Speaker 1: Broadcasting from Studio a Here at Proven Winners, Color Choice Shrubs. It's The Gardening Simplified Show with Stacy Hervella, me Rick weisst and our engineer and producer Adrianna Robinson. Today we talk about texture, one of my favorite subjects. It describes the surface quality of an object that can be seen or felt. And when designing a landscape, it's that visual texture as opposed to the tactile touch that probably is more important, or is it. My experience in the garden center industry for years was watching people as they shop. They love to touch plants and texture is important in the landscape. Speaking of touch, I'm wearing my retired summer washed linen shirt just because it's nice and soft and bumpy and I like it and it has great desk.
Speaker 2: It's very nice. Yeah, that's a really great shirt.
Speaker 1: Thank you. So texture is all around us throughout our life. I mean, you think about music, you think about all the layers in music. I hang around a lot of musical people and they often talk about music texture. There is such a thing, and if you think about it, all the instruments coming together to create something that's emotional and beautiful. Layers upon layers. That's texture in music, and so it's important there. It's important in our landscape because it's going to affect the overall emotion and character of your landscape. Proper balance super important, so we look at fine, medium and coarse objects. But Stacy, I think for me, when we talk about texture, contrast is super super important to me. Dynamic harmone kind of creating that spatially pleasing outdoor space. I believe that it's the contrast between objects that really makes texture an important component of the landscape.
Speaker 2: You are one hundred percent right, And I think that, you know, if we're looking at our own gardens or containers or whatever in our landscape and something kind of feels like it's falling flat, I think most people's first instinct is to blame color, right, that it needs more color, or the colors off, or you know, something like that. But I would say that nine times out of ten, it's actually a texture issue and not a color issue. It's just that, you know, I think we're not as attuned to identifying those issues. But I think if people think about, you know, a picture in the of a garden or a garden that they actually visit, or a moment even in their own garden, that they said they think, wow, this really works. I nailed it, or that gardener nailed it. It is it ends being that the texture was right. And you know, I think there are two super easy ways to check yourself on texture.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Number one classic black and white photo. You know, take a photo of your garden, take it in black and white, or transform it into black and white, one of those fun things that we can do nowadays with our phones, and and that kind of takes away that color element and you can really see those, you know, parts of the garden and see what's working. And then you're like, whoa, no, wonder this isn't working. All of these plants look the exact same exactly. And I think that we tend to as gardeners, gravitate towards a texture that we like, and we tend to repeat that. At least I do. Maybe you don't. I feel like I tend to be kind of attracted to like one type of plant, and so I very often don't get that contrast.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a great point, Stacy. As a matter of fact, I visited a garden I was so impressed that I replicated it in my garden. Essentially what they had done throughout the garden is dropped in emerald isle allocations. Wow, anyone who's looked at the backside of an emerald Isle allocacia, the texture in that plant, the size of the foliage, it made all the difference in the world in the landscape. And I use that in my landscape too. So it's the size of the foliage. I love that black and white photo idea that's perfect the size of the foliage, but also the texture of that foliage. And you know, this is something that I'm sure you can relate to, Stacy when you take a look at people who write copy or create tags or marketing or that type of thing. You read the descriptive copy velvety, satiny, ruffled, rough, fuzzy, lacy, delicate, succulent, leathery, strappy, I mean all words I think you'd find in a romance now.
Speaker 2: Right for sure. Yeah, because you want to kind of get that emotional connection. And I think you know, especially nowadays in being such an online world, we want people to go to their garden center and look at these plants and feel them and see them and smell them and everything for themselves. So I think it's really important to kind of, you know, get that out there and make people go, yeah, I want to check that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. So what exactly is plant texture? The word texture comes from a Latin word which means to weave, So essentially, we're weaving a giant tapestry within our garden. And as I had mentioned Stacy, fine, medium, and course is one way to look at it. If, for example, you have way too many fine foliaged plants, it's going to look so busy and so muddled. The eye has no place to rest. If you're only using medium size plants or medium sized textures, it's fine to you them, but the gardens just gonna be lackluster. It's not gonna have that pop that you're looking for. And then of course you can't. You can overdo it on coarse plants. And believe me, I know because here's a guy who loves bananas and cannas and allocacias. And as a matter of fact, again, when I was working in the garden center industry as a foliage plant buyer, many of the people I were working with loved those fine textured plants like a maidenhair fern just loved them, and I was always gravitating towards the ad Nitia palms, the phoenix Robelini palms, you know, big and bold and bananas, so you can overdo a good thing.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I was thinking about you, Eric and texture, and I was like, wow, you know, Rick is a fine texture guy. He loves grasses. Yes, the grasses are kind of like the ultimate fine texture plant for the garden. He loves grasses. He loves conifers, another typically fine textured plant. But then I was like, whoa Stacey, Wait a minute. Rick loves crotons, Rick loves allocasia, Rick loves cannas. I don't know what Rick is. Rick is a texture mystery.
