Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r h. Garden Line with Skip Richards.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as so many breathings to seep byways.
Speaker 3: Not a sum.
Speaker 2: Sun beamon.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, here we go, ready for another day, Ready for another day out in the garden. You're listening to the garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have a more bountiful garden and a more beautiful landscape. That's what this is all about. And it's not that hard. I like, I often like to say, you don't have a brown thumb. There's no such thing as a brown thumb. You have an uninformed thumb, and we'll try to inform it today. How about that if you'd like to give us a call to get a little information for your thumb. Seven to one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. Well, first of all, I just want to start off and say thank you to the folks side at Nature's Way yesterday. We had a great time out there. Thanks for everybody that came out too. I think, uh it was uh think I had a great time. We had a lot of different questions about a lot of different things. And we just kind of covered the whole gimmut. Nice prizes for folks that came out and registered to win. So thanks again, Nature's Way, we had a good time. By the way, Nature's Way every Friday still has their Fungal Friday, which means twenty percent off their fungal compost to give away four bags of the fine textured screen fungal compost. I mean that stuff is just black gold. You can use it for top dressing a lawn, It's excellent for that. You can use it in pretty much in anything. It's such a high quality compost. It's so finely screened. You can mix it into some potting soil to kind of give it a little boost. You could put it into the soil and beds, garden beds, I mean, an excellent way to use it. Mix it in a little bit. You know, whenever you do that, you're just moving nature forward faster. That's what it amounts to. In Nature's Way has quality quality resources of all types. Do you need mulches, you know, do you need certain types of bed mixes. I could just go on and on. Lots of quality stuff, you know, from vegetables for vegetables, for herbs for roses, the soils, the composts, the mulches, everything you're gonna need, absolutely Nature's Way resources. They're out there on the way to Conra up forty five or fourteen eighty eight from Magnolia comes in from your left. You just turn right over the railroad tracks, turn right on Surbridge Circle and it's it's right there. Makes it makes it so easy to get to Nature's Way. If you'd like to give them a call, the phone number is nine three six seven or two seven three one two zero zero nine three six two seven three one two zero zero. Out of Nature's Way, I said, Nature's Way moves nature forward. And to you what I mean by that out in the natural system, and we talked about this a group that was out there when I went out to Nature's Way. Out in the natural system, nature drops leaves on the ground, and those leaves slowly decompose in time, and earthworms come up and they make channels through the soil and they literally take a leaf, sort of wrap it up and bring it back down in the hole. So they take organic matter underground. Plus there are roots that are growing and dying in the soil over time, adding to the soil organic content. They're also opening up the soil as they push a little channel through to grow. And over time, you know, you do that for one hundred years and you really built some soil, it makes a big difference. It just gets richer and richer and richer. Well, so you move into your property wherever you live, and you got let's say you just have a heavy clay soil and it's just you know, just not good for growing things. Well, you can go in and overnight you can do what takes nature one hundred years to do by getting products in places like Nature's Way, for example, you put those products that are quality. Don't buy cheap stuff. There are places out there that sell products that are just not They're not made with the time and the technique that is required to create the best types of products for you. But you put that good quality product down and you could be gardening tomorrow. Someone who's asking me about growing azaleas and they have a heavy clay soil, and I said, they go, what do I need to amend the soil with? Well, I wouldn't amend the soil. I mean I would a little bit, put down some composts, mix it into the top four inches or so in the clay, and then get you a good bed mix and create a bed essentially on top of the ground I'm mounted, you know, bed and plant in that. And if that doesn't make sense, here's a here's a kind of I think helpful way to think about it. Look at it there, Look out there where you want to put the azalea, Go out and set it on the ground, and then bring in a bed around it. Do you see what I'm saying That the idea is the azalea is sitting on that poorly drained soil above it, and the bed is all around the azalea. Now, actually we don't do it that way. We put the bed on the ground and plant the azalea. But if you think of it that way, because in the questions, you know, they kept asking, well, how do I dig down and do this and that? And should I excavate some soil? No, that just puts the azalia down lower. Where it now is an excavated underground bathtub, that hole water and those plants won't like that. So whatever you're growing, whether it's an aziure or a vegetable garden or a flower bet or whatever, just make sure and take nature one hundred years forward quickly and create that perfect environment. And you can do that. We have great products for doing just that out on your lawns. A couple of things we need to be thinking about if you haven't done azimite this year. Azamite is a micro nutrient supplement, micronutrient supplement, so you put it out in very low quantities. Micronutrients are not needed in high quantities. In fact, you get too much in an imbalance and you can create problems. Just like with any nutrient asumite, you put out a low amount. You know, a forty four pound bag will cover six to twelve thousand square feet, goes a long way in vegetable gardens. I'd say put about ten pounds per thousand square feet. Ten pounds per thousand in a vegetable garden. Mix it in and then you have a bank account of those essential nutrients that are needed in just small trace amounts, and your plants are ready to go. It's not like you have to do it all every month. I mean, once a year's probably fine. If you want to do a soul test, see where things stand, and make your fertilizing decisions based on that that's also a good idea because everybody's yards a little bit different. But as might works and you can. You can find more information at Azmite Texas dot com azimite Texas dot com. When you're out in the fall. I talk to a number of people yesterday that we're asking questions about fertilizing the lawn. I got a lot of different lawn questions, and Nitrophs has made things really easy by creating what they call their Texas three Step. Now on the dance floor, you do the two step right on a lawn, you dance the three step, and the three steps are nitropos Fault Special. That's a win a riser fertilizer designed for turf grass going into the cool season. It makes them more cold hardy. It makes sure turf come out stronger in the spring. Second step Nidrivius barricade. That is a pre emergent herbicide. You put it down and you water it in follow the label. Watered in and it prevents the cool season weeds which will be germinating soon from coming up. Once we get a cold front through here, some cool rain coming down those weed seeds. The temperature of the soil is right and they take off, and you don't want to wait until after they're up and growing. You want to get them right at the beginning, or before they start. Nine to FIUs eagles. The third step, that's a turf fungicide. It soaks into the tissues of the grass plant. It can even be taken up by the roots of the grass. Eagle can. And then when brown patch arrives to make those ugly brown circles in your lawn, there's something they're stopping it. If you wait until the circles are there, that means the leaves have already rotted off the runners and you're going to have a brown circle until spring. Do it beforehand. So now the three step I just was as I was saying this, I was just thinking about something. Actually, it's not necessarily in that order. In fact, I would say the most important thing to do right now is the barricade and the eagle turf, and the fund the fertilizing. Yes, you can do it now. You could do it in late September if you wanted to, but you're not trying to get ahead of anything on that fertilizing. You just want to get it done soon. So the grass has plenty of time to take it up for things cool off a lot. But the barricade and the eagle turf fungicide. Like I use the baseball analogy, you got to start swinging before the ball gets to the plate, right when the when the pitcher lets go of the ball, that batter had better be ready to start that bat around or it'll be too late. It'll already be in the catcher's myth. Well, let's just put it this way. When it comes to weeds, when it comes to diseases, the ball has already left the pitcher's hand. It's time to swing. And that would be eagle tar fungicide and nitrofuss barricade. And then of course get that that third step on there. Now, can you put them all on one day? Absolutely, don't put them in the same hopper. Put out one, then put out the next one, then put out the next one. Yes, you can put them all in on one day and water them in and that'll be just fine. Time for me to take a little break. I'll be right back. Welcome back, folks, Glad to have you back. Oh my gosh, I cannot wait to get out and get some things done outside it's dark outside right now. By the way, if you're if your neighbor's lights are off, go bang on the door, tell them they're missing garden line and they'll they'll really appreciate that. But I'm looking forward to getting outside and getting some things done. This is I keep telling you guys. Don't look at the at the temperature, look at the calendar. Don't look at the thermometer, look at the calendar. What does that mean? That means we got to get stuff done now. There is a frost coming someday, right it is coming. And the more you can get things done ahead of time, the better off you are. How about this. You want to plant, You want to plant in the fall because falls the best planting season of the year period, no question about that. It's the best other good seasons, yes, the best fall. Now, if you're going to do that, you got to prepare the soil. So get that soil ready to go, take your time and get it done.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Landscaper's Pride has some super quality products. Landscaper's Pride has been around this part of the Neck of the Woods, as I say, for a long time, and they have been making quality products here locally in the East Texas area Southeast Texas area. Landscaper's Pride has things like black velvet molts superride quality goes on top of the soil beautifully black, not dyed, not diet it's that velvety rich look that just comes naturally because of the way they make it. They've got planting mix, which is an outstanding product. It's a locally sourced pine bark with some sandy loam and organics and it's really suitable for pretty much any growing conditions, helping your plants to thrive. So it's a very versatile product, the Landscaper's Pride Planting Mix. You can go to Landscaperspride dot com. Follow them on social media too. By the way, lots of information on the website. You'll find all the stores near you, and there are a lot of them widely available here in this area. And as they say at Landscaper's Pride, let's grow together. It's a good good slogan, good point, good idea too. By the way, next Saturday, I should have the little alert sounds like dinning, didding, did ding ding ding. Next Saturday, I'm going to be out at Enchanted Forest Garden Center out in the Richmond Rosenberg area. Actually, if you are in Richmond, heading toward sugar Land Way up towards Houston direction and Channa Forest is off to the right on FM twenty seven fifty nine. Now, I'll be there answering gardening questions and just pretty much the regular thing. You know, Let's come, let's talk, let's bring samples, let's bring pictures, and let's just help you have a more bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. I'll be there. I'm just walking around to for those of you who you know, want to talk about some particular kinds of plants, but mainly I'll be hanging out at a table, providing some giveaways and just having a good time with everybody. We love to do that, and I hope all of you down Fort ben County and really that whole region down there, come on out and see me next Saturday at Nature's Way. That's where I was yesterday at Enchanted Forest, and I'll be there from eleven thirty to one thirty. Eleven thirty to one thirty Enchanted Forest. I'll be doing some giveaways of Medina products, and I have a few other surprises to give away there as well, So come on out and see me now in Chanty Forest again on FM twenty seven fifty nine. They are all the veggies for fall are in. So if you are thinking about planning any veggie and fall, you got to go by there and get some. They've got color galore. I mean it's everywhere around there, beautiful, beautiful fall color. If you're looking for pumpkins to decorate, if you're looking for moms, of course they've got that. New shipment of trees has come in with holly's and oaks and maples and one of my favorite trees, the China fringe. It is a compact version of other yard trees. You know, we have big giant shade trees that go across two lots in our modern lot sizes, and then we have Chinese fringe, you know, twenty five feet wide. After a long time, it takes it a while to get that big, but it's a it's a moderate sized tree, uh and a really beautiful spring bloomer. They've got shrubs both for shade and for sun. If you have not seen the Talibura pumpkins, that's one of my favorite things that those are just gorgeous gorgeous and again they're all an enchanted forest. Hey, here's a website I please write this down and go check it out. It is awesome and there is a lot of good information there. It is enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. Enchanted Forest Richmond, t X dot com. You're listening to garden Line and if you would like to give me a call seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t H. It's time to put out your fire ant baits for fall. Fire Ant bait is put out at a super low rate. The idea is not to dump it on a mound, but to sprinkle it everywhere because roving ants are everywhere. Fire Ant workers are out there looking all over your yard and gardens for food, and you sprinkle the bait at a super low rate everywhere and they take it back, feed it to the colony, feed it at the queen, and it does its job. It is the least toxic it is, and there's organic and synthetic versions of it both. But is the best way to control fire ants, and this is a season to do it now. You can find it at all your ACE hardware stores. In fact, ACE is going to have more than one brand of fire ant bait, and they work. You always want to use fresh bait. If you got some in the garage from last year, just get rid of it, spread it out. But it's not going to do any good. Get you some fresh bait, or it won't. Depending on how old it is, it may not do much good. Get you some fresh new bait. Because think of it this way. If I made a plate for your lunch today and it was about five days from now that you decided to get that plate, do you think you'd be interested in needing it. No, and fireut bait goes bad, it gets rancid and the ants aren't interested in it. Gets you some fresh bait. They have every fertilizer for fall, so while you're there, pick up your fall fertilizers. You hear me talk about a fertilizer, it's going to be there at a hardware store. They've got things to control pests and insects and diseases. They're just the place to go. As the slogan says, ACE is the place. There's forty stores around the Greater Houston area, and so it's easy to find one near You go to the ACE hardware dot com website, find the store locator, and you are in business. That makes it really, really easy. It's nice to be able to go in a place where pretty much everything you're going to need is already there and waiting for you. I was out and about a little bit yesterday, and you know, I've been working on my flower beds one at a time, getting them in shape. I had a front flower bed where I had an old nutsedge battle that I just about have finished and won. It takes a while, but I know how to do it. By the way, if you want to learn how to control nutsedge, go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com. There's a couple of free publications that you can read, and if you'll follow them, you will win that battle. If you have followed them, you will lose that battle. Nut's edge is an all in or not war. You either do the things you have to do on time regularly, so on and so on, or you're just wasting your time. But you can win anyway. But just about one of those, I've got some other beds where I'm about to put down some more organic materials to work them into the soil and get them ready to plan. I've got some number of perennials I need to get in the ground. I'm tired of watering them in the containers, you know, I need to get them in the ground. Anyway, that's all there, Hey, Spring Creek Feed is up on twenty nine seventy eight FM twenty nine seventy eight up in the Magnoia area, just north and little east of tombul Now Sprint Creek Feed Center. Beautiful place. You walk in and you think you've walked into a boutique or something. I mean, so beautiful inside. They the staff is so friendly, they're so courteous, so willing to help. I always like going in there. And when you walk in and you're a gardener, you're going to find fertilizers from the main lines I talk about here, things you know, things like Nelson Microlife, nitrofoss They carry all that. They carry all the things you need to control pest weeds and diseases. Also, if you are a senior citizen or military or maybe FFA or four H kido that's raising livestock, there is a discount for you, so ask about that. If you need something special ordered, they're willing to do that. So just tell them, you know, if they don't have something you want, we'll tell them. They'll get it in. They're very good about that. They even have a delivery service available. So Spring Creek Feed again communiately located there right in Magnoia on our FM Magnolia area on FM twenty nine seventy eight, nine seventy eight, just minutes away from ground Parkway and Highway to forty nine. Makes it easy to get in and out. And I promise you you'll go in and you'll you'll be impressed by that place. Gorgeous, beautiful and again really helpful folks coming around to help you out. We are. I've been talking about a number of different things over the past few weekends, and I've got a couple of things I'd like to continue with and I'm gonna take a little break here, but I do want to kind of give you some tips. I think that will help you kind of get a head start on successful fall planting. We don't want to let the best planning season of the year get by without us doing what we need to do to have success. And it's not that hard, So just stay tuned. If you'd like to get on the board, give Chris A calls one three two one two kt r H and you can meet our first s up when we come back. Hey, welcome back to Guardline folks. Good to have you with us today. You know, I talk about microlife fertilizers a lot. In fact, I was visiting with Mike Sarrant and some of the team out there at Nature's Way yesterday. They were also out there, and their goal is to provide a fertilizer that is natural, that is loaded with microbes, because microbes rule the world, and when it comes to plants, microbes definitely rule the world because your plants have symbiotic relationships with microbes. Is that too much too fancy talk on this hour of the morning. Basically, what it means is microbes work with the roots. They help the plants take up nutrients, They help the plants fight against disease. They coat the surfaces of plants to prevent the bad guys from getting in and getting an infection done on the plants. And that is why microlife brown Patch is made. Microlife brown Patch has a little lower nitrogen, a little bit higher phosphorus than their summer versions. The green bags do the nitrofries. Micro life brown patch. I can't even say words this morning. They basically are releasing those nutrients as those materials decomposed. So you want to get them down now in WATERMN. Get them in WATERMN. Splash that stuff around with some water. Then you know, I would recommend putting the microlife brown patch down and then following up right away, go ahead and put down microbe grow and bioenoculant. Sixty three different beneficial microbe strains, and you know we can go through these. There's Bacillus subtlest, which is an anti fungal strain. I'm very familiar with that particular one. There is. There are strains of fungi in there, Trachoderma that help fight root rots and diseases and whatnot. There are well, hair's one speaking of long words for early in the morning, basillis Amela likophacians. How's that?
