Speaker 1: Made destange a pace sunny sun on I haddasion my night.
Speaker 2: What's up everybody, it's me Stephanie again opening the show. Oh, it's just my voice. But guess what, I have a fantastic guest today. Kaylin's also here give you comfort of home. But I am so pleased to bring in my friend of a lot of years now.
Speaker 1: I know, I just feel like for how many it's probably been eight.
Speaker 2: Let's figure it out.
Speaker 1: What was the San Francisco show God twenty kind of when We Fell in Love nineteen?
Speaker 2: Was that in twenty nineteen or twenty seven?
Speaker 1: Now, it would have been earlier than twenty nine seventeen, Yeah, probably, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it wasn't just a year before COVID Anyways, Robin Wazinski, that's my friend and yours. She's been a guest on the show before, too to great.
Speaker 1: I don't know a palm.
Speaker 2: Yes, everybody loved her. You you you. You've talked about a lot of like personal stuff on this show.
Speaker 1: I even did a Patreon.
Speaker 2: You did a Patreon that was very personal and touched a lot of people. How's it going, Kaitlin? Where are you going? Just wandering around?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay? Sorry, I'm an amateur.
Speaker 2: We run a very loose ship here.
Speaker 1: It's nice with video games. It's beautiful in here. You guys did it.
Speaker 2: So you haven't been in the studio. Okay, so it's been at least two years since you've been on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really nice. Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: You have so much news to share, and I want to get to that news. But I just want to say hi. I'm want to say hello to our favorite people, like Rebecca a little bit. She's your friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's in my pocket right now because she's a little cute.
Speaker 2: You're golays so cute. And Kelly Brandt, She's she's gonna take you places that you want to go. Alicia Ascalante, Leslie still coughing, Aaron's a dirty Sanchez, Jennifer stet up, Sandra, it's not easy being green. Stephanie's a stinker rinker. Athena. We really love your makeup, everything about you. You're dancing all the stuff you Sean. Oh yeah, uh, Missy and Gabby saw your videos on our in our Facebook group. You guys are hilarious, right m hm. Katerina, you know you know Valerie hits it out of the Park, Polly, We Love your Pancakes, Rita is rock and Elizabeth Williamson's one hundred Children and her bassiet Nikki call Your Girl, Katie's rolling on e Kelly Lattie Dah and Dick is frolicking all right, Yeah, yeah, baby. You know what's funny is I do the editing for our classic f col shows on Thursdays.
Speaker 1: I was sening. So is that the first time you've ever listened to the podcast when you've edited it? Because you always yes. But I hate listening.
Speaker 2: I hate listen, Yeah, I do. I do hate listening, but yeah, I've gotten kind of used to it because I have to listen to shows to find old good episodes, right, And what's funny is listening to the old shouts because some of the people I'm like, oh my god, I forgot about her? Yeah, have any of Some of them are no, but some of them have just been around forever, and I'm like, wow, these people have been supporting us for like ten years.
Speaker 1: It's so loyal. I love that.
Speaker 2: I know. All Right, So you're kind of sleepy today.
Speaker 1: Yep, I am operating on about an hour and a half of sleep.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I didn't know it was that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's that's my excuse if this goes totally sideway.
Speaker 2: Okay, so why are you so tired?
Speaker 1: Okay? Do you do you want me to like start at the.
Speaker 2: Beginning, Yes, start at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Okay. So me and Wade, my husband, we are dog people. We have always had dogs, and our last set were Pumpkin and Pepper are sweet little Wire her dog sins and Pumpkin died about a year ago, and previous the previous two years to losing her were very labor intensive because she was diabetic and super sick and then got dementia, so a lot of early morning, sleepless nights, and so then you know, so by the time we said goodbye to her, like I was ready to be without a dog. And I made this proclamation like I think we're done with dogs, Like I'm good. We can travel, we don't have to have your parents' dogs that like, I'm I'm good. I've had a lifetime of dogs. I'm good.
Speaker 2: And I can attest to that because I was like, are you going to get another dog? And you were like, no, absolutely not. You sounded kind of bitchy. Yeah, you were like very stern.
Speaker 1: Yep, you told me that, so thank you.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, Okay.
Speaker 1: So then I, you know, little by little, because it's been just over a year, I start noticing, like I'm looking at a lot of dogs on Instagram, and my friend Janice came over with her little Remy, who's the sweetest, and you know, I started getting that pull.
Speaker 2: Kaki fever.
Speaker 1: But I'm not going to say anything, you know, like this when I'm keeping myself. And then Wade like walks into the room a couple of weeks ago and said, you know, when you're ready for another dog, I'm ready to And I'm like shit because I was hoping he'd be like the barrier. So anyway, it was sort of floating out into the universe. And I was in Vegas this weekend and Janice the one was said, Remy texts me from Venice and there's an adoption event and they text me a pat.
Speaker 2: So had you shared with Janice that you were maybe open to getting a dog?
