Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifth Day powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Goo, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball here, I'll Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rava and today apparently the word is you made the cut, Tim Bentley. I did.
Speaker 3: I made the cut. I feel like I'm I made Varsity. You've been ready to go.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Don't screw it up because JV is just around the corner.
Speaker 4: Those guys are nipping at my heels.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: Let's let's let's make it a good show today.
Speaker 2: By the way, we're all day to day. So I'm also of JV's next next week, and we have our guy want sir, well, welcome back, thank you, uh good you having good? You have you back on a Friday. What was your pick last week?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I gotta do that. We gotta do our pic. Jay's on the road. Jason headed to the game. We as we all know, the Dodger game. So he's gonna call. He's gonna either text me his pict you'll be Jay, good luck, good Dodgers.
Speaker 3: So he guessn't wanted to call on because the last time we called in they lost that game five.
Speaker 7: So oh okay, yeah, probably six. Yeah, one of those games last week we talked to him. Yeah yeah, okay. So here we are welcome to Friday, Tim Bentley. We're gonna talk a lot about a lot of different things. Right, we'll even talk about some cross country. You're you're kind of bread and butter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: The u A cross country team one don't have an update for us, but they are positioning themselves well for the Big twelve championships. It's a big week in high school championship sports, not just cross country, but swimming, cross country, volleyball, They're all regional championships are this weekend, followed by state next week. So it's a big sports weekend here for high school athletes.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, cool? How popular is it? And I say that because you know what it is. I'm not gonna blow smoke with you. Minor sports are after thoughts, but they're important after thoughts.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm a big believer.
Speaker 3: I high school for a long time and I coached cross country and track, and I'm a big believer in participation at the high school.
Speaker 2: Totally, totally agree.
Speaker 3: Whether it's whether it's studil or whatever it is, you need to wear a uniform of your school and represent represent your school doing something else other than school. Right, And then that way, you know, you're you're getting on a bus, you're sharing pizza, you're you know those memories that we generate as kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let me say this, And you've seen the ads of Navy, Army, whatever it is. Good teammates make good employees, make good teammates, right exactly.
Speaker 3: High school is so pivotal. And I love watching these high school kids. They're they're finding themselves. They're learning what it means to work together as a team, how to push yourself, how to make friends, how to talk to adults and aren't your parents all those things that you learn fourteen, eighteen years old in high school. You know, whether it's on the football field, the cross country course, or you know, drama or chemistry or the you know, the science teams, you know you are building character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question, And you know how to deal with people, whether you like them or not. Because your team, your team, and successful teams obviously are people who work together or not individual standouts, and that at that.
Speaker 3: Level, probably that's the first person that's not your parent that you start to listen to.
Speaker 4: That's that's given you instructions and telling you what to do.
Speaker 3: Kids have coaches younger, but this is like you are becoming a young adult and here's a coach or a teacher, you know, telling you what to do.
Speaker 4: You have to believe them.
Speaker 3: Somebody that cares about you that's outside of your family, that's not your aunt.
Speaker 4: Your parent.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, we talked about this, or you have kids, no kids, no kids, so and you might appreciate this though, because me, I've been in sports all my life. I played them, I write about them. Now we talk about them and my kids. I'm the dude who pays the mortgage, right, you know, I'm just a dude. I'm just a dude. Dad's you a home? Oh crap? Uh? But then they have friends who like sports, or your dad does this, and all of a sudden they're older. Now your dad, your dad gets to do these things. Now I'm a cooler dad, exactly.
Speaker 3: You're on the floor and Juve Wildcat's Hey, dad, what do you what do you know about this?
Speaker 2: Can you give me?
Speaker 4: Can you give me a ticket.
Speaker 2: Before though, Oh you know, he's the guy that pays for soccer.
Speaker 4: I think I get my dad to give me a ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, But you know I'm not the only guy on that boat. It's every dad.
Speaker 3: Well, it's every day and every parent and I you know, when when I would see the parents, you know, they're they're basically shutting their kids and there they would say, I'm I'm just a I'm just a taxi driver, and I'm like, you know, you're giving this kid an experience. You're giving your kid an experience that they won't appreciate. We were all knuckleheads. Do you remember that sixteen to twenty five? I want to apologize to my mom right now that I was such a goofball back then.
Speaker 4: You know, but in that.
Speaker 3: Timeframe one, it's not he's not and he's like, are you he's still in that places?
Speaker 4: Call your mom right now? You know it's it's uh.
Speaker 3: You're you're providing a base for your kid to do something, and a coach, a teacher at that high school level.
Speaker 4: Can really make the difference in that kid's life.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the doctor, Phil Hour. You do.
Speaker 3: See if you want to, you want to go through some things this hour, Brennan.
Speaker 2: If you have a chance, give me a call. I'll solve all your problems. I'm like crazy, I'm like Fraser Crane. I say this all the time. We can solve everybody else's problems, but I can't solve my own.
Speaker 3: I'm right there with you, man, Let's go. But I love this time year for the high school kids. It's exciting. You know, there's there's it's uh. They're getting ready for their their's state championships and then football is a couple of weeks away too, so that's also exciting. And I was listening to your to the show the last couple of weeks our the last couple of days this week.
Speaker 2: Silly, Yeah, we had Jeff Skirt. How'd that go? You like it?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 2: He was great.
Speaker 3: I I went to Sabina High School before coach did, and and he turned that school around.
