Speaker 1: But it's something about this joy right here, this joy right here, it makes me want to go. Can let this thing called not get away?
Speaker 2: Girl? You'll free ride my battle watch wall?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Can then nobody take it away?
Speaker 3: M J B. No to.
Speaker 4: Are you getting no teping naggi a bus because it's been a long week.
Speaker 1: I putting my heart is gonna let together the one I'm want to see you and I'm walking custom from.
Speaker 2: New York City to the world.
Speaker 5: A Cincinnati fan favorite for many years at the Cincinnati Music Festival, It's like they just reserve a room for her, seemingly every year.
Speaker 2: The one and only Mary J.
Speaker 5: Blige, the Queen of hip Hop's souls, celebrating her field fifty fourth birthday on this January eleventh.
Speaker 2: We got some other things going on too.
Speaker 5: Before we look at and look back at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these. Eighteen sixty one, Alabama becomes the fourth state to declare its secession from the Union. The dominoes have begun to fall very rapidly. Flash forward to January eleventh, nineteen oh eight, nineteen o eight, when then President Theodore Roosevelt. Roosevelt leverages the Antiquities Act of a couple of years before to proclaim the Grand Canyon and as a National monument. It become a National Park eleven years later this date. In nineteen sixty four, the US Surgeon General Luther Terry issued Smoking in Health, the report that concluded that cigarette smoking contributes substantially to mortality from certain specific diseases and to the overall death rate. The warnings have gotten even more over the years from ensuing Surgeon generals, and of course today we know, according to the Surgeon General and everybody else in the last week or two, that alcohol, even just to drop, will kill you. Two thousand and two, on this day, the first Al Cata prisoners from Afghanistan arrived at Guantanamo Bay. Twenty ten, Mark McGuire admitted to the AP that he'd used st steroids and human growth hormones when he broke baseball's home run record back in nineteen ninety eight. Well know, duh. A lot of the kids were doing it, and it was all encouraged by Major League Baseball, and then they threw the players under the bus. It was just four years ago today that House Democrats introduced articles of impeachment against then President Donald Trump, who was president for nine more days, charging in with incitement of insurrection in the wake of the protest on the US Capitol Building five days before. Funny, none of those people arrested for January sixth charged or arrested for insurrection. Donald Trump never charged with insurrection, and yet Golf Hall of Famer Ben Crenshaw turned seventy two today. Jazz guitarist Lee written hour and I will have Liam dig up some Lee written hour later on this morning, incredible player. He's seventy three today. Olympic swimming gold medalist Tracy Hawkins believe it or Not, is sixty two. Filmmaker Malcolm D. Lee fifty five, mentioned Mary Jay, and actor Aman de Pete is the Big five to three. If it is your birthday, I hope it is the best birthday you could possibly imagine and you get to spend it with the people you love, doing the things you love to do. And that's truly my wish for you. Happy birthday. January eleventh also the anniversary of my parents' wedding. They are celebrating separately this weekend. My father, eighty eight, is in a hospital rehab there in Middle Tennessee. Mom is at home snowed in, but today they are married sixty seven years. Congratulations Mom and Pop. Obviously without them, I wouldn't be here. But more to the point, sixty seven years. You do anything for sixty seven years, and you have found some magic formula. You have exceeded most people's expectations for anything, for the duration of anything. Very few people have the stamina to work at a job for sixty seven years. Well, marriage, successful marriage is, if it's right, the best job you'll ever have. And my parents continue to teach me that, and I am blessed by God for that reason. Five point one seven hundred WL. But that cloudy today gradually becoming more suddenly sunny as the day goes on high around thirty this afternoon. We'll get down to twelve tomorrow morning, and then partly sunshine on Sunday for the balance of the day. Him year thirty four, we cloud up against Sunday night, partly Sunday Monday in the high round twenty nine so above freezing, just long enough to do some melting so we can have re icing. Isn't that fun? It's twenty six right now?
Speaker 6: Seven one hundred WLW sport.
Speaker 5: So we finally know who Notre Dame will be playing in the National Championship Game on January twentieth.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Ohio State Notre Dame will face off in Atlanta, Georgia on January twentieth, thanks to a twenty eight and fourteen Ohio State win over Texas. Texas had the ball at the one yard line with the chances hide the game up with under three minutes left in the ballgame, but Ohio State and their defense bowed up and Jack Sawyer stripped his former roommate Quinn Ewers for an eighty three yard touchdown. College Bascos the NFL slate today playoffs began for Wildcard weekend. The first game is between the Chargers and Texans in Houston, and then the Ravens and Steelers in an AFC North wild Card matchup at night and tomorrow the Bills hosts the Broncos and the Eagles host the Packers. The game Monday Night between the Rams and the Vikings was moved from Los Angeles to the Wildfires to Glendale Stadium in Arizona, home of the Cardinals. Some college basketball Tonight, u See hosts Kansas and the pursuit of their first Big twelve win of the season. Pregame cover begins at one thirty tip A set for two. Catch all that action right here on seven hundred WL. Do they have not looked impressive in their Big twelve?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have not.
Speaker 7: Been able to really capitalize on the opportunity to give it to them. I mean, they went down nineteen against Arizona, they come all the way back, cut it to two, and they just couldn't finish it. But you can't take yourselves into whole like that, especially in conference play. But the Baylor game was just Yeah, on the road in conference play is always hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So Kansas is no test at all.
Speaker 7: Xavier travels to DePaul this evening. Pregame coverage begins at three thirty, tip A set for four. Listen to Byron and Joe on fifty five KRC the sixth ranth Kentucky Wildcaiy travel to Starkfield to face the fourteenth RNGTH Mississippi State.
Speaker 2: That tip is set for eight.
Speaker 7: You can listen to that game on ESPN of fifteen thirty and NKU host Oakland, looking to bounce back from their loss to Youngstown State pregame coverage begins at five thirty tip a set for six on Fox Sports thirteen sixty seventy five days until Red's opening day.
Speaker 2: News Radio seven hundred WLW. What's up, Everybody? I named Verk here to type of a new podcast.
Speaker 8: It's NHL unscripted with Birkin Devers Jason Emmers here and after playing seven hundred NHL games, I got a lot of dirty laundry to air out.
Speaker 2: Each people get together a chat with the sport that we love. But we're not just gonna be talking hockey, folks.
Speaker 8: We're talking movies, We're talking TV food and Dad's favorite wrestling.
Speaker 2: It's all on let tableau.
Speaker 9: Listen to NHL inscripted with Burke and Demurz in America's number.
Speaker 2: One podcast network.
Speaker 9: iHeart open your free iHeart app and search NHL in scripted with Burke and Demurz and start listing.
Speaker 10: Excuse me, I know you have a nine o'clock so I'll keep this short. I'm the business suit in the back of your closet. You wore me nearly every day before your office went quote casual. I used to be the CEO of your closet. Now I'm just that one intern no one ever talks to. I always thought you'd circle back with me, get granular, keep me in the pipeline. But nada, nothing. Don't you remember the McKittrick presentation. You spilled coffee on me and I still looked amazing during the breakout talk back, Q and A. So I think it's time for me to move on. I've got a great resume and I absolutely crush it in interviews. Okay, let's make this a clean break shift the paradigm. The only thing I ask is that you think outside the box here and do this. Take me to Goodwill where I can really make a difference.
Speaker 6: Your donations to Goodwill create new jobs, training programs, and education assistance for people in your community. To find your nearest donation center, go to Goodwill dot org. Donate stuff, create jobs. A message from Goodwill and the ad Council.
Speaker 2: A shout out and out.
Speaker 5: I think they should remain nameless because they were at work listening, and they're not supposed to be listening while they're at work.
Speaker 2: Come on paper, what up? Five point seven?
Speaker 5: On a Saturday morning, January eleventh, Tis and Mame Tree has been patiently waiting on the line.
Speaker 2: Good morning tree, wann't you come.
Speaker 11: And go with me?
Speaker 12: Ooho about how.
Speaker 13: To mother?
Speaker 14: Ho a cry.
Speaker 15: Oh oo.
Speaker 10: A no, tuma athers.
Speaker 3: Want to come and go with me?
Speaker 12: Tumor ou Thether's house wherever?
Speaker 1: Joy Joy Joy.
Speaker 12: Amen, I got the boom county cough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I noticed that a little bit. But are you still sound good? Needed there is good?
Speaker 5: You just seemed like you were having a little bit of trouble, just maintaining a consistent.
Speaker 2: Vibe there. Yeah, yeah, So what else is going on?
Speaker 12: This lady taught us that song in Sunday school. We would laugh and she'd make us sing it that way about eighty years ago. It was funny to us because she said, coma go.
Speaker 3: With the me.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, it's an interpretation of a spiritual moment in song.