Speaker 1: You know what, when they were over for Wade's birthday a couple of weeks ago, they we were talking about it. So of course she gets it in her head and she's a total pusher, you know what I mean, Like everyone should have a dog. So she's on the lookout now and so sends me this picture and I'm like, oh, and his name is Tabasco. And I would say, okay, I'm in Vegas, so text Wade and next thing I know, there's this group text and then Wade's texting me separately if you're ready. I am, and it's like okay, we're in and Janice is ecstatic and this is all happening via text. So she leaves, she had gone home, she leaves to go back to the event to try to get him, and it.
Speaker 2: So she doesn't have any connection to these people, right.
Speaker 1: I know. Janice is the kind that, now that she's met them, she does do you know. I'm sure she's introduced herself. They know we're dog now they so she's she's kind of like you in that way.
Speaker 2: Why does she go to adoption events if is she thinking about also getting another dog?
Speaker 1: She loves dogs? Okay, and they were they live in Venice, so I'm sure they were just out on a walk and you know, I'm sure part of it was circumstantial, right, And uh So she goes back and texts me and says, okay, well, you have to fill it an application, and apparently Tabasca was the most popular dog at the event, so you need to make it good. And so we start texting bullet points and she's like, oh, I'm gonna start working on your application.
Speaker 2: And when you sent me a picture of the dog, and I was like, oh, hell, yes, yeah, I know this dog is freaking cute. We'll post a picture already post.
Speaker 1: It, okay, only on my small Facebook pok okay, so you'll post it in the group. And so now the tide has like everyone knows this. It's like a human flaw. Like you're logical and rational about things until you make the decision like now I want to talk. Yeah, and there's no turning back. And I'm like literally talking about like how do we find the other people applying and like maybe docs them or like whatever needs to happen. I want this dog. And so uh went back to the hotel in Vegas and you know, we pieced together this great application and hear nothing. I told you to be funny too, and I there was a little bit of funny, okay, And then you kept texting me, have you heard anything? Have you heard any I'm like, no, it's I mean, I this was Saturday night. Then Sunday. I'm like, they probably don't work on Sunday. I flew home and literally when I walk in the door from Vegas, I get an email that says we'd like to move forward with your adoption. And I like, I start crying, and when can we FaceTime you to do like a digital home inspection or whatever. And I'm like, oh my god, I'm home right now, call me right now. And uh so it all like within an hour though. So wait, so she face times you, she face times me, and.
Speaker 2: You have to like walk into your backyard and show all the fencing exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she kind of just tells me Tabasco's history that he's been an owner surrender. The owner has the mother who was supposedly Spade and wasn't got pregnant and had at least two puppies. She was surrendered with the mom and Tabasco and Tabasco.
Speaker 2: So the owners just got rid of all the dogs.
Speaker 1: I don't know the circumstances behind it, you know what I mean, But we do know that they always lived outside. They had never been in a house. They had minimal or no human interaction. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So this poor mama dog had her babies probably outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they were pretty worried about socializing them, and they said almost immediately, the sister and the mom were, you know, all over the rescue and Tabasco took a little bit longer, but cuddly. He loves to be in your lap. He wants you to hold him. So I within an hour. The person who was fostering him was in Woodland Hills and she was at the house with our new baby yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the beginning, how did that?
Speaker 1: It was good? You know? She I always call her she because three of our last word dogs have been female. He. By the way, we're not calling him Tabasco because a three syllable dog name is too long.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we've kind and I know you have an issue with this, Stephanie, but I want you to try to accept it. We're calling him Bosco, got it, because Basco is not a name, and it could be, but we're calling them Bosco.
Speaker 2: I mean, Bosco's cute, and it's you know, I think brown dog's name Bosco is you know, it's a it's an homage to Bosco, isn't it. Wasn't it Bosco the kind of chocolate sauce you put.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know, but Bosco. Our dog is white?
Speaker 2: You have had a Bossco? Oh no, you're not our.
Speaker 1: Current Yeah he's totally white.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. So yeah, so so it doesn't make sense on several loves.
Speaker 1: One is even a Baco should be like a like a red labordoodle, right, so correct, or maybe he has.
Speaker 2: But the dog was misnamed to begin with exactly, But I'm with you. Like when we got Penelope, we were they called her Penny and Penelope, but the rescue where that took her in was calling her Pepo so we which we thought was so dorky at the time, you know, but then you're like, we we went through all these different names. We were going to call her Babbeloo, and we had different names because it was named after our favorite restaurant in Santa Monica that was where John and I kind of we had some dates there. Anyway, point being is in the end we were like, seems just mean to try to change her name completely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we sort of where we were at too, Yeah, where it has to be some form of what he's been called before.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's how we felt. We were like, well, what are we going to call her? That sounds like Penelope or Pepo? Besides, just let's just keep it.
