Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show, idiot. The kids are playing or turn at the countries.
Speaker 3: Are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee? All right, let's get this thing started. Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome in to a Thursday edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I feel like I'm flying blind. I feel like I'm kind of naked to start the show, which I'm not, although I did just probably give you a mental visual there and you're welcome. But my headphones were tangled up. My ear Here we go, Here we go? All right, now I can hear myself. My headphones got all tangled up. But I didn't want to delay the start of the show any longer because I'm ready to get this thing started today. I'm getting not nervous, I'm not nervous about this Louisville Georgia Tech game because you know, I kind of feel like when you don't really know exactly I mean. Look, I'll say it, my confidence in this game for Louisville is really based solely off of me being a Louisville fan and me believing in my team and my coach, because realistically speaking, we haven't seen Louisville in any way be tested, as we've talked about all week and even last week, So I don't know if you could be nervous when you truly have zero clue like what the I mean. I guess you can still be nervous, but you know, if Louisville ends up playing a close game in losing, I'll be disappointed. But I'm not even sure if I would be able to say I'm like stunned because Georgia Tech, I think is shown to be a pretty good team.
Speaker 3: Louisville.
Speaker 2: I think they are a good team, but I don't know that for sure yet, and that's why we got to see what happens in this test. I think the best way to describe this, John is I'm anxious for this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I felt the exact same way last week when Indiana was going to be traveling the UCLA. Obviously they had a lot of good, you know, good reaction from the first two weeks, but that was the first real test for them, like are they maybe not the real deal, but are they taking that step forward with a new head coach. And now this is Louisville's chance to see if they're going to continue to be what they hope is a really good season under Jeff Brahmin their second year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I've tried my best to not give off, not that any of you would really care. I mean, I mean, I hope you care of my opinion. That's why you listen to the show. Hopefully you find entertainment and how wrong I can be at times with my opinion, but like, I'm not down on Louisville. I'm not doubting them. It's not even like I'm somebody did a good job yesterday on the text line sort of you know playing psychologists, which hey I need that. I need all the mental help I can get psychologist, you know, therapist, whatever, But maybe like the reason I keep overdoing it as far as like hey, everybody, chill out, I'm not I'm not saying I'm not confident. I'm not saying I'm like worried. Maybe that's like, actually, maybe that's a tell you know what I mean, the deep dewn I am, But I won't internally let myself realize that that's the case.
Speaker 1: I think you feel like you shouldn't be worried about this.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, absolutely, that's I mean, that's that and and I'm not worried. I just I don't think Georgia Tech's a good enough team that they could come in here and win if Louisville doesn't play well, you know, And I think they will play well, hopefully they play better than well. They hopefully they play really good. And it's a really nice start to acc action for the Cards. But I'm really impressed with Brent Key. I mean I have been really since even since last year when he got them, you know, heading in the right direction in his first season, and in our conversation yesterday with Chad Bishop from the Atlanta Journal Constitution, I think even I honestly feel like I'm even more impressed with him after that just just kind of getting to me. There's some similarity with him and Brahm as far as how they get their guys ready to play. There's not a whole lot of I mean, and I think this is kind of the new age for college coaches. You can't really be the old school. You know, let me break them down, Like, you know, you can be hard on players, you can demand a lot out of them, you can challenge them, but the days of like being able to just completely manipulate them and just you know, trying to think of the right way to describe it without acting like you're abusing players. But like, guys will just leave now if you do that, So you got to be relatable. You've got to be genuine. And these players can sense that. Man, they can and you used to be able to really just lie to them and mislead them and maybe maybe show them a side of you that wasn't you for ninety percent of the time while you're recruiting them. But then when they get to campus, they're stuck with you. They're stuck there. They can't leave, they don't want to go sit out, they're not you know, they're not making any money because it wasn't an IL at that time. So you know, like I think there's some similarities there, and I think. I mean, and the numbers prove it. This team under Brent Key is really good in these spots, and there's not a humongous amount of data to run with because again, this is Brent Keys. What is this? So Georgia Tech's played three games?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Four games? Yeah? They've is that right?
Speaker 3: Four?
Speaker 1: They played in week zero and they haven't had a bye week. Yeah, that's okay, that's why, that's why it doesn't make sense. But yes, so they've played four games. He coached thirteen last year, so he's seventeen games into his tenure as a head coach at Georgia Tech. And you know, let me just pull up the numbers here to reference. You know, he's he's been really good in these spots. Yeah, so he's thirteen and three against the spread with ten outright wins as an underdog. So that tells you that he's really good at not only covering, but he's actually won ten times as an outright underdog in acc action. So I mean, that doesn't mean he's going to do it this time around. I mean it's happened before. He has three games where he didn't win and didn't cover. But like he's good at getting his team ready for this opportunity to and again because we don't know for sure how good Louisville is, and we won't know for sure. I mean, louisvill will only have played three games after Saturday, so at that point it's even still gonna be tough to determine.