Speaker 1: He's a complicated guy. Yeah, well think about it. In our landscapes, I would say one of the drama queens as it relates to texture would be hostas, especially big hostas. And I love hostas in fall, just at the stage where they're just about to melt into the ground because of frost. They look like giant pumpkins to me. Or Virginia thick, leathery leaves with fall winter color. But again you go back to description. Yes, bananas, I have a blood banana in my landscape, which I so love, and the description on it is the foliage are paddles with markings. I like that description.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bananas are also a great option. I think, you know, we gravitate towards those plants naturally, so yeah, it's easy to just keep stacking them in. But again you have to kind of take that step back and whatever works for someone aesthetically, whatever you like works. Like we're not saying these are hard and fast rules, but there are these times, and it happens to me all the time, especially in my native plant garden. I feel like the plants that are in there just keep reiterating the same thing. And even though I have different heights in different bloom times and different colors, it's still just not like that you know, big wow moment that you see from you know, really talented designers like you know, we've talked a lot about Pete Doodolphe, you know, really the master of kind of blending in those fine textured moments to get a really varied landscape.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, so fun stuff to think about. I mean, think about a shade garden, a ligular aya, a big green tractor, that foliage with Japanese painted ferns or a sun king aurelia next to a hack and a clo or maybe dicentra a fern leaf bleeding heart next to a hosta. I love shadowland, echo the sun or water slide. There's so many different choices to get that contrast. You know, my banana tree with the wicked witch colius a eucimus pineapple lily, which gives you an exclamation point in the landscape. So many opportunities, and we'll talk about that today on the show. Let me give you a limb a rick here about contrast, because I think contrast is so important. It's not my intent to lecture or alter your landscape's architecture, just recommend a visual touch. It doesn't take much to add some layers of texture. You see, contrast is fundamental. Your focus becomes compartmental. It gives plants great poise, and you can sort out the noise for something that's quite ornamental. So bonjou or manure. Let me give you the tour. Spare me conjectures because I like big, bold textures. I'm trendy and olt couture.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you really uh brought out the vocabulary for this one, right.
Speaker 1: I'm hot today, I like textures. Let's see how Stacey ties it in and plants on trial. That's next here on the Gardening Simplified.
Speaker 2: Show, beautify your home and community with proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs with over three hundred and twenty five unique varieties to choose from. There's a flowering shrubber evergreen for every taste and every space. Just look for the distinctive white container your local garden center or learn more at proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Greetings gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where we are talking all about texture. And in the first segment, I said, there's two easy ways to check texture. I gave you the first one. I didn't give you the second one, so I thought I should do that now because don't want to leave e anybody hang in. They're like, when was the second one? Oh my gosh, I'm dying over here. So no, the first one. Yeah, Like I said, just take a black and white photo or transform a photo in black and white. This is a fun thing to do in winter when you're looking at your role of photos. I mean, I'm assuming everybody has a roll of garden photos, right, yes, or it's not just us okay, oh yea cool, and it.
Speaker 1: Was such a great idea. That's why number two just ye.
