Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back. For the second half of our discussion of stage Fright.
Speaker 2: We'll be picking right up where we left off, so without further ado, here's part two.
Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us. I'm Yanto and I'm Stephen.
Speaker 2: And this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the Dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheersmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens, and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea and join us for the ninth degree.
Speaker 1: When you watched this the first time and it got to the interval, and obviously you weren't sure what to expect, what were you thinking about the first half, because the first half is quite you know, a lot of it obviously is taken up by Bernie Clifton, you know, which is obviously recycled from the show. Was there any sense of like, oh, you know, I thought it was going to be all original, this is a bit weird.
Speaker 2: That yeah, If I'm honest, the first half I wasn't disappointed, but I was expecting something new and exciting. Yeah, and then it kind of wasn't, at least in the first half. Like there were sections that were knew obviously and it was still fun. But yeah, I was slightly concerned that the second half is just going to be another episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly how I felt. But luckily you kind of get the best of both worlds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess it's designed probably for, like I said earlier, people that have brought people that have never seen it, so you can give them a flavor of the actual show and then go into something new and it all still ties together and it's relevant as to why they've done it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, give someone an into the actual series and it might make someone watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because yeah, then the second half is all original. So if you were, I don't know, maybe if it's just as sad if someone left for that reason in the middle, and then true, well that's therefore for Yeah, why would you not sticking it out?
Speaker 2: I can understand people at part way through a show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I've only done that once. Would have to be supremely terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has to be something I've seen before, like i'd know what it was like, you know, a revival.
Speaker 1: Of Okay, so yeah.
Speaker 2: More so that if you left in the middle of this, you don't know what's coming up to leave, no, exactly. Yeah, like at least if you leave halfway through Oliver, you know what the ends. You might not enjoy how they did it, but you know what it's going to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never understand people that leave, especially nowadays. It costs a fortune to go exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you paid the money, you might as well. Yes, So curtain comes up on act too, and we are now watching later de la Sille Terror in the Asylum.
Speaker 2: At number nine. Get someone spent a lot of time on those big gates just to go up after literally seconds, just to go we're in a number nine honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's one of the things they do best. That's sort of brilliant, thick, classic thing. I was also getting Psychoville vibes as well. Yes, sort of run down asylum, very sort of spooky location.
Speaker 2: Very very that. Yeah, and yeah, like you said it was, it's very their style of horror, like the more sort of nineteen thirties. I guess what it is, something that kind of era of horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the music's brilliant as well. Mm hmm organ you know thunder crashes.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's very stereotypical.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love Sometimes a good stereotype is just what you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a stereotype for reasons sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if you noticed as well, but some of the some of the creepy horror music used the melody of tears of laughter but put into like a horror kind of key.
Speaker 2: Oh I like that. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very clever. So this young woman turns up at the asylum.
Speaker 2: Now this is the point where I'm going to struggle because I don't know anyone's names, and I don't think my program actually says the names. I think it just has a Yeah, it just has a list.
Speaker 1: Because I think I can tell us.
Speaker 2: So I know, we have doctor Goudron.
Speaker 1: Doctor Goudron runs the asylum, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: The lady who turns up is called Suzette.
Speaker 2: Susette all right, yes, so paint a picture. She's ditsy blonde lady.
Speaker 1: That's well, she's your typical sort of blonde in a horror film, potentially, like you know, yeah, the pretty like.
Speaker 2: I said, stereotype for a reason. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's being shown in by I guess a sort of matron or nurse or something called Crag Crag. That was it, an older.
Speaker 2: Lady, Madam Cragg, who's very o TT.
Speaker 1: I love her, I love so much.
Speaker 2: And there was a whole bit and I don't know, I was wondering if someone had forgotten a line, but they just seem to stare at each other for what feels like a minute.
Speaker 1: They do, Yeah, they get a mine as well. It's just that awkward atmosphere, isn't it. What to do next?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like eternity.
Speaker 1: And then she goes, may I take your code?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everything is so over the like how she sort of parades around and twirls and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very good. So the idea is that she has come to see doctor Goudron because she's been getting migraines. Yes, Reese appears supposedly the doctor that she wants to see.
Speaker 2: In full on like mad scientist, mad scientists, streak of white in his hair, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Love it. And there's again there's a league of gentlemen bit there that I feel it as a legal gentleman bit when she says about my migraines. Yes, he says, you're your grains, You're your grains. Very funny.
