Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Backflips and Nerds, the Baseball Podcast with a British twist. It is the podcast you've all been waiting for, the grand World Baseball Classic preview and joining me to preview this what should be a tremendously exciting tournament. We have, of course, the statman himself, Russell lieson Russell, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good, I'm doing good. Ready to talk about international baseball. Got the cap on and everything.
Speaker 1: And obviously we couldn't talk about international baseball without the other member of our lauded correspondent team from the last WBC making his long awaited podcast return. It is Gavin Tramp's how's it going.
Speaker 3: I'm very good. How are you guys?
Speaker 4: Doing well? Doing well?
Speaker 1: Looking forward to talking about this. I think we've got a lot to talk about, so let's get right into it. And I think before we get into the details of this tournament itself, I wonder if Russ maybe if somebody's listened to this and thinking, I've heard a bit about this World Baseball Classic, but I don't really know what it is, like, what's happening here? Can you tell us a little bit about the history of this tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like the World Baseball Classic is the is kind of potentially was like started off as an invitational sort of tournament, but it was effectively the first time that the MLB and basically what was at the time the International Baseball Federation which is now World Baseball Softball Confederation, actually agreed to put.
Speaker 4: A tournament on together.
Speaker 2: There had been historical tournaments run by the WBSC that were for to work out who kind of like the best player best teams of US countries were, but this is the one where actually MLB finally decided to let their players take part. So actually we had, in the truest sense, the first kind of one. So in two thousand and six that happened. So we managed to get like the first Baseball World Classic in two thousand and six. Since then two thousand and nine, twenty thirteen, twenty seventeen, twenty three, two twenty six, all on a delightful not quite three or four year schedule, depending on.
Speaker 4: Various different reasons that have caused that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's basically it's a tournament which effectively has been it's pretty easy to say, has been dominated by Japan. They won the inaugural tournament in two thousand and six and one, and again basically like in two thousand and nine, but it has been basically picked up by other teams along the way, with the Dominican Republic and with.
Speaker 4: Having their Moments in the Sun as well.
Speaker 2: So but yeah, it is a tournament basically which we get to see theoretically the best players in the world. Now that hasn't always been the case for different reasons, but it makes sense to kind of now hopefully see it with getting into as close to as an equivalent of the.
Speaker 4: Baseball World Cup, which is what it actually used to be called.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you two were both out there last time, GAVI. It certainly felt watching it from Afar. I imagine it felt like this to you, that it sort of really took it to the next level of the last tournament, that that international appeal really spread and a lot more people were talking about it and we obviously had the epic final between the USA and Japan. Was that your experience? Did it feel like a proper a World Cup of Baseball?
Speaker 3: Well, it's really interesting because for us it was among the most exciting experiences we've had. But then I was listening to Ken Rosenthal who was also saying a very similar thing that he's done Super Bowls, World Series, Olympics, and the WBC in twenty three was the most exciting tournament that he's ever covered. So you know, if someone like that with that much experience, had that sort of experience with the event, then yeah, it really has taken on a new lease of life, I think, and it probably is. You can probably narrow it down to when Mookie Betts and Mike Trout decided they were going to participate, and then everyone else wanted to get involved. And the team that the USA put out last time was you know, simply immense, and so all the players who missed out, the Bryce Harpers of the world, then they want to get involved this time. And then I think there's just been an avalanche of talent who wants to play, who wants to participate, And if you took the insurance issue out, which we'll get to later, but there's hardly a top player who is not going to be performing next month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a pretty terrific lineup of players here. I think certainly in the past you would have looked at teams from some of these countries and either gone, who are these people or you would have thought, you know, why is this guy who just got defaed by the Reds on the starting picture for a World Baseball Classic. I'm not thinking of anyone specific, but it was that type of vibe. You know, you certainly had a lot of that, even on teams that you would consider to have strong baseball heritage. It was not a priority for a lot of these players. So it is great to see the strength in depth that we've got this year. And I suppose Russ you mentioned Japan's relative dominance over this tournament. Are they still the team to beat here? Do you think?
Speaker 4: Can you?
Speaker 1: Can you see them doing a repeat of their famous victory last time over the USA.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting one because I think that because the Japanese team plays more together. There are other international tournaments, the Premieer twelve being the big one, and the top Japanese players do play that in as well, so they play together as a team a lot more. Until the last Premier twelve final, Japan hadn't lost an international game in thirty games. Is a cross spran across like nearly fifty years when they lost the final to Taiwan or Chinese Taipei as we have to refer to them in this tournament, I think you have to honestly say that they deserve to basically still be the favorites. I think the US, you could easily say have a potentially have a better lineup and the better players, but about playing in this side of format, about having a manager who knows how to manage well in these scenarios, I think Japan has that edge that pushes them a little bit further than what you could maybe say for the USA and the Dominican Republic, which are probably like the those would be the top three, with Puerto Rico probably just a slightly little bit below them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's talk about Puerto Rico because I've already alluded to the insurance issues. So this is a squad that has some pretty high profile names to draw on, Francis Killindoor, Carlos Carrera among them. Gav You've got a piece up on the website about this, but can you just take people through what exactly is going on with Puerto Riki and their insurance and why we're not going to see some of these guys this year.
Speaker 3: Absolutely cannot know. It is a it's so confusing, but basically MLB have an agreement with an insurance company that they will cover the salaries of the players if they get injured. Two years for a hitter, four years for a picture. But there are many get up clauses, one of them being the player was on the sixty day deal iol last year. Another one if they've had off season surgery, no matter how minor. And yeah, so lots of players and it does really seem to be so many of the Puerto Rican stars are now deemed ineligible. So we don't have Carlos Carrea, have you by biases for another reason, Francisco Lindor Burios the picture and then for Venezuela, they haven't got Jose al too they so yeah, it's it's put a bit of a dump knot on the whole tournament to begin with, but it has just devastated the Puerto Rican lineup, considering that they are one of the host countries, so there's four host countries, we've got four groups of five and four groups of five teams. It was such a big occasion for Puerto Rico, so the fact that they I think they've lost eight players who would get into any team, so yeah, it's I don't know what WBC and MLB are going to do about it. I don't think they really give a damp at the moment, but I don't know what they'll do to stop it happening again next time. But yeah, it's certainly I would feel very resentful if I was Puerto Rican Russ.
Speaker 4: Surely you can improve on that.