Speaker 2: So that's an easy way to look at the other way. And don't get intimidated when I say this is to do a little bit of drawing. Now, you don't need to have drawing skills. We're not asking you to like make an actual rendition of your garden, but a simple sketch kind of outlining those shapes and how the masses of your plants work together can also reveal quite a lot. And that's a fun thing you can do on a nice summer afternoon as you're sitting there looking at your garden. Because another really important part of texture is direction. You know, you can have plants of varying textures together, but if all of the foliage and flowers and everything are kind of going in the same direction, it can also fall flat. Because a big part sure of successful texture is having those textures kind of going out at different angles, different habits, you know, perfect example, classic texture plant. I feel like every time a garden magazine or a book or whatever is like, you know, here's a great combination you know what plant. It almost always contains akanakloa Japanese forest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, yes, very true.
Speaker 2: And why because that has a very strong direct It's very very soft, fine textured, very strong directional kind of you know, aesthetic in the landscape.
Speaker 1: That's such a super important point. If you think about a container and dichondra flowing down from the container and angel wings in there, you're going two different directions. Yeah, so yeah, I like that idea. So that's good concept.
Speaker 2: Those are just two different ways. You can kind of start to think about it in your own garden and add something, then despice it up and mix it up, and you know, you don't have to do these things, but it is sort of that is the professional secret, right when you look at a professional landscape or a very very talented experienced gardener, that is what they're doing. And you know, it's very easy to look at someone's garden and think, hey, they are just so talented as designers. They got this right in the first place. Oh no, they didn't. It took them years of refining and taking things out and moving things around. And I would also say, if you're dealing with a landscape that you know maybe doesn't have the option to move things around as much, or plants are more mature. You can also break it up with you know, ornaments, different like sculptures and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Hard scaping super important in contrast and texture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. The other thing about texture is space. So texture is not just about what's there in terms of the foliage or flowers or whatever. It's also about this base in between them. And I think like a lot of our plants, a lot of our shrubs, and certainly a lot of Proven Winner's Perennials and annuals, they've really been developed to be very dense and very cushion like, and that can make them feel very coarsely textured or bold in the landscape, whereas other counterparts might have a little bit more space in them because we're kind of really trying to breed those things down. And I find that a lot with the Proven Winter's Perennials. It's a very nice feature to have, but it does kind of change the way that you use them. So for today's plants on Trial, where we tell you about one or in some cases, and today's case and many of the Proven Winner's color Choice shrubs, we're talking about which of our shrubs you can use for different textures.
Speaker 1: So if I had to guess, because in my mind, I have one shrub that is the king of textures. Okay, well I hear it, Yeah I do oheh, yes, yes, I think that is the king.
Speaker 2: It is definitely. It's sort of one that is always sighted. And I think that that really leads into kind of the defining feature of coarse plants, which is large foliage, large elements, and you know, like you're saying, with all of your tropicals, those tend to have very bold foliage. But yeah, that is a classic example because oak leaf Hydrangea doesn't just kind of symbolize the fine, medium course textures in the landscape. It is itself a very textural plant. The foliage is really textural. The stems have that, you know, wonderful brown fuzz on them. You know, you were talking about people wanting to touch plants whenever you go to a botanical garden and they have signs that are like, don't touch the plants, and you're like, yeah, okay, I get it. But also I'm like, don't worry. I'm a train horticulture, so I got this. Not that I break the rules, but it's really quite difficult when you're used to touching plants to like all of a sudden, not touch them in any case. So it's about as much as what is not there the space in between the leaves, as well as what is there. So for fine texture in the proven Winter's Colored Choice line, I have a great plant that we have not mentioned yet. Japanese maples. Yeah, absolutely perfect. Adriana is a big fan of Japanese maples. They are really one of the best choices for that fine texture. I think when we talk about these concepts of you know, fine course in medium textures, Japanese gardens are also such a great example of using and mixing these different textures in ways that really have a lot of impact. It's not like our standard kind of perennial or flower garden where you have a whole lot of plants all grouped together, but things kind of grouped into vignettes and very very well placed. So Japanese maples are an awesome choice for fine texture. And we don't tend to think of trees as texture plants.
Speaker 1: Right, but they are. They are dissectedol.
Speaker 2: Lemony lace and black lace elder yep. I mean, can't beat them. One of my absolutely favorites that's on that extreme because we're going to get to supercorus plants right now, we're doing the very fine plants, so we'll get there. Fine line buckthorn ramness, and this is one of our most popular plants. People love it because there's really nothing like it, and the foliage is really just kind of narrow lines that's really really distinctive in the landscape. Another plant I love, love love for fine texture celtic pride microbiota.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's on my list, love it. And that's a touchable plant.
