Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot, the kids are crying or trail off. The comforts are screwing it up. Gold Play inter Murals, Brother, gold Play Inn Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to.
Speaker 3: Be with your adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 3: All right, good afternoon, and welcome in Coffee and Company Guild by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: That is us.
Speaker 3: My name is Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery alongside and every one of you that is listening. That means you are our company. You're a guest here, but we don't want you to feel like a guest. So sit back, make yourself at home, and we're gonna have some fun over these next three hours. I'm coming to you from my cave in the basement. Austin he made his way in. Not a lot of people working today, I feel like in general, but you couldn't keep Austin out of there. N we probably could have been kind and maybe you know giving you. So let me let me start with this. Yeah, I'm gonna look one thing you know about me, I'm gonna look out for my guys. Am I not, that's right, of course, you're a guy looker outer. Did you get offered a chance to stay in a hotel?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I did, Okay, I just needed to know.
Speaker 2: No, it sounds intriguing because who doesn't like a night at a hotel? Right? But I literally live like six seven minutes away and it just someone could just like just drive straight down Market Street for six minutes and I should be fine. There's no need for a hotel, all right.
Speaker 3: I was kind of worried that maybe you weren't offered the arrangements, the accommodations that the legendary other folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, they they got the Tony Vannetti. They were doing it too. Also, did get offered super reimbursement?
Speaker 3: Sonetti got offered.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure Vannettie hung out last night with Shannon the Dude and a couple other people down here. That's what they're talking about on the idea.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if it's because they just assumed, Yeah, I think I was. Yeah, no, I didn't get offer the hotel because they knew I have remote equipment and I do my show remotely. That's right anyway, so it makes total sense.
Speaker 2: They offered me Uber reimbursement though, so I got to get an uber and uh it's and apparently I couldn't be getting reimbursed a lot of things. There's apparently a process to do that, and I don't know how. I've never never done it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to go through it with some travel Uh some years back, you know, like long ago when they did actually you know, look out for Yeah, that doesn't happen anymore. Although they will let me use the company vehicle to go somewhere if I can like tie into it's part for the show or whatnot. Right, Yeah, you know, anything we can get around here, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything we can, any if we we can eat they I'll just yes, anything we can.
Speaker 3: I don't know what direction you were going, but you're right, anything we can get our I mean, that's why we don't. We don't do this for the money. We do. We do have probably some very prestigious salaries compared to some I hope you can sarcasm there, but we just do it because we went free stuff. Yeah, there are some occasional perks that come with this. So one of those is that I can sit here in my home and be warm and do the show and not have to get out in this weather. And I will say, hotel funds are always kind of kind of nice. I wouldn't have wanted to do it last night. But if I had to choose, can I occasionally get put up in a room? Or can I keep remote equipment at home to where I can conveniently broadcast, you know, whenever I want that, I would take the ladder. So anyhow, look we're gonna we're gonna get into it today because there's a lot to get into and I mean a whole lot. Great weekend for both college basketball programs around here, Louisville and Kentucky. The NFL regular season has come to an end, well pretty much come to an end, and we've got the playoffs, the playoff matchups all set up. So, I mean, I don't know how much it's going to be a topic today. I kind of feel like I want to address it once the dust settles, But man, it has continuously been busy for Jeff Bram and his team when it comes to the transfer portal. Every time I refresh Twitter, every time I look up, I feel like they're getting somebody committed to them in the portal. So there's a lot we will get to. But I will say to kind of, you know, talk about the obvious, the snowstorm that hit this region in a way that you know, I certainly wasn't expecting whenever they're right, they're right. I mean, I'll be honest, I did not expect us to get anything close to what was being thrown out there as far as the amount of snow. Like I thought we'd get something. I thought it would be cold, But like I we haven't had. We haven't had this kind of girth when it comes to snow.
Speaker 2: That's right, Well speak for yourself, yeah, of the snow.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. So this is without question the most snow and the most that this area has been impacted by this kind of weather. I feel like in many, many years. I mean, I guess in order to know if we've been impacted at the same rate we were back in I don't know, nineteen eighty four or whatnot, I don't know how you'd be able to measure that. But a lot of schools around here are closed, and they closed for just for two days, and I haven't looked to see if what they're talking about Friday is anything closed to what just happened. But not only did we end up getting I think you know the amount of snow, the inches that you know a lot of times people exaggerate the inches. Well that I'm not one to.
Speaker 2: Do it, but I know a lot of yes, depends on what you count the base at.
Speaker 3: Exactly, yeah, exactly, and it counts. So nonetheless, they not only did they get it right when it comes to that, it played out almost exactly the way I expected. And I guess maybe this is something to keep an eye on if you're trying to if you're trying to figure out which of the local meteorologists, or maybe it's not even local, maybe it's just somebody on the weather channel, I don't know, and you're trying to figure out which one you can trust the most. I would say, if they're all kind of on the same exact page, then I would say, then then that's probably a good sign that it's going to be accurate when it comes to the forecast. I mean, I'm sure there's been times where they all were on the same page exactly and it was the exact opposite that happens. But I feel like the only difference I saw was there were and I'm not going to mention any names because I know it's a very sensitive industry that is, you know, meteorology, whether the weather men and women. And I say that understanding that, like we have maybe the most vain jobs out there. We work in radio, right, we want a platform to yell and and you know, show ourselves. What we do is behind closed doors. People can't see what we look like, so don't take it as an insult. But the only difference I saw, and it was slight difference, was just maybe the regions and where in which it was gonna be the heaviest, Like some were saying that south central Kentucky wouldn't be impacted all that much. And I think they, you know, Austin, you're a wrestling guy, like I think they always kind of they want to slight what do you call it when you want to you slightly? You know, I guess in wrestling you can't really do it. So maybe I'm making a bad analogy here, but like they'll throw little barbs at each other to where it's not like they're, you know, calling out each other by name, but they'll know, Hey, this guy over here, Jude Redfield on on w d RB, who I love you, Jude. You know he's saying that there's gonna be actual snow in south central Kentucky. Well, I'm here to tell you, j Cardosi a wlkyh. He's a bomb and he's wrong. Like they're not gonna go They're not gonna go full heat, which would be hilarious.