Speaker 4: And and you.
Speaker 3: Know, there's a lot of life lessons that he teaches, not only kids but coaches and how to be a good mentor to kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got this reputation. And I'm being joke, jokingly saying this and seriously saying this.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: He he was the he was the modern day Moses of local football. He won. Wherever he's gone, he's won, and he's a winner. I mean, if you can criticize him however you want to, but guess what, he's won a lot of games and a lot of championship and.
Speaker 4: I love that he could go in.
Speaker 3: It's small schools, big schools, right, and you know Santa Rita, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got a call about that.
Speaker 4: That was so cool.
Speaker 3: And you know, and I coached at a small high school and there's no reason to be afraid of those big schools, you know up the road and Phoenix, I heard you talking about Marana. There's no reason to be afraid. We you know, play sports just like you. Let's go, Yeah, let's go. Don't be afraid. We'll prove it to you.
Speaker 2: And any any day, some dog has his day, right or give any given day. Yeah, no, he's done well. And then you listen. I thought, yesterday show, did you listen? I did, Yeah, and very insightful. We have have Lamont on tomorrow for the A Team show at noon, so we listened to that for the pregame show. Just very candid, very candid, and he's always been candid with me about this team. You know, his brother's in the house, in the house. The college called coming from inside the house, and he was very critical. He's disappointed like everybody else.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, not only for the for the football and alumni that played for the U A Wildcats. You know, it's it's it's the it's the this this community is so desperate to rally around this team. And I mean, you do one little thing right and we will be your favorite, will be your fans forever.
Speaker 4: But man, it is tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You're a native, right.
Speaker 4: I moved here when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: I mean, so you're pretty much a native. I mean, you you like Jaye and she's been here all his life. It's it's the Lucy Charlie Brown thing or who's the one that kicks? Is it Charnie Brown? Yeah, yeah, you're you're Charlie Brown and she pulls the football.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about this when I was listening, you know yesterdays heard Lamont's mad, you know, and and you know Tom Tonnecliff tried to put a nice spin on it last week, and you know, these these alums are disappointed, right, and so it's you know, We desperately want to back him in it.
Speaker 4: And I was thinking about this.
Speaker 3: You know, lude Olsen came in and changed the culture and you you can't talk about the top ten or twelve programs in the country without Arizona coming up for a lot of people. And we desperately want that for the U A football team. We crave it, right, yeah, no question.
Speaker 2: You want to embrace them, but they they're a they're your jilted lover. I'm sorry to tell you, and it's it's they can then guess what's gonna happen next year or in the next few years. Tim come over. I didn't mean to tell you any bad things the last few years, and then you'll fall in love again and then she's gonna leave you again.
Speaker 4: We're sorry about that. On side kick. We didn't really mean it.
Speaker 2: That was just we weren't thinking. What was I thinking? It won't happen again, and then it happens again, right because you you you guys have been and I don't blame you for being you know that, the callous heart and whatever, because it's it's it's a bitch being in love with a team that doesn't love you back.
Speaker 3: Well and that's why you see you know, I mean we're, like I said, we're desperate for it, you know. That's why that's why tailgates are always packed. We're ready, Yeah, we're ready for it.
Speaker 2: Oh they also want to have fun.
Speaker 4: Well, true, but.
Speaker 3: We're ready for just you know, give us seven and five, give us, give us eight and four something, you know, And it's it's they tease they you know, last year, they tease us a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if one's old enough to remember, we're on the cover of you know, Sports Illustrated, you know, all these things.
Speaker 4: Boom see you next year, buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's usually one is like two years old and he's already gone. His young life has already been torture.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, I mean just think about the twenty fourteen season. It's very very similar right now, between that season and the fifteenth Yeah, the fifteen eighteen.
Speaker 2: I mean we had a lot of injuries that year. They had a lot of injuries that year. Yeah, every every No, if you heard the show yesterday with Lamont, I'm saying Lamont, because I believe that this team is cursed, this program is cursed with football way And did you ever read they find like wildcats. Ye okay, So I read it because I want to do another book like that, and I wanted to come back with the right after that. So he did a great job up until like seventy two Show Me one. I wanted to follow it through. And I believe this program is cursed. What I read from the book, it seems like they are. And no one, maybe Lama yesterday, didn't want to believe that it's cursed.
Speaker 9: It's cursed four times ten wins or more, four.
Speaker 2: Times a year after it's been that. It's been the fourth, twenty fifteen, the twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Well, nineteen ninety seven, eighty nine, Right, yeah, this is.
Speaker 4: The therapy show. Let's just let's let's just bring up all the hurt right now.
Speaker 2: Hey, Kevin Nieman, if you listen to me, give us a call.
Speaker 3: Let's just bring up all there. Let's just get it over with. Let's talk about it and.
Speaker 2: Then we can I don't have pepto bismoll outside.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to pay somebody about it.
Speaker 2: That's twenty five.
Speaker 4: Dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: No, I have good insuran, good, good good.
Speaker 4: I work at a hospital, So get your.
Speaker 2: Guy on the phone right now, right therapist. No, but you know you gotta love them, you gotta love them. Here's the here's the catch, though, you're going to get tomorrow. What do you have? You have hope that this will be the start of a run here to get it to the end, because this place, if they have anything, they have hope.
