Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five seventy five and dive. It is Monday, August ninth. I'm your host, Gray Coldstein, joined as usual by Jeffrey pattern Nostro and slightly less usually by Colin Whitchurch. Colin is filling in for Patrick while he is out over the next couple. Well, he's filling in today. We'll see about next week. Colin. How's it going good.
Speaker 2: I didn't ask before we recorded, but I just assumed that Patrick was out because of Deck or something like that.
Speaker 1: I think he might wish it was Deck. No, this this is uh that I shouldn't say that. It's family, it's a vacation. He's yeah, I figured it was actually vacation. That was a joke.
Speaker 2: But yes, No, I'm good. I'm happy to be back. Thank you for having me. H. We'll talk hopefully this uh if if if Jeffrey created another similar game to last time I was on. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself as bad as I did last time, but.
Speaker 1: Your competition will be even less stiff than than usual. I wanted to start off banter with a little bit of a ranter, if you will, I this is this is about it's gonna sound even too cheer when I say it this way, but I'm gonna say it anyway, like online etiquette, like social media etiquette.
Speaker 3: Your fault for posting on blue Sky.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. And this is all self inflicted. Okay, I I will wear that, no problem someone so so. I don't know if you saw this, Jeffrey, but the New Yorker ran an article under the headline did the Dodgers Ruin?
Speaker 3: Basically clearly wasn't copy edited.
Speaker 1: It was a right and so and this that's actually what this is about. This article was terrible. It wasn't fact checked, okay, like it was not a good article.
Speaker 3: Copy Editors and fact checkers are the first person people to get laid off in new media, Craig.
Speaker 1: And and look, trust me, I understand. We get people in our comments who are helpful. Sometimes they're rude. A lot of times they're helpful pointing out when we make a mistake. We make mistakes copy edits, even even though we do read some.
Speaker 3: For some one of the college I did recently, I was like a three year old prospect list player and the player and I'm like, oh, there's a there's a dramatic layer there that nobody caught three.
Speaker 1: Years ago, and that was me almost certainly.
Speaker 3: And it's probably two am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and look we missed up. That's not whatever. So I screencap. So the subhead to this article was all ready the title favorites Los Angeles acquired the league's best picture of the trade deadline and may have insured. That's there the way they wrote it. Not Enshured insured a lockout after the season. So I I commented on what the article was trying to talk about, and I used ensured in my comment correcting it. I also made a spelling notation, you know, like a spelling mistake notation in the alt text.
Speaker 2: I you didn't, but you didn't, but you didn't point out the typo in your I.
Speaker 1: Wasn't going to make a federal case about it. Other people pointed out I. Kiri Ohler from Fangrafts said, like, Craig was nice enough not to do this like explicitly, but I'm gonna comment on it, and like I was, like, I appreciate that, I get it right. That's fine. A lot of people pointed this out, which is also fine. I don't it's not the New York it's the New Yorker, right, It deserves comment. I'm not again, that's not my issue. A lot of people, most of the people commenting on this, in fact, did it in a quote post, which is to bring attention to other people about the New Yorker's mistake, which I think makes a lot of sense. I then got a number of people just replying to me, like one one person replied to me and did asterisk and shore and I was like, so I said, like, buddy, I used the right one, so obviously I clocked it right, Like.
Speaker 3: We are again, they get to the guy that that called no, they tried to edit your username? No what like it's supposed to be a y O you r E?
Speaker 1: No, that was I did a post intentionally like that was? That was the Edwin D.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that social apologize.
Speaker 2: This whole episode is just talking about Craig social media beefs.
Speaker 1: No. But but I just want to say to people, like when when you reply to someone and they've written stuff in a post that isn't purely the screenshot, and you are correcting something in a screenshot that they've already corrected in their post. Yeah, Like I was like, I got that, And then we had a back and forth where he kept explaining to me he was talking about the screenshot, and I was like, right, I know. I finally had to say, like, you think I don't understand what you're saying when I'm saying what you did was not additive, right, And then someone called me a dick about that, Yeah, which is fair. I was being a dick, right, I will own that. But also, when you reply to someone, when you click reply, you are replying to them in their replies on their timeline. You are not talking to other people. Okay, So when you tell me in a reply to me something I've already clearly noticed, I get to reply to you about that. That's all I'm saying. That's that's actually how that social media interaction works. Okay. And to the guy who called me a dick, you're not wrong, but I think I was deservingly being a dick, That's all. Okay, mm hmm, anyone else have banter?
Speaker 3: So I'm still barely in the eighteen to forty nine year old age bracket, so theoretically people are still trying to advertise and market to me and my spending dollars, and I am slightly confused about what liberty mutual is doing with their MLB dot TV ads. Is it the poof thing whatever, I will get to the poof thing aventures personification of we have to, we have to, we have to, we have to roll back a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a long banter everyone.
Speaker 3: Strausly they've done. They dead a series of ads on that bench in front of the statue. It's really a green screen, but on a bench in front of the green.
Speaker 1: Scream it's a green screen, oh.
Speaker 3: Man, And like just various ads and eventually they found the kind of like who does he look like, Josh Josh Hartnett that they kind of looks like, yeah, the kind of Josh guy.
Speaker 1: They found the guy.
Speaker 3: They found the boat with a little poudy.
Speaker 1: Handsome dumb guy.
Speaker 2: And they have multiple because they've got the EMU guy as well, Like they've got two separate campaigns going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you always they're trying to be progressive.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, so he did they if you don't remember this ad that was basically everywhere for the last five years. It was premised on him not being able to deliver his lines because he's a hot dumb guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's honestly, they're basically doing a rip off of Joey Tribuani for.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure I could see that to you. Uh So this year they brought him back, and I'm sure the ad you've seen five hundred times on MLB TV on like the blind date with the woman that also cannot pronounce things, and then you get some yes, and I'm just like, who like what I mean? I guess the idea is to for it to be memorial for you to think about liberty mutual. And obviously I thought about liberty mutual way too much.
Speaker 1: If it's worked, we're proving it right now. This is really I mean, I I think what you're gonna do it. I think you could do this progressive, I think is better at this. But it's they're trying to world build.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, they are trying to They are trying to world build, and now there's a liberty. They think liberty. Liberty is so clever that it deserves its own puppet.
Speaker 1: Basically, yeah, the puppet thing is they've really.
Speaker 3: Liberty liberty Like, no, I don't like, it's not a thing.
Speaker 1: I don't like the blind date. Yeah, because the other the other part of this is, like, as Colin pointed out, she says Canoely. He says, these are mispronunciations of words that are just that are already existing ones. Liberty is both not a word and also nowhere near mutual. It's not like he called it like liberty mutual. Yeah, he didn't mispronounce mutual. He just said it so dumb different ways, said a rhyming thing with liberty that also wasn't a word, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I worked in insurance for over a decade, not in marketing, to be clear, we had like at various times we did whatever, it doesn't matter now. I worked for Travelers, which is generally regarded as rich people insurance, So they didn't do a ton.
Speaker 1: Of like you know, low low brown comedy.
Speaker 3: Mainline advertising. There was a dog, there was a puppy. You might remember the puppy ads for Travelers. Yeah, like the dog trying to protect his bone or whatever. That was like a thing for a few years. They did a serious of them, and I got like, I I worked with the main communications guy for a while because we did a lot of like video shoots and stuff like internally as well, But so I got like some of the inside story that yeah, we're introducing puppies because the dog is starting to get old.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, oh, that's the storyline, has to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the narrative. But yeah, like obviously this happens like Farmers has a chorus. Now that's their big thing. I get a lot of insurance ads.
Speaker 1: Maybe they.
Speaker 3: How old I am?
Speaker 1: Also, Nationwide has moved on from the one guy who was the president on twenty four or whatever.
Speaker 3: I'm working on his name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the president.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he went the president.
Speaker 1: It was there, it was right.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch twenty four, so I was confusing with the guy with all state.
Speaker 1: That's all state. Dennis Haysbert was all state. Oh yeah, yeah, okay, so who am I to?
Speaker 3: Haysbert was all state?
Speaker 1: And they also is now somebody maybe it's all state.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's she's all states. But also, I fucking love dumb commercialsay And we're not even talking about the actual best ones, which is the the mayhem.
Speaker 1: They're no longer the best. They haven't been the best for years. I'm sorry. The best the best currently going is doctor Rick and.
Speaker 2: Absolutely I'm sorry for we are old.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like one idea for an ad and you just run it into the ground because it's better than trying to create progressive.
Speaker 1: I have to give them credit and maybe ads like so the really good what is incredible.
Speaker 2: There was a really good article in some major publication a while ago about this world Jake from State Farm Flow from Progressive and basically like how rich the like how successful, Like they've made careers to the.
Speaker 1: Point where they writes all of them. Yeah, she like became like a writer director and like she.
Speaker 3: Like always right, you got to the executive producer credit.
Speaker 2: She was like in she was like doing comedy shows early in her career with like uh Tina Fey and ship or she was she was like.
Speaker 1: A comedian the woman who was Lily from at and T who stopped doing them. She also wrote her commer.
Speaker 2: She was in Project Hill Mary. She's just this past year she was in one of the biggest blockbusters of the year.
Speaker 1: She has a small role in it. Yeah, I missed that while watching it on the plane.
Speaker 2: Apparently she's the Russian scientist who okay, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: I have a friend from college who got married to like an actress who had like a fairly successful like you wouldn't recognize her, but she had like a fairly successful series and they just like were able to buy a house off the royalties basically, like not not a huge house, but a house in the LA area, right, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I I uh yeah, I don't understand, like why why they went with Judy Greer? And like why, like you, like you paid for Judy Greer, Who's like it can't be that, Like I can't be She just said how much people make off of this stuff? Yeah? And also she's like a known She's like someone you would vaguely I recognize her, probably because of the rest of development more than anything, and like she's known enough, like she is at least.
Speaker 3: Four though, what's that he's not the president from twenty four?
Speaker 1: No, but you paid for somebody? Sure, And like then you know Judy Greer's name? Did you know the name of the actor? President's Dennis? It's you said that I didn't know Pedro Serrano from major leagues. Yes, you're right, You're right. I should I was blanking on it, but I should have known it. But also I do have to say, well, just we have to move on. I'm sure. But the Jake from State Farm rebrand, what what was that? Well?
Speaker 3: No, the original the original guy worked for State Farm. He was just like, I don't think it was actually a call. Might he might have like he was actually let him flourish. I think there was some issue with like they were worried he might leave the company, Like there's a there's a whole backstory to changed.
Speaker 1: Is that true? I would love probably want the younger, more attract guy out. Well, they certainly, but I hate the new guy. He's so cocky. Well I only started State Farm before. Was like the essence of Jake from State Farm is khaki, not cocky.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, Can we start the show now with that you got you got your you got your punch line in It's.
Speaker 1: Like it's like.
Speaker 3: Comana where we just do like fifteen minutes and then there's a punchline that's not very good at the end of it, and we can start the show now.
Speaker 2: This is honestly the worst banter for me to be on because I could talk about bad commercials forever.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna stop right our first segment, Boston Uncommon, the Red Sox finally lost to in a row.
Speaker 3: Three of their last five losses have been to the A's.
Speaker 1: That is insane. Yeah, that part is that part is more insane than the fact that they won twenty seven of thirty yeap which they had prior to that. I don't know what else we want to say here. It's an incredible run. It is, and like this they they are very close to the best run differential in the AL trailing only yes, only, yes, the Tigers.
Speaker 3: It's been a weird year in the American leagues, but like the National League has, like pretty much the NATUALLYE was weird for a while, but it's a long season. It's settled in right like if the Braves, Phillies, Cubs, Brewers, Dodgers are all pretty much chalk here, there's no surprise that the Diamondbacks and Padres are hanging around right like that. Obviously, the Mets being bad is probably the ID say. Somebody posted I think it was Brady posted the Pakoda fiecing the Pokoda projections in the Yeah, and like they weren't, They're not bad, like they're they're they Their Koda was pretty good outside of like the White Sox and the Mets and the Rays, Pakoda has been pretty good.