Speaker 1: You could call her like Penelope or Pepo, which you know, we went with that. Okay, so and Bosco Bosco. And so this is interesting too in our application because we know he has a sister who's a letter mate. We've always had littermates and we've always had two dogs, so we put that we would take the sister too. But when they emailed me, it just was talking about Tabasco. So I asked the rescue about it, and she said, we never adopt littermates together because there's something called littermates syndrome, and it's where they either are aggressive with each other or they don't connect with the humans. And I thought that's kind of crazy because we've experienced both with littermates, and Wade kind of refuses to believe that that's actually a thing. But I think it's really valid, especially if a reputable rescue has made this decision, because rescues are not about like separating dogs who need to be together. Yeah, so that was interesting. So it will be the first time that we only have one dog and okay, sorry, I should have just turned my phone off. Someone was calling me. I don't. So we get him. He's a little nervous but exploring, and let's us hold him and love him. And then I swear to you, the second the sun went down, he's like agitated and just wants to be outside. And it was a rough night. He cried and howled and paced, and I finally got him to settle in our bed, and so I think that's probably where he'll be sleeping, which I also said would never happen again.
Speaker 2: But well, so when we got Penelope, they told us I don't remember what they said about where she slept, but we were like, our bed was a queen sized bed at that time, and it's sparely enough room for us, you know, And we remembered back when the kid would sleep well, Elbe would sleep in our bed. Sometimes Elbe slept in our bed when she was really little. Then was she made it to her own bed and was fine for a number for years. I feel like it's when that we had the twins. Yeah, so she was three. Right around that time I think she started she would get upset and come in our room in the middle of the night and sleep in our room, in our bed, and it was pretty awful for a few years because there was just no room because she wasn't a tiny baby. Now she's like a three year old. She's got a big body, and we were like, oh my god, this sucks. That went on for a why a long time, I want to say, like at least a year and a half or so of until she was a little bit older. And then finally one night I had to talk with her and I was like, we just don't have room in our bed for you. Oh no, this was Elbe. So this was Elbe when she was little. So when we got Penelope, we were like, we're not having a dog in our bed because it was sixty pounds.
Speaker 1: I was like, we don't have room for this.
Speaker 2: Dog in our bed. And John and I were both like, yeah, we're gonna be strong because we finally got Elbe out of the bed. Now we can't we can't be like having a sixty pound dog in our bed. So we bought her like a nice dog bed and it was right at the foot of our bed, but our bed's kind of high, so it's not like we could see her. And she wasn't, so we were and this went on for like six months. She slept in her dog bed, but she would always whine to want to come up in our bed, and we were like, nope, be strong, because we'd heard once they're in your bed, they're not out of your bed. It's like a kid, yeah, right right, So we were like no, no, no, no no. And then one day John looked at me and I looked at John and he was like, I don't know. She would just like let her up here, and I was like, yeah, let's just let her up here. Never we could never look back because she was so happy curled up with us, fell asleep and was like, couldn't have been happier. And then would always like stand by the bed and want to get up on the bed and we would be like all right, And then that was it. And then that's what made us go like, Okay, if we're moving into a new room, we're getting a king sized bed so that because this is ridiculous, because it was like having a big child. It was a third person in her bed, right, But bosc Go's little.
Speaker 1: Bosco's little. He's only ten pounds and.
Speaker 2: He'll sleep at the foot of your bed probably when he gets used to.
Speaker 1: It, and it actually doesn't really matter to me. I mean after last night and he didn't settle in until five am.
Speaker 2: So what was he doing though? Was he getting agitated and wanting to get off the bed and wanting to go outside?
Speaker 1: Yes, and then he would walk around because we have a crate, because he slept in a crate. Well, it was funny, the foster, she said, well, he sleeps in a crate, but he actually slept in my bed.
Speaker 2: The foster said that, okay.
Speaker 1: And I you know, I think he'll probably be okay sleeping anywhere once he knows he's safe and he's staying and you know, nothing bad is going to happen to him. But I so today I'm actually going to call a trainer just because I want to talk to someone and meet with someone about like, I mean, talk about attachment and how do we reassure him and you know, because I've yeah, yeah, yeah, and I think I've probably dealt with this with my other dogs. But I feel like I'm actually an adult now with a dog who can call a trainer to help me and get some guidance out what's the best way to enter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you might only need like one or two sessions, But I think that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean there is not an aggressive bone in his body. He is just the sweetest little guy. So I'm really happy, but really tired.
Speaker 2: I do think it will be a quicker adjustment with a dog than like an actual baby.
Speaker 1: I do too, Oh of course. Well, I remember when Jack was born, we had Fox terriers and they're they're a lot of dog. They're naughty and self you know, they're they don't care what you think about them. But we Wade and Hair sitting on the couch and I think I was nursing and Dotton Dasher just kind of in the living room, and Wade looks at me and he said, isn't it weird that our dogs are so much smarter than Jack at this age? She was like, they know their name, they go outside to pee. It's like Jack's not gonna know any of that. For a long time, I thought that is kind of weird. They're much more self sufficient than humans.
Speaker 2: But then they kind of top out, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, I mean, and they can't like solve math problems, even like kind of basic exact ones.
Speaker 1: They can't make their own dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, they're like they stand there by their bowl like waiting for you to do it.
Speaker 1: It's like open the refrigerator.
Speaker 2: With your pause. Use your pause.
Speaker 1: God gave you pause for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's like you can't do anything. You can't open the front door and go out for a little walk and come back.
