Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to the Blacks and Technology Bit Tech Talk podcast, a show where we talk to black people who are engineers, innovators, educators, inventors, change makers and entrepreneurs doing amazing things in the world of technology. The Big Tech Talk podcast is where they show how they are stumping the divide by sharing their stories, experiences, ideas, knowledge and perspective on tech with the big community.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone to the Blacks of Technology Big Tech Talk Podcast. I'm your host and also the founder of the Blacks and Technology Organization, Greg Grienley, and I'm delighted tonight to have doctor Marquisi appears on the show. Doctor Marqusi appears as the founder and principal consultant at ruby Leaf Media. It's a science media and communications company. She empowers tech accelerators and investors who support their portfolio companies in the STEM fields, and she has consulted over one hundred science professionals, academics and entrepreneurs, guiding them through their startup journey. So I'd like to come doctor Marquisia to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. This is such an honor.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you, definitely appreciate it. So let's jump right into it. Tell us a little bit about yourself, you know, kind of where you're from, your education, all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Sure, So I like to start off by saying, I'm a military kid. My parents served in the military. My dad did twenty years in the Marines and my mom did twenty five years in the Army. So we moved all over the place, all over the states, and I call Michigan home. My grandparents was there and most of our family was there, and so even though we moved so many places, we would always come back to Michigan. I now currently reside and spend a lot of my time in Columbus as well. And during Ohio yep, Columbus, Ohio, yep.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're right down the street from me, I'm in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We actually we met at one of the black tech meetups in Cincinnati's I think that's.
Speaker 2: How we first did. I'm terrible, sorry, right down the streets.
Speaker 3: We were into my husband and I for a little while, and then we moved to Columbus UH for a job opportunity that that he had, and I continued to work UH via the via virtual land with a lot of my clients still in Michigan UH and looking to you know, branch out to the Ohio ecosystem as well. We did UH undergrad I was pre farm UH in Michigan at Calvin College Calvin University and then transferred to Purdue University for biology. That by that time I realized that pharmacists did actually do the research around all of these drug discovery and inventions. And so by that time I was already into undergraduate research. I was a McNair scholar, and that really opened my eyes to it takes a team, it takes a village, and being able to be on the research side of tech was where my primary focus was. It was there where I learned the camaraderie that could come with the lab and being able to work on a team to solve like a really big important problem. So after my bachelors at Purdue, I pursued my PhD at Vanderbilt University and then I opened what opened my eyes was Hey, in order to get these cool technologies outside of the lab, you usually have to start up a company. You have to put together interdisciplinary team. They call it tech commercialization, which is really, you know, a fancy way of saying you have to have different milestones and people involved to push the tech out to the market to actually benefit the people who meet them. And so at that time I was supplementing my PhD. I did a PhD in molecular physiology, but I was interested in in management. How do you manage a tech in this particular manner, How do you get a team together with business people and clinicians and researchers to make sure the story makes sense. And so I audited a lot of engineering courses in management courses to kind of supplement that perspective. So by the time I graduated, I knew I wanted to be in that tech commercialization space. And I did an NBA while I was doing a postdoc, which was a really unique setup because the team that I was working with, they were on the research side looking to commercialize or actually push out a oncology therapeutic. It's called a business biopharma. I was a postdoc at Michigan State University and and that team wanted to build a company around this this tech, and it was it was a great opportunity to get the science and continue my my journey as a scientist, but also start up a company. I was team member number three after two academic founders, uh to you know, get that story up and going and get the company going. And so I kind of chopped that all under under. You know, this is the education that led me to this, this particular career path.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's pretty fascinating. I'm interested in knowing how many clones of you are there, because how do you do all this how do you do all that stuff? Strategic?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I wanted to make sure and it was chaotic. So when I was getting my my NBA, I picked a school that was close to my family. I just wanted to. After I got my PhD, I was a little burnt out and I was like, I need to be around people, grounding, like my sisters. I need to laugh, I need to I need to just be around people to pour into me. And so I picked an NBA program where I could I could commute there and just be close to home. And this particular campus was literally a block away from where my postdoc was. And so the advanced or excuse mean, the executive NBA program we would meet only on Thursday nights from since six to ten. And then I if you ever hear the story of like the postdoc woes you're in the lab, you might take a break, but in molecular postdoc training, usually running some type of time course, you had to go back up to the lab afterwards and kind of finish the experiment. So some nights I would leave my NBA class and then go back to lab so that I can, you know, finish, finish whatever experiment I had. But it was I strategically kind to put it close together, so it was almost like my own mini joint joint program. And my my post doc u mentor knew about my m b A and my NBA faculty. Uh, they were supportive and you know, knowing that you know, I'm also doing some training, Uh, please have grace. So it's it was it's kind of chaotic, but family being close by really helped.
Speaker 4: BIT is always focused on forming new partnerships and opportunities to assist the community and our members with their continued professional growth and development. If you'd like to partner with us, send an email in queries at blacks and Technology dot net.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how how did you How did you get into the science and things and then more specifically into the research part of it, Like you know, there's there's you can have your sciences, but like research is are totally different based altogether.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I didn't. I knew I wanted to be in science from a really young age. And I think in the nineties what was really going on was, uh, there was a lot of stories and kids getting into how they could help the AIDS epidemic and how they can be involved. I remember specifically there was a girl that was my age who was who was born with HIV and she was she was talking about her story and I think it I think it triggered and triggered something in me to to say, oh, there's something that maybe I could do to help a disease state. And I think that was like one of the turning points. But I went on into undergrad thinking, oh, I need to be a pharmacist because you know they surely that's the people who who they give out the drugs, so they probably make the drugs. So this is why you have to ask questions. Uh. It wasn't until like my sophomore year at I E. P U I and Purdue where at Purdue Indianapolis where I got involved with the McNair scholars and they were, uh, particularly a group of individuals and faculty members and support system that would help first generation students go through to get their PhD. And it was then where I was like, oh, you're looking for a research track. You're looking to you know, be on a team. Uh, that's that's not a pharmacist role. That's that's a PhD. That's how that's how I got the switching and came to the right path of where it needed to be.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, And for those that listen and don't get it twisted, being a proposes is still a rigorous curriculum. Yeah. Yeah. So so how did you then was this coming like your first I guess for a into more of a tech side of it.
