Speaker 1: It's n side with I w BSS radio. Stop stop stop stop it stop it stop stop stop stop stop stop stop. That is from it ends with us. Uh what a film? What a movie with Blake Lively and Justin Baldini and it's this whole situation is so disturbing because as far as a film goes, which compared to the to the topic at hand here that you know, the film is is secondary. Right now, I think it's a terrific film. I think it's well done. I think it's realistic. I think it has a great message at the end. But with what has transpired and the ugliness that has been revealed in this is just so disturbing. It's not surprising, but it's still disturbing. And joining me right now is our good friend from New York City and CBS entertainment reporter Cooper, Lawrence Cooper.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Of course, I'm always here for you, you know, especially when you talking about my favorite topics.
Speaker 1: Well, I know, and I am going to get to this, but here's a big market Seese. Cooper was on the set of this film, which we will get to. Can you just update us right now as best you can on where things stand because I think it's been getting a little confusing on who started, what went, and where.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will give you the very quick timeline to understand what happened on set. Justin Beldoni and his I guess directing partner is a production partner. Producing partner, Thank you very much, were inappropriate with Blake Lively. She felt very uncomfortable, and she had asked them for two things. She asked for independent producers so that she didn't have to deal with them directly, and she asked for an intimacy coach because she felt that some of the things that he was doing on set were deliberately misogynistic and deliberately targeting her. She felt she felt unsafe on that set, so she asked on set privately. She didn't make news about it, she didn't call a publicist. She literally just said it to them and that was that. Then the movie came out and it wasn't really getting great reviews, and because they had a tumultuous relationship on set, they didn't really do a lot of press together, and he felt that somehow she was sabotaging the film, and he claims that she was basically tanking the film. He then proactively said, well, she's going to ruin her reputation. He hired his own PR firm to basically go after her, and these texts that were revealed to New York Times basically said it was his PR from talking to each other saying that we're going to bury Blake Lively. So as a result, she wasn't gonna saything this entire time, but now that this came out, then she realized she had to sue him, so she did. Now he's countersued for four hundred million dollars, which I don't know how he thinks he's ever going to be worth that, but fine, that's the number he chose. So he's countersuing Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds and Leslie Sloane, the person who is in charge of their PR. And that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for setting that straight, because I've had discussions with people, and as I remember it, he started this publicly. Now that's not to say she didn't have cause to come out and say so, because I believe she did. Because Blake Lively has been in this business for a long time. My daughter, a teenager, has discovered gossip Girl on Netflix. It's on all the time. So Blake Lively is a veteran actor, she knows the deal. She has been on sets, she has seen a lot, She's experienced a lot, and automatically I thought, okay, when she came out to defend herself, I said, there's something got to be going on because she has never done this.
Speaker 2: There's no history of.
Speaker 3: He drew first blood. You're correct, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, which to me, which when you say, look, you drew first like, I go, the guy was paranoid. So I feel as I analyze this, Folks, again, I'm not playing journalists here, I'm playing talk show hosts. I analyzed this is he knew he did something wrong. He knew he did something wrong, so he tried to get ahead of it and it came back to bite him.
Speaker 2: In the ass.
