Speaker 1: In this episode, we talk about a Supreme Court mandate from twenty twenty, according to which CCTV cameras were to be installed in police stations to monitor and kurb custodial torture and deaths. We also talk about former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheik Hasina making her first public media appearance in two years from New Delhi, saying she would return to Bangladesh despite fears of getting arrested or even killed. But first we talk about the wave of protests unfolding in Punjab just months ahead of the assembly elections. Hi, I am Hrikananda and you are listening to three things there in an Express News show. Over the last two months, Punjab has witnessed a series of protests by employee unions, contractual workers, unemployed youth, pension seekers and several other groups, all demanding better wages, regular recruitment and the fulfillment of promise made by the government. These protests and strikes, often taking place simultaneously, have tested the state government's ability to manage the unrest and the political fallout while ensuring that essential services don't suffer. So to understand why these groups have taken to the streets, what their key demands are and how the ARP government is responding to them. We speak to the Indian Expresses Raki Jagga, who reports on Punjab for the paper. Raki, could you explain to us why protests by different groups are intensifying in Punjab just ahead of the semi elections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the protests are happening because it's not a new thing that the protests are happening ahead of the polls. It's a normal practice. If we see even in any pole bound state. So six or seven months ahead of the elections, a number of unions they intensify their protests, although they keep on organizing their protests if their demands are not met from time to time. But I mean six or seven months ahead of the poles they intensify because they they tend to build a pressure on the ruling government that the elections are coming in and they may get few of their demands fulfilled.
Speaker 3: And even if they won't be able to.
Speaker 2: Get the demands fulfit, they can get that opposition's sympathy and all, and maybe the opposition can include their demands in their manifestos.
Speaker 3: So this is a.
Speaker 2: Reason the employees' unions and even the farmers, the laborers. They have a common practice to intensify their protests ahead of the polls. Although in Punjab there had been regular protests in the last four years, but now I mean the intensity has increased.
Speaker 1: And can you tell us which are the major groups currently protesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the protests started with the linemen, the apprentices. They started their protests in June. They were the students we can say sort of students only the ones who complete their apprenticeship courts for the linemen in a trade, so they are giving some training and then after a test they can be recruited as linemen in the Electricity Board. Initially they were the ones who were testing in June and they were brutally latly charged on June five. And then they were protests by other groups as well. I'm in like the unemployed unions. These continue happening, but now in July the protests were being done by the regular employees of Electricity Board for better grades, the doctors and the paramedic staff of the Amadnik clinics and they were protest by the Narrega workers for pending wages and they wanted regularization, and they were protested by the salitation workers as well for regularization and also for better wages, and the ASHA, the aggredited social health activists, they are continuing their protests even now. And there are health workers who called themselves as Corona warriors because they were recruited during the Corona period. So they are the ones who are still sitting on protests even now.
Speaker 1: So let's start with sanitation workers. Why were they on strike?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the sanitation workers, they were on strike since July eight earlier. They were on strike for sixteen or seventeen days in May as well. So there are more than twenty five thousand sanitation workers and a part of them are on track, and the number of the workers who are on regular roles they're very less. But the regular ones were just supporting the outsourced and the contractual persons and they were on strike that they were seeking on minimum wages up to forty thousand per month.
Speaker 3: That they said that we are doing a.
Speaker 2: Hazardous work and this work which is not done by anyone else, and we are looked down upon for doing this work, so we should be paid well. And the other thing was that they said we should not be outsourced or we should not be on contract.
Speaker 3: We should be on regular roles. So these were the main demands.
Speaker 2: And not only the workers who are in field who are doing the cleaning jobs and the severmen there.
Speaker 3: Are back off his staff as well.
Speaker 2: There are gardeners, baildars, electricians or peons in the sanitation department. They were also along with these persons that who wanted I mean the better grade. So everyone was along with and they were doing the strike. And because the monsoon is on full swing, the Punjab was in a very bad state and choked sievers and the roads full of garbage and all. So it was really a hard time for the government to convince these employees. And finally on Monday late evening, the Local Government Minister Hajutsinghbanks was able to convince these striking employees to call off the strike.