Speaker 2: The the Red Sox a's parallels are really funny. Someone posted a graphic from the broadcast yesterday, and I went and looked at the start of each of these runs on July first. On July first, the A's were five games under five hundred and the Red Sox were eleven games under five hundred. And now the Red Sox are eleven games over five hundred and the A's are twenty four games under.
Speaker 3: They put six games in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the fact that, yeah, that was in the middle of that just makes it all the more bizarre. And I think I saw it was. I don't think you guys have talked about this. I'm not sure when the report came, but there's talk about Crochet potentially getting giving them some bullpen help down the stretch.
Speaker 3: He is on a mound, I'm reliably informed, So that's a that's a possibility, and like, look, you don't everything has to go right for you to go twenty seven and three. But like the heaters that stayed on RAPHAELA and will You R Radio have been on really since like the All Star break. Basically it was like a week after this started, have been like they the two of the two of the top five most home runs in baseball since the All Star Break or something like that.
Speaker 1: Do you have Do you have their numbers? I did not have it, you know, I can, I can.
Speaker 3: Don't just their numbers.
Speaker 1: Now they swept.
Speaker 2: They swept the White Sox last week, so I got I watched a couple of their games really closely, and that was like the worst I've seen the results I've seen the White Sox get in a couple of months. They were outscored thirty to thirteen in three games. The Red Sox outscored them. And yeah, it was like it was it was just you just had those feelings, you know when your team's going through a bad spell where it's just like every time a bray you and Rafaela came to the play, it's like they're gonna do some damage here.
Speaker 1: It didn't matter who was on the mound. So rafayelis since the break is two ninety seven, three eleven, five sixty four.
Speaker 3: That's why this isn't saying line. Yeah, and Abradio hasn't like a brain hasn't been great, but he's also hitting for power. You know, Wilson Cantres keeps playing really well. Caleb Durbin has certainly caught fire. And do you do you have Andrew Monasterio's numbers since so Andrew Monasterio July first, three thirty seven, four h nine, five sixty eight, one hundred and eleven plate appearances too, So he's playing pretty regularly, which he probably should with a nine line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean since since the since the break, Yeah, it is three fifty eight, four thirty five, thirty seven fifty eight. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, the pitching has been pretty good all year, right, I don't think it's been like especially good recently. But they're also scoring like seven runs a game, so who cares? And like again you go twenty seven and three, They've had a lot of late ending comebacks, right, They've like they've had a lot of like you know, big innings when they've been down, Like this is going to play seven and three and twenty three and seven, right, this is what.
Speaker 1: It needs to notice when you're on a good run.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, but this is this is more than a good run.
Speaker 1: This is no, no, for sure, I'm not trying to discredit it. I'm just trying to say, like I I mean, not to discredit it with like lateening comebacks, like when you're going good and having a crazy run like that's that stuff will happen.
Speaker 3: You can put up big innings when like six of your regulars have a one thousand ops at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you sure can.
Speaker 3: So. Now it's like, okay, they lost a couple to Sacramento. You know we can settle in there. What a game behind the Yankees for the home field advantage in the four or five match and not that game and a half game and a half? Okay, how far behind the Rays? That's like what like five?
Speaker 1: There are seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the race keep winning despite being fraud right now, yea, the fraudulent Rays keep it, keep on keeping on.
Speaker 1: Look, man, I I had I had someone note to me the Rays so like they have as we've talked about three hitters. Yeah right, well four hitters. Now they traded for four hitters because they have LIMX. That's that's correct, But they've generally had three. Uh, John and and Ronda and yandas have been pretty pretty bad for a while. I don't have I don't know Aroanda off the top of my head, but Yandy Diaz has been like one of the worst hitters in baseball for an extended.
Speaker 3: Stretch, which he can do from time to time, which he.
Speaker 1: Can do, and I don't think he's I don't think that's like his true talent level or whatever. I think he's good, right, Like I think the baseline for Yandi Diez is good. But like they're winning games with as you mentioned last time, Victor Masa Junior, Like I don't know, I still look I will I will eat the crow on fraudulent race. But also like there's seventy one and forty six with a plus forty six round differential. I'm not I'm not really wrong. Like it's fine, like they win, they've they've won what they've won. I accept it. But you know it's fine. They're beating Seattle in Colorado on this six game win streak. That's kind of how I feel about And you got.
Speaker 3: To play who's in front of you?
Speaker 1: You do you do? And they're winning and they should they should win those games, right like fair enough? Uh so, Ken, I mean Ken, Ken, Boston catch the Race feels like a tall order set seven games in what seven weeks?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know there are I know there are insane outliers, but like at this point last year, the Guardians hadn't even started to try to you know, they were like thirteen out in late August last year.
Speaker 1: So no, it wasn't late August, was it. Yeah, I think it was. I thought that was July, like I thought that was early August, and then it was like eleven or something. We're we're in late early August right now, in late early August, So I don't I yeah, I mean I think I think. I don't want to rule it out right, Boston Ken catch the race seven games and seven. It's not unprecedented or any.
Speaker 2: The Tigers were up eleven and a half games on August twenty third last year.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, it doesn't tend to happen in back to back years.
Speaker 1: I feel like, no, I'm yeah, I it doesn't tend to happen at all. Outlier. Yeah, I get that. That's an insane outlier. They're up ten on September thirty. Here's here's Pakoda gives the Red Sox one point four to When the sounds about right? Is that Colin? You made a face. I mean, that seems that seems low to me, Like, I don't know, Well, you're only saying that because they've won twenty seven of thirty two. Well, how many how many times do they play each other down the stretches. Another thing, Colin, I do not have this schedule. That would be a good thing to know, but I sure do.
Speaker 2: Look as as as the as the guy who works for a sports betting company, I would have to pull up what the odds are. But if you were giving me like fifty seven to one on the Red Sox to win the Alias, right now, I bet that, Like that's really but that's a different and I know it's implied versus like the sports books and whatnot, but.
Speaker 1: Like what's what's worth? What's worth an outlier? But like people, I mean, you tell me, but like betters will make a bet they expect to lose all the time and whatever, because it's like it's.
Speaker 2: Worth it's worth because my numbers say they have a five percent chance winning, but the odds.
Speaker 3: Right, and if I bet that, if I push that advantage a thousand times, I'm going to make money.
Speaker 1: I know, I know there's yeah, but I I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, like true talent, I feel like they are are right there and seven games just doesn't seem that much in a month and a half, But.
Speaker 1: The math would tell you that seven games is a lot in a month and a half. In yeah, fifty games or whatever. It's hard to make up. Like I get it, it is.
Speaker 2: They're not going to play at a seven to fifty winning percentage for the rest of the season, you know, right, or eight hundred winning percent whatever their run has been. I agree with you, and that's why. Yeah, it's a steep hill. I just for the same reasons you've said about not believing in the Rays crag. I I've I nod my head with you every time you bring it up on the podcast.
Speaker 1: I mean, that would be an argument to say that they could catch them. Yeah, I mean, and again I don't want to rule it out. I think they can. But the other part is like if they're going to catch the other The other part of that, and I think the one point seven or one point four percent in Prakoda giving this out is that if the Red Sox catch the Rays, the Yankees probably also catch the race. That's a big and so winning the division is not just beating the Rays, it's it's also beating the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a that's a really good point, and that's probably one of the reasons.
Speaker 1: And the Yankees, So I guess it would put it this way, if if what yours you're maybe we're originally looking at, is what are the odds the Rays don't win the division? And yeah, Prakoda has the Yank has the raise at eighty five point, so it's it's not a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fifteen percent chance that either the Yankees or Red Sox catch them.
Speaker 1: Basically exactly. Yeah. No, the other two teams are at zero. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: They have three games left with the Rays in Tampa.
Speaker 1: That's it. Yeah, see, that's what I will say.
Speaker 3: Since we are in early mid August, I can.
Speaker 1: Well, I said late early August, right on the border. We're cuspy. We're cuspy.
Speaker 3: It'll be early mid August by the time you hear this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: This is their schedule for the rest of the year. At Blue Jays at Pirates versus Diamondbags versus Giants, at Marlins at Yankees versus Mariners, at Orioles versus Angels versus Royals, at Rangers, at Rays versus Guardians versus Cups. That is pretty easy run in Okay, But I was.
Speaker 1: Thinking about listed a bunch of al teams.
Speaker 2: That's exactly that's exactly it. I was thinking about this because I know We're going to talk about the Tigers in a little bit. But I was looking at the Tigers and they're hot run and I'm like, oh, the Tigers haven't played a team above five hundred in like a month. But that's every team in the American League has that same schedule.
Speaker 3: Basse, they're playing two of the best teams in the AL this week and just the Guardians and the White Sox.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna say, I was gonna say, I don't know how many of the teams, I don't remember everyone you just said, but like, how many of those are like playoff contending teams?
Speaker 3: I mean, like they have some bad NL teams in there too, the Giants and the Pirates.
Speaker 1: You've mentioned the Diamondbacks, who were in a in.
Speaker 3: A playoff spot and are about as good as a White Sox.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, exactly exactly a sid Water. Rodriguez continues to go to the Nick Martinez of the NL.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean we talk about schedules the Red Sox, I mean, and playoff races and whatnot. Did you just listen the Red Sox schedules, said, the Red Sox schedule, Yeah, I mean it's it's easy, but the very end. If it's like tight, it goes raised Guardians Cubs last three series.
Speaker 3: They also have four in there in the Bronx, which in three days in the Bronx, which are going to be probably more important for stuff like wildcard seating.
Speaker 2: Right, I think everyone at this point, And you guys can disagree with me if you want, Like the Red Sox are a playoff team. It's just Al East or not like at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and the and whether they have home field against the Yankees or not. Right, they're the four or five, right, one and a half.
Speaker 1: So the the item I skipped on our rundown was Chad Tracy Manager of the year.
Speaker 3: Look, he's been eighteen games over five hundred since taking over, fifty four and thirty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's all basically this run.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean he was under five hundred before this run because they went twenty four over.
Speaker 1: For yeah, so I mean like, yeah, maybe he could easily went like nobody's got to win. It's an easy narrative to South. I don't know it's him, it's Will Venable or him essentially at this point. Yeah, I mean, look, if the White Sox hold on, my vote would be yeah, will venable if I had a vote. Uh, but like sure, I mean the way this works is it's like who defied expectations?
Speaker 2: Yes, and the white sexs defied expectation the most, but the red sex may have defied expectations when we expectations.
Speaker 1: But also do we think this is like Chad Tracy is doing or like like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, he's a guys, right, like Anthony A. Siegler.
Speaker 1: And Yeah, to be clear, when I say I don't know, I don't even mean to say it in a in a dismissing way. It's just I truly don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean that is that is the question of any managerial of the Year race, right like Stephen Vogue and Pat Murphy the last couple of years. It's like, yeah, they defy expectations, but is are they defying expectations because they're lifting their team ups or because odds makers and you know people are.
Speaker 1: Is wrong about Milwaukee every Yes, exactly for what it's worth. Honestly, you can tell well, Pat Murphy's and obviously, but you could tell me like that equivalent not Cleveland this year, but like, yeah, Pat Murphy could win it every year as far as I think he does. He does seem to do a great job. So whatever, it's for what it's worth.
Speaker 2: And I swear I won't bring stuff like this up all the time on this podcast, even though I've done it twice already in the first couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: It's fine whatever.
Speaker 2: Venable has been the al manager of the favorite literally all year, and I just brought it up when this conversation started. Tracy is now ahead of him on the spoort Okay, yeah, plus one twenty five to plus one.
Speaker 3: Narrative awards, right, And the fact that he took over absolutely who's like World Series. There's all the you know, the palace intrigue around it too, and the team was playing like garbage.
Speaker 1: And if the Tigers, I'm sorry to say this comment, like, if the Tigers win the Division, does a J.
Speaker 3: Hinch No, because he was there the whole time, it doesn't count.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The difference is that it's the switch from Korra, right, Yeah, no, I agree, Yeah, I don't know who I mean, like Kevin Cash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you can argue for giving Cash, right, Like the third the Raids are kind of in the Brewers mode where you just like they have not been as consistently good as the Brewers, right, but you just sort of and he's won it multiple times, right, just one twice?
