Speaker 1: Resenting Orson Wells as the Third Man. The lives of Harry Lyon, the fabulous stories of the immortal character originally created in the motion picture The Third Man with Zipper music by Anton kras.
Speaker 2: That was a shot that killed Harry Lyon. He died in a seward beneath Sienna. And those of you know who saw the movie The Third Man, Yes, that was the end of Harryline, but it was not the beginning. Harryline had many lives, and I can recount all of them.
Speaker 3: How do I know?
Speaker 4: Very simple, because my name is Harry Lyin.
Speaker 2: Say what you will about Harry Line, He at least was honest in his desire for money and the good things of life. Harry believed in seeing the world at other people's expense. Sometimes the cross fround high, as high as a man's life. Let me tell you about it.
Speaker 5: I know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: And now Orson Wells as Harry Lyon, the Third Man in Play Pigeon.
Speaker 2: In nineteen forty two, my fortune's being for the moment at Ebb Tide, it pleased me to return to America, to New York, specifically because I heard that an old and important enemy of mine is in difficulties wish to see me. I went to the hotel where he was staying, supposedly incognito, and made myself avail at the bar, and nothing happens quite a bard, but on kinds of looking serious, So I ordered another drink and.
Speaker 6: Then mister Harry Lyte, Uh, yes, yes, indeed, I'm sorry to bob you father.
Speaker 2: For all bothers and things, whereas attractively package i'd granted be the most burden in this mess?
Speaker 4: Won't you join me?
Speaker 7: I didn't come here for that reason, mister Line.
Speaker 2: I know it's a friendly gesture, and I have an't We're going to see a lot of each other now since you know my name, haven't.
Speaker 4: You done me yours? That's not important as a matter of opinion.
Speaker 7: Will you please come with me?
Speaker 4: I say, I isn't that aproach a little bold? After all? And establishment like this frown is unsuch.
Speaker 7: Mister Line, come with me. You the only one who can save him, the save anybody.
Speaker 4: You've come to the wrong airry line man.
Speaker 7: Please you must even oh you hate.
Speaker 2: It ham Now you're interest me? Now, just which antagonist do you mean? I've got an awful lot of enemies.
Speaker 7: You're wasting time. He'll he'll play you a great deal of money. Only you can name your own price.
Speaker 2: The price if my hatred comes pretty high. But for money and hate, lyme goes anywhere. Lovely lady read on comfortable business would be made as pain, as as possibleness, girl as a pleasure. A dark Irish type with eyes the mood and color of the restless channel waters, and hair as blue black as the proverbial raven's wing. Began to enjoy myself. My waiting game is gonna pay off through an old enemy. It was a fine evening for cold mischief. I took the oleovator in silence. Walking down the corner of the suite of my enemy, I studied my young guide. She caught my glass, her color mounted. I smiled, We're almost there, I say, are you bringing me on a wild goose chase?
Speaker 6: If it is, then it's a goose that lays the golden eggs the.
Speaker 7: Line, and this is it.
Speaker 4: You don't approve of me?
Speaker 8: Do you follow me? Please?
Speaker 4: I'd love to.
Speaker 2: Just like the rest of the public, you're always clamoring for high ideals of air plane.
Speaker 4: I was the first to indict without a hearing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I found him, sir, for the country, I found you.
Speaker 4: He I all mean the honorable James Hadley, I believe.
Speaker 8: Aren't you surprised to see me lying?
Speaker 2: Not particular this morning when the wind from the East River brought with the usual aromas tale Greece, ancient garbage and seward guests, an idea I might run in the Governor had liver ifore the day was out. Aren't you in the wrong state? Still the same old are insulting night me? You're the man I'm supposed to help.
Speaker 8: It's not my choice.
Speaker 2: Believe me that, I do believe, Governor, the dislike is mutual. While Governor, it's nice leaving you.
Speaker 8: I'm offering you fifteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 7: I had better leave. Governor.
Speaker 9: No, you're responsible for bringing him here, Laura, perhaps my only hope of.
Speaker 2: Keeping him here here quite wrong, sir, fifteen thousand reasons holding me here that I'm being How long I remain depends on you talk.
Speaker 9: I know how you hate me. I also know your capabilities.
Speaker 8: I'm you're the.
Speaker 1: Only man who accomplish the job by having in mind.
Speaker 8: I've already told you what I'd paid. I'm I'm begging you.
Speaker 9: To help me.