Speaker 3: Listen, if we went tomorrow, we're wanting, We're we're one game winning.
Speaker 2: Streak as well, we're way to the college football playoffs.
Speaker 3: I think we can make a bowl game. We went tomorrow, I think we're going on. I think we're gonna win out.
Speaker 2: That's what they're gonna talk about because and realistically, we've been talking about this all year one. Right, if they can get past the Kansas State game, the the Utah game and whatever whatever else was the big game, they're gonna be great because the back half of the season is gonna be winnable, very winnable, easily to win. And then you get what you get and then you know you win. Are you ever gonna win a game?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Exactly.
Speaker 3: And you talk about Camp State and that's kind of the thread that runs through it. West Virginia lost to Case State, a couple of weeks ago, I think they lost forty five to eighteen. So last week we played Colorado, they had barely lost a case. See we lost the case. So Case State's kind of this benchmark. We'll see what happens with that with that case State. But I love that West Virginia's coming new uh, new fans, new colors.
Speaker 4: New Yeah, excitement.
Speaker 2: Tim. If two people from West Virginia come to this game, I'll be shocked.
Speaker 4: I'm ready to go mountain theirs.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 9: They're here, here, they're here. I worked a shifted the wreck today. Had a bunch of West Virginia families rolled in.
Speaker 2: Well because they mustn't want to get out of that place. They were excited.
Speaker 9: They were excited. They said, the beautiful weather. I said, where.
Speaker 2: It's only one hundred ninety seven degrees. But yeah, I get it. You're excited. Yeah, yeah, sure. My son went to West Virginia, so I'm aware. Let's go, let's let's let's get it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love that for the fans taking us home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that for the fans. It's you know, it's it's starting. I wasn't that. I know, it was disappointing. From them when the PAC twelve split up. In that there's lots of oh yeah, but I love this, you know, fresh new faces, it's fresh, it's exciting.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, let's let's start with this quick or end with this. In the first segment, we're going to talk a lot about the Arizona Bowl. They had a big function yesterday, I think it was La Paloma talking about their bowl game here in about two months. So we'll talk to Eric Rhodes about that and all the excitement going on. I guess the ticket sales are going well. And then at four fifteen, be enlightened by the candidness and humor of David Adams. I don't even know how else to describe what he says. He's usually my guy on the eighteen on Saturdays, so he'll be back today and we'll see what he thinks. He's really real, real, realistic of what's going on, but he's still trying to be as positive as you can be, knowing that it's very difficult to be positive.
Speaker 4: I agree. We talked about this too.
Speaker 3: Is you know, we're way past college agent, so you're still talking about you know, in eighteen, nineteen, twenty two year old kids, and so we can look at it critically in that way, but we need to understand that still kids.
Speaker 4: I love David's take. Last week we had Tom ton kleft.
Speaker 3: You know these guys is that you know thirty forty years ago, know what it takes, and I like their perspective on the twenty twenty four game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so let's go. Why not go? And they'll get ahold of Eric on the other side.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Money. That's money.
Speaker 1: Enter it right now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 10: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 10: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the soul of Tucson. Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco?
Speaker 4: YUCKI try.
Speaker 2: We talk about Doronto Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel from my drive, so I called Eric at Dorato rock He found out the amount and color I needed, and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds This quest of Wilmot no the home loans.
Speaker 6: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independent that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, Arizon AA b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, got to commitment to Lyndrix, Syncronic greates and available loan program or subject to change the don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in.
Speaker 2: Sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 12: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on e Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 5: Gut bugs, termitesme's or rows, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down.
Speaker 2: Arizona Pest Control is your complete.
Speaker 5: Desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bes or rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation.
Speaker 1: Today streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Bavera, and today with media is Tim Bentley, TMC, the former radio guy. And now we have another guy who's been in the media, Eric Rhodes, TV guy, now the PR guy, VP of Communications, Eric Rhodes.
Speaker 13: I got we just kind of circle around, don't we. Yeah? Yeah, a little TV with a little radio tweet out some stuff.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Eric, row around.
Speaker 2: This is on my two stone survival. It's called survival exactly.
Speaker 8: I mean, I feel the steam. I feel like I thought a posts for you.
Speaker 13: The other night that you are going on, you're like four hundred covering Arizona basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, feel four hundred. But this is your thirty four, your thirty four. I feel like that that old lady on the Titanic is eighty four years.
Speaker 8: But never as old moment. You've seen some of the best stuff and hopefully some good stuff to come this.
Speaker 2: Year, and some of the worst. Eric, let's not forget those. Let's not forget those. Yeah. I was there for the n Buck now right right, Hey, Yeah, you got a big thing going on. How was yesterday's event? Man?
Speaker 8: We just could not be more pleased.
Speaker 13: I mean, our community has always rallying around the Ears on a bowl, which were so grateful for but I mean you bring on Snoop and everything just elevates. I mean I've been around, you know, since day one of this things. This is our tenth game this year, which is a little crazy to say, but the buzz around this year.
Speaker 8: Is just different. It's just new. It's exciting.
Speaker 13: We had about nine hundred people out of La Polomi yesterday. It was really great to hear from Lieutenant General Rich Clark, the executive director of the CFP. I had some really funny things to say. My favorite part was when he compared to his first call telling somebody they didn't make the playoffs to some of the combat.
Speaker 8: He saw silent.