Speaker 1: Right and even employees working in the power sector have been demanding better wages, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the power employees also again I mean for better wages. They said that there was one notification issued by the previous Congress government in July twenty twenty and because of that the Punjab government they had implemented the central payscales and I mean according to the power sector employees they said that Punjab's quality of living is much better than the national average and hence the state payscales were on a better side than central pay scales. I mean when Punjab government had started this department, the Power Sector department, and they said when they were shifted to the central pace case, so it was kind of for demotion for them, I mean in sort of salaries. So they said that central pace calls are paying them less, so they want that notification to be withdrawn and they should be given state paycills only. And at the same time again and a number of employees in the power sector they are on contract and they want them on regular roles. And in power sector there is a scheme that because it's a high risk job and if you die while on duty, so the family members they get job on compassionate ground. So there were many cases pending in which the families were waiting for jobs on compassionate ground. So these were the various reasons. And there were around eighteen or twenty thousand employees they were on strike and another five or six thousand they were on contract, so they were also supporting them. So finally the Power Minister he was able to convince the striking employees on twenty six July, and these power sector employees, they have temporarily called of their strike. They said, we are waiting till August fifteen for the formal implementation of a number of demands and if they will not be implemented in later and spirit, I mean as they have been promised, so they said they may resume the strike after August fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yet again, and now we come to the Manrega employees. What concerns have been expressed by them regarding their working conditions Manrega employees.
Speaker 2: I mean, these are the ones around twenty one hundred of them. They are the ones the back office staff, the ones who run the system, I mean the supervisor, the gram say works, the computer operators, and the coordinators, the ones who coordinate with the entire these NAEGA workers. So they are on wages. And the rest NAEGA workers they are on daily beges now the three hundred and sixty or soap per day. But these people around twenty one hundred persons, the back of his staff, they get regular wages. So they were saying that they are on contract. When Nearrega's scheme started in two thousand and five and since then a number of them they are working since two thousand and five, and they wanted now to be on regular roles before being switched to this Viksitbaharat, the GMG scheme, and that's why they were saying that we won't sign the fresh contract under GMG, but unless and until we are giving an assurance that will be on regular roles and working with the Rural Development and Punchaya Department. And in addition to this, their wages since January they were pending, and their wages are in the range of eighteen thousand to fifty thousand, depending on the various designations.
Speaker 3: The employees they work.
Speaker 2: So for the pending wages, they were on strike since June one, and on July seventeen they were even issued a warning letter that if they don't sign a contract under GMG, so they'll be terminated and the new fresh recruities will be given the jobs. Even then, they had continued with this strike, but in the mid of the July government was able to mount pressure on them, so they called off their strike and then they signed contracts under GRAMG and now under JIRAMG they are not on regular roles. They are rather again on contract, or rather their contract starts from day one and Raki.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, Sangrur, which is the CM's home district, has become the center for unrest. Do we know why that is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean wherever the CM lives, so the employees' unions they always try to march towards that city. Only when Kaptain Brinder Singh was the CM, the Pateala used to be the favorite hotspot for the employees unions to protest. And when Procasting Badel was the CM, especially his home I mean native village Badel in books a district that used to be the favorite hotspot for the employees unions and other protesters to protest. And now that the same way, the CM hails from Sangrur. He hails from Sathage village which is in Sangrur and he also has a accommodation innegated colony in Sangrooves. So the employees' unions they tend to go towards that gated colony only where the SAM has a house. And although he rarely visits that house, but I mean it's a symbolic thing that the it's a SAM house and whenever sm visits Sangurur. So he do visits his house and there is a security outside that house. So I mean there's huge police force outside that gated colony. Only a police never allows the protesters to go inside the gate of that colony. But the protesters always they march towards that road. It's a state highway, the Sangrur Patala Highway. They march towards that road and then there is a barricading about one kilometer ahead of that colony and most of the times police they don't.
Speaker 3: Allow them to march ahead.
Speaker 2: And ultimately a number of times a forces used, then they turn back or they give their memorandum and then they turn back. So this is a reason the Sangrur is a hot spot because the sm lives there and if they are doing a protest in Sangurur, so they think that they'll be heard of or maybe they may get some attention from the media or maybe from the officers because a lot of VIP movement keeps on happening in their district.