Speaker 12: It's a light great missus. Clara Ross Brown and her sister maybe Carol Brown. Yeah, Carol.
Speaker 2: So the Brown sisters were something else?
Speaker 12: Huh, Well, they were the Carol's sisters. One married mister Clifton Roth. This is black kissy. He looked like a white man. He couldn't get no job. You know that our jobbling days in the third ninth thirteen. Yeah, and he put a black face on. He'd go everywhere where white people go and eat because they didn't know. They thought he was a white man with a black baby. And he's a white colored man.
Speaker 16: Okay, but now I got them.
Speaker 17: Uh uh.
Speaker 12: He caught red ribbon or blue rim first prize from my old newspapers at our bicentennial fifty one years ago.
Speaker 2: What did what? Did you win a blue ribbon for mimitry.
Speaker 12: Those old papers? A mister Clifton Ross doing black face and it was from Warsaw, Kentucky. And they thought he was a white man with a black baby. He was a white man with a white face, but he had to work as a black face to get the job.
Speaker 18: The world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, kind of like Jimmy Kimmel who had to wear a black face to get a.
Speaker 17: Oh he does.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I've ever seen TV for thirty two years. I don't know what people look like on TV.
Speaker 5: Well, you're not missing anything, Mama Tree. It's always good to talk to you. How's your jaw doing?
Speaker 12: It's better, But the bone is infected now what it's done? Two holes one on each other. They're around like tea. I wonder why they come. That's the jaw bouncing around like wavy too.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 12: They had to pull them up like pulling tea. Well, it was three major surgerys and the Hour of Elijah. I lived through and I didn't cry. Didn't snak me for not slapping me, because deer those bones cracking and popping and pulling them out.
Speaker 2: We'll get to work on your song for next week, all right, it.
Speaker 12: Won't help it. It's you, my bone, hotel air.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, all right, baby, love you bye. Dick from Dayton is hanging on the line. We'll talk to him next. Do you want to literally hit that Dick from Dayton? Good morning Dick, Good morning Jeff.
Speaker 17: How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm fine, but I've discovered something that, uh, kind of disturbed, kind of disturbs me a little bit.
Speaker 17: What's that?
Speaker 5: My producer Liam has become a bully. Oh no, yeah, I mean, you know, trying to steal my lunch money and knocking me around because I'm smaller than he is and I'm old and and he's abusing me. It's elder abuse. What do What do you think I should do? Should I Should I go to h R? Should I call the police? What what happens here?
Speaker 2: What? What would you do? What would a dick do?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 17: You try to get along with him, you know why?
Speaker 5: I try, but you know, I just feel like such a a wuss if I don't stand up to him. But you know, physically I just can't do it. He knocks me around.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, did you.
Speaker 17: Get a lot of snow?
Speaker 5: I love, though he had changed the subject. We got a ton of snow, Dick.
Speaker 17: Yes, yeah, I know. I went out three or four times this week and I got stuck in the driveway and finally the tow truck came and.
Speaker 18: I found out it was lucky.
Speaker 17: My serpentine belt was bad, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh, and you don't. You don't go with a bad serpentine built.
Speaker 17: And they had the they had trouble with the key, but I was kept. And I've used a lot of money on them, the tow trucks.
Speaker 2: But uh oh geez, yeah, yeah, yeah, this is.
Speaker 5: This is there, Hey, this is I did hear from Dave And he wants you now that we have a national championship game set in college football. He wants you to choose between two of his favorite teams, and he's gonna go with whatever you think no Notre Dame one on Thursday, as I predicted they would, Ohio State one last night, as I predicted they would. Now here's the thing. Ohio State plays Notre Dame in the College Football National Championship a week from monday. Yeah, can you give me a dick pick on that game?
Speaker 17: It's gonna be I think Ohio State thirty run Notre Dame twenty eight.
Speaker 5: So a good close game. Thirty one twenty eight. That's a plausible score too.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know you're.
Speaker 3: One to tell you.
Speaker 17: My friends have been coming over a couple of times and I took them a car to Grismer. But the road's pretty good and they.
Speaker 2: Still slip, right, They're still real slippery.
Speaker 5: Did I would exercise extreme caution if you're going out?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 17: Really, yes, sir?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, So you promised me if you go out on this garbage here, on this ice and everything, you're gonna be careful. Promise me you'll be careful.
Speaker 17: Well, yeah, I'm working on my other things. It's been a little bit better. But I was telling you last week.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, mum's the word. Let's let's not even talk about it. Okay, okay, thank you?
Speaker 3: Dick.
Speaker 2: Say good night, Dick. God bless you, God bless you.
Speaker 11: Say good night, Dick, good night, bye bye bye, so long, so long.
Speaker 2: See you later, but audios.
Speaker 11: So long.
Speaker 5: Into the first official hour of this Saturday morning edition for Saturday, January eleventh, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Gary Jeff Walker.
Speaker 5: Here, I am lurking about again, creeping people out. No, I'm really not that creepy.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little.
Speaker 5: Uh Anyway, before day from Harrison joins us, Jason was chopping at the bit to talk to something, to talk about something. Well, were Mametry and her singing talents or Dick from Dayton. I'm not sure, Jason. What are you out and about doing on this early Saturday morning.
Speaker 19: I want to work out in the snow.
Speaker 2: Sounds fun?
Speaker 20: No, yeah, I like Mamme try a lot. And Dick's a very good guy. I'm glad he gave you his dick pick. And then I like Dave too. Dave's great. So but no, just calling and see how you're doing this morning.
Speaker 5: So you say you're working out in the snow, what do you actually do?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 11: Actually? I work on aircraft.
Speaker 19: Oh okay, yeah, I was aje mechanic in the Navy for a good four years there, and then switched to the US Army work on helicopters, and then got out and work on civilian aircraft.
Speaker 5: Now, well, God bless you for your service to our country, and thanks for you know what, if you're out doing anything on a Saturday morning in this weather, you are to be commended.
Speaker 2: So I commend you, sir.
Speaker 5: Continue forward and keep doing the keep doing the Lord's work.
Speaker 2: Jason, thank you so much. Now I think it's time. Do we have Dave? Oh we do.
Speaker 5: It's just walk up music. It's called Tennessee Birdwalk. Crank it, Liam, take away the trees, take away and we walk, of course Jack Blanchard and Missy Morgan from some time in the sixties and just a goofy little song that get in your brain and become an earworm and you won't be able to get.
Speaker 2: It out all day long. Dave from Harrison, good morning.
Speaker 11: Good morning, good job.
Speaker 21: How are you doing. I'm glad you made it in.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you're here.
Speaker 5: I like self deprecating humor, but I'm not very good at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 22: Hey, did you happen to see our mutual friend?
Speaker 23: Jug from Ripley doing his snow Angels in the sand.
Speaker 2: No, I did not.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's Kathy was showing me.
Speaker 21: He's rubbing it in.
Speaker 3: I think Gared Jeff rubbing it in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the oil beer in the Brown County is in Cancun.
Speaker 11: Somebody's got to do it.
Speaker 2: I suppose doing research on new venereal diseases. Yes, I'm sure not.
Speaker 22: And a big solid to Jason there. Thank you for your service.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: You know he's working on airplanes, working on aircraft, and he's out on a Saturday morning when we just endured another round of white death. It's amazing the resilience and the strength of the people who listened to this program. You for example, Hey, you know with Trump reelected in Hollywood on fire, I want to know what Sabrina Carpenter is going to do with your third wish?
Speaker 2: What have you got for me?
Speaker 24: Dave?
Speaker 2: You got anything?
Speaker 3: Well? I was going to ask you.
Speaker 11: You know what kind of where Muhammad Ali?
Speaker 2: More boxers?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 3: There you go, mango right on.
Speaker 11: Hey, here's one. What happened to the Alan Arkin potato?
Speaker 2: What happened to the Allen Arkin potato?
Speaker 3: What it got? Mash? Do you know where you buy this chicken? Broth and bolt at.
Speaker 5: Where would you buy chicken broth in bolt?
Speaker 21: You get it on the stock market?
Speaker 2: On the what on the stock market? That's what I thought you said? Goodbye, Dave.
Speaker 25: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or we have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 5: From the psychedelic era, when everyone was experimenting with everything. Kenny Rogers in the first edition cranked this for a second, It's groovy.
Speaker 6: I woke up the s morn and with the sundown shining.
Speaker 26: Oh yeah, I found my mind in a brown paper bag.
Speaker 2: But then this is this is weird man.
Speaker 27: I tripped on a cloud and fairly eight miles high, I told mine, man on a jagged.
Speaker 28: Sky, I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was.
Speaker 2: How many not so.
Speaker 5: Veiled drug references can you squeeze in in a verse of a song? They did it there, Rick Washburn, good morning, how you doing?