Speaker 13: He said, yeah, there's gonna be some upset people, and I think I'm more nervous to make that call than I want to try to shoot a plane down. So yeah, I mean, great to have Lieutenant General Clark out there. We had a chance to honor Terry Francona, who was going to be with us in person. But speaking of circling around, that guy just can't stop coaching, right, So he's the office Cincinnati to revive. Man, that's a talented team and with Tito up front, that could you know, if you happen to be a person who bats, maybe you look at the Reds a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, right. No, and I'm a Reds guy. I don't bet on baseball, but yeah, no, I think those fans will get a treat because he loves he's a competitor.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean he's there's so much talent on that team, in young talent. I think he's a great fit for that. But yeah, so, I mean it was great to have him involved. He received our take Tomy aerson a strong award. So Rich Tomey and Nancy were on hand to help handle that out, which is always amazing to see Rich like for those of us, like it sounds like the three of us who've been around this town a long time in sports, like you know, we all played summer baseball with the Tonys that at a Reed Park and all of that. So it's really fun. We keep growing bigger and bigger, and we have national scale attention, but it's I think one of the successful Thigs Steve and Tim is that we kept a small town deal and somehow we're going to try to keep that magic in a bottle of a small town game with a big time audience.
Speaker 3: Hey, Eric, this is Tim Bentley. Thanks for joining us. A Rich You're right, rich Tony, all those all those names have been around. I remember when Rich was he managing the sidewinders there for a while, or he was doing marketing and advertising anyway.
Speaker 13: Out he was definitely he was on staff out there, and we all spent a few summer nights out there.
Speaker 3: I do and I and I and so I'm just I'm so thrilled for you. I love your small town atmosphere comment, but you must be just over the moon thrilled to see the love for Snoop in the Olympics and the commercials. I mean, what built in advertising and branding awareness you're going to get.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 13: Use a third party service to sort of quantify what we would be paying to get the attention we're getting for a snoop and it's there's a lot of zeros.
Speaker 8: A lot of zeros the go.
Speaker 13: But I'll tell you it's the most exciting part for us is how excited him and his team are to do this right. You know, they they're very communic kids with us. They want to make sure that we're doing things in the community. You know, we're doing the nil deal with the players. A couple of goals are go do that, but we're certainly one of the forefront leaders of that. And then just bring a game to experience. You know, we're talking about the old sideliners. We've all been around sports long enough to know like a big piece of its entertainment. Right if you're taking the kids in the family, whoever it is, your buddies, you know, especially to a game where you may not necessarily have a horse in the race man, You've got to be entertained. It's very gladiator, right, are you not entertained? And I don't think anybody will lead there. There was on a stadium in twenty eight not entertained.
Speaker 2: You don't have a horse in the race, but you have a dog in the race. So that's funny. Yeah, there you go a bo double G. And I'm sure. I'm sure because there's been a lot of hints. I saw some stories and maybe when came from you or something, the hints, Okay, he might, he might perform. He's gonna be here, you know, why not? Maybe dre Maybe there's a hint, and then I hint. Then I hear that the ticket sales are going so well they could be a sellout.
Speaker 7: Is uh?
Speaker 2: Can I put you ye?
Speaker 8: I mean where you can? I mean we are.
Speaker 13: I will say that it's like we're way ahead of where we've ever been in ticket sales at this point in the year, which is which is awesome. To the point where we are kind of considering opening that upper deck. We're not quite to that point right now. I think if we're able to get that forty thousand, which is the lower ball at Arizona, stadium and call that our cellout if you don't open the upper deck. That's a really great start. So this three year, three year deal, and I'll be really honest, you know, send those STEADI a long time. We we don't know if he's going to perform at halftime, like he's a very busy guy. So there's there's a little bit of back and forth on what that's going to look like. Who there's gonna be. But I will tell you, no matter what it is, you will see a lot of snoops here in Tucson, and it's going to be uh truthless name the snoop dogg Arizona Field. Here's the scoop I'll give you guys. I'll give a little eye on the ball. You will not recognize Arizona Stadium. You will you will see an experience on that field that has never been seen before. And if you didn't know where you were, you would not know you're you're sitting at Arizona Stadium. So it's gonna have a look, it's going to have a feel that that Tucson has not seen before.
Speaker 8: And we're very excited for that.
Speaker 2: Is it all? It's all sure? What is it? It?
Speaker 3: Is it is all it's gonna be all grass?
Speaker 8: We're a bill it with dirt. Yeah.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, speaking of the game, you know that you've got a great entertainment venue around the game. How does the new twelve team playoff affect you know, the teams that are available to roll into your game?
Speaker 4: Is it is it? Is it a Game of Thrones? Is it changed?
Speaker 1: Is it the same?
Speaker 8: Oh? Great reference to him, we're president in the Game of Thrones. Reference. I like that. Who will sit on the iron throw of the years a little?
Speaker 13: You know, I think it's a great question to him because it does affect us, you know, having the number two pack in both of our conferences in American and the Mountain West, especially on that Mountain West that today is a big day.
Speaker 8: Guy.
Speaker 13: Boise State plays U and LB in Vegas tonight and that's a big game in the Mountain West because Boise State.
Speaker 8: You know, for for all pundits and.
Speaker 13: Experts have locked up that that group of five did as the highest rank group of five. And I'll tell you they've earned it to this point. I mean, if you haven't seen gents play, that guy is generational. I mean, he is an outstanding outstanding running back doing stuff that I haven't seen since Reggie Bush, like just highlights every day.
