Speaker 1: Welcome to the second ever episode of Super League three sixty.
Speaker 2: My name is Lee Addison.
Speaker 3: And my name is John Davidson or.
Speaker 1: Santa Claus looking at him today. Obviously Super League three sixty has a British rugby league focused mostly and more specifically Super League. But such is such is what happens in rugby league. John, We've got about eight thousand topics today, so we'll have to move quickly through this because whereas a couple of weeks ago rugby league was very good at manufacturing some news items, in the last couple of weeks happenstance seems to have influenced them a little bit more.
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, I agree, there's a lot going on about it.
Speaker 1: Like you know, we could end up in all sorts of directions today and in any other podcast. Sorry, I'm just fidgeting with my microphone. Yeah, that should be.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: No, this oblong thing.
Speaker 1: We'll still dedicate sometime each each session to the NRL. We're probably recording fortnightly until the World Cup challenge. John will get us some interviews, no doubt coming up soon. The intrepid journalist John, tell everybody who you.
Speaker 3: Are freelance Popular Jours and have paying for well at least fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Three years. Every time you say you come on.
Speaker 3: Writing for anybody who pays me, but often the Iye Paper, League Expressed, The Guardian, Everything, Rugby League forty twenty magazine and many others the years.
Speaker 1: If you're listening out there, just pay him, give him some work. In fact, your best your best ever, Your best ever quote was get get me in the eye on the Ashes Rugby League podcast where this is still being syndicated in the Rugby League Coach podcast. But if you are listening to this podcast on Ashage Rugby League or on Rugby League Coach Podcast, can I please encourage you to type in Super League three sixty on Spotify, Apple or wherever you get your pods, subscribe or follow super League three sixty because it means less work for me when when we just put this podcast out on the Super League three sixty thing, give me Bob. I'm an Englishman who's coached at n RL clubs and lived in Australia for a long time. Can get me at Rugby League Coach dot comver te you. I'm also the host of Rugby League Coach podcast. Email admin at Rugby League coach dot comver te you socials at Rugby League coach, I'm going astray.
Speaker 3: And who's lived in the UK for the last thirteen years. You can get me on x Johnny D Davidson on Facebook. John Davidson, journalist at Rugby League dot com long.
Speaker 2: Breeds straight into it.
Speaker 1: Then maybe an exclusive if Sean Wayne might not be the England coach next year.
Speaker 3: No, definitely not an exclusive that that seems to be the talk that maybe it's sort of seventy thirty looking like Way might be replaced. The RFL did a bit of a media bringing ear briefing earlier this week and the quotes coming out of it that they were still looking into it and Sean will have his chance to input the review. But yeah, there is a bit of chat that it's likely that he might be going, so we will and you know, potentially before the end of this year, so we shall see.
Speaker 2: Any replacement has been mooted.
Speaker 3: No, I've not heard any replacements. I mean, I think the usual names would would crop up. I mean, I think it probably depends on if they want to a coach who's not coaching a club, a head coach at the moment, or they want someone outside of that.
Speaker 2: But thick, yeah, tick tick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure, I'm sure there'd be no shortage of contenders. I think I think Michael Maguire ruled himself out a few weeks ago when he was down in London visiting the Lone Broncos and doing other things. But yeah, no names have cropped up.
Speaker 1: As Yeah, sure, it's not an exclusive John, I've not seen it anyway.
Speaker 3: I've seen it. Yeah, it was on a it was on another podcast. But yeah, as I said, it's not something that I've heard that's been confirmed or locked in.
Speaker 1: There's just a bit of chatter, okay, and it's the chatter normally reliable in your journalistic world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's come from a pretty reliable source. But like anything, I wouldn't unless I had stood up from numerous sources. I wouldn't be beating my life at this point because I would have if I was sure, I would have written it, and I haven't written it.
Speaker 1: So I think the most obvious place to start after that story is, since we last recorded, Salford Red Devils don't exist and Featherstone rovers are on the brink of not existing. If unless something's changed overnight, well, I've been asleep and North Wales Crusaders are rumored to have not paid their players for a while. So there's three professional clubs. As somebody said on ex that's ten percent of the professional clubs in England.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, first of all and acknowledgment that we are in a tough time for the sport to suppose.
Speaker 2: But this sulfur thing.
Speaker 1: Mate, you've you've written a big piece today actually as we record, which is Friday the twelfth of December in Australia and still the eleventh in England. You've wrote a huge piece with somebody who used to be a director.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've got a big piece with Paul King, who was effectively he was running a club after Marlon Kukosh walked away in twenty eighteen. Ran a club for about seven years as managing director and then CEO. He's a lifelong Saltford fan. And then he handed over the reins to the two New Zealand owners from Jacobson's, which is Sia Khalily and Curtis Brown in February, and then Chris Elmans made CEO and then Paul King came back in in June. So he's got a pretty good insight, I would say, and what's happened at Salford the history. And he's also he put personal guarantees on his house to get loans to cover some of the depths, to cover the payrolls, and yeah, he's head for bankruptcy now. So it's a pretty sad tale of what's happened to Paul. But it's a sad tale for the whole city of Saltford for one hundred and fifty two year old club for fans Selford like yourself ly, and there's lots of players and staff still load money, you know, who are probably unluckly to get it. So yeah, it's been a bit of a black eye for the sport. And yeah it's an important story. And I think, you know a lot of things that have gone on at Selford haven't been reported or come to light, and I think they need to.
Speaker 1: There's a few things that come to mind when this happens. So firstly, in terms of the up to date story, in essence, this is the start of a new Sulfur journey as opposed to the end of an old one, because in theory a Phoenix Club can emerge.
Speaker 2: In terms of.
