Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hey there, Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news. I'm actually recording this one on Saturday. Still no boiler. It's forty seven degrees in the kitchen, and you may hear my voices a little blown out from screaming over the DJ at the wedding of Friday night. But all is good here in the basement studio. Later today, around noon Eastern, I will release a bonus episode with the Comedy Survivor selection show. The executive committee, which is me, has met and named the sixteen comedians that will take place in Comedy Survivor coming to this feed in January. We'll talk about that at noon. Leading off today, Marcelo Hernandez in the news. Now he does two things well, one of them is Domingo and variance on that, and the other, of course, is a Sebastian Maniscalco impression. He got dragged into the White House's battle with Sabrina Carbenter. Sabrina was unhappy that the White House had used some of her songs in a post celebrating the work of Ice. They deleted that post, and then they posted a new clip of Sabrina Carpenter doing a commercial for her recent SNL appearance, with the audio overdub so that she appears to be calling cast member Marcelo Hernandez illegal instead of hot. In the original clip, this is just you know, I've been doing the bit about the president, and I disagree on some of the issues, one of them mis Seth Meyer's been doing that bit, but like, come on, guys, what are you doing here? The original SNL commercial Sabrina still alongside Marcelo and said I think I might need to arrest someone for being too hot. Hernandez said, oh well, I turned myself in. In the White House version of the clip, the over dubbed audio now has a voice like Carpenter saying too illegal. The caption reads, PSA, if you're a criminal illegal, you will be arrested and deported. All right, let's take a listen to what these idiots did.
Speaker 3: I think I might need to arrest someone for being too illegal. Oh well, I turned myself in. You're under arrest.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not even a good edit. It like it's just what are you doing? Just what are you doing? From Wreussell Talk your Home for Comedy News, Tony Hinchcliff said he turned down a WWE writer role earlier in his career, Hinchcliffe was on Rogan's podcast. However, the role would have required Tony Hinchcliff to move to Stamford, Connecticut, which would have made commuting for his comedy commmits rather annoying. Hinchcliffe said, yeah, it was only a couple of years into me doing stand up, like seven nights a week at the comedy store all the time. Someone's like, hey, I have a friend at WWE. If you want to have a meeting with them and just talk. I went in with trade up ideas like the Undertaker's brother comes back again. I can't even remember any of them, it's been so long, but I went in with the whole thing and the guy's like, this is crazy. You just did this, and I'm like, yeah, I found out a couple of days ago. We were going to talk. They offered him the gig, but he said, I would have had to move to Connecticut and take a train in New York every night to go do stand up, and that would have been exhausting. If it was anywhere else other than Connecticut, it kind of would have made sense. If it was New York City, it would have been a no brainer if it was in La definitely w Camal Bell is not happy with Friend of the Show Jason Zinneman. Bell wrote on his substack hate New York Times Louis c. K doesn't need your help subheading when a newspaper has only one stand up comedy critic, they actually have none. This is a lengthy substack post from Bell. I'll pick away at it. He writes, The New York Times only has one dedicated stand up comedy critic. When they first hired him in twenty eleven, I thought, yay, the New York Times has taken comedy seriously. But more than a short period of time, I came to realize that a newspaper that only has one comedy critic only has one sense of humor. This is a problem because comedy is as diverse as a discipline as any other art form. It would be like if The New York Times only had one music critic. We all know that would be ridiculous because the classical music critic has no business reviewing pop music. When you google New York Times music critic, you get a bunch of different names. Only one name comes up. When you do the same with the phrase New York Times comedy critic Jason Zinnamon all right, I'm gonna jump in there. If you're a regular listen to this program, you know Jason's been on several times, and I've had lengthy hour conversations with them. I've never met any conversation we've had. You've heard ninety eight percent of it on this podcast, other than you know, the hey, I'm gonna hit record now part of our discussions. Seems like a really cool guy, seems like a level headed guy. As I often say, I know more about comedy than say, ninety eight percent of the general population, and then the people that know more about comedy than I do know a lot more. And Jason's in that second camp. I also believe, and I'm gonna fact check this here as I talk and type, I believe his title is critic at