Speaker 2: I mean that we'd call it getting call it getting heat, right, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 3: It's like Anchorman, Yeah, but with weather, you know, with the weather guts. But nonetheless, that was only difference I saw. Was there there were some making some slight changes as far as what they thought would happen in a certain region, But overall everybody seemed to be on the same page and they got it right. And I know there was there's probably many many people that wanted them to be completely wrong, not only so you could maybe I don't know, make fun of them and their industry, or maybe you didn't want it because you hate this weather and you're somebody that no matter what you're gonna have to work, and maybe you have to work more because of the type of work that you do. I mean, maybe it's more so needed when you have weather like this. I'm sure there are a lot of people that hate this kind of stuff, and I get it because it is inconveniencing. We were able to get my kids out of the house, which was very, very beneficial for me.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: I mean, we didn't get anybody to take them. I just threw them out in the snow and you know, hopefully they can survive out there. Well. I do the radio show because I I mean, I love my children.
Speaker 2: Come back when the when the when the street lights come on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, come yeah, come back later. I didn't really do that, by the way. You never know if people might take you serious. My kids are safe, but we got them. We got them situated to go to their to their to their grandma's. So, you know, that was a big game changer for me because I you know, I know I'm not the only person. I always feel bad when I say that, because you know, I'm a parent and people are probably maybe thinking this guy's a real a hole. He should he should cherish every second he gets with his kid. Uh. Well, you know, I know I'm not Maybe I am the bad guy here, but I know I'm not the only one. And I know there are people listening right now that totally agree. What are the things that, uh that that sucks about having schools closed and work from home or whatever it may be, where everybody's at home. Your kids can one drive you crazy, and sometimes you know you got to do stuff you can't. You know, you don't get the day off of school, you don't get the day off of daycare. So you know it, when it comes down to it, uh, I love snow days like this. I mean again, I went on a little bit of a of a to the left turn there and just got back to where I was going. But when it comes down to being able to kind of be you know, tucked away, I like it. Other than I did think I was gonna lose my mind on my children. But other than that, I kind of feel like, you know, maybe it's because I'm fortunate to be able to work from home like this, but I kind of feel like this is the first time around here in a long time where and I know not everybody, but a good chunk of the region, we're all just kind of snuggled up, staying warm and looking outside at the beautiful snow that we got, and it's kind of nice. It's not quite like the snow days that you got when you were when you were a kid, which, by the way, I'm sorry, Austin, you didn't get a chance to experience though she grew up in Arizona. No way you had a snow day right in Arizona.
Speaker 2: No way there is about. Sorry. There was someone that called, but then they just hung up. Sorry, So I just can always call if you want to. But I remember distinctly about two or three different snow days in Arizona, in Arizona, and how two of them being like on Easter around Easter time, and one actually being during I remember the football season. I'm pretty sure it was the night where I think it was the AFC Championship game the Colts and the Patriots, and the Colts made a good comeback and that so sent them to the Super Bowl. And uh, I remember raining on that night. The snow was gone melted by like the very next day at sures are we talking here in this it was like thirty degrees like probably right at the freezing rain or Arizona. Right, Yeah, it's it's it's when it gets that, when it gets that cold, it's two jacket wearing weather, as I call it, and that's pretty bad. But I remember they canceled or they called school off or said that school was delayed until twelve if you want to come in, because come on, guys, where Arizona. Let us let us have fun in the snow.
Speaker 3: Well, So, like I think, you know, I'm sure every region has a reputation as far as how they deal with whether they don't often get we I feel and maybe it's just because, man, there were such great memories when I was a kid, But I feel like growing up in this area, there was a lot more snow like it was pretty common.
Speaker 2: When I visited a lot. That's what it felt like to It always felt like when I came back it was snowing.
Speaker 3: Like now, I think you can count on one hand each winter the last few years where we've actually gotten snow where you can look outside and see that it snowed. It wasn't just like you know, a dusting or whatnot. But I feel like when I was younger, even when we didn't get snow days which we got plenty of them. We still had, Like I just feel like once a week there'd be snow, Like I just remember there always being snow on the ground or there being some kind of snowy weather that impacted us when I was a kid. I'm sure it's just because again those things were fun to me. But you know, this seems like the biggest that it's got, for this seems like the most impact that we've been in a while around here. But what I was getting at when it comes to the regions, like whenever right now, I would say we're probably to the neighbor. Our neighbors to the north probably look at us as whimps because you know, they get way more snow and like, you know, a couple couple of feet into much for them. I mean that's probably an exaggeration, but still like they're used to it and they think we're soft because maybe we can't drive when we get something like this, Well Arizona opposite, like we may we in Kentucky may look at what you guys do and how you bundle up and how you drive for like you know, some sleet and think like you guys can't handle it. So it's all it's all based off of I mean again, there's also a reason as to why, like the cities to the north and in the Midwest are are much more equipped to handle it, even the cities than on its biggest Leuisvell. It's because, you know what, they have a lot more resources. There's a lot more people that work for you know, for the government that's out there taking care of roads and those kind of things. And by the way, those people are super important. And I'm sure you don't think about them often, but days like today and yesterday and even tomorrow, I'm sure we appreciate them out there because even when the roads aren't great, man, think about how bad they'd be if we didn't have anybody out there.
