Speaker 1: It's nice side with Ray WBS radiomor right.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody. It is nine oh six. I think it was pretty quick. Uh run down stairs, get a lit glass of water, and you run back up. Okay, as simple as that. We are going to give you an opportunity to talk with a researcher, a dream researcher.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: His name is Kelly Bulkeley. Hopefully doctor Bulkeley. I'm getting that correct tonight. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing good. Yes, that was perfect, Thank you, Yeah, be with you.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Doctor Bulkeley was with us a little over a week ago. He is a psychologist and a dream researcher, and this is an opportunity for us to focus not only upon his general field work in this field, but all So give you an opportunity if you'd like to call in my producer today during we do a little promotional piece every day at four thirty for our program, and my producer, Marita aka Lightning was was mentioning that you were going to be our guest tonight, and she said that she had a recurring dream of zombies, that she was a zombie and very disquieted because she's not a fan of zombie movies. So I guess everybody has those dreams. So let's let's first of all explain to us generally, and we'll get to phone calls. I promise there's a few folks of the line already. You guys will be all set. But how did you get into dream research? You're a psychologist, I understand that. How was it and what drew you to the to the to the whole area of dream research. As I found out the other night when we talked, everybody dreams in some full we would talking the other night. If you recall between that there was some people dreaming in black and white, others dream in color, and you can't remember your dreams unless you're writing down. We'll go over some of that again. But how did you first get involved in this? What drew you to this field?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, well, like many people, my own dreams sort of steered me away from the path of normality and got me very interested in this topic that did lots of people look at, but not everybody sort of tries to bring together all the different strands of research. So I'm actually a psychologist of religion. My graduate school training was in religious studies, the psychology of religion in part because I was interested in dreams and I went to college psychology classes, and you know, it was all about rats and reaction times and behaviorists models of the mind that didn't make a whole lot of sense in relation to the dream experiences that I had that were strange, chasing nightmares and sort of other worldly types of things that were I found more insights in looking at dreams through the history of religions, through the history of philosophy, anthropological studies, as well as modern psychology. So yeah, I try to bring it all together because dreams are complicated and have many, many dimensions of meaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of dreams that I've talked with other people, they will talk about being visited by a relative who had passed, or some people have talked to me about they've had a dream of a pet that had passed. Let me ask you, and you don't have to answer it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm sort of like the lawyer and the judge. I asked the questions. But if you want to invoke the Fifth Amendment and.
Speaker 5: Anything, feel fair?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 2: No what I'm saying. So, you got interested in dream research through religion because you were involved in that. Do you happen to be someone who is religious. There are people who also are not religious who study religions. Do you fall any where? Do you fall on that spectrum moment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not you know, of course, No, no, no, this is my world. Uh no, I'm going to the American Academy Religion Conference on a couple of weeks in San Diego. That's my where I've gone for enviral thirty plus years.
Speaker 6: So no.
Speaker 2: To going by the way, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but no, I'm very interested in religion. I'm not personally religious in a kind of conventional way. I have spiritual beliefs and sort of our relations to the universe and nature in particular and all sorts of things. But but no, I'm fascinated by by religions in human life and how dreams in almost all religions are a primary source of people's experiences and understandings of what the divine is, what happens after we mentioned dreams of you know, friends and family and pets who have passed away and come back in dreams. That's a that's a universal phenomenon, and in most of the world's religions.
Speaker 2: I assume that that phenomenon has they can probably see it or have writings about it, going back millennia. We're not talking about something that, oh yeah, all of a sudden has percolated up in the last fifty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, there's a at the end of Homer's Iliat there's a great example where the where Achilles has a dream of his friend petruk Lass, who's been killed, but then comes back to a to Achilles in a dream and says, hey, you've got to go then to my death. Go out there and you know, kick some kick some trojan booty, and an Achilles gets up and does it, you know. So so yeah, twenty five hundred, I don't know longer than that. That's that's thousands of years ago people were talking about these kinds of dreams and how poignant they are and memorable and intense.
