Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbury Lane. Welcome to a new episode of Full Circle the Podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines for our decidedly queer lens and see what happens. This episode is brought to you by Decanted jug Wine and the Exhaustion of the Ancestors. I'm your host, Charles Tyson Junior, and I'm your host more than Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table. Hi baby, Hi, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm here.
Speaker 1: Word, I'm still here. That which aggravates the shit out of some people, so love it. There we go, Existence as Resistance.
Speaker 2: That part, yeah, live full color and uppity as hail. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to talk about that.
Speaker 3: So what's going on with you? I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 2: I am like as full into my new job is as ever. I'm like supervising up a storm. There you go, making choices and decisions.
Speaker 1: And just managing, which means that I'm so tired all the time.
Speaker 3: I busy.
Speaker 2: It's it's it feels different being busy at work.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, there you go. I'm a fan. Well, good. Good.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at Audrey three, and she needs pruning or something. The giant plant in our dining room. She's outgrowing her space.
Speaker 2: She's into the side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I need yet another piece of bamboo or something, or I need to retie her growth. Autrey is large.
Speaker 2: And in charge, chunky yet funky. Oh wait, that's literce.
Speaker 1: Yeah she's big and healthy.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And if we like untethered her from the bamboo and whatnot, Yeah, she wouldn't be able to fit in this room, or at least not with us.
Speaker 1: No, right, I have to I have to call our friend planty mame and see how one prunes whatever the hell this is.
Speaker 3: Whatever kind of tree this is, I.
Speaker 2: Believe it is referred to as a big ass tree.
Speaker 3: That's a big as tree.
Speaker 1: And there's probably a way to, you know, take clippings and start new plants or something. I just don't know how to do that. But yeah, she needs some downsizing anyway, that's what's up. The plant needs to be made smaller. I'm nursing a cold, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Here the cold that I'm afraid I gave to you.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty anyway. Anyway, that's that's how exciting life is here inside the house. Outside the house, the world is coming mad exactly.
Speaker 2: So it's actually good that our existence is what it is.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there needs to be calm.
Speaker 2: Somewhere somewhere in this month.
Speaker 1: So people died, Yeah, we lost some notable folks.
Speaker 2: James Vanderbeek passed away last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a surprise. He was forty eight.
Speaker 2: I know, well, he had been battling cancer for a while. I remember reading about his health concerns a little while ago. So but still, when he died, I was like, well, damn. He was living with stage three colorectal cancer, announced November of last year. No, I'm sorry November of twenty twenty four, and he battled as long as he could.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He leaves behind six children that I didn't know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was most famously known for Dawson's Creek, which I never watched.
Speaker 1: But I never did either, I know people did.
Speaker 2: It was a beloved show. I was not the demographic for that show.
Speaker 3: No, no, who was.
Speaker 2: I wasn't a teenage white girl.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go, okay. It was a nighttime teen soap opera on the WB Yes from nineteen ninety eight until two thousand and three.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was also in movies like Varsity Blues, Texas Rangers, The Rules of Attraction, a contestant on Dancing with the Stars, Oh, Rules of Attraction twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: He played.
Speaker 2: He played the jock that the Bye main character had a crush on. Okay, okay, I saw something he was in.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well he has gone at forty eight.
Speaker 2: Which is very young.
Speaker 3: No kidding, no kidding. Robert Tuvall, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Robert Duval died the day after Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ninety five years old. One of the greats in terms of acting, for sure, Right, make that distinction, right, The Godfather trilogy, right, or or at least the first two.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Concilieri.
Speaker 2: Concilieri, Yeah, he had.
Speaker 1: He was a conservative, notably a conservative, although it seems he's been quiet about Trump. From from what I've read, he didn't. He didn't have much to say in terms or anything I think to say in terms of Trump. So maybe he parted ways there. I don't know, But I mean, you know, many famous roles, many many famous.
Speaker 2: Roles, right, I mean, he wasn't actively a problem.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'll give him that, But you know of one of Hollywood's leading men, and also very often not the leading man, you know, like the second lead, like he was, you know, right, so he got juicier roles sometimes than the star right, supporting, Yeah, supporting actor quite often the one that.
Speaker 2: Really hit Jesse Jackson.
Speaker 1: Jesse Jackson, Yeah, died at eighty four. It's it's hard to imagine the world without.
Speaker 3: Him, is it.
Speaker 2: Jesse Jackson is another one of those people that was always there my entire.
Speaker 1: Life, right, exactly mine too, you know, I am somebody, you know, the Rainbow Coalition, the Rainbow Coalition.
Speaker 2: He was right there when MLKA was shot.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: For a good long while, especially in the nineties. He and Al Sharpton were synonymous with a swift reaction to racial injustice. Like if you fuck up, Jesse and Al were out front the front of your house with a bullhorn, one or both, right, usually both, it was either Al or Alan.
Speaker 3: Jesse.
Speaker 1: Back in twenty seventeen, he did announce that he had Parkinson's disease.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He picked up the mantle of doctor King and for president twice. Yeah, long before Obama was elected in eight never achieved either the commanding moral stature of doctor King or the ultimate political time of Obama. Through the power of his language and his pre ter natural energy, what does that word meant?
Speaker 2: Like more than human?
Speaker 1: Okay, an ambition. He became a moral and political force in a racially ambiguous era when Jim Crow is still a vivid memory and black political power more an aspiration than a reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesse was a little too fiery for the presidency. I mean, I don't believe that, but you know that appears to be the case. Whereas you know, everyone likes to attribute nonviolence in peace with Martin Luther King, Jesse was like, fuck are you doing basically, except he would never actually say those words.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He gave the Democratic He spoke of the Democratic National Convention in San Francisco in nineteen eighty four. He said, my constituency is the desperate, the damned, the disinherited, the disrespected, and the despised. They are restless and seek relief.
Speaker 2: His was a very powerful voice literally and spiritually for the struggle for the people. And it's crazy to think of the fact that he's not around. You know, he inspired so many powerful movements like Black Lives Matter. You know, was inspired by his work, his words.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, It's just crazy. Yeah, I'm just leaping through his obituary the New York Times. Yeah.
Speaker 1: His early work was, you know, alongside of doctor King in the nineteen sixties or at the same time.
Speaker 3: How about that.
Speaker 2: I just love like he had such uh clear cadence when he spoke. Absolutely, my main focus is clarity and positivity. Yeah, love him, loved him my entire life. He was synonymous with accountability, with having the courage of your convictions, with mobilizing the people, you know, just being a leader.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He has been well known, and his name has been you know, on the lips of many, for good or or not so good, you know, depending right, for decades, for my entire life. Yeah. So yeah, Rest in power, Rest in power, Jessa Jackson.
Speaker 3: Also I've read today. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Isaiah Zegar, Yeah, died at eighty six. He was the founder of Magic Gardens on South Street in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Yes, one of.
