Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Ok F Fine and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange.
Speaker 3: County and you Amy Okay, it is.
Speaker 1: Five o'clock straight up. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, October first. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. First day of October. Halloween is coming. The green light has been lit. You can decorate your homes now. I know we talked about this last week. Half the people have already started decorating, but I held off. But now I'm going. And speaking of going, we have so much going on, so much to get to, but we've got you covered. Going to get you all updated on what happened overnight, also keep you up to date on traffic conditions. So buckle up, let's get going. Here's what's the head on your Tuesday morning wake up call. Tens of thousands of union members with the International Longshoreman's Association have gone on strike, affecting ports from Maine to Texas. The strike's going to affect imports and exports nationwide, which could cost the country an estimated five billion dollars a day. We're going to find out how the strike will affect you with ABC's Jim Ryan. That's coming up at five twenty. The flare up in the fire burning and the San Bernardino Mountains is prompted officials to upgrade an evacuation warning to an order for the Angelus Oaks community. Seven Oaks residents were ordered to get out Sunday afternoon. The fires down from eighty three to seventy eight percent surrounded. The fire was started by an arsonist. September fifth, jd Vance and Tim Walls are hours away from the one on one and only vice presidential debate. Former President Trump's running mate says he'll go after Tim Walls's left wing views. Vice President Harris's running mate says he'll focus on things like Americans' ability to thrive. We're going to find out how they're preparing and how they plan to score points against the other with ABC's Stephen Portnoy.
Speaker 4: That's coming up in less than five minutes.
Speaker 1: A little later this hour, Joel Larsgard is going to tell us about how the cost of your morning cup of coffee just went up and what you can do about it. And with the holiday travel season right around the corner. Joel's going to let us know when we should be booking our flights, what days to travel again, that's all coming up before the top of the hour. And also, be honest, would you rather spend time with your pet or with people? We've got a new study that will tell us that and some other fun things we found out in the study as well about how we are a little bit crazy about our pets.
Speaker 4: Guilty is charged at.
Speaker 1: Six oh five. It's handled on the news. The aftermath of Hurricane Helene has been described as apocalyptic. President Biden's headed there tomorrow. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. Parts of southern California are under an excessive heat advisory.
Speaker 5: The San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys are under an excessive heat warning until tomorrow night, as temps are expected to get up to one oh eight. National Weather Service meteorologist Chandler Price says heat waves are not uncommon in October.
Speaker 6: COM's logically, we tend to peak here in southwest California in late August into early September.
Speaker 4: However, heat waves have occurred into November.
Speaker 5: He says temperatures will cool down a bit Thursday and Friday, and we'll pick back up over the weekend. A red flag warning of critical fire danger will be in effect until eight pm Thursday along the western San Gabriel Mountains. Chris Adler KFI News.
Speaker 1: The effects of ex Hurricane Helene are being felt in North Carolina days after the storm made landfall. ABC spath aubu Bay says some of the worst damage is in western parts of the state.
Speaker 7: While authority sorts for victims and bring in much needed food and water, it's been raining, they're still dealing with remnants of Helene. There's also a massive clean up effort still ahead.
Speaker 1: President Biden says he'll go to North Carolina tomorrow to see the damage firsthand. The storm has been blamed on more than one hundred and thirty deaths across six states, and hundreds of people are still unaccounted for. Supporters of a tough on crime ballot measure are asking the people of LA for their vote.
Speaker 8: Prop thirty six would repeal parts of Prop forty seven and create harsher punishments for some theft and drug crimes. LA City councilwoman Tracy Park says things are now worse than ever, ten years after Prop forty seven passed.
Speaker 7: Braisen Thieves are breaking into people's cars their homes in broad daylight. They don't even care if you're there.
Speaker 8: Park was joined by others yesterday, including her fellow city councilman John Lee, who represents Northridge and Porter Ranch in Venice Blake Surely kaf I news.
Speaker 1: The California DMV no longer requires most drivers seventy and older to take a written test when renewing their license. Those drivers will still have to visit an office for a vision exam and take an updated photo to renew their license. A bill signed by Governor Newsom will allow cannabis dispensaries in California to deserve hot food and non alcoholic drinks. Right now, people can smoke, vape and have food samples in some dispensaries where prepackaged snacks and drinks are sold. Supporters of the bills say the so called cannabis cafe model is like what exists in Amsterdam, where cannabis is legal in coffee shops. The La Times reports the American Cancer Society Society Society is against the bill, saying secondhand marijuana smoke can cause things like cardiovascular disease and asthma. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen Portnoy.