Speaker 2: Okay, what what percentage of people? And again I'm asking questions, and if I ask questions, there is no easy answer. Does everyone dream? Or virtually everyone dream in some form of fashion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: At a kind of brain science level of virtually all humans have the innate neural hardware of the sleep cycle of ram and non rens sleep, we can talk more about that if you like. But familiar with that, Yeah, we do, we do. We typically associate with dreaming. And most people, if you get them in a sleep laboratory, even people say they don't remember their dreams, and if you wake them up in the middle of a rem phase and just say catch them right that moment, they'll probably remember a dream. There is a very small percentage, perhaps one percent or so, of people who seem to truly not have any dream recall and not have any other necessarily psychological problems. So, you know, I don't I don't amasize like, if you don't remember your dreams, that means there's something wrong with you. There's That's the way the case pretty much is the dreamer.
Speaker 2: Yes, they sort of disappear with me. I can wake up and I know I was dreaming about something before I woke up today, and I don't know if it was work related or whatever, but I remember whatever it was, I was conscious and that was kind of interesting. And then fifteen seconds later, now, what was that again? You know it's yeah, they flowed away.
Speaker 3: Well, they have their own way of relating to our waking consciousness. And the thing that we can be sure of is that if there's some important message or something whether our dreams want to let us know about, they can find us. They know right where we are. So I tend to emphasize the not the quantity of dreams that people remember, but the quality of how they reflect on the few do remember, and that they crossed that threshold into waking awareness. There's probably a reason for that.
Speaker 2: Has any work or study been done? I'm a huge uh dog guy loved Okay, sure that every dog that I've only had, really three in my in my life, that they've all they all dream because I'll see them lie there and they're they're they're kind of twitching and and sometimes they're almost talking to themselves. Has there ever been a study under dogs dream?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're they're actually a growing number of studies, uh, showing not just dogs, but but many other kinds of animals. Uh, birds, OCTOPI uh, the mice.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's were were actually and it's it's an interesting philosophical question because if we grant that these other species have dreams, which as a someone who has dogs, I have cats, you know, I hope you don't cut me off here.
Speaker 7: But.
Speaker 2: People, Yeah, yeah, but I love dogs yeah, I mean, I just think of dogs. Cats. Cats to me are a little more.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know. Well, they're all dreamers. They're all dreamers. We you know, we're not to put it this way. Human rought the only dreaming species on this planet.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, now this is good. Of course I know about dogs because you live with dogs. You see dogs, You see him sleeping in the afternoon. Uh And I have no knowledge of whether elephants or rhinoceros is dream because I've never been in the presence of close enough to one of them when they were sleep to see if they if their eyes were flickering or anything like that. Okay, Okay, I just wanted to open up the conversation that way. And we're going to get the phone calls, and you can ask a question, uh and and be happy to take the answer. And if doctor Kelly Bulkeley feels he has to ask you a little bit more about your dream cycle or your pattern, you've got to be honest. Then we'll go from there. The only lines that I have opened, our regular line six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty, are now fold So don't dial those until some of the callers come on and drop off. Our additional line six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty are available as two there and you can jump on board. And I'd like to get probably to about ten callers this hour. I suspect we shouldn't have any problem with it. I see that we have Buck up in Gloucester, Glenn and Brighton and Karen checking in from Wisconsin already. We'll be back on Night Side with my guest. He's a psychologist and a dream researcher, doctor Kelly Bulkeley. Right back back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking with a dream researcher who's a psychologist, doctor Kelly Bulkeley, and we'll get to some phone calls. I could certainly talk about my dreams. My recurring dream is that there's always this one class in law school that I forgot to take, and it's like May fifteenth, and the you got to read an entire law school tone and you got to write a research paper, and you got the weekend, and I have plans for the weekend. I have no idea where that comes from. I was a law student that always tried to things done annotated and ready to go, and I have no idea why that's so buried in my psyche. Any suggestion on that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, these kinds of dreams can provide sort of templates for life long anxiety, for better for worse. I mean, for me, it's often sports streams where like I'm in a game, you know, I'm basketball or baseball or something, and the ball slits out of my hands or I can't run fast enough or something that you know, I think becomes then a metaphor later in life, when long after I've been playing sports, long after you've been in law school, where that is kind of a paradigmatic emotional experience of like, whoa, this is how scary it would be if I really messed this up? And ever after, anytime something similar in life comes along, it's anxiety provoking the unconscious mind kind of goes back there and kind of remembers that, like, well, let's see, how is it as scary as this?