Speaker 2: It is, and it's not prickly, so it's a conifer. Most conifers, like we said, tend to be on the finer textured side, some more than others. But this one just has this like beautiful lacy look and we have a lovely planting of it in our trial gardens here in West Michigan, and whenever we give tours and someone sees it, they're like, what is that? And this is a plant that I think most people walk by in the garden center, but once they see it in sight, they are like, I want that. So we also have some regularly fine texture chesky gold dwarf birch, very very tiny little yellow leaves, really interesting texture plants. It's a dwarf birch, so like just imagine like a golden cushion of tiny leaves, not a tree form, and it really lends itself to sharing. So you can kind of have this very fine texture leaf with a very dense habit if that is what you are going for. I was thinking about butterfly bush, okay, and I thought that this is an interesting situation where for the most part they're fine, kind of bordering on medium because they you know, those spikes come up, they got a lot of space in them. The leaves are on the smaller side. And then I realized that like certain varieties of butterfly bush like Pugster, actually definitely go more into the course because they're bread. For those larger flowers you have less space, they tend to end up having that blockier kind of impact in the landscape. So it really depends on the specific for we can't always just generalize on the type of plant. Kellikarpa is another plant that I think is a really great choice for some fine texture also known as beauty berry incredible purple berries. And I say purple berries are just like this amazing orchid purple color. We have one with dark purple leaves as well as a green one, and the berries are so small and on these little stems, and they just give a really really cool texture.
Speaker 1: And a great example of how texture is so wonderful in the fall.
Speaker 2: Yes, fall is definitely texture time. And you know that also comes back to what we were saying about color in color. In fall, colors are shifting and changing, so you're able to really get that impact that maybe you didn't see when everything was just green. Now, I will say, as I was looking through our selection of plants, the majority of them are medium texture. And that seems like kind of a cop out, but the majority of them are medium texture. Yeah, I would agree, But let's get to the bold textures, the coarse textures, because that's what we really love. One of my favorites, and what I might think is king in our line is Kelly canthus also known as sweet shrub. I have both aphrodite and simply sensational, and both of them have a really wonderful bold look in the landscape. Aphrodite, the foliage is like this big, it's huge, it's lush, the flowers are bold, just a great great plant. Big leaf hydrangees also a coarse texture plant. And I think with hydranges in general, you can kind of get into some fine texture if you are dealing with lace cap hydranges, because again that's about the space that you're getting in there. So in that case, even though the plant itself might be a coarse or bold texture, the flowers kind of give it a finer texture. So you can have this kind of shifting in and out of different textures based on the time of year, the blue time and all of that. Al Ninho Chitalpa old texture. Great choice. Hollywood hibiscus another one, and I was thinking, you know, I think most tropical plants, of which Hollywood hibiscuits is a tropical hibiscus, tend to be on the boulder side. I would say some palms tend to the finer texture because it can be very you know, fine leaves. But overall, if you like bold foliage, the tropics is for you. I feel like fine foliage the prairie might be for you. There you go, or you can combine them all into one great garden. We are going to take a little break. When we come back. We are opening up the mailbag, so please stay tuned. At Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs, we know that a better landscape starts with a better shrub. Our team of experts tests and evaluates all of our flowering shrubs and evergreens for eight to ten years to ensure they outperform what's already on the market. For easycare, reliable, beautiful shrubs to accentuate your home and express your personal style, look for Proven Winners Shrubs in the distinctive white container at your local garden center or learn more at Proven Winners, Color Choice dot com. Greeting's gardening friends and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where it is our time to help you with your garden questions, quandaries and conundrums and of course celebrations compliments. You know not everybody has gardening pals to talk about gardening with, and we can be that pal for you, So you can leave a comment on YouTube or check us out on Facebook or Instagram. Always lots of opportunities to share your successes. You can also reach us at Gardeningsimplified on air dot com, Proven Winners, Color Choice dot com, Proven Winners dot Com. You want to reach us. We are everywhere you want to be, so don't hesitate to reach out. And I wanted to kick things off with a really, really nice note from listener Suzanne. This is regarding last week's show. She says, Adriana, the most recent episode of Gardening Simplified show was just one example of the value your photos bring to the viewers. Your photos add so much color to the convent sation and content because of the photos and the colors they show. I very often click on the proven winner's website while watching on YouTube to take a closer look at the plants picture to see if they would work in my garden. Thank you, Adriana for the inspiration that can be found in your beautiful photography. You're here, so you're here. I just wanted to say thank you so much for that. Susanne. You know you mentioned Adriana. She's back there behind the camera and the soundboard every episode. But we love hearing her get her roses and she deserves them because she spends a lot of time on the show. What a talent and she makes it look really easy. And you know, of course at this time, I were like, what show two five? So she's kind of got it down to a science. But on the other hand, it doesn't just make itself. She spends many, many hours, and so it always means a lot to hear from people who appreciate that work. So thank you, Susan.
