Speaker 1: Cassy.
Speaker 2: This is the seventy seven WABC Mini Cast. Now we are going to our featured guests here today, a person that I by the way, she's got great energy. I love her energy. You know, she's she's really energetic, and you know what, and she came to WABC Radio, which is cool. You know, she's got cohona is because you know what, most Democrats don't want to come to WABC radio because they think we are going to attack them. I don't ever attack my guests. I have conversations with them and I let them be heard because if they're heard, they can get their point across. And for our million plus listeners, I want you to know that Emily Gallagher is a wonderful assembly woman and she's from Brooklyn. You know, ladies and gentlemen or whatever your pronouns are here assembly Woman Emily Gallagher. Assembly Woman Gallagher. She represents Green Points, she represents Williamsburg. Those are the communities that are really throbbing. So congratulations, and you're doing a great job there, Emily, because the streets are pretty clean. You know, you've got a whole elected officials responsible when their streets are dirty. But your streets are clean. I gotta give you that. But listen, Emily, you said something today. I want to I want to play play the videotape here, Come on, ahs.
Speaker 3: What we saw were kinds of poverty. People who are stealing things like toothpaste, people who are stealing things like you know so. And that means if you're stealing those things, you need them. And we are choosing to protect billion dollar companies like CBS and Walgreens over the people who are struggling to get by.
Speaker 2: Well, Emily Gallagher got national attention. Man, she really tweeked what she said. And I like it because you know what she said, it raw, okay, and she said it how she felt. But I have a simple question, Emily, is shoplifting right or wrong?
Speaker 3: Look, my point is that we are investing in a system with our taxpayer dollars that doesn't work, and that is putting people in prison or jail for low level crime and even prosecuting them running them through the system. There's been so much research on this that shows that this doesn't actually decrease crime, it keeps it about the same, and actually it really worsens outcomes for peopleeople who end up in the system from shoplifting. So I think my criticism here is that folks who are shoplifting out of poverty, out of desperation, they should be treated with some different kinds of interventions than prison and jail. And we actually have a lot of data that backs that up. So I'm fighting to change the way that we handle this, not to say that shoplifting is something that we should encourage, but rather that shoplifting is a symptom and there are different ways to cure it.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, Emily, I like you had a program at Rikers Island many years ago, eighty nine to ninety and ninety one, three years where I invested my own money about one hundred thousand dollars a year back then to allow non violent inmates to learn of skills so that they wouldn't go back to jail. Okay, but they were already in jail, and they were in jail probably for things like shoplifting, looting, and all of these things. But my question to you was is shoplifting right or wrong? There's a yes or no question.
Speaker 3: I would say shoplifting is not right.
Speaker 2: It's not okay, good, you know what you see guys, That's why you've got to give people an opportunity to be heard. Right. Emily doesn't believe that shoplifting is a good thing. So you know, she said shoplifting is no So Emily, you say, some people still out of necessity. But everybody needs something. We all need something. If I need something, I'm not going to go into CVS or Walmart or any and just take it because I want it. You know, there's got to be some What kind of penalty would you if you were the mayor of this city, if you were the police commission, if you were the attorney general, or if you were the a or the district attorney? What solutions? What punishment would you give to someone that goes into a bodega? I represent bodegas, yeah, I represent cab drivers. Yeah. And you know a lot of people get in a cab and they get out the car at a red light and they run and they don't pay the fare. So cab drivers get stuck losing fifty dollars, ride seventy dollars, ride thirty dollars. It is devastating to them. Mentor bodega, it's even more devastating because these are small businesses that pay a lot of rent. A lot of taxes, a lot of things. What would you tell these small businesses, because let's say listen CBS and Walmart, it's not acceptable for I don't think people to loot them because then they leave the city and a lot of them have closed. That's why you see a lot of empty stores in New York because you're in COVID, and even past COVID, a lot of looting took place and these businesses had to shut down, right, So who are the losers? Communities lost, right because now we don't have a place where to going shop. But to the small businesses, what would you tell Ravametz Rodriguez, for example, Hey, somebody came in here looted you. They robbed you for toothpaste and toilet paper and stuff, And what kind of penalty would you recommend for someone like this?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I really think that there's a big difference between the crimes that happened at like a CVS or Walgreens billion dollar companies that actually are doing a lot of leveraging that are actually impacting their own crime rates. Like there were studies in twenty twenty three that really dug into this retail theft story and what they found was that the main cause was that they had really got rid of a lot of their employees and they had all those self checkouts things like that, and actually, and in a shareholder call, the CEO of Walgreens said, like, maybe we have actually exaggerated our losses. Losses at those big companies to shoplifting are actually zero point zero seven percent. Most of what they experience is like over buying or fraud. It's a totally different kind of thing. I am for small businesses because I think those are the ones that really provide community support. Those are the kind of guys like I had a bodega across the street from my house for ten years where they were like family to me, Like hold your thought, yes.