Speaker 2: As this was sort of a touch point, and we also talked the other vent the star in a way, to be honest, it's what it's a scar.
Speaker 3: It's almost like a scar, you could say, like kind of a you know, longtime emotional scar man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think we also talked the other night briefly about airplane dreams. Uh, and you're on a plane and it's it's, it's, it's, it's it's not going well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Is that is that a common dream? Or is that from somebody who has never traveled in a plane before or someone who would travel and had a bad experiences.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, it's uh, it's it's great. And I'm part of a group that's now gathering like a big database of thousands of dreams that are directly about flying from different sources. So it's really a great topic. And and going back in history and cross culturally, there are, for example, Native American groups where people would describe flying dreams long before they knew anything about airplanes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It has to do in an ancient Roman dream interpreter talking about dreams of flying over the city of Rome in like second century a d. So this is something that humans have kind of been fantasizing about presumably forever. The uh many mystical dreams in Islam or flying dreams.
Speaker 2: So if those folks were well ahead of their times, doctor yeah, yeah, yeah, wins You're on a plane and the planes is having trouble finding the airport, and it's flying under bridges and just getting under the bridge, you two feet on each wing, and it's like, can we find it? Can we find somewhere to land?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, Well, like a plane flying is sort of this defiance of gravity and defiance of the bounds that we have in terms of being on the ground, grounded beings for the most part. So what does it take to rise above that? And what hold?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: What? What brings us back down? It's a sort of a metaphor many people find around.
Speaker 2: Fine, let's let's go some of other metaphors that with you. Let me go first off this hour going to go to a long time listener and a great caller, Bucket Gloucester. Buck Welcome here with doctor Kelly Bulkeley. Go right ahead. We're talking about dreams.
Speaker 3: He doctor Bulkeley, you have a fascinating profession, and it's ironic these things you were talking about, because that's exactly what I wanted to share. I love my dreams, okay, and I've always been athletic, but the one recurring dream was that no gravity and I could just jump up and swim through the air. I would always be disappointed when I woke up and realized it was just a dream. But it wasn't mindless swimming through the air, but I propelled myself through the air, and I could, you know, just do anything I wanted purposely. And I don't have those anymore. I'm seventy four years old. I don't know what don't anymore. I'm still athletic. Any insight on that in particular, you already tell ye that it's universal, it goes back before there were airplanes. That's interesting. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, that's that's that's great to hear. And then and and you know, there is something about gravity or its lacking dreams, like what like the the reversive flying dreams are falling dreams, and that's that's many poets. Falling dreams are actually more common, so the dreams when we're liberated from gravity, when we can do these magical things, that's where it becomes this just wonderful metaphor of possibilities. You know, if you can fly where you know you didn't think you could do that in waking life, well what else can you do in waking life that you didn't think you could do? That's often the like the waking up and feeling disappointed. There is a sense like, oh I wish I could really do that. Yeah, yeah, But oftentimes there's a sense like, well, it's it's sort of a reminder of our own inner potential and and you know, may not have them as often, but they're they're they're they're still rattling around in there. I'm sure. Well I like that because I've never had any dreams of falling that I can recall. So thank you very much, just for a great guests, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, thanks, thanks for participating, appreciate the call. Let's keep rolling here. So now we get one line at six one seven, two fast four to ten thirty, and we still get get you in at six one seven, nine three one, ten thirty. We've got to Karen, who's in Wisconsin. Karen, what dreams would you like to ask about?
