Speaker 1: He'll be never go be beer. It's the Internet. You're busy.
Speaker 2: Let's do this for August fourteenth to twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Games Mornings Live with me Jeff Grubb. Today we got news about the switch to that game that Valve doesn't want anyone to talk about, and.
Speaker 1: An interesting game getting delayed.
Speaker 2: But first, please join me and welcoming today's co host to Game mess Mornings.
Speaker 1: It's Lucy James. Everybody, Lucy, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Hello? I'm doing all right, Thank you. I was just thinking this is my last show for a couple weeks because I'm going two games Tom.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, we got some games common news. We're talking like there seems like it's going to be a pretty decent show. I'm gonna be able to see some fun stuff. I think Opening Night Live is going to be a good time. So, yeah, you've been to games Com a bunch of times, right, Like as a veteran, what's like, what is your go to like making sure you have a good show over there.
Speaker 3: I think this is my tenth games called Yeah, so in the UK you go all the time because it's such a it's just a hop over the pond. My go to honestly shower more times than you think you need to because it's so hot over there. Last year, I think I averaged two point three showers. Okay, good day.
Speaker 2: Right, there was a couple of days where there were three showers, but at least two showers a day.
Speaker 3: At least two showers a day. Yeah, because it's so it's so hot. Sure, I love games because it's massive.
Speaker 2: Dan and Mike are worried that the hotel won't have air conditioning. Is that a concern that they should have a.
Speaker 3: I think he has that conditioning. Whose hotels have that conditioning? H It's like people's houses don't have that condition right.
Speaker 1: Well, Dan is in a hotel in London right now.
Speaker 2: Can't sleep at night because it doesn't have air conditioning, I guess, or it doesn't work very well, one one or the other. Uh So, But that's you know, that's not Games, that's not Cologne. That's it's not like going for a big industry event.
Speaker 3: It probably has I was goo. I think I think it would be fine also, I mean, yeah, the hotel that I stayed in last year was a car a race car themed hotel, so okay, when you got in the left it would make like a room noise.
Speaker 1: So well, that's incredible.
Speaker 3: That's it was pretty it was so hopefully Donna's staying there. I don't think is, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that'd be ideal for Dan, big race car guy. Yeah, I'm excited for you all. I wish I was able to come next time. I've never been to games Com, so uh, I would like to make that happen sometime. And I don't think I don't know if Dan's been, but b know Mike hasn't been, So you guys can show them a good time, yes, and you guys come back to some fun stuff and we'll put it all the site. I think I really like that. The general idea of Giant Bomb on the road doing bombcasts from Germany and all that stuff, a voicemail dump truck from Germany. That's a really good time. So people should definitely tune in next week for a lot of fun stuff. And then for the home crew we'll be doing Opening Night Live and.
Speaker 1: All that good stuff.
Speaker 2: We'll talk over it and make sure that people can keep up with what's going on as best we can. Well have game Mess Mornings as well, so definitely tune in.
Speaker 1: For all that. Yeah, but when do you take do you like leave like on on the weekend? Next sunks, it's tuesdays when things go. Let's get started, right, what.
Speaker 3: I leave on Monday and I get that Tuesday morning? So snap, okay, getna need to figure that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, good luck with that you guys. I will have a good time, I'm sure though, Well you know, it's just go there and have a good time.
Speaker 1: That's mostly what it's gonna be about. For Giant Bomb, I'm pretty sure you're busy with a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of other stuff, but for the Giant Bob stuff, just make it fun. All right, Let's explain what we do here most weekdays. I, Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you're watching live on twitch welcome, you can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the RSS on GiantBomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube, all right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Switch to is not coming before April twenty twenty five. Devs reportedly say this is from Luis Joshua Gudrierez at GameSpot. A number of developers believe the next Nintendo console may not be released until well into twenty twenty five. While speaking on the GI podcast Games Industry of a podcast, journalist Christopher Dring sought to clear up a popular rumor that Nintendo successor to the Switch may be released by the end of the fiscal year, which ends on March thirty first, twenty twenty five. No developer I have spoken to expects it to launch in this financial year. In fact, they've been told not to expect it in this financial year. A bunch of people I spoke to hope it's out still in April or May, so I guess kind of puts like like a little question mark on what they're being told not this financial year, but they're not getting any other information beyond that. According to these developers who spoke to Christopher Dring, so does it April or May launch? For a switch to sound right to you, or do you expect it to slip further into twenty twenty five?
Speaker 3: Sons right to me. I mean switch was what April seventeen.
Speaker 1: It was like March April?
Speaker 3: Yeah, March April.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds like March, I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean that timeframe kind of makes sense to me if it comes at the end of the financial year or in the next one, that can that yeah around that makes sense to me, Like I feel it was March when shaing, Yeah, that makes sense to me. It feels weird, like I can barely think about what's happening next week alone next year.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: But it also feels like as we get to you know, we're in August, it's going to be September soon. It'd be weird if like that system, like I have a certain point it was like March. It seems impossible because it's just like that's so soon now, like we're almost to the point where that's only six months away, and yet that's kind of the timeframe they operated on with the Switch one. But I just don't know they're going to be able to repeat that because they are going to keep trying to sell the switch, and they were not continuing to sell the WEU. But regardless, I mean, they know they want to get the system out. There's a lot of financial reasons that they want to get it out in terms of the Switch. One is slowing down the switch to they want to have kind of a peaceful transfer of power there and just kind of keep as much momentum going as possible. But I think they're also in a world where, you know, if it is like, oh, suddenly it's coming out in May, like yeah, you could release a new video game system in May, but I think once you get in the summer months, I think Nintendo, even Nintendo would be a little bit more hesitant about that. Like I don't think June July release really is on the table, and I think that would then make it so they'd be like, Okay, never mind, we'll just wait until the fall.
Speaker 1: We'll put it out in September or something like that.
