Speaker 1: Welcome Friend podcast podcast Jack Again. They're talking about I'm a driver and I'm a flyer that waited a long time for a shot like this. What do you think? Well, what do you know? You got a line on a ship?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I know, guy, he's the best smuggler round.
Speaker 1: I heard a story about you.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if it's true everything you right about me, It's true.
Speaker 1: If you come with us, you're in this life for good. Might want to buckle up, baby.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is that son. I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 1: Hey, how's it going, Zachi.
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic. I'm really excited about this.
Speaker 1: Me too, Me too. This movie holds a special place in my heart with you specifically, So I'm really excited to be talking through this movie with you.
Speaker 2: Well, we're here to talk through solo, a Star Wars story and a couple points number one. I'm excited because it means we're back to our tradition of when a Star Wars movie is about to come out, we do a Star Wars commentary track.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and we were mentioning this off air, but I saw in my Facebook memories it reminded me that eight years ago, exactly to this day, you and I watched this movie together for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of weeks before it came out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. You being a prestigious film critic, you get invited to all the early screenings, especially for highly anticipated things, and you are generous enough to say, hey, I can get a plus one you want to join me? And so I drove up to the Bay Area and you flew up for this one. You flew Oh, I flew up. Oh good memory Indie Indie five.
Speaker 2: That when you drove up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but it was great. It was very exciting because there was a lot of anticipation and curiosity about this movie. This was when Star Wars was doing kind of like new things, theatrically doing well.
Speaker 2: Well up until this movie as a matter of fact.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but I mean this was like a big curiosity and highly anticipated and it was really exciting get to getting to see this early with you. So and I mean, we can get into it when we start the movie, but you know, we had our feelings and then we saw the world's feelings and that was fascinating.
Speaker 2: The two did not intersect, No, Yeah, as as with Indy five, we were able to see it and have our thoughts before the discourse took over, which I found helpful in both instances. But hey, you know, it has been eight years now since this movie came out, and plenty of folks have seen it since, and you know, I feel like there's lots of interesting conversations to be had about about well, shoot, everything surrounding Solo a Star Wars story. There are plenty of of making of stories about this Star Wars story.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. I definitely went on a deep dive.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I'm looking forward to hearing what you what you dug up for me? This was it had been I don't know about you, but it had been a while. I think the last time I saw this was just before Rise of Skywalker, so it felt very fresh. This is probably the Star Wars movie I've seen the least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe me too, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But if you want to watch along with us, feel free to do that. Of course, I got to say the best way to experience our movie commentary tracks is watching along with us. And with that mind, Brian, I'm going to say our Patreon page is the way to go there.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, if you head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast, you'll find a special feed there for only five dollars a month, where you can hear all of our episodes and most importantly today, all of our commentaries add free. So if you want to play this and watch along with us, you won't have any ads or interruptions butting in and chopping up the conversation. You want have to frequently pause the movie whenever an AD starts, and then started up again when we return. If you listen to the special feed over on Patreon, there we go.
Speaker 2: And so I'm ready to go. How about you, Brian?
Speaker 1: I'm ready all right.
Speaker 2: So we'll do the usual thing. One two three play and here we go one two three play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta say, Zachi, I hadn't seen this in a while either, but watching it, even right when it started, I just got kind of a warm, fuzzy feeling. I hear you even this opening here, right, I mean, we get the long time ago in a galaxy far far away, but.
Speaker 2: And then we get the crawl without a crawl exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: It is a crawl, but it's not crawling exactly. And I remember in this moment when all this new stuff was so like unknowable, like, okay, so we're gonna get a story that's not part of the Skywalker socker like Rogue one I'm talking about, Yeah, is it going to you know, open the same way like will it have the big star wars and yell letters and then the crawl? And then it didn't And that was kind of interesting, and so with this it's like what are they going to do with this? It was so what a time? What an exciting to miss it? Not gonna lie? Yeah? Yeah, So I think I did really kind of go back to those giddy feelings of when this was all fresh and new and so much was possible.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think that's going back to what I was saying before. I mean, the fact that I have seen this one less it it There was that sense of like it's all the familiar stuff, but it still felt new ish.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, Like I remembered that he had to talk to this sort of I don't know, like he he being an orphan and he has this woman who kind of runs all these orphans doing crimes for her. I remembered that that happened in this movie. But I kind of forgot what she looked like and the setting and things like that. So yeah, it still felt kind of new ish fresh.
Speaker 2: So one thing I will say is the movie fails to establish the significance of those dice, right.
Speaker 1: Well, it is amazing how many inserts they do of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, it's clearly meant to mean something. And my understanding is that there was like a failure of communication between this movie and Last Jedi or Last Jedi and this movie, and the two were meant to tie together in somewhere or force awakened, certainly because there was a deleted scene where Han puts the dice back in the falcon.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so funny. I remember that so vividly. I forgot it was a deleted scene exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean really, in the original trilogy, the only time we really see them clear is in the first film, in a New Hope, I mean when Chewy, when we see Chewy going into the bridge of the falcon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, I mean, he doesn't like acknowledge them or anything, right, They're just kind of dangling like they would over a rearview mirror or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no insert shot there, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, by the way, well, no, go ahead, gohad, sorry.
Speaker 2: No, I mean that's all I just it's like, maybe just give us something like what they mean to him, you know, like, why are they significant?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I yes, I agree with that. I know some people give the dice a hard time, you know, where it's like, oh, all of a sudden, this thing is the most meaningful thing that Han owns. But then in the movies, we know he just never even looks at them. Yeah, And I just have to say that's never bothered me. I kind of like the idea of they caught something in the frame of the original movies and you know, just added them as texture to the earlier story. These are the later stories. I like that idea.
Speaker 2: So so, you know the original Marvel comic books, which which are non canon obviously, but you know they were. They they were published at the same time as the films, And I remember reading the issue of the Marvel comic which is right after Return of the Jedi, and you have Han going into the bridge of the Falcon and and he says, hey, they're still here, the dice that I won the Falcon with.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So in my head, that's what they always were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, which would make a lot of sense too, hanging from the ship and.
Speaker 2: They right, you know, and so they they went a different way with this, and that's fine. But yeah again it's I'm just like, well, maybe just tell us what they why, why they're significant, that's all, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could even have something to do with Kira, like, because he hands them to her at one point. That's right. I don't know. By the way, this this I forgot this creature's name, but I'm getting major dark Crystal vibes. Oh yeah, right right, just this kind of ugly muppet puppet looking thing. I mean, it's off putting, but I kind of like it.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of what was really exciting in this moment. I remember I am gonna pat myself on the back a little bit here. When we started the podcast and everything was going so cgi heavy, I remember saying, some filmmakers are gonna make a movie and they're gonna use puppets again and practical stuff, and everyone's going to say they're a genius. And then jj Abrams did and which was great because it did make a Star Wars sequel. Still feel like it was a part of the movies that had come before it, well, most especially the original trilogy. Maybe not so much the prequels, but I liked that with this and the sequels, and in this here they stuck to that, and we get a lot of animatronic masks, you know, and this big puppet creature that looks weird. It looks like a puppet, but it works. It's in the room. It feels unsettling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean there there is a physicality to it that is appreciated.
Speaker 1: And even in its dangly awkwardness. Yeah, something about it. Yeah, just being in the room makes it work with our brains in a way that we almost forgive the awkwardness of it because it's there.
Speaker 2: Physics.
Speaker 1: Physics. So we get the thermal detonator here, we get a lot of like little things items that we get.
Speaker 2: There's quite a few callbacks, fun little callbacks, nothing too obnoxious, I don't think.
Speaker 1: See, you know, this is what's interesting. I was going to remark on how dimly lit that den is. Yeah, uh, and then I forgot when he throws the thing that he lets the light in and it burns the creature. Apparently these creatures can't be in light, and it's like, oh right, that's like a story thing. However, the rest of the movie is pretty dimly lit anyway, that is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the lighting scheme is is very different from from what we what we expected from Star Wars up to this time. I think I think the more recent stuff kind of looks similar to this, you know, I mean and or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a strange way, they were almost ahead of the time of their time, with everyone kind of complaining about Netflix aesthetics, you know, like Netflix TV. Yeah, I gotta say, it's like here, it looks okay, but there are moments where I'm like, this is really really dark, you know, like well maybe and muddy looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, specifically when when they meet Lando for the first time. Yes, yeah, I'm not I'm not crazy about that. I was thinking here, by the way, this all this all feels very American graffiti.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, which seems.
Speaker 2: Appropriate not only for the Ron Howard factor, but also the Harrison Ford factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah. Well and just Lucas of course, you know, just all all the Star Wars films are just filled with so many of the things that are going on in his brain.
Speaker 2: You have speeders that look like nineteen fifties cars, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that too. That moment I was thinking, you know, when you make a movie, it's like it's you don't just pick up a camera and point very often, like you have to set things up and get lights and have a whole crew with chairs behind the camera, like it's a big deal. And I love that they took the time to have that droid at that stop point just to be like hey, wait stop and then it gets run over and its head kind of flies off like that just feels very Star warsy to me, like it makes the world feel very alive and chaotic. And I thought that was a like it popped out to me as a cool inclusion. Look at this, so this seems so good, Like this looks like a real location, real explosions, real.
Speaker 2: Knocked over the frame is very lively. Yeah, and I appreciate that. I you know, I said for a long time and as most people did, I'm sure, oh, you know, around Howard it would be a great Star Wars director, and and I think I think he did. He did a great job. It's just unfortunate that like his experience is one of like oh and it's this massive flop, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he walked into a really complicated situation. Yeah, you know, so it wasn't like he like nurtured this whole thing from the beginning. He kind of stepped in and saved the day in a way. But I mean he he was offered the gig for Phantom Menace at one point, right where it was considered at least I believe, so, Yeah, and he turned it down, And I thought I read that when this was presented to him coming in and you know, taking over solo, he wasn't so sure about doing it. But it was his wife that eventually convinced him something. Maybe it's just one of those things that's like I don't know, like do I really want to touch I mean again, at this point, this was they were still very I don't know that we had very many shows at this point, if at all.
Speaker 2: ZO zero shows. Mandalorian was still a year away.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Star Wars was still very very precious, right, And it's like you wouldn't want to be one of the few people that like ruined it. Now.
Speaker 2: This project was something that from the earliest days after the sale was like, oh, and we want to do a Han solo origin story, and you know that was something Lauren's cast and really pushed for. And I always thought it was a good idea. I know, I know it. You know, there were people who critiqued it, and there was that like, oh, nobody but but Harrison Ford could play Han solo. And I never felt that in terms of like, well, no, I mean, it's the younger version of the character, and it seems fine, you know, and at least for me, I I love Alden Aaron Reich in this part. I think he did a great job. Yep, you know I said this at the time. I think I think he manages to become the character with that imitating Harrison Ford. You know, there's certain soloisms that he works in and and certainly as the film progresses, you know, by the time we're up to the showdown with Dryden Voss, I'm like, that's Han solo.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree. I mean, I guess to make it clear right off the bat, I really like this movie, and not having watched it a lot and revisiting it the other night, this is just a darn good story. And like a darn good Han Solo story, like seeing him, he's he's got traits that we recognize, but he is a little different because the world hasn't beaten him down quite yet, you know. But we watch him have all these you know, key moments happen kind of all at once, and they sort of pound him into the becoming the cynic that we know him from, you know, in the in the other films, and it's kind of a I think it's done really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it fits very neatly with with everything we've seen of the character to this point. And and you know, I think both this and Rogue One do prequels better in some ways than the Star Wars prequels did, because I felt like the Star Wars prequels often sort of hit you over their head over the head with the the the prequelness of it, like the the references, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like like like callbacks and things like, oh this person did you didn't know this, but they actually all knew one another even thirty years ago, or the yeah, you know, their ancestors actually interacted, and.
Speaker 2: Baby Boba Fett is most egregious, and you know out and and you know and again one day you will be the death.
Speaker 1: Of me, you know.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, sure, I think I think when references are a little more subtle or you know, it plays better. That's just me me personally.
Speaker 1: No, I'm with you on that. It At one point I think in Revenge of the Sith they were going to have Han solo in there as a boy right on.
Speaker 2: Kashik Yeah, which thank you know, but bullet dodged there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a real thing that was concept art for so so somebody intervened, you know, yeah, Rick.
Speaker 1: McCollum, perhaps, I don't know. By the way, just this scene here again, I mean.