Speaker 3: I remember when I was an undergrad thinking, Uh, the school that I went to with the mid air program, they had an undergraduate research program and you got paired of with the faculty member and my member, my faculty mentor was from the school of dentistry. And I remember at that time thinking, how do I talk about this research in a way that would make sense to like my siblings and my parents and things like that. And so I kept thinking about, well, if I'm in a school of dentistry, some of the products and some of the things that they might use. Obviously it's toothpaste, mouth wash, things like that, And so I always had to by my mind, how does this research relate to like a product that I would use all the time or that my my community would use. And I think that kind of sparked the the the realization that what you're doing in the lab does have to transfer to a company like cool Crest. You know have researchers that are thinking on the molecular level, what does that mean for your your oral health? But how do you tell that story to a company to have a product that you know your your family might use. I think at the very basic level, that's when I was thinking, there's there's two sides here that I need to be able to be aware of. I need to learn how to do the science and be disciplined enough to do it, but I also need to and it was really important to me be able to share what are you doing in the lab with like my mom and dad and like, well, what does that mean, what's what's the what's the purpose of it, what is the what's the end goal for you? How does how does this benefit the people that that that are not in the lab. And I think that that's that's the part that really kind of said that there's two sides of this that I'd like to explore.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, it's it's funny, like I don't know if a lot of people know like how certain things come to market and how you know, there's a research phase of this before and then you have to figure out how to how to kind of commercialize this entire thing in order for the market to be able to consume it. I know that people probably know like, oh, yeah, you know, there's you know, there's these big companies like you know, Procter and Gamble and they have there, but like, I don't know if they know like everything that's involved. So it's interesting to hear like from that that base level side of how things actually how things come to the market. So this is interesting. But what excited you about going into the field of science? Like, I know you you shared your story around the whole AIDS epidemic, but once you like kind of got into it, like what what was it? There was exciting that that that kept you in the field.
Speaker 3: When I was in grad school, I did a project where we got a chance to work with another small business that was trying to at the time there was there was a couple of projects that I had, but one one of them was there. It was a company that was trying to use the database that Vanderbilt was was producing around clinical do you identify data? What do they do in their their hospital and their clinical trials, And they were trying to make it available to the public, and they wanted to have people, uh like a committee around it to to kind of say, well, here's how we can do this ethically, and here's how we can have a business story around it, and here's also how do how do we share with the public why we're doing this to get their consent, to get their trust, to get give them equitable access to the founding the findings that we would have later on. And I think that particular project, uh really it was the first time I was able to talk to other business owners other like law students. They had a couple of other students on the on like the committee, and you know, what we said about how how we think this project should go so that it could be equitable and trustworthy for the whole community was taken taken the heart and and it actually was implemented. The policies that they did and that's what kind of was like, oh I can I can work and talk to other people and it actually can produce something something you know, worthwhile and useful. So I think, So I didn't they call it lab hands. I didn't really have great lab hands, Like I would do an experiment in the lab a couple of times, you know, usually it wouldn't work. But I could tell based off of, you know, how my colleagues are moving through things that I was a lot more interested in, how do you how do you tell the story? How do I get other people involved? Can we can we do something together? What's the teamwork here? And so while I was writing the dissertation, I was really interested in and how other people were doing there during their training and things like that, And so I think, I think that really that really stuck with me, like how do you translate this this stuff and what's exciting? And it's still exciting now. So recently I got a chance to now I get a chance to work with a lot of founders there. They're professors who are you know, going through the process. They've gone through the rigorous training scientifically how to get their tech, but that training usually doesn't include well, how do you put together a business plan, how do you put together a team, how do you delegate things that are non technical to your team, and how do you turn that tech story into business story so that you can get strategic partnerships, so you can get funding, so you can get you know, people to to to put on or be a part of your your story. And it's being an entrepreneur coach is a lot of therapy. It's a lot of sessions of like, here's how I can connect you to others and being able to know what they've been able, what they've done in the past. It really excites me to bring something new, like a new perspective, uh to you know, something that they've been entrenched in in so long and say well that's great, let's think of it in a different way. That's what That's what really excites me.
