Speaker 1: You hear us talk about ways to unlock VIP membership through your Apple account in the Apple Podcast app and also through Patreon or Spotify. To unlock a full VIP membership with full access to archives and ad free website and customizable podcast feeds that are compatible with the Apple Podcast app and many iOS and Android apps, along with streaming ability right from our ad free mobile site, go to pwtorch dot com slash go VIP. That's pwtorch dot com slash go VIP That'll give you all the details on everything you're missing out on by not being a VIP member, the whole array of VIP exclusive podcasts like The Way Keller news bulletins, our post pay per view roundtables, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, Everything with Rich and Wade, and an array of other shows with different hosts and different themes, along with unlocking our archives dating back nearly four decades nearly two thousand. Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletters over two decades, a podcast on demand dating back to the mid two thousand, starting with pay per view roundtables of fascinating retro radio shows, including many that I hosted in the nineteen nineties and an ad free website. Exclusive content on that website only for VIP members written and audio, and a lightning fast, smooth, AD free VIP mobile site for all of our content. Don't miss out on all the benefits. Treat yourself to a VIP membership. PW Torch dot com slash Go VIP, go all the Way, Go VIP, PW Torch dot Com slash Go VIP.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: PW Torch and Speaker bring you the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast. It's time for this week's Interview Classic, where Wade Keller Interview is one of pro Wrestling's newsmakers.
Speaker 1: On today's Wadkeller Pro Wrestling Podcast Interview Classic episode, we jump back to two interviews from ten years ago. First up, Iron Chic and Bob Backland. P tow Torch columnist Bruce Mitchell and I were able to interview Bob Eckland at Iron Cheek in person in Waterloo, Iowa at the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame Weekend banquet at a live studio audience at the Dan Gable Wrestling Museum, and it was a blast. And I mean, these two are such incredibly significant historical figures. During a big period of WWE, especially Bob Backland of course long term champion, but the transition from Backland to Chic to Hogan a real seminal moment in pro wrestling history, transitioning from the territory era to the national expansion and Vince McMahon and the larger than life muscular characters obviously the Superstarpully Grand before that and others, but Hulk Hogan is a centerpiece world champ. Iron Cheek was the transition heel for that era. We also talked about the transition from amateur to professional wrestling, the relationship with Vincent J. McMahon Vince Senior and Vincent K mcman Vince and much more. These are two characters and it comes across in the interview. And then our second interview was just a few days before that. Actually it took place a few days after, but it was posted a few days before, and that was Jim Valley's interview with maghum Ta. This originally dropped on or actually streamed live on July thirtieth, twenty sixteen. Then Jim Valley talked with maghum Ta about a variety of topics and also some live callers with some nostalgia topics and more. So let's get to it really fun back to back interview Classic episodes here on the Weight Color Podcast on Saturday, August eighth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: That radio.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the p W Torch Live Cast. I am Way Keller, editor and publisher of the Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletter since nineteen eighty seven, and also pwtorch dot com the website and mmatorch dot com the website. We covered the world of pro wrestling and mixed martial arts with breaking news, exclusive features, live event coverage, and much more every single day. So if you're a pro wrestling fan or an MMA fan, be sure to check out both PW torch dot com and mmatorch dot com every single day. Right now at PW torch dot com, we've got James Caldwell's report on last night's Cruiserweight Classic Tournament results Week four, including Gargano versus Champa in the conclusion of the first round. Also, we have last night's new Japan G One results the g One Climax tournament.
Speaker 5: Can he used to.
Speaker 1: Produce some great matches. Sean Radikin doing a great job covering that for PW torch dot Com and NXT results last night with Adeowa, Tommy returning to action, Bobby Rood's NXT debut and a main event tag team match with the Revival, and also Metzger's r OHTV results with a big tag team main event with tons of champs involved. Moose wrestles twice and his analysis of the show. Thursday mornings are always big on PW torch dot com because we have so much going on on Wednesday nights now with NXT, the Cruiserwey Classic and r o H TV, and you add to that the g One Climax Tournament. It's it's turned into a hub of wrestling television viewing Wednesday nights have this is Interview Thursday, and normally on Interview Thursday we run live interviews. This week got something special and out of the ordinary that has not been heard before, and that is a podcast that Torch Senior columnist and Friday Peterlee Torch Live cast host Bruce Mitchell and I hosted together at the Dan Gable Wrestling Museum in Waterloo, Iowa. And this was at part of the George Tragos Luths Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame weekend a couple weekends ago. It's a second year in a row. Bruce and I have attended Travis Bryant from the Friday East from the Friday Live Cast and Wednesday East Coast Cast, which you can find at East coastcast dot com. Along with Torch Audio analyst Todd Martin joined me for those festivities. We watched Dave Meltzer the Wresting Observer and inducted into the Hall of Fame. Bruce and Day very tight over the last twenty some years and a number of other wrestlers. Two wrestlers who were inducted were Iron Cheek and Bob Beckland. Those two were part of wrestling history, iron Cheek being the wrestler who defeated Bob Backland for the WWF Championship that then led to Hulk Cogan coming in and capturing the WWF World title in a very big transition for WWF. The move from Bob Backland, a white bread do no wrong role model babyface, to Hulk Hogan was a major pivotal moment in the history of professional wrestling, and Iron Cheek and Bob Backland have never done an interview together, never done any interview together until two weekends ago and Bruce and I had the privilege of interviewing Iron Checken Bob Backland. When I told some people about the interview, they were like, Oh, I bet that was like hurting cats and other such an agies because she could Backland our such characters and they are and boy does that come across in this interview.
Speaker 6: It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I think you'll learn a lot about Iron Cheek's background, his story of why and how he came to the United States, what he did when he got here, how he found a home in Minnesota, and what he went on to do with his professional life is amazing. And at the end of the interview, it's one of the great finishes to a podcast ever. And I have to create a visual for this because you'll hear it, but I think you need to understand the visual of what was happening because this podcast was conducted in front of a live studio audience. One hundred or so people were packed into the the five Sullivan Brothers Convention Center, which is across the street from the Hall of Fame. It's the major convention center hub in Waterlough, Iowa, and the room was packed with wrestling fans who were part of the All Access Past weekend for the Hall of Fame weekend. And so I'm I'm sitting I'm sitting in the middle of the table. To my left is Bruce Mitchell, to my right is the Iron Cheek, and then to Iron Cheeks right is Bob Backland. We're all sitting at a table and looking at an audience of fans watching the podcast and watching and listening. So we get to about the hour mark, close to it, and so we're getting near the end and I throw a question she can Backland. Sheek answers it, and then Backland begins to answer it, but he also stands up and he starts being very visual about what he's saying about how you One of his favorite parts about being a wrestlers started is taking starting the match low and slowly building it up higher to bringing the crowd to this peak moment, and he can describe it better than I am here. I don't want to steal his thunder, but he's being very visual about it. And then at the end you'll hear him say, and that is it. I have to go work out, and so he ends the podcast in a very visual way. Which is running around the building giving high fives to to the hosts. Bruce and he gave a high five to me and then a high five to Bruce, high five to Iron Cheek, and he ran through the crowd and started giving high fives. And these are not light high fives. You don't take them lightly. These are shoulder dislocating high five flaps from Backland, who is incredibly fit for somebody who's sixty six years old. I mean, honestly, you know, his skin looks like an older person. That's not there's not much people can do about that. I mean, you can eat healthy and stay out of the sun and you know, use good soap and all that kind of thing. Put me in general that that's a little bit more of a giveaway. That's somewhat unavoidable in terms of aging. However, But by the way, it's not bad skin. It's just okay, he doesn't look thirty, you know what I mean when you look at him. But his physique is incredible, his energy is incredible. But but I mean, he was wearing a tight shirt and it just I mean, he what he has done to maintain his physical fitness throughout his life is amazing. So I say that as a as a preface for this. He after giving high fives to everybody, he grabs a handle roller that he uses to do a certain exercise that he finds that he likes a lot and has done his whole life. He grabs that and he runs out of the room. Now I conclude the podcast. People are laughing and applotting, I think the chic and I'm kind of wrapping things up and taking, you know, sting the microphone down and all that.
Speaker 6: At this moment.
Speaker 1: I found out later Bob Beckland is jogging from the five Sullivan Brothers Convention Center across the street and down the block to the Dan Gable Wrestling Museum, and he runs all the way into the facility to a wrestling matt workout area at the museum, because I have this whole you can have a membership there. There's a shower facility, there's a wrestling mat, there's mini bleachers, or you can watch wrestling exhibitions. He runs into that room and he starts exercising just as he said he was going to do on schedule. He didn't want to miss his workout with the time that he had that afternoon, and he does a full workout, and he does I can't remember how many, how many steps, how many squats, It was an incredible number. I know that Dave Meltzer was talking to him trying to think when he was asking, oh, is that the autograph session the next day? Because the members of the Trago Stas Hall of Fame do those who attend the convention each year participate in an addograph session, And so Dave Meltzer and Ire sit next to each other and Bob Ackland is is next to us, and Dave starts asking him about his workout routine, and so Bob just talking about all the stuff he does, and it just it was, it was Dave was in awe of what Bob does and how he built up to it and how he stayed healthy doing it.
Speaker 6: He was just he's amazing.
Speaker 1: So he's a real character. I would say there's a fine line between Bob Backland the person and Bob Beckland the character. I think that the character version is a little bit of an amplified version of of who he really is. But I spent a good amount of time talking to him at the at the Indie Wrestling event, the Impact Pro Wrestling event on Friday night after, which was a few hours after this podcast took place, and and he was much more low key and conversational. But there's still something about him or you know, he's you just look at him and you think he's on the verge of snapping, you know, like not snapping in a bad way, but snapping into into Bob Backland yelling mode. You know what you see with him right now in WWB TV with Darren Young and so I spend a good amount of time talking to him at intermission at the Indie show and and and saw a different version of him. In fact, it was I think last fall, was it or last year Bruce Mitchell and I interviewed him, I think three weeks in a row about his his phenomenal wrestling book. He and the co author of that wrestling book just did such a trummendous job. I want to give a shout out to Rob Miller too, who was on the live cast last year. Backlan's book Books is one of my favorite wrestling books four hundred and eighty three pages, four hundred eighty four pages, and it covers a timeframe in WWE history that no other book covered in the way in a first hand, here's what happened behind the scenes way because he covers the nineteen seventies and early eighties Vince McMahon senior era of the WWF from a wrestler's perspective thoroughly, and I highly recommend the book. It's Backland from All American Boy to Professional Wrestling's World Champion by Bob Ackland and Rob Miller definitely recommend that book. And Bob was on this show and did a great job with the interview. I mean, he was really engaging, told great stories. This is a slightly different version of that Backland because he's performing in front of a crowd a little bit and it changes his dynamic a little bit. But the stories and the attitude and the outlook are all there, and he's being truthful. And some of the insights he shares about vincick Mann Senior in the transition to vinsick Man Junior, I think are real poignant to understanding wrestling history and understanding Bob Ecklin for that matter. So there's some really cool stuff in this interview. And as I said, it was done live in front of a studio audience and that doesn't happen very often. Here at PW Torch Livecast. I was going to run the interview last week, but because of the draft, and because last week was the first episode of Ron SmackDown post draft, and because I had the opportunity to interview Jim Ross, I decided not to run the interview right away and save it for this week because it certainly is more of a historical oriented interview and isn't in that sense, it doesn't have an expiration date in terms of its freshness, So we present that to you this week here at PW torch Live Cast. Your time is valuable. Go VIP and listen to our show's commercial free a nice streamline listening experience. Pw toorch dot com slash go vip for full details on a commercial free listening experience, and with a full VIP membership, you can create custom feeds for individual shows or groups of shows by theme, and also unlock nearly four decades of archives and access our ad free website with VIP exclusive content. PW torch dot com slash go vip. Your time is valuable, and that's one of the reasons we offer VIP membership. PW torch dot com slash go vip.
Speaker 6: So they do want to know.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, Bruce Mitchell and Travis Bryant to be by at seven Eastern for the Friday live cast and then Saturday Morning Wrestling with Jim Valley airs Saturday morning of course, so we encourage you to check those shows out live and participate. Yesterday on the live cast, Jim Valley filled in for Pat McNeil who was vacationing, and he was at Nwafanfest on location with Britt Wittmeier, a longtime radio veteran out of North Carolina, Jim Valley, a radio veteran out of Portland, Oregon, and they did a live on location at NWA FanFest show. It was just fun, real, casual. There were some sound issues, not so much with Jim Valley, but with Britt and his microphone and the one that was used for people asking questions for about the first twenty minutes of the show yesterday. I did a considerable amount of post production work yesterday late last night on the show, and I re uploaded it. So if you did download the show yesterday and kind of gave up on it because the sound level was kind of low because it was at a remote live show and it just wasn't a place that Jim had experience doing a remote show from, so we had some technical issues. I was able to amplify the sound, clean up some of the sound, even out the sound levels with the different people. It's still not great for the first twenty minutes or so, but I think if it's unbearable, just skip to the middle of the show. If you can get through it. Either way, there's some really interesting stuff and fun conversations with callers. Bruce Mitchell calls in gives Jim and Britt a hard time about the sound issues because they're always giving him a hard time about his technical problems that he on occasion self inflicts on Fridays, and sometimes I'm part of that by not allowing him to wrap up the Bruce Mitchellatio Show recording before he does a live cast, and he's scrambling. But nevertheless, it's a fun show and I think it's worth checking out some fun stories that the ties are loosened up and everyone's just kind of being casual and having fun. And it's always cool when you're on site on location and you're just getting the host kind of observing what's going on and talking about different people walking by, so I encourage you to check that out. Also, I mentioned MMA Torch earlier. I encourage you to check out our website. We've got the latest news, results and more. In fact, we have some video up on the site right now of Nate Diaz confronting fans who were picking Connor McGregor to win at UFC two o two. That was from Jimmy Kimmel Live and DS thinks UFC wants him to lose at USC two o two. We've got a quote from Nate Dias saying that USC wants him to lose. What's that all about. Also, Cyborg is reportedly set to headline UFC Fight Night ninety five. Some details on that in the news. We also have notes on USC two to one, full results, star ratings in terms of entertainment value and historical significance of the fights, and of Ultimate Fighter twenty three finale, live results, live results of all recent shows, and the daily Top five. The latest is the Top five Quotes of the week that was posted earlier today. There's some good quotes in the world of MMA every week, and mmatorch dot com is your home, your weekly home to pick out the top five and man Mark hunt unleashed on Brock, Lesnar and UFC and how they're handling Brock's suspension. That quote is worth visiting MMA Torch four and clicking on the top five list alone. So some good stuff over at MMA Torch. Here is a word about our home based website, the PW Torch Live Cast, where you can find easily find back episodes past episodes from our archives and search by category and stream them right off our mobile friendly site or on our desktop site. And here's some details on that. And then when we come back, it'll be time to play Bob Backland and Iron Cheek. Thanks for your supportive the show, and thank you so much to all of you for continuing to make this show such a success. Here we go with some details on our home website where you can get further more episodes of this show. All right, so again, this interview was conducted and recorded live at the five Sullivan Brothers Convention Center in Waterloo, Iowa as part of the George Tragos Luthe's Progressing Hall of Fame Weekend at the Dan Gable Museum. And this interview was conducted on July twenty second, twenty sixteen. It is Iron Chic and Bob Eckland. My co host is Bruce Mitchell on this program Playback. I'm gonna start with Bob, because what I would like to mister Backland to you young man, mister Backland, Thank you, sir, thank you, sir. Uh, mister Backland. The we got some water.