Speaker 2: Okay, where is this team. It'll be the first test and we'll see how they do. But like, this will be a monumental win for Georgia Tech, and I think Brent Kee can realistically pitch that to his guys. Going in and beating a top twenty team on the road would be massive for them. And they already have a loss that they probably feel like they shouldn't they shouldn't have. They came out flat against QS, which is understandable given the fact that they went across the pond to go play Florida State in Week zero. A lot of emotion involved there with the high that comes with it. They bounce, They come back and end up winning a tough game against Georgia State, who has an SEC win under their belt right now, and that's a ryble for them. So then they show up flat to Syracuse and QS puts up a bunch of points early in that games give themselves, gives themselves a nice leap, but in the second half, George Check out played them, outscored them. So I think George Check's good. And when I think about that, I don't even really think about their win against Florida State. I don't, and I know that doesn't look as good now as it did when it happened. But like when I think of them being good, I think about Brent Key being able to get his guys ready to play in these kind of games and get some good results in fact, winning games as an underdog. But also they got some dudes. Man. I mean, I'm not as high on Haines King as Tom lougan bill Is, who does some work for the ACC network. I mean, he's good. I'm not sure I'm ready to say that he's like, you know, the second best quarterback in this conference outside of cam Ward. But clearly he's good. I mean his numbers. Last year, only four quarterbacks had twenty five or more touchdowns through the air ten or more touchdowns on the ground. And what was the other part of that stat It was just in front of me. Where did it go? Where are you stat that I was going to use to really hype up Haynes King.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's one of four quarterbacks that's had at least at least twenty five passing touchdowns ten rushing touchdowns and the only others that did that. This is what I was looking for. The others Jaden Daniels, Caleb Williams, and Dylan Gabriel. Jamal Harris the running back, I mean, he was an All acc selection last year, had over one thousand yards. Eric Singleton and Malik Rutherford at receiver. Those guys were super productive. I mean Singleton, I mean last year he was a first team freshman All American. So they got dudes man and defensively they were really bad last year and that reared its ugly head for them against Syracuse. But they bounced back in the second half and played much better. And you got to keep in mind the guy that they went out and hired to run their defense, Tyler Santucci, it's his first year, is the d C at at at Georgia Tech. But he comes from a good coaching tree. This is a guy who was the d C at Duke for who's the guy who left Duke to go to Texas a and m Elko. Yeah, he was the d C for Elco, which obviously you know that's somebody who runs the defense. I mean then Mike Elko is a defensive coach, but Santucci's learning under him, and prior to that he was he was I think the linebackers coach or maybe the secondary coach for Rutgers head coach Shianna, who's really respected defensively as as a ball coach. So I think this is gonna be a good game. If I had to bet, and I'm not gonna bet this game, I would not bet Louisville to cover ten and a half. And it's not because I'm worried about Louisville. I mean, even if I was, it would be it would just be me worrying for no reason because while we're we don't know. We're gonna find out where this team stands on Saturday. But me again, I'm not acting like I'm gonna bet against Louisville and bet Georgia Tech to cover here, because I wouldn't that. Ever, even if I felt like I could make money, I don't know if I could do it, but if I was forced to, I would take them to cover but it's more out of respect for this team than it is Louisville, you know, being not as good as the line indicates, and they've been tested, They've played some decent teams up to this point and Louisville hasn't. That doesn't mean Louisville's not going to be way better than them down the line. But in a weird way, I feel like September twenty first is actually the opener for Louisville. I know that it's not, but it really is the first real game. The other two count, but they are exhibitions that we get to count as wins in the win lost column. So I'm fired up. I'm excited. And again it's not nerves. I guess it's just anxiousness. The anticipation to kind of see where you stand. That's got me fired up. And we're just a couple of days away. In fact, we are a little bit under forty Iarl, I'm sorry, a little bit over forty eight hours away from kicking it off. And just so you know, we've got you covered for all your game day coverage, we'll have the Louisville Football pregame show hosted by myself that'll start at two thirty. It's presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky as well as Jefferson Animal Hospital Again two thirty to three thirty. Some good stuff I've got planned for that and then kickoffs at three thirty and then as soon as the game ends, come back right here to Sports Talk seven ninety as we react to whatever happens on the Louisville Football postgame show, presented by alex Ar White Lawyers, Sue Distracted Driver dot Com. So again, just a couple of days away, but hey, we're already. It's I mean, the football weekend is starting today. We've got football tonight. We've got an NFL game I'm excited about, and I'm not excited about, you know, the actual game itself, because I really don't have any opinion whatsoever in what happens between the Patriots and the Jets. I mean, I don't care. I'm not a fan of either. But I do have some picks that I'll share once again. We talked about it yesterday, but you will hear me once again. You will hear me. You'll hear me once again, share those picks that we're going to do for underdog Fantasy and also college football. I mean, I'd be a liar if I said I was amped up for the South Alabama Appalachian State game tonight. That's the only one we get on the college side of things, and I'll probably find a way to make some kind of wager here. But you know, it's not a great game for Thursday. Usually we get some better games on Thursday nights. Although South Alabama just a week ago on a Thursday night, would they score eighty something points?