Speaker 3: Right, That's exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: Crazy Right now, let's talk about the things that happened on set and see if there's any I'm going to play devil's advocate, Folks. I believe Blake Lively. I'm on her side. I'm doing this to make an argument. The argument that he says he was trying to create an atmosphere for the condition of the film, method acting and so forth. I mean showing her pornography on his phone that has no business being on a set, but making her uncomfortable, creating tension. Is there any substance to that.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you one yes, because I was on set and I was there for one of the scenes where he kept trying to kiss her, but like, really just go for it at a at a point in the film that it would not really have made sense, and you can see how uncomfortable she was. In fact, while I was standing there on set, I was watching her, and I was thinking, you know, usually when two actors are working together, they kind of, you know, back and forth, chat figure something out. I know he was also the director, so even more reason why they would chat. They had nothing to do with each other. She was on her phone talking to her I'm going to say, kids, I was talking to people, maybe Taylor Swift, I don't know who she was talking to, but she was on her phone. And as soon as they said action, she handed her phone to an assistant and then got on set and then did her thing. And you can see she was very uncomfortable, and I was thinking, well, the story that we had been told was that this film was supposed to be done and in the can before the actor strike, but because the strike happened, it delayed their shooting. So now they're shooting months later. They're getting it done. And she wanted to be with Ryan, she wanted to be with her kids. She didn't want to be on set. Maybe that's why, Maybe that's why this whole thing is weird and uncomfortab. Maybe she just didn't really want to work right now, wants to be with her kids. And I thought it was odd. But then there was the scene where he was trying to kiss her, and you can see as people, not as actors. There was something going on that just looked she looked uncomfortable, and I had no idea. Thought, maybe they don't get who knows. I can speculate all I want to. I did not know what was happening, but I just knew something odd was happening. And I remember going home and telling my boyfriend, like, this was a weird day on set. It was not like a normal day I would normally have. And then the whole story came out. Oh, yes that's what we were seeing. Now it all makes sense. But you know actors, especially famous actors, when they are on set and there's all these people around them and they know they're being watched, they're on their best behavior. So if there is something off, it's very evident because they behave in a way that is definitely different. And that's what was going on that day. And now it makes perfect sense that at that point, it was towards the end of the shooting schedule, they were almost done, and when they got done with the scene, she turned him and said, can I go now, which I thought was very interesting. I'd never usually asked, oh, are we done? Okay, cool, we're cut, Okay, I see you later. It's never can we Can I go now? And I remember thinking, wow, that's that's very unusual. And I don't know why she said that, because she was just so you know, she was lovely to everybody. She was so sweet and so kind, So I wasn't thinking, well, she's just you know, the B word, that's where it must be. No, she was absolutely lovely, but with him, she wasn't. And I didn't know whether it was part of the scene, if it was method acting, but now I know it was because he was making her uncomfortable. And he created a hostile work environment, and she was quiet about it. She didn't say anything to anybody. But you're right. Once the film was done and she went off off, you know, in her world and did Lady Deadpool had had more things to do beyond that. I think he tried to get ahead of it because he was afraid that she was going to tank him in Hollywood, and sure enough, you know, his agent dropped him. They have the same agent. If I was the agent, who would you keep Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds some guy that no one knows who he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not even close. But I remember the TV series Castle with Nathan Fillion, and.
Speaker 2: I forgot them more. Yeah, I forgot the way.
Speaker 1: I'd loved She was terrific actor, but I forgot the woman's name who played But they did not get along. They could not stand each other on set, but they made it work on the show.
Speaker 2: So there are examples.
Speaker 1: Well, we could go back to All in the Family, you know, where Jean Stable did and Carol O'Connor did not get along, But it wasn't like this.
Speaker 2: They just didn't see eye to eye.
Speaker 1: So there are instances where you could be on the set where the leading man in and the leading lady just don't get along, but when they say action, they do their job.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You and I could sit here and spend an hour coming up with examples of people who famously hated each other, but yet we're professional and did their jobs, and as viewers, we would never know that there was no relationship there. This is different. This is a hostile work environment that he created and really didn't do anything to make it okay for her because the fact that even towards the end of the shooting schedule that she was still feeling uncomfortable like that. It just I have to tell you my feeling about him on set. Somebody else said to me while we were there, He's really a bully, isn't he? And I hadn't observed him long enough. But this is somebody that had been on set longer than I had. They were there for a couple of weeks, and they said he's a bully is the word they used. So I just took their word for I was like, well, maybe that's why you left. I had no idea. But now that the story has unfolded, you know, it's kind of the end of usual suspects where you're like, what's going on? Then suddenly you look around the room and go, oh oh oh, it all makes.
Speaker 1: Sense right right, and you drop them up where we're at and you drop them all geting crashes on the floor, and you go. Of course, Cooper Lawrence is our guest CBS Entertainment reporter. We got a lot more to uncovered regarding it ends with us right here on WBC's Nightside.