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 3: That that be sells that bacteria. It affects the plant and causes the plant to become more disease resistant. The plant changes the way it grows in response to that fungus being right in that cool fungus bacteria being around. That's all in micro grow inoculant. Sixty three different strains. Put out the brown patch, put out the micro grow inoculant. Watermend really well. And when you do, you're given the soil the help that it needs. You're given the plants the help that they need to have good health and good success. That's what it's all about. Microlifefertilizer dot Com is the website if you want to find out where to get it, or I can just tell you this. Feed stores, garden centers, ace hardware stores, Southwest Fertilize. All those places carry Microlife. We can go out to the phones now and head to Katie and talk to Joseph. Good morning, Joseph, Good morning. How are you doing today. I'm well, sir, I'm well, Thank you. Good So.
Speaker 5: I'm noticing and it's probably because of the time of the year that my grass is starting to turn brown, and I guess that means that it's starting to go to sleep for the for the winner. If that's the case, should I reduce the amount of times.
Speaker 6: I'm watering per week? Or should I stop watering altogether? Not altogether, because we're still in the nineties. If you go to my website Gardening with skip dot com and you download my lawn care schedule. It's a multicolored chart from January to December. The blue row across is for watering. And if you look at that, I've put the historic average amount of water per week a lawn needs in the Greater Houston area. So for October, we're down to one half inch a week that's being used by a lawn. Now that's in the absence of rain. So let's say this week we got an inch of rain, then next week you would you wouldn't need to water because it's not all gone by the end of the week. But we're cutting it down to half an inch in October and November, and then December and January. We essentially in February, we essentially aren't watering unless we just go through an extended drought and some unusually warm, cool winter temperatures.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, well, thank you very much for that. I appreciate it, you bet. And it's all free there, you can download it. It's got the fertilizers, it's got information on air raiding and mowing and whatnot, both organic and synthetic products on there.
Speaker 3: Thanks Joseph, appreciate your call. You you have a good Sunday. Yep, that schedule's there. I keep telling you guys about the schedule. And every time I go out and do an appearance and visit with people, I'm surprised how many people like, No, you have a website. Gosh, I only talk about it eight hundred times a day on garden Line. And it's free. It's free. How can you can't talk me down on that price? Everything on the website right now is free. Let's see. I wanted to talk about RCW. I mentioned this yesterday, but fall is the best time to plant woody ornamentals. Period period period. You put a shrub in the ground October November and it has months before it gets hot again next next May or June. And so if you do it now that it's going to survive better. It just makes sense and it's going to do better. It's not just a matter does it live or die. It's a matter of how does it perform? And so plant them now. RCW Nursery's got some really good deals going on. They right now. They as a matter of fact, have a discount on shrubs that is very significant, very impressive. If you go to the RCW Nurseries. Follow them on Facebook. That's a great way to do it. They got a website, RCW Nursery dot Com. I like to follow them on Facebook because it's it's kind of like what's going on right now out there, you know. They got the vegetables and stuff. They've got beautiful southern magnolia's out there. They have some beautiful burrows, lace bark elms, for example, that are ready to go. They also, by the way, this isn't a shade tree, but they've got citrus in with fruit on it, and it looks really, really really good. Beautiful cherry laurels. That's a native Southeastern native plant that is evergreen and really looks good. So go out there and take advantage of that. You will find a lot of good prices right now shrubs right now twenty percent off at RCW Nurseries, including for those deep shaded areas things like the gold dust to Cuba. RCW Nurseries dot Com is the website. They are located where Tamba Parkway Highway two forty nine comes into belt Way eight. Makes it really easy to get to. Let's head out to spring.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk to Jody Hey Jody, oh.
Speaker 9: Money, Well, I have a backlass and my friend up okay, and I have a lot like it's by the way, okay, very easy to pull. Have one of the little little shrawa on the top. When I walk on the barner, you can see a lot of you know, uh.
Speaker 8: Seats, almost ships the seats.
Speaker 9: I went to Ace to ask, so, well, let's say I have some mothers. You know, I cannot spray whatever. I have to use my hand to pull. I can pull three days more in ten twelve hours, so hard. So I like to ask you a specialist, do you know what kind of way that is the one he doesn't know. And also I like to know we have anything can spray just like spind a way really pull out. Okay, quite a little little bit from m.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, Jody, I I can't tell you just based on that description. Are you able to take a picture with your phone and email it to me?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he told me I did a grape of my eyepid. Yeah, okay, So you want me still.
Speaker 8: Seeing you the pictures?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do, because if it get up close and check your pictures before you send them, make sure they're in good sharp focus. But if you can. You can even pull a weed up and set it on the table and take a picture so it's easier to see, you know, the details of the weed, just in sharp focus. And if you'll do that, if you have more than one weed, you can send me more than one picture and let me look at it and I'll respond to you, because I don't want to recommend something not knowing for sure which weed you have. So I'm going to put you on hold, Jody, and uh, Chris, my producer, is going to pick it up, and he will give you an email address and you can send me those Oh he did, okay, good good, Well there you go.
Speaker 9: So right now I can go sometime to weed and there under the lights, take a picture, actually take some pictures, but another very focused.
Speaker 8: You know, I've took.
Speaker 11: All about you on the yad.
Speaker 9: You know, Okay, okay, So I'm going to say and then h do I need to call you back again or you can't answer.
Speaker 3: Or how I can answer on the air, but I probably just enter you in the email because you know, the recommendations. You know, the product names sometimes are hard to you know, they're hard to understand when you just say them. And if you take it out. It's a little bit easier for people.
Speaker 9: So all right, Judy, thank you so much, lovely bye.
Speaker 3: Thank thank you for calling. Appreciate that very much. You're listening to Gardenline our phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. And it's guess what it is time for me to take another break, but I will be right back at a time like then. You talk about quality home, quality home products. That is where you would go to get your generative generator, the automatic standby hold home generators. They've got those, and they are Their customer service is unbelievable, unbelievable. I mean, I've bragged on them many times about the kind of awards they win, and it's just it's just hands down, there's no place like it. Now. If you're an electrician or a plumber and you are looking for a career, well, this is a great company to work with. They do competitive pay, they do comprehensive medical dental vision, They do retirement plans with four oh one K matching, paid holiday time off, training programs, a lot of opportunities really to grow in your career, and I would recommend you give them a call or just go online. Do this, go online to Quality TX dot com. Quality t X dot com. Again, this is electricians and plumbers. If you are interested in customer service, if you love a good company to work for, and everybody I've talked to a Quality Home loves working there. Really, I've always been surprised at that, you know, not that I wouldn't expect it, but just like everybody talks about the company in a way that is so positive, and that's the kind of place you want to work for. That's kind of place where you can build a career, especially if you were geared toward providing customers with the kindest service and attention. The Quality Home is known for Quality t X dot com. Let's go out to Matt in the Woodlands. Hey, Matt, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 12: Hey, thanks Skid, good morning. The question is about a couple of blueberry bushes that I pointed in the summer in a sunny spot in my backyard and as the seasons change, it's not getting the sunlight that it used to, and I was just wondering what your definition of full sun for blueberries would be ideal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you could, if you could give blueberries six hours, that would be adequate. If it is a little less, they will grow there. The production starts to go down as you get less and less and less light. So it's not there's not a black and white line there, but six hours a good direct sun would I would aim for that, and more is better, of course, but that, yeah, that would be kind of a rough guess.
Speaker 12: Okay, So it's it's about four hours with full SOGN and two hours of the sun shake nix and that that'll.
Speaker 3: Work, okay for this time. You'll get some berries out of that. You'll get some berries. Yeah, that's for sure. Great, Thank you, thanks for the call, man, I appreciate that. Alright. Yeah, it's a you know, in let me just put it this way. In nature, there's not a lot of black and white lines. They just aren't. And we have to give our best estimate, you know. I tell you, well, you need to use a fertilizer with a four one two or three one two ratio of nutrients. And that's a that is a very good general guide for vast majority of situations. But everything can be a little different. And and like we say, well to grow tomato, you need les six hours of sign that's another one these six hours of sign but you know, if you get five hours and fifty nine minutes, it's not a problem. But the tomato would like to have more than six. But I see that a lot in nature. It's just you know, it's a it's a percentage game kind of thing. So you know, we try to give you black and white answers to make it simple. But just remember that it's gray and fuzzy around the edges, that is for sure. That's how that works. Now is the time, by the way, I'm talking about fault fertilizing. But I'll tell you now it would be a great time to get your lawn airer rated aeration, the proper aeration. Unlike a lot of little rental aerator units, a good aerator pops plugs of dirt out of the ground and drops them on the surface, creating a hole. Doesn't just squeeze a hole open into the soil. It pops out a plug, leaves it on the surface, and then they follow with a compost top dressing, or they should of high quality, very fine texture composts, and you know, not pieces of wood. The lawnmar is going to knock everywhere. Grain par has got the equipment and the products to do just that and Greenpro Services basically a forty five mile from Magnolia area. So let me make it simple. It's basically the northwest quadront of Houston with Interstate forty five and Interstate ten being the two lines. And so if you are up in Magnolia of course, if you're in Spring or Cypress or the Woodlands or Conroe up that way, if you are north and a little to the west like magnoliaan in Montgomery, or if you're down Ti tan Katie, West Houston, Central Houston, you know, just northwest area. That's their area. Now they do a free listen to this. They will aerate your lawn for free if you purchase a compost top dressing service, so they'll come in and do the aeration for free. Then they you put on the compost and you need to purchase at least two yards minimum of composts. And you're going to want to use that anyway, but you need two yards minimum for this free narration deal. Prices start at five seventy five plus tax. It's a very special quality equipment that does it right, not near the mess of a do it yourself thing on aeration in compost top dressing, that's for sure, and quality compost is bulky to haul around, so there is a charge for that. But I'm telling you, if you've got a loan that's getting them that's struggling, especially with the clay soil and some compaction and issues like that, compost dot top dressing works wonders and I would recommend you give a call two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three two eight one three five one four seven three three, or go to the website. Go to the website and check this out. They got they have pictures of what they do on their video what they do on there. It is greenpro dot net, greenpro dot net and the number one more time two eight one three five one four seven three three. So you're listening to the Guardline instead. I wanted to talk a little a little bit about some of the fall planting tips. It is important when you put a plant in the ground that when you pull it out of that container. Now I'm talking about woody ornamentals here, not necessarily like a tomato plant so much, but or a broccoli plant, but a woody ornamental plant. When you put those in the ground, trees and shrubs, they're always going to have roots wrapping around the outside of the container because the root hits aside and has to go somewhere, and it starts circling and it goes around. When you put a planet out of the ground, cut those roots. I know that's hard to do, but you need to do it because those roots are not going to unwind underground. And if it's a small enough container, like let's say you have a gallon container and you've got a little spaghetti sized root going around the outside, Well, in time, that spaghetti sized roots going to be the size of your wrist or your arm, and the trunk is going to be, you know, getting even larger and will long before they reach that size. The root will now be wrapped around, strangling the trunk. And I've seen so many situations where eight years down the line, ten years down the line, plants are struggling and it's all because that wasn't done. If you cut the roots, here's what will happen. That cut root will branch and start to grow out into the soil naturally, and normally that is what it does. Just like if you cut a branch off on a tree, what happens when you cut a branch off, you get sprouts out the end of that cut off branch, the takeoff growing roots. Do the same thing underground and for what on a mountains, just do that. I've used you know, for bigger roots, I've used handprinters, but basically a little box cutter knife, you know, a little one inch blade. Just slice vertically from top to bottom through that cylinder of roots that came out of the pot in three or four places going around it. It works, and it is very important to do that. I would highly recommend you to do that. And that's just a tip for success with planting. Now we're planning during the fall season ideally, but anytime you need to cut the roots, go ahead and do it. Just water a little extra as you're helping it get established. But that is a tip to help you have success. Well, here we go. We've just put an hour in the books. Man, that went fast. Holy all right, Well, I'll be right back. We've got a lot more to talk about. I can't wait to visit with you. Give us a call if you want to get ahead of the line. I just called her in a break here seven one three two one two KTRH seven one three two one two KTRH. We'll get right to your calls when we come back. And what do you want to talk about? Talk about vegetables or herbs or flowers or houseplants or let's see, we can't talk about how to get your spouse to do more work out in the garden and escape. I can't help you with that one, but pretty much everything else. What a cultural We'll be happy to visit it.
Speaker 13: All right.
Speaker 3: I want to remind you next Saturday, I'm going to be at Enchanted Forest in Richmond Rosenberg area right in Channet for US nursery. It is a wonderful place to be. You just got to go there. They are loaded up with fall color and they'll have it all next next week. Ready to go, come on out and see me. Make a note on your calendar. Eleven thirty to one thirty Enchanted for us next weekend.
Speaker 14: Had the feeling that there's something strange about reality. There is Stuff to Blow Your Mind, an iHeart podcast that dives deep into the mysteries of the universe with more than twenty five hundred episodes.
Speaker 1: Ready to listen.
Speaker 14: Stuff to Blow your Mind will guide you through the strange, the bizarre, and the mind blowing. Listen to stuff to blow your mind on America's number one podcast network, iHeart, open your free iHeart app and search stuff to Blow your mind to start listening.
Speaker 15: We need your help to protect your right to AM radio in your car. AM is always there in times of need. With the confirmation for our community, the overwhelming the majority of legislators support a bill to keep AM radio in cars.
Speaker 1: The time is running out.
Speaker 16: Please text the two letters a M to five two eight eighty six and ask Congress to bring this bill to the floor for a vote. Now text a M to five two eight eighty six.
Speaker 3: Message in data rates may apply if you may receive up to four messages. A wet tex stop to stop a message from the station.
Speaker 17: Starting Stronger starts an AutoZone where they've got battery solutions in the form of free battery testing, free battery charging, and replacement batteries that fit your needs. That's what makes them America's number one battery destination. Get in the Zone AutoZone from.
