Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show.
Speaker 3: Idiots, the kids are playing or turn off.
Speaker 1: The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 4: Gold Play inter murals, Brother, gold Play inter Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, let's get it started. Welcome in Happy hump Day. That is Coffee and Company, fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: That's me the company man, mister John all On alongside today. I say today is if like it's a it's a rare thing. It's every day's Coffee and Company with myself, Nick Coffee and the company man.
Speaker 2: You know the drill.
Speaker 3: Can I say something I've always wondered, say whatever you want? I've always wondered why you say today, because I don't usually say that.
Speaker 2: I feel like you always.
Speaker 4: I say today for the show specifically, I don't know that I've ever once.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 4: That's why I got kind of caught in my tracks there, threw me off. I threw myself off because I don't feel like I usually mentioned that, like and today we have the company man, mister John Alden, because again it's it's not I mean, it's mostly every day he does get vacation, we do allow him to take time off. And you know, he should take time off whenever. It's whenever, you know, whenever he wants to. But yes, today, tomorrow, to my knowledge, the next day it'll be it'll be a foreseeable future, exactly exactly. So again we were at you for the next three hours, taking you up until six o'clock. It'll be a really busy show. Today we have a rare Wednesday edition of the show where we will have not one, not two, but three guests joining us, which that's not a bad thing. In fact, I'm excited to have all of these guests on the show, or I wouldn't have them on the show.
Speaker 2: That's kind of how it works.
Speaker 4: I have a say so when it comes to who is actually going to join us, and we'll lay out the entire show in just a moment. But now, once again throwing myself off to start the show, there are like national hosts don't get a say so in a guest. And I shouldn't say don't get to say so, because they probably do. But there are, maybe there were, maybe there isn't anymore, just because of the ever changing landscape here that is the radio platform, But there was, I mean in the national level, which again we're not that. I mean, I'd like to think we reach people all across the globe, but you know, and and we do to an extent, but this is certainly not a nationally syndicated show. I mean, although it kind of is when it comes to streaming, because you know, you can listen anywhere. But what I'm getting at is I would not do well with the producer that like their boss, which of course is not me, they were in charge of like getting a guest and guesting up going heavy. And I know you've you've produced any shows over the years, including this one, have you been like in charge of getting guests before? For a host, I've been semi in charge. I had a big contact list of a former host that I used to work with in the mornings, and there were times if we were short on guests for a specific day, I may go down the list and reach out to a couple of people that may be interested in talking about what he was planning on talking about for that day. And that would be the extent of what I would do in regards to scheduling, see and that would you know that makes sense, And I know that if I ever asked you, In fact, you've gotten us a guest or two before. It's just I never really throw it throw it your way because I've I always feel as if you're gonna have a guest on just to fill time and just because you feel like it's what you're supposed to do. I mean, everybody's different as far as their preferences as a listener and their preferences as a host. But I'll put it this way. This is the nicest way to say it without sounding, you know, arrogant. I'm not good at having conversations on this platform with people that I genuinely don't have a lot of interest in what they're saying, if that makes sense. Now, sometimes it's just a conversation. They're a regular guests that join us that like, I feel like I'm just talking to my buddy, And you guys probably feel like when you listen to him every week, it's the same thing. Maybe not to the extent because you're not conversing with them, you're just listening, but like, you know what you're getting when we bring in Kendrick Haskins, Kent Spencer, Zach Barnett, doctor Benn's, doctor McElroy, so Alex Kupper, so you know, you you know, those are guests that are regulars for the most part. But if I just had John come in and say, here's who I've got today. We're gonna bring in you know, Joe something something and he's gonna tell us about the legal battle between a the ACC and Clemson in Florida State. He's a legal expert, and here's who he like. That might not even be a bad interview. I just don't know if I would be the best at that, and it wouldn't be fun to me. So you know, there's different ways to do it. But I know, you know, there are people who now host that I've networked with over the years, not in this market but elsewhere that before they got a chance to host, they worked as a producer for a long time and it was just clear, Hey, every day they need to bring five guests on a three hour show, and they've got to be the one reaching out, they've got to be the one coordinating it. And uh, you know everybody's different, right, everybody's different. I just you know, I I'm a control freak. That's honestly the best way to say it. I'm a control freak. So, like, what am I gonna do, John, if I ever get a different gig, if I ever move on and like I have, like I'm like part of a three man show where there's not really one host, it's just three.