Speaker 2: Back after this, now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Man stop, please stop, please stop stop.
Speaker 2: Look at me, look at me, look at me, look.
Speaker 1: You look at me, Look at I love you baby, look at me, please please.
Speaker 2: That is from this is us. The audio is creepier than the video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is it really.
Speaker 2: I just was. I'm listening to this, I go, it's worse a horror film, Oh my god, which I mean, unfortunately for Blake Lively it was.
Speaker 1: But always we're talking about the situation between Blake Lively and jessin Boldona here when Cooper Lawrence joining a CBS Entertainment reporter, and I mean he's just a think you know, the guys that think, and but when you listen to that or you watch that scene. Her acting ability to put all of this aside and deliver that performance is amazing.
Speaker 3: She's a professional, She's doing her job. I mean, people don't know that. You know, you and I really we have a long history of fighting and suiting. But look at us.
Speaker 2: You never know, right yeah, yeah, sure, yeah, you kick my ass.
Speaker 1: No, but that's true. No, no, no, but I mean to just go that deep and then get it done. And then they go cut and she goes jerk and you know, leaves. But this is what the sick part of this as we take a look at this Baldona character. He writes a movie or co wrote a movie and directs a movie about domestic violence, sexual assault, and then he commits it while he's making it.
Speaker 2: How sick is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And the sickest part about it is that the script had a lot of problems. So he had asked Ryan Reynolds, who was a producer on the film, to doctor the script. And all these text messages went back and forth where Valdoni comes over and he's with Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds and Kayla Swift happened to have been there and they were just sort of going over the script and discussing it together, and he sends this message, Oh what that was just such a wonderful session. You guys, are you really punched up the script? It's so perfect now. And now he claims that he felt pressured to say that because of their star power, which doesn't make any sense because if you read the text, they come across very genuine like in retrospect, you could say anything depending on how you feel about somebody. But in the moment, he was obviously very grateful because the script did have problems. You know, it's based on a book, and you should definitely read the book because it's better than the movie in my opinion. But it's interesting that, you know, they gave him a lot of creative control. And I think sometimes in Hollywood. Here's an example of how the level of narcissism is just off the charts in Hollywood. So justin Baldoni, the news comes out today that he is counter sewing her for four hundred million dollars. I would, if I were him, put that out there and then go home and just kind of hide from the paparazzi and just give it a minute. Not him he went to. He was at LAX with his family because he knows that's what the paparazzis are when you when you're very famous, when you're that famous, you don't go to the IVY, you don't go to LAX. You know how to avoid DMZ. But not him. He couldn't wait to get on TMZ and he didn't say no comment. He was on camera telling him all about how you know he's going to survive this because of his family and they have such faith, they have faith. It just all comes across like a play. It doesn't come across genuine and I don't know that. I think sometimes celebrity's narcissism gets in the way of reality. And I think, to me that was a mistake.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt it does. But let's face it.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's a star, and Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds have an incredible body of work and they're much larger in the business than him. But where his sickness, and I do believe is sick has cost him is if he simply directed the film, was a professional and put it out there. The film made three hundred fifty one million dollars at the box office.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much of that is attributed to the controversy.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. What do you think.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of it because the film, I think, you know, it did really well. It's on Netflix now, it's doing better on Netflix than it did you know, anywhere else. Yeah, I think people are very interested to see the chemistry between them. Can you tell a lot of people did read the book and they were kind of interested in seeing the book made into a movie. But this has been going on since they started filming. You know. Oh, they were seen on the street kissing. They're filming the movie. Ah, this is so exciting. So I think we've been following this story from the very beginning. So whether the movie is good or not is kind of irrelevant.
Speaker 1: It's well, if it doesn't happen, If this doesn't happen, and the movie comes out, what do you think it does.
Speaker 3: If what doesn't happen, I mean.
