Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's your buddy who swaps sandwiches in your lunch alley. Ward, and welcome to another episode of smologies, which are condensed, shortened all ages, classroom friendly episodes of ologies classics. So they're little and they are safe for littles. Okay, so this one bugs bugs, bugs, bugs bugs. So you may not know this about me yet, but I'm nuts about bugs.
Speaker 2: I love them.
Speaker 1: I have had a fascination since I was a kid. I used to get bug books for every holiday and every birthday. My walls now, as an adult, are covered in bug posters and pinned insects. So this week's topic is one of my favorite ologies, of course, But even more importantly, this particular ologist honestly changed the course of my life. She was just a friend of a friend at one point years ago, and she invited me one day to the La County Natural History Museum in this lab that was off limits to the public, and it was an insectory. Now this is a bug lover's dream.
Speaker 2: So there are.
Speaker 1: Terrariums of millipedes and cockroaches. There's butterfly chrysalises hanging like these tiny chandeliers, dragonfly niads, and gurgling tanks. There's a freezer full of tarantula molts. And at the time I was going through really sad period in my life and not knowing any of this. This entomologist just casually suggested that I volunteer at the museum, and I did, and talking to kids about bugs one morning.
Speaker 2: A week lifted my spirits. It changed my life.
Speaker 1: After doing it for a few months, I somehow was offered a job as a science correspondent for CBS for a show called Innovation Nation. It's still on every Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: Eight years later. I'm still doing the show, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Doing exactly what I wanted to do since I was twelve, all because I took this tour at an insectory and I loved this interview.
Speaker 2: I love this friend. It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: So the word entomology comes from the Greek meaning to cut up into little pieces, which is not what you should do when you find a bug in your face. Rather, it's a reference to insects bodies being cut or segmented, so having a notch at the waist. There you go, and this guest is an entomologist. She's done a TED talk called learning to love nature in a big city. She's an author on one of my favorite books called Wild La, which every Angelino should own a copy of. It tells you all of the things that you see out and about all the critters and the plants that you see in the parks.
Speaker 2: It's great. I will link those on my website.
Speaker 1: She's also the manager of Community Science at the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles, one of.
Speaker 2: My favorite places.
Speaker 1: So get ready to hear about bugs, licking cockroaches, social insects, less social insects, lots of legs, how to be an amateur scientist, and why bugs should be your friends. So please ready your heart and your ears for Leela Higgins. How she.
Speaker 3: Alogy knowledges.
Speaker 1: If someone at a cocktail party were like, what, what's your deal? What would you sell them?
Speaker 2: Hmmm?
Speaker 4: Well? Usually I you know, I'm like, I'm bug geek. Usually there's no children at cocktail parties, but sometimes there are, and then they're like, Oh, I'm gonna go hang out with the children now and talk all about bugs for the next you know, a couple of hours.
Speaker 1: That's actually a good question I have. I just complimented my own question. This is an important question I have, Why are kids owning the buns and adults are like kill it with fire? What's that? What happens?
Speaker 4: I think? I mean, I was really into bugs as a kid. I grew up on a farm in England and I dug up aunt nests trying to find the queen. I like, would put glasses over bumblebees to observe them. I would try to follow the butterflies down the lane and see where they were going.
Speaker 1: And then so that sounds idyllic, like following a butterfly down a lane in England? Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: To the woods? Basically, not the scary woods. There were badges down there.
Speaker 1: What is the most fulfilling thing about being having studied bugs?
Speaker 4: Well, getting to work at the Naturalist Museum and being around other bug geeks and getting to go into the collection and pull out drawers and see just these spectacular specimens from all over the world, whether they're you know, the big showy things that the crowd pleases, or whether it's the hundreds of tiny little wasps or tiny little flies.
Speaker 1: What's a show stopping bug? When you say like the showstoppers, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: So like goliath beetles, or hercules beetles, Like, some of these beetles are almost the size of our fist. Yeah, huge giant. And then when holding one of those large beetles in your hands, you're just like, oh my god, it's so much stronger than I thought it was going to be a little bit scary, stronger, like Heaveny tried to use their huge jaws, powerful jaws to say hello, I'm pretty good about not touching that end. Okay, the ones that have large mandibles, especially large slicy mandibles.