Speaker 1: My worry is none of these seem to have the finances that a Marwan Kukash did have, So we could be going with much of the same with with balancing the books every every week, with not too much speculation to accume late and going on going on that term speculate to accumulate. I think looking at Salford's history over the last thirty years, that's where they've gone wrong. Over the last decade, they've and King referred to this in your article. He was always trying to balance between keeping his coach happy, aiming for trophies, etc. Versus keeping the club afloat place, basically, And I don't you know, no matter, I don't doubt mister King's integrity at all. There's no problems there right now. I don't have no reason to doubt his integraty. You know, there's two sides, three sides, ten sides to every story. But right now, don't doubt his integrity. But the reality is that it looks to me like Salford have perished because they've done too much speculation to accumul late when they couldn't afford it. I mean, a simple a simple business premise is if you spend more than you are bringing in, you are going to be heading south eventually. So under John Wilkinson's stewardship, maybe the two decades before Cuckash or if you like this, last fifteen years or so, the club used to yo yo between what we now know was the Championship and Super League and it was frustrating at the time, but you just knew the club was always going to be there and I think Salford fans would cut their right arm off to have that again. Quite frankly, yes, there were some great times in the sense that they got to the twenty nineteen Grand Final, they got to the twenty twenty Challenge Cup Final think it was, and it was the COVID one anyway, with no fans I think captain hindsight here, they obviously pushed too far. They obviously pushed too far. And people that's not mister King who I'm having a go out here, I have no doubt based on what information I've read and heard, that he's done what he thought was best. But there are also people who've clearly been involved in the club who don't necessarily have salted rugby league best interests at heart, who have tried to push the envelope to to get certain things out of their journey in life and in football, and they've pushed against the financial what's the term I'm looking for, where your prudency of the club, if you like. So, So look, I'm not saying anybody's done this on purpose, but that's clear what's happened to me in terms of the new ownership or now the old ownership. Trying to get a read on what they are doing to your average your average viewer and like myself and outsider, quite frankly, is like trying to work out how gravity was formed. Right, So, but I do have a little bit of inside information in the sense that there are allegations that it was all about the stadium, it was all about the land, it was about running the club down so that it wasn't worth very much, and so on and so forth. So look, nothing that I can really talk about with any authority. But there's no doubt that since that crew came on board to own the club this year, the football side of things has gone from bad to worse to even worse. So it's not been a good thing. It's quite frankly, an absolute mess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a mess. I think, I mean, I think I agree with a lot of the points you made there. In terms of Paul King, I think, you know, and people should go and read the piece that I've done. But you know he missed, mistakes were made. You know, in hindsight everyone's a genius. I think his intentions were good, but he was he was over ambitious. He thought, you know, the club was relying on grants from the council and loans which they provided before. He was relying on that which didn't happen. And obviously they had a model Salford and you'll notice league it's not a big fan base, and you could argue that the best place from the Salford area generally go to other clubs Asia, Marley to Leeds, Wigan, et cetera, et cetera, Australia exactly. But more recently, you know there've been a club where look if you've if you've run into some trouble. And I used a few examples on two high profile ones that they made money off or did well off, Jackson hay Things and Brady Croft. If you know you're out of favor in the NRL, you know, and they could get you on the cheap and you come over and you join sulf and you do well and you either get onsold to another club like Brady did the Leeds, or you get a better move, arguably to Wigan like Jackson did. So there was that sort of they were that kind of club and that they could take players who were you know, maybe project players they could development or you know, improve them and then sell them on and they did that with Tila Da prew they did it with Andy Akers don't means numerous players and you know, I think Paul says this in the piece. In hindsight he should have sold Callen Watkins and Mars Need last year, but you know that he was under pressure from the media, was under pressure from fans, the coaching staff. And I think you know that that you mentioned about Sulfur being a YAlO club and people would be happy to see that, and I'm sure they are. But in this world of sport they're in now, everyone wants more, don't they And those fans aren't content just to you know, well, not to compete, just to exist, and probably where Sulford are right now is in and I think there will be a new club, a new Salford, a Phoenix club, but probably where they will be next year is a part time championship team, much like Swinton, and how many people will go and watch them probably one thousand, you know, but that's probably the reality where they are. And it's also the reality of rugby league in England and that every super club, Super League club, even you know Wigan who gets seven ten thousand people each weeks then play. They're losing money and they're owned by a billionaire. So unless you have a very wealthy individual to cover your losses, you have to. Yeah, I mean essentially you're a part time club because there's not a lot of income, there's not a lot of revenue in the game. That's just the reality. You know, Ken Davey props up Huddersfield, Derek Bowmant props up Lee. You know, there's numerous samples across so there's a lot of tenants to what's happened at Salford, and you know you mentioned Featherston. Slightly different story there, but similar in a way. They massively overspent trying to get into Super League, you know, signing overseas players and wages they couldn't before. But the common threat I think with a lot of this and I'm not putting it all the blame on the RFL, but they don't government sport as well as they should. They don't take action. I think fence sitting organization is a great term to describe them. And the system's clearly broken because Cornwall went bust earlier this year as well. We've had Godell rl FC they went bust. I think it was in February March. I dont think they even started the league. One season we had West Wales was that last year, the year before, London Scholars, before that, Toronto and Bradford coming back in to Super Belague. But I went into administration three times between something like twenty ten and twenty eighteen. Toronto went, Crusaders went bast in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: You know it's not long list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not a new thing and the problem is I think that people don't learn from these things and it will probably happen again in not too distant future.
Speaker 1: Nigel Wood, who seems to be pulling the strings at the Rugby Football League at the moment, the RFL. His first response when asked this by a BBC journalist as well, look at what's happening across sport there and he referred to a couple of rugby union clubs. I think there's one soccer club in a little bit of drama too. I think just by listening to you there though, that's like saying, well, yes you've got a a frying pan that's on fire, but by houses on fire, but you're on fire as well.
Speaker 3: He's not wrong, you know, Berry and uh Worcester and rugby union and football clubs bus. But just because that's happening doesn't mean all everything's okay over here. Now you've got to look at how these things development and often the characters involved and the decisions are evolved, and also how the support really acts. And in terms of UK rugby League, people don't learn, they don't take the lessons, don't need the lessons.
Speaker 2: No, I mean this is tides of history. Where where's Broxton?
Speaker 1: The same things were happening in the seventies, you know, apparently I am G gradings have changed now. I AMG is a funny one, so for those who don't know, those who are listening from outside the world of Super League, I AMG is a world renowned international company in marketing and international development if you like, who got in cohoots with the Rugby Football League for twelve years? Was a deal ten years, yes, a decade anyway. And first of all, this is exactly what happened in the nineteen seventies with the Kane Report. Apparently what happened was mister Kane came up with a lot of recommendations for the game. The game chucked out two thirds, if not more, of them because we're rugby league. We don't need these things. And the game was on its ass then. So everything that's old is new again, and IMG the modern version, if you like, of the Cane the Cane Report, and same things have happened. People have been criticizing IMG left, right and center. Clubs have tried to force to get rid of them and whatnot. But what has happened recently, John is IMG have changed their gradings. So I think if you can explain what the gradings are, maybe explain what's changed as a result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean effectively the gratings. Each club in the pyramid system gets a score based on numerous criteria, which includes their on field performance, their off field performance, so their stadium, you know, their finances, their sort of social media, digital footprint. There's a lot of criteria there, but effectively grading is just a move to a licensing system. So promotion and relegation has always been in effect, mostly in UK rugby league, and this was a move back to licensing of a form, not straight licensing because there is still movement between the divisions, but a kind of licensing franchising system. Obviously, it's been very controversial to a lot of clubs because it can cost them a lot of money to improve their criteria, but also it's effectively been a kind of way you have to do this if you want to progress, because I would say ninety five percent of most clubs would rather spend if they're going to spare fifty grand, they're going to spend it on another prop or or a second role. They are going to spend it on another marketing person or their own budget or improving their facility. So this is kind of heaving forced or has made some clubs lift their games. So I think it has been positive, but there's also some of the greating criteria has been able to be exploded. You know, use the example and I won't name any particular clubs, but you get extra points for bringing in led boards to the stadiums. So what one club did is bring them in for the week before they came and visited the stadium, so they got the tick and then they got rid of them. So there's ways you can get around the criteria and I have clearly been manipulated by several clubs quite well.