Speaker 29: Hey?
Speaker 22: Good morning? Hey, I'm great. I'd forgotten all about that song, and I didn't realize he'd done it.
Speaker 5: I tore my mind on a jagged sky. I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in?
Speaker 2: Condition was in? That's think of it.
Speaker 5: It's the same same guy who sang Coward of the County.
Speaker 2: Years later Kenny Rogers.
Speaker 22: And then of course the theme to Candy Check.
Speaker 5: No Kenny Rogers, Yes, not Kenny Logan. N No Kenny Rogers, Kenny Rogers. How are you receiving us? What are you receiving us on? And what's the news from the work bench old radio?
Speaker 2: Rick?
Speaker 22: Well, given the last sentence, I guess not very well. Now it's five by five. This is a nineteen thirty four lyric Console lyrics by Warlitzer. Huh yeah, the Worlitzer Warltzer, of course, may huge organs and wonderful jukeboxes for many, many years. They're still in business, owned by the Gibson Guitar Company now and Wurlitzer.
Speaker 5: You mentioned they made huge organs. They didn't have to sell people on how big their organs were. They would show you.
Speaker 2: How the.
Speaker 22: Thank you for that public service?
Speaker 2: Go ahead?
Speaker 22: Well so anyway, resisting, I'm going to go to a page out of the Radio Dealers magazine to describe this fantastic feature. And it really is fantastic, the two paragraphs worth. Fresh from the undreamed of triumph of the soulful Wurlitzer pipe organ, more than a score of craftsmen, uncanny in their knowledge of electrical intricacies, turned to the construction of a radio that would give the public what they expect from the knowledge held by electrical science. Today on the Lyric features are enabling lyric dealers to enjoy substantial sales increase. What did they just say, Well, it continues. For some time the science of radio has been particularly at a standstill. All reputable makes feature the same factors of interest to the public. Something new, something to stimulate new interest in radio, an element for the dealer in a feature that is distinctive, and his line alone has been imperative. The answer to this pressing demand is twenty four hour self tuning, only to be had by the Lyric group. And yes, this radio has twenty four hour self tuning. Wouldn't it be nice if either the you know the catalog or the dealer actually knew what in the blank that meant. It turns out that thing has a very fancy timer on it, and you can set it to any time of the day to turn on, and you can have it changed stations during the day at preset times and have it turn off at a set time.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It actually works? Does it actually work?
Speaker 3: And yes?
Speaker 22: And let me tell you, given the complexities of what went into a Worlitzer jukebox, I mean, Rube goldwood Berg would be proud of how the decide. But it does in fact work.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you were happy to happy to work on it.
Speaker 22: I was scared to death.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, be like.
Speaker 22: Cousin Eddie and Christmas vacation when he goes up when he hits that little the spinning thing that the candle propels, and he just hits it and all the blades fall off of the exactly.
Speaker 5: No, So does this Does this radio belong to you or someone else?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 22: It belongs to somebody else. And it's another one of those like hmm, I wonder if I can convince him it disappeared? Well, is that velvet ropes around it?
Speaker 3: Lyric.
Speaker 22: Really Worlitzer under the lyric name really didn't make very many radios, and they they this is probably one of the very last models they made, and so that's kind of a cool part of it too. They made from from the mid twenties into the mid thirties and then focus solely on the drink boxes, and I think most of us are glad they did.
Speaker 5: You won't mind sending me a screenshot of this particular item, would you?
Speaker 22: I will do my very best.
Speaker 5: Disorry all right, old radio Rick at gmail dot com if you'd like to get in touch with mister Washburn and thank you again, sir. That's that's wonderful. Have no idea what they were saying in the catalog to sell the thing, but the automatic tuning, self tuning, the early timer, that's cool stuff.
Speaker 3: Six p.
Speaker 5: Twenty one. I got about a minute to talk about this, isn't it. I'm not going to get political because that serves no purpose except to point out the people who are in charge, or when it comes to the state of California, when it comes to the city of Los Angeles, two of the most incompetent people in a crisis that we have witnessed in a long time in this country. And it doesn't matter that they're Democrats or their Marxists or whatever you want to call them.
Speaker 2: They're just ineffective.
Speaker 5: And it's not unprecedented to have Santa Ana wins or hire in California, especially this time of the year. It's not unprecedented, obviously to have wildfires. There are wildfires in California every year. And the citizens of California back in twenty fourteen, Proposition one voted to put billions upon billions of dollars from the state's budget into building reservoirs. This was eleven years ago. In twenty fourteen, not one reservoir has been built. And the rain water and they've had pretty substantial rain the last couple of years in California, but they've just let it run off to the Pacific. So Gavin Newsom, Karen Bass, you should be both the kissing your jobs goodbye. And it's way past time. Failed leadership is failed leadership. It doesn't matter if there's an r D there, but what's happened in California. I don't live there. I have a few people that I know that do, but just as an observer from afar. What's happened there is totally disgusting and it really should make everyone at least living there very very mad at a lack of leadership from the governor on down ps end of story.
Speaker 10: Excuse me, I know you have a nine o'clock so I'll keep this short.
Speaker 16: I'm toasting you.
Speaker 30: Sit, hon we may be thrown.
Speaker 20: You'll never care me.
Speaker 2: Comp he's the whiskey round. What's time for our weekly welfare check?
Speaker 5: Not cashable by the way in most banks. Now a little check to make sure everything's all right in the peaceful, beautiful little village of Ripley, Ohio. So we head east out of downtown on fifty two through Hamilton and Claremont and how now Brown County and the gang at Brookie Saloon on Main Street on a snowy Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: Hello, gang, how are you good? It's a gang of two.
Speaker 5: Darren, Darren and the Green Hornet hanging out in mister Bronson's absence. Now, the oil bearing of Brown County, as I mentioned earlier, is vacation. He's like a business vacation in can coon learning how to builk people out of more money with his oil and lubricant products. So are you guys, are you guys missing Doug? Do you feel like there's something there that that's that's avoid in your lives this morning? Because Doug is sunning while the rest of us are freezing.
Speaker 3: It's not right.
Speaker 2: Did you see nobody is sand angels?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, sand angels. Yes, I understand. I tell you what.
Speaker 5: That must be a pretty a good swath of beach for him to be able to lay down on it and spread his arms.
Speaker 12: Though, Darren shouted.
Speaker 4: To me this morning on his phone and oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: No, you know, I don't think he sent me the image, and I'm not understanding why he wouldn't share share that with me.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah.
Speaker 2: He did, Thank thank goodness, thank thank goodness.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't I don't know if there are a lot of uh wheel sightings in Cancun, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a sundown. I don't want to see.
Speaker 5: No, No, there's something because you can't unsee it once you do. I know he's happy that his Buckeyes are back in the national championship. So we'll give him that, give him Ohio State plan and they're they're going to beat Notre Dame. Sorry, fighting Irish fans I'm just telling you, Uh, so, what's what's going on in Brookies anything?
Speaker 22: Oh lot? We got to Green the Hearts is up a little over one hundred and ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 17: Don't have any bands breast those shoes, if you.
Speaker 5: No doubt about it. Yeah, I wonder how the uh these services are in Ripley. I know people have been complaining in some parts of Cincinnati, in the areas in northern Kentucky that haven't been so good at attacking the snow situation. But do you guys have any kind of snowplows or anything out there other than just personally owned by by residents.
Speaker 22: They the best they can.
Speaker 11: I guess it's a.
Speaker 24: Ball lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: You got to be patient, no doubt.
Speaker 4: I was impressed driving around them this morning early, so I was impressed.
Speaker 18: I'm up and done a pretty good job myself.
Speaker 5: Good deal. Well, you know, it's it's not it's not an easy job. That's for darn sure, Cherry, give me a weather rock report and we'll get out of here.
Speaker 4: Well, the weather rock is buried under the snow because it fell down, you know, last week, and nobody put it back up. So we're we're just we got plenty of see.
Speaker 2: This is this is just before we go. This is the thing.
Speaker 5: This is a major tourist attraction in Ripley, Ohio. People drive from miles around to come and see the weather Rock. You've told me that this is a big, big kind of interest point for tourism, and I don't know why you would not take better care of it. Who's in charge of the weather Rock?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if it's buzz He's the one that made it. But well now Jerry Jones put it at the last on for me. So but we're not to wait till it thaws out. Now, sell on the little rock, cats, doll on it.
Speaker 5: You guys, have a wonderful rest of the day and get to work on the weather Rock.
Speaker 2: There's now.
Speaker 5: Like I said, this is a major, major tourist attraction in your little town, and people have got a people have got to have a reason to come and see you. Besides the pizza Brookies. Take care by seven hundred WLW Steve from Etna, Ohio Up next, another set Saturday morning together as we trudge through the first couple of weeks of the new year.