Speaker 1: If this controversy doesn't happen, If Balboni is a gentleman, if they get along, everybody's great, they put out the movie, what happens to the movie. How much money does it make? Is it up for awards or does it simply just go away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it would have bombed. I think it would have absolutely bombed, just because nobody really knows who he is. I mean, she has her following, what is that? Okay? But I think you're right. I think a lot of the success of the movie now is post all of this information. And you know, I'm so cynical that there's a side of me. I was like, was this the plan all along? Do they secretly love each other? And this is the whole plan to get us to watch this movie? Like that's how cynical I've become.
Speaker 2: I said the same thing.
Speaker 1: Of course, I go, is this a pr gimmick? I mean, is he taking a bullet here to generate some buzz? Now? I if you were to rate the movie in a scale of one to ten, what would.
Speaker 2: You give it?
Speaker 3: I mean, I thought she was terrific. I think the script had some problems, maybe a six.
Speaker 2: See, I liked it. I liked it. I was going to give it an eight. I liked it.
Speaker 1: I liked the movie like because I thought, first of all, it's a terrific message.
Speaker 2: Secondly, I thought there was I thought it was realistic.
Speaker 1: In that you know, we it's always very easy, especially for men you know or you know you talk about well, I mean it was just a doctor in Boston, you know, now two hundred cases of alleged sexual abuse, and we're like, god, why do people stick around?
Speaker 2: How come people don't speak up? How come people don't you know?
Speaker 1: And this movie illustrated how hard it is, you know, because you know where he comes across.
Speaker 2: He's very genuine. The guy has a history.
Speaker 1: He lost his brother as a result of his actions when he was younger.
Speaker 2: He has that guilt.
Speaker 1: He's a doctor, he's an emergency you know, he's trying to save patients. So you have this thing that, oh my god, this guy is saving lives, right, and he's brilliant, but he's haunted by his past. So at first you think he's a very lovable character, and that obviously changes when he has these outbursts and he commits and he hits her right where so.
Speaker 2: I thought it was.
Speaker 1: And she doesn't run away, She sticks around and she says, you know it was you know, he just got mad once and.
Speaker 2: She justifies it. So I thought it was very realistic.
Speaker 1: Then I'm giving him away the movie now, but you know, she's you know, because she has a baby in the marriage and she goes.
Speaker 2: You know, I stayed with.
Speaker 1: The baby he's out, which I thought was a very realistic ending. So I thought the movie was well done, to be honest with you, and that this guy, just if he had done nothing, I thought, and just been a normal human being, I.
Speaker 2: Thought it would have worked out for him. But I guess I'm in the minority. There, I am in the minority.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you get people that are really big Colleen Hoover fans, She's the woman who wrote the book originally, and they have such high expectations. But the problem is, you know, a book is long, and if you if you actually turned a book into a movie, the movie would be six hours long. No one's going to sit there for all that time. So you have to condense it and pick out the parts you think are going to tell the story in the best way. So I think there are these purists that are like, oh, I wasn't that seen in the movie, or I thought that was an important character. So I think a lot of you get those critics as well, who are looking for the same level of dialogue that was in the book. So yeah, I agree with you, though I think I think the story this looks the story was really well written. It's a it's a very interesting story, and listen well acted considering what we actually know about them right now, so right, I mean, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it was in Boston, and I like seeing Boston. See I like, you know, so I got sucked into it. I mean, I admit, you know, I got something to it. But I also think that books should be at least six episodes in a series.
Speaker 2: That's what I think. I think.
Speaker 1: I think trying to do a movie off a book, they change half the stuff anyways, half the time, the endings change. I mean, but for some reason, as a based on Ernest Hemingway's book, I mean, like, just show the movie and then if you have a great novel and a great book, you know, make it eight episodes if you will, just like, oh, what was the Nicole Kidman and Liev Schreiber on the on Martha's Vineyard.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you.
Speaker 3: Saw a perfect couple.
Speaker 2: I liked it, you know, I thought it was pretty good.