Speaker 2: It's so great wordplay.
Speaker 1: Yes, were you familiar with the Elements song? Yes, so they play that and Reese's character just starts singing it.
Speaker 2: Well, all the bottles light up around him.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you don't know the song, it's the same tune as modern Major General from Gilbert and Sullivan Pirates appends ance. I think so. It's just it's one of those Patsa songs, very wordy and yeah. I was wondering whether I should admit this on the podcast or not. But I discovered this song when I was in I think year eight. My friend showed it to me.
Speaker 2: You can name it, oh can't you?
Speaker 1: Me and my friend learned it. I don't think I could still do the whole thing, but I definitely know the first bit. There's antimony, arsennic, aluminum, selenium and hydrogen oxygen and nitrogen, unium and nickeol, neodymium, neptunium, germanium, and I am a risin uthenium, uranium.
Speaker 2: Well done, well done. I can't vouch it's correct, but.
Speaker 1: Well it is. Once it's there in your head, it's not going out.
Speaker 2: Reese is going to know it forever, having earlier every day for like six months or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then again, this is such a classic cliche joke, but it turns out that he's not actually the real doctor. He's an escape mental patient who's pretending to be.
Speaker 2: The dogs, having tried to like attack her and perform surgery on her. Yeah, yeah, not before you got the great line from her of telling him to stop because she's allergic to patter songs. Oh yes, but yeah, he gets wheeled away, screaming, almost doing He reminded me so much of the end of Zanzibar where he gets hauled away, Yes, quite similar, mm hmm by the orderly. And we get the real doctor, Gudrun Steve. It's Steve, so we've got this whole story going on of his wife has recently died, she's been beheaded in the grounds of the asylum, and then we mustn't must not ever talk about it, so immediately sus that does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gets a bit convoluted. I can't remember exactly what the plot was, but it's something to do with I believe did he kill his wife and then and she Susette witnessed it.
Speaker 2: I don't remember why. I don't remember why. Oh, because he was having an affair. Oh yeah, I think he was pretty much sleeping his way through the asylum, right, Oh god, yeah, I think she'd found out. Yes, and yeah, he killed.
Speaker 1: Her and Suzette witnessed him killing her or burying her or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she's been having her migrants ugraines.
Speaker 1: Sit yeah, because she's blotted it out, but the trauma is there and it's sort of drawn her back to this place.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and presumably with the missing head in the hat box.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's going to fix her ukraines with trephening. I'm not sure when this is meant to be said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when were they doing that then, trepanning or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I don't know when that stopped, but.
Speaker 1: I know they were doing some dodgy things in the thirties still, like maybe electro therapy and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I got the impression that it was like lobotomies early nineteen hundred's this like nineteen ten twenties maybe, yeah, I don't know. Yeah, and he's going to perform that on her, presumably to go wrong, to kill her as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, so he wants to demonstrate to her how he anesthetizes, which is basically by hypnotizing them into a trance state so that they don't feel any pain.
Speaker 2: Yes, no Spaghetti old Nase this week though, Yeah, hasn't come over from Italy yet. No.
Speaker 1: So to demonstrate he gets Reese's character Hugo back in. He's in a wheelchair, yeah, and he basically hypnotizes him into a trance and instructs him to saw his own leg off. Yes, yeah, I mean it's gruesome, but the effect is fantastic. He's obviously in some sort of trick wheelchair where his real legs are hidden, and then the fake legs are sticking out. But it looks it looks very realistic.
Speaker 2: It's very believable. I don't know what it's like right up close, but it's very believable from every where we were sitting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's done really well. It's quite gruesome.
Speaker 2: Lots of blood, the noise and noises and crunch.
Speaker 1: The soaring noise. Yeah yeah. And then then he snaps him out of the trance and all of a sudden it's ah my gage in the agony.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, crazy, it's it's gruesome. I like I preferred a little bit more blood, but I guessing they probably didn't want to cover the stage in blood, and I always want blood.
Speaker 1: There would be more blood, I know.