Speaker 3: That maybe I could see that being a very big adjustment. Oh my god, I don't. I mean, I think the biggest example of that too, is when you guested on Billy Rutledge's KSR pre show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just a couple of months and I turned it into my show. I mean, And it's not like, it's not intention, it's just literally I've I've never and it's not again, I am a control freak. But I can just tell you straight up, the reason that I have been on radio, for gosh, it's it's over ten years now. In some former fashion, I've been with iHeart coming up on nine years. But the majority, I mean, every time I've been on the Radio rather be here. In the three different slots that I've had or the other stations that I've worked for, it's been just because they can't just go out and hire somebody. They don't have the funds to do that, or they're not going to make that investment. So that's when it hit me when I got the job here and I made this sort of my you know, this my full time job. This is what I do, it's my livelihood. I left my other career that I that I had been in for you know, a little while there, I mean about ten years honestly, and I was so excited and just completely you know, in shock that I was going to be able to, you know, have this opportunity. It never really hit me until week of I'm like, oh yeah, I'm by myself. I got three hours I got to fill and you get you know, I can now do that and not a whole lot of trouble for me to fill the time. Hopefully each time I do that, it's somewhat entertaining for you guys listening. But anyways, we have three guests today and I'll tell you those guests are in just a moment, but I do want to start with this because I've got I've made an observation of the last few days, and it's it's anytime I'm on the road now, it's consuming me to look for these converted businesses. And what I'm getting at is we were leaving lunch on Sunday, my wife and I went and the kids. Of course, we went and watched some football on Sunday afternoon at a great establishment over in Middletown. And on our way out, right before we hit what is that? You can't think of what that road is?
Speaker 2: Is it Shelbyville Road? I think it's shelby Ville.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm not the most familiar with that area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And.
Speaker 4: I noticed there was what clearly used to be a bank, Like you can tell that that that that was a bank. And they've got, you know, the drive through and you know you can tell it's not a drive through for a pharmacy. It's not a drive through for a restaurant. It's a drive through it that you see at a bank. They're pretty, they're pretty, they stand out like it's pretty pretty clear when you see that's what it is. They've got those funnels. You know, they're not sending funnels to you when you go to the McDonald's drive through and now they sell mattresses, and you know, I'm sure it's a nice I mean it's it's in a good area, a lot of traffic, a lot of people. It's actually connected to a shopping center, and I'm sure it's spacious. But I just, you know, I'm thinking to myself, you're not fooling me. He used to be a bank. Now you think you can just sell me a matt No, this is fraud. I mean it's not really. And I'm just thinking, like, you know, why why not? Why not go get a different location, Like wouldn't you wouldn't you feel better off kind of being it. It's one thing like if I walk into John's home, I'm not gonna think, hmm, I wonder who used to live here. It's John's home. He's got you know, it's quite clear that it's his home. He's got pictures of his family hanging up, you know, probably wedding pictures on the wall, him and his lovely bride. He might even have a picture of me on the wall.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: If he did, I would be honored. If he wants one, I'll get him one. Just throwing that out there if you want, if you want, maybe a headshot me when you know, maybe in the living room.
Speaker 3: Maybe afiguring my home studio, save a spot, keep me, keep me in mind.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've got a no joke. I've got a picture of Tony Venetti hanging in my basement Benetti's Louisville. So I don't know why it did. It doesn't really bother me. But if it was me, I would want to be my own brand. And yeah, you can redo it, but you're not fooling anybody that used to be a bank. So like going back to the example, if I walk into John's house, he's got pictures of the previous owners. I mean, maybe that's not the I mean it clearly, it's not a great comparison. But now when I'm driving around Louisville, which today and even Monday yesterday, not as much. I mean, I'm doing a lot of driving, a lot of running errands, just you know, I'm moving and shaking, and I'm now looking like, hey, that's that's now a you know, pay advance loan play. But you're not fooling me that used to be a KFC. I can tell like you can paint it. You can make some adjustments. You can you know, clearly rebrand. But like there are certain businesses and really chain restaurants. Like I went into a deep dive on the internet earlier today. I was in the waiting room at the doctor and I just thought, you know what, like, I'm gonna look this up because now anywhere anytime I'm on Preston Highway, Shelbyville Road, outer loop, just making a place as I've been.
Speaker 2: Recently Bartstown Road.
Speaker 3: You mentioned KFC, Yeah, Barchtown or KFC that used to be or is now a home run Burger.