Speaker 7: Well, rather asking, I'd just like to say that I have always dreamt dreaming before I fell asleep, and they've always been very violent dreams, and you know, dreaming that I'm going to be chased and killed with care.
Speaker 2: Let me I understand that question. You're talking about you having dreams before you fall asleep.
Speaker 7: Yes, they're hypnal gogic and kept no pompic dreams you start dreaming before. I'm sure he has done research.
Speaker 2: Like, let's get let's get him to explain it and then we'll talk about your specific dreams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, this is a this is a phenomenon. It's it's hip. As you just said, Karen, hypnogogic and hip hypnogogic is sort of from from waking into sleeping hypnopompic, from sleeping back out and waking. These sort of thresholds just on the edge of waking and then sleeping. The mind is special things and they can be very brief, but they can be intense. So, uh so, Karen, you're saying that in your these experiences for you, there's sort of a violent encounter right away.
Speaker 7: The pardon, can you just say that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're saying there's some some sort of violent interactions that happens in your list.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry. It was always uh dreaming that I was going to get killed, to the point that I would wake up right before I was being stabbed, and then I always had dreams, beautiful dreams where I'm sore over the ocean like a pelican. And now now I have to take medicine so that because I would dream and you cannot live and dream. I mean you're paralyzed. When you're dreams, you are awake, you could kill someone. So I take medicine so that doesn't happen, but I don't dream anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, let me just make sure, Karen, I want to interpret this. You take medicine that's prescribed by a doctor, so your mind will not be as active when you're in the process of falling asleep or when.
Speaker 7: You're right good, okay, right?
Speaker 3: Is that common, doctor, Yes, there's there's there's many kinds of sort of conditions where sleep can be disrupted by things happening. Either he's said a hidden the god to kidnap pumpic uh phenomenon. That that just starts to sound a little bit like a like a sleep paralysis episode, which is a whole other aspect of of you know, sleep pathology.
Speaker 2: Or I want to I want to talk about that separate, separately from Karen. Karen, I'm kind of coming up at my newscast here, right, that was a very interesting I had never heard of that, so so you have eliminated that. I assume now you can go to sleep without dealing with these sorts of experiences.
Speaker 7: I don't dream anymore, but i'd like to get off the drugs really because because not good when you're old, you know. But maybe I don't need them anymore.
Speaker 2: I would. I would suggest you should talk to you doctor, your doctor. Yeah, no, I'm seriously. Maybe maybe this will prompt you, this conversation that I will prompt you to do that. It's important for you to always tell you your doctor what you're thinking. He may say to you. Know, you've got to stay on Those dreams are that.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that.
Speaker 7: I just thought it was an interestinct phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks very much for bringing that up. I had never heard of it. Karen in Wisconsin.
Speaker 7: Thanks Karen, and I don't dream anymore, and I'm very happy that I don't thank you very much to share that.
Speaker 2: We got a newscast coming up which we have to take and then a couple of commercials. If you'd like to join us, one line at six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty. That is our regular line, the one that's even easier to get through. One is six one, seven, nine, three one, ten thirty. They get you to the same place. If you'd like to talk with doctor Kelly Bulkley, Uh, he is a he's a psychologist and a dream researcher, and any questions you have. I want to talk to you at some point about those paralytic dreams because I've experienced those where you wake up and you think something's going on and you just you're awake, or you think you're awake, but you physically incapacitated, you just can't move exactly. We'll get to those. We got other callers. We'll continue along with doctor Kelly Bulkeley right after this news break and a couple of commercial messages. You're listening to night Side on WBZ and Boston ten thirty and the AM dial coming back right after this.