Speaker 3: YEP, I loved I don't know why they didn't get more attention than Golden Globes. I thought they were both terrific in it. I thought. I thought the story was unpredictable. I loved every character, and I had no idea where it was going. And you know, I watched so much of this I'm always like, yeah, I see where this is. No, it was. I'm really curious as to why it was ignored by all the critics, why it didn't get any nomination.
Speaker 2: I mean, Golden Globes of Tamura was big time with the international.
Speaker 3: Well, it always is. It's a foreign press.
Speaker 1: No, I understand that, but I think even with the foreign press in the in the past, I would have to look it up that they've been a little more welcoming to the films within the United States.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It seemed to me they really favored the international product this time, which it was well deserved. I mean, don't get me wrong, but I think probably there was there was a lot of competition on the international level.
Speaker 2: You know this set.
Speaker 1: By the way, Jenny Slate Boston, we got to give her a shout out her love Yeah, Boston.
Speaker 3: Kids, good for her, terrific. Yeahs. So she's in if you haven't seen it, ends with us, she is in it. She plays the best friend. She's just terrific. She's just yeah, yeah, she's very charming and you know, but I wonder she knew what was going on inside the set. I don't. I think I had heard she made some comments about it, but I think to be smart, she and uh Hassan Minaj that who is also they both stayed out of it. They say, what are you gonna do with it?
Speaker 2: You know, I mean you can't, you know, what are they gonna do? Look? Do you have time for a little more conversation here?
Speaker 3: I always do for you, always.
Speaker 2: Because I want to get into TikTok a little bit too.
Speaker 1: That that's coming up with Cooper Lawrence right here from CBS Entertainment on WBZ. If you're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio, CBS Entertainment guru Cooper Lawrence joining us here on WBC's Nightside. We've been breaking down what's going on with ends it ends with us? Before we move on, Cooper, what do you think happens? How does this thing wrap up?
Speaker 3: If they're smart, they'll settle somebody. They'll settle it out and we won't have to sit and watch them go to court against each other. But the thing is you know, Ryan Reynolds and and Blake Lively have the richer the richer daddy, so I wouldn't go after them. I mean basically, Justin Baldoni is punching up, and I think he doesn't really understand what he's in for. So I think that he's going to either settle with them or walk away. He's not going to win against them. There is no way They're too powerful.
Speaker 2: Well he's done, right, Oh yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: He lost his agent. I don't think anybody would work with him at this point because listen, he didn't go after people that everybody hate, like Gwyneth Paltrow. You know, he went after these two beloved, amazing people, Ryan Reynolds, he's so beloved, and Blake Lively. So he does come across like kind of an ogre in this thing, like you know what, who doesn't love Blake Lively? So I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I agreed, So he was screwed no matter what. Yeah to me, Like I said, look, he made the mistake by being paranoid at the beginning.
Speaker 3: But I think he's a narcissist and I think he thinks that he is in the same rarefied air as they are, and when he realized he wasn't. That's what this is really all about. I think the level of narcissism which is listened very common in that industry. But I think he's he's really certifiable, in my opinion.
Speaker 1: I don't know him absolutely right now. Absolutely, there's no doubt about it. He absolutely is okay. By the way, obviously, what's going on in Los Angeles is it's just awful. It's just awful, terrible, Yeah, I mean, and it's throwing the entertainment industry. People are putting on the brakes even though it's weird. I talked to a a producer buddy of mine. He says, believe it or not, dude, people are still calling me from meetings and I'm like, wow, that's amazing. How long What does it do to the industry? I mean, how does this is a six months?
Speaker 2: Is it a year? I mean, do you have any idea whatever?
