Speaker 1: This is WBZ Boston's news radio, redefining local news.
Speaker 2: Grace guys over the city of Boston, fifty five degrees. It's eleven o'clock. Good morning, I'm Nicole Davis. Here's what's happening over indebtiment, the Karen Reid retrial, the defense. It's still cross examining. Shannon Burgess is a digital forensics expert for the Commonwealth. Wbz's Emma Friedman back with us at eleven fifteen meantime. On Capitol Hill today, President Trump is spending time with Republicans trying to rally support for what he calls his big, Beautiful budget bill. This bill contains much of his agenda and really compacts it into one piece of legislation. Your CBS's Natalie brand Well in.
Speaker 3: His words, he said this morning he is the cheerleader for the Republican Party, and we know on close votes he's had to personally lobby some of these Republican members or holdouts, make phone calls, or as we're seeing today, go over there physically and talk to the GOP House conference behind closed door.
Speaker 2: Now, hardline conservatives say this bill just does not cut enough and will only add to the deficit. Democrats say it focuses more on keeping taxes low for corporations and wealthy Americans at the expense of health coverage and food assistants for working families in need. I meantime, the President is also changing his tone when it comes to former President Biden's cancer diagnosis. At first a president offering his sympathies, but now he's suggesting a cover up. Here's ABC's Nicology Antonio.
Speaker 4: President Trump called Biden's cant diagnosis sad, while appearing to cast doubt on Biden's doctors.
Speaker 5: Maybe it was the same doctor and somebody is not telling the facts.
Speaker 2: That's a big problem.
Speaker 4: Biden's team said doctors diagnosed him Friday with an aggressive form of prostate cancer after he experienced urinary symptoms, and say the cancer had spread to the bones. President Trump now suggesting without evidence that the announcement was delayed.
Speaker 2: The CDC normally does not recommend regular prostate cancer screenings from men over seventy because they say the risk generally outweighs the benefits at eleven o two. If you're feeling anxious about the state of the economy, you are not alone. Despite uncertainty involving inflation and tariffs. There are ways you can protect yourself and your cash.
Speaker 6: This is Jim Ryan. While average consumers can't control the economy, they could at least prepare for any downturn. Financial planners say the average American family should have an emergency fund of about thirty five thousand dollars to cover six months housing, utilities, food, medical care, and car payments. Psychologists say that even having two thousand dollars set aside yields a twenty one percent boost in the average consumer's sense of financial well being. Jim Ryan, ABC News.
Speaker 2: Well, it's gray out there, tell you that much, and it's really not going to get much better unfortunately for the rest of the day. We have a couple of peaks of sun here in the forecast, but honestly, the clouds are likely going to win out. And when it comes to the temperature, we're not really warming up that much more either. Most of us are in the mid to upper fifties and that is where it's going to stay for the rest of the day. Very blustery outside with a wind from the north right now at about fifteen miles an hour later on tonight, we could have a bit of drizzle later on at the low in the upper forties, and for tomorrow, breezy, cloudy, intermittent drizzle. Kind of one of those days where it's just raw and chilly and a little bit wet from time to time, a high only fifty three. Then we have a no o' Easter showing up on Thursday morning. We'll have periods of rain, very windy out there, you know how this goes. We'll have some flooding in the usual spots, could also see coastal flooding. And we have a high on Thursday, not that far from fifty right now, fifty six in Fitchburg, seeing fifty five in Amesbury, fifty six as well in Hingham, and in Boston at eleven oh five it is cloudy and fifty six.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Gas prices are down as we head into the holiday weekend. WBC's Jim McKay took a look to see if this could be a preview for the rest of the summer.
Speaker 1: One thing is for certain.
Speaker 5: Gas price is when compared to this week in twenty twenty four, are down over fifty cents a gallon on average on the Commonwealth.
Speaker 1: According to Triple A, it's awesome.
Speaker 5: Brian from Weymouth has noticed because in the summer of twenty twenty four he was hoofing at last year.
Speaker 2: I literally never used my car just because it was like a legitimate factor.
Speaker 5: There have been reports of some slow bookings heading into the summer for some New England destinations, so if you act fast, you can still get some savings. We're still saving at the pub for now, but you can bet that price we'll really begin to tick up once we cross into the summer season.
Speaker 1: Officially, honestly, I don't know. I'm not really that bothered by it, like it's unfortunate, but that's how the market works for now.
Speaker 5: Book those savings while you can in Braintree. Jim MCKAWBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: And you know, we're in college graduation season and finding the perfect gift could be a bit tricky, but wbz's James Rojas is here to help.
Speaker 1: There are different approaches to finding the best gifts for that graduating senior, like going in the super personal direction.
Speaker 7: I have a daughter that's graduating next year, so I would say maybe an necklace or a charm or something that has coordinates of where either they went to school or their home.
Speaker 1: Maybe a ticket to a destination of their choice.
Speaker 3: Because everybody's so tired of being stuck in the same place.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah. The gift could be centered around their major.
Speaker 5: I'm a nursing student, so nursing related things like steposcopes and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I would say specific to the major. To the major or at the end of the day. It can be what anybody would want. Bots and lots of money. Yeah, honestly, cash cash is a good gift at Logan James Rojas WBZ Boston Snooze Radio.
Speaker 2: The MBTA has now come to a settlement the family of a man who was killed by an MBTA Redline train. Robinson Leyland of Dorchester was dragged to death at the Broadway station in twenty twenty two. Has happened when he got his arms stuck in a door and the safety system to make sure he would have been able to get it out was broken. The family claims the tea operators did not do enough to make sure everybody was in the car before taking off, and inspectors had not been ensuring the equipment was working properly. Leyland's family now set to receive about five million dollars from the tea or documents say that cash will be split between Leyland's children and his nephew. You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Nicole Davis, w b Lee, and Boston's News Radio