Speaker 8: I mean, very similar, you know.
Speaker 13: To make a comparison here in Tuson, remember when Cole Payton that October you just fell him. Every time he touched the wall, he could break it. That's genty every game all gay. I think he's already like thirteen hundred yards and just cruise it and I'll tell you the best part of it. I've met him a couple of times and I've seen he's a very humble kid, like he just gets his work done. He's very complimentary.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 13: There was Travis Hunter came out after last week and basically said, and I think Travis deserves a lot of validity to this is you know, I don't know how anybody else will touch me in the Heisman.
Speaker 8: Is doing what I do.
Speaker 13: And that's certainly true. But he kind of specifically mentioned Dent about like, you know, a lot of yards are a lot of yards, but it's not against great a grant gives great competition, which you know, I think GenZ might argue that his two hundred yards against Oregon was pretty good competition. So and Gentry's response was like, Hey, Travis Sunster is a phenomenal football players and I'm doing amazing things this year, and he's really fun to watch, and I'm just gonna keep trying to do my thing.
Speaker 8: So uh yeah.
Speaker 2: And he probably could have said, and I'm doing it a minimum wage exactly right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm not doing it with the Colorado wheel of experience. But say they answer your question and a long way it does affect us. Tonight will affect us because if Boise State goes, you know, if they don't, right now, we're looking at a Boise State or you and I'll be coming to Tucson, which is huge.
Speaker 8: That's great.
Speaker 13: They're both phenomenal football teams this year, you know, getting national attention. However, if Boise State goes, then that bumps our whole order. And now UNLD goes to the number one take in the LA Bowl and we're to the third church was still gonna be a great football team, not less as good football. But long answer to a short question, yeah, that's the fee really does affect us all the way down. So we'll be watching tonight with great anticipation.
Speaker 2: Before you go to just who got the short straw on going to Vegas for the night.
Speaker 8: You know I was.
Speaker 13: But after our launch him yesterday, we all we all kind of called it and said, now we're gonna we're gonna take a trip to the Midwest and the Maxim. You know, we do a phenomenal job of getting out to all of our venue as we go every year, Uh to several football games. This one seemed like Vegas. But I'll tell you what the you and I both know, of all the media, we end up in Vegas a lot. So, uh, my couch looked really Yeah, my couch looks a lot better than a quick Southwest flight. And uh, you know, a great football game, but you know, Vegas is Vegas, just Vegas is and you know, my my house and couch looked a lot more comfortable to watch that game tonight.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 8: You know, you don't even have to tell people. Everybody knows.
Speaker 4: Man home on Friday night. It's Monday night, eight o'clock.
Speaker 8: I got to do my hair, the good things.
Speaker 2: You still have hair? You're okay, Yeah, I'm roll over.
Speaker 8: I don't care if you're grades as long as it's still there.
Speaker 2: So you got two months, you got two months left. What's the what are the priorities.
Speaker 13: Really just doing as much as we can to make sure that you know, there's still somehow pockets of.
Speaker 8: Tucson while I kind of tell people what I do and they're.
Speaker 13: Like, oh, I'm not familiar with the Arizona Ball and I'm not sure how that happens. And that's that's kind of my, uh my crusade every day, if you will, is I just want to make my dad does a great job of letting me know every time he meets somebody that doesn't know what.
Speaker 8: The Arizona bull.
Speaker 13: That was a nice little reminder from Pops, like, oh, here's one more. All right, I got to do a better job. But I say a priority is you know, we're doing great on ticket sales. We're certainly gonna have a lot of attention, but like we really need our community to rally around this because you know, as you mentioned off the top, both of you and I'm saying, like, there is no year like this year for Snoop with the Olympics, with the boys, like he is America's mascot, and you know that's going to be just this year. He's certainly going to be one of the most recognizable faces in the world always, but this year the Yron is hot and we really need to take full advantage of that. So really need to rally the community around to make sure we have as many seats bills in that stadium as possible to win him with him and his team. And I'll tell you we're bringing a lot more national sponsors than we ever have when they're here in Tucson. You know, it's a chance to show off our community. It's a chance to show off what's great about Tucson, how they rally around things, even if it's not the University of Arizona.
Speaker 8: Just to make sure that this town is on the map.
Speaker 13: So that's that's probably my priorities to making sure there's no stone left unturned. I know about the Snoop Dogg Arizona Ble presented by Gin and Jeuds by Dry and Snooth Boys.
Speaker 3: Hey, I know you're working on the next two months until the game. But you know, I've been in this business long enough and you have too. Is you've got to keep an eye on the next fifteen months and then you know at the end, So like what sort of work is you are you and your team doing?
Speaker 4: Looking ahead?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: Not yead what are you doing to look ahead?
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, I mean you can't in our business, right Tim. I mean it's such a.
Speaker 13: Such a valid point, like you can't just rest on the next two months, because if you start planning next year or two months for about three months late. So you know, Steve mentioned a few minutes ago that you know, you have with Snoop comes Dre and Marcus Stewart and some of those other people, and so you know, we have we have a three year contract with Snoop and his team, and so we want to make sure we're providing a unique experience every year, like we're One of the things that's a little odd to say, is like we're trying to be a little careful this year to make sure we don't do everything in year one, you know, so people come back next year you're like, oh, I thought I saw it.