Speaker 3: I have a Yeah. I have a friend who's a screenwriter, and he and I had this conversation because he's in he's in there, so I was kind of curious what he thought. And he said, after the Sister strikes, you know, after the writers build strike, and the actors strike, Hollywood was really having a hard time recovering. He said, this is really putting a nail in the coffin right now. There's this is absolutely no way that they're going to be able to continue, because it's not just the big famous people whose houses burnt down, it's also you know, the grips and the makeup artists and all those people who lost everything who can't work there, who had to leave, who have nothing. So even if you know the big stars somehow find a way to rally, who's going to hold a camera, who's going to hold the microphone, who's going to edit? They just they've it's decimated the entire industry right now and it's going to be a while before it comes back. I have a couple of friends in the industry who have literally left the country to go do their work elsewhere because it's just it's just been too much for them and they and it's cheaper to live outside the country right now, it's certainly in that area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have the same situation that Australia had.
Speaker 1: Win Fred who was a dual citizen here in Australia when made TV TV shows in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: You know, which is not a bad gig.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad you brought that up because when I've been talking to friends as well, and I said, you know, Hollywood is really it's it's a factory town. You have Beverly Hills, we get it. You have the red carpet, but like that's the one percent of the one percent. But you and you also have working actors who you go, oh, I remember that person. Ohthough I've seen that person that you know that make a living, okay, but they're not household names, and they have mortgages, just like the grips, and just like the the the the the limo drivers or the lighting people and the audio people in the people don't understand that that it's a factory town in that way.
Speaker 2: So your point is well taken.
Speaker 3: Well, I blame us. I think I think us, as the news reporters, we focused, I mean you and I I mean like collectively focused too much on celebrities. Which celebrities lost their homes and playing their tiktoks and their instagrams, you know, of them losing everything. And while that's really terrible and really sad because especially for their children who've lost everything, who don't have any skin in the game other than they don't have any of their stuff anymore. The perception for the rest of the country is, why do I care If some multi millionaire lost their house, they go, it's just one of their houses. They'll go build another one. But the thing is that is a tiny percentage. It's important to remember that the people that lost everything are not either not in the industry, or like you said, they're living paycheck to paycheck and they're hoping to get work. So that's the majority of people there, which is why we should donate and do whatever you can do to help people, just the way they helped us here in New York during nine to eleven or the way, or during Hurricane Sandy, like you know, we saw a lot of charity here, so I think giving back now is the time time.
Speaker 2: I agree one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we need to remember that I'm not on TikTok.
Speaker 2: I assume you must be.
Speaker 3: I am. Unfortunately, I hate it. I do it. Yeah, you know, it's one of those things.
Speaker 1: I mean, can I ask you a personal question here on the radio? Sure, do you make any money off it?
Speaker 3: I'm not on TikTok for money.
Speaker 2: Okay, but no do you? But do you? I know you're not.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no no. I don't make money off of any of my social media.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: For me. The thing is, there are influencers whose sole purpose is to They're actually classes right now being given at universities in this country that are high end universities that are hard to get into, and their classes on how to be an influencer, how to get those contracts, how to turn what you're doing on social media into a real business. That's very different than someone like me, where I'm just on there to comment on entertainment, to promote something that CBS News is doing. So it's a it's a totally different animal for me. I don't make any money off of any of my social media. That's never the intention for me. But there are people that that is really their soul. So someone's on there, Let's say they're they're doing a cooking video. They're doing lots of cooking videos, and they're doing very well. They have two million viewers and their videos get you know, millions and millions of hits. They have products that they're on there promoting. They get paid by those companies to promote, you know, Queisin art or whatever they're using, they're they're going to be out the money. Those are the people that are really going to suffer. And again not celebrities, just some woman who you know is doing unboxing videos with her kid. So I think it's they could go over to YouTube, they can go elsewhere, which I think a lot of people are doing right now. But there are people that do make their living off of TikTok.
Speaker 2: I read the average income as one hundred and thirty one dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Know that that's true, I've read it. I've read that it's much less than that. The people that make a lot of money on TikTok. Most people make very little. They average ten to twenty thousand dollars a year if they're lucky to get something here and there.
Speaker 2: But that I don't think that makes a difference in somebody's life.
Speaker 3: Of course, Oh my gosh, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah it does. Yeah, So where are you as far.
Speaker 1: As the fact that it's going away?
