Speaker 1: Welcome friends. It's podcast podcasting time. John Jack again Ryan. They're talking about the movie's Mommy now back has made the only thing more dangerous than what he knows is what he's prepared to do two hundred and fifty million dollars by a nine hundred U top time. If you have not good God. But there's one thing, small boys, we're about to retire. He didn't count on. I know his mind works. You gotta let me go after him. Care for a cooke or something, John Travolta, you lose Christian Slater. We're right in here. Mind ain't a cool broken arrow a John wu film Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zaki Hassan, and here is the VIC Deacons to my Riley Hale, Brian Hall. Hey, ho's going, Zachie. I'm sitting here waiting for you to betray me as I have every week for the last fourteen years in anticipation. It's coming. It's coming. I'm not gonna will you though. Once I hear that ominous Hans zimmer Sting, that's what I know. My numbers up. I'm going to eject through the roof of my house.
Speaker 2: Dude, suddenly, just in the middle of one episode, You're gonna hear doom and I'd be like what, And I'll be like cool and.
Speaker 1: Take a drag off a cigarette. I have to say. So, we are watching nineteen ninety six is Broken Arrow, which celebrates its thirtieth anniversary as we are recording this roughly the same week, and I was thinking, I was like, the most memorable claim to fame this movie has may well be the fact that ain't it cool news? God its name from this movie? Yeah, yeah, from that line that uh uh oh, my gosh, John Travolta, Josh volt Man, when you when you when your star falls, it really falls. You know, it's fun. No, you know, it's weird.
Speaker 2: I had John Ritter in my head and I was like, it's not ridder Brant, It's not ridder don't say Ritter. And then then I short circuit in so yes, but you know what, I remember that line from the marketing.
Speaker 1: From the trailers that was all over the place. That was one of those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back in the day, I don't know if it happened more frequently. Maybe I was watching more TV, and you know, they'd have like one line that they would always repeat in all the ads for certain movies. So those lines just got stuck in my head.
Speaker 1: Ain't it cool? Well, I remember that from the mid nineties, and you and Harry Knowles both yeah, yeah, uh, that's that's what makes you and Harry Knowles so similar. Let's go down to the list of similarity. Hey, so, anyway we're gonna watch. This will be fun. This is gonna be fun. Yeah, I love going. You know, this has become kind of a semi recurring thing where we just dip into nineties action movies. I love it. I love it, and I have not seen this since the nineties. Same same, same here, So this is definitely fun to dip back into. But let's do it. Hey, if you want to watch along with us, you're certainly welcome to do that. There is only the one cut, the theatrical cut, directed by John Woo. If you don't want to watch along, that's okay. We'll try to keep the conversation interesting enough. We'll try to make you say, ain't it cool? I hope, so, I hope. So, So I'm ready. What about you, Brian? I'm ready? All right, here, we got let's do this. So we'll do the usual thing on three one two three play and Here we Go one two three play Fox joy Sentry Fox. This is This is written by Graham Yost. Yes, it is a produced by Mark Gordon. So kind of a Speed reunion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is the year after Speed, right, so this is two years oh two years. Sorry, but this was Graham Yos Grammyos. This is kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: I want to say.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what podcast it was, but I heard him speaking on one and he was saying that he was working at a sitcom. I believe it was Herman's Head Full House, Oh, full House, but he did work on Herman's Head, right, he may have he yeah, okay, but no, you're right full house and he was very unhappy. Yeah, And so he decided he was just going to, you know, risk it all, take a leap, write something, and just see if he could he could do the thing he really wanted to do. And then he makes Speed.
Speaker 1: Right, and then he writes one of the greatest action movies ever made yep, yep. And so then he's super hotpy Brian, It's just that easy. Yeah, come on, why even you done?
Speaker 2: That sounds like something like your parents would say to you, why haven't you written a movie like Diehard? But yeah, so then this post speed Fox is probably like what else you got?
Speaker 1: Give us anything? And then we get a broken arrow, Broken arrow, which the title is now in the movie. They're like, it's a reference to if a nuclear missile is stolen, right, which my understanding is that's actually not true. It's it's a reference to a nuclear weapon where the head where it's no longer nuclear. Yes, that is a broken arrow. So the term for a stolen weapon would be empty quiver, which I thought should be the code name for a vasectomy. I was about to say that that's actually the script from my movie about a guy with low sperm count. Hey look at us, Yeah, starring Rob Schneider. I kind of see in my head, I see him on the poster like with his arms out like eh, you know.
Speaker 2: Exactly, a kind of doing a shrug, but with a oh no, like yeah, exactly, you got empty.
Speaker 1: Quivery operation operation empty quiver. That's when you go to get prosectomia.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, right, doesn't sound like that, you know, It's funny because I know these guys are supposed to be like longtime pals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right.
Speaker 2: And then it's like, I don't that sense at all. No, not in this opening boxing match, right, I was actually thinking about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so that turn is supposed to be kind of a turn, yes, and it's really not because Travolta such an asshole right from the start. There isn't any like he's not like this opening scene, it's supposed to be him kind of like mentoring Hail, but there's nothing playful about it.
Speaker 2: Not at all, or like mentor like at all. Like he seems like a jerk who is relishing exactly in whooping.
Speaker 1: This guy, I was saying, I was like, that's a choice, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I mean that's kind of the thing, right, Like I read in some of the there wasn't like a ton that I could dig up on this movie. Yeah, same, But I did read that Travolta it was his decision to go big, sure, And I'm like, he definitely goes.
Speaker 1: Big yeah in this right. By the way, Interesting that Dwight little there gets a producer credit because he was originally supposed to direct this movie. Oh maybe he helped develop it a little bit, That's what I was thinking, Yeah, because he directed a rapid fire the Brandon Lee movie Oh okay, and one of them, I think Mark for Death or something. But he left this to do Free Willy two rights the guaranteed payday of Free Willy two, which.
Speaker 2: Is funny because now it seems like, oh man, but I mean Free Willy one was a phenomenon.
Speaker 1: That's at the time you can sort of understand his thinking. But yeah, in hindsight, I don't know, maybe maybe not the best choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean did that one even go to the theaters? I mean that became one of those things where there was the one big movie that everybody.
Speaker 1: This is the way that he holds the cigarette in this movie.
Speaker 2: It like like, look, I remember it. It's memorable, but it also like just kind of odd. It irrationally irritates me. But that's that's well, sorry, I'm pivoting a little bit. But like so him saying he wanted to go big, Yeah, this led to sort of a string of performances I feel like for Travolta, where when this ended, without even thinking about it, I thought, man, you know what I'd like to rewatch is Swordfish.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is is I was like, because because this is like his first time playing a villain, and I was like, did the record get stuck or something? Right, because he was pretty much just in this lane for a while exactly.
Speaker 2: So he does this in Swordfish Pelham one two three, right, like he's playing these kind of big like kind of post Tarantino, you know, like their little hip you know.
Speaker 1: I mean even even the face off right where he's the Nick Cage character is played by him.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and kind of the pup has got a brand new bag, you know, kind of a thing he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I don't No, I don't know. I mean, tell me, what do you what do you do you feel? I think always like goofy. I think Travolta is very watchable, certainly.
Speaker 2: That's what I was wondering. Yeah, I mean, does it work just on because of that? It just makes it watchable? Would it be less interesting if he wasn't doing it?
Speaker 1: Okay? So my feeling is that the character is less interesting because he goes so big with it. M M I because in essence, when you think about it, I mean this this in terms of what he does in the movie. He's not that far removed from from Ed Harris in The Rock, Right, Yeah, it's the why that's substantially different, right, And I think I think what Ed Harris really excels at is just the the smoldering silence. Yeah oh yeah, yeah. And and I think Travolta is playing a little more campy, you know, And and that's fine. Bear in mind like this, this was this moment where John Travolta's name of the title is enough to make a movie a hit, which you know, how long did that last? About five six years? Maybe? Yeah? Right? So, I you know, they wanted him to play the Christian Slater character, and he's like, no, I want to be the villain. So I understand that because it gave him a chance to stretch a little totally. But I do wonder, you know, if if the movie might have worked better with him as Hale. Yeah. Maybe. And you go with it because it has written the deacon's character is a little older. You go to somebody a little older, you know, hm, who would you put in there? Then I'm well, you know, it's funny, it's reflexively I'm like Ed Harris, oh wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sure, But you know what though, Yeah, I mean, well, I guess obviously because we know it works.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, yeah, circa nineteen ninety six. I'm not sure, you know, yeah, I don't know. I don't have to think about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, it's funny because this is kind of that moment. It's interesting looking at each decade and what action movies are like, right, I mean, they get a.
Speaker 1: Little I don't know if you call it meta, but they become.
Speaker 2: Like the eighties was action figures come to life, you know, who could like Schwartzenegger and Stallone and you know, crazy over the top muscles. And then the nineties was you know, more normal looking sort of dudes in crazy situations. Yeah, you know, against all odds, but with like a lot of humor, you know. I mean it makes me think of con Air and the Rock and Face Off and you know, you have a little bit of a wink going on.
Speaker 1: Kind of even die Hard and Speed to some extent. I feel like Diehard in a way kind of kicked it off, didn't it.
Speaker 2: Like like there's always like a movie that like ends a decade, you know, like Star Wars in a way sort of ended the gritty seventies. Yeah, and maybe Diehard sort of ended that action figure eighties.
Speaker 1: By the way, So my thought here with the fake park ranger guy, I'm like, if he's just gonna kill him anyway, why is he even dressed like a park ranger.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because I hadn't seen this in thirty years. I thought the guy in the tent was going to be the bad guy.
Speaker 1: He's where he's not.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be interesting, like, oh, I'm not supposed to be here, and I was waiting for him to draw a gun interesting, And then I felt really bad.
Speaker 1: I know, bro just catches fack and then they shoot the old lady. That's terrible. I know, at least they don't show it like these guys are bad, Brian.
Speaker 2: I don't know, that's my sense, but this does remind me of the sort of eighties excess action of the guy, Like not only does he get like shot to death, but he like lands in the middle of the fire pit.
Speaker 1: Oh and by the way, here's Bob Gunton playing uh the second of his lovable father figure rolls after Shawshank redemption. Right, He's just like he's an unrepented asshole all the time. He's got resting asshole face he does, but like he's.
Speaker 2: One of those people where you don't even need to write a lot for him, Like he brings whatever.