Speaker 1: Slicy mandibles. I have a question. Insects are what half of all species of living animals on Earth something like that.
Speaker 4: I just know that there's about a million described species, but they estimate that could be up to like ten million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they outnumber mammals and oh fish way and birds and birds yeah, etcetera, et cetera. So in nineteen forty nine, John Burdon Sanderson Haldane was a British evolutionary biologist, and he was credited as noting that God, if one exists, has an inordinate fondness for beetles. He actually like laid it out, said the creator would appear as in doubt with a passion for stars on the one hand and for beetles on the other. God is just in a shack in the backyard, tinkering over and over, being like, man cannot get enough of these beetles, can't stop making them. I can't stop so much. When you're gravitating toward a certain bug to study, do you go for like really gossipy behaviors, like do you are you?
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, this wasp.
Speaker 1: They're parasites. They infect people like zombies. They sting people. They don't even make Connie like, what's the deal? Wasps?
Speaker 4: Well, the wasps that I actually studied and worked on right after I graduated from UC Riverside, So that's my ala mata. UC Riverside Entomology program amazing place. I studied biological control, and I think that I was really into that because it was, Oh, we don't have to use so much pesticides out in the world. We can use insects. I mean, there are other creatures you can use for biocontrol, but I was obviously focusing on insects as biocontrol aid.
Speaker 1: And biocontrol is when you release an insect to kill another insect instead of spraying everything with like agent orange or something.
Speaker 4: Basically, Okay, that's a great way lay definition for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you guys ready for some serious insect gossip? I hope so. So she was working on this project with the glassy winged sharpshooter. They are not native to southern California. They come from the southeaster United States. But they love to hang out on citrus and grapes, which is annoying because they poop everywhere. But also they spread this bacterium, and this bacterium is bad news. It causes diseases such as you ready for this sweet gum die back, cherry plum leaf scorch, and phony peach disease. These are awesome names. So it spreads all these diseases.
Speaker 2: So what do they do? Well?
Speaker 1: Leela was working on this project where she was helping introduce a wasp that would eat the eggs of the glassy winged sharpshooter so that the glassy beings sharpshooter wouldn't spread the bacterium. Pretty cool. Also, these wasps have the cutest name ever. They're like little tiny superheroes.
Speaker 4: And they're called fairy wasps. Oh and they're tiny. They're like like one to two millimeters long. The babies there, and they're some of them are kind of golden. So it's like these little literally like with these really beautiful gosmel wings. They sound really beautiful and amazing, right, And the only problem was I was literally collecting these wasps on a daily basis, and they're tiny, and you use a little thing called an aspirsa, So you got like a little like tube that goes into your mouth and then you suck on and then and then the little wasps go into into the vial and there's a little screen so it doesn't then you don't suck them into your own mouth.
Speaker 1: So it's like a proboscis for humans, because now a proboscis is a tubular mouthpart, like if a crazy straw grew out of your face, like a yeah, that's a prosthetic proboscis. What is the deal with with like bees, ants being social insects and the rest of them being like this apple core is mine?
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so there's some uh wasps, bees, ants and wasps right, the hymenoptra there are many of them that are social insects, but there are wasps and bees who are not so like carpenter bees are more like solitary bees. And you see the black ones flying around, which are the females, and the like kind of tan colored ones and the males. We call them teddy bear bees.
Speaker 1: But they're huge. They're so pretty. I I once didn't know what it was and I tried to kill one, which I shouldn't have and I and but the joke is on me because I used to rolled up magazine and I and I blew out a window and then I had to pay for the window and college.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they're solitary. So a lot of people expect that most bees and wasps are social, but there are that are solitary and don't do the whole social thing.
Speaker 1: So different types of bees might be wallflowers preferring to hang out alone, and others might be social butterflies except their bees.
Speaker 4: But there are obviously benefits to having that kind of social life because they protect their sisters.