Speaker 2: There's a guy that lives like right on my block. I'm pretty sure, here's the neighbor right behind me. But he drives a company truck. And what I've just now noticed this year, and maybe is because the first time they projected like a huge snow slash ice storm like this, but I noticed Saturday, right before everything like got pretty nasty, he had a snow plow on the front of his truck and on the back of it he had like a whole thing full of ice or full of salt. So I'm like, all right, let's go. This guy's looking out for us.
Speaker 3: It's just being a good member of the community.
Speaker 2: But I don't think. I don't think he got our block at all. Does not look good. I don't know if he forgot about us or forgot to turn on the switch. Why was driving off the work forgot you? Yeah, he must have forgot it. I thought that we were set. I looked at Sidney, right, we're good, We're good and no, so I mean not that I'm mad at you or anything. He just kind of he zigged and we zagged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say this. We're gonna get to sports in a moment, I promised. But before we get to our first break, here, just a couple more things I wanted through out there, because I've my wife and I got into not an argument, but you know, she she feels a certain way and I think she's wrong. And what do I do. I'm a child. I take it to my radio show and try to get my listeners to convince me that I'm right and my wife's wrong. That's what any man would do. But she we were out yesterday, so we woke up last night or woke up yesterday morning, and sure enough, we woke up and it was already it was already a good amount of snow on the ground and it really never stopped. So we took the kids out did a little sledding in the driveway. This is where, you know, there's no nothing good other than one thing about having the hill in my in my driveway. I have a huge steep hill and it sucks really in every way, but yesterday we got to use it to sled and it was perfect. So there's again that's the only good thing that that comes with it. So we had we had a good time out there. And my wife she was out there just snow, you know, you shoveling snow, not to completely clear our driveway, but just to you know, kind of keep it, you know, to where it's not as bad as we we you know, the grass and what and that kind of thing as far as the accumulation. So it wasn't as if she got it completely clear, but she was about halfway through it. I was helping the kids sled and I one didn't want to, I didn't want to shovel, and I also, well, dude, I didn't want to shovel and also I didn't want her to keep doing it and making me feel bad. So I was like, babe, why, like do you really think this will this will be like this is gonna help because it's only gonna get We're only gonna get more snow later, we're gonna get some ice and sleep freezing rain. Then we're gonna get more snow after that. Like I said, I just I just feel like doing all that is is it's not really it's not really worth it, And and she kept going. So finally I was like, well, look, you're actually gonna make it worse. I didn't want to say it, but you're gonna make it worse because what you're doing is you're getting rid of a big part of the base to where all that's gonna be underneath it is ice. And she was like, no, no, you're wrong. Well, last night, after she had shoveled it, we were able to get out of the driveway and then get up the driveway, so I kind of think she felt like she won. Well then today, of course this morning it's snowed. Did it end up snowing quite a bit, Yeah, Yeah, there was a I mean it was snowing really all morning, but there was I don't know, about an hour hour and a half where it was coming down harder than it was yesterday, at least where I was. So you know, here I am thinking, is it gonna be much slicker and much more difficult to drive up now that we've had another layer of like ice and sleet and they put more snow on it? And sure enough, like our our driveway, I bet it's like two and a half inches of ice. It's like an ice like it it's I mean, so not only could we not get back up the driveway, we couldn't walk up a bit walk up right because it was literally it's that steep and it's just nothing but ice and it's thick. So, like, the reason I feel like I can tell her that she's wrong is because we dropped the kids off earlier today at their grandmother's house and they haven't opened their garage or walked on their driveway since it started snowing Sunday morning. So we're talking about no footprints.
Speaker 2: Nothing, so just some fresh snow. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we end up pulling in her driveway and I could easily walk because it had like a layer over the ice to where you know it was it was really just deep enough to where and we had some more snow to where you could easily walk on that better and you could drive on it better. And I feel like ours would have looked like that if it wasn't for my wife. But anyways, now our our vehicle is, and when she gets back, she's gonna be sitting at it in the drive she's gonna be sitting at it in the street right next to our house because we can't get up. And I feel like, you know, you know, well, never mind, I'd be like that sometimes. Well I I was gonna say you can't get it up and then you know, and then you could have said that, well you know, I haven't had that issue. Just yeah, shout out doctor wood Leuvill Minsk, right. But you know, I feel like if I was, and she's she you know, Mercedes, she's pretty's yeah, she's pretty sassy. Like if I would have, you know, mentioned not being able to get it up the driveway, she may make some kind of remarking that's right, make me more insecure than already.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's most best not the poke, the pot, the bear.