Speaker 4: Or yeah, Like there's like a national tax plague. We went to do our taxes last year and we actually walked in and walked right out pretty quickly. I'm quite sure that the lady that was there to prepare our taxes was on probably methinfeta me to be honest with you, But we walked in, walked out. But I walked in to get my taxes done. It's nice in there. It's set up with like, you know, different stations for the accountants to work with people to do their taxes. But I'm sitting here thinking, nope, no, I know I'm in a Long John silvers, like, you're not bowling me. I could still smell it, by the way, McDonald, Long John silver smells delicious. So I just if you were somebody that was going to start a business and you needed retail space, rather it be in a shopping center and you could hide those a little bit better. But the if, the if the shopping center was built and you know, the far right tenant has that big I mean, they clearly put the they clearly put the drive through in place for the bank specifically, and now the bank's not there. They're slinging mattresses out of it. And I'm like, okay, you know, what are you gonna do with your drive through?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: And then when I went on my deep dive on the internet, I found a Reddit thread that really really fascinated me because there are a lot of national chain restaurants mostly, but there's also other places that like like, for example, if you go and look at any enterprise rental like car rental place that has been put up in like the last I don't know, five six years, they all look exactly the same. So just like the example I'm gonna use here for food back in the day when they would throw pizza huts up, when pizza huts became a big thing. They all looked the same. They all had that same roof on it, right, it was a hut. So I know, buddy, I don't know exactly. I'm not super well versed in his industry and what he does, but he is a project manager for a construction company that you know. They they got the bid to put in like all of the Drake Drake's restaurants, which by the way, they're popping up here in the area and they're expanding everywhere, I think, but they're all constructed and built to kind of be the same, even here at our Heart, Like we all don't have the same exact space. But every studio that you know that is relatively new, and I think we were one of the last to get in a new place, I believe, within the iHeart world. And if you walk into a lot of them again when you first walk in, I mean, they're not they're not all the same. It's different retail spots, I mean, but when you get into a studio, they all look the same, like all of them, they're all designed the same way.
Speaker 2: But the thread I found on Reddit.
Speaker 4: That was fascinating is all the things that pizza huts used to be that are now different businesses, and like, that's water interesting. That's one you can't hide because the hut, right the red roof. Yeah, I mean there's strip clubs in Illinois. You could tell he used to be a pizza hut. Maybe somebody who's like, hey, you know what if pizza hut's closing down, I guess I'll throw on a bikini and dance. I got to make a living, don't you know. It's the only it's a business near town.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's also like a law firm that used to be a pizza hut that looks official. But again, you're not fool with anybody. And I go and again this just speaks to my mind, probably not being you know, a high performance brain, but like I've just been when I'm driving now, that's all I'm looking for is different businesses to see if like I can tell, okay, I know what that used to be.
Speaker 3: I know what that used to be. I know there's a bar on Bardstown Road. I believe it's Bartstown Road. Maybe it's Baxter Avenue, but it's in that area that used to be a church. Oh yeah, a grail or something like that.
Speaker 4: No, no, you're talking about the old church that's now like a barbecue place.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that place is super cool looking. And I actually think that that's a little different because that's like where you're taking something that is a really cool old, you know, probably like historic thing and turning in into something cool. Like I've seen hotels kind of be converted for well, things that were old buildings that were converted into old you know, hotels. I think that looks kind of cool. I guess more than anything, I'm thinking of like retail places, national chains that you know, when they started popping up, when they hit their boom and business was going really really well, they just started popping up, and you could tell before you saw the sign just by looking at the you know, you coming around the corner. You can't see the sign yet, but you can see the shape of the building, the color, the size. You know, hey that's a Popeyes or something like that. So anyways, I if you can think of other retail maybe retail businesses, I think you guys know what I'm talking about. I'm not probably not describing it as far as just the terminology, but national chains that all look the same when you you know me, McDonald's an obvious one. They don't shut down very often, to be honest. Without down, a lot of them turn into dollar trees and stuff like that. That's a really good one because you know you can flip that into probably something different. But like let me give you, let me give you a good example of like where it all made sense. And I'm gonna give them a plug here even though they don't they don't pay us to mention them, but people see me there enough anyway. It's like a known it's it's known that I'm a big fan of this place.
Speaker 2: Roosters.
Speaker 4: I believe there are three roosters in the Kentuckian area. I know of two for sure. I think there might be a third one in southern Indiana that all used to be Ryans like the Ryan's Buffet, which yeah, you know, I think it's like similar to what Golden Krowl is and that kind of stuff. And I'd never gone to them as Orion's, but once they became roosters, I mean, I go to the roosters on Preston pretty often, and I know that the one in Fern Creek there used to be a Ryan's as well. That makes sense, right, you took what was already a big you know. And by the way, I'm sure those were built the same. And who in the first conversion that took place with Roosters here in louisvill where they're like, hey, here we go this this space is available, this Ryan's is shutting down. We could probably put our restaurant. We can take over that space and thrive, And then they see another ryan struggling not far away.
Speaker 2: Hey, here we go.
Speaker 4: We're going to expand because we know the space they put that they have, We've already taken one. It was, you know, it wasn't that big of a conversion. It's really just a restaurant turning into a different restaurant. Although I think Ryan's was more like buffet style and that's obviously not what you.
Speaker 2: Get at Roosters.