Speaker 2: I think there's a sliding scale here. I think that like saying that Carlos Career's contract is potentially too much for somebody to be willing to ensure, you know what, Like there were multiple teams that were willing to war from our contracts and then then take that contract back when they've did his medical so like not to be like there's something going on there, but that potentially seems reasonable. Lindau looks like another one. Now all there are stuff that has come out and said that he maybe is recovering from before the season, for coming from the surgery that he had that we didn't know about. Can never know whether these are smoke and mirrors or it's actually the case, but there does seem to be something that has changed here compared to what it was like last year around? Was it because we had Edwin Diaz, and there's a l two Bay get injured in the last tournament, which potentially has like changed some of these premiums. I think the fact that there has so much adverse he admit, impacted the Latin American teams and we basically haven't really had a US player not get their insurance is definitely does also feel a little bit odd. Have scenes of rumors though that suggests that actually Mike Trout might be playing uninsured, so they put some of that into context as well. I did also read a rumor that supposedly Bad Bunny was willing to pay the insurance for a load of the point Too Rican players himself, but I don't know how how much truth went into that or not. It's a sad state of affairs that you don't basically have the best players take place. I think, however, it needs to be sorted. It needs to be sorted for the next time around to work out what it is. MLB teams already have like a way of stopping teams really from playing this because if they didn't play a certain percentage of the games in the Major League last year, the team has the right to say no it's not on the player to decide, and as we'll talk across various teams, prospects and players going in to contract years also generally have the incentive to not take players in the tournament because they're stuff that their clubs want them to do or stuff that they need to do to make sure they actually get the best money that they can. So there's another little annoyance that means we don't quite get to see the best players. But I still think this tournament is going to have the best squads that we've seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 1: Your bad money could afford it.
Speaker 3: We can be down about the players who are missing, and obviously is it's sad for Puerto Rico, but for us as mutrals or as British fans as we're going into this, but as a neutral fan, it is fantastic. We've got so many high profile players and so many exciting youngsters who in previous tournaments may not have been allowed to play. So yeah, we should look at that and be really optimistic that this is going to be a great tournament.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we still have.
Speaker 2: Nine of MLB's top one hundred, the top ten out of the top one hundred.
Speaker 4: The exception being.
Speaker 2: Joseier Ramirez, who seemingly didn't want to play second fiddle to Manny Machado Republic.
Speaker 1: So internal strive in the Dominican Well, we probably we probably should talk about some of these squads because, yeah, you're gonna you're going to recognize a lot of names, and there might be some other names you don't know so well, but I think you probably will in the very near future because there's a lot of prospects on this list, a lot of guys I think we're going to see in the majors, including including some guys on on TEAMGB. So I guess we'll we'll go we'll go group by group and run down those pools and then we can have a talk about a few few highlights from the squads and any guys you want to watch out for. So we'll start with paul A, the afore mentioned Puerto Rico leave that pool, but we've also got Cuba, Canada, Panama, and Columbia. So I guess given the slightly decimated Puerto Rico squad, we've still got some some household names on this, haven't we were us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that Puerto Rico team is still utterly phenomenal to kind of go through you. Pretty Much everyone on that squad is an MLB player or as basically played MLB baseball like very very recently, So it's not like it is going to kind of to struggle, but it doesn't quite have the top class people you have like that. You've got Marty Maldlaldo and Christian Vasquez as your catchers. We have the more Some of the more interesting talking point is Nolan Aaronado, by his mother's heritage, switching to play for players to weekly at this tournament, given he played for the USA in the last tournament. But yeah, and then obviously from the pitching perspective, we have Edwin Diaz and let's see hopefully that he makes it through this tournament clean without any injuries. And I don't have to go insulting TV producer TV. This is how he rose to TV. I can't remember now for.
Speaker 4: Don't start.
Speaker 1: You're getting out of trouble again now, Russ.
Speaker 2: Sending it to you that everybody thought was John and was me drunk at like two am in Miami.
Speaker 1: Nolan Aaronado maybe not in the peak of his powers anymore, but obviously been a very good player in his lifetime, we get to see him out there, have anybody you're looking out for, and in particular on the remnants of the Puerto Rica squad.
Speaker 3: Now I see that the lineup which they're likely to put out, and yeah, it is. It's just it's just disappointing every time I see it, because Willie Castro you've got instead of I don't know, Carlos Correa, Edwin Arroyo, he's the he's the Reds short stop prospector. I believe, Yeah, it could be quite exciting to see him. But I think that this the fact that Puerto Rico has been decimated. I think that that this makes this group the most exciting group. I cannot see who is going to win. I cannot see who's going to come second. I think all five of them have a good chance to get through, and you can't say that with many of the groups.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are definitely opportunities for everyone here. I think you're right about that, Russ. Is there somebody you like as a dark horse here? If such a thing exists in a more wide open group?
Speaker 2: Now, well, the dark horses of baseball for a long time have always been Cuba like because effectively, for a lot of these players, we don't wait to get to see them because to maintain their Cuban national to be able to play for all the Cuban national team, they have to effectively stay in Cuba and not play in any of the leagues that are affiliated. So we kind of don't necessarily have much of a you now we do this year have like some players that have made a name for themselves in other tournaments in other countries. So when you look through kind of like the list and you see like Levan Uenello, who's had an app looke like storm of a time in the MVP, MVP np appything else, you can then realize that actually they actually they have a top end pitcher which can can give anybody like a run for their money. You don't really know how much of that team is going to perform, with the exception of maybe why Ban Moncado. When it comes to the actual hitting side, overlooking Cuba and international baseball has always been a very dangerous thing to do.
Speaker 3: That picture. Manelo is just incredible. Nine years in Japan and he has a one point eight ERA six hundred and thirty innings and that's seven hundred and fifty strikeouts over nine years, he's obviously knows what he's doing. And then also they've also got Alfredo Disband. I don't know how old he's going to be, about fifty five, so he's got the he's going to be in his fifth WBC. And he held the record for the most homers despite not hitting a homer at the last one. But I think that record might go because I think it's only at seven so and I think Trey Turner did he get fired last.
Speaker 2: Time he did it, and a rather than good tournament. I think obviously when you if you were to look at this on on paper, like we're just not even seeing like what these teams would be like. He is like Cuba of the second round teenage ranked team Canada. I always am surprised, basically by how poor I end up thinking the Canadian lineup is because I'm just like, oh, they're a North American team, they should have.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of like good players.