Speaker 1: Right and how has the ARP government responded to these protests? How were they able to bring the protests to a halt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ARP government as I told you that in the Naraga strike that they were able to convince them or they were able to mount pressure on them. So the finally they made them join the GMG scheme. But the ARP government they have given them the wages I mean, although the wages are still pending, but they were shored these striking employees that they'll be paid back the wages of the period during which they did the strike. And at the same time they also withdrew their termination letter as well. And in sanitation workers strike, Ahmadaming government they gave a lot of things the employees. They were earlier on ten thousand and five hundred dollars per month salary only the contractual workers, and on May May one, the labor day, their salary was raised to fourteen thousand per month. And now when they were doing the strike in July, Josing Banks, he announced that the salary of the contractual employees has been raised to twenty five and twenty per month and that is equivalent to the salary of a regular employee who's on probation. And at the same time they announced that the contractual employees who have completed five years of job in contract, the ones who are doing the hazardous jobs, they'll be put on regular roles. And the outsourced employees who have completed that in hour of three years of the job under outsourced company, they will be put on contract. And the government had to have made all these changes because on July twenty two, while these employees they were protesting rather I will say that, because there was a lot of garbage lying on the roads, so the government was making their own efforts to get that garbage cleaned from the roads, and the sanitition employ they were preventing the private staff and the government authorities and the police who were getting it cleaned not to get it cleaned. So during that episode, clash happened and these employees, including the women employees, women's sanitation workers, they were brutally lati charged by the punjapolice and that was got on camera.
Speaker 3: The videos went viral.
Speaker 2: Thirteen workers got injured, and I mean it became a huge political issue in the country because on one hand, the Amadmi Party was protesting the Gentlemantha police force and on the next day, only July twenty two, this thing happened in Bernalla, so they had to suspend two police employees and after July twenty two only they announced so many things and hiking wages and the other reforms.
Speaker 1: And keeping this in mind, what was the opposition's response to these protests?
Speaker 2: The opposition as I said that once the Bernala Lati charge happened, then the opposition was all out against the Amadhme Party and Amadmi Party was literally at the receiving and the party normally while they're addressing the workers because the power sector and the sanitation these all are essential kind of services, so they used to be very strict with these employees even while appealing them. So after this thing, once are all the opposition and the Congress, the BJP, they were all out against them. So Amame party was literally cornered and BGP President Caver saying Hillo, he even gave ten thousand rupees each to all the injured sanitation workers from his own pocket. And the opposition reacted strongly and they said we fully support the striking employees. So that's how the employees were getting a boost and ruling party was being cornered and they were under pressure to get the strike result.
Speaker 1: So Raki, how do we see these larger issues being resolved and what can we expect in the upcoming days.
Speaker 2: Although these major strikes they have ended, but still these are temporary kinds of arrangements.
Speaker 3: They may again come on strike.
Speaker 2: And the larger challenge is coming from the employees, the regular employees of more than fifty government departments who have not been given eighteen percent pending dearness allowance and that courte case is going on and those employees are also planning major protests in the coming weeks although they are fighting a legal battle as well. The Corona warriors, as I mentioned, they are sitting on strike in Pateala. They were the temporary employees who were recruited during Corona period and they were recruited for a short period because at that time the department needed more health workers. And now they're saying that we want regular jobs and the ASHAs they are still on strike. They want the better incentives and they want that minimum stipend of ten thousand per month should be given to them apart from the rest of the incentives and they want graduty other things as well on lines of Haryana government.
Speaker 3: And in addition to this, the farmer unit.
Speaker 2: They are planning the protests in the coming months because as I said ur. In the electioneer everyone gets in full mode. And then the farmer unions they are planning their protests not only against them in Jab government but also against the Center government because the Center government they said they did not implement MSP as a legal guarantee and a number of other demands and they are against the India US trade deal as well. So the farmer unions, the say Kissan Murchak, they're also gearing up. They're doing many meetings. The promises which were done by the BGP government in twenty twenty one when the protests at the daily border that was lifted. So they said that those promises were not fulfilled till now. So something big is going to come up from the farmer's front as well in the coming months.
Speaker 1: And next. We talk about a Supreme Court mandate that was meant to make police stations more accountable. Back in twenty twenty, the Supreme Court had directed that CCTV cameras installed in all police stations across the country in order to come custodial torture and debts and ensure that what happens inside police premises can be monitored.
Speaker 4: These cameras also safeguard honest police officers from false allegations of abuse.
Speaker 1: That's the Indian expresses Beneath Bahla, who reported on the story for the paper.
Speaker 4: So the idea behind these CCTV cameras is to bring about transparency when it comes to allegations of custodial violence.
Speaker 1: But a new report submitted to the Court has found that many states are yet to install CCTV cameras in their police stations and that has raised larger questions about implementation. Some states say that they have enough funds of their own to install the CCTV cameras because their proposals have been approved, but the assistance have not been provided by Center, and others have not even submitted proposals yet despite saying they need money. So to understand why the Supreme Court CCTV mandate has remained incomplete, Michaeleeague Chashama speaks to Beneath in this segment.
