Speaker 1: Namaste and good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm so privileged to be leading a discussion on the future of India with those that have been deeply engaged with the India story and continue to drive it. Ashini Weshnev Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Minister of Railways, Minister of Electronics and Information. He truly wears many hats at the same time, modernizing its modernizing India's railway, shaping the country's information and broadcasting, and also working on its digital ambitions. Get A Gopinath, Gregory and Anya Coffee, Professor of Economics at Howard. Geta is someone who has shaped global economic thinking on growth and risk from her leadership at the IMF to now at Howard. Sunil Bharti mythel Chairman of Party Enterprises. Sunil Barti Mitil is an entrepreneur who has helped define modern Indian and enterprise.
Speaker 1: Baharti Airtel is a.
Speaker 2: Global communication giant and is responsible for India's mobile revolution. Mister Herrera, CEO and President IR Group, one of Wolf's most recognizable brand. I'm sure all of us here have one piece of Ia at some point in our life. As a CEO of the Itica Group, you're looking at a deeper engagement in India. Welcome all of you. At a time when much of the global economy is grappling with uncertainty, India stands out as a rare bright spot. On Monday, in its World Economic Outlook Report, IMF revised upwards it's estimate for India's economic growth for twenty twenty six from six percent to seven point three. The Fund projected global growth at three point three while describing India as a key growth engine for the world. In fact, many describe India as having a Goldilocks phase, strong growth and moderate inflation. Many projections suggest India could overtake Japan and Germany over the next few years and move into the global top three. But momentum is not destiny. The real question is about timing, execution, and choices and what does India need to do to convert this moment of opportunity into economic transformation.
Speaker 1: I'm going to start with you, minister.
Speaker 2: When you hear this framing, can India become the third largest economy? Do you feel we're asking the wrong question? Should it really be? When will India get there? And if so, how will we get there? What are the two things that will help us, and what are the two things that could halt us.
Speaker 3: India will become the third largest economy in the coming few years itself. It's not a question of will it become it certainly, that's a certainty that will happen. Is a question of within the next few years, we will definitely become the third largest economy. What's working very well is the last decade of very transformational change which has happened in a country, and it's a very well thought through, well defined and very focused execution.
Speaker 4: It's built on four pillars.
Speaker 3: The pillar of public investment in physical, digital and social infra. The pillar of making sure that the entire society grows along with the growth of the country, so very inclusive growth. Third, the pillar of manufacturing and innovation. Fourth the pillar of simplification. All this combined with the base of technology that we have put we can very clearly say that India is going to grow with six to eight percent real growth and a moderate two to four percent inflation and a nominal growth of ten to thirteen percent with ninety five percent confidence interval in the next five years. So that's the kind of growth journey which is there. We can say with a lot of confidence, and what's working very well is that the entire society is seeing the benefit of it. When we look at five hundred forty million new bank accounts opened, when we see one hundred and thirty million toilets getting constructed, when we see eight hundred million people getting ration every month, month after month. That shows that the security of the poorest comes as a priority for our government, for Prime Minister Mordigi, and that has helped us bring two hundred and fifty million people out of poverty. So these two factors are very well thought through growth path, very inclusive growth are going to be very good for our country.
Speaker 4: What's really a.
Speaker 3: Matter of concern on our minds is the global debt which is there in the rich world, the huge amount of debt, the mountains of debt in the rich world. How that debt will unable, What will be the impact We saw yesterday in Japan there was a run on the bonds. So that kind of thing, if it happens on a very large scale, what will be the impact on our country is a matter of concern.
Speaker 4: Otherwise, everything else is in a very good shape.
Speaker 3: That we will become the third largest economy in the coming years.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll talk a little bit later about what other things that you are doing to insulate us.
Speaker 1: But now onto you, Gita.
Speaker 2: Do you agree with that is India's ambition to break into the top three reality?
Speaker 1: What's your view?