Speaker 1: A very famous mosaic muralist.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's actually a very good way of describing mosaic muralist. Yes, it's a very specific and immediately recognizable style, and examples of it are all over Philadelphia. Sure, it's like pieces of intentionally broken and arranged mirror glass and collared glass tile. Yeah, and if you walk around Philadelphia you will see examples of his work. My favorite piece of his work is unfortunately no longer there. It was on the side of the facade of the Painted the original Painted Bride Art Center location in Old City Second.
Speaker 3: And Vine recently torn down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they gentrified the area, took over the building, turned it into a into condos. They are or they are and they they like they were going to just demolish it, but art preservationists like got there and like removed it as painstakingly as they could to keep it intact, to at least preserve it.
Speaker 1: As much as possible. Right, But because that was that was a cool space, iconic and that was his.
Speaker 3: Work, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well known, Yeah, certainly, you know, a approachable public art exactly.
Speaker 2: And the Magic Gardens is definitely the biggest example of his work, I think, on South Street, and that space has been very popular location for decades. People have gotten married there, There've been performances there. It's essentially a museum art attraction.
Speaker 1: So yep, so an icon in Philadelphia. So you had put this article from the Washington Blade. You had flagged it. It's actually from February seventh, so it's it's been out for a couple of weeks for discussion, So I thought it because it's it's neither good news nor nonsense, but it is an interesting piece written by a trans journalist, Isaac why trans suffering is more palatable than transambition. So much of this resonated with me. Yeah, like so much. As I'm reading this article, I'm like, uh huh been there? Uh huh uh huh right, and what did you say?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I was reading the article, the story, and in my head I kept swapping out transperson for black person, and it read the same. You know, basically, it's a lot easier to stomach the existence of people when you can pity them or look at them and go, you're so brave, you know. But once you get to I'm gonna say up aity, Like, once you're in a space where you are working to word success, you have ambition, you have the means and the power to be upwardly mobile. Then you become dangerous. That's when you become like there's skepticism, there's criticism, and it's immediately like, you know, you're reaching too far, too fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought it was really interesting that you made the connection, because I did too as I was reading it. You know, it opens and the current media and political climates. Stories of trans suffering move quickly, stories of trans ambition do not rite. A trans teenager denied healthcare, a trans woman attacked on public transit, a trans man struggling with homelessness. These narratives circulate widely, often accompanied by solemn op eds, viral posts, and carefully worded statements of concern. The pain is real, the coverage is necessary, but there is a quieter pattern beneath it. Trans people are most readily accepted when they are framed as victims, and most resisted when they present themselves as agents with desire, confidence and upward momentum.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And a big part of that is like people view rights as pie and if you get a slice, then that leaves less for them, which is not true.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, sympathy is something you get to bestow, right, right, But if I'm taking up all the space I intend to, oh wait, you're not the one giving it to me. You're not the one, you know, codifying my existence, right, and that does not sit well with a lot of people.
Speaker 3: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: It's like, if I'm not giving you charity, who the fuck are you?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: How dare you right? How dare you think that you belong at my table?
Speaker 3: Right? M h.
Speaker 1: The reason suffering travels more easily is not mysterious. Pain reassures the audience. It positions trans people as recipients of concern rather than participants in competition. A suffering subject does not threaten status hierarchies, they confirm them. Sympathy can be extended without requiring a recalibration of power, space, or expectations. In this framing, acceptance remains conditional and charitable. Yeah, and so much went through my mind. I was I was picturing you know, black men who weren't allowed to have a sexuality actors in you know, for so long, right in Hollywood, Sidney, right, you know, because we couldn't think of them in that regard because that was too threatening, right, And this is true. You know, so often we are just not at the table in so many of the discussions about us, you know, and everyone's not so excited when we're not begging, right, right, when we're not just victims, right, when we have the audacity to live and be happy and insist on joy and autonomy and a voice. Right, Yeah, how about it? Yeah, ambition implies permanence, It implies entitlement. It implies that trans people are not passing through society's margins, but intend to occupy its center alongside everyone else. You can see this discomfort play out in real time. When trans people speak about wanting success rather than safety, the response often shifts. Confidence is scrutinized, Assertiveness is reframed as arrogance, Desire is recoded as delusion. The language changes quickly unstable, narcissistic, out of touch, ungrateful.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was what made me think of how folks look at black people too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. In public discourse, confidence and trans people is frequently treated not as a strength but as a warning sign. Yeah yeah, yeah, that word ungrateful.
Speaker 2: That tends to happen when an individual has received a certain level of success, popularity, access, and they make people happy and smile around them. But if they have an opinion and express that opinion, even if it is a popular opinion, then all of a sudden, oh, you need to just stick to whatever it is that you're here for and be grateful that you're allowed to have that opportunity.
Speaker 1: Success is framed as overcoming transness rather than inhabiting it.
Speaker 3: I don't see color.
Speaker 1: That's in my mind, right right, let's think about that, you know, because you know, success is framed is overcoming race rather than inhabiting it, overcoming blackness rather than in habiting. The narratives are all about otherness. It's all about you know, it's it's another ring of a different name, but it's you know, you're right, it's so interchangeable in so many ways.
Speaker 2: Right like, And while there are a lot more easily identifiable, I guess examples of black power and success, the criticism is just as swift and is exactly the same when a again, you get to uppity and you start expressing your opinions and making criticisms.
Speaker 1: A trans person can be praised for resilience, but rarely for dominance, excellence or command rally gains. Achievement must be softened, contextualized, and made reassuring. This is especially visible and cultural reactions to trans people who refuse modesty, transfigures who express sexual confidence, professional competitiveness, or political authority routinely face backlash that their CIS counterparts do not. They are accused of being too much, of asking for too much space honey, of wanting too much too fast. The underlying anxiety is not about tone. It is about proximity, ambition collapses, the safe distance between observer and observe.
Speaker 2: And that's an interesting point because I was sitting here thinking, like CIS women that own their.
Speaker 1: Sexuality, same thing, Oh women again, this was interchangeable with women, as so much of it.
Speaker 2: That don't get don't are still like villified. Like. The first example that comes to mind is making the Stallion and Cardi B when WAP came out and everyone's in my acting like it was the downfall of society and sodom and Gamore revisited. Meanwhile, all I saw was two artists who were making all the money, doing the same shit men have been doing for decades, except there wasn't a man in the way taking like, taking away the shine and the money. I was living for the.
Speaker 3: Right their existence was.
Speaker 2: I love that so right now?
Speaker 1: Right trans people are encouraged to be grateful rather than oh God, yes, rather than demanding visible rather than powerful, resilient rather than authoritative, even within progressive spaces.
Speaker 3: Yes, lord, there.
Speaker 1: Is often an unspoken expectation that trans people justify their presence through pain rather than through competence or vision. Right, this is not liberation, it is containment.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, when you see a trans person in a place of authority, in particular trans women, in pa articular black trans woman, it's like, y'all shouldn't have to wear your pain and your struggle on your sleeve, because the fact that you were in the spot that you are shows you had to go through some shit to get here.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 2: So just take it as a given and don't fuck with y'all. But you know that's common sense and ship So I already lost people.