Speaker 2: I want to cover the stage and something that someone's going to slip on in ten minutes time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll cover the audience in blood.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's quite a quite a good section there. And I think it's around that point after that happens that somebody dressed in exactly the same uniform of the theater rushers of whichever theater you're in, enters the stage with some takeaway coffee cups and interrupts and lights go up, and turns out they're in the middle of a dress rehearsal for this play. So we're not actually watching the play. We've been watching actors doing a dress rehearsal of the play. Yes, which I love as a trope. Yes, have you seen noises Off?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's well, it's a farce, but it's the same sort of thing. You start off thinking you're watching the play, and then part way through suddenly the director comes in. Is like oh no, no, you know, realize you're watching actors.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: I love trope.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it.
Speaker 1: But also obviously they did it in Salance time as well, so yeah, it's a similar thing similar. So can I feel like that was maybe a slight slight callback, Yeah, I can see that, but I love that they went to the effort as well. Of whatever theater they told it to, they will have said, well, we need one of your usher's uniforms.
Speaker 2: Or whatever whatever she's called. I can't remember Abby, Abby. Oh god, we're going to hold an Abby and Susette. That would be amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, suse was the character's name. Now, Yeah, the actress playing Susette is Sherry Sherry, that's it, Sherry something, who is a a pop star that's been stunt caste. It says in the fake program that she's from a girl group called lip Barm Brilliant.
Speaker 2: That's so recent, Steve, And then they made the joke of a pop star in a West End show as stunt casting. No one will buy it. In a ghost shot yeah, two.
Speaker 1: Yes, and yes, Reese is playing Marcus, who is, as well as being in the show, is also the director indeed, which he's very funny in that role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he comes back with one of his trouser legs missing and starts director.
Speaker 1: And then you've got the younger guy who was the warden, and he as an actor is someone who has got a tiny part. He's only got one line, but he takes it so seriously. He's like, Oh, I'm just going to stay in character, if that's all right, And he's like, during my research, it's like, does it come across that is still struggling with his mental health.
Speaker 2: The PTSD of working in this place. He takes that home to his wife every night and bless him. Oh.
Speaker 1: Then you've got Maggie who's playing.
Speaker 2: Crag Yes chunneling her Alison's deadman.
Speaker 1: In the play within a play. She's just had acid thrown on her face, hasn't she, And so her one of her eyes is like dangling down on a optic nerve.
Speaker 2: Her gubbins.
Speaker 1: Yes, next time they're going to go for a run. She's like a gubbins or no gubbins. I love that word.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take it off because it's sleeping in my tea, my coffee.
Speaker 1: She's great, she's fantastic.
Speaker 2: She's so the Allison's deedman from Sales Time like everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I love that kind of character.
Speaker 2: It's so over the top but so believable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the same actress who played the posh lady right at the start with the daddy.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. I think the daddy is the the warden.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then Sherry was also Leanne in Bernie Clifton.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: But yeah. Then you've got Steve Is playing an actor called Vince who's playing doctor Goudron and he is he's the pompous twat for one of so how it is I will Yeah, I was thinking how can I put this? And then I was just like, yeah, twat. He's He's got a great funny moment there where he's talking to the director about Sherry's acting and he says, you can't just plump yourself center stage and proclaim all your lines out into the ether. While he's doing exactly that, saying about how she's she doesn't listen to him, and meanwhile he's completely not listening to Marcus, who's trying to speak acting is reacting very very funny, and we get this scene of the director giving notes Hm, which again as someone who has been in that position. I found this particularly funny. The different responses you get to the notes are so true. Like he gives Maggie a note he says, could we have this feeling of blah blah blah? And Maggie goes, oh, I thought I was doing that. I that all the time, Like, if you were doing that, then I wouldn't have said nothing. Yeah, yeah, And then he gives himself a note. He'e like, Marcus, Oh that's me. What have I written?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Two ticks?
Speaker 2: Practically perfect in every way.
Speaker 1: Yes. I was doing a play once and someone got stabbed in it and they were wearing a jumper and then the shirt they had on underneath had a blood stain on it so that we could take the jump off and have the blood, you know, And for some reason I wrote down I think this was during the tech or the dress. So I was in a dark auditorium trying to write notes, and I wrote down bloody shirt. And then the lights come up and I was trying. I was going through notes with the cast, and I was like, well, have I written bloody shit? That doesn't bode well, But yes, I love this. It's something they do so well, isn't it where they've set up this really tense atmosphere and then they just cut it completely.