Speaker 1: Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking about your dreams, talking with psychologists and dream researcher, doctor Kelly Bokeley. I hope the term dream researcher is an appropriate and accurate characterization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so absolutely, that's that's that's my focus. I've been at it for almost forty years now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a more technical term. I didn't. I didn't want to downgrade it, but I want people to understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we come in many varieties. I mean, I'm on the kind of religion and psychology side of things that people who are more neuroscientifically trained, let's say, or you know, experimental psychologist, therapist. But I'm yeah, we're all. We're all doing the same thing, trying and understand what dreams are about.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep rolling. You're going to go to Glenn. Glenn, what type of dreams do you want to talk about? My friend? You are next on nice side with doctor Kelly Fulckly. Go ahead, Glenn.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was raised by religious fanatics because I became an atheist. Buttally, I'm a believer again, but I'm a cultural Christian. I'm not a biblical Christian. Other words, that's good to know.
Speaker 2: How does that affect your dreams? Let's talk dreams.
Speaker 5: I have this scary recurring dream I was telling Rob and thank God I wake up before I hit. I go to heaven and they don't want me. So next thing I know, I'm flying through the air because I'm not holding onto no parachuting. I'm just and I'm going faster and faster and faster. I'm just indefinitely falling. Thank god I wake up. And I do have sleep paralysis a lot too, which I've had that since I was six. I'm seventy one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let's talk about the first one being rejected from heaven.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bad, that's a bad that's a nightmare ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well it's uh. Dreams are very sensitive to our religious and spiritual lives, and and particularly for people who've been raised in a tradition that they later in life don't feel comfortable in and maybe actively have to you know, forcedly, you know, separate themselves from. There can be lingering effects from that, and that's a yeah dream, that's like I imagine there's a lot of guilts that comes with a dream like that, and yet also depending on how one looks at it, it could be a sense of you know, liberation too, like, well that's not you know, they didn't want me. Well maybe you know I don't want them, you know, that's that's you know, I mean, this is this is where it's ultimately up to the dreamer. I guess it's you know, Glenn, I would have to say, like, you know, make sure that you know you always trust your own instinct about these things, because that's that's that's where it ultimately ends.
Speaker 2: How often Glenny experienced this, this recurring.
Speaker 5: Dream at least once a month?
Speaker 2: What's a month? And what kicks it off? Is there something that kicks it off?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I just it starts out nice that you know, Saint Peter says, hi, and you know this, and then somebody will say, you know, somebody one of my weight relatives will say he didn't go to church very often. He shouldn't be. You shouldn't let.
Speaker 2: Him, you know, uh hearing it, it's ugly head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you know something well, you know something Glenn that people often will do with with recurrent like this is though before we're going to sleep at night, they'll think about that dream and think about, you know, if I have that dream again tonight, instead of you know, letting myself fall, I'm gonna I'm gonna grab on, I'm gonna i'm gonna clip you know, I'm gonna tie a rope onto a post and hang on, or I'm gonna jump over the gate, or I'm gonna, you know, think of thinking of how you might react in the dream and any luck.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, when one I got into a brawl like a first It started out as a wrestling and turned into a face flight. I said, I belong here. You're not pushing me out. You're not gonna do to me what you did the last time. Hey, break it up, Break it up.
Speaker 2: Break, try to put a disguise on so you can slip by those nasty rat You out, all right, Dan, that's a good one. Thank you. Thanks for the call, Hope. That helps a little bit, give you a thought to deal with. Let me grab my let's say good night to Glenn. Okay, and we are going to go next to Rick in Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin. Have checked in so far, Rick, Welcome next to On Nightstime with doctor Kelly Bulkeley.
Speaker 3: Go right ahead, Rick, Hi, Hi, Dan, and doctor Kelly.
Speaker 5: How are you. Dan.