Speaker 5: Without a doubt, India will become the third largest economy of the world. It's a matter of a few years unless something catastrophic happens. If you just look at the math in terms of India's growth rate relative to Germany in Japan, it would be very hard to see how India would not get there. And based on current projections, India gets there by twenty twenty eight. Wow, it could be even sooner than that, depending upon how the revision of the GDP numbers happens at the start of this year. I guess pretty relatively soon what happens with the rebasing. So that is not the challenge for India. The challenge for India is not about becoming the third largest economy in the world. The challenge for India is about raising per capita incomes to higher levels. And indeed, you know, I agree with the Minister that substantial reforms have been undertaken the physical infrastructure build out is impressive, The digital infrastructure buildout is impressive. What was done with the Goods and Services tax, including the simplification recently, extremely helpful. So to keep the momentum going and to keep raising per capita income and getting to the nineteen forty seven sorry forty seven goal of bixit parlot, I think that's the challenge and that would require keeping up with the steady pace of reforms to get there. But again, a lot of positive developments in India, and very important is the macro stability that you have in the country, not just with growth where it is, but also with inflation being at the low single digit numbers. That is a good spot for India.
Speaker 2: So you have said earlier that the two things that could hold us back one is land acquisition is a little bit messy deregulation and you have said we've not really used our demographic dividend to its fullest. So what are the things that you think we can do to fix some of those.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think a little bit messy is probably an understatement. It is a tremendous challenge in India to acquire land, to have clean land titles and that easy constrain on growth. It's a constraint on manufacturing. It's again there are states in India that experimenting with techniques that other states can also adopt. I think Entreprenation is doing a good job with finding very creative ways of helping with selling of land, shifting land from being agriculture to commercial land, land titling again, pushing on that is important. Judicial reforms I think are absolutely critical. That is an very important bottleneck for growth in India and it's been there. I think people have seen it as a longstanding challenge, but we're not seeing many changes in that front. In terms of the labor force, You're right, we've been talking about the demographic dividend in India for a long time, but if you look at the contribution of labor to growth in India since the nineteen eighties, only about thirty percent of India's growth has come from labor. So it is a fairly capital intensive production structure that India has because of the rules and regulations that exist in the complications of hiring labor. Now it is a very positive step in terms of implementing the labor laws that were passed by Parliament a few years ago. I think that it's great. The states need to take that and go ahead. You know, raising the number of the limit on the number of workers above which you have to face higher regulation from one hundred to three hundred is good.
Speaker 6: Though if you want to be a part of.
Speaker 5: The big global supply chain, you're going to have to be way more than three hundred in terms of the size of the labor force that you have. So pushing on that front is important. Labor market flexibility is critical. On top of that is the skilling of human capital. I think that is a very important part of the solution too. It's not just about the fact that firms aren't creating jobs. There is a mismatch between where jobs can be created and the skill of the labor force in India's so pushing on that front in terms of the level of education in human capital and skilling super critical.
Speaker 2: Minister, Would you like to come in into any of the comments that Gita has made, anything you'd like to add.
Speaker 3: We follow a model of cooperative federalism where the central government and the state governments we work together to bring out many of the reforms and some of the reforms which are happening in Maharashtra in and Pradesh, in Orisa. Many of these reforms are now becoming the temperate for the states to follow, and the labor reforms implementation is a major major major step GSD simplification, labor reforms, opening the nuclear energy sector to private sector, and reforms in practically every sector. We have two groups of ministers which are working on half the ministries in one group, half the ministries in other group, where we are going down to the procedural reforms, to legal reforms, to every possible reform that we can have. And I'll request all the participants present here in case you feel there is any particular point which is hampering your growth in India, do come out.
Speaker 4: We are here to listen to your problems and solve them.
Speaker 3: We are here to We are here to be the catalyst for your growth in India.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent, mister Methil. You're a pioneer of India's digital revolution. Much of its growth would not have happened without you. You helped build the networks on which we are now growing.
Speaker 1: What do you think is the next thing we can do.
Speaker 2: To tobo our growth and what do you think is leashing us well?
Speaker 7: I think India is generally in a great spot. You already heard that it's a matter of numbers, mathematics.
Speaker 8: We will get there to be number three.
Speaker 7: And if I put a spiritual metaphor around it, I would say it's written in the stars.
