Speaker 1: All right, five o'clock on a Friday. Let's do the damn thing, shall we. Let's finish strong here Coffee and Company. That's us fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Thornton's Refreshman Awards Program. If you haven't already, I mean, if you haven't, I mean, I don't know what the hell you're waiting on.
Speaker 2: But you still can.
Speaker 1: Believe it or not, they're still allowing you to for free make your life a lot better.
Speaker 2: You get discounts at the pump, you can take.
Speaker 1: Advantage of all the perks like the Frequency Club, which is an exclusive club. But as a member of the Refreshment Awards program, you're in. So go to Refreshment Awards dot com or download their app on your Android or your iPhone and you'll be good to go. So Tomorrow, Louisville, Virginia three thirty Kick Our pregame coverage will start at two thirty. The Louisville football pregame show presented by Pillow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital will start a two thirty, taking you up till three thirty and then as soon as the game comes to an end, which probably going to be about six thirty seven. You know, I don't know much about Virginia as far as how fast they want to play, so you know, usually three three hours is like the minimum. I can't think of a football postgame show we've done where the game didn't last at least three hours. Sometimes it's closer to four. Really just depends. But again, as soon as it ends, whenever that may be, we will go live here reacting to it on the Louisville Football Postgame Show presented by Alex rwy Lawyers to Distracted Driver dot Com. And as I've said throughout the show today, I'm I'm nervous, but it's not necessarily a nerve. It's not like I'm expecting Louisville to lose. It's just as we get closer, I'm coming to grips with the fact that I can't really say that I'm going to be that shocked if they come out and do the same thing they've done all year, because it's kind of part of establishing an identity. It's not an identity that you want, but you got to look in the mirror. So a couple of people have kind of asked the same question on the text line. And by the way, if you guys want to join the show, you can. We have no guest scheduled in the five o'clock hours, so you can give us a call FABO two five seven one seventy nine hundred, or you can text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line at faveb ooh two six five.
Speaker 2: Three zero seven ninety.
Speaker 1: But the question, or you know, the statement was that I'm either keeping something you know, is there something I essentially, is there something that I know that has me worried about this game that nobody knows well. First of all, no, I don't have any inside information about anything, and it's not that I'm telling you lol was going to lose. But I'm also just being real that if they do, and it's because of you know, some avoidable mistakes, a defense that's just not just not good, you know, not not together, not organized, and not coached well right, does it? I mean the head coach himself has said after the game against SMU and in his press conference earlier this week that like, the defense needs to be better when it comes to strategy, game plan, scheme, you know, what that falls on coaching. So you know, I'm hopeful that they have a better plan in place and that they're simplifying things as they want and that the results are better. But if they're not, yes, the disappointment is going to be there. But as far as like shock and surprise, I mean, let's be real, You've played five games and you've kind of been the same team. You've shown the ability to really make some big plays on offense. Your offensive line is certainly not the strength of the team, but they're not the reason that you're sitting with a three and two record. I don't think. I mean, it's a collective thing. It's decisions from the coaching staff, the coaching staff, ron English, not having the defense with the right game plan or having them organized in any way. Like, it's not just one thing that has put Louisville here. But you know, it's been there every game, and it was there. You can go back and look if you'd want. I'm not sure why you'd ever want to go back and watch Louisville play Jacksonville State or Austin p again. I mean, maybe we end up getting there a few weeks from now, because if the season continues to to, you know, be disappointing me. We go back to those games just to remind ourselves that at one point we were beating teams really badly. But you didn't notice those mistakes that those that Louisville made in those games because they were blowouts. You were already up four touchdowns probably when some of those mistakes were made. So it's not that I'm telling you that Louisville's going to do the same things tomorrow as they've done all year and it's going to be a sad Saturday once again. I'm just on my end telling you that I think Virginia is in a good spot here and Louisville needs to come out ready to play from the jump. The worst case scenario, and it doesn't mean that like you're destined to loose if this happens. But if Virginia starts with the ball and they march down the field and they score, hopefully not as easily as SMU did in their first two opportunities last week. But if if Virginia starts with the ball, they punch one in early, that's where it really becomes a gut check time for this team in a major way.
Speaker 2: Like, that's where I think it.
