Speaker 1: Sitting on the River Thames in Surrey near Sunbury Lock is Donkey Island, only accessible by a single footbridge. It's a favorite retreat for anglers. Among them forty eight year old Scott Wilkinson.
Speaker 2: Scott Wilkinson was a family man. He had been a truck driver but had had to give that up byly for health reasons. Spent a lot of his time fishing on the River Thames. He'd stay on the island every so often. I think it was a kind of a regular thing for him to go down and fish there and would kind of camp overnight, maybe a day or two. He's actually quite isolated there. Certainly were at a time a few sort of derelict buildings on the island as well. Otherwise it's just kind of overgrown to view trees, bushes, that kind of thing. Scott was engaged to Lisa Lane and she would bring him some food things like that, and a number of friends who you know, came and visited him while he was fishing, and it was just a sort of quiet place to go and fish and enjoy his hobby.
Speaker 1: But one July morning, during one of his camping trips to the island, Scott's fiancee arrived to find him missing in his campsite in disarray. She immediately called the police.
Speaker 3: When they arrived.
Speaker 4: There was blood, there was tense There was various items of a fishing missing as well, including a knife. He was chaosic, who had been turned over, Everything had been thrown everywhere.
Speaker 1: Locals also told police about a disturbance late the previous night.
Speaker 2: Witnesses living on the other side of the river reported hearing ten to fifteen seconds of shouting from the island and that was.
Speaker 1: It, with no sign of scard at the campsite. Police turn their attention to the Thames.
Speaker 5: Through attempts. Is as dangerous as to any other river in the country or in the world for that matter.
Speaker 2: Obviously, you have.
Speaker 5: The tidal section, the lower parts going through the central of London, which can be quite dangerous because you get very strong flows. But even in the non tidal parts, such as the area around Donkey Island, the flow is still very dangerous.
Speaker 3: It has eddies, it has.
Speaker 5: Wells, it's very easy to get caught up in those, and in particular where we have these weirs which bypass the locks, those weirs can be absolutely lethal. The locks themselves and the mechanisms of the locks can suck a body in as well, so it's a hazardous area for a body in the water.
Speaker 2: On average, thirty bodies a year are found in the River Thames.
Speaker 5: The majority of those, sadly, are due to suicide. Some will be due to summers getting out of their depths or getting into trouble, particularly colder weather during the winter, and some are murder victims.
Speaker 1: Fearing the worst, police called in expert teams to search the waters around the island.
Speaker 6: This particular area is part of the non tidal Thames. This means that the natural flow of the water is only going one way and that never changes. This makes it easier when working out what search patterns to use. If a body is being placed into the water and it's drifting, it's only actually going to flow in one direction, so you're working in that direction.
Speaker 1: A lack of rainfall that month also improved their chances of finding a body closer to where it might have gone into the water.
Speaker 5: July twenty sixteen saw a period of drought resilutely low rainfall, which means that the flow rates at that period would have been a little lower than one might normally expect which means that the body wouldn't have traveled very far. If you add to that, the chances are being caught up on branches, on obstructions in the water, piers, moored boats and things, and actually the chances are the body wouldn't have gone very far atall.
Speaker 1: That same afternoon, emergency teams searching the area made a discovery not far from the banks of the island.
Speaker 6: They noticed that his rather than tackle box were actually floating just nearby to where the campsite was, and very shortly after the search commenced, a body was located quite close by at the edge of the river. Even though it was midsummer and the water temperatures would have been warm, because you're only talking a matter of hours, it would have been not enough to sort of enhance decomposition in any way, and so the body would have been in very good condition.
Speaker 1: It was identified as missing fishermen Scott Wilkinson. From evidence both on his body and the island itself. Police suspected he'd been the victim of a frenzied attack.
Speaker 6: There was a large amount of blood in his tent or near his tent.
Speaker 4: They believed if they were defensive wounds on the forearms. Mister Wilkinson always had a knife with him. The police believed that mister Wilkinson's injuries through his forearms were caused by the knife.
Speaker 1: And although the body was found in the water, pathologists were keeping an open mind about the cause of death.
Speaker 7: We don't just jump in and think body in the river, it must be drowning. Everything is looked at, everything is examined. We also know with Scott Wilkinson that he had a pacemaking, so he has some natural heart disease going on as well. So that all of these possibilities that would have been examined considered, and then the final conclusions reached.
Speaker 1: Police launched an investigation. Forensic search teams were deployed on land and water. Their task to find evidence.