Speaker 1: Some sort of record for college football, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they scored more points in an FBS game than anybody had in like thirty years. Yeah, like it was like since I think since the nineties. Abstate minus seven seems like an obvious play here. I feel like South Alabama may be getting a little too much credit for their performance last week against a team that probably you know, doesn't even need to be playing football against FBS teams. If you can get beat like that and AB State is not, you know what, They're down a little bit for who they are. But that place, man, First of all, their stadium is unbelievable when it's I mean it's it's smaller, of course, but it's in the Mountains Boone, North Carolina, and they're gonna be fired up tonight. So I kind of love app State minus seven. But I'll come to I'll come to some kind of a decision before we get to the end of the show today. So before we set the table and get you set for the rest of the way, I will say, uh, I've not been able to stop searching on the Internet, rather it be Google, news stations, social media. I mean, this, this situation in eastern Kentucky is is insane to me. So for those who don't know, they they believe, I mean I don't think they have. They haven't confirmed it yet, but they believe they have found the body of Joseph Couch. In fact, they have, they just haven't been able to positively identify him. I guess through like DNA or something or and if they have, I'll stay corrected. But we all know that's who this is. And the way in which it was found is just insane to me. And and it it's something out of a movie. It's something that you you know, it's something that that you would you would see again in a movie. And if you were to be writing the story, like you are a scriptwriter, or a screenplay. I don't know, if you write movies, what do you call John a writer?
Speaker 1: A screenwriter?
Speaker 2: And this is, of course, this is this is not based off a true story. It's just something you're putting together. And you've got a guy who committed a crazy, heinous, awful crime, A lunatic, if you will. I mean, I can't diagnose him as that, not I don't have the medical chops to do so. But I believe he is uh, he's he's clearly a lunatic who you know, tried to kill a bunch of people and then ran off into the woods, into the wilderness off the interstate, and he's been missing nobody, nobody knew where he was for nearly two weeks now ten days plus, I guess. And that's a scary, scary situation. So I don't want to reset the whole thing. But let's just again envision yourself being in the room as you're hearing somebody writing out this story for a movie, and the cops can't find him. There's rewards that are out there, and you're starting to wonder, are they ever going to find this guy? Is he you know? Is he is he dead somewhere did the animals get him, does he have family helping him? And then sure enough, they do end up finding his dead body in the woods, you know, eaten up by buzzards, decomposed, and the cops couldn't get him. You know, They've had a lot of resources, but they can't find him. They don't know where he is. And in the end, it's two random Kentuckians. In fact, let me back up a second here, I'm trying to in the end, it's two people who own own a hat Field and McCoy Museum Adventures business. They do live YouTube stuff, They've got their own YouTube show, and they're out there looking for this guy themselves and they end up being the ones that find him. I mean again, So let's just say you've got the story. You now know how he was found, who found him, and you're gonna just side which area of the country here in the United States this movie should be should be portrayed to be in. It's Kentucky it is. I mean, this is such a Kentucky story. It's crazy. So Fred and Sheila McCoy, who I believe live somewhere out in eastern Kentucky. But I don't think it's that close to where the body was found. Although the body was found very close, it sounds like from where this took place. And yet you've got people just out live streaming on YouTube for their YouTube channel looking in the woods and I'm not even really sure if they were looking for the guy, but I mean, just absolutely insane. And here is the video as the two Kentuckians just out randomly looking for a dead body. I guess this is what it sounded like.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh you found him? Oh Mitlanta, I'm coming, Oh my Landa, you founding?
