Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Buckeye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with time more times. How's it going, Tony?
Speaker 2: We are here with our free trophies or podcasting excellence. You can see those right behind us right there. One of them we got for the Michigan coverage. We did one of them movie for the Ohio state coverage, and the third one is not labeled, so I don't.
Speaker 1: Know that's coverage to be determined. They're just presuming that we're gonna win it, which is a safe presumption.
Speaker 2: It doesn't say bold prediction, so I can safely say what it doesn't what it's not.
Speaker 1: For anyway, Welcome to the While we're recording this, this is day two of Big Den Media Days, Ohio status here today and the topic I wanted to talk about, Tom is what are the possibilities that the three guys that we talked to today are first Team All Americans? Because do you remember who we talked to last year?
Speaker 2: As I will say yes, as long as you have absolutely no follow up, I will tell you.
Speaker 1: All three turned out to be First Team All Americans?
Speaker 2: Okay? Was was Jeremiah Smith there? Last year? I feel like it was Newsworthy last year. I believe it was three guys who none of them.
Speaker 1: Were old enough to check into a kitchen. No, no, no, three people.
Speaker 2: Who were not old enough to check into a hotel room. I remember that. So it was Sunny Styles, Jeremiah Smith and.
Speaker 1: One of the other nineteen All Americans on last year's team. Yeah, it doesn't really narrow it down all that much. Third year player, they're no longer with the team. Yeah, Caleb of some sort?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh yes, yes, they did hold Caleb downs in somewhat high regard. I forgot. I forgot about that, that he was liked and respected within the program.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, is that because you've already moved on to the Jalen McLain era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's how you name in Ohio state safety Jalen McClain. I can't think of any others ever.
Speaker 1: Well, and I do what, Let's start start off with Jaalen McLain. Who is he is here today? With Jeremiah Smith and Julian Sayan And sure, you know we'll get to Julian Saying and Jeremiah Smith coming up coming up. But Jalen McClain the way the coaches talk about and the way his teammates talk about him, the way that we've seen a little bit of him. We've seen him he started all of last year, started a couple of games as a true freshman, but we haven't really seen him unleashed yet. I think a lot of the defense last year was designed for Caleb Downs to go do what he wanted. This year, with no Caleb Downs, that gives Matt Patricia more opportunity to do stuff with Jalen McClain, more opportunity for Jalen McClain to do stuff. A lot of it's going to come down to attention and knowing his name. And I think you could already just start the narrative in terms of, well, this guy's replacing Caleb Downs and that that will help. But it also creates this level of judgment that he has.
Speaker 2: To me well, and that's that's like an unfair benchmarkets.
Speaker 1: You know, like being the second.
Speaker 2: Kid, which I couldn't relate as the oldest, but if you know you're the second kid, you know, the.
Speaker 1: Oldest kids like they did not get it correct, and so they kept trying until they did.
Speaker 2: I was the youngest, and then they're like, no, no, I think we're done here. It's ever again, won't make that mistake again? Yeah, the first one. The first one goes through and you know, oh, well, they were on the honor roll. Why aren't you on the honor roll like they were? Or you're on their honor roll but not on the high honor roll. Why weren't you on the higher honor roll like your older sibling? Like that? It feels like Killin Downs is going to be remembered with this like he was. He was talked about with this like angelic glow around him even while he was at Ohio State. Now that he's gone, it's going to be, oh, you remember Caleb Downs, he was the best. You know, everyone else they can't be the best because Kele Downs is the best. That's gonna be a hard standard to live up to. But it's also, you know, all of this is gonna be true of all of these guys. These guys are all going to have opportunities to if they play well early in the season. You show out in that Texas game, then all American voters are going to go, oh, yes, I remember that guy. He was the guy who had the interception, or he was a guy who had one hundred and fifty years receiving or whatever it was in that Texas game. Jilla McLain is someone who I don't He's certainly not the person I think is the most likely to be a first team All American out of this group. The voters get fatigue voting for certain positions and certain schools, Like I feel like there's Jeremiah said has maybe suffered a little bit from this with the Blitnikov Award, where he very easily could have won it either the last two years. But it's like, you know, we've given this to an Ohio State receiver. Were always talking about Ohio State receiver. Let's talk about someone else. It feels like that's kind of factors into you might just have a little bit of Ohio State safety fatigue.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think that's where it's up to Jalen to get past that, to play past that. And you mentioned this angelic speaking of Haleb Downs. I think there's some devilish speaking about Jalen McClain around the program in terms of what he could be for the defense. So that's one guy to keep your eye on. The next guy. We can probably just do an entire show on in terms of Julian saying and being an All American the last first team All American for Ohio State at quarterback, Tom it's like you've had some tangential, like you've had like this writer, this magazine did this. It does not happen off. It doesn't happen off and no, and y Smith maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thinking back, and boy, it feels like the Ohio State quarterback wins the Silver Football Award is the Big Ten's best player, like period, full stop, best player about every other year, but first Team All American C J. Stroud, I don't think that because.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be either it's it's Trice, which he did do it, yeah, and that was twenty years ago. Or then you go to Dwayne Haskins because Ja C. Verrett never did a Dwayne Haskins and Cezy Straps justin fields, those three and they were never like I don't believe any of them have Tree and Buckeye Grove. So the idea that it's tough for an Ohio State quarterback to do it despite being this is the golden age of Ohio State quarterbacks, but it's also the golden age of college football quarterbacks, and so Justin Fields is competing against you know, Trevor Lawrence, and all of these guys have other elite peers that they're competing against. So the idea that Julian Sane could do it this year, I will remind you he is the lone returning Heisman finalist, like he should be the favorite. He's been listed among the favorites in terms of like player rankings this year. Do you see him being a first team All American?