Speaker 4: So anyways, that's where my brain has been today. But we do have a lot to get into and it's going to be a weird show for me because again I say that in the three o'clock hour, thinking hey, I got I got the next I got two and a half hours, two hours and forty five minutes now to to you know, try to squeeze it all in as best I can. But now with our guests today, it's gonna be a little different. But I do want to let you know there is a really good update that I kind of feel like isn't getting a whole lot of attention, maybe because it's not interesting stuff. It's boring legal lawsuit stuff. But it does sound like there's there's a path for the AC to resolve the the you know, the issues that Florida State and Clemson have with their lawsuits. So really good ride up from ESPN's what's his name, total brain fart here because I've been thinking about what old pizza huts have become. He covers the ACC for ESPN. Specifically, he joins us on the show, not like frequently, but he's been on many times. You're not gonna know you're not an ACC guy. You don't even need any botty contact list.
Speaker 3: Maybe I could sit here and open up my little app and see if I can find his name and see.
Speaker 4: If it's not even important because he's not coming on today.
Speaker 2: David Hale is his name.
Speaker 4: I don't know why that's what I need medication that can help me just completely, because once I know, like I'm just having a brain fart, I can't move on from brain fart until I figure out what I completely forgot for no reason. And that goes back to what I've mentioned before. I'm I used to be really good at remembering everybody's name, always on the tip of the tongue. I could, I could meet you once in five years later, I might remember your first and last. I mean, that's an exaggeration, but like that's the way I feel like I used to be. Now I don't remember anybody's name.
Speaker 2: I can.
Speaker 4: I can be talking to somebody and and like you put me on the spot, Hey what's their name? Like I might freeze up. It's it's not it's not good, not good at all. But anyways, I mean, if in fact what is being discussed works out, I think it's a win win for everybody involved, the ACC itself, keeping members that you know, it's nice to laugh at him when they struggle, thinking they're better than the league and they're not. But you need a you need Clemson in Florida state to remain in your league.
Speaker 2: You just do.
Speaker 4: So. I think if what's proposed works out. I think it's again, it's a win win for everybody. Also Dean Sanders, I mean, he won a game he was supposed to win, and is are you know, it's just I mean, I don't even want to say he's back to, like, you know, being arrogant, because he could have lost and still been arrogant. But like, I've never seen someone be so sensitive to criticism and just combative with media when really I can't think of an example of anybody really being over the top about Dion and even if they were. Dude, you're a head football coach at a major university and you haven't done anything good yet other than generate interest and viewership and make headlines. And I guess that's that's maybe that's maybe that's what he views success and that's why he's so pissed off that people criticize him because he doesn't understand, Yeah, your job's to win football games, man. Like so his latest claim as far as why Colorado players are getting criticized is just insane to me. But again, like I shouldn't be surprised with anything. Also, Pat Kelsey, he talked last night at an event at the Fraser Museum that was called Operation Revival. It was base their way of introducing coach Kelsey to the local community. He did a Q and A and there's some clips of that I want to share with you guys, including his comments on the rivalry, so we can certainly talk about that. Also, some big news in the NBA, and I know a lot of you don't give a damn about the NBA, and I get it. However, Woj retiring with a bunch of money left on his contract, a bunch of years left on his contract, actually is it's big news. I mean, when you think of people who break news in the world of sports, I mean I think it's there's two people that come to mind, at least for me, and I'd say for most people, and that's Adam Schefter and Adrian Wojnarowski. And Schefter is more known because he's I mean, it's the NFL. It's a way more exposed. I mean, it's just a way bigger, way bigger sport and has way more interest. And obviously he's in he's in front of the camera on ESPN a lot more than woje ever was. But I think Woj was arguably the best I've ever seen as far as he was gonna get it first, he was gonna break the story right like a lot of times. And here's the thing, like people who are in that in that in that industry, like I know you were competitive among your peers about getting it first, But I can tell you this first hand. Nine out of ten people who just you know, are sports fans and will get the news when they get it, they don't care.
Speaker 2: Who had it first. They just don't.
Speaker 4: So like, I think there's a lot of times where Chefty gets credited and he's the one people get the news from because he's on freaking ESPN, And it might have been you know, Jay Glazer and his bald shiny head that had the scoop, or I don't know. Who's some other guys that break news in the NFL. I'm sure there's many of them, but I'm drawing a blank now. WOJS had some competition with his former protege Shams Cherania, who, by the way, is probably gonna be the one who replace him, I would assume at ESPN. But what Woa's doing is wild. He's leaving ESPN as their senior NBA insider to go be the general manager of the Saint Bonaventure men's basketball program, and I think you could you could probably guess how this happens. He's in alum he went to school there, so that's that's why he's been very connected to his alma mater for ever since he graduated. And now he's going to be the GM, which is essentially the role when you hear GM of programs now, whether it be college football, college basketball, or you know, college volleyball or whatever it is, they're in charge of nil like they're in charge of, you know, helping raise money and how the program can allocate that money to keep everybody happy, all that kind of stuff. So it is big news and I want to tip my cap to Woach, don't. I don't think there's been anybody better as far as just like, I mean, he was so dominant at having all the biggest breaking news in the NFL from the NBA, I.
Speaker 2: Should say that.