Speaker 2: It just shatters.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's a bit of a meta moment where Reese's character is talking about the juxtaposing of comedy and horror, which obviously relates to what we're watching as well. Yeah, he says, it's what the pioneers of horror theater used to call the hot and cold shower, which is really nice. Yeah, because again that's what nit inside Number nine is all about, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh massively. Yeah, they're always joke to lull you into a false sense of security, and yeah, they are masters at that technique.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I like that.
Speaker 2: It seems like everyone accept Reese's character wants rid of, or at least these character wants rid of the sus that character that Kara remember the name.
Speaker 1: Of now Sherry. Yes, so they all basically agree that she's no good.
Speaker 2: No, but she's necessary for tickets. Yes.
Speaker 1: The director's like, oh, you know, she's nobody else has got her reach, which again is so painfully true of commercial theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw a thing recently that a couple of days ago that they said that they felt like it was hurting, Like if you don't have a famous name, then yeah, because the amount of famous names are in stuff. Anything that doesn't now, no one watches it and they just fail. It's just like something they need to get away from doing. Well.
Speaker 1: I've heard tales of people auditioning for things and being asked at the audition how many Instagram followers do you have?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, as if that's you know, relevant, elevant. Yeah, so crazy.
Speaker 2: Lip balm must be quite famous.
Speaker 1: It sounds so awful.
Speaker 2: They so came third in one series of X Factor. Yeah, series twenty seven of X Factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lip balm.
Speaker 2: You could just imagine that one of them would have that have had different shades of lip balm. Each one was magenta and.
Speaker 1: I'm rose gold. So I think if it had been like lipstick, like that's quite sexy and like, that could have been quite a but lip balm is just quite sort of like, oh, you know, to stop my lips getting chapped, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was trying to jazz it up, but yeah, probably. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then we get introduced the use of the live camera feed on a big screen.
Speaker 2: Which seems to be a big thing nowadays. Yes, I don't Have I seen anything that's used it. I don't know if I have, but I know it's it's been in a lot of stuff recently, and it's what's the guy that does it all the time. Oh, there's a certain director, isn't.
Speaker 1: There, is it Jamie Lloyd, that's the one. Yeah, they did it for e Vita where she goes to sing out out the window but the people in the theater are actually watching on the screen, which is a bit weird, like the big song to see her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then I someone it out you can just go and watch it the next day.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they comment on that as well, like there's a whole discussion about whether it's you know, whether it's appropriate for theater within the play. Yeah, and Vince and Maggie are like, oh no, it's it destroys the magic of the theater.
Speaker 2: Get Steve's great line, if you can't walk down Shafts three Avenue without bumping into some with a camera, I'm sure needs bleeping.
Speaker 1: But yes, oh yeah, yeah, did you notice the logo of the company did the camera technology?
Speaker 2: I was going to ask at the end, how many hairs you' supported?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's quite a few, aren't there.
Speaker 2: There are a few.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we get a nice, nice hair within the logo, which is nice silhouette of yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah. Then the stage starts to sort of disappear, and people keep wheeling bits of it off until I think you just left with the screen and maybe a couple of chairs. Yes, I think we skipped over a bit where they've practiced the head drilling bit. Oh yes, UZ's character and you think that she's died, and then.
Speaker 1: She's just practicing, Maggie says. She says something about, oh what are we doing here? Snuff theater another callback for us? Yep, So Sherry needs to do a self tape, to do a self tape, and then Abby from front of house has agreed to help her with it. Yeah, she's probably a better actor, and we established that in this that yeah, that Abby is. She is an actor, but she doesn't get any auditions. She's she's really struggling.
Speaker 2: Bless her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh she's so bad, isn't she. What I loved is how when she's doing her lines, she's like really acting, and then between lines she just comes out of character. Yeah, and it's like, no, no, you're meant to stay in characters. The whole time.
Speaker 2: You are this person the whole time, whether you're talking a.
Speaker 1: Lot, acting, is reacting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like someone pointed out earlier that she it's just her lines and gaps in between as far as she's concerned, exactly. We've got a camera on stage that they were using earlier is being its live feed is being broadcast at the back of the stage on the screen showing her self tape and you can sort of see into the wings a bit, at which point a sheet moves and Abby goes off to investigate. Does she disappear? I don't think she comes back, does she?
Speaker 1: I think she does disappear. I know there's a bit where they rewind the tape to just check it again, which is quite clever. I'm assuming that's actually rewinding.
Speaker 2: I assume it.