Speaker 2: But you then realize it's actually way more fringe MLB than you thought it would be, Like with the exception of of like the Nailers, like most of the other and like Tyler O'Neil, most of the other hitters are like bench or utility players or a couple of prospects that haven't really made me reached the potential that you thought they would, and you're just like, oh, okay, so maybe that's not there. And again on the pitching side, you're like, okay, James Paxton, cal Guandrill Logan, Allen Michael Soroka, James Tyn. They're good, they're not amazing, but you think that like they should be do okay with that. But me and Gab watched Canada play awful baseball against TEAMGB who then managed to play even worse baseball in return. But uh, yeah, like they if it clicks, they could be a good team. And then Panama and Columbia have individual players that could could peak.
Speaker 4: At this moment and have an impact on the tournament.
Speaker 2: But you don't you expect them to really kind of come out as winners.
Speaker 4: But Columbia ba Mexico last time around.
Speaker 2: In the tournament, so having to have to requalify to kind of get back into this. It is definitely a pool that could end up like one of the ones last year that had two wins for all the teams across the ball.
Speaker 3: I think the Colombia, I mean Mexico is I think that epitomizes how great this tournament is. The fact that Columbia finished bottom of the group, they had to requalify, but they beat Mexico, who came within a whisker of getting to the final. It was only like a walk off by Merikami and Mexico beat the USA in the pool group. So with such a short tournament, just one off games, it really is the sort of thing that anyone can beat anyone else. So in paul A, yeah, this could it could go down to the wire, or one team could just end up winning four games, so it'll be exciting. Yeah, it's very much baseball as we don't see it normally, isn't it. You know, we talk about how random the playoffs are. We did, we did briefly have the one game wildcard playoffs, but it's very rare for us to see anything in Major League better will certainly get settled by one game, so it's it's quite exciting. And yeah, the talent gap can be severely eliminated by these sort of very short sample paul games. And yeah, as you say, anything anything can happen. We can have seen a very different outcome last time, if not for a couple of those moments you mentioned. So I think let's let's move on to Paul B then featuring our beloved great Britain of course, but also the mighty United States of America, Mexico, Italy and Brazil. And is this time We're going to spend quite a lot more time talking about Team GB at a late stage, but I think probably we should step in and cover the amount of talent that the US have a massed for this tournament, because last time out, I think it's fair to say that the hitting lineup was pretty good and the pitching didn't really match it. But that's not the case this.
Speaker 4: Time, is it US? No? This time like you've got the two cy young winners.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think you could really ask for much more, but it's like, okay, yeah, you've got theoretically the two best pitchers in baseball, and then you added Logan Web, you added wow, trying to think of like a Clayed Clay homes and stuff like that to actually make this team like interesting.
Speaker 4: Joe Ryan to be like, yeah, you know what.
Speaker 2: The there were games being started by Miles Michaelis and Adam wayIn wright last time around, which they weren't great players. They're still great, good MLB players, but they weren't great MLB players three years ago. You've still like you've got Mason Miller, You've got David Bednar to come off the Griffin Jacks to kind of come off the bench as bullpen relief. Barrett within Lock as well, depinding how they choose to use him. Like that side of it is like it is hands above what it was before. The USA starters last time had a four and a half ya ah, So I just don't expect that to be the case this time around. So they will probably limit the teams better than they did the time before. It wasn't necessarily USA's massive problem when they gave them too many runs last time around. They did, they struggled to score quite a lot and then then did manage to color and into key moments. And I'm not certain this is a better hitting lineup than it was in twenty twenty three. It's still good, not even topic like, it's still still good. It will still probably be the best nine that it that it that is put out there. But I don't think like maybe have I just having like Bryce terrangg and early comment, I know these guys are some defense or maybe kind of your utility guys, so you're not kind of expecting to pick up much time. But I don't think this hitting squad is stronger than it was last time around.
Speaker 4: It could be the same, but I think it might be just a little worse. If I massob hater. Who will we put in the line?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're going to what lead off with Bobby Witt or Corbyn Carroll one of the two.
Speaker 4: The other one would probably go second. Then we go.
Speaker 2: Judge Raleigh Schwarber, Harper Harper, p c A. And then what we're not what have we're not putting?
Speaker 4: Now? This is this is the problem. Gunner.
Speaker 2: Gunner's on this team obviously. Yeah, it's all Bragman Henderson. Yeah, I guess it's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Darang's on the bench. Surely, well you need someone, Yeah, but when they just play Will Henderson at the second? I mean with you know a genius defensive your.
Speaker 2: Stop so well as Gavin and I will tell you from watching the last year's w C, forcing your best nine onto the field and then worrying about what happens with defense later also known as the team GB approach leaves your kind of nerves a bit more afraid than you would you would hope they could be.
Speaker 3: There's probably a lot of rules that we don't know, so you know, it's quite possible that the Royals have are insistent that Bobby Wit does not change position and he only plays a certain number of games or whatever is agreed. I think I think the pitching is interesting because they're wite share. Yeah, and so I think Bryce Terrang will probably get the second base and I think last time it wasn't it Jeff McNeil. He he was a start in second basement, so and he seemed quite a step below the other players. I think it will be really interesting to see how Mark de Rosa, the USA manager, copes with the pitching because you have the restrictions, don't you. Is it sixty five pitches in the pool games? So yeah, it's okay having schemes and scuball, but they are only throwing sixty five and then so and then they have to rest for so long and then the you know what games do you throw them into? Do you do you use Joe Ryan against GB or do you use one of those Because it's the Saturday night primetime game. And then when it gets to the to the latest stages where we expect the USA to be, I'm not sure that Schemes has played in such a big game. He hasn't reached the postseason, has he? And I don't think this is it's a foregone conclusion that the USA are going to win this. But I'm always going to be controversial or awkward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the again Davis spot on with how this had to be managed, like it has to be managed completely different to how you would manage a Major League Baseball game. I genuinely think it's one of the things that historically in the last like five ten years, GP have got really well, which has got them to the petition that they can do this. You're playing to win today's game with almost no consideration for what happens. Like in the pool play, there is a very slight consideration that actually it might be better to get mercied so you don't have to even use up your own arms to.
Speaker 4: Continue the game.