Speaker 1: A society that can tolerate trans suffering but recoils at transambition is not offering equality. It is managing discomfort. It is willing to mourn trans deaths but uneasy about transdominance, trans leadership, or transdesire. That does not ask permission. It prefers trans people as evidence of harm rather than as evidence of possibility. Right, Wanting more than survival is not ingratitude. It is the baseline condition citizenship.
Speaker 2: Yes, damn it, Yes, right.
Speaker 1: Powerful peace powerful piece because I've read so much of my own experience in it, you know, of being upity, being told to watch my face, being told to watch my tone, you know, in meetings, being called aggressive because I was assertive because I knew what I was talking about. It was not ever, at least in the workplace, framed charitably, right, mind your face.
Speaker 2: The question is never why are you so fragile that you're shrinking away from a tone?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think my biggest mistake in my previous workplace was I stopped caring about that. I cared very much about my work, very much about my clients, very much about the quality of what I was doing. But I stopped giving a shit that my boss behaved in securely, accused me of things that weren't happening, accused me, you know, tone policing all the time. I stopped paying attention to that because it was unnerving and there was nothing. It was a lose lose situation, you know. So I just focused on my work and not the politics of an insecure woman. And it was my downfall there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you moved in a way that she couldn't begin to do herself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh yeah, And I could see it. You know, I could hear it in the words in the language, and you know, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like she didn't know how to grow to meet you, so she wanted you to shrink to meet her.
Speaker 1: Kind of right, right. She was much more comfortable when she was extending charity to me. Yeah, when she was you know, taking care of me, because there was a time, you know, early in my career where she was just a mentor and a champion. And that changed, you know, And the more competent I became at my job, the more she was looking for any little flaw.
Speaker 3: It was such a.
Speaker 1: Guess, lady experience, the whole thing. But yes, and so much of it resonated in this article, and we're suffering is more palatable, you know. And those are the narratives that you know, I have tried to put aside in the work that I do. And and you know, and let's not twist it. My work is focused with trans people, not so much with SI people, right. You know, y'all are onlookers, but it's focused on you know, really trying to help trans people understand that they have enormous value and there's nothing to apologize.
Speaker 3: For, damn it.
Speaker 1: And they get to take up space, yep. And I think that that's important. I think it's important for us to know that and see that. And it's not always a popular stance. I mean, I see trans people apologizing for existing all the time. Oh honey, you do not speak for all of us, you know, but so much of that, you know. That's why there are those tired old things of like being born in the wrong body. I wasn't born in the wrong body. I was born in this body, right, you know, it's my body. Does it fit society's ideals?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Right now they want to tell me what I am based on biology. And I thought feminism the entire point was that we are more than our biology, right, you know, And and spiritualism and Christianity and all of that says that, you know, we are our souls, not our bodies, not our flesh.
Speaker 3: But we're so much more than that.
Speaker 1: And yet this current narrative among Christian alleged Christians is that we're nothing more than you know, the meat suit, whether it has an any or an audi and that's how that forever determines us. And that is not how this all works at all.
Speaker 2: It doesn't even actually make sense if you think about it.
Speaker 1: It never has it never will, right, you know, That's why I spend time with families. That's why I spend time educating family, you know, parents and loved ones. That's why I spend you know, intimate time with or you know, private time, personal time with trans people to let them know that they matter. Because too many this is the narrative that we live under. And you know, as it keeps escalating, and we're going to see that. We have an article about the Heritage Foundation and their ugly, ugly ugliness because they're getting more and more brazen and open about it to talk about today. But you know, in the face of all of that, our problem, more than that, in some ways are the Democrats, and we're going to talk about that too, you know, the people who are ostensibly on our side, who say, but you probably shouldn't be playing sports, or but you shouldn't really be in that locker room, but maybe the bathroom thing hit, but maybe you should mind your god damn business well, and maybe you're taking little pieces of lies and saying that seems to make sense even though it doesn't right, even though it's not what's true, you know, and we're seeing it all play out with such volume and intensity. You know, the pedophiles are being exposed left, right and sideways, and yet they they're pointing harder and harder at us, like, don't look over here where it's actually happening, where your children are actually unsafe. Right, But trans people, you know.
Speaker 3: What we have?
Speaker 1: We had a I believe, a trans identified shooter. What third one ever?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 1: And we've got folks talk about how trans people shouldn't have guns. Suddenly that's the solution to gun violence. Oh so if we're going by to take away the guns, how many white men need to be disarmed? Thank you? But that was never the answer when it was sis white man.
Speaker 2: I believe the phrase is not as much fun when the rabbit has the gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how about it?
Speaker 1: Anyway? All of that and more in this episode A full circle the podcast. Why don't we take a break on that note and we'll come back with good news.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: How about good news? Yes, lawd Democrats have reintroduced the Trans Bill of Rights in Congress as a moral commitment to trans people. The effort is being led by Senator Ed Markey and Representative Promila Jayapal, Democrat from Washington, who is the parent of a transgender child. Democrats in both the House and Senate have reintroduced the Transgender Bill of Rights, calling on the federal government to codify the rights of transgender and non binary people under the law and ensure their access to medical care, shelter, safety, and economic security. The effort is again being led by those two and they also introduced the trans Bill of Rights back in twenty twenty three. We are laying out a comprehensive vision to provide protections for transgender and non binary people, a vision that ensures that every single person has a chance to thrive. That was a Jayapal a press conference announcing the bill's reintroduction. A vision that says, you are us, you belong, and you are worthy the same rights as everyone else. That'd be nice, right. This bill supports amending the Civil Rights Act to ensure that trans people have the same rights and protections as all other Americans. It creates a level playing field where trans people no longer have to fight tooth and nail to get the same treatment as their cisgender friends. Great, that'd be nice, right. Trans rights are human rights and they must be protected every single day of every single year, and we stand together in solidarity with the trans community and with others, with those who fight for those rights. Yeah, too often left behind by a system that refuses to recognize their humanity.
Speaker 3: This is Marquis.
Speaker 1: We are here today to ensure that every trans and gender diverse person in America can live freely and safely and authentically. That's what the Trans Bill of Rights is all about. That'd be great, really great. Probably doesn't happen until they have a majority, but you know what, thanks for bringing it back up. It also points out several courts have correctly concluded that discrimination against transgender people because of their sex and gender identity violates Title nine, and despite these protections, trans people still face outsized discrimination in every area of life.
Speaker 3: That is true.
Speaker 1: We are louder, we are stronger, and we are not going anywhere. We are in this fight for the long term. You know, well, we're here and we're not going anywhere. You know, like, not going to stop being trance to make it more convenient for y'all. Sorry, it's not going to happen, nor should it. Yeah, so they brought it back up. Good timing. Hopefully they wind up with a majority soon and you know they can actually do something about it. But still, I had to see it being brought back, being talked about, and that's probably where it'll die, but for now, because you know, the ones in charge.
Speaker 3: Aside what gets rotted on.
Speaker 1: Well, this has been an ongoing interesting story about you know, Trump and his you know way overreach, which Republicans suddenly celebrate. They didn't used to. They used to, they used to cry about government overreach and it was always the purview of the Democrats. But you know, now it's I don't know, tough guidness or some shit anyway, in the consistent overreach and obfuscation of what's really good.