Speaker 1: You know, in that point, I feel like you're gonna either find out, okay, we are we in for a really rough year where this thing snowballs and it's tough to really snap out of, especially knowing that the best teams you play are on the back end of the schedule, Like, is is that where we're gonna go or is it going to be a bounce back when where you clean some things up, find a way to win, and then realize the next week against Miami that's where your opportunity is there to really shift it in a different direction going fast, because if you can and again it's never been about can they, It's about will they?
Speaker 2: And if you you know, And I.
Speaker 1: Still choose to believe despite clearly there being some issues upfront on the offensive line now with Monroe Mills out that is even more the case. And on defense they're missing Quincy Riley, there's no doubt about it, and and the scheme has been a big factor. But also you know, maybe they do have some issues there where they've they've got some vulnerability. But even with all that, let's be real, if you take away three or four mistakes that you made that could have been prevented, or a play call on fourth down that we now know was a wrong, the wrong decision. Even Jeff's acknowledged he would take one or two of those back. Like if those don't happen and those go a different direction, and it's all would it, could have, should have. But if that happens, you still win. And that doesn't mean anything when you lose, but it does give you some validation in knowing that you're not really that far off. Like it's not as if you got to go to practice starting this week and just completely become a different team and just you know, have everybody improve individually at a substantial rate. Like it's not that it's just tightening things up and being better and that's so vague and generic, but like it, you know, that's what it is. So tomorrow is, in a weird way, a huge, huge game for this team in this season, because it's one you're supposed to win and it's unfortunate, but that's where you are. Meaning when I say unfortunate, you don't really whole lot to gain. Now, maybe you don't care. I mean if these guys on the team don't care, I mean they shouldn't care right about perception, But a win here's what you're just supposed to do.
Speaker 2: But it also.
Speaker 1: Calms some things, avoids the three game losing streak with a huge opportunity coming next week to potentially really shift it again in the positive direction. A loss here, you'd be sitting at one and two in league play, three and three overall, Jeff would then be one and five or one and six in his last seven games against FBA or against Power four teams. And oh, by the way, with Miami next week, a trip to Clemson coming up before too long a trip to Kentucky to end the year, I mean, they gotta win tomorrow. If not, Like, it's just gonna be tough for me to with a straight face tell you that. Like I think the season's gonna be in any way a positive one. I mean, I guess anything is possible, right, Like a loss here, maybe you beat Miami the next week and then you get it rolling. But like it's just hard for me, Like that's just wishful That's all that is, is wishful thinking. If you played six games and this team tomorrow comes out and they once again show that they are prone to make those same kind of mistakes. Then you just have to accept that that's who they are and they may change at some point, but until they don't, don't.
Speaker 2: Expect it, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean that that's kind of where I'm at. So never thought we'd be here, but Game six, October twelfth, I kind of feel like this result tomorrow is really gonna kind of. I mean, it's when I say I hesitate to say it because I realize it sounds so dramatic, but that's the way I see it. You lose here, I just think it's snowballs. Not to say that you end up in a situation where you're two and ten like you were in Bobby's last year. But right now you can claim and I think it's way bigger than this, and I think we all know it's not just this, but you can claim that the two teams you lost to are actually just good teams. You know you could have won, but you know, it's not as if you have that head scratching, puzzling loss that you're thinking, how they hell we lose to those guys?
Speaker 2: Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: It's Notre Dame, and regardless of how good you actually think they are.
Speaker 2: And I made it pretty clear.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons why I was so disappointed after that game is because Louisville played so poorly and made so many dumb mistakes, did so many stupid things, and yet they still looked like they were a better team from a talent perspective, and yet they lost. Like that's just a big missed opportunity. Still frustrating, But SMU, maybe they're just really good. Like they completely changed who they are when they made that switch to Jennings at quarterback. With Preston Stone, they were slow, he wasn't that effective. And now, I mean Red actually is in his bag.
Speaker 2: As the kids say.