Speaker 6: Excellent.
Speaker 1: This This this Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame is special for a lot of reasons, but one of them is the connection that it makes between amateur wrestling and those who transition into professional wrestling. And I wanted both of you, and I'll start with you, mister Backland, to talk about, uh, your amateur background. People obviously know some people who know your amateur backgrounds, so people know much better your WWF and pro wrestling background. Talk about the roots of amateur wrestling and how did that transition and help you in professional wrestling in your earliest time, both training and getting accepted and acclimated to the pro ring.
Speaker 5: I started wrestling when I was eighth grade and I have a book out right now. It came out September sixteen. It's about my whole life. And in eighth grade, I went out for sports because I had a father that was a very poor drinker. I didn't know nothing about sports. I didn't care anything about sports. I was standing on the top of a fence and I was going to fall on my face and be disaster as far as my future is concerned. I didn't care about winning and losing. I just didn't want to go home and listen to all the garbage. That's how I got started in football, wrestling, and track. And I got beat up every day in practice, every single day. That's how I started. And I'm very happy that started, because at one time it started kicking in, started paying off a little bit, and I learned six principles from amateur wrestling, six of them. By the time I was a senior in high school, not left Princeton, Minnesota to come down here to Wallfield there and I transferred to North Dakota State University. Used those same principles that I learned from our sport, amateur wrestling, and I left a bigger market North Dakota State University. I won the NCAA tournament in wrestling and in football in about a two month time period. And when I left to go wrestle in the world of wrestling. I shouldn't say the WWF because I started out down in Batan News, Louisiana, I knew I was going to succeed.
Speaker 2: I didn't doubt it.
Speaker 5: And there was a lot of people in my hometown that's that don't even leave town. You're not mad Dog, you're not the butcher, You're just that oh American kid. Those people are never successful wrestling business. And because of those principles, I didn't let that get into my mind at all. I didn't listen to it at all. I stayed focused, and when I left Princeton, Minnesota, I had a nineteen sixty eight green Chevrolet and pallor. I had twenty dollars in my pocket. When I got down to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, I had twenty nine cents left. They paid me five dollars. Grizzly Smith gave me an envelope.
Speaker 6: I opened it up.
Speaker 5: When I got in the car, I had five dollars and now I got five dollars and twenty nine cents in my pocket.
Speaker 2: The closest person that I knew to me.
Speaker 5: Was fifteen hundred miles away. I canceled the reservation that I made it to Sheridan, and that cost me twenty nine cents. Now I've got f five dollars left. I went to a supermarket and bought all the tuna fish I could buy, and then I bought a can opener and sleeping in the trunk of the car that night. I'm broke, homeless and sleeping in the trunk of the car. But I believed that I was going to climb. I started out in the exact bottom, but I believed I was gonna go uphill every day, and I never let up in that and I succeeded. That's what amateur wrestling did for me. That's what amateur wrestling gave to me, and that's one of the reasons why I'm here. That's one of the reasons why I used to have kids tournaments. I wanted children to get into sports because of what it did to me, especially wrestling.
Speaker 1: You thank you, Bob, Thank you. Mister Backland iron Cheek a similar question to you.
Speaker 6: This is the Hall of.
Speaker 1: Fame where there is a great reverence to the history and connections of amateur wrestling and professional wrestling. Can you speak about your amateur background and as a foundation for your pro career.
Speaker 7: Well, mister Bob Baker said it purfor because wrestling is the toughest sport in the Olympic and America and Rendez world.
Speaker 5: And I was very young in Iran.
Speaker 8: Nationalist sports is a firstall and grecor Wan wrestling and I have a two Westerlins here, mister Megon and his son, and they used to come watch me. I was fourteen years old and in the run our practice and mister Megan was one of the great thing.
Speaker 5: Corporate were same club.
Speaker 9: I go every day, take a bus from home and one hundred and twenty five pm I was.
Speaker 8: I went to the practice practice. Like mister Backland said, wrestling is the toughest sport in the Olympic one and one and division.
Speaker 2: You want to be the best, you want to be champion.
Speaker 8: You have to pay for your due and every day go practice practice. Practice makes us to be perfunction without practice hard.
Speaker 7: To be champlain.
Speaker 2: So for me pleasure to outcome in the.
Speaker 8: Waterloo, Iowa then gave country and special Olympic champlain. I wresting with mister Gabel in Minnesota in the University of Minnesota and also my coach mister Alan Rice from Minnesota. I was very young, I'll come to America and then only person healthy was from Minnesota, neighbor of the Iowa.
Speaker 10: And I'm sorry, maybe my English not too good.
Speaker 2: I don't want to sweitch too fast or anything.
Speaker 8: But like mister Buckland said, and I paid for my mister Buckland, paper is due. And then from Tehran, Iran all this country in the world National Sports Crystal and Greco Roman.
Speaker 2: And then I made it to the New York.
Speaker 8: From New York, I went to the Minnesota and then Minnesota practice practice and my coach was mister Alan Rice. And Sir Alan Right is one of a great coach in Minnesota. And wipe me from New York to the Minnesota and come in the airport pick me up.
Speaker 2: And then I used to live in the in the dinky Town and dinky Town not too far from the.
Speaker 8: University of the Minnesota in Minnesota Golfer University. I used to live in the Dinkiton and then in the Fortunity. And mister Allen Rice come every day other day. Together we heard the Minnesota wrestling crop, and Minnesota wrestling crop was a very very.
Speaker 2: Good wrestling, a lot of good wrestler.
Speaker 8: My team was an excellent team nineteen sixty nine first place.
Speaker 2: And myself and nineteen seventy and also I'll after you read this one and tell me what they was there and what found I was and what poets.
Speaker 1: For you did read both of them Philae the PRAMI my reading classes by the National Athletics National Athletic Union of the United States.
Speaker 6: In the year Roman.
Speaker 5: Numerals you did the glasses of summer.
Speaker 6: He just had eye surgery. What's the Roman numerals?
Speaker 2: The glasses is long read?
Speaker 11: This is.
Speaker 12: For us.
Speaker 2: You up for my dude, so I can make it today? What's her iva? Thank ever country? And I want to say hello to all my wrestling firms to our year. Hey, no, I'm up for my dude. Can you please if.
Speaker 5: You can not read, I give it Greg.
Speaker 1: Greco Roman Wrestling one hundred and eighty three point five.
Speaker 6: And I know this year. It was the year I was born, nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 2: So what year was? What country?
Speaker 6: What yours?
Speaker 2: What year?
Speaker 6: What country for the United States? Yeah? Well what a sports Creco Roman wrestle.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I want to let you know you can buy everything with money except that gold medal.
Speaker 8: Mister, No, you have to pay for your due to you come from all this country terror I wrong to the Minnesota and you be our sister coach Master Allen Rise and make.
Speaker 2: My team to be three years a you champlin.
Speaker 8: From nineteen seventy one and I went to the Mooning Olympic Game nineteen seventy two Olympic Game and over there who was mister Dane Gabel, one of my greatest Wterloo I WA from America, one hundred and forty nine pombs and he was over there and we turned him into the Srallen Rise. I'm happy to be in the Midwest today and especially in the Waterloo, Iowa.
Speaker 2: I love all maners in fence.
Speaker 13: Longing for some nostalgia or maybe you want to learn some wrestling history, don't miss the nineties Past cast every Friday on the PW Towards Daly Cast Feed. Alex and Patrick will transport you thirty years into the past by taking you through the Torch issue from that very weak follow news from the WWF and WCW and all the happenings from across the wrestling industry in real time as The Torch reported it thirty years ago. That's the nineties Pass cast every Friday for the PW Torch Daily Cast Feed.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the transition to professional wrestling because times are different today and the amateur wrestling Olympic experience doesn't come around of that often. Obviously, Kurt Angle, who was here last year, is one of the exceptions to the rule. Mister Backland, talk about what your impression of professional wrestling was before you got into it, how it changed, if that if at all, and how you were accepted into the pro wrestling fraternity. It was more of a challenge back then to become accepted, probably than today, in terms of the toughness and the dues that you had to pay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, the five dollars that I got paid that night. It wasn't that they were cheap. It was that they wanted to find out how bad I wanted it. They thought I would go home. They didn't want to take the time. They paid me five dollars to see if I would last. That's how it entered in there. But I'm a very stubborn person, And when I was sitting in the car, sleeping in the trunk of the car, I found out what it was like to be hungry and wonder how in the heck you're going to eat your next meal. I went through that, and I believe it was a very important lesson to learn, because when I started doing a little better, I never wanted those days to come back again. I was thinking of marrying a young lady from North Dakota State University, and I didn't want a family that could ever be introduced to that kind of life. I learned to save my money, and I did that. I had a friend that made it a thousand dollars on his first night. Mister Sheik knows him very well. He spent every dime he made and he can't write a check for twenty dollars today. They kind of did me a favor by testing me like that, and myself when I got to Florida, if somebody wanted to get into the wrestling business, they went through me or Harley Race or Jack Briscoe, and Harley Race would hurt him. I didn't have the heart to hurt people. I'd work out with him. I trained with him for hours and hours, and I would do it with him. I wouldn't yell at them and screen him. I made them do whatever I did, and then when we got done it, say come back tomorrow at six o'clock in the morning. We're gonna go do it over. And there was only two guys that made it, Paul Arndorf and Brian Blair. Those are the only two names that I can remember that came back the next day. They wanted to find out how tough you were. You had to be tougher than the fames. You couldn't if you were a wrestler and a fan beat you. That would be disgrace to the business. And they were very intense about that. Somebody that was tough enough to be able to handle people. And it's a road, but it's part of an education, the things they do to you, because hard work pays off, it really does. I learned that when I was a junior in high school. It's not a picnic get into the business, and it's not a very big promise that you're ever gonna have any success. You had to give a promoter two weeks notice and that's all he had to give you, and you were gone. But I my success came because of the six principles that I was living up to. I was in a car with three wrestlers.
Speaker 2: One night, three of them.
Speaker 5: We were driving around Atlanta, three of the top wrestlers, and you needed the top wrestlers to get a head back then, because they were the ones that had the contact with the promoters. When I was riding in the car, they started smoking marijuana. I rolled my window down, the driver rolled it back up. A few minutes later, I tried rolling it down again and the window was locked. A few minutes later, I asked him to stop the car. I didn't give a care whether to do in marijuana or not. I didn't care at all. I didn't care if they made a bad mistake in their life. But I didn't want to be there. I didn't want to be there because of a lesson I learned when I was in eighth grade about peer pressure, and I wasn't going to cut circumb to it again in my life. They wouldn't stop the car, and I thought about putting the driver in the cross space chicken wing, But ladies and gentlemen, I thought maybe that wouldn't be a good idea either. I went to a nightclub and I walked home, walked home, got home and my wife was a static. She was expecting me to be home about one o'clock at night. I got home at eight thirty. I didn't know where it was when I started walking and I explained to what happened. She was very happy and very proud, and it was a great moment, but it could have been a negative moment for me because I needed them as my friends. Part of a long story, but years later that was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life.
Speaker 6: Thank you for that story, Iron Cheek.
Speaker 1: I'd like to ask you a similar question in terms of your acclamation to professional wrestling. It was a little different than than what you had been used to in the amateur and Olympic ranks. Talk about who helped you in those early months and years acclimate too, the changes in your career going from amateur to professional.
Speaker 8: Like I said, I was Minnesota, Minneapolis anytime, anytime, my team come first, plus Master Allan Rice and the team, we go to the NWA and pemother was over there.
Speaker 2: Mister Burgania.
Speaker 8: Mister Gania was a promoter and he was himself one of a great college wrestler.
Speaker 10: All American and one of the top in the America.
Speaker 8: And after the Olympic in nineteen seventy two moon in Germany, I tell my coach, mister Allen Rice, I'll lecture some day to go.
Speaker 10: See mister Wogania and I want to be a professhmen, So.
Speaker 2: Master Allan Rice take me in the office.
Speaker 8: And then after gold medal nineteen seventy one, and uh, mister God bless him, he was a good promother.
Speaker 2: And then he gave me the job to drive the ring truck and then put on the ring, pack up the ring referee.
Speaker 8: All over from Minneapolis to the Winnipeg and from Minnieapris, all over to Rochester and all over to the Chicago Court in the Midwest.
Speaker 2: So that was the toughest job I had.
Speaker 8: But I loved wrestling so much and I didn't complete and even I cannot read and write too good.
Speaker 2: But I was fully wrestling.
Speaker 8: And I'm in Minnesota and a promoter is mister Borgania. God releaged to me possibly and then be turning over there. Mister Bob Buckram also sometimes come over there, healthy young generation and started Minnesota and to the later on I traveled the coast to coast and all over the country for wrestling started in.
Speaker 2: The professional for me was not easy.
Speaker 8: I have to trace to drive their ring truck, put on the ring, and pick up the ring referee and drive all over from Chicago to Minneapolis, or from Warapeg Canada to Minnieapolis, from all over the mon Iowa.
Speaker 2: To Minneapolis, so anyway Midwest. I was so father wrestling from a start, and I said, I cannot cover it. I cannot give up the only thing I can do in this earth to be a wrestling and be a champion someday like.
Speaker 8: Back then, like some greatest we had in the Minnesota bread Dragens and myself and some and lot of excellent wrestler in Minnesota, and and then I met it to the Charlotte coast to coast or all over the country over the board.
Speaker 2: No I'm here the moan, I'm here.
Speaker 8: Watloiva the greatest free star wrestler one hundred and forty nine pound.
Speaker 2: Then gave it.
Speaker 14: To mister go on with what you were talking about. Can you tell us about the the other athletes that you broke into professional wrestling with with Virgania's camp. I know that you also even at that point where it was helping train some of the people in that class.
