Speaker 2: Hey, everybody.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Well, we're talking about your money.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: We're continuing a powerful series called Financial Fitness. Rick is opening God's Word and showing us how to manage what we've been given with wisdom, faith, and purpose. And I know if you apply these biblical principles, you'll start to experience true financial freedom and lasting peace. Today we're continuing with part two of a message called The Habits of Financial Health.
Speaker 2: I remember in the very first year of church, I led a guy to Christ. And he was a nice guy and he genuinely was converted to Christ. But he was a dreamer who never could make anything happen and it was simply one big idea after another. And one day he came to me and he said, Pastor Rick, this church has changed my life and I'm working on a deal that is gonna make Saddleback Church $ 50 million. Well now as a 25 year old pastor, I'm gonna listen to that. Years later, I don't pay that attention at all. I want to say, show me the money. This dream is just a bunch, and it seemed like about the time he'd get this big dream for $ 50 million, and then before it was closed, he jumped to a bigger one. No, we're not doing that anymore because this one's going to bring in $ 75 million. $ 75 million. And then, you know, instead of closing that deal, well, no, we're not going to do that anymore. We're doing the $ 100 million one. And it kept on doing. And at the end of the year, I realized I had paid for all the lunches. Beware the guy who's got the billion dollar idea, but he can't afford to have his suit pressed. Or pay the meal, pay the bills. Just go out and get a job, buddy. Just get a job, okay? You know, you don't wait for the ship to come in. You swim out to it and do that. So here's what the Bible says. Look at the next verse. Proverbs 21, five. Steady plotting brings prosperity. Hasty speculation brings poverty. Circle the word hasty. Here's another law for you. You make financial decisions slowly. If you wanna be wise, you make financial decisions slowly. If it's a good deal, it'll be a good deal tomorrow. You don't have to make, you know, when you're in a business, when you're in a store and that salesman is pressuring you to buy right now and it is a major priced item, you need to go home and think about it. You need to sleep on it. You need to take your time. If it's a good deal, it'll be a good deal tomorrow. Hasty speculation leads to poverty. It means you get in a hurry. You get emotionally involved. You want to do it now. Now notice it says steady plotting brings prosperity. Circle the word plotting. This is where he's saying you just keep on doing the right thing. You do it a little bit at a time, but over a long time, little things build up. You save a little, save a little, save a little, save a little, and pretty soon it all adds up. Steady plotting brings prosperity. I've mentioned this in every session we've done in this series. The most powerful factor in mathematics is compounding interest. And over a period of time, little becomes much with compounding interest. And over a long period of time, turtles always beat rabbits. Because the rabbits get in a hurry. And then they stop over here to have a party with so and so. And then they go over here to do this. And the turtle's just plodding along and crosses the finish line before everybody else. So God says, if you want my blessing on your finances, first, you gotta remember that I'm your security and I'm your source. And number two, you gotta make your money honestly. You gotta... Be fair in your deals and you can't charge high interest. You don't get involved in get rich quick schemes and scams. Hasty speculation, you do steady plotting, all right? Number three, the third habit you have to develop is honor God first. I honor God first with my money. Now, I don't have to spend a lot of time on this one. We can just kind of review it quickly and get on to the others because most of you know this principle, the principle of tithing. The bottom line is this. Whatever I want God to bless, I put him first in. If I want God to bless my marriage, I put him first in my marriage. If I want God to bless my time, I put him first in my time. I'm giving the first part of every day in a quiet time. If I want God to bless my business, I put him first in my business. If I want God to bless my money, I put him first in my money. Now this is the principle of tithing. They're right off the top. I give the first 10% back to God. Now, again, I don't have to explain this in detail. We've talked about this a lot. So just look at these four verses. The promise, the purpose, the place, and the day. That's what these four verses are. Here's the promise about tithing. Proverbs 3. Honor the Lord by giving him the leftovers of all your income, and he will fill your barns to overflow. Oh, it doesn't say that, does it? It says what? First, what does it say? First part, first part. Now, Kay and I, 36 years ago, said, okay, look, if we're in debt to anybody, we're not gonna be in debt to God. God gets paid first, right off the top. If I make 10 bucks, the first dollar goes back to him. If I make 100 bucks, the first 10 bucks go back to God. I may be in debt to you, I may be in debt to other people, I am not gonna be in debt to God because it all comes from God in the first place and I want his blessing on the rest of it. So the promise is, if I honor him with the first part of my income, he will bless me financially. now what's the purpose of that why does God tell us to tithe next verse Deuteronomy 14 the purpose of tithing is because God is poor no it doesn't say that the purpose of tithing is to teach you to always put God first in your lives God doesn't need my money God doesn't need your money he wants what it represents he wants me to trust him And when I tithe, when I give