Speaker 1: Oh Milanta.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna stop it there because there may be a curse word that comes in. But then you can see on this clip I played, you can see like the you know, the outline of his body as far as what's left, and he's been eaten up by some kind of animal. And I mean, that's got to be him. And again, if they have confirmed that he's that that it is him, I haven't seen it. I've been in on calls the last couple of hours and I haven't seen an update. But yeah, how about these two fine Kentuckians being the ones who who who found this guy that, Like, I'm not sure if law enforcement ever would have found him. Maybe they would have, But like I mean, I'll just say it, there may be more to it that I don't know. I'll admit that it may be unfair of me to just say for certain that it's a bad look on law enforcement. From what we know, from what the public knows right now, this is a terrible look on law enforcement, is it not? John? Again, if somebody can tell me, wait, well's here's why they couldn't find it, and yet these people did. But I can't see a scenario. But I'm happy to be corrected if there's something that gave these two Kentuckians, Fred and Sheila McCoy who found the body in the Daniel Boute National Forest, and they claimed that they've been out searching for the last six days and it all started as a date night idea. That is what they told wkyt oh my, So, how is this not a bad look for law enforcement not to be able to find if it was really that close to the scene where all of this happened. It just sounds like it's just a case of the over analytical police force that may have just been thinking, okay, he could be anywhere now when really it was kind of under your nose to begin with.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is crazy.
Speaker 2: That's the first thing that came to mind for me is that if he's that close to where all this happened, and they've had everything shut down, they've brought in all kinds of resources and they couldn't get him, and yet these people and I mean, I'm going to assume that they will be able to determine that he shot himself and killed himself and he's just been sitting out there. I mean, I guess there's a scenario where maybe they're they just again, I'm trying to give the law enforcement folks a benefit of the doubt here, but I don't really know how to because I'm thinking, like, maybe, you know, it should be more so just the credit to these people rather than the law enforcement side of things not doing as good of a job. And you know, not to take any credit away from maybe nobody would have found him other than these two. But the optics of this aren't great. And here is here's Fred McCoy after this whole thing became big news yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 1: It's important because everybody's been disrupted, of.
Speaker 2: Course, doing that stupid thing again. Let me see if I can pull it up here. And all the videos that I that I that are are just parts of the I mean, I think it's like a twenty five to thirty minute YouTube video that that that their episode. I don't know anything about their YouTube channel, but apparently they do YouTube stuff and this was part of it, their their journey, their search.
Speaker 1: But that's crazy though a dayton nin idea. They say we haven't. They say we're gonna go find the body or try to find the body, and that's their eye. I mean, that shows that that's love right there. I guess right if you're gonna if you're willing to go toe to toe with the wilderness and partaking to run to somebody who don't know at the time if he's actually dead or alive, that is that's in. That's it's it's insane. There's no other way to put it other than that.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, and before we let you hear this guy himself. The other thing that popped into my head, other than like, how in the hell is that these people that found him in not law enforcement, was are they going to get the reward? Because and this is something I got, I kind of went down a rabbit hole because I found this to just be you know, I found this to just be kind of slimmy. But then again, I guess not that surprising in the grand scheme of things, if you've got like a big reward for apprehending somebody or you know, catching a like if you if you if you find something, because they there's a reason, they're very specific if you can help lead to the arrest of this person, or you can, but sometimes it's if you can get like a conviction, you know what I mean, Like they can't convict I mean, can they convict this guy? He's dead, He didn't he won't get a chance for trial, not that he would, you know. I mean, so there was apparently some worry that they may because he's dead and there's not going to be any kind of trial and he's not going to be able to be convicted of a crime, that they wouldn't be entitled to their money, and I'm thinking that's nonsense. And then again then you and then you realize that there's actually been some people who did you know, do some vigilante work to help law enforcement, and they got screwed out of of their of their money. So do you know that you have you have a guess as far as what they're going to do with this money.
Speaker 1: So they've made a decision they have. I have no idea they're going to which they should like. It was good, which they should right, they should get every bit of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's important because everybody that same dumb ass thing.
Speaker 1: Is it not the left headphone? Ye?
Speaker 2: So you're hearing it too, Yes, Okay, it's what I thought. I just you know, thought, maybe you know. And here's what's so stupid. This is the only I could be using our terrible setup that we hate, that we never want to use, you know, and it wouldn't happen. It's just this board. For some reason, it is weird that it does that. And everybody you.