Speaker 2: Excellent question.
Speaker 8: And that time in the camp it was mister Campetero the strongest with lefter in the board and Olympic which is waltzed together in the morning Olympic game. Mister Campetero and Greg Gania and Jim Burunzeller another football player, passive Adrejim Young and Bob Bruger.
Speaker 2: Bob Broger and so via started in the that camp.
Speaker 8: And mesid Rick Flair and nineteen seventy three you started in there.
Speaker 6: He did well.
Speaker 5: Great Flair Oh.
Speaker 6: Out to be an ALTI.
Speaker 8: Excellent, it did great and a great former Griff talking and but he has started.
Speaker 2: That was a good luck Missabo back then and myself in Minnesota.
Speaker 14: Yeah, first, mister Backland, we interviewed you as part of a Pro Wrestling Torch podcast about your book, and I just want to say I really enjoyed and learned a lot from your book. I recommended all wrestling fans. You did a tremendous job.
Speaker 6: I just say, there's no one else.
Speaker 1: We did interviews with three weeks in a row, and we interviewed about three weeks in a row and he was great every.
Speaker 14: Time, every time. So and even the stories you're telling now there's more. You have more details, more depth in the book.
Speaker 5: So when you read the book, you know me better than my brother.
Speaker 14: Absolutely absolutely talk about your time with the Grant with Eddie Graham in Florida and how you knew that you were on your way to bigger and better things from the professional wrestling boss.
Speaker 5: Well Don Florida with Eddie Graham. He was the promoter of Florida Championship Wrestling and they had a really a great organization going there. Everybody was able to get out of the trunk of their car and.
Speaker 6: Live a better life.
Speaker 5: But he was real close to Vince McMahon. He was almost like a brother to him. He did a lot of business with him against he had they were He was a take team champion up there for a long long time, and he was one of the ones that were very instrumental in letting Vince know that I might be the guy. Vince McMahon sor was calling these promoters up and asking who would be the best All American boy.
Speaker 11: And.
Speaker 5: To every promoter that they he talked to the on they only mentioned one name. And when I got in the business, I wanted to outwork everybody. When I got in the business, I figured I was going to do a few things. I started going to hospitals to visit kids in the in the seventies and seventy four seventy five, I thought, you know, I'm going to do this, because that's called going the extra mile. And I started stopping at high schools to help out the amateur wrestling teams that were at the schools in the towns that we went to in Texas at the time. And I continued to do that, and I think it trickled back to the promoters in each town that I was doing it in, and I think it was worth it in the long run because the promoters knew me well enough to say to Vince McMahon, this is the guy inside the ring, and this is the guy outside of the ring. And that's how I actually got my opportunity was because of the promoters mentioned in my name.
Speaker 1: Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite Weightkelor podcasts and pw torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search pw Torch and subscribe to a VIP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial, by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Waykeller post shows, the Weightkeller Podcast, Flagship, our flashbacks, and also the pw Torch Daily Cast lineup again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience, but with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Wadkeller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup, go to Patreon and search pw Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial.
Speaker 14: To follow up on that and moving to the WWF and working for a physic Man Senior, A big theme in your book is the close relationship you had, close business relationship, a personal relationship you.
Speaker 3: Have with with.
Speaker 14: Jay McMahon and like for you to talk about that relationship.
Speaker 5: Because he Vince Senior became a dad to me about six months before I got the championship, which is on February twentieth of nineteen seventy eight, he promised me that he was going to put the belt on me, and I was coming up from Florida and wrestling on TV, and he was trying to give me exposure to the people fans of the WWWS. Back then, I heard that some people were trying to talk him out of that and that wasn't a good decision. And then when Billy Superstar Graham won the belt from Bruno San Martino, Billy Superstar Graham wanted to trust trying to talk Vince out of putting the belt on me. Also because Billy Superstar Graham was having big crowds every night, and Vince Menci Senior on the day of the Garden, he got me aside and he said they wanted me to not do this, but I told him I gave Bob Backland my word and we're going to make him a winner. And I never forgot that. I think about Vince McMahon every day of my life because of his intense read his honor. It was a pleasure to work under that man, because he wouldn't tell you you were going to do something. He'd ask you for an opinion. When you work for a Vince new Man. There's no stress. You knew everything. And I wouldn't trade my time that I spent with Vincewoodman Senior with anything else in the world. Think about mister Sheek. You know Vince Man as well as I do. Not as long, but I think as well as I do.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, mister Backland, because like I said myself, I was the Midwest and also close to course after that myself mcwam called me ovent today number one company in the world.
Speaker 2: W W that time was a WWF. I have a lot of respect as long as I live for.
Speaker 8: Mister mcwan and his family because he was the number one the mother in the world to give me great and I'll make a good living later on. Maybe something I did bad, I pay for my due. And also I want to let the all young generation in the America know and if.
Speaker 2: We want to be Champain, you want to be the best, and look at the Orange sheet where he comes from, where he does.
Speaker 8: But sometimes bad thing push me back and take me down and costs me a lot of things. But still I have a lot of respect for mister mcqwin senior and his son and his family.
Speaker 2: Number one company in the world, and I'm happy to do that today. Come here with the.
Speaker 8: Greatest six years, Champlain, mister Bob Backland, to act resting with him, plager for me and to see him again one of the greatest men. Good hard work. That's because mister Rickman noticed that young man deserveth to be champion for six years. So I just want to say, I mean God to help me to pay for my due to our compted New York and mister b mister Buckland said that man was whatever he said.
Speaker 2: He meaned, and he was the greatest promoter for.
Speaker 5: Me to our resting for his company.
Speaker 8: And I'm happy to there from mister Bob Buckland to the Orange Sheet and all of the songs that Ja.
Speaker 2: Bronnie Hogan and guitar player. Come to there, Yeah, come.
Speaker 8: To there and double with w E number one company without mister Bob Buckland, without mister Orangstreet and without w.
Speaker 2: W E legend and an owner and the president mister Rickman Hog Hogan was real Jevronie Big Tom j.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, I'm happy, chorgerel Champlin Chorgen enjoyed my talking.
Speaker 2: Enjoy to come.
Speaker 8: Today the greatest wrestling country. What's in loyal Dan Gable Country?
Speaker 6: Iron cheek? You have changed my follow up question. I have a new follow up question.
Speaker 1: You did not get to practice the art of interviews or as they're called today, promos in amateur wrestling, probably all that often, or on Olympic TELEVI in the Olympics. But when you got to professional wrestling, there's cameras, there's selling tickets, there's getting the crowd engaged in the fight.
Speaker 6: Did that come naturally to you?
Speaker 1: Was that something that you had help with or that you felt comfortable with right out of the bat, because obviously with the crowd response here, you know how to owne a crowd.
Speaker 9: Well, to me, it was a natural because you know, I speak from mind and heart and I feel it.
Speaker 2: What I can say about that topics sport too, I grew up since fourteen years old to.
Speaker 8: Right now, and just for me was a natural because I mean, you know, I'm in a marcham, I'm a wrestler. University of Minnesota coach and assistant coach mister Allen Rights Macevonia.
Speaker 2: I mean, to me, it was really natural because the only game I had, only a sport I had all.
Speaker 8: My life and it was a three star girl Roman to a com w W holy fame, legend, whatever.
Speaker 9: And I mean to me, it was a natural because a lot of good people under me and they helped me and teach me.
Speaker 2: And if you want something, you make it.
Speaker 8: And I want to say to the new generation in w W, E number one company in the world, all of them, they're doing great and all of the battle stuff, and then I think a lot of sports is is still the best in the number one in the world.
Speaker 2: I first saw you.
Speaker 14: I'm a North Carolina boy and I first saw you working for the Crockets in Charlotte, and I remember it vividly because you were such a unique character. You were such a such a great attraction. Talk about changing from Kaser Vassiri in the a w A and then using more of your more of your heritage, and talk about the pressures of working there during the Iran hostage crisis, because I remember I remember as a fan thinking he's tremendous. But they know or said the word. You never said the word hostage. You never said Kamani. Then, I mean I was I was very impressed with that. But I and what a great wrestler in the ring when we were going to say tremendous stuff, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you.
Speaker 8: You know this because Laco said, that's a cheap hit, because the real chaplain going in the ring and do his best and shrotively gives the people good match, good show, whatever, And that to me it was a cheap I can't mention too much about politician or about Ayatollahomeny or about Iran that I wasn't not involved.
Speaker 2: With a palitician.
Speaker 10: But I was in the North Caroana.
Speaker 8: Mister for Master Jimmy Crockett, her mother and his son David and another one. So to me, it was a good in North Caroana, and I traveled over there lots, and I lock North.
Speaker 10: Carolina but not Krano.
Speaker 2: It was good for me, but not luck New York.
Speaker 10: New York was different than North Carolina. But I had a lot of good friend in.
Speaker 8: North Carolinas only Underson brother Jean under Zoon.
Speaker 10: I troubled with the gene and then uh, master Vic Prayer was over.
Speaker 2: There and then uh a lot of a lot of a lot of.
Speaker 8: The big name good wrestler in also in North Carolino and I and I enjoyed and but it was different than.
Speaker 2: For me than than New York.
Speaker 14: Okay, just to tell a story, I went to see you wrestle Jim Brunzell Christians Hotel here last year at the at the w r L Television Studios for from for the for the TV and I went with some skeptical people, and by the time you and Jim Brunzell finished, they weren't skeptical anymore. They were very impressed, and they're you know, they were.
Speaker 2: New to it, and they're just like, Wow, I get it.
Speaker 5: And I still that match stays me to this day.
Speaker 2: Change served.
Speaker 8: Jim Bronzilla was a young All American from Minnesota come to the North Carolina.
Speaker 2: We had a great match, and I was also mid Autlantic chaplain.
Speaker 8: And then Jim burn Zella accident former good wrestler from Minnesota, and and we had a good lot of good matches in the Minnesota with Jim Braunzilla and another one running.
Speaker 7: Arven And then which is the red Flair was there?
Speaker 8: I mean North Carolina was a top three territory in America and New York, Minnesota and North Carolina I was we go and the promoter was a mister Georgia Scott.
Speaker 2: And then we traveled from uh Charlotte, come to the Georgia make our television tape over there, and was a good or for me.
Speaker 8: And and also I had a lot of memory in the North Carolano on good for me, but but different than New York.
Speaker 1: Yes, mister backlind you talked about vincc mann senior and being very close to him. I think a lot of people would be interested because vincucmann Junior, Vincent K. McMahon still in control of the wrestling industry for the most part today. When you first were around vincemcmann junior, Vince Senior's son, talk about your early impressions of him and maybe a funny story and observation and just your your your thoughts being around him and imagining that someday he would take over for his dad. Did you have confidence that he would have the type of success that he has.
Speaker 5: Had, well, Vince. I always thought Vince and Vince Junior were together on everything. I thought they were talking behind the scenes before Vince Senior came to me with something, maybe ending of a match or something, or whether I was going to wrestle with a mister chic. I thought they were discussing it with each other, and I thought they were making decisions on how they thought.
Speaker 6: But I found out but.
Speaker 5: That wasn't true at all. Vince and Vince Junior were one hundred and eighty degree different, one hundred and eighty degree different.
Speaker 2: If you were going to.
Speaker 5: Make a switch to them, it would.
Speaker 6: Be one hundred and eighty degrees.
Speaker 5: And at the time, it was hard to make decisions because it was like fire in the air in the wrestling business in nineteen eighty four. It was rocking, and there was war, and there was promises made that weren't kept, and Vince Senior never hid from the guys. When this got stirred up, it was hard to get to Vince Junior. It was hard to find him.
Speaker 16: And I.
Speaker 5: Didn't have a liking for Vince Junior for a long time, but I understand now about the hardships he had, and I'm not very bitter or anything like that. I think he's the hardest working man in the entertainment business. He's out there every night at Monday night, rod SmackDown with his headphones on, telling the referees, why did you miss that? Or the wrestler you should have had a better facial question he's very into detail and I don't and I didn't have any doubts that Vince McMahon r. Wasn't going to attain his goals. I didn't doubt that at all because he had such a strong found day. The foundation of the WWWF back then was built on guys like Bruno San Martino, Pedro Morales, guys like Don Morocco, Jimmy Snooker, the Iron Sheet, the Iron Chek played a very important role in vinced Junior's success. And I know the Iron Cheek maybe had some problems with that, but he made the right decisions and I know he checked on those decisions and thought about him for a long time. I'm saying you did the right thing, Iron Sheet, Thank you much.
Speaker 8: The Rockland, I have a lot of struck for you, to least you know where our country dot com, what I did in America and a special WWE.
Speaker 2: Number one company.
Speaker 8: What I want to say a sid I'm happy to v with you today in the Botcher Louai Wa then gave a country and I'm very happy.
Speaker 2: To see you again.
Speaker 8: And one of the biggest stay for me and a special my young agents and Meghan and his fathers are here and my family Here's got a lot of good friends in the Boer Loop. I'm very happy to be today to see you again since the Olympic nineteen seventy two Moonic Germany and now I'm in the batter lou Wah after forty years.
Speaker 2: God bless w W and then gave it.
Speaker 6: Admit it.
Speaker 1: You love Nick bar Batty when he co hosts with me on the Wade Keller Post Shows. Well, now you can listen to him every week on The Nikkis Club, a v i P xclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 17: Hey, wrestling fans, It's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nickys Club, the place where the family of Nickys comes together for big laughs and Shark takes on WWE for WrestleMania rumors to surprise returns. I got you covered, the Nicky's Club, where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatti wants to be part of your pro wrestling life every week, So why not let him go vip pw Torch dot Com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with Patreons, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You also stream directly from our ad free VIP website, the Nickys Club waiting for you every week at pw Torch VIP.
Speaker 14: Mister Backlin will take you back just a little bit from what you were talking about. You had a six year reign as WWA champion, You sold out Madison Square Guard, and you were very successful in the big markets in the Northeast.
Speaker 5: Talk about the opponents.
Speaker 14: That you were the most sussel with. I think of Don Rocco, who you talked about, my myth from Morocco, and what a contrast he was to you. The all American, the all American, the Ray Band, Sun Glasses, I think I have mine on and Greg Valentine, and but you had just the who's who of wrestling villains too to do business with.
Speaker 5: Talk about that.
Speaker 14: Talk about your reign, your very successful reign in WF champion.