Speaker 1: My God, you can't refill your water. God just you always play the victim.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay, listen, I'm gonna do an ad for you guys right now, and it's for something that I'm so excited about. It's called it's Factor, and we've done ads for this product before. But Factor is a meal subscription plan, but as opposed to having to make it yourself. These are Dietitian chef prepared meals, well Dietitian approved chef prepared meals. They're perfect for an active, busy lifestyle because they come fresh and fully prepared. Okay, you just pop them in the microwave, but they're not frozen. They heat in two minutes in the microwave, so you can fuel right and feel great no matter what life throws at you. And there are forty options across eight dietary preferences on the menu each week, so it's really easy to pick meals that are tailored to your goals. They have like calorie Smart, Protein Plus or Keto. So you guys got to try this. I've tried like at least six of their meals. It's all delicious. I actually gave some to LB to take to her roommates and she said they were a big hit. So that's a great thing. If you want to think about sending a box to your college kid, you know, for their room to share with their roommates. So eat smart with Factor. Get started at Factor meals dot com. Slash fcol fifty off and use code fcol fifty off to get fifty percent off your first box plus free shipping. That's code f col fifty off at Factor meals dot com. Slash fcol fifty the number fifty off to get fifty percent off plus free shipping on your first box. Also, let me tell you about this deodorant called Loomy.
Speaker 1: I've heard of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody I think has heard of it. There's they've been advertising a lot, but I'm here to tell you that it really works. My kids love it. I have noticed that they have been smelling fresher. And one that's one thing that's great about Loomy. Is it last seventy two hours? Oh yeah yeah, and it's it's healthier, especially when you're giving it to your kids. Also, it's a whole body deodorant, so you can put it in all your parts. Okay, I think you know what I'm saying. I do right now. So Loomy's Starter Pack is perfect for new customers. It comes with a solid stick deodorant, cream tube deodorant, two free products of your choice like mini body wash and deodorant wipes, and free shipping. As a special offer for our listeners, new customers get fifteen percent off all Loomy products with our exclusive code, and if you combine the fifteen percent off with the already discounted starter pack, that equals over forty percent off their starter pack. Use code f c O L for fifteen percent off your first purchase at Loomydeiodorant dot com. That's code f c O L at l U me E D E O D O R A n T dot com. Please support our show and tell them we sent you Smell fresher, stay dryer, and boost your confidence from head to toe with Loomy.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just you're really bringing me back to like the early days with Pepo and I am remembering that. Like when we first got her. First of all, she was very attached to Annie, who was the person who had the rescue, and she'd been with Annie for six weeks and she did not when we went to meet her. She had like no interest in us because she was very focused on Annie. And I was kind of freaked out about it, like, oh, I don't know, Like I don't know why you think the dog is going to be immediately see you and recognize her new owners, the people who have come to save her and give her a new life. She was like, no, thank you, I'm good where I am. I even said to Annie after we'd met her and I was starting to have a little bit of cold feet. I was like, I don't know, like, are you sure you don't want to keep her? Like she's very attached to you, And Annie was like, yeah, I can't keep her, like I got six in my house right now, Like it's I'm trying to like, no, it's going to be great, you'll see, and I'm like, I don't know. She did not want to have anything to do with anybody in our family. She just we went to this place to meet her. It was like a pet food store and they were doing the adoption event and we tried to walk her outside and all she did was cry and pull back inside because she wanted back with her with Annie.
Speaker 1: So how long did it take?
Speaker 2: So when she was like, Okay, you're getting the dog, I'm gonna just be totally honest, I was really worried. I was not feeling like, oh my god, this is our dog. I can't wait. I was like, I don't I don't know how this is going to go because she doesn't want she doesn't want a new home. She wants the home she's in right now, and I feel like I'm taking her away. So Annie had like an assistance and somebody that works with the rescue but who wasn't attached to the dog. She had her come and take Penelope to us. Oh that's a good idea, yeah, And then so she came in the house. So she wasn't crying for this woman because she didn't really know her that well. So she was pretty sweet like the first day. But I don't think that I think it took well, oh, here's what happened. She was totally fine, and she was We weren't like super attached to her though yet at this point, and I'll tell you why, because she wasn't like attached to us yet. But once she'd spent like a few nights, she started to develop a routine. And it's always so hard to figure out what your dog's routine is because at first we were taking her on a lot of walks a day because we're like, well, she's probably gonna have to go at like eleven o'clock at night, so we would take her, you know, in the morning, and then in the afternoon and then like in the evening and then late night. So that because we didn't know if she could sleep through the night.
Speaker 1: So how did she do it? Night?
Speaker 2: So this dog did sleep through the night from the get go, Oka, But she was already we think probably three or four, right what they told us she was a year, but I don't think she was a year. I think she was older. And so she went to sleep all night, So we didn't really have that, but she did get she had allergies, she had other stuff going on that was like difficult at the beginning, like some medical stuff. But anyway, I remember taking her back to go visit Annie and her being like so happy to see Annie, and it was a worried me a little bit because she was like it was like her long lot, like her mom. Like she ran at her and like jumped on her and was hugging on her. But we did it another like six months later, and she cried for us, like she would look wanted to see where we were. And I remember thinking, Oh, now she's fully our dogs, Like she doesn't want Annie anymore, she wants us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she like shifted her attachment, yes, and she.