Speaker 4: We are the underwater search team that covers the southeast at the time, and we were mobilized and we were there probably within the hour, on scene and ready to be briefed.
Speaker 3: By the senior investigating officer.
Speaker 4: Crime scene investigators moved in search of bloods, etc.
Speaker 3: Took DNA and it went on from there.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the press speculated that this was a killing.
Speaker 2: I think it was pretty clear early on that this was a murder. Just the scale of the investigation, you had police divers cordoned off the area and for longer than they usually would in cases like this. And then, as we learned later, the condition in which the body was found, the injuries he'd sustained, and the chaos at his campsite a pretty clearly indicated that he'd been murdered.
Speaker 1: But who might have had reason to kill Scott? Police could find no obvious motive, suspect or even murder weapon.
Speaker 2: There seemed to be a lot of uncertainty about what had happened exactly to him. There is always shocked when somebody's killed, and he didn't seem like the sort of person he would be murdered.
Speaker 1: Police in Surrey are investigating after the body of fishermen Scott Wilkinson was found hidden among reeds on the shore of Donkey Island in the River Thames. Police launched an underwater search, believing vital evidence linked to the attack could have been disposed of in the river.
Speaker 4: The briefing was initially we were searching for evidence that was missing. There was a large knife that was missing. Whether it was a murder weapon or not, it was just a large knife because mister Wilkinson had quite vast injuries, including cuts to his forearms. Mister Wilkinson always had a knife with him. He would cut bait up and everything that was part of his standard fishing equipment. And there was electric drill missing because what he had actually done is drilled a tree stump with a drill with electric drill, and in that he put his rod rests and we couldn't find no sign of that.
Speaker 1: First, the dive team had to work out where to start.
Speaker 4: I remember walking around with saying, this is the most likely areas. Have to put your mind into the killer's mind. My view was that if they're going to get rid of a knife, if it was going to come out of the camping area where mister Wilkinson was camped, they're very likely to run out and throw it into the water where the boats go by, and that's one of my key focuses. We didn't need to put the equipment on the island because we chose to dive from the outside the pub.
Speaker 3: It was better for us.
Speaker 4: There's not covered in lots of undergrowth, so we could actually comfortably set our equipment up on the river bank and the other thing what you've got to think about is when you're doing this sort of search operation, you've got to have scene guard on because if you're there for two or three days, could the perpetrators come back and retrieve the evidence.
Speaker 1: But that wasn't the only danger Peter and his team faced.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of hazards in the towmins, particularly at this level where we have some huge marinas. A lot of people have their small pleasure boats in this area. This is during July, when everyone's out in the water.
Speaker 4: It's very difficult to stop marine traffic going up and down on a really busy day, so each time a vessel went by, we'd have to pull the diver out. If you imagine being on the bottom, we're on a safety line. When they propeller caught our line, it could drag him to his death.
Speaker 1: With the hazards assess, Peter was ready to start the dive.
Speaker 4: And now the pressure is on me now to find this evidence.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, on the island, a full scale fingertip search was underway.
Speaker 4: They are looking for any blood spatter because the injuries to mister Wilkinson were substantial. You've got the tent, you've got clothing, you've got everything else. Anything mister Wilkinson or the other people touched. They want their prints, they want their DNA down to a cigarette butt. You know, at the end of the day, if someone's been smoking a cigarette and they've thrown it down, their DNA.
Speaker 3: Is going to be all over it.
Speaker 4: So it's vital that every single piece of evidence is looked at, and that is a slow process on anything.
Speaker 2: So they found a toothbrush and cans cigarette butts on the ground near were Scott had been camping.
Speaker 1: DNA from the items revealed Scott hadn't been alone on the island. Three other people were camping there too.
Speaker 7: The DNA evidence linking the three people is really very strong. The toothbrush, a beer can, or a ring pool can all contain sufficient material for a DNA match to be made, and so that evidence puts those people.
Speaker 3: At the scene.
Speaker 7: Doesn't say they were involved, but it puts them at the scene of the incident.
Speaker 1: The forensic results were matched with a national DNA database, giving police three names.
Speaker 2: The three suspects were already known to the police. Some of them had had minor convictions, nothing terribly serious, but they were known and one of them was a missing person, having absconded from his care home in the North. Lenny Crawt was sixteen at the time. He had grown up in car one of seven children. He had some learning difficulties. He'd fathered a child already. I believe at the age of fifteen he had been living in care in Blackpool and had run away from his home to return to his family. Shane Crowt was Lenny's older brother. He was seventeen at the time. He was a tall, fairly muscular lad, almost kind of placid, and was seen by people who as the ringleader of that group.