Speaker 4: So, Stephen, the big and.
Speaker 1: Only vice president vice presidential debate is tonight.
Speaker 4: What does each side hope to accomplish?
Speaker 9: Well, I think, Look, I think the first thing you want to do is not do any harm to your running mate.
Speaker 4: That's the first objective.
Speaker 9: Beyond that, maybe it's to persuade the voters that the other guy is not the right choice. I'm not sure how much vice presidential debates matter, and so I think there's a bit of a pro forma aspect of it tonight. But also there's the idea that this is the last scheduled opportunity for Americans to hear from either of these campaigns in the person of the running mate, if not the top of the ticket. There's no more presidential debates scheduled, and so this could be the last time. Look, this is going to happen tonight at the CBS News headquarters on the West side of Manhattan, in a studio that was once home to Captain Kangaroo.
Speaker 4: Oh I remember Captain King, right, I know it's.
Speaker 9: Obviously not going to look the same television as you know as a right, and it's pretty I saw a picture of it last night. You're going to have first term senator, author and yet educated lawyer JD. Vance against former high school football coach six term Congressmen in Minnesota Governor Tim Walls as a matter of substance, well, I don't know about substance noise.
Speaker 4: Vance is going to go after.
Speaker 9: Walls, likely for claiming that he once carried weapons in war when he was never deployed to a war zone. He's going to cast Walls as someone who retired from the National Guard knowing that his unit was about to be deployed to a rock even though Walls denies that. He's going to say that Walls claimed that he earned a rank he didn't stay long enough in the Guard to keep. Walls is likely to push back and say that after a quarter century of service in the National Guard, he's very proud of his service and his service to the country and the Congress. I expect that Walls will play into Vance's unfavorability with the public for the things that he has said about democratic women, describing them as childless cat ladies the allegations of false allegations he's aired about migrants in his home state of Ohio eating household pets. Vance recently sent it in anto that he created that story just to draw media attention to the problems caused by migrants in Ohio.
Speaker 4: I did he created it?
Speaker 9: He said, and in seeing an interview that he sometimes has to create stories, and he has no problem with doing so because the media, he says, would otherwise pay no attention. So expect Walls to bring that up. Here's something else. In the years I've been covering national politics, amy, I've never known a candidate to telegraph in advance how nervous he is going into a debate. But that is something that's want. That's what Walls is doing, and you know, backing it up. A source confirms to us that Walls told Kamala Harris before she picked him that he's a bad debater. Now, why in the world would you want the world to know that before the debate. I think it's obvious that it's it's expectations setting there, trying to set a bar very low. But I don't know that it matters much. And the Trump campaign is kind of laughing at Off, saying, look, after six terms in Congress and a statewide race for governor, and not to mention all the years tussling with high school football players and students, Walls will probably appear very polished and well prepared on the stage. Vance as a Yale educated attorney and someone who likes to mix it up with interviewers and journalists on the campaign trail, has that level of experience going into tonight. Let's see how it all plays out. One key thing when it comes to the rules, the CBS News producers have made it clear that they don't expect that the moderators Nora O'Donnell or Margaret Brennan will be fact checking these candidates in real time. They're going to leave it to the respective candidates to do it themselves, which is a you know, it is a statement on the part of that network and also on the part of you know. It sets up an expectation that the candidates themselves will have to bring it, you know, as I think is fair. You know, if you hear the other guy saying something that's wrong, you should.
Speaker 4: Call it out. And they're going to be able to because their mics are going to be on right.
Speaker 9: That's right, and that also is a change from the last couple of debates. I look forward to the days we no longer have to talk about the rules of these things.
Speaker 1: All right, then, with that, thank you so much, Stephen Portnoy. Hopefully we can catch up after the debate and see if it really was worth watching you back. All right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. And by the way, I will be watching or listening, you know, we can. You can listen to it right here on KFI. We're airing at live at six pm. But let's get back to some other stories. Immigration officials say more than six hundred and seventy thousand illegal immigrants waiting for a court appearance in the US have been convicted of a crime.
Speaker 6: And according to stats released in a document, more than thirteen thousand of those illegal immigrants have committed murder and nearly sixteen thousand were convicted of sexual assault. KFI News obtained the documents sent to members of Congress that summarize the number of criminal migrants who remain in the US awaiting their day in court. Those numbers include illegal immigrants who crossed the California Mexico border up to July of this year. Homeland Security officials also said sanctuary cities are protecting violent criminals, many of whom pray on the very community giving them sanctuary. Steve greg Riquaa finals the.