Speaker 5: Well, Vince mcmanon Senior said he was going to bring the best in and ladies and gentlemen. I was trained by Harley Race, Dorry Funk, Terry Funk, Jack Brisco, and they showed me how to do it, and they were training me to be the n w A champion, which I didn't know way back when. And in the nw A you had to wrestle Dusty Rhodes in Florida, and you had to be because you're the champion. But you had to make him stronger. You had to make him better because he was going to stay in Florida and keep making money for that territory. And the next night you'd wrestle in Texas and you'd wrestle with some big heel and you had to beat the babyface, and you had to travel. And I was prepared to go and wrestle with people in the WWF that Vince McMahon wanted me to, and I was prepared to make them look good. I was prepared to let him share in the drawing power. Don Morocco, I beat him? How good was his career after I beat him? Don Morocco? Sergeant Slaughter, I beat.
Speaker 2: Him, I got carried out of the ring.
Speaker 5: I won the match, but he won the war. I was a constant underdog. How good did Sergeant Slaughter do after I beat him?
Speaker 11: Became a phenomenon?
Speaker 5: Working with the Iron Shape, Yes, sir, they had matches that were above all levels and Jimmy Suka. How good did he do? After I got carried out in the stretcher.
Speaker 14: He became the biggest box office draw in the world.
Speaker 5: In a cage match in Madison Square Garden where he jumped off the top of the cage. I loved the people that he sent to me, and I changed the business. The undercard started meaning something. And I'm not saying anything negative about Bruno San Martino, but he was a monster, strongest guy in the world probably, and he went out there and he beat people. He wasn't really thinking about their career, but that was his job, and he was the draw in the WWF back in his day. We were complete opposite. It was one hundred degree difference, and I think that's what Vince was trying to make happen. It was a little more control for him, and I think that was purposely done to change the way the business was out.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the when you found out that you would be instrumental in that transition with Bob Ackland to Hakog and how was that presented to you, and how did you feel about the news being delivered that that was on its way and how much did you know when that was happening.
Speaker 10: Well, I didn't know too much about it to the.
Speaker 2: One month, and I mean just I feel at that time was too for the.
Speaker 8: Orange sheet after many years to the traveling and paper is due and hard working.
Speaker 2: And all the time was ready to.
Speaker 8: Arg and be the w W Champlain and I've never forgotten back then did the great job for me and put me over and I want to say, without mister McBrien and we got master back then, I cannot be here today.
Speaker 15: And it was.
Speaker 10: Great, great feelings for me, like I said, I mean, I mean, like I said, I grew.
Speaker 8: Up with wrestling and it was everything was hard for me to Geral America but myself not speak English and not too many friends and be a bad guy and with the Atollo flag and and uh you know speak for c and but but I loved my sports so much I said, someday we're gonna be my tour to.
Speaker 2: Aby Champlain changed to god, I made it now even.
Speaker 8: I'm handicapped a lot of damage into my knee an killed bar because that.
Speaker 2: Was part of my job.
Speaker 8: But but I'm happy is still and to the mister McMahan and teactured me and I'm just to meet it to be the Hall of Fame or champ whin. I cannot forget about my sport. I know I have up and down, a lot of damage sometimes in my body, and a lot of bad thing on the roads sometimes.
Speaker 10: But still I'm a good example for the.
Speaker 8: Young generation in America and all over the world. If you want to be champlain, if you want to be the best, you don't mix it. You have to ready go practice and paychich to your sport, and then you have to love it to be the best. But sometimes sometimes bad friend, and I don't want to put the hit to the bad friend, and a harder about my job a sport, I added something bad thing, and I pay for my dude costicity lose a million million dollars, but love still changes to God.
Speaker 2: I'm here.
Speaker 1: I want to ask both of you this question, and either of you can jump in first. I want to know what era of your career you had the most fun with what you talk about. You have to have a passion for what you do to be successful, and obviously your professionals you're doing it for the money, You're doing it because the promoter puts a lot of faith in you.
Speaker 6: But you have to have fun.
Speaker 1: What part of the business for you, what era of it and what aspect of it did you love the most that kept it, kept it rolling and kept your enthusiasm going.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, well, get to have.
Speaker 8: Every day and the head the gym were parts running and stay good shaped barbone and then love my business and pay attention to the old time in La Bruno Sammartinos and some another and.
Speaker 2: Greatest wrestler in the w W and w O or all over the country.
Speaker 8: And uh it was to me was different because I'm the first Middle Easter Iranian come to the greatest professional wrestling country.
Speaker 2: And it was very hard, very rough and not.
Speaker 8: You know, I mean travel every day and airport to the airport, and sometimes I had a cup of.
Speaker 10: Cold beer make me relaxed on some another thing. And you know, I mean I cannot say I didn't have it, but I had it.
Speaker 2: It's good to have it. But also moderation is number one.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about the art of a wrestling match, and this art isn't there anymore.
Speaker 18: You start out here and you want to end up here, and you build that slowly throughout the match. You're trying to draw the people in the crowd into it slowly as you go through these certain moves in motion, and you listen to the crowd and they tell you what what direction you're going to go by the way they react, and you build it. You build it, and you build it, and you want to blow the roofus at the end, not in the middle. There's a lot of matches.
Speaker 5: The middle is bigger than the end.
Speaker 15: Back in the day, the peak always had.
Speaker 5: To be at the end. You go home at the end. You want to get those people involved in liking it. I had people that I had me and the the the cold call the short arm scissor, and I try to pick him up once and I couldn't do it. The next time I tried to pick them up, people were more involved and they cheered louder. And then the next time, on the third time, I'd try to do it again and they the crowd would even start louder. Because you thought you were helping me get out of the hold. Well you were. You were making me stronger by they are adrenaline in my body. I picked up Paul Cogan with one arm. I could have never did that in practice. I gave the toomic knee drop to crush your Blackwell three four hundred and fifty pounds because of you, and because of you being involved the match. My whole life in the wrestling business was like a wrestling match.
Speaker 2: It started at the.
Speaker 5: Bottom, and it built, and it built and it built, and you got behind me stronger and stronger on a day to day base.
Speaker 15: When I walked into the ring, there's nothing that Vince McMahon asked me to do things.
Speaker 2: I never questioned it. There was no option like that. I had to do it.
Speaker 15: In the dressing him one time he said, called Ernie Ladd six ten, three.
Speaker 5: Hundred and fifty pounds, He's gonna do the Tomic knee drop to you. Ernie Ladd said after the match, I wouldn't have believed it unless I was there when Vincent Man said that, I couldn't question it.
Speaker 2: I had to do it.
Speaker 5: It was like a wrestling match my career. I loved every minute of it, even though it wasn't fun. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: I loved the climbing the ladder.
Speaker 5: I loved the excitement, and I love the story told. And I was trying to be a good role model, and I'm still trying to be a good role model. I go out there and I want to inspire every person in the building of all ages, because it's never too late to make your life better. Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I gotta get to the gym. I gotta work out right now. Thank you, good night, and we'll see you later.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Good good, Thank you, do you much your back, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 16: You got that.
Speaker 19: Okay, that's right, Hold up, thank you quick.
Speaker 2: You're doing right up here.
Speaker 19: Okay, oh, thank you.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 1: I don't know Bob knows a chic, but we we have three more hours to fill of podcast TODs.
Speaker 6: So no, no, I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: My STERI back then, my ster back then, steal you have it.
Speaker 5: You don't have No, he's not je Ronnie.
Speaker 8: He's a very good man.
Speaker 10: I have a lot of him, you know, mister Bob Bucke.
Speaker 20: Yeah, thank you, yeah, yeah, thank you, mister Blank Josolen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: She for your stories and your insights and sharing your time with the audience today. Thank you everybody for joining us here at the museum. It's it's great show and support, and we thank you for coming here from Iowa or across the country. And showing support for UH, something that I have been touting since last year when I made my first appearance here.
Speaker 6: This museum is special.
Speaker 1: It is run by good people and I think they are paying a tremendous tribute in some very classy ways that deserve the attention and the attendance that we're giving it. And to have Bob and Cheek here and to be able to share stories and insights with them is a big part of that. And you guys being here is why it can happen. So thank you for that too.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, well, thanks for joining me here. This is WAYD Keller back after listening in on the podcast recorded last month. I appreciate all of you for joining me today here at PW Torch. iPhone users, if you're listening to us on the native podcast app on your iPhone, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our free shows by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts. You'll see a charcoal grade logo that says PW Torch VIP on it. Click on that. There's some free samples of VIP shows and you can unlock the entire VIP lineup, which includes VIP exclusives plus commercial free versions of the free shows by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts and clicking on the PW torch VA logo and then activate your three day free trial and after that you can become a VIP member using your Apple account.
Speaker 6: It's that easy.
Speaker 1: Enjoy a streamline listening experience to our free shows and unlock all the VIP exclusives, including our post pay per view roundtables, the Wade Keller news bulletins, Everything with Rich and Wade, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, and a variety of other VIP exclusives. Just search PW Torch in your Apple podcast app.
Speaker 21: Wake Up, Hey, Wake Up. You're not from Portland and didn't grow up in the sixties seventies radies. You have no idea what the hell I just did? The hell did I just say? I'll tell you what I said, as you probably heard a couple of week earlier. This week, about a week ago or so, that the legend very pitch man for Portland Wrestling, one of the great sponsors of Portland Wrestling, Tom Peterson, passed away. It was very sad, you know. He he had been he had been sick for for quite some time. So that's that's understandable. But you know, and he was eighty six years old. That's that's another thing. But Tom was a legend, you know. And I don't know where wherever you grew up. And this is the thing, if you're too young to remember this, there were you know, there was a time when how do you how do you put this? There was a time when you had these crazy, these crazy local commercials with these crazy pitch man I guess carvel Cakes in in New York would qualify.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 21: You know, we talked about I think on the first episode we talked about Bob Luce and his wrestling, and we talked about Moose Cholac and UH and the commercials he did for his place. Also we've talked about Mad Dog Vashan when he did commercials in the Minneapolis area for god what beer was it. I don't even remember it off the top of my head. But Tom Peterson was in that vein and you know, and in the world we live in, and and don't get me wrong, I you know, the world we live in is a decent place. When we've got things are much slicker, things are faster, things communicate better. But one of the things we are missing are those crazy local characters like that. It's just it's just not the same. There was There was cal Worthington in California, the car dealer who would eat a bug to make you a deal, or stand on his head to make you a deal, and then he got kicked out of California for our ethical business practices. But by god, those commercials were funny, and that's that's really what matters, isn't it. So we had Tom Peterson in Portland all that stuff. In Seattle, there was Dick Balch. There were the the Rainier Beers, the stampeding herd of Rainier Beers, these giant bottles of beer that people put over their heads and they would run around. They were like like a stampeding herd of deer or bison or something, but they were these large beer bottles. So there was all kinds of crazy stuff. And Tom Peterson fit that mold. And I don't know where you grew up or if you even know what the hell I'm talking about, but that's why, you know Tom Peterson was such a big big deal.
Speaker 10: Was because.
Speaker 21: He uh, you know, he was just he was the guy in Portland. I mean, he was very amus in Portland. He you know, he's in a bunch of movies because of his affiliation with with Portland. And you know, he was he was eighty six years old, so I mean he was born in nineteen thirty and so obviously he had very different sensibilities and different things. He had that he had this flat top marine haircut, and that was part of his his persona. I mean, this thing was you know, you could you could take a level and put it on top of his head and I'm sure that bubble would not move on Tom Peterson's hair, that flat top marine haircut. But also part of his appeal was his crazy, his crazy, nutty wacky commercials. And that's what the fun of his of his whole deal was, is that he was Tom Peterson and that he uh, he was just fun.
Speaker 12: He was just.
Speaker 21: He was just fun. Wake up, wake up. And I mean everybody loved Everybody loved Tom Peterson. Everybody did. There wasn't there's not anybody alive who did not love Tom Peterson. And he'd been sick for quite some time. He's, uh, he'd suffered from Parkinson's and his wife Gloria take care of him, and you know, he'd been in this home for for quite a while.
Speaker 12: And uh.
Speaker 21: And and and of course you you know you've probably heard regardless of whether or not you you have listened to uh you know, you know Portland Wrestling or not.
Speaker 8: You know, you know that.
Speaker 21: But one of the sponsors went bankrupt and that sponsor, that sponsor was Tom Peterson. And he didn't go out of business, he just went bankrupt. He bought stereo superstores in the early nineties and that just kind of took care of a lot of his capital and so he was still in business up until like two thousand and nine, I think. But it was just the timing of you know, the problems with the Oregon Boxing Wrestling Commission, you know, the territories dying out anyway, don owen getting older, and then you know, Tom Peterson lost a lot of money. And also the TV station KPTV Channel twelve. You know, like a lot of TV stations discovered that it was that it was easier.
Speaker 2: To just have.
Speaker 21: Just have you know, recorded programming and not have to do live because they would go out to the Portland Ports Arena every Saturday night and set up these cameras and these I was there's got to be a picture somewhere online of these cameras. These cameras were like like refrigerators on their side, like refrigerators on a dolly. These cameras were ridiculously huge and ridiculously out of date. I mean, and this is another thing about wrestling is is in the uh in the the sixties, they're still making the move to color TV. And you may see like some older older shows that say, you know, the World of Disney in color, or someone make the phrase live and in color, Well that was because you know, they're much like the transition to HD, where everyone was talking about HD a few years ago and being an HD was a big deal that in that era, being in color was a big deal. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. As a Christopher crosslong, wasn't it. But we're not caught in the world between New York City the Moon in New York City, but we are talking about you know, wrestling was kind of behind the times, and it took a while for Portland Wrestling to get into color. And that probably explains because the handles ridiculously huge TV cameras for Portland Wrestling, so anyway, Tom Peterson passed away. He was a legend as far as advertising goes in Portland, and you know, he's you know, you can't have a conversation in Portland and talk about Portland wrestling without talking about Tom Peterson. And you can't talk about Tom Peterson without talking about Portland wrestling. It's just they're just they just correspond. Later on, they did this great thing and I tried to text him. He hasn't gotten back to me. I don't if he got a new phone or he doesn't like me anymore.
Speaker 11: What.