Speaker 1: I'm a big believer that rugby league issues and sporting issues should be started out on the field of play, so promotion, relegation and whatnot. And I had to laugh when all this money that's been spent on IMG, all the money that was spent on the other independent commission that decided the extra teams that came into Super League. The actual teams that ended up in Super League were the top two and three from the championship.
Speaker 3: Anyway they they were, but just just one point therely, you know, would you like to see the Maitland Pamlin and can pick his play the Brisbane Broncos every week, would you like to see? They were? Really?
Speaker 1: Different country, different different country, different different different expectations.
Speaker 3: I think I think, I think promotion relegation and you can argue it works for football, you can argue it doesn't, but you look at the top league's NBA, NFL, NRL, IFL, A.
Speaker 1: Big one there the English Premier League, where there's a part play all the way from the ocion to the top division.
Speaker 3: There is and that's probably the most uneven and easy to pick because you have men City spending two hundred million quid on player salaries and you have the promoted team spending six hundred million.
Speaker 1: You know, generally, it's also Britain's biggest export and during the BXIC negotiation, Theresa May said we're going to stop, We're going to stop the European countries watching the Premier League. The Brexit deal would have been done in five minutes. And it's also the biggest, the biggest league on the planet. It is and it wasn't and it wasn't in nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: But you can't have a salary cap system and promotion relegation. I think that the two together you kind of have one, you know, one foot in, one foot out. I think I think that's one of the key issues.
Speaker 1: Let's look at this way, John, we have a salary cap in Super League, in rugby league, and yet still clubs are going bust. Yeah, what's the point of having a salary cap.
Speaker 3: Well, you can argue that get rid of the.
Speaker 2: Salary cap, maybe more clubs would go bust. I don't know, but yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think probably more would. But my point is I just the rugby league and for the amount of fans, dissiplanes and money in the game in the UK, I don't think promotion relegation works.
Speaker 1: What's interesting though, regardless of our opinions, we've had the licensing system in the past, scrapped it for promotion relegation, gone back to the license. It's the lack of long term thought is somewhat frustrating. Talking of clubs that go bust. London has been relaunched. I think I did a very quick look and I think this is the ninth reincarnation of London of rugby league in the professional rule league in London.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's they're notis, but I know they had Office Forum in nineteen eighty and then I think they were the London Chargers or the London Crusaders for a bit, and then they went to the Broncos, and then they were and they went back to the Bronco. They've had about fifteen different stadiums in London. Yeah, they have a lot of iterations tried.
Speaker 1: They've tried a lot, so they've relaunched or what's going to be different?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean we were remained to be seen what's it's going to be different, But the early times I think have been positive. Obviously Grant weissall a mining magnet from Australia, and Darren Lockyer are effectively the owners now they've seen well resourced. I mean Darren Lockyer, I don't know if you're going to pick a thirteen of the best players to ever play rugby league in the history of the sport, he probably makes it. I mean, depends where you're from and what you're a club. It doesn't necessarily mean he can run a club. But he's on the board of the Bronco and I think he's very well connected and has a better understanding of the sport than you know, some of the other people who've run London in the past. Look Richard Branston ran London Broadcos for a while. When a loss has started Mount RP he took a hike. I think it was because he sounded like the sport. You know, there's there's been lots of money pumped into London by different people. But you know, with the changes that they're making, bringing Jason Demetri, the signings that they've made, they're actually out there marketing, engaging. They've been They've been very good with the media, you know. I've done a couple of interviews, planning a few more. They're much more engaging with the media than the vast majority of social media, so than Super League clubs. So look, I think they're they're going to have a real go of it, and there's positive science, but it is the top market crack. I mean, if you look at what News Limited did with Melbourne Storm from nine nine until you know, more recently, I think there's about forty million quid they pumped in, you know, and they helped the storm out in different ways like super Legg's never done that with the landon Broncos and a lot of the clubs have been against them even existing. A lot of the fans don't want they don't want a landon.
Speaker 1: No people in Australia who are who are now getting involved and overthinking of getting involved, and obviously there's an undercurrent of physic NRL going to be involved in the Super LEU going on. They are you know, they're saying things in Australia now that we said in England thirty years ago, we need a presence in London. It's the obvious market, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. What people miss for me is nobody in London follows a soccer team called London or I know there are London Wasps or the were London Wasps.
Speaker 3: The land line in the basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean I mean London Lions. I mean they don't get forty thousand. So I would like to see London attached to a borough or a suburb. That's what I would prefer to see. I think it's a more chance of succeeding now. I also think in the nineteen eighties when this happened when they attached to Fulham Football Club, that if that was allowed to stick out, maybe or maybe it's a different club. Maybe it's maybe we need the fellow at Chelsea to take on a Chelsea rugby League team or something, you know, somebody with deep pockets literally that would be that would be the future of rugby league in London for me. Now, I'm going to keep going through the topics job because you know what you and highlight. We could debate something forever.
Speaker 2: What's this.
Speaker 1: National Conference League Rugby Football League thing. I've heard about this quite a bit. People have been quite ray texted me about it and stuff. They have really studied this, I must admit because of other stories, I've not chased it up a lot. But effectively, the National Conference League is kind of the elite amateur level, so it's below the League one and there's a lot of clubs in that division.
Speaker 3: Effectively, the RFL said to them, look, we want to regionalize it. We don't want a national we want to make it into specific regions. The clubs were not happy about this. I don't think they were consulted. The RFL is trying to kind of ram row it through, so there's been a lot of noses put out a join. I think the NCL is considering legal action, and yeah, it's very messy. I mean, if you add it up to all the other kind of crisises of the RFL Super League have been dealing with this year, it's just another add to the long list.