Speaker 1: He is a type. He is the Bob Gunton type. Yep, yep. Some people just have that magic, and he definitely does. Although tell me, like the minute he's like, Deacons, what are you doing, I'm like, Oh, he's about to He's gonna He's gonna die horribly. What you want to tell him? Like, dude, just shut up? I know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So now we've got Travolta and Slater in the plane and I'm like, oh, they're buds because I thought they hated each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, that's the interesting thing. I I do kind of like that the opening boxing scene. We tie back to that at the end, so it sort of you know, it ties a bow around the whole thing, right right the Yeah, and but yeah, that was my thought is I think I think if we started out with kind of a playful spar session, yeah, and then we end with just like a fight to the dead, that that would heighten the stakes, you know. I agree, Like I.
Speaker 2: Wish it had felt a little warmer because then when Travolta turns in the plane and he like looks over sort of sinister, that would have felt even more devastating. And then yeah to your point at the end, then yes, then they have like a fistfight at the end again, but it's completely different. But it felt antagonistic from the start. Delroy Lindo and.
Speaker 1: It freshly minted Oscar nominee Delroy Lindo. Oh wait from which for sinners? Oh? I thought you meant in the nineties. No, no, as we record this right, yes, right right in the in the here and now. Yeah, man, I'm trying to remember where I first saw him. Oh, I first saw him in another Travolta movie and Get Shorty, Get Shorty. Yeah, maybe that or The Hard Way that was a big one for my I didn't see that until later. Ransom, you know what, I bet Ransom is the one that, like where he really made like a huge impression on me. He was great. And see the thing is, Delroy Lindo is always like earnest and like determined, you know, and it's like, man, this is a guy. I'd follow this guy. I totally He's uh, it's just I'm remembering this moment.
Speaker 2: I was like, do I tell this whole story? But basically I was in a bar and I saw Keith David.
Speaker 1: Okay, and.
Speaker 2: But it was like when we were still wearing masks. So I like, I just entered the restaurant, I was wearing a mask.
Speaker 1: And I saw Keith David. I was like, oh, crap's Keith David.
Speaker 2: And so I wanted to like acknowledge him, but I didn't think he could see my face, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Me smiling or whatever. So I did like a little bow.
Speaker 2: Okay, I put my like my hands together and did like a little bow. And then he did like a little thing back, which was like hey, all right and awesome, and I was just eat like Dela Roy Lindo gives me that same thing, Like if I saw him in a restaurant, I feel like I need to acknowledge.
Speaker 1: Him, like dude, you would bow? Yeah, I just like a little dude, You're great man. Yeah. It's funny because he was a couple of years later, he was in a movie called Romeo Must Die. Do you remember that? I do? Yeah, with Aliyah and jet Lee, and that whole movie is just absolutely cockamami and it's it's just tonally all over the place, right right. But then you got del Roy Lindo as a Leah's dad and if he is not acting as if he is in the most serious, dramatic role of his career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I just love that he totally I mean again going back to the like those character actors that just have that singular magic. I mean, him in that opening scene, just sitting there existing like all right, well now it's time to like he's just adding the thing that only he can add that makes that character immediately interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do love this whole conceit here right where it's like they're trying to see if they can hide I guess from radar carrying these nuclear missiles. Yeah, it didn't make me nervous to where he's like, all right, we're what do you say, like, we're one hundred yards above the ground. Yeah, but there's like some little.
Speaker 1: Peak or cragg you miss. Yeah. I'm still trying to game out like whether Deacon's plan makes even a lick of sense. It seems like there's too many variables, and so I'm like, and then I'm like, why am I over there? I'm like, what am I doing? You know? Right right? What's the first one that comes to mind? Well, it's so much of it relies on being at a certain place and having you know, like at one point, you know he his plan rested on Hale trying to disarm it right right, right right, and this stuff. You know, it's a lot of a lot of that stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's funny too if there's a drop off spot and they're in a plane that's going like who knows how many miles an hour over the crownd.
Speaker 1: Is he right there? He says yeah. He's like, you get off on it, and it seems like a pretty innocuous insult. Yeah, it's like that's what triggered Deacons, you bastard. Don't tell me what I get off on.
Speaker 2: But like that insane over the top like close up zoom in on his eyes or whatever. That's you're like, oh, yeah, John Wu, you know what I mean? Like I feel like John Wu like really had like his huge moment. Well I mean he had a big moment before all his movies in the US, but like he really did take the US by storm for.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was like a four year window. It feels like, right because you had this because before this was hard target, which you know I mean that you know that probably hit the ceiling of John Claude van Dam's audience, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, but he does this, and then the next year was Face Off, and then I think after that was Mission Impossible too, right, Oh really was there anything in between? You? Maybe? Right? No, I guess you're right, and then like wind Talker's Paycheck, and then was yeah and none of those performed. Yeah, But but I mean the fact that his style was so.
Speaker 2: Like fresh feeling and exciting that it wasn't like he was just making Jet Lee movies, you know, or something where it's like, oh, it's action.
Speaker 1: Who cares about the plot?
Speaker 2: Like as long as you know, as long as the action is cool and flashing over the top, like Tom Cruise was like that's my guy. Like Mission Impossible one made by Brian de Palma, and then with two his follow up, he's like, no, man, I want that.
Speaker 1: I ended up with the worst one out of all eight. Yeah, but it does remain a amazing time capsule.
Speaker 2: I will give you that a moment, right, I mean, just the crazy like the zoom in close ups and the you know, kicking a gun on the ground and then it flies up into the air so you can spin around and pick it up with doves flying behind him.
Speaker 1: You know, like it was a moment. It was, you know, And I will say I think that's what does make this movie a little bit better than just being something that would be kind of forgettable otherwise. I absolutely agree with that.
Speaker 2: I mean, the helicopter propeller thing when it's coming at Samantha mathis like all that stuff, that's the stuff that makes this worth going back to thirty years later, because otherwise, like the plot itself, unfortunately, even though it's an intrigued, pretty goofy yeah.
Speaker 1: It doesn't really feel like much by this. I mean, especially when you know, with hindsight, we're like, this is the writer of Speed and the creator of Justified and all this stuff. They're like, well, this on the story level kind of a swing and a miss. I think. I think John gives it a little bit of zazz totally, you know, And certainly that's what audiences were in the mood for back then, because this was a pretty substantial hit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I made one hundred and fifty million worldwide on a budget of around fifty.
Speaker 1: Remember when both of those figures were okay, yeah, yeah, that was good, right, which is wild when you think about one hundred and fifty million worldwide in nineteen ninety six money, and now some like you know, marvel Movie or something like or them Marvels didn't even maybe make or maybe made about one hundred worldwide. Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 2: Crazy the box office, Like you can't just when you get used to what movies look like they should be making, like the game changes, I know, seriously. Yeah, hey, it's it's a whole table of Hey, that guys, totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We got kurtwood Smith right holding court right up. So you talk about a type. He just waiting for him to call somebody a dumb ass.
Speaker 2: I dude, I was waiting for him to be like a mole or something, or like some bad guy just because maybe RoboCop or something.
Speaker 1: And that fell on the on the left there in the previous shot. That's Daniel von Bargain. He was. He was George's boss on Seinfeld, one of George's bosses. Oh really yeah, And of course Frank Whaley look at the big brain on Brett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was happy to see him. And then I mean, this is a pulp fiction reunion for him and John Travolta.
Speaker 1: That's right. Although I don't believe they occupy any scenes together, not in this. Yeah, doesn't it feel like Frank Whaley's character should be bigger in the story.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. He reminded me of John Cusack.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, he's the John Cusack character. Yes, yes, in conn Air, Yeah, in Connor yep.
Speaker 2: Like he's the guy who's not the action he zo, but he's got like the know how and the smarts and he knows what he needs to do on the side sidelines to get the job done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It almost feels like because they didn't get a bigger name, they were like, yeah, we can just kind of disappear like two thirds of the way through. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But he so I thought he right here where he sort of like tells them I don't remember what he says exactly, but like this plan is dumb. I thought, then, Oh, shoot, kurtwood Smith was going to be like, come with me, young man, and take him into another room and basically like lock him up, or that was like what I was anticipating. But Waley, man, he was like, I mean, he's he's still going. But like in the nineties he was having a real moment. I mean, actually eighty nine with Field of Dreams. He was Archie Graham.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: And then you know, he was in I mean Swing Kids, which I think is kind of like a cult hit, but I remember it pretty well. JFK, Career Opportunities, pulp fiction, Swimming with Sharks, like he was having a real moment in the nineties.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. We don't see him as much anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting. I could see him being on some good show or something, you know. I mean, he's he's interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, I was. I was thinking that about Christian Slater watching because because he's a lot of fun in this. Actually I was like, I was like, I don't know, maybe just because you know, we grew up with Christian Slater, and I'm like, it's nice to see him kind of be the focal point in an action picture. I don't think he did a whole ton, but I was like, you know, I want to see him do like a he should be doing an NCIS or something.
Speaker 2: You know, dude, one he's actually I don't think he is a spoiler, but he shows up at the end of If I had legs, i'd kick you, okay, just in the third act, and I was like.
Speaker 1: Questions later, Hey, nice to see you. There's there's that one movie and I don't remember what it's called, but he plays like the head of like a team who investigate serial killers or something like that, and he has like this death that's freaking goddamn horrifying. Okay, and so it's it's one it's like the Drew Barrymore in Scream kind of death. Oh sure, sure. And it's like this elaborate set of it's like a him and his team going to this place and they trigger a trap that sets off like a like a what do you call it, uh, Rube Goldberg kind of It's like this elaborate Rube Goldberg thing exactly, and it and it's it's oh god, damn it. You know the it like freezes you liquid nitrogen, liquid nitrogen. Yeah, And so his legs, his ankles freeze and he like tips over, and then his midsection freezes and he rips open. Was this post saw it may have been, Yeah, I should figure out what the movie is. I saw it because somebody online was like, hey, Christian Slater's death and whatever was freaking messed up, and so I naturally I'm like, well, obviously I have got in your car. Yeah, you know, he out to Cineplex odeon. I didn't even do that. I pulled it up on YouTube. It's like a relatively recent movie. But holy hell, I'm trying to remember what the movie was though, I don't know. Man, he's interesting.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, like in the eighties, you know, he kind of had that young Jack Nicholson thing going on, right with the arched eyebrows and I mean he's like basically imitating Jack Nicholson in Heathers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then he had sort of like cuff mind Hunters, right, that's the movie mind Hunter Hunters. Yeah, so it's a film. It's it's it is a film, Yeah, two thousand and four. Wait is this the Val Kilmer is in it? Oh, I'm thinking it was something else. It actually is a pretty crazy cast. Yeah, a little cool Jay's in it. Johnny Lee Miller. Christian Slater is the ant and we know why he's the and right right direct by Rannie Harlan. Actually, oh interesting. Anyway, look that up. I had to see it, so you should too. I'll report back. Yeah. I'm like, oh hey, guys, no, like you know, like the early nineties, pump up the volume. This is a little little reunion. Speaking of Pump up the Volume with Samantha Mathis, Yeah, we're about to see right here. Basically they have their little meat cute. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, because they then they dated in real life and they were broken up at this point. So I was reading that they both found it a little awkward.
