forward to seeing your predictions in the Globe.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me on again.
Speaker 4: This is fun, okay anytime, buddy, all right, ode hear her say. Boston Globe does a great job covering movies, which I love to talk about. As you guys know, all right, the freak from the West Coast, My moderate friend from La Sam Metler, is on deck here on WBC's Night Side