Speaker 2: So I'm really interested in knowing if that's the normal I guess cadence or pattern that happens with I guess within the commercial commercialization of a new product, new medical device or something like that. The reason why I'm asking is because like there's there's always people out there that are they're going to be skeptics of the process. And it was interesting for me to hear you talk about, you know, things being equitable. Uh. And you know, when it comes to like you know, quote unquote big pharmacy and all these large you know, medical companies, like people have their skeptical about their intentions and what they're doing. And so when you said that, it was like, Oh, well, I wonder if it's if that's like kind of the normal pattern for a lot of these, it would be good to know because there may be people could could you know, kind of taper a little their skepticism about some of these because no matter what, like there's you're going to have people to you know, big pharmacy or out to get us. They're out to do this, they're out to control us, and that type of thing. But it's always good to kind of hear like someone on on the quote unquote inside Uh. And so I'm just kind of wondering, is that is that a normal process?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's a great question. I would answer in the two folds. So, Uh, when I talk to my colleagues, particularly ones that look like me, who are interested in uh, underrepresented communities or underestimated communities, people who are wanting to take an innovation and and I work with companies that are that are really early stage, so they're they're the most optimistic, they're the most you know, they're the most uh dreamy about what their technology can do. And they're they're really yeah, exactly, they're they're really asking these questions. And so a lot of a lot of my colleagues in the First Town found founders, they're really in tune with why why they're trying to get this this commercialization project up and going. Whether that's a new therapeutic, whether that's a new software company that would help connect hospitals to maybe marginalized communities, whether it's a medical device that would be amazing for you know, people of different different shades, different sizes, you know, some of those things come and come to bear. And so what what I like hearing about those those particular conversations is, you know, before they before they get to an exploratory path where you're you're really focusing in on how we can make a difference and what the milestones are. Those conversations are are really inclusive, and the people who are doing the research, they're you know, they're they're also making sure you know, there's some things that aren't right in clinical trials and how they recruit and how people use the data. How do we change that conversation or make it accessible?
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: One of the founders that I really love working with, she she's looking at how we can use AI to to start making predictions of different molecules, and she's already thinking about, well, the data that we input into the algorithm, it needs to be diverse, it needs to have these different types of perspectives so that you could build a strong foundation. And there's there's a lot of people who are advancing that that that perspective, even with the big companies. One of the the uh uh maybe she'll be my colleague one day. But one of one of the people that I really enjoy following is doctor Joy from the uh Uh. She has like this algorithm of justice leads where she she just had a Netflix documentary. You know, how do we how do we make sure that the people on the on the round building these things take into account the biases of you know, just human nature and and being inclusive about the training and the talent to ask these questions. Is how you do that? And so building that team is super important and Uh, I'm on the more optimistic side with the new founders and and they're getting their milestones, but it's it's more prev We have a long way to go, but it's more prevalent now of at least including in your story. How do you how do you account for these particular things? And it helps when you, like you said, you have people who look like you who are telling what they're doing about it, but also show showing that you know, I'm speaking out so that other new companies and other new innovations that are going in the pipeline all are aware of this. That might have been a long winded way of saying there's no no, no, yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 2: I definitely appreciate the answer. I mean it essentially the new generation is holding us down. So I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: What's up everyone? We hope that you're enjoying this episode of the Blacks and Technology Big Tech Talk podcast. Do you or someone you know have a dope story that they want to share with our bit audience. Blocks and Technology is seeking guests to be on our podcast. We're looking to highlight the journeys and experiences of black women and men in the tech industry. So if you know of someone, send them our way, shoot us an email to contact us at blacks and Technology dot net, or click on the link in the show notes and fill out our form. We're looking to hear from you. So yeah, so let's talk a little bit about ruby Leaf Media and what are some of the things that led you to found in this company.
Speaker 3: So it's it's been established since my grad school days, and at first it was a way that I could be able to do small market research projects or small volunteer or uh scope based projects in a way that that could complement my my training. And so I had it on this on the side for a little while. And recently, what I've learned in just growing in the ecosystem and figuring out how the ecosystem works around tech commercialization, I noticed that there was people that are connectors in the ecosystem. These are your entrepreneurial support systems, and my time with the Small Business Development Center really showed how they worked together. And I continue to or the goal that I have with the company is to support these these partnerships or these these organizations when it comes to high tech companies. I'd love to use my my PhD, my NBA. The fact that when when we started that company UH with my with my post doc team, we it was a a small drug pharmaceutical company that got acquired. So those end up you end up seeing steps along the way that could be useful for other founders and being able to do that on a scalable level, supporting the the organizations that are doing that. That's what we're relief is about primarily, and then also being able to champion the story around uh underestimated, underrepresented founders who are doing the journey. They've they've been in the field, they've been working their path sometimes gets overlooked or sometimes uh uh I would say, they're their milestones look a little bit different than maybe the traditional tech founder that gets all the media attention and things like that. But it but being able to just share and champion the story of founders, the diversity of founders, and how to support them and and give them milestones that that would make a difference. That's that's what real belief is about. So it started with just just being able to in my other my colleagues that were in the postoc setting, then I graduated. Then it was founders who were also starting a company and then I did that, and then I expanded to the support systems that support them, and it's just it's an extension of how I feel like I can best support this, uh, this community as as I grow as well.
Speaker 2: Nice. Nice, So talk to us a little bit about what a typical engagement looks like, like what from like you know, don't have to go into like every little detail, but I kind of start to finish I give us an idea on like what that would look like.