Speaker 1: But they're usually ladies though, like when you see a huge colony, they're usually sterile ladies. Right.
Speaker 4: So, if we're talking about the beehives, like the the European honey bees, which are the bees that we see like all around here. Again, not a species that is from North America. They're from Europe. It's mostly females. But then there are the drones. But you know they're not doing as much work as the women are, right.
Speaker 1: But they don't. Drones don't sting. Males don't sting.
Speaker 4: No, they because it's a modified ovipositor. That is what the stinger is for a bee.
Speaker 1: So an ovipositor is kind of like this pointy tube structure at the end of a lady insect butt and she uses it to lay eggs. It's kind of like a T shirt gun, but for your babies. So drones do, in fact have larger eyes, and they don't gather nectar or pollen or do really any work. Their primary goal is to mate and die. I have some questions that people wrote in that they can I rapid fire question you, Oh my gosh, yes, But before your questions, we donate to a cause of the ologists choosing And this week it's going to the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, where I met Leela Higgins and also where she works in community science, which are programs that get local people engaged to help collect data for scientists, and you can learn more about those programs at NAHEM dot org or at the link in the show notes. And if you're not in LA, if you want to find community or civic sometimes called citizen science programs all over the country, Leela says, you can check out sistarter dot com, which will also be linked on my website. So thank you to sponsors for making our donation possible. Okay, let's hear your questions. Okay, Dave Long wants to know what's with all the legs.
Speaker 4: The six legs to three pairs of legs. Well, they're in the arthropod groups, which is jointed legged creatures, and insects have six versus like their racknets that have eight versus. Some of the other creatures like crustaceans that have seven pairs and whatnot. Why do they have six versus? I don't know the answer to that, but obviously those legs help them to get around. And some insects don't have wings, they've de evolved wings, like Madagascan hiss and cockroaches per se. But those legs are this method of locomotion on on land that works really well for them, so.
Speaker 1: It gets them around crawling crawling wise.
Speaker 4: Some of them what they have? Some of them have stultorial legs which are for jumping. Good for jumping. Some of them have fasorial legs, which are good for digging. What are some of the other modified legs going back to all my undergraduate classes.
Speaker 1: Are petopalps in the front, but there that's.
Speaker 4: More of the arachnids have, like the scorpions have petipalps.
Speaker 1: Is it true that and that exoskeleton rigidity is why insects could not maintain their massive prehistoric sizing? Brandy Demora wants to know this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the largest the largest insects we have right now in our current climate, with our current like pressure on the planet is about the size of a fist. Which are the those giant amazing beetles. But back in the day, when there were different climate conditions and pressure conditions on the planet, there were some giant, oh my gosh, I wish I could go back in time, giant dragonflies that had like a foot long wingspan.
Speaker 1: What fossils? How loud were they? Do you think?
Speaker 4: I can only imagine? You know what dragonfly? Sorry, a hummingbird comes like right behind your head if you're imagine that multiplied by ten. So I don't know. I mean, that's an extrapolation. Who knows.
Speaker 1: Eric Martin wants to know what the white goo is that comes out of a bug when you squish them.
Speaker 4: White goo or yellow goo because when you okay, so you know when you have a uh driving down the road in your windshield and a bug splats on it. Yeah, if it's a lot of yellow, that's usually the fat body of a female insect that maybe was like got all this stuff ready for her eggs. I don't know about the white stuff though, but.
Speaker 1: Maybe they mean the yellow like you know when you smash a thing and it's like and it looks like Twinkie filling comes out, you know what I mean, I know.
Speaker 4: About the whole white thing like I've definitely I haven't squished that many bugs.
Speaker 1: Surprisingly, I think he must be talking about fat. Okay, sorry, storytime, quick diversion from the rapid fire. This one time I was in when I was taking an animal bioclass. I had to a dissected cockroach and we had dissected all kinds of stuff. We had dissected pigeons and fetal pigs that were like the size of a puppy and incredibly heartbreaking. But who it was time to kill a cockroach. You had to go to this tank full of custus who cared about Nobody cares about it, But I remember slicing it open and a lot of like these feathery fat deposits came out.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: Because this is so the spiracles inside of an insect, so they insects do not breathe the same way as humans do.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 4: They don't breathe through their mouth and then the oxygen goes through the lungs into the circulatory system. Instead, insects have these things called spiracles along the side of their body which will tiny holes, and then oxygen is brought in through those holes through these like very white When I've dissected some insects, they like those tubes kind of like white nopalescents kind of pop out.