Speaker 2: Well, our friends at Sports Reference in for me that Chris Smith is the only Ohio State player to be a census first team All American as a quarterback. So I'm gonna say possible, absolutely likely, No, not particularly because you've got so many other you know, this is the spot where there's only one, so odds are odds are The answer is it's going to be someone else somehow.
Speaker 1: I mean not even just consensus, but like there could be four different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there could be. There could be And and I think you know, we've sort of projected he's going to have a better year this Year's this the stats are probably going to be a little bit better this year. They were already very good in a lot of ways. Last year. I think he's and I think he you know, there has been enough discussion about he's going to make some plays with his legs maybe, and so that opens up some opportunities to have a Heisman moment or an All American kind of moment in a different kind of way. I think he's I think he is. Certainly, you know, we're some We're somewhere between plausible and likely. I don't think we're the likely right now, but I can absolutely see it. It's it's a possibility. But I don't I don't look at Julian saying and say likely first team. I think he's likely, deserving likely in the conversation, almost certainly in the conversation.
Speaker 1: But I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't assume that just based on the history here.
Speaker 1: I think if he's the first team All Big Ten quarterback, he's got better odds of being the first Tame because he's going to be competing with Dante More to be that All American. Also that the first team All Big Ten quarterback.
Speaker 2: And and I mean, yes, those guys, yes, But also I feel like people could take up their mind on this Week two when it's arch Manning versus juliansaying, and if arch Manning has a big night, then you're gonna have Well, you know, it's like the Notre Dame Miami thing a year ago, where it's like, well, yes it was Monday night or Sunday night of Labor Day weekend, but you know it's a head to head competition and you you saw it on the field. How can you possibly vote for you could have one of those guys eliminated, but sort of with a big dark mark on their record just having lost that game, even though they don't play particularly badly.
Speaker 1: We kind of made up our mind on arch Banning after that game. Now, he continued to yeah, prove, yeah, the opinions correct, that that had downgraded him one. One game can certainly sets the narrative. Jeremiah Smith feels like he's just he's the free free space. Yeah. And the people who don't make him All American even they're just like the contrarians, like, yeah, growing up in Northwest Ohio, those are the Michigan fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're being a try hard if you're if you're not voting for Jeremiah Smith as the first team All American. If he's healthy, you kind of know what you're gonna get there if he produces, Like yeah, but even if he even if the numbers are down a little bit, why would the numbers be down a little bit, Well, because he's probably drawing right two and three guys. I mean, we saw this with Marvin Harrison a few years ago where it was like, well, Marvin Harrison didn't have very big numbers. It was like, yes, well they had two guys and also had you know, a nickel sort of shaded over there, and so yes, if you've got three guys around you, you can't always Now, there was the play in the Rose Bowl against Oregon where there were three defenders around him and he's still called the ball. But you can be an incredibly impactful player and it doesn't always show up as just like you know, stat sheet, go burr.
Speaker 1: He will have enough plays, certainly you have enough touches to where you can justify it. But if he doesn't have the most, people are gonna be like, well, I thought, you're Jeremiah Smith. Why don't you have the most, most of this and most of that? And well, if you just want to play me in one on one, I would, right, yeah, yeah, you'd playing me even up. So looking at these three and you're saying you have safety fatigue and the lack of quarterback or the difficulty of being in a quarterback, who do you think is most likely between Jaylen and Clane and Julian saying because to me, that's a pretty good question because obviously, well it's Julian saying he's the quarterback, but it's like, well, there's five or six other quarterbacks that are going to garner that kind of attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, and it's it's I think those two are very close. I think those are those two are very much in the same sort of bracket here where Jeremiah Smith. Yeah, I assume I would be a little surprised if Jeremiah Smith was not a first team All American Jillen McLain and Julian saying possible, deserving, but not likely. Necessarily to me, I'm gonna say Jalen McClain is the second, because I think you're going to have the quarterback position is so narrative driven that that's gonna be one of those things they're talking about on college game day and that can sort of drive the conversation and push voters who are just sort of like, well, you know, like there are going to be vote it's just going to work in Ohio State's favor. In some cases where it's like if you haven't been paying particularly close attention, sort of the default answer is Jeremiah Smith a wide receiver position quarterback. I think that could get driven in a narrative way where it's you know, who are the people on TV talking about safety? I think is going to be a little bit more of a do your own homework kind of thing and that so that can be stats that can be and because I do think he's going to have a pretty diverse stat sheet where he's going to be up and run support at times and be you know, have some maybe have some tackles for lost, maybe have some some sacks, but also have some interceptions, but also have just some highlight real plays.
Speaker 1: The interesting thing about Jayleen Jalen McLain, he can't have kleb Down's stats and being all he won't be an All American with kleb downs stats because slee down stats last year were like they're fine, yeah, but it was won a name recognition and everybody raving about him since he's a true freshman, but also as we talked about with him, like he's like jazz, you get a Yeah, it's the plays that you don't see that that he doesn't make because he's already taking stuff stuff away. Jalen McClain will need to be the stat sheet stuffer to get this, and I think he's gonna have a chance to do that. So what do you guys think? Give us your likelihood of all Americans in there is tom way off that Julian saying cannot be an all American. Let us know hit that thumbs up. Subscribe to the channel and continue to find us over at Buckeye Insiders dot com. Thank you all for tuning again and we'll talk to you all later. Nothing away, then, I wish you nothing.
Speaker 2: If you can tell me that's the moots all right, we can steal current le tonight