Speaker 3: Sure, So now that I'm working with organizations, I'll tell you one of one of my favorites. Actually it's it's it's a typical pathway of how I interact with founders, but it was happening in a in a group setting. So I have had a contract with Michigan State University Research Foundation with a group called Spartan Innovations, and they're tasked with the the the job of making sure that any any staff, student, or faculty member that that is affiliated with the university, if they have a small business that is around a high tech or or innovation that the the the university is a part of, maybe they've they've helped provide funding for that patent or for the research to be done there. There they're tasked with the the the goal of getting that company or getting that technology out into out into the world and out into the marketplace. And so as an entrepreneur residence, I would work with a faculty member. They have this great idea, we've been working on it for a little while, we might have a patent around it, We've been working with the university. We think that, uh, this this has the opportunity to serve more people. So the first thing that the that Spartan Innovation will do is assign them an entrepreneur in residence and that's somebody to kind of program manage, kind of guide them, kind of connects them to an ecosystem that will give them a good foundation to start to tell that that business story of their technology. I recently had an opportunity to do this on a on a group scale where they put together an accelerator that was for how to get these founders funding. Funding is like like you need you need funding, these are these are really big projects. And so we put together an accelerator for ten of these founders. So there were some students, uh it could have been for postdocs, but all around the state. Uh, to go through a program where they at the end of it, they could have a really good chance of getting non deluted government funding, which means a grant basically to to to move on UH for their for their technology. So we took ten founders through this program. It was eighteen weeks. We were able to work with them one on one. I was giving them access to different people in the community that would help move their story along, whether it was somebody a lawyer to talk through their their intellectual property strategy, where there was a contract manufacturer who'd say, hey, in order for us to build this for you, we need you to be at this particular level, and giving them basics of how you would form a company, how you would build a business model around it. And they really enjoyed it. It was a great compliment to the training that they already were receiving. They were able to get connected. They were able to have like a checklist of how do you actually go out to get these grants from the National Science Foundation, the National Institution of Health, the Department of Defense, and so they got connections around those as well, and so at the end of it, they stayed engaged. Eighteen week Accelerator is super hard to do sometimes to stay engaged, but eighty percent of them finished the program. The ones that went on to pitch their idea for the NSF, they were invited to submit a full proposal. We gave them access to twenty six different teachers, sixteen different organizations in the state that could help them, and one of them is raising a multimillion dollar round right now off an idea that she she put together in the accelerator program. So being able to provide a framework for supporters of these founders is something that excites me. As an individual consultant, I do this, I do something very similar frameworks. Here's who, here's people that you can connect to for funding, for marketing research, things like that, And it looks different for each for each engagement, but really the whole goal is to work either one on one or in a group with founders who are like, I have an idea, What's what's the first couple of steps can I can I take to start building it?
Speaker 2: And I would I would think that this is super important because, like I'll take me as an example, so there is a for profit component of blocks and technology, So essentially it's me running running a business and you know I have an engineering background. I'm like, I don't know the first thing about running running a business, so I would I would think that that would be something that is that's something that you would come across all the time, Like you have these researchers that these people that are deep into the science and technology part of it, but they're not business people, right, And so having having a company such as as your company or someone like you in their corner to say, you know, one, two, three, like these are the steps that you need to take. It's it's incredibly beneficial, Like it should be a pre wreck for for anyone anyone starting a company, and they should, I feel should have someone like that, but not everyone does.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's kind of like learning a different different language. That's that's why I usually say it's you have to turn your text story, which is chalk full of great exploration and features of what you've been able to build and uh, just this cool journey that you've been on, into a business story, which is what are the benefits of this technology? How will you get it to people? How will you sustain you know, this operation? And it's it's when I say bridging the gap, it really is this this translation if you will of we're going from exploratory mode to how do we sustain this and uh commercialize it?
Speaker 4: Do you have a product or service that you would like to share with the big audience, or maybe you'd like to support the bit community and do your part in helping us with stomping the divide start by sponsoring one of our podcasts. Please email us at contact us at blacks and Technology dot net.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I would say, you know, just crossing paths with people who are more of entrepreneurial side, meaning they have the ideas, right, A lot of them that I've come across, they don't have the business side of it, Like they even with their own ideas, they don't know the best ways to go, but like who to connect to the best ways to go about trying to market it, whether or not you need to build build an entire prototype out or if you just like any of that stuff, like they don't have a full grasp on like they have all these wonderful ideas, but like, hey, is anyone actually going to buy that? Do you think anyone would buy that? Or how do you scale that? If if if it came to the points where you're being able to scale. So I'll give an example. Call on and I have a friend he had a really really good idea. This was this was not science or tech or anything like that, but he had a got a really good idea about a product. Uh. And so, uh, you know, I gave him some advice about, you know, having a website and you know, setting up your website to take orders and and everything like that. And so he had an Instagram page he had and so one of the things that he would do when someone would inquire about like his product, people say, you know, hey, give me a call, and I would say, hey, like, that's that's not scalable, Like you cannot have everyone who wants to give you a call. Like you need to set up everything on your website. You need to have you know, all your photos of your merchandise and everything there because your your your your website is there to be able to take, you know, take all these orders and you know you can only take one order at a time if you're on a phone. Uh. And sometimes it depended on like you might run into a scenario where you're on the phone and someone can't get through. Then what so I said, I'd have to say, like, I know that there's like this disparity between like people with the big ideas and the business side of it and you what you're doing is kind of bridging, like providing like this kind of scaffold for these people to be able to follow so that they can get their ideas from just an idea state to hopefully a commercial commercialization state.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's there's steps even though that it's a it might be a different technology, there's steps along the way that are fairly similar, like the like what you were talking about, how can you have a framework or sometimes it's a checklist, like if you want to get money from the government, you have to apply to these particular grants. They need these three registrations to be done, and you need you know, you need to make it out. You need to be able to have these these things in your proposal, particularly around UH innovations that are in the in the medical field, sometimes you have to think about your your if your customer is a hospital, there's a couple of people who have to weigh in on that decision before it even gets to the end user or the or the patient or the person that you that you're you're really trying to provide a service to and so I'll see a lot of a lot of time a founder will have this great idea about a software, a medical device or something where there's a couple of there's a couple of people that you need their insight and expertise to kind of guide you on what milest what step do you need to get to, so it makes sense for them before it even gets to the patient. So if you're working with the hospital, if you think you want to work with a hospital, you're you know, realistically you might can only do one or two at a time, and they're they're thinking about, Okay, well, will this integrate with something that we already have, will this workflow completely disrupt our what our clinicians are trying to do? You have this app that is really user friendly for you know, maybe a person in the community or elderly or things like that. But if the information is needing to go to a clinician or or a healthcare professional, there's different checklists there before you even talk about the benefits of you know, the patient and so being able to kind of frame the story of uh, this is a great idea, here's the benefit for you. The hospital or the clinician, and in turn you'll be able to benefit your patient or you know, somebody in the community. Sometimes telling those different stories it helps to walk through that was somebody and then get some get some Uh. They call it customer discovery, but it really is just having a couple of conversations under your belt about what's really the problem. That's that's that's the main hold up for why something like this doesn't exist in the first place.