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, i'd have to. I was gonna look, I think, but we will not talk about the al West. Yeah. No, he is one of those mans.
Speaker 2: Kevin Cash won Ale Manager the Year in twenty and twenty one, and he finished third three other times.
Speaker 1: So's you think he's gonna finish third again? Yeah? Probably, But but he's in the discussion. I think he's vallidly in this, in the.
Speaker 3: Discussion because Craig can't figure out why they're winning, so I sure can't.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a I yeah, well whatever, all right, let's go to our second subject on Redondo Beach and everyone is so sad. Do you want to tell me what this is?
Speaker 2: From?
Speaker 3: Patty Smith? Okay, Bornando Beach Horses and I have one of the greatest albums of the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Craig, Craig, we're alike in these regards now because I don't know about music.
Speaker 1: Thank you. The Dodgers are three and seven in their last ten, they have lost seven of eight, so they lost seven in a row seven No One.
Speaker 3: They won on Saturday, they won the edwin dis game that you had a I've already addiction fit about on Blue s guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, well I did. I honestly didn't have a connection. I really did. Whatever they are now, outside of a bye, there not one of the top two teams, Atlanta and Milwaukee. Milwaukee is is at seventy four wins. Atlanta is at seventy one, Dodgers are at seventy. They're one game back of Atlanta in the lost column as well. So yeah, this is uh, they've been very bad. They've gone cold. I saw. I didn't get to dig into the article, but I know, you know, Sarah's has published at The Athletic a piece about how they're really struggling with fastballs, high velocity fastballs, and they're continuing more in the playoffs, more and more fastballs. Yeah. Yeah, I mean, look, they're an old team, right, Like this.
Speaker 3: Is something I they all have strong opinions about insurance commercials.
Speaker 1: They they this feels more to me. I guess, I don't know if that's like a little bit of the tail wagging the dog situation where they're struggling and then like this is they struggled. I might be wrong on this, so feel free to tell me, but I feel like we saw some of the same kind of research of struggling against fastballs last July when they were twenty twenty five July, when they were in a real they had a bad month. They got swept by the Brewers that month. They and then that's obviously Milwaukee was a very good team, but they lost to some bad teams too, And I feel like we saw some of the same stuff, which doesn't mean that it's wrong. It can get worse, right, they're all a year older for the most part. I do struggle with the idea that like Shohotani is at an age where he's struggling with fastballs. He swings very fast right like he's got a knee injury, so maybe that's part of it. Andy Payes is not so old he should be struggling with with velocity. Kyle Tucker is not so old he should be struggling with velocity. Maximunzy is old enough to struggle with velocity, but I think has premium swing speed, so probably not necessarily he's he's struggled with velocity before. He's also fixed it every time. So it's I'm not saying like this isn't real. I'm not trying to close my eyes and pretend I don't see it, but I don't know that it's something that's not temporary. I guess is how how I feel about that without having I say all this without again, without having dug into the full article, which is my own fault. Max Muntsy's bats feed's actually up this year compared to last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think Craig's right, this is kay, Like I assume if you go through any team that's had a cold stretch for ten games, you will find they are worse against fast falls, because yeah, that's just yeah, whether it's predictive of anything going forward, well.
Speaker 1: So the research, and I want to be clear, I don't want to misrepresent the research. The research is about several months. Sure, it's not it's not specifically about this rough like just this rough stretch. It's that the fastball, the number of fastballs they faced, has increased over the last several months. But they also, like they just got shut down by EDWARDO. Rodriguez, doesn't for harder than ninety three.
Speaker 2: And also if if they've been seeing a lot of fastballs over the last several months. Guess what over the most last several months they've been They've been good more often than they've been bad, right while facing the.
Speaker 1: Fastballs, right exactly.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, I just it might be team. It might be teams theorizing less than seeing evidence.
Speaker 1: Look, if you want to tell me Mooki bats and Ti, Oscar Hernandez and even Freddy Freeman are going to struggle with fastball velocity, I can get there and and look, that's that's a number of players in their lineup that are important and and could be reasons the offense is struggling. More generally, I think they have enough talent to overcome that. Right, And again, like Dalton Rushings hurt now, but like he was there, he shouldn't struggle with fastball velocity. So again, like I both understand it, I don't. I don't think it's a skeleton key explanation for their problems if they lose.
Speaker 2: If they lose a seven game series to the Brewers in October, we're not going to say, oh, it's because they are struggling.
Speaker 1: Well, it will be struggling with Jacob Mizerowski's trust me on that they're getting Snell's back tomorrow, right, Snell's back tomorrow. Yeah, so they're getting their late season injury return pitcher last Snow is rehabbing as well. He's not He's not as close as Snell or Snell's coming back. So but yeah, I mean they're gonna get their their pitching back. Look, I think most of this is on the lineup. They haven't hit very well for an extended period. Justin Robleski, I mean, like, can you turn into something more than a pumpkin like he he has given up. He gave up eight home runs in one hundred ish innings heading into the All Star Game. He gave a home run in the All Star Game to Miguel Vargas. Need to mention it's this podcast and also College White Sox fan got absolutely and then has given up nine home runs since the All Star break in back to back games for each and back to back games. Well, he didn't give up four this last start against.
Speaker 2: Snow, but he went before that four against the Cubs, four against the Mariners, and then just won who his last.
Speaker 1: Start, that's right, Yeah, So look I think the bill is coming to on that right.
Speaker 2: So four home runs against the Mariners. Is like eight runs allowed it against other teams?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Eric lower got had a blow up start. He's just like he was pitching way above his head. So they kind of need snell back. They we talked about how they kind of needed Scooble. Yeah, I mean, like, what is it over? Did they need scooball or like could they have gotten Freddy Peralta or any number of these Casey Mize or you know whatever. They could have gotten someone in that vein rather than the best pitcher on the market and been just fine. Sure, so need isn't over. They needed another ar is what I would say. And then our last you know, I don't know what else to say on that. The last bit here in the rundown is uh, Jeffrey.
Speaker 3: Actual, I broke the agenda this morning.
Speaker 1: Well I'm not going to call myself a dufus.
Speaker 3: Oh some dufus keeps arguing with people about edwinas on Blue Sky and we already covered that. But he has been quite bad.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Well, I can remember if it was in banter as part of your social.
Speaker 1: Media is different. We alluded to it and to it.
Speaker 3: Fine, I did see. I am not a fan of the you know the Baseball Reference compare players that you see all over like it's it's very reductive and not actually giving you all the information you need. There was when I saw posted that was comparing Edwin Diaz to Luis Terrenz as a pitcher. That's that's good. That's good. That's good. Slop right there, that is, I mean, that's the right way to use it. Yes, that's the right way to use So to be clear, he's been significantly words.
Speaker 1: What I what I posted about was Edwin Diaz came in and blew a one run game against the Diamondbacks when the Dodgers had lost uh six in a row. At that they they had had six straight losses. In this game, they had a one run lead heading into the ninth, they had escaped a bunch of gams there. There weren't a lot of good options. I'm gonna say that they had to go to Tanner Scott, who they used pretty heavily to get out of the eighth inning. And I honestly thought they might just leave him in. And he hadn't even been that good lately. I thought they might leave him in, and they went with or maybe I'm confusing games. But whatever they bring in Edwin Diaz for the nine Diez is just basically just off the I l he had has no feel for his slider. He's a two pitch pitcher. He throws his slider what the majority of the time, at least the time. Yeah, yeah, he doesn't. He's just thrown cement mixers or or spiking it. Like he does not have the feel for it. So that leaves him with a fastball. I know you said the velocity has been down. He ran it up to like ninety eight ninety nine. This wasn't like bad, but it's one pitch. Yeah, right, So he walks a guy. His command is not good. He walks, the guy gets an out Ryan Walshman. It's a home run, second of the year for Ryan Welshman. Okay, it happens. It's a bad run. The Dodgers are you know, you know, they don't care.
Speaker 3: Fine, whatever, they just start caring probably but maybe yeah, probably the three I know they therefore as the three seed, but they should probably care.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They then the next game, Dodgers take a one nothing lead into the ninth. I mean, Dave comes right back and goes to Edwin Diaz.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all I.
Speaker 1: Posted was like going back to the guy who admittedly doesn't have one of his two pitches, is going.
Speaker 3: Back to the bridge at three am for more Edwin dis is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was olives right like it. I was like, this is I said, it's such a Dave move, which isn't even like it isn't it. It's an implicit criticism, but it's it's not even it's To me, it was it was just.
Speaker 3: Crazy says I've heard you make about Dave Roberts bullpen management in the last decade.
Speaker 1: It's pretty tepid, right, like it is, It's just it, and it really is a Dave move. He loves to get a guy on the horn we have to get and his move is to put him right back into leverage. He loves to do this and and a lot of times I actually agree with it. I do think these like these guys, for their mentality, need to go right back in and and feel that the manager trusts them.
Speaker 3: Now on a six game losing streak, now.
Speaker 1: On a sixth game. It was a five game losing streak, and what you turned it into six with Diaz and and the biggest part of it to me is he doesn't have one of his pitches and he knows it and everyone knows it. So are you setting him up to succeed? Right? Are?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you putting him in a situation where he can get that confidence back, because it's it's one thing if like you have your pitches, you're just on a bad run. That was a lot of Tanner Scott last year, right, Like, in a lot of ways, his velocity was fine, his slider wasn't. It was a lot of location and maybe being too predictable, but they couldn't figure out what it was, and so Dave just kept going back to him and it drove me insane. But I but I understood it to some degree. When you know, Colin, when we talked about it before, you said, like, it's different when a guy doesn't have the pitch. Yeah, And that that to me was the difference here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's it's like I mean, it's not whether it's from coming back from injury or just some sort of mechanical thing. It's it's different when you're going back to a guy just because he ran and he he had a bad outing. You want to you don't want him to lose the confidence whatever versus he struggled for a very specific reason that need to be addressed.
Speaker 1: The ladder. He hasn't addressed it since the game ended last night. Yes, exactly right, Like he didn't. You didn't even give him a day to do a bullpen session or whatever. Actually wouldn't do after he pitched anyway. But like so he throws him right back in the fire, lead off triple second batter. I forget who who it was. It was Permo and Domo and then Corbyn Carroll because he knows bastball is coming right.
Speaker 3: Also, if you're going to bring him back, like maybe in.
Speaker 1: A against Perdomo, Carrol and and Market like.
Speaker 3: The bottom of the order.
Speaker 1: Maybe, man.
Speaker 3: It was I think it was the bottom of there against order to get him in there against tim Tawa, but he might give up a home run to Tim Powaw.
Speaker 1: Tim Tawa is torching the Dodgers. He's hitting five hundred.
Speaker 2: I think against he went it was Perdomo, Carroll, moreno Marte and then he intentionally walked a new bar and then I.
Speaker 1: Mean, right, so Carrol hits a lead off trip. I mean sorry, Perdomo hits a lead off triple Carol hits a triple, so it is now tie. Game runner on third, no out Moreno hits a screamer line drive to Max Muncy. It wasn't a double play, but he gets an out, he gets a pop out, there was a walk, and then he got a strikeout. Okay, So then I get people giving me the well it worked out, it didn't you know? And then and I have to tell you, like I don't think back to back triples? Is it is like working out?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did he get out of it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: He does that?
Speaker 1: Diez he That's the other part is like that's just how Edwin Diaz pitches when he's good. But like he also wasn't good, Like the reason.
Speaker 3: Instead of two triples?
Speaker 1: Right, I shouldn't. I shouldn't say the reason Corbyn Carroll hit a triple. Corbyn Carrol hits a ton of fucking triples. But like, did it help that he knew he was gonna throw a fastball? I have to think so.
Speaker 2: The Gabriel Marino line out to third was hit one hundred and six miles an hour, hadn't expected batting average six ninety. It was the third hardest hit ball of that entire game.
Speaker 1: Did did it work out? Yes? But also though, like, can we can we be honest about whether something works or not?