Speaker 1: Hold your thought, because you've got to get a commercial break and we'll be right back. Okay, okay, okay, okay, you all know me, but listen, I just want for those of you that are just tuning in now, okay, that tuned in late.
Speaker 2: You know, there's no excuses for being late to my show. Okay, no excuses for that. But for those of you that are late, I have here the great Emily Gallagher Assemblymen from Williamsburg and Greenpoint, and you know, those neighborhoods are kicking. They are clean, they are great, they are nice. So she's doing she's doing her part, okay, And I'm sure she's uh, she's doing the best that she can. But she said something very controversial this week, man, and it got her all over. She wasn't even on Fox News. She was on Fox News. Man, you made it to the big league.
Speaker 3: It was really impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and listen, although she has said here on this show that she does not agree with chopliftings. She thinks it's wrong, she also believes that there's, uh has to be other other things other than sending these people to jail. Okay, So Emily continue. You said you had a bodega in front of your house, right.
Speaker 3: I think everybody in New York City has has like a relationship with the bodega near their house. And and one thing that I know is true about small businesses is that they usually have community connections. They know the people in their neighborhood, They know who needs a little help, and they usually work it out with them. Like I know that the guys that had the Delhi across the street from mine, and they've been so successful. They've had two more delis. One of them even went in and started his own HVAC company. They they would help people who needed a little help. So I know that there were people that would go in there and they would say like, hey, man, like I don't get paid till next week, and they'd be like, hey, you take what you need and come back next week. And because they had a relationship that was able to sustain like that good connection. And what I'm seeing in my district is that, you know, a lot of the buildings are being bought up by private equity and the rents are becoming so insane that these little mom and pop shops are not able to survive. And I actually have a bill that I've introduced called the Small Business Rent Stabilization Act, which would allow for there to be some more conversation about what mom and pop isessays should be paying in rent, because I think they're a critical part of public safety. And I think this is a big part of why people end up shoplifting at these big stores because there's no relationships there, because they're not building relationships because they're not having employees anymore. They're having these automatics of checkout kind of story.
Speaker 2: But Emily, you have to, I'm going to give you a suggestion. O. My father owned the bodega. I'm a small business owner. I've worked very hard, you know, my entire life in New York City to get where I'm at today. But one of the things, and one of the reasons why rents are so high, and retail rents are high, is because of all the taxes that these buildings have to pay the city and the state and everyone else. So if the taxes were lowered, then the landlords wouldn't have to charge so much rent. See. So it's like, if I have a small building with five apartments, and my taxes are one hundred thousand dollars a year, that's what nine thousand dollars a month just in taxes for the building. That's before I start collecting rent from the four tenants that I have, Right, it's one hundred grand a year. So if I had if my rent, if my taxes were twenty five thousand, that means that the savings that I get there I can pass along to the tenants. So it's not as simple as saying, you know what, these funds buy these properties, these buildings and they're charging an arm and a leg. You've got to look at the reason why. Okay, if you have boilers, oil is going through the roof. Roofers cost a lot of money. Maintaining a building costs a lot of money, so all that has to be part of the rent. So if your total cost for that building is too undred thousand dollars a year, that means that every apartment their rent is going to be about four thousand dollars a year, just so that you can break even. So there's you know, as a legislator, I would love to for you to do an analysis where you really understand why the rent is so high. You know, I've asked Mayor Mondami, why don't you lower the rents, I mean the taxes, so that then the landlords could give credit for the taxes that you've lowered to the tenants. That's a lot easier than telling people rent control, which I'm sure he's going to lose in court because a lot of these I have building owners that say, Fernando, I'm breaking even at the end of the month. Now I'm going to lose money at the end of the month. Wealthy people can do right, can write off right, so they write it off in their taxes, it doesn't matter. But not the small mom and pop guy.