Speaker 3: The Classic Buick GMC Traffic Center.
Speaker 18: This report is sponsored by All State. Some people just know you could save money on car insurance by checking all state first, those people are probably saving a car load of cash right now. So what are you waiting for? Check all state first for a quote? Today, you're in good hands with.
Speaker 3: All State portions of the following program. We're prerecorded.
Speaker 1: Badline with scamp Ricord's.
Speaker 2: Crazy Here.
Speaker 3: Gas a trim.
Speaker 2: Just watch you as so many bo.
Speaker 19: Thanks to Soup Hot crazy, Gay Gass not sorry, Glass.
Speaker 2: Salmon downe Hey, welcome, good morning, good morning, good morning on a good Sunday morning.
Speaker 3: I hope you got at least one eye open and a cup of coffee in your hand get rolling. Today's gonna be a good day. It is going to be a good one. I'm looking forward to it. As a matter of fact. If you'd like to give a skull here on Garden Line, that's what we're here for to answer your gardening questions. Seven one three two on to kt right seven one three two one two kt r H. If you've been out to plants for all seasons, that's the garden center right there on Tombol Parkway FM two forty nine. It is uh, let's do it this way. If you're heading to Tomball on two forty nine, going out toward Tomball, exit Luetta, across over Luetta, and then it's right there on the right hand side. It's just right there on two forty nine. Makes it easy to get in, easy get out, and when you get in there, you're just going to find the kind of expertise you need. You know, one of the most important things in choosing a garden center is choosing one that knows what they're talking about, that has people that are helpful and that are knowledgeable, and they can direct you right. That is so important, and that is exactly a description of Plants for All Seasons. It's a full service retail garden. So it has been family inn and operated since nineteen seventy three. They are truly lawn and garden experts. Now you can go in there with pictures, you can go in there samples and say what is this, What's wrong with this? You know, however you want to go about it, they can help you. They can point you to the right things that you need. The website is Plants for All Seasons dot com. The phone number you're gonna write this down two eight one three seven six sixteen forty six two eight one three seven six sixteen forty six. When you go in right now, you're going to find a new shipment of strawberries that have lended out there. And the best time to plant strawberries is in the fall. This I almost say that again. The best time to plant strawberries is in the fall. And the reason for that is is it gives them all winter to get roots established and they will grow during our mild, warm winters here. Now, once we get to about February, you could even start having ballooms and berries depending on the temperature. If you get a little frosty night, just throw a cloth over them for the night. You're not protecting the plant, you're protecting the blooms. But I have grown strawberries in this area and I have had I've had berries in February, late February, early March already and they'll go all the way into May. So it's a great plant to grow. But don't wait till spring to plant them. You will not have the same results. Get them now, Get them now, and they are stocked up there. Of course, they got a lot of other stuff. Plants for all seasons. Always is loaded up on all kinds of beautiful things far for the season, like the landscape color and herbs and vegetables and so on. They're all good to go. And boy do they ever have plenty of different kinds of soils and blends and composts and mulches and whatnot. And you know, you got to go home with bags of brown stuff if you're going to go home with something green, because you've got to prepare that foundation. And plants for all seasons can help you do just exactly that. You're listening to Garden Line. Our phone number is seven to one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. By the way, I was talking about brown stuff and I was mentioning yesterday, I was talking about Ciena Maltch. Cianamultch is the place to go to get everything. Let's put this way. It's the place to go to set the stage for success in your garden. And they're down south if you live down you know, near Highway six and two eighty eight Roach Sharon area. Ciana Maultch is located on FM five twenty one and they have premium hardwood mulches in bulk, you know, native hardwoods, double grounds, two inch screened. They have beautiful natural dark colors instead of just dyed. They have also in bulk things like Landscaperish Pride, black velvet molts that I've been telling you about, the rose soils, the organic composts of malt, soil, compost sand, gravel, and wonderful stone. They'll deliver within about twenty miles of the area while you're there. Part of the brown stuff. Grab those quality furtilizers I talk about on guarden Line. They carry the best absolute, but they carry the best. It's themals, microlife Asamite, Nelson's turf Star, airloom soils, nitrofost products, landscapers, Pride, Nelson, plant food, Medina. All of it is there when you go home from Cienamult or when you call them to deliver, they'll deliver within about twenty miles for a fee. When you call either way, you have set the stage for success with whatever quality plants you then bring in to put in the ground. I can't stress enough the importance of brown stuff before green stuff, and Ciena Maltch is the go to place for brown stuff, especially for those of you down around Quell Valley, Manville, ro Sharon, Meridian, First Colony, Sweetwater Pearland, sun Creek Estate, Sandy Point. Do I need to go on? Okay, well, Palmona Lake, Olympia, Iowa, Colony CI and Implementation. Yeah, that's it. That's your hometown. And you're lucky if you live down there because you got them right in your backyard. Let's go out to Humble now and we're going to talk to Lawrence. Hey, Lawrence, welcome to gardmline.
Speaker 20: Hey, good more and Skip.
Speaker 21: Thanks for taking McCall.
Speaker 3: You're listening in today. We've got plenty of things we can talk about. That is for sure. It is time to do your fall fertilization. I'm gonna say it again, it is time to do your fall fertilization. We are in the big middle of October, and October is a big month to get that done. Nit Fross has made it easy because they have a three step program. You're going to dance a two step on the dance floor and the three step on the lawn. And here's how the three step goes. You have Nitrofoss Fall special fertilizer designed for fall. It's called a winteriser because it's helped it's made to help these plants, the grass plants get ready we say hardened off, meaning they're ready for cold weather. They've got good carbohydrate reserves. That's like nafreeze in the plant. Nitrofoss fall special does that. It also helps a plant come out stronger in spring. Two. By the way, nite frous barricade is a second step barricade is a pre emergent herbicide. You put it down, You have to water it in because it needs to get war washed down into the soil surface where it sticks to the soil, and when a weed seed tries to come through it said no, no, no, no, no, not in this lawn. You're not. The third step nitrophius eagle eagle turf fungicide. You put it down, you water it in. The plant can take it up even through the roots, and it goes in systemically. And now that plant has this product inside of it that is fighting against diseases, kind of like when you take an antibiotic, you've got it in you, and the diseases that may be in you trying to infact, you know, cause problems, the antibiotic is fighting them. That's how Nitroposus egle tour fungicide works in the plant. It moves inside and It says no to the brown patch and to the take all root rot that do occur in the fall. Very important to get these down asaph. The earlier in October we do it the better, because you never know, here comes a colfront and a little bit of rain, and the chickweed and hen bet and clover and carpet weed and cleavers and all the other or cool season weeds begin to sprout, and we want to get the barrigate down ahead of them. The brown patch begins to show up, and we want to get the eagle down ahead of it. Three products, three steps fall special fertilizer, barricade, pre emergent eagle fundside. You're going to find nitrofoss products at enchanted gardens down in Richmond, Shades of Texas up in the woodlands, plans for all seasons on Tomball Parkway, D and D feed up in Tomball too, by the way, Plantation Ace Hardware down in Richmond are just all examples of places where you can find these nitrofoss products. Excuse me, something in my throat this morning. I'm not sure what that's about. You're listening to guard Line. I wanted to spend a little bit of time talking about fruit trees this morning. You know, fruit trees can be planted at any time of the year. It used to be that we got all our fruit trees bear root, and so we planted them in late winter. That's when bear root is dug and shipped and sold. Planted and typically January, maybe some February, depending on where you live. And bear root fruit trees are fine, you can still do that. But container grown fruit trees, those are sold year around, and fall is a good time to plant them. Listen, fruit, it's not just enornamental. It's a fruiting plant. But the same things I've been saying about trees and shrubs, woody ornamentals apply to fruit trees and vines, ambushes, so grapes and blueberries for example, Yeah, all of that. If you plant them in the fall, they get a head start. If they have circling roots, you need to cut the roots on the outside, and that, by the way, that includes blueberries. Blueberries you won't see the big circling roots like you do on other fruit. But it's a hair like matted root system and it benefits from slicing through those outer roots with a bock cutter blade. And I on a blueberry, I do it in about four places all around the plant, and that will help it establish better. I was in a blueberry orchard one time and they weren't thriving. We sent and grabbed a plant and kind of pulled on it, and it came out of the ground and there were a few roots at the top of the root ball going out in the soil, and the rest of it look like an upside Well, you look like the cylinder that came out of the pot, and it says they didn't cut those roots on the outside didn't establish well. So do that, make sure and do that. It is important with fruit that you give it as much sunlight as you can. Sun on leaves makes carbohydrates carbohydrates or sugars that make the fruit sweet and help a plant set fruit buds. Sun sun sun very important on fruit. Secondly, does the plant need a pollinating variety? Some fruit like figs, the standard figs we grow here in this area don't need a pollinator. There's other figs that do, but we don't grow those here. Let's see what Peaches do not need a pollinator. Nectarines do not need a pollinator, Apples do. Most pears do. And blueberries. If you want them to make the biggest berries, the best yield, give them a pollinator because in a okay nerd fun fact, do you know in a blueberry there's like thirty to sixty seeds and there's a little soft seeds. We just chump through them, don't even know they're there. Each seed releases hormones that form the fruit around that seed. So if you have an apple that has one hole of that those five seed sections, and an apple one of them doesn't have live seed, it's going to be a sunken inside of the apple, it'll be lopsided because it needed those seeds. So with the blueberry, every seed you get pollinated makes a bigger blueberry, So it makes sense. Can a blueberry grow without a pollinator? Most of them can, but they won't produce as well and the berries won't be as big. Give them pollinator. Check it out. Good garden centers can tell you whether it needs that or not. And you know you got to You gotta have both. What do they say you can't raise cattle if you shoot the bull. Well, when it comes to fruit trees, if you want to have fruit, some kinds of fruit, you got to have that second boliny or variety in order to have success. All right, we're gonna go to the phones now and talk to Steve in Spring. Hey, Steve, welcome to garden line and how are we doing this morning? Well, sir, well, how can we help you today?
Speaker 10: My yard, Saint Augustine, it's like sporadically turning dead and it looks like from the top down.
Speaker 3: Okay, and so it's kind of erratic, irregular patches.
Speaker 10: Well in the front mainly where the sun hits it all the time.
Speaker 3: Now where there's shade trees, it's it's good, but it's.
Speaker 10: The front yard, and like I said, it's uh, just kind of yellowish dead towards the top and working its way down to the bottom.
Speaker 3: Okay. Well, certainly water is one of the first things we think about, and in sun the demands are higher. So if the same amount of water and shade and sun, the sun may not do well and the shade may do well because of that demand issue. Good soakings. You know, when you water, it's not how often and all that. I recommend watering infrequently with a good deep soaking. But that's possibility number one. Number two, it may be a disease. There's a disease called take all root rot that can affect Saint Augustine and it rots the roots. And if you kill roots, then the plant looks drop stressed. So the same water issue is happening, but it's because the plant roots are dying from the disease. So it could be one of those two things. If it's only primarily happening like adjacent to or starting adjacent to a sidewalk or driveway or some other masonry, then chinchbugs or possibility. We are way too late for worrying about chinchbugs right now, so I don't correct unless it's started back in July. I don't think it's hinchbugs. I think take all root rot or a watering issue. Maybe what's going on.
Speaker 10: Well, it can't be watering because as I water the heck out of it every two days, maybe three, just depending on what it looks like.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, you know you heard me talk about natrofas eagle turfund side for bron patch and take all root rot. You may want to give that a try. Put some of that out now. There's a several different ingredient products that can fight take all root rot. The eagle is one of them. If you go on line to gardening with skip dot com my website, you will find the lawn pest disease and weed management schedule and if you go over to October November, you'll see take all listed twice there, once in October, once in November. There's a list of products for it. And you need to get them down. I would get them down now and watered in right away, and then I would.
Speaker 19: Go it again and.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 10: I put my file fall fertilizer down yesterday. So is that okay to put something down for the root rot just right away?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know you need you need to not delay when it goes off a little bit. That root rot is going to be attacking. And a lot of these products for root rot are systemic. They move into the plant. Milot butte iil, which is what's an eagle, moves into the grass plant. Azoxystrobin is in other products. It moves into the plant, and those those are two of the better ones for fighting uh take all root rot. There's actually if they're a chemical that can do it. But just get them down and then be ready about a month later do it again.
Speaker 22: Uh.
Speaker 3: And that you may want to come back. And also if it's been a significant problem, you may want to also come back in spring. And that's also on my schedule for takeof. You got to get on that one. That is the worst of all our diseases of the lawn. Brown patch makes ugly circles. It looks ugly all winter and then it just regreens in spring. It doesn't kill your grass.
Speaker 10: The same thing happened last year.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so is that roue Send me a picture if you want, but it's hard to tell. Yeah. There, most of them are granulars, most of them.
Speaker 10: Okay, Well, I sure appreciate it, and I'll run grabs some this morning.
Speaker 3: All right, sir, thanks a lot, you take care and good luck getting that accomplished for sure. Hey, So, Warren Southern Gardens out in Kingwood has outstanding plants in stock right now. For example, they got their full fledged vegetable selection all in stock and ready to go to your house. They got a really nice seed selection too, by the way, And talk about planting from seed a lot, but that's a great way to plant. When you're out at Warren Southern Gardens. You need to if you spend a hundred bucks and say that I sent you. I heard it, SKIP sent me from garden Line. You receive twenty dollars off your purchase. So basically, that's like getting one hundred dollars worth of stuff for eighty dollars. That's what that amounts to. That's a significant difference. Now that excludes something that's on sale or clearance or whatever. And it's only effective through today. I need you to hear that. It's only effective through today. At Warren Southern Gardens, they've got the carbon load out there from excuse me, from Nelson. They've got nitro fust Fall special. They got plenty of products asamites out there ready to go. They got mums and pumpkins and it's just beautiful out there. Go visit warrants. They'd be a good day to get out there and do that. And last day of that special save you a lot of money. I'll be right back, folks, take a little break. Talk to you a bit. I'm glad you're with us today. Hey, if you are in the League City area, and by League City area, I mean Santa Fe, Webster, clear Lake City, oh Comuny, Real, san Ley on Lamark Baycliff, Dickinson. Here's your home on feed store, League City Feed. We love our feed stores on Guardline and League City Feed is a great one. It's been around for forty years, started in an ochre patch. Now what can how can you not turn out good if you're starting an ochre patch. That's how I look at things for sure. The old time for service, you know, carry the bags out for you to the car, and it's just a I love going into feed stores. I just do. I like everything from the layout to the smells of a feed store. It's just I don't know, I love it. And League City Feed is that kind of feed store. You can give them a call at two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. Two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. They're open Monday through Saturday from nine to six pm, so you can swing by there after work. Now where is it located. Well, it's on Highway three, just a few blocks south of Highway ninety six, so it's really easy to get to. They got premium pet foods and you know other things you would expect to be at a feed store, like products to control pests, weeds and diseases and certainly all of the fertilizers. You hear me brag about here on garden Line. I want to go now out to Spring, Texas and talk to Tom. Hello, Tom, good morning.