Speaker 1: Now, some people say, John, because we get accused of this with this is negative negative, you know, you're not allowed to say anything that's not warm and fuddy. I've got a new quote for your negativity is actually counter accountability.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 3: I'm just merely pointing out what's been happening, not being.
Speaker 1: So negative, John, And you be careful agreeing with me because somebody will tweet about it and associate with me as if you're in bed with me.
Speaker 3: To I need to point out to that tweeter that you know, you do talk a lot of ship and you know stupid things. But anyways, opposed.
Speaker 1: To you, Tony Sutton, the man who did a Google check to check that Salford's owners were good and we all know how that ended up, could be going toole f C.
Speaker 3: He is going to my exclusive confirm by the club the other day. Yeah. Effectively he was planted from the r FL and the sulfur debarcle I think was a big reason for that. He had an even lower media profile than Ralpha Reniger Wood, who were not you know, in the Peter of Landy scale of of me. So he was basically mister invisible. And he did work at holi C before as the finance director county background. So he's gone back to halt. I mean you could just say it's another example of English rugby leaver recycling the same faces as it always does.
Speaker 1: M let's talk a little bit of rugby league now as opposed to it's off field. Shenanigans a Frenchman whose name escapes me. And I'm only making making the fact norm that he was French because I thought it was a really good comment. I really agree with him. He said basically, the Rooks are too slow in Super League and there was too much wrestling.
Speaker 3: Wholes.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's a good fellow, Yeah, good coach. Yeah yeah Sylvan What did he say and what was he on about?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, Steve mathboots story. He was out in France and he interviewed Joel Tompkins at Catalans Sylvan and Toulouse and numerous other people, and effectively it was just I think the Ashes was a real wake up call for a lot of people, not only in the English game of Australia, because I think in Australia a lot of people see super leggs, this bath attacking. You know, defenses aren't great, but lots of attack and all this sort of thing. And then when it came to England against Australia. Actually actually they're quite slow. Yeah, they're not very dynamic and the NRAL has changed a lot, particularly with the six again rule, but in the last couple of years you could said the last five or six and the wrestle it's a lot more game built around speed around actually throwing the footy around and it's less grinding and kind of Melbourne style wrestler that we had ten years ago, fifteen years ago, eighteen years ago. But Super League is still sort of cut in that restal area. And that was basically what those two coaches were advocating. I know I'd spoken to Maddy Pete earlier in the year. He advocates the same thing. I spoke to Ryan Carr, who is the new coach at Castleford has just joined from the Saint George of Laworld Dragons where his assistant coach. He basically said the same thing to me. You know, a lot of you know, long time speed is a big thing, but a lot of clubs are just basically you know, the ten meters is more like nine or eight and a half. So I think effectively there is seems to be some acknowledgment across the competition that we need to speed the game up in Super League, we need to police the ruck better and if players are lying all over the ball, then panalize them and I'll quickly you know, and well, you know that will improve the product and you know will also help England compete better on the national stage.
Speaker 1: I remember thinking how slow the roough speed was in the Super League Grand Final, having what the NRL Grand Final the week before, so it was a very it was an Apple and an Apple comparison. That said, I've got an analysis of some of who KR's work at the end of this podcast and the videos already out on YouTube on the Rugby League Coach YouTube channel. I would say that looking at the Super League Grand Final, Jo k Are were a bit more obsessed with hitting. So I talk a lot about the contact line. So when the point when the attacker meets a defender, the literal point when they make connection, that's the contact line. And who k Are tended to tackle, put shoulders in and stop the wig and runners, whereas Wigan tended to go in to catch. They were open chested, arms wide And I once described this better than a about to describe it now, but I would describe it as like if you imagine three bouncers coming home, taking taking someboday home from a night club who's drunk, and then very carefully lying them down in bed so that they went to sleep without vomiting. That's how I would describe a lot of the wrestling that goes on in rugby league.
Speaker 2: And there's a there's.
Speaker 1: A clear clip on in the Super League Grand Final where very early on Wigan players came in very aggressively, came in very chesty, but actually took Gerard wo Ere, Hargreaves and other six meters towards their own try line. But Matty Pete and his coaches would have been happy because in theory the root would be controlled, whereas I don't see how you can have control if you're bringing a defense of further six meters back than they needed to go. That doesn't sound like control to me. I would rather stop the contact line, try and drive Some.
Speaker 3: Say that again, Yeah, I think I think it's the difference of I was going to say, I think it's probably the difference of whether you want to slow rock as the defending team or where you want to place them, and you know where you want to set I guess you know, there's different strategies and in trickeries and in that point.
Speaker 1: I mean either way. Either way, I don't want to encourage players to come towards my trial line. I don't want to encourage the opposition towards my trial line. That's the whole essence of the game is a territory game. So has there been a drawer come out in Super League since we last recorded?
Speaker 3: There has been yet. Fixtures have been released and Magic Weekends selling quite well. I think they've already sold ten thousand tickets and the tickets anyway on South today, so that's a.
Speaker 2: Good it's a good eleventh of December.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, Signings, any big signings in the last two weeks.
Speaker 3: There has been a couple uh named McDonald has gone to Saint Helens obviously. I think there was a bit of interest in London, particularly with Jason Demitri being the P and G coach, but he has gone through St Helens Eastern Marsters. There is another as for player who's gone to Bradford. It looks like Carl Lawton from North Queensland has got his release from there and he'll be going to WHOLEKR. So you know, a bit of utility value there can cover Hooker and Locke and second.
Speaker 1: Row graders from state corps coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there has been, Yeah, there's been. I'm sure. I think I can't remember the name, but there's there is someone going to New York and there was announced today. I think his name's Henry Okay, I've never heard of him, but he's all going to Toulouse, I think from the Rabbits, imagine the Rabbits and he's so Well's Cup team.
Speaker 1: And to be fair to York to lose and Bradford, they have not got much option apart from to go to the lower leagues in Australia because most players are signed up in places. So yeah, I mean that's what we shall maybe do is signed Kevin Simfield. He's still fit and I think it'd be wrong of us not to mention Kevin Simfield's efforts in the last week again running marathons.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean he's done an amazing job. It's kind of unbelievable what he's done raising money for him and d charities and research for what's five years, at least four years. I actually went saw him talking a special event with his mate Barry McDermott last year and yeah, it's amazing what he's, what he's done and how he pushes his body to do his limited caday. He's you know, he's a much bigger name and done a lot more good in his current guys as a as a charity fan raiser then than he did playing for Leeds in England.