Speaker 2: But in most considerations, it's like you're doing everything to win this game, and certain teams will go with that mentality, and certain teams will be using their arms a bit more strategically and thinking about the future, and that can cost them. I think that was one of the big impacts for the Columbia Mexico game. It was the first game, and I think Metsico, we're not thinking of like playing tow one hundred percent win that game, that we're thinking about the game against the USA that was coming and didn't want to use certain players. But yeah, the USA have the chance to like pick. What they'll do is they'll probably piggyback like three four innings off the guys the top guys with do like Scooball and then whitlock, and then do like Joe Ryan, follow Aline followed by Schemes or schemes followed by Joe Ryan, and then once the games are not in doubt, outcomes Clayton Kershe or to eat up some innings that that that don't really matter, like Matthew Boyd's on that team as well. Like these are guys that you you know, you can just throw out there and they'll they'll be they'll be Okay, they won't they won't probably get put into any scenario where it's any high leverage, but they'll eat up the innings. Good enough that you don't have to really worry about using anybody else.
Speaker 3: But that's exactly where the strategy will be really interesting because you say Joe Ryan followed by Schemes or schemes followed by Joe Ryan. That means that they're they're throwing a really small workloads to what they used to do. So it's throwing their their rhythm out. And I don't know how how how focused they can be if they're thinking, right, well, I'm going to get pulled after forty pitches or something if they go over fifty pitches and they've going to have the four days rest, so you can't throw Ryan and schemes of Ryan and scuball if you haven't got enough starters for the game in three days time. So it will be it'll be fascinating to see how a team which is blessed with the wealth of talent that the USA have manage that. And it could be that they DeRosa. Yeah, I think there's a lot on his shoulders, more than maybe any of the others because I don't think any of the others have so many pitching choices.
Speaker 1: So you reference to Mexico's victory over the US in the last edition gave the other team are the other team that GB has got a beat to get into the knockout stairs is assuming the USA take one of those spots.
Speaker 3: I the GB outfielder Justin Wiley, before the last w WE post a question to him because I was really interested that GV were playing the USA on Saturday night and they're playing Canada Sunday morning, and how do the GB players pick themselves up after the high of playing against his stream team to focus on this game, which is that's a winnable one against Canada. And he was just so dismissive. He just said every game's winnable, which he is correct. You know, put me in my place, but you know, every game is winnable. But yeah, realistically, GB are not going to be Mexico. They're not going to be the USA. They can, but it seems unlikely. I think GB the chance the victory has to be against Brazil. You know, the team that Italy are pulling out and putting out is just you know, it's incredible, incredible how many well it's not incredible how many Americans have Italian heritage, but yeah, it's incredible how many of these guys will to play for Italy, so it must be the best roster that they've ever put he so, yeah, get him back to Mexico. Mexico looked to be the second best team in the pool. But I think GB will need a lot of luck on this side if they are going to to run them close.
Speaker 1: I think some people will recognize some of these Italian names. Vinnie Pascantino is on their squad, Aaron Nola is on their Squad's got a few other big leaguers on here, don't you did?
Speaker 3: Don't you dear? Massacre? The Royals guy's name Jack Caglioni cal It's just great, it's just Calion.
Speaker 2: I think it is just Calione because he's an Italian American and doesn't know how to pronounce it how an Italian.
Speaker 3: So it's Calianoni.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he says, when you see him, you can tell him how to pronounce his name. I would like to be a fly on the wall in the locker room of the Italian scene. When he walks in, it says, my name's Jack keg Leone.
Speaker 2: But well, given the I think that almost all of this uh Italian team, the exception of maybe two or three of the pitchers are Italian American Americans. I don't think most people are going to bat an Eyelid. It's a team that's managed by Francisco Savellia as well. Again, now, if you look at the Italian team that went out for the last WBC in twenty twenty three and you look at this one, this one is steps above. Now it's fairly simple to say that, yes, it's the next world that we see more point of people be involved. Also, they're in d the US for their group compared to being in Taiwan as they were last time around. It makes players and teams more likely to give them give the players up because they know they just go downy Houston to sort it out, don't have to worry about any kind of like major international travel and how that'll impact all of these things. So this Italian team, it's strong. Like I think that that hitting lineup could you could have a conversation to say that that hitting lineup could be better than the Mexican one. Now, the Mexican one with having rand the Eros Arena, who was responsible for some of probably the moments of the WBC last time around, it is good, but it's going to have like some combination of Johanna Randa, Rowley Tales, Joey Mines's maybe kind of in there as well, Nicklen's or less, they're not amazing, They're all still MLB players. Andrew Kirk behind the dish will be great. I think the step that Mexican will have over over that Italian team is the pictures, Like the Italian team beyond Nola is not really starting MLB level, whereas Mexico have. They have a kid, they have kind of like Taj Bradley, they have Tian Walker and then having Andrews Munas as you're kind of like shut down guy when you need someone, and I think that just puts them like a little bit higher in the expectation they could Dell still definitely mess something up, but you do have to think that like Mexico will broad be the Mexico USA game. You'll be expecting that's the game to play to kind of like get into the tournament. But again it really goes with how things go about. GiB have the this time around have to do it the opposite way to what they did the last time they played Mexico or lunchtime to start off the tournament and then play USA in the evening the day afterwards.
Speaker 4: So they start off with their the gen Team GB with we'll get doing it.
Speaker 2: They start off with their two hardest games before then placing Italy and then facing like Brazil, and by that point they know basically are these games to win to get us to advance in the tournament or are these games to win to make sure that we stay in the tournament something we didn't mention at the start. But effectively, finishing bottom of the group, you get thrown back into the world of the qualifiers, which is harder basically to get out. And these will always be harder and harder to get out as other teams progress, and the Team GB will not have access to sort of their better players because it takes part in Europe on a cold September evening, so it'll it'll be more difficult. But yeah, that's kind of like I would basically be saying that you'd expect USA Mexico in Italy as the one, two three, I would expect TV to probably finish fourth, above above Brazil.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to point out that the Italians have a position player at third base. Well. Actually, as Baseball Reference Page says, third basement catcher and relief pitcher, which is fantastic. I don't think I've ever read that before. Giacannino La Saratina. I think he is very definitely one hundred percent Italian. He has never played outside the Italian leagues. He's twenty two, so watch out for him.
Speaker 4: Italian with a Venezuelan Birthdace.