Speaker 1: He's got a running quarterback that can make some plays, and he's also pretty good with his arm as well. And they'd been carving up teams and they came into Cardinal Stadium last week and did the same thing. So I don't like saying SMU may just be better than Louisville, but they were last week and that's all that matters. And moving forward, if they're really good, that makes Louisville look good. And I suppose, you know, if they end up going on and winning a bunch of games this year, I mean, technically you want SMU to lose because they already have the tiebreaker over you, But I'm not sure who's going to beat him.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Going into their first season in the ACC, SMU had to have thought that their first two, their first two games in league play, are going to be the toughest games they play, right, that's Florida State and then Louisville, and they beat both of them, so they could easily lose if they don't come ready to play. But if you go back and look at their schedule, that's why they were always mentioned when it comes to being a potential ACC title game team, not just because people thought they were going to be great, because everybody looked at their schedule and realized it worked out well for them, just like it did Louisville last year. So again I'm I'm I'm ready for this thing to start tomorrow, but I'm also kind of like not ready because I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I just think if they come out and do it again and just look like a like a sloppy team, that would be really disappointing, but it would also just kind of give me the you know, I'm not going to say that, I'm just going to write off every game the rest of the way as if the season's over. But I will probably turn into the guy that just says, look, it's not about ability, it's about what you can do. But they haven't shown that they're able to do what we need. What they need to do, which is play clean football, come ready to play, and you know, not hurt themselves. And I don't want to make it out to sound as if, well, they're so good, they just make mistakes, that's why they're I mean, they're no. I mean it's not There's gonna be games against teams that we know Loulve was better at that the other team will probably have an advantage at a certain position. That's just how it works. But Virginia is a team that I feel comfortable in saying you shouldn't lose to them, Like, even though you're struggling, you shouldn't lose. So you know, going right now you can claim SMU and Notre Dame, even though how they got there is frustrating to fans. Those aren't looked at right now as really bad losses, especially with SMU now in the top twenty five. I mean, it's not a good loss, but like it's not like, damn, how'd you lose to them? Virginia would be that team, even though they would move to five and one with a win. Let's be real, like, they haven't beaten anybody with a pulse, and they've got a lost to Maryland, which doesn't really look like a good loss. So we'll see what happens tomorrow at three thirty, and hopefully it's a good result. All right, So Kentucky's got big blue madness tonight. Did they sell it out? I think they did?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Now is it at Rup? What is that memorial?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: I think Memorial is where they're doing their their their blue white game.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: But I'm just gonna say this now because you know, I got to say it at some point, because you know, my job is to share thoughts, uh and opinions, even if they may not be popular to some of the people that listen, and some of you may not care because you know, hype doesn't actually do much for you if you don't deliver, and we have we don't have a clue how either of these coaches are going to deliver, right, They.
Speaker 2: Got to win.
Speaker 1: We love Mark, we love Pat Kelsey here with Louisville and Kentucky fans love Mark Pope.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 1: But if these guys don't win, then like that love will fade, not on a personal level, but like you know, you gotta win here, so you know, we'll see. But I think, I think, I think rep Areena tonight. I think Big Blue Madness as a whole Austin is gonna be insane. Like I think they are gonna be. This fan base for them is so energized because of everything that they were so sick of with Cal is the exact opposite of what Mark Pope is. Like he's he's he's so refreshing in every way. And they got a new team, and again, who knows how good they're gonna be. But I think you'll see, like rupp Arena for Big Blue Madness in a way that you haven't in a long time. And it's gonna you know, it's gonna be. I mean, it's gonna be annoying for Louisville fans to hear, but I'm just willing to.
Speaker 2: Tell you that, Like I get it, like they're excited for a new era just like we are.
Speaker 1: And you know they they have a humongous fan base that loves their basketball program, and while a lot of them have probably in recent years decided not really to be you know, they don't want to go to I mean they love to bring up like the crowd stuff when it comes to U OFL meaning Kentucky fans, but like blick Blue Maddness and even some of their basketball home games against the Bums, like they got just as many empty seats as a lot of teams. So you know, big Blue Maddness had kind of lost its luster under col and maybe the event as a whole has, But this is like the just like Louisville Live last week for Louisville fans, for Kentucky, this is like their first legitimate, like Mark Pope leading the program event, and I think they're going to show out and it's gonna be it's gonna be crazy to see and that court that lights up is crazy. I'm watching it again here. I'm looking at this week that Mark Pope sent out earlier today. Dude, like I'm jealous. That looks cool as hell. Yeah, Like, why can't we get that? I don't even know what that kind of that thing cost?