Speaker 3: We have to dunk on Crag even if it's I mean, look, I'm fine with that frankly, but we should be in all actually consistent when we're dunking on Craig as much as possible.
Speaker 2: He gives you opportunities to dunk on him when yes, yeah, don't talk to me about the race please, like that is a very valid dunk. I have had a bad take on the Rais and I've stood by it all year. Do you like calling it a Dave move?
Speaker 1: Is not even like he just is a Dave move. I'm not wrong on that.
Speaker 3: The man has watched a lot of Dave Roberts, but I've watched a lot of Dave Roberts. We are all richer for it, and yeah.
Speaker 1: I and yeah that guy and then I did I did get into it with a guy who just was like weirdly aggressive to me about it and like I wasn't even.
Speaker 3: Being Edwind is like a tenny ra Like. I know it's a small sample, but he didn't look great before the injury either. Do you think he makes a playoff roster.
Speaker 1: Edwin d asked, Yeah, I mean, yeah, sure, I.
Speaker 3: Mean they're capable of just like not carrying him if they don't think he can.
Speaker 1: I you know, it sounds like they're losing Will Klein for the season. He's got bone chips in his elbow, so yeah, I don't know. I mean, the bullpen had been running really well and then is extremely not like everyone outside of Jack Dryer is bad right now. So you know, as I also, by the way, spent an entire offseason saying like, when are they gonna remove Jack Dryer from the forty man? And he's the lynchpin of the bullpen right now, so who knows? A donat Do you want to do one more or take a break? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think go either way, Craig, you just said.
Speaker 1: Let's let's take a break and we can come back with the rest of the show. Welcome back to episode five hundred and seventy of five and dive. We're on segment three. Ooh, baby, baby, it's a wild card. I know that one, Jeff, I just.
Speaker 3: I know, I've said it twenty times. I died picked up on it at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I picked up on it immediately that one Clay Holmes activated for the Cubs. Not a great start, No, and again it doesn't. Of Mets pitching acquisitions for the Cubs, David Peterson has gone better.
Speaker 3: Yes, and like again they don't. The Cubs are kind of where they are. They can just spend the next month getting play homes back up.
Speaker 1: It's not, yeah, I mean they are. They are five and a half back of Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say it's a closed yeah, but it's yeah. I Pakoda always doubting Milwaukee and loving the Cubs. If you are not looking, Jeffrey, what would you guess, Pokoda.
Speaker 3: It's like Jesus waves like teeed it up to me. I will see it.
Speaker 1: But I will also tell you. I will tell you the Yankees are thirteen zero point three percent for the division.
Speaker 3: They're about five and a half back too, aren't they They might be exactly you let me. I'm gonna say thirty six percent.
Speaker 1: The Yankees are also exactly five and a half back. You overshot it a little because I laid it on thick. Yeah, that's right, but you're you're you're in the right direction. Twenty seven point seven percent.
Speaker 3: That's too high.
Speaker 1: It's it is too high. I think it's too high too. It is too high. But I do think of the fifteen ish.
Speaker 3: Fifteen Again again, I'm not look, I'm not the Cup schedule to see how many times they fight the Brewers down the stretch.
Speaker 1: But right, yeah, sure, five and a half.
Speaker 3: It does make it. Five and a half versus seven does make a difference, right with this.
Speaker 1: Yea few games also a better team. Seven is also a better team than the race.
Speaker 3: If they have seven games with the Cubs left, I can see what Pakoda thinks they're a better team. Pakota might think they go five and two in that and that makes it.
Speaker 1: Right and it closes the gap substantially. I don't think you're right, and I don't think that is the situation, and it would change things a lot obviously in those.
Speaker 3: If they do go five and two, then yes, that the percentages are probably closer to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How how do you feel about the Cubs with the pitching overhaul?
Speaker 3: I just I don't know, Like they're fine. They're like the exact amount of fine that will keep them getting too much criticism, But a lot of the process they yet here going back. You know what twenty months now to the Kyle Tucker trade has been kind of ponderous.
Speaker 1: Do you mean since I liked the Tucker trade, I just everything.
Speaker 3: After that, No, I mean just yeah, like they didn't really follow up on it, right, and they didn't sign Talker long term, but whatever. But they they seem to be kind of peaking at like eighty seven to ninety win team that has to go through the wildcard round even if they win the division, right, Like, it does feel a little bit and like is that like we talked about this, you know, with the Orioles and might like the Cubs also did a pretty not as deep a trow as the Orioles. They did a pretty significant rebuild and they seem to have peaked it around an eighty eight win team. Mm hmm, So, like, what are we doing with Jed Hoyer? Exactly? Any reasonable question to ask, Like what maybe the expectations are. This is fine, they're printing money in Brigleyville. The team's good enough to make the playoffs, like this is all fine for everybody involved in the process. That maybe the Cups fans, But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean I'd be interested. Colin. Obviously you're white Sox fan. But you're you're in the area. I live like three miles from Wigleyfield. Yes, So what is the the vibe?
Speaker 2: I think it's hard for me to say what the vibe is because that would require me to go out and be like a social human being. The thing that I wonder about this team with these rotation editions, The thing that I thought from the trade deadline with Gusman and with Clay Holmes is what the trickle down effect could be with their bullpen, which was a real sore spot, and the fact that I think it raises their floor in the sense that they're not going to be required to lean on guys like Colin Ray have, Javier Sad Aaron Savally is how you pronounce that? By the way, guys uh down the stretch and it will. It just eases the load on the rest of the arms, but it doesn't raise their ceiling because Gaussman isn't the ace level picture he was in recent history. They are getting Cabrera back. I think Edward Cabrera is on a rehabit sign right now, but he just adds to that same load of similar type of pictures.
Speaker 1: It's all like three three and a half ish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels very It feels very built for regular season success more than playoff success.
Speaker 1: Right. I do want to point out, as I did in a recent podcast Colin, that you need to take it up with Baseball Reference, who says Aaron Aaron's last name is Civilly? Really? Or yes, that's what Baseball Reference says civil All right, So the point is nobody knows. Now I'm fucked up. Now I'm fucked up.
Speaker 3: He's having his jack Le moment.
Speaker 1: Yes, that legitimately broke my brain. When I just dis like an end that doesn't get addressed, I I agree with you. I do think it's interesting. So like they get I haven't checked on him recently, but like, is Peterson a ground ball guy?
Speaker 3: Jeff, Yes, he is theoretically, so.
Speaker 1: Like they're really leaning into their defense, right, their infield defenses, and they need.
Speaker 2: Guys like that, because if showed him in Monoga is pitching on a warm dayt Wriggley Field, he's going to give up a Justin Robleski amount of home runs And yeah.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Gusman obviously gets a lot of ground balls. H If Peterson is getting around balls, Clay Holmes gets a lot of ground balls, So they're really like it is a specific type of picture, and I agree, like that is all like generally the kind of guy you want regular season, and well I.
Speaker 3: Think there's idea like you make it so a team has to get three base hits against you in the playoffs. But also like David Peterson and Clay Holmes will give up hope runs despite throwing sinkers.
Speaker 1: Its yeah, like yeah, Also, look it happens to Gossman too, right, like that hat he was very good in the playoffs last year. He also you know, I think this final line versus the Dodgers was was like three three earned in six innings, and it was it was gutty. He was really good. But it's also just barely a quality start.
Speaker 3: Question for me is more, look like I think they're gonna be the probably the wild card one. Right, They're going to play the Phillis of the Diamondbacks and the in the first and the like that can go. However it's going to go, it's to play.
Speaker 1: They are they are.
Speaker 2: They are six games clear of a different playoff spot than they are in it in either direction.
Speaker 3: Basically so, but like after the season, literally their entire rotation, including the guys they traded for are free agents and Managa. And it's not just a pitching either. It's you know, it's in halp and Stay a Suzuki. And they're going to make some significant roster overhauls. And I think they're gonna do just enough to get back to eighty eight wins, right, Like that's the it's gonna be hard, a little bit less.
Speaker 2: But the interesting thing, like I think they're you guys have talked a lot about their offense. Their offense has been fine for most of the season. If some guys get if some guys cool off, other guys get hot. Like they've got a lot of I.
Speaker 1: Mean they have a one ten a team ops plus of one ten. It's been good, good, but it started off on fire. Now it's just it's merely good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing that you asked about the vibes earlier in Chicago, I think the real question mark. And I don't know if this gets talked about a lot nationally. He has a huge reputation in he had success in Milwaukee. But Craig Council pulling the right strings with this many pitching options in the playoffs, I think makes a lot of people nervous. I think that there's not a lot of faith in him basically using the right arms in the right spots. Well, he doesn't win when there's not an obvious pecking order, which there isn't either in the rotation or the bullpen right now.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have the like in Milwaukee, he can just like, all right, I'm just going to Aaron Ashby for two innings. Yeah right, if somebody is going five every day, I guess he can do that with Ben Brown.
Speaker 1: But if Ben Brown's Ben Brown has as throwing thing. Yeah, he's throwing.
Speaker 2: He's not on rehab yet, so he's behind Edward Cabrera.
Speaker 1: I guess they wouldn't after the trades. But like Ben Brown is one of your four best starters.
Speaker 3: Starting, he might start one of them. They're gonna start Osmin and Holmes, I assume.
Speaker 1: So I assume there's going to start Osmin Holmes in a Monaga.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boy and I don't think too Yeah, yeah, boys, I feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm sorry, Boyd was Boyd has been very goodly. Boyd might I shouldn't have I forgot to mention.
Speaker 2: Especially splitting up the lefties and right they might go. Gouseman, Boyd wanted to, you know, and.
Speaker 3: Like Peterson has had success in the playoffs, just coming in throwing.
Speaker 1: For no forgetting about Boyd. I do think in that case, you you do put Brown because he was very good as a reliever and he has the ability to gomost. He's a weird Andrew Miller.
Speaker 3: You're gonna go pretty short, I would expect with Gossman, Boyd and Homes.
Speaker 1: And I feel like you're going everyone.
Speaker 3: Depends on how he does.
Speaker 1: I guess he had a nice start. It was against the Royals, but.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was I was watching. I was watching that game, uh, you know, with some friends, and uh he got hit in by line drive in the back of the foot. And right after I was saying that they're not huge sports fans, huge baseball fans, But I was like, Gousan is gonna be good for the Cubs because he can pitch deep into games and he never gets hurt.
Speaker 1: He's very durable. And then a second later the trainer was out on the mound with him. But yes, yeah, no, I do if Ben Brown can be healthy and as you know, right, you know who these guys come back, but they're not always fully one hundred percent. Like but if he if he can be close, that's that's a difference maker for the bullpen. It's also interesting and I'm not doubting their experiences. They watch the Cubs every day and I don't, but like they're getting great seasons out of Jacob Webb, Ryan Rolinson and Trent Thornton, you know what I mean, Like I don't know that he's doing something wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's more. I mean, all of my everything I'm saying is more anecdotal than like evidence based. But it's more just like some questionable stuff about like leaving starters in a bat or too long kind of that kind of thing, or or leaving a reliever in when you obviously had a left.
Speaker 1: Eye, very Mendoza like criticisms. Yes, it's good as you got to before.
Speaker 2: Remember, people who don't follow the Cubs calus, we might be surprised to you because council has a really good national reputation.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know Hubs fans since he's been there have have. Fans of the team are always about the manager more close.
Speaker 3: I thought you did fine last year in the playoffs. They were just kind of limited by.
Speaker 2: They had Yeah, well, Game one against Milwaukee boy Nico Horner committed air that blew the whole game up, and their whole pitching plan went to ship.
Speaker 1: Which also like again like they they very intentionally leaned into how good they're infield defense is. And so then you have Nico Horner, who's a superlative defender, make a mistake, and like, that's that's what happens in the playoffs, right every and you can't you can't plan for that, and you can't blame the manager for that. No, and you can't replace him either, right, Like it's not like, oh, he should have done something. No, you're gonna play Nico Horner.