Speaker 3: Yes, So it's really good that he's in it because he was one of the players of the tournament in the Euros in Rotterdam that I went to. So he led the whole tournament in Homers and he had like a seventeen hundred ops, but he was he looked like a superstar. So the fact that they brought in all of these MLB and American Italians, but you still kept a few of a couple of the guys who were in the Euros. So yeah, I'm really pleased that he's still in there. But it is definitely the best Italian roster ever because you've got Michael Lorenzen as well, so that's another picture. They've got Adam or to the you know Sam Alde Gary, the Italian born and bred uh pitcher who plays for the Angels. So and I think what's really exciting about it is there's so much youth in that team because you've got I've just run through it. Kyle Teal so he's the catcher with the White Sox. Andrew Fisher, he's the Brewers guy that they took in the latest draft, Thomas Sagassi, the Cardinals infielder, Jacob Marcy and Jack Kelly and so you know, and they're all like twenty four or below. That's a that's a that's an exciting roster. So should we move on?
Speaker 1: And I think we should. Well, I was just going to say, we've given the Brazilians very short drift. Is there is there anything you want to say about Brazil other than that, other than that we think we.
Speaker 4: Can beat them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I who's the guy? How is the contrarosts?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You remember him? So his son is pitching for Brazil and his son hasn't yet been drafted because he's only said or something. So they do seem to be like a team of Suns because you've got many room Mirrors's boy and obviously Dante bischett Junior. So yeah, I don't know much about them at all, but this is a winnable game for GB.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the same.
Speaker 2: It's like it's a lot of the guys that kind of got through in some of the tournaments to get them here are a part of it. And you you look at it and you'll be like, yeah, you know what, if you think anybody is going to be bad in this tournament, that's that's a fool's errand. But GIBI has to go into this game well, especially when when it is like it could if they've lost their first two games against Mexico and the United States, then this game against Brazil is effectively it's a winning you are more than likely, say for the tournament the next time round, which has to be the minimum expectations for for tg GM this time around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joseph Cantreras throws ninety eight and has a least a fork ball apparently, so looking forward to seeing him potential draft te this summer Vanderbilt commit apparently, so we'll see whether he actually gets drafted high enough to sign with someone. But yeah, so some very young players on the squad. Do you guys want to talk more about GBN now or do you want to save it for the ol GB pod. Russell's just switched to his GB cap as in preparation.
Speaker 3: I think we'll definitely do a more in depth GB one, but if you want to run through the the main things which you've noticed since it's been announced for.
Speaker 2: US, Yeah, I think it's one of those ones where because it kind of the same way we spoke about the tying, Team DEE has the chance of eligibility for quite a lot of players that you might not necessarily think of British thanks to the i'd say the vagaries of the Commonwealth and quite a lot of countries that people used to be British and therefore have access to passports. That's the way it works with the WB's you just have to visible to prove that you could get a cat passport if you want one, not that you actually have one. So there are a lot of rumors about Team GB this time around, with a lot of the ideas of getting additional big players in because they after their performance last time around. Obviously we've managed to get Jazz back in, who actually had participated for Team GB and the qualifiers before in twenty sixteen when they nearly qualified for the tournament in twenty seventeen, and there were other rumors about role as Trapman and Justin McKenzie and a fair list of other players. In the end, this team has come out fairly in line with kind of like expectations of a few of those more wilder players haven't come through. There's still quite a few guys that have come playing in the tournament again as they did last time around. Vance Wahley and Tyler Bis a notable kind of like starting pitchers from the last time around. We still have like Donovan Benoir, Michael Peterson, all who have like major league experience, like Heavier Fernandez and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But it is it is a duel.
Speaker 2: Co captain has been talked by the by the team themselves. Harry Ford and Jazz Chism do really push basically the everything this team can do on the offensive side, and.
Speaker 4: Who knows what you can really get from everybody else.
Speaker 2: Like for me, like probably the whole entire tournament, I'm waiting for like mac Perniac to get his hit because he went hitless in the in the last tournament and he kind of had struggles and me and Gaut both spoke to like his parents who were there, and he like obviously knew that he wasn't playing his best but he's someone who has been part of g TVGV setup, was a huge part of that team qualifying for the tournament back in in twenty twenty, for the twenty three three tournament in twenty two. Yeah, I think there is a there's a lot of youth on this team, and there's a few very experienced heads when it comes to the pitching side, but that the.
Speaker 4: Offenses is quite a young team.
Speaker 3: A very wise person said to me, the floor of the roster is so much higher than we've ever had before, and the pictures are of a higher quality than before. Yeah, there was a little bit of disappointment that maybe some of the bigger names who had been rumored did not make the roster. Personally, I'm really pleased. So we've still got Mat caponiec and b J. Murray and Jack Seppins and those sort of guys who who I've seen a few times now, so you know, you're really root for them and you don't want them to get usapped by a big name just because they're they're an MLB player. Yeah, I'm really excited about this roster. I think it will be absolutely fascinating. Like I said with Mark De Rosa, and the strategy that he has to do. I don't quite know how Brad Marcelino goes from the Rotterdam Euros where he had, I don't know, gave nine debuts two players and so many of these were youngsters, so many of these were the under twenty threes to this whole new roster now for this tournament. So I don't know how GB really manages to do so well with using completely different players for different tournaments. I don't see how they gell, but obviously they do. They managed to instill it's incredible confidence, incredible belief in the players, and I'm sure it will happen again. I'm sure they will surprise us. I'm sure they make us really proud. So yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing these guys put on the GB jerseys.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that was one of the things that came across in the last tournament that not just because you know, GB actually won a game and you know, made the Mexico game very exciting as well, but you know, the dugout celebrations with Harry and that, I think it came across that they had very strong collective team spirit, which must be a really difficult thing to instill when you're collecting together a group of guys, many of whom presumably have not played together at all before, or if they have, has been on the very limited short basis not at all like being in an MLB clubhouse or in any other league around a full season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's it's definitely something that is noted. Definitely, Liam Andrew in the past haven't really pushed that this is something that the team gets to do, gets to Before the World Baseball Qualifier, they basically kind of like held a team meeting where they all basically talked about like what representing GB means to them, because it all means a very different thing for each of them, because, yes, you have you have people who have English British parents, you have people that are born here from different areas. You have people that are born around the world and actually have their heritage from not from not just the Commonwealth in the Caribbean, but around the world.
Speaker 4: You had players from like which had Hong Kong heritage and all those different things.
Speaker 2: So it actually kind of brings together different ideas, different visions of like what it is to to kind of like want to represent this country and that instilled a great atmosphere within the teams we've seen in the past, and hopefully it's something that we'll we'll see again this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure we will. So we should probably move on to the next pool before we spend the rest of this podcast talking on GB paul Ce features, of course the reigning champions Japan, Australia, South Korea, Chechia and Chinese Taipei. I guess we should at least briefly start with Japan. They always take this incredibly seriously, don't they. So is there any weakness in this squad again or should we expect them to be about where they were last time?