Speaker 8: The question is six seven trillion.
Speaker 7: Dollars for one point five or one point six billion people doesn't stack up. So we will get to number three. But we need to get to twenty five thirty trillion dollars. And we can quiver about the year in which we'll get there, but we have to get there, and we will get there. What do we need my tribe, business community needs an enabling environment, need a committed government, needs stable in our situation in the country.
Speaker 8: All that is available now.
Speaker 7: One factor that is coming to challenge our growth that we are currently on is massive competition that has occurred in the world today. US was a huge market for China to grow itself and they use twenty thirty years of that wonderful moment to build their factories, to build their manufacturing bases, going to deep tech, earn a tremendous amount of money to show up the economy. That opportunity is not available for India. So we will have to find our own ways and means. Thankfully, we have a huge market India, the continent of consumers, young people consuming more and more. We will be signing hopefully the EU trade deal very soon. UK is done, Australia has done, New Zealand is done. UA is done many more than the pipeline, but the big one with the US hopefully also gets done soon. We heard from Secretary Leartning this morning. America must bring everything back to manufacturing in America.
Speaker 8: That's a change.
Speaker 7: We need to deal with that new shift in the global sort of trading normes that we'll have to deal with. Give us more backing from the government, give us more freedom. We have a Prime Minister who understands the power of business. He uses the industry and industry players to scale up the country, provide more employment. The PLI scheme that has come out. I never thought during my lifetime India will be a manufacturing destination for electronics or telecom equipment. All that has changed in the last five seven eight years. Just in the last five seven eight years, massive amount of exports of Apple phones.
Speaker 8: And many other products are happening now.
Speaker 7: I remain very very confident that the energy that I see in India and now I work in Europe, I work in France, I work in the UK, and I can tell you we will continue to grow at the rapid clip of six seven eight, hopefully in some years even higher, whereas the world will be settling at half a percent one percent or minus in certain years.
Speaker 8: We have a good future for us.
Speaker 7: What can delail us is only the competitive intensity of the world play now that we need to deal with and that really lies in the hands of the Able government. How they definitely deal with the trade deals.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you mister Herrara.
Speaker 2: You've seen India through many many years and right now with Ia on the ground, from a global CEO's perspective, how does the world view India's group story?
Speaker 9: At first, I have to say that Mars make a disclaimer when talking about India young emotionally biased with India because we live in the family, my wife and their two children for six years and so I call myself Indian ambassador in the business community.
Speaker 1: So unpaid as well.
Speaker 9: It's the best disclaimer made, disclaimman made. Now, of course India, you have to be in India there is well, because it's you know, it's a big market, a jam population. It's also democracy is the English speaking company. But also at the same time India has had this having and will have the possibility to leaf rock from agriculture to the most developed AI much faster than any other company, you know, So we see, of course very positive.
Speaker 8: In the endlessence.
Speaker 2: So, minister you said in the first question, I asked you that one of the pillars is simplification, which is basically deregulation. And many times whoever you speak to, that is one of the concern areas. So can you talk a little bit more about what are you doing to make ease of business happen in India?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, in the last ten years, one thousand, six hundred laws, old antiquated statutes have been removed from the statute book. Can you give a similar example anywhere in the world. One thousand, six hundred laws I've been remote, thirty five thousand compliances have been remote.
Speaker 4: A big exercise is right.
Speaker 3: Now going to reshape the legal structure tuned to modern times because many of the laws were written in a time when the government and the political setup of that period. I'm saying of the early from nineteen fifty to nineteen ninety That was a period when the governments were basically very invert looking. They were very protectionist. They were not looking at the energy of our people. They were trying to control that energy. So all many of those laws are being rewritten now, so that's a major exercise which is going on. Second, many of the procedural things are getting changed.
Speaker 4: Mister Mithiler's witnessed.
Speaker 3: To get a telecom tower permit, it used to take two hundred and seventy days.
Speaker 4: Now it takes seven days.