Speaker 3: It's been a while since I've called you.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Not a problem you do. Don't have to go to confession. There's no religious aspect to this church on Sunday. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead, Thank you, thank you. I have these crazy dreams and they're so exhausting I wake up. I feel tired from the dream. I've had these dreams where I'm looking for something, going from one place to another, looking and looking, and the dreams seem to last for hours, and then I wake up. I feel exhausted from the dreams, and I I just wondered what you might think about that in search of something it can be. I don't there's no particular item I'm searching for. It's crazy, okay, yeah, well well yeah, and it just just quick like are they in the same settings each time or is it just every different places with that kind of searching quality looking at an item that could be and and then after I wake up, it's hard to remember. That's why I can't relate your call. And I know it's it's bouncing around. It seems that like it lasts for hours, going from one place to another, and they don't make any sense. But it's yeah, yeah, you know, I might think of like, so, so there is something about the brain and dreaming that this is a general way putting, but that that we we that it activates Pickling ren sleep what's called the orienting response, which is basically like if you're thrown into a situation you've never been before, you look around, you try to figure out what's going on, where am I, what's what's happening? And then the ideas that our minds create these these these you know, amazing scenarios. From that point, it sounds like you may be in a place where like you're just kind of orienting, just like where am I looking trying to find? And it makes me wonder if there's some maybe pre sleep relaxation practices. You know, there's uh, you know, sort of breathing exercises, different things people do that, something called yoga ndra that's kind of a pre sleep spiritual practice, different ways that might calm kind of that that that that what sounds like kind of a hyper aroused orienting response. And in the dream worlds, I am under a lot of stress in different areas and yeah, it must even safe into my during uh yeah, I mean having said that too, there's always multiple dimensions to dreams. There's never just one meaning and a dream in which there's sort of this ongoing searching that can also have some spiritual overtones of I'm looking for my path, my purpose, my my my ultimate values. That could be part of part of what's going on too. That sounds very possible.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much for joining us. I think that you've got you've got some insights that you can work with here. So thank you. Great call.
Speaker 3: You're welcome. I have a good evening. Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. Different people have really good questions here tonight. Let me go next to Jan in Worcester back home to Massachusetts. In Worcester, Massachusetts, Jan, what's your question? Doctor Kelly Bulkeley, go right ahead.
Speaker 8: Bye Dan and doctor Bley. How are you listen? I've got two very quick dreams, h Garry, and they haven't quite a bit. One of them is that I'm always in a city and I've driven my car and park it. Then when it comes time to find that thing, i'll never find, never find it.
Speaker 2: I'm with it. I had that same dream, Jim. We must have both lost our.
Speaker 8: Cars, right, So I walk around the city and find strangers who are kind to me and help me to try and give me a ride or something. And that's kind of where it ends, just try and find the car. The other dream is one where it's very enjoyable. I will go in. I'll be in a house for some reason, maybe gonna rent or buy, god, I don't know. An old one usually with many many rooms, and I discover lots of rooms and wondering what I could do with each one of them, and room to room and more rooms, and that comes up quite a bit too.
Speaker 3: Hmm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Let's deal with the Let's deal with the parking one first, because I think some people are going to have that. I had the same situation. I know where I parked my car. I'm in an area that I'm familiar with. It's not like, come in a city that I've never been before, and I know that I parked my car in this block on that side of the street, and I go there and it's not there. But I'm I I know I parked it, but I'm not worried about buying stolem. But I can't find it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well these are these are some of the sort of day to day anxieties of living in the modern world. And and and dreams are actually really accurate reflections of the things that we worry about and feel, you know, different emotional things towards towards the waking world that that shows up in our dream. So at one level, it's as simple as yeah, this is it's a big hassle when you can't find your car in waking life, and our dreams can can reflect that that anxieties, both literally and metaphorically, because cars are often symbols of the self, of our our our individuality in uh, this modern world. When you're in your car, driving your you're in this little you know, sort of metal shell and everyone else is in their metal shells.