Speaker 23: I skipt this, Tom.
Speaker 22: You got me?
Speaker 23: Yeah, yes, sir, Hey, I listened to you every Sunday morning on the way home from an overnight work job, and I wanted to talk to you about my grass. I just listened to you about the three part system for the grass a little while ago. Yes, And I've battled my lawn for the last three years or so with the drought, with the cold, with the hot and everything else. So I've got a mixed mash of Saint Augustine and another type of grass that's really coming in kind of good, and I don't want to kill it.
Speaker 24: So I want to just.
Speaker 23: Describe it to you. It's a very low, small grass like a comes up like a star with a little flower in it. It's very thick, but it's green and I kind of like it because it's green. And my lawn has not been green very well for the last couple of years. So if I do the step to the barricade, is that going to kill that? If it's a weed, I don't want.
Speaker 25: To kill it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Uh, well, I'm trying to picture what you're describing. It sounds like you may have a sedge. Is it almost kind of shiny? The leaves, they are a.
Speaker 23: Little bit of a gloss, skinny, kind of a blue green, very short, comes up like a star with a little flower in the middle.
Speaker 3: Up.
Speaker 23: Yes, it's like a very very small like a matchhead size. Uh you know, kind of purplish almost almost. You can't see it except for the color that it almost in every star that comes up out of the ground, there's a little bud of that, uh, that flower in the middle. But so if you you know, when I cut it, the flowers are gone, and then in a couple of days the flowers bloom back up. But it's nice because it's green, and my lawn has not been green and thick like this in years.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I can't quite determine what weed you have. I wanted to say it was a sage, but not purple. Not purple star flower at the top of it. Anyway, here's the answer. Though nitrofos barricade prevents weed seeds from coming up for about sixty ninety days. Somewhere in there, maybe a little longer depending on the conditions. So if this is an annual weed, then putting nitrof barricade out now is not going to stop next year's warm season weeds, which if you're seeing it now, it's a warm season weed, so you would be okay on that. Now, if you applied the barricade in spring and this was coming back from seed, not a perennial, but from seed, then it would it would likely suppress it, depending on specifically which weed it is. And since I don't know for sure, it's hard to be ak.
Speaker 23: Yeah, it seems like skip a sea like it's it's a spreader, not a not a ro Rii zome spreader like Saint Augustine is. But it just kind of spreads to a new patch of dirt and to the point where it's is really green.
Speaker 3: Got you, So let's do this. If you want, go out and take a picture of it. We've got good light on it, and send me a picture email it. I'm going to put you on hold. My producer will pick up the phone and give you an email to send me that picture. If I have any additional comments on it, anything different than what I've already told you, I'll let you know in a reply.
Speaker 23: Okay, Okay, again, I'm on my way home from an overnight security job.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, so yeah, yeah, it's this week. I've got a kind of booked up week, so it may be towards the end of the week that I'm able to get back to you on a reply. But I'll get it to you, okay. I just don't want to kill it.
Speaker 4: Kill it.
Speaker 23: If it's green, I battle.
Speaker 3: It so long. All right, sounds good? Thanks Tom, Thank you. You have a good good you bet you have a good rest of your day. For sure. It's a great Sunday too. By the way, Hey, you know Nelson Plant Food. They have several lines of fertilizer. They've got the nutris Star line. They've got the Color Star line, which everybody raves about for sprinkling around your flower beds and things just to have outstanding growth and vigor and color in your flowers. They also have the Turf Star line. Turf of course, is for your lawn. Turf Star carbo Load is the fertilizer from Nelson Plant Food for fall, and it's designed for fall. The nutrient ratios are perfect for fall. A forty pound bag is going to cover about five thousand square feet, and carboload also has a pre emergent herbicide in it, meaning you gotta water the turf Star carbo load in with about a half inch of rain. Third to a half inch, probably a half inch better watered in, and that moves that product into the soil, so when a we tries to germinate, it stops it. So that also tells us another thing. This isn't just fertilizer, so it's got both. So you don't want to delay getting it out. If you waited until November to put it out, you're gonna already have some weed seeds that are starting to germinate by then. You got to get it out asap. So turf Star carbel Load is your fall fertilization and your fall pre emergent weed control all put into one. It's as simple as that. Another good product from the folks sitting now some plant food. Let's go out now to Beat Eyes. Is this beat Iyes, Texas Dame?
Speaker 26: It is, indeed, sir, good morning.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you me and the people of Beat Eyes are the only ones that know where that is. I bet you're correct, all right? How can I help, sir man.
Speaker 26: I got four blueberry bushes. One of them I've had for several years, and the three I bought earlier this year. And I bet some of them there's some of the branches are not a single leaf on them. But if you go and some of them at the very end, if you snap it, it's just like a dry snap. And then some of them okay kind of you know, green and spongy, so got you.
Speaker 4: Deer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, just make sure it gets water. Is your water high sodium out there and beat Eyes like it is and over and Brian Colors station near you. Well, let's it runs through a water softener. Oh yeah, okay, yeah, Well, if you can water your your blueberries with something that hadn't gone through the softener, that would be better. If you can find a if there's a way to go around that, if you've got a faucet or something. Blueberries hate that kind of water and it will cause them to get toasty and brown. So rain water or something the hard water is fine, but just uh yeah, that That's what I'd recommend, you know. As far as other things, there there are a few other things. It could be causing some issues with it. But I think I think basically I would fix that water thing first, whatever that takes.
Speaker 26: Okay, yeah, because all right would get very brown right at the tips, and then they would curl up.
Speaker 3: Yep. That's the sign of the sodium it is, and that that's soft water. Soft water. Yep. That'd be my number one recommendation that in acidifying plant food fertilizers and you know, good mulching and keep the soul moist. And that's the secret to blueberries out there. All right, I'm gonna have to run to a break that I'm due for here, sir. Okay, I hope that gets you off to good. Sorry, Now, if I save your blueberry plants, you need to bring me half of your produce and just leave it at the station. We'll call it even. That's a small charge, I'm sure. But hey, you have a good weekend, you too, appreciate Bye. All right, folks, time for you man. I wish I didn't have to take all these welcome back Guardline. Good to have you with us today. Hey, when was the last time you guys went out to Nelson Water Gardens? And Katie, you really ought to go Nelson Water Gardens. It's a destination nursery. It really is, and I shouldn't say what Nelson water Gardens. That's me the old time. They'll always been Nelson Water Gardens. It's Nelson Nursery in water gardens because they have an outstanding nursery. First of all, when you walk in, you will see a really cool plant shop for house plants inside. I mean quality, beautiful little plants looks. Really I always have to stop there and check that out first thing. Then getting out back, Oh my gosh, your fall color. You need pansies, you need you know, things like marigolds and everything else you would plant in the fall season for color. They've got it. They are stocked up on vegetable transplants as well. They've got pansies and biolo type plants in. I mean, they're ready to go. They really are ready to go, and you need to go check them out. Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens in Katie. You go out to Katie on Ien, turn north on Katie Fort Ben Road, turn right on Katie Fort Benroad or excuse me, yeah right, that's right. I had to turn around myself there. Anyway, you're gonna find beautiful water garden features. Those giant fountains that come out of pottery, those disappearing fountains. There are so many types of those there to make your head spin. And they've got the ponds, They've got the pond plants, they've got the pondfish. Anything you need. Do you want to hire them to come out and put one in, they can do that. Do you want to do it yourself? They will advise you on how to do that as well. All at Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery, take friends with you, allow time to sit and just enjoy the water. That is free therapy. It ought to be costing you one hundred dollars an hour. It's free. Go sit out there and enjoy the sound of water. I have two features in my backyard, and that is a peaceful, happy place to go set and Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens can make that magic happen. Nelsonwatergardens dot Com. That's the website. Go check it out. We're going to head out now to Lamark, Texas and talk to Desmond. Hey Desmond, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 25: Yeah, thanks Scoop, thanks for picking up on this. Yeah, I've talked to you before about the dovewed, and I've been treating it with celsius. Okay, I had using blindside, but it's taken three treatments to have any effect on it. So my front garden, I've got to the stage where I'm pulling.
Speaker 3: That up by hand.
Speaker 25: My back garden, which is a much much larger area, is just blanketed with dunwick. Now it's starting to die and looking pretty dead.
Speaker 3: My question is should I.
Speaker 25: Go around and pull it all up, because it's just a blanket of sort of semi dead dovewed right now? Should I just wait for the ground to get a bit moist and then just go around and pull it all up to allow the Saint Augustine to start spreading again.
Speaker 3: Well, you could do that. You want to be careful. It's got a lot of seeds on it, and all those seeds are just gonna fall off as you try to pull it, So be as careful as you can with it, just to avoid, you know, getting getting more seeds down there and in the way and whatnot. Doveweed is a it is a problem, and it makes a very thick carpet and as a result, you end up kind of choking your areas of Saint Augustine out as you've learned, But pulling it by hand with the soil moist is really good. You want to pull them, I take like a five gallon bucket when I'm pulling weeds, and that way I can pull them and just set them right there in the bucket and get them out of there. Because doveweed is it can easily reroot on you. And uh, it's it's an issue. But yeah, you can. You can do as you said, just do it soon and do it as thoroughly as you can.
Speaker 22: Right.
Speaker 25: Yeah, I've never seen any flowers or anything like that on this. And I'll usually wheel my WHEELI bin which is a huge wheelly bin out there, and I'll filled that a couple of times. So, I mean, I've got a lot of it. But it seems to prevent the Saint Augustine from letting its roots get down to the soil. Is how it kills.
Speaker 3: Well, there's several plants. There are several plants that are related to doveweed. They all kind of have a wondering jew type growth habit. You know, the the ornamental plant wandering jew that's in baskets and sometimes grow. These are all these are all somewhat related to that, and they're a challenge to control. They're not easy, but if you stay on it, you can get ahead of it.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 25: Well, the root system is very very thin, but it goes for miles. Each root spreads miles, you know, and you put it up, you'll have a you have a string of root, you know, a couple of foot long or more where it's spreads.
Speaker 3: You know, could you could you take a picture of that and send it to me. I want to make sure we're talking about the same plant here. If you can take one in the yard or pull one up with that route and lay it on the table and take a good picture, Mike, sure it's in sharp focus as close as you can get. And the last thing about it Doesmond, is if you will attach it to the email rather than embed it into the text, you know, like pasting it into the text. Make it an attachment, use that little paper clip icon that allows me to get in quickly and getting close for a good close look. But won't we do that. I'm going to put you on hold and have my producer give you an email address to send it to me. Some things you're saying are kind of making me wonder if we're talking about the right weed or not, but I still want to be sure before we go any further. Yeah, wasting your Yeah, yeah, excellent, thanks answer, All right, hang on, Crystal, pick it right up here and give you an address for that trees. The most valuable part of your landscape is your trees. Every single plant and let nothing is worth as much as a tree. I mean a tree a connect over a thousand dollars of value to your home easily, and that you know, a blueberry bush ain't worth that or an azalea. Trees are valuable and their long term it takes a long time to get a tree to a good size. You do not want to let people that don't know what they're doing work on your trees. A bad printing job is forever. I mean, I really mean that. I drive down the roads all the time, I neighborhoods, I look and I go, okay, they just turn that into a hat rack, and they might as well just dig it up now and play another one, because it never will get better. It will always be ugly. And that's what happens when people don't know what they're doing work on your trees. That's why I tell you give Martin spoon Moore a call at Affordable Tree Service. Affordable Tree Service is the name of it. Martin spoon Moore and his wife Joe. They answer the phones fall winter. This is we are at the doorstep now of our pruning season, our best printing season. We can pune twelve months out of the year, but the best printing season is coming up here. Get on his schedule, the sooner you call, the sooner you get on tell him you're a guardline listener. Get on that schedule, and here's the number seven one three, six nine nine two six sixty three. I'm gonna give you that again. Seven one three six nine nine two six sixty three. If you like websites, here's his website a fftree Service dot com. Aff Tree Service dot com. If you need anything done around your trees, or just want to Martin to give you a good lookover, he can come out for a consultation fee. If it ends up being some work you want to hire him to do, that cost goes straight into the fee, so that that's really handy. But if you're gonna do anything around a valuable tree in your landscape, call Martin first don't just have somebody put in a utility trench or throw a driveway over part of the root system. Lots of damage and again, like bad pruning, it's too late after the fact to do a lot to help it. Avoid the problem by letting Martin come out and take a look at that first, you are listening to Gardenline our phone number seven to one three two one two K t r H seven one three two one two K t our Age. It's as simple as that, Hey, Star Hope. Star of Hope is the place I would highly recommend you consider providing some of your hard earned compassion dollars. What I mean by that, I mean you know you work hard, you make money, and you want to help people, but you don't want to give money to places where it's not going to help people. Star of Hope is the best place I can think up to spend those valuable dollars and put your compassion to work. Do you know two dollars and eighty five cents provides a meal for a homeless man or a woman or a family. They serve over six thousand a week, So how many will you provide? All life and I support Star Hope had for decades. We believe in Star Hope. We started a long time ago, I say support. We recently we came back to this area began supporting them again here because we believe in it. Shmission dot org. Shmission dot org. This is a great way to put your compassionate workfolks, and I can tell you story after story after story of homelessness. I've seen the work they do, I've seen the results they do for the stories of what they do. It was eye opening for me. I thought I knew about homelessness. It was eye opening for me to see the challenges and the way Star Hope NEETs those challenges. I mean they do. They change lives, they change futures. Look, if you're a kid and mom or dad lost the job or whatever, it's not your fault that it affects your future. A story of Hope steps in there and they know what. Here's a news splash for you.
Speaker 27: Car buying can suck. This is the car Pro Jerry Reynolds. I've spent over twenty years referring car buyers to my friends in the car business, so you can avoid that sucking part. Go to carpro dot com to connect with my friends today. I mean, who couldn't use a friend in the car business. And the best part is it is absolutely free. Remember it starts at carpro dot com, carp dot com.
Speaker 3: Did you know the seventy percent of the million.
Speaker 1: Welcome to k t r H Guarden Line with Scamp Richard.
Speaker 7: It's so.
Speaker 4: Trim.
Speaker 2: Just watch you as Welcome.