Speaker 2: January eleventh.
Speaker 5: I mentioned earlier that Today is the anniversary my parents' sixty seventh wedding anniversary. So I thought, before we get to Steve here, how do you decide who to marry? This is written by kids. Alan, aged ten, says, you got to find somebody who likes the same stuff, like if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports. And keep the chips and dip. Coming Steve from at Ohio.
Speaker 16: Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 14: Being believers, You and I Gary Jeff, know that there is no heaven on earth. That would be another violation of the meaning of words like oh, I don't know sex and gender. Heaven is bliss. Earth is where you earn bliss. Even the richest and best of quarterbacks is going to have to endure a hell of a lot of sacks. So when tragedies strike and somebody questions why God would allow such a thing, I just shake my head. There's no better example of this than the Kennedy family, whose legacy was retold this past year when Bobby Jr. Was thrown out of the Democrat Party and welcomed by Donald Trump, who was also rich and knows something about being kicked around. The Kennedys may have more money than God, probably because God doesn't need it. Papa Joseph P. Kennedy was probably the greatest business tycoon this country has ever produced. He made oodles of money in both good times and bad. He scoffed at people who told him he was crazy when he bought Florida swampland he invested in the Hollyoo In the thirties, when the average American went to the movies to forget the pains of the depression, he got a deal with a Scotch distiller where he got to cut up every bottle sold in the United States. As a good Catholic, he became the preferred real estate broker for the Catholic Archdiocese of New York City, where the take on a deal could be worth more than a quarter of a million bucks. It helped feed those nine kids he and Rose had, and he fed them really well. But wait, wait a minute, take a look at what happened to his children. Joe Junior was tapped by Dad to be a future president. He was killed in a plane crash in World War Two. Brother John did become president and was murdered, as was Robert Kennedy Senior, done in by a Palestinian terrorist in Los Angeles. Ted Kennedy wanted to be president too, but a career of drinking and carousing caught up with him and he couldn't even beat Jimmy Carter for the nomination. In nineteen eighty Rosemary wound up in lifelong care after unsuccessful brain surgery, and Kathleen continued a tradition of dying in a plane crash when she left this world at age twenty eight in England. Question, would you trade places with any of these folks? Yes, three of the daughters did quite well for themselves, but the odds would not be in your favor of mind. And then there's the grandkids. Oh my, Bobby Senior and Ethel produced eleven children. David died a twenty eight of a drug overdose, and his brother Michael died in a skiing accident. Ethel's parents, No, you guessed it. They both died in a plane crash. Kennedy family tradition marked most recently by JFK. Junior's demise off Long Island. It's not just the Wright brothers who have made the Kennedys miserable. Henry Ford deserves some of the blame. Bobby and Ethel's son, Joseph the Second, overturned a jeep and nantucket and permanently paralyzed his girlfriend. This just four years after Teddy drove a buick into the water at chap Equittic save himself, but not as passenger Marry jo Kopecney. She was twenty eight, which brings us to two outcasts in the family. Oh Yeah, Bobby Junior naturally for supporting Trump and questioning Fax Happy doctors, and kennedy cousin Joey Gargan Junior. Joey was excuse me. Joey was Teddy's first cousin and childhood playmate. He famously was tasked to quote keep Teddy out of trouble. The phrase Joey will fix it became the family mantra. Joey was one of two lawyers at that party on Martha's vineyard, where Teddy proved he was a great swimmer but a lousy driver. Joey advised Teddy that night to report that accident immediately. He did not, apparently thinking Joey could fix it, ted swam away and didn't report the accident till later in the morning. Rose Kennedy matriarch of the family would never forgive, wait for this Joey for anything bad that happened that night. When Teddy died in two nine, Joey was not a pallbearer nor honorary pallbearer at a funeral. He'd been kicked out of the club. That may be a sacred rite in the Kennedy Church. Bobby Jr. Was the second son of Bobby Sor and Ethel. When Ethel died last year, Bobby could only be seen in the back of the crowd, invited to be neither pallbearer nor honorary pallbearer. We could blame all this on Trump, but we probably shouldn't. And please don't blame God when things go wrong. He's just as disappointed as you. Gry Jeff, my nephew. Everybody has a story like this. I guess now lost his house in Los Angeles. The good news is, if there is any he didn't own the house. He was running it. His wife had kicked him out some number of years ago, and she has the house that he pays for, and that house is still around. But he's been a musician in Los Angeles for thirty years. And although he has rental insurance. He's kind of disappoint all his tapes are gone, and he lost his piano. Everybody has something bad happened to them. Get over it, folks. God got over Jesus dying on the cross. Hey, take care of yourself. God bless you you.
Speaker 5: As well, sir real quickly, Ray Scott, how you doing, my friend?
Speaker 23: Good morning, good morning, my brother, good morning.
Speaker 3: You know, action speak.
Speaker 11: Louder in words. And you know, maybe this is Donald Trump's fault too. I don't know.
Speaker 23: I guess electing him, not once, but twice. It was a bridge too far for Mike Michelle. You know, she was able to attend George Herbert Walker Bush's funeral, but her nonverbal up yours, I'm not proud of America anymore, could not attend President Carter's May he rest in peace?
Speaker 11: Interesting?
Speaker 3: Interesting, Sorry to be a downer.
Speaker 11: Just got she was of all.
Speaker 5: The living presidents, she was the only first lady, former first lady, who was not there.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I just she was busy.
Speaker 1: What can they say, I don't know, just.
Speaker 2: Busy on vacation in Hawaii. Yes, it's a scheduling conflict.
Speaker 22: We'll see what happens next time.
Speaker 5: You know, No matter what you say, I think she's a good man. Six fifty five seven underd WLWX into.
Speaker 2: Another hour.
Speaker 5: Of this Saturday Morning edition for Saturday, January eleventh, twenty twenty five. Gary Jeff Walker, at your service. Five minutes after the hour on the snowy Saturday. How you doing. My friend Steve Shulty is standing by an environmental leftate.
Speaker 2: First Louis, I.
Speaker 13: See tree so green, I've seen them blue f and I think to myself, what a wonderful.
Speaker 2: Stephen.
Speaker 5: Good morning, sir. It's great to talk to you. As always we have. What's that, sir?
Speaker 3: Good morning?
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: Very much about I don't know how many years ago you told this story about someone in cal someone in California, Yeah, who saw that there was a fire had broken out, as they often do in California. And he was he was he he he had a he had some equipment in like a I don't know as a caterpillar or a bulldozer, you said. And he was digging, he was digging a trench to stop the fire and to cut the fire line. And he was stopped by someone who was an official said if you do that, I'm gonna have to arrest you. I'm trying to stop the fire. And I don't know what the deal was. But supposedly you you recall this story.
Speaker 24: Steve Yes, but it was actually was not in California. It was another left coast state, the state of Oregon. Okay, so uh, but it's it's the same thing, Gary, Jeff. But I'm trying to describe what this you can call this, and I came up so a few few words called man made catastrophic, anti human flourishing wildfires. Yeah, and you hear this word called They're saying, well, this is unprecedented. Well it's unprecedented only in size. Every year, during the dry season there are California wildfires that have been going on and the indigenous people populated California and no white man had had entered that area yet.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 24: You know, this is basically desert. So but you know, they do have a wet season. So during the wet season, things grow nice and get green and whatnot. But every year there's a dry season and all that stuff they grew during the wet season dries up becomes tender, you know, not just trees, but mainly it's a brush type material, you know, stuff that is just ready just for any little sparks. You know, people will blame The Pacific is a gas and electric company, and yep, there's plenty of blame there. It could be a cigarette butt thrown by somebody out there, you know, going down the road and throwing it out into the into the brush on the side of the road. It could be deliberately that all these things that have been every year happened. But then you would think that the politicians and the bureaucrats of California would be well prepared for these things that they know will happen, because obviously insurance companies know it would happen, and obviously insurance companies had rightfully so no confidence in the governments to handle the issue well.
Speaker 5: The fact, unfortunately, Steve, the fact of the matter is voters in California in twenty fourteen approved something called Proposition one, which allocated billions upon billions of dollars out of the state's budget to build I think at least six reservoirs. None None have been built in the last ten years.
Speaker 24: What there, of course, the question is what has what have the bureaucrats and politicians have done with all this money exactly because obviously they're billions and billion and sit there and not do anything with so one of the things that you know, I've been watching and several commenters, you know, when they're interviewing people whatnot, I have said when they were growing up as children in the seventies and into the eighties in the Los Angeles area, they could look up into the hills and they can.
Speaker 3: You could see fire breaks.
Speaker 24: The fire breaks were large enough that you could see them from many, many miles away.
Speaker 2: But by the.