Speaker 2: His battle against symbols.
Speaker 1: Yes, his battle against symbols and diversity. Rainbow flags were removed from the Stonewall National Monument and they, uh, there was a defiant re raising ceremony and their right back.
Speaker 2: Up right because why, how the fuck do you think you can do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the monument is right across from the stone Wall in right there at Christopher Street, right off of Sheridan Square, and they tried to take the rainbow flags down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, just like he ordered the slavery monuments taken down in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're going back up too.
Speaker 2: They're going back up because you can't do that.
Speaker 1: Sara here's hoping. Yeah, this is such bullshit and it's such a diversion. O shit, it's nothing but hatred. It's nothing but bullshit.
Speaker 3: It's not like.
Speaker 1: These are the priorities you have for America.
Speaker 2: Right. We can't make the people go away, so we'll make the things that mention the people go away. As if that's the same thing. Yeah, fucking idiot.
Speaker 1: They took it down. Activists and elected officials defied the Trump administration and reinstalled the flag in front of a massive crowd. The flag blew in the wind on a sunny Friday afternoon in February thirteenth, as visitors roamed Christopher Park, snapped pictures of the flagpole and paused to reflect on what had been a whall wind week following the Trump Administration's removal of the Pride flag on February ninth. The calmer atmosphere was a far cry from the frenz you'd seen the day before when activists hoisted the flag and drew roaring cheers from the crowd. Do they not know what happened there?
Speaker 2: For real?
Speaker 1: Do they not know? We know how to make a fuss.
Speaker 2: And by make of fuss we mean cop cars on.
Speaker 1: Fire, yeah exactly, and trash cans, shot glasses as weapons. There were no bricks, people, but shotglasses as weapons yeah, bottles, cans, yeah, anything we can pick up and throw.
Speaker 2: Ugh. The only bricks at Stonewall were the drag queens whose makeups skills weren't up to enough.
Speaker 3: O that was cold. Uh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Trump administration's Department of Interior criticized the reinstallation of the flags, telling Gay City News it was a political stunt. No, bitches, your shit is a political stunt, and of course, their spokesperson did not immediately respond to a question about whether the federal government would keep the flag in place. This can be ongoing, you know, it's it's ridiculous. It is a ridiculous fight that they are not ultimately gonna win. Right, I'm sorry, but.
Speaker 2: Diversion exactly, And it's an obvious diversion.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But you are not gonna find with Christopher Park Nope, you're not.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, we have things like Representative elin Omar saying things like there used to be a time when when pedophiles were put to death, and then Republicans countered that with saying that she's talking about publicly executing the president. She didn't name a name.
Speaker 1: You did that, Yeah, you all just did that.
Speaker 2: But sure, let's go after pride flags.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 1: You all just made that connection on your own.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, uh huh.
Speaker 1: They tell on themselves. They're so consistent, just so stupid.
Speaker 3: Pitch.
Speaker 2: We can see you, We can see you.
Speaker 1: A gay Democrat Clapbard, a GOP opponent, and a special election a gay former New York City council member Eric Baucher. Clawbard his Republican opponent in a recent special election for New York State senator last week and already cast his first vote with eighty eight percent of the counted. He defeated Charlotte Friedman, receiving ninety one point eight percent of the vote to her seven point five Damn yeah. Freedman's campaign website advocates for fighting socialism, eradicating anti Semitism, and ensuring illegal aliens.
Speaker 3: Are removed promptly.
Speaker 1: Tonight, the people of the forty seventh District made a clear choice for progress, integrity, and leadership that shows up I'm deeply grateful to every voter, volunteer, a neighbor who believed that government should work harder for working families. And I'm excited to get to work.
Speaker 2: O RK and E RK.
Speaker 1: What oh oh oh, both versions.
Speaker 3: Of work got it.
Speaker 1: He did represent Manhattan's third City Council District from twenty twenty two until now, and was term limited from running again there. He represents a large career constituency in Chelsea, the West Village, and Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan. Last week, he celebrated casting his first vote as a state lawmaker in favor of the Medical Aid and Dying Act.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 1: We're seeing this more and more. Another New York Democrat, Keith Powers, also dominated a special election for a seat in the New York State Assembly, receiving eighty two point twenty five percent of the vote compared to his Republican opponent, who got sixteen point seventy three percent.
Speaker 2: That's a lot less.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, I mean good, because right now, this is what has to happen. We need to see majorities because they've gone off the rails. You know, they are so out of touch and dangerous and pushing this hateful, hateful project twenty five agenda, and it has to be stopped. If we're going to have a it's got to be stopped.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's another one that made me smile. A Republican governor just vetoed a gop led anti trans bill and it looks like the Republicans and her state legislature won't be able to override her veto ha. Yeah, Kelly Aoit, new Hampshire governor, she vetoed an anti transgender bathroom and sports bill last Friday that Republicans in the state legislature won't likely have enough votes to override.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They sought to.
Speaker 1: Carve out exceptions to the state's twenty eighteen anti discrimination laws, which protect people from discrimination on the basis of gender identity, and ban trans people from accessing any restrooms, locker rooms, prisons, detention centers, and non voluntary treatment centers that match their gender identity. Furthermore, the bill sought to ban trans women from any athletic or sporting event or competitions in which biological males have physical advantages.
Speaker 2: It's like they only know seven words.
Speaker 1: It is, and they weaponize every one of.
Speaker 2: Them, and they barely know those seven words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she had already vetoed a nearly identical bill last year, and she did it again. Good, good bam.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not saying she's not without her problems, because last year she did say. I believe they are important and legitimate privacy and safety concerns raised by biological males using places such as female locker rooms and being placed in female correctional facilities. At the same time, I see that this bill is overly broad and impractical to enforce, potentially creating an exclusionary environment for some of our citizens. Right, So she's halfway there, you know what I mean. Like, she's still but they have a point, which is what too many Democrats are saying. Well, but there's maybe there's something too that. No, it's all based on this. We are not your problem. We will never be a problem, damn it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, anytime a Republican doesn't vote in lockstep and does something that resembles decency, I am more than willing to point it out and celebrate them word so good job.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Kansas Governor Laura Kelly vetoed an anti trans bathroom bounty bill. But I believe that got overridden.
Speaker 2: So I'm guessing bounty didn't refer to toilet paper.
Speaker 1: Yeah it didn't. Yeah, I believe this kind of went through and it's going to wind up with the courts. But at any rate, Yeah, they want a bounty on you know, uh, catching trans people.
Speaker 3: In the bathroom. What could go wrong?
Speaker 1: What could possibly go wrong by offering people money to go inspect Genitalia in a bathroom? What could possibly go wrong by offering them a cash prize for finding the trainees?
Speaker 2: Just because it was your little president's pastime on Epstein Island to exchange money for the opportunity to look into the pants of young people doesn't mean that that's to be done or should be done, and by young people, I mean children. Because the president's a pedophile. Just thought i'd take a minute to, you know, call the president a pedophile, because it's true.