Speaker 1: Although I mean they they're fun together. Oh they're good. Oh no, totally in the movie. I mean you you wouldn't know that. I think Jennifer Aniston was up for this. That's interesting, isn't it. I mean, this is what friends had started. Huh. Friends was about two years and yeah, so I read Helen I see a little less. But I guess she went and did Twister her and and that movie didn't do much of anything. So I mean, yeah, she chose wisely. I could see Jennifer Aniston in this. You know, she would bring an interesting energy.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I'd feel a lot of like chemistry between them necessarily, but she would bring a fun almost like Sandra Bullock and Speed kind of fun I think to it with their personality.
Speaker 1: I don't know that there's a ton of chemistry between No, these two either. No, I don't disagree with that, and it's almost like the movie knows that because we don't even end with like a clinch or anything. You know. Yeah, they like hold hands. I think they shake hands like and then we cut to black.
Speaker 2: Well, at least they're touching. It does feel like there's a scene missing, but we can get to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny. I also read that they thought about this by the way that real Okay, this is like a very John Wu thing where they both draw at the same time.
Speaker 2: And yes, these sort of standoffs or stalemates where the characters both have a weapon drawn on you each other, kind.
Speaker 1: Of like so what do we do now? Yeah, there's a lot of those in John Wu movies and in this movie. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'd read that they thought about Lauren Hally and I was like, wow, she looks like Lauren Holly in this movie. Yeah, almost like they wanted Holly and they're like, here, put on this wig.
Speaker 1: They did like a vertigo with Jimmy Stewart's character, you know, where he's like, right, right, right, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but real quick, I have to say I have a Christian Slater story, which is back in the day I was working somewhere and a friend.
Speaker 1: Fired some liquid nitrogen at his I was the guy. I was the mind hunter you pastored.
Speaker 2: No, But I was working at a studio and this one girl was like, Hey, there's gonna be a led Zeppelin laser light show.
Speaker 1: We should all go.
Speaker 2: And so we, you know, a few of us show up, and I thought it was gonna be really cool and she was gonna be cool. And then we learned later that everyone else was like, why are we doing this? Aye going to this theater and then sitting two rows behind us Christian Slater.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so uh yeah we saw the same led Zeppelin laser light show.
Speaker 1: Did you sidle up next to him be like I loved you and broken arrow? I should have? I should have? He's like ah, and then he moves like two seats down. Even the way you just did that made me think of him. Ah, I'm just suit over down seats here. He had a TV show. I don't know if you remember. It was called My I think it was like my own Worst Enemy. I don't remember that, yes is the problem. I'm pretty sure it was like an NBC something or other. Oh, like a comedy, Oh my comedy. Yeah, it was a drama.
Speaker 2: It was canceled after its fourth episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was one of them, oh Man, Taylor Lautner, Yeah, wow, Saffron, Burrows and Cromwall nine episodes. Good lord, So it got canceled before like it it even aired its completed episodes. Wow.
Speaker 2: I also remember him really early on in a movie called Gleaming the Cube.
Speaker 1: This yeah yeah, yeah. Anyway, so this movie for him was I mean, that's what I'm saying, in terms of visibility and the type of role kind of kind of a big deal. And I think for the most part he quits himself. Fine, you know, yeah, I think so. But but I do think that there the energy levels are very off between him and Travolta, definitely, right, And so you know, I think I think that this goes to what we were talking about before, where Deacons he's playing him like a like a like a comic book villain, you know, and and I, like I said, I think that makes him watchable, but it it does. Ah, I I bump up against that a little bit, right, Yeah, yeah, just because I like a more complicated villain, you know. No, I agree, and I admire the swing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it's not even like captured properly at times, like he's doing these big goofy like you say, like comic book villainy sort of what a yeah, but like sometimes they're not even in close up. He's like in like a medium shot and then he just like reveals how awkward it is.
Speaker 1: You know now, Now that being said, man, the Deacons theme, Oh yeah, dude, I love it. By the way, So I mean, yes, it's the Dewey theme also in Scream Too. Dude.
Speaker 2: When I was watching this, I was like, that is the Dowey theme. Yeah, Like I'm confused, And so then I googled it and.
Speaker 1: Basically, did you read about this? They tempt to Scream Too with this, Yes, and they just kept it right. They liked it too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they I think they showed it even to like a test audience, and it just it all completely worked, and they're like, well, we're just gonna use the theme from Broken Arrow the Dewey's theme in the screen movies from now on.
Speaker 1: See. So I watched this for sure before I saw Scream Too, and so I remember, and I had the soundtrack. I loved the soundtrack. Yeah, And so when we see Dewey and scream two. I'm like, wait a minute, I know that you know that well at that point. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew it very well. Yeah, that is so funny.
Speaker 2: I wonder how often that's happened. Every now and then you will see in the credits. Oh, I'll try to google and talk in a minute. But I remember at the end of some movie it said death of a turtle from the movie My Blue Heaven or something interesting, and I was like, oh, that's so fascinating, Like it's just a really random track from a movie. I don't think a lot of people pull from often, but it must have been a case where yeah, they tempt the movie with something and people are like, we can't beat this. They just ended up licensing score from another film for their own film.
Speaker 1: How often that happens? I can think of at least a few times that I can remember. Oh, by the real quick, I kind of love you know VONDI Curtis hall Over here. He was a villain in Diehard too, and now he gets the treatment that the villains do to the guys in Diehard. To remember like the oh yeah, totally there you go, hoisted by one's own petard. One might say so Here's an example of this. Comes to mind as I'm talking to you. The movie Troy. The scene where Brad Pitt and Eric Banna have their sword fight. Yeah, the music during that scene, I mean, the score is like Harry Gregs and Williams are Don Zimmer or something, right, But in that scene it's Danny Elfman's theme from the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes. Really, it's just straight up that theme. H Isn't that weird? That is weird? We by the Okay I found it. Turtle Death.
Speaker 2: I can't believe I remember the name of the piece, Turtle Death.
Speaker 1: A piece of Ira.
Speaker 2: Newborn score from the motion picture My Blue Heaven is used in the film Problem Child too.
Speaker 1: Wow. That just shows you what kind of kid I was.
Speaker 2: I was like eleven years old watching Problem Child two and watching the credits and being like, wait a minute, that piece is from the other movie that I saw was Steve Martin in it.
Speaker 1: My Blue Heaven. Yeah, it's so weird that we have that movie as a specific point of reference because, like, I remember being a kid in Saudi Arabia and we lived in an apartment building, and so sometimes it would be like parties either above or below, and so my brother and I we would just go get food from the party and then we'd just come back to our apartment, which was empty because my parents were at the party, and we always had like a movie to watch. And so for me, my memory is of watching My Blue Heaven. Really, so like every once and while, I'll tell my brother, I'm like, hey, why don't we just snak away, let's go watch My Blue Heaven. I guess.
Speaker 2: That's really funny, which like a little hit like Lost Gem. That's really good movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really good movie. Yeah. Uh Troy. By the way, the score by the late great James Horner. I want to credit credit where due.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, we're talking a little bit over the movie here. But dude, Howie Long Eh he had like kind of an action career for a second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, based on this they get well, first of all, his character was supposed to die early, and they just kind of liked what he was doing.
Speaker 2: He's got a great look, I mean that big square ahead of his you know, the flat top.
Speaker 1: And not not a bad actor, certainly in this movie. He's him. Yeah, he Well, he could have been like another Brian Bosworth. No, for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not sure that I could see him carrying a movie necessarily, but like he's great as like like a lackey with that a memorable lackey or charming lackey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah he was. He headlined a movie on after this, maybe the following year, called Firestorm. Okay, I kind of remember this video is like a story he plays like a firefighter or something, and and you know, it's pretty forgettable. I I honestly I don't remember whether he was good or not, but clearly he didn't get more of a movie career after that. So yeah, but you know, not bad.
Speaker 2: And I mean you get a football career, an announcing career, you get some movies under your belt.
Speaker 1: I mean he's still doing that, right, he's still announcing. Yeah, there you go. Yeah. So anyway, where where are we on the story here? So we got to he dropped the bombs? This guy thinks Bob Gunton, Bob Gunton is like two seconds away from going you you actor to John Trabolta, and he like you know, pushes him out a window. Basically he's that guy from The Rocketeer, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right right like stop stop stop reference by the way, because I thought you were going to say another gund In performance. No, no, no, no, that's just a really but that's perfect, that's exactly You're right, that's a perfect example.
Speaker 1: Like, don't say that he's just gonna like kill you. Why would you say that, Bob Gunton by that. I don't know if you know this. He was the body double for the ghost of Egon Spangler in Ghostbusters Afterlife. Wow. Yeah, yeah, so like on set? Random, Yeah, on set he was the guy and then they overlaid a digital Harold Ramis mask on him. Interesting. Yeah, I mean you could get anybody, yeah, you know for the body. They just wanted a performance. I guess that's great. Maybe he knew him, Yeah, possibly her. He's a friend of friend of the wrightman's possibly. Yeah. Interesting. So Samantha Mathis was between you know, pump up the volume in this. She was Princess Peach in the Super Mario Brothers movie. That's right, that's right, and then she uh, gosh what eight years after this, she was in another trouble To movie. She was in The Punisher. Oh but I don't remember it very well. Yeah, the Thomas Jane one. Yeah, she's she's the Punisher's wife.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, Oh okay, oh yeah, so she doesn't make it far in the movie. I remember that, yeah, yeah, yeah, geez.