Speaker 1: I have a do you have any bugs that you're afraid of? Like? Are there like for me? I love bugs. I'm wearing a shirt this is bugs on it that was made for me. But like a cockroach is no friend of mine and I and I can't really explain it, Like if I see a cockroach in my house or especially inside, I get terrified. But I can hold up like a spider on my face and not care.
Speaker 4: Like what you wouldn't hold a cockroach.
Speaker 1: I could hold a cockroach.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm just laughing because I've licked a cockroach in front of children before to show them that it's not dirty.
Speaker 2: She's a hero.
Speaker 4: I was like, you know how people think cockroaches are dirty? Kids. This was literally in a museum program many a number of years ago. Cockroaches on dirty. This cockroach lives in the jungle and from Madagascar, and I was like, they're not dirty, and I literally licked it in front of children.
Speaker 1: Had that go over.
Speaker 4: They thought it was amazing. They thought it was the coolest person that ever existed until they went home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I know that they're really fastidious, right, They're really like they're in depth groomers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they having particles on their body isn't necessarily something that's going to feel great to them. So yeah, yeah, I've see cockroach our cor coroaches like really going to town clean rooming, right, Yeah, And I mean they live so the madagas and cock coroaches we have at the museum, they live in these amazing little habitats that we create for them, and we feed them all these little vegetables and sweet potato and a little bits of mushroom and corn and all of this other stuff.
Speaker 1: They live better lives than I do. So do you have any closing advice, like if someone wants to become an entomologist, if someone's interested in the field, Like what advice would you give to a future entomologist, Like find your niche, like study the study the unglamorous flies no one cares about.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, there's just not that many entomologists in the world. There's just not that many out there who have the entomology focused in background. And I've literally worked at so many different places and I'm the only entomology expert there, And at the Museum there's a bunch of other entomology experts, which is awesome because I get to hang out with all these bug geeks. But yes, if you are going to be an entomologist and be a research scientist, focus in on something that is a little bit less studied.
Speaker 1: I hope one day there's some kind of insect named after you, Leila, because I feel like you deserve it. Jeez, So what did we learn? Pick weird bugs to study, don't inhale them, and never ever ever feel alone because there are bugs everywhere and they can be your friends. Also, volunteer somewhere you love if you're bummed out, and google Leela Higgins and follow her on social media. She just did it to head x talk. She killed it, So if you have eighteen minutes, look that up. Learning to Love Nature in a Big City So good. Ologies is on Instagram and Twitter at just Ologies, and I'm on both at ali Ward with one l and ologies. Merch is available at Ologi's merch Talk, and of course we have more somologies episodes, including a whole one about bees, one about eating bugs, plus one on snails and wolves and veterinary science and the moon and dinosaurs. So download more at aliward dot com slash smologies. And in the interest of keeping these short, we're going to list in the show notes all the people who worked on the show. But extra big thanks to Mercedes Maitland and Seek, Fredriguez Thomas and Jared Sleeper of mind Gem Media for the edits on this episode. And if you stick around until the end, I give you a piece of advice, and this week it's that when you're at a restaurant and people start singing happy birthday to someone, even if you don't know them, join in, because, first off, singing is fun, and also wouldn't it be nice if a stranger wish you happy birthday and saying to you too? I actually like to keep a birthday candle in my wallet just in case I find out it's someone's birthday and they haven't made a wish yet. Ten out of ten, always glad, I have one. Okay, have a great day. Smologites, byebye, somag.
Speaker 3: Stagy Saudies.
Speaker 5: Get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and do you or Margarito wood fired pizzas served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online.
Speaker 2: Tesco.
Speaker 5: Every little helps available in most stories prices varying express