Speaker 24: Nineties these fire breaks were rare. One person said the fire breaks in one area where he lived, they were stopped because of some It may have the fire breaks possibly would interfere with the migration of some mouse. Now, Gary Jeff, somebody would say, well, we just can't run rush eyed over the environment in nature, and that's true. But what has the lack of fire breaks and other infrastructure done to nature over the last three or four days? Destroyed it utter devastation. And somebody had one I think it was Fox said. Some researchers did some real quick calculations and found that if you took all the co two that the state of California claims it has, you know, eliminated over these many years, all of that fus Moore has been wiped.
Speaker 3: Out by these fires.
Speaker 24: Ye does these fires produce carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide, sulfur oxide, particulate matters. And anybody's been around.
Speaker 5: Steve, they're telling they're telling people, they're telling people going back to their homes not to touch anything until they've decided the toxicity of the things that they are touching.
Speaker 24: And guess where all that stuff when it when it blows, wind blows, that stuff's being all over the place. The next brain that comes all that stuff that was going into streams and the Pacific Ocean. I heard on one channel they're already seeing all kinds of stuff being washed up from the from the ocean. So we mean, it's just it's a class I mean, an environmental disaster of unknown proportions.
Speaker 5: And and well, the wildfires aren't unprecedented, like they keep saying. The response and the lack of response is unpressed precedented. And a lot of this misery could have been prevented. Yes, no matter what Mother Nature did, if they'd only done their job doing what they're paid to do.
Speaker 2: Listen. I appreciate the phone call.
Speaker 5: I get more upset about this every time I think about it because.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 5: Jeff, you and I vote. It's awful. All right, Steve, thank you so much. Seven twelve, It's seven. Let us get physical. Roco Costellano checking in on a Saturday morning on seven hundred WLW and Roco. For people who don't know you, you put out these papers that you do a lot of research on every week at Rococostelano dot com. And the one that you sent, excuse me, the one you sent me just really grab my attention because it's something contrary to what I believe. It says eating healthy, Eating eating healthy on a budget isn't impossible. First and foremost, I want to tell you, I look at the prices of organic in the store and they're jacked up. So that's eating healthy on a budget. And sometimes I don't have money for the extra that I gotta pay for organic.
Speaker 2: How do you answer that, my man.
Speaker 3: Well, there's so many you know, like eating healthy on a budget. It doesn't actually mean that you have to eat eat strictly organic either, you know, because there's a lot of foods. The big organic thing is about the pest. You know, is about the pesticides that that's on the food, right, and and the certain foods that you know, you just wash and the pesticides will get all of it. But but like the big thing, like the article that I wrote about was a.
Speaker 11: Really to.
Speaker 3: I gotta make uh decisions, good decisions because most will they go in the grocery store and they and they just buy. Well, most people go shopping hungry. Never go shopping hungry, that's first, because don't buy yeah, all the garbage that's out there. But when you do go to the grocery store, you want to a first, always make a list, right, make that list where you're based on what you're going to make that week. Most people don't plan out their meals at all. They go to the grocery store. They buy the same garbage every single week.
Speaker 5: And that's that's not that's not true. When I go, I go with a menu in mind. So that's what you're saying. At first, go with a menu in mind for for the week to come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, and then and then buy what I owe do is and my wife does actually more than me, is that we do batch uh, Like we plan a week out and then we actually create what's called batch cooking to uh, so we make soups for I mean, we make soups sometimes for like two weeks, you know, especially for the winter time. So we'll prepare multiple meals at once, you know, and then we freeze them and that and that allows you to you know, to you know, to kind of buy in bulk and then and then always shop seasonal and local. Don't go to the store right now and try to buy something that is you know, like like blueberries right now or like strawberries right now. You're not gonna buy you know, like that healthy food uh right now, because it's not gonna be it's gonna be like six seven dollars a buy you know, a card, so you buy it in the summer time when it's like two dollars, and then you can freeze stuff and there's you know, and there's way different there's so many different ways to do that. And then you know, and based meals on affordable staples.
Speaker 2: Well they do.
Speaker 5: So here's another idea, Rocco. They slaughter hogs in February, so I should should get a good deal on pork soon.
Speaker 21: Yeah, sure, you know, absolutely, Yeah, like there's different you know, when you do your research, you'll find that there's you know, you know.
Speaker 3: There's different foods, there's different vegetables. And if you if you go a vegetarian, and I don't like being you know, like telling people to go vegetarian, but if you do a vegetarian meal, you know, like two times a week, it's going to be much much cheaper than uh, you know than uh and then cooking meat every single time.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, I got it.
Speaker 5: You can check this out at Rococostelano dot com. And I believe this was featured in something called Whoop, so you can check it out there. Eat healthy on a budget, according you know. And the thing about making a menu, you're right, Rocco. I at a time when I was really short on cash, I'd plan on seven or eight Tony's frozen pizzas a week and it would be thank you time.
Speaker 2: Now for the.
Speaker 5: Tom Davis with wild wacky news stories from all over the country and all over the world.
Speaker 30: Here is our reporter, now, Tom, Good morning, Gary, Jeff. This week, if you cut yourself shaving, just file a lawsuit. But first, the good people of Santa Monica are outraged. While they are fighting for their very lives against raging wildfires. The Santa Monica Police Department is busy handing out parking tickets now. Some say it's to help get the cars off the streets for emergency vehicles, while others say it's a summation of all the California's problems, regulators worrying about nothing while the whole thing burns to the ground. Meantime, a nice lady in Bay County, Florida arrested after she accidentally texted a narcotics investigator instead of her fitnel dealer. The cop played along met her at the gas station where she was arrested. A landlord and the lovely Buckeye town of Richmond Heights is cleaning up after his evicted tenant left the water on and flood of the joint. The lady renter stopped up the sinks and the tub by stuffing clothes down the drain and turned them both on full blast. She did seven thousand dollars worth of damage and she's gone. She took off for another state. Her friend says it's not the first time she's done. Police are still looking for and finally, Nick Silverthorne says he's a hero. He sued a razor company after cutting himself shaving. He insists this was no regular run of the mill razor snag. He says this was a dangerous razor that was made incorrectly and did some real damage to his face, and he sued to keep it from happening to anyone else. He can't be that good looking because he settled for six grand. Next week, a Saint Petersburg man is selling his pirate ship a bargain at only ten grand.
Speaker 2: Have a great weekend. Let's in ten.
Speaker 5: Another hour of the Saturday Morning edition for this Saturday, January the eleventh, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Gary, Jeff, it's me you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're looking good, thanks for being around seven minutes after the hour eight oh seven Eastern that is. And it's time for a check in with our science friend. We call science mine. He's a friend's knowledgeable.
Speaker 14: Yes, as a nightly scientist.
Speaker 21: Is it surprising all binding me?
Speaker 2: Michael?
Speaker 5: Good morning, How are you surviving the Snowmageddon?
Speaker 29: Getting ready to spray the snowshovel with more PAM so it doesn't stick to it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know when I could have used some PAM out when I was shoveling earlier this week. I forgot about that hack. But does canola oil work as well as pam?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Okay, all right, I think I've got some of that. So anyway, what's going on?
Speaker 29: Man, Let's let's let's talk about the Santa Ana wins. Okay, to find exactly you hear it all the time.
Speaker 3: What are the winds?
Speaker 29: So dividing the Los Angeles side in the west between the east west and the east, he got the San Gabriel Mountains. On the east side of the Santa Gabriel's you have what they call the Mahabi Basin, which is part the Great Basin of Western United States, makes up Lower Idaho, Idaho, Nevada.
Speaker 2: The area out there.
Speaker 29: High pressure sits in that basin and when low pressure created is created off the coast of California, the high pressure winds physics speaking of high pressure winds moved into low pressure areas now because of the because they have these these uh, these mountains.
Speaker 3: As the wind.
Speaker 29: High pressure flows over these San Gabriel Mountains. When when air is actually a fluid, and when fluids such like air, when they move out higher velossity, they dry up. And because of drier air flowing through these canyons, you have less chance of more chance of these fires spreading like they did. Now when you saw the video of pictures along the Pacific Coast Highway, you'll have some homes will be totally destroyed, a row of homes. You'll have one it's just standing there, not touched at all, and then four or five more burnt. And it repeats that kind of a pattern. That's because of the topography of the channels or the canyons. These winds come whipping down these canyons, carrying these embers and just they just like a blowtorch in certain specific areas of along the coast there and some houses get it, and and some houses well you.
Speaker 2: See that, Mike.