Speaker 2: So I think it's there's a chance to come out in April and May, but if I'm Nintendo, I could easily see them making the decision to slip.
Speaker 1: It later in the year, very easily.
Speaker 2: But either way, like it's going to dominate next year. One of the things that Dring said is that he's worried about the switch to coming out, or the developers are worried about the switch to coming out at the same time as Grand Theft Auto six, because they're like, that would be just a mad crunch that no one would know how to handle, so they're going to try to avoid that. But I don't think Nintendo would care about that, right, No.
Speaker 3: I think out of anyone who would care about it, Nintendo's are probably the people who don't care. I mean Nintendo historically obviously moving towards the family market. GTA definitely doesn't aim to be part of the family market, but the kids love it anyway, I think. No, Yeah, I mean that's you know, depending on if GTA hits Fall. I know they said in the recent earning support that they were still on track, but anything can happen in the next year.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think as easy as it would be for the switch to to slip into the holidays season of twenty twenty five, I think it's even easier for Grand Theft Auto six to go from fall to early twenty twenty six. That seems to me that I'm almost expecting that. And if they you know, they don't have another delay, because right now they've not had a public delay. They've maybe like moved the game around a grand theft out of six internally, but they've said twenty twenty five and that's all they've all.
Speaker 1: They've said.
Speaker 2: Usually that game gets at least one public delay as well, So I you know that series, So.
Speaker 1: We'll we'll see.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I this lines up with what I was expecting from Nintendo after they said publicly in a financial report that they will announce the switch to this fiscal year and so they'll talk about it, but that's all they've ever promised. And once they said that's okay, that means we'll probably get it like a little bit later this year, maybe even something in a trailer early next year, and then they will begin a marketing campaign that leads us easily beyond this fiscal.
Speaker 1: Year, which ends March thirty.
Speaker 2: First things about the switch too, you know, always curious when we have this, when we have these conversations like where your expectations are for price for launch games? Where do you think Ninton is going to sort of lock in on a price for the switch.
Speaker 3: Too, I don't think they'll go too far away from what the switch came in at, like, which is what three hundreds.
Speaker 2: Right, The switch o let is three to fifty, right, So that gives them a little bit of that, gives them a little flexibility and maybe go a little higher, right, I'm expecting for that.
Speaker 3: I would I would say I would. Oh really, I was going to say lower. I was going to say three hundred, like to really lock in that more casual market. I mean, the online for three fifty is a great price. But that's that's the thing that we don't really know anything about this machine, if it's going to be o led or not, if it's going to be Yeah, I don't know. I'm kind of hoping for a little on the lower side.
Speaker 2: I think it's possible when you say that, like, because if they do have it at three hundred, that would be as much as an Xbox Series S, which I don't think Nintendo cares about all that much. But uh, that would probably look really good and I think the system would fly off the shelves at that price. I think that the way I'm looking at is Nintendo has had a three hundred dollars switch and then instead of lowering the price on that thing. They have released a switch oh at a three fifty, so they are trying to edge up the price as like, kind of stealthily as they can. And I think that the reason that they have not lowered the switch is price even as they are missing targets in the system's eight year, eighth year where they said they would sell thirteen point five million units and they've they've missed that so far. They're not on pace they hit that, but no price cut yet. And I think the reason is because they want to maintain a high perceived value for these things so that they can have some flexibility to sell the next system for a little bit more.
Speaker 3: I think I was going to say, yeah, because like the like their games never really lose value, right like.
Speaker 1: This generation especially, Yes, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, three hundred Maybe that's me being optimistic, but three to three to I.
Speaker 1: Think three or four hundre it is the range we're talking about.
Speaker 2: If it is four fifty five hundred them, we're being that's kind of silly.
Speaker 3: That's Steam Deck territory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's you know, it's the other console's territory as well, and for as much as I prioritize the convenience.
Speaker 1: Of portability, I do.
Speaker 2: I think that when you are putting a system on the market and you are presenting it to consumers, the thing that they're not thinking about, oh, it's so convenient to have the system with me at all times.
Speaker 1: Some people will be.
Speaker 2: But I think when people are making when they're doing comparison shopping, when they're trying to think is this thing worth that price, they're the number one thing they look at is how powerful is it? How good do the games look? How well is a third party game going to run? Call of Duty is going to be looking way way better on this system and it costs the same price as the new Nintendo Switch. That's weird, And so I think Nintendo wants to avoid those comparisons where possible. And I think you're right that the appeal to a more casual audience is still a priority, a priority for Nintendo because they've dominated selling games to families and they don't want to lose that. So I think that'll keep them anchored to the ground. At around four hundred and three fifty might be the sweet spot. Honestly, just keep it at three fifty. That's like no complaints there for me. Even if the system doesn't have an o LED screen at launch, then they'd release an OLEAD for four hundred down the line. I could easily see that happening. Yeah, all right, let's move along here. Valve's new game Deadlock has twenty thousand plus concurrent players despite not even being announced yet. This is from Peter Hegabal at Game Reactor. Upcoming Valve game Deadlock is said to be a mix between Overwatch and Vanguard, a Moba inspired hero shooter with aesthetics Barrow, let me turn on the headlines. I just saw someone highlighting that. There you go, everybody, upcoming Valve game Deadlock. Yes, it's a mixed between like Team Portress two and Portal. But beyond the aesthetics are but beyond June's leak, we know nothing more than that. Despite this, and despite the fact that the game hasn't even been announced yet, it has twenty three three thousand peak concurrent players yesterday, which is remarkable to say the least. We can only assume that this gigantic alpha test also means that Valve is ready to show it off in full. Yeah, it seems like this game's got to be announced here pretty soon. I you know, we've seen sort of a a hubblebaloo about this game because The Verge wrote about it yesterday.
Speaker 1: People freaked out.
Speaker 2: It's like, you're not supposed to write about it and you signed an NDA, which some games that.
Speaker 1: Do these, like.