Speaker 3: To get a railway terminal connected to the railway network, it used to take six years. Now it takes just about two and a half years, two and a half months. So that is the kind of simplification procedural as well as legal is happening in the country. Our entire criminal justice system, which was of eighteen hundred some vintage, so that has now totally been transformed into a new structure. The Telecom Act was of eighteen fifty four vintage. That has been replaced by a brand new twenty twenty three Act. So practically every sector we are trying to bring in a totally new legal framework or totally new procedural framework built on the technology stat that we have.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Gita, I don't know whether you know, but there's a Raji Guawa committee which is looking at deregulation. I want to ask you, is making another committee to get rid of bureaucratic red tape the best way forward?
Speaker 5: Well, I assume that this is not just a committee for its own sake, but the hope is that it's going to come up with actual actionable plans. Yes, absolutely, I mean India needs a lot more deregulation. It is still in terms of ease of doing business, it is still a challenging place to do business. I'd love to hear from you in terms of how what challenges you face. So taking out more and more of the archaic rules that have held back businesses as absolutely critical. But then all other aspects of India will also have to continue in terms of the reforms will have to continue, the ones we talked about on land and labor.
Speaker 6: One of the areas I wanted.
Speaker 5: To point out which we usually don't talk about when you're talking about business development is I want to talk about pollution. Pollution is a challenge in India and if you look at the impact of pollution on the Indian economy. It is far more consequential than any impact of any tariffs.
Speaker 6: That have been put on India so far. If you look at the.
Speaker 5: Annual cost to India's GDP of the level of pollution that you have, and it's not just the effect on economic activity, also the lost and lives.
Speaker 6: I mean, the numbers are really large.
Speaker 5: Based on a World Bank study that was done I think it was published in twenty two, about one point seven million lives are lost every year in India because of pollution. That's eighteen percent of the debts in India. I think even from any international investors' perspective, who's thinking of coming in and putting up a shop in India, if you have to live there and you have the environment is not of the kind that you feel that, okay, this is going to be consequential for your health. It holds you back and obviously not to say about all the Indians that are living in this kind of pollution. So addressing that on a war footing is critical. I mean, this has to be a mission, a top mission for India.
Speaker 1: Along with deregulation. We're putting it in a line with.
Speaker 6: The regulation for India.
Speaker 1: So mister Mithil.
Speaker 2: You work in other countries you just mentioned in Europe and you've been working in US as well. What are the lessons that India can take from there for ease of doing business? You know, what are the things that we can adopt.
Speaker 7: Well, I can say certainly nothing from France the UK. It's much harder, much much harder. Oh my god, Oh my god, it's much harder. And they also have the you know, additional burden of the Brussels bureaucracy which they have to deal with.
Speaker 8: This is just multiple layers there.
Speaker 7: I would say us to the good model where business is really highly encouraged and you know, the ease of doing.
Speaker 8: Business, I would say to the good level.
Speaker 7: And of course they have examples, fine examples in Singapore and you know, EUE, et cetera. But I would echo under a mistress point view here, India has come a long way. I mean, I'm the product of I started in seventy six, so I'm yeah, it's fine. But I am telling you I've seen this plots of books, handbooks, manuals standing outside in digit TD you know, CCI, hundreds of departments getting one license to get something into the country.
Speaker 8: Oh, that is gone.
Speaker 7: Nineteen ninety two or ninety one ninety two was one big wave and I would say in the last ten years a lot has been done.
Speaker 8: Can more be done?
Speaker 7: Yes, we as business community will keep on asking for more. Transfer more faith onto us, have faith we will do the right things.
Speaker 8: We will be more compliant.
Speaker 7: Indian companies have much better governance standards today than they were in the nineties and early two thousand. I think this committee is engaged. I hope, and really I'm confident that this committee is set up for a real reason because the Prime Minister recognizes there is still much more to be done in ease of doing business, and I remain very hopeful something good will come out of this.
Speaker 2: So I'm adding on to the question Geita kind of asked you about doing business in India. Is it easier to do business in India or in China? And what would be your advice to a global CEO coming into India at this moment?
