Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the buck Eye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with Tom or Tom.
Speaker 2: How's it going, Tony, Paul? Camp is almost here. We're getting so close you can you can almost smell it. How does it smell? It's football players in the heat. It's not great, but it's still you know it's not It means football season is getting here. So we're gonna we're gonna put the smell to the side and we're just gonna focus on the storylines and what we're watching.
Speaker 1: Well, the first three days of practice, you know, fans have paid to attend, so there will also be some food trucks there, so it kind of smells like wings and maybe some euros and maybe just that just those Tho's things. And also Nike. It always smells like Nike at camp. And so we've previously talked about the offensive players who have the most to gain, so we're gonna talk about the defensive players who have the most to gain. And Tom, I let you go first in the last show. I'm willing to let you go first again. That way I can tell you, like I can give you a gotcha, or I can disagree with you, which is so is my favorite thing. So if you would like to begin, what defensive player right now on your mind do you think has the most to gain in fall camp.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go with Zion Great and I think the reason I'm going to go with him, I think there's a lot of guys you could I mean, frankly, there's a lot of guys you could go with just on the defensive line and say, yeah, sure. I think though Zion Grady is someone who coming out of last season, he's someone I think we were talking about as this is someone who could be a starter next year, and I don't know that he's really locked that role down yet. If he can do that in fall camp, then and you're the defensive end who's starting opposite Kenyada Jackson, that that sort of sets you up for not just a good season, but probably a pretty good career at Ohio State. His stats last year he was solid. I mean as a true freshman, thirteen tackles, a couple tackles for loss, that's a very very solid season. Had a sack, and but you kind of look through and it's like he had a TfL again in the sack against Grambling, the other TfL came against Minnesota, but he played enough later in the season that you know he played in He played in the net in the playoff game against Miami. That tells you that they trust him in a big moment there. So if he can sort of take that next step and earn that starting defensive end spot opposite Kenyata Jackson, or at least really really solidify himself as a major part of that rotation there, I think that would be a big, big thing for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you say very solid season, I want to clarify you're talking true freshman seasons.
Speaker 3: Just some people don't.
Speaker 1: Don't get upset, like, yeah, we're talking about a true freshman season for a defensive end. That is a very solid season where you've got a bit of a contribution. But by the end of the season he was playing the third most snaps behind Cayden Curry and Kenyada Jackson. He had gone past Ba Atkinson a little bit in playing time, and in that Miami game, Kenyada Jackson's sixty three snaps, Cayden Curry's sixty snaps, Zion Grady three snaps, like those are the only three defensive ends in that game, and he had played sixteen against Brutgers compared to twelve for bo Atkinson. He played eighteen against UCLA compared to seventeen for Atkinson, fifteen against Purdue to nine, so he had kind of surpassed. And we did talk in the offseason, well, if he's already passed by Bill Atkinson, if he's leaving, he's even at this point, there's no turning back for Zion Grady. But sounds like Bolatkinson had a very solid offseason. You could put him on this list in terms of the most to gain, and I don't think that would be wrong because this is his last year in college football and he's this is the contract here, and if he can keep from being passed by a younger player, which is the fear of every older player. Basically, the key's got a lot to gain and if he can be productive, then he can turn that into an NFL career. So I think you could throw a Pie Satan lay in here, as well as the Red Hir freshman who could be that guy, or Kway Russol. Basically any of these guys that isn't Kanyada Jackson have the most to gain, and frankly you could throw Kenyanada Jackson has a lot to gain as well in terms of becoming a top five NFL type draft pick with a big year. But it's just any of these guys opposite Kenyana Jackson could be the guy. So I think blanket just throw them all in there and sure, we're all right, we're all correct, Tom can it? But can I tell you about Riley Petty John at linebacker, who he did not get to see in the spring. And we've said before, you know, we're talking to Ryan Day about the difficulty. One of the downsides is they don't know what he can do specifically, so they've got to figure that out in fall camp and they don't want to waste too much time doing that. So I think he's got a lot of a lot to gain here because at this time last year, or like during the season last year, people have viewed him as the next guy, whether that's you know, Will or Mike. He's going to be starting in twenty twenty six, and he's a monster. Look what he did against Grambling. I just want to award people. You can't base the future on somebody based on what they did against an FCS opponent that is that's a dangerous ground. But we also know Riley Petty John is a dangerous linebacker based on recruiting, glimpses, intel.
Speaker 3: All of these things.
Speaker 1: And so I'm just i think, maybe out of anybody else, I'm just fascinated to see where he ends up in a depth chart and usage in the scheme. And if he's versatile enough to play any of the three linebacker spots, that's gonna be good for him. But I just think he has a lot to gain because that will spot is not settled, and what if he settles it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is absolutely someone who I would have on this list as well. But I think a lot of the stuff you said about Rilly Petty John you could also say about TJ. Alfred, who Riley Petty John was playing a little bit more than TJ. Alfred was for most of last season, and Alfred played had one more snap i think in the Rutgers game than Petty John did, but they were kind of within sight of each other in terms of And these are again two guys who were true freshman last season, so you typically from the true freshman season to your second season, you're gonna see these guys take a little bit of a leap, and these were guys who were playing enough they were getting rotational snaps over older players in a lot of cases. So those are guys who you see that as a true fresh when you kind of go okay, these are people who need to be in that next man up conversation.
Speaker 3: And TJ.
Speaker 2: Alfred was healthy for the spring, so he probably picked up some ground on Rilly Petty John, you would assume with Petty John being out in the spring. So now I think you could say a lot of the stuff you said about Riley Petgeohn say it about TJ. Alfred as well. I was going to mention Christian Allegro because I think Christian Allegro is someone who they brought in expecting him to be a starter. I think based on what we saw in the spring, I'm expecting him to be a starter. It's just a matter of you've got some really talented players behind you, and this is not going to be a position you win by default. So how much of you, know, how much of a role can you carve out for yourself? Are you someone who's they're going to feel comfortable having on the on the field all three downs? Are you someone that they're going to have to pull off situationally depending on what the opponent is doing. Just the opportunity to show that and just show yes, I can be a three down linebacker for Ohio State this fall, and also not only that, I am a better three down linebacker than only other really talented guys who are in this room. I'm expecting big things from Christian alecro this year. I think he's going to have a really really good season for the Buckeyes. But you've got to, you know, you've got to kind of give people the stiff arm to keep them at a little bit of a distance and make sure you were you were staying in that in that you know, sort of at the top of the top of the depth chart there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if he is that will and can also play some of the sam on the on the line, then that leaves that third linebacker spot for either Alfred or Petty John or Stover or you know, somebody else. But like even if it's even if that's Riley, Petty John or TG Alfred, a second your players, that's generally where that third linebacker spot has come from the last coup play years, whether it was Arvel Reice in twenty twenty four, Peyton Pierce last year as a sophomore being that third guy, and it the trajectory is just fine. It worked out for Arvel Reice, it has worked out for I was gonna say Cody Simon, but Cody Simon also started before he was that third linebacker because him and Tommy Iicknberg kind of switched back and forth. But that third linebacker, whoever it is, that just leads to the next year being something even more substantial. So whoever wins that, like, you don't have to win the starting job, you don't have to win that will spot to be set up for a solid, very solid, very productive career at Ohio State. The third linebacker will set you up for that just as well. And you can have all kinds of impact as that third linebacker as well. You're just not going to be playing as much. Tom Can I give you somebody in the secondary, And I'm not gonna go with the obvious guy. I'm going to say Leroy Roker because here's what, here's why everybody's already just it's it's Terry Moore, it's Earl Little, it's Jalen McLain. What about Lee Roy Roker. And this is a guy that was with the Ones for the first half of spring before either he gave way to Terry Moore or they wanted to see Terry Moore with the Ones after some some rust got shaken off. But this is Leroy Roker. This is his opportunity to say, no, I'm I'm I can play, and let's find a place for me to play. He played last year kind of as a dime when other guys were hurt. And you know, he's maybe like the seventh dB, but would be the sixth when somebody went out. He's They really like him, and he's athletic, he's got good size, he's got good range. This is his opportunity to say, you're gonna have to find roop for me.
Speaker 2: And I think there is potentially a role for him this year and he I would say, going into fall camp, my assumption is he's probably the fourth safety where if anyone goes down, he's probably the next man up there. But you could certainly earn a bigger role one way or the other. You know, even if those guys are healthy, you could certainly carve out a spot for yourself. He was he was a much bigger part of the conversation this spring than I was anticipating heading into the spring, and sort of stayed in that spot he was. We didn't see Terry Moore doing nearly as much nearly as early in the spring, and I think Lebra Roker was certainly a part of that. And now it's a question of, Okay, can you sort of maintain that spot right in that conversation, because yeah, I think I think there's a real opportunity for him to at least secure a rotational spot and be a fifteen twenty snaps a game and maybe maybe heats a lot more than that would just sort of see how the fall goes. I'm assuming when you said the obvious one that you were not going to talk about the obvious guy. The obvious guy feels like it's Devin Sanchez because it's you know that he's going to be the guy who you know that really freshman year, like he was ahead of where all these other freshmen we've been talking about on the show were you figure he's going to be ahead of them as well. I to me, he's your starter right now, So yeah, it's a big camp for him. To me, it's almost and this maybe I'm overthinking this, but is this not a bigger fall for Dominic Kelly in some ways than it is for Devin Sanchez. Like Devin Sanchez, it feels like he's gonna be the starter and it's a question of how good can he be this year? And that's obviously a huge question. Dominic Kelly is kind of a is he ready? Is he ready for prime time? Is he ready to be someone who is in that conversation with Jermaine Matthews with Devin Sanchez to play meaningful snaps or can he be you know, they haven't really done the three corner rotation thing as much as they did in pre you know, in sort of previous eras. Do they feel they can do that this year because he's another second year guy. He played at Georgia last year and was you know, kind of doing kind of in the same sort of genre as a lot of these truepressions we're talking about at Ohio State, where you know, there was a lot of buzz around him. He was playing situationally, playing you know, only playing in certain sort of moments, but making the most of those opportunities. He's kind of the cornerback version of the Riley, Petty John, the TJ. Alf Ford, the Zion Grad. I mean, these guys we've been talking about on this show. If he can earn a spot, I think that third corner spot is really wide open right now, very much up for grabs, and I think with a good camp he could earn that spot and maybe earn a spot as a real rotational player this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, this was my obvious answer. That's that's why I left it for you, Tom. But the potential is there. We saw him, he looked very good in the spring, So I have no issues with anything that you're saying. As you're talking, though, I'm thinking this is also an opportunity for Cameron Calhoun, Oh yeah, to jump, to jump Dominic Kelly, or to be somebody that they just want to have that veteran presence out there. Maybe he's good in the slot, maybe he's good outside where he's Yes, I'm a veteran, but I can I can also I'll show it on the field. And Ryan Day always talks about how he wants his veterans to play veteran and maybe that's something that Camon Calhoun can do. So yeah, I think there's a number of guys. And when we've talked about the linebackers, it's basically the same answer that I said with the defensive ends, like whoever, when's that job opposite of Peyton Pierce, Like they have the most to gain. Whoever finds a role that is outside of the established starters, they have the most to gain and can push themselves into that rotation. And what we do know is it's up to the player whether they get on the field or not. And you've got the coaches here on the defensive side of the ball for Ohio State looking for players to play. Larry Johnson didn't want us at stop playing bo Atkinson last year just because you know, like he had to stop playing him for a reason. There's they want to play more. They want to play more corners, they want to play more linebackers, they want to get more guys on the field. Trust me, James Laarden I just wants to play six linebackers. If he could, he would do it. But it's up to the linebackers, it's up to the corners, it's up to everybody to show that they belong and I think they've got some guys that can do that this year and certainly in camp and then and then after ten or twelve practices, you've got to start paring it down to say, Okay, who's playing against ball State and preparation for Texas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It's this is a time of year when they want to see everything. They want to make sure they have given everyone an opportunity because you did that in the spring. But a lot can change between the spring and the start of fall camp, and guys can get a lot better, guys can get healthy, guys can get hurt, a lot can change. So that's why these first few days of fall camp are always really really you know, a chance to gain a lot of insight into what this fall is really gonna look like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because in spring that's when you clean up surgeries and all of those sorts of things. So you don't really get to see your full team until fault camp, and we're all interested and seeing what that looks like. We will be talking about it at buckey Insiders dot com once camp gets underway, a in fact, we are talking about it before then as well. Would love to see over there. You sign up now and join us for the price of a lousy chain store pizza as we know, and of course you'll get much more than that over at Buckeye Insiders dot com. So would love to see you all there. Thank you all for tuning in, and we will talk to you guys.
Speaker 3: Letter let it throw away, don't know. Tell me I wish you'd never met nothing men were. If you can tell me that's the moor, it's all right. We could steal currently tonight