Speaker 3: Leave i'let her think she got the wind.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny is we never had snow like well, like I said, aside from like the two times where it actually snowed but it relatively melts away. Well, I lived on a military base. So now we lived in a valley. We're surrounded by mountains, and the mountains always got snow. So what they did for like on the military base, like the start of December, they would have like like a wonderland type of thing out there for and they would go get the trucks full of snow from the mountains and bring them down and there would be like three big, huge lots of snow and that's where kids could play in it and kind of get that snow experience. So like that, I that was our snow day.
Speaker 3: He's basically, I mean, I'm sure everybody's as different. And I think and this is just me as a kid being, you know, thinking my era. You know, I had it the best, which I think that's a good thing because you means you enjoyed your childhood and whatnot. But I feel like we got enough snow days to where they were like a huge deal, Like we weren't missing weeks of school. You know, it wasn't as if, like you know, we were out all the time, And it wasn't as if like we got one or two every school year. We would get probably like five to seven a year, spread out from you know, December to February, and you never and we never got it. I mean, there were a couple of storms where you knew for sure, all right, we're not having school, But more often than not, the majority of the snow days I had when I went to school in the Bullet County Public school system in the nineties, you knew you were going to get something, but you didn't know how bad it was gonna be mm hm. And you didn't know. I mean, we were right there on the tempting. I feel like one of the quickest things I learned in school was, you know what what freezing tim is? Thirty two degrees? Because I want, I knew I needed to know if we get any snow, how cold is it gonna be? Am I gonna have a chance to maybe have a snow day. So the majority of the days I got I woke up earlier than I probably usually did just a little bit. I was more awake because I was so eager to just get up and either turn my TV on or run to the living room and turn on turn on the TV I wasn't already on, and I waited. I sat in front of that at that TV. You watch that ticker, the bottom ticker.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 3: And I knew Anderson County always getting out of school, and I knew occasionally beth Haven Christian School would be closed. Breckinridge always closed always, but bullet, That's when I knew if we hit Breckinridge and they went to Carroll County, Nope, we gotta go to school. Unhappy. Nick Coffee as a youngster didn't like, oh wow, because you cause you're because.
Speaker 2: You're right there.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, watching the numbers in the power Ball, Baby, that's what it's all about. And and I'd cherish the moment when I would find out we were get a snow day.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: And I hate now that kids don't get to experience that. Man, they got their parents, got an automated text, they got they got an app for it, they're getting a push notification, they got the Facebook page.
Speaker 2: For the school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you don't know what it's like to I mean, the thrill for a seven year old, Are you kidding me? It's that? And now you don't. You don't get it, and I you know, I hate it for the generation. I hope, I hope it doesn't impact this this society down the line, because that was a very very rewarding experience for me, very cathartic. Yes, good stuff. All right, let's get to a quick break. Hopefully we'll you know, get this thing back on the rails. Maybe we won't. It's kind of a snow day. We're having some fun. We have to talk about Louisville basketball going to Virginia and went in by twenty points. If you don't love this team, I don't. I'm not talking about how good they're gonna be, But I don't know how you don't love watching this team play. Man this Uh, it's been a fun ride so far for Pat Kelsey and they're getting better. That's awesome. Mark Pope his team, yuck. They played really well and beat a really good Florida.
Speaker 2: Didn't he get arrested?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there isn't. Mark Pope and election and that got arrested. That's true. I don't know if it's him or not.
Speaker 2: Some poor guy, I had to get sacrificed.
Speaker 3: That actually did happen in December. That's a real thing. Also, I got a lot of takeaways, believe it or not from the NFL season wrapping up as we head into the postseason. Austin won't we won't talk too much about your vikings because I know that was tough last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was pretty bad.
Speaker 3: That was tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want to be a good team, go out there and pete good teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was but hey, look still you still are in the midst of a great year and would actually want to get to later when it comes to this kind of stuff. Is I feel like momentum is huge entering the postseason in the NFL, and some teams have a lot of it, some teams don't. So anyways, we got a lot more to get to stick aroundright here, it's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: That's right, it's coffee and Company. If feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety, appreciate you hanging out with us here on a Monday afternoon Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomer That's us, and I was hoping that we would have our first, you know, kind of normal week. I'm big on routine and structure, and we will have a full work week at least around here. But it doesn't feel normal because of the conditions out there.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: It does look like the power outages have been have been pretty pretty minor pretty light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it seemed like. Oh you know, I know that that's what everyone's scared of when all this stuff comes, and that's why everyone shops like the world was ending. But I haven't heard or seen too many down power lines or people that's had to go somewhere else because their power was out or heard cable went out. But I guess that's a spare Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think right now. In Jefferson County, LGNE is estimated that there were thirteen hundred people of customers without power. That was as of about one o'clock this afternoon. So I mean that is pretty light as far as the amount. But again, imagine being one of those thirteen hundred people thinking it's yeah, easy for you to say there's not many affected, you know, when it's used. So if you do have no if you've got no power, I feel for you because that that's the worst. That's where none of this is in any way fun at all, because not only are you you know, you're not able to go out and do anything because everything's closed, but you have no power, so you don't, you don't, you don't want to stay in your home. So I hopefully everybody gets power back soon. But that's typically how it works to where once everything is is kind of over and it gets colder and dark, and it freezes and there's wind, that's when you start seeing, you know, the electricity become issues with the down power lines and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I wasn't here for the one that the storm that they always reference, so one was like two thousand and nine, right, yeah, storm that that one.