Speaker 1: Not just the video and the beautiful pictures, it's the editing. She can even make somebody like me look good. Thank you, Aden.
Speaker 2: Right, like, people don't even know the mistakes that we're making that she has to cut out. They just assume that we get in here and you know, like an a one take wonder and we dust our hands and leave it to her. But we make mistakes. In fact, I just made one at the beginning of the segment. So yeah, she does a lot for.
Speaker 1: Us, so take care of it.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Adriana is very flattered, and I wanted to make sure our listeners heard that little bit of appreciation for her efforts, So thank you. Brenda writes, I have a bobo Hydrangea that only some of the leaves and flowers have opened completely. Any suggestions, now, of course, it's hydrange of season here in most of the country. Of course, some of you, if you've had a really really hot summer, the hydrangees are probably pretty done, brown crispy, just trying to struggle through. For us here, it's pretty much peaks time. The panical hydrangels are about to turn. Yeah, just really incredible. And because it is hydrange of season. I hear from a lot of gardeners who have a lot of problems. Very often it's why isn't my hydrange of blooming? I have to say, I'm seeing less of that. I don't know if it's because we're finally like have enough articles about hydranges out there that people are finding the information without asking us, or you know, because plants like Let's stand Skyview are hopefully stopping this issue because that was our goal. But one issue I hear from every year from people is they have usually a panicle hydrangea and it looks like a mutant. The foliage is all contorted and twisted, and sometimes it's thick and it's small, and especially on some panicle hydrangeas, the flowers just turn into these weird leafy appendages. If you're watching YouTube, you will see photos of this. You don't have to take my maybe less than poetic description at face value. And maybe you're seeing this yourself. But I hear from gardeners every year who see this in their gardens and it is broad mite damage.
Speaker 1: Wow, I thought it was bad hair date.
Speaker 2: It kind of looks that way, so broad So everybody knows spider mites, right, people, Ye, spider bites are bad. Spider maights have a very distinctive look. Mites are not insects. There are more related to spiders. Broad Mites are not spider mites. They're equally as bad for plants, but they are bad in a different way. They do different things. And so the broad mites will feed on the plant tissue as it is developing, and when if they feed on the flower buds as they are developing, they're feeding. I don't know whether it's like an enzyme or something like that that comes out of them, or if it's just an actual function of the mites which have this little tiny piercing mouthpart that goes into the plant tissue and sucks out the juice. And if that physical disruption of the tissue causes this, but it causes all sorts of weird looking mutations, especially on panicle hydrangels, and they don't bloom in a normal way. Okay, Now, broad mites are tiny. They really can hardly be seen without a microscope. You know, you would need maybe a really good magnifying glass.
Speaker 1: If they're tiny, then why do they call them broad mites?
Speaker 2: Well, because they're broad for a mite.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, just wondering.
