Speaker 1: John and I Firms. One of Wetherbe casts tells us today be mostly cloudy with scattered storms possible later this afternoon. They should be leaving the area around sixty m though seventy seven on high Today. It's going to be dry every night, down of sixty two, Partly cloudy tomorrow with a high of eighty four Thursday night, some storms are possible low of sixty eight and a high of eighty five on Friday, with another chance of rain sixty two degrees. Right now, let's hear from hereby traffic conditions from Chuck Ingram Chuck.
Speaker 2: From the UC Health Traffic Center u See Health heyos expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation. Learn more at ucehealth dot com. Northbound seventy five continues to run close to an extra fifteen minutes out of Florence into downtown, then slow again above seventy four to an accident at Town Street. Right hand side southbound seventy one breakwlights continue between Fieldsirdle and Red Bank. Northbound four seventy one is getting better into town coming up next the gang who's probably too humbled to admit it, but rumor has it. Our next guest gave MLB come Miss Manfred, a stern talking to which convinced him to take Pete Rose off the ineligible blist from the Hall of Faith.
Speaker 3: Thank you to the judge.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati loves you, Chuck Ingram on fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey, thirty one five KRCD talk station on the heels of Congress of MESSI making this my favorite hour of radio whenever we get him. Back to back Judge Eddenapolitan and welcome back. And I guess most of Cincinnati is appreciative of your efforts to get Pete Rose.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, you know it's it's very funny. And Ingram couldn't possibly meil on this. And by the way, good morning, Brian's a pleasure to be here. I have been a fan of Pete Rose since I was a kid. I met him many times at Fox and I did talk to Rob Manfred real name MANFREDI to Rob Manfred about this.
Speaker 3: This is about five or six years ago, and he looked at me.
Speaker 4: He said, Ah, the time might come, Judge, the time might come, but I can't do anything about it now. Pete was still alive. I don't take any credit for it, but I take great joy.
Speaker 3: In it that the.
Speaker 4: Sport fans, not only in Cincinnati but everywhere and history will recognize his unparalleled achievements in baseball unparalleled. You know, it's interesting, greater than Demaggio. Now that my father in Heaven book will send a lightning bolt at me for saying this. But the greatest achievement in baseball Pete Rose and his number of.
Speaker 1: Hits unquestionable point. You cannot say he wasn't the greatest. It wasn't one of the absolute all time greats of baseball period in the story. The stats prove it out. I guess I struggle with this one. I always have because as a believer in the rules and in law, as you do, the cardinal rule of baseball is you don't bet on baseball. And he lied through his teeth for years and years insisting that he did not do it.
Speaker 3: When he did.
Speaker 1: I used to work for the defense attorney criminal defense attorney who represented the guy that ultimately blew the whistle on him, a guy that was placing bets on behalf of Pete Rose, who, as a law clerk, I knew advance of everybody that he was doing it, and he kept flying, and this whole concept of him lying year after year year, and then finally, man, yeah, I bet on baseball, but I didn't bet on the Reds. And finally, yeah, I bet on the Reds, but I never bet against him. That moving position in an effort to try to get himself off the permanently band list so he could get into the Baseball Hall of Fame, which isn't guaranteed even though he's been removed. But that to me was the sticking point. You knew the rule going in, you knew what happened to the Black Sox and what happened to those players, and yet you did it anyway.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's not the College of Cardinals. We're not saying that only Mother Teresa can enter.
Speaker 3: The Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: I know. Should they have taken the heavyweight championship away from Muhammad Ali because he dives the draft?
Speaker 3: In my opinion, of course not.
Speaker 1: Well, that isn't a cardinal rule of box though. I mean again, this was a this is a baseball rule. Since the Black Sox events back in the early nineteen hundreds when they threw the series. So you know, you knew.
Speaker 4: That's pretty that's pretty serious. But if crime is harmed, nobody was harmed by what Pete did.
Speaker 1: That I do not have an argument with. And I know I'm probably a minority in this town, most notably, but I've been on record year after year and I've gotten engaged with debates with people over it, So we don't need to dwell on it. You're happy. I'm many people in Cincinnati are extraordinarily happy, and that's aokay with me.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean I was.