Speaker 2: Was like so, but I mean she was attached to us well before that, but I mean at that point, I was like, oh, she doesn't even see Annie as her primary attachment at all. And she was fully like Ann. It's I think six months in is when we relented and let her sleep in the bed. And I think from then on too, she's just she's this dog is like a pack animal. Yes, but she chose me and John. And the one thing that's been hard is like she never attached to the kids.
Speaker 1: Oh that I I wonder if that's pretty typical though.
Speaker 2: Even we tried for a while to have the kids be in charge of like feeding her and being the one Nope, she doesn't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was that yesterday. Bosco fell asleep on Jack's lapp and I was at Petco getting all the gear and Wade sent me a picture like, Oh, it was just so nice because I mean we've always had dogs with Jack growing up, but in a certain way they haven't been his you know, kind of like you're saying with your kids. And now that he's twenty two and is so much more aware of like how you engage with a dog and love a dog, I feel like this will you know, be his dog too.
Speaker 2: So that's a good lead into so what is going on with Jack as your son? He has autism. You one time that you were on the show a couple times ago, you told us the whole story, and I re aired that episode, Oh wow with you telling the story of him as a little kid. But he's come a super long way. He's been to college.
Speaker 1: Yeah and back yep. Yeah. So he went to junior college for two years because he twenty twenty kid, So the world shut down his senior year, which was devastating for me and I don't think he really gave a shit because he had never graduated from high school. So he did two years of junior college completely online.
Speaker 2: Wow, So his senior year was at home.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, the last three months of his senior.
Speaker 2: Year, Okay, so he was like from March, right, and then he was So then the whole first year of junior college was home.
Speaker 1: And it ended up being the first he went both years online because junior colleges had a much harder time getting back in person just because of the cost.
Speaker 2: Okay, interesting, for some reason, I had it in my head that it was like an online school.
Speaker 1: No, it was College of the Canyons, College of coc At, College of the Canyons. And I think he made the choice really to stay in digital class is because I know there are classes he could have done on campus, and so he did go in some that second year, but it was just so convenient, you know, to be doing it online.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And then he went through the whole application process to transfer and got a lot of acceptances to a lot of good schools. Because I'm trying to think the first one, I think the first one he got was UC Davis, and you know, he was super excited and then he got San Diego State and Cal State Long Beach and Cal State North, all the Cal states. He wanted to go to his first choice, and.
Speaker 2: I think he got UCSD. You're right, yeah, so that.
Speaker 1: You were just that's right. I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Do I remember more about your child than you do?
Speaker 1: Probably? Yeah, yes you do. But he his first choice was Long Beach and it had been since before he applied, and so we went and visited. It was so weird during that time because everything was still kind of shut down in a weird way, but it wasn't. It was just hard to get tours. It was. So when we went to the campus, it was very quiet because it is, for the large part a commuter school, so it didn't have that energy that I think he envisioned. And he, you know, came and he's like, this weekend they're having an orientation at San Diego State. Can we go? And the second we walked on campus, he's like, oh, yeah, I think this is where I want to go. And he was sold from the moment he stepped on campus.
Speaker 2: So did he ever go on a tour of UCSD.
Speaker 1: No, because when he had done the tour, San Diego State and then got accepted to UCSD like a week later. I remember him coming out and saying, I just got into U see San Diego, Like wow, what are you going to do? I don't know. What do you think I should do? Like, well, like make a pro con list, like go do some research. And he came out ten minutes later he's like, I'm going to go to San Diego State. He liked that they had a football team, he liked that you know they had It was everything he had sort of envisioned college would be. Uh huh, and he took advantage of everything everyone in visions college should be. So is Elbie. Yeah, oh my. He did graduate in four years and he's back at home now. And as anyone who has twenty two year old twenty two year old kids, it's rough out there. It's it's hard to find a part time job. And it's so foreign to me because I'm a teacher. My path was so predetermined. You know, you go to college, you go and get your credential, you get a teaching job, and that's what you do. That's for your life, and that's what I wanted to do. But he has a degree in communication and there's no set path, and there's not a credential when you have a communication major. So he's you know, I'm trying to just give him space because I'm such a control freak and I want everything to be decided right now. But it's really been a test for me in like reminding myself he's twenty two. He I didn't know if he would ever talk. It's like, so let's let him figure stuff out. Because very few people knew what they were going to do with the rest of their life at twenty two years old.
Speaker 2: So right after he I feel like it was when he graduated, tell us about out the one, like he had a couple of job possibilities.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is going to be like a PSA to people, especially with male children in college. But first, let me start with the bullet list of things to tell your autistic kid who's in college that we thought everyone just knew. So his senior year, it's probably November and he calls me. He says, great news, mom, we're all renewing the least together on this house. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, And like we have to sign it by tomorrow or we're not going to get it. And he's telling me dude, we don't pay your rent after you graduate. Oh my god. Oh and it's like God, I guess that should have been like a sit down of like things. I assume he knew but didn't, right. So and then I had the conversation with him because first of all, he was living My god, it was what do you call it, like a slum word kind of house. It hid big house in the neighborhood right across the street from campus, all sorts of add on. I mean, it's basically like a slum word version of the Wrigley Mansion, No, the one who's the gun, uh, the weird mansion near San Francisco, where like there are staircases that lead nowhere and people.