large, not so much specific comedy critic. So I'm on ny Times dot com right now, and Jason's byline says, I am a critic at large for the Culture section of the New York Times and write a column about comedy. Jason's own words here what I cover, skipping down to the second paragraph. Since becoming the paper's first comedy critic at twenty eleven, I focused on stand up specials, but I also keep an eye on improv, sketch podcasts, plays, musicals, TikTok accounts, and any other forms in which jokes are made. As a critic at large, I also like to write about movie theater and books, but never seem enough time to do it now. As someone who puts this show together every day, and and I'm a paid subscriber to The New York Times, I believe and I could kind of prove it here. Other people write about comedy for The New York Times. I just typed in search query comedian, and as I record this on Saturday morning, it is ten thirty eight am the time, just telling me. Six hours ago Hannah Ziegler posted an article in the Arts section and the headline bouble for a day, but he can't sing, And there's a little resemblance subheader. Dan Permlan, a comedian, looks and sounds nothing like Michael Boublay, and for some reason he was hired to impersonate the Crouner at a birthday party. The next one that surfaced is from August and Zennaman, then one from September twenty eighth, Also in the arts section, Mark Marin and other comedians rebuke Piers in Saudi Festival. That's from Derek, Bryce and Taylor. I guess, to be fair to mister Bell, that's commentary and not a critic piece. But you get where I'm going, and I don't want to bog down in this. There's plenty here. Bell rights. While I do occasionally read Zinneman's work, I read it because it concerns my industry, not because I need his particular critics eye. And yes, a big part of the reason I don't seek him out is because when he found space to mention me, it was clear he was not a fan. Here's the time he squeezed a short review of my Netflix special Private School Negro into one of his columns. Belle then quotes Zinneman is writing Bell's new special seems a little tempid. His stand up was never danced with punchlines. But Private School Negro veers further from a tight club set toward a mix of storytelling, jokes and arguments. It's a rambling, sometimes overly familiar hour. Again, I am friendly with Jason Zenman, so I admit I come with a bias here, But I don't think that paragraph I just wrote to you is like absurd. Getting back to what prompted this piece from Bell. On November twenty one, Zinneman reviewed one of Louis c K's recent stand up shows at the Beacon Theaters. Zenneman's lovingly crafted prose describes in detailed the current evolution of Louis's career. See Jason is concerned that too few people know that Louis still a great comedian. This concern seems particularly bizarre and unfounded because Louis in the middle of a comedy tour that's mostly sold out. It's not like Louis playing small clubs. Louis playing at the kind of venues you play when you're a super successful touring act. But you don't want to play the enormo done in the town, so instead you play a bunch of shows at the giant theater in town. In other words, Louis is literally living the stand up comedian dream. Louis doesn't need Zinnemen's helps writing his word, but Zinnamann does it anyway. Why again, I'll let Jasus speak for himself as an observer here. I think Jason went to Louis ck show during the New York Comedy Festival and thought the stand up was good, and he wrote about it, because that's what he does. Bell, quoting Zinnamon Zinnaman writing, in the seven years since c K admitted to sexual misconduct, the comedian has produced four different hours of comedy. It's a large, under examined, formally audacious body of work that represents a break from the past, but also continuity. Bell writes, under examined, mister, Zinnamon, A, you're trying to make us feel bad for not keeping up with Louis c K's work after his admission, et cetera, et cetera. Are you saying that CK's work is somehow so good it'll make us forget that he did the thing he did, et cetera, et cetera. Louis c K doesn't own anything from the public. His work isn't under examined. It is utterly discarded by the audience who thought he could trust him. Interesting. I mean yes to all this. I see what Belle saying. I think Jason Zinaman went to a show and is also pointing out CK has put out a bunch of things that people haven't seen. I mean, if we want to nitpick the word under examined, especially the examined part of it, I mean, sure, here in the basement where I have no boiler, I'd just like a good comedy fight a lot more from Camel Bell on his substack. If you want to check that out. If you listen to yesterday show, I told you Vulture has Night Thoughts as their number one comedy special of the year. There's now a trailer for it. Based on this trailer, I don't see how this is possibly the number one special of the year. But again I haven't seen it. But this is a year in which Mark Marin's special came out, and I don't see how this is going to be better than that. So let's listen to the trailer.