Speaker 3: Back, Welcome back to Guardline. Good have you with us. We are looking forward to a good arrest of this morning show. Go all the way to ten o'clock this morning. If you'd like to give us a call, our phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt r H. Arbigate Garden Center is just looking awesome right now. Of course it always does. But they are loaded up with everything you need for fall. The gift shops are overflowing with really cool stuff. By the way, you know, I make a plant even makes a really good gift. You're gonna go visit somebody for Thanksgiving or going over to a meal of a with a friend or something like that. Swing by Arburgate and grab them something, Grab a cool plant, and boy did they ever have gorgeous plants right now. Some of the most beautiful agistas. You're ever gonna see that. It's just like that bees love that thing is there. They also have things like the one of my favorite fall plants, miragles. Couldn't even say it for a second, you know, miracles get eaten up by spider mites in the summer, but nonfall, the changing of the day links and temperatures and things. Spider mac populations are crashing and you're good to go. Marigoles will glow right up until the first frost. That makes it super super easy. Arbigate has the stuff you need to have success with your plants. You know how harp about brown stuff before green stuff. Here's Arbigate's version of that. When you go to Arbrogate to buy plants, go home with Organic food Complete. It's a four four three plus calcium food. It's a fertilizer for your plants. Organic soil Complete, the second bag, it is a quality soil with added expanded shale. Expanded shale lasts a long time, keeping a clay soil open and better drained. And the finally the third bag Organic compost Complete. Well, that's compost again with expanded shale. So when you do all three of those things, you have built a foundation for your plants to thrive. Actually, the organic food complete you can apply that after you put the plants into Just sprinkle it on the surface, watered in, scratch it into the surface and it does really well. But check out everything going on they man they have some of the most outstanding and beautiful plants that I've ever seen that are just glowing there at Arbrogate. And then they have the staff that knows what they're talking about. And that is important. In fact, it's not important, it is essential. It is essential. And Arbrogate scot those they know how to do things. They've grown here before, they're gardeners themselves, and they can help you transform your place into something special. You got problems with plants, bring them a picture, bring them a sample, say what is this? How do I do this? Or a picture? My neighbor's got one of these? You got any of these? I got to have one from my yard. I bet, I bet Arbrogate does. They're west to Tomball on twenty nine to twenty. The website is arbrogate dot com. You need to get on the newsletter. It is very very good, very interesting. Some outstanding writers that they have help them with that too. By the way, Well, let me go out to David M. Bel Air. Now, hey, David, welcome to garden Line. Hello.
Speaker 8: I bought hi a bunch of Hi, thank you for your taking my call, a bunch of.
Speaker 21: Bulbs, mainly tulips from Hostco and bags from recently.
Speaker 28: And then I'm going back the next day next.
Speaker 22: Week, and they had them on sale, so I bought a whole bunch more.
Speaker 3: And how should I store.
Speaker 28: Them inside or in a refrigerator?
Speaker 21: And when should I plant up tulips and other springs blooming?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, it kind of depends on the bulb. But tulips and hyacinth, the crocus, those kinds of bulbs we call them once you get one year, one year out of them, pardon and narcissus. Okay, you can plant the narcissus now, uh, the tulips, hyacinth, the crocus, those kinds of things. Put it in the refrigerator in a bin. Do not have apples in the bind with them. Apples give off at the lene that really messes up the bulbs. They the sprout that comes out looks all weird. But put them in a bin, store them and right for Christmas, get out there and put them in the ground. You can do them last week of December. You can do them, you know, early January. Get them in the ground of those narcissus and a lot of the other bulbs that have at least a hope of repeating, if you know, we get them at big box places like that. Typically you get bulbs that don't repeat well. Our garden centers carry the kinds the varieties that do. Once you plan them, you get year after year returns on them. But it's worth a try. You got them, give them a shot and get them in right now.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: It's a good time to plant bulbs now in next month. Two. Okay, thank you, all right, you bet take care. Thanks for the call. Appreciate that We're going to go now to College station. Talk to Daryl. Hey, Darryl, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 28: Hey, County, and Gigam. I had the same thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I had the.
Speaker 28: Same thing that the guy driving home has. And I think I can get a little more flavor to what that looks like. And I think it's roadside aster.
Speaker 3: It has a.
Speaker 28: Central okayroot, and then it spreads out and when you mow it, it just keeps getting broader and broader. I want to get rid of it, okay, and it has you need to handle long uh huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's all over now and it's starting to bloom. I've just seen some flowers that have been for about a week. So roadside aster is is truly blue green, and it in a vacant lot, it'll get waist high in the lawn. It goes sideways and flat and as you described, but it does have the tap root, so make sure your lawn is well watered so the soil is really soft. You got a lot of clay soils up in that area, and if they're hard, that astra just breaks off. If you reach down and right at the top of the tap root, just underneath all the branches and kind of grab it and shake your hands to the side as you pull, you pull those out, and you can pull a lot of them out. Astra makes tons of flowers and seeds and so at this stage, no post emergent herbicide will kill it adequately. So you've got to get those out. If you wait until the flowers have finished and the seed pods are dried, when you pull it out, you're gonna lose a bunch of seeds in the process. So the sooner you get at the sign of the first flower, that means get in the lawn. I've got a five gallon bucket. I've got a neighbor that has some in in their yard and it keeps drifting over into mind. So every year have to go out there, get them my hands and knees and pull a bunch of it, because you really notice it in the fall. It's they're all summer. You just don't see it because it's smaller plants and kind of hidden in the grass. But pull, pull, be ruthless. You'll get your cut coffee or something.
Speaker 28: And yeah, I've been doing that, And is there anything Will the pre emergent take care of them for next year?
Speaker 3: Or what next next year? A pre emergent that will work on broad leaves. Barricade is one that you can use, but you're gonna apply it in your area. I would probably apply it at the end of February, and then I probably would repeat it again sixty days later to get a second application down, because that would be your best bet for getting ahead of it. Hey, I have got to run. Darryl, thank you so much for the call. I appreciate that you bet all right, folks, I'll be right back, and when I do, Robert and Mike you'll be the first hope is that you have a more bountiful garden and beautiful landscape through listening to this show. Even if you don't call in, we'd like you to call in because I know you have questions, and i'll tell you this. I hope you've listened to Garden Line enough to know that I don't treat questions like they're stupid. I'll say it this way. There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers, and that therefore the pressures on me, I'm the one giving, hopefully not stupid answers. Call away. Other people are going to have your same questions you have, so we're happy to deal with that. I want everybody to have success. I mean, if you're a veteran, i'll try to help you. If you know everything there is to know about gardening, I'll try to help you. If you only are pretty sure that when you put plants out, you put the green side up and the brown side down, I'll try to help you, too. Happy to do that. We're going to head out now too. Where are we going we're going to summer Wood and we're going to talk to Robert. Hey, Robert, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 24: Good morning, Thank you.
Speaker 29: I want to see if you if you can solve a critical problem I have. Okay, I was preparing preparing a house to go on the market, and the front yard was a disaster. So I hired a company to re sought it. And they did what I thought was a good job. They put some top, they put soil down, then they put top soil on top of that, and they put their sod down. But by the second day all I had was yellow and pale green. The third day it was turning brown. Now I have a front yard full of brown stiff straw. How do I okay, do you do you have a magic answer for my problem?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, if if the problem was the initial you know, lack of water, like roots drying out and things, that's usually what happens with new sod. Uh, you just can't see. Just start watering it and see what if there's enough there to come back. Typically when we lay sod, we will put down a water twice a day for a week, once a day for another week, and then every other day for a week so those first three weeks we are making sure that little thin layer of roots and sod, that soil that comes in with the sod has a chance to get down in the ground and give the give the grass a chance. If you don't even a day without water earlier on in that process can cause what you're describing.
Speaker 29: If you water adequately starting when you see the problem, is likely that you can recover.
Speaker 3: If the runners aren't already dead. Saint Augustine is only alive in the runners above ground, the stolens. It doesn't have the underground rhizomes like bermuda grass and suysia do, so if the top drives and dies, it's dead. So I don't know how far gone it is. Hopefully you have enough that with watering it'll recover, and then you can get it going again next spring with following my loan schedule that's online at my website. Well, thank you very much. All right, sir, you bet good luck with that. Sorry to hear about those challenges. I know that can be frustrating. Medina products has been around. They have been around for a long time. They've got the Medina. Oh I guess one of my more famous products is Medina Soil Activator. You know, it's got all kinds of great stuff in it to help your plants. In general, they haven't called Medina Plus, and it is Medina Sool Activator Plus. It has over forty trace elements. It's got natural growth hormones from seaweed extract. It's got magnesium and iron and zinc, and you know of those vitamin type things like riboflav and thiamin, biotin, nicotinic acid, you know that kind of stuff. Lots of trace elements in it, and it's just good and you can use it in a lot of ways. I would recommend it as a folio spray. You're not going to burn plants with it, so all your plants, tree, shrubs, lawns. You can put it on a hose in spray or use it on your lawn. I like to use products from Medina in my transplanting processes. So falls for planting. You put a plant in the ground, get you a watering can fill it with Medina Soil Activator mixed at the label rate, and water that plant in. You can do a hose in spray and do the same thing with it that way. I even use it seed soaking. You know, you get some little siege and I'll soak them with water and then put them in the ground. Water them in. Medina cel Activator mixed at the right rate is a good idea for that too. All products from Medina and you're going to find those widely available here in the greater Houston area Medina Plus. Look for Medina Plus again, Medina cel Activator is in it plus over forty different trace elements and other very helpful compounds for plants. We're going to go now to Bay's City and talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, Hello, Olre.
Speaker 21: I know I've listened to you quite a bit and it sounds like you're fairly interested in okra.
Speaker 3: And I was wondering, I have an ocra problem, Mike, I have an Oprah addiction addiction, So.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I go, okay, well it sounds that way. And we had in our local newspaper down here, we had a little article on the tallest okra plant ever grown in Texas.
Speaker 20: And I didn't know if you were wear it.
Speaker 21: Well I can, but one of the one of your extension agents are not your extension agent. But anyway, his name's Holiday.
Speaker 6: He went down and.
Speaker 21: Major Oh the hardest one. Yeah, well I had to, Yeah, and I had to run out there and measure mine because mine has grown crazy so tall, and but of course mine.
Speaker 20: Didn't make it.
Speaker 21: His was His was fifteen feet six inches this guy in Santa Fe, Texas, and uh so my mind was only twelve foot eight inches. But kay, they're so tall this year.
Speaker 30: I don't know why.
Speaker 21: I might have beat his record if i'd have watered them more, but if I didn't, But it was interesting. I didn't mine were so tall. When I saw this article, I said, my gosh, they're they're tall.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: If you thought if you find a copy of that or a link to it, I'd sure like to see it. I know boo friends a long time. I will do that, all right. Well, the problem with that is it is expensive to pick it because you got to hire helicopter to come in and fly to your get that pick. I got a long hook.
Speaker 21: But hey, so what are you you going to put me on there so I can get your email or what how you want me to send this to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me let me put you on. I'm gonna put your on WHLD Crystal pick it up and he'll send you he'll give you an email. Thanks for the call. Appreciate that, Mike. It's always good to talk about OPRAH. I don't know. I know people don't listen every day, which breaks my heart, by the way, But I know people don't listen every day. And I say something one day and I think we'll say it again the next Andrews Probably yes, Probably yes. The other day, I was talking about mascots, high school mascots that were ridiculous, like the snails. I mean, think about that, the snails. Can you what are the cheerleaders say on the on the they go, you know, slim them snails, make them really really slippery or gross them out or snail snailses cargo. I don't know. Anyway. There's also a fighting Okra. There's a college in Mississippi, Delta State, that their unofficial mascot is the Fighting Okra, And it's just what you would expect, kind of looks like the fighting Irish guy, you know, the little green guy with his fists up and the frown on his face. But it's an Okra, So there you go. I don't know about these mascots. You'd think we'd at least look for something like you know, a giant lion or something that sounds a little vicious, but snails and okra. All right, Hey, Wibird's Unlimited is having their feeder trade end deal. Twenty percent off a feeder and listen the best feeders you're going to find for birds or Wibirds Unlimited. They have outstanding feeders. My favorite feeder from all birds that I have is the squirrel Eliminator. Now it's not inexpensive, but I'm telling you it is a Cadillac and you can replace the parts and basically it's going to last year forever. And squirrels cain't get in it. They just don't get in it. And I love that feeder, but they got a lot of others here. You take your old feeders in, I don't care what condition they're in. Any old feeders in and they'll give you twenty percent off a new feeder at all six locations. Go to WBU dot com Forward Slash Houston WBU dot Com Forward Slash Houston. This promotion ends this weekend, so I say it ends. That's this is the last I'm gonna mention of it. I don't know exactly how long they're lasting, but I think we're right getting toward the end here. Just call your warbird story and they'll be able to tell you. But when you go into wabirds pick up some of their feed. I just ran out. I was filling my mother in law's feeders with the feed I had the other day. I need to go get me some more. I like it because it cheap. Bird seed is full of the red beebes at birds kick out and don't want to eat. Warbirds. Feed is stuff birds want to eat. And if you want zero mass, like I don't even want sunflower shells on the ground that they picked the kernel out of, you can get there. No mess. Feed starts with n M no mess, then no mess feeds are you buy a pound of feed, you get a pound into the birds tummy. That's how that works. Quality feed, quality products. Wabirds unlimited, six stores here. Go to WBDU dot com. Forward slash Houston. We're gonna go now to eight off out in Manville. Hey eight off, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Good morning, Skip. You were talking about strawberries long ago.
Speaker 8: I didn't get all of it, but yes, can I plant them now? With seed?
Speaker 3: Yes? No, with plants, transplants.
Speaker 8: Oh, okay, so it's too late for seed. Okay, well, we would.
Speaker 3: Never never plant them by seed. Really, it's just you'll never end up seeing plants that have strawberries. It's just get transplants in the fall. That's the way to go.
Speaker 20: Yeah, okay, uh, And now I'm gonna put them in pots, So I buy what type of bagged dirt gonna buy?
Speaker 3: There's a lot of good yeah, good quality pinting soil. You know, airlom Cells makes one called the Works that works really well. You could even use you can use a veggie and herb mix in those pots and it would be okay too. But you want a pot with a decent sized root volume because the smaller the pot, the more often you have to water. And if you forget the water and it's you know, we still have a ninety degree days, but even in December we can have ninety degree days sometimes. You know, you don't want to stress the plants, and so a little more soil volume is helpful for them. But yeah, you can grow strawberries like crazy. I mean, people grow them in hanging baskets, but you better be ready to water them all the time because that's a small amount of soil.
Speaker 8: Okay, Now I do have some some.
Speaker 20: Gumbo, uh in large containers? Would that be gumbo? Is okay as well?
Speaker 3: Like a black clay soil in large containers.
Speaker 13: Right right?
Speaker 20: I mean, but it's got a lot of gumbo in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would they like sandy loamy soils. If you look at strawberry growing regions, it's very sandy soil. I would you could buy sand, you know, from a garden place down there in Manville. You're not too far away from uh Siena Mulch which is over in Sienna. Uh and they have blends and sand. You could get sand and buy some composts to go with it and mix them together and it would do very very well.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, well, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Yep. All right, And you know, you know the rule on garden Line. The advice is free. But I just asked for half the strawberries. Drop them off at the station on it.