Speaker 2: Are in castle now.
Speaker 1: People are yelling at the podcast at their radio right now. It'll come, it'll come to me, okay, and or someone will tell us. But it some rooms with no wind, with no windows, no less, no closets, and we're paying twelve to fifty a month, uh huh, plus utilities, plus cleaning the pool, and so it's overpriced. It's disgusting, and he's having a blast. So anyway, that conversation I had that we will not be paying your rent. So when you're looking for a job, keep that in mind. So they had a job there, and he had this very legitimate interview with a company that does basically like event planning, and it looked really interesting and I kind of vetted it and it would have been a great opportunity. He got a second interview, he didn't get the job. Then he gets this other interview and God, you're gonna have to fill in because I have, honestly, for my own protection, blocked a lot of this out. He's telling me about, Okay, I got a job offer from this new place. Like let's say they're like embedded design company or what are some totally rent right?
Speaker 2: I thought it was like an exterminator company.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that that's another one. Okay, start with that, okay, because I remember that one more vividly. Hey Mom, I have this opportunity, say okay. Opportunity has become such a trigger word for me because it's, oh my god, it's so bad. I have this opportunity for my roommate to go live in Washington for the summer and make sixty thousand dollars. I'm like, okay, can I do it to? Like? What is this.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like something with like exterminating or extermination or some I okay, look into it because it doesn't sound legit.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Okay, calls me again, Okay, I have an interview tomorrow, and say interview as we're using that term loosely, and he calls me back after the interview and says, Okay, so apparently it's not Washington State. It's Washington, d C. But I would have to start in Texas and then go to Washington, d C. And then come home. But I got all the details. Okay, so where do you live? I don't know how much do they pay you? Well, if you make your quota, of course you get like ten thousand a week. What if you don't make your quota? I don't know what's the name of the company. I don't know. That's when I would have like, what the fuck did you ask them? Because you haven't been able to answer.
Speaker 2: But I got all the details.
Speaker 1: I have all the DC MOMB totally no worries. So I hang up, just go, oh my god, it's some weird like multi level marketing thing. I honestly, all I have to put into Google is exterminating college student scam. And the company comes up and I don't remember what they're called, but basically they send these kids door to door trying to sell extermination contracts and then they sell them to like termin X. But who's going to make their quota? And it totally preys on, I think, on young men because they are really appealing to their masculinity, and because Jack is already has like their talk, I said, well, what happens if you don't make your quota? Well, I am going to make my quota because I'm not afraid of hard work. Oh and the people who don't make their quota, like they don't get what it takes to succeed. And that he's already repeating clearly.
Speaker 2: What he's been told in this listen. I'm always I'm abc always be closing.
Speaker 1: I got it, So I look. I had a little sit down with him and I said, Okay, so let's just play out worst case scenario. You don't make your quota. You live in their housing and it's eight hundred dollars a month. You have to pay for your plane ticket to Texas, you have to pay for your plane ticket to Washington. You have to pay for your plane ticket home. You would be leaving a month before your lease and you'd have to be paying me twelve hundred dollars for rent for a house you're not at right, you will end up owing money. So do you want to spend your last summer in San Diego going door to door in one hundred and twelve degree Texas heat? Or do you want to stay with your roommates in Sandy Let go and for the last time have no responsibility. And that's sold.
Speaker 2: So he went to Texas.
Speaker 1: Now he's still there?
Speaker 2: All right? Let me let me tell you this. Scaling your business requires the right expertise at the right time, and with upwork you can find specialized freelancers in marketing, development, design and more experts who are ready to help you take your business to the next level. Hire Hiring shouldn't be a hassle or a drain on your budget, so upwork is your one stop shop to find hire and pay top freelance talent. This is legit. Yeah, exactly when you're looking for great employees. And as you can see, there are a great pool of people who are ready for hard work, but you have to find them, So visit upwork dot com right now and post your job for free. That's upwork dot com. Post your job for free and connect with top talent ready to help your business grow. That's up wo rk dot com, upwork dot com. Great timing for that, yeah, exactly, So what was the other? Then there was another one though too, that was another sales.