Speaker 1: They're like, let's just massacre his whole extended family. Remember that, Yes, yeah I do, I do. I remember. It's pretty rough now that that movie by way of comparison, right, like, I think, I think John really does elevate the action, yes, whereas The Punisher, for example, is directed by Jonathan Hensley for the first time director. And and that's why that movie is kind of just ordinary, you know. Yeah, I think that like shots like this right here, you know, where we're tracking them running and stuff like who is giving a lot of visual interest that that I think really does, you know, make make you lean forward at times totally. It heightens the action for sure, makes it because I think I don't know how much of a reputation this movie has carried forward. I suspect it's a nostalgic favorite for people who were kind of in the right age range for it, you know, yeah, yeah, but I don't know that it's really lived on. I mean, maybe you can correct me.
Speaker 2: No, I don't, not that I'm aware of, Yeah, but you know, I'm just as I'm like looking at what's happening, I'm realizing how similar this is to speed. You have kind of a real time issue, you know, and then you've got this guy who's like a you know, he's military or you could you know, say, you know, Jack Travin is like a police officer. And then you encounter sort of a normy character, like a female, you know, and then she gets thrust to the action, and then they team up and become partners and then kind of romantic by the end. You know, it's like a little yeh echoes.
Speaker 1: It's a good point. And yet this character Hale doesn't doesn't quite you know, transcend the screen the way the way Keanu Reeves's character does. No. I wonder why that is. By the way, real quick, I just have to call it. This is I was like, this is great. This helicopter with the back rotor thing coming at her. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be in that position, you know what. I love.
Speaker 2: This is the kind of action I feel like we don't see anymore because it doesn't seem big enough on the page, right, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because now with computers and everything, we can make it ten times bigger. But like there's something like really understandable and realistic about a helicopter, like you know what I mean, like the rotor blade.
Speaker 1: That's scary.
Speaker 2: And if that's coming at you and you frame it right and you you know, make it really tense. What a scary idea. This helicopter crashing and you missed it. Great, but it's flipping over and the road is still spinning and it's gonna cut you in half unless you move in time. And then seeing it even hitting the rocks and sparking like it's really visceral.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I really I love that. That's all bad news. I don't want to be.
Speaker 2: That's why I enjoy going back to these nineties movies like we do, because they just look different, you know than movies now, like movies now kind of have. And I'm not even like griping, It's just that's what happens over time. Things look different. But there's just like a different sort of flatter digital machine to everything.
Speaker 1: These days these days.
Speaker 2: And so I do enjoy going back to things that actually look like they were shot in a real location and are dusty and you know, grimy and gritty and like a real practical helicopter. They're obviously not really you know gon, Yeah, but like you know what I'm saying, or like the example I always bring up is the uh when the sw and Terminator two is going down the freeway and then the helicopter crashes into the back of it, right, and I'm like, damn, dude, that's still crazy to me. That looks really hard to do. It looks really awesome and practical and inventive and exciting, and I just kind of miss that visceral type of action because we.
Speaker 1: Just know that much anymore. Well, I think unfortunately, and this is a conversation you and I have had before. You know, the realm for movies in that vein has become streaming originals. Yeah, yeah, for whatever reason, And you know, there's just that just feels like a downgrade. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And even in like the bigger theatrical action movies, I really I visual effects can be incredible, and when they are incredible, we don't even notice. But unfortunately, sometimes when you do notice and it's not working quite right, Like even if you just have like cars flipping over things or falling off of buildings.
Speaker 1: And you're like, man, that doesn't quite right.
Speaker 2: So then you're not feeling the same thing versus a movie from fricking nineteen eighty The Blues Brothers. When you're watching that car chase at the end, which is still incredible and you have all these real cars slamming into each other, it just hits differently.
Speaker 1: No pun intended that, yeah, you know. And so it's like, whenever we have these discussions, right, I have to fight the urge to just be like, you know, dag namit.
Speaker 2: I know I don't want to sound like that, but I really do mean that is a pleasure that I get then out of watching something like this.
Speaker 1: Where it's not like the greatest movie really, but the action is fun.
Speaker 2: It's captured in a dynamic way from John wu and it's nice to see some like real cool explosions and effects and crashes, and you know, so you're.
Speaker 1: Still waiting for kurtwood Smith to make because he'll turn here. I guess when he took Wayley aside and was actually like, okay, you want to be like.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Then he blows his hand off from now I'm thinking of Brett that shocked look on his face.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because the scene is like so compelling, and I like probably have the whole thing memorized backwards and forwards, but it's still upsetting when he gets shot.
Speaker 1: I know, man, that movie. That movie's on Pluto all the time now.
Speaker 2: And I still fiction pulp fiction. I stopped on it every time. That movie is just so rewatchable to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, I screened it occasionally in my film classes, and it's I mean, it's shocking how many people just have forget seen it. They haven't even heard of it.
Speaker 2: So how does that play then thirty some years later, generally they enjoy it for people who don't even know it's reputation, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's pretty fresh, right, I mean, like you didn't see a ton of movies really emulating its structure, you know, and it's it's just it's just overflowing with these compelling performances. So it's still I mean, that movie, that movie is eternal. Yeah, yeah, I agree. Broken Arrow.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to take us down to other avenues here, but by the way, I have to say, my parents live basically on the border of Tulsa and Broken Arrow in Oklahoma. Wow, And it didn't even occur to me until like right, before we started, I googled Broken Arrow to pull up like the IMDb page and then it said Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. And I was like, oh, yeah, this isn't it funny when you have certain words and I'm like, when I'm thinking about the movie, I'm not thinking about the city. But when I'm thinking about the city, I'm not thinking about the movie.
Speaker 1: I've never made the connection. You put them in their little in their individual boxes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the kind of incisive commentary everybody showed up for. From me, it's this is like, it looks like Wayne's basement down there, but that's not Wayne's basement.
Speaker 1: That weird Now, in terms of the reaction of the movie us as you and I both do, we checked out the Ciskel and the Ebert review. Yes, Yes, and for the first time ever, maybe the only time we saw, we saw Geene Siskel change his his thumb mide review. Yes. He started as a thumbs up and by the time they were done, it was a thumbst down.
Speaker 2: He basically he starts with a thumbs up and then Ebert's like, come on.
Speaker 1: And he's like, yeah, you're right, Yeah, you're right. But it's funny because you know, I mean they are.
Speaker 2: They they're like hardly ever sort of joking like they really like can get at one another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I mean. So you see Ciskel a little bit like she's like okay, okay, Like it's like weird to see him in this, like.
Speaker 2: You know, relenting, like, Okay, Ebert has the power here in this moment, I have to acknowledge that. Then it's funny because he turns it around. He goes, Now, if I do this, you have to at least in this moment, change your review about your positive review about Cop.
Speaker 1: And a Half.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it's funny because Ebert pauses for like the perfect beat and goes, no, I don't think I'll do that like.
Speaker 1: Cop and a Half, which Ebert gave a thumbs up to. Yes, And it's it's uh, it's Burt Reynolds and a little boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a boy witnesses a murderer kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's like Burt Reynolds's kindergarten cop type thing, you know, totally And and I haven't seen it, but I saw the poster and that was enough for me to say I will never watch it. I can picture it in my head right now.
Speaker 2: It's it's the boy with the handcuffs and he's putting it over Burt Reynolds's eyes exactly.
Speaker 1: I saw it because that was in the in in comic book ads. Yep, and and I was like, nope, not watching that ever. Yeah, yeah, And I've stood by that to this day. One of the few promises I've kept to myself, you know. But yeah, So, for for whatever reason, Ebert was a puns up on that.
Speaker 2: Maybe think of that Robert Frost poem about promises to keep. You're just like, and you know what, I never did watch Cup and a half. I had promises to keep miles ago before I sleep.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. That just made me think of that. Well, you give me action sequences like this, I agree, dude, by the way, pretty bad ass where he's shooting at the window but it's bulletproof glass and you see the ricochets on the glass but Travolta isn't flinching. Yeah, it's pretty bad ass. But this did make me laugh where he's like bulletproof glass. I'm like okay, And then they.
Speaker 2: Start shooting through the roof and I was like, well, why would you That makes no sense? Why would the whole car not be bulletproof.
Speaker 1: But the glasses, well, these are humpies. Yeah, and this is the first movie that used military humbies, Is that true? Yeah? And then Arlt.
Speaker 2: Schwarzenegger saw it and was like, whoa, just remember he was like one of the first people to dry I've a humvy on the road.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then that's when they started making the hummer Yeah yeah wait I remember.
Speaker 2: Also in The Rock, isn't there a line where Conrie steals the guy's car and he's like yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that was such a moment.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of like the cyber truck or something where it was like they have appeared out of nowhere, and then it was.
Speaker 1: This status symbol and then you realize, well, this is really impractical in like eighty eight percent of my day to day experiences, you know. Yes, yeah, it just was like a look that people wanted to flash on the road. Yeah. But see you see a cyber truck, You're like, oh, there's an asshole. Well, I mean, I don't know, except for the people who may be listening right now, No, I'm going to say it, I'm not. I'm not. I don't I don't feel I don't feel that about people who drive cyber tucks. I'm saying, if you drive a cyber truck, there is a high probability that people are like, hey, there goes an asshole. Oh, they definitely are not very popular exactly, So I don't know that Humby's had that same level of of sort of asshole assignation. It's not quite a band name. What is that assignation? By the way we're talking over this is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I do like how he improvises with the gas and the flare.
Speaker 1: That was pretty cool. I gotta say so. I think that this gets to one of the structural problems of this movie, which is like chase scene, a brief talking, chase scene, brief talking, and it's just kind of, you know, the progression doesn't really feel there, you know what I mean? Yeah, No, I don't disagree, Like I almost feel like it would. Well a couple of points. I think Graham Yost was probably deliberately trying to do the exact opposite of speed in what way, well, like speed is like largely confined to the truck, and then it excuse me, to the bus, and then you know, later on they do the train thing. He's like, I'm going to do the opposite of that. I'm going to like basically the whole you know, this whole desert expanse will be my playground. But weirdly, I think you lose something because I think if the story is more contained, it's it's more you know, it's it's more thrilling, and you know, at times it feels languid. I don't know, the pacing feels off sometimes, you know, No, I.
Speaker 2: Agree, I agree, you know, and the action is fun, but I don't know that it's memorable enough, right, which probably so as long as if the story's just going to be just okay, you at least want your set pieces to be something where you go, whoa, I haven't seen that before and you want to watch it again. I mean, think of Speed, I mean just all the crazy set pieces with that bus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, when you think about it, with Speed, right, you have a great action sequence on the elevator, great action sequence on the bus, great action sequence on the train. And by the way, that's not to say I mean that movie is just fires on every cylinder, story, acting, action, whatever. But yes, yes, take all that other stuff away.