Speaker 2: That's good, you begging me for help, all right? Sing you a sad song, hadly, old man about the beast you must feed you? No, don't I always know, Governor, knowing who was after your official scalp, I realized you to undoubtedly come to me for help. He was one poison as they had to do for another, and made myself available.
Speaker 4: You found me.
Speaker 7: You mean you knew it all the time, even downstairs.
Speaker 2: You knew in general, Deonora, though I neither knew the sordid details nor the price to be paid for my services.
Speaker 7: Show him the pictures, yes, all right here on the brief kise.
Speaker 3: Thank you, h.
Speaker 8: O.
Speaker 4: Governor. I didn't think it even of.
Speaker 2: You who you've seen, or even lyme believes the man in those cursive pictures as we it's very interesting.
Speaker 8: Who's the lady?
Speaker 10: How should I know?
Speaker 11: How?
Speaker 2: Come on, our governor, official manners, or in this case even unofficial manners, the man that you at least know the name of your female or companion. As an American etiquette deteriorated at the point that you summoned such creatures with a hey, you miss the limel.
Speaker 6: Have you know that Governor Hadley is not the man in those.
Speaker 2: Pictures, and good little girl should never never tell lies, nor hang it all.
Speaker 8: She's telling the proof line. I never frequent such club as those pictures show. I'm here, Yeah, look at this one. Have you recognized on you covered?
Speaker 2: The yes, Cato Cato, the Robert Baron Mara's instincts, but not always his performance.
Speaker 4: He's a bit clumsy.
Speaker 8: Who wish Kate Gambler award heater.
Speaker 2: Graft such dear nostalgic words you almost make me home, said Governor.
Speaker 4: Would be sensible line.
Speaker 9: Can you imagine me in such company at any time, particularly with an election coming.
Speaker 8: Up next morning?
Speaker 2: Unless you're even more scupid? You used to be James, but then everything is possible.
Speaker 7: Really missed the line this is in?
Speaker 4: But cameras don't lie.
Speaker 8: You above anyone else should know better than that line.
Speaker 2: How many times have you faked the picture to gain your own intrusha governor? But then I always do things the hard way.
Speaker 4: You told Norah that yourself.
Speaker 8: You're hard to be your victims.
Speaker 3: Oh, but this isn't getting us any place, no.
Speaker 9: Matter what else you may choose to think of me, lyme, you know my term in office has been.
Speaker 2: Clean in so far as prove is concerned the incorruptible Governor had However.
Speaker 4: These pictures prove extremely embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Or Man, the untouchable Hadley seems to have been taken me.
Speaker 6: I don't know much about you missed the line, except that you hate Governor Hadley. Now he's asking for your help, no matter what happened in the past between you.
Speaker 8: Please help me.
Speaker 7: He's willing to pay. He said your hated came high. Wasn't this offer high enough for Nora?
Speaker 4: That's quite all right, Governor.
Speaker 2: I admire honestying, loyal, even though I don't approve of it. Of believing, Come here, Noura, what came and should stand right before me? Rang into my eyes straight my eyes answer your question.
Speaker 6: Well, mister lymewody is if I were the governor and you and my secretary, would you be as honest as loyal?
Speaker 7: As honest? Yes, as loyal.
Speaker 2: I see why the great concern about these pictures and is sure that your indiscretions are.
Speaker 4: That importance you are going to help me. I'm considering it.
Speaker 8: Then you know those pictures are important to him. Cato's going to use them. To ruin me. Why he wants control of my state, either his crooked syndicate moves in or he sends these pictures to every newspaper in the state.
Speaker 3: On the evil the election.
Speaker 4: Through miss Cato's improved he is. It's almost worthy me.
Speaker 9: I never expected you to understand lam, but I thought the fee might make it worth you a while.
Speaker 8: Reelection means a great deal to me.
Speaker 4: I worked hard for my office.
Speaker 9: I don't want to win or lose because of a hoodlum like Cato. And I don't want my wife, my family subjugated to this kind of smear campaign.
Speaker 2: They don't be spoken like a true family man, an American and a politician.
Speaker 7: Governor have it.
Speaker 6: It must be some other way to get the negatives, and this man.
Speaker 2: Please Elaine the fairy lay in the love of Elaine, the really made of astillat iron hard chamber.
Speaker 4: Uncle Tala to the east guarded the secretie.
Speaker 2: And I'll get the negatives and the rest of these pictures in Cato for fifteen thousand, oh thank and dismissal of all charges against me and your state. Old man, What the price is chief Governor, for your career, your family?
Speaker 7: What Governor you can't trust them.