Speaker 2: I just feel like this is just a tight, real quick Brian.
Speaker 1: This right here.
Speaker 2: We hear the Imperial March in major key, which for the recruiting video, and that as our Star Wars music on our show years before this movie came out.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Sorry, go ahead, No, no, no, I'm just kind.
Speaker 1: Of all admiring. What do we what was this thirteen minutes in and just so much has happened already, yeah, you know, like I don't know anyway, I'm just admiring. Well, of course it's written by the Kasden's, so we know we're in good hands, right, Yeah, But I just a little trivia tidbit I thought was kind of interesting. Apparently, Ron Howard always puts his wife Cheryl in his films, like as a good luck charm, gives her a cameo, and she had saught it shot a scene for this movie, but it got deleted. And so one day Howard was telling the ILM people like, I'm bummed. You know, I have this great track record of doing that. It's something special between us, and too bad it didn't work out for this one. And they're like, oh, well, let's just shoot her against the green screen and throw her in somewhere, and so they did under the hologram Empire recruitment hologram. How funny. Yeah, so she's in there, just kind of walking around, and so got to keep up the tradition.
Speaker 2: I like that, and obviously Clint Howard, his brother's also a tradition. And yep, now, now the the naming of Han solo, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, Ellis Island style.
Speaker 1: Now I know this.
Speaker 2: This came in for a whole bunch of criticism when the movie came out, and you and I have had this discussion before. Well, for me, when I was a little kid, I read the Return of the Jedi story book. And in this scene after they leave Tattooin and after the whole Java sequence, you have Luke and his X Wing thinking about Han and he says and it says something to the effect of Luke always wondered if Han took on the name Solo because he was alone. But he's not alone anymore or I'm paraphrasing right, So like in my head it was always like like an alias because of that book I read as a kid.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Oh okay, okay, so you've had that already.
Speaker 2: Right, so it never bothered me. I mean, it wasn't even something I really gave much thought to, you know, but like it was like, oh, and it's not even his real name, and you know, all the critique I was like it felt excessive to me. That's just me.
Speaker 1: I can literally go both ways with it. Like there's part of me that it's just like, oh okay, you know, it's sort of like a young indie and the whip and the scar on the chin, like like I can chuckle and go okay and just roll with it and go to the next scene. And then there's another part of me. And I've heard people sort of say this where it's like like, so some guy that wasn't being very nice to you, just as like a lark, gives you this like nickname, you know, like if you're in prison and some guard is just like, you know, all right, pork chop, you know, and then shoves you in line or something, and you're like, well, I guess that's me now, Brian pork Chop. You know, like you take the nickname that he gives you and put it on all your identification. I could see, like I can see why people feel that way.
Speaker 2: But well, I'll have two responds to that. Number One so is like pretty cool sounding a true h and and and two uh that therees me doing like buzz from home alone.
Speaker 1: I didn't even catch it. Sorry, I was like half this is always the funny thing is like I'm half watching a movie, half having a conversation with you when we do these.
Speaker 2: No but but but two, the imperial was not being that mean to him. He was being actually as imperials go, like just like okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. He could have been like han loner, yeah, move along, like what are you doing? Dipshit?
Speaker 2: You know, like he like you want to join okay, you know, like yeah, so it's at at at worst a net neutral for him, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And he doesn't have a last name and he needs one, and maybe at some point it's just it's stuck and then it becomes a part of you.
Speaker 2: Solo is as good as any.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. If the prison guy gave me like a cool name, like exactly, like, all right, move it's skull Crusher, I'd be like, whoa, that's a cool name, right, Brian, skull Crusher. Right.
Speaker 2: But if it's like hey, hershey squirts.
Speaker 1: Right right, and you're at the DMV, you don't want to be like hershey squirts, Brian. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, So that battle so basically out of desperation because he wants to be a pilot so he can get back to Kira. He joins the Empire so he can, you know, learn how to fly or whatever, or he already knows how to fly, but he needs to get a ship. Anyway, he gets uh, he disobeys. I guess that's a deleted scene, right, and he gets demoted and becomes infantry. Yeah, and so we cut to him in the middle of this chaotic battle, and I really love how that's captured it's just this, you know, insanity like Battle Doaled to eleven where you can't see what's going on. There's a laser blasts going past their head, everything's exploding, you can't see five feet in front of you. Just the chaos and the scariness of that I thought was captured really well. Yeah, and his persistence trying to join this team Beckett.
Speaker 2: I kind of love that. Throughout the whole movie. You never quite know what to think of Beckett.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a great sort of mentor to Han, and you know he'll take some lessons from him, some good things, some bad things.
Speaker 2: I think it helps that it's Woody Harrelson, and I think people have a general affinity for Woody Harrelson.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna ask you, does it take you out at all? Having Woody Harrelson in a Star Wars movie? That is a great question.
Speaker 2: It does not, because he's done so many different franchises that you're just sort of you know, to me, it's no different than having like a like a Mad's Michelson or something in a Star Wars movie.
Speaker 1: You know. Oh see, I agree with that in theory, But for me specifically, Woody Harrelson is so Woody Harrelson, like when he's in Now You See Me, when he's in twenty twelve, when he's in whatever else he's in. Yeah, it's just like Woody Harrelson is playing Woody Harrelson. And so I think he's doing a great job in this movie. I think he's very good in this role. But there is a slight part of me that is a little taken out. I gotta be honest.
Speaker 2: See, I remember back when the prequels came out, people saying that about Sam Jackson.
Speaker 1: You're sure, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well that worked out fine, So it did, I think, right. I think after that, I'm just like, well, we're gonna see familiar faces in these movies, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well at some point, yeah, you just have to. And like I said, he I think he does a great job.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you think about it, he's playing a character very similar to DJ, the Benizio del Toro character. Oh interesting, Yeah, you know he occupies that that particular part of the spectrum.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love how this this sequence it well, it calls back to two things to me. Number one, it's kind of like the Rank Corps. You know. Yeah, oh good. I didn't even think about that. Yeah, right, tossed into the pit, so that the monster deed. But it also reminds me of Return of the Jedi when well that rank War is also returned to the Jedi.
Speaker 1: But when when Han.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know when he's when he when he's captured by Java. Mm, well he's already been captured by Job. Okay, I'm doing.
Speaker 1: I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where Chewy has been purchased by Jaba and after Han is out of the carbonite, but he doesn't have his eyes back, and we see Chewy kind of come out of the shadows.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it just reminds me of that it looks very similar. Yeah, yeah, but this is.
Speaker 2: Fun, right, we can see a bromance is born exactly for the ages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, now I gotta ask. I mean, this is the first time I think we've seen a human type character speak Wookie. Yeah, like work for you? Or does it feel slightly silly? Yes? To both? Agreed? I actually I agree, I am very much. I'm always you know, ABC or d if D is roll with it. Yeah, when it comes to any of those sorts of questions with this movie, I'm going to be going with roll with it, but slightly silly too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I see, to me, there's something about the fact that Han is the only one who who was like, well, why don't we just talk to him?
Speaker 1: You know? Yep, yep, And he can't have that sort of connection with him he knows a little bit about his his uh ways exactly.
Speaker 2: It's it's like you know Chief in that the Simpsons that's doing the the one floor with the cuckoos nest thing. Oh yeah, numbers he talks, well, nobody ever said anything to me.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, sure. They just treat him like a beast chained in a little dungeon thing exactly. Wise, and he asks him his name. What a concept. Yeah, but man, this movie is murky looking.
Speaker 2: I I wish it looked a little more, I don't know, you know, like a little more like traditional Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can appreciate it for some moody atmosphere from time to time, depending on where they are. But the thing, you know, I'll just speak for myself. I sort of complain a little bit these days when people only build parts and it has been going for a long time, but I think they've taken to extreme these days where they build parts of sets and then they fill out the rest either through like the volume or CGI or whatever, And so there really doesn't feel like there's any depth, you know, or or anything to a lot of locations anymore in big budgeted movies, unfortunately. And this movie appears to have that depth. It has the locations, it has the sets that they built, and I kind of hate that they're obscured by all this murkiness. But you know, that's not to say that I don't like that as a style. I mean, I think of The Godfather or even Amadais, you know, movies that were lit by literal candlelight in some instances, I think it can fit sometimes, but even Amideis is more brightly lit than this movie. Yeah. So it looks kind of like the settings on your TV got you know, put back to factory setting and you need to readjust them or something. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I mean as I was rewatching, I was monking around with my settings just so just trying to figure out, like, is my my monitor burning out?
Speaker 1: You know? Interesting?
Speaker 2: So, I know, Brian, you've been waiting to see Han and Chewy shower together for a long time.
Speaker 1: So I was so I was like, where's this going.
Speaker 2: I remember, excitedly you were punching my arm as we were watching this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I pulled up my Bengo car and crossed the little X off a box.
Speaker 2: You excitedly pulled out a scroll of your Chewy Han shower fan fix and and rubbed them in my face. And I was like, okay, yeah, I got.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the dice, do you remember that we we we I brought up some dice for us when we saw this, just to mark the occasion, because I thought it was really fun and special, and so I have them actually right next to me here in my car. Yeah. This is nice, a nice. You know. It's that's another thing too, you notice, Like movies, I think as the years go on, I mean, I know people have been complaining about MTV editing for the longest time, and movies have been speeding up. But you know, I've spoken with editors and they're like, oh yeah, like they executives, whoever the powers that be that ultimately make the decisions. It's like they just don't trust an audience is willing to sit and listen for very long, right, And so you know scenes where two characters are just kind of talking and maybe it's not progressing the story, but it is illuminating something, you know, it is helping us to understand the characters better. It's they get nervous about those types of scenes. And I thought about that during that moment where Han and Chew we are just standing on that little balcony sort of area, just so, what's your name, you know, just kind of talking to each other, and it it makes their relationship, you know, more believable in meaningful later in the movie. So I I admire the movie for having the patience for those quieter moments too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I think this is where, you know, to some extent, you know, you can switch up certain aspects of Star Wars films, but you are behold and to the storytelling approach of of the films up to this time, right, And I think that's where it works in this movie's favor.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: Sure, you can't mix it up too much. And maybe you know, as we record this, we have not seen Mandalorian and Grogu yet. Maybe you know that's they're just gonna They're just gonna Michael Bay Armageddon, that thing. I have no idea, I suspect not. I mean it's John Favreau, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just about to say, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know, but but but you know, I think that works in his favorite Star Wars is meant to be old fashioned in some way.
Speaker 1: M m. That works in his favor. Well, And that's what I kept thinking as I was watching this, and even you know, by the time it was over, this is a very old fashioned story. Yeah, you know, a real hero's journey and just lessons learned. And I don't know, I just it doesn't feel like it needs to subvert. I mean, there are twists and turns, but it doesn't need to like subvert for the sake of subverting to try to get you know, triple fake out the audience or anything like. It's just a good, solid story about a guy we like and are interested in. And I just really admire it. It just feels old fashioned as and I say it as a high compliment, confident in its story and that we will go on that ride and and you know, enjoy going on it with him.
Speaker 2: Well, and and this sequence gets us as close to you know, Indie with the whip and the you know, sure with him getting his blaster, and I was I was thinking, later, you know when you see him wielding the blaster, you know, during the Kessel sequence, then later like that blaster does a lot of the lot of the lifting to give us like the silhouette of Han solo, you know. Yeah, yeah, it's kind of remarkable. It's a it's a hell of an iconic gun.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and we get the iconic pose, you know, when he's holding people off when there's that robot slave revolt. Yeah, which is funny because when I think, well, no, I guess it does happen in the movies. I was gonna say, I mostly know what I think from promotional materials, but that's not true.
Speaker 2: Well, like in A New Hope when exactly when he's when he's about to board the falcon and on indoor, Yeah, I'm doing that exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It is interesting though it seems people understand Chewy. Maybe they can't speak, well he doesn't, as I said that, but other characters seem to pick up on what he's saying. Or am I wrong? Well, I I just sort of miss it the whole time.
Speaker 2: Han is translating for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but in the other films, I mean, do people actually know what he's saying or are they just rolling with his mood.
Speaker 2: I think for the most part, they don't direct, like, they don't converse with Chewy like Han does.
Speaker 1: I'm like having a moment where I'm like realizing this now, sort of like usual suspects, Like I'm seeing all the scenes again in my head, like, wait, were they not understanding him? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because if you remember in the Force Awakens, when Han and Chewie first come aboard the falcon, Ray is the first one to speak to him, and Finn is like, you can understand that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: So other than Han, Ray is the first one to actually speak or yeah to you know, which just goes to why she's a Mary Sue, right, Brian, Well, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, I guess that's a really good way to immediately make us feel like a character is connected you or someone we can trust, right because he becomes her copilot.