Speaker 2: These early previews, do have that thing where it's like, if you agree, here's a bunch of legal texts, and if you agree to this to play to this, you can't talk about it or there could be some legal action. This game doesn't have that. What it has is as a little message that says can't can't tell your friends, can't tell anybody about this, and that's all it says. Doesn't come at you with a threat of law. It doesn't come. It doesn't like there is definitely no NDA. You don't have to click anything. It doesn't say by playing this game you're agreeing to some contract. It's just a little message being like keep he keep it on the DL's it's silly. So whatever the game exists, twenty thousand people are playing it. What are we supposed to do at a certain point? But I think I get the sense that Valve is gonna announce this thing here pretty soon.
Speaker 1: What do you think? Who?
Speaker 3: I feel so stupid. I feel this is like the one thing I feel massively out of the loop because I must have I must have missed. Was it leaked? It leaked in Juice, So.
Speaker 2: It leaked in June, and then since then, Yeah, we should cover this because I don't think you're not going to be alone in this and I would not have really been paying attention to this had I not gotten an invite.
Speaker 3: I also, let's say I got and invite yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yep, inteh, that's that's we'll go over like the timeline here. But the silliest thing about this idea that people can't like talk about this game because the Valve says you can't talk about it is the way that people are getting into the game is their friends are inviting them through a system in the game.
Speaker 1: Like that is how it works.
Speaker 2: So just by the nature of what they've set up here, you are telling your friends about the game.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: But so, yeah, it was leaked in June, and it was rumored to be a new first person shooter Moba hero shooter from Valve, so all those things that you can met like, yeah, there's gonna be characters with familiar powers. Someone's probably got ice powers and stuff like that, and so that's the leak. And then since then, Valve has started up this invite only alpha test that brings people in and that they can invite their friends, and it's just been growing sort of exponentially, and now we have twenty thousand people playing it each day and at any one time, so there's actually more people per.
Speaker 1: Day playing that.
Speaker 2: It is, you know, by all accounts, very much a MOBA and very much a first person shooter that it like will have a lot of similarities to Valorant or to Overwatch, but it's gonna have all that Valve shine on it likely, so it does seem like it has a good chance of dominating.
Speaker 1: And you know, they.
Speaker 2: Are the people that are like being coy about it on Twitter. I've seen being like, you know, Redacted is one of the best games I played since Overwatch. So people are having positive vibes about this thing.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you think Valve's strategy here is though?
Speaker 2: Like, do you I mean, do you think they really mind that people are so excited they can't help but talk about this game.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing, because they saw Tom Warren stuff. So Tom Warren wrote impressions up for The Verge, that's right, and then apparently he's now banned from matchmaking in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it's just a gamer, if it's in uh on Steam in a total, because I'm wonder if like, does Valve have the ability to just block you from one game?
Speaker 1: They probably do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, so they like they did like punish him for writing about the game.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh sorry, So hang on, Tom didn't write the article, but it was whoever who wrote the article. I saw Tom was the one defending it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because it's the Verge article and Tom's over at the Verge. Yeah, se Sean Hollster Okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, strange.
Speaker 2: I imagine that band's probably not gonna be permanent or anything because.
Speaker 3: Just this game ban apparently, and Miluk says it happens to everyone who posts screens.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so it's just kind of a normal thing here where they're like, okay, they'll stop you from playing the game to kind of slap you on the wrist a little bit. So if it's not like a Steam account band, like, they're not taking it too seriously. Either way, the game does seem ready. Yeah, it's weird, it's strange, and I think, I mean, it's building a mystique around the game right where.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows this thing exists.
Speaker 2: There's everyone you know is playing it except for you, and so you're, well, I got to go check it out, like like that's uh. It feels like a marketing strategy, and I guess fair play to them. But then when someone writes about it, people should not run to the defense of Valve and being like that this precious marketing strategy must be protected at all costs.
Speaker 1: Let's get real people.
Speaker 2: But hey, you're allowed to feel however you want to feel, and I'm allowed to think you're being an absurd.
Speaker 1: Baby child if that's how you feel about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, my morning.
Speaker 1: It looks great, looking great? Had it?
Speaker 3: Thanks? I don't know. Whole things are just a very weird rollout, very very strange to see the kind of back and forth on it. I think maybe you know, do what you want to do. I just don't think I'm going to spend any of my energy.
Speaker 2: And if people are curious, you can watch people just fucking streaming the thing on TikTok at YouTube and Twitch all the time. I'm not sure exactly what category you find it under, but people have been reporting that you can watch people stream it every day, so.
Speaker 1: It's out there.
Speaker 2: Uh, all right, let's keep going. Games Calm Opening Night Live will include new game announcements. This is from Tom Ivan at VGC games Com. Opening Night Live will include new game announcements as well as updates I'm previously revealed titles. That's according to show host and producer Jeff Keeley, who used Twitter on Tuesday to tease plans for next week's event. Some of the previously announced games set to be featured include Call of Duty, Black Ops six, Monster Hunter, Wild's Indiana Jones, and The Great Circle. Sid Meier's Civilization Civilization seven.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Sevenalization is what I wanted to say there for some reason, Marvel, right.
Speaker 3: But Sevenalization works. I think you should make it and then.
Speaker 2: Well's okay, that's what we're calling it from now on, everybody, uh and do an awakening. These are the games that have been confirmed to like make an appearance here. But he also said yes, there will also be new game announcements. Uh in a follow up post. That's not even something that he was like promising too much of at Summer Game Fest, games Calm, Opening Night Live has always been sort of it goes. Honestly, it's like a lot of Achille shows, except for the Game Game the Game Awards, which seems to always get big hit big hitters Summer Game Fest.
Speaker 1: Opening Night Live just kind of rises with the tide.
Speaker 2: Right If there are lots of games waiting to, uh like make their big public debut, the show does really well with that stuff. And if there's not, there's nothing that Killy can do about it. So sounds like some people are getting ready to some studios getting ready to announce some things and it lined up with Opening Night Live.