Speaker 2: Because he coaches in rugby union, well he.
Speaker 3: Is the I think he's the skills coat or skills of kicking coach now for the England National Rubian and doing a good job. I think that wanceibly like eleven or twelve in a row.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very connected, don't you when you work in rugby union in certain places. Let's go to Australia. The classless society, not that there's no class, just that the class distinctions don't exist. Apparently, that's what I keep getting told talking of things that never changed. No crickets band on this podcast right now. West Tigers are imploding. England cricket team are imploding. But West Tigers are imploding too again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean to be fair and I don't want to be but to be fair of the England cricket team. They're not imploding every season West, they.
Speaker 1: Are to Australia and West poor West after play in Australia all the time, so.
Speaker 3: Well that it is a bit of poor West because you just I mean you kind of half laughed but half to shake your head, because they actually had a decent season is year, you know, I think they won nine games, they'd signed some really good players. They seemed to be turning the corner. Like I know, Shane Richardson, it can be, you know, he rubbed some people's noses out the wrong way, but I think he's proven as the CEO of what he did at South and Penrith.
Speaker 2: It was improving the club. It was improving, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was. I think he's a good administrator. And it's just more bullshit to do with Balmain v West, you know. And I should have finished in nine nine nine, like it's a joint venture. You really got to get over it. So I do feel storry. I feel sorry for the the West Tigers fans because I can remember I still remember the two thousand and five Grand Final. What a team, one of the best grown and I can remember, as you know, watching as a neutral. I actually watched it in Copenhagen, in a bar at about three in the morning. But the style of foody that that Benji, that Robbie Farrer, that Tim Sheen's team played and they were massive underdogs, you know, they were nowhere near the best team the comp. But they were so great to watch and it was a fairy tale they won. And they also I think it was two thousand and nine to two and eleven twelve they were in two of those years they were one went off for another Grand Final, you know when Gareth Ellis was playing for them, and Robbie Farrer and Benji and all those players, and they were just great to watch. And it's just all gone to ship for basically were more than a decade, more than a decade now twelve third years, so.
Speaker 2: It's gone too shit.
Speaker 3: What yeah, I mean I can say this as a mainly thing because we've basically been going to ship for about eight years now. But we have one, you know, a comp in every decade there is that.
Speaker 1: Talking of going to ship. Is the Golden Boot that's given out to the best international player of the year. Is the decision making for that going to ship? Because most people seem to think Dylan Brown and his performances for New Zealand were deserving of that award. Harry Grant was okay in the first test, okay in the se very good in the third.
Speaker 3: Nah I would say Harry Grant was good in the first, pretty average in the second, and very good in the third. But the player in the series went to kem Monster and I probably I would have probably had Angus Crichton and Hudson Young even arguably just slightly ahead of Harry Grave. But the thing about the Golden Boot was for decades it was the best player in the world in club and internationals, and then whatever it was four or five years ago, they changed it to internationals. In some years, you know, Australian New Zealand played no internationals. So I don't I don't see how you can pick the best player in the world each year on the back of three games or four games. I think it's absolute nonsense. Now I'm saying that Harry Grant had a great year. He won Origin for Queensland, he made the Grand Final with Melbourne. He was very good for Melbourne, and you know, I don't think he probably should have got it, but he was up there. I think probably Reyes Walsh or paying Hearth, even cam Munster probably, and you mentioned Dylan Brown. I know he was fantastic in New Zealand, but he was absolutely ship for Paramouna. So you look at the you look at the list of people who have won the Golden Boots. So you've got Wally Lewis, Gary Schofield, Cameron Smith, Andrew John's. You know, it was always off the back of the whole year, and I think that's just what we need to go back to because it's quite stude.
Speaker 2: But otherwise.
Speaker 1: Johnny's jab and Lee's laugh. Now Johnny's jab. You want to have a job at the journals? Trying to say that Pints wants to have a job at the journals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to change. I was going to change that mid mid No, okay, but I'll think that I just do to do two jobs. No, well, I can say the other one for next week because I'm sure it will pop up.
Speaker 2: But no, no, no, I'm so excited. Now.
Speaker 3: It's just just some interviews that you read or you listen to with whether it be players or whatever, and you just wonder where they're thinking. From the journalist is like the questions are just soft they don't ask what people really want to know. They just kind of skirt over things. And look, I'm not saying you have to, you know, be like a sledgehammer. Sometimes you have to be subtle and sometimes you have to deal with things delicately, but you can't just miss, you know, the truth or what people actually want to know. Like I think if you do that, you treat your readers or your listeners or whoever with contempt because you know they're not stupid. So I think, you know, I'm not talking anything specifically, whether it be a written article, podcast, the documentary, whatever, like you have to sort of approach with a bit of integrity and a bit of realism and a bit of perspective. And I think a lot of things these days you just read them or watch them, you just what was the person who made that thinking? And have they got any idea how that looks or sounds?
Speaker 1: I always say, John, one of the reasons I have had a good coaching career in Australia is because I was born and raised in England and a lot of the coaching and management ecosystem in England and in Europe influenced a lot of the way I coach and I came to Australia in my late twenties and brought that englishness with me. And so if you like part of big you know, if Lee Addison was coaching today, it'd be a big chunk Australian, a big chunk English, European kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: You're you're bringing an Australian childhood and young adulthood to your journalism approach because it's quite cut throat in Australia obviously, because there's there's more to go for in terms of news and reality. That said, even Australian journalists over here, because because their legacy media organizations are turning staff away, left, right and center and getting rid of staff and reducing their numbers, journalists over here seem to have become a lot more matey matey because they do need they do need the players that they're talking to, don't they. Or I remember talking to one journalist who used to be on crime and he said he quite often preferred doing crime because you could really rip into somebody who's just gone away for murder for thirty years, because you don't need them again. Whereas if I don't know Melbourne Storm players caught snorting cocaine. No offense to Melbourne. Well, you can't really go to town on that player because you're probably going to need them again in six weeks when they play Origin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just i'd add to what I was doing before. This isn't an Australia of England or I think you see it in media all over the world, and I think that's partly because of the way the media has changed and exposing the Internet and you know people, you know. Yeah, it's just more of a self respect integrity thing, Like you are right, you do have to be careful to us because you do have to deal with people. But also you have to, you know, do your job properly and you have to, you know, write the truth because I think reputation matters. And sometimes you sometimes you fall out with people you know that you're right about or you know, because you have to criticize them. But that's the that's the job, that's the profession. But nowadays it just seems to be a lot of are just soft. Oh yeah, we'll just you know, we'll we'll quote that, we won't ask any questions, we'll just present it, you know, as as the pure spin that it is, and it's just, yeah, it's very poor in my eyes. Maybe I'm maybe I'm just too old and traditional.