Speaker 2: Rus?
Speaker 4: You can't, you can't look beyond it.
Speaker 2: Like there are a few names here that like didn't win in the tournament last year. I think it's it's a sign that like they are, especially on the pitching side, that they're working through to the best players that have power they performed in the MPB in the last couple of seasons. Obviously, there are there are names that are more widely known now then they were at the time, with like Yoshio Yamamoto and mun Attack of Murakami who are now will be kind of names that people will know in in America, whereas they might they might have not before. A little bit of a difference is Otani's only going to dage this time around. He's not He's not going to pitch. There are rumors that that was another insurance related thing. Don't know how much the case is that or not, or whether it's just effectively that what's been allowed. But this is still a lineup with top MLB players and the best MPB players, which you put them in a game against the best MLB players, they'll show you like a slightly different but also a really really good way of playing baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to see some of these guys come up against MLBA competition for the first time, Markami and a Kamoto. Of course we're going to be seeing a lot more of them this season, but it will be the first time we've seen them against some of the guys that they will in some cases be playing with this year, So that'll be fun. Gave, is there anyone you're looking out for on this Team Japan squad other than the obvious.
Speaker 3: Well, when we saw them last time, Yashida was absolutely brilliant. He looked like he was one of the greatest players in the planet, so he obviously doesn't do that when he's playing for Boston, But I think playing for Japan will look forward to seeing him dominate the game. I yeah, it looks like the Japan have this incredible roster. It is showing that Roki Sasaski isn't available. I think I think it's disappointing how many Dodges are not available. They're all focusing on getting themselves prepared for the MLB season. That's the company line. But considering it's the Dodgers who are this dinner who everyone thinks they are going to just sweep the World Series for the next couple of years, I think there's only four players five if you include the Korean infielder Kim, but only you know four or five players that are at the the WBC. So many other teams have many more representatives. So it's a shame that Roki Sasaki isn't there. And also last Newball he's he was quite a with his pepper grinder. He was was quite a character last time. But he's he's out injured.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they should seem like he enjoyed himself. Yeah, well, you mentioned you mentioned the career there. The KABO is obviously widely considered, you know, the kind of the the third best league in the world behind MLB and the MPB. Do they have a legit chance at this tournament?
Speaker 4: RUSS. That's a really interesting question because, like the.
Speaker 2: They have baffled it in regards and that that's not my words, they are words of kind of Korean fans. For the last few tournaments, they finished like second and third in the in the first like iterations, and then have like failed to make it out of the group stages since, and there have been some notorious defeats along the way which.
Speaker 4: Do not sit well with.
Speaker 2: South Korean fans. So you, in most normal circumstances, they would have been the second best ranked team in this group and you would have gone, yeah, go on, like you're gonna you're going to do best out of this compared to some of the other ones. But they did end up with having Chinese type ay or to Taiwan in this group. But I think from a perspective of the hitters are basically some of the best hitters in the actually come from the the KBO, which again and I said, it's it's probably the third best league in the world, but the top of that league is comparable with like MLB players. They'll be led by John holy the Giants outfielder. The pitching side has usually what's left let them down in the past, and so it's the same again, like they've still got a space for like hundred ryu, but you also have kind of the likes of like Dane Dunning and Riley O'Brien, who names that people might know there are some good guys coming through that you might expect to have some impact it in but it is a bit more. The variant is quite strong with this Korean team, and I think that's what we do, just what we should expect. But you should also not be surprised if they gave Japan.
Speaker 1: A run for their money in a game and gav cheer in this group, but you presumably have some experience with them in person. I mean, they're one of the stronger sides in Europe. So what should we expect to have them as anyone we should be looking out for.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they're unique. They are the only team without a represent who plays in the USA, so of the twenty countries, for all of their roster to be based in Europe is pretty incredible, and I think the one who would have been the exception is that people would have known was Eric Sogard, but he's had to withdraw. But yeah, they're a very very organized team. They play as a team, they're very smart. They've got a lot of experienced guys. But they're not household names. They're not names there anyone apart from those who follow European baseball would know. But they did well last time. They managed to get their wins, so they automatically qualified in the Euros. Recently they finished upcoming third bronze medal, So yeah, it is that. I think every single game against Czech here is going to be a really tough game for their opponents. Whether they can pick up a couple of wins, I don't know, but I do think that the second place in this group is up for grabs. So yeah, the league that these guys playing isn't as strong to see a KPO, but yeah, they are going to give everyone a run for their money.
Speaker 1: And the Australian squad ross they might have a couple more names that the people who watch MLB regularly recognize. Whatever do you see their chances in this group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, it's like they have a lot like the the Australian Baseball League, which plays in the winter, so you do have a lot of players that are actually based in there. But it is a highly competitive league. A lot of the Asian League send their best young talent to go play in their MLB. Teams have sent people to play there in the past. I think Alcunia played out in the a b L where he was younger as well. So it's not like it's it's a bad league in itself. But you do have a few names that you might recognize, like Warwick Soirpled who are like Curtis me. There's the sorts of names. The big name that, depending on how into baseball, how into the baseball weeds you get, is Travis Bizana. He is the genuinely ranked number one across most prospects. I think he is by MLB. I don't know where he is for you, Darius at BP. But yes, second baseman who's at Cleveland, who probably would have played in the majors last season if he hadn't picked up a slight injury, is going to be the face of Australia baseball for quite a long time, if all things are to be believed with how his prospect rankings actually are. But no, this is a squad that plays again the same with what Garvin was saying with the cherit of public team. They play a lot, they play together a lot, and they've played a lot of international baseball, which again I think is they have the players and the managers who know how to deal with these scenarios that some of the other teams might not necessarily. But they are also in a group where that's actually the case, that where you have the three dominant Asia Asian teams and the cheer Republic in Australia. This is actually all the teams that are some of the probably five out of probably the top six or seven teams that I would really expect the managers and the players know how to play international baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've definitely been been around and seen it before that team, Gav I'm going to put you on the spot here. I was not familiar with Stuart Fairchild's connection with Chinese Taipei, So can you shed any further light on that? Being the former Reds family, you.