Speaker 3: They just extended like three fifty this season.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh so. The NL Wild Card has three teams for two spots below the Cubs. The Diamondbacks and Phillies are tied at sixty three and fifty six, occupying the second and third spots. The Padres are one game out. Again, if you want to be kind to the Marlins and Cardinals, they're three and three and a half out.
Speaker 3: I don't like I think the teams are trying to Either of those teams are like good two weeks away from being back in it. I just don't know if they plan on having those good two weeks. Right, the Cardinals have actually played our right since the and they didn't like they traded Dustin May and Jojo Romero and they traded a ton Oh yeah, new Bar. But like they have, like they played half the season without new Bar and we're above five hundred, that's right, so I'd like, I think the Cardinals are just gonna I think at this.
Speaker 1: Point, the Cardinals are gonna keep on keeping on. And if they finished three and a half, three four games out of a playoff spot, that's.
Speaker 3: Just what they're gonna get, like eighty three wins, and I think the NL wild Card will be more than that at this point, right, Maybe not a lot more than.
Speaker 1: That, but yeah, I mean the Padres are a game back. Jackson Merril has woken up, ye Manny Machado is hitting a little bit more lately.
Speaker 3: I saw they fixed quote unquote their rotation at the deadline. We'll see how that.
Speaker 2: They continued their theme of picking up White Sox outcast by claiming Austin Hayes.
Speaker 1: I did uh, I did see. Mike Petriello noted Fernando Tatis adjusted his stance. Uh, he was. He was more closed off for the majority of the season. He's opened literally you can you can match up, like when his hot streak started, and it's when he started opening up his stance the way he used to.
Speaker 3: I think your hitting coach would be like paying attention to like looking at the video at that.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying don't close off and try and improve yourself or whatever. But also like he wasn't a bad hitter before, so I don't know why it was the power it was it was the weird lack of power. No, no, sorry, I meant like before this year, Like all he didn't have a lack of power before this year, So look, why were we messing with it? But yes, you're right, he wasn't hitting.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they're doing right, like they dis slowly start closing their stance and don't really Yeah, but again.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. But again that is to your point, like why is that not someone in the organization should be Look, let's go.
Speaker 3: See what's different because you haven't head a home run for two months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tatis, since the All Star break is three oh seven, four oh two, six oh two, he's been really good. I mean he's really good normally, but.
Speaker 1: Like that J.
Speaker 3: Frowler can't keep getting away with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here we are so so I guess it's not it's not exactly. I don't know if can you while I say this, Colin, can you pull up his numbers since June? Because in March, start of June, what's that since the start of June? Yeah, first of June. In March and April he was ten his stance angle was he was ten degrees open. In May he was fifteen degrees open, and starting in June he went to thirty six degrees open. Great, and he's been over thirty most of the time. In if you go to last year, it was anywhere between twenty six and fifty two.
Speaker 2: Since the start of June, he's a ninety seven, three, sixty three, five or four. Yeah, yeah, eight sixty seven.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the Fernando Tatis junior season basically.
Speaker 2: Yes, since the start of June, he had ten homers during that time. He's not running? Is he running as much? I think I saw his stolen bases were down or something like that. He's twelve of eighteen on stolen basis and it's not he leads the cost stealing.
Speaker 1: He maybe shouldn't run if he's twelve of eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he leads the league in cast stealings this year, which is saying something considering Chandler, something exists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the Pirates have faded. You know, we mentioned extending it out.
Speaker 3: To the Yeah, we have Cardinals fit further out now for the Pirates. Just last year, the.
Speaker 1: Pirates are five and a half fountain. Now, So I I talked to Hibout. I mean, I follow and and track a bunch of Pirates fans. Uh, not necessarily on purpose, but it just kind of happens. H Alex Kershner of Slate and Split Zone duo, he does a college football writing and podcasts. He he is a notable one. And I think he said this was like he listed out his least favorite Pirates teams, like of recent vintage, I guess, and he had this team at number one that like this was I saw, And I saw a conversation between him and Pat Lackey, which if people don't know, if if you were back on the blogs, way back is where have you gone? Andy Vance? Like gush and and Pat pointed out and I agree with him, like if you're not a Pirates fan. Yeh, you would say that's insane.
Speaker 3: With this season too, and I still don't understand it, Like what's that Mets fans are doing that with this season too, and I still don't understand it, Like you've just watched so much bad baseball. I mean I get the idea of like you had actual expectations. I don't know if Pirates fans showed out frankly, but maybe they did. And like the disappointment level, it's like you you care more if you have a bad meal like a Michelin Stard restaurant than a fast casual.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. I think for Alex and I don't want to put words in his mouth, but my interpretation is you had hope right, Like this wasn't even necessarily entering the season with a ton of hope, but like they gave them so much hope early on sure only to have this collapse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean expectations. Expectations play a huge role in it. I mean, it's Craig, last year you talked how much how miserable the Dodgers made you that July I truly was basically all regular seas and you know, so just like extrapolate that down to based on various expectations of various franchises, and it makes sense. I mean, I'm experiencing the absolute flip of it last year. Like last year's White Sox were not miserable to me because they lost a hundred games, and I expected them to lose a hundred games. This year, they can do no wrong for me because they're having their season and you know, six years or whatever. It's so everything with any of these fan bases is expectations based. Maybe Pirates fans had higher expectations this year than they don't think.
Speaker 1: There's also I.
Speaker 3: Think there's also the idea that you've got like you've got the Paul Skins, TI can't clock here right where you Yeah. Yeah, he obviously hasn't been good, but you know, early on in the season he was good, Ashcraft was good, Mchinski was good, Keller was good Ish for like a little bit right. It was like a three and a half ur Ben there as he usually does in the first couple of months, and then like all the pitching's gone wrong and that's like more.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is that Bubba Chandler has kind of started his kind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like if the Pirates were going to be a playoff contender in the new year term, it was good to get the strength of these young arms. The fact that they've all not just schemes, they've all gone backwards a little bit, I think is more possibly more uh depressed.
Speaker 1: Well, and they came out they were hitting, they were really hitting as a team. And you know Nick Gonzalez in the Monitors right.
Speaker 3: Like Brandon Law has now gone back to just being Brandon Law. It is still an improvement over. Yeah, he's the medium and.
Speaker 1: Was improvement over Nick nzal Is the second basement, said of nicksal Is the third basement.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a lot of there's a lot of Jared Triolo last weekend against the Mets too. It's still too much Jared Triollo.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So like as as Merlin Veldez, I think predictably came, Yeah, he's under earth a little bit.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm I'm as a I'm very impartial about the National League for the most part, the Pirates and they're they're an easy team to get behind if you're impartial, because they haven't been there in forever. Got a lot of fun young players, and I really liked. I mean really is relatively speaking, their deadline. I thought that addressing just taking a relievers approach to their deadline made sense. Ye, well, but they had they have such a small, small level of uh, what's the word I'm looking for the fact that they got that as soon as the trade deadline hit. They you know, sure, you lose three straight to the Brewers whatever, no one's going to fail you. And then you lose two or three to the Mats. Everyone's like, okay, well that's an issue. But you had no, no, no wiggle room to have a stretch like that, essentially, And they had a stretch like that at the worst possible time. I don't think it was really I don't think you could foresee it. It's just like it's bad variance kind of to a certain extent. But when your team is built this way, bad variants that the worst time is gonna sink you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also think like even the deadline, which I think they ultimately did just fine with, right, Like Luke Weaver is a great fit for what they needed. I think I had another year, Yeah, he gets another year, like Bacher is under control for multiple seasons and is fine. Like I think he's just fine. This is fine, and Kirby Yates it's fine. Yeah, sure, again an improvement over what they had in the middle innings.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: They've thrown Kirby Yates four times in the six days since they questioned Okay, I am not sure if he was not in the last.
Speaker 1: So the thing is though, that like they also did nothing the whole deadline until the very end when they got all those guys. So like they even in their adequacy at the deadline, they tortured their fans because for a lot of it it looked like they were doing nothing. They're gonna sit on their hand. They were going to sit on their hands and you know, while away the time. And again I'm gonna go back to what Pat said on this swhich is he said, to anyone who is not a Pirate fan, you'd look at this Pirate team and say, you know, they've come a long way in a year. They have significantly fewer parent holes to fill for next year than they did last winter. They can probably take one to two more cracks at this before the pitchers start leaving. And that is I think that is what someone who doesn't follow the team could look at them and say, look, this is a much better season than last year already, and at the same time, they're not far enough away from where they were to like, if you are closely following this team, it feels like a waste and at a.
Speaker 2: Certain point you get tired of the baby steps and you're ready for the leap, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and Pat especially, I think if you look at the White Sox, for example, who were one of the worst teams in baseball for years from multiple years, and then they're now leading the division. I don't know if they're going to hold on that lead, and I don't know that they're really a better team than Pittsburgh, but they are right, they are leading the division, they have a better record, Like it's it's you know. The problem. Pat also said, like the problem with the Pirates is you just never know if any given seventy nine win team will be the best team you're going to see for a decade. Yeah, And that is the urgency behind this frustration. Whereas to your point about expectations, like the White Sox are coming off multiple hundred loss plus lost seasons and like this, even if the White Sox are.
Speaker 3: You don't mean to downplay being a White Sox fan because it sucks, but they're not compared to like a Pirate they were in the playoffs five years ago. Like the Pirates has been like cool, but.
Speaker 1: Like coming from the where they came from, Like if they blow the division or you're going to be happy for the times that you had this year, you're gonna be happy for Murakami and Vargas and they're also the most.
Speaker 3: Making the wild Card is like a game under five hundred right now.
Speaker 1: But I don't like I'm I mean, we talked.
Speaker 2: I had a lot of conversations with White Sox fans for the season about you know, if they won.
Speaker 1: There was there was joke. There was a joke at the.
Speaker 2: White Sox fan fest before the season the White Sox improved by twenty wins last year. They went from forty wins, forty one wins to sixty one wins, right, and Chris get They're like, what's the expectation after that? And he goes, how about we improved by twenty more wins And everyone's like, oh my god, that's insane. Also, that would just make them a five hundred team, you know, but everyone everyone like pie in the sky. They're like that's never gonna happen. If they finished five hundred, I'll be over the moon, and obviously they have blown.
Speaker 1: And they might and they might win the division with it.
Speaker 2: Yes, the thing about the Pirates, I think what I'm what I'm guessing Pat's point here is to a certain extent, and again I don't want to put words in his mouth either, is that. Yes, you you don't know when the seventy nine win team is going to You don't know that if that's going to be the peak of this current window. But at a certain point, especially after eleven twelve straight years of not making the playoffs, you don't want to be treated like the little brother anymore. Like the Pirates finished close to five hundred and everyone was, Oh, that's cute.
Speaker 1: You guys tried. That was nice.
Speaker 2: So you had a nice little season. You want to start behaving like a grown up. You want to start sitting at the adult table, and you get tired of it, like this is the year we're going to get treated with respect, and it's some like bullshit.
Speaker 1: I think what you're saying right now is Alex's point. Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. Yeah, yeah, well so you were saying, like Patt and alex have a slight disagreement, but like alex Is is saying, like, you know, as he said, like I disliked the conjob years, like he felt like they might have been something and then they turned into the Pirates. Yeah, yeah, and that feels for him worse than years where he could just check out, we've.
Speaker 3: Done the frisky thing like for like four years running now because they've had aprils.
Speaker 1: Like but normally it's over in April.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Yes, It's like the old old old Royals, like early two thousand Royals thing where everyone would just count the days until Joe Posnanski wrote his the column and how early in the year it would come in the Kansas City start.
Speaker 3: I don't have a ton of faith in either the Pirates or the White Sox front offices, but I do like the White Sox, like specific hitting breakouts. To me, this year feel more sustainable.
Speaker 1: Like I'm not saying I guess that's such good things about Ryan Fuller.
Speaker 3: It's like I'm not saying Miguel Vargas will keep exactly this up next year, right, but I have more confidence in him doing that than like Nick Gonzalez. Yeah, but at the same thirty two year old Brian Reynolds, right, like.
Speaker 2: The White Socks have the Miguel Vargas is to point to, which help offset the fact that like, Okay, yeah, Tristan Peter's first half was probably an aberration, you know, like and.