Speaker 2: Well also English.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm going to bring it back to the English Australian thing, English rugby league. Even twenty five years ago when I was a media manager, the journalists were very matey matey then with people because it's a small community and they were under pressure from their sports desks and if they didn't get decent content they were going to lose their jobs basically, And I think I call it a learned laziness. You just learned to survive even in the in the environment that you're in. You don't necessarily push the envelope. When you do push an envelope, you end up with some people falling out with you inevitably, you know, if you particularly if you start to write or think along some fault lines, and you're gonna have some people fall out with you. And some people just aren't willing to risk that, are they.
Speaker 3: I can't I can't remember the exact quote who said it, but I remember it from university or just after that was something like, you know, if if you know you're a someding that somewhere somewhere some that someone somewhere doesn't like then you know, otherwise it's just advertising.
Speaker 1: So you know, negativity is really accountability, John.
Speaker 3: There's not anything about negativity, you know. It's like with the just alfered expos that I've been working. It's not about negativity. It's just trying to get to the truth in the bottom of what's happening.
Speaker 2: It's not accountability.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's accountability. And it's not about you know, hit pieces or trying is playing anyone. It's just to actually do report what's truthfully what's happened, because people deserve to know.
Speaker 1: Now, Lee's laugh, they've actually got two, so you're allowed. The second one this week.
Speaker 3: Is the first one bass ball, your first laugh.
Speaker 1: It's linked to bassball, So go on, what have you got your second job? Are you going to save it? I'm too excited.
Speaker 3: I all right.
Speaker 2: Lee's laugh.
Speaker 1: Have got to this week and because the cricket is on.
Speaker 3: All right, you're also to share a cricket.
Speaker 1: You know what gets me about you was you're an arrogant set of bastards because you've got short memories too, right, what was the score in the last Ashes series after to Rember.
Speaker 3: I remember, yeah right, Why not? Well, a number of reasons, mostly we're playing in Australia. Secondly, the captain's coming back.
Speaker 1: Thirdly, the captain is the worst captain than the standing captain. You mean that one the thing?
Speaker 3: We really need to stop this because we can't say a way cricket. But an English person talking about Australia against when the England team were coming in, saying this is the worst Australian team in fifteen years.
Speaker 2: And it's the worst Australian cricket team in fifteen years.
Speaker 3: What does that say about your team and your cat?
Speaker 1: There's plenty, but we've not got time to discuss it now because the cricket is on. It brings me to David Boone and his achievements on the plane fifty two cans of beer apparently flying Australia to England. I'm sorry to burst another Australian bubble, but I actually know for a fact that that record was broken not long after it except it was never recognized in the Guinness Book of Records. It was broken by a formal Wigan player called Neil Cowie, who had fifty eight cans coming back from the Brisbane Broncos versus Wigan World Club Challenge match in nineteen ninety four. Martin Hall, the old hooker for Wigan, also had a crack at it and apparently pissed his pants after forty odd bits. So so they had a real good crack at that. So yeah, so that brings me to that's my first laugh and it's it's it's broad to house a laughing you. So that's where the second one is this cross colde bollocks, So the cross code game.
Speaker 3: So that's my exclusive on the on the back page the other week. Let's let's be careful here.
Speaker 1: Well your article wasn't bollocks but the cross cold thing. You can be careful, you don't. You don't run me john, as I tried to say to old mate on the x cross cold thing. So, having been beaten off Australia's thirdeen, the Rugby League is now entertaining the idea of playing a circus match against the English rub union team.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Well, effectively there's Australian company that's been trying to it's had it's held a few hybrid games with what would you call, I guess second grade teams in Australia and schoolboy teams and they've putting an offer to the RFL saying I think it was one point five million pounds. You know, would you be interested in playing a hybrid game against the England rugby union team. Yeah, that's the But I think I think what you're probably forgetting Lee is we are in this world. And I'm not saying necessarily I agree with it, but we are in this world where Jake Paul can fight a former heavyweight champion of the world in boxing. It's kind of like me getting you know, twelve blokes from down the road to go and play against the Bristo Bronco. You know, we were in this mad circus world of the influences and you know, you know, content creators of football getting you know, putting on panels on Sky along with Premier League legends like the what the Horse has bolted a long time ago? And I think this is you know, related to that.
Speaker 2: It still bollocks.
Speaker 1: Media Watch, Media Watch. I'm giving you the award this week. The article about Chris Irwin and the counter claims from Curtis and whoever who ran Salford into the ground, and then of course the thing that you've dropped today, so you get the award this week, John talk to us about we've mentioned the article with mister King. Talk about the article mister Irwin about a week ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess the talk connected effectively. It was an interesting one one I boasted last Friday. People can can go and read it.
Speaker 2: It's free read John Stoff pay him.
Speaker 3: One of this one doesn't cost anything. So Chris Irwin was made when the new owners came in in February. He then I'm self for sorry, Yes he was. Then he then resigned or it was announced he resigned in May, and I remember hearing at that time it was related to that he didn't actually resigned, he was sacked. And then it was related to off field behavior with allegations around alcohol use at Super Higue games. Now i'd heard that from a few people, but obviously they're quite big allegations that I couldn't stand up, and you've got to be careful as a journalist. You can't just someone told you. You can't just write it. I though some people think that's what we do. And then more recently I was leaked some documents which confirmed the action that the club took at that period and which I ran, which a few fans accused me because obviously Chris Erwin is involved in one of the bids set up a new soccer club. I was it was suggested that this was just done to damage his bid, but there was nothing to be honest of the kind. You know, whoever takes over Sulford. I ain't influencing that, and you know it's not got anything to do with me. I'm just literally reporting a very interesting thorian and I think an important story because it is related to the whole mess of what's happened at Soulford in the last year and the people involved. So yeah, I mean, it's the kind of thing that if it happened in the NRL, and you could you know, I don't, I've not read all these stories, but you know what's happened with Shane Richardson about investigation. Yeah, if it happened the NRL, it would be you know, a backpage in the Telly L three sixty whatever. But in Super League, because there's so few media outlets that just kind of get signored or no, they should come.
Speaker 1: Back as a soul for Tigers because there's so many similarities and what we made me think of. There was the league that came out this week that the West Tigers chairman of the Holden Barns group or whatever it is, followed two hundred girls in bikinis on Instagram like as if that's as if that's a crime.