Speaker 1: What are your expectation levels for this show are you?
Speaker 2: Do you get excited for Opening Night Live or you kind of might try to keep things in check to be like, listen, I'm happy to just have updates on things that have already been announced.
Speaker 3: I think Opening Night Live and as well Summer Game First, for me, are exciting in a different way than the Game Like the Game Awards is the big hitters, right is the big big stuff is at the end of the year, and so I kind of keep my expectations in check for what Opening NightLive and even Summer game first are you going to be? I always think Jeff puts on a good show, and like you said, it's not up to him when development cycles aligne or marketing strategies aligned with shows. I mean, obviously devs and publishers and marketers are looking at the calendar and being like, hey, when is the best place to release something, release a new asset or a trailer. I'm intrigued by it. I also wonder because I mean, I don't I think I just landed and I went to sleep straight away at Opening Night Live last year, so I didn't actually watch it live. But there is kind of a different vibe about games, like games Come used to be you would have it. Used to be you'd have E three in June, and then you would have all of these showcases and then you'd have even more of them. You'd like you have PlayStation whoever would do it again it games come, So games Come as always kind of felt like, oh it's another event. It's you know, it's never going to be as big as what E three was. And now I think the E three hype train has moved into into gamerwolds.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and it feels like it like spread hype, right, like.
Speaker 3: The amount of hype it's just spread out throughout the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, all right, all the stuff that would have been focused on E three is now like mostly fizzled into Summer Game Fest, but some of that has also spilled over.
Speaker 1: Into Opening Night Live.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think a lot of developers and publishers are probably welcoming that because gives them a few more options to select where they are going to line up these things, because it's got it had to be a pain back in the day to make these assets, and today it's got to be a tremendous challenge to be like, oh, okay, let's get this development team to come over here and spend two months, probably a lot more than that getting something ready for E three because E three is gonna happen. When it happens, it's like, now, well if we miss that, Keighley's got two other things later this year, and we could probably get in there because we have a good relationship with one of these big studios and it's not gonna cost us a lot of money to be in the show now. Also, Lexi's pointing out, like attending games come a lot more affordable than maybe even like summer game fests and some other stuff like that. So that also makes sense to be like, that's why a lot of these companies are probably going to be showing their games off to the press there. And I think that is excellent as well, because we are getting to that point of the year now where some of these games are just gonna be here before we know it. Indiana Jones is one of the bigger ones that'll probably get like a release date and stuff like that. Oh so yeah, it was about time. But beyond that, like in terms of the new game announcements, Lucy, it is like, where are your expectation levels for those specifically, Like if you have any guesses, feel free, but like, are you expecting the biggest of the big games where it's like, oh so maybe some surprises, maybe some indie games that'll be exciting.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think surprises. I think a mix of indies and I think of and I think a mix of like it's something interesting that we maybe haven't like suspected for a while. I also wonder if these if these are going to be games that are more cater towards like the European market, just obviously because given the proximity to games come things like obviously simulator games, et cetera. As strategy games tend to do better in Europe. Obviously, they have their fans over in America. Don't get me wrong, but like, you know, I don't think everyone would be I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I want to say, there's usually like a farming simulator booth at games Com, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, there is. So a few years ago when I was a games comm Angela Merkel was there and she was at the farming simular. She was at the farming simpols.
Speaker 1: Oh that rules.
Speaker 2: So I don't know Engl Merkel, former Leader of the Free World. Everybody. Yeah, I still want to go to games Com. That's kind of stuff that makes you want to go. I think they didn't they have like those giant tractors or whatever they're called, comas compresses whatever, combines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Combine Harvesters, thank you, James.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Combine Harvester Weekly Reader. Lucy James over here, Lucy Grains. It's a Lucy games There we go, all right, games cob coverage. We'll be coming on this site on game spots to stick around for all of that we'll have plenty to talk about. I'm sure. I again very excited to hear everyone's reports from the ground. The tentative plan for the talkover is I'll get some some chuckle fucks together, we'll get me back law, We'll probably have Sean Nikky, we'll see who's available. We'll talk over it. But as it wraps, we'll try to get you all in on discord and you can patch you Santa te Us what your thoughts are worth it from the ground.
Speaker 1: So and then yeah, lots.
Speaker 3: Of if I'm awake at that point, exactly who island at tenth in the morning, am, odds are on me being awake until ten at night.
Speaker 2: Jacobs to take a picture of you before you go to bed, and you could just hold that up while he's while he's talking, because I won't let Jane go to sleep.
Speaker 3: So there you go, just the saddest person in Germany with me.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a quick break when we get back, some other announcements, and I'm gonna be like kind of sad about this crow movie looks really bad. It's gonna be in call of duty. Well right back after this, all right, we are back and let's talk about a delay for Replaced, which is now coming in twenty twenty five. This is from Sal Ramano at Kamatsu publisher Coach Sync and developer Sad Cat Studios have delayed science fiction retro futuristic action platform or Replaced from its previously planned twenty twenty four release window to twenty twenty five. It will still be available on Xbox and PlayStation piece Oh no, Xbox, Yeah, that's right. It's Xbox series, Xbox One and PC and the Epic Game Store, and it will be available through Epic Game Pass. I think Microsoft's helping out. So maybe it's not on PlayStation or switch at first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was in the isn't that.
Speaker 1: You're breaking up a little bit? Lucy? Start that one again. I think you're back now. So it was in what now right Replaced?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, isn't that Bok showcase right replaced? Or was it in some I forget?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was one of those I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I can't remember exactly was, but I do remember, like I remember seeing it, like, oh yeah, this game was announced a long time ago, I think, and it looked really stunny and I got some video I'll bring up here for everybody here, and then let me just get that going.