Speaker 5: You see that in other natural disasters and other storms with tornadoes, you see with with hurricanes, you know. And it is the the seemingly randomness of these events. But there are scientific reasons for them, yes.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 29: And one of the John Keeley, who's a research collegist for USGS, he says they've been studying these wins for seventy one years and the count the number of these Santa anim occurrences have not have not changed. They're still getting the same number of wins. But the problem is for some reason they're shifting more intoward the later season of this, more in December and January. And they say, no, we have no evidence at all that this is at all climate related, this movement of the winds later into the season. It's just one of those things. I mean, you look at something for seventy one years, that's a slow period of time.
Speaker 11: You're looking at something.
Speaker 3: Let's face it.
Speaker 29: I mean, you can't really next seventy one years they may shift back to December.
Speaker 2: You don't, you know, you don't.
Speaker 11: You just don't know.
Speaker 29: It's just too short of a time period.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 5: I mean that's that's nothing in comparison to the age of the earth, you know, And and it's you know, short term trends aren't trends. They're just little blips sometimes in the radar.
Speaker 29: I just wanted all these homes burning. How many well with some well off people had lost their said, I'm not regardless of your status. Oh yeah, how much how much stuff was artwork and really expensive items they had in these homes. I'm just curious about what what that value was. The cash they held or the special.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing in the aftermath, to God help anybody who wants to rebuild their home with all the permitting and the garbage, the hoops you've got to jump through in California.
Speaker 2: Another thing that's they.
Speaker 29: Say they're not allowed. They're not allowed to build on that on the coast anymore. Like the House of the burn down. There's no more. They're not going to allow anymore homes.
Speaker 5: Just another reason for more, just another reason for more people to exit California.
Speaker 2: And you know you can't.
Speaker 5: You cannot find a U haul in California because they're all rented out.
Speaker 2: They are leaving in mass That's right. One way to take us, all right, Take care, Take care.
Speaker 5: Twelve minutes past the hour, seven hunderd w A.
Speaker 27: Yeah, And let's go to brother Rick Green on a Saturday morning, the Word of God.
Speaker 5: Trying to do something positive on this program at least once once in three and a half hours, Brother Rick, how are you this morning?
Speaker 26: Hey, good morning, Gary, Jeff. I love this verse today, man, cause this is where I'm at in my life, Gary, Jeah. It's Galatians Chapter one, verse ten. It says that am I now trying to win the approval of human beings or of God, or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I will not be a servant of Christ. Amen.
Speaker 22: Wow, I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the defining line, you know. I love it this world or or the world after that.
Speaker 2: That is eternal, yes, yes.
Speaker 26: And individual choice. I love people. I love God more, but I do love people.
Speaker 5: And their creations of God. So you kind of are required to love people, you know what I mean. But but you don't. You don't live for other people or for the accolades of this earth.
Speaker 2: That's that's for certain.
Speaker 5: Well, Rick, thank you so much for Sharon, brother, and I just want to give you this on the on the flip side here, this is Psalm one hundred one. Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth audibly praise the Lord of Lord and the King of Kings. That's basically what this is saying. And he alone is worthy. Thank you so much, brother, have a blessed day. All right, we're on the way, Thank you so much. You're breaking back on seven utter WLW.
Speaker 9: Overall it's just mostly cloudy with tempters topping out in the upper twenties.
Speaker 2: Tonight, we stay dry with cloudy conditions.
Speaker 9: You'll be in the mid teens before you warm up to the low to mid thirties on your Sunday. From a severe weather station, I'm nine First Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harden on news radio seven hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 5: Liam, thank you very much for the musical interlude. We'll save that for the moment. Sports, that's what we're talking now.
Speaker 7: College football playoff is set January twentieth. Notre Dame will face Ohio State in Atlanta thanks to a twenty eight fourteen Ohio State win over Texas. Texas had the ball at the one yard line with a chance to tie the game up with under three minutes left in the ballgame, but Ohio State was able to get a stop and a strip sacked touchdown by Jack Sawyer ticket eighty three yards of the house to finish it at twenty eight to fourteen.
Speaker 5: Yes, follows up the twenty seven to four twenty four Notre Dame win over Penn State on Thursday night. You got some college football today or college basketball?
Speaker 7: I mean yeah, you see host Kansas in pursuit of their first Big twelve one of the season, Pregame coverage begins at one thirty tip except for two. Catch all that action right here on seven hundred. Wlw's Avery travels to Paul this evening. Pre game coverage begins at three thirty. Tip is set for four. Listen to Byron and Joe on fifty five KRC. The sixth ranked Kentucky Wildcatch travel to Starkfield if faced fourteenth ranked Misssippi State Bulldogs. That game is at eight, and you can catch all that action on ESPN fifteen thirty and NKU host Oakland. Pre game coverage begins at five thirty tip except for six on Fox Sports thirteen sixty seventy five days until opening day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what about today? We got NFL action just because the Bengals are done. You're not talking about the NFL. This is a huge day's Super wild Card weekend.
Speaker 7: Man, they actually dropped Super so it's just wild Card weekend.
Speaker 2: When did they drop Super? I don't know.
Speaker 7: Mike Florio emailed the league about it because he started realizing in the branding there's no more Super so it's just Wildcard weekend.
Speaker 5: So it was Super Wildcard Weekend last weekend. Now it's just wild Card weekend. Yeah, because they don't want to confuse with the super Bowl. Is that the problem?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Maybe we'll get like a super divisional round week I don't know. We'll figure out Mega. Let's change it to Mega.
Speaker 2: Do you have that tune ready that was playing when it shouldn't have been playing a moment ago. There it is.
Speaker 5: He's seventy three today. His name is Lee Rittenour and this is his record.
Speaker 2: Is it you?
Speaker 5: Which made it to number fifteen on the charts back in the day. But he's worked on so many different projects, including Pink Floyd's The Wall. They added him to beef up the heavy guitar on Run Like hell, this is not quite that happening, Sun.
Speaker 1: I'm on my door, stranger, someone's in my dream. Compet it all fomma, let me see where you're sat.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: I wanted to know.
Speaker 5: If you knew that there is a UDF grand opening in Amelia today on Route one twenty five. Stay Route one twenty five in Amelia and from nine am until one o'clock this afternoon. Get this forty cents off the lowest prices of gas, free coffee, free donuts, free ice cream, icy drinks UDF, homemade ice cream specials, buy one, get one free and the like. That's from our Mark Sheer but again Amelia State Route one twenty five Grand opening UDF. And the big thing, of course is the forty cents off the lowest gas prices, so you know, brave the weather, get filled up and maybe some free coffee and donuts. Calling all in the Amelia area to come on out and enjoy the fun this morning starting at nine o'clock. Gifts from Wally on the Way and a conversation with Moeger and Mike Allen Saturday Midday. All ahead as we continue on a Saturday morning on seven hundred wlw.
Speaker 28: Aging well means staying healthy, active and independent. To age well, we need to take care of our bones. Ten million Americans have osteoporosis, a hereditary disease that makes bones weak and more likely to break. Thankfully, we can all take simple steps to improve our bone health at any a Eat a healthy diet that is rich in calcium and vitamin D. Get regular weight bearing exercise, which means on our feet. Get bone health tips at path to goodbonehealth dot org.
Speaker 10: Excuse me, I know you have a nine o'clock. So I'll keep this short. I'm the business suit in the back of your closet. You wore me nearly every day before your office went quote casual. I used to be the CEO of your closet. Now I'm just that one intern no one ever talks to. I always thought you'd circle back with me, get granular, keep me in the pipeline. But nada, nothing. Don't you remember the McKittrick presentation. You spilled coffee on me and I still looked amazing during the breakout talk back, Q and A. So I think it's time for me to move on. I've got a great resume and I absolutely crush it in interviews. Okay, let's make this a clean break shift the paradigm. The only thing I ask is that you think outside the box here and do this. Take me to good Will where I can really make a difference.
Speaker 6: Your donations to Goodwill create new job training programs and education assistance for people in your community. To find your nearest donation center, go to Goodwill dot org. Donate stuff, create jobs. A message from Goodwill and the ad Council. I'm a firefighter, a.
Speaker 16: Teacher, I'm a farmer, I'm a barber, a waitress, a mom.
Speaker 2: We're all part of your community.
Speaker 10: Every day we move in and out of each other's busy lives.
Speaker 31: It's easy to take for granted awful little moments that make up our every day.
Speaker 16: Some are good, others not so much, but that's life. It's when you experience a moment of uncertainty.
Speaker 11: Something or someone's behavior that doesn't seem quite right.
Speaker 16: These are the moments to take a ponise, because if.
Speaker 32: Something doesn't feel right, it's probably not.
Speaker 16: It's not about paranoia or being afraid.
Speaker 2: It's about standing up and protecting our.
Speaker 10: Communities, one detail at a time, because a lot of little details can become a pattern.
Speaker 31: We we we we trust our instincts.
Speaker 32: Just like you should, because only you know what's not supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be in your every day.
Speaker 16: So protect your every day.