Speaker 2: That's a normal reaction, Brian. But we're talking about Star Wars fans, so I don't know what the hell you're doing.
Speaker 1: Here, right. I love this sequence, by the way, this is great.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, what are great heists sequence we have here?
Speaker 1: Totally cool, very western, you know, but like in a Star Wars setting, right, So it's this. I love the idea of this track, and it's built to go around these mountains, so every now and then it'll tilt, you know, which creates a great occasional issue for the characters trying to stand on top of the train. They got to hold on at certain points because the train is tilting. So it's great. John Favreaux, I forgot that he voiced that pilot character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is pre Mandalorian, so he just did this for love of the game. M They're like, you want to voice a weird monkey man and he's like, you're goddamn right.
Speaker 1: But you know, a lot of times I'm always pointing out visual effects and being like, why does it look so flat? Why is it blah blah blah. But this looks great. Yeah, I feel like everything blends together. Well, I don't know what's real, what isn't. I think there's enough of it that's real that these actors are walking on that makes it believable to me, Right, that they're in this environment and the way that they blend with whatever isn't there. I just I think this is really exceptionally done.
Speaker 2: It's a terrific sequence. I mean, we get several solid action sequences in this film, and that really helps.
Speaker 1: Yep. But you know, I don't know if I want to save it, yeah, I'll save it, Okay. Suspense, Yeah, I mean, do.
Speaker 2: We want to talk about the absolute shit show that went on behind the scenes of this?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, yeah, I mean, I got notes whenever we're ready? Yeah, where to begin?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, what's what's remarkable is how it, unfortunately behind the scenes chaos sort of came to characterize the entirety of Kathleen Kennedy's time in so far as the big screen portion of the Star Wars franchise.
Speaker 1: That is a great point because everyone was happy with Force Awakens. Yeah, right, so you're saying this, you think this was when.
Speaker 2: I mean it started really with Rogue one, right, which, like they they kind of snuck that one out and and it did okay, so they looked past that the the you know, I mean it, what you realize in hindsight is how much of it was Frankenstein together, you know, And I think to some extent the brain trust that lucasfilm got it in their heads, oh we can just do this all the time, and and then it just caught up to them here, you know. H but you had this and what became Rise of Skywalker in rapid succession go through something similar, you know, and it is what it is, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the way, I just want to call it that move where Han is going to hit that I don't even know what is that little tower as he's dangling on the side of the train. So I love the way he has to improves where he lets undoes his cable so he drops and miss is hitting the tower, but then he's got to grab onto the bottom of the train. It's just so very Spielbergie and inventive and using your environment for exciting action. Yeah, that's great stuff. Yeah. Well so, I mean this was part of the initiative right when they were kicking Star Wars back off under the Disney regime. It's like, we're gonna have Skywalker sequels, but we're also gonna have these other stories, you know that involve other characters, the origin stories of some of our characters. And to make sure that they felt you know, legitimate and make fans excited, they brought back, you know, the legendary people who were involved in the original movies that we all loved. Right, So Lawrence Kasden like not, you know, you could imagine when they say we're gonna do an origin story for Han Solo, people like, uh, You're like written by Lawrence Kasden, Right, the guy who wrote Empire Strikes Back, co wrote Return of the Jedi, wrote Raiders of the Lost Arc.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, go on.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, And so then Lawrence Kasden was like, cool, but I want to do this with my son, right, Jonathan, And so they wrote this script together. Lucasfilm's like, great, let's make this. And then they brought on Phil Lord and Christopher Miller to direct. And they are interesting choices because right they begin an animation, they do a show for MTV called Clone High, and then they make a movie for Sony called Claudie with a Chance of Meatballs, which I think, you know, I mean, that was a huge catapult for them right where it was this sort of it was a book originally that I don't think had a lot of plot, and they turned it in this really funny, sweet, inventive, clever kids film that I remember hearing like, actually, this movie's pretty good. You should check it out. And so kids liked it, adults liked it, and then they went, I believe did they do the twenty one Jump Street movies? Next d did? Yeah, which is hilarious because it's like, Okay, the guys who made this really cute family movie now, either way, real quick, Brian no please? Yeah? Rio right here.
Speaker 2: As he coughs and wheezes the last he says it's no good to die alone, kid to hanh And I'm gonna say, I don't know, maybe dying alone beats getting stabbed in the chest by your son, just putting that out there, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't even you know what, I didn't even think about. We're seeing this young Han and then connecting him to his death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, go on anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they make twenty one Jump Street, which is just a completely different sort of thing. Right. They make this hard R like kind of improvisation comedy, right, and it's a remake of a kind of forgotten nineteen eighties TV series that has a very goofy premise, right, where these like cops go undercovers high school students, and so it's like, what the heck is this? And then it comes out and it's hilarious. Everyone's like, oh, this, this is amazing. And then it's like, oh, well, now these guys are going to make a Lego movie, right, which just sounds very like like selling out commercial, you know, like, are you gonna make like a toy movie based on this? How do you even do that? What does it even look like like? And then lo and behold they come up with the Lego movie and it's brilliant.
Speaker 2: Everything was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a really ingenious story that uses legos and it becomes kind of its own thing. And you know, anyway, it's all that to say, they have this really unusual career, and they also had this knack for taking things that feel like they shouldn't work right and then making hits out of them that everybody loves. So you can see why Lucasfilm might think, hey, you know, would be kind of cool like Han Solo, it's an adventure film, but he's also kind of roguish and funny, and you know, you want to have like a humor to it also, right, it's not just action and like what these guys did the twenty one Jump Street thing and the Lego thing, and they're just very inventive and they know how to take things and make them feel fresh and exciting and new and have a perspective on it. I could see completely why they would bring those guys in to you know, at least pitch on making a Han solo movie. I mean, do you do you see that too now or does that feel sort of like, well maybe that wasn't the best.
Speaker 2: Well no, it makes it look look at who they were roping in at the time, right, like like Ryan Johnson, I mean again opinion of last Jedi, notwithstanding he you know, he was coming off of Brick and Looper, young up and coming right. H Remember Josh Trank was attached to a Boba Fett movie for a minute, forgot about that, but yes, yeah, right, you know, and so Lord and Miller part of that wave, right, m you know, even even Vennioffen. Weis right, it's like these these people who are coming up who you know, I'm sure the thinking was, you know, bring their perspectives, these new, unique, young, unique perspectives, these young these filmmakers who no doubt grew up liking Star Wars, and let them have their say in it. And and so that was the thinking. And obviously the way it went is is the way it went, which I'm sure you'll talk about more, but I certainly don't quibble with the choice to bring them on m You know, I would say probably there was there was a lot of stuff that was not clarified between the various parties ahead of time.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's true because when you say, you know, young up and coming with Ryan Johnson, I think you on paper could possibly say that about them because they hadn't they'd taken some things that felt like underdog projects and made them big. It wasn't like they've made a Lord of the Rings movie or a Star Wars movie or anything. At this point, however, they have had a lot of success and clearly in their minds they have a process that works for them. So you have to imagine if they're being brought into something, they're thinking, yeah, we'll do what we do because you like what we do.
Speaker 2: Right, right, and and here's the thing, right, if I can plot a parallel look at Joe and Anthony Russo. Right, if you would have said, oh, these guys who direct you know, Happy Endings and Arrested Development and community, Oh they're gonna make this grounded, gritty political thriller, right, like it doesn't line up, right, But what you realize is that on the producing side, you know, obviously the the ship had already been well established, right, So by then we're two phases in, Kevin Feigey had already sort of standardized how things work there, and people could work within, people had flexibility within that, right, right. And I think at this point this is not meant to like point the finger of Blane at Kathleen Kennedy. I'm just saying, like Star Wars being back, and Star Wars in this way, it was sort of a.
Speaker 1: Whole new thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe there wasn't that that architecture in place to work within.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. That's a really good point. Well, and then that's one of the criticisms that comes up a lot about the sequel trilogy is it doesn't feel like they had a lot planned out in advance. They sort of thought they would bring in exciting people and let them do their thing.
Speaker 2: And yeah, well, and that critique will will live, you know, as long as film exists, which is, you knew you were going to have three You're telling me you didn't at least have three napkins?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: With with a plot scribbled on them, you know, right, that's just that'll baffle you know, generations to come, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but just real quick, just looking at what's on screen, I do want to say I love this idea of the coaxium. Yeah, the fuel. It's like a great mcguffin that makes a lot of sense in this universe that people can lose they need to get it back, and it's also rare and highly volatile. Yeah, and what a brilliant way of helping us understand that where we see this heist and we know it's important, but they lose it and it hits a mountain. This train car filled with it hits a mountain and the mountain is leveled. Yeah, like, you do not want to mess with this stuff.
Speaker 2: By the way, real quick, doesn't han we're in that coat? Doesn't he kind of look like that that tubby guy who played Jaba in the original like deleted scene of like yeah, yeah, sure sure, like before they added CG.
Speaker 1: Java. Yeah, yeah, the Scottish actors like sol La Sola. Yeah that's smarty. But then I love That's the thing too, is when you do a Star Wars movie, there's things you want to see that are you know, familiar stuff you want to recognize. They keep going back to desert planets, and I know that's been a criticism, but also it delights me. What can I say? But I like when they go to new places too, and see seeing the Star Wars version of that. So now we're seeing a Star Wars yacht, right, and the version of that is it's not on water, but it's this big, elegant floating, you know, ship basically, And I don't know, like certainly like we have the casino thing in Last Jedi, which I know some people are like and some don't. I did because I was like, well, I've never seen this before. This is it's cool seeing what that looks like, Like what are the wealthy? How do they live in Star Wars times? Because we're usually not in that world and so this to me just I don't know, I I like similar to that. I like this. I like seeing Han who's probably never been in a place like this before, wandering around this yacht and seeing you know, a lounge singer and you know, people with serving trays and all that sort of thing. Yeah, it's a good idea. It's a new idea and it's fun this reunion, of course, it's very sweet. I love them.
Speaker 2: Elia Clark, She's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well you you've interviewed her and had a great experience.
Speaker 2: Right, I've said before one of one of the best interviews I had. She was just just just you know, so fun, just very friendly.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I love her smile, you know, like you can see why Han is like like, no, Kira would never like I know, you know, she'd betray me or you know, like because she just smiles and you just you just can can just fall into it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really this story really works for me, the two of them, because all he's been thinking about is reuniting with her. And how can I reunite with her? Well, then I'll join the military. I'll do like I'll join these criminals. I'll do whatever it takes so I can go get her. And so this reunion is everything to him, and I love how she plays it because you can see that she's excited too, but she also knows things he doesn't know. She knows things have changed. Yeah, but there is still a genuine joy in her eyes seeing him, you know what I mean, Like that conflict and the balance that she's trying to the tightrope. She's trying to walk through this whole story with him and her relationship with him. I like that. It's not like she smiles at him and then he away and then we see her smile drop and so the whole movie we're like, right, like, oh that sucks. She's not with him, you know, in her heart anymore. And I think they do a really good job of she must do what she has to do in this movie, but you can see her heart fighting against it the whole way, and that, to me, that's makes me I connect with that more. Yeah, no, I totally agree. Yeah, Oh that was funny. By the way, too, I do like the when Beck it's just like, you know, no one in here is your friend, so don't even like look at anybody, like look at the floor. And then like he Han literally does that. He's like he's like a grown man, but he's like walking through the ship just looking at the ground, like, okay, look at anybody. Something about that makes me laugh. Well, we should speaking changes. Yeah, we gonna have to hopscotch stories here, but yeah, please.
Speaker 2: Well Dryden boss, I think you're gonna say. This was originally played by Michael Kenneth Williams, and then that was in the Lord and Miller portion yep. And then after the changes in the reshoots, he just wasn't available. I think that's what it came down to.
Speaker 1: You, right, Unfortunately, Yes, yeah, he scheduling made it so he couldn't work with Ron Howard, but they did rethink his character and.