Speaker 2: And so try not having a the day that it's in the shop and you say, gee, I wanted to go here, I wanted to go there was so wedded to.
Speaker 3: Our yeah, yeah, very much.
Speaker 2: So those there's situation that has talked about.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: With the house, that's that's a that's many people find that an enjoyable dream, and and psychologists will often interpret that is the house symbolizing the mind, the sort of the inner uh sort of architecture of the psyche. And to discover new rooms is to discover new aspects of the self. And so Carl Jung had a famous dream of a house at many levels and the deeper he went, the farther down into the unconscious he went. And uh, so many psychologists have kind of drawn on that metaphor as a way of thinking about how our minds sort of are are shaped and how we you know, kind of live within our the structure of our minds.
Speaker 8: Wow, thank you very much. It's very interesting.
Speaker 3: Thank you, so thanks very much.
Speaker 2: Have you called my show before? Is this your first time?
Speaker 8: I called you once?
Speaker 3: I believe once, you believe I.
Speaker 2: Think like ten years ago, Jan, because I don't know, no, no.
Speaker 8: This may this might be the first time. I don't know for sure.
Speaker 5: Why don't we do this.
Speaker 2: Let's give Jan a round of applause because if it's a possible first time, we always like to welcome first time callers. We'll look forward to your next call.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Jan, have a great night, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: These are the nights Doctor Buckley, that a lot of times people who listened to the show regularly decide to call. It's interesting, it gets the telephone. We got one more coming up. I get Laurient, Idaho, so we're gonna have Wisconsin, Idaho and Pennsylvania for sure, and I can probably try to get a couple more. Get Peggy as well. Give us a call six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one seven, nine, three one ten thirty. Be right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 9: By the way, at ten o'clock after the ten o'clock News talking with former Boston, New York and Los Angeles Police Commissioner Bill Bratton about security concerns relating to the election of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: That'll cause you some nightmares. Let me go to Laurie, you know in Idaho. Laurie is next here on Nightside. Love to know, Laurie, what sort of dreams you would like to ask my guest, doctor Kelly Bulkeley about. Go right ahead, Laurie, my.
Speaker 6: Dan and doctor. Well, so I have the typical following, you know, But then I actually learned somewhere along the line to tell myself it wasn't gonna hurt when I fail, And then I woke up the that's right. But I do have airplane dreams, and this is a recurring one. I'm on a full sized jetliner and it's got no roof on the fuselage. For whatever reason, I don't there's no access and whatever. I guess it's just the way it was made.
Speaker 5: And so but it is it is.
Speaker 6: We're not above the oxygen situation because we're actually flying through a city below skyscraper level. And it's kind of like yours that we never went under bridges, but around and banking and going around the skyscrapers and stuff. And my seat is the only plane I've only seen the plane that doesn't have a seat belt, and they're always in vivid, vivid color.
Speaker 2: Good luck doctor by Buckley with this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, that sounds like a like a like a action movie or like a like a Disney theme park ride or something. I mean that really sounds uh uh am, I right that it's it's physically you can feel the the the sort of the swerve I think you said swerving or banking again.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I'm afraid of falling out of my seat and falling out of the plane. Everybody else's on my seat doesn't have a seat belt, right right, Well.
Speaker 2: This, Laurie, why pick a seat like that? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Uh huh yeah yeah yeah. And you say color that was in vivid color? Like what can you say anything about the colors or what's what?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Right? Oranges?