the first part of my income back to God before anything else is a gift to him, it says three things. Past, present, future. God, thank you. I'm grateful for all you've given me in the past. You're number one in my life right now. And I'm going to trust you in the future. That's the purpose of it, okay? The place, where do I tithe? I mean, do I tithe the United Way, or do I tithe to my brother who's been out of work for three years? No, that's charity. Tithing is an act of worship. It goes to God, not to my friend, not to charity. It goes to God. It's an act of worship. Malachi 3.10. Bring to my storehouse a full tenth. Now, by the way, what's a storehouse? It's the temple. He says, bring to the temple where you worship me, bring to my storehouse, a full tenth of what you earn. Test me in this, says the Lord, and I will open the windows of heaven for you and pour out all the blessings you need. He says, I dare you. This is a Pepsi challenge test. Test me in this. He said, you bring it to me as an act of worship. Now, when do I do it? Well, you do it on the day you worship. First Corinthians 16 says this. On the first day of every week, That's the day we worship, Sunday. Put aside some of what you've earned during the week and use it for the offering. The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn. As I said, if I make 10 bucks, I give God a return, a dollar. If I make $ 100, I give him $ 10. Now, on the first day of the week, the first part of my day and the first part of my money, then God is saying, you're really number one in my life. Now, circle the phrase put aside. Put aside. Because notice, that means you gotta plan this. This is not an impulsive thing, you gotta plan it. Because I don't normally plan to bring money to worship. Okay, so you got that, you know about tithing. The plan, the purpose, the promise, and the day. Now, let's go to the fourth. Number four is save money wisely. If I want God's blessing on my finance, if I want to get out of debt, I must learn to save money wisely. And notice, this is number four. First, I remember God as my source. Second, I make the money honestly. Third, I honor God first. And fourth, I save some of it. You say, Rick, are you telling me to save my money before I pay my bills? That's exactly what I'm telling you to do. Because that's what the Bible says. If you wait until all your bills are paid off to start saving, you will never save anything. Most people are gonna get to retirement flat broke because they spent all their money and never saved anything. The Bible clearly states you pay God first and you pay yourself second and then you spend the rest on your bills and repayment and things like that. If you don't, you will never save anything. John D. Rockefeller was the Bill Gates of his day. He was the first mega-millionaire in America. And they asked him one time, said, how do you get to be a mega-millionaire? He says, the 10-10-80 principle. I tithe the first 10%, I save the second 10%, and I live on 80%. The 10-10-80 principle. Kay and I have practiced this, well, and even more than that, for many, many years. And if you do this, you're systematically putting God first and putting your savings second, it will start to add up over time. Did you know that God says your savings account tests your IQ? It shows how smart you are. By looking at your savings, you can tell how wise you are with your money. Notice this verse, Proverbs 21, 20. The wise man, in other words, the smart man, the intelligent man, the wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spends whatever he gets. Uh-oh. Okay, that's a verse you probably ought to put on your refrigerator door. Actually, you ought to put it on a Post-it note and wrap it around your credit card. The wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spends whatever he gets. Did you know that the average Japanese saves 25% of their income? The average European saves 15% of their income. Last year, the average American spent 1% more than they made. We are not saving anything. And not only is the government being irresponsible, we are being irresponsible. And we're not saving. And as a result, you're gonna get to retirement and there's nothing gonna be there. Let me give you a little question that will help you start saving. You simply ask this one. Do I really need this item? And if you'll just stop before you buy anything, just stop and ask yourself, do I really need this? Because you could be taking that money and putting it, instead of spending it on this little trinket, putting it in the bank, putting in savings, putting in investment, and when you are saving money, your money is working for you instead of you working for your money. Most people never get out of debt because they spend their entire lives working for money. When you start saving it, your money works for you because even while you're sleeping, it's making interest. and your money is making money for you. When you're saved, you make money work for you. Now let's look at some of the principles of saving and investing from the word of God. Proverbs 24 says this, verse 27. Develop your business first before building your house. Did you know that verse was in the Bible? Develop your business before building your house. What does that verse mean? It means before you go buy the new drapes, before you go redecorate, before you buy another piece of furniture or art, you ought to take that money instead and invest it in something that's gonna make money for you. Now most of you don't have your own businesses. And these days, everybody was self-employed, everybody had their own business. But he's saying, take your money and instead of buying a thing with it, take it and put it in something that makes money with it so you're investing and you're making more money all along. Develop your business first before building your house. See, here's the problem most people do. They get a raise and when