Speaker 9: Old Norah, very well, lie, you'll get me those negatives and you'll receive your.
Speaker 3: Money and full pardon.
Speaker 4: I take the money now.
Speaker 8: I expected that they am Norah?
Speaker 7: How do you know you can trust him?
Speaker 8: He's the only man I know who can outwit Kato. I've got to trust him.
Speaker 4: My fee, Miss Peyton, here it is.
Speaker 7: You'd better count it, mister.
Speaker 4: But why I trust you?
Speaker 8: Oh? Just how do you plan to contact Kato?
Speaker 2: That's easy enough. He's a fine man like Kato. The hard part he's avoiding him. You should know that very well, Governor.
Speaker 3: So what is my next move?
Speaker 2: Right back to your nice snut capital returned your Ivory tower handling carry on business as usual?
Speaker 3: Very well? Might as well start packing, Nora? Will you we leave it once? Yes? No?
Speaker 4: What Norah stays with me?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 8: No? Listen?
Speaker 4: Hat doesn't know if I sight does he?
Speaker 8: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: He contacted me away from his office and should be on go Virgin You still pack, Naa? I want you to register another hotel a plas only took the cortail around to three hours.
Speaker 8: Just Whatura, I.
Speaker 3: I'd appreciated it.
Speaker 8: You would co operate with mister lym in whatever way you can.
Speaker 7: Well, nah, very well, Governor, I'll do my desk.
Speaker 3: So you understand, Laura, we must trust mister.
Speaker 4: Well who wants to talk to haw kto let me in come in the well? Well, what have you found out?
Speaker 8: Is he?
Speaker 12: I am tailing Governor heady like you want ever since he sneaked into town.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Come to the point w is staying.
Speaker 12: Away from the point the Governor is making contacts with every main whood in New York that nobody wants to go against Kato. Only Hadby must be finding someone who will go against you because.
Speaker 8: He needs the hotel.
Speaker 12: Three hours ago leaves checks out, is taking a powder.
Speaker 4: But before that, he sends.
Speaker 3: His girl down to the bar.
Speaker 4: Girl what girl? Who knows her name?
Speaker 2: But who this girl talks to down at the bar. You'll never guess, I'll give I'm not playing get some games, all right, all right, Kato, So don't get sor at me. I'm trying to tell you all the time. She meets a Harry Lyone. I hear her say the name Harry Line. This is not good news.
Speaker 8: Harry Line is the only guy, but the only guy who can.
Speaker 2: Lost me up. He would have to come to New York. Come on, come on, where's a pleasure?
Speaker 10: Get jerk?
Speaker 2: If the lines to come into this game, he's gonna be on my side, alive and dead.
Speaker 4: Still line never dare I hope you'll be this eager to see me.
Speaker 8: It's Kata over the bottle, have a drink.
Speaker 7: What are you gonna do about kit careful?
Speaker 4: Comes away there?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's really health.
Speaker 7: I want you nothing anything.
Speaker 2: That was a pretty wide choice. Waiter sconch and water to stretch and I want you to smile. Relax, that's very carefully to what I have to say.
Speaker 7: I'm trying.
Speaker 2: Glad you blessed me once before I die. What you'll smile the first time I've seen is it's radiance is breathtaking. Please, I think you may once known as when you're going to the powder room, don't to try go to your room.
Speaker 4: And stay there. I don't understand mister Kater.
Speaker 2: Was preparing to beard me in his den, and I want you around running. It's coming as well. I'm corded by morning. Get back to the Capitol. Fast about you?
Speaker 4: Why no, I never dreamed you care?
Speaker 8: Oh well you're stretching. F you are thank you.
Speaker 4: Drinking a lone line that continued to what bad habit Troubi's catero in the fresh it is fresh?
Speaker 2: Is this old boy the same old Harry about buying me the next bound?
Speaker 4: Harry at my place where I troubs? Old man? Are you thinking of taking me for a rye? Why I came for anything?
Speaker 11: Shall we go?
Speaker 4: Orson Wells returns.
Speaker 1: In just a moment, there's the third man, Orson Welles as the third man continues with play pigeon.
Speaker 4: That sounds funny.
Speaker 10: That's the true.
Speaker 2: I was being taken for a ride, a long one, a silent one. Once we got maccart Trubis stopped talking. You know, I was not in the mood to make any conversation. I had my tiger by the table. I waited for his move, waiting, mccarzy, this is gonna take long, Hey boss, I am.
Speaker 4: Waiting after a nocterneral tour.