Speaker 20: Even take care, okay, one bucket for you and two buckets for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and you got to leave a bucket for the birds. But take care. I got to go to break here, folks. We'll be right back. Hey, welcome back to guard Line. Glad you are with us this morning. If you want to be on garden, if you got a question, I'd be happy to visit with you about that. You just got to give me a call. Seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt r H. You know, ACE Hardware stores are the place to go for whatever you need, if it's inside the house, if it's outside the house. When it comes to fall in our gardens and lawns, we need the fall special types of fertilizer. We need the carba loads, we need the microlives and all those, and the certainly also the medinas. All of that and more is available there at your ACE Hardware store. If you're looking to control weeds with a pre emergent, it's there. If you're looking to prevent diseases, it's there. If you're looking for anything it takes to have success in your garden and landscape, it's there at ACE. That's what they do out on the patio. Boy, I am enjoying my patio. These evenings are a little bit cooler, and it's safe to get outside, and I'm really enjoying barbecue pits. They've got them. Do you need a string of lights to turn that ambiance on out there in the patio. They've got that. They have everything and inside the house for the holidays, everything you would think about is going to be at your Ace Hardburre store. I love going into ACE because I don't care if I need a piece of plumbing, a piece of wiring, if I need a tool for my garden, It doesn't matter what you need. Including some other really cool gifts too, by the way, they've got it at ACE. ACE is the place for that. I'll be telling you about their holiday They got some cool holiday lighting stuff coming up that. Just hang on, don't get your holiday lighting just yet. I'm gonna be telling you about some cool stuff coming up at ACE here before for long fire and control season is here. Get it done. Always have mosquito dunks on hand. You never know. We always we can have mosquitoes almost all the time unfortunately here in our area, and they've got the things for that as well. Just remember ACE is a place, and remember this. Go to Acehardware dot Com find the store locator. There's forty stores near you, and I would recommend anytime you're driving through someplace, stop in it at ACE and check it out. They're independently owned. Each is different in its own way, and it's always fun and cool to go in and see the different things that will surprise you that they carry at Ace Hardburre's because Ace truly is the place you know. At Ace Hardware, you're going to find that nitrop Texas three step, the Texas three step that is the fall special winter riser fertilizer designed for fall, and it's time to get it down now. The sooner you get it down, the more time that grass has to take up the nutrients to help it when it captures sunlight create winter heartiness, the equivalent of infries inside those plants. Secondly, they've got the barricade. That's the second step of the Texas three step by Nitrofoss. Barricade is a pre emergent What does that mean. It means you put it down, you water it in before the weeds emerge, and it will prevent them from ever showing up and causing a problem. The third step is nitrophoss eagle ter fungicide. Have you ever seen those big circles in the fall In the spring, that's brown patch eagle turf fungicide gets in the grass plant. It prevents brown patch from being able to attack take All root Rot Boy, we had some calls today about it. It kills grass. Take All is a good name for that disease. Eagle Turf Fungicide is on my schedule is one of your options for controlling take all root rot. And by the way, if you don't know what schedule is gardening with Skip dot com. Gardening with Skip dot Com on there you'll find a lot of information including two schedules, the lawn Care schedule with test fertilizers organic and synthetic, and the lawn Pest, Disease and Weed schedule, which has those products also synthetic and organic in both ways. And they're free. The schedules are free, print them out, check it out. In the meantime, head over to an ACE Hardware store and get you some nitoposs three step. You're going to find it at places you know, for example like Plantation Eights, ACE down in the Richmond area. You're going to find it at ACE Hardware City on Memorial Drive. You're going to find it at All Spas, ACE up in the Woodlands at Katie, ACE Hardware over in Katie. Easy to find and it works you are listening to Gardenline. The phone number if you'd like to give us skull seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. That makes you really easy, you know, just write that down. I liked. I like to use the numbers. Some people like to do by letters. I find I'm sitting there looking trying to find that letter. I don't know, just it's just me. Either way you want to go, when was the last time you went out to Antique Rose Imporium. I'm telling you the place is looking great. You know. Antique Rose Imporium is up there in Independence, Texas, just north of Brunham. I mean, it's a nice little drive outside of town, not far, not far at all. But you get out there and it's like you've entered another time. You know, the Antique Rose Emporium. Doesn't that just create a picture in your mind? Well, that's what you'll see when you get out there. It's been around since nineteen eighty three. I remember when I first opened up. I was in grad school nineteen eighty three. Well, anyway, they are gearing up for fall out there. The roses are loaded everywhere they're releasing some new roses. I was talking with some of the folks at antiqu Rose Imporum just the other day, and they're going to be releasing and featuring varieties they haven't carried before. They've got some roses even the they've developed there. They're putting names on and releasing the perform well in trials. And this is all the way up to the Fall Festival of Roses, which is November one through third, November one, two and three. Now, the first day is a festive ticketed garden party, meaning you got to buy a ticket to go, but Saturday and Sunday are free and open to the public. They're going to have speakers like Paul Zimmerman or Rosarian Chris Weisinger, the bulb Hunter from Southern Bulb Company will be there, Mike Surrant from Microlife, the Man himself, Henry Flowers will be there. Doctor Stephen George, Oh, Doctor George a friend of mine. He is a extension specialist up in the Dallas, Texas area who created the Earthkind Program. The Earthkind Program looks at ways of managing issues in your garden by cultural practices that prevent the need for using a lot of toxic products, the Earthkind Program, good name for it, Doctor Stephen George, and he is a character. In fact, he's two characters. The man is a hoot. Fact these two hoots. They're gonna have an artist in market. Food, trucks, plants, natives, perennials, tools, fertilizers, gift items, and of course roses. Now, when you head out to Rose Imporium, tell them that I sent you and you get a ten percent discount at checkout. You need to hear this. I'm saying it again. When not if, when you go to the Antique Rose Imporium, tell them skip sent me from guardline. Skip from guard line sent me, and you've got a ten percent discount at checkout. You can't do better than that. Now, if you want to order online, which you can buy from Antiqurosenporium online, you can put in a coupon code Skip twenty twenty four Skip two zero two four at the coupon code. You know there are roses and so much more. If you want more information, you got to go to the website. You know there's events pages there and everything else. Antique Roseanmporium dot com or give them a call ninety seven nine, eight, three, six fifty five forty eight. In the meantime, mark November one, one, two and three on your calendar. You do not want to miss that fall festival of roses. Where are we now? Getting kind of close to the next break, so I'll just hold off there. If you'd like to be on Guarden Line, if you want to give us a call seven to one three two one two kt r H. You give us call soon here and you can be first up when we come back from our break. Thanks for being a listener, and we look forward to talking to you more because we've got plenty more to talk about about plants here on Guarden Welcome back to the guard Line. We've got plenty of talk about folks. Give us a call seven one three two one two kt r H if you have a question. I want to mention because I keep telling you you need to plant, You need to plant, you need to plant. It's fall. Fall is the season for planting. Fall is especially the season for planting. Wood are ornamentals. Well, when you plant a tree, you don't have to do the old way of three guy wires to hold the tree in place after you plan it. Those wires are for tripping over they're in the way. It's a lot of work. You gotta find wire. You got to put some kind of a cut section of garden hose around the wire so it didn't cut into the tree. And on and on just gets you a three sixty tree stabilizer. It is a bar. I think of it as an arm, and it grabs onto a post there is you can get a little. It comes with an attachment that attaches to t posts. You know, drive them in the ground. Makes it real easy. And you do it real close to the tree, not very far away you know maybe I don't know, foot a little over foot foot and a half eighteen inches somewhere in there. And you attach it to the tree with a soft strap. That allows movement, and that is important. Movement strengthens tissues. It strengthens our muscles. You think about this. You work out by lifting weights day after day after day. That strain, that stress, that pull, that movement, it strengthens your muscles. Well, you take a tree and you tie it perfectly still where it can't move. It will not get the strength of trunk that it will if you allow to move a little in the bin that that bin, that stress that movement strengthens it. Three sixty tree stabilizers designed to allow that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: You're going to find them at RCW. You can find them down the Southwest Fertilizer. You can go up to Buchanan's Native Plants. You can go over down in Alvin. Jorges Hidden Gardens has them. Arborgate has them up in Tambail Plants for all seasons, Highway two forty nine and ed Luetta. These are all places you can get the three sixty tree stabilizer. If you're going to plant a tree that is an valuable part of your landscape, invest in a very reasonab reasonably priced three sixty tree stabilizer and your set and anytime you want to put another tree in, your neighbor wants to put a tree, and you can loan them, there's your tree stabilizer to put in. They work. If you've got a good sized tree. You can do two of them, one at kind of a right angle to the other one, so no matter which way the wind blows, you're good to go. I love that product. It's very ingenious. It is just outstanding and it really really works. We're going to head now to Spring, Texas and talk to Cody. Hey Cody, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 4: I had a magnolia tree that died during the big freeze, and if I finally cut it down and everything and the roots, I'm gonna call it stems or shoots, it started sprouting up. I've got a clump of about about keen of them together. They are about three foot tall, and that leaves and everything, you know, starting to grow back. What's the best way to just trim all that back and keep one of those stocks coming up and try to get that to be a tree, or what's the best way to try to get that thing to come back as a tree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you got if you got sucker or water spout or sucker spouts coming out from the base, it picked one and let it be the trunk and cut all the rest away, and it in time will form a good trunk again. Uh, it could be. It's gonna be a little bit of a weaker spot because is unlike a normal tree that just has a regular trunk with roots going to the sides coming out. It's gonna have kind of a dead spot on the side where that old trunk was.
Speaker 28: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but in time it will cover that over and get strong.
Speaker 8: Figure's worth a shot.
Speaker 30: It's free, so I'll do what I do with it.
Speaker 3: Hey can't beat that. I can't beat that. Like a friend of mine used to say, can't beat that with wet rope. I don't know what that means. It sounded funny, all right, Thanks a lot, Cody, you bet bye bye. I've told you about Star Hope before a Star Hope, I think is one of the best ways to put your compassion to work in a way where you know your money is well spent and it's changing people's lives.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I know I talk to people all the time, and I know a lot of people are like, well, you know, if I just give money to somebody on the street corner, what are they going to do with it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And I get that. I understand that, and Star of Hope understands that, and they know what it takes to change a life. And it's not I wouldn't recommend just hand out on a street corner. Star Hope gives life change. They have education for people there to turn their life around. They have substance abuse help for people, they have spiritual help for people. They provide Listen to this they provide food for two dollars and eighty five cents. You can buy a meal for somebody, and they feed six thousand meals a week at Star of Hope. Then there is a shelter for women and children. There's a family shelter so they can come in and live there. They have child care for the children while mom or dad is learning a skill. They have a special shop where they can get the clothing to go do a job interview. I mean, think about someone on this destitute living in a car with the kids. This is a way out. You can't just hand somebody money and suddenly now they have childcare and they have food, and they have a place to stay and they have a car to get to work. They walk them through the process and there's a certain amount of time they have there to get all that done. They help them find a job, they help them get on their feet, and it changes their life, It changes their kids' lives. And I want to tell you this, it changes Houston, the greater Houston area for the good. I can't think of a better way to make a difference and put your compassion to work than Star of Hope. Go to Shmission dot org. Sh mission dot org. How many meals will you provide? Will you join my wife and I and being supporters of Star of Hope. I really believe in it, and I'm telling you when you hear the stories, you will too. I want to go now out to Oh there's already there. Okay, wrong, wrong, false alarm, Sorry about that. I am working on my vegetable garden. Unfortunately it's full of ochre right now, just about all okre. I've got some other things going, but it is time for me to pull that out. I'm a little late actually on getting all my broccoli and cabbage Califler cor Robbie Collared's kale. It's pretty soon. It's time to get the spinach and then lettuce in. We need cool offul just a little bit more for spinach, lettuce and carrots to do their best. But it's so easy. Swiss charred beats. Lots of things we want to grow in the gardens. And I tell you this, When you grow stuff yourself, you tend to eat it, and you tend to be healthier. And if you have kids, that is even more true. When kids grow their own vegetables, they are much more likely to eat them, much more likely. You know, you shove a piece of broccoli in front of a kid and they go, what's that? I ain't put not in my mouth? You know, and kids grow up to think that way too. Hey, remember years, years and years ago when the first Charge Bush was president, he made some snide comment about broccoli one time. It just kind of joking around, and I'm telling you, people got upset. And there was a guy in a broccoli suit, looked like a big gumby marching in front of the White House protesting the fact that he had made a dising comment about broccoli. Oh my gosh, is this the first world problem or what? But anyway, when kids eat their vegetables, you set them on a life of healthy eating. They learn to appreciate that. I got a granddaughter and the way my daughter and son and alive raised her. They just don't feed her dunk food. And I the other day she was visiting me and I was driving around town. It was lunchtime. I thought, hey, I said, hey, you want to grab something to eat? I think, and she's going to go, yeah, I want to go to get a burger or whatever. And she goes, you know where we can get a salad and I looked at her like, what is wrong with you? But good for her? Our number one health problems in our country are due to lack of moving around and exercise, and lack of eating right, eating jump putting processed junk in our mouths. Why not start your kids off right with a vegetableard. All right, that's my pitch for vegetable gardening. You don't want to dig up the backyard, that's fine, Get you some five gallon containers. Plan in those. You can grow anything you want to grow for fall in a five gallon bucket or a nice beautiful urn if you want to go that far. All right, Well, enough of me joking around about that. Hey, Donald, Donald, welcome to garden line. Good to have you with us. How can we help?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 22: Yeah, thank you. I've got a fifty fifty patch out behind the house, killed up, the plant blue on it. We have the seed. Yes, what's the there's a evidently a bunch of different ways of scarf on the seeds. But what do you recommend?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, the simplest thing for a patch like that, I'd get the seed, and I'd get some boiling hot water and I would pour it over the seeds and let it sit. Do it this afternoon, let it sit all night, and in the morning pour off the water and a lot of that water is going to already be soaked into the seed and the germination process will be triggered. Take the seeds out, roll them on a napkin or something to get the xus water out so it's easier to plant them. They don't stick to your hands. Wet seeds stick to your hands. Scatter them out, rake them in lightly and water them in well, and then about every four to six days give it another watering, another water, and keep them moist and that'll give them the best chance of getting started. Once we get a rain, you can kind of back off that, but we've got to go through that gener nation where it's kind of touch and go.
Speaker 22: Yeah, sir, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: You bet, Thanks for the call, and good luck with that. Send me a picture when you when you get that blue bennet patch up next year. I'd love to see that. All right, Well, I hear music. That means I got to go, Scott. You'll be are first up when we come back. Just a reminder next Saturday, I'll be enchanted Forest Nursery down in the Richmond Rosenberg area Enchented Forrest, Richmond Rosenberg. We'll be doing some Medena giveaways. I got some other surprise. I'm gonnaive away down there while we're there, answering your gardening questions, and plus you get to see in gender forest, which is gorgeous. Come ready to shop because then they're loaded. I can't wait to talk to you and help answer your gardening questions. I'd eye down it in chunt it for us. Next Saturday from eleven thirty to one thirty.
Speaker 11: The wild Birds Unlimited Annual Feeder Swap is going on right now at all six locally owned Wildbirds Unlimited stores. Just bring in any old feeder and get twenty percent off a new one. Find the store closest to you at WBU dot com. Forward Slash Houston give you helpful tips to protect your identity. Using multi factor authentication can be a line of defense to help protect your personal information, but Lifelok offers comprehensive protection against identity theft. LifeLock not only alerts you to suspicious uses of your personal information, but also fixes issues that arise guaranteed or your money back. Protect your identity today with a thirty day free trial at lifelok dot com. Use my name Clay as the promo code terms apply.