Speaker 3: Was pretty bad, right, Yeah, My parents were without power for no joke, nearly two weeks. Oh wow, I'd have been longer. Actually, yeah it was.
Speaker 2: They had to postpone some looival games too.
Speaker 3: If it was straight ice like it was just to me it was in clearly ice is the most dangerous I think substance you can you can have on the roadways. I mean, I'm sure there's other ways that I mean, clearly you gotta be careful out there, but snow and ice, it's really a different world when it comes to just how dangerous it can be, especially how deceptive it can be, because you can quite literally not even think the road's wet in a certain spot, and you know you'll realize pretty quickly if you run over ice and you weren't expecting it. So I guess the cold weather at this point is really what is what you need to be worried about, because I think for the most part, the snow and freezing rain, that kind of stuff, I feel like it's gone for the rest of the week until maybe Friday. I think Friday is the next storm we are potentially gonna get great. Yeah, we'll see, we shall see.
Speaker 2: I'm not scared of my bad I'm not scared of slipping on ice just to hurt myself. I'm selfishly more scared of I know, someone just probably saw that and they think it's funny, because I think that that's funny, and like to hell, if my tailbone got broken, I just I just don't want someone looking inside. Is that that guy from across the street, he just busted all over, busted ass all over the place.
Speaker 3: I nearly I fell earlier today and it wasn't terrible. And yesterday I nearly fell a few times. And I don't know if it's just because I'm so scared of falling and like not not even I'm to the point where I don't care if anybody sees it, Like again, that wouldn't be ideal. I would prefer if I'm going to fall, I would like nobody to see it. But my only worry is like, don't hurt yourself, because man, it could be it could be painful. You can like seriously hurt yourself. It's not careful. And yesterday when I nearly fell but didn't, and then today the two times I nearly felt but didn't, I get angry after the fact, not like relieved. I'm like, oh my god, what the hell? Because when you don't expect it, and then you know, I'm not good with the ice I was. I mean, I did the I had my kids, uh tablet and you know, because they were trying to navigate through it as well. And I had my kids, uh little I've had tablet and I'm holding it and I all of a sudden just start. My one foot starts to slip, and then I'm doing like I'm, I'm, I'm. My feet are going back and forth on the ice and I'm you. Yeah, it was probably it was probably two seconds, but it felt like ten seconds.
Speaker 2: Fake fall is worse than a real fall.
Speaker 3: And I didn't actually fall, but I gathered myself, but I nearly fell, and I was so angry, and then my kids started laughing and it kind of made me not not as angry. But yeah, if I would have fell, it would have been it would have been bad.
Speaker 1: Like it was.
Speaker 3: It was either you better catch yourself and get balanced, or one of these feet's gonna slip too far and you're gonna go up in the air and you might you might need to say a quick prayer.
Speaker 2: That's yep, that's what it's what it mine is My reputation's at stake here. Don't look like a full don't.
Speaker 3: Fall, Yeah, but I mean, like, you know, don't don't get yourself killed because you're trying to make yourself not look as foolish during a fall. That would be worse. It's a bad way to go out, that's true, a really bad way to go out. All right, so the NFL playoffs are now are now set after this this weekend's games, And really what it came down to was the Bengals were the I think the Bengals were the were the team that really, you know, was alive still heading into their last game, and two plausible things needed to happen, and one of them did. They ended up beating the Steelers in Pittsburgh, but then they needed the Broncos to lose to Chiefs, and you know, once that game played out, Austin I kind of felt like, all right, well, you know, I guess it makes total sense that the Chiefs would not be looking to do the Bengals any favors at all. Like, you know, I'm not a Bingles fan myself, but I know a lot of my friends. I have a lot of friends that are, and I know they were. They were kind of like, yeah, well it doesn't matter. Like they wanted to beat the Steelers to keep hope a lot, but they kind of deep down felt like it's we talked about it on Friday that really the most unlikely thing to happen that needed to happen for the Steelers was not the for the Bengals. Was not beating the Steelers. It was more so, well the Chiefs give a damn like, why would they even like they may actually just want to end the game and get it over.
Speaker 2: With, right, Yeah, And you can tell by how they were literally like on their there, maybe not even their second string, and then the Broncos just devoured them. And probably because and Andy Reid probably won't tell you this, but you it's you probably don't want to end up having to face Joe Burrow in the playoffs. And once again, I'm not I'm not like the big Joe Joe Burrow defender, like I know, how weird talk about how good he was. I actually heard some analysts say, well, the NFL playoffs are now missing out because there's no Joe Burrow, and we probably need to settle down on that. They probably should have had a better season, but yeah, that's uh, the Chiefs weren't doing them any favors, and probably because they didn't want the chance to run into them because they Joe's kind of been there, there, there, there there kryptonite.