Speaker 1: Uh. It still looks really great. I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: About this, but it's also one of those that seems like it needs as much time as possible because these indie studios that have this level of perfection that they're going for, they have a vision, they want to nail it, and this thing has a ton of style, and I think if they do get everything right, it has the chance to be a breakout hit, I think, so I don't blame them there. I think there were some reviews recently that mentioned, hey, it it is very cool, but performance isn't great, So they're to the concern.
Speaker 3: There some game first it was it was next to Stalker right on the show floor.
Speaker 2: I remember that, yes, so uh yeah, where that makes sense because those are both both Xbox things. So ye, Lucy, I think we're losing you again. You there, Okay, I'll keep I'll.
Speaker 3: Keep trudging along, dude, keep keep going, yep, I'll keep Can I leaven come back as I can mess you?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? No, You're fine, go ahead and do that right now. You're all good. Oh man, there's Curby, So let's go over here, all right, let's I'm gonna actually just hit this next one. The Crow is coming to Call of Duty next week. This is from Tom Ivan at VGC Activision has begun teasing a Call of Duty crossover with the Crow, confirming an earlier week. The video below suggests an operator based on the Crow will be released from Modern Warfare three and war Zone on August twenty second, as part of Call of Duty Season five reload.
Speaker 1: Oh there we go, let's see here. Okay, Lucy, have you seen the preview for this new The.
Speaker 3: Crow doesn't look good, does it?
Speaker 2: It doesn't look very good. And that's really I think the big problem is it. Listen, it looks better than a lot of the sequels to the original Crow. But and the Edward Furlong. I think Edward Furlong did a Crow.
Speaker 1: Maybe someone did a Crow movie. It was really bad, But that character is so iconic for me.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, And I think, like kind of maybe they given the generation right before me, like a very gen X like icon and they just don't have the juice for this new movie at all with it when it comes to that. So I saw this headline the Crow is coming to Call of Duty. Fantastic. I love the Crow and then I remember it. Oh it's the New Crow with Bill Scars guard and I'm one of the Scars guards.
Speaker 3: I don't know, and uh yeah, which, yeah they are remake you Crow, remake Scars is Bill an fk fka Twigs is in it? That guy from Danny Houston who was in Black Maras in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It seems like it has a sort of level of interest from good actors and everything and even filmmakers that I thought maybe there's a chance, okay, probably, I mean, hold.
Speaker 3: Up, this is directed by the guy who did Ghost in the Shell.
Speaker 2: Oh no, okay, well, so that's going to be about Oh no, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Well listen, the movie's probably going to be bad. It almost certainly is going to be bad.
Speaker 2: But I like, I was, Hey, the Crow looks cool, make him look cool, and they just don't even have that. So uh bummed out that this Call of Duty event is going to have that Crow and not the original Brandon Lee Crow. Brendan Lee, I should say, I yeah, big fan. And if people haven't seen that, that's that's a good, good movie. Go watch that original.
Speaker 3: Crow looking looking at the new The New Crow's Wikipedia page apparently Bradley Cooper was in talks to play the lead. This is back in twenty eleven, rumors of Channing Tatum and Ryan Gosling, James McAvoy, ooh, it was a Weinstein joint. Uh. Tom Hiddleston was in talks. Alexander scarsguard was in talks. Okay, oh my god, Okay. If you look at the development of this movie, it's, oh my god, Yeah, this is a this is a meaty read. And then and then yeah, like Bill Scars getting right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of vaguely remember this. So this was like troubled for quite some time.
Speaker 1: I heard a lot going on. Yeah, Channing Tatum would have been a good crow. That's right. Chat.
Speaker 2: I've not seen Deadpool versus Wolverina or whatever it's called.
Speaker 1: Uh, have you seen anything?
Speaker 3: I was streaming it on TikTok. I'm not going to Okay, someone who was streaming it on TikTok last night as I was scrolling, they were just playing the whole movie. I fully, you know what. On FPS last week Jake and Ralph were talking about it, and I think I must have pulled a face because so many comments were like, why does Lucy Hey Deadpool, and it's like, I just think I don't like Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my wife was telling me this in the car the other day. She also just doesn't like Ryan Reynolds, And I'm like, I think I'm just no argument. Yeah exactly, it's the same shtick. And so if you're over it, what else does he got?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: I get that some people, well many people think he's very handsome. I think he's very handsome, but that's also gonna wear off overtime. There's a lot of handsome people that don't do that stick. So yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I probably will see that movie at some point, but might wait till it comes home.
Speaker 3: But also it feels like it feels like Hugh Jackman was a very nice, polite boy and he is being he's becoming annoying through pure association with Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Reynolds's stick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like the idea is like he yells at him a lot in the movie, but you're still right, like he's being tanketed a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been tanged by association. And also just leave Rob mclaney alone, Leave him alone.
Speaker 2: Did you see the there was a clip of Rob mcaleney and Glenn doing a talk on a stage.
Speaker 1: And so about Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 3: Glenn's face just drops immediately drops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, buddy, it's like, oh my god, disgusting.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Bill Starskart's The Crow is going to be in Call Duty because we just live in a weird time and that's the kind of thing we deal with. Lionsgate doing that Crow movie. I think they also did border Lands, so they might have something, might have a real bad twenty twenty four. They might just be done with movies after this.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I might go back to making Gates for lions I don't know what business they were in originally, but this is this is gonna be a rough time for them. So good luck with that, all right. Fallout New Vegas director says he would lead a new Fallout game if granted creative freedom. This from Jordan Miller at BGC. Fallout New Vegas director Josh Sawyer has said that he'd work on a new Fallout title as long as certain creative criteria were met. In the second of his recently launched Q and A series on his YouTube channel, the Pentiment director said he would happily return to Fallout depending on the level of creative freedom he'd be granted. Any project has to do with what are we doing? What are the boundaries? What am I allowed to do and not allowed to do? Sawyer said when asked by a fan about returning to the series. I think with any IP, especially one I've worked with before, what do I want to do this time that I wasn't able to do last time? If those constraints are just really constraining, then it's not appealing because who wants to work on something where the one thing they want to explore is not possible. Enthusiasm for more Fallout titles from the team behind New Vegas has been growing for years. Last year, original Fallout co creators Tim Kane and Leonard Boyarsky expressed their enthusiasm for a potential New Fallout New Vegas remaster. The longtime partners, who most recently co directed Obsidians the Outer Worlds, told The Gamer that they'd be keen to see the studio's twenty ten Fallout game revisited, not that it's up to me, but would in a graphical remaster fall Out New Vegas be awesome, Kane said in an interview.