Speaker 1: Thing, another sales thing, and they all they get themselves onto these college apps. I forget what they're called, but there's one specific one where kids look for jobs who are in or graduating from college or trying to get an internship. And again he goes into the office for an interview and his Spidey sense is kind of going off because the sign on the door is different than the signs in the office. Yes, and they can't really articulate like what he would be doing, but it's basically they work with like Spectrum or T Mobile and it has something to do with selling Wi Fi or different contracts. So again just screaming in my mind, this is some weird like multi level marketing or you're basically using these kids essentially as cheap labor. Yes, and again going door to door, it's like who it's that's just torture. So thankfully I remember, I'm always somewhere weird. When these phone calls happened. I was in Nashville last year on my girls trip, and so I had this late night long conversation with him where he and I are looking at Reddit pages together trying to figure out what this is. And he said, well, then should I not go on the interview or should I not go to sign the papers? What do you think? Because by now he's skeptical too, and he's doing some research. And I said, look, go in if you want, but you you have no commitment to them just because they've quote unquote hired you. So he goes in and there are like three other people they're also signing a contract. And he realizes now that one of the guys was a plant because they're talking about like, okay, so you are going to work six days a week, and a lot of us like we're just such good friends, like we all live together. Oh no, and like they're asking Jack, like what are you interested in? And he said, well, I've you know, I've started working out. Oh, we all work out together. We have a gym that we go to together, and I actually have like a D and D campaign. Oh my god, so do we we have our own D and D campaign everything, he says, So it's a total cult.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: The guy who he now thinks is a plant is signing his contract and he's saying, I am just so excited to have a job where I'm gonna have to work so hard and not be bored. Oh my god. It was so bizarre, and I, you know, he signed something, I'm like, it doesn't matter you you don't have to go in. So again, it was basically a cult, door to door, bizarre kind of thing.
Speaker 2: But I remember with this one, you were like, I don't want to be this negative because I think this happened after the exterminating thing, and you're like, I can't tell him with each thing, like, no, you can't do that. It's you know, so you were waiting for him to kind of decide for himself, and then he did.
Speaker 1: And he did, and I think that was the phone call in Nashville when he's like, holy shit, mom, you were right. And they do this thing where these companies changed their name every six months, so when you go to Google them or check the Better Business Bureau, right they've changed their name. So there's like there's zero digital footprint about like what there actually doing. And I'm sure people listening have had experience with these companies because I have a feeling they just pray on college kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to be careful always. Remember when I got that job for that psychiatrist.
Speaker 1: Or podcast thing or it was, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was it was a podcast, but I was doing a radio show. But it sounded it was recommended. It was recommended by a friend of a friend. It was actually somebody who knows Julie Caseum. So it seemed on the level at first, you know, so I didn't have any reason to really question it, and I was like, oh, okay, And then I interviewed with the guy. Yeah, I interviewed and I was all excited. And then I was going to be producing episodes for this radio show. And then it was I was going to so it was I might have had to drive to San Clemente. Well, first I was going to have to go just to ABC, which is not that far like Culver City. Then I was going to have to drive to San Clemente. But the problem was that the day before I had already produced the first episode. I'd already with you know, I hadn't gone in I'd already done all the research and like found an interview for it. Blah blah blah. And then the night before I googled the guy and I googled the company and it came up with that there had been an FBI raid on the company and all this stuff. And then remember at the time, doctor Drew wasn't crazy. I called doctor Drew and I was like, holy shit, this psychiatrist.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it a rehab kind of it was a rehab facility.
Speaker 2: It was a company that owns rehabs. And they've been called Sovereign Health. They'd been they've been these news stories. They'd been raided by the FBI. And the doctor that I was, the doctor that I was going to work for, was no longer a doctor because he'd been stripped of his medical license and he'd gone to school to like not an actual real school, like one of these weird like I'm not saying, an online degree, but something that it wasn't really like.
Speaker 1: Did he go to the same medical school as you? Pretty much?
Speaker 2: But not only that, but that had been taken away, so he was so he couldn't legally call himself a doctor.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then I was like what do I do? And doctor Drew's like, well, you know what this happens sometimes, like psychiatrists are really there, tend to be victims of like people come after them and especially rehabs. Like he was on that guy's side, okay, I mean, I don't want to say he was like no, I know that guy. He's totally on the level. He's like I would go in, do the job, and then like keep an eye out, see what's going on. So I did. I ended up going in because it was the next day. I would have had to leave the guy totally high and dry. So I went in and then I was like, wow, like he's not saying that, he's not constantly saying he's a psychiatrist. He's skirting around it, and he doesn't seem like. I gave it the benefit of the doubt for a while, until I finally realized this guy has like a vendette. He's just trying to get money from these health insurance companies. His main thing was like he was very mad that these people weren't reimbursing him because he was being accused of fraud. And when it became really clear to me that it probably was fraud, and then he wasn't paying people at his company.
Speaker 1: And then paying you.
Speaker 2: Oh eventually yeah, well he paid me a check that bounced and then the funds were frozen. Yes, so that all happened. But also I ended up looking up the company, which I hadn't done in the first place, on glassdoor dot com and it was just one star. It was so many people being this guys a fraud, and I was like, wow, now I feel stupid, Yeah, because I did it for like six months.
Speaker 1: You live and learn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So what is Jack up to right now?
Speaker 1: He's he works part time at DIY, which is just like a little home improvement store, and he's a cashier and does all the stuff, and he's very into EDM as you are very familiar with with her daughter. He would love to be a DJ, so he's often on his board and producing his music. And so this is really deeply where my own voice has to keep repeating, give him space, give him time, because I of course sink back to my childhood and if I had told my father, yeah, dad, you know, this whole teaching thing just not really my jam. But I really think I want to produce music, and my dad no that's it. Just it's so character to everything I was raised with that, and I realized I was raised in a very strict it was a great household, but like we had a path, man like, none of us deviated from it. So I have to let my kid deviate from the path that I have set for him and let him figure it out.