Speaker 21: But I tried to get the grappler on because there was a probably like nineteen eighty eight, eighty nine, maybe maybe ninety, I don't know. Towards the end, Tom Peterson would have those cardboard stand ups of him, and he brought one into the studio, and the grappler was kind of a promo about who knows, you know, Billy Jack Haynes or whoever. He was talking about, Steve Doll whatever, just out of nowhere. Towards the end of the interview, he goes and I'm sick of these Tom Peters. I'm sick of Tom Peterson, and he rips the who roofs the head off of the Tom Peterson cardboard cutout. It was hilarious, but you know, and Tom was like, I gotta get revenge on the grappler somehow. I'm not strong, I can't fight him, but I'm gonna get revenge somehow on the grappler. And I don't know that he ever did, but it was still really funny. Tom Peters said he used to stack up TVs in the Crow's Nest or it did. The shows they would stack up TVs sort of looked like a game show, looked like twenty thousand dollars pyramid or something with all of the TVs and he would stack up in the uh in the Crow's Nest. But yeah, it's a time gone by. And I hope wherever you live that you had had somebody, some crazy, wacky zany guy who does commercials, and you know, there's it's some people still do them, but I don't know what it is that they don't seem to fit in this era. They don't seem to be as effective as they used to be. And I don't maybe it's just because it's a different era, different generation, different sensibilities, different senses of humor. But there's like this one guy who has like a mattress store and he's got it's like matt Barn or Mattress Ranch or something, and it's it's got like all of these cutout animals all over it, and it's, well, it's fugly. I'm not gonna lie, it's it's hideous. And he's got a wacky tie and he dances in his commercials and I find it annoying. I don't find it endearing anymore. And I don't know if it's just that I've gotten older or production is slicker now, but it's just I don't know, it's just different. Speaking of different, Oh, by the way, we do have magnum Ta. He's gonna come up here in a little bit on the show, and I'm very excited about that. He's gonna be at fan Fest in Charlotte, and I'm coming to fan Fest and Hell's coming with me. Sorry, some friends on Facebook we're talking about Tombstone. But anyway, fan Fest this Wednesday, I'm filling in for Pat McNeil. Pat's gonna go on a much deserved, much earned vacation and I'm in between vacers, so I'm gonna go to fan Fest and we're going to do the live cast on Wednesday. I think it was five thirty. I think it's five thirty Eastern, two thirty Pacific. I think that's when Pat does his. Anyway, we are gonna do it live from the from the hotel there, the Hilton or whatever it is there, and we're gonna do it live there and we're hopeful to get My goal is that there's going to be a whole bunch of wrestlers and stuff setting up that night for fan Fest, and they're gonna come by and we're gonna go, hey, so and so come here, and they're gonna talk story and tell some tall tales and they're gonna take off and set up their booth and get ready to sell their gimmicks. Then another guy's gonna come in and they're gonna talk, and maybe a woman, superstar wrestler, whomever will come in. I just picture this, this whole thing where just there's a whole bunch of walk ons. I want it to be like the old Johnny Carson show where there's just walk on after walk on after walk on. That's that's what I want. I make no promises because it's going to depend on who the hell's there, and I don't know. I can't control who's going to be there, but we're gonna try so Wednesday myself and then Britt Whitmeyer from The Brad and Britt Show is going to be co hosting and he's going to be there too, So we are going to be hopefully doing a fun, live, active, crazy show and maybe we'll talk about SmackDown if anyone cares. Still good, God, what a terrible show, but we don't talk about that here. Oh and by the way, this is funny. So I was talking with Greg Price, the guy who promotes the show and everything, and I was like, so, is anybody going to be there on Wednesday? Setting up ahead of time? And he goes, yeah, let me see if I can get Jim Cornette to come over and talk to you.
Speaker 12: Oh.
Speaker 21: I had a good laugh over that.
Speaker 12: I laughed and laughed.
Speaker 8: Laugh.
Speaker 21: Hang on a second, I'm still laughing, man, Is that funny? Let me see? Because Jim Cornett hates Wade Killer and Bruce Mitchell and Mark Madden too. I think, even though Madden's not with the Torch anymore of it, Jim and Jim Cornette, I don't know if you know this or not, but and I may be talking out of school here, I don't know, but Jim Cornett is known to harbor a grudge from time to time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so.
Speaker 21: I gently explained to Greg that, no, I don't think that's going to be happening. Don't think Jim Cornett's going to be on the show, even though I've never met the man, never had the pleasure harbor no ill will against him. Pretty sure Jim Cornett is not going to be on the show.
Speaker 22: Are you a fan of AW looking to sit back, relax and listen to some like minded podcasters who share your passion?
Speaker 16: Do you want to be topped off the ledge after a segment that has you wondering what the heck are they thinking?
Speaker 22: Do you want to join a discussion on what AW is doing right and what they could do to improve? Then join me Joel and me Greg for.
Speaker 16: The All Elee Conversation Club every Friday on the pw torch Live Cast. Fee search pw torch in your podcast app and subscribe to pw torch Daily Cast or stream our shows directly from pw torch dot com. Find full details on the pw torch Daily Cast lineup at PW Torchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 21: Enny moving on, I still think that hilario. Yeah, Jim, Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 2: Hey yea, Jim, We've got a podcast we need you to do.
Speaker 21: Oh yeah, no problem, Sure, what is it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 12: What is it?
Speaker 11: The Torch.
Speaker 12: Then he'd just go off f bombs boom boom boom, promo boom boom, probably mixed Vince Russo in there.
Speaker 21: Hey, yeah, that would be That would be a beauty. So anyway, Wet Whitby and myself live from fan Fest and hopefully we'll get some people setting up speaking of fan fast. Magnum Ta is gonna be coming up in a few minutes talk to us about his career. And by the way, he started in Portland, Oregon. And we'll tell you why a guy from Virginia started in Portland, Oregon. And I'll give you a hint two words, buzz Sawyer so and if you know buzz Sawyer's reputation, I think you've probably put a couple of things together. But anyway, we'll talk to Magnum coming up here a little bit. There's another thing we'll talk about, speaking of old time studio wrastling. You know, you probably if you're younger, you know about Black Saturday when Vince McMahon got control of the Georgia office, when the Brisco sold him their stock. And there was that Black Saturday when Vince was the host of Georgia Championship Wrestling or World Championship Wrestling or whatever they called it. And it was a taped show and it was all taped matches which we'd already seen before on the USA Network a number of times. And that went on for quite a while. But what is not talked about a lot? And I've looked for this on YouTube and it's now up on YouTube, and this is exciting if you haven't seen this. And I just tweeted it out last night because I couldn't sleep because it was I have air conditioning, but it was too damn hot in my house. Hey, what that happens? Anyway, I slept like craplers. So I'm a little cantankerous this morning. You've been warned anyway. So I was serving YouTube, which I want to do, and they have like they did. I think they did only like two or three weeks two for sure, but right before WrestleMania because part of the agreement with that Ted Turner had with whomever had the contract for TBS Wrestling was you had to do a live show or you know, a show from the TBS studios. You know, you couldn't just tape and do those shows. And Vince McMahon and Ted Turner butted heads and butted heads and butted heads, and finally Vince relented and they did did the WWF did the show from the TBS studios right before WrestleMania. So we're reaching the crescendo of WrestleMania. It's a peak for wrestling. It's very exciting. And there's this live show in a studio format, which is crazy because the WWF always did arenas for the most part. I mean sure back in the Worldwide Wrestling Federation days, and you know, when Hulkogan first won the title, they did, you know, shoot an Allen Town where they had before, but not long after that they moved to arenas in larger venues. And so the WWF is always about this big spectacle, the big arenas and the banners and all that stuff. And there are two shows which are now up on YouTube, during the whole Black Saturday debacle where the WWF is in the Georgia Championship Wrestling, the TBS studios, there's the background that World Championship Wrestling had, and there's Guerrilla Monsoon and there's Freddie Miller and they bring in everybody and the crowd is going nuts and deservedly so because it's it's the WWF and it's in this tiny studio and it's it's fascinating. So I tweeted it out last night this morning, whatever it is, you can go to my Twitter at gim Valley and you can see it for yourself, or look up on YouTube wellu WF Georgia Championship Wrestling and there's about two hours worth of stuff. And I knew it existed because I watched it as a kid and it blew my mind as a kid, and is seeing it as an adult, it still blows my mind because there's a certain energy and excitement about it because it's right before the big WrestleMania, so the media frenzy. And then also to see you know, hul Cogan is in the studio cutting promos, and to see so many of these guys, it's like, oh my god, they were you know, there's Roddy Piper, he was in Georgia. Oh my god, there was Orange Orf he was in Georgia. Jimmy Snooker Georgia. All of these guys had been in that studio before under different auspices, but still and so it'll just it blew my mind. So you'll see the Junkyard Dog who made appearances in the TBS studios. You'll see I said, Snooker wrestles Junkyard Dog. Andre the Giant comes in.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 21: In the first hour, Gorilla Monsoon doesn't even know who Freddy Miller is. He just calls him his colleague. And then by the next week he knows who Freddy Miller is. But it's just it's mind blowing. It's like an episode of the Twilight Zone. To watch the WWF in the Georgia studio and the TBS studio with the World Championship Wrestling NWA background, the Crockett background doing the show, and like I said, the crowd is going nuts. I don't recall a Georgia crowd an NWA crowd being quite as loud. And probably the reason is is because you know, those are their guys and they can see their guys. But now you've got you know, these people are not the hometown people, and they're the people you see on MTV and all that stuff. By the way, if you think Piper was was never got crazy later on, Oh yeah, he's he's, he gives he gives a completely nonsensical rambling interview. It's it's crazy. So yeah, so you should look it up. It's WWF Georgia Championship Wrestling. Or look at my Twitter as I tweeted out a link yesterday, So go to at Jim Valley and you can you can look it up. So there you go. So, uh, we're here, we're live. You can tweet me at Jim Valley. You can email at PW Torchlive Cast at gmail dot com, or you can call in it. What is the number six four six seven one six four six seven two one nine eight two eight. It's Jim Valley. It's the PW Torch Live Cast and Magnetier is gonna be coming up in just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Wake up, hey, you wake up.
Speaker 11: It's our stuff, a pucking Lop.
Speaker 21: Sail where free is a very good crime, free mini brunch, free Tom Peterson haircut.
Speaker 4: Free gift with every purchase.
Speaker 21: That's our famous seventiece living room group brow only four ninety eight, but a free six by nine area runs.
Speaker 18: Join us this weekend, have a chip, take a sip, sit right down and have a clip.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: That's Tom Peterson and Glorious Too.
Speaker 21: That was after they restructured after bankruptcy. It went from Tom Peterson's to the new name of the company was Tom Peterson's and Glorious Too. And throughout the sixties, seventies and eighties. Gloria wasn't part of it up until the nineties, but that's when they restructured after the bankruptcy. And again Tom Peterson had this flat top. So the gimmick was is you could go get a free Tom Peterson haircut, and you know he gave it. What you know, he had the wake Up wake Up that was his gimmick and he would he would show or give away depending on the promotion, alarm clocks Tom Peterson alarm clocks that would talk and say wake up with his face on it. There were t shirts and wristwatches and all of this stuff. And I mean, he was such a great character and such a such a great community member, and you know, he lived a great life and before Portland was weird and Hipsterville. You know it was you know, in the Pacific Northwest. We were you know, we got by on the timber industry, on logging and natural resources. So you had, you know, all of these loggers and Tom Tom fit in with bull as far as you know, he had the the ironic thing going on for the hipsters now and then also you know, fit in in a more realistic way with with with the people who were who were her logging men and women, who are mountain men and women. But I mean that's you know, he had Grammar furniture, and he also had you know, if you lived in the Double Wide. So there you go. But Tom Peterson, a great supporter of professional wrestling, passed away at the age of eighty six, and everybody in the Portland area is gonna miss him. It's big news. It was big, big news. And like I said, so no matter where you lived, I'm sure you can relate as far as if you're old enough to remember some crazy local business that advertised and there's really like I said, I think that has kind of gone by the by the wayside, but who knows, maybe maybe it'll come back in some shape or form or another. But yeah, so So Tom Peterson a big deal when it came to Portland wrestling and a big supporter of Portland wrestling. I mean seriously, I mean how many how many people do you know that are associated with just you know one thing, you know, Tom Peterson. No one talks about any the other shows that he that he sponsored, just Portland Wrastling live for the Portland Sports Arena. So it's Jim Valley, It's Saturday Morning Wrestling coming up here, magnet who is going to talk about?
Speaker 4: Uh, the the n W a fan.
Speaker 21: Fast, the Charlotte FanFest every year, and he of course is a staple of the fan fast. You can go to NWA Legends dot com and take a look at that and see more inform me. Yeah, they do a Hall of Fame, but I don't think they can call it a Hall of fame, so they call it the Hall of Heroes. In one year, I think when I was there, they inducted Jim Cornett in the Midnight Express and they've they've inducted everybody, and now they're going to uh induct Dusty Rhodes and Magnum of course, who was a man who was a protege of Dusty Rhodes is going to induct Dusty and we'll talk to Magnum about his relationship with Dusty, and we'll talk to him about his career. Of course, Magnum, you know, one of the things fans love to play booking what if or you know, you know, fan booking. I'm trying to think of the word. I can't think of it, but one of it would have happened if and one of one of the big ones is always what if Magnum Ta hadn't been injured in that crash? And I want to talk to him about it, just to get his thoughts on where he thinks he would fit in, because not long after his crash, wrestling got really silly, you know, Crockett went out of business, and Jim Hurd and then you had, you know, for w CW, you had all this goofy crap, You had the ding dongs, and you had all of this stupid garb and I just wonder, I mean, the guy like Magnum Tier, where the hell would he fit into all the news because he was just a plane speaking, boots hit you with the belly to belly, straightforward, kick ass kind of guy. And it's just I wonder sometimes where he would fit in this goofy circus. The WCW became not terribly long after his accident because when Crockett's sold I don't know, but we can talk to him about that. We're gonna talk to him about a lot of things. But we're very excited to have on the show a guy whose career was relatively short. But I think it speaks to the quality of his work and the character of his persona and his person that he is well remembered and well thought of to this day joining us now, I'm joining me. Jim Valley here on the PW Torch Live cast is the one and only Magnum Tia Magnum. Thank you so much for joining us. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Well, it's pleasures. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 21: Hey man, So you've got the fan Fest. It's coming up this weekend. You're you're a staple of the fans Fest. What do you what do you enjoy about the about the fan Fest?
Speaker 4: Well, I enjoy the reunion, the reunion with so many of my counterparts that I don't have the opportunity to see uh without an event like this, and and then relive in memories with the fans and then bringing their kids and you know they told their kids all about you know, the history and uh things they grew up watching. And you know, now YouTube and the WWE network, you know, all have brought those things back full circle where uh you know, they made the things we did thirty years ago current in today's time.
Speaker 1: Before pushing play on the weight Teller, Pro Wrestling post shows, check out pw torch dot com and our TV review section and skim through a full rundown of the TV show if you didn't see it. That's your way to get an overview of what happened before you dive into our in depth analysis of the key happenings on the show. That's pw torch dot com. You're home for live TV coverage every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with my TV Reports, and also check out our NXT and Impact coverage on Tuesdays and Thursdays, our Collision reports on Saturday nights, and of course our live pay per view and PLEE coverage on weekends, all waiting for you at pw torch dot com.