Speaker 3: I'll give you, I'll give you, I'll give you a little exclusive el. So it's my understanding that last year, I believe it was last year two former heavyweights for West Tigers who were kicked out in terms of the former CEO Justin Pasco and a former chairman accout his lasting but Lee.
Speaker 2: Palace Lee, Yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Lawyer with the Yeah, they were actually I think they were interested in in investing in Salford briefly. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you want to sponsor this podcast, the Rugby League Coach sponsor Rugbyley Coach podcast is sponsored by Global League Network for all the Water I drink, so we have water and drinking vessel sponsorship opportunities.
Speaker 2: But also podcasts.
Speaker 1: We can even have Johnny's job sponsored by Sulford Tigers or whatever it may be. If you're interested, please get in touch at Rugby League Coach for me Admin at Rugby League Coach dot com to I you as the email Johnny goes through your contact details again.
Speaker 3: I think hopefully we can get Cleanex as a supporter because after the rugby league ashes and the cricket ashes, you're you'll be needing.
Speaker 2: It, but you'll need to CLEANX.
Speaker 1: You'll need the cleanex for something else that you'll be in all the time at the moment.
Speaker 3: Get me on Exit Johnny Davidson, and you can get me on Facebook journalist and also on patre league hub dot com. Thank you.
Speaker 1: So, as we did in the last podcast, I'm going to tag on my analysis of whatever I decided to analyze at the end of this podcast. Now it will be an audio thing, but also a video thing on YouTube, So if you're listening on Apple or Spotify or any of those, the analysis segment is on its own on YouTube, and Super League three sixty will also be on its own on YouTube. So basically, I'm having a deep look into okay are johns as. One of the things I noticed was about the tackle technique. I've not gone into that in this in this video, but what I did notice is in the two big games of the year, the Chance Cup Final and the Super League Grand Final. Okay I started the game very nervously and very poorly. If if the rugby league gods were thinking differently, Wigan would have been ten mil twelve Noil up in that Grand Final quite easily. And ok I made seven bit quite seven errors in the first ten minutes basically so the Super League Grandfather the Super League Grand Final they managed to get over the top Challenge Cup Final they started quite poorly too, and if you remember, there was a lot of conjecture about the try that separated the two teams. I think ok I played quite nervously in that game.
Speaker 3: I was out the game, it was pissing down with rain and okay I was very very lucky to win that game. Warrington with a better team for ninety nine point nine percent of it, but the Warranton winger spilled the ball right at the end and I got the win.
Speaker 1: So I'm arguing in this video that if they don't sort this out in the first ten minutes, then they could be twelve or eighteen nail down to the Brisbane Broncos, who were a fantastic attacking side. They do Bristo b those to have witnesses in defense. But I'll be unpacking this over the coming week, so if you're listening, I hope you can get something out of this, but don't forget. You can get the full clip on the Rugby League Coach YouTube channel and we'll see you in the fortnite just before Christmas.
Speaker 2: We'll maybe have our Christmas hats on.
Speaker 1: That's good today, nothing else, just our Christmas hats. We'll have our jingle balls out, all right, enjoy the analysis, see you later. The Brisbane Broncos travel to Hull in the UK in February twenty twenty six to contest the World Club Challenge against Hulkingston Rovers normally known as h k ARE, the British Rugby League champions. Over the next few weeks, I'll be analyzing everything that who k Are will bring to fight against Brisbane on that day. My name's Lee Addison. I'm the owner of Rugby League Coach. Welcome to all those listening and watching on the Super League three sixty podcasts and also the Rugby League Coach podcast. Every team has phases junger game when they get nervous, but uk are tend to do this at the start of their big games. So their two biggest games last year with a Challenge Cup Final in the middle of the year and the Super League Grand Final at the end of the year, both which they won quite well. Now this has to change if they're going to beat the Brisbane Broncos, because the Prison Broncos are going to come to England prepared. Mage maguire definitely wants his team to win this title, so it's going to be onl Like Donkey kongin Hull. Let's have a look what HOKR might bring in the opening of this big game. Let me share mascreen before we look at the screen recording of Hunkingston Rovers or ho k Are in the Super League Grand Final. Please allow me to tell you about the Coach Mentor Program that I am at Rugby League Coach dot com dot a U run. I've coached at an ROL club, World Cups and elite high schools in Australia, amongst many other things, and I like to pass on my experiences to coaches coming through the program themselves. The Coach Mentor Program twenty twenty six is our fourth year of it. We've had eight Grand Final wins, eleven teams were competition runners up, ninety two percent of our teams finished in the top four, but every single team improved. If you're an individual coach or a club looking for something better for your coaches, now is the time to get in touch. Please go to Rugby League Coach dot combat au. If you're just interested in accessing some online programs, please go to Rugby League Coach dot COMBA tear you Forward Slash shop to see the different options there for monthly, yearly and lifetime plans with no luck in contracts. This is ho k Are in the red and white, playing against Wigan in the Super League Grand Final of twenty twenty five. This is the first kickoff. What you will notice about who k Are is they do wrap across the field when they carry the ball forward. What I mean by that is instead of going directly down a channel, they are going to work across the field from touch line to touch line if you like, or scrum line to scrum line. What we've just seen there is a block play or an X so they didn't just send in a forward straight away or an outside back in straight away with no support already. They've done a block play and a face ball, which is a ball that goes in front of an attacker, a dummy running attacker. This is the most conventional hit up they've done on their fourth player. I think this is They then bring the ball back to the middle and we should soon see a kick. You will find a problem in Super League that the markers aren't off and square. Now here's our first problem with Ho k Are. Like I said, markers are very rarely square in the Super League. It's just something that's been allowed to slip into the officiating at super league level in England. I've been noticing this for years. However, KR did not have good kick protection for their left footed kicker. Here. As you can see, nobody is protecting Mikey Lewis who's received the ball. Now he's received the ball from his right so he has to transfer it over to his left foot and the kick is charged down, which is a really poor start for Hu k Are. These are basics and they should always be dealt with early in a game. Luckily, for who k Are they get the ball back. There's the block play. Again, it could have been so different. So there's the first warning sign for whole k Are. They very similar set to the last one that we saw. They are moving the ball across the field. Gradually there's another block play there. So block play looks like an X to the football educated viewer in that regard, and this is designed. This whole set construction is designed to work the wig and forwards over. So in this collision there may have been a penalty in there, but ultimately there wasn't. There may have been hands on the ball, but poor ball carriage from the whole KR forward so we're gonna have their opportunity hook Are survive. That was actually a forward pass quite frankly, and it didn't get noticed. So there's three errors already in the first few minutes of the game. K Are dealt with what we're going through at them