Speaker 1: Armorer on the set of Rust, will not get a new trial in her involuntary manslaughter case in New Mexico. Hannah Gutiera's reed is serving eighteen months for the onset shooting death of cinematographer Helena Hutchins in twenty twenty one. Gutierras Reid asked for the new trial over evidence withheld in her trial, but the judge wrote that it would not have changed the trial's outcome. Alec Baldwin, who fired the gun that killed Hutchins, got his case dismissed in July when prosecutors were accused of withholding evidence. The Israeli militaries ordered the evacuation of nearly two dozen Lebanese communities near the border. It happened hours after Israel sent ground forces into southern Lebanon in what it described as a limited incursion against Hesbolah. The militants group new leader told Israel's defense forces that they are ready and waiting.
Speaker 9: Nam Cassen has last number two warning Israel, so if they enter by land, his troops are going to be ready for battle.
Speaker 1: ABC's Ian Panel says the IDFs air Force and artillery units are targeting areas close to the Israeli border to support ground forces. A bill signed by Governor Newsoen will allow cannabis dispensaries in California to serve hot food and non alcoholic drinks.
Speaker 4: Hey, I already did this story. Forget that former baseball star Pete Rose has died.
Speaker 1: He set records for the number of hits, games played, and at bats, but his reputation, of course, turnished by scandal. Rose was banned from the game in nineteen eighty nine for gambling while playing and managing the Cincinnati Reds, including making bets on his own team. He talked reporters about the ban in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: I went baseball and Pete Rose to be friends.
Speaker 10: That's all I want for so I can say I'm not an outsider looking at.
Speaker 1: Rose died yesterday at his home in Las Vegas. Pete Rose was eighty three years old. So when I got news about this, I started thinking about it. Of course, you know, the greatest hitter of all time in the game, and yeah, betting on the game not a good thing, and that got him kicked out of baseball. But he's not in the Hall of Fame. And I don't know how you feel about this, And I thought, I remember thinking about it a while ago and thinking, Nah, he broke the rules. He shouldn't be there. I'm wondering now that he has died, if they may induct him posthumously. Kno's shaking his head.
Speaker 11: No, because it wasn't just betting. He bet on his teams. It wasn't like he bet on other teams.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 11: That's what they found out. So that's why I love Pete Rose. It was fun to watch him play. I watched old videos to him all the time. But you don't think he should be in the in the Hall.
Speaker 4: I really don't.
Speaker 1: And I kind of think that he should because I don't think the betting affected his excellence on the field as a player.
Speaker 4: I know, but I also I don't know. I waffle on it.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see if they do do it, but they've been pretty adamant that that wasn't going to happen. I know that there's been talk of it over the years, but that's that's my thought on it. I think maybe maybe yes. A fifty one year old man has been charged with fatally shooting a passenger on a metro bus, then hijacking the bus, which led to a high speed chase from South LA into downtown LA. Fifty one year old Lamont Campbell is scheduled to be arraigned today. The driver and another passenger were rescued. Police have not said what a motive for the shooting may have been. The Israeli military has begun what it has called a limited localized operation against Hesbo LA targets in southern Lebanon. The IDF says it's targets pose an immediate threat to Israeli communities in northern Israel. We're also getting word that the IDF has hit targets in Syria overnight. Baseball's all time hit leader has died. Pete Rose passed away at his home in Vegas yesterday. Racked up forty two hundred fifty six hits over twenty four seasons, but was banned from baseball because he bet on the game, including on his own team. Because of the ban, he was never admitted to Baseball's Hall of Fame. He rose was eighty three.
Speaker 4: Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 6: Jim, the Duck.
Speaker 4: Workers have walked.
Speaker 12: They have by the tens of thousands from Port Up in Maine all the way down to the port at Houston, forty five thousand workers on the Pigott lines this morning. The International Longshoreman's Association had been talking about this strike for some time, had been in negotiations with the US Maritime Alliance, which represents the ports. So the two sides finally broke it off last night. There had been talked of a potential agreement between the two that did not happen before the midnight deadline. And so the strike is underway today.
Speaker 4: Amy, Okay. So even though progress was possibly made, not enough that they'd call.
Speaker 10: It off exactly. And so here we sit.
Speaker 12: The Longshoreman Association has been demanding a seventy seven percent raised over the six year life of the comments.
Speaker 10: Seventy seven that's a lot over sixty years.
Speaker 4: How much do they make?
Speaker 12: We know some of them can make up to two hundred thousand dollars. The base salaries about eighty one thousand per year. But again, I mean it can go much higher than that, depending upon where they work and the length of service, that sort of thing. So it's a pretty hefty salary already and stands to get higher.