Speaker 1: The third person was twenty one year old Charlie Smith.
Speaker 2: Charlie Smith was Shane and Lenny's cousin. He was a little bit older at the time, but he was twenty one. The three boys did not have the best start in life. Shane and Lenny, like the siblings, grew up in care due to concerns about parental neglect. So yeah, they'd all kind of had tough, tough childhoods.
Speaker 8: I think what that speaks to is a pretty unstable upbringing, a lot of perhaps chaos in the family, lack of ability to care for these boys, and also perhaps an increasing number of behavior problems and criminal activity as they grew up. What can happen in homes where you don't have a lot of supervision or there's a lot of chaos or dysfunction, is you oftenhimes have the siblings really bond together and almost become like a unit. There's a tremendous amount of loyalty between them.
Speaker 2: The boys were on the island because they were hiding. Essentially, Lenny had absconded from his facility. They didn't want the police to find him. He was a missing person, so he and his brother and his cousin went to camp on Donkey Island and they did some fishing while they were there, but mainly it was to hide from the police.
Speaker 1: At the island, police diver Peter Folding and his team had started the painstaking task of searching for evidence on the riverbed. It was a fifty foot stretch across the Thames from the pub on one side to the island on the other.
Speaker 4: So now it's a job of we've got a line across the river and the job is to then swim the line slowly, methodically, and you're feeling around. There was very very small growing reeds on the bottom, but not enough to make our life difficult. So I had forensic gloves on, and often what I do if the water's dark. What most about diving is I close my eyes, so I immerse myself into the scene and I just literally swim along the line extremely slowly. If you're looking for a body, you can move quickly. If you're looking for evidence, it's a very very slow operation.
Speaker 1: And in this case, Peter couldn't use the traditional method of tread searching on the riverbed.
Speaker 4: The trouble is with tread search is when you walk in to do a tread with your feet, if you're looking for a knife, it's slightly to be pushed into the mud and never be found again. You've got to have hands on. And even when we're diving, we're actually laying on the water, floating just off the bottom, and we can feel around so we don't miss anything. So I'm swimming along and I'm feeling around very very slowly and moving forward slowly, and suddenly I felt a handle and I opened my eyes and then I could just sort of see something glistening, and I'm being very careful, and I could feel the blade, feel the end, and I'm going running my finger just to confirm it's a knife. It wasn't in the middle of the river. He was actually towards the bank. And then I'm asking for assistance to pull me in slowly because what I don't want to do is take the hands off this blade, because I can't risk losing it. It was rather like a kitchen devil knife, and it was I would say, a carving knife.
Speaker 3: What you would meet.
Speaker 4: With stainless steel blade, black plastic hand or.
Speaker 3: An evil looking weapon.
Speaker 4: Actually like bring my arm out the water and it's like a scaliber coming out the water.
Speaker 3: With his knife.
Speaker 4: The trouble is with any water, it's going to potentially wash evidence away. So what we would do as the knife comes out, he gets put in a tube, an evidence tube. It gets sealed up and then that gets labeled and then whisked off to the lab for the experts the other end, and that where you reduce cross contamination.
Speaker 3: Never found the drill.
Speaker 4: The key was the knife because they thought that the knife created.
Speaker 3: The wounds on the forearms.
Speaker 4: And it was a great feeling knowing that now the police have got that fight le evidence and potentially they're going to get a conviction.
Speaker 3: Out of this.
Speaker 1: Police in Surrey, England, strongly believe a knife found by expert divers in the River Thames is linked to the death of fishermen Scott Wilkinson. The knife is sent to the lab for forensic testing, but when the results come back it's bad news.
Speaker 4: Eventually it was found to have no DNA of bloods on it because it got washed off in the river. But that knife. Someone had thrown that knife into that water.
Speaker 1: It was a major setback for the investigation. The water had destroyed any remaining evidence. But by now the post mortem had revealed more detail about how House God had died and it wasn't the knife wounds that had killed him.
Speaker 7: The wounds were interesting. They show the type of weapon used. He had extensive blunt false trauma to his body.
Speaker 3: Centered around the head.