Speaker 9: At the care we are present in many different forces in India. A cares present in the source inside, engaging with many suppliers and not only producing in India for India, producing in India for the global supply chain with export We are present with the retail business where we Acquiredline where we really go fulling with our retail business model and we are present in many cities and we will grow significantly. We are also present from the energy sector. We are a big investor of renewable energy worldwhide we produce double than we consume globally in front renewable and in India we have recently announced investment of solar park in Maharashtra. But also we are present from the digital side, which digital services for the global company. But also we are acquiring also investing in Ai Indian companies, especially in last mile. So we touch many parts of the governments and we attach many part of the different ministries and so on. So on that side doing business in India half full glass?
Speaker 4: What is really good?
Speaker 9: And then what this opportunity to have emptied last and they have full It is true that it's a process of simplification. And then what it is even more important when you face the blocks, you knock the door and you are hurt. One of the I always praise the IAS officials. They are fantastic across the country because they listen to you. You meet them, you discuss and then it's important sometimes since it's a bit more complex, you need to find a way. But they are with you, so they don't ignore you. I think every time we have HASE issues, we sit down. You have to invest in, but you sit down and then you share and then your help. And I see something that I really really recognize from India. What is needed to do more in the future is try to find weaze harmonization with global standards. If I take an example production of formiture, do you know how much in the accounts for the global production of formature in the world one percent? Can we agree that India deserve more than one percent of the global production?
Speaker 8: Of course we agree on that.
Speaker 9: That's why, for example, the new legislation on QCO increasing standards and the equality, we welcome very much the intent. We are really really supporting that India increase the standards of quality because that will help us, for example, to export globally. Then the implementation has to be done in a way that it is done in a smooth way and it doesn't come as a low It comes as a.
Speaker 4: Way to support the supplier as well.
Speaker 9: So it is the implementation which is equally important and for the future, when it comes to our monistration with standard and then advice. Last question is coming from your advice from the CEO. I don't want to be pretending that I know everything, but with the expedien I would say three things. Don't come to India for the short term payback. If you can with short term payback, India doesn't need you can with the really long chain. And we are here for the really long term. We are owned by a foundation. There is no profit that goes to privateher holday. Everything has invested into the business and we have a super long time approach to long term. The second one is that engage, engage with the Indian stakeholder. Engage and in a true in a true partnership and in best time. And the third one try to understand India from inside and not from outside. You cannot come to India with your prejadgement, your biases and to pretend you need to go. I invested a lot of time personally. We didn't take Sultan Company when we set up Retelling India. I personally engage meeting customer on the show floor, customer on the homes meeting, I s official listening. So you can have to really can with a genuine interest of understanding India front within and then since will work.
Speaker 1: That's really good advice.
Speaker 2: But I'm still going to put you on the seat and ask India or China what's easier doing this.
Speaker 9: You know, we are a local company. We need to operate locally. We have to We have to operate all over the world. And then the important thing is not choosing. One other important thing is whenever you go, you have to go with your full set of values as a company. You have to go fulling, and then you have to really find a partnership.
Speaker 8: I often say that.
Speaker 9: We are in the home is the most important place in the world, and we are in the life at home business. It is because of that that we truly believe that we can help many Indian to have a wed that Lighthart home. At the same time, I am saying quite offering India is helping Ika to be better. We are learning massively wrung in there and we ty this learn into a valley.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to take that as India.
Speaker 1: Okay, youre going to come to a little bit on tariffs.
Speaker 2: India currently has one of the highest tariffs imposed by the US to any country, almost fifty percent. How is India insulating its growth story from this?
Speaker 4: We are a very resilient economy.