Speaker 1: It would be awesome. We Aarsky agreed.
Speaker 2: So the thing with Josh Sawyer is he's like kind of sick of just doing the work for higher thing or coming in and working on someone's project that he's not interested in, so he's got to be very interesting.
Speaker 1: He said this publicly as well.
Speaker 2: That's why Pentiment was the project he ended up working on last time, because it's something that's interested him, interested him, and he had the freedom to do it at Obsidian.
Speaker 1: So I imagine they would have to match.
Speaker 2: That level of oh you want to get into your specific bullshit, Josh, okay, you could do that and use the Canvas or Fallout or fall Out New Vegas two.
Speaker 1: Whatever it would be.
Speaker 2: But the fact that he's even saying this publicly is going to I think haunt him maybe not be the right word.
Speaker 1: He's saying it publicly.
Speaker 2: He's clearly kind of seems to want to do this, But if it doesn't happen, people are going to bring this up for the rest of his life now because they want him to make this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, maybe it'll push Microsoft into actually green lighting and you, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I think much more than anybody, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, maybe this will help move it ahead. No, I mean, oh god, I you know, we talk to developers all the time. Imagine just like you made one game and that's all anyone asks you about for so so long, and then like yeah, getting to you know maybe and then and then imagine like twelve years later, a massive acquisition happens, people like, hey, you make another one, you make another one, you make it another one. I'm glad he's like got this on the record so that he can point to it. Yeah, because I imagine he just must guess, he must just get asked it all the time. Be really cool though, Like I mean, there's so much good momentum behind Fallout right now, especially after the TV show seventy six is doing really well. There's an't like the time would be now to go back to New Vegas, especially given the t's at the end of the fall Out TV show.
Speaker 1: YEP. I think yes, And I think that.
Speaker 2: It feels like the right project for the right team, with the right direct director for Microsoft, Like everything just feels like it's lining up, where like Fallout is at its its zenith in terms of cultural route relevancy.
Speaker 1: Z Oh yeah, that's one of my favorite favorite TV brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the show is like clearly responsible for a lot of that, but New Vegas is also at a peak of its own in terms of people's like looking back at that and loving it more and more and more and getting more of their friends to play and more people sort of looking back at like that was great, and it's the specific kind of game that we want more of from Fallout. Not necessarily more, but that's the style. And I think but this is at a point also where they're like a little bit licking their wounds after Starfield minor wounds. I don't know however big the wounds are, who knows, but like licking of wounds. And they are also so busy that they know they can't get to a Fallout very soon. So again just say it feels like circumstances have lined up to lead to this maybe happening. And as I've said before, I know Obsidian Microsoft have had a conversation about some sort of New Vegas fallow love, not anything more than that as far as I'm aware, I don't know, but they definitely have talked about it. So yeah, maybe this could happen.
Speaker 1: I think that would be excellent to see all right.
Speaker 2: A report that the gaming market continues to grow despite all of the cuts. This is from Marcus Person at Game Reactor. The past two years have been trying to say the The past two years have been trying to say the least for the gaming industry. Redundancies, downsizing, and enclosures have become commonplace news headlines. Last year, over ten thousand people lost their jobs. In between January and July. This year, a further eleven two hundred people were made redundant. But despite these gloomy figures, the gaming market is growing, with new figures showing an increase in global turnover. Game industry dop IS reports in an expected annual turnover of one hundred and eighty seven point seven billion dollars, which is certainly less than expected, but still an increase of two point one percent compared to twenty twenty three. In addition, the PC segment is predicted to grow the most, which is attributed to weak console launches and increased support for cross play. Lucy, this sounds about right. This continues to sound like where the industry is at.
Speaker 1: These companies are still making a lot of money.
Speaker 2: They're they and they're making it's growing it's maybe not growing as fast as inflation, but it's right there. It's not too far behind that, so that that you know they're there. Maybe they're a little bit feeling the pressure there, but they are growing. But I think the question has been where is the growth happening? Because I think we see the growth happening in a handful of games, and then anything outside of that sphere is going to be like, you are good luck making your money back on your game, it feels like, and that's like, yeah, so the the central part of gaming continues to grow taller, and then meanwhile all of like the fertile land that used to be out there for everyone to come in there and make a game and sell it has sort of that continues to fall away.
Speaker 1: That's how I'm reading it. How does it feel to you?
Speaker 3: It just feels like, as of anything, line must go up. Yeah, look at look, I mean, you know the Google figures about you know, they had thousands of layoffs and then they still made billions in profit book water It's it's just as capitalist healthscape do we live in, were you know, breaking even and doing well and doing well enough to survive isn't enough. The line always has to go up and people have to suffer on yep.
Speaker 2: And when they are looking at like, oh, it's only two percent growth and that isn't keeping up with inflation.
Speaker 1: What's something we can.
Speaker 2: Do to improve our bottom line of how much we're actually bringing in? Like the top line's fine, plenty of revenue, that's all great, but the bottom line wasn't looking so good.
Speaker 1: So what can we do. Let's lay off you know, a bunch of people.