Speaker 1: It was literally just films the seconds ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that is live footage. Yeah, or if not, it's very faked, well very well. Yeah, but yeah, I think Abby disappears at that point, and Shirley Sherry Cherry I can't hold this one's name in my head, takes the camera because I think it's the only source of light that's right, yes, and goes to investigate. Now, I assume you were realized here that the theater becomes a cinema for about a minute and a half. What do you mean in that? It's just so she takes the camera.
Speaker 1: Oh so that's pre recorded, is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she bombs into it. She bombs into a curtain and it cuts to a pre record.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I don't think I assuming they use the same footage every venue, because it looks exactly like it looked in the West End.
Speaker 2: It did I wondered if the West End were I bet I assume the West End one was probably done once. That's probably actually the Windoms.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, and then they've taken that around on the tour.
Speaker 2: Well for starters, they've got to do some creepy edits in it, but also what if there isn't a sell her exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And actually I've actually performed at the theater that I saw it at, so I know what the backstage looks like, and it doesn't look like that. But yeah, it gets again. It's talk about callbacks. It's incredibly deadline. The cell section totally the end of deadline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't think I realized, Well, there's no reason why I should have done. But I don't think I realized that the windows that that wasn't live. I think I bought that it was live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it makes sense, and.
Speaker 2: Was desperately trying to remember what happened in it for when I rewatched it, thinking I wonder if this is live. It's like, no, I'm recognizing that's barrel staircase. There is bits. So yes, you get a few little jumps in there. You get bloody bell appearing and then disappearing very quickly. You get a impossible to misshair.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean something something drops from the from the lighting rig, doesn't it or something?
Speaker 2: Oh, I was going to mean, that's in the hat box.
Speaker 1: That's what that's before something drops and then she goes to the hat box.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought the thing drops that.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe it does.
Speaker 2: I think that's what makes up Yeah she she she goes to the hat box, opens it up and pulls out her hair, at which point the thing drops and that makes up the hair down and run back upstairs. Yes, success not sure what it is that drops. I want to say, is it a stunt head? I think I'm not sure. I think it's a prop of a head.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's all quite creepy at this point. Yeah, audience benefit. There's not a lot of there's no music, it's just very creepy noises. And then Sherry makes her way back to the stage picks up the whatever dropped.
Speaker 1: I think it's Ahead, must be ahead, yeah, because that should have been in the box, shouldn't it. So yes, yeah, that would makes sense. And then the ghost appears full.
Speaker 2: On center stage, arms outstretched like the ring.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and scares the living Jesus out of her and she runs away screaming.
Speaker 1: And then it turns out, in true Scooby Doo fashion, it.
Speaker 2: Was old Man Jenkins all along. Yeah, because I remember the first time watching it thinking they're holding on this ghost far too long. If it is a jump scare and it's meant to be real, aready? Yeah, but yeah, you find out that it's actually Abby in a costume.
Speaker 1: Yes. And she planned it with Marcus.
Speaker 2: To get rid of Sherry. Yes, and cause presumably calls some drama that they and spin in the in the news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get some ticket sales.
Speaker 2: Get some publicity. Yeah, right, what if she comes back, We'll do it again, Yeah, I've already rigged up her speaker in a dressing room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But then the sad thing is that Abby was led to believe that this was being done so she could go into the role. But Marcus has no intention of that.
Speaker 2: No, who else we could have?
Speaker 1: Apparently he's going to offer it to Sheridan Smith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sheridan Smith.
Speaker 1: Why not take that off? Another call back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we've got to name one of the biggest names.
Speaker 1: So what does she do? She kills him.
Speaker 2: She kills him out of the blue there and then yeah, yeah, snaps his neck and he drops the floor. Anything else after that or is that.
Speaker 1: Just I think that's essentially quote unquote the end end.
Speaker 2: Of the play. Yeah, at which point we get the cast to come on and do bowers Yes, and you'd expect or do they well? Yeah, So then we get a nice little speech from Steve how this is a plage written with Reese and it was really hard for him to continue with it because I assume in dress.
Speaker 1: Rehearsals, Yes, I think they do say that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Reese had died, He'd fallen down a trapdoor and died. At which point, if you're not close enough to realize you work out that it's not Reese on stage, it's Toby Reese's understudy.
Speaker 1: So okay, so let's say what was it like for you the first time you saw it, you know, the first.