Speaker 2: The action in that movie is super memorable and unique and incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you know, I I think that the stuff that John Wu tends to excel at is weirdly at cross purposes with with the general thrust of this movie, which is more you know, like like John Wu, there's there's sort of a ballletic approach to his action scenes totally, and this isn't really suited to that. Hmm hmmm, because you know, I'm I'm just thinking of his like Hong Kong movies, right, like if we're talking about Hard Boiled for example, you know that you know that there's the stakes are you know, it's really getting into like good and evil and universal reality and stuff. You know, he's really getting into some stuff and the action scenes are are a way of tackling those themes. Yeah. Yeah, this movie is you know, it's disposable nineties you know, explosion porn, you know, and so it it almost feels like John Wo outclasses it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, because otherwise maybe change the actors, like this would have been kind of like a video store Howie Long movie.
Speaker 1: No apologies to how We Long, but you know what I mean. Yeah, But I mean, well we should talk about the act that that you know, Travolta was at this moment in his career where where he was a legitimate draw.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, pulp fiction had just revived his career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so pulp Fiction is ninety four, and then after that he does Phenomenon. Now that was this year, that was ninety six. Phenomenon would have been this summer. Okay, so it was Michael, was that ninety five?
Speaker 2: I don't remember the specificity, but I remember all these like close to one another.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Phenomenon was definitely after this, okay, and then somewhere in the middle there was was get shorty yep. But it's like, it's interesting to me because for sure, during the time when when you and I were coming up, like Travolta had his down period and then he suddenly he gets his Oscar nomination from pulp fiction, Suddenly he's on top yep. And like I said, there was like there was like a six seven, generously eight year period where he wasn't above the line draw.
Speaker 2: For anyone else who's thinking it, I did hear Zach you say six seven.
Speaker 1: But yes, what's great about that what you just did is that that that like John Travolta's career listening to this like ten years Surromni and we're like, what does that mean? I don't understand what that.
Speaker 2: After the nuclear apocalypse and this is like, for some reason, the only audio people can find to listen to for some sort of you know, sense of normalcy.
Speaker 1: They'll be like, I don't understand huddled around the fire together. But he he was real big, right, yes, and then it's just like it just fell off right why? Well?
Speaker 2: So, I mean really, to be specific, like he was in the seventies right, like Welcome Back cod or Grease, Saturday Night Fever. You know, he was like on fire and then you know it, the flame was flickering a little bit and it was like the look, who's talking movies? Like Talking three and yeah, Tarantino injected life back into his career with pulp fiction. Then yeah, like you said, he's he's a draw. When did it taper again?
Speaker 1: What was that? I'm gonna say early aughts? Yeah, Like I remember like General's daughter. General's daughter was like two thousand, Okay, that was when it was sort of like I don't have to see all of his movies, right, and that was Yeah, that was like two thousand and then and then I remember Basic Yes, right, which wasn't that John McTiernan. I want to say it is, Yeah, yeah, And I mean he's still he still is headlining movies, but they're all like straight to streaming type stuff. Yeah. Yeah, But didn't he have like another kind of injection at some point? Am I wrong? I'm trying to think maybe he was. You know, back in twenty nineteen, he was in a movie called The Fan, which was directed by Fred Durst. I started Devin Sawa and I'm like one of two people who gave that movie a positive review. I reviewed it for The Chronicle and I said that Travolta like he's just doing his character actor thing, you know, and he's and he was fun to watching that, you know. I thought, yeah, the minority clearly.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, there was like the because I don't really remember that movie sadly if it's good.
Speaker 1: But he was doing the Gatti movie remember that for movie past? Yep? Yep, that's right. So yeah, kind of a weird like he's still he's still a capital S star in the sense that people know who he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but he can't carry a movie. I don't think you know, it's hard, right, I mean, it's you've got to find the right material that you shine in.
Speaker 1: Particularly.
Speaker 2: That can't be easy, especially when you know new people come up and then they're thinking of those people and not thinking of you as much. But you got to keep working, so then you make some things that aren't so great. You can continue to pay for your airplanes, you know. And then when we see a string of those movies that he's doing, maybe just for paychecks, then we start to think, oh, well, I guess he's not yeah, good movies anymore.
Speaker 1: It's a weird, weird professional and I should say I mean, I mean, everything I've heard is that he's a really nice guy.
Speaker 2: Me too, I think I don't know that I've heard a lot of firsthand stories about him, although I did see him.
Speaker 1: At Musso and Frank once. Oh it's random, that's pretty exciting, be nice to the wait staff. I don't recall.
Speaker 2: I just remember seeing him in a booth and just like I was leaving and I was like, holy crap, that's John Trobolta.
Speaker 1: And then you sidle up next to him. I loved you and broken arrow. He moves two booths down. It's right, but yeah, yeah, oh he did that OJU mini series remember that. Oh that's right, he was who was he? It's Shapiro, that's right. He had like the crazy eyebros. I forgot about that. Wow, yeah that was good. Well. Look, you can see the beginnings of his character actor arc here in this movie, right, because because when you think about it, I I you know, this kind of gets what we were saying earlier. I applaud the swing where he's like, he could play hail. It's a standard issue action hero, easy check. The movie would probably do well anyway. And so he's like, you know what, let me, let me do something a little different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Yeah, And his performance in here is one of the things like if you're going to list like three things you remember about.
Speaker 1: This movie, yeah, yeah, absolutely, you know.
Speaker 2: All right, so we're underground now. This is the thing too, which I think about sometimes in terms of like writing a story like this. It's like, all right, well, you've got these missiles. How do you staying two hours of like back and forth and feeling like there's an opportunity for our hero to get the thing back, but then he's got to have it taken away, and how do you do that for two hours.
Speaker 1: With these things, you know, So it's I don't know. I think they come up with some.
Speaker 2: Interesting ideas and locations like this mine here, right, you know, and like that's an opportunity for one of them to go off underground so it doesn't hurt anybody, and you know, I don't know's there's some some good stuff here.
Speaker 1: Well, this is this is where it. You know. Having the park ranger character is very helpful.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, which is which is good because you want her to not just be sort of like a damsel tagging along, like she's got a specific skill set that she gets. We get check Off's underground river that she mentioned earlier.
Speaker 1: That's right, look at him, he's that's the timer to be thirteen and say, look what an asshole this Deacons. I'm just gonna say it, Brian, I don't think this Deacons is a good guy.
Speaker 2: I do love it though he puts that in and smashes the keypad.
Speaker 1: Just to a Sure, he's so nuts, but the movie, right, don't you feel like we're missing a step in terms of why he's so nuts.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's sort of like speed right where you've got Oh, well he was like bomb Unit, and then.
Speaker 1: We needed that scene exactly right, because it's like he's like I got passed over from promotion, and you know, he took things to kind of an extreme place. But if we have you know, Frank Whaley or whoever you know with the print out, oh like Deacons and this happened, and then in nineteen ninety two, you know, his wife died or what like something. You know. I totally agree.
Speaker 2: I mean, The Rock always comes up as one of the greatest villains ever because his motivations are so fascinating, you know what I mean, where it's like he's the bad guy, but you also totally get what he wants and like can't really disagree. You may disagree with his actions, but you understand his motives, you know. But yeah, I agree these this is very flimsy here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's an odd choice to me, especially considering The Rock was literally like like four months away or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, but I feel like The Rock that is like the A plus version of this kind of movie, right, It really is, I mean, like top to bottom, the direction, the writing, the acting, Like it knows it's a silly action movie and it allows itself to be that, but it's also everything is like a plus. Yeah, Like the casting is a plus, the comedy, the direction, the writing. As ludicrous as it is, it's still well written. Craziness, you know what I mean. It's but they can't all be that.
Speaker 1: See this right here, the old slow motion jumping firing thing. Tell me that's not like every kid's dream to like play that in an action movie. Oh totally. I mean yeah, gun in each hand, and I love it.
Speaker 2: He just like dives forward almost like a belly flop onto the ground, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I The Mission Impossible movies have been on Pluto lately, just like repeating. I watched a big Chunk of two the other day, and it is just funny, like seeing Ethan Hunt doing this stuff. Yeah, like he doesn't do that in any of the other movies, but he becomes this like, yeah, like hard boiled badass in that one, and it's just really funny and like that Nigeens or the doves or whatever.
Speaker 1: It is, the doves that are Yeah, that was my issue with that movie. I was like, this isn't Mission Impossible. This is Ethan Hunt, spy guy, you know, totally totally it lost a lot of what makes those movies work, but obviously a lot of that is in hindsight. Yeah. Yeah, but it was a hit when it came out. I mean it was. It was the moment it was I want to say, it was like the number one or number two movie that year, Crazy Go to two thousand, Right, Yeah. Have you ever wanted to throw a grenade? You know? I don't. I don't think I would want to. Actually, I think there'd be a lot of pressure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I would need to watch like a good five minute YouTube video about how they work first, Like because like, wait, so how long until after I let go? If I hold you know, like so I pulled the pin, but it's it's about this little lever, right, Like, yeah, I need to understand it more.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't rattle off every the name of everyone in your company before you throw it. Yes, yes, she's not so bad once you get to see. I feel like at that moment when it comes to throwing a grenade, I'd be like, eh, and that would be the one time in my life where it was like the very worst throw of all time, right, or like.
Speaker 2: A bird would go by and it would hit it and then bounce back toward me. That probably would happen, and then I'd have the Jeff Daniels face from Speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me that is not the best about to die acting in any movie ever. Yep, yep, yep. And I lot surprised.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know what's happening, and you probably got about a second and a half left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, he like Jeff Daniels has actually talked about his process just with that that shot and how everything that went into how he played it, and I'm like, I love that he gave it that much thought. That's great.
Speaker 2: By the way, Speaking of John Wu tropes, we got these guys speaking to one another, but they can't see each other, you know, right right.
Speaker 1: Like in the face off? Have we done face Off? No? Well, my next year at thirtyth anniversary, Perfect, that's the time. You know, I'm kind of curious to go back.
Speaker 2: I've not watched a lot of the older John Wu movies. I'd be kind of curious to see what he was doing before Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Was like we need that. Like I've not seen Hard Boiled. Yeah, I've seen Hard but I feel like I've seen some of his other movies and I can't remember now. Yeah, but like I definitely knew who John Wu was when this came out. Me too. It was like a selling point. Yeah exactly. So I'm like, were we just like huge nerds? Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 2: I mean I was talking about knowing tracks from My Blue Heaven in the movie good point too.