Speaker 2: And they're so tiny that they just float in on the wind. You know, no spidermights. We all know spidermights will thrive in stressful conditions plants. That's conditions that stress out of the plants, dryness, low air circulation, water, stress can encourage mites. They're opportunistic and stuff. They see a plant suffering, they're like, oh heck, yeah, here's my chance. They get in there. They feed, they cause damage on the plane. The broad mightes are so tiny they just float in on the wind. So that makes it a little bit more tricky because you can't do anything really against them because yeah, they're just floating around and so basically, unfortunately, there's really nothing that you can do. Even if you could see the mites. They get so deep into the bud to feed that you can't really reach them. Like it's very difficult to try, even if you were willing to use some sort of pesticide, really difficult to get in there to get the contact and kill them. So the good news is that these broad mites are not something that are going to necessarily stay on the plant year to year. If you have broad mites in this and it's not just hydrangeas, this is going to happen on a number of different plants. I've actually had it on pepper plants in my garden and just through fertilizing and trying to really you know, get vigorous growth on them, they've been able to outgrow the mite damage. But on the other hand, with the hydrangea, you know, those flora buds set and then it's kind of over. So if you have broad mites, it will should be fine next year, but you will want to make sure that you clean up all of that foliage really really well. Once it drops, you throw that away because of course that's where all the little baby mites are going to stay. Well they're not babies anymore, but that's where they're going to stay over winter to reinfect the plant next year. Throw that away, don't put it in a compost pile. And then you will want to make sure you prune these plants in spring because the broad mites are going to tend to if they overwinter concrete in those uppermost buds. So by pruning your panicle hydrangea in spring and taking off that top growth and discarding it, you can also get rid of a lot of them. So I know that's disappointing. This is a similar type of advice I would recommend for anything that you have that's getting this kind of funky growth.
Speaker 1: So interest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy stuff out there.
Speaker 1: That is crazy.
Speaker 2: I tell you, the more you know about plants, the weirder things get.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Angie writes that they redid their vegetable garden and the beds are open to native soil. They're about nine feet long three feet wide. They were filled with a garden mix from a local garden center that was forty percent pete moss compost, twenty percent top soil, and ten percent sand. So she's growing in it and this year, she says, everything is stunted and not doing well and she's wondering why and what she should do.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, first of all, good candidate to get a soil test. Yeah, I'd suggest that they're inexpensive and it probably would help you out. But I have seen this before. I've seen it with one of the easiest things to grow in a vegetable garden. Beans. Now, in some cases it was due to the weather. If it was too cold in early spring and they were planted, they almost become stunted and they don't seem to shake it. I don't know why, but that's that's the case. But I think you know more importantly as far as my landscape is concerned, in my parents soil, again, we've talked about this before, but every fall I'm working in all kinds of leaves, and wow, did it make a difference. The plants were more robust. I think a lot of it comes down to the plant's ability to have a persistent water supply without too much good drainage, but persistent water supply.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, good drainage is key. I think a lot of people don't realize that peat moss is basically nutritionally inert.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 2: It does not really contribute any nutrition. It's fluff. It's a growing you know, strata or media for the roots to go into, but it does not add any nutrition to the plants. So I would guess that you know with the time that you've done this, the nutrients in the compost and remember compost is continuing to decompose, so it's getting used up by the plants, and so that thirty percent compost that your soil mix was is probably five percent composts. Now it's used, it's continued to decompose, and the plants have used the nutrients. Tap soil nutrient rich when you first get it, but the plants are going to use that. So I think that, yeah, you're going to need to do some soil amending. I think, you know, composted leaves is a great option for my container soil. I just add composted manure and mix it all together and put it back into my containers to kind of recharge that soil and keep that you know, peat moss as like a again a matrix for the roots to grow in. You know, I think this year, if things are doing poorly, you can make things up by fertilizing, you know, try to push your tomatoes, push your peppers, any of that stuff that has yet to fruit. You can fertilize and kind of make up for that lack of nutrients. But the simple fact here is that the nutrients that were in all of that great soil that you added, they're used up, so you got to put them back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, vegetables are hard workers and they're working morning, noon and night, and the days are long. They need to be fed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that nutrition that you put into them, they give back to you. But you do need to definitely juice them up one way or the other. But of course, the responsible, long term sustainable thing to do is to just keep feeding your soil, whether that is through composts, composted leaves, all of the above, keeping things mulched. There's lots of different ways to do this and you can always contact your local cooperative extension for their recommendations on soil fertility in your area. We're going to take a little break. When we come back, we're continuing our conversation on texture, so please stay tuned. Thanks for listening to the Gardening Simplified Podcast, brought to you by Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. Our award winning flowering shrubs and evergreens are trialed and tested by experts with your success in mind. Learn more at Proven Winners color Choice dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show us. Today we talk about texture and what a great week to do it. It's summerrific week with the perennial hibiscus, talk about foliage and flowers and great texture.