Speaker 3: Like like, I don't think Major Oath is quite this good, but I think I'll have seasons like this like this probably and is probably about this good, right, Coulson Montgomery, Look, there's gonna be some risks that you're going to get at Coulson Montgomery hits one eighty season in here.
Speaker 1: It's a lot more youth driven.
Speaker 3: It's a lot more driven by it, like Spencer Horror. It's just like the young and also but like.
Speaker 2: But like Antonacci in particular, that is like a that is not the type of player the White Sox of teams past.
Speaker 3: No, we've made like he is an on base percentage over three twenty, so like yeah, but like a.
Speaker 2: But like a grindy fifth rounder who finds his way in the majors and has immediate success. Like well, the joke we make, we're like, we're like that dude should be playing for the Cardinals, like that's the kind of guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Chris, Chris thinks he was this kind of guy, but wasn't that good? That good? Like, so he tries to get these guys, but you end up getting like the Nikki lopezz instead of the Sam Antonacci's when you do that, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, so I don't know. I mean, I yeah, I'm gonna leave the Pirates on this. I apologize for reading so many of Pat's uh posts, but I do I have to. This is Alex is angry, and I think Pat is just depressed and accepting it.
Speaker 3: So I will leave it with this the two Pirates fans, he said.
Speaker 1: I'm not disagreeing with you that I hate the stupid Pirates team a lot. Every time Nick Gonzalez boots the ball, I feel like I have to go to the eye doctor to get my eye pressure checked. I just think that's more or less an optimal outcome. On that note, we can leave the Pirates just as their wild card picture is leaving them and go over to the AO. My question to you guys is are the Tigers just a favorite for the Wildcard three at this time? I mean, I I there one game back of Texas.
Speaker 3: They have no teams in Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have no teams between That's that's an important caveat.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're only like a half game ahead of the Twins and the Rangers, but they have no are sorry the Twins in the and.
Speaker 1: A game and only a game ahead of my my Baltimore Orioles. Yes, we talked.
Speaker 2: We talked when we were talking about the Red Sox, we talked about you, you know, the schedule, and you don't have a lot of tough opponents, and you can only play the team in front of you, the Tigers.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then the Tigers run differential, the Tiger's run differential, and every team has a stretch like this. The White Sox got the run differential when they beat the Royals twenty two to one a few months ago. The Tigers have played their last three series against the Athletics, Mariners, and Giants. They have won games by scores of eleven to nothing, eleven to nothing, thirteen to one, fourteen to nothing, which, hey, you got to put up those runs, right, and you can only face who's.
Speaker 1: Them from the Athletics kill the Red Sox.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, but also going back further with Detroit. As I was doing, they went, let me find I just headed up. They went six and twenty two in the month of May. Right, there were sixteen games under five hundred in the month of May. They since then, they're playing at a six twenty winning percentage since the start of Gin.
Speaker 1: And it's not just since then, it's before. I think I saw this from Joe Sheian, so I apologize if it's not Himry. Outside of June, they've been the best team in baseball, well outside of May. May. I'm sorry, I apologize that could be.
Speaker 2: I mean, if that they played sixteen games and there are two games under five hundred on the season, then that's very very possible. They still have a good team even without Scooble and without Myz. Some of their hitters are starting to hit. We talked before recording about Tyler Holton, who's not an ACE but is very good or not.
Speaker 3: Troy Melton Melton, we talked about Troy meltont it.
Speaker 1: Yes, we got to.
Speaker 2: We talked about Troy Melton and how he's very good even if he might be an ACE yet, much to the consternation of some people.
Speaker 3: I know, Yeah, I mean, look, they don't have to be even after the school. In my astral like, they don't have to be great, they just have to be better than these other five hundred. They don't have to go on a Red Sox like run to get back in it. Right, if they play five to ten games over five hundred the rest of the way, which is like probably like about a six hundred winning percentage when the division when when the division, but they're certaly gonna be the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the White Sox have played five in the same span since I think the beginning of June. The White Sox have been about a five hundred team and they and their division lead has grown during that time over team like Cleveland and Minnesota. But Detroit has come back to it because Detroit once upon a time was uh much further back.
Speaker 3: At the.
Speaker 1: Start of July, they were.
Speaker 2: Nine games out in this division. I don't know what they were at the wild card, but they just keep hanging around. They have an opportunity to go on a run. This week is huge for them. They play their home their home against Cleveland and then the White Sox.
Speaker 3: Right, they could be in I guess they could. They could technically be in first place by the end, now could they They could.
Speaker 1: Could probably Yeah, they're three and a half back, so all.
Speaker 3: Right, so they could technically be in first place by the end of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, not even technically, I mean they yeah, they could.
Speaker 3: Be in first place by the end of the week. Yes, yeah, I don't like again they you look at this team. Yes, not Havingny schoopl in MI is the big deal. But like the offensive core is like the McGonagall green Dingler cores like and now now they have now Clark, now Max Clark from hitting seventh, but.
Speaker 1: They're partially being powered by a as Merlin is. It was it as Merlin Valdez for the Pirates, who was going yeah, yeah, from Eduardo Valencia.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's part of Valencia in.
Speaker 1: Fifteen games is hitting three ninety four nineteen eight oh five.
Speaker 3: To point out eleven to one strikeout to Walker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm not again, I'm compared to Merlin Valdez for a reason.
Speaker 3: I mean, Mountain has been good, like kider Monte, like kider Mantero hasn't been quite this good, but like he's also been close enough to this good. Unlike the underlying that it might work. They started Drew Anderson a couple of times like they are. I think they are actually a joke. Jackson joke came back pitched five good things, So they are. I think they are going to struggle a little bit to fill out the once every five every five days of the rotation. But look, they are comfortable doing like Henches comfortable doing pitching case us. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, well and they hope River Ryan gets healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can like two years ago, two years ago, Hinch pulled all the right strings with pitching chaos right when they went on that hot second half run. Last year, he pulled all the wrong strings with pitching chaos this year. I don't think anyone has faith that he can pull the right strings because their bullpen is.
Speaker 3: Gonna be a lot of time Madden and Drew Anderson.
Speaker 1: Yes, a lot of the guy really try melting up with Tyler Houlton.
Speaker 3: They are really really missing, and I mean this sincerely, they are really missing a healthy brand Hurder because he is like the key to their pitching chaos because he can just come in and pitch three innings with a lefty right.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what they're going to try to do. I think probably down the stretch with Kider Montero if they but they might need too much just.
Speaker 3: Throw six innings right like they don't. Yeah, because there's another.
Speaker 2: Anderson, the guy they kind of have used as their swing man. I think Time Madden might end up being their swing man. And yeah, I mean I don't think it is is flair do you do back? Or is he like done for the season. I'm not really sure. It's never blander Jack clarerty yeah, l yeah, I literally forgot that.
Speaker 1: He was there.
Speaker 3: I did forget he was here.
Speaker 2: Clark also raises their floor a lot defensive, like whatever they were getting offensively out of like the Matt Verlings and winsiel Press of the world. I'm sure Clark it was not a ton either. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure that Clark also provides a huge defensive upgrade if he's living up to the billing there. I was wondering, Jeffrey, maybe you can speak more on this. They did promote uh Brisanno to triple A. I don't know if that's a guy who's close enough that he would provide.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's missed a lot of time this year, but yeah, it was like a catcher first base dhis he's not going to catch a ton over dangling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would, just especially down the stretch, he would probably if they called him up, you know, just for to get a hot month out of him or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's been hitting the cover off the ball since he's been back, but he has He's had a lot of injuries over the years too, I guess. So they'll play it how it how it lies. Craig, is it time? Can we see Sawyer Gibson long again?
Speaker 1: Is it is it time?
Speaker 3: Is he he's got like a five r this year?
Speaker 1: But then yeah, I think we can see. Yeah, they don't have they don't have a lot of options. I mean, they they could really use a healthy river they could. So the question, I guess, I think the looming question here, and we don't have to go super deep on it, but like, should they have just kept Schoomel? Yes, I said that so, Like, I mean that was my argument at the time. They've always been the better.
Speaker 3: Team, right, and they're still kind of the better team, but less of the better team.
Speaker 1: And if they go on to make the playoffs win the division, does that vindicate Scott Harris or does it?
Speaker 3: Don't think it does because then you're looking at it will but it shouldn't. This would happened, This would have happened anyway. We would have had Terrek Scoogle starting multiple games for us in playoff series.
Speaker 2: The thing, and we don't need to re litigate this too much because you guys talked for seven and a half hours about the trade deadline last week. The thing that I thought from day one when the Tigers went in the tank to start the season is that I'm blaming his name, Ilich the owner. I think he was going to come up with every excuse possible to trade Trek Scouble. I think outside of actively being in a playoff position, they were going to trade him ever since the arbitration mess of last winter, like that relationship at Gonzosur that he's like he wanted an excuse to trade him and he found one even shouldn't have done.
Speaker 1: That was how I felt too. I did reading some of the the breakdowns of their deadline it. Did you know they did bring up McGonagall, Yeah, immediately, so like Medialy, I don't know that they That to me was like a sign that maybe they didn't want to trade him.
Speaker 3: Right, well, they're going to get it. They're going to end be getting a Pepi pick for that.
Speaker 1: They will, right, there are multiples there.
Speaker 3: Will I mean, I will say this like the thing that bothered me, like obviously there were extension conversations that didn't go well even even before the arbitration stup. And yes, you just got borist client. Like there's also this sort of since the kids took over, like the Tigers have to act like this. They don't. They never had to before. They were one of the big market, big spending teams, and they made the playoffs a lot, and they made some world serious.
Speaker 1: Yes they can trade it sticks with you from when the dollars right, like, yes, they so much of that was driven by bye Mike Ilich wanting to win a World Series before he died. Yeah, but they also say it's just inheriting the team, you know, Mike, and I guess the difference is like Chris Ilich also inherited a bunch of other businesses, so he's not like this is the Steinbrenners. But there's a lot of the Steinbrenner behavior happening, as like someone who didn't build, who didn't build and and or buy and then build the team out right, which which your heart isn't in it the way your dad was. Your dad's heart was in it. Yeah, And and so they see it as something to preserve, whereas I think, you know, George.
Speaker 3: And Mike, to generate this amount of revenue and this amount of profit every year, right, they're.
Speaker 1: Trying to conserve and preserve right like they're there. That's where they and a lot of these kids make money, the kids who inherit make their money on the team, and so they they view it differently than like their parents, who you know four because he made his money somewhere else.
Speaker 3: A four hundred million dollars Google contract could go real bad. Oh yeah, But like.
Speaker 1: I mean, the extension was the trade was one thing. The extension was also.
Speaker 2: I think, I think, and this is no, I don't know how much this actually matters, Like I deal with that with this with my team, with the Ryans, with the Rhyan Starfs owning the Bulls in addition to the White Sox, but like Felich is also owned the Red Wings. Detroit is much more of a hockey town than it is a baseball town. Like that might be where your area of focused like that, this just might be what you care more about is the hockey team. You know, I don't know what little Caesar Stock is doing right now, but.
Speaker 1: Norr.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean just going back to this season, like I've thought Detroit was the most talented team in this division all year. I thought, even from the moment they traded Schoobles, like this team still might be good enough to win this division.
Speaker 1: I mean again, Patrick has said this before, and I think he's right. I think they traded him as early as they did because they were two and a half out and I think they could have been half a game out and they're going to be close to I mean like it's all play as.
Speaker 3: We got to do something fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think maybe truth serumed Scott Harris he would not have traded Trek School if it was up to him.
Speaker 1: I think it was. So you think that's from from ownership, I do. I think it was.
Speaker 2: It was they, you know, it was what was the arbitration difference, like eighteen million versus thirty two million or something like that.
Speaker 1: I think he wanted.
Speaker 2: I think they were first of all pissed at schoobl that relationship had gone to shit, and Ilich was counting on uh saving whatever money whatever do.
Speaker 1: That's the thing to go back to that they hurt themselves, not that nine and a half million dollars or whatever remain on his deal was a real hurdle for anyone we saw. Milwaukee would have taken it on whatever. But by being a file and trial team and filing at such an absurdly low number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think you have to remember that. Trying to make a statement here too, right, being a.