Speaker 2: Time, first time I saw it. I mean, my eyesight's not fantastic. I don't think I realized it wasn't Reese right at the curtain call. Yeah, I mean I was reasonably close and he had on a dodgy wig, and I was like, well, that's just Reese and all of these things. He always has a dodgy wig.
Speaker 1: He's quite a good look alike of Reese.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, reasonably, I mean, he's a yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I remember watching it thinking, oh god, he looks so different, and you know, being unsure as to why. And then of course it will make sense when he starts to say, well, you know, unfortunately Rees died and we've had to use his understudy the whole time. But yeah, I mean, it's it's a funny idea.
Speaker 2: It's a weird one in that I like it, but it is a weird one that Steve is on stage in theory, like having this quite heartfelt emotional speech about his best friend whilst half of the audience is just laughing because they know what's going on, but he has to pretend like you can't hear that, and it's actually deadly serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think it is a good job though.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's an odd environment though. Yeah. So the twist of the whole thing, Reese is dead, which did you twig because I read but didn't realize it's not Reese at the start.
Speaker 1: Either, in the very very beginning. Yeah, the auditorium bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the curtain opens on Reese, but it isn't Reese, that's Toby.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He then leaves and comes back, and then it is Reese from then on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is nice. I don't think I realized that.
Speaker 2: No, it's quite obvious when you watch it the second time, when you know. But yeah, I think it's a good I mean it's not the Is it the best twist in the world, Not really, but I thought it was good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's clever. Yeah, it's a bit I don't know, it's a bit morbid. I know that they love that sort of thing anyway, They did the whole pretending to be dead thing with each other for years. Yeah, but personally I find it a bit like if it was me, I would be a bit like, Oh, that's a bit a bit creepy to do that. Yeah, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Part of me thinks that that is what they would do, though I bet they would say that if one of them died, just carry on to it. We've worked on it, and do it as like our last thing together kind of thing.
Speaker 1: But the question that I have about this whole thing is do recent Steve actually have understudies for this show?
Speaker 2: Well? I was talking about this at the stage door yesterday, think and I think our conclusion was you have to treat it like it's a gig where you're seeing I don't know, Olly Murs or whatever, and if he's ill, it's just canceled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's there's no if if they tried to do it with an understudy for either of them, this whole twist would just not work.
Speaker 2: The whole concept doesn't work. Yeah, Plus everyone's gone, like a lot of people will have gone purely to see them. I know, in a thing you don't you'd get understudies, but it just wouldn't work. I don't think it wouldn't be fair to expect someone to paid that to go and see them and not see them. Like in the same way if you go to see Jimmy Carr and he's ill, you can't just send an understudy. Yeah, you've gone to see that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They must have just like dosed themselves up on vitamins and yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I've not heard of any show as being can.
Speaker 1: No exactly because yeah, they must have done. They must have done every single one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when I went to see it in the West End, I did go to the stage door and did get my program signed. But they did make a point of saying that they weren't taking any photos. They weren't They didn't want any handshakes or hogs or anything like that.
Speaker 1: They didn't want to pass on anything.
Speaker 2: They didn't want to risk that. Yeah, which is fine, makes sense. Oh, yeah, it was nice that they did it. So, yeah, they signed my program. I went with my hair yesterday, but they didn't come out, which is a shame. Apparently they never have on the tour. Yeah, I guess it's a lot more traveling. They're more likely to pick something up, yeah, minimize it, plus it with a matinee, so they probably wouldn't have left anyway. Yeah, so, yes, that was unfortunate.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, you took your little hair. I did to try and get it signed. I tell Ben, I said, he's hoping that they'll sign his hair. Then was like, sign his hair?
Speaker 2: They made me check it in at the at the cloak room. Would let me take it into the auditorium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's where you see that. One hundred other audience members have all so brought a hair.
Speaker 2: I woundered that, but no, I was the only one, well, the only one that had got it seen and had had to had to surrender it. I did see someone mentioned like that they'd seen it at the at the Cloak room and thought that it was just a prop.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, that's quite funny. Yeah, but yes, I like with this understudy thing, how they you know, they make a joke out of the fact that it's supposedly even though we've really been watching Reese aw night. The idea is that actually we've been watching Toby, but we've all just seen Reese because we expect to see him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're sort of seeing it through Steve's eyes, who is seeing it as Reese.
