Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 2: Nature Kelly Mark talks about potificates about pop culture, Ron and Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 3: It's Later with Mo Kelly on KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeart App. I am Mark Ronner. It's the Runner Report. We're gonna talk about Mickey seventeen opening this weekend. You know, there's a nineteen sixty five movie with Warren Batty called Mickey One. Oh crap, did I miss Mickey's two through sixteen? Catching up on those would be about as tedious as catching up on The Fast and Furious or Transformer movies. Twala, But I checked IMDb and I'm in luck I didn't have to catch up on fifteen Mickeys that I missed. In Mickey One, Warren Batty plays a guy who goes on the run from mobsters and hides in another city. In Mickey seventeen, Robert Pattinson plays a guy on the run from mobsters and hides on a big spaceship. See completely different, glad. I checked. Here's the trailer, and we're gonna listen to a little more than usual because there's a lot of exposition in this one.
Speaker 2: Hi, Nicky, are you experiencing a new versigo?
Speaker 4: I guess I am Robert Patinson in space. Oh wow, did you see that? And a meteorite takes off his hand and his toes.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised if you're thinking at this point, what have I done?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 3: Nothing was working out and I wanted to get off of EIRs.
Speaker 4: You're planning to be inexpendable. Yeah, you read through the whole application.
Speaker 1: Once you die, would print a new version of your body.
Speaker 4: I should have read through it.
Speaker 3: They made me work my ass off on one mission after another.
Speaker 5: Every time you die, we learned something new that humanity move school.
Speaker 2: Would Yeah, he's a light fish. Fine, fine, fine, biggie.
Speaker 5: It's not looking very good for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'm sure you're used to it by now, But what's.
Speaker 5: It if you like to die?
Speaker 3: Even on my seventeenth go around, I hate dying. He just saw a duplicate of himself. That's how we'd all react.
Speaker 2: In the case of multiples, we exterminate every individual permanent deletion.
Speaker 1: Not for me, let's blow up the second hand blooney voice.
Speaker 5: Well, don't you guys do rough papers and then we'll just shoot the wizard.
Speaker 4: We had to at least let the song play.
Speaker 3: Mickey seventeen is from South Korean filmmaker Bong June Hoe. The director of Parasite, which everyone loved, cleaned up at the Oscars in twenty twenty, and this is his first movie since then. It's a science fiction satire with abundant commentary on class, politics, religion, and how we treat everyone and everything that's not exactly like us, and Mickey shows he signs onto a space voyage as a low class expendable, which you heard in the trailer. Since we ended the draft in the US, the military has been known as our employer of last resort. But Mickey's got it even rougher. He does all the lousy jobs that get him killed, and then a new body's printed for him, and his store memories are put into the new body, and by the time we get to the seventeenth one, things start going haywire on a big space colonization mission. Now, I got to admit a couple of things up front. I despise time loop movies or anything similar, any kind of groundhog Day or clone stuff about the only tolerable one that I can even think of is the tom Cruise one called Edge of Tomorrow from about ten years ago, and even that's borderline. Also not a huge r pat groupie. Not into the sparkly vampires. I like the Batman movie was in, but not him as Batman so much. That said, if you wonder whether Pattinson can do more than sulk, he did a movie with the Safty Brothers called Good Time You Can Catch and I think I'm the only living defender of him in David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis, possibly also the only person to have seen Cosmopolis here as Mickey. As you heard in the trailer, he's taken on this irritating, cartoonish ratso rizzo type of voice that nearly wrecks the movie.
Speaker 4: Honestly.
Speaker 3: Other performances are so broad and cartoonish that they kind of pull you out of things, particularly Mark Ruffalo as the ship cult leader and commander and boss and rich guy. And Tony Kalette is his wife who's obsessed with making sauces out of everything. I mean, who isn't though we all like a good sauce, am I right? Mo? Although yes, you love you would you would cut a bee for some sauce. All that said, Mickey seventeen is an odd, great looking movie that doesn't quite give you what you expect from the trailer and comes from an actual artist who you know is going to bring a little extra to the table. In tone, it reminded me a bit of his snow Piercer movie from a few years back. But that's actually been eleven years since that movie came out, and I haven't divided eleven years by fifths of vodka. But let's just say I don't remember that as well as I'd like the movie. This movie, Mickey seventeen, is two hours and seventeen minutes, and the way it's paced, you can feel it. It can drag, But I think sometimes that's a trade off you make when you're getting something that isn't just a product or content from an original like Bong June Ho. I would turn those Doge Butcher's loose cutting this one. I mean, would you tell Kubrick he could stand a kind of minute or two out of Barry Linden. No, For the most part, movies about Clones, Blade Runner, Replicants and the like, those are commentaries about who counts as a full human being, and who doesn't doesn't take a code breaking genius to apply that kind of sci fi to our lives right now, whether we're talking about immigrants, homeless, trans people, anyone non white, or whoever happens to be the punching down target doujour. I don't think Bong June Hose strikes out much bold new territory with Mickey, But the inhabitants of the alien planet are pretty fun. They're like Tarti grades acrossed with buffaloes as well as a giant set of knuckles. The movie's a mixed bag, but it's got more to like than dislike, and I'll put up with more for a movie that isn't just more of the same assembly line save the cat formula garbage. But if there were two of me sitting there, one of us might have dozed off in a couple spots before we went off afterward and looked for someone for a three way. And yes, that come up in the movie. That does come up in the movie, so to speak. Weirdly, if there were two of most sitting here, they'd still get the same number of rim shots. And I'm gonna leave that to science to explain. That's your runner report, Moe, what do you think of that?
Speaker 5: Well, first, I'm going to say that I fully disagree with you about time loop movies. I actually happen to like time loop movies. And I was getting ready to interrupt you. But did you saved yourself when you said Edge of Tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They changed the title of it because I think that title lived. I repeat, yeah, it sounded like a soap opera, didn't it. Well, I actually hope they do a sequel to that movie on sub level.
Speaker 4: Or like Johnny Carson's Edge of Wetness? Do you remember that? Vaguely? Vaguely it was the fake Sopra on his show.
Speaker 3: I was I wasn't always one hundred percent into this, but there's enough good that it outweighs the bad, and I think it's well worth your time seeing.
Speaker 5: Well worth Well, okay, that's high praise.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, nothing's perfect. I mean, look at phush. Oh gosh, that.
Speaker 5: Was uncalled for a You got to give him a rum shot for insulting you like that.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that would be the humble thing of him to do that, would that would show goodness? There we go? Have you seen any of Bong's other movies. No, I've actually not seen Parasite yet. Oh I have not. Oh, you got to see Parasite, and I think it's because it was the pandemic or something. I just wasn't into it at that time. Something like that.
Speaker 4: Now, what's that one on the train that I mentioned?
Speaker 3: Snow Piercer, snow pier I've seen snow piercerner post, I've seen snow Piercer. I like that one. Yeah, I keep getting him mixed up. And you as a lifelong martial artist like me. No, Master Bong su Hang, thank you for that. I think the same thing, same thing. There.
Speaker 4: We are MO back to you. Kf I AM six forty.
Speaker 5: We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from kf I AM six forty