Speaker 3: Are, so, Stuart Fairchild, he's a non roster invitee for the Guardians. At the moment, I think, yeah, his mother's Taiwanese or from Taiwan, so that's how he qualifies. The Cubs also have a prospect, their first base prospect, Jonathan Long. He looks quite de Taiwan or Chinese tipe Ai. They're just such a difficult one to judge because they are ranked second in the world and they finished bottom of their group last time. But all of the five teams in the group last time finished with a two and two record, and Taiwan finished last because of the tiebreak, and so they picked themselves up and immediately won the Premiere twelve, which is like the w BSC's version of the World Baseball Classic, beating Japan, as Russ said earlier, and breaking Japan's like thirty game unbeaten record. So they are an incredible team I and you just I don't know if it's erratic or if it's just unlucky, but you just never really know what to expect from them. So they qualified again. They finished and the qualification they were against Spain, Spain, the team who keep beating gb in these tournaments. Spain had scored more runs they'd conceded fewer runs and they've beaten Taiwan in the round robin stage, but by the time the group was finalized, they both had the same a mounted points, but instead of this having a tiebreak, they had to play a one off game, which Taiwan won. So they're here in the WBC and spain a back home watching again. So yeah, I think you have to accept that if you're the Premier twelve champions and you're ranked second in the world, you have to be a pretty good team. So yeah, even though we don't know anyone else apart from Stuart Fairchild, I think we have to accept that they are going to be a challenge for everyone. When I say we don't know anyone else there is, I'm going to butcher his name because they are much better at Italian names than I am. Taiwanese Sunchi Ching who has just been picked up by the Red Sox and they or his fifth team of twenty twenty six as he serves thee the waves of DFA one.
Speaker 1: Of those ways of wire adventures. Yeah, there are a couple of guys Youmin Lynn for the Dbacks has been considered a decent prospect at one point the a's of stock Palm. Three of these guys, I think why end Lynn is on our ra's prospect list number twelve. So there are some guys in the miners who were considered decent prospects here as well.
Speaker 2: And agree are very shang So as a Cleveland fan who watched him as he come through and spune some time. I think in Boston at the end or whatever, as Gavin said, in the qualifying tournament.
Speaker 4: And took a bit of an interesting route. They didn't really play most of the players that played in the premiere twelve. They kind of used it as a.
Speaker 2: We're gonna let like our kind of second tier guys all have a tournament and see who plays well, and then they nearly bottled it. So quite a lot of their team that were involved in that qualifier are not in this team, and it was only it was only Yuchang who was one of the main players that was kept. And it was potentially one of the only reasons why Btawan made it back to the tournament, because that could have been a serious embarrassment if they had kind of not taken the qualifier seriously and then lost because of it.
Speaker 1: An unconventional approach Okay, we should do the last group before we run out of time. Paul d features Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, the Netherlands, Israel and Nicaragua. I don't think we can look past the Dominicans the headline team to talk about here. So Gav, where do we begin with this squad? I mean, this is right up there with Japan and the US for some of the star power, right I.
Speaker 3: Think I'd argue that it's better this team is just all three of us play fantasy baseball. You know, we have to admit that. And when you see Julio Rodriguez, Juan Soto and Fernando Tatis in the in the outfield, and then the the infield four of Guerrero, queertl Marte, Heraldo Podomo and Manny Machado and Junior Cameronero on the bench, and then no At Dh and then Jeremy Penner on the bench, that is just it's an extraordinary lineup. And this time they have got the pitching to go with it, which I think has always been the problem. So you've got Sandie Alcantara and Christopher Sanchez as well as Lewis Severino and Brian Bello, So it's yeah, this looks to be a really it's a dream team, and they have never They won the tournament once, but they've never been to the final. Apart from that. I don't actually think they've been to the semi final apart from the time that they won it. So they've never performed as well as they should do. But this is this is a team for the A and they haven't got a couple of their best players in Elie de la Cruz and Jose Ramirez. So Jose Ramirez, as Russell hinted at earlier, it is a very weird situation because he it appears now that he feels snubbed that they were going to play Manny Machado at third base and he didn't. He thinks that he's a better third basement, which quite rightly he is. So instead of being a team player, I think he's decided that he's going to skip the Paul games and he might come back for the knockout stages. I didn't even know that that was possible, But according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland whatever the Cleveland papers called, yeah, that's what his plan is.
Speaker 1: This seems very unlike jose Ramirez Russ. Based on what we know about him being you know, real Cleveland guy, loyal to the team, it sort of seems quite against the character that we've here there two.
Speaker 4: Known about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a question of, like, there are so many other factors that go on to hear that we kind of we we don't really really know. Yeah, but the view that I have from of Joseiahs as a Cleveland fan and everything that I've read about him is, yeah, he's signed multiple extensions at Cleveland at pretty friendly rates to stay at Cleveland and be a Clevelander flirt for life. He says that it his recent extension, he was just like, I'm fifty percent Dominican, fifty percent Cleveland. There, so like he clearly kind of sees that and pushes that through. So this is a bit there's definitely there's some politicking going on here.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the manager is Albert Pouhole's as well, which means that there's there are characters in this room of the best of times. Even we throw a manager into it as well who was potentially a bigger character than half of the players.
Speaker 4: New guys go through. Now you would have hoped they're able to do this.
Speaker 2: In some regards, some people have said it might actually be better that for the Dominican Republic, they's done around that they do just have like here is your clear starting nine and not having these potential arguments that have existed in the past to be like who's actually starting who's and people getting getting upset. But even without Jasimiras, as Gammon said, it's it's the best like seven on the field. Obviously Osin Wells or Augustin Ramirez brings it down slightly compared to like the Team USA from a catching perspective, but the seven on the infield and the three in the outfield that it's better than every other team that's out there. You've got to hope that it works and they pull it together from a pitching perspective, because geesh, this is this.
Speaker 4: This is a squad. This is a squad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I feel sorry for the other teams in this group because Venezuela are not all that far behind, right, Gav Like, there's a lot of pretty excellent players on this team too. It kind of looks like the top two spots in this Paula are very much you know, favor towards these two teams.
Speaker 3: I think as far as the talent of MLB or the MLB talent on display gos, Yeah, Venezuela looked to be just behind Dominican Republic but above the other three. But yeah, it is an extraordinary lineup they're able to produce because it did look maybe a month ago that they were really struggling because of obviously the political problems that were happening, and then certain players were saying that they weren't going to play, Certain players weren't entirely sure if they were going to be able to play. And then throw into that Hooseale too they found out that he was going to be ineligible. But yeah, the roster when it was announced, it was almost everyone that they could possibly have wished for. So you've got Eduardo Rodriguez and Rein Yes Rain I was trying to say his name properly, ranger A Suarez says his name's not Ranger's, Rana Rana Suarez and Pablo Lopez. So that's a really good three starters you have, and then a decent number of bullpen arms. You've got the Contreras guys and Salvador Perez so that's three catchers, or I suppose Wilson contrerosism the catcher anymore. But then yeah, with Ronald of Kunea Junior and Jackson Curio in the outfield, Yeah, you can't imagine how good the Venezuela versus Dominican Republic game is going to be maybe five of the ten best outfielders on the planet playing at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yeah it be they.