Speaker 3: It is true.
Speaker 1: The new governor of Virginia has given voters a chance to erase their state's anti marriage amendment. She signed legislation that sent several potential state constitutional amendments to voters this past Friday, including a measure that would remove the state's ban on same sex marriage from the state Constitution, which was a passed in two thousand and six. While the state's ban on marriage equality has not been enforced since twenty fifteen, overfeld YEP, advocates for its removal say that it is discriminatory and could be enforced if Oberfeld is ever overturned. We want to make sure that Virginia families know that here in Virginia, it is not just a Supreme Court decision that protects them, but it is also our state constitution.
Speaker 3: Yay. It'll be a big step.
Speaker 1: For Virginia to ensure that every family knows that Virginia is a place that welcomes them, appreciate them, and sees them for the wonderful family and Virginians that they are all right. Indeed, I love it. Yeah, so good stuff. Yeah, let's see. Let's see what happens. Virginia has turned blue all the way around, so let's see what happens with this. You know, in the same week that we saw NYU langone cowardicely cancel their program for trans use, a California state court on Wednesday ordered a San Diego children's hospital to continue providing gender firming hormone therapy and puberty blockers to trans youth for at least one more month, and it gives local families and patients time to find similar care elsewhere. Rady Children's Hospital stopped providing such care on February sixth, in response to this administration's threats to end federal funding to medical institutions that offer gender firming healthcare. And that is why NYU langone lost their.
Speaker 3: Moral compass, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they did stop providing the care on February six but the State of California then sued the hospital, saying it was contractually obligated to provide the care. I agree, yeah, so we'll see what happens. It decided to end trans youth care under pressure from RUMP pledged to block research and educational grants, as well as Medicaid and Medicare reimbursement to institutions that provide gender affirming care to minors.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: California Attorney General Rob Banta sued the hospital, saying it violates illegally binding twenty twenty four contract it agreed to. Therefore, yeah, they were supposed to provide it through twenty thirty four according to the contract. So I guess you know we're going to keep watching it and see what happens. But at least the court stepped in on the right side of things. We're just going to keep watching this shit play out. It's whack themm.
Speaker 2: So it feels like when it comes to children and Donald Trump, there's just two categories, the children he wants to fuck and the children when he wants to kill.
Speaker 3: Yep, thank you, there you go. That's pretty succinct.
Speaker 2: Actually, it doesn't seem to be anything in the middle.
Speaker 1: There doesn't, does there. I thought you would enjoy this next one with bisexuals leading the charge. The US LGBTQ plus population has a doubled since twenty twelve, and we know that that means that there are more people admitting that they are bisexual. Right, roughly double the number of people who admitted it in twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a new Gallop survey revealing over twice as many US adults identify within the alphabet coalition the Eliziahbethequa, the Leisiabtequa compared to twenty twelve. The bit in particular, Yes and bisexual people are of course leading the march on word. They published a report concerning data from a twenty twenty five phone interview survey, which was conducted with over thirteen thousand adults. The latest data film that eighty six percent said they were heterosexual, nine percent said they identified as LEGIBITKUA, five percent did not respond. The vast majority of legiabetequa respondents said they identified as bisexual at fifty eight point six percent, followed by seventeen point four percent self identifying as gay, sixteen percent as trans, and five point eight percent as somewhere else within the umbrella such as queer or pen sexual for example.
Speaker 2: All right, the bee is not ce long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, you know, even with all the rhetoric, we're still.
Speaker 3: Seeing these numbers grow.
Speaker 1: There's a betther one right, it knows sets The overall increase is largely thanks to younger adults being more likely to identify as such, and like I said, the stigma is not the same, particularly among men. I mean, you know, other than the freaks out there who won't wash their ass, right, but you know, twenty three percent of adults below the age of thirty identify within the queer community, and ten percent of adults between thirty and forty nine, with only three percent or less of people fifty and older. You know, we're just seeing it be more accepted despite what you may read online or you know, if you only get your news from Fox.
Speaker 2: I just started laughing because I was thinking about the ridiculousness of the quote unquote street men who think it's gay to wash your ass? And I'm like, do they think that once they get back there, they're going to like it?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: And then next thing, you know, their girlfriends would be like, how are we going through this mini bars of soap in a week?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Why are you walking so funny?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: The same answer to the questions man.
Speaker 1: The report concluded by stating that the percentage will continue to grow as more of Gen Z continues to reach adulthood, as nearly one in four Gen Z adults identifies as something other than heterosexual. It also doesn't account for population data when it comes to minors, and August twenty twenty five survey from UCLA's Williams Institute found that trans use those between thirteen and seventeen make up nearly one quarter of the total trans population in the United States. Yeah, trans kids stone exist, and we're all delusional, right whatever, whatever, let's say.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like this one. Okay, European Parliament votes overwhelmingly for quote, the full recognition of trans women as women.
Speaker 1: I love that when people say waters but right, exactly exactly. The resolutions of non binding is a significant shot at those who seek to erode trans writs on the continent. Okay, so I it was the European Parliament. They voted to adopt a resolution. Yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 1: This is regarding the EU's priorities for negotiations at the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: Thanks, right, thanks, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, you know, anyone willing.
Speaker 2: To act like they have some goddamn sends.
Speaker 3: Right, right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it was an overwhelming majority who said duh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It wasn't even yay or nay or I or nay, it was dug right.
Speaker 1: I mean in my world this is like, yeah, okay, water's wet. But you know, with everything happening in this nation right now, I mean it's radical.
Speaker 3: I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because when you have a whole party going water is not wet, that's not even water. It's a chicken.
Speaker 1: This was just one where it was a sweet story released on Valentine's Day. The Outgate president and CEO of Interface Alliance was utterly blown away by protesters determination during the Minneapolis ICE protests. Paul brand Ice, Rausch and Bush flew in January to Minneapolis with a group of clergy and a show of solidarity against ICE, and he had one big takeaway, Ice will not win there work. Yeah, he said, he was utterly blown away by the determination of those protesting the Trump administration's brutal Operation Metro Surge, which resulted in the deaths of Alex Pretty and Renee Good and in the suffering of countless others. There's a certain grit in the Twin Cities that is not going to give in. They are organized, and they are committed, and there is so much love there. It's all rooted in love, you know. And after six weeks of brutalizing the city that you know, they it was announced that it was coming to an end. Most ICE agents I believe are leaving have left.
Speaker 2: I think now is a good time to point out remember a few episodes ago when I talked about the Kochi app, where you had a live map of ICE activity in your area. I have been putting the download link to that app in the episode Notes of Good every episode since. So I'm just mentioning it again just for our listeners, just putting it out there.
Speaker 3: Well, good stuff.
Speaker 1: From my observance of the folks on the ground there and the way that faith communities are talking about this all across the country is that for us to be effective, it doesn't mean we have to always lead. We can come up alongside of other groups and say how can we support what you are doing and be good partners to you without having to take the limelight or even make the strategy. What FACE groups can do is help with the message and take away the power of religion from the administration to legitimize this in the name of religion, they're putting Bible verses on dhs ads, Bible verses on ice stuff. It's lies, lies, lies, it's you know, perfume on the stench of an oppressive policy, and they're trying to pretend like it doesn't still stink.