Speaker 2: Oh what a plant, you know. I don't get me started on these plants. Last night, my husband was out in the garden and it was hot, you know, it was really sunny and hot. And he came and he got his hat. I said, what are you cold sitting in the shade? He said, no, I want to sit in the sun and look at hibiscus because they were looking so good. You know, I think my favorite one this year is Summerific evening Rows. Okay, now, you know, when we had our color talk, I said, I'm not a pink person, but then you look at my garden and you're like, okay, whatever, lady, you are definitely a pink person. And Summerfic evening Rows has these bright, bright, bright futia pink flowers and that kind of dark, purply red foliage and it is just an absolutely stunning combination. I love the reds. I have all three of the reds, and they're beautiful, but that evening rose is really like nothing else that you can buy. But yeah, they're all in their full glory right now. How about yours?
Speaker 1: Love the love the flowers, and as a matter of fact, I mentioned this morning, boy Stacy's way ahead of mine, ahead of me because I only have two flowers. Oh my yes, at this point the buds are ready to pop, but I don't know I'm behind.
Speaker 2: That's strange. Yeah, I've never seen mine be so early, but now this is our second year. Last year was their first year after I moved everything and put them in a new bed. So I don't know what it is, but I mean, I've been growing them for years and I've never had them bloom as early as they have this year. So and I don't feel like it's been particularly unusually hot or yeah, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the deal is, but I love them. And it's a great example of texture in the landscape. Always talked about my cannons and bananas, but I've experimented with rhubarb and castor beans, all of these types of plants that give you fabulous texture within the landscape. And again, texture can be touch too, and I was reminded of that this morning. I went outside and watered my lantana's. I have luscious lantana in containers. They're spectacular and the touch of the foliage is almost like sand paper, and the deer leave them alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, do you like the smell of lantana?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do like it?
Speaker 2: Okay, I gather you don't. I love the plant. I'll still grow it, but when I touch it, I'm like.
Speaker 1: You, but I love that's what the deer says.
Speaker 2: I love that you have the epic combo of canna banana on lantana.
Speaker 1: Right there, you go. I like that. Oh that make a great song. Yeah, so yeah, that's a great way to go. Texture in the fall. I mentioned that. So my big four, my top four in the fall would be Viburnum, great foliage, texture, father giamm, oak leaf, Hydrangea, and witch hazel. Those four, to me are epic texture and color plants in fall and I look forward to them every year. I also believe in fall that high textural plants create a moodiness in the garden. And one plant that I would point out are hucreras. Hucreas grown for their foliage. Yeah, some people for the flowers, I understand, but the foliage. You take, for example, a dark purple hucura and the ruffled foliage on it. The texture and color combined almost create this moodiness within the garden that I think is an important part of texture too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know hugras. If you are like me and you have given up on growing hugres because your soil is just not right, you don't have enough shade, you don't give them enough water, they still make awesome container plants just as a foliage accent. And that's a wonderful way to be able to enjoy them, or you know, to switch over your containers for fall, there's still gonna be plenty of those moody hugras in the garden center. And I think that makes your fall planting a lot more interesting than just you know, plopping a mom or cabbage in a container. Mix it up.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a good point. And when you you get laid into fall, most of the blooms are gone, it's over. But a great garden can use simply foliage to create that textural feel. Again, combining fine, medium and coarse you create a beautiful landscape without having to use those what do you call them tough at mums or yeah.
Speaker 2: Tough it's right, tough, it's but and tough.
Speaker 1: It's I'm still trying to absorb the fact that you don't like lantana via lantana or romos.
Speaker 2: Oh it smells. Yeah, I do not like that at all. But I love lantana and I love Speaking of texture, I love how it's little rectangular buds fold up like a little piece of chicklets gum. Oh yeah, and then they burst open. Because there's not very many buds that are kind of rectangular like that. That's cool, So I love them. I actually don't have any this year because the Garden Center Ways shop didn't have a great selection of them, But I usually have them because they're a great hummingbird and butterfly and that's why I plant my annuals.