Speaker 13: They look.
Speaker 12: Part of the demand that they have that the Long Showman Association has is that automation is cutting into jobs they are on the ports, and they want to see that stopped altogether. Now I'm not sure exactly, you know, are you talking about cranes that lift the containers off the ship. Surely not, But I think at some point they're saying that that automation is doing the jobs that people can do. For example, it's the things you see in Amazon warehouses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like the instead of having people drive around on the forklifts, now they'll just have robots.
Speaker 12: Doing exactly and that therefore you have a human forklift driver who doesn't have a job anymore.
Speaker 1: Interesting interesting argument, because, like you said, it's happening at Amazon.
Speaker 4: Look at it.
Speaker 1: Look at a car manufacturing plant. Now it's almost all automated, right.
Speaker 12: I mean, there are still people along that assembly line, but so many of the jobs are being done by robots. And that's coming into the port and the cargo industry as well. And so yeah, that's that's been a concern of the ILA for some time.
Speaker 1: You Know, what I started thinking about yesterday when they were talking about this strike and that it was going to be on the East coast ports and down to Texas was the Port of Baltimore, which was closed for how long?
Speaker 4: Was it closed for three months or.
Speaker 10: Something when the bridge was hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the bridge was hit, and I.
Speaker 1: Was wondering what happened to those workers and were they just off the job or did they get paid during that time.
Speaker 12: Well, I suspect that the union stepped in and helped out, because that's what part of the job of the union is to support workers who are out of a job for no reason.
Speaker 10: Of their own.
Speaker 12: He also had the Port of Orlando which was closed down because of Hurricane Helene, and it caused disruptions in getting supplies into those victims of the hurricane from this past few weeks. You know, they need water and food and supplies in their gasoline everything else. This puts the administration in a really tough situation. President Biden is trying to win the support of union voters you know, they've been kind of on Hl's with the unions for some time now, the Democrats. But he also doesn't want the economy to tank. So it's a tough line that he's trying to toew here because if he comes down in favor of the Union, then you know, people are going to say that he's allowing the economy to slip. If he comes down in favor of the association that runs the ports, then union voters might get mad at him.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting too because now with Harris actually running for president, could she dv from what Biden does? So could Biden say you got to get back to work, and Harris could distance herself from him by saying, yeah, no, I wouldn't have done it that way, but I'm not the president yet.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a really interesting time that we're.
Speaker 1: In right now, and Jim the administration could order them back to work. Isn't there something that could require them to go back.
Speaker 12: Yeah, something like we saw with the flight the air traffic controllers back in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 10: So it's possible, I suppose. I don't think that's likely.
Speaker 12: The White House did put out a statement this morning not taking sides but telling both sides, the port owners, port managers and the International Long Terman's Association to get back to the bargaining table and to negotiate in good faith.
Speaker 10: So that's as far as they're taking right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's what's happening at the actual ports and the docks. But what's going to be the immediate effect on us?
Speaker 12: Well, for you in law Los Angeles, it's likely that a lot of the cargo that would have been coming through Houston and Miami and Orlando, you know those ports there, they may shift that around to the West coast, and so you could see kind of a backlog and much much busier ports out there on the West coast. But for consumers prices, the longer this goes, the more noticeable the impact might be on prices we pay. Walmart is a major importer of goods from especially from China, Ikia, Home Depot, Continental Tire, Hyundai, all sorts of businesses out there rely on the cargo that arrives from overseas. Something like seventy percent of the stuff in our homes has been brought in by cargo ships.
Speaker 1: So on the East coast they're not getting Christmas and on the West coast where everything's getting shifted to we get bonus Christmas.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, that'll work.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's the way it plays out.
Speaker 1: But that does bring up another question, and that is if they are shifting it, because I did see that they're shifting some of the ships or you know, telling them to go to Anchorage, Alaska instead because they can't stop at the ports on the East coast. Are they going to possibly just start sending the ships to the West coast offload them, which of course is going to cause a huge backlog, but then ship stuff by truck back to the East coast.
Speaker 10: Yes, exactly, so that's going to add.
Speaker 4: That'll effect prices as well.