Speaker 4: I was at Yankee Stadium when the Reds played the Yankees in the World Series.
Speaker 3: I don't remember what year this was.
Speaker 4: Pete Rose was playing third base Mickey Rivers, who was so fast he could get to first before anybody could throw the ball from third. Pete Rose picks up a little dribbler and shakes the ball at Mickey's face like, I'm so good, Mickey, I'm not even going to throw the ball until you're halfway to first from and he caught him out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some great stories and everybody. I remember the Big Red Machine like it was yesterday because that was the heyday of baseball here in the city of Cincinnati. But I must note they also removed from the permanently banned list all of the Black Sox players too, including Shoeless Jackson or whatever his name was.
Speaker 3: So I saw the Shoeless Joe from Hannibal.
Speaker 1: No, you know it, You know.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Pivoting over. As I always point out, I'm a lucky man for getting a copy of your column ahead of time. It comes out tonight at midnight. What if freedom is suspended? A lot of rhetorical questions built into the column, But I appreciate it because suspension of the riot of habeas corpus is an amazingly serious, serious thing. If you remove habeas corpus, we're all thrown to Franz Kafka's the trial. We could be held without even knowing why we are being held. And that is a profound injustice.
Speaker 3: Correct, It's a profound injustice.
Speaker 4: It's a violation of your natural right to fairness from the government, and it's an express violation of the Constitution. So habeas corpus, for those dwelling on the Latin, is the principle by which anyone detained by the government whether it's for spitting on the sidewalk or a mass murder, can require the party doing the detaining to bring you to court and justify the detention, so you know the charges against you, and so a judge is satisfied that there is it's a real charge, it's not fanciful, and there's serious evidence against you. Without the right to habeas corpus, we're back to the divine right of kings, who would lock up whoever they want, although even these British monarchs are recognized hadeus corpus because it's in Magna Carta which was signed in twelve fifteen. But without habeas corpus, we have that Franz Kafka situation where people can be arrested without trial and just sitting in a jail cell, not knowing what the charges are against them, no independent judge reviewing it. Who and under what circumstances can suspend.
Speaker 3: A price corpus well has.
Speaker 4: Been suspended three times by American presidents, and all three times the court said, wait a minute, only Congress can do it, and only Congress can do it when there's invasion or rebellion.
Speaker 3: That's in the Constitution itself.
Speaker 4: So When Lincoln did it, he was forced to have Congress authorize it. Then he tried to employ it in the North, where there was no invasion or rebellion.
Speaker 3: Then he was assassinated.
Speaker 4: Then the case made its way to the Supreme Court and they invalidated FDR used it to incarcerate Japanese Americans, in one of the lowest points in Supreme Court history.
Speaker 3: The court went along with it. Subsequent courts have reversed that ruling.
Speaker 4: A subsequent Congress condemned it and compensated all the Japanese America Muricans who were detained.
Speaker 3: George W. Bush attempted to do.
Speaker 4: It right after nine to eleven, saying we were invaded. Whereupon the lawyer's challenging this said, your honor, I was in Federal Court in Lower Manhattan on nine to twelve, the day after nine to eleven, so the courts are able to sit Therefore, there was no invasion or rebellion, and the Supreme Court invalidated it. This is very very dangerous talk in a very very dangerous area. If the White House thinks it can do this just to facilitate the removal of unlawfully present persons in the United.
Speaker 3: States, well, this will spread like wildfire.
Speaker 4: This will to transform the country from a democracy to a monarchy if the White House can pick and choose. Because they're saying they can pick and choose, they're saying that they're not going to suspend it for everybody, and they're saying they're only going to suspend it if they don't like the way judges rule. I mean, that is simply a reprehensible attitude which defies, defies the president's obligation to preserve, protect, and defund the Constitution.
Speaker 1: Well, it flies in the face of the purpose of being able to suspend Habeas corpus in the first instance.
Speaker 3: So, but I guess when you.