Speaker 2: And is that why? Uh the accelerator program. Is that why it it's such a long program. It's because it's like part of this medical science feel and these things are not you know, it's not and I don't I don't mean to demean or or or anything to any other say like uber right for instance, like you take a ride share program or application like that, Like that's something that might not take as long and a accelerator because it's not life or death. You're not dealing with patients and you're not dealing with health and medicine and things like that. So they might be able to go through an acceleration program in a month or you know, two months, as opposed to what is it for four and a half months? That they go through yours is it because of the it's you know, the medical field, science field.
Speaker 3: Uh. There were two things that led us to try to try to expand the time that we had with the founders. One one was the first It was the second time that we had did the accelerator and the first time we went through it, we noticed that there needed a little bit more basic business foundation, uh, to just kind of say this is this is a framework for how your story is going to be told. We can put this in a business model canvas. You have to really work through who your customer, the problem that you'll solve, the solution, and what that value proposition would be. And we took our time with that, so we're like four weeks just doing that. In the meantime, you know, here's how you would form a company. This is the difference between an LLC or a C corp. This is how if you are with a university and you're a facty member, this is how you disclose that you want to actually have a company that you want to start up. And the proper process to say, you know, to work with your university to you know, actually start a company. That took a little bit longer, and it was a little bit more customized to the founders. I think this next time along around it won't be as long, or we try to try to condense it, but it was longer because I did want to include in this process where you know, you might have, like I was talking about earlier, you might have a conversation with a customer, an end user, or somebody this project was built for. And that's that's pretty much all the feedback you need. Will will like in your example, will a customer be willing to get in a car with a stranger? Would they be willing to use the app to call a ride? If you go with that model. With the medical device, you know, well does the does the patient want a better drug? Well, it will always be yes, But you have other different types of well, how how do you safely manufacture this particular drug or this medical device? How do you talk to the f d A. There's different it's so regulated that you know, being able to just be exposed to the regulatory part took a little bit longer. That might not be as prevalent if you were doing a direct to consumer technology. We also I also put in a month so that we were working on something as as uh so that at the end of it you actually had something to to turn it. And so we were doing these what I call di y together uh type of session where it was like, Okay, the hardest thing that people usually get tripped up on is making sure their financials have a realistic story behind them. So we'll work through it all together. We'll have somebody you know kind of come through. We'll look at your cap table or the people who own who you think will have equity in the company, will you know, work out a strategy. And so I think we really took our time with it. There were some parts that could be condensed, but you're right, there's there's some things in the medical the health care healthcare space where you just need to be exposed to a lot more pieces in order for it to be uh de risks or in order for it to make sense to a funding mechanism like a brand or a VC.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, that seems pretty uh like a like a pretty rigorous process. But I would think that it would need to be uh when you're dealing with anything in medicine and healthcare.
Speaker 3: And that's why it really does take a village like you could you could there's there's some place for you to get that information somehow. But you know the purpose of an accelerator is to get you those connections when you're you're first starting to think about it, so you're not building and turning your wills on something uh that's you know, doesn't have the benefit of having the insight of these different people who will ultimately fund or need to partner with you to get it going. It's it's sounds it is super complicated, but it's it definitely is a place where you know, if you if you have this village or you have the support system, it can be a little bit easier, a lot of it easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And I would think that I would think it would be fun like to be to be you, and I know that it's probably a lot of work. And I'm not, you know, trying to dismiss any of any of that, but I'm saying from a from the standpoint of seeing some of this cutting edge stuff, uh, you know coming to market. Uh and and and not only that, like I'm pretty sure it's almost it kind of reminds me of not not exactly, but like the like patent, like how you patent technology like in order to get a patent, like the people who are in these patent offices, they have to go through things with the fine tooth calling and make sure you're not infringing on others. And they get to see all these ideas coming to them like oh wow, this is this is incredible and now you know, and they have to and and not only that, but these people also have to have a mind for the feel that they are are approving patents for. Like you can't just be you know, Joe Schmoe on the street and go work in the patent office because you know, there's a lot of technical you know, and a lot of jargon in these patents that you that you have to know. I would think that from from the science side of you, that like has to Like if it was me and it was like all tech stuff and it was you know, text stuff coming out, I was seeing all this stuff, like I would, I would kind of geek out. So I'm just I'm kind of wondering if you if you have that.
Speaker 3: Same I definitely do you hit it on the on the head. It's it's a way to like keep up with the field in a whole different manner. I think one of the things that I was missing in my pH d, like, uh, journey was it was it was very academic. It was very you know, very narrow. Obviously it was academic, but it was very narrow and like you know, you only had time or to kind of get really really deep in one particular nuanced subject, so you could get at the cutting edge at edge of knowledge, but you know, being able to hear how people are trying to end it on the clinical side, and people are trying to innovate and use a I to to help with the process side or the design side, and then seeing how you know, uh, these are these are the the questions and experiments that they were taught to do because they're they're thorough, they're exploratory, they're they're able to you know, they're they're supposed to get really deep in niche. And then this is how you turn it so that it's it's it makes sense for people who who want to take it in different ways and be able to to market it and and tell a lot of different type of stories and founders themselves, they're they have they have this way of looking at a perspective where all it all it takes is like a spark to be like, oh, you know, I didn't really think of it like that. That that makes sense, And so usually they're willing to like as soon as as soon as you start to to volley back and forth, well have you thought about how particularly you would you would answer this question when they ask it like this, or how would you collaborate with this team? They'll it's it's fireworks, and so you know, it's super fun working with them. It's it's it's challenging. So you're you feel like you are building with them because it is. It could be a very long road, but I really do like it. And being able to work with uh the ecosystem supporters, people who are like, hey, it's our job to write the checks so that we can create jobs and so that with the talent can stay here in the community, and you know, those are the things that they care about, and so being able to support support that effort on the ground level is like, Okay, here's how you can connect to this abundance of resources. Is just a great place to be, Like, I love it.