Speaker 3: When when do you think it started fizzling out? The Big Blue Madness for cal because I remember when he first got there, it was it was the red carpet you have. That's when Drake showed his allegiancies there and that's when it like that was a huge thing and that always had the infamous people camping out for it too. Even though they're like free, right, like the tickets are.
Speaker 2: Free, I don't know, I have no clue. I'm pretty sure that they're free.
Speaker 3: They line up to get them and they're just distributed out how much that they can fit in there. And I just know that it just gets resold on like this secondary market and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: That yeah, I mean I'm not sure if they're free, but I would imagine if you're a Kentucky fan. I mean just the incentive of being there, like it's not you know, like I don't even know what they do at Big Blue Madness. Did they do a three point shoot undone contest too? Like I think they do.
Speaker 3: You know, they have like they have all the stars, especially then with the whole col all the stars that were Kentucky fans for a few years.
Speaker 1: I mean, they do the big show and they have like the big entrances and players dance and whatnot, and you know, just like I mean, not every program, but a lot of programs have an event like this. But I would imagine before this current situation where they've got they're probably gonna have a full house and there's excitement. But I think, like you can be like I don't know, I've in the last few years really just I guess really post COVID, Like I don't second guess anybody who just decides they don't want to go to a AIM or an event, because I just think we're we're in an era now where like you can you can get the same Like there's just not it's not just about an incentive of saying you were there where you can frame your ticket stub like they did in the eighties if you were at a big game that was an ald timer, But like, what are you getting out of that in game experience that makes it worth going when you could just watch it at home and really take in everything other than you know, saying you were there. So I think, to answer your question, I think it kind of lost its luster, not because anybody did anything wrong, it's just that people realized, Okay, like I don't really need to be there for this now with Pope being in his first year and there being you know, a new era and a brand new team for them, Like I think it just sets up for this to be crazy like where they're going to have a big crowd and I'm sure they got a bunch of recruits coming in, so you know.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not excited about the Mark Pope era, although I do think he's he's gonna I mean, I don't know. I don't think you have the ceiling with Pope as you did with cal But also you know, you probably won't lose in the first round to Oakland and Saint Peter's. But what I'm most anxious to see is that the love they have for Pope, which I believe is genuine their fans because again he's one of them. I mean, I will say this. Pat Fordy had a phenomenal column at s I just about Mark Pope and how he is. I mean, who knows if he can win enough games to keep Kentucky where they want to be as far as the standard. But he checks boxes that you really can't get anybody else to check, no matter how good they are as a coach, and that stuff's great unless you can't win. So my question is, and only time will tell as far as the answer here, is that if they just end up being a good team, but their ceiling is like fourth or maybe fifth in the SEC because Nat Oates is taken over the league and Bruce Pearl still got it rolling at Auburn, Rick Barnes is doing great. Who knows, maybe cal really gets it rolling at Arkansas and he is, you know, reborn essentially, and he starts making championship runs. Again, like, if that's the hierarchy of your league and you're good, but you're not there with those four, are you cool with that because you're not terrible and he's your guy? Are you gonna say, look now we need to be elite. It'll be an interesting dynamic to see how that all plays out. And again, only time will tell, and it's gonna be a lot of time before we have any answers to those kind of questions. All right, let's do this, let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. I do want to talk some basketball recruiting because Pat Kelsey yesterday when I had him on the show, he did mention that they're in a really good spot with the guys that they really want. He can't talk recruiting, but you know, they don't have to be so dependent upon freshmen because you can use the portal. But again, there's still some really talented guys from the freshman ranks that they want to bring in, and they're in a pretty good spot with one of them. But I didn't even realize at the time when talking with him yesterday. There's another guy that you know, he might have been actually insinuating about without saying his name. So we'll get to that in a lot more. Also, we got some games to discuss this weekend, other than, of course, you know, the local teams, because I'm gonna bet my ass off on Saturday when it comes to college football and just hope that I win, because that's all it is, just luck for me, and I need some luck to go to go my way. All Right, it's coffee and company. Feelbout Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 4: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: All right, we will get to the phone lines in just one second, but if you want a text in you can do It five two six five three zero seven ninety is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This text says, Nick, I know we're all optimistic and very positive when it comes to Pat Kelsey's first season, and I totally agree with all the fans that think this team is going to be really good. But what could you see potentially being a weakness. Well, first of all, it's really tough to really I mean, the things that I believe will be a strength. I think we are making educated assumptions when it comes to that, but you really never know. Like I'm trying my best to to not give such a weak opinion that has very little weight to it. But when I tell you guys that I think this team has a chance to be pretty good win a lot of games. I really love the personnel, their experience, they've got shooting, they've got great I mean, he kind of shot away from saying it, but I think when he looks at his bench and he's in game and he's looking at what each guy does and what they got in the bag, if you know what I'm saying, he knows he's got a great shooting team. Now they may have nights where they're relying on it and everybody's missing like that happens, but we're all just guessing. Again, it's educated guesses. But this is the first time we're going to see Pat Kelsey coach, you know, at this level. Now it's not as if he's going to go out there and play every night against the best teams in the country.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's all new.