Speaker 12: Yes, exactly right, and it will delay getting supplies out to those people in the hurricanes zone the Carolinas or they're going to be suffering for a long long time until they need this stuff, yeah, lumber and everything else. And so sure, if it can't come through the East coast, by the way, cruise lines probably will not be affected. I think that in those ports like at Miami and at Galveston where they have a big cruise line presence New Orleans, that those operations will continue. But it's the it's the cargo ships, the big container ships that you see that are likely to be impacted by this.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, it'll be interesting to see if it lasts more than a couple days. Hopefully not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, BABC, Jim Ryan, thanks so much for the info, Pami. The City of La has opened hundreds of cooling centers to help people deal with extreme heat. Got heat advisories going into effect later this morning. Mayor Bess's offices, recreation and parks facilities, and local libraries will be opened through tomorrow evening. In the LA Department of Water and Power says it is ready to help meet customer demand. It says crews are ready to respond to possible power outages and extra staff are on standby. All public schools in California now have to teach students about the nation's first segregation case, Mendes versus Westminster.
Speaker 2: The case paved the way for brownbe Board of Education, which also resulted in the ruling that segregation was unconstitutional. Assemblement Treetass says it's about honoring the often overlooked case where students were denied entry into a white school in the nineteen forties and were told to go to a Mexican school.
Speaker 10: There was a fight for educational opportunity. There was a fight for law. She will ride and it had my named.
Speaker 4: Westminster TOAZ.
Speaker 2: Bill signed into law last week requires Mendez v. Westminster be added to history and social science classes in Westminster.
Speaker 4: Core Ben Carson, kf I news.
Speaker 1: Ford says it's going to help owners of electric vehicles by making it easier to charge their cars at home. EV expert Chad Kirchner says that'll be more convenient than using public stations.
Speaker 6: When you buy or lease a new electric FOD vehicle so Mustang Machy and A one fifty eighty in earning transit, you can get a free home charger.
Speaker 1: The Energy Department says eighty percent of EV owners choose to charge at home most of the time. Ships on their way to the East Coast and the Gulf Coast are being re routed to Anchorage, Alaska, now that tens of thousands of union dock workers have gone on strike. The workers want increases in pay and more protections from automated technology. The strike will affect ports from Maine to Texas and could cost the country five billion dollars a day. Despite several high profile shootings and stabbings on metro trains and buses, the Transit agency says more people are riding. More than twenty one million people rode buses in August. That's more than eight percent increase from twenty twenty three. Rail ridership was almost up to six million dollars in August. That's a two and a half percent increase from before the pandemic. President Jimmy Carter celebrates his one hundredth birthday today. A star studded event was already held last month, with the B fifty two's Sean Penn and former President Obama making appearances. It'll be available to watch online. Carter is the longest living president in US history. He's been in hospice since February of twenty twenty three. At six oh five, it's handle all the news. Just about a half hour away, Israeli troops have started a limited ground offensive in Lebanon. At five point fifty Joel large Guard. It's going to tell us about what we can do now that the cost of our morning cup of coffee just went up, and also with the holidays just around the corner, a lot of people are going to be booking travel and heading out on flights.
Speaker 4: He's going to tell us when we should book and when we should fly. So here's the question.
Speaker 1: Do you like your pets more than people? And I want to bring Anne into the conversation. Cono, you don't currently have pets, but you have had dogs, correct?
Speaker 4: Okay? And Nick, you don't currently have pets do you? No, not currently, but I've had them quite a few. Okay.
Speaker 1: So this new study says that almost half of pet parents have canceled plans with their friends to stay home.
Speaker 4: With their pets. I'm not laughing, I feel really yeah.
Speaker 1: At the survey was of two thousand people, forty eight percent say they bailed with plans with friends and family, and they've done it more than once. They've done it an average of like five times over their life. I've done that with people before. I don't know that I've canceled plans to hang out with my pets.
Speaker 4: But Anne, why are you there?
Speaker 10: Anne?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's there, I'm here. I'm always here. But why why? Because you know why? You ask specifically, you have a commitment to that animal.
Speaker 14: If you're working five days a week, you're gone all day and then you come home on Friday, and then you decide to go out that night and you're I think it's different with dogs and cats, right, I mean, I think cats are much more independent.
Speaker 4: Dogs are more reliant on you, and I think it's.
Speaker 14: Your job to kind of also make sure that they have a good life, that you're keeping them active and you're spending time with them and not just you know, leaving them.
Speaker 4: At the time. I will say, I.
Speaker 1: Totally agree with that. You have a responsibility to them, which is why I don't have a dog right now. I don't have the time for them, and it wouldn't be fair because I know they need walks and I'm not good at that, and they need all the attention. And even with my cats now, I used to leave I used to have a cat, Cassandra and Cleopatra. Used to leave them for like five or six days at a time because I knew they'd be okay. I'd just leave out extra food and water and they're fine. Now I really get stressed out if I leave my cats for more than like a day at a time. I'm like, oh, they need me, which you know they're cats, they probably don't, but I do feel that, but I haven't like canceled trips because of it.