Speaker 1: So I was a killer The Killer, by the way, that's the movie I was thinking of The Killer. Yeah again, I know the title, I know what it is, but I'm also with Chi Fat. Yeah, so those two I've seen. Yeah, this is great. I think it would have worked better with that track from My Blue Heaven. Yes, yeah, that would have made the difference.
Speaker 2: You maybe snort twice. I wonder what was that poll? The gambling thing?
Speaker 1: What's that called? Oh, I know what you're talking about. Yeah, people can do over under and how many times I'm gonna snort? But here we go.
Speaker 2: So we got we got one bomb down there, and then we got them getting away with another one, so we got another chase.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 2: It's good management, right story wise of our mcguffins.
Speaker 1: You know what John Wood did recently I totally forgot about and I thought it was okay wash that movie with Joel Kinneman. This is is ringing a bell Silent night. Yeah, that was John wu huh. Yeah, I haven't seen it. You saw it. I did see it, Okay, I mean it didn't it's not gonna change your life, but I thought, you know, that was good decent action. Yeah. I got a sequence when the when the when the bomb goes off. I think it's pretty well executed.
Speaker 2: Dude, you literally literally took it out of my mouth. Yep, I agree, I agree, And uh, I don't know how they did it. I don't know what the visual effects work is here, but it looks amazing.
Speaker 1: We'll see this like like right here, right here, right here, gunting, what are you doing? Yeah, and Travolta grabs that thing and it was like flashlight or something and it just whacks him in the in the trachyc a couple of times. Yeah that's not good. No, it's very brutal. I remember that. What do you call it?
Speaker 2: Like a crash zoom? I think, yeah, smash zoom, smash zoom. I remember that stood out to me the other night too, where I was just like.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, because he keeps doing it like I think you get to do it one time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Actually I would appreciate it if they kept doing it, but from like different angles.
Speaker 1: See right here, when they're in those tunnels. Thought it'd be funny if they're going in the opposite direction of the goonies. You see them going the other way. I don't acknowledge each other. That would be hilarious. Is there the pirate shit? Dude? Can I kill the mood and say a joke that I wrote down? Now?
Speaker 2: You have to so I think it already happened. I guess I missed it this time. But when they were driving and they throw the one guy out of the car and then they run over him, they say, I think his name is Steve. And then just in my head, I was like, oh, there's got to be like a funny line about this or something. And I was like, he's like a speed bump, Steve bumps, Steve bump. There you go, I think we just hit a Steve bump. Well, after after hearing that joke, I want to do to you what just did to Bob Gunton there?
Speaker 1: Hey, Like I didn't write a lot of things down for this one. I gotta say everything. The Steve bump. I like it, Nada it's not that great. I did also note that somewhere someone.
Speaker 2: Says YadA YadA, YadA, which of course Seinfeld didn't invent that, but they definitely made a popular and so I was curious when that episode aired, and it was a year after this, Okay, so it wasn't like they were getting that from the popularity of Seinfeld at this point in this movie.
Speaker 1: Oh gotcha. Yeah, I mean I had heard YadA YadA, no.
Speaker 2: For sure, but I feel like then after that episode, that was where a lot of people and then it just entered the common vernacular. Yeah, or maybe that's when people started saying, like, so, by the way, that YadA, that thing.
Speaker 1: With the cigarett, that's what that's what was bugging you.
Speaker 2: This is one of the least uh big sort of clenching it with his fingers, but like the one in the locker room is the biggest one.
Speaker 1: You know. It's just funny to me. I don't know, see this here where he's like, I've never killed somebody in person. I don't know right there, Yeah, I know, And now it's bugging me too. That is odd. It's a choice. It's fine. Sorry, you're san No. That thing about about like, oh, I never killed somebody and it's not that big. Stopped doing this smash the.
Speaker 2: Deer, the deer come on, that's great. That almost feels like a naked gun joke or something.
Speaker 1: No, but this whole this whole sequence here, and the way we see the the the blast wave spread out, yeah, very well executed, very good.
Speaker 2: Actually, do you see he did like a really funky thing there with the like the lens or something, and that was really effective, Like it made it look like everything's warping.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. And this, Yeah, that that crater looks great. I don't know how they did it, but it looks really good. See, whenever I see scenes like this where they're all like shaking and stuff, I'm always like, what is it like on set when they're doing that, because presumably the set is not on a gimbal. They're just told to like like shake around, yep, yep. They just feel weird doing silly Do this ripple that's happened. I mean, that's great.
Speaker 2: Know how they did that makes me think of the Dark Knight Rises with the football field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's got to be some kind of digital work. I would think it looks really I mean, especially for ninety six looks amazing. See, well that's kind of that gets what we were talking about before about how how god damn what a rush. He's a bad guy, Brian, Yeah, he loves it. Killing is not a big deal to him. That's what he said. You know, I don't know, I feel like anybody who would say that not a good guy. Yeah, I think she's got a corpse next to that. I know it's just with his head back. Yeah no, but but you know, this movie came out at a time where digital effects were a thing, but they were uh not everything, so they had to be used judiciously. So I don't know that the last wave was was done digitally, but it wouldn't be surprised me it could have been even a little combination of practical and Yeah. Yeah, so disturbing, that really is.
Speaker 2: Oh there's always something very disturbing too about like a bad guy talking to a corpse. Yeah, it's like the Joker, the Joker. Yeah, Like it's really upsetting, and it works really great for the Joker because he's you know how dark he is. And then I remember in Fast ten, I remember Jason MOA's got that guy.
Speaker 1: Oh and he's like doing his nails or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got him like propped up in a lawn chair next to him, and I think, yes, his nails, And I'm like, it's like upsetting, but there's also something kind of like interesting about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, in fairness, Rotelli was a vicious bastard. I'm glad he's dead. Hey, we're good. Butterflies Zachi so okay. So so I now I don't I don't know. I haven't done research, but I'm like, is this is that actually a thing that, oh, if there was a nuclear blast then butterflies wouldn't be there? Is that the movie just making something up? I don't know. I don't because that's what I was wondering about. I feel like I feel like a lot of people might have like made their lives revolve around that truism that is true, I remember sort of.
Speaker 2: I think it's become kind of famous. In Back Begins, I was gonna bring this up.
Speaker 1: We are like completely yeah, right, in the same way, Well do you want to go ahead? No? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: So basically, at the beginning of Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne is training with rozagh Ghoul on a frozen lake, and Ghoul trying to teach Wayne about a lesson about minding his surroundings. He takes his sword taps the ice beneath Bruce Wayne's feet, and Wayne falls through the ice into the icy water below. Then we cut to them around a campfire and Wayne is trying to warm himself because he's freezing, and Rasaghul gives the advice put your hands underneath your armpits.
Speaker 1: It'll it'll warm you faster. And someone asked, Nolan, oh is that true? Where did you hear that?
Speaker 2: And Nolan's like, oh no, no, no, no, I just I just made that up. It just it just sounded good, didn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know?
Speaker 2: And so yeah, I just imagine what if there was someone in the Arctic who was actually freezing and trying to figure out how to warm themselves and save their lives, and they were like, wait a minute, I remember this moment from Batman begins, I just need to put my hands under my armpits and it'll save my life.
Speaker 1: He says, like, mind your chest, your arms will take care of themselves. Yes, something like that. Yeah, yeah, the butterflies. I don't know that. I'm wondering. I feel like somebody may have situated their life around that, and it's just yeah, and I don't know, but it might just be a damn dirty lie. I'm looking.
Speaker 2: Uh, they're sensitive to radiation, what isn't uh Now, I'm not seeing anything very specific here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look at that. Yeah, you liar, yost. So Samantha mathis worth mentioning. She is the daughter of Babie Bish who is uh Captain Kirk's love interest in Wrath of Khan Carol Marcus. Interesting, and she's also in Tremors. You know, the older couple that dies in the car. Oh yeah, interesting, I did Okay, Yeah, I believe she passed away before this movie came out. Okay, she died of cancer. I think. Yeah, that moment, by the way, I really like that.
Speaker 2: That weird thing where Travolta feels like he's kind of sensing something and he looks up in the to the shrubs or whatever. I almost feel like they could have made even more of a meal out of that.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Yeah, I like it. See, I feel like there's one too many action scenes.
Speaker 2: Mmm, like maybe we should be like getting into the end here, we should be on the train by now. Yeah, I'm with you on that, you know, yeah, yeah, yep, because this movie is just under two hours ish, right, I think it's an hour forty eight, and I think if it was an hour thirty eight it would be tighter complete. Yeah yeah, I just you were saying languid earlier.
Speaker 1: I really do. Yeah, I think it would give the movie more snap. That actor, by the way, on the right, the computer nerd, that's Sean Tube from Iron Man. He is oh doctor Dansid. Wow, I see it now. Yeah, huh, that's what I'm saying. Man, this movie is chocolate block full of Hey that guys, Yeah, it really is. Gotta say, those aviator glasses look pretty sharp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of funny too, like the eras of sunglasses, Like you think the aviators from the top gun thing and then well I think of Mission Impossible and Tom Cruise and will sort of like wrap around forty Oakley kind of things. That's the second one, the second one, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I guess it's whatever deal they make with whatever some less company.
Speaker 1: But you know, I feel like aviators are timeless. Oh totally, yeah, like ray bands and things like that. Yeah, this is kind of cool.
Speaker 2: By the way, I love this the camera traveling over the desk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a nice way of adding visual interest to kind of a boilerplate scene. Yeah. Well, by the way, I wanted to call out.
Speaker 2: I just love that he like had this edited together. Like I don't know if everybody had Adobe Premiere back then, but it's like for his like ransom video that he sends to Washington, he cut it.
Speaker 1: Linear deck to deck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly. And if you don't pay, then you're gonna have this. And you just see all these like clips from a bunch of movies.
Speaker 1: I was a train entering a tunnel, rock ship tailor. It's like the metaphor is all wrong. He's like, sorry, that was for that was something else. Yeah, that was different.
Speaker 2: And then it comes back from that. He's like, so anyway, miss you, Jenny, see you at the cabin.
Speaker 1: He was getting He's knocking.
Speaker 2: Out a lot of video messages that day, all at once.