Speaker 1: So yeah, speaking of annuals, you want to add some great texture to your landscape for next year, Planning sweet potato vine will change the textural element within your landscape in short order, inexpensively, quickly, and beautifully. So I would recommend also that you take a look at sweet potato.
Speaker 2: Vine uns don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true along the annual side of it. Also, again talking about texture, I believe dancing in the landscape is super important, and I think plants that dance and have the ability to do that, maybe with fine foliage like ornamental grasses, But I'm going to go beyond that and say fall Japanese anemones dancing in the breeze. But when we look at annuals, Verbina benariensis is fabulous for that and an element that I've added throughout my landscape and pockets. I mentioned the emerald isle. Allocacia, Wow, the texture, but Gomfrina truffle of pink and in pops here and there in the garden. By the time you get into August and into fall, the stems are long, the flower heads are beautiful. When you get a breeze, they dance around in the landscape. I think it's all part of the texture alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, all of those plants that you just listed are great examples of how texture is also about what's not there as well as what is there, because you need that space in a plant, and if a plant doesn't have a lot of space in it, a lot of space in between the branches, in between the leaves, it ends up being a coarse texture kind of regardless of the size or scale of the foliage or flowers. But things like the allocacia lots of beautiful space verbing of an ariients. It is the ultimate space plant. So it's really important to have those as part of your garden to get that layered effect and be able to see through those plants so that not everything is just you know, a big clump in the landscape.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I want a great way to add some texture at low cost and easy. Plant some cosmos in your landscape. I think that's a great way to add some texture. I'm gonna mention something probably controversial here, but Yukas. Some people do not like Yukas. It's just Yukka.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan. I have them, but I'm not the biggest fan I have.
Speaker 1: Really, I used to be in that camp. Now I've really come around. And then, of course last year I planted the new Dragon Slayer and I am really appreciating the structural textural element that that's adding to the landscape.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the thing is, Yucca is a great texture plant, and that is why I have some in my garden. I just wish Yuka was a little easier to manage.
Speaker 1: Easier to mand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just it gets too big too fast, and then you know, if you have it in a bed as I do, and it's not just kind of out on its own in a big planting. Then you got to do something about it, because you know, once the yuck of flowers, the mother plant dies, the one that just flowered, and then it's got all these offsets, and you're like, wait, I only wanted one nice beautiful yechet, like I want it to behave like in agave for our warm climate listeners. You know, you plant in a gave, it just sits there and is a nice, handsome, sculptural little agave. I want a Yukka that behaves like that instead of this offsetting business going all over the garden. And so you know what I do. I'm sharing my Yucca management secret with everybody here. Yes, So I take a nice sharp shovel and I jam it in the ground and I take out the mother plant. And you don't have to take out the whole thing. You just want to kind of get as far into the root as you can and then you rip it out of the ground. And then either you take the whole plant, which does work because next year this thing is going to be back like you never did anything, or you leave the offsets and I do.
Speaker 1: The same thing, just not as dramatically as you.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do it dramatically because I love it, because I don't love them. I'm like, you know, I don't have this, like, oh, I need to take care of you. I'm like, you're out, you have overstage. You're welcome. We are resetting you back to zero.
Speaker 1: Another great example of how texture adds drama to the landscape. How about Kinsley's ghost honeysuckle wow, thread leaf coreopsis any elephant ears or kalladiums iris are another good example of something that adds real texture to the landscape, and in a shady area still be also another great choice. So there are so many great choices. I think it's just the key making sure that you identify fine medium course and then getting them to play together, just like a musical composition.
Speaker 2: That's right. You have to diversify your texture, just like universify your colors.
Speaker 1: This was fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well we hit the topic on many different levels texturally, and I'd like to talk about it again sometimes because I think we're just scratching the surface.
Speaker 2: We really are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Thanks Stacy, thank you Rick, Thanks Adriana, and thank you to you for watching us on YouTube. Tell your friends and neighbors for downloading the podcast and listening to the radio version of the Gardening Simplified Show. Have yourself a great week.