Speaker 7: There were multiple deep lacerations, some of them running parallel and were phrase we used to describe those as tramline bruises, which shows that an object a linear object has been used to cause them. When someone is being attacked, they will often raise their arm and receive blows to the outer aspect the little finger sides of the arms, as they've raised them to defend themselves, and they were present, showing that Scott was alive at the start of this incident.
Speaker 3: But there were also.
Speaker 7: Other blows fracturing his ribs and bruising the upper parts of his body, so this was a sustained beating with a blunt object of some sort. The crucial bit about the course of death here is the fracturing of the skull and the damage to the brain. Underlying that, injuries to the head are the most important thing that would have been identified and immediately triggered a proper homicide investigation.
Speaker 1: Scott's death was now confirmed as a murderer, news that shucked this usually quiet Surrey community.
Speaker 2: I think people are always surprised when they see I see headlines about people being killed there, not that many people get murdered in sorry.
Speaker 1: Thankfully police redoubled their efforts to find the actual murder weapon, but it would be no easy task.
Speaker 7: Blunt trauma can be caused by anything that is hard and firm. A brick, a plank, a punch all caused blunt trauma, which has very similar features on the body, unless the particular weapon sheds slivers of wood, say, or fragments of metal or a fingernail. It's very difficult to determine exactly what caused it.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, despite an extensive search on the river and island, the murder weapon could not be found. It was given up for lust in the river's flow.
Speaker 6: With any murder scene, you're keeping your options completely wid open when you're searching, and in this case there was mentioned of a possible murder weapon being a plank of wood. They could have thrown it into the middle where there might well have been a stronger current. Who does tend to float, It could have been carried quite a long way in a short length of time.
Speaker 1: With no murder weapon and just DNA evidence from the campsite to go on. Police brought the three suspects in for questioning, brother Shane and Lenny Krott, and their cousin Charlie Smith.
Speaker 2: And they were arrested really within a couple of days of Scott's body being found.
Speaker 1: At the police station, the three were interviewed separately, and also.
Speaker 2: It has been video recorded, so you've got the cameras in the corners to soundproof room. All three boys gave no comments answers to questions from.
Speaker 9: Six o'clock in the evening onwards last Wednesday, the twenty seventh of July, tell me where you were shamed?
Speaker 2: No comment, Lenny, were you in also upon tens on Wednesday the twenty seventh of July. No comment.
Speaker 8: When you look at the interview tapes, you just see this recurring theme of no comment, no comment, no cormet, no cormet.
Speaker 3: Have you been there since that time?
Speaker 2: What was your location? No comment?
Speaker 8: And I think that's just a very clear example, visual example of the loyalty that these three feel towards each other.
Speaker 9: I want to talk about the weapon that was used to assault and kill and murder. Scott, describe that weapon to me.
Speaker 8: All three of these offenders continue to say no comment, no matter the evidence presented to them.
Speaker 2: We believe that you were at the audience with at least two other people, Shane Cruel and of Charlie Smith.
Speaker 3: No comment.
Speaker 8: It starts making sense in a way because in their minds we are in the presence of enemies. I also think it may have a practical reason as well. The worst thing you can do is in stitching on your loved one. We know that when individuals are incarcerated, if you have told on a fellow offender. If you've told on somebody in your family, there can be practical consequences for that as well.
Speaker 1: Then, in a written statement, Charlie suddenly broke silence.
Speaker 8: He essentially threw his attorney, makes a statement that he had nothing to do with violence, that he had talked to Scott Wilkinson. They had come back to the island in their tents, and these three tents set up and they had been kind of turned over and they were in disarray. Their equipment was missing. Scott told them that he had no idea what had happened. He'd been sleeping, but he actually helped the boys locate and find their equipment and made a comment about what a nice guy that Scott Wilkinson was, but absolutely denied that there had been any violence at the time and that they all just kind of left amicably.
Speaker 2: After this point, Charlie Smith had claimed that a group of travelers had appeared and suggested that it might be them who had killed Scott. There was no such group and there was no evidence for that.
Speaker 1: Without solid proof, police had no choice but to let the three suspects go.
Speaker 2: They were released because it was still very early in the investigation, and while the police seemed sure that it was them, they still needed time to build up a watertight case against them.
Speaker 1: Next, police focused on gathering video evidence from the area.
Speaker 2: After the three boys were released, the police continued their investigation looking at CCTV trying to establish who had been on the island. And when there is a from the towpath to Donkey Island, it's the only way on or off the island and it's covered by CCTV, and that was the bridge that Elisa Lane would have used to visit Scott, so it was quite easy for the police to see who had gone on to the island, who had come off the island, and when they'd done that. So they spent hours and hours looking through CCTV to establish the three boys were the only other people on the island.