Speaker 31: Did you know you can get your prescription for less at your local pharmacy. You can with good Rx. It's the free ethic and save you money on your medications. Just search for your prescription, choose the pharmacy and the price that works best for you, and then show your good Rx coupon to your pharmacist at the drop off counter. Good X works at over seventy thousand pharmacies including Walmart, Rite Aid, and Walgreens, and it works whether you have insurance or not. It's easy to save. Next time you drop off your prescription. Check good Rx to start saving today.
Speaker 3: Go to GoodRx dot com.
Speaker 31: Good Rx is non.
Speaker 17: Insurance Starting Stronger starts an AutoZone where they've got battery solutions in the form of free battery testing, free battery charging, and replacement batteries that fit your needs. That's what makes them America's number one battery destination. Get in the Zone AutoZone from the Classic Buick GMC traffic Center.
Speaker 3: This report is sponsored by toptext Defenders dot com.
Speaker 32: Top tax Defenders helps people that are having trouble with the irs. You know, you can be a good person and the IRS says you owe money that you don't. Oh, it happens. Top tax Defenders dot com. Top Tax Defenders dot Com. Portions of the following program were pre recorded.
Speaker 1: This is used Radio seven k t r H Houston at r H Garden Line with Skip Rickard.
Speaker 3: It's just watch him as.
Speaker 2: Many.
Speaker 3: Welcome to guard Line. Welcome back to guard Line, folks. We're looking forward to visiting with you. Guess what we're entering our last hour of this Sunday morning, A beautiful Sunday morning, by the way, We're in our last hour and I hope if you have any questions you'll go ahead and get those calls in now so we can get that done. We got some folks on the board. We're going to jump to here, and just one one second first, I wanted to mention to you if you're doing fall transplanting of anything, and you really should be. I'm talking about putting broccoli transplants in a vegetable garden. I'm talking about putting flowers in a flower bed. I'm talking about annuals and perennials and shrubs and trees, and herbs, all that stuff you need to get you a jar of Nutristar Genesis. Nutri Star Genesis is a natural plant food that is loaded with micoriza, beneficial bacteria and other fungi. You mix it into the soil when you transplant. Now, normally I'll tell you don't put a salt based fertilizer in the hold and then sit roots right on top of it. You can burn roots that way, but when nutristar genesis, you just mix it in the soil. You're not can burn anything. And when those plant roots start out, it is all the good stuff that they need, nutrients and all the other microbial things that are very important for your plants. I used it for transplanting tomato plants last spring when I was working on Oh my gosh, the way they jumped out of the ground once those roots that genesis. It was crazy excellent, excellent product. So you're going to put an apple, apple tree, a peach tree, a rosebush, perennial herbs, you're going to put some something like rosemary in the ground or anything. Get some Nutristar Genesis. It comes in a clear jar with a screw top lid. Easy to use. It goes a long way, and it works. It works from Nelson neutrastar genesis. For all your transplanting in the ground in containers, whatever you're doing, you need to get that in the soil so the new roots have some good stuff to work with. I'm going to head out to Houston now and talk to Scott. Hello Scott, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 33: Hey, good morning, Skip. Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it.
Speaker 33: Yes, I had been following the yard schedule religiously and it works perfectly. I've got the best grass in the entire neighborhood. But I've got one problem. I've got mutigrass that is creeping into my Saint Augustine. And back in May I sprayed some liquid achazine on it, the liquid type, just to diminish the health of the bermuda, to get it to get the Saint Augustine to take over. It didn't work as well as what I wanted. But there's a new product that has come to market. It's made by Syngenta and it's called Recognition, and then it also comes with a thing of fuselade too, and it's this post emergent herbicide that they swear will not harm the Saint Augustine and will work, but it's not cheap. So I wanted to get your thoughts on it because it's anywhere from two to four hundred bucks for this. Then I just wanted to get your thoughts and se if you had any experience with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't talk about it on the air in general myself, no problem with you bringing it up. I don't talk about it because it is a huge It's a quantity that if you had like ten neighbors that got together and I wanted to do it, it would come down to an affordable price and it would cover every by yard, and so it's not practical for most own people. That is the only spray solution to the bermuda in Saint Augustine to get rid of the bermuda, but not the Saint Augustine. And you got to follow that very carefully, very carefully. A lot of professional landscapers don't even know about it, but yep, that's out there now other.
Speaker 33: Than readly available recently, and now it's now I'm able to get it. So I just wanted to get your thoughts on it. But I thank you for telling me that it does work, and I might give it a try here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can work if you know any other people that need to do it in their lawns and get them to split it with you, because like I said, it's well, you know how expensive it is anyway. The only other thing other than that is, you know, we usually people either live with the two together mixed in the lawn. There's actually three solutions to it. That's one, and I don't talk about that for the obviously, and this is not practical for most people. Another is there's a type of Saint Augustine that doesn't that you can spray things that kill bermuda and it doesn't kill the Saint Augustine. It's a it's a variety that's out there that pretty much very few people have right now.
Speaker 4: I don't have that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Raley.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 23: Uh.
Speaker 3: The other thing is is to kill everything and replant. And and I've been telling people if you do that, you better wait because you think you killed all the bermuda and here comes the sprouts some back out of the ground. Do it again, maybe a third time, just to make sure you get it all out, or you just end up being back where you started.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they kill till phill and saw.
Speaker 33: It seems like that much more work when I compare it to the two hundred bucks at the four hundred, I'm like, I don't know what may.
Speaker 3: Can I get you to do? Can I get you to do me a favor? Scott? I'm gonna put you on hold and get my producer to give you my email address. I don't want to talk about this on the air, but I'd like to know where you found what you found, because that stuff was pretty hard to get for a while. And anyway, if you're just an email just just with that information, i'd appreciate it.
Speaker 33: You bet, I will do it. Thanks for taking my call this morning.
Speaker 8: Have a great day, all right, you bet?
Speaker 3: All right, Chris, if you can grab Scott and give him an email address. There, let's see here. I want to tell you about in Channa Gardens down in Richmond Rosenberg. Enchanted Gardens. Yes, that's a good name, Enchanted Gardens, because it's an enchanting place. I always love to go there. And when you go to a Channa Gardens, you just look around and it is amazing the stuff that they have. I mean, right now, the fall color they've got, the moms where you get several colors of mom and one big mounding plant. It's gorgeous. They've got the siloshas that have the beautiful red plumes and the burgundy splotched leaves, silver pony foot that just spills over containers with silver color marigals one of my favorite fall plants, marigals because they just glow and spider mites on a fall problem on maragals. And then of course the crowton that everything like that, and it's what you'd expect from a place that always has the best of plants. You know, it's fall gardening time. It's time to get out there, get your vegetable gardens, get your herb plants in the ground. They've got it all at Enchanted Gardens en Richmond are The Enchended Gardens is on FM three point fifty nine, So if you're in Richmond heading toward Katie direction, it's out there. Here's the website. You need to go because it's outstanding and it'll you won't even be able to finish looking at you'd be so excited you want to run out there and see this place and it's worth it. Take friends when you go to by the Way because it's a fun outing. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. They're open Monday through Saturday eight to five, and today they are open ten to four. Be a good afternoon to get out there and enjoy ingented gardens. Let's head to Spring Branch and we're going to talk to David. Hello, David, welcome to the garden Line.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thank you for taking my call a skiff. I appreciate that. You know, I caught about three weeks ago and you were spot on on the windmill palm tree that I had the way I described it to you had fate it leaves and you know it was browning and stuff like that. I mean, you didn't think it would make it. You tell me to weather it. But sure enough, like you said, you thought it was not going to make it, and it didn't make it. My question is I didn't go buy another palm tree. Yeah, I'm gonna go buy another one, should I?
Speaker 3: Is it o kid?
Speaker 8: I've had it in the exact hoe as the other one.
Speaker 13: Or don't do that?
Speaker 3: The end of today. If you are looking for a one stop shop for any kind of supply, you're going to need to have a beautiful lawn, a bountiful garden, the gorgeous trees, success with plants, tools you need to prune, a place you can get your lawnboard blade, shype, sharpen or small engine repairs. Accomplished seeds, great supplies of seeds, on and on and on. And I'm talking about organic products. I'm talking about synthetic products, all the above. Southwest Fertilizer at the corner of Bissinet and Runwick is that place. Now. It's easy to get to. People go from all over there really because they know when you go all the way there you are going to get what you need. So they're willing to drive to do it. But it's inconvenient, easy to get to, like I said, and they've always got stuff and they know what they're talking about. You walk in with a weed or a picture and say, is what is that? And how do I control it? I need to control you know? Is it a problem? They'll tell you and they'll point you to the right direction. They've been doing this since nineteen fifty five. Nineteen fifty five, it's not long. That's a long time. And it's Southwest Fertilizer. By the way, the website Southwest Fertilizer dot com. They have expert advice that knows what they're doing, and they have ext products to help accomplish what you're trying to do. And then they do that with the old fashioned service. That's why it's so popular. That's why it's so popular there seven one three six six six one seven four four. While you're there, ask about the soil probe that they have for loan. I believe they still have it there where. If you need to go out and do a soil sampling, there's an arrangement, you know, you leaves them behind so you don't run off with the soil probe and you can go borrow it and use it and come back and it helps you get a good salt test done properly.
Speaker 8: You can do that.
Speaker 3: Ask about the kneeling bench too, by the way, the kneeling bench, it's it's one of the best tools I have and it will be years too. And if you have anybody north of forty years old on your list of gifts for birthdays and Christmas or whatever, you got to get them a kneeling bitch. They will love it. And Bob's got them there at Southwest fertilizer. So just another reason to go there by the way too. If you want to make that skips weed wiper, that's on my website guardeningskip dot com. If you want to make one homemade. Bob got the initial tool with the suction cups that you need to start with. It's not expensive, it's easy to do, and it really really works cool. I gave out some handouts for those the other day at a talk I was giving somewhere. Let's add to Huffman now and we're going to talk to Cooper. Hey, Cooper, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 20: Hey, how you doing, mister Skip?
Speaker 34: Look here, I have a Sago palm that was in my front yard and the freeze got it. So I cut it down because it was like five foot talls, so I cut it down. Now I got all the pups growing. How do I just feel it so I can put something else there? I mean like banana trees and other things you put black tarp, you know, lastic.
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 8: How do I get rid of that from keeping growing?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 3: Well, one way would just be grubbing out, you know, just just pull the plan out, check the soil off, and move on. That way you got it all. If you tried to spray it and kill it, you're still gonna have that kind of woody stumpthing at the base there.
Speaker 25: Uh these just a ball or is it?
Speaker 3: It's got it's got some pretty strong roots. Yeah, it's got some strong roots that go out in all directions. Uh, you know, you kind of chop it off because those things are they'll hurt you.
Speaker 19: You know.
Speaker 3: Ugo palm's got sharp little points on it, and if you're swinging a grubbing hoe or something, you hit your hands on those and you got a problem.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: So I would do that. Uh you know, if it were mine, I don't know if you can get to it. But here I go with my redneck advice of the way I do things. I would throw I throw a chain. Yeah, I throw a chain.
Speaker 34: It right by my front door. So no, that's not gonna work.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I was gonna say, I throw a chain around the cut up you're pickup bumper.
Speaker 34: That would tear up more than it would it would tear up more less way my entry way.
Speaker 20: So yeah, no, we've already thought about it.
Speaker 34: I was just trying to you're just taking a plant something there sooner or later, just dig it out.
Speaker 3: Well, you're taking all the fun out of life because my favorite solutions involved chains, pick up bumpers, and fire.
Speaker 33: We can't use any of those pulled off her front yard front of the house.
Speaker 3: All right, so you're back to trying to grub it out. Yes, yeah, yeah, so they're okay. I don't know if this will work, but the only spray that I know of to try is something containing trichlope here t r I c l O p y R. I have never tried to poison a se palm.
Speaker 26: I just have, but I would that work.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just it's ugly.
Speaker 34: I mean that's how I did my bananas and the stupid Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is more of almost a woody shrub. If you if you rate some tricle peer on it, don't get it on anything desirable because it kills broad leaf period flowers and shrubs and trees and whatnot. But just spread it on the or uh the way we use tricle pier in weeds, like you got hackberries and fence lines and stuff. You just cut them off and you you dab the product on the fresh cut. Just dab it right on that fresh cut and you don't have to spray it at all. So if you could break off a pup and dab it on that wound in there, I might try that and see if that works. Again, I'm not saying it'll work, because I've never tried to kill a track a h A, yeah, tracle palm, whatever you try, if it works, I'd like to know. I'd like to know because I may run into someone else whose wife doesn't want them tearing up the front of the house.
Speaker 20: You know, That's why I called you boss.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, thanks for the I appreciate it. You have a wonderful Sunday as well. You take care, Bobby. You know one thing I like about guarden line is I never know what the next question is going to be, and it's always yeah, I've been doing this thirty five years. I've been gardening my whole life. But I've been professionally doing this thirty five years, and I still hear questions. I've never heard, first time ever, anyone's ever asked me how to poison a well, I've ever had to try to think of a way to poison a sago palm. That's a new.
Speaker 4: One for me.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, The folks at Heirloom Soils have created a large selection of quality soil materials. You know, when I think about terms like well I want to plant fruit trees, how about their fruit berry and citrus micks. Well I want to grow roses, and how about their roses and bloomers blend and it not just roses, but that's the primary one that people buy it for. But you can use it for a lot of things. Veggie and urb mix. There you go, veggies, herbs, you need it. I use their cactie soul mix also, I use that indoors. I'm on our uh when we're repotting our strings of you know, string of all the above and succulents and cacti works good for that. The works potting soil.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Talking to my sister the other day and she's looking for a potting soil, and I said, well, why don't you get some of the works from Heirloom Soils. It's a good high quality potting soil. You got clay soils you're struggling with, Get you some expanded jail. Put that out. Mix it in late about two or three inches thick, and mix it in as deeply as you can and it'll work wonders on a clay and it'll last a long long time. Or you can buy their expanded jail mixed with compost, which is also a good way to work on a clay. That a clay soil that you're want to do a bid in. Just go to Heirloomsoils dot com and find out more. There's a great calculator on there to help you these products. You can buy them by the bulk. You can go out to Porter Texas and have them loaded on your truck or trailer. You can have them deliver it to your house and various ways from just dumping on the driveway to one of their supersacks. It's a big, old giant sack that holds a cubic yard of soil and they just set it there on the driveway, neat and clean and easy. You can buy it by the bag at garden centers and feed stores. You can go down to Southwest Fertilizer I was talking about a minute ago. They've got those down there. They got their products down there as well. Ace hardware stores often carry those products. Just get airlom soils wherever you can get it, get it. It's gonna be a good soil. It's gonna be a good mix. You're gonna have good results because remember brown's up before green stuff. Airloom soils high high quality brown stuff. We're gonna go. Now, let's see what's the time. Yeah, I got time, Mary and Champions. Welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 13: I just listened to your aunt just now. And that was my question, is what brand of dirt would you recommend? I have some rich bushes in the backyard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're in the Champions area. You can have them deliver it, or you can go get it on how much you want. If you're gonna do a big bed, I'd get it bulk. It's cheaper.
