Speaker 1: It's a golden name.
Speaker 2: Tellie go to the Night the Fantasy sat in Louisial History the gold and tell you.
Speaker 3: On today's tuition, we're continuing the journey here on the Golden Era Podcast with Sean Mooney. We're talking about this Tuesday in Texas. Sean, how you doing today?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great. I'm glad we're doing this episode almost to the day of the distance between Survivors Series ninety one and then this Tuesday in Texas because they wanted it to be this timely event that you could not miss.
Speaker 3: And you know, the name This Tuesday in Texas because up to this point we've had ro rumble, We've got WrestleMania, summersem Survivor series his traditional names, we love them so much in nineteen ninety one, This Tuesday in Texas. Now, according to Bruce Pritchett, the name is because the urgency of it. It's this Tuesday, you can't miss it today day? And where is it? It's in Texas?
Speaker 4: What do you need to know?
Speaker 3: Like, what do you think of the name, because.
Speaker 4: This Tuesday in Texas, Hulk gets his belt back.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, we didn't say that. What do you think was going to happen like this Monday in Minnesota. Like I don't know. It's just weird to think that you would just be okay, Well, the urgency of the name to tell you when it is and where it's going to be. I don't give a ship. I'm sorry, where wrestling is going to be? Yes, I need to know when it airs, but I can't. I don't. I don't care that it's going to be in Texas. It just sounds. Uh, it sounds I guess a nice tagline to put it this Tuesday in Texas, Oh those teas. But I don't know about this name. I don't think anyone's ever accepted this name. What did you think of the name?
Speaker 4: Well? As uh, you know we've been talking about with this, this was kind of an experiment all the way around. Uh you know, could you would with something with that kind of urgency work? Uh? You know what? People be willing to pay money within a few days to follow and being able to follow up and take a storyline a little bit further with this urgency will leave you kind of hanging, so will you come back right away? And so using a title like that was also just let's see how people react to it, you know, overall, and we'll get into the weeds on it later. But it didn't necessarily work very well because, as we know, the buy rate was lower, people had paid less. But at the same time, you know that measurement is not necessarily what how much money you made on is how many people a percentage of the people that have the ability to bring a pay per view into their home are actually paying to see it. And that's what it came down to. And as we saw other Fiber series, ninety one was two point one something like that, and this Tuesday in Texas was half of that. So it was disappointing in that sense, but the whole thing was really just to see, let's see what happens. Can we can we pull this off? And is it something we want to start doing in the future.
Speaker 3: But why not have this in December? Like why do you have to do this six days later? I think people would have paid more if this was Hey, in December, we're gonna have because in December I think eighty nine, the WWF did the match the movie they had No Holds Barred and then a marquee match with Bruce beef Cake and Hogan versus Zeus and mach him and in a steel cage. They did that before in December. Why not now why try to push six days? Why only use Survivors Sais? You could have used Primetime Superstars Wrestling Challenge. I'm very curious to know why you would think it needs to be in six days? Like why the urgency? Do you think?
Speaker 4: Well? I think that they felt they could I don't want to say waste one. But it was a chance for them to see does it will this work? Imagine you know, imagine what goes into promoting an event, and it's and especially when we would do you know, for the four Big Ones then and we would spend months and months promoting it at a pretty good cost of doing this necessarily, and they wanted to see, Okay, do we need all of that promotion? Can we just build the momentum and then act on it quickly instead of having to do it for say, and like you said, they could have waited a month. That would have been kind of unprecedented. Too. Here they're doing a pay per view a month later, you know, the same thing as you mentioned to see and it was overall a failed experiment in sense because then they didn't end up doing another one for over a decade later, so obviously it wasn't the results that they wanted to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just surprised. Like I know, the Tuesday concept is always brought up as, oh, it was a Tuesday, like we usually have pay per views on Mondays. I'm sorry, I don't think the date had anything to do with it. I think it's the fact that it was so quick. But again, you still made money, you still put on a show, because the thing with this is you paid to see this event this Tuesday. In sexist you get nine dark matches on this show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nine and not and not bad ones, not all, I mean all. They were pretty good matches. Some of them. I would have liked to have seen the same part of the pay per view event, which we'll we'll talk about.
Speaker 3: It's just funny to think where I guess everyone who only watched a pay per view. Like I said, I'm doing the same thing. I'm taking the name and going why the name? Why these matches? Why? Six days? But if you bought a ticket, you got a show, because you got Legion of Doom versus the Rockers and one of the last appearances of the Rockers as a tag team because they're next up airing on Superstars in a few weeks after that would be the Barbershop Window. You know, you have Rick Flavors as Rowdy Roddy Piper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know how that one was a part of it. And then you know, we end up getting you know them and you know and and and really I love those guys. I'm saying, you give me a choice and I get to see Rick Flair take on Roddy Piper. But that yes, I'm in I know it. But also you met you know, these matches were uh, I'm not bad at all. I mean, because you had other guys that would were rising up. I mean, you know, Charles Wright was in there, Sir Charles was one of these matches, one of his early matches with the w W E. Chris Chavis, who you know is the Tanka. So yeah, if you showed up that night, and I think about what eight thousand people showed up, you got a hell of a show really and overall as a show itself, as a house show, it wasn't a bad deal. And uh, you know, and as far as the pay per view went, when with with the you know, the Jake and Randy maybe not the greatest match in itself, but the storyline of that was just tremendous, which I really want to get into. And Brett Hart and Skinner was not a bad matchup, so overall as an event itself, it wasn't bad at all. It gets a lot. I think it gets trashed a lot because of well, as we mentioned, the way they turn this thing around and basically made it take a commercial venture all the way around. But that's why they're in business is to make money, and they're going to find different ways to make that happen.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to read down the card really quick. It's the Harris Brothers having a tryout and the w W ron in Don Harris. They were eventually the DOA. They were Jacob and Eli Blue obviously the Harris brothers as well Sir Charles you said the Godfather, Papa Shango and Brian Lee, who had actually become the fake Undertaker in the Undertaker was Undertaker in nine ten NY four storyline, so ton because Greg Valentine defeats Brooklyn Brawler, the Nasty Boys take on the Bushwhackers, leads to Doom then fights the Rockers and then Legion to Doom Fights the Natural Disasters, back to back matches.