Speaker 1: Like, I remember, we try to take the Pat Kelsey press conference live, the introductory press conference live from my end, and it wouldn't record correctly, would record, but it would just do the left headphone thing, similar to what's going on with you right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got it. And again, and this is what what makes me so frustrated is that this is not some crazy piece of sound. It's just I had it readily, readily available, only to find out that it won't. And here's what's another thing that makes it so stupid is that it you know it uh it it will work if you're listening on the stream, but if you're listening on the radio, it doesn't work like it's it's it's so stupid. I don't I don't get it in the podcast. Yeah, it's so stupid. It will work on the podcast. Yes, all right, this this may help us. Yeah, here we go. This this will uh, this will make it to where you can actually hear it.
Speaker 1: It's here.
Speaker 2: It in its entirety.
Speaker 1: Important because everybody's been disrupted. You have a coward here that shot five people out here on a on a clift for no reason whatsoever, and uh, this whole community.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, there's more to it, but we need to get to a break. Don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here. We got a lot to get into today, folks. I spend a little more time on that that I anticipated because you know, the sound issues. But what a wild story. But again, what I want to get to here on the other side, more you know, more on Louisville football because I'm not gonna call bs, but it sounds like Jeff Brohm believes they're gonna have Colin Lacey for Notre Dame, which would be huge. I didn't think we'd see Colin Lacy at all this year. Also, Mark Pope was on KSR this morning. Is they announced they're gonna put all of their funds that are brought in, all the money the revenue that comes in for their Blue White scrimmage is all going to go towards NIL. And I'm hopeful Louisville does the same kind of stuff. I don't know any I don't know everybody. In fact, I don't know any financial situation of any university. But like anything these schools can do as an event and not take money from it and just put it towards NIL, I think that's gonna be pretty common. And I think U case done a couple of things here recently that I think is a good move when it comes to n IL, and I'm hopeful that Louisville can do the same thing. Also, we've got another another guy that's out here claiming that if his team loses, he's going to do something insane. This one's actually even more insane than eating was it dog poop.
Speaker 1: From a cup? From a solo cup with a spoon.
Speaker 2: I mean, and that guy never did it. But anyways, we're loaded today. Stick with us. It is Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety we got a couple of guys set to join us. Today. We'll have our weekly chat with Ken Spencer from w h AS eleven coming up here at four five, and then at five thirty we'll check in with Brian Edwards, a Vegas Insider dot com to get you set for another football weekend. We're to be on starting today, going on, I guess as we speak, who is that?
Speaker 1: Joh that was all sixty with smoking a light? I like that sound me too. I don't know a whole lot about them.
Speaker 2: Are they are? They well known?
Speaker 1: They are of the newer side. I believe they had I believe that song in particular when viral on TikTok earlier in this year. Gotcha, they're one of the lower tier bands. I guess you could say on today's lineup.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if they are, how low are we going here with tier?
Speaker 1: So low tier? I guess I just mean more like they're just.
Speaker 2: New Yeah, because I get the sense that like there's the majority, not all, but like the majority of people that are that are playing any day Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. They probably have people there just for them. Yeah you know what I mean, Like they each have their own contingencies, and obviously certain groups are going to have much bigger contingencies than the others. But uh yeah, good stuff Bourbon to be on. I mean I didn't I didn't hit any big traffic or anything on the way in, but they've got that have noticed they.
Speaker 1: Got that exit blocked off. Feel like maybe it was a coincidence, but it did seem like there's just more people on the roads today.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we'll get some kind of some numbers here from from the city after the fact that I'm sure we can reference last year. But I am anxious to see and it'll be really a rough estimation, I would assume, but how many people are going to be in Louisville over these next four days from all over the world just for this event? I mean, I outside of the Derby PGH Championship. I would think this has a chance to bring in more people than anything else we've had, wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, now, that's fair.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's go to the phone line five O two five nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety. Let's go to Chris. Chris, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety. What's happening?
Speaker 3: Hey, guy, that's my fifty sixth.
Speaker 2: Through Say that again.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, just I said I turned fifty six to this Sunday.
Speaker 2: All right, have you earlier today, sir, and just to join the show.
Speaker 3: Getting ready to go out to Trinity High School pick up my son from drum practice. But I was just stating back to the Louisville thing. I understand, uh, you know college football and pro football is this is hard to pick. It'd be hard to be a gambler right now. But what I will say about the quarterback Tyler, and about Brahm and his system, I think we got all the pieces. So I'm like you, I'm not as scared, but I know at any game, at any time, you could have a bad game. But I like the fact that this quarterback so far against minimal competition, but he don't seem like he's shaking Jake. You know, if it makes any sense, Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: It makes it. Chris, He's got he's got a confidence about himself that you can just kind of say, it doesn't mean he's gonna make a mistake. But also I think like if he does make a mistake, he's probably gonna be pretty prone to bounced back from it.