Speaker 14: Well, a trip is different than like just hey, you want to go to the movies tonight, No, I'm going to stay home. I feel like I need to spend time with my pup. All right, So here's here's some other stuff that the study found out. We have some rather odd behaviors when it comes to our pets. Pet parents like to talk with their four legged friends. They do it about eleven times a day. Guilty and.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 1: We have an average of ten cuddle sessions, and you know, give them scratches or massages at least ten times a day. I think that that's good, and I think it's probably good for us too, because they've studies have shown that like love it on your dogs and your cats is like good mentally for you, chills you out, makes you happy.
Speaker 4: I think I read agree with you. No, for sure. Okay.
Speaker 1: It also found that we call them nicknames ten times a day and sing to them five times a day. My dog has like eighteen names, and they all just kind of evolve, like.
Speaker 4: What ann give us a couple?
Speaker 15: No, No, I mean, it's just it's just one of those things. You call them a bazillion different things. Funky, too, bear, okay, stinky do you.
Speaker 13: One?
Speaker 4: I'm having Amy. You've got Shelby and you've got Alex.
Speaker 10: What do you call them?
Speaker 4: Well, Shelby's my little bully. She's she's a bully.
Speaker 10: Cute name, okay.
Speaker 1: And then I'm actually I'm cat sitting for my friend Luisa. So I have another cat in the house right now, and he's lovely, but he uses the cat box a lot, so I call him sir poops a lot. It's really not when I say it out loud, it's not. It's a little embarrassing when it's just around my house with just being the cats, and it's not a big deal.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So here's what a dream day would be for a pet owner. Their special day would start around eight thirty five am. The main event for the day would be either a road trip of course if you have a dog, a shopping spree at their pet's favorite store, or a dinner at a pet friendly restaurant with a pet friendly menu.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 1: Pet parents also hope that their pet will display some of their quirky or silly behaviors because that brings them happiness. So like wigglebut dogs do that and zoomies, which especially cats have. I think dogs do zoomies too, and some said they even like it when their pet takes a little bite out of their nose. So I think we're a little extreme with our pets, but I love them nonetheless, right, true, Pru.
Speaker 4: They're the best.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room.
Speaker 4: I don't think I'm ever going to say, sir poops a lot out loud again.
Speaker 1: The man who allegedly hijacked Metro bus in South la is facing life in prison for the killing of a Dodger's parking lot attendant.
Speaker 8: Anthony Rivera served in the National Guard and relied on Metro to get to Dodgers Stadium. He was allegedly shot and killed by Lamont Campbell before Campbell demanded the operator drive last week. Alie County DA George Gascone says Campbell has a record dating back to the nineties, mostly for drug sales.
Speaker 9: There was some cases where there was some violence that.
Speaker 13: Not lead to a prosecution.
Speaker 8: Cambell was most recently sentenced to three years in county jail. And twenty twenty for drug sales before Gascone took office in downtown La Blake Trolley KFI News A.
Speaker 1: Hearing's being held in LA to figure out where to place a sexually violent serial predator known as the Pillowcase rapist. The planned release of Christopher Hubbert to the Antelope Valley's been opposed by LA County District Attorney, Gascon County Supervisor Catherine Barger, and others. Hubbert was convicted in nineteen seventy three, nineteen eighty two, and nineteen ninety in LA County and in Northern California for a series of at least forty rapes and other sex crimes. California has sued Providence Saint Joseph's Hospital in Northern California for refusing to do an emergency abortion. Anna Nuslock says she went into labor and started hemorrhaging in February at fifteen weeks. Despite the agreement of my doctors that I needed an abortion, I was told I could not receive emergency abortion care will at Providence because of hospital policy.
Speaker 4: She says.
Speaker 1: Saint Joseph's gave her rags to take in the car in case she didn't make it to another hospital. Attorney General Bontics's hospitals need to uphold reproductive healthcare laws. A lawsuit has been filed in LA against a company whose product allegedly exposed as women to a synthetic chemical that can cause cancer. Ecological Alliance filed the lawsuit and says an independent lab test shows Carefree panty liners have PFOA acid in them. An attorney for Ecological Alliance says that's a known toxin and no amount of it is considered safe. The suit says the company that makes the liners does not provide the necessary warnings, which violates California consumer law. City leaders in LA may soon do away with those sticky visitor tags at city hall.