Speaker 2: He was supposed to be kind of a cat looking thing or something, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I actually have a quote from him. It was going to be a motion capture character and he says it was half mountain lion, half human. Okay, just reading his quotes here, he says he was extremely sophisticated, very rich, he'd been around the world, older guy. And it was sort of a love triangle between Emilia Clark's character and the young Hans solo. He said it was not necessarily a love triangle, but he said it was a pissing contest for her attention. Hmm, very different, right, And I think the thinking was, if there is going to be this possible love trying, I don't know that i'd call it a love triangle, but yeah, it certainly is the attention of Kira, right. You know, you can see your attention and feelings, as different as they may be divided between Han and between Dryden and having him look a little more human like versus a cat, I think helps sell that, and you know, it makes it feel like more of a threat to Han.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, well, it's like, first of all, I think, I think Paul Bettney's great in this movie.
Speaker 1: I really like him. He's perfect because sometimes you kind of he puts you at ease and you're like, Okay, we're good, We're good. I mean, I know I'm not in the best situation here, but he's being kind of like friendly to me. But then he'll turn on a dime and you're like, oh, he's gonna kill me.
Speaker 2: That's well, he kind of lulls you because he's He's Jarvis for goodness sake. You know, you get you get pulled in by his voice. So he's great. However, you know the fact that we missed out on ever having Michael Kenneth Williams and Star Wars is such a shame.
Speaker 1: I agree. I mean, his energy would be amazing right in any of these movies. So I agree we're never gonna have that opportunity again. Unfortunately, you know, Yeah, because he passed away. Also should note I didn't know this until I did the research, but Dryden scars on his face are cgi added in post. Really is that nuts? That's fascinating. They look really good.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what's cool is when he gets angry they turn more red.
Speaker 2: So is that something they decided on later, like, oh, he should have a look or was it something they decided from the beginning. Oh, we'll just do it in post.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I can imagine like, Okay, we'll have this human character, but like, maybe that's not exotic enough, right, you know, because if you have a room full of humans talking, does it still feel Star warsy? So like giving him something not just scars, but scars that change colors with his mood, like it just adds that little, you know, fantasy part to it. See.
Speaker 2: I think we should have scars that are just moving around the face like Rorshak's mask, you know, yeah, right right, just to mix.
Speaker 1: It up a little, and we should call it too. He has these sort of artifacts and relics and things in the background, and one of them is the fertility idol from Raiders of Lost arc Yep, yeah, it's it's not even like hidden. You can see it like pretty clearly. Yeah, right there over Hans shoulder, yep. And that skull, which I guess could be like a crystal skull, but like it reminds me of the uh, the thing from Temple of Doom with the stones in it, that skull.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well apparently that's that's a tie in to a one of the Old Legends novels.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was, there was There was several like young Han solo novels m hm written. Well there's a few, but but there were some by by Brian Daly, who also wrote the Star Wars radio adaptations. M HMMI, which are a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: You've listened to those, right, I've probably heard bits of them on YouTube, but I haven't really heard the whole thing. Those are.
Speaker 2: Those are fun, Like if you're if you're looking for something to listen to on a drive, you know, mm hmm, just put those on, you got. I mean, it's like the Star Wars radio play is something like like ten ten episodes, so it's like five hours, you know, so they really expand it outward, you know, so it's like before and during and uh, the Empire Strikes Back adaptation is terrific also, and Mark Hamill is in is in Star Wars an Empire.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, yeah, they actually get the actual actors. Well doesn't the Star Wars one or New Hope have like deleted scenes right, like where Luke is seeing the battle?
Speaker 2: Yeah, deleted and like added scenes. So like you've got like the whole sequence where it's like, uh, Leah and her and and Baylor Ghana are like planning like the lead up to what happens, you know, the with the blockade runner and stuff. It's really interesting. It's like an artifact, you know.
Speaker 1: That's cool. I love that.
Speaker 2: And and and apparently Lucas because they were on NPR, Lucas gave them the rights for a dollar. Oh I love that, right, And he gave them use of the music and sound effects everything, you know, and it was just a way to like help out NPR.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, that's great that.
Speaker 2: He's you know what's funny is he's he's so perfect as as Lando and and just doing doing that Billy d Williams is you know yeah, yeah, yeah, just that that swagger and you know, I I remember an interview he gave where he talked he met with Billy d Williams. Oh okay, he's like and he's like, you know, he's like does he do this because of this? And like trying to dig into his history, and Billy dy Williams said something to the effective I don't know what any of that is. Man, just just just he's just cool, you know, right, and he just went with that.
Speaker 1: You know. Hey, well Donald Glover's got swaggered too, So that's kind of perfect, like melded together and you get his interpretation. I like it.
Speaker 2: I mean it. I think both of these guys, Aaron Aaron Reich and Donald Glover, they do a good job of playing characters who feel like they become those other guys.
Speaker 1: Totally, Totally. I did want to call that out. Yeah, when they're having that meeting with Dryden. I love that Han speaks up in meetings. Yeah, like, hey, I got an idea. Yeah, you know, I'm a great pilot. It's like the cockiness, but a different version of the cockiness that we will know later, right, you know, Like we see him get humbled and hurt over the course of this story, and so he's still like kind of smug and cocky later, but he doesn't speak up like that anymore, right, you know which I love. I love seeing the early version. It resembles Han, that's right. It's not quite the Han will know yet and we'll see gets there.
Speaker 2: And then And that's tricky, right, Like the comparison I made at the time, and I think it's still apt is. Uh. It's like Chris Pine playing Captain Kirk, where like he's not doing William Shannon impression and when I when I see him, I believe he's Captain Kirk.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I think Aaron Reich is doing something similar, where again it's not you know, he's not you know, who is that guy? You know, everybody was like, oh, he should play young Hanslo what's his name? You know we're talking about he does he doesn't. Oh, yes, he does yeah videos on YouTube and he does Ruber that's his name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't. Excellent. I don't want to say impersonation because he is playing him in as a role in a bunch of these sort of short films that are on YouTube. But he's he's definitely got like the eyes right and kind of the crooked smile and the and certainly the voice like he and as a really good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and you know, I don't know how he would have been, but like to me, I think the hope was that we would have several of these films. I'm sure that's what Disney was hoping for. And so to some extent, you you need to disconnect the actor and the character. It can't be like a slavish imitation, right, uh. And that's tricky. I mean, I mean, look Sean Patrick Flannery and River Phoenix as younger in like you know that again, I think both of them have aspects of Harrison Ford.
Speaker 1: Neither of them.
Speaker 2: Certainly, River Phoenix was not imitating Harrison Ford.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just certain he would do like certain affectations, but he wasn't doing a Harrison Ford imitation exactly. Yeah. Yeah. And that guy, you know, as good as he is, and he's very very good, he is kind of imitating. That's right.
Speaker 2: And that's you know, I think if you lean so hard into imitation, then it's hard to I think it's hard to bring in naturalism to it, completely, agree, because right, you can't make the character your own. You're playing Harrison Ford playing Han solo.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, that's exactly great point. What's his name again?
Speaker 2: Anthony and Kruber?
Speaker 1: Okay, he also does a very good Robin Williams. Have you seen that yet? Well?
Speaker 2: I saw the video.
Speaker 1: Was this the one? Was it?
Speaker 2: Or maybe there was somebody else?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It was at the video where it was like from a playing like when Robin Williams find out finds out that John Blue she died.
Speaker 1: Oh, that might be what I'm thinking of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was was that him?
Speaker 1: I am well, now I'm gonna be on the record, so I'm thinking I am pretty sure. I feel like I remember seeing him do Robin Williams in a scene like it was like a short film or something. So if it wasn't that, it was something very similar to that. You know, talk to me about that.
Speaker 2: I think you're good when we talk about becoming characters. You know, we were talking about the Star Wars radio plays. I just want to mention this real quick. In the Empire Strikes Back adaptation, John Lithgow does the voice of Yoda. Huh and right, And you say, well, well, why wouldn't you get Frank Oz right? I mean, yeah, it's just the voice, right, But frank Oz was like, I only do Yoda when I'm doing a puppet. Oh literally, He's like it for me, Yoda is the perform The performance is the puppet and the voice.
Speaker 1: Fascinating.
Speaker 2: Isn't that interesting? Yeah, And so that's why that's why Litgo did the voice.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting. In a big coincidence. Last night, my friend Ched and I we went and saw an American Werewolf in London. It was playing at the theater by our house and our houses, I should say, and uh, frank real quick, real quick. Uh.
Speaker 2: The actor who did that Robin Williams thing I was talking about. His name is Jamie Costa. So that was not Anthony River.
Speaker 1: Okay, just to be clear anyway, No, go on for the record, Yeah, no, I'm glad. I'm glad. Yeah. No, frank Oz is in American Werewolf in London and just this very brief cameo. And it's funny because he shows up and you're like, I am like ninety percent sure that's frank Oz, and he's like, what are you doing here? And you're like, oh my gosh, yeh, yep, that's frank Oz. That voice is unmistakable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's a cameo in in Blues brothers.
Speaker 1: Also, Yeah, yeah, the land is connection I guess.
Speaker 2: All right, So so Phoebe wall or Bridge.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh, kind of hot off of Fleabag, probably in this moment at this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and uh one one of and there's Clint Toward by the way, Yeah, one of one of two Lucasfilm characters that passed completely without comment or contrabs.
Speaker 1: Actually, as I was watching this, I was like, oh, yeah, she's She's been in both major franchises for Lucasfilm. How funny. That's right. That effect looks very good, by the way, right, I guess that's her wearing.
Speaker 2: A suit that that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with some like you know, green stockings and things to hide her neck and whatever.
Speaker 2: But this kind of a kind of a jar jar effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's perfectly blended into that environment. It looks amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you definitely you definitely see Phoebe waller Bridge's personality.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely.
Speaker 2: This is the most the most personality droid in all of Star Wars, I think very much.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, well let's see here, so I have I have so much It's like, how do I even keep track of all this stuff to talk about? So there was a Jonathan Kasden, co writer, was on Twitter and talked about some of the original ideas that Lord and Miller had for this okay that ended up remaining in the movie even after they left, okay, And I think part of that was developing.
Speaker 2: The character of l three interesting Okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I guess Lord and Miller were the ones who came up with her being sort of this I don't even know what you'd call it, like just her personality and you know, waiting for droid rights and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: So that was a Lord and Miller edition, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or something maybe they like workshopped with her or that was developed. But I mean this sounds like something that the Kasins were aware of and incorporated, sure, and kept in there. So but it does feel kind of like them, doesn't it. Yeah, as long as we're talking about this stuff, other things that came from Lord and Miller that they kept the opening land speeder chase through the streets of Karelia, Okay, let's see their plan for Han and Chewbacca's first meeting stayed the same. Lord and Miller came up with the idea of Hans speaking Wookie, which feels right. Also, yeah, they came up with the idea of Han and Kira kissing in Lando's cape closet. Yes.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, real kick right here where we saw Yeah, you know there's there's the essentially the the falcon has a you know what I say on it, the boots it's been booted. And so I remember when Lando initially he's like, I want fifty percent, and they talked him down to twenty five, and then to take the thing off, talked him down to twenty. You might say, this deal keeps getting worse all the time. That's hilarious. Would you have been up said if they had had him say that, you know, I would have been okay with that, even though that's just his thing. He's always in deal, like you never learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then we realize like, oh, maybe he's always on the losing end of things.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just always just really bad.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: By the way, we talked right past the fact that they found like an in cannon explanation for why Billy d always calls him hand yes, very funny, right, which is just initially you're like, oh, well that's just you know, that's just what he calls him. I guess you know, it's like, no, no, he Orlando's being a dick to him, and so that's like, yeah, their banter.
Speaker 1: I kind of love that. Yeah, I like that too. Also, speaking of when the deals getting worse for Orlando, I love where he's just kind of quiet for a second. He's like, I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but I accept it. That's a great line.
Speaker 2: That's mistaken. That might be the first use of the word ass in Star Wars.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, it popped out to me too. I think it might be. Also, it's kind of funny because they don't, yeah, use a lot of English curse words often. Yeah, so when they do it, it's always like, oh, fascinating.
Speaker 2: Actually, you know what I stand corrected in in the last Jedi podammer and talks about the big ass door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels right.
Speaker 2: No, right before, right right after the yo Mama joke that which also passed to that controversy. I believe nobody anything.
Speaker 1: Now this excuse me. This is when they started using I mean, guess now we call it the volume. I don't even know if we knew what it was called at this point, but they had yeah, they had these enormous screens, so they didn't have to put in green screen effect of the light speed, right, and so you can actually have the actors looking at that and reacting to what they're seeing and having the light dance on their faces. And I think it's amazing, the perfect use of it.