you get a raise, you know what you ought to do? Keep living at the same level and put that money, sock it away in the bank. or in some investment. Don't raise your standard living. What most people do as soon as they get a raise, they go out and they buy a new car. That's the last thing you need to do. First place, when you buy a new car, the moment you drive it off the lot, it's worth $ 10, 000 less than you paid for it. But you're still gonna pay the interest on all that even though it's depreciated. You have just invested in the depreciating item that's gonna get cheaper and cheaper while you're paying more and more interest and it's going like this and that creates debt. Now, I'm serious about this. If you will take the money that you're spending on things, instead of going and buying that big plasma screen that maybe you can't afford, what you need to do is take that money and put it in the bank and let it sit there for years. You need to get as much pleasure out of saving as you do out of spending. A lot of people, when they get depressed, they wanna go shopping. And there is a rush in spending money. But you should get that attitude and change it to saving money. Say, oh, honey, I had such a great day today. What'd you do? I put $ 50 more in the bank. Well, good. Now, I'm serious about this. I retired at 47. Why? Because I had been saving since I was 17. Why? I haven't taken a salary from this church in 10 years. In fact, 10 years ago, I added up all the church that paid me in the first 25 years and I gave it all back. Kay and I live off the savings of our investments today. I do this because I want to do this. I don't do this to make money. But I had been saving systematically over the years and it adds up. Now, how do you do that? Well, in the early years, we were just very, very careful. I went out and rather than going buy a new car, I found a car in the penny saver over in Leisure World for $ 500. Now that's a car. Now I went over there and it was a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass and the paint was chipping on it and the roof was all ratted out but it only had 38,000 miles on it. I'm going 500 bucks, 38,000 miles, I can put up with this. So I bought this car for $ 500. I drove it across the border to Tijuana and spent $ 1, 500 getting a completely new paint job and a completely new interior. With the fuzzy dice and everything. The velvet Elvis in the back. The dog's playing poker. No, I'm just kidding. Got it all. And then I drove it for six years. And after six years, I got tired of it, I gave it to Pastor Tom. It's true, I did. And then Tom drove it for, I don't know, five or six more years, and then he gave it to another pastor. That car's somewhere out there in pastor land today. Okay? Now, that per mile per gallon cost on that car was minuscule compared to yours. The car I drive right now is a 2000 Ford and we saved until I could pay cash for it. I wasn't about to pay interest on a depreciating item. Because that's bad stewardship. So I saved until we could afford it and I paid cash for that car. I haven't had a car payment in years. Wouldn't you like to have that? Okay, now what was I doing with that money? Putting it in savings. and letting it make more money, and letting it make more money, and letting it make more money. Okay, and so this is the principle, save money wisely.
Speaker 1: You know, people are being transformed by these messages. In fact, here's Rick with a letter from one of our listeners.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you enjoyed the broadcast today. I love to end our time together by sharing letters from listeners. because we get so many great ones. This one's from a woman named Elena. Dear Pastor Rick, I've been struggling with insomnia for many years. That's a common problem. It has inevitably affected my family, and I've been irritable. I've been short-tempered with them. I've even gone to sleep therapists in hopes of regaining at least five hours of continual sleep without sleeping pills that do more harm than good. But it was all unsuccessful until I started listening to Daily Hope. You know, quieting my mind, Pastor Rick, with the messages from the Bible and my desire to glorify God when I turn out the lights with the Daily Hope messages has brought me back to a stable sleeping pattern. That's amazing, Elena. That's amazing. She writes, every morning now I wake up after more than five to eight hours of sleep and I wake up saying, thank you, Lord, for another night of peaceful sleep. With full comprehension, I Turn on Daily Hope again before I start my day. So she's ending her evening with Daily Hope and she's starting her day with Daily Hope. That's pretty amazing. She said, Pastor Rick, life happens and sometimes my insomnia problems come back. However, they're not as frequent and they don't last as long as they used to before. So thanks for your messages of hope from God. I now function with more clarity and more spring in my step. Ha ha, Elena. Thank you for writing. I love you. And I'm so encouraged that these messages have brought some peace to your mind. And I'm going to be praying for you this week that your nerves will be calmed, that your peace will increase, that you will be given sleep. You know, there's a verse in the Bible where it says God wants his loved ones to get their proper rest. So thank you for writing to me. And those of you listening, I encourage you to write me. Let me know what's going on in your life. It's one way that we can partner together. Thanks for your financial gifts. Thanks for your prayers. And thanks for your letters. God bless you all.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you'd like to let Rick know how this broadcast has blessed you, he would love it.
Speaker 2: Please feel free.
Speaker 1: To send him an email at rick at pastorrick.com. That's rick at pastorrick.com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.