Speaker 1: So as far as strengths and weaknesses, like we'll find out, like anybody given an answer when it comes to that, it's guessing. But again, I think you could make some educated guests as far as the players you brought in that have played many years of college basketball, Like some of these guys like no offense, And I don't mean this as a negative thing at all, but like some of these dudes are as good as they're going to get. But that's okay, Like they know. The most underrated trait in an athlete, in my opinion, is knowing who you are as a player, not trying to become something that you're not, and knowing what you do well and knowing what you need not to do out there. Like Javon Hadley's a perfect example of that. And maybe he does get better. But like he's a big physical presence who is athletic enough. He knows he's going to have guards that he can can overmatch and use his size. He can do a little bit of everything. And he's not going to try to, you know, just take over the game and run the show as a point guard. He's not going to try to put up eighteen threes in it. Like he knows who he is. So, as I'm rambling here to try to give you an answer, I would say a potential weakness. Two things established roles. It's great have in so many guys that in any moment could be your leading score because you know they've got the ability. You're really balanced. You will go to maybe three different guys at certain positions and not have much of a drop off. And that is that's that's a strength. That's a good thing. However, do you have you know, if you get into if it's not consistent where any night anybody could be your leading scorer and have a big game. Again, there's waste to view that as a strength. But also it could lead to kind of nobody really knowing for sure night in the night out what their role is. I'm somebody that believes in depth and you know a lot of options and you know, different lineups. But I also think there's value in knowing, hey, here's what this guy does when he shows up to work every day. He's our guy that's going to be you know, our Dwayne Sutton that's out there just to be physical, you know, play defense and you know, provide a presence that maybe most guys don't. Don't you know, maybe somebody who's going to like CHUCKI Hepburn, Like, I think his role is established. He's your leader, he's your point guard. He is going to set the tone for you defensively, and he's gonna run the show. He's gonna make plays. And then you know, I think the other guys they understand what their role is. But I just worry that, like if you've got two guys that have the same role and they don't really ever establish like, how can you really establish a rhythm and get a core lineup if it's different every night? And maybe it's not like we keep talking about depth and all the options that Pat Kelsey has, but maybe we get to mid November and yeah, we know that there's a guy on the bench that is capable of helping you, but he's not in the lineup because he's got guys ahead of him that maybe the gap isn't huge, but they're ahead right now. And Pat's gonna stick with who he thinks gives him the best chance to win. So I don't want to say that like having a lot of options in depth is an issue, but I do think sometimes when you have a lot of the guy, a lot of guys that are exactly the same, he does keep you from really having some consistency when it comes to production. And I think that kind of ties into another potential, you know. And again the question was what could potentially be a weakness or an issue. So I'm not saying these things are going to be an issue. But if I had to answer, and I had to guess, do you have a really real do you have an all acc caliber guy? Right? You got some good players, some guys that can hold their own, but do you have a guy that you would say okay, more often than not the guy at that position on the other team, we're gonna have the advantage because this guy is that good, This guy is a certain level of special and they may have that guy.
Speaker 2: I just don't know. Who would be.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's Chucky, who's now a veteran case in pryor there's a chance he really I mean, there's a lot of people that think he he's such a late bloomer that like he's going to have his best year of college basketball here at Louisville and be an All ACC caliber performer. I mean, there were a few ballots that I know that were being submitted for All ACC preseason that that case in prior first team.
Speaker 2: So maybe he's that guy. Maybe it's I don't know me could be.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's maybe it's Koran Johnson, who has been a reserve guy at Washington, but you know, with a lot of minutes and with this the style of play that Pat Kelsey wants to play, maybe he he he establishes himself as like a sixteen seventeen a night guy.