Speaker 1: Yes, which explains why why they re enacted Bernie Clifton's dressing room for us, because it has that similar theme of you know, a double act and one of them's died and the other one is just seeing them there exactly. Yeah, And there's a reference to so earlier on in the first half, Reese says about jopas Squally is about as current as a Rubik's clue. Yeah, he says clue instead of cube. Yeah, and then they just brush it under the carpet and move on. And then at the end here this Steve says to Toby, Oh, there's a few lime fluffs, wasn't there Rubik's clue, which is a great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I bought it the first time. Yeah, totally that it was just a fluff.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's very clever. And obviously the fact that it was the word clue. Yeah, they're so clever.
Speaker 2: That's ballsy to say that as well. Yeah, for that to be the clue, the word clue, Yes.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So there we go. We have a big round of applause for Toby. Everyone takes their final bow and cut down. That's the end of the play. The house let's come up and yeah, so everyone, for me, when I went to see it last week, everyone just sort of sat there awkwardly, like like they didn't quite believe that could be the end. Spoilers, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: But it goes on for a long time. There's not a lot, nothing happens for a good minute or two, and people, mind, were starting to stand up, not many, but a couple of on the ends were starting to stand up and leave. But then we get Steve's mike has been left on so we can hear what he's chatting about in the durssic room.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, I think he's still on stage because you can see his silhouette of course, and then a light falls on his head. How convenient, and we love the other one. Yes, so he also dies. The curtain comes back up and essentially we're in heaven. We see Reese all in white yeah.
Speaker 2: And Wise style yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And Reese comes up to Steve, who's lying on the floor and he says to him, how, just like old times, you lying on the floor, but it tends to be dead. Steve looks him and he says, Toby goes no, it's not fucking Toby. And Steve also says, so, Ree, you know, I can't believe the twist is that you were a ghost the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that a sixth sense reference or is that just a generic Oh?
Speaker 2: I took it that it was a bit of a jab at themselves, that it's a bit unriginal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Reese does say finally ran out of ideas.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't need anymore. They've died now.
Speaker 1: No exactly, it's all done now. But it's quite quite sweet, actually quite touching when Reese says, oh, well, we've got unfinished business because you cut the song in Bonny Clifton's dressing room. Yeah, and Steve says he couldn't do it without him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really sweet, and.
Speaker 1: I mean it's it's the perfect way to.
Speaker 2: End it is I was. I Do you remember being gutted that they didn't do the song, that they weren't going to back then?
Speaker 1: No, it makes sense to actually do it right at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh yeah, this it's a perfect end.
Speaker 1: We also get a sneaky little admission from Reese once Steve has gone off stage to change that it was actually him that did the light he was aiming for Toby.
Speaker 2: And then we get a nice little rendition of tears of laughter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lovely sort of heavenly performance with the whole cast as well. Everyone comes and joins.
Speaker 2: In feathers and white hats and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the way that the song's been orchestrated and everything, like it becomes very glitzy and show stoppy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and have extended it quite a bit those new verses.
Speaker 1: One of the lyrics is come and dance with us upon cloud nine. So I guess the whole show has been on this cloud nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the nine of the episode is cloud nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When they're getting some new bad dad jokes, m hmm. I think my favorite is he bought one of those new glass fronted coffins. What's it like remains to be seen? And saying some words some words you plethora, that means a lot.
Speaker 1: And then the person who played the ghost for the Jump Scares comes on and just screams on intelligibly, and he goes, you can't even explain what that means or something of that, something.
Speaker 2: You don't know what that means to us or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, something along those lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the fact that she's still got a feather boa on and with a hair all figure like blood everywhere but filled with feathers. Yeah. Yeah, and we have a nice little chorus line type dance routine situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big finale.
Speaker 2: They all disappear off the backing backing singers and dancers, leaving the ghost like to keep them company. Before you get the last line of laughter is our memory of you and points at the audience, which is so sweet.
Speaker 1: It's like the wrapping up of the whole projects. It really is number nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beautiful, perfect ending. Yeah. I hope they're proud of it.
Speaker 2: I hope they are. They did a great job. I guess we should raise it, but I don't really.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, yeah, like I feel like we should.