Speaker 4: Why right Lesion.
Speaker 3: Du Rous Rockers. First I saw Piper versus Flann I was like, all right, that's pretty impressive. Then I was like, wait, Lesion of dovers for Rockers? When did we ever see that on television? And why isn't it on television?
Speaker 4: Exactly? Did you know? You really you look at the like, holy crap, it would have been if they put these matches on maybe it would have been you know, people and what they paid for they had to pay for pay per view wise half to what they paid for Survivor series. And so if you know, even if they would have put three or four more of these matches on there, people would have stuck around. The whole thing was only on for an hour and a half as a pay per view event. Give people the.
Speaker 3: Option by the whole thing or buy a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then and then you think about it, because of course I was involved doing the Coliseum home videos and I was thinking back, you know, looking at that card that I'm like, this is going to make a hell of a tape. And then they never even did they it. It became part of I think Super Tape two or something like that where it was. There was not a Colisseum home video called This Tuesday in Texas, which I meant, I said, at least, at the very least, we're gonna have this great coliseum video. Didn't happen. That's a big question. Why not?
Speaker 3: That is a weird question, because you are right, there's a VHS release of everything wrestumating at eight over a series. You guys had so many super tape superstar tapes like you had a million different things. But yes, this does not get a Colisseum video release. It's called WWF Super Tape ninety two. And on the cover on the bottom, if you have the tape on the bottom, it just a little print, you know, the full cord of This Tuesday and Texas. I'm thinking, didn't the world title change hands at this event? If anything, let's put that out front. That should be the cover of this VHS tape. It's not. I think it's Brett Hard great. I love Brett Hart, But why no release?
Speaker 4: Do you think it's a great It is a great mystery because maybe at the at the time they viewed it as a failure, or because they didn't get the numbers that they were expecting and just kind of buried it. I don't know, but I remember, I do. I just think remember thinking this is at the very least, this is is going to make a great Coliseum home video. I mean, could be one of the best. When you look at those dark matches, and then as you mentioned, the title changes hands. You have this unbelievable story on going on between Macho Man, Randy Savage and Jake the Snake Roberts. It was everything you could ask for. I mean it was if you, as you said, if you were lucky enough to be there that night, you've got a hell of a show. He really did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, I pulled up the super tape card. This is what's on the tape. You have leading to Doom, Big Boss Man, the Anvil versus Earthquake, the Mounty and the Nasty Boys. You have an IC Championship matches Brett Harper's Irs, Greg the Hammer, Valentine versus The Undertaker, and just a one on one match super Fly Jimmy Snooker versus Undertaker. Then the actual this Tuesday and Texas card starts. You have all the matches in a row and the last match is the world title. So yeah, they just threw in three extra matches when you could have given us Piper and Flair, l O D versus The Rockers and Nasty Boys versus the Bushwhackers. And I think that would have been the same exact tape, except you didn't have to re air those old matches because you already had a whole pay per view for a VH just type release.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I think overall, when you think about capitalizing on everything that they captured that day that Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Uh where wherehere is it the event? I'm sorry, I Antonio, Oh okay, this's Texas right this Tuesday in Texas. Yeah, I sort to make.
Speaker 4: Sure because you didn't forget, did you.
Speaker 3: Nope, the urgency was there, and I knew exactly where it was going to be, and I knew what day it was going.
Speaker 4: I don't know why when I would stick in your mind, but okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's all there this pay per view. You know, we could break down a match by match, but really, I think one of the biggest things, and I really want to dive headfirst into it right now, is the Randy Savage, Jake the Snake Roberts storyline, because when you think of WWF storylines, you know, put the F back in, there's only a few that you go, how did this happen? We have a King Cobra moment, we have women being slapped, we have Warrior leaving which sets up this match and storyline and reinstating. Before we get into all that, like where do you land on the Randy Savage, Jake the Snake Roberts as a rivalry in the WWF lore Because to me, it's gotta be one or two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is one of the one of the greatest storylines. The only reason it wouldn't be for me, you know, top three or whatever, is because it was stunted. It kind of got shut down because of all the I guess you could say controversy surrounding it. There was, It was a lot to it. But you hear Jake talk about it, and you know, you've heard all these different stories about the slap that of course is the one basically heard around the world of professional wrestling forever. And you talk about the timing of it when it happened. You certainly couldn't get away with even thinking about doing something like that today. But you know, it was people talk about how you know that Randy agreed to this. Jake even says he came up with the idea. And you know, Jake was very hesitant about it, not just for how it would be perceived, and you know, people thinking crossing the line and that whole thing. And he you know, said that guy strikes a woman asn't much of a man. He's said that many times. But he said, you know, this is how we work back then. And he said, and if I'm going to do it, I gotta i gotta lay it in a bit to make sure it's believable. And you've heard stories you know how Randy thought he made it look too real and he was out of his mind. Well, Jake says, no, you know, Randy had no problem with it. The problem that he says is that Elizabeth's family went crazy. Her parents and and her grandparents, uh just thought it was way way over the line. And uh to the point where you know, Jake says that