Speaker 21: And you know, I mean all the fans, they love you, they remember you. One of the things I made it a couple of years ago to FanFest and you and I we talked briefly, and I'm totally sure you completely remember it. I'm kidding, But anyway, I grew up in Portland watching Don Owens Portland Wrestling and I remember you briefly here around what was it like nineteen eighty one?
Speaker 4: It was actually nineteen eighty and that was my very first match in wrestling, was working for Donna Owens there that Portland Bowl and out he had converted into a wrestling arena.
Speaker 21: You know, we talked to let's let's let's let's talk about that before we get into exactly the roundabout way you made it to Portland. But one of the things I talk about on the show is like, I, you know, I, you know, I used to talk with with Buddy Rose and Kurt Hennig and such and and they would always talk about the uniqueness of the what was dubbed the Portland Sports Arena. And you mentioned that it was an old bulling alley. What was your reaction the first time you saw that place?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I had so many things going through my head because again this was my first actual n ring appearance. YEA ever, and I had like little or no training, and my very first match was all over there television show. Russell was no Sawyers, So it was, uh the surroundings, uh kind of paled in comparison of just the anxiety of doing what I did for the very first time in my life.
Speaker 21: So go ahead and tell this story, So about how how how a Virginia guy ends up going to to Portland.
Speaker 4: Well, I met I met Bruna Sawyer when he was in the mid Atlantic. Uh, I was I was trying to, you know, figure my way into the wrestling business. And you know, back then it was so guarded, it was so protected. It was a really tough thing to do. And through just the backstage, uh backstage introductions that I had to people because of friends I knew in a law enforcement that had introduced me to some people, guys who worked security there. Buzz and I struck up a relationship and he was going to be the one to train me and get me into wrestling. But before all that was to be able to take place in the Carolina's uh, he went to work for Don Owens went out to Portland. So he had me go pick up his little brother Brett down in Tampa, Florida, and I brought him all the way back up to mid South, uh to to uh bill watch Territory. While I hung out with him, and guys like Jimmy Garvin and and uh oh gosh, Junkyard Dog and Jason Saint Roberts and all those guys met. You know, just a lot of people kind of watched watched the rest and watching what was going on all the time, waiting for Buzz to call me up and and you know, bring me, bring me up there. And I never got the call. So I got in my car, drove cross country. I drove all the way across California, then all the way up the coast of Portland and showed up on his doorstep and opened the door and had to a little sock and make a long story short. I had one workout in a ring prior to getting into business where it was me, it was Buz, this little brother Brett, and uh Princess Victoria, and we all worked out in the rink for about two hours.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 4: He had our surfle hit the ropes up to do a few basic things and uh then Russ got of history my first match with Buzz on TV. Uh he had un tony to me, told Don that I'd been working get him to south from Bill and nobody ever checked it out, obviously, And they put me right to work seven days a week, and I learned everything I did. Uh im prompt too the hard way in the ring.
Speaker 21: Now, had you given buzz Sawyer money prior to him leaving?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I had, But you know, in respect of those passed on and and things, uh kind of water under the bridge or really don't want to belavor it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: He sure he did some unscrupulous things to me, and I think the Undertaker as well. Uh, but you know it. Uh you know, why go gooky? You talking about that? When had it not been for that, Uh yeah, my story would be what it is today.
Speaker 21: Well, I just want to say that you're obviously a very determined You were a very determined young man at that point. I think a lot of people probably just would have written off the losses and and moved on. So I think that says something about your character and determination and desire to make it in your chosen field.
Speaker 4: Well, I was young, I was strong, uh that I didn't think that there was anything in the world I couldn't do.
Speaker 21: Uh.
Speaker 12: And you know.
Speaker 4: So the sky was the limit. Once somebody cracked the door and let the end, I wasn't going away.
Speaker 21: So do you do you have any memories of wrestling in Portland other than other than your first match or were you so focused on your craft that you sort of had blinders on?
Speaker 4: Well, the Savage was the booker, and uh, you know, like I said, it was just a real learning experience.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I was so green, and the people there didn't know how green I really was. But like less than a month of the business, they put me in there with Gene Kaninski who was a former world champion, and we were we were working in uh oh gosh, where were we at? Anyway, we were working somewhere in port up there in the Washington state, No Seattle where it was. I remember he did the spot and he picked me up and dropped me behind him, and he told me to push him in the roads to do a row up. Well I didn't know what a row up was. I mean, I didn't know all the lingo, all the terminology in the spots. He dropped me behind him because I didn't know what to do. I'm bullied him back, superlex him on his head and I remember he after the match. He got a big kick out of that because he was a bigger, rough, tough guy and he thought I was pretty salty to Uh, you know, I've done that to him. So, you know, all the guys were really helpful. They're really good natured. I mean they saw my desire, and uh, I got to put in a lot of rig time. I was only there for six months, but I was brought some seven days a week, and uh, you know, if you're gonna I had more rig time in the first my first six months of the business than these four kids breaking into the indies will in you know, probably six years.
Speaker 21: Talking with a magnum Ta who's going to be at the nw A fan fest this weekend in Charlotte. You can go to n w A Legends dot com. He's going to be interviewing, inducting his mentor, Dusty Rhodes. Will talk about that coming up here just a couple of minutes. But first let's let's go to the phones. Let's go to Brian from Phoenix. Brian, you got some questions VIP member, you got some questions for magnum t A.
Speaker 4: Good morning, m Good morning.
Speaker 23: Morn A Magnimum fan of yours. However, I grew up in Detroit, uh, and I didn't Detroit didn't the cable until really nineteen eighty, late summer for eight light for me eighty, so I didn't see your career real time unfortunately, you know, like DVD's two things, But that makes sense.
Speaker 21: Hey, Brian, you're bleaking up a little bit of my end.
Speaker 23: Okay, I'll try to move around.
Speaker 4: A little bit.
Speaker 23: And I'm looking right now, Okay, thank you. I'm looking at the Legends of Missouf Wrestling DVD set that I got from w w E, and I really enjoyed, uh your mattresson here. But the question I want to ask about, Magnum is about the the build up for your match with Mister Wrestling too. Can you talk a little bit about the segment where you were out at the farm and you and Jim Ross and mister Wrestling who were working out were actually as Jim wasn't working out, you and Mister Wrestling were working out and Jim they're filming and interviewing everything. He talked about filming that and building all that part up of the of that few clicks.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it was, uh, it was to be To be fair, I was really the only one working out two was like, that's what was kind of touching me. And they were having me do all these things that I was doing, take after take after take, and and it was, uh, it was it was really interesting, uh because the one thing I remember the whole thing was they got me what did they wanted to fill me running and running up to where they were at, uh, and then conclude with a little little interview or something afterwards. And if you don't think that's a hard thing to do to do, m keen wind sprints to to get you know, get up to a place where they want to do a take talking about being blown up. That was that was really an interesting thing. But it was it was a great program that we worked And uh, you know, my heat's off Jolly Walker because he he ends up turning heel and he's been a baby basit in entire career and you know when he finally got it, he really ended up being a good heel.
Speaker 21: And those those That's a great question, Brian, because in those vignettes, Magnum, you are a long ways away in the background and we watch you run the whole way. It's not like you're off camera and then suddenly come, you know, strutting up from off camera. You are a long ways back. Mary, it is. It did look tiring. I mean you looked legitimately tired. And I don't think I blame you.
Speaker 4: Uh you know, I was a really good shape. But the things that they were we were doing and doing multiple takes, uh yeah, I mean it was something that uh yeah, I wasn't mentally prepared for exactly what we were out there to do. But again, back then, if they said go do it, you know, I just said where and win and and you know, go get it done. And that's that's what we did.
Speaker 23: Anything else, Briand Yeah, the last question I have for you, macdum, I'm not sure how much you follow uh today's wrestling. I know you at least watched Testa Blanchers matches. But so the million Dollars kneelest that mister wrestling who is trying to teach you again? I love that name, million Dollar Dalist. Can you you think that's something that could be brought back to the current wrestling or is that just a little too eighties? Is early eighties wrestling?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, anything can be brought back. It be how it'd be depending on how people sold it. You know, if somebody, uh, if somebody did it and everybody was you know, selling like they'd been hit by a freight train, then yeah, you know, I mean the coal stole, the stone cold cutter and uh, you know the records and things that you know guys did, none of it would amounted to an LB's that the people didn't sell belly suit plants that I used. You know, there's there's so many people used for a high spot. They could all use it for a high spot. But if I do it and the people didn't get up and they got ten, then it made a difference. So you know, it's all about you know, perception and and how the guys around you put over what you're doing. You could, you know, I mean, you can make anything exciting. It's just been on how you're working.
Speaker 23: Great again, gentlemen on Magnama. Hope people have a real good weekend. Thanks a lot, Jeff for put me on and macnam was great talking to you, and have a real good day.
Speaker 21: Gelements, there's Brian v Ip you member from Phoenix dialing up at six four six eight. You know that's interesting you bring up the belly to belly because I guess Shane Douglass used it a few years ago, but it was like a standing belly to belly. I never understood why no one did the whipping the ropes and then the belly to belly like you did. That seemed like a like a move that you could do out of it seemed to have I guess, all of the criteria you want for an exciting finish. It can come out of nowhere, it can be decisive. Is that move particularly difficult when it's whipped off the ropes because it doesn't seem like a lot of people picked it up? Uh after your career?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean to me, it was a very natural thing uh to do.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I actually did it to somebody in the ring when I was a rooky and I was breaking in and I had a guy that was greener than I was and didn't really know what he was doing in the ring, and I got so frustrated with him. I couldn't you get him to do anything that I just grabbed him and ended up suit budging him like right out of his boots. And I realized that I had That's where my strength center was my lower back and my pulling ability and my wrestling. That ground just gave me, gave me the ability to do that move to anybody, whether they wanted to go, didn't want to go, didn't matter. I could do it. So I kind of put that in my mind, and you know, for the future, I used that for a finish because basically, you're finished. You've got to be an execute on anybody at any time, anywhere. And I knew that that was something I could do. Anybody, whether they were you know, two hundred pounds or three hundred and fifty pounds, I could still do it. So, you know, for me, it just came natural. I don't I don't know whether I remember one time Dustie and I when we were wrestling America, see we I think it was with the Multi Brothers or something. We threw them both in the ropes and we gave him a double Donny de Belly off the ropes and Dustie never done it before his life, and you know, it wasn't any big deal. He just you know, he did it. So you know, I don't think it's not hard. I think it's just a matter of you know, in God's minds, it's not, you know, exciting enough. They're trying to always come up with something you know they don't think somebody has seen before, or something with that next level of excitement. So maybe for that reason it's kind of god overlooked.
Speaker 24: Need an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts, will come join me Alan farrel Over in the Progress Paradise at penoge Torch VP as we mask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico. There's always a place for wrestling's past in the Paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian thunder Lighter and Our Eye Was There when shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed PW Torch VIP subscription information and a list of all the VIP benefits is available at pterbrew Torch vip info dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site. See you in the Paradise.
Speaker 21: Now speaking, I want to touch on the knee lift of Mister Wrestling number two. I think I just got done rereading Jim Duggan's book where he talks about the worst thing about was it the knee with mister Wrestling too? It was that slap on the back that's stung?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, because I was just sound effect, you know, he make it. He hit you at the back too with with the you know, big smack to make it sound like that Need was hitting he that hard in the chest. And that's where the you know, the panel was coming from. So yeah, absolutely, uh godn't remember.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously I took it to Need for everyone I worked with him as we turned heel, But you know, frankly, compared to some of the other things we did in the rank, that was kind of my.
Speaker 21: Huge So after after Portland, did you go to Florida? Is that where you went?
Speaker 4: I went from Portland to San Antonio for Jim Blanchard and I worked there for six months and still as a rookie.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 4: Ray Fernandez uh came in about the same time I did, and he and I trained together for for two three months. Uh in the gym, I was there and uh he he was, of course, you know, one of the young young uppers coming slight myself and uh and while I was there, Mike Graham came to saying, come to Russell something. The jug bols everyway handing chip or something, and him and I struck him a friendship just in this natural camaraderie, and he went on and told his dad about me. The next thing I knew, he called me up asked if I wanted to come to Florida. And so after my first year of the business, I made my way to Tampa and uh then I spent a year and a half in Florida.
Speaker 21: And is that where you met Dusty?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: When I first came there, Dorry Funk Junior was the booker, and so I think for about that first six months Dorry was booking and then uh, he he left and Dusty came in and he and I met, and within amount a week or two I got and spent some quality time together. Found out we had a lot of common interests and just talking a lot of things in life. Uh yeah, struck up a friendship, the loss of the lifetime.
Speaker 21: We're talking with Magnum t A and he's going to be inducting his mentor and friend, Dusty Rhodes into the nw A Legends Hall of Heroes this weekend at the Charlotte FanFest. You can go to n w A Legends dot com and get get some more information. Let's take another phone call from Magnum t A. Let's go to A seven seven three, seven seven three. You're on the live cast with Jim Vallely. Who's this and where you calling from?
Speaker 2: Bors from Chicago Orris?
Speaker 21: What do you got for Magnum Magnum?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 11: Ji?
Speaker 25: My first question because I think you're gonna hit on what if Magnum didn't have this accident and how how his impact was you know, being in the industry at any time would have changed. I think you're gonna cover that, right, Yeah, we can talk about Well I had the same thought, but since you go, I can go to something else and y'ah, you know, talk about that. My thing says he's inducting Dusty Rose.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 25: My first question is what do you think about Cody Roles having to lead the biggest company, wrestling company to actually, so to speak, be himself, actually be a wrestler.
Speaker 5: That's my first quo.
Speaker 4: You know, everything in the business is a journey.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: I think you know, Cody, you know, wants to find himself back into the you know, the Cody Rhoades character and be himself. And you know, there's a you know, there's a writing staff and a group there the w W. You know, he's creating so many things and so much stuff. But I don't know exactly. You know, I haven't talked with him about it. I thought with this Bob and Michelle, but yeah, I know he wanted to go experiment and do some other things that you know, I wouldn't rule out the fact that Cody might not be back one day. I think if he goes out and uh, you know, proves what he can do, uh, you know, working his Cody Rose and get big enough uh following and people out there supporting, uh supporting that that he could uh you know, bring that character back to the w W at some point in time. He's still a very young man. He got the whole world in front of him, but uh, you know, timing is everything, so they just weren't ready for that day right now. And uh I respect his decision to uh, you know, go do what he wants to do, go be his own man. And uh so, you know, I'm watching that situation closely because I mean, he's he's a special guy in my life. He's my he's my godson. And uh though we you know, we weren't close as he was growing up because you know, obviously life the things I've had dealt to me changed my path and being geographically at different places, you know, I very much have a you know, a tie to him because of his dad.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 25: The other second question is sure, uh hey, he nailed it for me.