Speaker 2: It sounds extremely fulfilling, definitely.
Speaker 4: The BIT Foundation has established featured partnerships and programs with companies such as Amazon, AT and t comp, t i A, tech Stars, and more to provide our members with the resources we want and need to thrive and succeed in this tech ecosystem. To learn more, visit Foundation dot blacks and Technology dot net. Join now and remember membership is free.
Speaker 2: Let mean you talked about challenges, Let's talk what has been some of the most challenging aspects of running this type of consult company.
Speaker 3: So I would say it's the most challenging part for me has been ironically, how do you how do you say you're you're a bridge builder? Like? How do you package up? Like? The The part that I think is really valuable is the the expertise that I that I bring to the table being a life science a life science professional, I had training. I'm trained in molecular physiology. I also complimented that with the n b A what what how? How do you uh have a sustainable company? That that is the value proposition, But it goes beyond just just you, you know, being able to scale, Like we were talking about sustainability. You know, if if I'm if I'm only serving when I'm on one call with one founder or even a group, how do I continue to bring value in other types of ways. And so I'm learning what is what does scaling and sustainability mean to a service service provider like myself that is bringing you know, the whole whole point of it is so that you can disseminate uh this expertise and connections. And so I'm learning how to package it or and how to how to share it with groups of people who who see the need for that bridge building and be able to uh who are really trying to champion that support because for founders, you know, there's a particular time where you need that. But I think the scalability comes from supporting the ecosystem and not not solely just the founders. So that's I think that's been the challenging part. Uh. And you know, I kind of moved and changed ecosystem for the past ten years I was serving Michigan and broadening out my footprint as well. I'm learning still just like just like every other entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope this podcast helps and in some ways, you know, bring people to because I would think that it seems when I hear you explain it, it almost sounds like a no brainer to me. It almost sounds like, oh yeah, we definitely need her, like we need someone like her, Like it shouldn't even be a question, it should just be automatic. But just like everything else, like you always kind of have to sell yourself and sell, like you said, the value proposition of people, because there are some people who don't even know that they might need you need your services, right, and so how do you how do you reach those people or how do you how do you how do you communicate that value proposition to them so that light bulb goes off with them like oh, yeah, this is a no brainer, let's let's hire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say this, like hopefully when this podcast drops, like there will be people out there not only they can utilize your services, but can also hear what you need and say, hey, like I think I can help her, you know, formulate like what that message is for her service, and because I know some people who are who are really good you know, with with with doing that, like and yeah, so hopefully like this brings like some some some ears to to what you need as well, and they can they can reach out to you.
Speaker 3: So I appreciate welcome the conversation.
Speaker 2: Excellent excellent. So I know you're you kind of talk to us about like what the engagement is and and and everything, but what are some of the things that you feel And this is more like giving some advice that some like startup companies, because you've dealt with a lot of them, should do like in the beginning of their journey that they often miss like besides, besides hire you, like, yes, hire me, but what what are some other things that you should like right off bat like before you start going down do.
Speaker 3: This have conversations with your potential customers and who you think your partners would be. You know, they call it customer discovery, and people sometimes think, well, you know, uh, if I just if I just talk to people, like surely surely people will see the benefit and I'll go build it and then I'll come back and present them with something with high tech things, with things that have a lot of different people who who want to give insight or you need their insight with nothing beats really having a conversation and being able to have multiple ones so that you can almost say it exactly in their words what their biggest pain point is or what their biggest opportunity or goal is. Because people. When you're able to articulate somebody's problem as clear as it is in their head or how they would say it, people automatically assume that you have the answer for its Oh, you know exactly what I'm going through. Yes, surely whatever you're about to say is beneficial. So being able to have mint dozens thirty forty different conversations before you start building helps and then build kind of out in the open if you can. So what I mean by that is the people who maybe might be your testers or maybe your users or like will who will see that MVP or that that alpha version whatever, cultivate a relationship where you are getting their feedback and you're still having those conversations. Here's here's what I heard you say your problem and pain point was here's my solution? Did I get it right? What would your tweak? And just be open to having that very direct dialogue so and be able to implement it, because you know, building something in the dark, especially if you have a long road ahead of you, is hard and more hard than it needs to be. So customer discovery, or in other words, have more conversations with your your customer, with people who who could get you to that, next that, next steps. Who would who could have the funding for you, who could have the partnership for you? WHOA what what does it take for me to actually engage with your company? What are you looking for? What are the milestones? What what are some of the problems that you're that you're going through, And and do it religiously and systematically, like listen to them, analyze what they say, and find a way to to quickly input it into whatever you're building and then get that constant feedback loop. That was super long. But talk talk to more people, talk to more.