Speaker 3: You know, for me, you know, Vine went away, and I thought that was great at the time. My Space went away back then. You know, these these social media sites come and go. You do get on the next one and you move on and it's you know, I'm sorry that you're making so much money on TikTok. Go make money on whatever the next one is. I just think if you if you have a brand to sell, you can sell that brand anywhere. It doesn't have to be TikTok. You can take your brand. In fact, most of the influences were already saying to their followers, come find me on Instagram, come find me on Snapchat. So you know, it's only one more platform. And if it's problematic, I think that should be a.
Speaker 2: Concern, somebody else will step in.
Speaker 3: Something else you'll step in, who hopefully will not be trying to harvest data of your eleven and twelve year olds who are on TikTok, even though they're not allowed.
Speaker 1: To be right right? Oh please, oh come on, forget the age limits. Are you kidding me? I want to know what you're watching? Do you have time for one more segment?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, Cooper, Cooper Lawrence is the best. We're going to find out what she's watching. And that's next year on WBZ.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Get back here with Cooper Lawrence our a buddy from CBS News and CBS Entertainment.
Speaker 2: So what are you watching? What's hot out there?
Speaker 3: Now? You got to prepare yourself for the Oscars, which you're coming up March second, and it's only I feel like the Oscars are only exciting if you've seen enough of the movies.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: If you've seen nothing, then you've no interest in watching it. So if you have Netflix, make sure you watch Amelia Perez. That will absolutely get nominated for everything. The other big film is going to be Nickel Boys. It's on everybody's list, right So those are the two films that I recommend the most. Right now. This weekend, we're watching season two of Severn, which is on Apple TV Plus, and it's that kind of crazy. If you haven't seen the first season, you should probably start watching from the beginning so you know what's going on. But it's kind of a wacky, the well written show.
Speaker 1: We talked about it last night, and I'll tell you what I told my buddy.
Speaker 2: We were talking last night about Seventh.
Speaker 1: The premise when you tell me that if I go to work, I forget what happens at home, and when I go home, I forget what happens at work. I'm okay with that, you know. Initially, if I'm at home and I'm not thinking of work, I'm great. And then I'm at work and I don't have one of my kids calling me bitching about something, I'm fantastic. I've tried to get into it and I just can't get into it.
Speaker 2: I can't. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: It's pretty out there. Yeah, it's pretty out there, but the acting is quite good to me right now, the best thing on television. If you don't have Peacock, it's worth at least just grabbing it and watching it with commercials. If you have not seen The Day of the Jackal, that's what Eddie Redmain was nominated for.
Speaker 2: I've heard it's really good. He's a great actor.
Speaker 3: My god, he's more than really good. This is this is one of the best things I've seen on television in a long long time. It is so well acted and so well written. You'll recognize Charles Dance as well from Game of Throne. There'll be a lot of actors and he'll be like, oh, that's that guy from that thing. So there's a lot of familiar faces. But more importantly, it's a really well written story, and they do a really good job of taking you through each episode so that you it feels like you've watched a movie in sections. It's really very i think, very brilliantly does well.
Speaker 2: Peacock needs it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know that they were making jokes about it at the Golden Globes that it's you know, it's hard to find some on Peacock, but frankly they're actually doing good this they're doing pretty well right now. And if you want to watch something kind of old but good, there's another show on Peacock called Mister Mercedes that is also quite good that I recommend. It's from twenty seventeen, but again a lot of actors you'll recognize in it, and it's a really interesting storyline.
Speaker 2: What's what's the premise for that?
Speaker 3: What's the premise of that? Is? It all starts out with so all these people are queuing up too for like a job fair, and you get to know some of the people online, this woman with a baby, there's a guy who tells his stop story and as they're all standing there waiting, a guy in a clown mask in a Mercedes comes and plows into them, and it's a mass killing, and it's the story of them trying to find this mister Mercedes. And as the years passed, the cops, one of the main cops retires and it's it's but he's not going to give up on it. And it's got a lot of terrific actors in it. Mary Louise Parker is in it. There's just a lot of really terrific acting and it's just a really interesting story. It becomes like it's a psychological thriller that again very very well written. I don't know where I was in twenty seventeen that I didn't know about it, but I'm glad that Peacock has it now. I think it's like three or four seasons of that.