Speaker 2: I mean, imagine being those actors. You're sitting in that bridge, You're looking at that porthole, and you're seeing that effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh, how could you not have like a grin on your face that you just couldn't conjure Otherwise.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Nerd Boner, but I like your away.
Speaker 1: I forgot what that game is called. But the game table here with the holographic pieces of funny, you can see how discolored the ship becomes.
Speaker 2: I know, man, they really let it go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because here it's all new and white and shiny, and now at this moment is kind of nice.
Speaker 2: Did Jarik by the way, did Jarik?
Speaker 1: Niceeah? This resembles the moment with Han and Lea Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Honestly, which is an interrupted kiss on the falcon.
Speaker 1: I love it. It rhymes.
Speaker 2: That's like boch well, well, well, speaking of that, this moment here is one of the one of the the moments where they were shooting and George Lucas came to visit the set so he watched them. He watched them shooting, and one of his bits of direction ended up in the film.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what it was? I remember that anecdote, but I don't remember what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right there where we saw Hans take the cape and just toss.
Speaker 1: It to the side instead of laying it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like, Han wouldn't hang up Lando's cape?
Speaker 1: It does feel more Han.
Speaker 2: He's like, you guys are ruining Star Wars already, God damn it. And then he stormed off, and so as a courtesy, Ron Howard is like, I guess.
Speaker 1: We should do what he said. Yeah, Now see, I like this. I like that they are both in this moment together. Yeah you know what I mean, because.
Speaker 2: It just makes like like he doesn't have to push her too much, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, yeah, like she misses him too, and it's it's you know, bringing something back for her also, and it just makes it more tragic that it ultimately doesn't work out. Yeah, but if we knew from the start that she was a little removed and just kind of leading him along. It just wouldn't play right for me.
Speaker 2: See what I wonder about is what is the end of the Han.
Speaker 1: And Kira story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, because I have to believe that that's all done with before he meets Leah.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, definitely, yeah, you know, because I mean he gets his heart broken at the end of this one, and that is plenty. Like I can work with that. I can run with that and bring that into the other movies. But I think this you have to assume this was a planned trilogy, that's right, and so they must have had an even bigger heartbreak coming somehow exactly. But we do get her, you know, whether she wants to or not having to leave him at the end, and it hurts him, and that's at least we get that, so we can take that with us.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Donald Glover the anything I can get you and she's like equal rights and he's.
Speaker 2: Just just size and walks off. It's hilarious.
Speaker 1: So we're seeing the kessel run, right, We're going to We're going to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in that sense, this is a feature length version of the beginning of Indie three, right, Like it's it's like, what are all the Han solo things that we need to cram in? Well, good one crazy noon for Han, right right, right, right, He's got to get his blaster, he's got to meet Chewi, he's gotta do the Kessel run, he's got to get the falcon. I think that's basically it.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, okay, So now now I have a question for you. How do you feel about Lando having a possible romantic relate relationship with his joint.
Speaker 2: It's it's a choice, right, It's a choice.
Speaker 1: I I remember at the time trying to like roll with it a little bit like okay, but it's just like enough for me, or I'm like that seems kind of silly. Yeah, I leaning more silly than I'd like.
Speaker 2: I don't really understand it. It doesn't it doesn't strike me as necessary, but Zachie, it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, I agree, I mean that to me, And I don't know, we don't know exactly what Lord Miller did and what Roun Howard did, but that feels like a Lord and Miller like let's try this and that'd be kind of funny, you know, and then why not It's I don't know to make you laugh. Well, then it works, you know, kind of a thing, whether or not it feels like it ultimately makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well I okay, so this gets to to essentially, like what led to the their parting of ways, right, is that Laton Miller have a more or had I should say, because we're speaking in the in the wake of the stratospheric success of Project Hill Mary, which I think the word people would use to describe it is earnest mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So, so clearly they have the ability or they have since learned to navigate tones more more judiciously. But what what came to the fore here is that their their process involved a lot of improvising and a lot of foregrounding comedy and a lot of oh that's funny, go with that type of.
Speaker 1: Thing, or let's try this, why don't we try that, Let's try this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so sort of Judd Apatow school, you know, And that that led to Alden Ehrenreich going to the higher ups at Lucasfilm being like, I don't think this is working for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I don't remember if this quote came from him, but in one of those reports someone said at sometimes it felt like con was acting like Ace Ventura, like very muggy and goofy and strange, and that it was making a lot of people uncomfortable, like they were becoming concerned. Fascinating, right, But yeah, so now I'm starting to look at like articles I had read. Apparently Kazin's pretty diplomatic in his quotes, but according to.
Speaker 2: This is the senior Kasden.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, yes, Lawrence Kasin, but according to reports, he was getting pretty angry at like the screwball tone and sort of free wheeling approach they were taking to the script because he wanted the film shot the way it was written, right, let's see. According to a quote here, this is from the Wall Street Journal, unnamed actors from the film told the paper that Lord and Miller's approach exhausted and frustrated some of the solo set, including experienced crew members, who pressured the directors to move faster and then this right, and then this is well. They would shoot dozens of different versions of scenes strength from what was in the script. There's another quote then, Lawrence Kasden. This is him talking about realizing that the vision their vision wasn't matching his own. His quote says tone is everything to me, That's what movies are made of. But this was a very complicated situation. When you go to work in the morning on a Star Wars movie, there are thousands of people waiting on you, and you have to be very decisive and very quick about it. There are a million split second decisions to make each day. You are committing to a certain tone. Should any of the producers raise an issue, you're going to have trouble. So and then he says nobody was happy about what went down. Ultimately it was agony. So and then Emilia Clark has a quote here saying that the Lord and Miller this is the quot, seemed to be figuring it out as they went along. So well, I'd like.
Speaker 2: To believe that their experience on this led them to the success they've enjoyed on Projectail Mary.
Speaker 1: I wonder, you know, like like you said, like maybe they learned some lessons from it, like how far to push? Yeah, you know, and but then again, who's to say in the end they might not have found that place. They just seem like they want to experiment. They want to play around and capture a hundred different things and then find it in the edit right, right, and so maybe they would have been like, oh, we thought that would be funny, but when we see the whole, you know, all of it put together, it doesn't quite work like we thought. Don't know, but Kasin and Lucasfilm wasn't willing to take that bet, you know. I think.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean the fact that they shot this movie twice in essence as part of the reason why it would ended up being such a money pit, you know, I think, I mean, look, the original Star Wars films were relatively speaking, low budget compared to what we have now, right, And and that worked in the those movies favorite because you were you were you know, the sky was not the limit in terms of what you could accomplish and what you could spend, and having limitations to work within is a good thing, you know.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: By the way, I wanted to mention real quick Beckett wearing you know, the prison guard outfit that Lando wears later in Return of the Jedi. I kind of loved that Lando just had that sitting in a closet, just waiting for the right opportunity one day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like his his disguise.
Speaker 2: He's like, now's my time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, if we could revise Return of the Jedi, he might be like, oh faithful.
Speaker 2: Like like they're they're making the plan and Leah is like, Okay, uh Lando, we're gonna need you to and she like turns around and he's already like got the mask.
Speaker 1: On, right, right, got it right? But anyway, so apparently there was some break when they were moving from one location to another, and uh, let's see, a bunch of people reviewed the footage and didn't like how it was coming together, and so they decided to fire Lord and Miller and they had to bring someone in to not just finish the movie, but reshoot a major chunk of it. And so they got Ron Howard.
Speaker 2: I mean luckily he was available to you know, to come aboard.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That by itself is remarkable because he's a pretty busy guy. H And I mean he's he's a he's a journeyman, right, like we've talked about before, Like he doesn't necessarily have a distinct authorial stamp.
Speaker 1: M right.
Speaker 2: I don't know what makes a Ron Howard film, right, except that they tend to be watchable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's about it, you know. Yeah, So he I just I like this, by the way, so now we have well they're on Kessel, right, the Spice Minds of Kessel, which is we hear referenced in New Hope.
Speaker 2: Only spoken of in hush tones up until now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we get to see what that is. And I guess spice in the Star Wars universe is kind of like a drug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's obviously when Lucas came up with it, it was a little bit of a reference to Dune. Yeah, but now it's its own thing.
Speaker 1: Yep. So they're busting in to go get some unrefined coaxium to replace the ship Meentod they had to drop that got destroyed, and you know, l three basically goes in there and inspires a robot to rebel, and then she basically gets a whole droid rebellion going on. That just creates a bunch of casts, that's what we're saying. But I love as they're escaping now that Chewie sees some other Wookies being used as like slave labor, and he just can't let it go. And I was like, no, we gotta go, we gotta go, but chew He's like, I can't. And I love and I love the Hans like okay here and like gives them a weapon, you know, like go do what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's like, hey, you know, I hope I see you around yep, like he's never expecting to see him again.
Speaker 1: Yep. I just love that. I mean, this is just such a great mcguffin. It's just so understandable. It's cool, like we see it in this state where it's it's stable and it's bright and it's kind of this cool white looking, you know, whitish blue color. But then later when it's becoming unstable, it's like looking like inky and kind of like, oh, that's not good, right, you know it's it's hilarious the Lando Chronicles or the Calarisian Chronicles. Chronicles, So anyway, Ron Howard.
Speaker 2: This by the way, real quick, he's referencing a story. There was also a series of Lando novels. Oh really yeah, so he's he's just like the Shahnu or the Chahroux or something like that. That's like one of the Lando Calrisian novels.
Speaker 1: Oh that's hilarious. I love that. That's great. If you'd read those books, you feel really seen. Yeah exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also like by the way that Lando is wearing, Like that's the same shirt or color I should say that he wears in Rise of Skywalker.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't even remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wears like the mustard colored shirt.
Speaker 1: How funny. Yeah. I just think this is a great set piece. And then it's like, you got all that stuff, but the difficulty of getting it out. But then because they helped the Wookies, then the Wookies, you know, helped push the stuff out. I don't know, it's just well done. Chew. He still got us back. Mm hmm. So all right, going back Ron Howard, he's brought in. This is from an interview he did with Vulture dot Com. It's a little lengthy, but I'll try to read it.
Speaker 2: Was the interview contemporaneous to the or is it after the fact?
Speaker 1: After the fact. I think this was a little portion of a longer interview about his career. So, uh, this is Ron Howard. He said, I like Solo a lot too, but that also underperformed and was affected by behind the scenes drama. I'd always been curious about Star Wars, and Solo landed in my lap when I didn't have another movie set to go. My wife, Cheryl and I were vacationing in Paris. I went to London to see Hans Zimber play at the O two, and I reached out to Kathy Kennedy just to say hi, and she said, do you want to come and have breakfast? Can you imagine like she gets like a little text from Ron Howard, She's like, hey, come over. I said, okay. John Kazden eventually showed up. They basically said, we've reached a creative impast with Lord and Miller. Would you ever consider coming in. I looked at some edited footage and I saw what was bothering them. There was a studio that liked the script the way it was and wanted a Star Wars movie, but there was a disconnect early on tonally, and they weren't convinced that what Phil and Chris were doing was working effectively. I couldn't judge that because I didn't see enough of it to know, but they were sure. Once I said okay, I think I can do this script, and I think I understand what you want of this script, they said, we'd want to reshoot a lot. I looked at the whole movie and then pointed out some things that I thought were great, and Phil and Chris were incredibly gracious throughout that process. They were just seeing two different movies. So I came in, I had a blast, and there's nothing personal about that whatsoever. It's still just a shame. I can't wait for Phil and Chris's next movie. And then the interviewer says, what did George Lucas tell you? And Ron Howard says, I talked to him once early when I was just thinking about doing it. He wasn't active on the films, but he said, just don't forget it's for twelve year old boys. So pretty diplomatic, but also I think, you know, and interesting glips.
Speaker 2: I just I mean, I mean, honestly, it feels like that foul up rests with the producers.
Speaker 1: That's me.
Speaker 2: Because there should have been clarity well before cameras rolled about what parameters the directors were playing within.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially if you are familiar with their style of every movie they've made before.
Speaker 2: Right, because because if you're Lord and Miller, you're like, well, you hired us because you've seen our reel, you know, And so their assumption, unless they're told otherwise, is just do your thing, you know, and keep in mind I mean this was the same year, you know, a few months after this movie came out, was into the Spider Verse, all right, which Lord and Miller.
Speaker 1: Did, yep, which also, you know, based on reports, has a very free willing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, actually because this the third one, you know, is just it went from oh, it's coming out in six months to you'll see it when you see it, shut the hell.