Speaker 4: Watching your movie made me want to get therapy. Oh that's good, that's clever. Do not get weird about the muscles. These muscles can't hurt you. These muscles are decorative. Never been in a fight for because I'm super good at apologizing.
Speaker 2: I am an immigrant. Are there any other immigrants here? Okay?
Speaker 4: What you can't do is point at someone else. I thought I was happy, and then every now and then I'd.
Speaker 2: Get very angry out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: I watched Bananas in the stake.
Speaker 3: Anyone remember what it was like buying marijuana before it was legal.
Speaker 4: You had to go to a guy's house, pretend to be friends with a guy.
Speaker 3: You had to like, watch a little bit of the Matrix with him. You guys get night thoughts when you're laying in bed in the middle of the night and you can't sleep, and your brain's like, here's something new for you.
Speaker 4: To worry about, or.
Speaker 2: You hadn't thought of that. It's because you're a little bit stupid.
Speaker 4: Night thoughts are like day thoughts, except they hate you.
Speaker 2: This was really keeping me up at night.
Speaker 4: White people, there's more.
Speaker 2: And for some reason it is bothering me. The voice that Kamil Nan Johnny uses during his stand up Now, to be fair, my friend Larry the Cable Guy does an exaggeration. Sebastian Manaskalko does an exaggeration, and I right now am doing an exaggeration. If I'm at the bar at trivia night, I'm not like Glenn, would you like a beer? I'm like, hey, you want to get another beer? My normal speaking voice would be something like that, like Hey, I'm gonna have a sip of my coffee right now. So this is a performance, and I'm up in my Johnny Mack delivery that my children make fun of. So maybe I'm being unfair. But in Kisha Curius, here is Kamail Nanjihanni on the Michael Rosenbaum podcast. Fun fact, Michael is my former intern. That's right, way back in the twentieth century at WR Radio. Michael Rosenbaum was my intern. And I got to give props to Michael when he was the intern making copies. He said he was going to Hollywood to become an actor and that he did, so I plot him. Anyway, here is Kamil Nan Johnny's normal speaking voice.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I did stuff that should have been a home run, and then it wasn't like eternals. You know, it was Oscar winning director, one of the craziest casts. You know, you had like legends, You had Salma Hayek, you had Angelina Njoli, you had new people who are amazing Brian Tyry Henry Barry Kiogen, who have both been nominated for Oscar.
Speaker 4: You thought it was just a slamm.