Speaker 6: Greens, like the trees that we go by are brilliant green, they're oranges. There are reds super vivid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well this is I mean thank you for sharing this. It's it's it's sort of a testament to the power of the dream imagination that you know, you're lying there asleep in the dark, you know, eyes closed, motionless, and yet hear your body is like you know in the dreams, swooping around and the vivid colors like the you know, the dreaming of mind is really an amazing thing. And and when it goes to the trouble of creating some vivid is this that that's a lot of red to create something a dream death that vivid it it tends to reflect something important in life. And and and I guess I would if it were my dream. This is the way, you know, we'd often talk about dreams. I don't know what it means to you, but if I had a dream like that, I would certainly think, are there areas in my life where I have that kind of feeling of a lot of potential movement, but also a lot of constraints that I've got to find some way to even though it seems are possible, I've got to find some way to navigate my way through. That may or may not relate to your sensitive but that's what comes to mind.
Speaker 2: Laurie. That's I hope that helps a little bit. Okay, thanks Laura, appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try to get at least one, maybe two in here. Let me see what I can do. I'm gonna go next to Danielle in Worcester. Danielle, you were next on nightside. You got to give us your dream quickly because they want to get one more as well. Go ahead, Danielle.
Speaker 4: So I have a couple of you know, I always have those dreams that the person is real, somebody that I know, but they won't be at their house. It'll be somebody else's house, so it's we wake up and you can never remember what they were. So I have those a lot, and I am guilty of not sleeping a lot, so I don't get into rooms sleep a lot, which is terrible. But the other one that really sticks out when I was younger, when I first moved to Worcester out of high school, I had the most vivid, realistic dream of a place I lived with my dad, and my mom for some reason was taking me there to show me something. When we're in the car and as we round the corner, she goes, look and the townhouse that we lived in was just a pile of ashes that had burnt to the ground. And I went, no, and I get out of the car and I went running towards the pile of ashes, and up comes my dad and I went Dad, and I went to hug them, and it was like the movie ghosts, you know, when you arms go through them. And I woke up, and I woke up like sweating piper ventialy and go. So I called him my dad and now I'm nineteen years old, and he answered the four thirty in the morning, and you know, we had home phones back then and on cell phones, and he of course was scared, you know, like startled, but I told him, like, I just had to hear your voice. And my father's theory has always been a few dream of somebody that's donated in your sleep that you're wishing them a healthy life, a long healthy life.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen what doctor Bulkeley says here. You you raised a questions. Quick answer from doctor Bulkley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, well, a lot of these kinds of dreams are expressing in very dramatic form, are feelings a concern for our loved ones. So sometimes they really can be very dramatic. Sometimes there can be a prophetic quality too, so I don't I don't blame me for giving your your dad a call and just checking in on them. That's an amazing dream. Yeah all right, yeah it was so realistic.
Speaker 4: But anyway, thank you.
Speaker 3: That was This is really neat listening to this.
Speaker 4: I've always been into this kind off.
Speaker 5: Well this has been this has.
Speaker 2: Been so thanks Danielle. By the way, this has been so good. I got a bunch of people who aren't going to be able to get in here, So to Dana and Peggy and Gina, I apologize. I have a guest coming up next hour, so I I did my best. But again, this is not the sort of thing you can move through people quickly. Next time, you got to just call a little earlier, folks. I keep reminding people. Then when you wait till the last ten or fifteen minutes, there's no guarantees. So sorry, sorry, sorry, all big thank you to doctor Kelly Bulkeley. This was great. You know what, Let's let's do this again a couple of months from now, because there were a lot of good questions and a lot of interesting experiences, and I thought this was a great hour. Thanks doctor Bulkeley, it exceeded my expectations.
Speaker 3: So great. Yeah, happy have you so they've truly been great questions, a lot of I mean, and things we could talk about for a long time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we'll do it again. And you had a chance to talk to listeners in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Idaho. We do have quite a quite a reach on this on this stage. Thanks so much, best of best of luck. We will talk again. I'd like to have you back. Thank you, doctor balcr.
Speaker 3: Thank you good, appreciate it all right, thanks again.
Speaker 2: And when we get back, we will talk with Bill Bratton, former police commissioner, about Secure and about what's going on in this crazy world of ours. Back after this