Speaker 3: I mean, they should they probably would feel pretty good about their chances against anybody when they're at home, but Burrow, the build up that would be there if somehow Burrow got in the playoffs and he's making that trip to Arrow ahead. Yep, for that, I mean that would be I mean not to say Pat ma Holmes wouldn't come out in the ball because you know, there's there's not many games where there's been high pressure, hot stakes and he and he hasn't been able to come through. But yeah, there's no doubt if you're if you're the it's not even really about you being fearful of them, it's just like, yeah, we'll avoid that if we can because and we also have they had nothing to gain by winning. So here here are the matchups that we'll have coming up this weekend in the wild card weekend, the Chargers are going to take on the Texans. That'll be the first game on Saturday, and then we've got the Steelers and the Ravens that'll be at eight o'clock on Saturday, and then on Sunday, Broncos and Bills at one o'clock, Packers and Eagles at four thirty, and then the late game will be the Commanders and the Buccaneers. And then this has got to be new right, a Monday playoff game. I kind of feel like this Vikings Rams game. I kind of feel like the maybe this is like the second or third time, because now that I'm looking at it again, I'm going back in time thinking, Okay, maybe I do remember there being a playoff game. I'm trying to remember bat today or a Sunday, but I kind of think one day. I feel like one time they had a playoff game on a weekday during the day because of like COVID stuff, because of like weather or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty I'm pretty sure you're right. I can't remember anything that's been done on a Monday.
Speaker 3: But look, the more playoff games they give us, the better it is. I think super wild Card Weekend, the product of the NFL is pretty awesome. Therefore, any and when the games aren't super competitive, the NFL dominates when it comes to viewership, and the playoff games have typically But I mean, I feel like we've been fortunate in the NFL in recent years to where even if even if it's not a team that you you want to win because you're not a fan or maybe you're not winning your bets, when it comes down to just some of these actual games themselves, the back and forth we've been. I mean, there was one year I think it was a few years ago where I'm thinking to myself, We'll never get a weekend like that to where you had like three thrilling games. So I do want to I don't want to jinx it. I don't know if we're gonna get that this time around, but the playoffs typically deliver. And I'm certainly pumped about all these games this week. And I'd say the one that will get the most attention, I mean, I mean, is it, well two things. One, the Ravens and the Steelers is not a game that like, I mean, I know the Steelers, of course are are are a good team. They've got no momentum, but they're a good team. But like if the Ravens are, Like if there's gonna be a bunch of chat this week about could Lamar Jackson win. I mean, you can't really control that if you're Ravens and Lamar, but like as somebody who is clearly gonna pull for the Ravens specifically because Lamar, like if we're talking about you know, and again it's not to say that it's super easy, but I just feel like I'm gonna be annoyed if there's a whole lot of build up of like can Lamar Like, No, the Ravens already better team than the Steelers. They could lose, because you know anybody can lose, it's the NFL. But like, it would be a disaster if Lamar in the Ravens can't get past the Steelers. And again in the NFL, you know, anybody can get beat. But if this team really is as good as we know they are, as far as what we've seen at times, I mean, it's one thing to do in the postseason, but when this team is clicking and they've got their defense not being so vulnerable, and they've got a good balance with Henry and Lamar on the ground, you got say Flowers making plays, Bateman's having a breakout year. I mean, the Ravens should win this game without question. So I'm sure that'll get some chatter around here because of Lamar. But I think the two games that I'm most interested to watch, I mean, I think actually the biggest game is going to be the Vikings Rams, because the Rams have some momentum, they're playing well, and the Vikings had a phenomenal season coming off a tough loss last night to the Lions. But I'm also interested in the Buccaneers Commanders game. I just feel, you know, that's probably me just nerding out because I think both guys here are pretty interesting. Baker Mayfield has kind of resurrected his career, and yeah, and you know they've got a home game in the playoffs, and if he wins another playoff game for the Buccaneers, I think that's another sign that you know, this guy, they thought he was dead, they thought he would never play again, was playing scout team defense for the Panthers, and now here he is for back to back seasons getting Tampa to the playoffs. So the Commanders, I just want to see if if we can get the same magic from I mean, I'll be pulling for the Buccaneers, to be honest with you, but I mean the Commanders when it comes to Daniels, I mean, if he has the same magic he's had this season into the playoffs, I mean they're gonna be a threat. And you don't see it very often, Like he's clearly getting a lot of attention Austin. Anybody watched keeping up with the NFL at all knows that Jaye Daniels has been talked about quite a bit, but like I kind of feel like there's not enough noise about how this is one of the best. Like nobody's saying he's not great, but he's the best rookie quarterback in the NFL in a long long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, he has good structure around him. To Dan Quinn as one heck of a.
Speaker 3: Coach, that's usually how it works to but he's got he's.
Speaker 2: Got weapons, he's got Brian Thomas, he's got they got a lot over there, so and he's just he's very electrifying. Dude. He is like watching almost like Lamar Jackson a few years ago. So that's uh, that that's that's fun to see. Terry McLaurin, that's who I was thinking of there. That's a really good that's a really good connection. That's going to be a really good game.