Speaker 4: You'd have other guys you know that are capital Jay's that would report something and you'd think, well, I don't know, I gotta wait for WOJ. I mean, yeah, you might have I mean, you know, Shams that's cute, but like, let's see what WOJ has to say here brother, Like, in fact, if WOJ didn't put it out, I don't know if you could even claim it's happening, Like I'm you know, that's just how dominant he's been and he's walking away.
Speaker 3: So wasn't he forced to stop tweeting out the NBA draft picks yep, a year or two ago.
Speaker 2: Yep. That's very weird that he even was able to do that. I'm glad you.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you brought that up, because that's something we can get into later when we revisit this this topic. The way in which he would describe instead of saying, hey, this team is taking this player with this pick, he would say the Boston Celtics are enamored with forward John Alden from Indiana at pick number five. He couldn't say they're picking him. He couldn't say they're drafting him. Like he kind of fought back to ESPN, like, you know, all right, I won't I won't say what they're doing, but I'll i'll say it in a different way. So anyways, hell of a run there for woe. And now he's getting in the nil space, which is kind of odd. But let's get to a quick break Alex Kupper gonna join us on the other side, help get a set for this matchup against Georgia Tech on Saturday, the Cards and the Yellow Jackets, and at five point thirty we're gonna get a look from behind enemy lines. Is Chad Bishop from the Atlanta Journal constitutional join us to give his perspective on this matchup, talk a little a little bit about Georgia Tech.
Speaker 2: So stick with us. Coffee and Company.
Speaker 4: We are feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: It's right.
Speaker 4: It's Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget coming up. In fact it is about a month away. In fact, it is one month and a day away. It is the Jefferson Animal Hospital Pints for paws and people. It's gonna be at Jefferson Animal Hospital on outer Loop their hospital and emergency regional center, and they're partnering with the American Red Cross. So what you can do is bring your pet and you can learn more about how your pet can become a blood donor. And for those who don't know how this works, if you know, may not. I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 2: It sounded.
Speaker 4: It wasn't something I always really had any knowledge of. But your pet can donate blood just like we can. If your pet, I'm sorry, if your dog is over fifty pounds or your cat is at least ten pounds, they may qualify to be a pet blood donor. And again, the event's going to be going on October nineteenth from ten am to two pm. It is Pints for paus and people at Jefferson Animal Hospital on outer Loop. You bring your pets, bring your family, enjoy food, live demonstrations on pet blood donations, and the opportunity for you to donate blood yourself to the American Red Cross. Again, Pints for paus and people on October nineteenth from ten to two All pets welcome, All people are welcome. From more information, you can visit pet bloodbank dot com. We will be we will be joined coming up a little bit later on with somebody from Jefferson Animal Hospital who can talk a little more about this, this upcoming event that I know they are really excited about. All right, so we're efforting Alex Kupper. You can, you don't have to keep you can. I'm gonna I'll just text him John and tell him to call our number whenever he's when he's when he's available, which I'll just give him the regular number and see if that works out for him. Some times that happens. I did throw it at him about an hour ago as far as what time we were going to be having him on today. So and look, he's he's got more important stuff to do. He's you know, he's Alex Cupper. He's moving, he's shaking, he's hustling, he's he's he's a big deal in the corporate world, former offensive lineman in the NFL. Also, of course at Louisville. He's now you know, he's got he's got stuff going on. So for some reason we got to move him to you know, tomorrow or Friday week and we can.
Speaker 2: Certainly do that.
Speaker 4: But I am starting to get more and more excited about Saturday, and the closer we get, the closer, I guess, the more I'm just reminded that, hey, this is where we're going to learn about Louisville in some former fashion. And I guess this is just you know, I wouldn't call it nerves, because when you really don't have a clue what to expect at least you have nothing to base it like this almost feel I'll just say it's this almost feels like the opener for me, to be honest with you, because it kind of is. It was nice to see what we saw against Jacksonville State in Austin, p But really, you know that you do what you're supposed to do. And even if you again, if you look looked great in that game, or you looked awful in that game, well if you looked awful, that would be really concerning. But there are other teams out there. I mean, look, this is not a shot at Kentucky. It's it's just the most recent example I can use Georgia. You know, they they lost to a Kentucky team that who knows, maybe Kentucky ends up doing exactly what Auburn and Missouri did the last two years. Give Georgia a hell of a game and there in Georgia's first road game in the SEC and feel like, hey, we've got something special here, only to then not really do anything the rest of the way, finished with a losing record. I'm not saying that's what happens with Kentucky, but you know LSU, you know they they struggle against Nickel State, and then they went in and beat South Carolina at South Carolina. Right after South Carolina just dominated Kentucky at Kentucky. And again that Kentucky team, you know you could, you could, you could make the claim, and it's not crazy that they were just as good as Georgia in that game. I mean, again, they didn't win, so therefore it's a loss, not a win. But like as I've said throughout the week, I understand why Kentucky fans are doing the moral victory thing. And I wonder if that'll ever like fade away. Like I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where because if you look good in a game, you know you weren't supposed to win, and you looked your best as far as you know, it was the best performance of the season. Like you guys know, I'll pile on Kentucky when when necessary, when it's you know, when it's when it's fair game. And look, I'm fine if people want to clown them for their coach being so conservative.