Speaker 3: And everybody knows it does. Damn. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I mean it was you know, the summary of this article, it's the response. It's always always look at the response, right, you know, that's where you're going to see love. That's where you're going to see resilience and creativity and artistry and humanity at its best is in the response to bullshit yep. Because all you're going to see from this administration is lies and bullshit. But if you look around at your neighbors, you're going to see beauty and love yep. And that's pretty awesome. So it's time for our favorite segment that we like to call sad.
Speaker 5: Employer, people taking pleasure.
Speaker 3: Yay.
Speaker 2: So, So, a pastor who was linked to Erica Kirk is facing child trafficking charges as online speculation spreads. A pastor affiliated with Erica Kirk's recent public appearances has been charged with multiple counts of child trafficking, prompting online speculation about Kirk's past associations. Authorities have not filed any charges against Kirk, and there is no indication she's under investigation, but multiple online sources suggest that Kirk was previously involved with influential figures who are now under investigation for alleged trafficking activities. Some commentators claim she has cultivated connections with a range of prominent people, including athletes and political figures, which may have enabled her alleged involvement. One post suggested that Kirk was present in a CIA related video in twenty thirteen, adding to speculation that she has had unusual access to elite networks for years. You are the company that you.
Speaker 1: Keep, Oh my god, and this is what they have been accusing us of.
Speaker 5: Uh huh uh huh.
Speaker 1: Reports also indicate that Kirk's parents had occupations that placed her in environments tied to data collection and surveillance, which some whistleblowers argue could have been leveraged to facilitate recruitment or manipulation of victims. While Kirk has denied several of these claims, inconsistencies in her past interviews have led to increased scrutiny over her activities.
Speaker 2: Never trust a white woman with eyes that big.
Speaker 1: She has, of course, denied any wrongdoing. There's currently no evidence linking her to criminal activity, and she's yet to be charged merged with an offense Because money online speculation has circulated regarding her past association's educational background and charitable connections, these claims remain unverified and should not be treated as evidence. Well, yeah, but the company she keeps keeps being shown for what they are from one. A former pastor linked to Harvest Christian Fellowship is facing serious civil allegations in the US, according to multiple reports, and that religious organization is connected to.
Speaker 3: Kirk m h.
Speaker 2: The fact that she has three k's in her name is taling.
Speaker 1: I know, right, It's almost like that's by design, right. The former missionary pastor Paul Hasgard is accused of sexually abusing and trafficking miners at church run homes in Romania.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: The complaints were brought forward by Marian Barboo thirty three, who allege they were abused as children while living in these shelters. They claim Housecarred targeted vulnerable street children, allegedly luring them with promises of food, shelter, and education.
Speaker 3: I have no doubt. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The filings for further alleged that the abuse occurred over several years, and other leaders within the church are also named.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Of course they strongly deny any wrongdoing mm hmm. Because his financial extortion.
Speaker 2: She denies her husband was racist.
Speaker 3: So you know, yeah, I know, I know. Chickens roosting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. All I can say is good. I hope all your ill gotten gains tumble away from your fingertips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm sure it's not the only one she's close to. Yeah, because this is this is where you find the pedophiles. Well, on Masson and clusters. It's easy.
Speaker 2: If you hang around with nothing but evil people, chances are going to uncover some evil.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you follow around Erica Kirk, you're probably much more likely to find a bunch of pedophiles than you are if you follow me.
Speaker 2: Right, thank you, right, thank you, But.
Speaker 3: You know, keep keep doing you. I guess this was in the New York.
Speaker 1: Times demanding support for Trump. The Justice Department struggles to recruit prosecutors. Huh, imagine right, Some offices are so decimated that the Justice Department has sent in military lawyers.
Speaker 3: This is what it was like in his first term.
Speaker 1: Like it got to a place where, like we had no State Department because nobody wanted to be anywhere near it, so we just didn't you know, like like that, right, Well it's happening. And I said this, I said, you know it's gonna happen because anyone who wants a career after this.
Speaker 2: Travesty doesn't want any of this on them.
Speaker 1: Right, any decent human does not want to be a part of this, you know, the sycophants and and and.
Speaker 3: Those with no morals.
Speaker 2: To speak of where the Department of Nope exactly.
Speaker 1: More recently, officials asked for volunteers from other offices who can quickly deploy to places in desperate need. Chad Mazel, a former chief of staff to pambornd Hung an online help wanted signed for federal prosecutors last weekend that perhaps explained why so many valuable Justice Department staff members have left and why so few candidates want in. Assistant US attorneys are not typically recruited, as mister Mizelle sought to do, but a former federal employee who asked and shook candidates to send a private message to his Twitter account, nor have they been asked in the past to prove political or ideological feality. If you are a lawyer, are interested in being an AUSA and support President Trump and anti crime agen dm me, he wrote, He's a Fearstrump supporter who remains close with leaders and senior officials in the this way, he was acting as a private citizen in expressing his own views, but the post reflected the prevailing sentiment inside the Department that Trump has the right to hire only those willing to execute his agenda. It also highlighted the dynamic that appears to be contributing to the very staffing shortages he tried to address. The intermingling of law enforcement and political goals has made the department, along a magnet for platinum legal talent, an unappealing landing spot. According to current and former officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal matters, the number of applications is down significantly from previous years, even as Trump loyalists have publicized vacancies through officials and unconventional channels. Some of those applying are generally not as qualified. Well, no one is qualified in this administration, so the shouldn't surprise as those who sought the position in the recent past.
Speaker 3: A Justice Department.
Speaker 1: Spokesman did not respond to specific questions, but said all of the actions reflected Miss Bondi's memo requiring all employees to zealously advance, protect, and defend the interests of mister Trump in his role as the nation's chief executive. Nothing about our constitution.
Speaker 2: Huh was that again?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So anyway, it's a job nobody wants, and I think that is richly, richly deserved. Yep, yeah, it was only a matter of time. Several federal prosecutors' offices around the country have suffered debilitating losses from firings and resignations, many stemming from efforts by senior department leaders to push career prosecutors into doing mister Trump's bidding. The department's workforce declined by eight percent between November twenty four and November twenty five, according to data from the Office of Personnel Management. US Attorney's offices, the front lines responsible for executing his campaign pledge to crush crime lost fourteen percent of their head count, dropping from eleven thousand, eight sixty three to ten thousand, one fifty four, a staggering one year reduction unlike anything the department has seen in recent memory. Worse still, the departures have hit the upper tier of prosecutors in premier offices the hardest, simply because those with the most experienced were the most likely to have lucrative job prospects on the outside. The crisis has been most acute in offices targeted by the tournatic disruption of White House directives that run counter to the prosecutor ethics and training.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, thank you.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Mister Trump's desire for revenge has caused particular destruction in the U. S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Virginia, where he installed Lindsay Halligan, one of his own former defense lawyers, to prosecute two of his most prominent adversaries, Letitia James, the New York Attorney General and James Comey, the.