Speaker 1: Up exactly yep. But yeah, but you can also kind of imagine, especially in this moment where like we said, we didn't have the shows. Even the scores at this point are still trying to sound like John Williams, and I think they've given up on that now at this point. Yeah, a lot of things in Star Wars felt sacris saying you know, that's right, and so they probably thought, well, like, well, yeah, we're going to hire Ryan Johnson, we're gonna hire Lord Miller, We're gonna hire these people. But you're gonna make Star Wars. You're not making a Lord Miller movie. That's well that's not a defense, by the way, but I'm just imagining that's what was in their heads.
Speaker 2: No, I get it, you know, I just think that, you know the sense of like, oh, We've got all the money in the world. Oh yeah, we got to reshoot the movie again, no problem, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they reshot seventy percent. Yeah, that's how much Ron Howard shot seventy percent of this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's part of that is like necessitated by guild rules, so that, you know, determining who gets credit for a film. Well, that's that's that's kind of amateur hour, you know, like how do you how do you not figure this stuff out ahead of time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I wonder. I mean, I'm a Kathleen Kennedy fan because she has produced not only some of the my favorite films ever, but just some of the greatest films of the like last forty plus years. Right, And however, she has worked with world class directors.
Speaker 2: Like I was about to say, right, Like right, I think you take for granted when like Steven Spielberg is who you work with most of the time, you know.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, who have very clear voices and know exactly the movie they're making, right yep.
Speaker 2: And when you think about it, I mean, the the It's interesting how depending on the film, the role of a producer or director can be flipped right, Like when it came to the Star Wars prequels, George Lucas was the director. Rick McCollum is the producer. But Rick McCallum's job was to do whatever George Lucas wanted. But when it came time to the sequels, the onus shifted because it was the producer's job to really make sure this entire thing was coming together, you know, and it was the director's job to execute the producer's vision, right right. I like how in this sequence when we see the starter stories, we hear the the Empire music from a New.
Speaker 1: Hope which never comes back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I think we hear it in a rogue one, sure, but yeah, you know because once, once Williams came up with the with the Imperial March for for for Empire strikes back. Well gosh, it was so good that they had to adopt it in Universe.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right, that's right. That is literally the Empire's theme, and I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the Kessel Run, you know, famously, this is like, uh it all it's all born of of what I have to imagine was just a mistake in the original film, which is.
Speaker 1: Why I made.
Speaker 2: The Kessel Run in less than twelve parsex and you say, well, a parsec is uh, you know, a distance, not time. And so Lucas, I mean I remember him talking about it in the commentary for a New Hope. He's like, well, no, because you have to plot the course. And so if you plot the course and you know, it's all your your skill as a pilot is how skillfully can you plot the course? And I'm like, bro, that's like all bullshit, but I give you all the credit in the world. That is like impressive bullshit. So so golf clap for your bullshit, right right, right, Jedi Master Lucas, you know, and and so you know, I don't think he ever thought it would have to be you know, actualized. And it's all a bunch of Hunker Morker anyway, it doesn't make a look of sense. Whatever, It's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is uh speaking of like the music, kind of the greatest hits. M yeah, yeah, we get the New Hope music and then when we've got.
Speaker 2: Their dog in the asteroid field later, yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, I will say I do yeah real quick.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know when you look at the falcon with the with the escape pod in the mandible, yes, right, and and I was thinking, I like how the film makes clear to say that that itself was a retrofit that Lando made. Hmmm, because if you remember, we see the millennium falcon in Revenge of the Syth and it looks.
Speaker 1: Like, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It looks like our falcon.
Speaker 1: You know. Oh that's so funny.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about that specifically, say no, that was a change that Lando made, so it happened after that.
Speaker 1: Is really funny. I remember when this movie was coming out, they created a life sized falcon that looked like this with the pod up front on Hollywood Boulevard for the premiere really and so I was working at Puppy Dog Pals at the time, and this other writer, Gene, and I were like, we got to go see it, and so on like a lunch break or something. We got in a car, we drove down there and we got high up. I have pictures of us. It's it's magical, Like you're just standing next to a life size millennium falcon. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: That's surreal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very cool.
Speaker 2: That's what That's what there is in galaxies Edge.
Speaker 1: Now, right, that's true. Yeah, I guess I think I especially have those feelings because that was before that, so that was like the first time I got to stand next to the falcon. But yes, they have a recreated Millennium Falcon at Galaxies Edge and it's so.
Speaker 2: Cool, really amazing, so that you've been there, Yes, you can't go inside.
Speaker 1: Uh no, it's it's like a big prop. I mean it looks very very good. But then you know there's a ride. I forgot what the ride's called. But you get to pilot the falcon and go on a mission. So yeah, so you do get to feel like you're walking through its halls at one pass and sit in the cockpit. I see, I see. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it just going back to what we were talking about earlier, the whole Lando L three thing, like his emoting over her death struck me as odd because I'm like, well, it's a droid. I mean, like, don't don't they repair droids all the time in these things? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well I guess see, yes, And what they end up doing is they take her I don't know what you call it, her hard drive or something, and they plug it into the falcon falcon so they can use her maps to figure out the quickest way to get out of this situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that she was forcibly enslaved for the rest of her existence, just like she would have wanted.
Speaker 1: It's great. Yeah, it's like that Black Mirror episode where the people's consciousnesses are put into like a hard drive somewhere and it's like, are you really alive or you just like in some sort of weird hell. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, especially for L three, whose whole thing is like droid freedom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, Oh what this is a terrible story. That's like an O Henry story for her.
Speaker 2: That's right. She instigated a robot rebellion only to be enslaved for all of existence.
Speaker 1: That is kind of like tragically beautiful in a story sense. I mean, I don't love it. That's not the ending I want for her, but like kind of works as a dark tragedy. But to your point, Lando could be putting up a more of a fight about doing that because that and she's never coming back. Ah see, Oh that's good, right, Like maybe there is the hope that it's like okay, okay, I mean she's really messed up, but maybe we could repair her. It's like now we need her maps.
Speaker 2: But really, see this all works out because because you know, they're trying to save Lando from himself. Also, right, they're like, there's a guy he's sticking his wiener and toasters. We know what he's doing. This is this is good for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got a nice human girl we can introduce you to like maybe you know, like when you're ready, when you're ready, Morton, as long as you need. So, okay, part of me, I've wondered why I'm doing that, that Fred Armison thing that Sean always accuses me of. So the one of the thing about that, well, let me begin with what I'm trying to say is I think this movie has been reappraised. Sure, you know, in the years after it's come out.
Speaker 2: See I would argue it has been appraised because it was not watched.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, Sure, but people were a little like mixed dish kind of positive on it, I think when it came out. But I think people now are like, you know, this is like a great adventure. Yeah, And I've always felt that way, you and I both. But I do think maybe one of the reasons that this movie hasn't stuck as much as it could have is it's a good story. But I don't know that it has like the punchy set pieces that some of the other Star Wars movies have. Yeah, and I would mainly point to this one, which is I don't understand what they're doing or where they're going.
Speaker 2: No, I would agree, I think this is the least interesting of our set pieces.
Speaker 1: Which is terrible because this is the Kessel run, Like this should be the set piece, right, I mean, the train set piece I've already said I think is amazing and well executed, and like everything I was praising about that set piece does not apply to this one. I don't know where they are. I don't know where they're going. I don't even know what it are. They in a cave like it seems kind of like that at the end when he has to turn the ship on its side. But all this is just real what we talk about, that sort of cgi gobbledy go. I think it's.
Speaker 2: Meant to foreground Hans skill.
Speaker 1: Which I think is on display. Well here this I understand where this whirlpool sort of situation.
Speaker 2: And I gotta say whether it's on display or not, I would not know, but for the fact that earlier in the movie, right before Rio died, he said you're one hell of a pilot, and I said, now, I know if that had not been said, yeah, I'd be totally adrift, right right right. In Star Wars, you have to say somebody is one hell of a pilot. Otherwise it's just lost.
Speaker 1: How do we know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's just like basic language and Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But you know, like to me, it's just too much.
Speaker 2: It's too much, becomes too much, and and it going back to what we were saying earlier, it feels a little bit like box checking because I personally I don't really care about ever seeing the Kessel run. To me, just hearing about it is enough, right, Yeah, So it feels like, well, we got what we got to show the Kessel run, so we're doing it.
Speaker 1: You know. But even if you call it whatever you want to call it, I mean, when they're trying to evade the tie fighters, they're literally just in like indistinguishable cgi gobbledygook. Yeah, And this is where I think it finally comes together, where they're like, there's this whirlpool or what do they call it, like a black hole well or something right that is pulling them down as something is closing ahead them and we just know they need to get out of that poll and they can use the mcguffin that they've gotten. Like that makes sense. That's the only part of this that is understandable to me, and that's why the ending is very exciting. But I wish that I don't know, maybe they're navigating like a really narrow trench and they've you know, he's got to be really good at maneuvering or something like something that I can see and understand. I think would make that whole seconds better better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I once, once you just have a bunch of cgi gleap clop, I tend to start being like, okay, let's move to the next thing, you know.
Speaker 1: And it really makes you appreciate the asteroid field sequence from like almost forty years earlier, right right when they had so much less to work with. But you can see it's more right, and you can see the danger, and you can see the falcon whoa going right? Whoa bank left? You know, and we see the danger with the tie fighters colliding into those asteroids, you know, and as the falcon swoops past them. So I just it's amazing that something forty years older kind of works.
Speaker 2: No, I guess say now, now this is a callback slash call forward that I do like, what's that?
Speaker 1: I hate you?
Speaker 2: I know, I know that's great, that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it, and I do love seeing the ship all beaten up and yeah we got like a real love hate thing here now with yah han.
Speaker 2: See, this is where I would have liked to see more more adventures of these two you know one.
Speaker 1: You know, by the way, did you know how Alden Ehrenreich was discovered. No, he was discovered by Steven Spielberg. He was wow. Yeah, he was fourteen years old and uh he was in like a home movie that he and his friends had made that was being shown at a bot mitzvah and Spielberg was there and was like, hey, who's that guy and got him an agent and launched his career. Well look at that, and he has a pretty insane start. I mean, his first couple movies are with Francis Ford Coppola. He was in tetro and TwixT, and then he was in Stoker, and he was in Blue Jasmine Woody Allen movie before you know when people are still watching them, and he's in the Coen Brothers Hail Caesar, he's in Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer, He's in Weapons.
Speaker 2: He has had a pretty solid post solo career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not someone I feel like he's really broken through, but he's been in a lot of it. Impressive.
Speaker 2: You're working like again, he got Oppenheimer on your resume. You're doing okay, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, especially with Nolan, who seems to have a company that he works with, you got to feel like when he brings you in, you're like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, yeah, maybe maybe he'll be one of the sirens in the Odyssey.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Uh. He Also he was in iron Heart, uh, the the Marvel series, Okay, and he's quite good. He plays the son of Obadiah Stain Ah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, and he was good in it.
Speaker 2: That show was good. It didn't get talked about very much, but it was good.
Speaker 1: I kind of remember you saying that, Yeah, yeah, here we go desert.
Speaker 2: There's something to be said for for actual locations, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's there's something about Star Wars and sand I don't know what it is, but it just feels right. It feels right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that, like you said, you know, the plan. The whole p had been maybe not the plan to be like to have this film stake out a lane for more dips back into you know, character origins and stuff, and it really sucks that this one underperforming just made them COI bos the whole thing because you know, you and I we talked about this before. Obi wan Kenobi should have.
Speaker 1: Been a movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely, it would have been better for it, you know, h so and fits nest here. You know, up to this point we're thinking of as a rival gang or what have you.
Speaker 1: But it's the.
Speaker 2: Progenitors of the Rebellion, which I like a lot. I think it's smart, you know, h it's very funny. He's like that that that feels like a Lord and Miller moment, doesn't it. Where he's definitely I'll give him a signal a com and then right then the falcon takes off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like the thirty armed men just ready to come out of my order and then it takes off. But that also feels very hon it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's very cartoon like, isn't it. By the way, him stepping away from the line and then having to slowly step back like, sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: That's very funny. Yeah, but yeah, I think this is a good twist and it goes a long way and helping us understand Hans's character. You know, Kira says it like, you know, I know something about you that.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, an fis nest is a look a cook a girl. That's the look on Hans's face right there. Now, this is Aaron Kellyman playing basically the same role she would play like two years later in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. She was leader of the flag smashers.