Speaker 2: He punted it away.
Speaker 4: Because Kentucky football has actually gotten a lot of national attention that they've never got before, not because they were in a close game, but because of the decision to punt. Like Chris mad Dog russo of I mean I know him from his legendary sports radio career. I mean he is quite literally. I know Benetti likes to take credit for it, but mad Dog literally helped invent the platform of sports radio. And he's now on First Take with Stephen A. Smith a few days a week, and he was ranting and raving about Kentucky not you know, they're in their decision to punt, so you know, you can look really good and know you weren't supposed to win and it'd still be a loss and feel good about your team. Like again, I would I if it was coming from a place of you know, being honest, I would, I would do it. But I just I know that if if I was in the same situation it was Louisville where they were coming off a really really bad loss in dominant fashion, you know that they were on the wrong side of and then they were right there and they played, you know, neck and neck with the best team in the country that right now, really, if you just go the back the last three four years, George is the best program in the country and they may win the national championship this year, and if they do, nobody's going to be surprised. However, you know you lost, still like I would feel good, Like I would, I'd be a liar to you if I said no, I'd be pissed and I'd and I'd hate my team.
Speaker 2: No, I mean you should.
Speaker 4: In fact, if it was me and I was a Kentucky fan, and let's just say the exact same scenario played out the way that it did, I would be more mad, even though it's been over a week removed, I'd be more mad about what happened agains South Carolina because what you did is you kind of told on yourself like there was you confirm there was zero excuse to have have gotten your teeth kicked.
Speaker 2: In like that.
Speaker 4: Now there's nothing you can do about it. It's in the past. But you know, anyways, all right, let's let's do this. Let's go to the text line five O two six five three zero seven nineties the number if you guys would like to text in. Got some good texts that have come in so far that that this is this is a really good question. To be honest with you, this is something that I've never I've never thought about, but I think it's it's a good question. It says Nick, I've got a hot take for you. I want to I've got a hot take I want to throw at you.
Speaker 2: We'll throw it at me.
Speaker 4: It says I'm a I'm a transplant here in Louisville and I work with Cards and Cat fans. Hearing from both, hearing them both absolutely hate the two basketball coaching hires adamantly and just days later love both guys, should be a reminder to both athletic departments that you should never listen to your fans. You can do whatever you want. They're still going to buy in and support.
Speaker 2: Do you agree.
Speaker 4: That's I mean again that we all know that's really what happened. I mean, both fan bases were not happy when they found out. Although it wasn't official yet, but it looked clear Pat Kelsey was going to be the Louisville head coach. Mark Pope was going to be the Kentucky head coach. I am am, you know, I try to I think this is an honest opinion that it's not coming from somebody that is, you know, being a homer towards U of L. I think Kentucky fans were more so losing their mind about Mark Pope being the coach than Louisville fans were about Pat Kelsey. But I can tell you hand up, I just never thought Louisville would be in a position where they would be making such an important hire and they would go with somebody that you know, was not a candidate anywhere else. And although good coach like it, just I liked Pat Kelsey. And again I don't need to defend myself now, but you can go back and look at the shows we did whenever we first started talking about candidates when the job actually did open up, and I knew that Pack was the first guy that Josh here to talk to.
Speaker 2: I like Pat Kelsey.
Speaker 4: I just never thought we'd get to that point where they'd be going and hiring a guy that wasn't from you know, a power for type program, Power five program. I should say so, I've always liked Kelsey. I just didn't think love we would go that route. And I think Kentucky fans it's really the same thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: They just felt like they could get anybody they wanted, and then they didn't. They didn't get Scott Drew, they didn't get Dan Hurley and then it went to it went to Mark Pope. So you know, I to answer your question, do I agree?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I mean I think your observation as far as what fans did, is true.
Speaker 2: And maybe there is some some.
Speaker 4: Case study there that does tell athletic departments athletic directors to ride out the initial anger and emotion from fans because eventually they'll eventually they'll realize, Hey, what am I gonna do? Not be a fan anymore? Because that's what it comes down to. And I used to say that all the time about Kenny Payne when Kenny Payne was clearly not good enough to be our coach and I knew they were gonna hire somebody else. I had my preferences, right, Like I really really wanted them to go hire Jerome Tang. I wanted them to consider Eric Musselman, and they didn't do either of those things. But I would always say, no matter who it is, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: Not be a fan?