that Randy for a time wasn't welcome in their homes and it was like a major family and and so he he said that, you know, he believed that that thing should have gone, that should have gone all the way to WrestleMania. This storyline was just tremendous, and but that it was kind of shut down because of all that. That was the heat that was surrounding it. And on the personal side for Randy with with family matters, Now we'll never know. From the other side of Randy, I I don't remember it being that those issues. I never heard about him having problems with the family. But I knew that that he was okay with it. Nothing really would ever happen in that ring involving Elizabeth unless he signed off on it. And so I don't I don't think that was the issue. I think it made it sounds for a great story to say that he went out of his mind, because you know, Jake made it look too real. I mean, come on, these guys know how to work. We saw the bump that Elizabeth took it with the whole Coogan episode, and so she knew that and and and in many ways, you know, Elizabeth welcomed getting in there. You know, she didn't want to just be the pretty little thing standing at ringside all the time. She knew that at some point that's gonna wear out. Help you know, you know, you got to get get get your hands dirty a little bit, and she was all for it, and uh, you know, uh Sherry talks about it, the incident where Sherry slaps her and and uh you know where Elizabeth delivers you know, her receipt whoever, but uh, she you know, Sherry was very hesitant about it, and Elizabeth Knight like, no, you know, laid in there, you know where. She was totally into it. So I don't think that that was an issue either. So it was I I think it was a great storyline, is your original question here. I just think it was stunted a bit. It could have gone a lot further. And then we should also talk about some of the greatest promos ever cut for this this event and also just the storyline because two of the best, Jake Roberts and Randy Savage, and they were on the top of their game, uh for this, for this storyline. It was just fantastic, some of their best work ever ever.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I think it's That's why I said it's either top you know, one or two. And I think before we move on about anything involved the storyline, the parents and his family, the family of Miss Elizabeth, I could see one reason of it looks so real, not the slap. At one point, Jake is holding her up here by I guess her hair, and he is screaming and pointing, and he is looking very you know, very heelish, and that's what he's doing here. He's a bad guy, and it looks so real so that when he eventually he does strike her in the ring. I'll be honest, you see the strike. You've watched enough wrestling, You've seen enough hits. You know, you look at that and go, wow, you really held back on that. Good for him. But yet the family seeing this, and I think they're so emotionally caught up in all the he's belittling her, he's screaming at her. There's a King Kobra like a few weeks ago. Like, there's a lot of layers to this, And if you're not I guess clued into what the hell's happening backstage and in front of the camera, maybe maybe you could uh start freaking out. But as you said, we talked about the mega powers exploding on an episode maybe like seven episodes ago, and Macho Mann's giant butt lands on her face and she gets crushed on the outside, and I'd never heard a story about the family being upset about that.
Speaker 2: This is no no.
Speaker 4: But I also think and as you said, the slap, I mean, Jake is a professional, it's it's the same as how they do with punches and everything. But I think it was more more the perception of her mistreatment as a woman. I think that that had a lot to do with it. And as I said, it was a different time. It was a different time when you could could follow these storylines. I mean, Randy's whole thing was being this overpowering, domineering character over Elizabeth and control freak, and that was the character so and wasn't the nicest. Was mistreated Elizabeth on many ass right in front of the television camera. So it was that that whole atmosphere was something that was professional wrestling. But as you know, Jake was sensitive to it. It was a time where he didn't want to be known as somebody who would strike a woman. But it was part of the storyline and it certainly heated things up. But I mentioned those promos and I people go back. You can find him on YouTube. And one thing I want to mention too is, you know, try and find that slap now on YouTube. Steve. You could see how the WWE is very sensitive to it because you can see that the end of that match has got clips of it too, but no slap, so very very even, very very sensitive to it today. But getting back to the promo, Oh my god, you know Jake. Let's start with Jake and the promos that he had for this and just just such awesome when he talks about, you know, I came into this world and basically innocent, and thank you Jack Tunney for educating me, because when I came into as well, I couldn't lie, I couldn't cheat, I couldn't steal, and you taught me all of that, you know. And then he gets into that, and then when we get into the whole thing about with him man handling Elizabeth, and he's like, oh yeah, and then when I felt then I felt it down down my back, you know, the you know, basically saying the power I had over this woman, and you're like, Holy, this guy, I mean, all the best of the best in his burn that slow burned, the way he delivered stuff and so good. I mean, you believed every word that's coming out of his mouth. So, you know, Jake, one of the best and it's he he had a great career. I just don't know why he wasn't at the peak of everything for as long as that ride was because he was. It was just so good and uh and and great, a great ring performer. So it's uh to me, he's he's right up there, one of the best step and especially when it came to cutting promos, My god, Oh.
Speaker 3: He was a he was a genius.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's funny you say that the Bulls promo because after he hits her in the promo of it airs, it really seems like he got off on slapping her, and you're like, oh my god, dude, what is this guy's really feeling this? More so than es he's happy to be here.
Speaker 4: He's that kind of like, yeah, that's good stuff my back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh Jay please you sick.