Speaker 16: Security requires the tags to be worn by all for the duration of their visit. City Councilman Paul krecory And says they end up being litter, requiring more work of the cleaning staff.
Speaker 4: They become something that gets stuck to our historic buildings, walls and furniture and everything else.
Speaker 16: Krekory And filed a motion directing the LAPD and the city's General Services Department to look into a reusable, sustainable alternative like something that could be clipped on in downtown La.
Speaker 4: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The fiftieth season of Saturday Night Live is already a record breaker for Peacock. NBC says five point three million watched the premiere live this past weekend. That was the best opening for the show since twenty twenty. Saturday Night Live welcome back alums Maya Rudolph, Dana Carvey, and Andy Samberg for the political cold open.
Speaker 4: I got to go back and watch that. I think it's recorded.
Speaker 1: Hack's actress gen Smart hosted the premiere and Jelly Roll was the musical. Guests Love Him. Water, food, and other supplies are being airlifted into areas of North Carolina that have been cut off by mudslides and washed out roads from Hurricane Helene. Officials are worried that the death toll, which is already up over one hundred and thirty across six states, is going to rise as searchers reach isolated areas. Ashville's city water system has been severely damaged. Excessive heat warnings are going to be in effect from eleven am through tomorrow night in the valleys Inland Empire and Sam Gabriel Mountains. Attempts expected to hit up to one hundred and eight degrees high temperatures, low humidity, and gusty winds have also prompted red flag warnings for fire danger for the western San Gabriel Mountains and the fourteen Freeway corridor. The cow State System is going to start accepting applications for the fall twenty five term today. Students can apply to any of the twenty three universities through the Cowstate Apply Portal at Calstate dot edu. CSU says it is the largest and most diverse public university system in the US and also one of the most affordable university cities university systems in the country. We're just minutes away from a handle. On the news this morning, this could mess with Christmas. Workers at thirty six ports in the US have gone on strike. Right now, Let's say good morning too.
Speaker 4: The host of How to.
Speaker 1: Money on KFI, Joel Larsgard, Morning, Joel, Morning Amy. Okay, so we've got the holidays just around the corner. It's October first, less than three months till Christmas. We've got the Christmas holiday travel season, the Thanksgiving holiday travel season, and when is the best time to book these?
Speaker 4: Because I'm guessing that prices are going up every day.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean that's basically kind of the point we're getting really really close to right where. And so if you are planning to especially hop on a plane for the holidays, whether it's Thanksgiving or Christmas, you want to start looking now to book that travel because if you procrastinate too much, you could be talking about spending a whole lot more. And there was some new data from booking travel booking website Hopper, and they're basically saying, hey, listen the next two weeks or the sweet spot to save money on booking that flight, And if you wait longer than that, prices are going to start probably not even just creeping up, but going up significantly. So I would say sooner the better start looking to booking travel now instead up like a fair alert if you feel like the price is too high and you think it might come down over the next week or so. I love Google Flights as like the one of the best search engines for booking flights, So look on Google flights figure out you know the best dates to travel. That's another important thing to mention is that what dates you travel on, the more flexible you can be the more likely you are to be able to save on that holiday travel too.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, and is Google Flights like orbits or is it just an information page and it tells you like what the different flights cost, and then you go to the directly to the airlines and book them.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you can book actually through Google Flights for some of those. For some of those flights, some you can you can either choose to click and book directly with the airline itself, or you can kind of book it through Google's proprietary system, which I think you're find either way. But the nice thing is and just I guess this was maybe like a little over a month ago, Southwest announced that you can see the air fares now on Google flight system. So for a long time, Southwest was like it's own separate entity. You can go to Google Flights to look at all the other airlines, so then you have to go to Southwest dot com directly in order to find their flights in. Southwest is one of the one of the biggest low cost carriers in the country, and so it was kind of a pain for people who wanted to do proper shopping. But now Southwest has migrated into the Google Flight system, so you're going to see their flights showing up to which is a huge boon to anybody who's shopping for airfare. And Southwest actually has like a a big their fall fail just started today. So if you're booking now for some of this fall travel Southwest, some of the best deals might actually be on Southwest, and you're going to find those flights on Google flights dot Com too.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got to put this on my to do list because I'm trying to get up to Oregon this okay, And then I have a question about the fair alerts.