Speaker 2: What did you see SNL fifty.
Speaker 3: I'm not an SNL fan, but I love the movie.
Speaker 1: At the ninety minutes leading I thought they did a great job with the movie, like The nine is leading up to ESNL, I thought it was terrific.
Speaker 2: I thought they did a good job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw some pieces of it. I saw some of the interviews of it. I'm just you know, I don't know why it never resonated with me, but it never. It just never really did not. I don't know what it is about it.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the reality of SNL is that the legend is better than the show, right because it's.
Speaker 2: Hard to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, to do ninety minutes of live television and have everything hit is impossible. And then each cast, as they change over, each cast has to get their groove. You have to get used to it. I mean, everybody loves Weekend Update and I do too. But when those two guys started, you know, you know, Colin and Chi, they sucked and they even talked about it. They did. They go, Yeah, for the first year, we were terrible, you know, yeah, and now they're great.
Speaker 3: So, yes, I've got a great, great groove.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got a great Did you see The Diplomat?
Speaker 3: Of course? Yeah, that's so again. If you haven't seen The Diplomat, that's they just released the the second season of it.
Speaker 2: I've watched the second season. It's awesome. Oh my god. Did you see the final episode of the second season.
Speaker 3: I did, Yeah, I watched the whole thing. Yeah, it's again. It's Kerrie Russell, right, and she's she's not Felicity anymore. All I mean, she is just so incredibly terrific, and her character reminds me a little bit of her character in The Americans right where she has that kind of very savvy sophistication to her. But again very well written. The storyline is really terrific, and you're following the characters and they're all so well developed that you care about everybody you're watching. I don't like when they just focus on one or two characters and you have to just everyone else is just kind of there to support them. The Diplomat is different. I think everybody has their storyline that goes on in it, and it really is about Carrie Russell becoming you know, she's this diplomat and how she kind of negotiates her way through the White House.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a terrific show, and you're right, you care about every character.
Speaker 1: Final question before I let you go, what did you think of Nicki at the Globes?
Speaker 3: Terrific? One of the best hosts that they've had. I thought she was edgy, but not too hedgy, as she said she said, I decided was I'm going to roast them or toast them? And she went with a toast, which I think was smart because had she gone with roasting. It would have been just a little too far for the globes, you know, the way Rickie Gervaide did, which I thought was terrific, but I think it was just too much for regular audiences. I thought she was fought on, she was clever, she was beautiful, she looked great. I just thought she was the perfect toast. I see why they signed her for twenty more years.
Speaker 1: I want to be her friend, yeah, you know. I mean, I'm not like being a pig male like, oh, she's really hot, Yeah, she's attractive. I want to be your friend. I mean, that's it, Like I want to I want to be like her friend.
Speaker 2: And I think that's very likable, very likable.
Speaker 1: Like I want to be your friend. Like And that's why I think she should host it for the next twenty years.
Speaker 3: Cooper, they keep bringing That's why they keep bringing Conan and Brian back to host the Oscars for the same reason. He's so likable that even if you don't like the Oscars, you're watching for Conan.
Speaker 1: I love his podcast. He's so good now. I mean I I think he's at his best with yeah, and he.
Speaker 3: Just they just announced that he's winning the Mark Twain Award this year, so I think he's I think this is really his year. Whatever comeback is about to happen. We are on the precipice of it for Conan.
Speaker 1: Another Boston guy. All Right, Cooper, thank you very much. You are our friend. I appreciate your time and enjoy the Oscars.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Pat, we'll see Lady Cooper. Laurence CBS entertainment reporter. She's fantastic joining us here on WBC. Coming up next, Tanya a Fox. She covers the NFL. She's a podcaster, and she's all over social media with great hot takes on sports. She joins us from Los Angeles. Coming up next on WBC's Night Side,