Speaker 2: And that's you know, continues to be the frustrating thing that you know, it wasn't always this way. I say this before there was a time where layoffs to protect your bottom line was just never even an option for hundreds of years. And we've had companies for a very long time and that was just something they never did until relatively recently. And now it's become an epidemic and we can't sort of turn off that faucet. That said, the industry, like the interest from people to play games is to very high. People spending money on that hobby still very high. I think the industry is just sort of put themselves in a corner with we have these forever games and now they're like, oh shit, people are playing these games forever and some means all the growth is really focused in these very specific areas. How do we sort of introduce new things to enable the industry to grow even more and get these people spend money on multiple games like that, and it's like, oh, they don't do that. People just want their one hobby game. You've given them, given them that, and now the industry is sort of suffering for a lack because of its own success, which is just like I feel like a lot of people did predict that we would end up here.
Speaker 3: Suffering from success.
Speaker 2: Suffering from statistics, so just like us, right, But I think that this industry is going to have to just kind of like there will be growing pains with this. They're just gonna have to deal with these pains and figure out what it looks like on the other side. And at a certain point, I do think the interest in a handful of games will wan enough that some new thing, some shiny new a bell will come up long, it'll ring and people will start paying attention to that. But is that going to happen to fall Out or Fortnite anytime soon?
Speaker 3: Probably not, right, No, It's it's also weird, like if you look, if you follow Matt Biscuiteler and see all the Saikana reports, like every every month, it's six of the top ten are games that were released five years ago.
Speaker 1: Yep, five years Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so it's like, it's weird that they have all of the attention. They dominate the the mind share, I guess, and the zeitgeist, and there's just I don't know, it's weird. It's tougher than ever because anyone, anyone can put something on Steam. It's you know, the amount of games that are being put on that platform every single day, cutting through the noise. It's tough. So now I'm hoping for a few more games to really pop off same years.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, here's again that could pop off. Dragon h vlgar release date is coming tomorrow. So this is a tweet.
Speaker 1: Let me open this right now and see what they said here loading.
Speaker 2: The release date for Dragon Age the Veilguard will be revealed tomorrow. We're excited to share this moment with our fans with the release date trailer, and in the coming weeks will also have high level Warrior Combat Gameplay Companions Week and more Man Companions Week. People are gonna be fucking out out of pocket on that one Dragon h Veilguard. I've heard weeks ago. October is what they were aiming for, but that was always like aiming for. It could go either way, could come earlier, it could come later, but October is what.
Speaker 1: They were aiming for. So I'm still expecting that.
Speaker 2: You know, they have in fact, they have a lineup here of stuff that's happening. Oh, Companions Week is August twenty sixth, and Developer Discoord Q and A is later in August, and then September three. We have an ign first and then something else in September, and that kind of makes it feel like they're leading up to something happening in October.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. You are a.
Speaker 2: Dragon age freak, right, Lucy James. Are you excited about this?
Speaker 3: I am? Yeah. I hosted the Companions panel it Comic Car, right, you did, so, I yeah, I got to. I got to meet the actors behind some of the new companions and learn a little bit about what they're going to be. Like, I'm very excited. I'm yeah. It's uh, I don't know, like it's been ten years since Inquisition and Trespasser like ended on a big old cliff high and so I'm I'm super stoked and also like, I'm just very glad that they're not doing the multiplayer stuff. It is all single player. It's going to be everything I've seen of it I'm really really excited for. So I just can't wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like they made a lot of real of the right choices when they were confronted with like two paths to take, and they're like, yeah, we should go with what we what were good at. We con track some new stuff in that space, but a sh you go with the single player narrative RPG that that we are known for. That trailer that did get revealed at Summer Game Fest wherever it was it was, I know a lot of people were like, this is not what I was asking for, But that's not the game, right. That was a cinematic trailer that has very little to do with how the game is actually going to look and feel and play. Right, So, as someone who's seen a little bit more of it, because they did do so, like they shoved people at Summer Game pest the game a little.
Speaker 3: Bit when I saw the first hour.
Speaker 2: So you saw the first hour, right, so coming out of that, and then you know, talking to people who are working on the game, how are you feeling about it? You say you're excited. Do you think people should be concerned about that trailer or you're like, no, Hey, Dragon Age fans, I think it's gonna be okay.
Speaker 3: That trailer is a tone piece. I don't think it's very I mean it's I think I'm just gonna I'm gonna say it the hero's choice. The day of Bowie Heroes, I was like, oh, don't do that. It's like, it's a personal bugbear of mine. If you if you're watching a TV show, Lady Jane Gray calling you out on this, if your character is in any way rebellious and you play the song Rebel Rebel by David Bowie, I think you should never be allowed to work in film and TV again.
Speaker 2: I think any sort of literal soundtrack that is the same what is happening?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: The one that it comes to I always is Captain Marvel or whatever is I'm Just a Girl by No.
Speaker 3: Doubt, which hadn't even been released by when the movie was set. Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, dude. When I saw when I saw Captain Marvel. I was like, okay, okay, yeah, it's fine. This is the when I started falling out of love with Marvel. And then the just a Girl drop and I was like, I hate this, Like I almost stood up and left. I didn't because it was at the end of the movie. But you know, it's just like all the other songs exist anyway, and so the dragon and trailer definitely had an element of that where it was like, you could just be a different song, like but I think from what I saw and like the way that they're talking about doing the first hour where it's like the quote that they said is that they wanted the first hour of Vail Guard to be like the ending of any other game.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, So that's yeah.
Speaker 3: They do do some cool shit at the end at the end of the prologue. But the thing about Dragon Age, the thing that is really the thing that makes the franchise connect with people and with me in particular, are the companions. And so I'm super excited that they have this Companion's week. Yeah, I'm really excited about it. I'm just I just want to get into like I've been playing a lot of smaller games recently, and I just really want to get into a big long.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that game is going to hit the exact right time. I think there's a good chance that that is like the big ball game for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Rebel.
Speaker 2: Rebel and sympathy for Sympathy for the Devil are definitely two songs I would put on the mount rushmore of songs that can't be used in movies anymore.
Speaker 3: You know what, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna say, I'm at the paint at the point, I'm at the point where the Wilhelm scream is just a yeah.