Speaker 1: Pending free agent, he got to compare himself to Zach Wheeler, right, Yeah, and Zach Wheeler has no sign youngs and Trek Scooble.
Speaker 2: Has two yeah, story making to the hearing, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And Wheelers making forty two million a year yeah on his extension. Yeah, like you you're never going to win that watch.
Speaker 3: One and he's making high thirties too, I think so who sorry, Verry Cole only has one and he's making high thirties.
Speaker 1: Right, So you like getting to compare yourself to if that's just such an own goal and it has come back to be essentially a second one in my Again, they did great, to be clear, but like if they had settled instead by being a file and trial team and lowballing him. If they had settled in the twenties.
Speaker 3: See, I don't think Boris and School would have settled.
Speaker 1: Maybe not.
Speaker 3: I think they wanted to set the.
Speaker 1: Maybe not, but okay, But then if they had filed the relationships twenty five, I might have won.
Speaker 3: I think the league didn't want him to file at twenty five because that would have been too high number. Interesting, everybody has like weird incentive structures here, right that. Yeah, but I'm just saying it difficult find a number.
Speaker 1: If there were four million left on the deals, you could potentially squeeze out another prospect. I guess.
Speaker 3: I don't that really it's five million is real money.
Speaker 1: About it? But you could demand it, sure, I don't know. I just think that was such a such a mistake that has come back over and over. I don't know. Do we want to go through the other al central team or a bad look.
Speaker 3: We're going to have to talk about the wild cards a lot down the stretch. I'm not happy about it, as I put in the last bullet here, Oh go ahead, yeah yeah. Like so last night, the Sunday Night NBC Slash Peacock game was the San Diego Padres against the Houston Astros Christian Javier against Randy Vasquez. And this is an important baseball game. Are we all lesser for this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's the.
Speaker 2: Seventh baseball you may be entitled the financial compensation.
Speaker 3: The seventh playoff team is becoming a bit of a problem.
Speaker 1: Wait till they expand it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see that's say.
Speaker 1: Wait, yeah, they want more. They got to get up to the NBA NHL.
Speaker 3: I guess it's good for content for the show since we just sad like forty five minutes on it.
Speaker 1: But I don't know what.
Speaker 3: We're all miserable when not happy about it.
Speaker 1: It's just like, don't, like, you know, don't do this to pirates fans. Don't that they're not going to make Yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Does make it.
Speaker 1: Don't do that.
Speaker 3: That's me, like, you see how that's.
Speaker 2: Worse the the the White Sox retired oz Gien's number over the weekend. It was a very big deal, obviously, and uh James Svegan, in his article for Soxs Machine pointed out that if the playoff format today was what it was when oz Gien was manager, he would have made the playoffs I think every season except one, maybe two of his White Sox tenure, like you could just you could.
Speaker 1: It affects.
Speaker 2: I mean, it changes how you view you know, like legacies or like organizational success or whatever.
Speaker 1: Interesting to think about. Yeah, we'll go to our fourth segment around the horn, speaking of legacies and long time front office folks with a team that is fired David Force, Yeah, I mean twenty five years something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Ken Rosenstall makes it wanted to make it really clear with a firing. Someone else wanted to make it very clear that it was a firing and not mutual party in the ways.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess see a report that said it was maybe a mutual partner of ways, and then I saw Ken's.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, there's there was a report that Force didn't want to move to Vegas basically, uh huh, which maybe yeah, fair enough. I guess I wouldn't particularly want to live in Vegas year round either, or at least like basically all summer. Frankly, Uh yeah, I don't know what these are going to do next.
Speaker 1: It'll be.
Speaker 3: I guess they've been disappointing this year. Obviously, they were kind of around the a wildcard race, that is to say, around five hundred for a while. But also none of this I think, particularly having that pitching have to pitch an entire summer in that stadium is eventually going to wear you down. And they've had some injuries in the lineup as well, most notably Nick Kurtz, So it's not really a surprise they faded. I also don't know what.
Speaker 1: They team described the move as mutual.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know if somebody.
Speaker 1: League sources who I'm going to guess who I'm going to guess are either David Forst or friends of David Forst. Yeah, are saying it was a fiery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like God, I's the guess with what they're sort of like, they're theoretically like a season plus away from moving in their new stadium in Vegas. Are they going to start changing how they operate? Are they going to try to ramp up? I mean, are they going to get a different GM that's going to I don't know, Craigs.
Speaker 1: They're doing that to they Again, they made this move explicitly to lock in a small market and to get revenue share out of out of it. Because they get to lock it in. Yeah, they'll do I think they're suddenly going to behave differently.
Speaker 3: And look, it's entirely possible they're selling. They're playing on selling this team once they get settled in there after the first year for profit.
Speaker 1: Maybe the first year they spend a lot, they may do like a fast stile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jeffrey Lauria that one year with the new stadium in Miami exactly.
Speaker 2: I found I found the timing of this move interesting. Four days after the trade deadline, and they were they were the I think like the least active team. They think they traded Colby Thomas and that was there and they.
Speaker 1: Had a lot ye, not that they what at the last second.
Speaker 2: That was not that they had a lot to sell. I just that interesting that they like you see this sometimes with whether it's around the draft, which we saw like last year with the Nationals right right before the draft when they fired Rizzo mm HM and uh our teams firing their manager general manager right before or after the trade deadline. It's like, why why let force run the trade deadline?
Speaker 3: There's no good time to do it in season?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah, Well, because also if you if you fire him unless you have a hire right and if you're you're just letting his lieutenant do it.
Speaker 3: If you're firing him on May fifteenth, why did you let him start the season if you're firing him a month later while it's too close to the draft and the dead.
Speaker 1: Because on May fifteenth, maybe you get Chad Tracy into the job. Yeah. I don't know. No, it's there's no good time. Yeah, certainly, but yeah, uh. We have some White White Sox news. They called up Hagen Smith and m or McDougall.
Speaker 3: You know their first name's not correct.
Speaker 1: I do, well, so Jeff's I had to ask Jeff. I got a call up from from the which we ran on the site, which only referred to them by their last names, and I was like, which Smith is a McDougall. I would have figured, but I was like, what's what Smith? Is this? What am I doing? And it's just out of laziness, I asked Jeff instead of going to look up do.
Speaker 2: A call up for the White Sox bringing back opening day starter Shane Smith.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I didn't think it was Shane, but I was just you know, I was like, I don't, I don't know I had missed.
Speaker 3: Anyway anyway, Hagan Smith, I mean he Hagan Smith got right. We didn't talk about the White Fox did end up taking Like I guess this could have gone on a wild card chat. The White Thox did end up taking two of three, and the Guardians they haven't really bounced back, but we did get uh the first time at a long time. I remember, and unintended pitching change because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that wasn't on the rundown on Friday night. That was almost and it kind of uh. Nick Schaeff and I were talking about this.
Speaker 1: They h it may have been, it may have saved, it may have helped them that night. They didn't end up winning.
Speaker 2: Look great, Noah Schultz was probably a batter or two from having to leave the game anyway.
Speaker 3: Right, well, I think Sandlin was technically starting to get loose.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, Yeah, but he had to hurry because it wasn't like an injury thing where they were getting ultimate unlimited time.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they I was kind of paying attention to the broadcast I was watching, like did they just like forget to bring out the trainer because that happened, Like if you bring out the trainer, it's fine, you can do it X round is it?
Speaker 1: But I got in my car.
Speaker 2: I was I was going somewhere at right when this happened, and Len Casper and Darren Jackson were very confused. While Venable walks out onto the field, I think it's is it when you crossed the foul line?
Speaker 3: When you crossed the foul line? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And right after that he like turned back the dogor because someone yelled at him, like hey yeah, Stephen Vote immediately thought and.
Speaker 3: Then they originally that he had to pitch to the batter, and they did, and then they changed they changed it. They got on the phone in the yard.
Speaker 1: I didn't understand it was the second.
Speaker 3: It was the second the second mound then, But it was weird that the manager went out too, like why wouldn't you send the pitching coach out? And the pitching coach would say, I've already gone out. I can't go out again, right. It was very weird.
Speaker 1: I did just in the in the Diamondback series the Dodgers, Mark Pryor like sat leaning against the like the fence because he wanted to go out, but he was like waiting. He had to like get the attention of the to be like can I go or is it a second? Because I think they went out. Maybe I don't it might have been a trainer situation or whatever, but like he was and he frankly seemed to put out about it, but he was like, can I go please? Or is it?
Speaker 2: But they were worried it was going to be a second Yeah, I remember there being the only other time I can remember this happening. And I don't remember the team or the manager, but it was like they did a mound visit and then the manager walked off the field and then turn around.
Speaker 1: Jim Tree with the Dodgers. With the Dodgers, Jim Tracy did crossed the foul line and then turned around to say something and walks back towards and it was the second They counted it as the second visit.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Hagen Smith also came in that was more of a planned bullpen game.
Speaker 1: I assume what is functionally the difference between Smith.
Speaker 3: I mean somebody posted in the discord that like, oh, the Hagen Smith debut is going on exactly how I expected. My follow up without looking at the game was how many walks? And then I went to the game and it was I think three strikeouts and four walks and two innings. I'm like about right, It's about right.
Speaker 1: Incredible.
Speaker 3: I have spent a lot of time over the last three years, I guess now talking to Nick Schaeffer about the Hagen Smith pick, which has really been therapy sessions for Nick Schaeffer about the Hagen Smith I shouldn't Colin has had that experience as well. Look, he was considered to be the second best pitching prospect in the college arm in that draft, behind Chase Burns. Some people even had it one A and one B. We were not one of them. And like, the complete collapse of the control is not per se foreseeable, but you know, this was a college performer whose stuff wasn't quite as good as the performance either.
Speaker 1: I find it interesting.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys have talked about this or you've written about it or discussed it at all. Jeffrey, how much prospect development has changed, where so many conclusions can be or have been drawn just two years after their draft year like to just two years later, and like everyone from that top ten has debuted, except it was like Charlie Comden or something like that, or everyone.
Speaker 1: From the top eight.
Speaker 2: And like, I'm not any more optimistic about Hagen Smith than you.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can the other cliff of this, especially with her pictures. This can als, this can change and one good offseason where he yeah, fixes and this always get fixed. But I think the specific problem here is, like his slider really doesn't work as anything other than a chase pitch, and college hitters are going to chase that slider, especially when you have ninety five to the major league hitters are like, all right, throw your slider for a strike, buddy, Like I can see Firmer spin, Like like he's still going to get strike out. It's a good slider, but like he doesn't really have this stuff that's going to get swing and miss in the zone the same way Chase Burns does that. That's what kind of what we see. Because command is chase is what I like to say. Yeah, like command is chased. Like if you're the the best pitchers in baseball do not have very high zone percentages. They very high strike percentages, but they do not have very high zone percentages. Clayton Kershaw is a classic example of this, Like, because command is the ability to throw pitches that look like strikes sometimes just to spit your fast but what you want. But it's also to throw pitches that look like strikes.
Speaker 1: Well you have to be able to spot. You spot your fastball where you want so that you can then go. They have to respect it, right, I mean, this is this is the classic problem with we were just talking about it with someone else, but but you know, bias being what it is. I'll go back to Sasaki, right, like he had the forkball. Yeah, and it was a good pitch. It looks like a strike for a long time. But if you fall behind every time, then no one has to respect it. And then so they can just wait. They'll they'll say like okay, I'll take it. And if it ends up being a strike, like fine, because you can't normally throw a strike anyway. Patrick Patrick was talking about God it was at the trade deadline, but like the guy threw no first pitch strikes right, and it became like a real problem.
Speaker 3: And like Smith, like he's had injuries to which can also happen to your pitching prospects, and like I think he's still a fine pitching prospect, but he's like mcdugo might be better at this point. I know he's been injured this year. They say that they're just bringing him up as a reliever at this point.
Speaker 1: Both guys are coming up as relievers, and that makes.