Speaker 5: And my second question is the women's wrestling.
Speaker 25: What do you think about what do you think about Charlotte Charlotte the Sasha Banks is actually how they're coming into the business and and actually we're getting back to the women's professional wrestling and finally getting out the divas era and getting back into you know, and it's taken and it took him to It took us the time of a Charlotte rich player's daughter and a few others, which is surprising to you know, come up through n XT and and get us back to women's wrestling.
Speaker 4: Well, I applauded the movement because there's tremendous female athletes out there in the world that can represent women's rights like the way it deserves to be represented. And certainly, uh, you know, you know Ashley Charlotte Rick's daughter, Uh, she is a world class athlete in and of itself. She's paint her dues and on the roads, and you know she she worked at at NXT for so long that Dusty was a big part of coaching her, developing her her persona and her ability to speak all the mic. And she's got the uh, you know, she's gotten all the right stuff in the ring. Johnson Banks does too. Sasha Banks, you know, honestly, Uh is one of is just an absolutely incredible worker. And uh she doesn't have the size of the stature that it actually has, but she's got all the right stuff to be the champion. And uh, you got to mix it up. There's got you know, one person can't just dominate all the time. It's gotten to be knocking forth in a challenge and a picture painted that there's a contest going on with somebody trying to take the tunnel, because if you don't think there's a possibility of that happening at some point in time, you're gonna lose you some fans. So you know, they're both young in their careers, and I think we're gonna see incredible matches and I think Nashville could continue to grow as a competitor. I can imagine you know, Page getting back in there. Uh, you know how good a worker she is. I mean, there's this there's some real depth of that women's division and fact that it's really competitive because there's not as many opportunities and spots for women all the wister as there are the best.
Speaker 5: Excellent.
Speaker 25: I really enjoyed your answers. My last, my last, My last thing is the moves, which you guys are pretty much hit on it. How you know your belly belly was effective as it was and actually see I think Bailey, which is another popular woman wrestler, I think she was using the bell of the back for a finisher, which is awesome, you know to see. Uh, And that's the first thing I thought about was you, because I know you're the only person that I watched, you know, in my history to watch the wrestler that took that movement and not it wasn't a spot move, you know, for the next move, for the next move, but actually was a finisher.
Speaker 5: And to see her which is a woman's wrestler with.
Speaker 25: You know, like I said, we haven't we hadn't got that many women at the time, to see her executed too. The first flashback I had was you and I think that was awesome and I want My question was to that is, what do you think of how like you said, simple moves is not working anymore because they use you know, you had to take the DDT used to be a finisher, it's not now, and you think it's wrong that they don't turn into it takes ten moves ten finishers to take out somebody or this is where it had to evolve to or can we go back to, you know, where you had to actually use brass nuskles to cheat or something like that.
Speaker 5: You know, the simple form, the basics, that's what you know.
Speaker 4: Honestly, doctor, wiggle my nerves and you know, be twenty seven in the shape I was in, uh you know back in nineteen eighty six, and I had the opportunity today it would be it would be like stealing candy from a baby because they've done so much that somebody that came in today that did something that is completely was sold and put over like a you know, instead of the like you said, fifteen tennis booths that they kick out just to get a pot. But if somebody came out today that was you know, still did exciting things that had one you know, one thing in their arsenal that it was over game set point that you could get over like a million bucks. And you know, to me, it's wide open for a you know, for a character for somebody who's that serious. They can't you know, just you bring it all. Uh, you know, you could, you know, the Scott could be the limit for what you could accomplish.
Speaker 21: Thanks, Boris, I appreciate the calling it magnum that that you bring up an interesting point and one of the things I want to talk to you about because after your crash, I mean, you were still there so you know better than I, but wrestling sort of pivoted and with the with the Crockett sale and everything, and and people came in who you know and you worked with, who didn't seem to really know what you were what they were doing, wrestling got really silly as far as w c W, I guess in an effort to to to to get the kids like w w F did at the time. I mean, you know, we we saw a lot of a lot of a lot of stupid crap, which you what you lived through because you were you were backstage through through a lot of this. But where do you think that you as a wrestler and a performer, had it not been for the crash, where would have magnum t a the wrestler have fit in to all of that ridiculous crap? Would you have just gone to w w F, what how would you fit in with all of that, all of just the just the ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Well, I wouldn't have ever fit into the ridiculous as first, because you know that just wasn't me.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: The tact of the matter, the tact of the matter is, you know, you know, everybody knows, you know, they were pushing me like nobody had ever been pushed and the World Championship was was a foregone conclusion. But the fact of the matter was that I had no I had no desire to wrestle thirty years old. Uh, most people don't know that I had this huge passion for racing and I had the opportunity to drive many parses race car at a sharp motor speedway because of Rustling, I got to to, uh uh, you know, go out there and drive the US to back the car, and I really wanted to have a couple of year run with with the world title, and I wanted to be seingling off into racing, so you know that, you know, all the stings and all the things that work to come could have still come because I didn't really I didn't want to be one of those guys that couldn't couldn't find the graceful way out and didn't know when it was time to hang it up. I wanted to be remembered in my prom at the top of my game, being the best I could be. And you know, if the money had been just absolutely insane, you know, obviously that would have kept me in a little bit longer. But uh yeah, driving that race car around Charlotte Hunter Speedway at one hundred and ninety miles in Iron was the biggest rush I've ever had in my life. You know, that was before Jeff Gordon and all that kind of good stuff, and there was a big tie in with wrestling and racing, and that was somewhere that you know, I really wanted to go.
Speaker 21: Rick Flair said a pretty high bar as far as championship matches, and we saw a lot of people that that that took the title, that couldn't that couldn't maintain the fans interest and keep their imagination. How do you think you would have pivoted from from magnum Ta US champion and world title challenger to magnum Ta defending NWA and or WCW World Heavyweight Champion.
Speaker 4: But I think the only glimpse that we can see into it, besides just sheer speculation, is to look at the program with Nikita and I. Nikita was green as the grass on the ground, as strong as anybody you ever laid your hants on, and stiff, and Nikita and I on many many occasions went out and went thirty and forty five minutes and tore the house down. So I have to think that if Kenneth had opportunity and being able to general the match as a world champion does that I probably could have gotten the job done. I feel like I was kind of a precursor to the Steve Austin type character. And that I wasn't a babyface. Babyface wasn't a cutsy little babyface. It was a kind that would smack, you know, mob goggle of the mouth for saying the wrong thing. And I was kind of anti authority, even though I tried to represent values and principles and things that were good. So with that said, you know, I can't ever see myself, you know, being the cowardly heeled type character like Flair could portray and do so well. But I think I could have. I could have entertained the people.
Speaker 21: And if you well, I guess, I guess by that time pretty much he wasn't traveling much, so you wouldn't have had to been like a like a subtle heel too often, sort of like a maybe like a Jack Brisco did at times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there I mean, and there were heels out there that didn't work like Flair. I mean, look at Johnny Valentine. You know, Tony Valentale is about himself. The son of a gun. Is you never you don't want to see work? And I watched him and Whilie McDaniels just beat each other's depths, you know growing up here at the Atlantic, so you know you could be a rough, rugged heel and not have to be a Cora at WIMP, you know heel like you know some people were comfortable portraying and still get the job done.
Speaker 1: You know that last segment you're just listening to and the next one that you're waiting to listen to, those can be one second apart. With a VIP membership, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our shows. Pw torch dot com slash go vip tells you how to do it. That's pw torch dot com. Slash Go VIP options exist within the Apple podcast app using your Apple account through Patreon, which by the way, you can sync up with Spotify or just about any iOS or Android app. With a full VIP membership, you can customize the feed for individual shows and clusters of shows and themes. Go to pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on all the options to listen commercial free and with upper tier options unlock our v IP exclusive podcast run throughout the week.
Speaker 21: Every week we're talking with magnum Ta. He's going to be at the NWA Legends Fan fest this weekend. Go to NWA Legends dot com for more information. A couple of years ago when I went you did a great Q and A for the fans with the Tully Blanchard talking about your your famous Starcade match, and got an email here from from a fan wanting to know it was Was that your favorite Starkad match by far? Or were there others?
Speaker 9: What did you like?
Speaker 4: Blackway matches is for you know, you gotta be the pinnacle as far as performance, because I mean anything that can be you know, talked about thirty years after the fact in the fashion in which you did, uh. I mean I spoke with always with Dave Beltzer last weekend at at at Waterloo io on him for the first time and he said, you know, you know what kind of match did people still talk about, you know today thirty years after the fact. They had the kind of impact that one still match at And so you know, even though demanding times of things that I might have did, the ad the one more enjoyable, There's certainly nothing I've done is left that kind of long lasting impact. The best of seventh series was was uh, you know, was unbelievable, but won't for one single match to stand out like it did.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's certainly got to be the highlight reel for me.
Speaker 21: And sure it seems like every few years people do dust off a best of seven or a best of something series, So yeah, that is quite a quite a legacy. We got another question here from Matt from Washington State. He wants to know did you ever wrestle outside of the US?
Speaker 4: Got outside? No, I really didn't.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: I worked with Joe Blanchard, we went over into Mexico I think one time, and Russell at Hawaii, which, of course that's still in the United States, even's off the continent. But I was scheduled to have dogs at Japan in February of eighty eight, seven before you, before the crash affened, so that would have been my first opportunity to go out, But no, I did not.
Speaker 21: One of the things I learned when I was at n W A fan fest, which which is a great story, I think, tell everyone the magnum Ta name, tell him whose idea was that name? And it's it's a pretty great it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 4: I think, well, you know it is I and I still I had to laugh about that to this day. I had struck up my friendship with Andrea John back in my Portland days because I had a great, big old ninety eight for to a car. And when he came in, as he did back then, to you spent a couple of weeks in the territory whoever had the biggest car called the Giant around. So we met and talked and got to be actually, you know, good friends. And then when I was down in Florida, we were traveling. We'd been out to some night club something late at night, and we're eating breakfast at a place called fat Man's Barbecue and down there in Tampa, and he looked across the table at me, and and I progressed quite a bit since he had first met me when I first broke in, and he said, you know, he said, eating a handle eating He said, he looked kind of like that guy on TV. He said, you should be magnum Ta. And he came right out of his mouth, and he was going to go back to New York. And then Senior was still living and talked to Vince about bringing me to New York. Then, and you started starting off a career as magnum Ta well before he could get that done Ernie Land, who was working with Bill Watts. He was in for a TV taping. He saw me, and this is when Warren Dorf left Bill it went to New York. So it opened up to a spot in their roster. So Ernie gave me the call, told me the spot was there, asked me if I wanted to come. I went there and that's where I lonched off the magnum Ta character.
Speaker 21: How do you think magnum Ta would have fit into the WWF.
Speaker 4: Frankly, I think it would have been amazing. Vince was so creative, especially during that area, Kara. It's so hungry, you know, looking for the next big thing that I think potentially that combination of he and I could have just been dust It would have never happened unless Dusty had left too, because my loyalty was to Dusty. It wasn't even the m w A. It was Dusty. And uh, I mean I left Bill to come to Dusty when when the VIDs, you know, Atlantic was on his rear end and Mid South was on fire. So you know, if Dusty had said, you know, I think it'd be you know, if Dusty said, I think it would be best for you out of gone, but I would have really loved to see what I could have done with that kind of machine behind me.
Speaker 21: I was Florida when you were there, was it was it starting to taper off.
Speaker 4: It was you know, we were doing decent houses. I mean, you know, I was work in the middle of the card and making decent money and uh you know it was it was a great place to work in. You know, the experience, uh get experience with all kinds of season Metrians. But as far as you know, as far as business wise, I mean, it was nothing compared to what we turned. He had been south into where we where we'd got that place called all as Far.
Speaker 21: And this was the era where they were they were had they had the Global Tag Team Championships. They didn't have the US titles of the Florida titles. They were kind of transitioning to to the global identity.
Speaker 4: Right and that was a Brad Armstrong and myself myself were the Global Tag Team Champions, as were Scott McGee and myself, So we both tell those titles and we weren't with the U with the Royal Kangaroos.
Speaker 21: That was Was there any heat from the n w A for for I mean, essentially you're calling it a world title.
Speaker 4: You know, if there was nobody talked about it, Uh, you know, it wasn't being talked about at a bi level.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: If you know, Eddie Graham would have been handled all that, and he kept things pretty close to the cuff, so uh, you know there could have been heat, but whatever expressed us.
Speaker 21: All right, let's go to a six two eight six two. You're on the Life cast.
Speaker 10: Who's line?
Speaker 21: Where are you coming from?
Speaker 11: It's Kyler Jim?
Speaker 5: How are you funny?
Speaker 10: Good man?
Speaker 2: What do you got for making ta okay?
Speaker 11: First off, magnimum, it's an honor to talk to you, sir. My first question for you is did you ever think of going to w w WE at some point before your accident happened to you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I never had to play to go on there before the accident. I mean, my goal was firmly set on I'm coming to the WA world anyway can And of course you know that had not happened. U. You know idea it was probably about sites if you take place, So yeah, the WWE wasn't even an achely gonna find in my head back then.
Speaker 12: Hmm.
Speaker 11: Interesting. And my second question is even though you just expressed a desire to enter the the stock car racing profession, did you ever have any inklings of becoming a producer flash wrestling agent, Because in this last hour or so of conversation that I've had the privilege of listening to you, seem like you would have made an excellent boy. That transition in through and all of the career post accidents.
Speaker 4: Well to you know, today, at fifty seven years old, I've got a great deal different outlook on it than I would have than I did at twenty seven, twenty eight years old. It was very difficult coming back after the accident and interjecting myself back into the industry when I was still so young that you know, by all rights, I should have been out there performing, even though I had this vast head knowledge because I studied under Dusty and Eddie Graham and Bill Wattson. I was such a student of the game. It wasn't I wasn't comfortable in my own skin working with my contemporaries that I should have been out there in the ring performing with trying to be you know, directing in and giving guidance and doing all those kind of things. So everything because of my youth and the time at which you know, this untimely accident happened made it made that kind of transition, you know, difficult. Uh, you know, if I've been older, absolutely, but you know, in today and even in today's time, even though I've gotten the head knowledge, I don't have the patience to be you know, so tied up and away from your family and not being able to do the things with my kids that you know, the business does to you. Because I'm a dad of seven and my youngest are eight years old, boy girl, twins, and you know, at this point in my life there's nothing more important to me than my family. And when I was twenty seven and no kids, you know, I was married to the business, in love with what I was doing, and had, you know, such high goals and desires to be the best in the world. And that's what I was committed to. And it takes that kind of commitment to me in this you have to sacrifice those other things, and I would never you know, as a peture group band, you know, want to sacrifice those kind of things for a profession.