Speaker 2: And is it hard? Like I wonder, do you make do you do? You leave a lot of room for the fact that he has autism?
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, and so.
Speaker 2: You have different like expectations, not different expectations.
Speaker 1: But I have a real awareness that his path to from A to B may look very different than someone without autism. I'm really confident he'll get to a point B, but it's there might be zigzags in it and learning things along the way. And I again, it's as much a lesson for me as it is for him in just giving people space to do what they need to do and learn what they need to learn.
Speaker 2: But it's hard, right because you feel like, oh, my gosh, should I be supporting because I don't know? I have that. I wonder obviously, what will happen with LB when she graduates college, Like I'm going to have the same thing. She's going to be like, Okay, she's not going to want to move home, right, She's not going to be able to afford an apartment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I don't know's it's my own path as much as it is his. Like I'm doing a lot of work right now on how I perceive things and respond to things and react to things, because you can be supportive of someone whose dream you don't necessarily agree with. And we actually have a lot of friends with kids his age who don't want to get a part time job if they're if they want to be musicians, they just want to work on their music. And Jack is, you know, well, because we won't pay for stuff for him, he has to work, and I think he likes having that responsibility. And so I give him a lot of credit for that too, because I don't know what I would do if he didn't want to work or struggled with working. I don't I would probably just support him like I'm supporting him now, and I you know, you just never know how you're going to react, and so that happens to you.
Speaker 2: I just don't know that like just being like cool cool, just hang out and like it teaches much responsibility.
Speaker 1: And he's worked since he was sixteen, you know, since the moment he could work, and so he he likes that and he's saving his money. And you know, but we live in California. We live in southern California, so rent of a studio apartment would be more than our mortgages because you've lived in our house for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, these kids would have to they'd have to have roommates, Like they're gonna have to like live like three or four in an apartment.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, oh boy.
Speaker 2: All right, well this was I'm so glad you came me too, so fun. It wasn't born to me. You're so you're on spring break, so we got you on your one. So in the past, the reason Robin was on more frequently was because you only worked a few days a week. But for the past few years you've been in full time. Yeah, so I can only get her when she's got time off of school. But before we go, let's say, let's give our shout outs to our people that pay us fifty dollars a month, like Krista Stroup is giving it to her friend Sarah, who lost her son to suicide. Just so sad, and she's trying to break the stigma surrounding suicide and fill in the gaps in her commute unity in Ohio where mental health needs aren't being met. So go to Chase Hayleyproject dot com. Also, it's getting that time. Use the Better Test Prep Act Guide. That's our friend Lorie Bishop's son made it. It's a digital download including in depth guides for each section of the Act and you can go to Instagram Better dot Test dot Prep to check that out, and I'm sure there'll be a link there. Also, my friend has a Medium column called Unbecoming Stories, So if you go to Medium dot com look up Unbecoming Stories and you will not be disappointed. Also, The Family Skeptical it's a podcast about raising kids without religion, so check them out. They put out an episode once every three weeks, so it's not gonna take up too much room on your queue. If you're in Palm Springs or Palm Desert, go to Wilma and Freeda. Everybody loves it there. If you want a mousepat or a mug or a cool T shirt with whatever you want on it, use just Basicbecky dot com or basic Becky on Facebook. If you're in Hawaii and you're on the island of Kawaii, you can visit in person Sugar Skull, But even if you're not there, you can check out their bakery and gift shop online if you go to Sugar Skull eight oh eight dot square dot site. Also, if you're planning a trip, why not use waves and wonder travel. That's our friend Christine B. And her instagram is Travel with Christine B.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 2: Our friend Sergio is highlighting the ASPCI to help ASPCA obviously to help animals, and we talked a lot about doggies today and ASPCA does so much good work. So go to ASPCA dot org. And my friend and yours Jacob Crowley, is using his shout out for the ACLU, and our friend Carrie Kibbler is using hers for the Human Rights Campaign. These people are doing the Lord's work right now with everything that's going on in the world. And then every episode we talk about Adam Lerner Adam's goot a Car dot com.
Speaker 1: I drove my car here, I am in love with that car.
Speaker 2: Oh my God. And he made it really simple.
Speaker 1: Right beyond it was ridiculous and saved you money. Yes, And it was really funny because you could tell they were like, oh, there's a broker, you know what I mean. It's because it saves me money and not them. Yes.
Speaker 2: Nice. And of course our friend Laura Wingfield is giving promo to her friend Oscar's Queer Youth Resource in Vancouver, Washington. They've lost a lot of resources they could use help, so go to qy RC Vancouver, WA dot org.
Speaker 1: Can I do a shout out for the rescue?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, of course.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna start paying for one for a couple months. It's called Popculture Rescue dot com dot org like pop culture, but.
Speaker 2: Oh pop culture.
Speaker 1: And they've been amazing. He's already neutered, he's already chipped, he's already you know. They're just caring and amazing. They've already checked in with me several times.
Speaker 2: Yeayeah.
Speaker 1: I love it And I want advice from people after they listen to this on everything we've talked about, So please post on the page.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody think you, Thank you, Caylin, thank you, Robin Wazinski. You're a parent.
Speaker 1: Now it's good