Speaker 4: But you believed them, Oh my god, you believed him right.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was all in on this Jake to Snake Roberts, especially that you know that don't trust me version of him. This one he's like, trust me, trust brother, And uh. It's quite interesting that how we even got here in the first place, because we did a whole episode about it. Ultimate Warrior gets fired from the w WF in nineteen he one Summer Slam. While that is going on backstage on television, we're seeing j and Warrior setting up a storyline for them where Jake's helping Warrior become darker to fight the Undertaker. Well, Warrior is out, Well we're gonna have to go to Macha Man's wedding, where we have to go to reception. We're out of nowhere. Jake now doesn't like Macho Man and he has an Undertaker by his side, which sets us all up. And it's very interesting to think that because of Warrior leaving, we got this amazing storyline in promos, and because it's not just a normal thing man like you. We're talking about a woman being slapped, and then before that we had a King Kobra bite a man's arm that wouldn't let go. We don't just have one amazing moment, we have two. Just thinking off the top of my head of those types of things, what do you How did Jake do feel? How does Jake feel about all this? Because I've interviewed before about this and he feels like Warrior leaving really effed up him becoming world champion. Jake says he was supposed to become world champion. I don't know where though, maybe he's supposed to be an integer spot, I don't know. But yet he was supposed to be a world champion and have a storyline with Warrior. It doesn't happen, doesn't materialize. And then after this storyline, the finish of Jake in Macho is at Saturday Night's main event before We're rumble, and then that's it. Jake's out after Usmania eight. Boom boom, boom boom, We're out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and an unfortunate series of circumstances, I think is the way we can basically lay it all out here, because Jake has mentioned that many times that that run with Warrior would have been a huge payday for him. He think that that cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more. And then of course you get this great storyline going which he plays to the tee and does, you know, does everything you could possibly want to do to sell it and making it hot as ever that heat was just off the charts. And then as I said, then there's other things come in. Well, we really don't want to keep going far forward with this for whatever reason, whether it's family or heat from the outside of people saying of using a woman or whatever it is, and that gets shut down. So you know, Jake loses them both counts of these runs, and it's it's just unfortunate because you know, the two of them working together were so good. We talked about Jake's promos, Randy's were just as good when it came to emotions and what were what was running in this storyline where was just tremendous of me. Here he is, you know, he's supposed to be the protector of his woman and he couldn't even do that. He's incapacitated in the ring, and Jake basically has him where he can do whatever he wants to him and does all the you know three ddts that just knock him completely just out, and then this woman had to come over and cover and try and save him, and then she gets slapped by this guy. And his promo before that match was great. But I'll tell you I had the privilege of being the one who interviewed him backstage for that one, and Steeve, I've I've mentioned this one before, and to me, it is that that interview is one of the greatest interviews. One of the greatest promos that Brandy ever did, and he did a lot of tremendous ones, but this one, man, he's he's smacking himself, he's slapping himself. He can't forgive himself. He's just so distraught. He's lays down on the ground. If you see me with a microphone trying to follow him as he's going around to make sure people can hear him. And I remember, as this is going on, I'm going, oh, this Jesus, this is the unbelievable. I'm feeling I'm getting chills as he's going and he's just going on and on, and I've mentioned you know where. And then as he finally finally gets up and he's just like and he just like shoves me out of the way. And I remember everybody in that room, nobody moved. There wasn't a sound because we're all just like, holy shit. That was unbelievable. That was. And I remember after that, everybody's like, oh, Randy, my god, that was. And this is the this is the interview I've told you about for where Vince was there off to the side, and I ever tell you, I tell you he's doing this would wrap him up, wrap him up. And uh, I think back now because I watched it again, and I'm saying, can you if I would have cut that thing short somehow it would have been you would have missed half of it? How good it was that you just that was my my whole way thing is this thing is over? When Randy said it's over, I'm not jumping in there. And if you look at that's why it was so good. And and I'm not It's not just me saying this. You go and you talk to people that are in the knower or historians and ask them, what what was one of if not the best, but one of the best promos that ran he Savage ever cut. It's that one in Texas. Uh. It really was just phenomenal. And I think, you know, Vince would say, oh, man, that was probably a good thing that we didn't wrap that one up early, because man, that whole thing when he finally gets up and then he goes and get up, you know, and just pushes me out of the way and goes out, and I'm like, what an exit? Because you've just felt it? Where's he going? Is he gonna go? Get him? Now? I mean he's he want he's gonna kill somebody. What he's gotta he can't let this Simmary, He's got to go do it now. So uh, all the way around. That was the whole match itself to how many people remember what the happened with the match ran going off with the elbow or whatever, But it was all that that they had the post happened happened in the ring afterwards, and in that interview, Man Jake was right, man, that thing should have been ridden right all the way to wrestlemaning because that that heat was as as hot as it gets.
Speaker 3: Now, let me throw something at you then, because do you believe that the poor house shows of Rick Flair and Hok Cogan in ninety one around this time they go, oh, oh okay, we can't get the russmanni with Hogan and Flair. All right, we gotta get we gotta get the Sid Hogan thing going now. We gotta get this Macha man Rick Flair thing going now. But we gotta somehow put an end to this. And I say I said it mentioned Macho Man fights Jake the Snake at Saturday Night's main event, the last one that aired on it was on Fox because NBC canceled the contract with the WWF at this time, so they weren't getting NBC primetime specialists, they were getting Fox. And this is where this airs. Also on that night, Rodny Piper beats mach the Mounti to become inconal champion. Hogan teams up with Said Justice to take on Rick Flair an undertaker, and that's the night where we get even a further suggest as Ho Cogan storyline. So do you think, and I threw all it out at you, do you think that maybe the poor reception of Lair and Hogan led to we had to break out Macho Man and Jake because we can make more money with Flair and Hogan doing separate things than having Macho Men and Jake together.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe not so much, thinking we can make more of them being separate because they didn't really know. But one thing they did know is it wasn't working. It wasn't happening of what they originally thought was going to happen, that we were going to have this, you know, the greatest of the greats in the ring together at the same time and thereat the world champions head to head. And they could tell that was a lot of what they were able to do with the house shows is get a feel of how people would receive this. It was their own little labs that they could go in different cities because you know, all the cities are different, you get different crowds in different places, and it was a great way for them to get an idea, Okay, is this going to work on a grand scale? Can we put it in a pay per view where people are going to line up and say, yes, I want So it was more I think on the side of knowing why we wish it would happen, but it's just not. So now we got to pivot. They're always thinking with others, they always had something else to do, what's it work? And then you've got, you know, sit, bring an undertaker in and then see where that's going to go. And that's where we ended up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just weird that they would give Flair in Hogan in a tag match on the main event on Satday Night's main event on Fox, but not be like, oh, okay, this can also main event WrestleMania. But either way, it's very strange to think that happens, and you know, you you mentioned it for a second, but I really want to dive into it. VisiC Man is telling you off camera during this amazing macho man promo to wrap he's doing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, universal symbols, I think in society. One is this, What do you think I'm doing right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I'm rolling, But I'm also if somebody.
