Speaker 1: It's opening day, this time in Tokyo, Japan. Last year was in Seoul, Korea. And we're joined right now by a man that has meant so much to the city, the World Series MVP, and just a guy that has led this Dodger team in so many ways, and that's the great Freddie Freeman. Freddy, thank you for the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for having me, David, that's all I got so far.
Speaker 1: Same here, same here. But I mean you've been all over the world literally with the Dodgers, and here we are in Tokyo, Japan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty special. I mean back to back years starting overseas in Asia. It's pretty crazy. Really. It's we were doing practice the other day and show he came out and the fans were just going all crazy for him. We're hitting home runs and they're clapping for us. After everything. It makes you want to hit more in back practice. But it's it's cool. I'm glad we're over here, you know, kind of growing the game and letting the fans of Japan CEUs play.
Speaker 1: What do you believe the vibe is from not only Shohy but Yamamoto Sasaki.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty special. You can feel the buzz. I mean they got showed out and say over there too. So five really really great Japanese players being able to come over here and complete compete and come back home for them and play in front of the fans that they grew up playing in front of, and for us to come over and experience it with them. I mean, it's special. These are once in a lifetime moments that you get that experience and you try and take it all in but hopefully get the win tonight and tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Freddy, you've had a few days to practice on this playing surface, does it remind you of Tropic Canna Field's.
Speaker 2: Not like that. It's actually a little different because not used to like only a little small parts of it being dirt, you know, and there's a lot of pebbles popping up, so it's a little different. The lights are lower, so there's a lot of things that you just kind of get used to. And that's what you've got to get here and practice and do all that and try and figure it all out and do the best you can out there.
Speaker 1: It seems dark in this Tokyo Dome. Is that a good thing to pick up the baseball?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess we're gonna find out. We'll see. I mean throughout the practices. It's the lights were a little bit lower, so maybe a little pop ups. You can lose them really easy, but then you can pick them back up. So you just got to really stay focused on every single pitch. Nothing like we normally do, but just a little bit extra more because it's just a different planning environment that we're used to.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm thinking about your right ankle when I think of this type of artificial turf surface.
Speaker 2: How has it felt. It's okay so far. The metal spikes on this turf is a little different. We're doing the best we can to combat it. A lot of treatment, a lot of treatment after the game, so we're gonna hopefully get through these two games and be okay.
Speaker 1: Freddy, the Freddie Freeman doctor plan really paid off in Arizona. You laid out how you saw this happening and it came to fruition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it did. I'm glad because there's you never know if an ankle or lower body injury, if there's gonna be a little sit back or anything like that. But thankfully we got through it. Things. I was able to get enough of bats where I felt pretty comfortable up there, So hopefully that leads to some good things here in these two games against the Cubs.
Speaker 1: Freddie Freeman is our guest just in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Cubs here in the Tokyo series, and Freddie, we talked to you at Dodger Fest. It's hard not to continually be reminded about what the team did in October last year and what you did in October last year. How much have you had time to reflect? And is tonight the night that you officially turned the page?
Speaker 2: I mean I've still reflected. I mean all the spring training, all the fans, it's every single day they were out there letting us know how appreciative they were of what we did for last year and getting a championship. I don't know if you can officially turn the page until we get back home and do that for I mean, we got to experience it with the Dodger fans back at home and get our rings and put the banner up. We could still focus on today and the Cubs and still be appreciative of what we accomplished, and I know our fans are excited for us. To get home and play against the Tigers and get the in the banners. So we can still focus on today, but look forward to getting those that opening weekend at home.
Speaker 1: Hey, I got breaking news for you. You signed a fans calf I believe at Dodger Fest.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did.
Speaker 1: The fan has been dming me on Instagram the tattoo that complimented the signature. So I got to show that to you.
Speaker 2: If you have not already seen it, I have not seen it. I will show it to you after this. I can't wait to see it. That is crazy, the first time ever. I think this is the first time it's been I've seen about four tattoos now of me on people. It's pretty cool, you know, just to put me on them forever. Hopefully hopefully they when they're a little bit older they still like me.
Speaker 1: That will live forever, Freddy, No doubt, I hope. So all right, Well, thanks a lot for the time, Freddy. Great to spend time with you here in the tunnel of the Tokyo Domes.
Speaker 2: This is awesome, Thanks David, I appreciate it.