Speaker 1: I forget got all about that. Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: It's just basically that that's her deal. She's just like the the misunderstood revolutionary.
Speaker 1: You know that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's got she's got a laying after herself.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, this does look good though. You can see real wind blowing things.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what was so so desperately out of whack in the Obi Wan Kenobi Show. Speaking of which, right, like that was the first time where I was like, guys, knock it off with the volume.
Speaker 1: Holy shit. Yeah that movie looks very cheap that same movie series yeah, series, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like yeah, low budget and stretched out, which is weird. I'm like talking past myself here because I'm like, you know, low budget can be good sometimes, and I think there there's like a middle ground between you know, shoot everything on a sound stage and have a bunch have a couple of crates in front of the camera, you know, and infinity dollars. I feel like there's like a middle ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all about the blend, that's right. Blend.
Speaker 2: So I'd like to believe that Warwick Davis is playing the same character he was in Phantom Menace.
Speaker 1: I read that he was, but I can't confirm that. But I saw that somewhere.
Speaker 2: You know, what if that's my head? Can I think timeline wise that works right because Phantom Menace is like twenty years before this, right, Like what is it like Phantom Menace would be? When would that be?
Speaker 1: Actually?
Speaker 2: This is this is this is see I this is where like the Star Wars nerds listening are like, goddamn it, Mbby or whatever the hell. I think it's about twenty years after Phantom Menace. I think that checks out right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, just go with it, Like I know this is about ten years before Star Wars right, because so that that that gave him about ten years worth of story to play with before we're supposed to meet him in most icley right right.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: I think to your point that you were making about about Woody Harrelson, I think I just think of Woody Harrelson as a great actor, you know, and he does have a persona, but he also I mean, like he was in the Planet of Apes movie like a year before this, remember, and he was a great villain, you know. Yeah, And I mean I hope I'm being clear, Like he does work for me, I do Harrelson. Just admit it, Just admit it. You've never liked him, You've always resented his success.
Speaker 1: That's how deep it goes. Yeah, Like I personally hate it's not his performances, like I no, but I I don't know. Sometimes it's hard for me to lose myself in it occasionally, but he is doing a very good job. So that's just the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think he is the exact actor you want to play a character like Beckett, where he's just likable enough where you like, maybe he's like one of our scoundrels, right.
Speaker 1: Totally, And even if he does fire at you with his weapon at some point and misses, and he goes, can you know, can't blame a guy for trying, You're like you, you know what I mean, He's one of those people that can kind of pull that off.
Speaker 2: That's a short list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe maybe you gotta with Loody Harrelson.
Speaker 2: I remember when I when I talked to Stephen Weber on the Nostav's Theater show like many many moons ago, and you know, we were talking about when he was on Wings and how Thomas Hayden Church played like the lovable dufus on that show, right, And I talked to him about how it's funny how like to Thomas Aden Church on Wings and Woody Harrelson on Cheers, we're both kind of doing that, right, and both of these guys are like two of our great actors.
Speaker 1: Now. Yeah, yeah, it's just weird how that works, you know. I do remember it was strange when Woody Harrelson did Natural Born Killers, because up to that, I mean, it was like White Men Can't Jump, where he's still playing kind of a charming guy with a drawl and doc Hollywood charming guy or a drawl, you know, but then playing this sociopath in that movie was like, what, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Compete that that helped, you know, turn the ship of his career to some extent, totally totally just up for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, cocky is and just some more self assured and vocal He vocalizes so much, and I love that. We know that Han won't be like that later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, youthful, youth is wasted on the young Abraham Lincoln said that, did he really say that? No, no, no, sorry, I was trying to make a bad joke. And then I picked someone that sounded too credible. Sorry about that. That does sound like something he would say, right, I know, I picked a man who was full of good quotes, like an idiot or Mark Twain might have been in the same vein where it's like Mark Twain, I could see, yeah like Twain Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, see, I just love this friendly, ominous energy that Dryden gives.
Speaker 2: That's what's great, right, Like the whole thing where he's like, oh, just open it up. You're like, oh shit, I don't know what he's doing, but he's doing something. Uh huh, I just bring it here, the show me what I got, you know, Like it's yeah, Paul bettney Man. He's such a good actor.
Speaker 1: Yes, very effortless. And this whole triangle situation is very interesting here because we've seen Kira genuinely you know, on Han's side. Yeah, and we know that she is also loyal to Dryden. This is just a lot of complicated dynamics happening here and double crossing, and it's I just this is really rich.
Speaker 2: I think that what becomes clear is that Kira when when she leaves at the end, that's a sacrifice that she's making, yes, not a betrayal. Yeah, right, Like I think that's important. And that's what I mean when I say I would have liked to see the culmination of that storyline. You know, it's a shame, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I agree. Also feels very hard to bring this stuff in. He's like Crates with the goods inside and then the bad guy. He'd be like show me, and he's like show you. You want to see him? Sure, But then it also feels still feels very hard for him to lift the lid so the camera can see he's got a gun hidden in the lid. Yep, he's thinking ahead.
Speaker 2: I remember when Alden Aroon Reich was out You know, doing the making the press rounds for this and you know, Ron Howard brought in Harrison Ford like behind him to surprise him during one of these junkets, and it was just you know, they had obviously spoken before, but having Harrison Ford right there just being like, I'm so I loved it so much. I'm so proud of what he did and the choices he made. Like can you imagine being this young actor and here's Harrison Ford telling you you did you did great with my character? No, Like, what is that? You know what I mean? Like, like you can see the footage of it, and you can just see sort of all a whole a whole panoply of emotions going over Aaron Reich's face.
Speaker 1: You know, that's great. I just thought that was really cool.
Speaker 2: Double crosses, double crosses, and then and then the double crosses of the double crosses.
Speaker 1: Exactly by the way, just kind of looking at my notes again. Uh, we haven't talked about the fact that John Williams wrote a theme for Han Solo. Finally, after all these years for this movie.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about how for for Solo and for Obi and Kenobi he came back and wrote themes for these characters and and then you hear them and you're like, well, of course that's the Han solo thing.
Speaker 1: Mm hm oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh and I asked the Obi wan kenobe theme. It's always been the obi wan kenobi theme, you know.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's just that's the master still at work, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yep. Yeah. And I guess Ron Howard had worked with him once before on Far and Away. Ah. Yes, kind of a forgotten movie.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I had forgot about that movie.
Speaker 1: I remember liking it, but I haven't seen it since the nineties.
Speaker 2: That's the I mean, Unfortunately, I feel like that's like many Ron Howard movies where you're like, oh, that was good. I haven't seen it, you.
Speaker 1: Know yeaheah, sort of like backdraft and that's good. It's been a while. The paper, the paper, Yeah, yeah, that's a good one. Paul thirteen, which I hadn't seen in a while till we did the commentary and then we rewatch it and I'm like, this is amazing.
Speaker 2: Ron Ron Howard's best, I would say, is.
Speaker 1: A Paul thirteen.
Speaker 2: That's me agreed, you know, Yeah, now that I think of it. He worked with Paul Bettany on diving code, which is probably how that you know, that's how he got into the Rolodex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or was it a Beautiful Mind? Was that the first one.
Speaker 2: Was da Vinci code after Beautiful Mind? Oh it was, yeah, Beautiful Mind was like two thousand.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, sometimes I forgot.
Speaker 2: I forgot he's in Beautiful Mind.
Speaker 1: Another one where I'm like, I think that one's pretty good. I haven't seen it in two thousand.
Speaker 2: He's the imaginary friend, right right.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that's where Bettany met Jonnifer Connley.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna. I was like, that must be where they met. Yeah, yeah, that bastard he wins at life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, right, jeez. Yeah, this these.
Speaker 2: Creature is kind of what you're talking about. You can tell that it's it's prosthetic, so maybe some digital enhancement on it. But it looks great.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: The old ways still work just fine.
Speaker 1: Mm hm. H Han Han had a plan taken out Dryden's guys.
Speaker 2: See, I think you know this is this is a conversation you and I have had before about how Han Solo has become such the archetype of like the rogue with the heart of gold, right, and it you know so many characters since you're like, oh, it's like a Han Solo type, right, and it's like, well, there had to have been one before Hans Solo, huh, But I can't think of one on the top of my head, you know.
Speaker 1: I know. It could be that phenomenon that we talk about where the stuff we grew up with somehow has never gone away, right, just keeps being remade or sequels are made for them, whereas the influences have not you know, carried forwards for something. Yeah, so yeah, I mean there's some careacter that Lucas had in mind. I'm sure he was inspired by, right, something he watched when he was a kid, but I'm not sure who that character is. Could be someone he knows.
Speaker 2: See, I always thought he had a ham salad and he was like ham salad, Ham salad, and then and then you know, that's how.
Speaker 1: We got.
Speaker 2: That's that's my Bohemian Rhapsody style biopic movie of yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, well that did actually happen a lot to him, right, But that's where R two D two came from.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone talking about a reel of sound like it was real too. Dialogue too he's like, say that you r two D two. Yeah. And then in the movie TX eleven thirty eight, an actor had a friend whose last name was Wookie, and so he like improvised a line where he's like, I think it ran over a key or something like that, and Lucas was like, say that again. And so you know, I mean there's a lot of the George Lucas in Love parody you know that happened in like ninety nine, right, was like a riff on Shakespeare in Love where he just all these things happening around him at usc Inspire, the Star Wars films. It's kind of true. So I love it.
Speaker 2: Ham salads, that's that's my origin story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, but anyway, yeah, all this this dynamic here and now here's got Han pinned and but she's gonna eventually take out. Like I just all this just works for me. Well, I love that.
Speaker 2: Like you look at Emilia Clark's face right there, and she looks sinister, right, like she might kill him that right, and yet she's just able to navigate both lanes so effectively because when she smiles, I mean, you just feel yourself melting, you know. I also think. I mean, Paul Bettney is you know, relatively wiry, you know, yeah, and yet he's able to come off as like physically intimidating.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This, by the way, you should mention this. This martial art. It's Terraskasi, which which I remember from the video game Masters of Tarras Cossi. Oh interesting, which is like Star Wars Street Fighter.
Speaker 1: Oh funny. When was that from?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, late nineties. I want to say mid nineties. It's like it has that blockie like you remember Virtue a Fighter, Yes, where it's like, you know, it doesn't look like it's not it's not Street Fighter, Immortal Kombat. It's kind of blocky.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it was like that.
Speaker 2: But it's like, oh, you want to have like Boba Fett and Han Sol will fight each other martial arts styles, and so that was Star Wars.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. There's just so much to draw from, Yeah, all these movies, right, And I talked about this when I worked on Young Jedi. You know, we had a low person in every you know, story break who's just their job was to know everything about Star Wars. There's just so much to know. So if you are going to go to a certain sort of planet or if you want a certain well this person is a great fighter. You know, they could be like, oh, well there's a special sort of version of martial arts that they would then be trained in. You should call it the right thing, you know, kind of nice. Yeah, it's very cool.
Speaker 2: I mean in the nineties, I'm going to say, like you know pre yeah, like before the prequels and everything started getting standardized, you had this It was like a you know, when did Air did the Empire come out? That was like ninety one, I think, right, So, okay, we had like an eight year run where Star Wars suddenly came back and they were just doing all kinds of stuff mm hmm. And that was a lot of fun, you know, because it was you know, they had the Shadows of the Empire all of that. They had the video game and everything, and you know, they had they had the Super Star Wars and super impressed for the ans, right, and they were stupid, like you had Luke running through the deserts a tattoo and shooting scorpions and stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm so dumb, but I loved it, right, Like it was the closest thing to feeling like the movies, playing the movies.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying, right, It was like that was that was a fun era where it was just kind of just putting it all out there, you know. So this this uh stuff with Darth Maul, Honestly, they they've largely left it, left it to wither on the vine, with the exception of the Mall Shadow Lord series. Now mm hmmm, so it took them a little while to circle back to it. But uh, it's a shame because this part, this this mall part, is the only thing that seems to be gesturing towards a cliffhanger in this movie, you know what I mean, Like everything else, you can just sort of be like, well, we don't need to see another one because you know, Han and Chewie have the falcon and off they go, you know. But this here, it's like, well, this demands some kind of follow up, you know. Yeah, it was nice that they got ray Park back. Yes for him, that was a solid nineteen year wait to reprise the role.
Speaker 1: Right. It is kind of funny how just in case you're not entirely sure who that is, he has to like have his double bladed.