Speaker 4: Like I didn't think Dusty may was worthy of it of the job. Maybe maybe him not being worthy of it is a little bit of a stretch, But like as far as my preference, I didn't think that would have been a good hire. I just didn't and I expressed that, but I always had to kind of, you know, include no matter what, I'm gonna support it. Who else was out Mick Cronin. I mean, that was something that gave me, you know, fear. I did not want Mick Cronan to be the Louisville coach because I just feel like that would have been like one He wouldn't do all the great things that Pack Kelsey's done up to this point to get us excited, because he's just an angry little man. And I can say that because he's smaller than me. But you know, like your point is correct. Louisville fans Kentucky fans both acted like the world was coming to an end when they found out who, in fact was going to be taking over their basketball programs. But I'll give both Pat Kelsey and Mark Pope credit. Even if they did not do really well in their press conferences, Kentucky fans and Louisville fans still would have found They would have dug deep and found hope and belief that this will work out and they will support it because that's what fans are going to do. But I also think both guys did a great job of really really knocking their press conferences out of the park. Now they don't win, none of that matters. But I think Kelsey and Pope both when because they knew. Like with Mark Pope, I think he really he really won over the fan base because he's one of them. Like he again, I we'll see what happens with Mark Pope. None of these guys had coached a game, by the way, But with Mark Pope, I mean, I mean, you know, he's he could be there. Jeff Brown because he's somebody that like does get the job, like he understands, like he's one of you, just like Jeff Bram is with us. There's something that that Brom brings to the table at Louisville that Louisville could have the biggest budget in college football to hire a coach, but Jeff can give them something. None of those guys that would demand that high price tag would right, Like no money can give you what Brom gives you because he's one of us. He played here, he's from here. He could coach at six different schools in the next ten years. He will still love Louisville football because it's part.
Speaker 2: Of who he is.
Speaker 4: So with Mark Pope, same thing, Like, you know, even if it didn't work out, it'd be hard for him to ever like probably not love UK because that's where he played.
Speaker 2: He won a national championship there.
Speaker 4: So I do think where I disagree with with your comment here is that, like athletic director is, an athletic department should always be checking the pulse of their fans because their fans are their customers and they need them. Now, with that said, you know, when it comes to the die hard, passionate fans, you should never think you should never have the mindset all the hell with what we do or what happens, they're always going to be here, because that's just no way to go about it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like it's a weird thing to say.
Speaker 4: But with what Louisville, I'm just speaking for myself as a fan, with what Louisville basketball has kind of been through over the last you know, ten years here and there, could what could happen to where you're not gonna still be all in and you know, be a fan now being a fan, there's a lot of layers to that, right, Like Louisville could suck for twenty years and people ask me who's your team, I'm going to say louisll because that's always going to be the case. But like if Louisville sucked for twenty years, people aren't going to games, revenues down. Like we saw what happened with Kenny Payne, like everybody still identified it as a big louis A fan. We just knew we were going through, you know, a really really disastrous situation.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: Are you okay, John? Yeah, I'm okay.
Speaker 4: Why because I love you and I want you to know that, because I can tell that you know, you're not mad at anybody. But like it sucks whenever people don't people know show us on the show. Yeah, it happens, I mean it does. And I you know, I'm not having checked my phone. So maybe because I.
Speaker 3: Tend to think there was a miscommunication, of course probably, Yeah, of course, I mean I would.
Speaker 4: Here's my guess is that he, you know, living in his corporate world, he probably got caught up in something and just you know, is away from his cell. Yeah, or he saw three thirty and thought it meant five thirty because he's joined us at five thirty before, or four or five could be. I mean, you know, we'll make it work, and I don't. I don't want to make it out like John's about to go find Alex's cupper and wring his neck for non an, but like John cares about this show. Not maybe to the same level that I do, but like it's not far from it. And that is something that like they could have And this is a good example, good little, good little uh segue here they could have the money to pay John or to pay somebody six times what they pay John. I'm not sure if they if they would have the same Giba damn about Coffee and Company. And that's something I appreciate. So when I asked if he's okay, I don't want to insinuate that he's but he's he's in there just you know, raging, but like, you know, it sucks, and I you know, it happens, but you know, we'll be okay, we'll be all right, we'll make it work. We adjust on the fly, and you know, we'll see what Cup. We'll see what Cup's excuses. And by the way he had he knows like when I figure out what his excuses, I'm gonna let the listeners know just because I feel like they're they're entitled to that. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side wrap at the three o'clock hour. A lot more to get into. We'll let you hear some more. PK had to say last night at they had event at the Fraser Museum and the mayor has proposed something that I think is a really like it's something that I read the headline and thought like, there's no way you'd be able to do that, but apparently you might be able to and I will be all in on it. And it's in regards to the street racing arrests that have gone on here in the last last few weeks.
Speaker 2: So stick with us. It's coffee company.