Speaker 3: I know, I I uh, I kind of feel like the NFL. Maybe it's because we just I don't know. I was gonna say, it's so wide open, and it's just because I want to ignore the Chiefs because you know, I want to see them lose. You know, the Chiefs, even if you know there weren't some things that I find to be pretty unlikable about their whole uh circus. They're clearly the the big dog, right Goliath, so like I would like to see them taken down. There's a lot of elite franchises out there that have had dynasties, and really it just comes down to you want to see the dynasty, and it's really personal. It's just sorry, we've had enough. We've had enough seeing you'd be great and everybody talk about how great you are. Yeah, and I've been ready for that to happen for the Chiefs for quite some time. So I guess they still are, you know, the premier team in the NFL until somebody drops them down. But other than that, man, I feel like it's pretty open. I mean, there are a lot of teams that, like, if they make it deep into the playoffs, I can't sit here and say that I'm going to be shocked. I mean the Ravens, I put them there. I wouldn't say that about the Chargers, certainly the Bills, but hey, the Broncos have been good this year. Maybe the Broncos end up knocking off Buffalo. That's easier said than done. The Eagles finished with some real, real momentum. The Packers not as much, but you know, they're a good team. And then of course the Vikings of the Rams. I think actually the winner of that game, I mean I might pick them to go all the way to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Rams are sneaky. The Rams are like a sneaky good team, especially especially when you consider the head coach and a quarterback matchup, Matthew Stafford and Sean McVay. Those are two guys that's won the Super Bowl before they got all their weapons back. Now going to LA because there's been I mean, LA is really not a home field advantage, but the guys that you have, like the talent around that one's gonna be a good one. Kevin O'Connell facing the teacher and Sean McVeagh. Also put to mind that the Vikings only two other the only two losses to two teams that they lost to have been the Vikings and or to have been the Lions and then the Rams. And then they played them back to back. So Minnesota lost to in a row. After they lost to Detroit the first game, they had to travel to l a short rest Thursday night football, and then they lost to the Rams airs. So now it's kind of going into a similar situation. But I'm not I'm not ready to count my squad out just yet.
Speaker 3: Oh not at all. I think I think the I think they'll win.
Speaker 2: You know, they the two point favor right now.
Speaker 3: They did take a tough loss in the season, but they're they're not to the point where you can claim that like they've significantly lost momentum, just had a very bad game. Yeah, the Rams are clearly a hot team that got good at the right time and really have been able to ride that momentum, and clearly getting their guys back at receiver has helped. But the Vikings have been a phenomenal team this season, and right yeah, the playoffs are gonna be gonna be awesome. All right, let's do this. Let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. I'll finish up the three o'clock hour. Given my thoughts on the Louisville basketball win at Virginia, I stuttered a little bit there, because you know, I think my thoughts are pretty much the same as everybody else's. This team is playing really well right now. They're getting more and more comfortable in their new version of themselves, which of course doesn't include some players they wish they had. But man, Pat Kelsey really making the most with what he has to work with, and it's exciting. It is exciting. So stick around right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety you're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven to nine.
Speaker 3: Dy So, I believe I heard that it was just the second ever Louisville victory at Virginia over the weekend, Dinny Crumb, I think one. I think, I think I saw Denny went one in three in three games at Virginia. During his time, Rick Patino and Chris Mack beat Virginia not many times, but when they did do it, it was at home, not at Virginia. And obviously the other coach is Kenny Payne, being the only other coach that had coached at Virginia, we know there were no wins there. So Pat Kelsey, in his first trip, what does he do, did something that hasn't been done in a long long time, and it only happens for the second time in program history, and he beat him by twenty points. And look, I know that Virginia is not good. Trust me. That's why I said before the game, you know, this is a game that Louisville needs to win for a variety of reasons. I mean, one, you always need to win and want to win, but like this would be a loss that may not have even killed you when it comes to the kin palm, but it's certainly not a good loss. And you know, I think Louisville for me personally, and I guess this is just me looking at it from my own way as a fan myself. You know, I was pretty I guess accepting of the of the losses to the good teams, even though some of them were ugly. And maybe accepting is not the right word to use, because you know what, am I gonna do no longer be a fan if I find something unacceptable. There's been a lot of bad stuff happened in Louisa basketball in my lifetime to where there's really not anything they could do and not make me love them, now that I'm being honest, that's just kind of the.
Speaker 2: Way it is.
Speaker 3: But you know, I looked at the loss to Tennessee and I didn't like it. You never want to get beat by twenty two points at home, even if you knew Tennessee was great. I didn't look at that as you know, like I mean to me, I just think that was all right, we'll have to fit. These guys for the first time are actually seeing somebody be able to take them out of their comfort zone. And now while all being a brand new team, they've got to you know, they got they gotta work through it and figure out what are they gonna do when teams try to slow them down? So you know, then they go to the Bahamas, played well there, came up short against Oklahoma. As we discussed last week, that's the one that I still feel like will be one that got away. But then you know, you lost to Ole Miss. You gotta beat bad and that sucked. They probably will never shoot as poorly as they did this season is they did that night. I think it was also just kind of a they hit a wall a little bit. They were missing layups, obviously couldn't make a three point shot, and they played a team similar to Tennessee that can really ugly it up and take you out of what you want to do. And I think knowing that you got confirmation that you don't have case in prior, you don't have Corn Johnson you know, I just think it was you know, you were kind of just due to get your butt kicked given all this, you know, And I'm not saying that we should just accept that and it's okay, but I just again, I think there was an explanation as to why that one was as bad as it was. Well, then from then on you have the Duke game, and again, yes you lost, but I mean they I chose just to look and find value in that loss. And I know, big picture, you know, you should never want to lose, but and I didn't want them to lose, but I think everybody knows what I mean, Like them competing with Duke and out playing Duke for thirty minutes, it's not a win. It's still a loss. But like I could