Speaker 3: The fundamentals macro as well as micro are very strong and that's really helped us through this turbulent period. Our exports have actually increased despite the tariffs. Our producers are finding new markets. We are growing our export sector in multiple ways. For example, electronics exports has now become the third life just exported commodity out of India after of course engineered courts and petroleum products, which was like unbelievable even ten years ago, even five years ago, this was unbelievable. We're trying to expand the market, going to new geographies and also simultaneously we are engaging with many markets, many geographies for good, balanced, healthy, mutually complimentary trade agreements. We have had with UK, we have had with Switzerland and two more countries we have had with the Yui, with Qatar, with Australia, with New Zealand another one is right now in works with Europe. So lots of engagement globally and a fundamental change which has happened in the last ten years is India has emerged as a very trusted value chain partner, not just supply chain partner. A supply chain partner would be manfacturing to your designs, manufacturing to your specs. A value chain partner will be partner to you in the journey of design, in the journey of understanding what the customers need. In the same room three years ago, when we discuss semiconductors, people thought that India will never be able to manufacture semiconductors. And when I say the value chain partner, today, the entire semiconductor industry believes that India is the most important trusted value chain partner. Right, so that feeling that positioning of the country is very important for us in the resilience in managing the turbulence that we see.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ajita, I don't know whether you caught Prime Minister Carney's speech yesterday in Davas he basically declared independence from the American dominated past. I want to ask you the question about dealing with tariffs in that context.
Speaker 5: Saw some of his uh, you know what he said. It was pretty powerful. Indeed, it was a statement about the current global economic order and how that is basically ended and that we have to you know, form new alliances. I think that was a big call to that. First of all, I don't think the movie's over right. I mean, one of the reasons that the tariffs that have been announced so far from the US has not been hugely consequential on the world is because the actual level of tariffs, and I did some resources in this with the co warth the last year there is the actual level of tariffs is a fraction of what the headline numbers and announcements are, right, So the statutory rate is about twenty four percent, the actual rate is about fourteen percent rates because there's so many exemptions and so many car abouts. So every time I hear a number, I'm like, I want to wait and see exactly where something sticks.
Speaker 6: So that's we've made. My first piece is that we just don't know where all of this is headed.
Speaker 5: What I will agree with, and I think that we don't need to wait for, is that we have permanently moved away from the previous last eighty years of the global economic order. It doesn't matter what comes next, but we're not going back to the time when we had completely close to free trade across all countries in the world. I think national security considerations, economic security considerations have become important for good reason, I think, and therefore the pure efficiency based model of we're going to buy from the cheapest source is not going to happen, and more countries are going to be looking inwards and building up their own shop, especially in sectors that are important for their security. So I think that has changed. There is no one west anymore. There never was one east.
Speaker 6: You know, there was always India, there was China, there was there.
Speaker 5: You couldn't talk about a one east, but we used to talk about a one way, which was there was the US and Europe were always together, and that's not there anymore. So I don't think there is a one west either. That doesn't mean there's going to be a whole scale breaking up, but we're not going back. This is a shift that's going to last a long time. And like I said, movies and over, so keep watching.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that the minister said actually that they are looking to do deals with other countries and trying to sort of insulate the impact of tariff. Some people are saying this gunboat capitalism of the US is leading to mega, which is make Earth grade again, versus Marga, which is make America great.
Speaker 1: Again, what do you think about that?
Speaker 5: Okay, So firstly, I do want to mention that what we saw in twenty twenty five was that not just India but China pretty much every country in the world found a different market to sell their goods to, or found a different market through which their goods went back to the US. I honestly don't think that's a sustainable strategy either. So I don't think we're in a space where this can continue and everybody can have very high levels of tariffs and India can upletic six percent tire raid and somehow, you know, India would find new markets to send their goods to. There is going to be retaliation. Europe will retaliate to all the flood of goods coming from China. Other countries will too, maybe India will be concerned about this appoint that made. So it's not a viable strategy. But what is a viable strategy is indeed having more trade agreements with other countries, which India is doing right now, European Union is doing with Latin America, South America, mor Kozour So those kinds of I think, you know, agreements moving on that front is important in terms of you know, making Earth grace Again, are you talking about the fact that we may be moving to something more sustainable.
Speaker 2: Or yes, more sustainable markets not dependent on you know, one country sort of bullying others into them.
Speaker 5: I don't know why that becomes make Earth great, but anyway, I do understand the sustainable part. So I mean, I think a lot of things have taken a bit of a back seat, and sustainability has taken a bit of a back seat. There is an inherent momentum in it that I think will continue in many parts.