Speaker 4: We're feel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's coffee and company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Wednesday edition our last day and then we got football back.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: This has been the schedule for football here in America for a while now. You have mean Monday night football has been around forever. Thursday night football has been around for many years now, and I just I'm now viewing each week as if like, look, we got a two day work week, and that's not really the case, because you know, I still work Monday through Friday like most people. But when I got we got football. You know, it just makes everything better. And when you get football to watch and wager on and get in on the action, that makes it even more fun. And where you need to be getting in on the action is with Underdog Fantasy. So if you haven't heard of Underdog Fantasy, let me tell you a little more about the fine folks at Underdog Fantasy. They have been around for a couple of years now. I've been familiar with them for about a year, and I know over a million people, Yes that's right, over a million people across thirty three different states got involved last year with Underdog Fantasy and won a lot of money. You can went up to one thousand times your money by just choosing high or lower on your favorite player stats, touchdown, passing, yards, and more. Just think high or lower on what you think any player is gonna do right, like they've got a line set. Let me just give you an example for tomorrow night's Thursday night action in the NFL A not a great game. I feel like usually doesn't take them. You know, usually they give us some better action in the first few weeks with Thursdays.
Speaker 2: But it is the Jets and the Patriots.
Speaker 4: And let me just give you a little example about how how this you know, how there's a lot of different ways you can you can you can get involved and play, have fun, win money. But for me, for tomorrow, I'm gonna pick five different things here. Rather it be high or lower for five different players. And if as long as you're picking at least one pick that is from you know, one side of the matchup right, one player for the Patriots, one player for the Jets, then you will you know, then then you're good to go. And now I don't mean guarantee you're gonna win, but like that's what you have to do in order to make you know to to to play a pick. So let's say, you know, and I'm just I'm putting this together on the fly here, but I've fel pretty good about it because a lot of these guys actually you know, are on my fantasy roster for both sides of these teams. But I'm going to go over higher, I should say higher. Again, it's not over under, its higher lower, I'm gonna go higher than sixteen and a half yards for Breese Hall, who's off to a great start. I'm gonna say that Jacoby Brissett is going to throw at least one interception, so that's higher than point five interceptions. So just that alone, I can now play those two picks to win some money. For example, you know, ten bucks on those two things to happen. If Breese Hall has higher than sixteen and a half rushing yards and there's at least one interception from Jacoby Brissett because it's higher than zero point five, that'll pay me thirty one dollars in twenty cents. But I need a little more juice, guys, I need a little more money on the line there. So I'm going to add some more picks to this play for a bigger chance of a pay or I guess a chance for a bigger payout.
Speaker 2: Let's go with Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: I think he's going to have fewer lower I should say then two hundred and fourteen and a half passing yards. Now, I'm going to go back to the other side, which is the Patriots. You know, I'm not super familiar with their with their personnel, obviously they're going through a rebuild, but I know Ramandre Stevenson is their top running back and I think that the Jets defense is going to contain him. So I'm going to go lower than sixty seven and a half rushing yards for Stevenson. So now I've got four picks here, and if I play it for ten bucks, that's ninety five dollars. But I also happen to think that we're going to see a big day from receiver Garrett Wilson for the Jets, so I'm going to say that he has higher than five and a half receptions, So that's a five pick play here. That again, I don't know, maybe it's just how I view it, Like I think all these things I shouldn't say are likely to happen, but I feel pretty good about him. So if all five of them happen on my ten dollars play here, I'm winning two hundred dollars two h one to be exact, or if you want to be a little more conservative, you can flex it. So if I flex it and they all hit because I flexed it, the ten dollars wager gets me a payout of one hundred dollars and fifty cents, half of what it would get me. Obviously, A five decided to do just the standard. We'll all have to hit. But if four come in, only four of the five picks come in, I'm still cashing twenty five dollars and ten cents. So it's not like I'm you know, not all of them hit, but I can still four of the five hit, then I can still make some money. So again, it's Underdog Fantasy. Not only is it a lot of fun and you should just do it. To do it because you'll enjoy it, you can all you should also take advantage of what they're going to hook you up with. So right now, if you hit over at Underdog Fantasy simple to use mobile appor just go to Underdog Fantasy dot com and you sign up with the promo code Nick seven ninety, that's Nick seven ninety, they're gonna give you a free pick to use on your first pick them. Also, if you enter money you add money to your account, they're gonna match up to one thousand dollars in bonus cash whosit. So it's Underdog Fantasy promo code Nick seven ninety to claim your new customer special of a free pick and your deposit offer. So again, it's Underdog Fantasy Promo code Nick seven ninety must be eighteen and up in president in a state where Underdock Fantasy operates. Terms apply concern with your play called one interre Gambler or visit NCP Gambling dot org.
Speaker 2: All right, two more hours left. Stick around.
Speaker 4: It's coffee and company rolling along here on a hump day fuel but Thornton's on Sportsbock seven ninety