Speaker 3: Former BI director.
Speaker 1: The cases led to the firing, a resignation of Miss Halligan's predecessor, Eric S. Siebert, several members of mister Sebert's staff, and even Robert McBride, the veteran prosecutor hired to serve as Miss Halligan's chief deputy. Few offices have been hit quite as hard as the one in Minneapolis, where career prosecutors are bawling out rather than execute the White House's maximalist demands to prosecute protestersocrats. Perhaps the most profound damage came from the department's decision not to investigate the fatal shootings last month of Renee Good and Alex Pretty. Yeah, nobody wants to work, Nope, and that should not come as a surprise.
Speaker 4: But it is a perfect example of sad employer people taking pleasure ring the main Indeed, So do you have a fifteen minute pave this week?
Speaker 3: I do? Okay hit me? Don't you dare?
Speaker 2: So this song has just been stuck in my head for the past couple months. Actually it is it actually is from twenty twenty. It's by Jesse, who is a Korean American rapper in k pop Diva, and the song is called No Nana Okay Yes, and particularly the the I just keep singing like the first line of the of the chorus where she goes no, no, no, which basically means I'm a bad bitch okay.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we're going to uh it's a bop. We're going to go out to the break with No Nana by Jesse and we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: So come with me and no no no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No no.
Speaker 4: Upon give me more, give me month, give me more, give me moth baby.
Speaker 5: Baby up on.
Speaker 1: Di did did.
Speaker 5: One of the message about two months.
Speaker 1: Oh baby, it was a crash, a bad I could give you everything anything, maybe gave you on the l board that time.
Speaker 2: Don't Papa by Bounded. She started nothing talk from boumbie board and on board.
Speaker 5: Crass no no no, no, no, no no, and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back, catchy. Not a lot of lyrics, but I found myself moving to it so that it's fun.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's about quality over quantity.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that was a lot of fun and you know, uplifting, which is good because it is time for the cavalcade of nonsense and we have a lot of it, so we have to Yeah. Well, I mean, we don't have to do anything, right, we ain't gotta do shit.
Speaker 3: But yeah, let's let's wait, shall we. Fine?
Speaker 1: So, unsurprisingly, the UK government covered up a dramatic spike in trans youth suicides, according to a new report how about.
Speaker 2: That I Am shocked and surprising.
Speaker 1: The good Law Project claims that the UK Health Secretary Wes Streetling's department fought to block freedom of information requests for data on trans youth suicides. They appeared to have covered up a dramatic rise in transgender use suicides, according to data obtained by a UK based government accountability nonprofit, the Good Law Project. As Erin in the Morning reported data the nonprofit obtained from the NHS funded National Child mortality database via a Freedom of information request. Sharply contrasts with the government's official report on trans youth suicides in the wake of the twenty twenty bell Vy Tavistock ruling. As they note, following the UK High Court of Justice's initial ruling in Tavistock, which found that miners under sixteen could not legally consent to receive puberty blockers or the treatment of gender dysphoria, the NHS substantially limited access to gender affirming care for minors. Those limits reportedly remained in place even after the Tavistock ruling was overturned in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we know this.
Speaker 1: The UK government commissioned it's twenty twenty four Applebe Report after the Good Law Project reported that two whistleblowers with the Tavistock Gender Clinic alerted the organization to a significant rise in suicides among young people on the NHS wait list for appointments to begin gender affirming care in the wake of the Tavistock case.
Speaker 3: It used to be much easier for kids. You know.
Speaker 1: It wasn't great, but it was a hell of a lot better than it's been. Right. The Applebe report identified only twelve suicide deaths among current or former Gender Identity Development Services patients at that clinic between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty four. Or, However, as Aaron in The Morning notes, the report disregarded young people who were unable to access that care due to long wait times, which now lasts an average of twenty five years.
Speaker 3: What Yeah, you heard me.
Speaker 1: At the same time, good Law Projects submitted a freedom of information request and has only just published the data it received. They can confirm that in twenty twenty one through twenty two, suicides of trans children in England surged to twenty two, a marked increase from five and four the previous two years. Yeah, the organization wrote in a February seven release. This spike follows the decision by NHS England to pull down the shutters on gender affirming healthcare for young trans people following the Tavistock case. In total, the data shows forty six transgender children in the UK died by suicide between twenty nineteen and twenty twenty five, in addition to the nine accounted four between twenty nineteen and twenty one, and the alarming spike to twenty two between twenty one and twenty two. The data also show ten suicide deaths between twenty two and twenty three and according to good Law Project They added that the numbers reported in most recent years will likely be underestimated due to a higher proportion of child death reviews that have not yet been completed. The good Law Projects said it was appalled that the UK Held Secretary commissioned and published a report to reassure the public that there was no significant rise in suicide rates when twenty two children took their own lives in a single year. The Applebee report, they said, deny the reality of trans deaths, as Streating's ban on puberty blockers denied the reality of trans lives.
Speaker 3: I mean soccer. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They fought tooth and now to block the freedom of information requests at any rate to silence those raising the alarm on rising trans citicide as dangerous, while ramping up the policies correlating with the rise in the act of grave moral wickedness. The group said, So, I have a.
Speaker 2: Question going back to when you were talking about the weight time and you said twenty five that so they have to wait twenty five years, that they have to wait until they are twenty five.
Speaker 3: No, they have to wait.
Speaker 1: The weight would take twenty five years if you signed up and waited.
Speaker 3: Fuck. Well, yeah, I mean, and that's my design.
Speaker 1: They closed the gender clinics that they had. This was this happened a while back. I mean when we talked about it, when it was happening, and they said, no, oh no, we're gonna We're just gonna come up with a better plan. Well apparently we never did. The plan is to lie about it. That's the plan, Aaron Reid said. More alarming is what appears to be an explicit attempt to cover up transith suicide deaths. Those who seek to restrict gender affirming care also seek to restrict any information showing those restrictions may lead to harm. Among the far right, claims have emerged that transgender youth are in no danger of suicide from the withdrawal of gender affirming care. But this could not be further from the truth.
Speaker 3: Right how many?
Speaker 1: I mean, Yeah, I'm just and this is what they do.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. When you can't provide evidence to actually support your alleged argument, you just fudge the facts that are actually there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't tell me.
Speaker 1: The left and right are the same, right, correct, don't don't tell me they're the same. The right is now the one restricting our rights, restricting human decency, restricting medically necessary care, and then lying about the results as we tell them. This is why they sneak shit through in the middle of the night whenever they can, like, because they know they have to because right, exactly so they don't have to listen to us time and time and time again.
Speaker 3: Tell them the.
Speaker 1: Truth, right, because ideology has blinded in the States, an entire political party. But obviously in the UK we've got very similar problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's almost like bigots or bigots, no matter what the accent.
Speaker 3: How about it truth? Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: Lying shocks I know, it's shocking, right because they don't want to take and this is just it. If this was only about science and common sense, like they keep trying to say, then the numbers wouldn't.
Speaker 3: There would be no uptech would right.