Speaker 6: Of the world, including in India. That momentum exists.
Speaker 5: But if you look at what the trajectory could have been if the US was also a part of all of the climate activity, that would have been a much more stronger transition pad. But that said again, I think that you know, trainers left the station. I do think it's not just about sustainability, and it's not just about the environment. For many countries, it's energy security. Instead of having to rely on fossil fuel imports, if you can rely on sunshine in your country.
Speaker 6: And use that to produce energy, it's good.
Speaker 5: For your you know, your economic growth, it's good for job creation. So yeah, so I think that is going that will continue. Among the risks of the planet faces our climate related risks, So that's not going away. You know, there's a lot of distraction right now, but we still have to deal with weather related shocks.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that geta said, and you've mentioned as well, is uncertainty.
Speaker 1: And she's saying you have a headline.
Speaker 2: They say it to particular tariff which she still waits to see. What is the effectiveness you have dealt with uncertainty and very challenging situations. What would be your advice to CEOs in India and around the world that are dealing with this kind of a challenging situation.
Speaker 7: In the end, you know, you have to make yourself stronger to get the best deal.
Speaker 8: I mean, we have seen how China was not be was not.
Speaker 7: Pushed back by the US the way they wanted to, and they quickly backed off. We have to make ourselves big. I think one great advantage that we have is we are a market for everybody in the world. It's one point five billion consuming, hungry young Indians taking more products, more services every day.
Speaker 8: It's also producing for the world.
Speaker 7: Now it will have a tremendous amount of leverage with many other parts of the world to have the right deals. Eighty three percent approximately of the world trade moves away from the US between everybody else. I don't think so she'll ever come to that that you will not trade with the US. But if it becomes completely untenable in terms of tariffs and all that, the world will react and they will find ways. As rightly pointed out, in other markets are the places. What India already needs to do is scale scaleless technologies, scaleless production, get to a point where they have consumer surpluses so they can send to.
Speaker 8: The world like China. That will take some time.
Speaker 7: The good news is that India recognized very earlier on that this is time consuming and capital intensive. You have to build more roads, more ports, more airports, more railways. This would have taken ten, fifteen to twenty years than hundreds of billions of dollars. How did India mitigate this? They quickly recognized. I would say credit to the government and the Prime minister. Get a digital highway in place of world order the best, provide enough energy to fire it, because there's no point having a digital hiveway with no energy. These two things were taken on a priority, very high priority, and on that you dropped a digital stack to connect everybody for banking, for health services, for everything else. This has provided US cushion to wait for the hard infrastructure that is being built up in the manufacturing, in the real hard infrastructure, and you can see year after year after year India is getting stronger. My own belief is eventually India will get a fair deal even from the US.
Speaker 8: I remain confident.
Speaker 2: So how have the tariff tweets affected your assent of doing business in India? Because you source and you have a marketplace as well.
Speaker 9: I know we have a big lowal supply all over the world. And then building and open at the trade is like water. If you close something, the water will find another way. But then the point here is that the point I'm building a unital The point is that I think there is too much noise now on the here and now, on the shortened impact, and we are put in too much energy as a society on.
Speaker 8: Mitigating the pain.
Speaker 9: I strongly agree with you that these are the time, these are defining times. These are the time where you can build a new competitive advantage, where you can live rock as a company as a country. Let's take one example where we are heavily investing and at the same time we are advocating. Is the marriage in between sustainability and affordability. We're investing in circularity and you know, the more you invest there, the more use can secure. A is good for the planet. B is good for the wallet because people, many people today are struggling. So day two of the month, almost the all money is gone is gone.
Speaker 8: So it's good for the people.
Speaker 9: But also it builds independence in the It's not only an energy but on trade.
Speaker 8: What does it take that.