Speaker 2: You bringing to a ruin like this, really, cater I First, you're doing pretty well.
Speaker 4: I'm doing fine, Harry.
Speaker 2: Place on the state line, not too far from the capitol, makes it handy for you and the governor who waiting.
Speaker 3: To see tumas well.
Speaker 8: This is a surprise Handley. Who is this?
Speaker 2: The face is Jim Handley and the voice is almost identical inside. Look, come on, Harry, and I'll buy you that drink.
Speaker 4: I promised.
Speaker 8: Drinks some house.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, huh, I could use one.
Speaker 3: Sit down, Harry.
Speaker 8: I didn't think i'd see you so soon again, Troops, what happened is shut up.
Speaker 4: For the drinks? Oh in sure, sure, Trush.
Speaker 2: Now, Harry, I'm open for business, all right? To risk the obvious. This isn't the governor Handy?
Speaker 8: Hey, you're better.
Speaker 2: The Happy Boys were identical twins. Look here was the black sheep of the family. Also was supposed to have died in a train wreck fifteen years ago.
Speaker 4: Identical twins. The oldest picture in the world.
Speaker 2: Luke was the man in those pictures. So simple it always works. Even fool you, Harry.
Speaker 4: Oh, I can be fool, be fool.
Speaker 2: Luke's living jealousy and whiskey ever since he's seen the accident. He crossed my past several years ago, just as I was figuring how to move into jim happy state.
Speaker 4: He was an answer from heaven or the devil. That's all I had luck.
Speaker 2: I can give you a fat fee, Harry, and I find you has to pay off your own grudge against the governor.
Speaker 4: Since when is benevolence become one of your characteristics?
Speaker 3: Kater? What about this that you only page?
Speaker 4: As you know, I've already made the first contact of the governor. Do you know?
Speaker 2: I know takes one to catch one, Harry. As I said, I got Jim over the battle. I know we sup bought you to get the pictures from me. But if you come into my deal, you not only make yourself some money, like you can put the final squeeze on.
Speaker 10: The good government.
Speaker 2: But I think you set me up as a clay page, and I oh man sending me to make the actual transactions so you can move your sand to get into the state.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm caught with my blackmail down. No, Harry, you know I wouldn't do that. Coin a cliche about thieves, Cater.
Speaker 2: I know how much is the governor paying to get these negative fifteen thousand?
Speaker 4: I had a four parton fifteen thousand?
Speaker 8: Why truebish, you only gave me five hundred dollars to pose in those times.
Speaker 4: I'll give you twenty five thousand to come in with me.
Speaker 2: I only five in advance half of it the rest when the dealer is clanchedestion here truebish.
Speaker 3: If you're sure quick money around, so.
Speaker 2: On my way, and I will need a percentage of my gross to take when I'm in the state.
Speaker 4: It'll be like an annuity.
Speaker 1: You listen to me, crewis you cut me in on this big dear you're talking about?
Speaker 4: If you don't, I'll go to your what Luke.
Speaker 3: Nothing to it. I didn't mean that. I was always trying to Oh, what are you going to do? Truers, I.
Speaker 4: Take us rap and let us working out.
Speaker 3: He talks too much. No, I pollish not to talk.
Speaker 11: You need me, I'll never God, No, no.
Speaker 4: Well, what's your ant, sayer, Harry? Do all of your business partners get that treatment?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 2: Man, No, of course not. He's always asking bread. But now ask, for instance, why we're clean up in happy state. Slop machines, numbers, racket, dope protection. And that's just the beginning, Harry. Keep us five years and we'll be making money from every man. Woman are challenging United States from there to you, Jee Stalin as an amateur, I don't think I'll settle for a their percentage. Cato, No either, I was going to be fifty to fifty or I won't come over and slide down your cellar door. Fifty to fifty Yu, do you think you'll get away with me? A certain if not because the young lady was with me at the.
Speaker 4: Plaza, but about his Hadley's secretary.
Speaker 2: I spent a great deal of time and effort on getting a complete file of your misdemeanors, Cato. If I failed, a contractor copies of said file and immediately be sent to all state and federal law enforcement offices. You have pitiful ten times will be forgotten in the headlines about Troubius Cato. You wouldn't want to be named public Enemy number one.
Speaker 4: Fifty to fifty eighties.
Speaker 3: Nor good help girl, what happened?
Speaker 7: Harry?
Speaker 8: Lyme?
Speaker 7: He's with Kato now? At least he top with him last night. By this time he might be dead.
Speaker 3: Good Why don't.