Speaker 2: You just don't know. So I'm guessing. We're all guessing. But that's what I came up with. So I hope that answers your question.
Speaker 1: And again, I don't want to act like we all need to be expecting those things to be a weakness. I'm just you know, I'm guessing. All right, let's go to the phone lines fivebou two F I'm seven to one. Seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to jump in and give us a call. Let's go to Ray. Ray, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: What's up.
Speaker 5: You know you were talking about earlier about being at the event versus not being at the event. Yeah, nowta you know, there's there's a couple of takes that I have on it. One being at the event event, excuse me. With my grandkids, I really enjoy the atmosphere. They enjoy the atmosphere, the songs, the music, the players down on the sideline, seeing who goes to the medical stan, et cetera, et cetera. Not being at the event, it's a lot easier to get through the refrigerator and get a drink, get a bag of chips, because at the games themselves getting into concessions, so you know, you kind of got to break down a boat.
Speaker 1: The lines are really bad. Sometimes the price is kind of crazy. So yeah, and Ray, I think, really, what not only colleges should do, but NFL teams, NBA teams, and I'm sure they do it as well. But you've got to find a way to really make the atmosphere, an experience to where you know when you go, hey, this is why I'm choosing to take this route instead of watching at home where it's more convenient and cheaper. It's because that atmosphere is second to none. And I think they try, but I just think we're at an age now where people realize, you know, I can do it once twice a year, and that's good enough for me. I'll still be a fan and enjoy it and get just as much satisfaction watching my team when I'm at home.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. You know, I've taken my grand kids to the last four home games and it's been really fun. But you know, we go down it has to get a beverage and to get a hot dog for the kids. And you know, this past game with SMU, we didn't get back and Global had already scored the touchdown. We didn't get back till six minutes into the third quarter and we literally went and got in line. It just takes forever with this cassulist society that.
Speaker 1: We have, and to right appreciate the call right and look, those are the things that they've got to. You know that I'm not blaming anybody at U of l or whoever's in charge of you know, the game day stuff with with the stadium. But like, those are things that may seem like unavoidable because hey, it's just it's busy, it's crowded, but if you want people to still continue to make that decision to go, Like, those are things that matter in a major way. And again it's really nobody's fault. But I just think this day and age, that the price when it comes to everything that goes into it. And I always I always feel like I'm I always feel like I'm being like, I'm I'm doing a service to you. Oh when I say this, and I think, I don't think it comes off that I'm telling people not to go, because I would never do that.
Speaker 2: Do what you want.
Speaker 1: But I'm also comfortable enough to say like, hey, if you don't want to go, like, I get it. It's your money, it's your life, you know you. I get why people don't go. I get why people would rather watch it on TV. Because here's the thing when most people make a decis like sometimes people on platforms like this, they're.
Speaker 2: Like, you need to be there, it's a duty to you as a fan. What are you doing? How are we going to take the next step as a program if you're not.
Speaker 1: There, Like I just I don't have I laugh at people who do that, to be honest.
Speaker 2: With you, because it's like people who people.
Speaker 1: Who decide to go to a game fans other than if it's in every week thing for you, because you're a season ticket holder, you've never missed a game, then that's different, and shout out to you. Because those people matter in a major way and every program needs fans.
Speaker 2: They will do that.
Speaker 1: But the majority, how many of you are, how many you go to games? You know, maybe once twice, maybe three times a year. You probably make the decision based off of you, your life, your convenience, your budget, getting a chance to take grandkids as Ray mentioned, or going with your own children or going with a friend. You never sit around and think like, you know what, I could get tickets, could probably budget it where I could afford it.
Speaker 2: And you know what, the team needs me.
Speaker 1: I gotta be like nobody's factoring in when they decide to go to a game that it's their fan duty to be there and they shouldn't because they don't.
Speaker 2: Owe Like I don't know that.
Speaker 1: This is where I'm kind of hitting a wall here Austin as somebody who loves sports as much as anybody.
Speaker 2: It's a it's you know, I'm not.