Speaker 9: India produce with a waste that is created in India? Because if you have that approach, you start to depend less on global trade and the same will happen with other countries. So we need to find wing wing opportunity where we really decide not to put the money in mitigating the pain, but putting the money and really live rowing as a competitive advantage. And I think India is one of the country where we can. India has proven Indian impressed me. I was living in India when the other hard care identity got implemented. More than nine hundred million people got it. Over night, the election, nine hundred people vout it in one month with no disruption, doesn't happening in the country. And then the interface payment the demonetization. So India has proven that when things come to whether it can really lift rock significantly. So what does it say that Indiana THERESI opportunity to really be the leader on sustainability and affordability because it comes with these three big benefits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have four minutes and I do want to get into AI, so you will have to keep your answers with short so that I can, you know, give everyone a chance on this. Right now, the AI race seems to be between the US and China. Do you read that correctly or does India have a place in this race.
Speaker 3: India is making very significant progression all the five layers of AI stack. We have already become one of the largest service AI based services provider to the world. Entire ety industry has pivoted from software service to AI based solutions. Are the second layer, the model layer. Our stack of sovereign models is progressing very well. We must understand today that ninety five percent of the work can be done with a small fifty billion parameter model You don't require a trillion parameter model to do the things that you need in your day to day life and in your enterprises. Our focus on semiconductor industry, the third layer is very strong. We are investing seventy billion dollars in the fourth layer, the infrastructure layer, and energy, which is.
Speaker 4: The fifth layer. We have opened it up.
Speaker 3: They opened the entire energy sector, the nuclear energy sector, to private sector so that we can have a sustainable, clean energy for the.
Speaker 1: AI world GITA.
Speaker 2: AI is affecting jobs encoding in call centers, which is very big for India. Do you think we can make this pivot like the minister is suggesting.
Speaker 6: It will take a.
Speaker 5: Directed, conscious effort to make that switch happened.
Speaker 6: It's not going to happen very quickly.
Speaker 5: Indeed, you know business process outsourcing for which India was a big beneficiary of that is going to be impacted by AI. These call centers, as you mentioned, coders encoding in general going to be heavily affected. Now, India does have the plus that it does have a good digital infrastructure which it continues to build on. It has a lot of skilled engineers, an IT sector that supplies the world, so that gives it a good holding, but we're going to have to find ways of coming up with new kinds of jobs. That again comes back to the original point about skilling up the workforce making sure that they are able to benefit from AI in terms of you know, if you look at the statistics about how much is India exposed to it, how much I mean does labor course is exposed to AI, it's about twenty six percent. The average for the world is forty percent. That's just a reflection of the fact that's still a very large number of Indians work in agriculture, right, so that transition has still not happened.
Speaker 6: Productivity in agriculture has.
Speaker 5: Not gone up enough to push people out of agriculture into industry and into services, so that transition is still ongoing. So there is some there is less exposure to AI in that sense for the entire.
Speaker 6: Labor market as a whole.
Speaker 5: But like every country in the world, I think this is going to be an important challenge. India is already capital intensive for the reasons that I mentioned earlier. If we end up with services also becoming capital intensive in India, then there is going to be a problem with enough job creation. And here labor market flexibility is again super important.
Speaker 1: So we just have a few seconds.
Speaker 2: But I want to get into it because you offered perplexity free to your entire mobile network, right, I want to ask you what your view on AI is Because we are offering pervasive access to our market to foreign AI players.
Speaker 1: How do you see that?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think India will find this very frugal ways of getting to AI development side. I think we have the minds, we have the brains and as the Ministry rightly pointed out, there will be new models which will not require trillion dollar commitment but maybe tens of billions of dollars.
Speaker 8: India will do that parallelly. As user of AI, we.
Speaker 7: Have now injected in various form factors in our business. Spam is one billions of messages, billions of calls from protecting our customers from fraud. Our whole network, you know, from design to management is run on AI. Now Agent TAKEI is pervasive all over. Yes, some call centers are getting you know, affected and some different you know jobs will need to be found for those. But as a country, I would say India as well positioned to make good use of AI for its productivity automation and improvement in economy.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm complet out of time. I'm not going to be able to give you the question on AI. I'm going to conclude. I think this has been a very good news session. I think everyone agrees that India is a force for good and it's written in the stars, and I hope that this Goldilock's fairy tale has a happily ever after.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, all of you.
Speaker 4: Thank you