Speaker 7: You call the police the FBI? You're the governor to something.
Speaker 8: You too, Laura? What do you mean? The notorious lime charm?
Speaker 9: The man's brutal, marciless, vindictive, lives only for himself.
Speaker 8: Yet when he wishes, he can hide all this with a choke of magnetism.
Speaker 3: Great fascination. He's blinded you Norah.
Speaker 8: No, I hate. He's a horrible man.
Speaker 7: I oh, I don't know what he is.
Speaker 6: It's been terrible, all of it, seeing Kato waiting all night for Harry's call, not hear in coming.
Speaker 3: I know, my dear, believe me. I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: Yes, mister Harry Lane him you do here some of them in vise.
Speaker 7: What can it mean?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Handley, Laurah, mister Lyon, and who is Kato?
Speaker 4: Surely you haven't forgotten me, Governor Kato. I told you once and for all. Be too hasty, mister Governor.
Speaker 2: My proposition is said, good that mister Lyon is coming on the deal with me.
Speaker 8: What would you agree to? Lion?
Speaker 3: Is this this Doug telling the truth?
Speaker 2: I bought certain contracts for your signature, Governor. They're allarmis to Cato, four scale operations in your state.
Speaker 7: Oh no, you wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I don't believe it, not even you.
Speaker 2: The price of the negatives, Governor, Oh, you'd better give me those negatives now, Kato prove our good face to Governor Hadley.
Speaker 8: What good faith? Oh?
Speaker 3: But here you are, Harry. The negatives and the rest of the pictures.
Speaker 2: All nicely tied with a pretty ribbon, Governor. A ribbon is blue as Norah's eyes.
Speaker 7: How small can you get now?
Speaker 2: When you signed mister Canado's contracts, Governor, I'll delivered.
Speaker 4: The negatives to mistake me.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 4: Just sign on the dotted line, Hadley, and everybody you'll be happy.
Speaker 3: Should out because I trusted a rat.
Speaker 4: Here's your pen, Governor, and here back on, get all the way live.
Speaker 8: What what are you doing? Down on the floor, Governor, down on the floor.
Speaker 3: Done you crossing me?
Speaker 8: Old of Cato? It's my dear.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I suggest you call an ambulance, young lady, there's been an attempt.
Speaker 8: On Governor had his life. Goodness, and keep those people.
Speaker 4: Out of here for a minute.
Speaker 8: How could I ever.
Speaker 3: Thank you life?
Speaker 7: Heished your life, Harry.
Speaker 8: All the time we.
Speaker 4: Say that, say that I had to care cater.
Speaker 2: To take over his very lucrative business myself.
Speaker 4: I'll keep these negatives, Governor.
Speaker 2: What no, Harry, No, this is one time, Governor Hadley, when you are not getting off so easily. These incriminating negatives, in my position, like the sword of Damocles, will be suspended of your uneasy head from now on call them with Harry Lyons, a Newersy governor. And now, if you will excuse me.
Speaker 14: I am might to expected this, and I was beginning to think you were a human being.
Speaker 2: At the time I left the Capitol building, the stars were out the stars. I was reached by hard ways I searched for, like the alley alle that was dark enough, lonely enough. Yeah, mm hmm, that's gonna do well better than over the ribbon, blue blue ribbon, better to burn.
Speaker 7: Ah.
Speaker 2: Another voyage of the night, greeting's cat mutually, I'm closely.
Speaker 4: Seems you're blade.
Speaker 2: That's the negatives. My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. That are my friends and all my prothes. It's a lovely life. Oh, thank your friends for applause is deeply efficiating. I'm gonna have the pictures.
Speaker 8: That one new cat.
Speaker 11: You're there.
Speaker 4: I want you think you're going in this.
Speaker 2: Alley isn't very obvious, Officer. I'm making a fire, Hi, you know, burning some love letters. Girl named Norah, Huh, what's a good Irish name?
Speaker 4: She had the bluest eyes this side of present and the ashes to you, Officer.
Speaker 8: By thanks for.
Speaker 3: Harry Lime, so long.
Speaker 4: Harry Lime returns in just a moment.
Speaker 10: Mm hmm, and now very lyon.
Speaker 11: Good ride.
Speaker 8: For now.
Speaker 2: I remember what Ben Franklin said about honesty being the best policy. I wish I could just keep slipping my mind.
Speaker 8: And it's.
Speaker 15: In press, its.
Speaker 13: Pass and in.
Speaker 15: Its intent its you've set an attentatative found there