Speaker 3: Did this, this is wrap up. This is roll the window down, even though no one rolls the window down anymore, you know what I mean. Yeah, okay, nobody rolls through windows. Their universal symbols like that, you know piece, you know, thumbs up. This one is wrap up, Yes, wrap up?
Speaker 4: Well, and there's a number of it.
Speaker 3: If you were a man, then you suddenly saw someone doing this to you, and you know you just happened to you. What does this even mean?
Speaker 4: I'm thinking, like you want me to hum, It's okay, Randy, It's gonna be okay. But I'm like, what what what the world?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, I mean, anything like this, uh this, you know.
Speaker 3: Or like hey, stopping, you know, anything.
Speaker 4: But and I remember it was when he was doing it was when Randy was on the ground and just you know, kind of you know, just grumbling. But but but I knew he was going to I had done enough interviews with Randy. I you know, I knew where where. I didn't necessarily know what he was going to say what it was, but I knew how he wasn't got that there was more, and I was like, there's no way, there's no way I'm doing that, and uh uh. And thank god because the way that, as I said, the way that all around wraps up, and that explosive that I gotta go. I don't know what I'm gonna do, but I'm going I gotta go. As as that wrapped up, and I just you know, after that, after he walked away, and then I knew we were out, I was just like, man, that was so good. And then and then I got and then comes overs like and I think he's gonna say, wasn't that like I was. I was unbelievable, Like I told you. I was. I told you to wrap up, like really yeah, and you can see everybody in the crew it's just like what so yeah, I tell you. Even after that, I was just because I knew I I've done it long enough. I knew when you got when it's gold, and Bence certainly should have known that too. I I don't. I maybe after he saw it and he went, oh yeah, because you know, he wasn't like he didn't have moments like that where he realized, Okay, it's better that way. But I told you, like afterwards, and I'd see I saw him in the runway and I just like looked at him. He looked at me like what the you know? I said, I mean, I was so fired up, stupidly because I probably could have been, you know, on a plane back to Tucson at that point, you know, because but I was so mad about it. It was kind of like they want a piece of me, you know. But really, I mean, I tell you though, that and of all I've done, you know how many hundreds of interviews that I did, that to me was all the way around, just to a be a part of that. I was really proud of that. And then and it remains one of my my favorite moments that I'd spent, not only just in the with with Randy, but in the w W. I mean, it was just textbook, just a great, great promo and uh. And then I mentioned the other one that where you know, Jake's talking about Jack Tunny, uh teaching him about and that's that was all him, you know, just like you think, where did that stuff come from? It's so good, you know.
Speaker 3: I like how Jack Tunny is. He's supposed to be this authority figure, but everyone's like even Cogan doesn't like Jack Tunny, even hold Cogan and most of his promos like Jack Tunny.
Speaker 4: Just what is he?
Speaker 3: He's just trying to keep all the authority.
Speaker 4: He's the authority. Yeah, yeah, he's that's that's what he did. He was the he was he took the heat.
Speaker 3: He was the guy that was an evil though he didn't like have a group of fashion.
Speaker 4: He's the man. He's the man.
Speaker 3: Steve he banned reptiles from Ringside and Macho and Jake's happy about this that he taught about a cheat and lie and steal and Jack Tunny is not done here on this vivrasy, I mean, on this this Tuesday in Texas. Pardon me, it's very easy to get this Tuesday in Texas and Survivors Area is confused with each other. Yeah, it's just really bizarre that, Yeah, you're even before this matchup. The whole storyline really too. With the King Cobra though, is reinstating Macho Man. And that's another thing that happened with Warrior leaving his spot is open, Well, we got to fill it in with an equal superstar, and Macho Man is there. He's currently doing commentary for Superstars and Wrestling Challenge randomly and they have to reinstate him to bring him back. Did Randy ever want to step away from the ring? What was the reasoning? Do you know for Randy saying, you know what, I'm gonna take a break or I'm gonna just step away for a little bit. He was gonna come back eventually no matter what.
Speaker 4: Well, no, I think if you knew Randy, Randy knew how the business worked, you didn't step away because you could lose your your standing. There were certainly points where he needed a break, you know, when you go that far, and he did that a few times where you know, they go down to Florida and you know, basically chill for a little bit. But he understood you can't just step away and expect to come back, you know, a year later or something like that, and and have that momentum. I don't think that that he wanted to step away. You have to remember at this point where Vince McMahon's heead is is he's thinking about this youth movement. He's under feeling that, you know, the superstars I've been counting on are getting a little old and the tooth, as they say, and I've got to start thinking about the future and bringing in new people. And I think that now, I think that that that's not something Randy wanted to do. They had even talked about, you know, I think Vince wanted to try and make it somewhat palatable for him and make him by saying that he wanted was going to have him part of the booking team. That was a part of the discussion, but that that never really worked out, and so that and commentary. But I think that, you know, uh, for Randy, it kind of came back around because they needed him. You know, there'd be there'd be points where, you know, somebody would go down on the and he would go and fill in in some of these house shows and just time and time again proving that they needed him. And come on, I mean, he he could still go with the best of all of them. There wasn't a point it wasn't where they were looking at him going boy, he was a little slow on that up the turnbuckle there with the elbow, you know what there was. It wasn't that. And uh, you know, I heard a discussion the other day. They're talking about you know where forty used to be old and professional wrestling. Yeah, I mean seriously, he used to talk about people that are washed up at forty and they're boy, he's been around. Oh come look at look at today, said everyone can go and at peak that are way beyond that. And so that wasn't a point of at all. And I don't think Grandy was ever you know, accepting of him take taking a backseat because he was somehow older that he would he couldn't keep up with these guys. I don't think that he was thinking, oh yeah, I need it. I want a nice cushy job. I'm gonna make money and I can just do commentary. That wasn't part of his DNA. As we saw, he ended up going down South and got bigger than ever and had another had a run down there. So no, I don't think that that was that was his idea.