Speaker 3: Right. And I've been watching my son plays D three ball for handover. He plays defensive back. We played Butler the other day and got blasted. But uh, as far as I've been watching quarterbacks, normally, I'm a running back guy, and the guys that do good are the guys that can make the simple throws. And that simple throw is the throw to the running back, whether it's a screen, the bubble screen, the outs. And I'm seeing these guys that can throw where the wide receiver is going, and those make the best type of quarterback. And I like this guy because he's making those type of throws. Now know we're playing against minor competition, but I'm not looking at the competition as much as I'm looking at how comfortable he is in the pocket, how comfortable he makes his reads. And then our defensive line is good and we got a great defensive end with some with some good defensive back. So I'm gonna get off here.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you one more question before before you run. Is Hanover still one of the most beautiful campuses you'll see right there on the ohio?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness, my son. He had his top three offers when he Chris Foran Jr. Was coming out of Trinity with Georgetown Hanover and it was the top two offers that he had.
Speaker 2: And uh, that cams beautiful.
Speaker 3: Man, It's lovely, It's lovely, good stuff. So shout out the handover football we played this weekend. I'm gonna be like Batman, I'm gonna leave the Handover game and head to the Louisville game.
Speaker 1: So good stuff.
Speaker 3: I want y'all feedback on the quarterback as far as you know, how how laid back he is. Sure this will be a big test form, but I think that he's going to do pretty good. I like the fact that he can make all the throws.
Speaker 2: Thanks Chris, I appreciate it. Man. Yeah, Hanover College. Have you ever been up there? John?
Speaker 1: I have not.
Speaker 2: It's it's right there in Hannover, Indiana, but it's really close to Madison, which Madison is one of the sneaky, most beautiful places in the in the area. I mean, it's not that far from here, and it is, it is beautiful. When I played basketball in high school, I was recruited by a lot of schools that were like D three, not high level schools or anything like that, which it worked out where like, you know, I was delusional thinking like I was better than D three as far as I could play at a higher level, and I got recruited by Nai schools. The firstchool I signed with was inn Nai School, and they offer scholarships, whereas D three schools don't. They can give you some assistance, you can, you know you can, you can get helped out. But nonetheless I kind of was a snob, like I didn't you know, I didn't. Uh, I'm too good for that, which my game much more suited the Division III level. However, my grades did not and my financial situation did not, so everything all worked out for me. But Hannover was the school that I really wish I would have in the moment appreciated more because they, I will say, they recruited me harder than any school. They came to practices, they came to a lot of my games, full staff in attendance when we played one of our one of our arrivals when I was growing up, and uh, I took a visit to the campus and it's beautiful. I mean it's just I mean, it's so nice.
Speaker 1: This Woody Harrelson went, Yes, okay, I think I remember hearing you say that before.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and that that and I know I've mentioned that story before, but that the coolest thing that ever happened to me. When I was being recruited by again, you know, and you can call it being recruited, but like they wanted me to come and play basketball there, but like they weren't, I mean they were. There's no scholarships the Division three, but there's still great value in getting a great education from a place like that. But nonetheless, they they sent me a DVD in the mail and I remember like not knowing what it would be, so sure enough I popped it in and it was it was Woody Harrelson, who of course is an alum, went to Hanover, did not play did not play basketball there, but he was part of their theater group. And you know, obviously he's gone on to be super successful, but he was a Handover alum, and he, you know, he has some people think and I still think of him as basketball now because of the story I'm sharing. That's why I think of him as a When I think of him, I think basketball. But it's also white Man Can't Jump, like he's the star from White Man Can't Jump. So at some point, you know, it wasn't customized. It was he didn't say my name, but he had did some video kind of as his character in White Man Can't Jump, encouraging you know, kids to come and play Hanover where he went to school. So I just thought that was really cool. They were creative in a way. And you know, even if I wanted to go there, wouldn't have worked out because I'm not sure I could have gotten into school there academically. But yeah, shout out to Hanover. And back to Chris's comments in regards to the quarterback, I think Tyler shucked. I mean again, it's all about who it's against. I mean, last year, Jack Plumber, you know, in fact, Jack Plumber's best game was against Boston College, where he looked like he was Peyton Manning out there, but you know, he probably looked more comfortable and confident and carried himself a little bit differently whenever Louisville's got