Speaker 1: It's too noticeable at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's two used any game.
Speaker 1: Still.
Speaker 2: I think when I hear in a game, I'm not expecting it, But in a movie it's too much.
Speaker 1: All right, let's hit this. Yeah, last couple here, the last one right here.
Speaker 2: Sakarai says that he basically did not make Smash Brothers because he beat someone so bad in King of Fighters ninety five and that had no influence on Smash Brothers. This just reminded Nintendo News super Smash Brothers creator Massa Hero. Sakarai recently recited and experience that they had in the arcades back in the day, which when people heard it years ago, believed that it influenced the nature of the Super Smash Brothers franchise. However, turns out that this rumor is incorrect. He recently debunked the long running rumor on his personal account on Twitter. Here's what happened, he said. A challenger jumped into the game. I went on to fight them, and this in King of Fighters ninety five. I went on to fight them and landed my moves with style with Takuma Sazaki Sakazaki. I jumped then did a strong bunch uppercut ku on ken hai en shupu kayuku and a zaren suzukin listen, I don't know, a fancy, flashy combo with three special moves one right after the other. But something was off. Sack ripe again. The other side wasn't fighting back. When I took a peek over at the other side, I was surprised to find a run of the mill couple sitting there. The girlfriend was with the one plane. I couldn't help but think I messed up, Like basically, they're just trying to have a good time and he's sitting there doing his awesome triple special move and like thinking he's got hot shit, but people thought that that was the thing that He's like, Okay, I want to make sure everyone always has fun in Super Smash Brothers, And he says he does think that, but that's not the reason why. When playing games with other people, I make it a point to be as kind as possible to beginner level players. Some say it's impolite to hold back, but that's just not true. Some rumors have suggested that Super Smash Brothers was created as a result of the story I discussed in this episode, but I can confirm that's not the case. This experience had no influence on the concept behind Smash Brothers. I do like the idea that people are like, why Smash Brothers the way it is? Maybe it's cause Sakra I just beat the hell out of these people so bad, and he felt terrible and he wanted to make a more friendly game, and it's like, well, have you met Smash Brothers players.
Speaker 1: They're not friendly either, So that's not the case.
Speaker 3: I know. I recently played Smash when we were shooting star players against money Exchange, and I got absolutely destroyed. And so I can confirm. Yeah, it doesn't matter how cute and cuddly those characters are. A defeat is still a defeat.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And those people have to play the game that way where it's like, you know, it's one on one, no items, they are playing a different game. Absolutely all right. That does it for the headlines. I got a pull question. I will get up here in a second. Well I'm doing that, Lucy James. Why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet what you have going on?
Speaker 1: Tell people about Star Players all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so find me everywhere, Lose James. Games. We have a new episode of Jeff Jeff's was our adventure going up to day I believe maybe one of my least favorite Jojo episodes. It was just it was just one of those weird ones where they just it felt like a bit of a weird side story. But getting back into the good stuff in the second episode, so it's overall it's a very fun episode of Jeff Jeff Sorry Adventure going to games come next week. Star Players is still going. So this week there is a very fun chat with me and Rahul Coley, who is from I Zombie, Midnight Mass Mike Flannil projects. He's also in a bunch of video games. And I will say we did record this well before the SAG strike. Yeah, Rahul is a very a very fun chat. We also like there was a point where he and I just kind of riffed like Alan Partridge stuff for about half an hour, and one of the editors notes was literally just like we have to cut all this. I again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're back now, It's all right, all right, let's see here. Poll question from Monday, do you want to support dual screen or do you want Nintendo to support dual screen gaming on the switch to? Fifty eight percent said no, forty two percent said yes. So I I think if Nintendo can do this without getting in its own way and not causing problems, and I think specifically enabling publishers who don't want to support dual screens to release games for the Switch without.
Speaker 1: Issue and where we go we got Lucy back now, then I think I think this is just fine. I think they should support it.
Speaker 2: But if they if they cannot like release a switch to without like the dual screens being a problem where it's like no, you have to support that, and that this is accord of the experience, then I don't want them.
Speaker 1: To do it. Just ignore it. Just don't don't do that at all.
Speaker 2: Actually, all right, new poll question. I'll get it written here for you in a second, gan to get it posted. But we're gonna do when do you think the switch to is coming out? And we'll go with April May, and then we'll put like a vague summary time and then.
Speaker 1: We'll put fall. So those be or four options and we'll get the results of that.
Speaker 2: I'll talk about on Game Miss Mornings on Giant Bomb tomorrow. Speaking to Giant Bomb. As Lucy mentioned, we'll have more Jeff Jeff's coming. We will have a Delight Club later today because Blake Club cannot happen because Dan went to the UK for some reason and he won't. I think they'll all be in Germany next week, so no Blake Club next week either, but this week we'll do a Delight Club. I think we're gonna play Dake Katana, but for Game Boy Color. We're gonna play for Game Boy Color this time, so it's gonna be a little bit better. Well, we might mess around with some other Gen Romero games and then anything else happening. We'll have a voicemail dump truck on Thursday. Of course, we might play some Fortnite the Marvel characters. The X Men characters got released, and you know Jan's got to play as Cyclops, so we want to give him that.
Speaker 1: Maybe we could do all Cyclops. I'm not sure Jam will let us do that. Well.
Speaker 2: The PCR where me and Jam will talk about our review of the Borderlands movie because we both saw that and I can't just I can't have done that for nothing, Lucy, I.
Speaker 3: Know everything has to have a purpose that I'm really sorry that you guys went through that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, boy, go see it everybody. I don't want to be alone, all right. I think that is going to do it for us today, Lucy James, thank you so much for speaking with me about video games today.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I mean god, so I got my Internet. The thing is is that I think it's just Discord because everything else was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll try a different server next time, closer to your place. See if that helps.
Speaker 2: Thank you all for watching, Thank you all for listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, Take care of yourself and goodbye