Speaker 3: Okay, I always wondered that because he becomes world champion at wrestling, he eight, So this is you know, about three months later, he beats Ric Flair in another weird Miss Elizabeth storyline, which we kind of covered about the naked pictures of Miss Elizabeth. She's going through a lot of tough times in the end of ninety one and early ninety two. But yeah, he wins the world title and he even made He goes on to fight Warrior summersoninety two. You know, he Batchaman has a very good second run, and then they put him back on commentary ninety four. Then he leaves for w CW, becoming a multi time world champion. So you know again, the last time Jake in Macho Touch, at least on television is ar Rumble ninety two. They're in this roll rumble together Machum and even eliminates himself because he's going after Jake, and they change the rules of the rumble when they just take your just throws Macho Man back in and girdls like, oh, apparently you can't eliminate yourself. But years before that, Andre did eliminate himself. So it's just funny where if you watch enough of these, you're like, wait, are the rules changing or But it's also a storyline, so either way, one of the best you know out of the Survivors series ninety one and the King Kobra and Warrior leaving and getting fired like this gave us this amazing moment of a King Cobra and a woman being slapped in one storyline, And to me, that is amazing to.
Speaker 4: See and well stands up today.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna forever tell someone this if they ever tell me, wrap up.
Speaker 4: Up And you don't know that international sign.
Speaker 3: You don't know it, you don't know it? Come on, man, no, no, yeah it was. It was crazy though. It's just so funny I think that. But yes, that's great storyline. But also what's interesting about this pay per view is some of the matches. So Million Dollar Man in the Repo Man take on El Mattador, Tito Santana in Virgil. Now a lot of this is a continuation of what happened at Survivor Series. So Tiddy Biassi in Virgil or on opposite teams. Repo Man was not at Survivor Series, but El Mattador was. He was a replacement for someone on Team Hacksaw, Jim Duggan. So what do you think this match is put on? There? Just fill in the card with anybody, or we need a tag team match to feature two wrestlers to get you excited.
Speaker 4: Well, it doesn't make sense though, because and please, there's no knock against these guys. You know, I love them ball, I love it.
Speaker 3: I love them too, love it.
Speaker 4: But buto man, which was kind of the Hamburglar, and you know what I mean, I just don't that. I'm glad that it kept very working. But yeah, and it wasn't like saying it's a bad tag team matchup. But as we saw with the Dark matches, there were some others that probably would have as far as marquee goes and drawing attention, would have played better. And also the placement of it, you know, right before the big one, to do something like that, and and so I never I've still and I was looking at that, you know, the card earlier and thinking that it's just the weirdest placement. And boy, there's a few there are a couple other on here in the dark that were would have been real good here. I mean when you love to have seen Flair and Piper before. Yes, so I'm kind of still astounded by it. You know, you know, we had the Ted Deboshi, you had the million Dollar Man. Of course Virgil that was going to explode eventually. Uh, and they and they gave them the chance to finish that storyline, and so there was something within that match, but it just as far as like putting that in there, it does it does kind of come off like, Okay, we need something to put in there. No, you know, so I really I don't. I don't. I don't understand it. But that's it was it time to was that kind of like intermission, like to get up and get like get more popcorn and soda. I I don't know. It's kind of a still a mystery to me how that how that was in the lineup the way it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again like Million Dollar Man in Virgil their storyline, this is the last time they touched too, because for the past year they have fought over the million Dollar Championship, they fought at they's not at all so in reality, like there's nothing left for Virgil and Million Dollar Man to do except have a match with Repo Man and Tito Santana. But you're right, like why couldn't we have gotten l O D versus natural disasters or the Rocker? Is honestly what Nasty Boys make sense because they were they were involved with each other at service series. So this again it's just the choice of some of these as in like the Icy Championship is on the line, Brett the Hitman Hart versus Skinner, they weren't involved in the same match either. Brett Hart has an issue with the MOUNTI we saw this, they talked about it and not here. Why not here?
Speaker 4: Though? Yeah, it doesn't And not that that was even a bad match either, because you know, she's pretty good actually was he was good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a good pretty.
Speaker 4: Good hand as they say, and uh, you know it was. It was a decent matchup too. But you know, I think, as we when you look at it though, what this really this pay per view was was the Jake uh Randy match and then uh and then the main event really so everything else was just kind of the filler on it. But as far as you know, some of those other matchups, they were, they were great, but I think they I think the focus and the attention they really won was on those matches, and of course that's that's basically what happened. You know. The the Jake and Macho Man match was really certainly delivered. My god, it was. It was great entertainment to watch. It was and then of course we had people laiting. They wanted to see the Hulkster get that goal back from.
Speaker 3: The man watch nine matches already, so now they got to wait four more.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, though, is British Bulldog and Worlord also fight on here and they hold a record for being in every single pay per view match together in nineteen ninety one Royal Rumble. They're in the same match one on one RESTMANU seven one on one, three on three match, Summer Slim ninety one Sarvice Series opposite teams four and four. And here we are this to the in Texas Bulldog versus Warlord.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 3: I hate the only two people ever to pull this off in one year, So congratulations. If you didn't like it, well too bad. It's all in every single one. I just think that's a very interesting, weird fact to have between Bulldog and Warlord. But it's not these matches. Weren't people going I can't wait.
Speaker 4: To see this.
Speaker 3: But again, I do love powerhouses. I do love we lock hands and we pretend we're fighting each other. I like that for me, it's fun. But are you shocked that they fought in every single pay per view in ninety one, or yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Almost think that it was a plan. Let's do this and see if anybody really notices, you know, because you don't really have a reason for those two to be in the ring together going at it against each other. It didn't have any real serious storyline going on. But you know, I was Warlord was surprised me that he could work as well as he did because I don't know how he wiped his heinie actually that he was just so you know, I mean, he couldn't be at that time. I just reduced to marble because you know, you look at somebody like the Warrior and and just how you know, the cut that he had, it was just like a bodybuilder's. But Warlord was just like this. I mean, he was as gigantic as you. You didn't know where there was there's nothing else that could have been killed in those farms and stuff like that. But he could move, you know, he could move. And uh, those matches weren't terrible with those guys, I mean it was you know, and of course Davy boy was was great anyway, but they weren't. Those weren't terrible matches.