a few scores lead against you know, Murray State or whoever else they played in games where they were up big. And there's no way to say this without it sounding like I'm doubting Tyler Shuck. But we haven't in a Louisville uniform really seen him prove anything yet. Doesn't mean he's not capable, But from what we can gather right now, I just think he's he's got a confidence in himself with his arm and the way he's in the huddle that I think I feel good about it. And again, there really has been no there's been no part of his game throughout his career many many years as a college quarterback at Oregon at Texas Tech that has ever said he's not good enough, like that he doesn't have the arm, and then he's just not as good as people thought he would be. It's just been injuries and he is turnover prone. But even when that was the case, when healthy, he could make up for those turnovers because he would make plays. So I think they've got a good quarterback here, and I'm anxious to see what he does against an ABC caliber opponent. But yeah, just look, guys, know it man in the huddle. We talked about this with Alex Cupper a couple of weeks ago after we saw Chuck in action in the first two weeks, like you can just when it comes you know, his stats look good, but just take the stats away, say you want to minimize the stats because of who it was against. I can just tell this guy has a good arm and he wouldn't be here as our quarterback if Jef Broum didn't have the confidence in his arm. But he's really sure of himself and he'll take some risk. He's confident, and I think if he does make a mistake, he's the kind of guy that will bounce back from it. Unfortunately, with Plumber, it seemed like when he would make a mistake, he would turn into five mistakes, almost like he was pressing a little bit. Also real quick. I know, we got to get to a break. But Chris's comments about the quarterbacks that can just make you know, the simple throw. That's why guys, I mean, that's why guys like Baker Mayfield have have now found success in the NFL. Right, he's in a situation where he's got some decent pieces and he can make the simple throws. He's got a good enough arm, and if you've got good pieces around guys like that, you can win. Look at brock Perdy, there's been so much over analyzing of like where he stands as far as being a really good quarterback, and you know, I think it's pretty simple. He's pretty good. He's not elite. He's not gonna make throws that like nobody else can make, but he can make the simple throws and he can do that. He can do that consistently, and he's not out there trying to take over a game with his arm or force the issue because he knows who he is as a quarterback. Same thing with Baker, and there's other examples of that too. Guys that have a great career and nobody would claim they have the best arm. Nobody would claim that they are you know, they have the strongest arm, nobody would claim that they are the best athletes. But they can make the right throws consistently and they don't force the issue sometimes, you know, keeping it simple can go a long way. Now, you've got to have ability, and I think those guys I mentioned do have ability. But I think you know it's no it's no secret the quarterback position in the NFL is the most overanalyzed position in all of sports because it is really important. Nobody would downplay the importance of a quarterback. But you know, you don't have to have a guy that is viewed as an all time great to win at a high level. Now, you probably need a guy like Patrick Mahomes. You know, if you're gonna if you're gonna put together a dynasty, you probably need a guy like Tom Brady if you're gonna have that kind of a run like he had in New England. But you can still succeed in the NFL and in college and really all levels if you've got a quarterback that you know is solid, good enough and can be consistent. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap up a three o'clock hour, Keep this party rolling along. It's coffee and company. We are feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you bringing down the mood here, John.
Speaker 1: I think this is more relaxing than bringing down the mood relaxing. Don't you don't like the vibe of the song.
Speaker 2: Now? I mean the music, like the production a little more relaxing, but the.
Speaker 1: Little whiny Yeah, who is this? This is Chatham County Line. They'll be playing tomorrow Bourbon and Beyond from Raleigh, North Carolina. Okay, sorry to bring down the vibes.
Speaker 2: They sound like somebody that I know, but it's not I mean, not that I know personally, but just a group that I'm that I that I would compare them to, but I can't think of who it is. This festival has to be one of the most diverse that you'll find, right with this many big names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get a lot of country, a lot of folk, sometimes a little bit of pop. You got Bruno Mars last year. Can really be all over the yeah this, but you really don't have much like urban present, right, No, so, but what's weird is that Louder than Life kind of throws in a little bit of that urban presence with some hip hop acts.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, like Snoop Dogg they or were supposed to be Snoop Dogg. This year.
Speaker 1: You got three six Mafia coming to town. Uh, I don't have the line up.
Speaker 2: When you saw Jelly Roll, was he a bourbon beyond or louder than line?