Speaker 3: Sense that they're probably on innings counts as well. McDougall has been injured this year. I like McDougall airing and stuff out in one to two winnings. I think he's he might be more likely to be a starter long term than Smith at this point, but this all has time to lay out, and.
Speaker 2: The Hagen Smith we don't need to spend that much more time on this. But a lot of the Higgen Smith criticism is that three of the next four picks were kagli On Weather, Holt and Connor Griffin.
Speaker 3: Yes, which he hastortifically been has stuck in Nick Schaeffer's crawl over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere, Hunter Green needs elbow surgery.
Speaker 3: Yeah they're not saying what yet, but it's some kind of UCL repair that's not great.
Speaker 1: No, it's not great, and nothing else sucks. Yeah, it's a real real bummer. Matt Chapman is having season ending hernia surgery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he gets, he gets say it's a bit, but I don't, I don't know. He might be happy to get out cares. Yeah, just stay off the scooters. Yeah, or if you have heard yes surgery, imagine be uncomfortable writing a scooter down the San Francisco anyway, I think everything is uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough, four years and one hundred million left on that contract.
Speaker 3: And then the most movable of their deals probably Yeah. I did see Rafael Devers hit one to dead center off Kaider Montero over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Should we check in on where Rafael Devers.
Speaker 3: Around one twenty again? I was, I think it was one sixteen last night, looked and he set a home runs one three.
Speaker 1: There you go every year, yep, until he won't.
Speaker 3: There will tell you there will be there when he won't, and it won't be one hundred it.
Speaker 1: Will be it will be ugly. It will be the Cardinals dfade Nelson Alaskaz This is the five, five and dives special.
Speaker 3: It is, But also like I appreciate giving Nelson Alaska As a chance to catch on with the playoff team. Yeah, I saw it signed to Austin Hayes. I guess it's that's true, Like, it's not impossible and Nelson Alaskas could find a That's also a lot of teams in a playoff, right, it's included the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Frankly, but yeah, when I saw that on the rundown, I said, I thought Patrick wasn't on this show.
Speaker 1: This is that Nelson Alaska's is a Jeff special. Yeah, okay, I couldn't remember. And lastly, Jose Caberiro just keeps doing ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we have an article up about his inability to execute a bunt well on the site.
Speaker 3: There was obviously there was a lot made of him his gamesmanship, like making eye contact with the catcher.
Speaker 1: The pitcher is eating the last second.
Speaker 3: But he actually got a I have seen this happen before. It happens very infrequently. He did get a pitch clock violation called on the next batter.
Speaker 1: Because he took and some have too long to leave them on a walk well.
Speaker 3: Too long to get to first base. Okay, someone clocked it. I saw someone clock it on the internet somewhere twenty six seconds.
Speaker 1: That is that is insane.
Speaker 3: Like David Ortiz can get around the face is on a home run faster than that buddy, Like just get to first place. I have seen this happen before. Usually it's like but usually the guy's on first or like there's something with the getting the glove on, or there's a pinch runner and they're going over notes and he's not ready. It's really the guy like it was actually the previous batter just taking too long to walk to first place.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I just have to say that, as as someone who loves to troll my friends in competition, I have a little bit of respect for Jose Cabierro for trying to trying to pull this bullshito.
Speaker 3: He is like he's not a bad major Like he's a major league quality player. I understand, real like trying to get every advantage he can offensively given his game.
Speaker 1: Who was who was it? This is? This is real energy of the guy who blew in Lebron's ear Lance Stevenson, Lance Stephenson. Yeah, it's very very much like that, that kind of shit where it's like it's like I kind of respect it and the belief in yourself and you are actually like has just said, like he's an above average major league like he's above or he's at least above replacement. There's a lot of utility, and it's also like cut this ship out, like but it's also like he's probably not this guy without all this ship so there's.
Speaker 3: A line, right, there's a line that and he's not like way over the line, but he's a little little bit.
Speaker 1: Which is the whole. But that's his whole thing, right, Like, that's probably how he got to where he is by just like believing.
Speaker 2: If I do all this ship Like I'm this isn't a serious comparison. But I played in a golf scramble with several friends over the weekend, and one of my best friends too, my golf with most often, was in the group behind me. And I know for a fact that when the group in front of him plays particularly slow, he goes on tilt and plays really bad. Guess what I did for eighteen I played as slow as humanly possible. That's where I respect hoseikave here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like Lance Stevenson is probably honestly like the basketball when I first thought of because I'm olds like, uh, was it Bruce Bowen? Right, Yeah, Bruce Brown pulled all he you know, put his foot under someone else's foot like it was all that little TICKI tac ship.
Speaker 2: As a Bulls fan, it just makes me think of John Starts with the Knicks in the nineties. Yeah, sure, going against Jordan, yep, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: That brings us to our game.
Speaker 3: So as a, as alluded to at the beginning of the show, wading another round of I am d MLB, and I.
Speaker 1: Do want to point out we have a game from a from always and we do appreciate that.
Speaker 3: But this is this is how to give his chance of retribution.
Speaker 2: You have to you have to try your best to make me look like an idiot during my rare appearances on This.
Speaker 3: Is the quick reminder. I have nine is totally like before and after. I have nine movie titles that combine a movie and a baseball player, and I will read them out. It goes and just buzz in when you when you figure out what it is. A lesser known Spike Lee film about nineteen seventy seven New York and a very well known ALE Rookie of the Year candidate to listeners of.
Speaker 1: This podcast, nineteen seventies New York and Rookie of the Year candidate.
Speaker 3: I thought this was just gonna be one of the easier ones, or after a get.
Speaker 1: Started, I don't it's a lesser known Spike Lee.
Speaker 2: I said this at the beginning. My mind goes blank when these trivia games. We welcome, Welcome Colin, Welcome to the Yes.
Speaker 1: I mean I have to assume, especially with his probably the Rookie of the utendant has to be McGonagall, right. I'm trying to help you out because I don't know, I know, I know. So something with Kevin is it? Does he have a movie Kevin? Or is it? What?
Speaker 3: What was? What was the full phrasing of this This clue again, Spike Lee film about nineteen seventy seven New York and a well known Ale Rookie of the Year candidates to listeners of this podcast, a.
Speaker 1: Well known Rookie of the Year candidate, My god, my cool. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I am going to call it because we have eight more of these to get through. It is summer of Sam Antonacci.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I could not think of Sam Anzonachi as a Rookie of the Year candidate. I would not have thought of I was thinking White Rocky.
Speaker 1: Too, and I was thinking more of comedy. Yeah, well, that's fair enough. I did not consider. I mean, I'm not saying it's wrong. I just did not SAMAI never entered. Yeah, that's one.
Speaker 3: The listeners love Sam Antonacci, getting emails love Sam Antonacci. Yeah, absolutely all right, William Goldman Penscript Storry, Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman as the two most famous journalists of all time. And I'm Milwaukee Brewers Wall of Honor recipient.
Speaker 1: Okay, huh, I know the movie, and I'm blaming me too. I'm thinking of a wrong title. Jesus Christ Brewers, Brewers Wall of Honor. Why why can't I think of the sucking I know the movie, I can pick I see them, I know the name of the movie.
Speaker 2: I cannot think of the player that this relates to. The only player I can think of that I could throw in here, I would. I don't know if even play.
Speaker 1: You need to take are the listeners?
Speaker 2: This is all right, I'll say it. I'll say I'll give you the assist if you can get it. Craig, the movie is all the President's Men.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh that's what I was thinking. Okay, for some reason I thought that was the wrong title. Okay, that's why.
Speaker 2: The only thing I could think of. And he did play for the Brewers, but not enough to be a Wall of Honor. I was like all of the presidents, Kevin, you just got that name in my head?
Speaker 1: An is it is it is it, Paul Mollitor The President's Men. Now was.
Speaker 3: It your you're you have the right idea. It's Bill Hall, the President's Man.
Speaker 1: Bill Hall. Damn it Bill on the Wall of Honor that part of the game, the honors, and I don't think it was. But I didn't know that about Bill Hall.
Speaker 2: Bill All the President's Men. That's good, POD know, that's That's a great one, Jeff.
Speaker 3: A classic rom com starring Audrey Hepburn, who won Best Actress for the role, and a young Red Sox star who is also gone missing for a summer.
Speaker 1: Oh Roman Anthony Holiday.
Speaker 3: Yes, Roman Anthony Holiday.
Speaker 1: Roman Roman Holiday. Okay, yeah, sure, I wouldn't have gotten the movie. I knew it was Roman Anthony.
Speaker 3: Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis Hit the Road for Mexico and the Yankees New First Basement or the Astros Old Starter or a hard throwing reliever for a bunch of teams. Mm hmm, The Yankees New for Oh Thelman Luis Garcia, Thelman, Luis Garcia, Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure right, all the Louise Scarcia, Yes, shame on me.
Speaker 3: And incredibly violent Sam Peckham Paw film starring Dustin Hoffman and a Blue Jays outfielder most famous for being dealt for international slot money.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know the player. I have no idea of the movie. You could have done a different movie. I could have.
Speaker 3: An incredibly violent Sam Peck and paf film starring Dustin Hoffman and a Blue Jays outfield are most samous for me dell for international slot money.
Speaker 1: Miles straw Dogs.
Speaker 3: Yes, Miles straw Dogs.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was saying, I was in my head. I'm just sitting there going eight Miles straw that's good.
Speaker 3: It was the nineteen sixty one version that won the Academy Award for Best Picture, not the Steven Spielberg won, and a shortstop whose best version was for the Rockies. Oh it never ending story, west Side Trevor Story.
Speaker 1: Yes, west Side Trevor Story, Spielberg, I missed. I liked it whatever. I took a cat.
Speaker 3: You've seen the opening title card for this film at least one hundred times. And a sinker bowler mostly for Cleveland, who you might not know was born in Jamaica.
Speaker 1: Okay, I actually know the player. I don't. I don't know the type the movie. I know the player because I actually know that fact.
Speaker 2: Title title card I've seen one hundred times. The only thing I think of his Star Wars. It's not Star Wars, I don't is it.
Speaker 1: I'm no, not based on the not based on the player who I'm pretty sure I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, m hm, a sinkerballer for the Guardians who was born also for the Red Sox.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes, for the Red Sox as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I know. Uh wait is it Justin Masterson? Yeah, Justin Masterson of the Universe, Masters of the Universe. I'm taking a guess. I don't know. Justin Yeah, he is born in Jamaica.
Speaker 2: It is Justin, Oh, Justin Masters, then command Master and Commander Yes, nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, times.
Speaker 1: No, that's really good, very good, very good.
Speaker 3: Let's watch Sally Hawkins fr Man and then nominate it for a bunch of oscars and let's watch this bravest. Prospects struggled to hit major league pitching, mostly for the Royals.
Speaker 1: Shape of Drew Waters, The Shape of Drew Waters. Nice. Nice. I knew I knew the movie, but I was that I didn't have the title I like, but I knew them. I knew exactly which moan you were talking about.
Speaker 3: Paul Newman plays the coolest convict on the planet and a leverage reliever traded at the deadline.
Speaker 1: Cool hand, Luke Weaver, cool hand, Luke Weaver.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, what a redemption you did.
Speaker 1: You did make it easier and you made it.
Speaker 3: To consider Craig.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's all them, that's all them. Well done. I I love this game. I'm terrible at it, but I really, I really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I was pretty happy with Justin Masterson and Commander.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm proud of myself for well, when you said red and red Sox, that's Justin Masterson popped in my head.
Speaker 1: I had no idea otherwise, I had no idea was born in Jamaica. Yes, well, I worked with his cousin for for a summer, so he so I know about Justin Masterson. Anyway, Congratulations Colin on the redemption. Thank you for joining us today. Thank you to our listeners for tuning in to another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball Perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for the Baseball Perspectives podcast network and we'll be in that feed. And if you want to be in the discord, we got two recent sign ups. Feel free to sign up on Patreon and we'll get you in the discord. If you enjoy what we're doing and want to drip us a five star review, we'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you again. And if you've been waiting for the pod to be over your chin us now I would can be the answering gle be over all the fas