Speaker 1: CCTV from the bridge showed the group leaving the island at eleven twenty two pm on the night Scott went missing, but crucial evidence from Scott's heart rate monitor suggested he was attacked four minutes before that, when the three suspects were still present.
Speaker 7: There's an inn at about eleven eighteen on that night where his heart monitor shows a sudden increase in heart rate of the type that could be associated with fear and the release of adrenaline causing the heart rate to surge up, and that strongly suggests, together with some other evidence of shouting and a noise at about that time, that that was the time that Scott was attacked.
Speaker 1: The heart rate monitor also showed that Scott did not die immediately.
Speaker 2: The heart rate monitor showed that he was alive for a couple of hours after the attack and then at two twenty seven am we called a cardiac arrest when he died.
Speaker 7: Injuries are very commonly not immediately fatal. There takes time for the brain changes to occur and actually to cause death.
Speaker 2: The heart rate monitor allowed them to narrow down when exactly the attack happened because they have the spike in his heart rate, and then combined with CCTV evidence that showed that the boys were still on the island and he left the island very shortly after that time, gave them a stronger case against them.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't until two years later, when a final piece of evidence landed on the investigator's desk that they knew they could.
Speaker 3: Get a conviction.
Speaker 4: This we say it's quite clear that details your involvement and others in the merger of Scott will consider.
Speaker 1: In a secret recording, Charlie Smith described to a friend what his two cousins had done to Scott that fateful night.
Speaker 10: H go down into the line. Then he goes out after understand but I hadn't know what I told you now as they thought keeping a man, the man of the lovely man go so well.
Speaker 3: With the man mentioned on that to him m hm, and I used the one of the most.
Speaker 10: As I didn't tall a big first he thinks.
Speaker 2: About you know.
Speaker 10: That man didn't thought.
Speaker 1: It was damning evidence that would change the course of the entire murder investigation. M in what on Thames, Police investigating the savage murder of Scott Wilkinson on Donkey Island have received a recording that turns the case on its head. On the tape, Charlie Smith, one of the three main suspects, is heard admitting that he and his cousins were involved in fatally attacking Scott with a nail on a stick. It's the final piece of evidence police need to charge him and brothers Lenny and Shane Crott with the killing.
Speaker 2: At the start of the trial. I think there was an apprehensive atmosphere. It wasn't helped by a series of delays. The prison had failed to produce the defendants on time. I had to be pushed back, and eventually they managed to open the case in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: In court, the three defendants pleaded not guilty.
Speaker 2: There was a division between the brothers and the cousin. It is what is described as a cutthroat defense, in which a group of defendants all stopped to blame each other. Shane's case was that Charlie had killed Scott and that Lenny had been standing by their tents and hadn't been.
Speaker 3: Involved at all.
Speaker 2: Charlie's case was that Shane and Lennie had killed Scott and he'd been barely involved. Lenny didn't put up really a defense. He didn't give evidence in his own defense. His statement chimed with his brothers in that he was standing at a different part of the island and had no idea what was going on.
Speaker 1: The defense team also cast out over Scott's cause of death being his fractured skull. The post mortem showed he was still breathing when he was thrown into the Thames.
Speaker 7: We know that his heart monitor continued to work after this initial initial spike associated with fear.
Speaker 1: So could Scott have drowned?
Speaker 6: Whenever we recovered a body from the water, we would always take a couple of water samples, one from the surface of the water where the body was recovered from, and one from near the river bed. And what you're looking for there, though you'd never see it with your naked eye, are diatoms in the water? Are in on your last breath, you would be breathing in water that had diatoms in it, and in the last bit of circulation in the body that would filter around the body into the organs. Under forensic analysis as part of the investigation, if you found diatoms in the organs of the dead body, it would prove that the body was still alive and breathing when they were placed in the water.
Speaker 7: There were some features of water entering Scot's lung so that is a possibility, but the signs of drowning are quite soft. Water can get into the lungs as the heart fails and the lungs fill up with water in a sense from the inside, but of course in drowning, water can enter through the air passages and the appearances can be very similar and difficult to determine. In Scott's case, the head injuries were so severe.
Speaker 3: They were going to be fatal.
Speaker 7: Whether or not he was put in the water, there was.