Speaker 1: A I don't play sports for a living, certainly, not that I wouldn't make much money doing that, but you know, it's people being really interested in into sports benefits me in what I do, right, So I know that, But I'm just so sick of hearing certain people rather be fans or you know, athletic directors, collective CEOs. And I'm not talking to anybody around here, you know, I just know that happens elsewhere. We played some sound from the Arkansas ad a few weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Like acting as.
Speaker 1: If any fan owes you anything is disgusting to me. It's not like you know, maybe I'm maybe that's a strong word to use there, but like acting as if you have a duty and a responsibility and obligation to give money to the university is a joke. Again, every program needs those fans and they're going to do it. But I just I don't know, I'm so turned off by you know, just acting as if fans are in any way like responsible for an atmosphere. And again they look fans do matter in a major way, and you need them. I just think, like hearing people bring up the crowd last week at SMU in a loss, like it's just I.
Speaker 2: Just I don't know. I can't I got put it to best describe it.
Speaker 1: I can't relate, like because again, I've never been able to relate to somebody who does pay their harder money to get a ticket and go to a game and they look around and they see an empty seat and it's it's it's ruined their experience. Like then why go Yeah, you can't control that, Like there's that's like that's just silly.
Speaker 3: So it goes back to what Ray says and stuff that you said before too. I mean, TVs are just better now, right, you have convenie home. It's a cheaper to go buy a twelve pack and invite friends over and still have that atmus here. But there is going back to when we started the show just talking about I don't know if it's just superstition or what you just said, like team needs me. I need to be there, like I need to. I feel like it's a part of the fan that can feels like they're contributing to helping the team win. And when they look around and they see nothing, they just probably selfishly like I did my part? Where were you guys at? And that's not against anyone else. It's just easier to just sit at home. And when you have the convenience of and it's not just Louisville, but every state waiting in line, going to the bathroom and leaving at halftime and not getting back till six minutes left, like that's tough anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I just I don't know, I think.
Speaker 1: They've just got to find it, first of all, one of the b and I you know, it's not like it's not like I'm saying that. At the time, it was viewed as such a terrible decision, but you know, things, things change.
Speaker 2: Like life evolves.
Speaker 1: We don't need stadiums as big as they are for the majority of games that are played now. There are some exceptions of you know, places like Nebraska and you know, but even the biggest programs will occasionally have a game where their stadium is eighty percent full for the majority of the game, just because you know, it's that they're team's up six touchdowns or whatever it may be. But I don't know, I'm trying not to turn it into something that Loouivells fan base is big enough, and I think the majority of the fan base are there. Ihearts, so you know, I love our fan base. I just think like for those to see what's happening at Nebraska or even in Kentucky, to be honest with you, like, there's a lot like this. This is a fact that I think when you say it, people take it as an insult, and it's not at all. It's just the truth and it's not a negative thing in any way. Do you all realize there's way more fans within other fan bases than ours? Like that doesn't that's not that, that's.
Speaker 2: Not a negative. I mean it's not like we have ten fans. We have a lot of fans.
Speaker 1: But like this notion that like we can open up the stadium on Saturday when they play Austin p and expect ninety percent of that stadium to be full it's sixty five plus, Like that's just not realistic. It's just not And I know that and don't put much time into it, but you know, it becomes a big talking point.
Speaker 2: When is the Louisville gonna hell?
Speaker 1: Are we ever gonna take the next step if this place isn't sold out, like just.
Speaker 2: Stop, all right, we got to get to a break.
Speaker 1: I'm way too late. Stick around. We'll come back and wrap it up on the other sid right here on Sports Talk seven ninety all right, So very little time left here before we wrap it up and say goodbye, So I will remind you that tomorrow we've got you covered for game day. The Louisville Football pregame Show hosted by myself will start at two thirty, presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. Postgame show will start as soon as it ends, and I mean as soon as it ends, since.
Speaker 2: The clockheads zero.
Speaker 1: We go live here reacting to whatever happens on the louisvill Football postgame Show presented by Alex rwy Lawyer's suit Distracted Driver dot Com. I'm going to hope and be hopeful that Louisville avoids a three game losing streak tomorrow and they give themselves at least, you know, a little bit if any momentum, but not coming off a loss against Miami. And that's where the big opportunity is to not erase those losses. Earlier, but at least show that you can be a different team when it comes to making critical mistakes that cost you a game. So we'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a good weekend, everybody,