Speaker 3: Should, they should do it, but you never know, as we said before, in these one off games, in these short tournaments, with all these extra rules, maybe you don't count out them. The Netherlands seem to do really well in this tournament, and you know who knows about Israel and the pride that can be instilled, that can that could bring an extra few percent out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Dominican that Dominican republics Venezuela, the game being the final game of the group. As with I think a few of the other it's I think it's the only one where I think the theoretically the number one and the number two team are playing each other for the last game of the group, so it has has the potential to do with all the dominoes to be avoiding a game against I think they will have to play Japan basically if they end up running up of that pool. So you're probably looking to really try and try and win that. But no Asa said dependence whale and like wine up is is strong. I think that game against in Miami will be a pretty epic game the one last So games with like Puerto Rico and that lot in Miami last year were and Venezuela were all fantastic atmospheres that a lot of the games there. I saw that I had Team USA involved the Mexico game and the Venezuela game, but in Arizona and Miami, the US fans were in the minority in the in those games. So the atmosphere at Lone Depot once again in the WBC will probably be about tenfold whatever it is for the Marlins at any point during the regular season. So you can't can't really look beyond those two teams. But the Netherlands and Israel both have I think they both have like starting like rosters that have been hitters, that you are like you know what you can you can potentially have an impact. I think they both just struggle for anything close when it comes to like the pitching perspective, they both have one or two guys that you could be like, you know what you can you can do something Dean Kramer for obviously that the Netherlands still have Kenlly Jansen taking part in this tournament, who took part is taking part in quite a few WBC's. I think the first time he took on in WBC he was a catcher, So tell Usha how long Kenny has been taking part of these tournaments.
Speaker 4: But that the.
Speaker 2: The in field for the Netherlands that you can pick between Ozzie Albi, Zanderbergard's did Gagorious, Jeremy Profar and Charlie Sloop. It's like there's there's some pretty good names there that you you you would recognize. So Saddel Rafaela joining that team as well means that it's going to be a good, a good, good Dutch team. But I think it as well as Tim Maschol will struggle just from not having the pitching depth.
Speaker 3: It looks like the third definitely in the group though, Sedan Rafaela in the outfield with the Jerks and Profi and the manager's son Drew Jones.
Speaker 4: So a geat epetism.
Speaker 3: It looks like they will be competitive in every single game. But you know, if it was over a seven games series, you wouldn't give them a chance. But as I keep going on, in these one off games, they can easily get a couple of wins and then you suddenly find that they're the ones who are played in Japan in the in the next round.
Speaker 1: What a prize to look forward to. So we shouldn't skip over Nicaragua with the final team on the list. Any any hopes for these guys? Could they pull off an upset against the Netherlands or Israelists.
Speaker 3: Any team that is managed by Dusty Baker? You have to give a chance. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, it's like it's what I well think me definitely discussed this in the past that like, actually Hall of Fame managers don't do particularly well switching over to international baseball. It's a it's a it's a very different kettle of fish. But same as you said, like with the Brazilian team, Like even though you might in some regards clearly say they are the weakest team in the group, you would be you would be daft to basically say that they're just gonna lose, because hey, like even the Rockies beat the Dodgers every now and then, so it's it's like it's a possibility. The leading guys for probably for Nicki, Raker's Mark Vientos, who still currently is a Met. Who know if he'll be a Met by the time the tournament actually takes place, but yeah, I think he's He's probably that there's a there's a name that a few other people might know in Jeta Downs if people remember the Mookie Betts trade, and I think it's Ismail Munguia, who is a Yankees prospect. But beyond that, it is it's a lot of players that have played for Nicki regularly in the international tournaments before. Again gives them a little edge because they know how to do this. But I think, respectively, like we do expect them to probably finish last.
Speaker 1: Throwing shade on Royal's legend Chesesla Cusbert Russ, who was worth negative one point six war between twenty fifteen and twenty twenty. Oh man, that is a name that I know that I've picked me up points in fantasy occasionally, probably very briefly picked you up some points.
Speaker 4: He had.
Speaker 1: He had won one decent season in twenty sixteen and then the rest not so much. But big Big leaguer all counts over a thousand Big League Play appearances, so he has the experience. Yeah, and I think he's taken part for them in the last tournament and in part of their qualifiers as well, so yeah, so he's got the international experience.
Speaker 3: So as far as I know, we still haven't got a TV deal, have.
Speaker 4: We in the UK?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I think both sources close and all away from that, something is being worked on. Hopefully when we get to do the Team GB more in depth, we can give some details on that more than we know right now what actually will be. There is also going to be some hopefully organized fan watching events, but again these are also things that are can't be confirmed until how these TV deals are sorted. So yes, hopefully we can confirm all of that in the Malted distributure when these potential deals get finalized one way or another.
Speaker 3: But the games are at some of the games are at really good times. So we've got six pm start for GB Mexico on the Friday nights that's Friday, the sixth of March, and then we have a one am start against USA, six pm on Sunday against Italy and six pm against Brazil. So that's yeah, that's a lot of good base watching those four days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say I didn't say I don't think at the top, but the tournament covers March the fifth to the seventeenth, so that will be the period of which the games take So the World Baseball Classic takes place from the fifth of March to the seventeenth of March. We will update you as soon as we can with more of those details about how to watch the tournament and especially on how to watch those GB games as soon as we get them. As mentioned before, we will also have a GB specific podcast coming up in the very near future. We're hoping to get some very special guests for that one to do watch out for that. As always, please do check out the website at batflips andnurvese dot com. Lots of great content there about the WBC, about MLB, about fantasy baseball. Thank you very much again to gab Ann Rusford joining me on this episode. Great to get their knowledge about the WBC, and we'll be sure to have more of that when we have that GB episode. And we'll be back soon as well with a bit of an MLB off season recap and looking ahead to the season itself, which will be starting in stunder a month and a half now, so exciting times all round. Thanks for listening and we'll catch you next time.