Speaker 8: It's not like but you know, with.
Speaker 13: This team and and the people that he brings, I think I might have mentioned this is.
Speaker 8: The most interesting question I.
Speaker 13: Got in my in my ten year history of doing this, with how many private planes this year airports faith, That's a question that probably hasn't been asked a lot in TUSA. So you know that's the sandbox we're playing in.
Speaker 8: And so to your point, Tim, like we are, we're.
Speaker 13: Looking at next year and we're looking at like, Okay, what can we do this year, but what can we also do next year to keep people coming back, to keep it fresh, to keep it one of those bull games you just have to watch, even if you're not interested in the two teams, like you just got to watch, I mean, just just to see what's gonna happen, who's going to be on the field. I mean, I remind everybody last time Snoop was on a field with the microphone and saying at a football game was the super Bowl? That was there's a couple of zeros in the people and how to watch that too. So you know, we're excited, but I want to make sure we're not blowing it.
Speaker 4: I love the way that it shows off Tucson.
Speaker 3: You know, we were talking about how long we've lived here, and it really does show off Tucson and and how proud we are to live here. And so it's it's an amazing job. What what what kind of seats are available? What seats are left here for our local Yes.
Speaker 13: They're going quick, you know, We're a partner with seat Geek, so it's a really easy platform to use. They have seat views from every seat in the stadium. I will say, Tim, it's a great question because with having just the lower bowl for sale right now, there's not a bad seat. You know, you're you're not gonna be up high anywhere. If you are, we're probably in a really nice luxury area. But if you want to be up close to the action and see the snoop, you know from not far away. There's a few of those tickets, but they are going. I mean it's great. I pop on the tepeek every few days just to check and it's cool to see. The one thing I will say is with dynamic pricing, the pricing is going to go up because the as things happen and more people buy tickets.
Speaker 8: You know, it's it's.
Speaker 13: That kind of market in this economy that you know, my son like all the time in this economy. But yeah, I mean, it's still a very affordable ticket. It's great for a family for we have tons of food, beverages or tailgate is free to everyone. Even if you're not going to the game, we're going to try to talk you into going to the game. But there's gonna be some really exciting stuff at the tailgate.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 13: Again, like we have one day to put an imprint on the rest of the nation of Tucson. And you know, the biggest thing we keep telling people is you could have gone anywhere, not just college football, Like he could have gone anywhere.
Speaker 8: But he picked Tucson. So Tuson better stand up and make sure that he knows that was the best decision.
Speaker 2: In fact, that's that's kind of highlight what you do, what I do. You have some pretty cool cycling jerseys out and available to people. I was asking, Yeah, you should put that stuff on a T shirt.
Speaker 8: Yeah, actually we're looking at that stude. You know, you're you're always ahead of the game.
Speaker 13: But you know, one of the great things I love about Tucson and Tim you know this in your world at TC as well, is one of the things I love here is we don't really have competitors, like we have friends who do the same thing and we want all of them to be successful. So you know, we're great partners with the Rogunners and we sponsor each other to make sure that people are going to see the Roadgunners. Uh, you know, we're obviously sponsored with you of A and we're making sure that everything is going well all there. But the tour to Twoson is another one of those national eves on Tucson, you know, I mean it's Steven the team have done an amazing job making it one of the top seedings.
Speaker 8: Correct me on this number.
Speaker 13: I think it's top five races in the country. So, like we we wanted to be a part of it. We've been out. We have several people involved with us that want to ryde and so we created a jersey with Tour to Tuoson this year. I mean, TJ is awesome, he's you know, a friend of everyone. Uh So you can get an Arizona Bowl jersey. It's a really nice looking kit and then Marquez was sporting it on stage yesterday.
Speaker 8: It's a luncheon.
Speaker 13: Go to our website, the Arizona Bowl dot com and you can find it. But we are looking to make some runner shirts because the tour also has that five game, which is is a great opportunity. Like you know, I go every year and it's just it's an amazing opportunity.
Speaker 8: Like it's just so cool. It's one of those things that I don't.
Speaker 13: I don't ride anymore because I'm like you mentioned, I'm old, my knees are shot. But you know, I still love to go out and just be there and support at that starting line. And it's just a cool thing that our community and you know again have the visitors from all over the nation and really the world.
Speaker 3: You're right, exactly. So we talk a lot about to be a part of that. We talk a lot about healthy communities and that that's what you know, You're right, small community, We value each other, we take care of each other, we support each other, you know, because you know, healthy communities are vibrant communities.
Speaker 4: So well done, this is this is exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 13: I mean, thank you, Tim. We're trying to be a part of everyone else. Just on the boat with everyone on the boat.
Speaker 2: We've got to go, we've got to take off sor but me to you, Eric, I can't wait for the media gift. I will surprise us.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's it's on the top of my list. Man, I've been asking.
Speaker 3: And when Snoop's on the phone and you just you want to call in, we're here.
Speaker 4: We're here.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna steal your show name for a minute, and you know, keep your eye on the bowl.
Speaker 2: Yes, you tas you teas. Thanks man, Thanks.
Speaker 13: Yer, all right, thanks guys, I appreciate I have a great afternoon.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's get out of here. We're a little over, so we'll come back and take some calls. Five two zero four one, six, seventy four forty there's one A men's basketball fan. You know, it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is former Wildcat Lemanhnely with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space in your life.