Speaker 3: No, I like his braided hair. This is the braided hair version of the Bulldog and.
Speaker 4: The dreads with the beats.
Speaker 3: Didn't mind him that it was a hurt like hell when he lands down on his head every time. But that was interesting. But yes, let's move on though it's the main event. It's Undertaker versus Whole Coogan, the world titles on the line, and for as long as I remembered, I would think, Okay, Undertaker wins this fibus series, he loses at this Tuesday in Texas.
Speaker 4: But when you.
Speaker 3: Research it turns out Taker on the house show circuit did defend the world title against the British Bulldog three different times. And if you go on YouTube, the WWE loaded one of the matches so you can actually watch the time Taker defended the title against Bulldog at one of these house shows. And it's very weird to think that. It just felt like you house shows didn't exist with television programming for a while. Results didn't add up. So were you aware of this, Like is this a common thing where we're hiding what's really happening on house shows?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they could do that. I think all those shows were in Canada too, so they weren't even in the US, and you know, they didn't have came, they didn't have you know, they didn't shoot these like some of these places would have, you know, television cameras because they had you know, kind of local operations. They did, but you know, some of those were never captured on video, which it wasn't like everybody even had a cell phone so you could do, you know, and these households to deliver once in a while, you had to be able to go out there and like have the belt actually on the line, you know, against a quality opponent, and so yeah, that's where you could do that. You know. The only way you ever really heard about these house shows is through the dirt sheets. You know, they'd have the guys there, then Meltzer would get the information and this is you know, guy went over and did this whatever. But you know, only the die hard wrestling fans had that, and it wasn't something you could put up. We didn't certainly have the networks we have now, the platforms of social media where you could put this stuff up. Basically you could if you wanted it, you could do it live. I mean, you could put that thing up right after it happened for the world to see and do that. So, as I mentioned before, it was it was a great way for them to put stuff out there and see how it worked, you know, to be basically rehearsals or whatever and say, okay, how are they going to how do they react to this one? And so it was the the you know, the guys on the road, the agents as we call them that they were also that was part of their job was to report back to headquarters and say, yeah, that that match really got over.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: They just loved it. It was a great way also to you know, send people out there were experimenting with a gimmick and see how the house reacts to it. I mean that's the real test is when you see people right there in person and they and they those guys had heard how crowds react their entire lives. They were very and tuned to it. So the fact that it's surprising though that you know, within six days or whatever, you've got you know, you've got the Warrior, I mean, the the Undertaker. It's three different shows, three you know, you know, he barely got a chance between traveling and getting the Arenas. That's probably that's it. And you know, he talks about why why he really didn't get a chance to see that survivorsers when he did the pile driver in the the chair of how it went down and see it on video where because he said, I when I was shown that show was over, I had to get I had to get out and had to be in Canada. I had shows that I had to do before I was going to go to Texas. So he didn't get a chance to really see it. And I'm sure you did the same thing I did. You kind of like looking when they go out there because at that point if having seen it, and then also I'm sure every all the guys are saying, you know, this is the way it is, this is what happened in you know, didn't even get close and as Mark says that his relationship with Hope was never the same after that, and you you can you you say over and over again, you know, like why why why do that? There's a lot of things that I'm referring to the Survivor series. You know, how Hope sold that and people, you know, talk about the man, you know, some of the reviews after that that Hope really put that over, you know, showing how fear that pile driver or that under that undertakers you know, moved there the finishing move that you know, how devastating it could be. Well when into a chair however it was. But you're also you know, Mark's concerned. Was I don't want to get the reputation out there that I hurt people. That was his fear, you know, And besides the fact that here I did, I you know, killed the golden goose here that Vince is gonna send me packing. So uh, you know, I was watching closely and you know, you like kind of look at that and say, how did how did that go out there? He's certainly a pro, but uh, you know he stileft the wonder of these days. What what was behind all that?
Speaker 3: Probably a lot of things, but we think we talked about on some harvisse here's any one where Hogan's not saying it's the headshot to the chair. It's the he had him so clenched up upside down that when he dropped him, his body you know, yeah, well spasm, but in reality it doesn't if you even watch it. I'm not Hogan, But also Hogan's a no liar. So I don't know which one.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll you know however that went down, but like I said, it was it certainly helped create the heat there that between that six days of you know, was Hulk going to the hospital? Is he going to be well enough to go in there to be able to to you know, to try and get his title back. I'm surprised there wasn't a little more of that going into it, but you know that it did what they intended it to do as far as getting the belt back to Hogan, although it was short lived, but you know, that's kind of the way they sold it. And as of that night anyway, the Hulkster had the strap back around his waist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the evil Jack Tunny by Ringside as well. So we had to make sure that he was going to lay down the law and he was going to be to make sure nothing goes wrong. But guess what things do go wrong? When Tony's around. Rick Flair comes out again and we have more shenanigans. No one's paying attention, and this time it's Hok Cogan who does a little cheating. And this is where an answer was brought up to everyone, what the hell's inside of the urn of the Undertaker because we didn't know we would hear rumors like, oh, it's the ashes of the deceased that he his victims. Oh shit, okay, or it's his parents. Uh it's ashes, or last night's barbecue, or or green smoke or years later a flashlight. There's a lot of things inside that eurn. It's like a giant purse, my wife's purser. You open there. Uh, this time it's ashes. Here gets ashes in the face that allows Hogan to pick up the win here and Hogan is the new champion. But again it's not the end. Like, if anything, this is a three parter and I'm not sure if we're gonna do it, but like this sets up Royal Rumble nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 4: It's all open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, you couldn't. You couldn't let soever series be its own show. You couldn't let this Tuesday in Texas be it show. But at least on this one, they don't suddenly start announcing it the Royal Rumble. The world title will be on the line immediately. They wait for a few weeks.