Speaker 15: If you see something suspicious, say something to local authorities.
Speaker 32: Adopt us kids presents. What do you expect when you're expecting a teenager learning the lingo?
Speaker 33: Today, I'm going to help parents translate teen slang. Now, when a teen says something is on fleek, it's exactly like saying that's rad. It simply means that something is awesome or cool. Another one is toats. It's exactly like saying totally, just shorter, as in I totes love going to the mall. Becca. Another word you might hear is jelly. Jelly is a shorter, better way to say jealous, as in Chloe, I am like so jelly of your unicorn phone case.
Speaker 32: You don't have to speak teen to be a perfect parent. Thousands of teens in foster care will think you're rad just the same. To learn more or visit adopt us Kids dot org, a public service announcement brought to you by the US Department of Health and Human Services, adopt Us Kids, and the ad Council.
Speaker 34: Sarah Spain for Iheartwomen's Sports presented by ELF Beauty, Tennis's first grand slam of the year kicks off today with the Australian Open in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty three.
Speaker 34: Champion in world number one Arena Sabalanca enters as the tournament's first overall seed for the first time. She'll be challenged by number two Egasfontec, number three Coco goth and number four Jasmin Paulini. The first round starts tonight at seven pm Eastern with live coverage cross ESPN platforms. For more women's sports stories, subscribe A Good Game with Sarah Spain on iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 28: Hydrate Hydrate, Hydrate with Holy Hydration face cream.
Speaker 2: Out our Saturday.
Speaker 9: But overall it's just mostly cloudy with tempters topping out in the upper twenties tonight. We stay dry with cloudy conditions. You'll be in the mid teens before you warm up to the low to mid thirties on your Sunday. From a severe weather station, I'm nine First Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harden on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 28: Just some light flurries, nothing major right now on the radar it is twenty four degrees here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: I'm Sandy Collins.
Speaker 28: Another update coming up at nine on news Radio seven hundred WLWS.
Speaker 18: News twenty four hours a day, News Radio seven hundred WLW, Good.
Speaker 2: Morning, Kids, Time, Will Gifts from Waldie. Surprise visit Home.
Speaker 5: A guy gets home from work early hears strange noises coming from the bedroom upstairs. He rushes to find his wife naked on the bed, sweating and panting. He said, what's going on, I'm having a heart attack, she says. He rushes back downstairs because he left his phone on the counter to call nine to one one, And just as he's dialing, his four year old son comes up and says, Daddy, Daddy, uncle Ted's hiding in your closet and he's.
Speaker 2: Got no clothes on.
Speaker 5: The guy slams his phone down, runs back up the stairs, opens up the closet door, and sure enough, his brother Ted is there naked, cowering on the closet four.
Speaker 2: He says, you.
Speaker 5: Idiot, My wife's having a heart attack and you all you can do is run around the house naked and scare the kids.
Speaker 31: Seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, available everywhere with the iHeartRadio app now number one for podcasting seven hundred WLW and iHeartRadio Station.
Speaker 1: Run a business and not thinking about podcasting, think again.
Speaker 33: More Americans listen to podcasts than adds supported streaming music from Spotify and Pandora.
Speaker 5: And as we're Joe Frederick jumps, we always want to know how high he's going to jump now. Joe actually asked me to make this announcement today. The Griffin Classic with Moravian prep versus Wesley Christian has moved to a one thirty tip at Holy Cross High School again, the Griffin classic Moravian Prep versus Wesley Christian moved to a one thirty tip at holy Cross High School, and there you go.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's go to the phone. Hey, MO, what's going on? Good morning, Good morning?
Speaker 11: How are we doing?
Speaker 2: Doing fine? Doing fine? I tell you what.
Speaker 5: It's just like I predicted a couple of weeks ago, Ohio State, Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: And both of these games, Mo, both of these games.
Speaker 5: At these bowl games that got us to this point were decided at a crucial point near the end of the game where the loser turned the ball over.
Speaker 2: And it happened again last night.
Speaker 5: Happened the interception in the Notre Dame Penn State game on Thursday, and it had it happened last night with the takeaway at as they were driving, and I mean, taking care of the football all was his key, right.
Speaker 11: Perhaps the most important aspect of the sport.
Speaker 3: And yeah, you're right.
Speaker 11: I mean in neither game did we get great quarterback play across the board. But we got some defensive rows last night from a guy who I would imagine nearly every Bengals fan watching thought, boy, he'd be pretty good in stripes. Jack Sawyer made a terrific play. We'll go down in Ohio State history as a legend. And you know, and obviously had a terrific career, but you know, the sack the forest humble and then picking it up and running or jogging whatever it was, eighty two yards for a touchdown. Ohio State's defensive makeover over the last couple of years. You know, if you think of the first few years that Ryan Day was the head coach, they were very prolific offensively, but couldn't stop anybody defensively. That's been their calling card and as explosive as they have been in the other two playoff games, defense is the reason why, you know, for much of the game last night, Ohio State scored first and then they kind of spun their hires offensively. Texas's defense had a lot to do with that. Ohio State's defense had an answer every single time and had an answer for Texas late in the game last night. And I'm really excited to see the Iris and the Buckeyes play in the National Championship Game a week from monday.
Speaker 5: I always thought that Ohio State, you know, they're always in the hunt, so to speak, but Notre Dame I think is kind of surprising people.
Speaker 2: In Marcus Freeman's year.
Speaker 5: This year, he could be the second youngest coach to win a national championship if the Irish come through against the Buckeyes a week from Monday night. But Notre Dame kind of a surprise to see in the national game.
Speaker 11: What do you think, Well, I think relative maybe to some people's preseason expectations, or certainly their expectations after the Irish lost to Northern Illinois. But I think going into this tournament, you looked at them, and you also looked at their draw. Right, they were gonna play Indiana at home, Notre Dame, man for man better than Indiana. I think most of us knew that going in. Most of us suspected that coming out. And they played a Georgia team, though all very good, I think you would say is the least intimidating Georgia team Dogs to put on the field in five or six years, playing with a backup quarterback. That's not to take anything away from the fighting Irish, but I'll tell you something, Marcus Freeman's the real deal. You know, a guy who is the defensive coordinator at the University of Cincinnati for Luke Fickle's first few seasons there, did a great job and not just building a very good defense, but was a master recruiter. And I think what he has done. You know, there was a piece of ESPN dot com back during the summer that talked about Marcus Freeman expanding the Notre Dame recruiting footprint, really leaning into NIL, which I think has leveled the playing field.
Speaker 33: Look at what.
Speaker 11: We've had the last two years in college football, a sport dominated by the SEC, and now the last two years we have national championship games without an SEC team in it. Why is that, Well, it's because now everybody can pay the players, not just the SEC illegally and Notre Dame has taken advantage of that, and Marcus Freeman, I'm really happy for him. I think it's fun when Notre Dame is this good. You know, I don't subscribe to the belief that, well, the sport needs Notre Dame in order to thrive, but I do think it's fun when Notre Dame is this good. I'm sure this is a college football playoff national championship game that they'll turn their noses up on the respective coasts, But I don't care. I think it's going to be a lot of fun a week from Monday.
Speaker 5: I know people who just poo poo Notre Dame all the time because they still don't play in a conference and they don't play anybody, and the YadA YadA YadA. Well they've played some people now that are in conferences, and here we are at the prespice of another college football national championship.
Speaker 2: Let's flip gears here.
Speaker 5: You see, was having a pretty good college hoops season until they got into the conference play again. And now you know, here we are. We're going from a sixteenth seventeenth ranked team to can they beat anybody in the Big twelve? And today Kansas great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right exactly.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean it it was great to see the comeback against Arizona where they you know, almost got over that hump, and then then they go and play Baylor and you know what happened there and it was just like, oh, geez, is this is this last year all over again? So, I mean, what's going on with the Bearcats as they get into conference play mo just a level of play that's different.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think there's that. I think the sobering thing about Tuesday was it wasn't last year all over again, because I walked away from last season thinking, okay, you see fits in in the Big Twelve. They lost one game last year by more than nine points. They were in every game. Now, you know, there are no such things as moral victories, but in the year one of the Big Twelve, I think the objective was to fit in, and they did. They were competitive, and that to me is what made Tuesday so frustrating. It was the antithesis of what we saw last year. It was a team that wasn't competitive, and I think it was one the continuation of something that was a theme even when they were winning. This team offensively hasn't been very good. They don't have anybody right now who is creating offense, and they don't have an offense that's doing a very good job of creating scoring opportunities. But that had been the case when they were beating Dayton and when they were beating Xavier. What they had been doing was they had been playing really high end defense. The comeback against Arizona, I'm not sure offensively who you can count on or who's supposed to carry the load, but somebody's going to have to carry it today.
Speaker 2: Oh, no doubt about it.