Speaker 1: He had one he had an afternoon to kill, so he got them all out at once. Yeah. Yeah, sorry, you were saying I think I interrupted you.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, well you were saying, you know that you really liked the guitar, the twingy guitar theme you know here, and I saw that Zimmer recruited Dwayne Eddie.
Speaker 1: Specifically to do that. And he's the guy who did the Peter.
Speaker 2: Gunn you know, Dundun Dun Dun dun dune, very similar, very similar sounding rebel rouser. He does that deep twingy guitar thing and got him specifically to do that.
Speaker 1: So he does. That's Dwayne Eddie in this and in Scream too, so fascinating. Yeah, you know, and oh yeah, go ahead, oh just real quick. And in that vein, I think it tells you something that that Deakins gets his own theme and Haile doesn't get doesn't get anything. Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I do like Christian Slater in this because I like Christian Slater, But I do wonder if there was someone who had a little bit more of a a trait or something might have made that character pop a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Well. I was thinking about that, you know, like, who was who was somebody during this era who would have played this role, Who could who could have you know, held the screen opposite Travolta versus just getting sort of blown off of it. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, Cage is not right, you just think, like if you plug Nicholas Cage into this, you just don't think immediate get something.
Speaker 1: Sure, you know what I mean. But remember Nicholas Cage's first action move is the Rock.
Speaker 2: So no, no, no, I'm just but I just as an example where it's like the Rock. If you have Christian Slater in that role, it's a little different versus having Nicholas Cage when he's in that prison cell and like you know.
Speaker 1: The name's Butthole, you know, like it just makes it really interesting and there's a lot more color. Yeah, and so yeah, I don't know who else I would put here. Frank Whaley, John Cusack Zacky. Yeah, maybe that's it. Yeah, maybe that's yeah. Yeah. See now I'm pretty sure that right there is like the last we see of Frank Whaley. Yeah, he should tie in a little bit this scene. You know, it's basically he disappears after this, yeah, or maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I saw that this was originally two hours plus, okay, and uh more character stuff and more violence parents okay, and WU.
Speaker 1: Had to trim it, So I mean, I'll take the character stuff over the violence.
Speaker 2: Actually me too, Well, I think I read that about it's hard target, right you said the vandam Huh. Yeah, Like there's a lot of MPa A problems that WU tends to run into with the graphic violence. But no, I agree, I wouldn't mind a little bit more character stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rope of dope. It's pretty good there, Christ ali Foreman heard of it. I mean at at the when he first blew up, you know, there was a lot of like young Jack Nicholson comparisons, you know, and it's it's yeah, it bums me out a little bit that he I don't know that he ever really reached his potential in terms of that, you know, yeah, because he is, he's a likable uh actor.
Speaker 2: I like, I like seeing him, but uh, I don't know. Yeah, I mean I still think he's He's aging well, and I think he could still even as he gets older, you know. Yeah, Uh there's there could be like some big plum you know, best supporting actor role waiting for him, like ten years from now.
Speaker 1: Well, as it happens, I have this script ready to go called Empty Quiver, which I think he'd be perfect for. Right as sperm number four.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's like he's got to get out before yeah, every everythingyone else is removed.
Speaker 1: I guess we got to get out of here. You just see him in like a like a big you know, like a plush costume. You know, right, it's a big take.
Speaker 2: So it's actually people on two feet running in like fluffy foam foam sperm costumes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Disney characters. Okay, but it'll but it'll be like an Osmosis Jones type thing.
Speaker 2: Totally totally empty quiver. No, it's an empty quivers scenario.
Speaker 1: What what does that mean? English professor man Tony Stark would be so disappointed in this guy right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, telling you, I love that that he has to even like say that. I bet you thought I was a computer nerd.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a nerd. Then boom hammer to the head. That'll do it. That'll do it. Yeah. The whole the whole third act of this movie was just repeatedly me saying, up, that'll do it. I was watching this with my second kid.
Speaker 2: You know what, though, again was great, but like that moment, think of the moment I keep going to the rock and I don't mean to, but the whole the guy with the knife, you know, you're the rocket man, like I don't listen to that, like, and then the way that the camera's kind of spinning around with them, and just how there's a real tension to that stand the duel or whatever.
Speaker 1: That was just like what do you think I'm a nerd? Like anything? And throws a hammer in his head and he falls over. You know, she should have said something. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: She should have like, you know, put a button on it. Yeah, she could have been like, no, I didn't think you're a nerd. You kind of handsome, a total knockout, like yeah.
Speaker 1: See there you go. That's good. Yeah, see, you gotta be you gotta punch up, you gotta be like the Bruceville Lanche of action movie.
Speaker 2: Bruce I mean, Joss Whedon now is a little no no no. In this era, he would be the guy I love Bruceville. Hey, you and I stood next to him that one night at the Oh that's right, I remember, I was like kind of like holy crabs, Flanche. And we also stand next to the girl played Megan. Remember that, Oh my gosh, Like in that same moment, like we were next to the girl played Meghan and Brucell Lanch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Megan Bruce Lanche and you and me. Yeah, sounds like the cast of a great CW reality show and you and me that's yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're back on the train. We're back on the train, back talking about Broken Arrow.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: When does he do the He's like kind of see, I mean, this is like weird and creepy and whatever. He's like with the gun and it's all kind of creepy sensual or whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying. That's yeah, like add some sort of flavor to.
Speaker 2: Her standoff with the guy, you know, when she gets her big moment she gets to take a guy out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I well, I think that that guy needed to be more of a more of a threat. Yeah yeah, yeah, I think you need to stretch that moment out a little longer, you know.
Speaker 2: But I think it goes to what you said way earlier about the languid thing, Like, I don't think it would if these same moments had a little bit more character to them or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey it's it's Tucco dude. Yes, I just noticed that.
Speaker 2: I had to look him up because I was like, wait, that guy looks so familiar.
Speaker 1: Yep. From Breaking Bad By there Yeah, I do love though.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes you see a movie and it's always so frustrating where someone is like threatened and that guy wants him to do something and then the bad guy kills them anyway.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I love that she is just like, no, like, I'm not gonna do it because you just kill me anyway. So I'm I'm not gonna be the one that hit enter.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought that was like a cool heroic moment for her. You know, I kind of wish Samantha Manthis had more of a career. Yeah, I like, she's another she never stopped working, and I know she had some kind of a uh, you know, high level role in sag or something. But you know, I feel like she she kind of she she was somewhat of a rising star in the early to mid nineties, and then I see fifteen episodes of Billions, so that would be that's pretty big on That's right, And I forgot about that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh and she was in a fern Gully with Christian Slater No, how funny?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Was he the guy? Was he the main guy? Maybe she'sn't lost. Yeah, Now now look at this, the fact that you got this helicopter and they're like hiding behind the slats, dude, of this train. Yes, wooden slats of it. Now I'm no military expert, but I don't think those would be bulletproof, I know, not the best hiding spar You know what I would love right here is if Howie Long was like, screw this, I got a football career to think about, and he jumped off the train and you're like, wait, he's Howie Long. That would be funny and inter bold his characters like athletes. Then then just start shooting his gun again. Why not? This is a pretty cool move. I mean, look at that. That's like a real stunt, Like I jumped out of a helicopter on it, and I actually actually doing something that's pretty cool. That's where I love going back to this stuff. You don't get this anymore. See. I feel like if this train was moving a little faster, it would this whole sequence would feel more intense.
Speaker 2: You know what the problem is, there's nothing to convey speed in the background. It's all flat landscape, like we need like trees or or something whipping past. But I mean, just you can see like how fast the train is going. It does for sure, I mean it does look very that looks yeah, like ten miles an hour or something.
Speaker 1: It's going like yeah, that's what I'm saying, like like twenty maybe that's what I'm saying, like fake it, like have things whipping past so it at least feels faster, Right, That's that's I think. There's a weird, a weird lack of propulsion in a scene that really calls for it. You know, you're so right, Yeah, there's really.
Speaker 2: Like you think of speed, you know, and when he's under the bus and you really get a sense of that thing's going fast and we don't want him going under the wheels. But yeah, you don't get that here.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I'm thinking of just a few months ago, you and I watched The Zoro the Legend of Zorro, and the climax of that movie is set on a train. Yeah, and you get the sense that that's that train is moving. Yep. You know, Oh man, that movie's so good. Which one Mask of Zorro or Legend of Zorros so funny?
Speaker 2: I screw them up because the titles are so like interchangeable, yeah whatever, I mean, They're both have their charms, but like the first one, especially first one one is like, is past Martin campbell Man excellent action director. I'm telling you, so there's something sexual with the gun, right, I'm not the only one reading that.
Speaker 1: Wait what happened again? Just here, I like fires the gun between her legs and she's like and he's like, yeah, that was my first time. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's not just me. I'm not being a weird, skeevy pervert, not at all.
Speaker 2: Actually, when I was reading about the movie today and they were talking about the parallels of him intravolted killing for the first time, and he's like, for the first time. Actually, I didn't even think about that last night when I watched it. I was thinking, like, yeah, pulling a gun off of like a sexy woman and shooting between her legs.
Speaker 1: He was like, my first time. I took it more like sexual. Okay, good, So then we're both skeezy purposes. See so that's right here where Delroy Lindo gets killed there, Like that should have been a bigger thing. The moments that really seems like the theme of this doesn't it weird? Right?
Speaker 2: Like a lot of good ideas and some interesting shots occasionally, but this entire movie could use a little plussing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when he I had to rewind it. I was like, wait, did he just die? Right? Did they kill freshly minted Academy Award nominee Delroy Lindo?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said in nineteen ninety six, and everyone was like what.
Speaker 1: Nothing? Ouch? Oh, this is good. I like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, under the train wheels, that's good. I don't feel like I've seen that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for at least one of these shots, I mean, that's actually Christian Bale at Christopher Slady. Yeah. Uh not Christian Bale, Christian Slater. Uh, dangling under the train. Damn. That's like freaking dangerous.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: That'd be a hard pass from me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean even if you're the stunt guy, it's like I just if one thing goes wrong, yeah, you're going under that wheel.
Speaker 1: Unless you're an insane crazy person like Tom Cruise. That's true, that's true. Yeah, he'd be like, put me closer to the wheel, right Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, it's I can't get it out of my head now, Zachi, You're right about the speed.
Speaker 1: The lack of speed. Yeah, it's like super distracting. It was bugging the crap out of me when I was watching yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hmm, you know, it's funny. I wasn't thinking about it specifically, but I was not fully engaged as I was watching.