Speaker 4: Know, Okay, So Congress has defined invasion or rebellion as a state of affairs so calamitous that the courts can't sit. Which is why being in court the day after nine to eleven defeated George W.
Speaker 3: Bush's use of it.
Speaker 4: When FDR suspended Habeas corpus just for Japanese Americans just on the West coast there obviously it was.
Speaker 3: No invasion or rebellion.
Speaker 4: He said he feared an invasion or rebellion, and the court bought that nonsense.
Speaker 1: It was a very low point in America's history. And you know, if they can do it to the Japanese Americans. My father had a dear friend, a golfing buddy his who was a very small child, and he was put in an internment camp because he was of Japanese descent. He was born in America.
Speaker 4: These people were as American as Fdr, as American as apple Pie. Their ancestors came from Japan. It was one of the greatest acts of racism outside of slavery, in American history, and it was done by the hero of the Liberal Democrats, Franklin Donna Roosevelt.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think it boils down to this. If the person is is incarcerated, they have the habeas corpus right they go into court. The government should be able to present evidence on exactly why they got arrested. He's a criminal. We have the evidence. This is why we picked him up and locked him up.
Speaker 3: It's a very simple proceeding. It's taken so seriously. You know, we have this in New Jersey. If you're in the middle of.
Speaker 4: A trial, you stop the trial to review the habeas proceeding because you don't want a person to spend one minute more in jail, then it's.
Speaker 3: Justified under the law.
Speaker 4: You immediately address the habeast proceeding. Now not all judges do that, but most do, and nearly all will do it on the same day that.
Speaker 3: They receive the application.
Speaker 4: If the government knows that there's no habeas corpus, then it knows it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Need evidence in order to arrest. That can arrest whoever the.
Speaker 1: Hell it want was right, and that comes down to the There but for the grace of God go I, which is why I'm one hundred percent on your side on this one, no wavering whatsoever, you got evidence, show it. There's a reason for me to be picked up and locked up. Tell the judge exactly why. And if you can't do that, I shouldn't be in a cell, judge, Editor Politano, appreciate what you do.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the column in advance. I always enjoy reading it, and I always enjoy your conversations each and every week. Oh and by the way, right.
Speaker 3: Back at you, Brian go Pete rose into.
Speaker 1: The Hall of Fame, and I forgot to tell you, Congressman Thomas, And as he did tell me to tell you, he said, hello, So I'm want to get that out.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I love him.
Speaker 4: He is such a defender of the Constitution and very very few others in the Congress are is opposite number also from Kentucky, Senator Ranpaul comes to mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's going to be on the show later this week, so I'll look forward to having him on as well.
Speaker 3: To give you my best home time family.
Speaker 1: Friend, Judge Ennena Palatino until next Wednesday. Have a wonderful week, my friend. Back at you, Brian, Thank you, Thank you. E forty two fifty five. Care see the talk station. Get in touch with but Herbert Motors. They delivered my mower yesterday, completely serviced, looking shiny and brand new. The blaids were just razor sharp because I took the work immediately and cut my grass yesterday as blades went through that grass like a hot knife through butter. What an amazing difference it is when you have your blades sharp and appreciate you butt Herbert Motors and they delivered that more to my doorstep when I bought it. It's an excellent mower. Got a Honda Professional level powered push mower and it's one of the best on the market. That's all they sell the world class brands. Got you John Deere, your ex Mark Steel power equipment, Honda Power equipment sold by a Herbert family member to you. This is fifth generation family and a operator. I know everything is to know about the equipment they sell. They're friendly, the customer service couldn't be better. That's why they've been around for such a long time. And you're not dealing with the box store where they sell garbage. And I'm sold by people who don't care what iota about whether you're happy or not with your experience or the equipment you buy.
Speaker 3: Bought.
Speaker 1: Herbertmotors dot Com is where you find them online. And when you're talking to that Herbert family member, please tell them. Brian said, Hi, the number is five one three five four one thirty two ninety one five one three, five four one thirty two ninety one fifty five car the talk station.
Speaker 3: Did you hear