Speaker 4: I've never used. How do you do a fair alert?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 13: It's great. So that's one of my favorite parts about Google Flights is when you kind of type in the dates and when you're looking to go, they'll say, hey, listen this actually they'll give you a a little yellow, green or red and they'll say, if this is actually a really good time to book, where we don't think that maybe the fair is going to get much better than this, or they'll even alert you and say listen, actually, if you typed in the dates November fourteenth through the twenty first, but if you changed to November fourteenth through the twentieth, you you're liable to save a decent chunk of money. So, like I said, that, flexibility is super super key, super clutch. But I really love kind of the way that Google presents the information to you. It makes it easy for you to then make changes depending on how price sensitive you are and how much you're you're willing to change your travel plans in order to say we get those fair alerts. They'll say, hey, listen, we're still monitoring that flight for you, and right now prices have not come down, or actually, hey, guess what prices just came down today. Now it's a good time to book.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm still writing notes to myself.
Speaker 1: This is going to come in very handy for me and hopefully for you as you're getting your day started today.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So, and then are there any days I mean, obviously Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day or Christmas Eve they're super packed, But are there other days that you just in general kind of want to stay away from or does it just depend on when you book?
Speaker 10: So it's interesting.
Speaker 13: It's interesting you say that you actually highlighted some of the best days to travel, So the actual holidays themselves, right, Okay, yeah, better times, you're going to save more money. So, like I was just looking, just kind of playing around, and yeah, it's amazing. If you travel on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, you're going to save more money than if you travel on the twenty third, right, because on December twenty third, because everybody wants to travel on December twenty third. Everyone wants to get there ahead of Christmas Eve. And so yeah, maybe you're one of those people who's like, you know what, I want to save a bunch of money. I'm going to travel early in the morning on Christmas Eve, or I don't mind traveling like early in the morning on Christmas Day. I'm still going to get there and get to spend most of the time with my family. I realized that that that's not always how it works, and people are willing to spend more mo I need to have more time with their family over the holidays. But just look to some of those day to leave and consider it, because yeah, if you're flying on some of the actual holidays themselves, and you can be flexible on those specific dates, or if you can stay an extra day or two longer, So maybe instead of flying back on Sunday after Thanksgiving. You fly back on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. That's something else that can potentially save you a big chunk of money on that travel too.
Speaker 4: Okay cool?
Speaker 1: And then speaking of travel, this is a long time coming, but now you can get your passport renewed online.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, So it's one of those things where it seems like you should have been able to do this for years now, but you haven't been able to. And they had the State Department ran like a test over the last couple of years where small amounts of people were allowed to renew their passport online. When I found out about it, my passport needed the updates, so I gave it a shot and it was incredibly smooth, and one of my buddies missed the window. He ended up having to go in person, a huge pain in the butt to then renew your passport right in person. And so it's now online. Passport renew was coming back on a permanent basis, which just I'm thrilled because it's going to save a lot of people a lot of time and a lot of passle and annoyance. And even taking that own your own passport photo isn't really that hard anymore thanks to smartphones. I like literally standing at the blank wall in my house and taking a selfie for that passport photo. It's still going to take like roughly six to eight weeks. Actually the State Department. For a while last year there was like this massive demand for passports, and so it's taken a lot longer. But it seems like those wait times have gone back down. But yeah, if you're like, oh, checking your passport out, you want to go on an international trip and your passport is expired or close to expired, look at seeing if you can your passport online. There's certain people who aren't allowed to, like first time applicants or children, they can't do it online yet they have to do it in person the first time. But if you've had a passport and you want to renew and you want to get that thing good to go for another ten years, and you are like me, you don't want to go in person to go do it? Can do it now online?
Speaker 1: Okay, And as always we're running out of time. We have like thirty seconds left. But I was mentioning this that coffee prices are going up. Is there anything we can do about that?
Speaker 13: So I know that the traditional personal finance advice is to avoid coffee shops altogether. I think that's kind of silly in some ways. But the truth is, yeah, coffee prices are going up, and you're going to pay more at your favorite coffee shop for that locket. We've seen it, look at the price board, so that that's a place where inflation really has hit. So I would say, really making your coffee at home a little more often, enjoying that coffee out as more of a rare treat is going to save you money in the coffee in the coffee rell of your budget.
Speaker 4: Okay, so be realistic, but maybe cut back a bit.
Speaker 13: Yeah. I think it makes it more of a treat too. It's kind of a special thing instead of like, oh, I pay three dollars or five dollars or six dollars for my coffee every single day every week.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Joel lars Guard the host of how to Money right here on KFI from on Sundays from noon to two. You can also follow Joel for some great money tips on how to manage your money at how to Money.
Speaker 4: Joel. It's that easy. Thank you so much, Joel Largegard. Thanks Amy, all right, we'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno along with traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up Call, you can listen anytime.
Speaker 4: It's on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.