Speaker 2: Dum based on that Vulture list that I mentioned I did watch Ian Edward special. It's a nice club set. There are some individual jokes that are really strong. But if Variety thinks that's like one of the top ten of the year, as we used to say in Queen's I think Variety is on crack. Now Variety is not an individual person, but someone who was on crack that doesn't write for Vulture might think that Ian Edwards is one of the top of the year. So I'm really suspect that kamel On Gianni is the number one special of the year. It comes out December nineteenth. It won't make my list because my publicist wants my list this weekend so she can publicize it, so that'll be Saturday's episode. Oh, I did record the Billboard Top twenty five. The rest of the list is out. I looked at the list. I'm saving my reaction to it for some episodes. Right after Christmas. I could take a couple days off, you know, Christmas Day. I don't want to be sitting at the basement talking about comedy and plus, there won't be any news anyway, like any list. Some things I went, oh, good pick and some other things I went, that is crazy town. If you'd like to hear my thoughts now. It is released as a bonus episode for the paid subscribers, So for five bucks a month you get this show commercial free, plus the extra episodes that they occasionally sprinkle in. I owe you guys at DCNA. It's been a super busy month. But you can hear my reaction to Billboard's list in there right now. Otherwise get it for free on December twenty ninth, how are we doing on time? Oh my? The combination of I have no voice and the clock says, let's take a break out today On the eight hundred Pound Gorilla Rosie Jones triple Threat. On the Joe Rogan Podcast, Joe Rogan called President Trump a kid and revealed President Trump's text habits. Rogan said, he makes the text go big like USA is respected, respected all caps, and it makes the text in large. That's fun. I've never received a text from President Trump. Hannah Gasby will have a new show set to debut in March at the Melbourne Comedy Festival. The Evening Muse is described to be like a Tonight Show, but hosted by Hannah Gatsby, so it isn't anything like you'd expect. The Melbourne Comedy Festival runs from March twenty fifth through April nineteenth. Always fun to cover here in the basement. One of these years I will have to go Love Melbourne. Melbourne is a great city. For its fortieth anniversary, the twenty twenty sixth festival will include a one night only spectacular, The Big Four to Oh, celebrating the milestone, bringing together standout comedians from this year's program and legends from across the four decades. A bunch of local legends will be there. I don't think you would recognize any of these names unless you're, like, you know, extremely into Ozzie comedy. International stars hitting the festival include the UK's Sam Nickeresti, who won the twenty two twenty five Edinburgh Comedy Award for Best Show, Ian Smith, Chloe Petts, Joe Kent, Walter, Is Luke McQueen, Phil Wang, He's Great, Scotland's Connor Burns, Daniel Sloss and Larry Dean, and Ireland's David o'darty and Joanne McNally. From the US, Sam Jay, Abby Govinan and Zana Johnson. There are also international comedians from Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa, Denmark abbreviated d NK for some reason. Sophie Hawgin of the d NK will be there, Takashi Wakasugi from Japan and Tarag Hardikar from India. It's the Melbourne Comedy Festival coming up. Patton Oswald who's out there ruining Star Trek with his really awful Doug the Vulcan character, and the President has done nothing about this. I mean, the President is nothing but disappointing me today. Mister President, please make Star Trek great again? Have you seen the teaser art for Starfleet Academy, Mister President? Holy cow? I mean, I just want to say words that sound a lot like Jesus that have a JC in it, But you know I don't won't offend anybody, but boy, this Star Trek poster awful. And Paton Oswald has Dug the Vulcan ruining Star Trek. He was talking about AI and he said, AI is not going anywhere. We can't wish this stuff away because we invented it, So how do we find ways to work around it or make it more human? I like the rewards, but the rewards are only fun if you got it. It's almost like getting away with it. I got all the success from making things up from thin air. There's something beautiful about that, getting to sit down and come up with a joke out of nothing. It'll never get old for me. I've always set them and showed this for the money and the anecdotes. I want some really amazing stories, and when every part of the canvas covered, I want to be able to explore every corner of it. It changes you when you experience all this stuff. I would I have the Severdas story. Been meaning to get this one in. He was on social media talking about Mumbai's worsening air quality. He said it's reached a point where coughing has become redundant as his lungs have adapted. He was on Instagram. He filmed it in his living room and added a smoke filter for effect. Did He posted, Oh you think this is outside, No, this is what's happening inside you. Apparently Mumbai's air quality index has now touched the severe category. That's your comedy news for today. All right back around noon Eastern with the Comedy Survivors Selection Show. While I'm recording, I'm arguing with the AI to make new artwork. It has made artwork. You've seen it in the Facebook group Daily Comedy News podcast group. But I'm like, can you revise it? And the AI was like, no, I can't do that, and I'm like, you just did it. Ah yeah, but that was before I discovered the policy. All right, well this is a parody. Can you do it? And just it's so annoying sometimes the AI. Maybe Patton Oswald is right, except not about Star Trek. All Right, bye,