Speaker 2: No, that's good. Like I have people who who hit me up from time to time an email and they say they have this idea or whatever, and that's not even my round, Like I'm not that you know in that whole startup accelerator saying I know people that are, and I've taken bits and pieces from conversations I've had with them and things that I see to be able to And one of the biggest things is it's like they automatically want to start with the whole building. I want to build this thing and hire these developers and blah blah blah blah, and I'm just like, well, hold on for a second, do you know if anybody actually even needs this, and not only that what they pay for it, right. I've had that from a technical standpoint and from having friends who say like, hey, I've got this idea for this, for this app, and they're not technical logis idea people, and they automatically want to go out and start paying someone tens of thousands of dollars to develop it. And I'm just like, like, they're they're there. They're software out there that will actually help you do a mac up, like it's just a mac up, Like it's just and you don't even have to You're not paying thousands of dollars for this at all, but it'll give you something enough of something to show someone, and then from there you could get feedback on whether or not this is even something you should even pursue because you don't even know that yet. So instead of sinking money into something like why don't you, why don't you ask? And I would say ask, like I always tell them, what do I say? I call it market research? That's what I find, you know, find a bunch of people and just ask them to evaluate, you know, and then at the end say, hey, would you pay for this and how much would you pay for this ten you know, fifteen or whatever before you go building anything like let's let's not go that far yet, and so yeah, I'll see this this particular situation play out like all the time. Uh. So that's that's that's super good advice, like talk to talk to people. And another thing I wanted to touch on is like that whole feedback loop. Like a lot of people there are people out there, uh that don't understand like this, this this constant with this constant feedback loop and what iteration will get you. And I work as a as a DevOps engineer and that's one of the core tenets of DevOps is that you have this feedback loop that constantly cycles back to you about you know, things that you're you know, you're you're you're building and creating, so that you can understand a when things fail, uh, and what things may or may not need to be added or taken away, like you constantly have to have this or else you're going to build something that nobody wants and it's it's all going to be in the image that you thought it was. And you know, there's all these people out there that look'll look at it like this is nothing like I would have Like I wouldn't have asked for this, this, this and this. But you thought, you know, because you didn't ask anyone and you just went and built it. You you passed on your preferences to other people. And that's just not the way things should be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and it helps you to so one of the things one of the expensive lessons that I had learned. I have a coach that I work with and she's she's constantly telling me. You know, it's easier to have a dinner if people are contributing to the process. You can either say, hey, I'm going to have this dinner. I'm gonna it's gonna be a seven course meal or four course meal or whatever. Uh here it's it starts at eight. Be there. Or you could say, hey, we're building something. Can somebody give me some ideas of what the course should be?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Oh, you could build the make the dessert. Oh cool, Well let's do that together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's easier to to uh to get over that I have to have it perfect, I have to have it done. It has to have so many features before I get started. If you kind of keep people in the in the loop why you're building. Say okay, well well we got this little part first. Just tell me what you think about this, and you just build on top of it. It's it's helpful.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that dinner part of the analogy. Like that simplifies it so much, and like you could you could, you know, give someone that analogy and the automatically they're gonna get it right. So I'll love it. I'll start using that. Tell us about a recent success story came out of Ruby Beef Media if you can, like I don't know, like how if any of this stuff is top secret or you know, if there's a das involved, but if you can tell us about a recent success story.
Speaker 3: I'll do one that's personal to me. So I do work with I do work with other accelerators. So one of the accelerators that I that I work with was built one that's called Builders and Backers. I'm on as as a builder in residence and so they have h people who have an idea. Their their whole tenant is you know, being able to in ninety days you're working towards an idea. They give you a little bit of funds five thousand dollars to build an MVP or get get some get some validation under your belt quickly and in a way that doesn't require you to, like you said, have thousands of dollars spent for marketing or developers or things like that, and so being able to work with them, UH. The cool thing was they they work with different regions in in the country. And one of the reasons that one of the reasons that I was able to be paired up with UH was a few that I that I lived in as as a military kid. So we used to live in Alabama. We went to Virginia and had a couple of builders in my core board that was building out health care community apps for that region. And it just meant a lot for me to almost come full circle and help ideas and builders that were that was from a region that that hadn't hadn't been in since you know, my elementary school days, and so still health care still still an idea, still like let's build something together, and they were able to at the end, have you know, have done a couple of experiments if you will, of like how this is how I can validate an idea and get some traction, and so the core that I was working with, they all they all got their funding to to get the experiments up and going, and they were able to impact their their community and invite their community to help them in the build building process. And so I have a lot of stories like that that are kind of you know, they're special to me as somewhere. You know, I'm involved with companies that are raising multimillion dollars and and you know, they get the traction and things like that, but I really do value and the ones that I can give a little bit more detail around how how people are interacting with their community on an idea that it was just an idea, but now they have something to build upon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty cool. It's always it's always a little bit more special when it's something that really involves like helping the community out. There's always that kind of like the social aspect to it that that uh social I guess, you know, socially responsible, like that aspect us it's more of a feel good thing than than than anything else. Like, yeah, you can you can go with a company that can raise millions of dollars, but when it's acting the community that you know, you grew up in or that you love or something like that. Then it's it's it feels a bit different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're all all low code, no code tools they were able to access and so you really got to see, you know, barriers being lifted, like you could build something like tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So what do you do outside? Like what are some non science y, non tech things that you do, hobbies or whatever that takes up some of your time when you're not you know, out there helping startups and you know, startup companies and doing accelerators and things like that.
Speaker 3: That's that's a really good question. It takes up a lot of my time. But I do probably out of maybe a testament to being in Nashville music city. I do love to be in the music scene. I play the sac the phone, and the piano. My husband also plays the saxophone. And we we like hearing the jazz bands, like the student bands, the regional bands, and being able to you know, I used I used to play in different churches and things like that, but just just keep up with the music scene, uh, and being able to to just kind of garden a little bit. We've we've gotten on this this kick where we're trying to to plant a couple of different varieties. Uh. My mother in law bought this one plant for me that has blossomed and it's and it's given me this this great self esteem around. Oh maybe I can't keep a plant alive. So we're trying a little bit more. Uh, plant plant based projects. Uh so that that keeps up, that's.