see, okay, this group is starting to get a little more comfortable with this new version of themselves, meaning they're still going to try to do a lot of the same things they want to do the way that pack Kelsea built the team. But the rotation, right, you no longer have guys that you thought you'd have for a you know, for a lot of minutes in case in Prior and Korn Johnson, So you know, again the Duke loss sucked, but you know, I thought that thirty minutes about playing them, that that was at least worth something to make me feel like, Okay, once you get to playing teams that you know aren't Duke, maybe you'll start winning. And then they had the close win against UTEP and then the Kentucky game. Again it's the rival, so you know, gross to even act like a loss isn't the worst thing in the world of those guys. But those guys are pretty good, especially at upp Arena. And I also, you know, think Louisville held their own and competed, and I think, you know, you play that game ten times, maybe Louisville gets a few. If you play that game a bunch of times in Louisville had their full team. Who knows, we'll never know. It's not relevant, but you know I thought that despite it being to those guys and it being another loss, I was still thinking, Okay, you know what these when they start finding themselves, you know, in a stretch of play where it's not Duke, Kentucky, Ole, miss In Oklahoma, in West Virginia and Indiana all in like a twenty day window, maybe they'll start winning because you know, the schedule's gonna lighten up. And really that's what's happened here. I mean, I know they nearly lost to EKU and that was a real scare and that would have absolutely changed everything as far as how we're looking at this season. Probably not fair, but it just would. But they came out against North Carolina, played really well, and same thing against Virginia. See you beat Virginia by twenty points. That helped you jump I think it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean you were fifty three in the Kenpom when you played Virginia. You're now fortieth. So that win beating them by twenty points, that's a metric win. That is more than just the win on your record. Also, you know the kin Pom is adjusted with other results from other opponents as well, So you know, Louisville is in a pretty good spot. And the North Carolina and Virginia game, like they just came out and I don't want to overdo it and sound really corny, but like they just came out and in whooped Virginia's ass, to be honest with you, I mean they only had a five point lead at halftime. But like Louisville just looked like they're playing with a lot of confidence right now. But it's not because they're shooting insanely well. In fact, they haven't shot well from the three the last couple of games, I mean against against Virginia, they were seven of seven of nineteen, so you know that's actually that's not bad. That's thirty six percent, But they only made seven of them. That's not usually a good recipe for this louisvill team to only make seven threes. But man, they were just I mean they out rebounded them forty two to twenty five, you kidding me, had fifteen assists, had fewer turnovers, had six deals. I mean, they were they were dominant. Like their their confidence is just because I think they're starting to realize, Okay, all right, now we've got a little continuity. Now we have Now we have better rhythm as a group because we now know, Hey, for the last month or so, it's been these seven guys that are play and each guy I think has kind of found their comfort spot as far as where they fit with his team and what they need to do for this group to be successful. And then you throw in cater Triore, and you know he's the kind of guy that just with what he brings to the table. And by the way, you got a chance to see exactly what he brings to the table against Virginia. Fifteen points off the bench, high energy, good defense, I mean he that performance from him, I feel like was as good as I mean that. I don't want to act like he can't play better than that, because who knows. He's only played in you know what three games, four games now in total. But fifteen points in sixteen minutes, had eight rebounds, I mean, really high energy guy. And back to what I was saying, when you consider what he does well, like, it's not about hey, where do we find a spot for him within the offense?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: What kind of set do we need to run to get him him going? No, he's just out there to give you what he gave you. Like his fifteen points I mean in sixteen minutes is really impressive. But it's because like he just right place, right time. He never stops working. He's on the backboard, he can run the floor. So again, if you're getting anything close to that consistently, that changes things for you. I mean, look, when you feel like for the most part, Terrence Edwards and Chucky Hetburn are gonna do their thing, and then maybe you get Javon Hadley, like for example, Hadley had eleven because Edwards didn't have a great night, only had seven points. And then you're going to the bench and fifteen points per game for rain Smith off the bench. You know, I'm sure he's gonna have off games, but it's not something that's where to where you think, like, you know, you can't get that consistently. That's actually right around his average rank. Smith's averaging thirteen and a half points per game off the bench. So when you've got a guy that is producing that consistently, you know, that's a good weapon to have. And again I don't maybe I'm getting my hopes up here when it comes to or getting getting ahead of myself, I should say when it comes to Trey Oray, because again we haven't seen a whole lot of him, but if you're familiar with what he did at Long Beach State, you know that that's what you saw on Saturday against Virginia. And I just feel like this team, you know, I know it sounds like I'm just going overboard here because I know they didn't beat a great Virginia team, and I know North Carolina is down, but like they're playing really well right now and they're playing with a lot of confidence because they're just out working everybody and and they're just their defensive their attention to detail on the defensive scout has been phenomenal the last few games. So if they start shooting better, because again, not good shooting nights at all for Louisville against No North Carolina or really even Virginia they only made seven of them. So you know, on a good shooting night, when they bring all those other things I've mentioned that are super important, I mean, maybe this team starts to dominate some of these bad ACC teams. I know they can lose to anybody. We learned that against KU and UTEP. But man, they're playing really good right now. And it's just awesome to see the confidence that this group has because again it's not because they're just riding a heater and they're waiting for a heat check. They're just out there playing really good defense, out working teams on the backboard, and it's been fun to no doubt. All Right, we got two more hours left to stick around. I would imagine all the snow has stopped at least for the next couple of days at least. That's what I'm that's what i'm seeing here. But it's gonna be cold, so stay safe. I'm sure there's still plenty of roads out there that are terrible, so be safe, and we're with you for the next two hours, taking you up till six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety