Speaker 1: Make us the number one preset on your car radio and on the free, new and improved iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Listen for all your music, radio and podcast free.
Speaker 3: Never sounded so good.
Speaker 2: One O three one Austin dot Com.
Speaker 1: Eybuddy, Ready to go, Let's do it. Welcome to the JV and Sandy Show. Wherever you are and however you're listening, Thanks for being here. My name is Sandy, This is JB. Hello, trust us here too.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 4: Everybody.
Speaker 1: You can text us anytime at seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred. Fight us on Instagram at JB Sandy at x, same handle on TikTok. I think got a little bit of tracks you with TikTok, we got I posted video. I think it got like eighteen hundred views in less than twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: So it's a start.
Speaker 1: When you're brand new on a new platform, it takes a little bit.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it's to get going.
Speaker 1: So again, they's got a lot of to a lot of extra stuff that I'm not used to that you can do.
Speaker 2: I saw it in bed with China, are you yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I figure the China and Chinese are going to have my information one way or another.
Speaker 5: So I getting a tutorial from our daughter on how to do the TikTok stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was trying to figure out the AI voices that you can use on that, which you're going to be hearing on the show for little things here and there. Not a lot of it, but some of it you're going to be hearing it. We need to take a moment and welcome with open arms Jeffrey Benedict Hager to the Raisin Canes Chicken Club.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the.
Speaker 1: Club there, it is welcome to the Raisin Cake waiting for Yeah.
Speaker 2: I finally went to Raisin Canes. Yeah, first time. It's funny because I when that. I went to the one in Westlake. I was out there. I was in Westlake for a meeting. I was like, you know, I'm going to try that place. I remember when they opened it because I think that used to be a taco bell and yeah, and they opened that up, and I was like, what, I had a chicken place in Westlake. I'm like, come on. And so I just avoided it, like I just I don't know. I thought it was kind of trashy and I just never went. And then last week I was reading about the founder of raising canes, and I was like so fascinated by the story that I was like, huh, I like this place now because of the story. And it was really and I had it. It was pretty good because you know, I don't eat a lot of fried food either, but I'm like every now and then, no big deal. It was really good, no surprise, right.
Speaker 4: You like the sauce.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I didn't even use the sauce.
Speaker 4: Oh JB.
Speaker 6: That's the magic of canes is the saw.
Speaker 2: I was eating and driving and that just gets messy.
Speaker 3: And I'm, yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: That you're next the next time you go and you incorporate the sauce.
Speaker 4: I think, really, then you'll understand.
Speaker 2: Oh. I didn't even think about it because I just yeah when i'm I just don't like it messy stuff in the car. Yeah, but I was reading about it. So Todd Graves is the guy that started raising canes in ninety six, but I don't know if you know this part of the story. He along with a friend, wrote a business plan for this for raising canes while going to LSU. Oh really, and the plan was to only serve chicken fingers, and the concept flopped with the critics and his professor gave him a low grade. So it's two niche it will never work. Several banks denied him. He couldn't get alan to start it. Oh wow, So the way to fund his dream of just doing chicken fingers was he took on. I don't know exactly what a boiler maker is. He was working ninety hour weeks.
Speaker 1: A boiler maker is like a room where a bunch of people on a phone selling penny stocks.
Speaker 2: And oh, to finance it. Yeah, he was working ninety hour weeks. And then he was doing a lot of fishing for sakeye salmon, just sock just putting his money away.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think he originally the concept was calling the place Sockeyes Socky's.
Speaker 3: But then he saved.
Speaker 2: Enough that he was able to get alone started this, and then you know, people all said he was crazy and he would do these late hours, and so it wasn't on my radar. And I noticed there's one right at the end of the drag and on the weekends, I think they're open till like three thirty in the morning or something like that. Smart he tart. And the first one he opened was by a university, like he he knew his audience, right, and I'm trying to find the exact number. It's like, so now he has Oh wait, there's another good part of the story. He had a handful of locations in Louisiana, and when Hurricane Katrina hit, it nearly wiped him out, banked up the business. He was going to be done, but he focused, survived and actually was feeding a lot of people whenever they You know, he's very known for help pitching in when when people are in need, like in hurricane type situations, especially being a Louisiana guy. Right, So now there are more than eight hundred of them in over forty states and some in the Middle East. Interesting, right, he has over fifty thousand employees.
Speaker 4: Good lord, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Forbes estimated him at over seventeen billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Let's think about this for a second. I mean, you're getting into the chicken business. Think about who your competition is, really, really mature businesses that you're getting into.
Speaker 2: The same sea.
Speaker 1: I would never do it just for that reason. What am I going to do better than churches? Than uh than Popeyes then Kentucky?
Speaker 3: Fright? What am I going to do better?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 4: One thing they do that the other chicken places don't do. Jabi.
Speaker 5: Did they throw this on you when you pulled up to order? Hey, hey, hey, want some chicken today?
Speaker 4: What about this classic chicken?
Speaker 3: Chicken?
Speaker 4: Chicken? Which one are you picking?
Speaker 2: You are a regular?
Speaker 3: Oh? Hell yeah, dude, they know my name.
Speaker 5: My name that I freaking love canes. It's the sauce.
Speaker 3: And I of course take the position that anything Trisha likes.
Speaker 4: I cannot because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ridiculous, going against the grain.
Speaker 3: It's just my nature. It's just just who I am.
Speaker 1: But it's a great story, though, I mean seriously, to get into the chicken business and just do chicken.
Speaker 2: It was the story that turn me into a customer. Yeah, not necessarily the chicken, like the chicken was. I guess I missed out on the sauce, but I'll try.
Speaker 5: But in my just from what I've learned, had a lot of canes. One little thing of sauce is not enough. You always get an extra two sauces, that's what you want.
Speaker 1: But you know what, There's a guy that I follow and watch his videos and stuff, and he talks about if you really, really really want to be successful, you have to accept the fact that you're not going to be understood, Like, you have to just accept that and people will tell you it's not going to works. That people are going to tell you it's not going to work. They're they're not going to get you. They're not going to understand you. Just accept that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think about it.
Speaker 2: It's going to be you know, Okay, we're not going to talk politics, but think about all the companies that Elon Musk has started, the richest man.
Speaker 5: And that people thought he was crazy crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm going to start a car company, are you nuts?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I want to go to Mars, Are you crazy? I want to put computer chips in people's brains? Right, I want to dig tundles under cities. Everything he does is crazy, right, yeah, on inception, on inception.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then it's like it's pretty a lot easier to think that big when you've got PayPal money, you know, when you.
Speaker 2: Even pay Yeah, I want to compete with banks.
Speaker 3: Right. He took on the establishment, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: I like the Adam Sandler story that he was in college trying to be an actor and one of his teachers are like, dude, you are never going to make it as an actor like, it's not going to work. I'm trying to help you out. You need to pick something different to do. And then years and years and years later, he runs into that same professor at a bar, buys him a drink. He's like, I can't remember if they hit on the remember what she told me kind of thing. But he was like, yeah, it was a huge vindication for me to run into that guy and be like, yeah, not only.
Speaker 2: Is he a legit actor, he's one of the highest grossing people on the more.
Speaker 1: Hours of Adam Sandler watched on Netflix than anybody else. Wow, you know, think about that. We're just trying to get on a radio station that everybody, that everyone in the city can hear here, right, I feel like, wait, I don't know. Maybe people think, maybe they're like, you're crazy.
Speaker 4: We only want some of the people to hear.
Speaker 1: We'd like to be on a radio station that everybody can hear in the whole city.
Speaker 3: We're not trying to go to the mars.
Speaker 4: People's brains.
Speaker 2: We're not trying to start a car company. We just want to get on a radio station.
Speaker 3: Our competition's pretty weak. I mean it's really weak.
Speaker 1: If you want to know the truth, we could go right to the top, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Very low risk here, very low risk.
Speaker 4: There's really no way to do work. There's no risk.
Speaker 3: So I just had to get that off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and unlike Graves with with canes, we picked an industry where everyone kind of sucks.
Speaker 6: And we just gotta be in death competition. We got to just be slightly good. Yeah, just gotta be a little work, a little harder. It just has to be a little better than that.
Speaker 1: Don't get us wrong. We want to be done by ten thirty. But oh lord, I hope someone hears that. They hear the humor in our voice. I also hope they hear this this serious. All right, Welcome to the club, JB.
Speaker 3: Fan.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, we get called out on the number of Louby's in Austin. We talked about this yesterday, thought there was only one left. We're wrong, but we got corrected very quickly. We'll share that with you and some other text messages that we've got. Trisia's got the story.
Speaker 3: We love. What do you have?
Speaker 5: All Right, We're going to talk about what Austin has been doing to fight that dangerous algae bloom in the lakes.
Speaker 4: That have been killing the dogs.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a lot more detailed their attack strategy than I thought. So we're going to talk about it and hear what they have decided is going to happen next.
Speaker 3: All right, stay with us.
Speaker 1: It's coming up on Austin's eighty station one O three point one and streaming on the iHeartRadio app. Austin's finally ready to take on the algae bloom problem.
Speaker 5: That's not ready to I'm gonna tell you what they've been doing. This is their dole out war.
Speaker 3: All right. This is in Lake Austin, right.
Speaker 5: Lake Austin, Ladybird Lake Redbetti Ale yes, all.
Speaker 1: Right, all that coming up in just a second. First, some messages that we have received. You can text us anytime at seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred TV. This is were you, uh and it says please tell JB I feel his mosquito pain. My latest mosquito defense tools are below. And she took a picture of all our stuff. She said, so for thermocel and deep. So far thermo cell in deep seemed to be the most effects effective. And I'm fixing to call mosquito Joe. Is that the guy you recommended Mosquito Joe.
Speaker 2: No, no, if you want to go that route is what is her name?
Speaker 3: Uh, it's a text message, don't have.
Speaker 2: A Well okay, well, okay, I'm sure Mosquito Joe is fine. But the I can speak more firsthand on Mosquito Control System Mosito MCS Austin dot Com. Okay, because they're they're uh, I'm sure, Like again on Mosquito Joe's probably fine. That's a franchise and these guys built it from the ground up with their own equipment and stuff like that. And I had really it's like I had it at my old house.
Speaker 3: I need it.
Speaker 2: And the reason I like, I don't have much of a mosquito problem here because my yards zero escaped, but my daughter has moved into this place.
Speaker 3: What MCS does.
Speaker 2: They come in and they put in a big tank on the side of your house and they use this chrysanthemum extract and it's so it's natural, it won't harm your pets or anything like that. And then they it has a pump and then they run a little tiny like it's almost it's basically like a misting system that goes around the perimeter of your yard and has these little nozzles and it sprays like a couple times a night, like at midnight, and like four am kills everything.
Speaker 3: Be very very passionate about fighting mosquito.
Speaker 4: I like it that our listener is fixing to do something right.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: She wrapped this up by saying, please keep us updated on your mosquito journey. Love you guys, listen every single day. Here is another text message. This goes kind of way back, and this is from what's her name ahead, I'll have it in.
Speaker 3: Just a second.
Speaker 1: She wanted to note the name of the Tom Jones song we used to play. She's asking this in twenty twenty five, right, I wrote her back, let her know it was the Friday song from Tom Jones. Was if I only knew was the name of that? That was from the lead and how to swing it now the important stuff. Getting called out for saying that there was only one Loubi's left in Austin.
Speaker 3: There is not there.
Speaker 1: I think that Kimberly and Paul were both talking about the same one. Kimberly said Slaughter Lane South Austin. Paul said slaughter And I'm thirty five.
Speaker 5: So I'm just happy to know there's two r not down to one. I'm very relieved for this update.
Speaker 3: Basically, Oh, that's that's.
Speaker 2: That's the where all the big box stores are.
Speaker 3: We used to go to concerts here. We used to go to concerts there.
Speaker 2: You guys knew what I was talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's one from Brian. She said, I sound like as an adult man saying OMG, I felt really dumb, but it's what she said.
Speaker 3: OMG.
Speaker 1: I literally just found you on the radio and had the text my BFF text group to tell them.
Speaker 3: You have no idea how happy this makes me. It's nice, so nice, So thank you very much.
Speaker 1: That is from a brand you can text us anytime seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred The Stories we Love Live.
Speaker 4: From the Lester Holtz Studios.
Speaker 5: It's Trisha Delicia.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: So, Sadie, you were confused and said that Austin is starting to attack the harpful algae blooms. I thought the same thing, but please know that Austin has been fighting this for five years. They're in their final stage of attack against the algae blooms that killed several dogs in Ladybird Lake in like twenty nineteen it killed another dog in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: What's it's helped me out. What's an algae blow?
Speaker 5: It's it's just like a blue green algae that grows and it's toxic to animals, not to humans.
Speaker 2: It grows, it grows when all these all the heat we have, yeah, summer, like it dies in the winter, grows in the summer. And the lake, as you guys know, Lake Travis has been down for what coming up on five years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, forever.
Speaker 2: So if they're not releasing as much, it's not flowing down river as much, it's more stagnant.
Speaker 3: God bad, but yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, fatal to dogs. It can make people sick.
Speaker 5: But I did not realize that they have been fighting it for the last five years and to get rid of this, they have been spending three hundred thousand dollars a year to spray this modified clay product on the water. And what that does is it sucks the phosphorus out of the algae and reduces the growth. So they've had really good results upstream like redbet Aisle, not great in Ladyburg Lake. But this is the end of the pilot program, so they're at the end of this one.
Speaker 4: This is over.
Speaker 5: They have three more months, I believe, to do this, and then they have to decide are they going to keep doing it or are they going to try something different because it's not apparently as effective as they hoped it would be.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: It's it's hard to play mother Nature or God if you want to call it that with stuff like this. Because I actually shot a video I haven't posted. I shot a video yesterday. The duck weed, the hydrilla is back, like it came on in force in just the last three weeks.
Speaker 4: Didn't they put fish carp or something in there to get all At one.
Speaker 2: Point, which is exactly where I'm going with this if you start playing God, here's what happened on Lake Austin the out the the duck weed, the hydrilla had pretty much it made parts of the lake impassable by both you get all in it.
Speaker 3: It was really bad.
Speaker 2: And so they put thousands and thousands and thousands of sterile carp to eat it all, which they did, but they ate all the validation.
Speaker 3: All of it, like.
Speaker 2: You know, any of the Marshy shoreline was just gone. And so then the you know, when with all the vegetation gone, the bottom of the lake was just a murky, muddy mess, and so the water was getting more more brownish, and you know, and then the I guess those carp have died out. So then then so when it ate all the vegetation, then the bass numbers were declining. That was That's really one of the best bass fishing lakes in Texas. It was on the decline. It's just like I'm gonna start playing God. It just it's it's it's messed up. I mean, I guess I guess it starts with damming up the river, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, m l Us and all the Highland lakes, right, I mean, is is that LCRA.
Speaker 3: That did that? Probably?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, But if you change, somebody in the meeting would go, well, what if they eat all of it? Excuse me, I have a question. Anyone thought about this? What did these fish eat all of it? I mean, you know what I mean, it's weird.
Speaker 5: Do you know how many products or slogans advertisements that that we've been like, how did.
Speaker 4: Somebody not catch that?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, I feel like that's what happened.
Speaker 3: How did that come up? In a meeting.
Speaker 4: But they're like, but they're sterile. They can't multiply. This is the perfect number.
Speaker 3: How do you know they're all sterile?
Speaker 4: Like just what it has to slip through, right I I you.
Speaker 2: Know, And there was a while there, Yeah, you'd see it, like I guess. I don't know how long Karp lived, but you'd see it. They were dying out. I don't see him much like if I'm at the marina where it's clear and I can see, I don't see them like I used to. But man, that hydrilla is back to there's gonna be a problem there.
Speaker 5: The average lifespan of a carp is forty five years upwards to seventy years.
Speaker 1: They're gonna have a big carp fishing tournament before you know it, right, wow, Wow.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 2: So that being said, there's there should still be plenty of them, and this all this hydrauler shouldn't be.
Speaker 5: That should have been another I have a question. Yeah, for a long time, I think.
Speaker 1: Some of them, like the rest of Austinnights, go to Colorado for the summer. That is the story. We love stick around. We're gonna have some fun with with guy Code, which is a very foreign thing. Like I remember once it's explaining to Trisha one of the guy code things in a year, it'll you don't talk to the dude next to you, No, I know, you know, you know, you don't do that. There's some other things, and also a clip from a movie. One of my favorite movies is called It Was the Town with Ben Affleck. I don't know if you guys ever saw it, but there's a classic scene between Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner in the movie that is perfect guy code. All right, share it with you. Coming up on Austin's ads station one O three point one