Speaker 2: Although what's interesting is they made sure to pay attention to Cannon because that's the that's the double bladed lightsaber that he has in Clone Wars and Rebels and not in the original movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, good catch. But you know what I mean just sort of like you got it, like this is my thing that you know, it's me. I'm going to do it during my phone call right now.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is that that sequence that we saw with Maul originally was shot with Peter saraph Inowitz doing the voice or not shot. It was like he had originally recorded the voice. He did the voice in episode one, but it was replaced by Sam Whitwaer, who does the voice in all the animated shows.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, why is that? I guess they just.
Speaker 2: Figured they want to be consistent with the animation instead of like that's an interesting choice, is my point? Right? Like I feel bad for sarah Inowitz because I know he was kind of upset about that.
Speaker 1: Oh really yeah, well maybe yeah, if that's what in the animation currently what most people were hearing, they were like, well, this is what people want to they'll connect with, so.
Speaker 2: Here first, Yeah exactly. I think this was the moment when Lucas stormed off the set was the right thing. Yeah, I go, you asshole, and then he just left.
Speaker 1: But you know what I love about it is that Han shoots first. But it's like a real uh like, you know, have your cake and eat a two moment, because Beckett's just like, I'm glad you did that, kid. I'm really proud of you.
Speaker 2: I'm proud of your son, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's like, it's okay, right, guys, he's looking at the audience. It's I'm okay with this. Hans shot first.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the way, I didn't mention I like how Chewy has the double bandolier on this action figure or I mean this in this movie.
Speaker 1: Wait, what about it?
Speaker 2: He's got like the double strap, you know, so that you can distinguish which which toy you're buying.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious, like Malibu Stacey and her new hat exactly.
Speaker 2: This is this is double bandolier Chewie.
Speaker 1: That is hilarious, by the way. But I think they do a good job of though. Is you know, Beckett does have his finger on the trigger. He's gonna shoot, you know, so Han does have show.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean anything if he doesn't say m clunky, Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is great. This is like a real This is Han becoming Han, that's right, having to kill his mentor and seeing the love of his life leave him and that that heartbreak on his face as he watches or Go, and then.
Speaker 2: Chewy is his best friend for life, yep, putting his paw on his shoulder. And I love Han and Chewy, you know, yeah, two of them together A what a pair, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And obviously from the movies that we grew up watching and that's why we feel that way. It's great. But I feel like that moment is a real potent connection for them, Like I feel the same feelings from the other movies in that moment, like Chewy's gonna be always be there for Han, and I don't know Han realizing the chew He's going to be there for him, maybe the only person who's going to be there for him.
Speaker 2: Well to me, you know, I mean, there's always something extra heartbreaking about Chewie's scream when Han gets stabbed in the chest, right yeah, because here's his friend for all these decades gone, you know, yep. So what I love about this is in essence, Han is like, you know, he's like an early adopter of the rebellion. He's like an early investor. Yeah, but nobody knows, like, which makes it extra funny when Lea is like, your reward is all you care about? And he should be like, woman, who do you think pay for all this?
Speaker 1: But again it's it's he also wants to have this facade, right, you know, he's like trying to create his own mythology a little bit about even just the way I love that when she invites him and he just gives that silent nah kind of headshake that he's not going to join them. But Kira says earlier, you know, I know something about you, literally no one else knows, which is you're the good guy. He's a good guy. You're the good guy. He doesn't maybe even believe it about himself, but he is.
Speaker 2: See, if nothing else, I would have liked a sequel so we could explain why Chewy loses that second Bandalier. I just wanted like two hours of that of Chewy like scratching, like it's like uncomfortable, and he just keeps wrestling with it, right finally tears it off, and I was like, so that's why he doesn't happen right right, right now, I get it. So, Brian, is it just me or did this movie just fly by?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Yeah, this is like two hours fifteen minutes. But I thought about the time once.
Speaker 2: I'm like, holy shit, we're already here. He's about to win the falcon again. I love by the way, that that when he said fair and square. You know, the implication that we now realize is that Lando is a goddamn.
Speaker 1: Cheat, right, Yeah, we see it in the middle of the movie. Yeah. Yeah, he's got cards up his sleeve, but Hans wise to it now plucked it out of his sleeve, and he does win the falcon fair and square. By the way, is this the first time Peter Mayhew has not played Chew Bacca for like a full film?
Speaker 2: I think, if I'm not mistaken, the last time he played Chewy was Force Awakens, Okay, and that was only for a portion of it, right, and this this is a finish actor.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say his name incorrectly and I apologize, but Eunice.
Speaker 2: It's Yonis Suatomo.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, he was a professional basketball player. He's six foot eleven, yeah, and I guess he was a Yeah.
Speaker 2: He shared he shared it with Peter Mayhew in the first one in Force Awakens, and then he took over after that.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, he does a good job. I mean, you you don't think about it, but the physicality really does convey a personality, and I feel like he does feel like Chewbacca. I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's it's tricky, you know. I mean I said before that it wasn't until I watched Rogue one that I realized there were certain parts of that performance that were unique to David Prow's.
Speaker 1: M m yes, visa b Darth Vader, you know.
Speaker 2: So it is. It's it's not as simple as just a toll guy putting on a suit, you know.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So here we go off to Star Wars Solo too. Oh wait, never mind.
Speaker 1: Ah, man, make make the the limited series, come on, do something.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know they were talking about doing Orlando something or other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that's even written.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't you know. I hope some of these projects do end up materializing. I think it's a very big galaxy, far far away that I would love to spend more time. And I think as we record this, of course, we're on the eve of Mandalorian and Grogu coming out, and if that movie performs, then hopefully we see more, you know, yep. If it doesn't perform, then well we'll be we'll be coming back on Mike and very sheepestly explaining why we well, never mind, but you know, this is this was this was fun. I have to say that brief window shortly after Disney made the purchase and it was like, oh and We've got all these stories we want to tell. I mean that was exciting.
Speaker 1: Mm hm, you know.
Speaker 2: And then to some extent the fact that this movie, I mean, you must have the access to the numbers, right, I mean, what what did this cost versus what did it take in?
Speaker 1: Well, estimated budget was two hundred and seventy five million. Who knows in the US it gross two hundred and thirteen million, so not even to make it special back in the US. Yeah, and for a Star Wars film in that moment, I mean, The Force Awakens I think is the highest grossing domestic movie of all time. Yeah, at almost a billion. So for this to only make two hundred and thirteen million in the US not great. Just two years later yep, and worldwide gross is three hundred ninety two million.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I mean that's a catastrophe. There's there's no way to spin that.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So I mean, what what do we chalk that up to?
Speaker 1: That's a really good question. I don't know. I mean, you and I will show up for all of it.
Speaker 2: So I well, I was thinking about how this came out a few weeks after Avengers Infinity War, which was sucking up a lot of the oxygen, and then you had Gadpool two just before this or just after I can't remember, but you know, I think most folks don't go to movies every week. Yeah, yeah, and you have to figure that an Avengers movie is not it. That's a family thing, that's like the whole clan goes mm hmm. Right. So let's say you're spending one hundred plus dollars to take your family to Avengers Infinity War. Do you want to do that again three weeks later for a Star Wars movie?
Speaker 1: That and also, pretty much up until this point, not counting Rogue one, Star Wars was always like, well we got to see what happens next. Yeah, you know what I mean, And this wasn't something that was leading, you know, coming off of something or leading into anything next. It just felt like this random thing floating around, So maybe there wasn't an urgency for it. And on top of it, it didn't have any of the faces you associate with Star.
Speaker 2: Wars, right, So that bet that this character you love will be enough to get people in the in the door that was That was a mistake. We also have to reckon with the fact that the last Jedi had certainly a polarizing response being generous and oh and this came months after That's what I'm saying. This is the shortest gap ever between Star Wars movies. It was like six months I remember that now, yeah, right, or five months, right? I think you know all those factors. I think it was like, well, we just saw Star Wars. We didn't like the last one that much anyway, you know, I honestly, I think Disney got greedy just with the whole the whole assembly line nature, where we're just going to be cranking these suckers out and dropping them every year. I think they overestimated the willingness of of average folks to keep showing up. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spacing it out would have helped a little more patient. I think so.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is like the eternal question. Well, if they had released it in December of twenty eighteen instead of May, would it have done better? I don't know, but I would place money on that.
Speaker 1: Yes, when in case you were wondering, because I was rogue. One made a billion at the worldwide box office and five hundred and thirty two million North American and that's coming a year after Force Awakened. So everybody likes Force Awakens. We're high on Star Wars. Waited a year and we get another one and you make a billion dollars. But at this point we had received more. Like you said last Jed, I was a little polarizing. This came out just months after. It doesn't have any recognizable faces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so you know, I mean it's at this point it's all academic, but I think it's very possible it was like four different factors all working in conjunction to make people not want to watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I don't think it was even like, oh like that looks like crap, I don't want to see it. I think it was like I'll watch it when I watch it, you know, yeah, sure, And you know this gets look Marvel was enjoying a very good run at around the time this movie did not do well. But even Marvel obviously has had its lull, right, And I think it just look, everything that goes up is going to come down, right, And and you know, scarcity is not the worst idea in the world when it comes to these things, you know, Like, I think these companies need to realize that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, if it if.
Speaker 2: It's something you start taking for granted, I mean we talked about this before, right, There's there's been more Star Wars content from twenty fifteen to now than our entire lives up to that time.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Right, Like there's five movies plus just hours and hours and hours of shows, which I know you have not seen the majority of not.
Speaker 1: A lot of it. Well, no, right up to a point, and then I kind of dropped off. But I was watching everything for a while, sure.
Speaker 2: Right, But that's my point. It's not like you're like, oh, if this is too much, You're just like, it's just a lot. I don't I'm losing track, right, yeah, a little bit. And and your fandom of Star Wars is not diminished, but it is like I'm you know, I don't have time to watch everything, you know, and that's that's where a lot of people are. And I think that sucks.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't like I missed the days of it being a big effing deal when there's a Star Wars you know, yea that that was the case for us, you know, during the context of the special editions. That was the case certainly when the prequels came out mm hmm, like like or dislike the movies, and you know, there was this is something else, right, there's there's this retroactive thing. Now, Oh, the people didn't hate the prequels when they came out. That's just made up, like uh, And now people are saying that and I'm like that, that's bullshit, like that that is factually untrue because I lived it, yeah, and not only did I live it, I'm at best lived it. And Jake Lloyd lived it yeah, and freaking George Lucas lived it.
Speaker 1: Great point, great point. Right.
Speaker 2: So that's this new thing, like because because you know, now we have the sequel haters, and so we're gonna go through this whole cycle and then we'll see, let's touch base in ten years and see where that is.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't even care at this point, but you know, it just goes on and on, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But all of this is to say, like, scarcity is good because because you want to you want to savor the build up. And you know, you and I, over the last six months we've had many a conversation about how excited or not we're feeling about the Mandalorian and Grogu And I'm not gonna speak for you here, but I'll speak for me. I'm finally at a point where I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, I'm ready for this, me too. Yeah right, yeah, you know it took a while, but yeah, and it's you know, it wasn't one of those things where I was counting down the days, no since like a year ago or anything like that. But now that it's approaching and I'm like, wait, I think you'll see a new Star Wars story in the theater, right, like, yeah, let's go. So that's that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, hey, let us know your thoughts about solo a Star Wars story, and hell, any of the other Star Wars stuff we talked about. I mean, Lord knows you and I we don't need much of a nudge to start talking about Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I want to hear it all. I want to hear everyone's opinions. So let us know.
Speaker 2: You can email us at Movie Film Podcast at gmail dot com. You can knows I hit like on our Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave a review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps. And if you are listening to this show on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe, and leave a comment because we do read all of those comments. Hey, we also have a Patreon page, Brian.
Speaker 1: That's right. If you head over to patreon dot com slash Moviefilm Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done and every episode moving forward absolutely add free. In addition to that, we also drop bonus conversations about twice a month, topics and things we like to riff on, and trailer talk and all that sort of thing that just doesn't quite fit into the show anymore. We drop all that fun about twice a month over on the Patreon feed. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. No ads or interruptions, butting in, like we said at the beginning, very annoying, especially during our commentary. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in ABEL, please head over to patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 2: And with that on behalf of my partner Brian Holme. My name is Zachie Ason. This has been our movie film commentary track for Solo, a Star Wars Story. We'll catch you next time. Thanks everybody,