Speaker 14: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 15: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Pema Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial data available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tuson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets all State agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky movement, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Nord Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, oh Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 16: Listen up al TOURD two Son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine, and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and CMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride? Grab your bikes and your buddies. Went DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the l Turty two Son. For more info, check out l Tournay two Son dot org.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera. You're Tim Bentley. You're one. We're almost three quarters of the week to our first hour here. We'll have breaking news about you, right sir, A couple of the hour, and then at four fifteen or four seventeen, we'll have David Adams talking about you a football See what be us he can do us.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to talk to him. I he was he was he is still, I'm sure, but he was a talented high school athletes Sundaysote High School.
Speaker 4: That was an era of just amazing athletes.
Speaker 2: You were young, you're younger, you're young.
Speaker 3: I'm a couple of years younger than him. But I remember watching those guys at uh, you know, track meets, in football games. It was just you know, Vance Johnson was around, David Adam, all those guys. It was just an era of high school sports. And you know, it's not that it was the best era, but it was an era and it happens in Tucson every six or seven years.
Speaker 4: There's just a group of kids that are great athletes.
Speaker 2: So Tim, so when we get him in here, I want you because you know, he's kind of an insecure gentleman. He doesn't really think highly of himself. So why don't you bring him back to his high school days because you know he'll probably perk him up a little.
Speaker 4: I want to ask him who broke his long jump record? Maybe he'll maybe.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's stuff. David didn't do it. I think it was that. And of course, like Pois, because David, there's no more there's no one more confident than David Adams than I've ever met.
Speaker 3: You know, but think about it. You know, some of the best athletes. Jan and I were talking some of the best athletes. You know, they this this confidence that they carry with them. You know, you and I were talking about, you know, the sports and participation in outside activities preparing you for life. You know, some of the confidence that you gain as an athlete, as as a competitor and even as a participant at stuff is it just does wonders in your life.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited to talk to David.
Speaker 3: We can talk a little track if you want to ask him why didn't go out for cross country?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm a speedster. Don't mess with me, man. Uh No, we'll talk to him. I'm looking forward to that. Okay, if anybody wants to call, you have about ten minutes here with us a five to zero four one six, seventy four forty. We'd love to hear from you. I talked about the game and all that for this weekend. Tomorrow afternoon. Are you gonna go. It's gonna be like ninety seven tomorrow. I think in late October you're gonna be there, right, But I'll be in this guy so I won't be too hot.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna be in the stands kind of watching just as a fan to see what I see.
Speaker 3: We asked this last week, what what What's going to make you feel good tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Even a close game?
Speaker 5: Do we do?
Speaker 4: We do we crush them? Do we do we hold on?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you did we make predictions last week?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 2: I want to leave. So I didn't think they'd win? Did I? No? Did you guys think? What'd you guys predict?
Speaker 4: We we wanted a good game. We were we thought there are gonna.
Speaker 3: Lose, okay, but we want to I turned on the game like three minutes in and it was we were down.
Speaker 2: By seven, seven right right right? Damn?
Speaker 4: You know I it's like you know one you're gonna be there.
Speaker 3: You go to the uved I think you know we were talking earlier in the in the in the segment we want to you know, we we desperately wanted something.
Speaker 4: So we want to see some fight.
Speaker 3: We want to see a couple of good plays, some sustained drives, you know, people making making plays. I think if you can show us that and it's a close game and we either we have a chance at the end.
Speaker 2: You know, let me ask you this. You're bringing up the things that they introduced. So they're through six games, seven games already, seven weeks of this. If they haven't done it to this point, what gives you, guys hope that they will in the next two weeks.
Speaker 3: It's because we've lived in Tucson for forty five years and we have hope, We hope.
Speaker 2: We talked about that earlier. How much hope do you have in that reservoir.
Speaker 4: Is getting low?
Speaker 3: But I think, you know, honestly, you know, we talked about it last week. Is you know, let's let's beat as U, lick our wounds and come back next year. But you know, I can live week to week. Let's you know, we got a chance.
Speaker 9: It's I mean, for me, it's it's the demeanor of the players. I don't think they've given up on the season. You okay, let's go to this professor. What what how do you what? How do you see the demeanor? What? What do you see? Because I see I don't see that. I don't I don't see that they've given up. Okay, a little bit less motivated in their walk or their talk or what. Okay, just just by the look of them. Okay, let me just counter that real quick. Okay, and I don't I'm not gonna argue there. But here's my problem.
Speaker 2: They haven't been competitive the last few games, and to me, that's part of the demeanor of wanting to be there because they haven't been competitive. Colorado that was a boring game. Kansas State that was a debacle. The BYU game another one. So to your point, where do you see it? Because I don't. Maybe it's old eyes.
Speaker 9: So just going back to the BYU game, they competed for that first half. Things kind of spiraled out of the control in that second half. You know, it got away from them. Colorado, it was pretty much over after that first kick. You know, they get that first kick, they steal a drive, and now they're motivated and now they there's a potential potentially go move the ball down the field, score touchdowns. But that that that game also got away from the pretty quick.
Speaker 2: You know they they they but they did. If you're motivated long, if you're motivated and good, If you're motivating good and you want to win at least try to win, you don't let it get out of your way, get out of hand. You just don't. Am I talking not.
Speaker 4: Through exactly right? You know, you want to see some fire on the field.