Speaker 5: We need to place in a broader context. Could you help our listeners understand just how serious the problem of custodial violence is in India.
Speaker 4: So we actually have data regarding the number of custodial debts during police custody in the last few years, the numbers considering the size of India may not seem huge. So for example, in the financial year twenty one twenty two, there were one seventy six such deaths recorded. In twenty two twenty three it was one sixty three, twenty three, twenty four it was one fifty seven, twenty four to twenty five it was one forty and then last year, which is twenty five twenty six, it was one seventy. So it's hovered around the one fifty one seventy mark. But a like there is a possibility of this data being underreported and be even if this data is accurate, the fact that one hundred and fifty odd people are dying in police custody in any year, that like those are in itself not small numbers, right, one hundred and fifty people who were just accused of crimes and died while being held up by the police. If you hold those numbers up against most other countries in the world, it will come across as proportionately huge. So this is why the Supreme Court took cognizance of this, recognized this as a grave problem within our criminal justice system, and that is why the mandate for CCTV cameras was given right.
Speaker 5: And speaking of this report, we understand that at the national level, twenty one states and Union territories have submitted proposals or action plans seeking funds for CCTV installation centralized monitoring systems. But you highlight how Jharkhund has reportedly not installed a single camera. So do we know why the state has fallen so far behind?
Speaker 4: Yeah, your correct, Jarkun, according to the report, doesn't have a single CCTV camera in any police station. According to the report, the state's chief secretary blamed it on a mix of interdepartmental disagreements, budgetary constraints, and other bureaucratic red tape hurdles. They had to float tenders twice in order to get someone to install these cameras, and they still haven't applied for central funds under the Assistance for Modernization of Police scheme by the Central government. So the fact that there are still no cameras even six years after the judgment shows that there is a very serious lapse on Sharkan's part.
Speaker 5: And we need what about other states, because several states have sought financial support through the Union government's assistance to states and Union territories for modernization of police scheme.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so again it's not. The report doesn't make for great reading because most of the states, even ones who have submitted proposals to the Central government for using its scheme money for setting up these CCTV cameras. Even for those states, the money has not come from the Central government to them even after their proposals have been approved by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs. In fact, Himachal Pradesh is the only state in India that has actually received funds this financial hear from the central government. The delay seems to be on the center's end. The central government had said that it had about eighteen fifty pro rupees available for this more the police modernization scheme, but in a meeting in July, the government stated that the scheme is lapsing and funds are now limited. So as a result, a lot of states are caught between the Supreme court strict monitoring and deadlines for implementing its twenty twenty judgment and the realities of actually getting money from the government from the central government for implementing the Supreme Court's mandate.
Speaker 5: Right and interestingly, some states have said that they can financi city reinstallation themselves, So how do we read that?
Speaker 4: So, yeah, you're correct. There are some states like Marastra, Goujrat, Haryana and Odishav and a couple of Union territories which have said that they have sufficient funds in their own state budgets for setting up these cree cameras. I think it should be seen as a positive sign because it shows that if there is a genuine political will, then state governments can bypass these central funding delays that I spoke about and take ownership of the Supreme Court's mandate and police anyway is a state subject under our constitutional framework. So state governments are well within their right to use their own revenue money for this issue if they prioritize it and we need.
Speaker 5: Given that it has been six years since the Supreme Court's order, have authorities commented on the challenges faced and the fact that why it has taken so long.
Speaker 4: As I said, there are many reasons behind this, so there are bureauctic hurdles to blame. There is also poor planning on the part of some states because states like Biharre, Kerala, MP and the Government of Delhi there yet to file proper action plans as to how they will use the money and for what. Bihar had actually submitted a plan but turned out as the report has flagged that the plan was for traffic surveillance rather than police stations, so that's why it wasn't given money. So clearly there are issues with planning and technical confusion also which are to blame. But with such Supreme Court judgments which require the laying out of infrastructure across the country, it is expected that there will be delays and it remains to be seen how much longer does it take for governments to fulfill the Supreme Courts mandate. As I told you, Imachal Pradesh has received the money. Some other states have also said that they already have the money and it's not as if no progress has been made. Apart from so, only Jharkan is a state where there are no CCTV cameras yet in police stations. All other states and Union territories there is some progress, and depending on which state or which Union territory to go to, you'll find either some or even most police stations have CCTV cameras. So such delay, as I said, is expected, but significant progress has been in the last six years.