Speaker 2: No way of saving him at that point, even if help had been called immediately.
Speaker 1: As the trial progressed, a picture emerged of what happened on Donkey Island in the days leading up to Scott's murder.
Speaker 2: The boys campsite was quite close to where Scott was. In fact, I think they'd camped in the place that he usually camped. They turned up before him, so he moved a little distance away, but not very far to set up on his own. One of Scott's friends remarked how much of a mess they'd made. Maybe a little bit about noise, but in general there doesn't seem to have been kind of hostile relations between Scott and the three boys. There was a strange incident mentioned during the trial in which the three boys had gone back to Shane and Lenny's parents' house for I think some food and maybe a change of clothes, and then came back and found that their fishing rods, which had belonged to Jane, Lenny's father had disappeared. There's some suggestion that maybe Scott had moved them, that they wanted to teach him a lesson for moving their fishing gear. That was one of the reasons that was advanced as a possible motive. Another was that, as well as fishing on the island, Scott would occasionally deal small amounts of cannabis, and the boys claimed that he had given some to them. The suggestion then was that on the night they had gone to see him to get more abyss and he had refused on the basis that they hadn't paid him for the stuff that he'd already supplied. Late on that night, Scott was beaten by a blunt object, probably a piece of wood, very severely. He was very badly injured. His skull was cracked and he was left in the river to die.
Speaker 8: Who knows what started at Maybe one of the people felt disrespected by something Scott Wilkinson said. Maybe one of the guys saw something he wanted that Scott Wilkinson had. I don't think it took very much and I think the minute one of those boys picked up a board and attacked Scott Wilkinson, it would have been almost impossible psychologically for one of them to intervene. I think that this was in many respects as somewhat impulsive crime. I think this crime took on a life of its own once it started, and it did become kind of a mob mentality.
Speaker 1: As well as the secret recording, the prosecution had witnesses who had encountered the group shortly after the murder.
Speaker 2: They were helped by the three boys, essentially confessing not to the police but to other people that they knew or that they met.
Speaker 8: As the three boys leave the island, they run across these three teenagers who have been intimidated by them in the past, and they continue to intimidate them as my friend. At one point, one of the kids said, as to these three teenagers, don't mess with us because we just committed murder. Why would you go and then brag about a murder that you've committed. It doesn't make any sense, except if you're in the moment and you weren't thinking about the future and your goal is to feel good about what you've done. One of the things that you see so much of the time with these young offenders is they lack judgment in a lot of respects. Their crimes can be very, very impulsive. They aren't very sophisticated in terms of hating evidence. There's this sense of, you know, we're so cool because we did this, so I'm going to brag to other people about this.
Speaker 2: The boys didn't seem particularly remorseful during the trial. They just sort of sat there listening at separate ends of the doc. You had Shane and Lenny at one end and Charlie the other with a it was called an intermediary, someone to help him understand what was what was happening in court. When the verdict was read out, the initial reaction was shocked. The first verdict to be delivered was Charlie Smith being found not guilty of murder. There were audible gasps in the courtroom, but obviously very quickly after that the foreman said that they found him guilty of mansuughter. There was less surprise when Shane and Lennie were convicted of murder. I recall the three boys showing very little emotion.
Speaker 1: Shane and Lennie both received a life sentence with a minimum term of fifteen years. Charlie Smith was jailed for thirteen years.
Speaker 2: I think It's always especially shocking when very young people commit offenses of this nature. It was a subtly strange case in that, because two years had passed since the offense, they were all technically adults, and I think that maybe slightly clouded the fact that actually Linear had only been sixteen when he did this. Shame was seventeen. But yes, I think it's still Any murder is shocking, but particularly one carried out by people who were so young.
Speaker 8: These three boys had a history ranging from ceiling to assault, so they obviously had developed a way of life that at the very least accepted criminal behavior, if not promoted that as a way to survive, a way to be tough, a way to kind of get back at the system. This was a group that was not willing to to go along with society's rules and likely saw again the world is kind of this us against them mentality.
Speaker 2: It was a tragic case, and I think more tragic because it was so senseless. Scott seemed like a perfectly nice bloke, didn't really do anything to invite this on himself, and then you've got three boys who were very young, immature, came from a difficult, difficult background, and for seemingly no real reason at all, decided to carry out a brutal attack on this man that they barely knew. I've only covered a couple of murders, and as I say, they're all tragic, but this one is particularly particularly so because there seems to be no reason behind it