Speaker 3: Well, well, and the research for this bill, what we've really found is that a lot of these buildings have been overleveraged by international private equity, and so it's not even like a person that you know anymore that you're working with. And I've seen many small businesses that have come to me and said that they're having all of the property taxes passed on to them. So the goal of this bill is to actually have a discussion about it with all of the stakeholders. So there would be landlords involved, there would be small business owners involved, and there would be experts in things like you know, insurance, in like what the roofing would cost, all of that sort of thing, so we can have a conversation and we can make sure that small businesses are able to thrive, so that we have those community eyes on the ground, because I'm sure you've seen in some of these neighborhoods there's almost all vacant storefronts now and it's being told to us that this is because of shoplifting things like that. When there was a study done in twenty twenty three. What they found with Tart was that they actually were just leaving places where their sales weren't that high. I had nothing to do as shoplifting. And so I think that we're being told some things that just are not factually true. And it's really important to think about, like how an anecdote tells us what is possible, but data tells us what's probable. And that's why I really try to be a data driven legislator. I really try to get to the core of the issue, and I'm really looking for the answers that will allow people to have work, entrepreneurship, individual responsibility, and reward success, you know. But we have to do that without exploiting people. And I think that's really where where we're seeing a problem right now.
Speaker 2: Listen, representing bodega owners, I know the core of their problem. Yeare of their problems are high rent?
Speaker 3: Why exactly?
Speaker 2: But a lot of them own the properties they're in. So interesting, Yes, But what they're saying is the reason why we have to sell products at a certain price is because not only is our rent high, the taxes are extremely high. And I think that that's a city situation. If you want to create affordability. You have to look at how much are you taking, how much is the city?
Speaker 3: How much is that I'm going to bring it back to what you've been saying, because my belief is if we are taking taxes, they should be used in a way that is provably successful. And that is why I'm speaking out against using jail as an answer for when shops.
Speaker 2: I asked you that question, what kind of punishment?
Speaker 3: What I want to tell you is that one night, one night in Rikers is one year in Rikers for one person is five hundred thousand dollars of our tax payer money. I don't think that's right. I think we should be spending that on things that are proven successful, like housing. If we have paid for housing with that five hundred thousand dollars, we will get twenty people housed for the price of one person. And in jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, back in ninety and eighty nine, ninety ninety one, it was fifty eight thousand. I still remember the number because I went to Mayor Dinkins at the time and I said, you know what, I'm saving the city fifty eight thousand dollars per inmate. Huh, that doesn't come back to jail. But the truth theory is, listen, where do you draw the line. My bodegas are being loaded, Uh, small businesses are being loaded. They need to these people need to know that there's consequences. It's not just program that. It's not just go away.
Speaker 3: Right. So I think the program is one of these. There was a program that they did in a twenty twenty two study, uh, and they found a fifty three percent reduction in the likelihood of a new criminal complaint. And they actually found that the crime rate, crime rate went down and recidivism was only at four percent with this program. Right. So we can create programs like that, and I've been talking to the administration about that. We want to see different kinds of programs that have people come in and have classes, they do a needs assessment, they say like what are you needing? Like you can't pay for hygienic products with food stamps, Emily.
Speaker 2: We are running out of time. We would I'm going to have you back, But I just want you to know that as a legislator, do what other legislators don't do. Don't look at the rich and say, Okay, they have enough and they're charging more. Look at what they have, what the expenses are, and why they are charging what they're charging per apartment. So if you see a small building and you people are paying five thousand dollars of rent in your district, these are people that took that building, renovated the building, borrowed money to do that, so now they have to pay the bank off. Then the taxes on that building is extremely high, so you've got to look at and the oil is very high, and the maintenance of the building. Once you take all of the expenses, now you see what they're charging. If the landlord is making a ton of money on top of that, okay, you know what, come on, guys. But if they're just breaking even or making a little money, hey, you've got to you gotta look at it. You've got to look at their point of view as well. But it was really nice having you, Emily.
Speaker 3: Nice nice being here. You know, I'm a systems thinker, so I'm always looking at what is the best way that we can spend our money, and I think that you know, that is the kind of solutions that I'm trying to You will make so.
Speaker 2: Much sense when you go to Albany and you tell the governor and you tell you the legislators. Hey guys, let's not just fight for one sector. Let's look at both. Let's discuss, let's analyze, let's figure this out for the which is what I always say, Let's figure this out. Thank you, Ellie, you