Speaker 5: That you know rock Chalk Jayhawk is coming at you with.
Speaker 2: With both horns.
Speaker 5: So I wanted to ask too, since we are as Liam has reminded us over and over again in the middle of Snowmageddon that we're only seventy five days away from Reds opening. Have you seen anything from the ball club yet that makes you a little bit more excited for the season to begin and see what we have this year?
Speaker 11: Well, I think the most exciting thing is some pretty encouraging news about some of the players who were injured last year. Now, I don't think the front office has done all that much.
Speaker 18: To dramatically upgrade the club from what they had last season.
Speaker 11: They still don't have.
Speaker 18: A power bat in the outfield that I think we all agreed they needed to go get. They're going to go into the season with a starting staff that, for the most part, aside from the newly acquired Brady Singer, hasn't gotten through a full big league season.
Speaker 11: But let's be honest, the fortunes of the twenty twenty five Reds are going to be dictated by number one. Are they healthier than they were last year? And Number two, do players who either weren't healthy or didn't last season stay healthy and perform this season? And I think you're getting some pretty encouraging news on that front. You know, it's interesting there was no RedFest this year because they obviously are redoing the Duke Energy Center, and RedFest is typically a chance where you kind of hear from everybody and take a moment to take stock of the club. They are having their winner Caravan here in about a week, and that's typically when nearly everybody with the organization speaks on the record, and I think it's going to be interesting to hear from Nick Crawl and others. You know, are do they really believe that the club they have this year can legitimately contend? And I think you're being skeptical. I think you're being reasonable if you're skeptical that the answer is yes. And is there anything that can be done this offseason to dramatically improve the team's chances this year? I certainly think they have a chance to be okay, But I think we all look two years ago and said man in twenty twenty five, the Reds have a chance to be better than okay. That's the year that they can seriously contend. I still think there's a degree of skeptics that that's going to be the case, all right, Moe.
Speaker 5: And finally, as we get into Super wild Card weekend in the NFL, is there a give me a sleeper in both conferences NFC and AFC that people aren't thinking about as possibly you know, making it to the Super Bowl when we all have our definite ideas about who the best teams are. So so give me a sleeper in each conference to look out for.
Speaker 11: Well, I think for me that's a little bit easier to do in the NFC because it's the Green Bay Packers, and the Green Bay Packers are the best team that nobody has talked about all season long. They're obviously going to have to play on the road exclusively, but as a seven feed last year, we saw what they did against the Dallas Cowboys. Are going to play at Philadelphia, team that you know, might have the best roster in the NFL. But green Bay is really good, really balanced. The health of Jordan Love is going to be something we're paying attention to. But I like Green Bay. You know, I think in the AFC there's a big three, right there's Kansas City, there's Baltimore, and there's Buffalo, and I think most expect the team that plays in the Super Bowl to come from that trio. But if we had to pick a sleeper, I'll say the LA Chargers. A team that I think is built to go on the road, a team that I think defensively can really make life uncomfortable for some of these, you know, teams like Buffalo and Baltimore and Kansas City. A team that has a very good quarterback and a team that has a great head coach. So I'll say the Chargers.
Speaker 5: All right, fantastic, Thank you, sir, Enjoy the daughters dance recital today, and we'll see hopefully on not a snow day. I'm already sick of this and it only took me a week. All right, move, take care, all.
Speaker 2: Right, counselor, you're coming in here Saturday mid day. And I mean, let's.
Speaker 5: Start off with the terrible tragedy in California. Wildfight there that you can't prevent mother Nature, but you can predict a response because this is not unprecedented. This makes me so angry. And I don't even live there. I don't pay taxes in California. That's the other thing about California. You pay taxes every time you turn around if you live in California or do anything in California. The taxpayers approved in twenty fourteen billions of dollars for six reservoirs to be built. It's been ten years they've not built one. The fire hydrants were dry in Pacific Palisades when the firefighters came to rescue people's homes.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable.
Speaker 5: And you've got a mayor, and pursuant to that mayor, a fire chief who only cares about diversity, equity and inclusion and not about firefight. Do you heard the fire chief said when ask by someone if a woman or she as a fire chief, could draw, could could carry a big guy out of the house. And he and she said, well, if he's in the house, he's in a wrong place anyway. What the hell was that? I am actually going to play that clip, Gary Jeff. It was actually the assistant fired chief of the assistant I was astounded.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 15: It's like a fricking PSA public service announcement that they were running.
Speaker 2: They're not running it now.
Speaker 15: The amount and the level of incompetence in this thing is just staggering, and I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, and you hit the nail on the head. A great, big part of it is the obsession with DEI over doing what firefighters are supposed to do. And I'm not talking about the individual ones, their their profiles and courage, but the management, the incompetence.
Speaker 5: It's it's like our military right now, where the generals are there. He's better than that, where their generals at the top have been picked because they're DEI believers and they're they're true believers in these DEI models, and the military has suffered as a result. Anything suffers when your focus is not what your job is supposed to be. Their job is fighting fires and protecting people's homes and property and lives from wildfires which occur there all the time every year, and they're not doing their job well.
Speaker 15: Mayor Bass she left, I believe on a Friday, and she freaking knew that this stuff was coming.
Speaker 2: She knew the highway morning. Yes, yes, it already been there.
Speaker 15: She takes off for Ghana for god knows what reason. It just a blatant screw you. I don't care and then I don't know if you saw it when they got her at the airport coming back. This reporter, God love him, he just grilled and she had nothing to say, nothing to say. We're gonna play some of that, but you really gotta see it on TV to get the full gist.
Speaker 2: Like a freaking deer in the headlights.
Speaker 5: Gavin Newsom, another disaster in California as far as leadership, you know, just standing there with his with his aviators on his hands, in his back pockets.
Speaker 2: We need to be better. Well, you know what, he's got to be careful.
Speaker 15: He can't get too close to the fire because with the hairjel, it will probably burn his head.
Speaker 5: Oh there's no doubt about it. He'd be a human torch, no question. So what's on the show today, Well, in the Ramp, we're gonna talk exactly about that. Also, Gary Jeff this week, good news on the Title nine front. Tommy Tuberville, former UC football coach, he's introducing a bill to do away with men's in girls' locker rooms and men in girls sports, and it's gonna it's gonna pass the federal judge. Federal judge just blocked the Title nine that was my next thing. A Kentucky federal judge struck down the Biden administration's requirements that sexual identity can be a part of the process in Title nine.
Speaker 2: Federal judge said, no, baby, no.
Speaker 15: And I think we're on our way with this, Gary, Jeff, I think it's the tide is turning very well.
Speaker 2: One last thing I'm looking forward to this.
Speaker 15: We're going to talk to a correspondent from the National Post in Ottawa, Canada. Gonna ask him what's up with just from Trudeau getting out of there with his tail between his legs, and gonna ask this correspondent what the Canadian reaction is to Trump. I think it's tongue in cheek wanting to make Canada the fifty first states.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, believe me. Looking forward to that.
Speaker 5: I've got some Canadians in tow on Nightcaps coming up who are all ready to sign up for statehood. Okay, Saturday, midday on the way next after the show show at Huddles, see you then Bay.
Speaker 9: The snow from yesterday evening into the overnight hours is mostly gone. We'll see a few flurries throughout our Saturday, but overall it's just mostly cloudy tempters topping out in the upper twenties tonight, we stay dry with cloudy conditions. You'll be in the mid teens before you warm up to the load to mid thirties on your Sunday.
Speaker 2: From a severe weather station.
Speaker 9: I'm nine first Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harden on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: This is America. You know why I love America because of all of our sweet freedoms.
Speaker 16: Yeah, because those daisy dukes drive me wild.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: The freedom to listen to Bill Cunningham while I'm wearing my daisy dukes Bingo America.
Speaker 16: I don't wear daisy dukes, but I love listening to Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 11: You ought to give it a try.
Speaker 2: You're right I should.
Speaker 19: Can you picture Bill Cunningham wearing daisy dukes?
Speaker 32: No, no, no, no, yes, I can.
Speaker 31: Bill Cunningham Monday at twelve noon on seven hundred W l W.
Speaker 34: Hello, it's me, the designer jeans in the back of your closet.
Speaker 2: What happened to us?
Speaker 34: I used to somewhere in the Hamptons, and now I'm stuck behind a pair of sweats. Okay, maybe I never really fit you, right, but I got a lot more Sunday Fundays left in me.
Speaker 33: So take me to.
Speaker 2: Goodwill where I can really make a difference.
Speaker 6: Your donations to Goodwill create jobs, training programs, and education assistance for people in your community. To find your nearest donation center, go to Goodwill dot org Donate stuff, Create Jobs. A message from Goodwill and the AD Council playoffs.
Speaker 2: We're talking about playoffs.