Speaker 21: Again, we're talking with Magnum here on the p W George Live Cast. Magnum. You are the stepfather of Tessa Tessa Blanchard. Correct, absolutely, yeah, Now obviously you you she grew up around you and you obviously uh did are you? Were you surprised when she decided that she wanted to enter the profession.
Speaker 5: No, I wasn't.
Speaker 4: Simply for the fact that Tessa has always been intrigued with uh, with hacking and me on the stage, being in the spotlight. And when she went down to Wrestle Media, when they inducted Tully to the Hall of Fame, and she saw the biggest show on earth for wrestling and excitement and the just all the things surrounded that, and she came back with stars in her eyes. I mean, just totally intrigued by that whole life, that whole world.
Speaker 5: Because even though she was raised by.
Speaker 4: Me and with her dad, uh, you know all the here, we were both out of the game as she grew up and was young, so she didn't wasn't around it, didn't see us performing, didn't you know, view of it and about it, and because people talking to her about us and our past, but which she was, you know, seeing all that excitement of Russellmedia. Uh, it excited a spark in her and she's just you know, dug her heels in. She's gotten me that intangible in factor that you either have or you don't have. And she's given the opportunity to, you know, to perfect her craft, which takes just spakes times as your right time, takes lots of low some ring and time in the front of live audiences. She's gonna be a superstar one day.
Speaker 21: What type of professional advice did you give her?
Speaker 4: Well, I told her to work hard and to you know, work hard and listen and to be humble, because you can't listen to the accolades of the fans and the marks and all the things around you and let it get teen. And you've got realized that this is a craft that you have to learn. It takes time, and no matter how hard and how many workouts you have in a ring, it takes time of performing with lots of different people, with lots of different styles, and it just takes time to perfect that. So I've asked, you know, trying to encourage her to be patient, to be diligent, to keep working hard to be the best he can be every day, and that if she's persistent with that and true to herself and what she's doing that she can be a success.
Speaker 26: Do you ever watch a WWE and think it.
Speaker 6: Used to be better?
Speaker 27: I don't know, josh Sometimes I think it used to be a whole lot worse.
Speaker 26: I mean, whether it's WrestleMania main events, old dudes at the top, to many titles, or women's wrestling.
Speaker 6: We're here to.
Speaker 26: Answer the big question, is it worse or better?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 27: Join me Joshua White and me Stephanie Cheese for Worse or.
Speaker 26: Better part of the pw Torch Daily castline up, dropping on Monday nights.
Speaker 27: Search pw Torch in your podcast apps such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify to subscribe for free or get a commercial free version with the pw Torch VIP membership. Check out pw torch dot com slash go vip for details and going vip.
Speaker 26: Worse or Better. Finally, something for wrestling fans to do on Monday.
Speaker 21: Nights, We're talking with magnum Ga, who is going to be at the NWA Legends fan Fest this weekend in Charlotte. All kinds of people are going to be there. A Lady Blossom Genie Clark, the ex wife of Stone Cold Steve All Chris Adams and Billy Jack Haynes. She's gonna have a Q and A on Thursday. Also Mickey James, Tony Shavani is going to be there. I believe this is Tony's first time being there. Jim Cornett is gonna do his live podcast taping at eleven o'clock, which is a tradition.
Speaker 5: He's in.
Speaker 21: He's in fine form ringside with Jim Ross. Austin Idol, who was on the show a couple of weeks ago, is going to be doing a live Q and A again. Austin Idol does not do a lot of speaking appearances. Definitely something I'm looking forward to is I'm going to be there this weekend. Jimmy Garvin, He's going to be speaking Roadway or Animal Magnum. He's going to be doing a Q and A at one pm on Saturday. And of course, I guess one of the reasons you're here is to talk about the Hall of Heroes banquet, and this year you're going to be inducting your your mentor your your friend the American Dream, Dusty Rhodes, who he lost about about a year ago. Talk about what what Dusty did did for you that maybe we may we may not know about.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't want to give away you know, everything that I'm going to talk about in the conduction cerebody and obviously everybody listening, he doesn't have the potential of being uh being you know, being part of that. So you know, the the one of the biggest, one of the bigger things I'll share is that Dusty was that true friend to the end kind of guy. Uh. He he wasn't friends with me just because uh, you know, I helped you know them, you know, set the the Atlantic on fire and go into the battle against the w w E and do all the things that we did. We had a friendship, a brotherhood that was second and that and you know, after my accident, uh and after he departed going to the w w E, and uh, he was getting an opportunity come back to to w c W as the booker, as the creative director. You know, he opened that door up for me to come in and be his assistant. And that was huge at a time when you know, I didn't have a lot of opportunities out there because the CBS organization had let me go after my contract had expired, and there was a whole group of people there that really didn't know anything about me or what I went to the business, or history or anything, and it was kind of a cold place. And he opened up opportunities for me that theybled me to take care of and provide for my family. And it was just a true and good friend at good times and bad times. So, you know, a very special relationship there. And I've never had a relationship even come close with any one person of my adult life. Drug Dusty and I shared both during my wrestling in the ring career and half.
Speaker 21: As far as as far as Dusty, what do you think he meant the to the wrestling business.
Speaker 4: Well, he was bigger than the wrestling business. His impact will be felt throughout time because not only is at ring performance and what he did and helping you build the big Vega shows that people enjoy today, but his work in the ring and his sideline work with all these kids down there in the NFT and the developmental Center has has firmly entrenched, you know, the philosophies and what Dusty was brought to professional wrestling and a whole huge generation of kids that we're going to see performing over the next ten fifteen years. So you'll see pieces of events and pieces of Dusty Royds and his influence over the wrestling community for seventy years to come. That his impact will be fault for for multiple generations.
Speaker 12: Yea.
Speaker 21: And I think it's amazing back, you know, with the with the with the six o five show, if you watch it now on the network, you'll see the interviews that Dusty would cut and he would make veiled comments, veiled digs at the w WF, and it was it was a very heated rivalry as you as you talked about. And I think it's it's a testament to Dusty's legacy. And people talk about when he went to the WWF and they they put him in polka dots and he may or may not it may or may not have been a rib but whatever. But for for a guy who was on the front line of that very bitter war, who may or may not have been humiliated by Vince when he went to the WWF, here we are thirty years later, and I think it's a testament to the work that he did and the person that he was, where he has been remembered and embraced and you know, and enshrined as as one of their own.
Speaker 4: Now, well, Vincent and his wife and Triple Ah and stuff, we're all there, and Dustin's general saw them while they're talk to them, and the thing was it was about our business has always been about respect. The other. Rivalry was huge, and there was certainly animosity when Dusty first went there. And now, I don't think the publy nuts were a rib at all. I think they were an attempt to discredit him and the fact that he rose above and beyond anything. Ever anybody imagined what he could do with what they laid on his plate only elevated him even higher in their opinion of you know, in respect for what Dusty was capable of doing as a performer and both you know what he also would later bring and his coaching coach mentoring to the view and young talent that they were trying to cultivate for their own their own uh endeavors. So yeah, it's an amazing story and one that has so many layers of so many passes that you can write multiple books about it.
Speaker 21: So when I was promoting this interview with you, Magnum, I tweeted out a picture of you and Dusty in these huge fur coats on the six o five show doing an interview with Tony Schavani, and Tony's got this look on his face. And I guess a lot of fans, younger fans are people had not seen, uh seen those coats before. They had they had it, got it, got a lot of engagement. Everyone was commenting on the the fur coats. So do you wanna do you want to explain the huge fur coats you guys wore?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we, you know, we we had a lot of jesting, you know, go on between us, and you know, Player was always run in his mouth and his mis and this that and his you know, all his high dollar suits and all the things. And and one day we were just Dusty dye Player. We were all in Vegas and Dusty and I walked into this furrier shop with the guy who'd made coats for Limarachi and everybody else, and of course they were all over he and I and we just we just had a long hair. This time we both could get full link coyote coats made to wear on TV, just to shut up Rick. And so we again we both bought these coats. We paid about seventy five hundred dollars a piece for him back in nineteen eighty five and wore maybe three times but Warball TVs and had pictures taken with him, and you know, it was it was just kind of a tongue and cheek kind of funny thing to us back then. But you know, that's kind of competition we had. And you know, as a cavadery and everything else out of a bots this and it's H'm glad that there's some good pictures of us out there in them and the wolves and did create quite a stern to say the least.
Speaker 21: Did did do you still have the coat? Did you sell it?
Speaker 5: What? Was it a tax?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was that I sold a couple of years ago, I think dusty Gauges and down in Dallas Page one year. But I mean it was so big and heavy, it was it was like wearing an electric blanket. Unless it was about thirty below outside. You couldn't merely stand award. It's the warm stand out all of my life.
Speaker 21: Well and in that era, you guys are doing great business and and you know, I understand like in particular for the TV tapings, the uh, the cars in the parking lot when everyone showed up, they were pretty spectacular.
Speaker 4: But we were all making big money. And you know, in the eighties, big money. If you're making one hundred and fifty two hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year, that was huge money back then. And uh so, yeah, I mean Corvettes and Mercedes, Jaguars and Porsches were, you know, just just everywhere.
Speaker 6: I mean we were.
Speaker 4: We were in Charlotte before there was any pro sports team, so we were the pro sports team and there was about two hundred of us here and there was a lot of money flowing.
Speaker 21: All right, Magnan, Well, look, we'll see you this weekend at the nw A fan Fest. Any words before we let you go, Man, just thank you.
Speaker 4: I never ceases to amaze me the impact and the great stories the fans have. Look forward to seeing them all there. I'm so honored to be inducting Dusty into the Hall of Heroes. He would have loved that. He had a great passion from the city of Charlotte and for the Atlantic Wrestling Organization in this territory. So you know, I'm excited about it, look forward to seeing the fans, and thank you so much for having me off this morning.
Speaker 21: My pleasure anytime magnum and thank you. And by the way, we'll be doing a live show on Wednesday night around five thirty, So if you're in the hotel and you see a podcast, come on by and just say hi for a couple of minutes.
Speaker 4: All right, that's great, you guys have a great day.
Speaker 21: All right, man, there's magnum Ta, the Great magnum Ta, Terry Allen joining us on the live cast, and we covered a lot from mid Atlantic Crockett, which I guess is the same thing, to Watts, to Portland and Florida, to WWF and Andre the Giant. But yeah, he's going to be at the Hall of Heroes. It's going to be uh this weekend and you can come on by and see magnum Ta and everybody. Go to NWA Legends dot com and again, Britt Wittmyer and I we're going to be there this Wednesday. We're gonna do a live cast at five thirty, the usual five thirty Eastern time for the Pat McNeil Show, because we're going to be there for Pats. If you're in the area, if you're going to NWA FanFest, come by and say hi. But hopefully we'll get some wrestlers on and some wrestling personalities whoever they are. We'll see what happens. But it's going to be live and engaged and hopefully be a lot of fun. But a lot of people are going to be there, so be sure and stop by Bruce Mitchell. He's going to be there, so I say hi to say hi to Bruce and say what's up with with everybody? So yeah, n w A legends dot com and you can can check it all out book heads. This has been fun as always, So I'll see you on Wednesday and they again next Saturday. I need to book somebody. I haven't had a chance the opportunity, but we'll figure something out. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll find somebody this weekend and we can we can make it work. Make it work that way, all right, Well, we will see you on Wednesday for Pat McNeil, so be sure and call in and we will talk to you then.
Speaker 12: A lot of.
Speaker 1: Your time is valuable. Go vip and listen to our shows commercial free. A nice streamline listening experience pw Torch dot com slash go vip for full details on a commercial free listening experience and with a full VIP membership. You can create custom feeds for individual shows or groups of shows by theme, and also unlock nearly four decades of archives and access our ad free website with VIP exclusive content. PW Torch dot com slash go VIP. Your time is valuable, and that's one of the reasons we offer VIP membership PW Torch dot com slash go VIP. You can participate in the Wadkeller Prog Wrestling podcast by emailing your question or topic too Weadkeller Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also participate in the Waykeller Post shows by emailing Weadkellerpost Show at gmail dot com during or right after Rawdynamite or SmackDown. Let your voice, let your opinions be heard on our shows via email. Weightkeller Podcast at gmail dot com for the flag Ship and Wadekellerpost Show at gmail dot com for our post shows. It's next level coverage that you come to expect from the PW Torch brand. No AI, no rookie perspectives, no unfounded rumors, no clickbait, no deceptive headlines, just high quality writing, breaking news and fascinating flashbacks every day at PW torch dot com. Pull yourself away from the evacuous social media experience that I know many of you regret once you get lost in it for minutes, if not hours at a time, and settle in for high quality PW Torch branded wrestling coverage. Admit it, you love Nick Barbatty when he co hosts with me on the Wade Keller Post Shows. Well, now you can listen to him every week on The Nicky's Club, a VIP exclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 17: Hey wrestling fans, It's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nicky's Club, the place where the family of Nicky's comes together for big laughs and Shark takes on WWE for WrestleMania rumors to surprise returns. I got you covered, the Nicky's Club, where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatti wants to be part of your pro wrestling life every week, so why not let him go vip PW torch dot com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with Patreons, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You can also stream directly from our ad free VIP website, The Nikki's Club waiting for you every week at pw Torch VIP. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite Weight color podcasts and pw torch Daily casts on Spotify.
Speaker 5: Just go to.
Speaker 1: Patreon dot com, search pw Torch and subscribe to a VIP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Waightkeller post shows, the Weightkeler Podcast, Flagship, our Flashbacks, and also the pw Torch Daily cast lineup again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience. But with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Wadkeller news bulletins, post pay per view tables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search pw Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify, or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. If you're listening to us on the Apple podcast app, on Spotify, or any other app that allows you to rate our podcast, please take a moment to give us a five star rating. It really helps us in the algorithm and helps them know that you recommend us to others. Just look for a place to rate the show on Spotify, on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to our shows, and please click that five star rating, and of course thank you so much for listening. A PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go VIP and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name, long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. We have a streamline sign up for me and you can pay it with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. Pw torch dot com slash Go vip