Speaker 2: But feels unfair to compare it.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not an episode. Oh yeah, I think you're right. I think it would be unfair actually to try it, because it's like something that's so outside of the category of everything else. But safe to say that we both really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, yeah, we really enjoyed it. I had a great time. I'm glad I saw it, got to see it twice, and I hope that we've sort of painted a picture for people didn't get to see it. I was in the like I said, in the queue for the stage door yesterday and the woman behind me had flown from New Zealand to see it.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: I mean she'd said that that was her reason for coming, but she'd been here for like five months now, okay, so she'd made a trip around it. But that was the impetus for the trip happening.
Speaker 1: Oh fair enough.
Speaker 2: And I so wanted to say, of all the places, why did you come to the one in all? Yea, bless you. I'm going to get angry letters from the people of whole maybe I don't know if they can write, so it's okay.
Speaker 1: So we also put out on social media and asked for our listeners to let us know if they've seen Stage Right what they thought of it. And well, we were quite overwhelmed actually with the number of people that wanted to say something about it.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel really bad that we can't read out everything that's been sent in.
Speaker 2: But this podcast might already be two hours long as it.
Speaker 1: Is exactly yeah, so we'll give you a flavor. Daniel said to us that it's absolute genius. He says, I went in with my girlfriend, who is not an Inside Number nine fan and knows very little about the show. I'm an Inside number nine super fan. I think it's a reflection of how brilliant the stage show is that both of us came out of the theater praising the show endlessly. To be able to find the balance between nods and references for the fans and appealing to those who are new to Inside Number nine is incredibly difficult, but they've definitely done it.
Speaker 2: Armani says, brilliant from the very moment it starts. It's funny, clever and twisted. Everything we love about the show.
Speaker 1: Paula says that she traveled to London from the Northeast to see it at the Windhams and caught it three times in Sunderland and got tickets with the last one in Birmingham, so that is definitely dedication. She's very clever and very funny from start to finish.
Speaker 2: Tilly says, I had no idea what to expect, but knowing Stephen Reese, I was prepared for plenty of surprises and twists along the way. The live camera was such a clever touch. It freaked me and my sister out when we saw ourselves on the screen in the second row.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think we mentioned that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that was a good point.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't, but yeah, that was a very clever, clever touch and.
Speaker 2: The cut to empty theaters as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, William says Reese was sat behind us at Pizza Express before the show and we'd asked if there was a twist and he just winked at us. No way we could have predicted that.
Speaker 2: Henry says, I thought it really captured the spirit of the show. Glad Bernie Clifton's dressing Room wasn't entire play, but it's one of my favorite episodes, so I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Also got a message from Karina, who, funnily enough, when I went to see it on the tour, I posted to our story so I was there and she was actually at the same show, and she messaged me. In the interval, she says, it's a huge inside Number nine fan. It was a muss see also unique to our show when it turned into the Bobby davrou Show. Because I was on the side, I could see a bit into backstage and I could see a stage hand running on seeing Bobby wasn't doing what you were supposed to do running back and I imagine saying to Steve he hasn't hidden, help and Stela and to come back on and say, remember how I told you to hide, and he's like, oh, yeah, I forgot that bit.
Speaker 2: David's been in touch to say the intro scene had me in stitches and should be played in every theater. Yeah, totally agree.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Zach says, I laughed, I cried. The best show I've watched.
Speaker 2: Wow. Amy says I loved noticing all the little references in the scene with the two Burglars. I saw a hair on the stairs. Oh I didn't spot that, Okay, nice, and immediately gasped. I felt like I was in an episode. I also found the beginning after the theatre etiquette scene where the ushers held up the no masturbating sign a mild reference to Uncle Harvey from the Leak of Gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Yes could well be Yes and James says Stephen Reesa are at their best live. The show perfectly transfers to the stage. The screen for the second half didn't work on my first visit, so it was amazing to see not only how they quickly kept the show going, but also how different it was with the working screen.
Speaker 2: Interesting right back. I'm intrigued to know how it actually did work without the screen, like what they did do. And finally from Lottie, one of the best things I've ever seen. It felt like a magic show mixed with jaw dropping number nine.
Speaker 1: Thrill ah, amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh they were awesome guys.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I hope. I hope that was entertaining to listen to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 1: So whether you managed to see the play or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're back with the referees of ANKA Yeah, series five in a few weeks. Yeah, see you then, we shall see you then. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But for now, I think it's time to take a bow and bring the curtains down on number nine.
Speaker 2: But you never really leave the stage, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.