and they've got the ball again for the next set, again working over the middle of the field. They've identified that Wigan might be paul laterally in the middle of the field. I don't know if this will necessarily work against Brisbane Broncos, who have quite a mobile pack, with the exception maybe paying pass defensively. That was an OK set from Hoo k Are. Then the next set they were asked to come out from their own end physically manhandled on the kick return. You need to expect that in big games, defenses are going to be tough. A block play again, so you can't tell me that the Wigan defense isn't starting to read this now, So they probably need some more variety on that first play. They can't do the block play all the time, but here's some variety. Now they go back down the short side on the next players. The TV replay was being shown at the bottom of the screen. Huo kr lost the ball again, so we're still with it. In the first ten minutes of this game, ho k Are have made what I see as four errors. One of them didn't get noticed, which was a forward pass. So now we go to some Wigan possession. So they've been building pressure in this game. Now the who k Are defense deals with this relatively well. I want you to look at the right center's defense, who does quite well in difficult circumstances. In this next few sets, huk Are put a lot of emphasis on being aggressive in defense, so they get up very quickly. It's not a straight line, so there are opportunities for attacks. Wi can take the ball to the middle. Their collisions are quite good. They do kill the contact line so they can stop the runners quite abruptly, but I think you'll agree with me that that defensive line is fast, not necessarily a straight line, but that can be worked with. What I do have concerns about is the is the defensive spreads on the edges if Wigan wanted to have an opportunity to pop into there, And of course we're thinking in terms of what Brisbane Broncos might do too and what they might bring. Now this is going to be interesting because now Bevin French for Wigan is getting involved and they shift the ball. I want you to watch the right center of whole KR. He comes out and you can almost see here on this clip that we've got a jagged defensive line and he's starting to crouch in his defensive position. What he does really well, oh here is back pedals. And you're quite often hear commentators criticize defenses for being passive. But the whole K right center here readjusts it was amazing athleticism and he manages to save the day just but it was absolutely amazing from that whole KR center there. I'm going to take you through that again because the camera doesn't zoom in on the right center for whole KR on the top of the screen. As you look second defender down, I want you to watch how he defends here. So he moves up, he moves up, and then he sits and he holds, and then he retreats. And then as he's retreating he then readjusts and comes forward again. That's amazing athleticism and well readjusted. So Wigan are on the charge here. Now this is another warning shop for hule k Are because their line speed is so big. It does put Wigan under some pressure and if they do this to Brisbane, Brisbane will have good instincts because of the way they've played football in this last year. Now Wigan turned to the kick and from that kick it's Wigan who bat the ball down, not who k Are. So again another warning sign. Wigan get possession and you'd think there'd be a try here, wouldn't you. So this is the fifth error in terms of hu k Are. But luckily for them, Farrell of Wigan drops his lollies and there's no try. The kick the attacking kick not fielded well. And then Jared Ruira Hargreaves, who are no will not be playing against Brisbane, just did a shoulder charge there as he comes in to target the ball, so the referee gives a penalty. So ooky, I've just given away a penalty. So that's another error to add to the list. Another piggyback if you like. So ok Are the league leaders were favorites for this game. Oh sorry, I think weign were actually, but I think ok Are really tanted their chances. We've got to kick through here and ok I retrieve it and return the ball physically manhandled and the ball gets lost another era from hook Are. This is all in the first ten minutes of the game. And if they start like this against Brisbane Broncos, who are going to come to Australia prepared, sorry, come from Australia prepared, then it's going to be a tough afternoon. They could find themselves twelve or eighteen points down very early because of the attacking prowess in the Broncos outfit. So we can have yet another set. They've dominated field position in this game. Admittedly I've not shown you all the game. I've just taken the key moments. I just need you to trust me that this is how the game panned out. The Wigan attack isn't fantastic and isn't necessarily exploiting all the opportunities it has. However, Bevern French is putting on some footwork and who kr are trying to react to that because they're aggressive. They are sometimes leaving their defensive line duties and flying out and hoping to settle the score with physicality. The kit goes through Bevern French, you think will surely score this and he actually didn't put the ball down. We now go to the Challenge Cup finals. So this is the knockout competition in England and this is the start of the Challenge Cup Final where many viewers and observers felt that Ho k Are were lucky to win with a controversial try at the end. Remember I talked to you about who k are wrapping their sets across the field when they start and something else I want to look at too. Have you noticed how often some of the runners from jo k Are that to returning the football get manhandled. So Broncos have a great chance to do this if they kick well, which I'm sure they will. So remember last time uk Are started with a block play. They've just done that again and they worked across the field against Wigan. Well now they're playing against Warrington block play faceball, it's exactly the same. So Brisbane can prepare for this, I think, and they can defend it accordingly. The benefits of moving a defense across like this is that you're moving defenders up across and back and if you were to attack back at them in theory, some of them might not defend the football very well, but there's opportunities glore if you know what's coming each week and in the big games. Hulk Are have come up with the same strategy of exit at the start of both games. And then the Mikey Lewis left foot kick. We're now going to see hu k Are returning the football and again great kickchase that puts pressure on the full back and hook are are now carrying the ball back out. This was a game they only won eight to six from memory, and they are getting physically manhandled at the start of it, and I think this is a It is something that Brisbane Broncos might pursue. A little bit later in the game, Jared Wiger had where here a Hargreaves with a head high shot. Now again I know he won't be playing, but again, why was this not dealt with why why was this still in his game at this point of the season. A bit later, u k Are trying to shift the ball a lucky to get away with that one which looked like a knock on. So there's definitely problems the way hu k R start these big games. Kickchase led to a penalty for a head high shot. Again, their physical defensive style doesn't leave much room for error and it can cause penalties. There's this Markers not being square again, a kick through from the Warrington half and k Are have to return the kick.
Speaker 2: These are all very early in the.
Speaker 1: Game and once again a player man handled the ball comes loose. So I think you'll notice there that hulk Are looked a little bit rusty, quite frankly at the start of both of those games. And there are many things that influence a game of rugby league, and quite often the first ten minutes can be a huge, huge barometer. And of course Jared were Hargreaves, who played so well in the Super Leader Grand Final, won't be there this time. So things that Willie Peters, coach of huk Are, has to address before the World Club Challenge game keep in touch. Every week there will be video analysis each week to help you through the Christmas break.
Speaker 2: Take care