Speaker 4: For that time, they didn't They didn't bring Tonny in the ring right away. And give them a microphone and say, after careful consideration and consultation, of course, the belt is now null and void. No one has it. We're going to put it.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be that we're rolling on into. So if you bought this pay per view and the other one, those didn't matter, this one matters. You should buy this one. This one would really matter, guys, seriously.
Speaker 4: Right, well, gotta sell. And Royal Rumble did pretty well. Oh still, yeah, I think it even did. I think it did a little better than Survivor Series ninety one. But yeah, the big four we're still well, sure, we're sure still rolling along despite you know, little hiccup there trying to do this other event, sneaking this other one in there and seeing what reaction they were going to get. But it also you got to give credit to the WWE that they were experimenting with all different kinds of ways to to bring this action to the folks and pay per view. However they were going to do it, and uh, you know, and they kept experimenting. This was one that didn't work. But as we've seen, look how many events we have now where you know, to me, that would have been insane to think we're going to do on every month, like, oh my god, because it was to me the season was tough enough. And then you know where we just go through the four and then Wrestle Meeting and then you know, now it's that, you know Monday we start all that, we start all over again, that it was a different time back then.
Speaker 3: I know, it's so weird to think, but again, I think we brought up at the beginning, like why wouldn't why couldn't you wait a little bit, Why couldn't you wait for a month, two weeks, three weeks? Have your other shows be allowed to be part of the production, the merchandise, the selling point of this, You and Gene selling this for weeks on end, and I don't. It's just so bizarre to think, why do it so fast? Why do it so quick? And I can't really think of a reason. I can't be the reason of oh, well we got to get to take or the title off taker because Hogan's upset. That can't be real. Because you sided to the start of Starvicera's any One was promoting this Tuesday in Texas with Jake and Macho, so obviously you already had plans for all this happening, so that rumor can't be real in my eyes. The reasoning of having it six days later I can't honestly figure out. Because we've talked about Vince being a genius when it comes to promotion. But why, in your personal opinion, you know, you've been in the business, you've done other things. Why have it so close?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: I don't care that it happened again because I'm as a wrestling fan it was cool more wrestling, But why as a business and a promoter, why six days? Why so close?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: I think, as we've talked about for that, it was a timely thing and they wanted to see can we build momentum and then act on it quickly and see with the same you know, instead of letting it burn or let it or having to keep building it. Can we can we capitalize on a momentum that we've started right here and then pay it off quickly, which that happens all the time. Now, Steve, now you can do it now. They don't wait, And I to me, I've said before, you know that I don't like that as much because I used to. I used to love the way that they could actually have time to build characters and actually have time to build the storyline for weeks and weeks and weeks to where you just couldn't wait to see it all play out. But as we've seen, it's very acceptable today to do that to get more of these quick payoffs. And I think you know, they were along thinking along the lines of, Okay, let's let's have the ability to do this, that we can build something quickly and then maybe it's not it's not a three month payoff, it's it's a week payoff, and and it's maybe it's a quick way for us to turn it around and we could bring somebody else into this and then catapult this into another you know situation, because you know, we we had we had seen these guys working together before whatever with a Jake and Rany whatever, and and you can could wrap stuff up and then uh, pay it off a week later there that you've done that, and then boom, you got something else to go on, and then maybe that is a three month build up whatever. But it gave them a different option, and I think they were just trying to see, uh if this would work, and it didn't work enough, it didn't work well enough for them to feel that Yeah, this is something we should start doing, do it more often. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only thing I think of after listening to you was the Saturday Night's Main event that when NBC canceled their contract and they had to move off Fox for a few episodes and then didn't. They weren't on prime time on NBC for at least fifteen twenty years, So this was like the end of all those options is maybe like, oh, maybe Jake and Macha Man can boost our ratings up for this event and then we can get a bigger contract with NBC again or Fox. We can build that up again. We'll use this event to do that. I have no idea, but we talked about Ustpinny and nine I think before where it's like, maybe we can use this event to show the world, Hey, look what we can do. We can do other things like Permarning, boxing, reporting the UFC. Honestly, I don't understand the reasoning, but just to show you that you can do it is a little strange in my eyes, because vincck man if I feel like it's not someone who just does something like that. He around this time, he has a plan, he has an execution, he has an idea and maybe this was the idea and you need to go with it because it's vinsic man and you know he wants to do what he wants to do. But in reality, though we've talked about some officers and anyone, we talked about this Tuesay in Texas. For you personally, these two events, you were involved with both of them. The highlight for you though, is obviously the Macho Man promo here with you and him, because it's a monumental moment and if anyone should watch something, it should be that moment. Correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Well, and also just that that whole storyline, how they pull it off, and the genius of Jake, who wasn't original, He didn't you know, everybody had their own way they delivered things. Randy of course had his, but Jake was a whole different animal. I mean, his whole thing was that slow burned you know, I'm thinking last you know, and you're just like, oh wow, he just sucked you right in. You want to hear every word, and I believed it. You believe everything he was saying. Whatever he thinks he was some sick jerk or whatever he was, but man, he was intense. That's so that whole storyline. But of course, yeah, that you get a chance to check out that promo and now you know, now you know the behind it, behind the scenes on this. Uh that I hope it makes it even more more interesting for you to take a look at. But just really a masterclass between the two of them, two of the best of the business ever, uh and cutting promos. I hope some of the new guys, you know, go back and take a look at some of these guys because they were they were masters at it, and uh, it's it's really it's really great to go to go and and that I'm enjoying this so much going back as I'm doing deep dives into some of this stuff, and I because I I forget a lot of them.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, wow, wow, wo fantasy, real history.
Speaker 3: Then Wie