Speaker 1: This is Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews podcast War What You Hear weekday afternoons on the Drive.
Speaker 2: Sean Appears is America's best selling female comedian of all time. A Platinum certified, an Emmy nominated artist, she spent nearly three decades honing her craft, combining music, humor, and Southern storytelling into her own form of family friendly entertainment. She's in a new movie called Roll with It, and it has nothing to do with the hit song roll with It? Baby?
Speaker 3: What else? Yeah, we love roll with It. I love Steve Winwood. It's the opening song. You know, it plays in there a few times. Yes, it's a big deal. It's a big deal. And Roll with It was a big deal for me. I'm just a you know, a small town girl. And the cute thing is we got to record it in my hometown in Tennessee, and it, you know, the whole town is so excited that today it's dropping, you know for streaming and DVD and all that stuff. So we're having a little party down here in the South.
Speaker 2: We love it. And you play a single mother who falls in into an unusual situation.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, I lose my house because I hadn't paid my taxes in a long time. My husband died, and I guess it just slipped under the radar. But it's really interesting. My husband and I wrote the original script many years ago, and Chris Dowling took it and updated it and directed it and did an incredible job. But my husband even wrote the part where I talked to my dead husband and now he's gone. That could be. You know, I'm not going to write you into a movie because you may not live that long. But all that to say, what a thrill and a fun thing to get to do. And it's just a good, fun family movie.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think it's something you could do besides watching the debates.
Speaker 2: Are you suggesting we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Need an alternative We're gonna need an alternative post.
Speaker 2: And it's out now, Roll with it? Is the film Love Lost Karaoke? Uh so does your character fall in love with karaoke? Oh?
Speaker 3: I've always been in love with karaoke?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: I live in Nashville, where everybody, you know, the waitress at McDonald's did sing rings around anybody, So just getting to sing, you know, it's a big deal. But yeah, I love karaoke. It's if you got nothing that didn't go to a karaoke bar and just wait for people to get drunk and sing.
Speaker 2: Yeah and belt it out. What's one of your what's one of your signature numbers?
Speaker 3: Well, I've always gone with uh with I Will survive. But I rewrote the words myself many years ago about trying to lose weight. So and I still never lost way, but the song was still funny. Everybody tries to sing Whitney Houston, and you know they shouldn't.
Speaker 2: No, it could not. If you've never sang gospel in your life, don't try to sing Whitney Houston, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Journey. Everybody thinks they can sing, but I'm like, please, please, please, you know, chickens fall over dead and dogs, yeah they sing.
Speaker 2: Terrio is terrible, and I'm more of the standards guy. I'm the one doing the Sinatra and the Bobby Darren and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you'll remember this name, but I love to sing Juice Newton's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're real, gutsy, real, you know, really heartfelt.
Speaker 2: I love those.
Speaker 3: But I it's not that I am inebriated. But I have a hard time singing anything in a bar with the fear that my mother's gonna come drag me out of there. Even at my.
Speaker 2: Juice, Newton hadn't heard that in a long time. She took the least breaking gently to a whole new level. That's it. That's when all the time.
Speaker 3: I love a good old tier jerk and song.
Speaker 2: John de Pierce, America's best selling female comedian of all time, author of autobiographies and children's book, a regular on the Grand Old Opry as well in her new movie is Roll with It, Love, Loss and Karaoke. Uh what does what? What? What? What are your some of your audience members, what are the some of the anecdotes They come up to you after you finish the show and talk to.
Speaker 3: You about you know a lot of it, and it's fun. Maybe it's just because my show is Weirdly, I get a lot of comments about, you know, women's online dating, you know problems, but lately, especially being open and honest and talking about widowhood. My favorite joke that I get to talk about is losing my husband twice because we lost the marker in the in the cemetery, so we didn't know where he was for a little while.
Speaker 1: That's the truth.
Speaker 2: Did you couldn't just.
Speaker 3: Open up people's you know, heart to just talk about you know, some of the If you can laugh about that, you're gonna be okay. You know I'm talking to widows. Yeah, I talked to widows all the time about the stupid things people say to you. And you're a widow, like the red cardinal is supposed to me, and your husband's thinking of you from heaven. Well, I don't think my husband's coming back as a bird.
Speaker 2: No fork. So when you lost them in the cemetery, when you lost them in the cemetery, did you call the cemetery and say y'all been moving them headstones around because I can't find it.
Speaker 3: I lost my husband again, and because I buried him out here on my farm, and so I knew it was like about ten feet from this tree and a little to the left, you know, of the bushes, and it's like, I don't know, so they have a big giant metal. It wound up being the best bit I have written it so long.
Speaker 2: And I did you're riding, Well, yeah, I've I haven't experienced. My mother was a widow and I was raised by a single parent as that was a widow all her life, and the things that people say does start to irk you, like he's in a far better place, really better than being right here with me.
Speaker 3: Come on, well he's better off and I want to go. Are you talking about my cookie?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Or you know?
Speaker 3: Or sex?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wealth was pretty decent if yes.
Speaker 2: Roll with It is the new movie Chonda Pears. You can hear the enthusiasm in her voice. Love Loss in karaoke and it's out now everywhere you get your your movies and what what are you on tour right now? Are you gonna be coming through town? I am I, I am.
Speaker 3: I hit it hard in September, I take this summer in the winter off or exciting, exciting things just like this. But yeah, I'll be coming through your way. And go to Shonda dot Argie or just Shonda Peers on Facebook and you can get more information than you could possibly need.
Speaker 2: It's a great laugh and a great family film. Love Lost Karaoke, Roll with It out now and Shonda Pierce is the star. Thank you for joining.
Speaker 3: Us, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven and iHeartMedia presentation