Speaker 3: And we're maybe joke about it a little bit with this false hope, but you want to see some fire, you want you want to believe.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 3: And I know not since the early mid September. I mean, it just feels ah crud as shucks.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: It's you want to see some fire, you want, you want to get fired up to, you want to be you want to believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm with you, Steve. It's it's a little tough to see. I want to meet your day to day and I don't have a.
Speaker 2: Dog, you know, I don't have a dog or horse or whatever in the race because I just know what I know. And it's and I could be totally wrong, which of course half the time I am. But it's when you're getting beat like that, then you wonder what's the problem. What because there's got to be there's got okay one time, mistake, second time, okay, three times. Then you're thinking, you know, your wife tells you three times and bring them up home. All I forgot it. Second time you bring it, don't bring it out and your third time. Now you have an issue. Right, you're no longer married.
Speaker 4: You're having a talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you're having a talk. Right.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering what kind of talks? What are they talking about in the locker room? I mean, new coach? Is it is he? Is he trying to gather as people together? Are the players?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: I don't know if you heard anything on you know, are there? Are the players? Are they what are they doing to motivate each other?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 3: That's that's the question I have as as a as a former coach, like what is happening inside the locker room?
Speaker 2: You may know this last week I thought I saw a tweet somewhere maybe there was a team meeting. I don't know if you saw that or didn't see that, or I didn't say anything like that. Yeah, so usually when that happens, you know, you're kind of at the desparate rope area. And uh, that's a good thing that they know that there are issues and they got to get them fixed. I don't know if it's come to that. I don't know. I thought I may have seen it or read it or something. I just don't know if that's a factor.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 9: I think right now, you know, you don't want to blame a lack of winning on one specific thing, but the injuries are getting.
Speaker 2: To no question, and that's a factor.
Speaker 9: So so going going back to the things get out of hand and things things start to tip towards the other team that that defense was doing okay during Colorado, but then you lose someone like Jacob Manu off of a freak injury, and a lot of a lot of that will and hope just kind of goes away. You kind of wait for someone to step up, but you rely heavily on that person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get so that's gone now, I get it again. And there's a few, Like you said, I think how you're talked about the just sent a tweet earlier today about, uh, there's only like four or two for last year's from last.
Speaker 9: Year as of right now, depends on to Caryo Davis status. He has been unable to finish the last two games. Dalton Johnson is the only starter from last year's defense still playing.
Speaker 2: There must be another player or two on the offensive side, so there aren't aren't very many. And I get that that this team is decimated.
Speaker 4: But you still want to see.
Speaker 3: You know, there's still the second string guy that you still want to see that fire.
Speaker 2: Well, they talk about that, right, the next man up.
Speaker 3: Let's go your your collegiate football players today double A Division one. Yeah, you know, I understand your your you know, you're young guy. But let's step up, you know, let's let's get fired up. And that's what I think you want to see. Even if they're losing, you know, and they're but they're fighting.
Speaker 2: And that's it. They're losing, but they're fighting, and and maybe they're they're fighting and I've just not seen it because thirty seven to eight and all those numbers that they're doesn't really show it. Does that make sense?
Speaker 9: And that's the only thing I wasn't gonna do that last week you saw it go away a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I don't see that they've given up, right, And guess what, no one's gonna admit it.
Speaker 3: No, they never do. Nobody ever admits that I've given up. But they're my eye on the future.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: Now, these kids can move around quite a bit. You know what's next for me?
Speaker 2: So so Tim, you're in the you're in the give business, at least for TMC, not you, but the organization. So you guys give money to organizations you feel worthy. No, that's called the nil. People are giving money to players who think they are worthy. Right, how do you how do you if you're a kid, how do you sell this? If you're a if you're a giver, how are you going to be convinced that we're going to be better?
Speaker 3: You know, you have to talk about return on investment and ROI. Baby, let's go. And you hate to think about it with eighteen, nineteen twenty year old kids, but you know there's there's a return on investment. People want to give to a product that you know provides an ROI, whether that's wins or value to.
Speaker 4: The community, value to them, value to the donor. You need that back.
Speaker 3: And so maybe these kids, you know, with that I what's next?
Speaker 4: There's not a value right now? And I don't know. It's all playing out in real time.
Speaker 2: And guess what, I'm Missouri, and what's the model you got to show me? First? Well, here's your chance exactly?
Speaker 3: These these kids and who it's like I'm saying, it's it's so brand new kids are moving for a bigger contract.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's collegiate NFL.
Speaker 3: Type stuff, right, So kids are leaving for the next contract and get a deal over here.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 3: You can't say that these kids have an eye on what's next. But you know the reality is is season to season, it's it's it's game to gain, you know. I mean we talked about it last week. Coaches are recruiting kids after each game. Hey man, a tough game. I know we lost, but man, you're part of my team. I need you here through the end of the season and I need you next year. You know, I mean the recruiting each each game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, coach put up. Hey man, I'm running a little low on this and il.
Speaker 4: Money right, you know.
Speaker 3: I just saw where you know, somebody just you know, showed me some money in Missouri, you know, And I'm in that same league.
Speaker 4: So who knows what I can? You know, my agent, I vote for sale.
Speaker 2: About for sale, it's a fire sales. Speaking of showing them show me the money. I got something coming up for you. Got to go right too, right where already? That was a quick segment