Speaker 2: Keep Yeah, I'm not a green throne. My wife, uh does all the you know, the plants in our house and things like. I'll water them from time to time, but I'm not the person that's gonna go and plant them and things like that. My mom was a huge green thromb. She loved plants, and it just never it never carried down me.
Speaker 3: I'm more I'm more.
Speaker 2: On the tech side. Like I like the tech stuff and that that's it. Like now, if it was something that was doing some pretty cool stuff with plants and tech like, I probably would be into a little bit more. But my wife always talks about getting a farm and guard me and I'm just like the city, I don't want to my garden and my farm is is Kroger, Like that's We'll go to the grocery store pick out we'll do organic this time.
Speaker 3: How about that I was trying to do like, uh where, I feel like that's the starter level. I haven't graduated from it yet. So all of those have died.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's funny. Another interesting thing is that my daughter, she went to the School for Creative for Performing Arts. She was part of the jazz band. She played jazz trombone. So she's a huge jazz lover. Yeah. Yeah, And I went to Performing Arts too. I played in the band. I played the flute though, and I didn't. I didn't. I only stayed there for a couple of years. My daughter graduated from me. She went from fifth to fifth grade to graduation, and she played in a jazz band the entire time. So I have I have a deep appreciation for music of any sort. She she's she's a self taught keyboardist, guitarist, what else. She she can sing write music like she's she's way more musically inclined than I was. But yeah, so we we we like jazz, we like the you know that whole thing. So it's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: It's special. It's great to hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. She had a really good teacher there. His name was I think it was Irwin One's Stucky I think was really good jazz. Yeah. We we would go to all her concerts and they were phenomenal like her jazz. Her jazz band was phenomenal. So it was it was a good time. What's next for Rugby Leaf Media?
Speaker 3: So I'm I'm practicing what I'm preaching and doing uh some. I'm currently doing some more customer discovery and asking more questions around how we can cut more checks to underrepresented and underestimated founders in terms of angel investing and BC investing. So one of my one of my good mentors, her name is doctor Don Bats. She really opened my eyes to the process of how investment gets deployed to these the companies and the founders in the high high tech space. And so being able to include in my support how do you, how do you? How can I help to enable some of this funding to go to underestimated founders is is definitely something that's on my radar. Being able to to do both things, hold the space where yes, we know that venture in venture capital less than three percent goes to women or underrepresented minority founders, and being able to say expertise and the milestones to get you to these really successful exits. How do we how do we bridge how do you bridge this gap? Basically? And so I'm learning more about the diluted funding space and how I can help support the funds that are investing in these these underestimated founders and what I can do to to support and what rubally can do to support support them, because it definitely is a a a subject that's ripe, ripe for transformation. It's it's been ripe. Uh. So that's that's something that I've I've been setting my sites sits on recently.
Speaker 2: Okay, and so what what's next for you?
Speaker 3: Well? Being able to uh actually, UH, if you don't mind, there is a Black Angel Forum that I'm helping to organize that'll take place in Detroit. UH. It's going to be a conversation of all of the Black Angel was going out to all the Black Angel groups and individuals. I'm helping to organize this this uh space for them to share their problems, their paying points, their goals and aspirations. UH. Really looking forward to to helping out the team in that capacity. It's it's a collective between a lot of different different groups. But UH, being able to to help facilitate that conversation. It's is what's what's next on the horizon for me and then being able to implement some of that into you know, how how I how I support these organizations. That's that's it for me. Other than that, you know, we we planted a Japanese maple tree. We're just trying to help it survive and fingers crossed that will make it through the summer. It's looking a little bit. Uh. That's that's my goals in the meantime.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, I don't. I don't have any advice for you maple treat I would just say water it. That's like the safe, the safe advice, Just water it. So how can folks follow you? You know, follow the relief media? How can you know follow you to learn more? Uh?
Speaker 3: The best way right now is to connect with me on LinkedIn. I try to post my companies post on theres as well as different events that I go to, and that I think is really great for founders who are trying to establish their their tribe. I'm in the middle of building out out what that looks like, but it's that's that's probably the best way to find me. And in all the various projects that I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent, and I will put a link to that in the show notes to your LinkedIn page. I do want to say this, like, if there is anything that I can do, that bit can do to help accelerate what you're doing in any capacity, even if it's just a hey, do you know you know anyone who does so and so, or can you connect me? I see this person that's connected with you on LinkedIn? You like, don't hesitate to reach out to me via email, via LinkedIn or however you need to, Like, I'm like, this is this whole thing. Boxing technology is not just about my organization or the community built. It's about helping other people and other organizations that have like a similar a similar vision to what we're what we're trying to do. And you know, with you helping underrepresent the underestimated founders, I think that that aligns perfectly with what we're trying to do is as a home. So just feel free to reach out and say hey, even if it's hey, you think they might want to be involved. We've got chapters up in Detroit, UH as well, so you know we can we can assist somehow, some way, to get the word out and then you know, we'll do that.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I really appreciate you mean willing to connect. And I've been following you know, the other the other podcasts and the resources. You guys do a great job and is really a staple. Appreciate that to give these resources out to the founders and and all things techt So I really appreciate your guys' work as well. But thank you. I will take you up on on the connections. I'll try to connect.
Speaker 2: Sounds good, sounds good. Well. Thank you doctor Pierce for for joining us tonight. I really appreciate you talking about your journey, talking about the things that Riverleief Media is doing, and we wish you the best of luck and uh, you know, maybe we'll follow up sometime in the future if you find out what what you're up to.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you all right, thanks a lot, Take care you too,