Speaker 13: I can't.
Speaker 3: If you just.
Speaker 13: Just a few bags, yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 3: By the bag, you know. And let's see Champions. You you could call around. There's some Ace Hardware stores near you. I don't keep track of what each store carries of each of the many many product lines heirloom has, but uh, you're let's see Champions. That's nineteen sixty up in there. I'm trying to think of. You've got an Ace Hardware store on Jones Road that's gonna have a lot of things. You got m and d Ace Hardware a little for the north than that. Just go to Ace Hardware dot com. Uh, and do the store locator. I think you'll find it there.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then they're going to have it at some of your garden centers in your area as well.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm near to heat and feet. I think I'll give them a try. Do you have to know if they might carry it?
Speaker 3: I don't off the top of my hand, but you know, if you if you got a little time and a warning, they probably can get it in. But I would give give them a call see what they have.
Speaker 13: Okay, thanks a lot.
Speaker 3: All right, man, thanks a lot. Appreciate that call. You're listening to Guardenline our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. Piercescapes Landscape Design Installation. Uh you need Do you need irrigation work done to get it fixed? Most people's system needs work. Do you want landscape lighting? Do you want do you want to beautify your place? Do you want to create that outdoor backyard patio setting?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Anything you can imagine in terms of that beauty. Go to Piercescapes dot com. Pierscapes dot com. Take a look at the pictures at their website. You'll see what they can do. Now, maybe you don't you know, have a taj mahal and want to do that level. They can do your yard to the things you want to do. You want to redo a flower bed, you want to put some good hearty trust sty shrubs that are drought resistant and cold resent something in it. They can do that. Write their phone number down and give them a call Monday morning two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. Get on the schedule. Let's get them working on your yard to create magic, because boy does that ever what they do. All right, folks, time for a quick break. I'll be right back the time to do it here. You are welcome to give as call if you'd like. The phone number seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four makes it real easy to reach out and get some good information. Hopefully. That's what I try to provide, is good information to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and enjoy it in the process. And I got to remind I haven't said that in a while, but I need it. I need to say it again. Gardening is supposed to be fun. Gardening is definitely healthy, it's definitely good for your mind, it's good for your well being in general. But it's supposed to be fun. Don't worry about failing at gardening. You cannot fail at gardening. Unless you give up. Then you failed at gardening. Don't worry about it. Give me a call. Let's help you have success. Contact your county agro Life Extension office. That's what they're for. Reach out to some of the university websites that have research based information that will help you have success, like here in Texas our Aggie Horticulture websites very good for that. There's too many good resources out there. Your county Extension office is in Ever County in Texas, serves Ever County in Texas or Centre and fifty four counties. I think it's in two hundred and fifty or fifty two. You get out West Texas where there's more jack rabbits and people, and there may not be one in the county, but it's served by the next county. In other words, wherever you are. You got help and run the Houston area. You're fortunate because you actually have a lot of I think six different horticulturists here in the greater Houston area. Brass County, Montgomery County, out in Orange, down in Galveston, Fort ben County, Brazoria County. What I'm a Houston Harris County. I'm probably leaving somebody out anyway. There's a bunch here and you get good help that way. So no reason, no reason to not succeed in gardening. Just don't give up, don't don't quit, don't quit trying. All right, Well, I guess I've made my point there. If you'd like to give me call seven one three, two fifty eight seventy four. Buchanan's Native Plants in the Heights, isn't It's just an outstanding place to go. I love going. That was there for an appearance earlier this fall, and it's just always magical there. They've got quality folks working that are friendly, that help you, that know what they're talking about. They've got the plants you need. If you're interested in natives, you're not gonna find a better selection than Buchanan's Plants in the whole region. They have the biggest selection of all kinds of native plants right now. They got strawberries in. You know, October is primetime for strawberries. There's some real cool varieties and four inch containers. Get now, get them in the ground, water them in well, and begin fertilizing them. Begin fertilizing. You can use fertilizers to sprinkle in the soil and water in. You can use a liquid food products by Medina for example. A Microlife has some good liquid food products as well. Keep those strawberries growing, because I'm telling you you will have the best crop you can imagine in early early spring all the way into about May if you get them planted now. Buchanan's got those. Of course, Buchanans has lots of fall color. They've got an unbelievable selection of houseplants as well. I was just in their houseplant greenhouse the other day. Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Go there Buchanans Plants dot com. Buchanans Plants dot com. Sign up for the newsletter. It is a load of good information. They've got plants, they got the fertilizers that I talk about on Gardenine. They've got a wonderful gift shop. And they're on Eleventh Street in the heights. Let's see, let's go to Donnie now in Montgomery, Texas. Hey, Donnie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Good morning is good.
Speaker 30: I I cannot remember new to the Montgomery area. And you'd mentioned in the place to buy good fruit trees out there that will actually produce in this climate, and I cannot remember what that one?
Speaker 13: Would you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, your garden center, your hometown, your hometown garden center. Right there is a and A Plants and Produce there on the east side of Montgomery on one oh five, just on the edge of town as sure if you're going toward Conrad there on the left. So I would go there and I would talk to them, and they do carry free trees they have. I saw blueberries out there the other day, and I was trying to think of what else I did I notice. I was walking around, just kind of getting a lay of the land. They're probably going to be getting some others in, so you may want to give them a call or just stop in either way, but find out what they're getting and when so you can and maybe you know it may be that they can order for you depend on what the plan is. They may be able. Maybe they don't normally carry it, but they can get in. I know they have citrus right now out there at Ana Plants the last time I looked, too, so i'd give them a call. They're your backyard garden center. We got some others that aren't too far from you as well, but I would start there at A and E since you're there in Montgomery.
Speaker 30: Okay, all right, that's what I needed.
Speaker 3: You've got good luck with that, and call in anytime. We want to get you to have good success at your new place out there. We're going to go run now to Mike and let's see here if I can find the right button. Hey, Mike, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 24: Good morning, Skip real quick, I'd like to know how to get rid of a ever growing or increasing in size clump of bamboo cane out behind my garage. It's been there for years. I cut it back. It seems the more I cut it, the bigger the ball of it gets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's a clump, not a running bamboo.
Speaker 24: That's now it's just one big giant clump. But it's got it's gotten big. I mean it started out as maybe a putting around, a put a half around, and now how you've got four feet around?
Speaker 3: Okay. If you go online to my website Gardening with Skip dot com, there's a publication it's called Herbicides for Skips weed wiper. But it's not just for the weed wiper, but it has by type of plant, which ingredients and then there's a list of products for that ingredient that you would get retail. You want a grass killer or you want to use glyphosate on those plants. Now, grass killers kill any grass, bamboos of grass. The glyphosate kills any plant in bamboos a plant, but don't get it on anything desirable. If when the shoots are coming up, you can wipe them with herbicide using my weed wiper. It shows you how to make one if you want to do that, or just spray the foliage and just stay with it. And if the bamboo needs to be actively growing for it to be effective. But those products will be effective, but you might start by, you know, cutting it all back to the ground again and when the new growth comes out, after it gets a foot or so high, you got some leaves to work with, begin to apply those to it and you just have to stay with it. It's got a ton of storage capacity underground, so one little application is not going to get rid of it. All you got to. You gotta kind of knock it back and then knock it back again.
Speaker 24: Okay, Well, thank you very much. I enjoy your show, and you've been very helpful.
Speaker 3: All right. You know, if you knew what kind you had, I bet there's some gardeners that come dig it up for you. A lot of people won't get this thing out of it. That's right, all right, man, I'm just trying to make you a few bucks. Got to buy those Christmas you might enjoy its. Thanks for the call. That's it. Yeah, there you go. You do need tobacco. Yeah, I need to write a humorous piece sometime. Plants you need a baco to get rid of. One of them is crying thems too. If you've ever tried to dig up a crinum, it'll kill you. All right, time for take a break. I'll be right back for our last segment. Hang around if you won't give us a call seven months listening the end of the day. We always appreciate having folks listen. I know I've got a lot of shy folks out there that listen but won't call in. I know that you should should call in, should ask your questions if you If you got a question, other people will too, and we will treat it with respect and make sure you get a good answer. That's how this works, all right. Well, gosh, there's so many things to talk about. I'm trying to figure out what to do with our last bit of the time here today. First of all, I want to tell you about some of the liquid products for Microlife because falls for planting and when you put a plant in the ground, to drench it in, to water it in with a good quality product, it really helps.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I like the Biomatrix that's an orange label, orange label. It's a seven to one to three fertilizer. I use it for my indoor plants, and I can use it for outdoor plants too. It works good for that as well. There is a couple of products though, that I think you should consider when when you're watering a new plant in, things like the Microlife super Seaweed, the Microlife Ocean Harvest, the Microlife Liquid Humtes plus those are all excellent products for watering a new plant.
Speaker 4: In.
Speaker 3: They've got one now in a court bottle called Microlife Soil and Plant Energy, and it is a very effective product. It's a liquid and it provides the things that are necessary in the soil so that plant can produce success. That includes bigger that includes roots, that includes flowers or fruit or whatever you need. And they're all available from Microlife. Just mix them in, drench them in. Their natural products are not salt based. You're not king of burn plants with them. Just follow the label, dilute it down, make it go farther and it works really well. I like also their Microlife Humic Acid Complex. It's got humic acid and fulvic acid in it. And then the micro Grow liquid ap Do you hear how many products these are. They're all from Microlife. If you don't learn about them, go to Microlife for Fertilizer dot com Microlife Fertilizer dot com. They're widely available here in the Greater Houston area. In fact, they're widely available for outside of our area as well. But Microlife products work, and we talk a lot about the dry product, you know, the sixty four for summer fertilizing the lawn, the brown patch for fall fertilizing the bioinoculant that I keep recommending to you for adding to the brown patch to give better biological activity on the grass plant and around the root system for better success. Those are all there. But try some of these liquid products. They work well. Just keep them on hand. Anytime you're doing any thing for your plans, give them a boost of that, and you're going to find good success. That's how that works. Our phone number seven one three two one two five eight seven four or seven one three two one two KTRH. If that makes it a little easier for you. Now, I usually say this at the end of the show, and that is that people wait to call until the last minute and then you can't get in. I actually have an open board right now and I got about room for two calls probably, So if you like to give us a call and have a question, we could still do that. And if den calls occur, well, good luck. We'll just we'll just go with it that way. I wanted to mention a couple of other things about the fall season that we're entering. The season we are we are. We're waiting for the call front to hit. But if you look at the calendar. It's fall, and we got to go by the calendar because you never know when when we're entering the fall season. I would encourage you to think about it as a time to plan your renovations. You know, we've had another one of those summers that takes its toll on our plants. Absolutely takes a toll on our plants. And when we have that kind of thing, you can walk around right now, maybe this morning, get out there, walk around a little bit, a cup of coffee in your hand, and take a look. See what you see. Where's the lawn struggling. Maybe it's an area that you just can't water really well and it's struggling there. Maybe something else needs to be put there. Maybe you got a plant that's in too much shade or too much sun that's struggling. Maybe you look at your landscape and it's like, that's a sea of green. I mean green's pretty, but green, green and green. How about some other colors? What could we do there? What would be a fall blooming plant that would be blooming right now in the next couple now, in the coming month, that would go good there? Do that landscape planning, because fall is for planning. Whether you plant it this month or next month, or even if you wait till spring. Now's a good time because now shows you the truth. You know, this is when the ugly tends to be out. The end of summer. Our landscapes are tired. The landscapers are tired. We're hiding inside in the air conditioning, and our plants are screaming for us to get out there and water. Now's a good time to look because it gives you a chance to determine what needs to be done. What would I like to change, And we always need to be changing our plants, you know. Inside the house, you know, people occasionally repaint, I don't know. They may redo the furniture, put new drapes in or something like that, just to kind of spruce it up, make it look better, or just have a change. You know, do you still have those avocado colored appliances from nineteen seventies. It's time to change. The same is true in your landscape. Get out and check it out. Drive around towns, notice what you like. Go to a botanical garden it's beautiful, and get ideas. But mainly just walk around. Stand out at the street. You don't live at that house, at your house, but pretend you don't live there. You just drove up and looked what could be improved on? What could be improved by walk out in the backyard. You know, yeah, I haven't been out here because it's so blazing hot this summer. Okay, how about a trellis over that patio with a vine on it. Maybe a trellis with grapes on it, that's kind of cool that western wall. Go out and let's see do this. Go ahead at seven o'clock at night, put your hand on the western wall to your house and feel how hot it is. That heat is radiating back into your house into the early evening hours, and you're paying air conditioning money to overcome it. How about a vine, a trellis and a vine to shade that western wall, or maybe plant a tree there that can provide you that shange. Do you see what I'm talking about. I'm talking about getting out and planning, thinking about what would be better, what would look better. Maybe you got an area that's really a maintenance headache. It just is for whatever reason. How about changing that plan? How about doing something different there that is lower maintenance. You should always landscape with maintenance and mind. Among your other things, among the beauty and aesthetics, maintenance is a big deal. I do not create right angles in my lawn anymore. Quit doing that long time ago. Right angles. You run the lawn more up to them, and then you got to back up and try to go sideways down. A nice smooth curve that you can mow around is so much easier. It's a simple little maintenance trick that works really really well. Look at the weeds. If you got weeds, chances are you don't have good mulch cover. Now, there's some weeds that grow through maults, and that said bermuda grass grows through maults. But a lot of weeds are because we let sunlight hit the soil. Look at your lawn. Do you have weedy areas?
Speaker 4: All? Right?
Speaker 8: There?
Speaker 3: You go fall fertilizer. Let's get that thing strong. And next year you're going to mow, water and fertilize regularly, and your lawn's going to be sedentsa weeds. He doesn't have a chance, not a chance, because he can't get sunlight. Simple tip, simple topics, simple ideas, simple tricks, simple things to check, and let's make gardening more successful and more fun. Now, how about the fall garden. What have you not grown before that you might want to try? The fall garden is green season greens like kale, and collars like lettuce and spinach, like a regular with its nutty flavor, like sorel, which it's with its lemony flavors. Those are all cool season greens. They do really really well here. How about some of the Asian greens. Oh my gosh, there's so many good ones. Bock Choys about as easy as you can get. You just can't beat back choice. There's another one called chi jemsi. Oh boy, that's a long word. C h I j I m I s A. If you don't get that, listen to the podcast g GMSI is mild. It's not so mustardy as some Asian grands are. It's wonderful. If you're never grown it for the why not try it. If you don't like it, that's okay, But what if you do. It's a new thing to add to your salads, to add zip and flavor and interest new. Try something new. What rows would you like to have? You got a sunny spot for it, or a large large container you can grow a smaller rose in. Try one of those this fall. I guess what I'm saying is, let's get out and have fun. Use your imagination. You know, if we wait until fall for blooming plants, well we should have planted them before so we could enjoy them in the fall. That's the idea. Hey, next Saturday, Enchanted Forest one thirty or eleven thirty to one thirty.
Speaker 8: Be there.