Speaker 1: It was louder than life. And he did a little bit of around, a little bit of both. You did a little bit of rap, country and rock and roll whenever he performed nice. So for those who who were listening to KSR this morning, you you heard the announcement from from Mark Pope that the the let's see here Big Blue Man. I'm trying to get the specifics, but they're gonna make all of their yeah, their collective Club Blues Blue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll just read directly here. It says Club Blues Blue White pre season event, which will be a Memorial colisseum. We'll have all proceeds from this event go directly to the basketball programs nil efforts. So they're gonna make it like a fan experience for the fans. Tickets will be on sale it looks like tomorrow, and I'm not here to promote that people should go buy tickets. I'm not even really sure what they cost, but that's what I'm looking for because I want to see you know, if you if you end up in Memorial. I don't even know what that holds Memorial Colisseum, I'm gonna look it up because it's clearly not as big as I mean, I've been in Memorial, but it's a long long time ago. Actually played a basketball game there when I was I think, like an eighth grade and I know it's big, you know for someone at that age. But uh, I'm not even sure how many it holds. But let's say they sold eighty percent of it. Yeah, Memorial Coliseum, it holds eighty five hundred. Let's just say they sold they and they'll sell that out by the way, I mean it's with it being that small, they should sell it out. So eighty five hundred, you know, let's say tickets or I don't know, twenty bucks a pop, twenty five bucks a pop, but I have no clue what they're going to cost. But like, if all the money from that goes towards the basketball teams in il collective, that's huge. I mean, that's humongous. And I'll give you a case some credit, you know, And there's all kinds of schools I think that you could prop up as an example of like, hey, that was pretty creative, that was innovative. I'm sure other schools will copy and because and Ill was important. That's the name of the game. And we've all like it's an uncomfortable conversation for some because I understand why people would say I'm paying enough, Like, you know, I'm not paying anymore. I'm not gonna be the one responsible for going and get players. I pay my season ticket donation. I pay four season tickets. You know, I go to games of other sports, like I give enough money. They don't need any more of my money. If you have that mindset, totally fine. But I want to be I've not seen a school act like you have to do this and shame you if you don't. They're just letting it be known they need they could use the help. And if you want to help, you know, here you go and where I'll give Kentucky credit. This isn't a season ticket event. The the Blue White event, and they're having the event and people are gonna come and maybe, you know, what they think it's worth is up to them. But if they charge twenty bucks and you paid, you know, you paid to go watch this team play an intersquad scrimmage, and all that money's going to go towards the collective, which again, is a good thing. So I'll give them credit for that. So again I get why people are like, yeah, they don't need any more of my money. I'm not seeing anybody out there saying you have to do it, and if you're a bad fan, you know, I mean, we're not to the point where any ticket you buy, whether it be a season ticket or whatever, they're gonna had that fee. The Tennessee thing. Keep in mind, that was only for ceas and ticket holders, and those people are already very generous, right, So that's why they're doing it to the generous people who probably can afford to and won't be bothered because they're already extra generous. Anyway, if you go to the box office and there's that fee for two tickets for you and your kid, that's a different story. But nobody's doing that. The one person that has in fact kind of shamed fans, it sounded like, was that guy the ad for Arkansas we played the other day on the show Hunter yerochek Or. He was almost like he was running for office and he needed your support at the at the box or at the polls. But instead he's in telling you to pay one thousand dollars a month for NIL which are lockey. Yeah. I mean a lot of people can't afford that, So it's a good idea. And I don't know if you've was going to do the same thing. I don't think they have pressure to do the same thing. So I don't want it to be to come off that way, but well done because again that'll raise a lot of money and that matters. Now, that matters in a major way. I think NIL for the big schools, it's going to get to the point where I actually think there's gonna be a big separation and you're gonna see guys out here making really really really good money, those that are transferring in or those that have you know, proven to be really good, and you know they want to keep them there all right. Thanks to those that reached out yesterday. We had a few people, including one person I know personally, and then some others on the text line and on Twitter about our conversation with the folks from the Jefferson Animal Hospital yesterday. One person did share that their pet had their pets was life was saved because of a blood donation because of blood transfusion. So you know, it's always great to partner with great companies, great organizations, but this is this is a partnership where these people are out here saving lives of pets. Which is that? And what's better than that? So shout out to jeffersonantim the Hospital again. Their big event is coming up a month from today, October nineteenth. They'll have their pints for palls and people at JEFFERSONNA the Hospital on outer loop. You bring your pets, bring your family, enjoy food, live demonstrations. They'll show you how the blood donation process works. That way, you're not as worried about handing over your pet to have them do it, and you can donate blood yourself with the American Red Cross. So pintes for pausing people October nineteenth, from ten to two. All pets are welcome, All people are welcome from more information called babo too. Nine hundred pets are visit pet bloodbank dot com saving pets lives. What's better than that? Some wholesome stuff, right there? John? All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Two hours left. We'll talk to Ken Spencer from WHAS eleven right here on Sports Talk seven ninety