Speaker 5: And even if cameras are installed, is that enough? And also are there other safeguards that exist for people in police custody.
Speaker 4: Certainly not so. Even if you get a CCTV camera, it needs to have a tamper detection feature, for example, so that its footage cannot be deleted or manipulated. You also need CCTV cameras which can hold data for as for the Supreme Court's mandate eighteen months, so that delays in investigation don't lead to the CCTV cameras throwing up a blank for a particular case that happened in the past. Moreover, you need centralized dashboards as well, so that these cameras feeds can be monitored remotely. But even apart from that, you need several other safeguards against custodial violence, which were laid down by the Supreme Court in another judgment called Dkbaso. These guideline include, among other things, that when someone is arrested, the police officer must have a clear name tag, They must prepare an arrest memo signed by a witness and inform a relative or friend of the person who's being arrested of the arrest immediately. Then once the person is arrested, they have a right to a medical examination every forty eight hours, and they also have the right to meet a lawyer during their interrogation. And under our constitution, anyone who's arrested must be presented before a magistrate within twenty four hours. So the CCTV camera's mandate is just meant to sort of supplement these rights and make sure that all these other rights are actually provided. Two persons who have been arrested and are in police custody.
Speaker 1: And in the end we talk about Former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheik Hasina made her first public media appearance in two years from New Delhi yesterday, saying she would return to Bangladesh by December despite fears of being arrested or even killed.
Speaker 6: Whatever fate evers me, I will return to my people. I cannot stay away while my pilabit county men are I know.
Speaker 3: I may be detained, I may be sent to prision.
Speaker 6: They may try to enforce Verdic's issue in fabricated cases. But fear cannot decide my duty to the people, my life.
Speaker 1: The president was held at the Foreign Correspondence Club of South Asia in New Delhi. The former Prime Minister of Bangladesh fled Dhaka two years ago after facing widespread student led protests and has been living in India since then. Ahead of the event, India reiterated that the media interaction was being organized by a private entity and said the government neither had any role in it nor in dose the views expressed there. Bangladesh had earlier expressed concern that the event could affect improving bilateral ties. In a virtual interaction with the media in Delhi, the former Bangladesh Prime minister said that the current Bangladesh is not the one for which three million people sacrifice their lives in nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 6: This is not the Bangladesh we built. This is not the Bangladesh for which three nil people sacrificed their lives in ninety seventy one.
Speaker 3: Let me begin with that.
Speaker 1: She said that the truth about July and August twenty twenty four is that it was not a peaceful student's movement, and how her government had tried to resolve the issue peacefully through dialogue, legal process and patience, but behind the language of reform, organized groups were working to turn students' demands into a violent political instrument. Speaking emotionally about her family's legacy, Hasina broke down while remembering her father's Sheik Mujibur Raheman, and other family member killed in the nineteen seventy five assassination. The Awami League president added that the ban on her party should be lifted and reiterated that she would return to her country. Hassina also called upon the international community to stand with the people of Bangladesh in their struggle for democracy, justice and peace. As a stable Bangladesh matters for South Asia and for the Bay of Bengal. Hassina's son, Saji Bazid, said that Bangladesh has become another Pakistan on India's eastern front and raised concerns over the role of foreign intelligence agencies in Bangladesh. He also questioned the death toll reported in connection with the twenty twenty four protests in Bangladesh, pointing to differences between figures cited by the United Nations and those cited by the previous administration headed by Muhammed Unis. He alleged that the UN's assessment covered only the period of up to August fifteen, twenty twenty four, while noting that deaths continued beyond that date.
Speaker 7: You have the UN number of fourteen hundred, whereas the government number is eight hundred something. Who are these additional six hundred people? Where did the UN get those names? Our party has written to the UN, our lawyers have written to the UN again and again, and today the UN has not provided any names. But more importantly, the UN only covers a period up to August fifteenth of twenty twenty four, but we know that the debts continued. And what is most alarming.
Speaker 1: Was it also criticized the unis led interim government, which has been replaced by the Tarikirrhman government. You were listening to Three Things by the Indian Express. Today's episode was edited and mixed by Surish Babar and produced by Ichasharma and me Niharikhananda. If you like the show, then do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts. You can also recommend the show to someone you think we like it, share it with a friend or someone in your family. It's the best before people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express podcast and write to us at podcasts at Indian Express dot com