Speaker 1: And so it's interesting, you know. Yeah, I think like that, that's pretty good guy flying off with that explosion. That's amazing. Anyway. Yeah, sorry, Uh, music, there's like a lack of music during this whole sequence. M Oh actually I don't remember that. Yeah, I mean like lack of propulsive you know, like yeah, like I'm thinking of the Elfman music at the end of Mission Impossible, the first one, oh Man, Yeah, right, and he's like, you know, it really kind of gets you, gets you wound up. Well, I can't stop.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because I'm like, but I think of Wu as this like really kinetic action director.
Speaker 1: But something about this one is just not well. I think that he he still had to sort of play in the studio box, the mainstream box, right. I think that the success of this movie bought him Face Off, which is much truer to his ethos, you know.
Speaker 2: But it's funny because he hasn't what I exactly what I'm talking about is I'm thinking of the kineticism of Face Off and that's maybe him.
Speaker 1: Unleashed, right, you know, yeah, good point. I mean, shoot, I remember Face Off, just the trailer. I loved watching that trailer again and again, you know, back when it was like hard to watch trailers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but no, I'm thinking, I can't help but think of speed and just I don't know, like there's a little bounce in the camera, just because you know, like everything's like slightly out of control, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just a real sizzle to it all. Yeah, this is not happening here. Yeah, I mean my understanding is is that, you know, the final movie was not something that John MoU was entirely happy with. Interesting just in terms of the usual you know back and forth that happens with studios. But again, you know, at during that era, you know you could have a mid hear action movie performed pretty well. Mm hmm. Yeah, there was room in the marketplace for that. Like I remember this movie coming out and like talking about it with kids at my you know, the cafeteria table, you know. Really yeah, yeah, Oh, I'm going to see Broken Arrow this weekend. You know, like I assume I saw this set of Sleepover at some point. I don't remember seeing it in the theater. I didn't I sleep.
Speaker 2: Over now, it would be too late, I don't know, watching with friends in a basement or something.
Speaker 1: That's yeah my memory. Yeah, it was definitely a rental for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was really into this stuff at that time, Like I was enjoying all these like Michael Bay movies, and.
Speaker 1: Well at the time, we'd only had the one Michael Bay movie, like Bad Boys. Yeah, Bad Boys was the year before this. Yeah, I guess I nineties action speed. Look at this. Oh, he has the best death scream. He's like like, oh, like the whole way down. I don't remember that. I'm gonna say he's dead, Brian, I think how we long might be dead in this.
Speaker 2: They should have had a shark come up for good measure out of the water together. That was a pretty amazing stunt though. That guy jumping on it was crazy.
Speaker 1: That was a real guy falling. I mean that's nuts. Yeah, that's nuts. I do love the the We'll see in a second, the Travolta puppet that gets hit with the rocket. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's amazingly awful. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's always kind of disturbing though when you see that kind of I'm trying to think of something else that I'm thinking of, But like I mean, like True Lies is sort of like it where the guy is attached to the rocket and you just need his body attached to this thing that's about to blow up, or it reminds me I'm having a hard time explaining exactly what this is. But like you see the guy like the rocket in True Lies, and we see his face and he's dangling and he's zooming toward camera. And I'm also thinking of Last Crusade with the Nazi guy in the tank and the tank goes over the edge of his face flying toward camera.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, a perfect example is Timothy Dalton in Rocketeer. Yes, that too, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then in this one, sort of like the rocket hitting him, but we're kind of close on him and seeing this violence happening, like up close to him, Like there's something like really cool and strangely satisfying seeing that happen to a villain. But it's also like upsetting, right, like successfully upsetting you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you understand exactly what I'm saying. That was the perfect example the Timothy Dalton.
Speaker 1: Successfully upsetting. That sounds like a like a rom com in the late nineties starring Christian Bale. Weirdly enough, Christian Slater, damn it right, successfully upsetting, It doesn't It sounds like something I just realized as this fight sequence is happening. I was about to be like, what could that be about, Zachie. It just sort of like just talk about this is they're beating the shit out of you.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like this this business here where she detaches the train cars and then they collide back into one another.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's a good idea, man. There's a lot of smash zooms in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the twenty dollars bill thing is kind of fun. That keeps going back and forth between them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, like you know, it's there's like a whimsy to that, but at some point it's like, Okay, you guys are trying, like and nobody in real life would be doing that. I think, well, I would sort of love if you Travelt.
Speaker 2: It gets you know, blasted off by the rocket and then Slater's like, hey, he spopped me at twenty, and Mathis has to like dig in. He pulls him at twenty and then he like throws it into the wind.
Speaker 1: And she's like what the hell and he hands it to him and then he hands it back. Yeah. There there the there's the bit in the so I like again, I like just going back to what we were saying earlier. I like this final fight between them as as a parallel with the one in the beginning. But again, I think if the one in the beginning was more good natured, it would make this feel more intense mm hmmm mm, because we don't like seeing them like this. We previously saw them as buddy yeah, like like a real betrayal. Yeah, yeah, I agree, good note. But there there's that moment where like Slater has he picks up like the crowbar or something, yeah, to hit him with it, and then he drops it, and I, as I watched it, I was like, oh, good because he's like a good guy. But then I was like, wait a minute, freaking kill him? What are you doing? I know, I know, bad decision. Like I was thinking, I was like, I get it because he's a good like that's a right there, and he's like no, yeah, no, I don't know. Man. If I'm in that position, I use that crowbar.
Speaker 2: I know, I mean I get the boxing parallel happening here. But yeah, we be in this movie five minutes earlier.
Speaker 1: So here we go. Now we're getting some good shots with the train. Yeah, there we go. See this. I like this. This is good. Yeah, definitely like giving her something to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and then the other half of the train about the smash into the Yeah, it's like a perfect thing to jump away from.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah, I'm like QUI because I want to watch it. That's cool, that's cool that leap is this? Yeah, this is great. Maybe think of the fugitive. Oh, here we go, here's your where's the dummy? We get his his like smiling face. I like it. And then this, oh he just like folds an half. This is the most obvious movie dummy I have ever seen. That is funny. I like it, though it's disturbing. Well, that'll do it. This is great.
Speaker 2: I would say about like all these barrels flying everywhere, Like it just looks really dangerous to have an actor right next to that.
Speaker 1: I mean he's probably not like right next to right next to you right.
Speaker 2: Like No, I'm just admiring it, Like, I just love it. It looks great. The production value. I guess and that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, fifty million, right, yeah, I mean it's not like they were spending a ton of money, you know, it's like that's pretty reasonable, we know. It makes me think of the movie Super eight. There's this big.
Speaker 2: Train crash, but none of it feels like it's like really happening because it's a lot of visual effects. I mean, it's it's a really credit where credits do. It's a really exciting sequence because it's mostly about kids trying to dodge things, but it's like the train cards.
Speaker 1: Are moving in ways that don't really make sense.
Speaker 2: But then you think of like The Fugitive where you're like, damn, you know, watching like a real train like blow up and crash like that, and it feels very dangerous, and you know this like this feels like wow, like watching a real train just smashing into itself and all that stuff flying everywhere.
Speaker 1: I don't know, there's just something about it.
Speaker 2: It just feels more dangerous and exciting to me. Yeah, wait, okay, are we going to get the romantic handshake? See back in the day, they would have just started doing it right there, back at what day. And then you said, like like like in the now like before, like in the eighties, if this is an eighties and eighties right, yeah, yeah, yeah, just like inappropriate nudity, just the works.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It would be like like cop cars would show up to like clean up the scene, and they'd go in the back seat of a cop car and then they'd like start going at it. But then someone would be like, hey, what's he doing back there? And then like the one cop would like lean in front of the window to cover it up and exactly police business.
Speaker 1: And then a guitar would be like you need to have like a Billie Idol song or something. Yes, oh boy, broken Arrow, Broken Arrow, Broken Arrow.
Speaker 2: Is a good I don't know, but like you know, there's there's some fun nineties flare happening here, you know.
Speaker 1: I I for me, ultimately, Uh, it's fun to just go through some of these old movies with you, and you know, we can point out the stuff that works for us and some of the stuff that doesn't. I do think, you know. I mean, look, there are certain nineties action movies that have truly transcended that we're still talking about thirty years later. Yeah, you know, you've mentioned a few. There's the Fugitive and speed and the rock even you know, man, you know, I don't think Broken Arrow is in that tier or even the tier directly below. Maybe a few tiers down, sure, but you know, I think within that hour and forty eight minutes you'll get an hour and ten minutes or so of enjoyment. Sure, it's a funny way of putting it. Yeah, yeah, I hear that. But hey, those of you listening, let us know your thoughts about Broken Arrow. You know, mayb maybe you disagree. That's cool, but let's.
Speaker 2: This is kind of a unique one. I feel like for us, we do this, Okay, I mean I just love that. It was like, well, if you got any thoughts on this, that's.
Speaker 1: COOLNA say emails let us know. You know, you can make it a conversation. You can emails it Movie Film Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook Facebook dot com slash movie Let me try that again, Facebook Facebook dot com slash Movie Film Podcast. I have not been drinking. I don't I don't drink. I have no explanation. I'm just drunk on the fumes of whatever. John mout Yeah, there we go. Uh. Hey, we're also on YouTube and if you're watching this or listening to this on YouTube, please make sure you subscribe and hit like. All that stuff helps. Also leave a comment because we also read those. As always, please go to Apple podcastle read, leave a reviewase star rating. Every little bit helps, Hey, Brian. We also have a Patreon page that is right.
Speaker 2: If you head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done and every episode moving forward absolutely ad free. In addition to that, now, starting in twenty twenty six, we are adding additional bonus conversations that didn't make it into our regular episodes as bonus drops over on our Patreon feed. We're doing that around twice a month, so you can.
Speaker 1: Look for those over there.
Speaker 2: Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no ads are interruptions butting into the commentary action as you're trying to follow along with us. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 1: We'd be very grateful. There we go, and with that, if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media and Zachie's Corner. That'sz Akis Corner. You can also find my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle, offside Ign and the rap Brian What About You.
Speaker 2: You can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dot Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: And that wraps up this commentary track as we talked through Broken Arrow. But hey, we'll be back soon with our next commentary track. You never know what might find its way into our you know, our workflow here. It's a mystery, not to us, to everybody listening. Yeah, or the genre. It may not be a mystery, but you know, good good comedy gold. You never know. You never know what's coming. But I'll use that as the opportunity to to bid ado to our listeners in this episode. Thanks everybody, We'll catch you next time.