Speaker 1: See, we just let the children be free, and they got they got over it. This doesn't go away, people, right, it doesn't go away. Trans people are trans people. They know they're trans people. Trans children exist. I was one I knew, right, and so did everyone around me, regardless of your feelings, regardless of your beliefs. Yeah, and I would have done anything to get puberty blockers anything I know. Yeah, so at least own the results because you want us dead. So why aren't you celebrating the numbers. Yeah, we're killing more children, more trans kids. We don't want them to exist anyway. Just be honest about your bullshit.
Speaker 3: Let's move on.
Speaker 2: Us.
Speaker 1: Gay bars are closing their doors at a heartbreaking pace.
Speaker 3: This has been going on.
Speaker 2: I say this almost isn't news, but.
Speaker 1: It is apparently. Let's say, in the last few years, it's only gotten worse. Higher upfront costs combined with lower foot traffic have cast a nationwide problem for all of the service and food industries.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say this sounds like a not just a gay bar, but it is exacerbated in queer spaces, which deal with smaller demographics than the average bar or restaurant.
Speaker 1: There's a demographic change. Younger people don't go out or have a third space anymore. Right, It's hard to say whether anything can economy prove the gay bar. In the past year alone, the US has seen closures of long running queer spaces, such as the Bay Area's Gingers, which was open for forty seven years, or Rochester, New York's Avenue Pub, which just inched past five decades of serving queer people. New businesses aren't exactly faring better, with bars such as Michigan's General Wood Shop and Brooklyn's Club Lambda having opened and closed within the span of just a couple of years. In some cases, a bar's public frankness about its financial difficulties can prompt a community response that allows it to stay open. In the last few years, many struggling spaces have turned to sites such as GoFundMe to make ends meet, keep creditors at bay, and continue to sling food, drink, and community to its underserved patrons. Efforts like this saved East Nashville's Lipstick Lounge, DC's As You Are, and there are organizations such as the Lesbian Bar Project looking to not only document career history but keep these spaces viprint.
Speaker 2: I mean we've said how many times how the apps have almost made gay bars obsolete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the apps I think were the first and biggest blow.
Speaker 3: Meaning, you know, when I was a youngster, men who had sex with men.
Speaker 1: Regardless of marital status or whether how they presented pretty much had to go to bars. They had to go to gay bars to meet other men.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: Other than that, there was like the personal ads, which I don't think was really a thing, you know what I mean, not much and talk.
Speaker 2: About slow, right, but that was snail mail, right, But.
Speaker 1: You know they would go to the bars and the bars were packed, right anymore, you know, I encountered. But yeah, once we had things like and I guess it started with what craigslist, you know, once you had the Internet and people had figured out how to hook up on the Internet and not need to go to those spaces where they didn't really belong, right, I mean right, they were just there to you know, get their freak on. But that hurt business a lot, you know, and times are changing and you know we've drunk driving and all of those things as well, but that was a big one, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because gay bars historically have been a place for gay people queer people to meet up with other queer people for the two prong of finding sexual partners and community. And you have the apps and then you know, we're a lot more mainstream, so there's plenty of other places to meet other queer people. Sober spaces even that don't involve drinking and going to a bar, like there's softball leagues and shit.
Speaker 1: So right, Yeah, there are so many bars listed in this article. I'm reading from them about all the bars that have closed across the United States, and there's.
Speaker 3: A lot of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of them. This is a pretty comprehensive article. I think we should link to it just to you know, not belabor it here.
Speaker 2: Well also to give people, you know, a place to look and go, oh, I need to support this place. Yeah, yeah, because you know, gay bars are not just that too prong. The fact that it's a bar gives it a certain edge that lends itself to activism and creativity and and like take for instance, the venture in Like that was for me, and I've said this many times, that was my place to experience both queer history and up to the moment, queer pop culture at the same time. In the same place, you're seeing these like edgy performers as well as as more like old school classic performers.
Speaker 1: Well in generations of gay bar employees.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's what I'm saying, right, And that's something that is unique I think to the setting of a gay bar. Sure like, you can get components of that in other places, but you're not going to get all of that in the same place the way you will at a gay bar, especially when it's been around for any length of time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we.
Speaker 2: The phrase now is we're losing the recipe, you know, And that's that's going on in the queer community. We're kind of losing the recipe of like the fundamental thing that makes us us, you know, that whole the edginess, the community, the raw rottiness, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, that's why some of us are trying to create different third spaces and different kinds of you know. I mean, the dinner that we host monthly is a sober space because there aren't enough.
Speaker 2: Of them, right, And they're also necessary and vital and wonderful.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying, you know, it used to be that all we had were the bars, right and you know, somewhere better than others that, you know, being part of the community and all of that. But it's just times have changed. The perceived need for community, I think has changed greatly. I think it's still incredibly important, everyone doesn't, you know, everyone does, and so many people have an online community now, right, and even organizing is not done by let's all meet over at the venture. It's let's all you know, they we have group chats and what's happened all those things, So a lot is done virtually now, I think, Yeah, but you know, you can send and let's talk about the cost of real estate and rents being astronomical, and this is also true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, multiple things can be true at the same time.
Speaker 1: I mean, we had a bar in a reasonably priced neighborhood that we didn't really overpay for and still could not make a dime.
Speaker 2: And I was gonna say, and that's just the bar business period. That had nothing to do with queerness. I mean, hmm, our personal, unique circumstances, notwithstanding.
Speaker 1: Right, it wasn't it was never supposed to be at gay bar. It's a whole that's a whole, right conversation. But yeah, a lot of speculation about it, like why is it happened? But it is happening, you know, more and more in these places again, some have opened and closed and some really long standing bars. And you know, we've talked to a few friends in Philadelphia who are bar owners who are just hanging on. So, yeah, this is a it's a problem.
Speaker 2: And let's not even get into like women owned and run in populated spaces, Like you know, we've got a couple of new ones that have just opened in our opening and I'm like, wrap them in bubble wrap because we need them to you know.
Speaker 1: And and part of it is that you've got a lot of queers who just don't think it's necessary. You know, they can go anywhere they think, you know, it's not like it used to be.
Speaker 2: But it See, the first thing that comes to my mind is when the cis White Gaze could get married, then all of a sudden, the struggle was over. That's that's what I heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: The struggle is not over.
Speaker 3: Of course, the struggle is not over.
Speaker 2: It is not over.
Speaker 1: It is sad, you know, we're institutions are closing, new places are closing, and no one has a solution to this. So that's kind of what the article is about. But I think we should link to it because there's a lot of spaces that are going and go on, right and I think it's the trend and it's very sad. It is sad, you know, we're even seeing it with the cup What do we have left? One restaurant maybe two, and they're seeing a real downturn. So and it's almost like queers are not supporting queer spaces that part, because I don't know, either they count themselves among the majority where they don't see the value, or they're happily going to you know, mixed or straight spaces.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, you know, it all plays a part.
Speaker 1: And I think the industry is different, I do, yeah, and it changes all the time. But I mean we found out, you know, and so we kind of came in on the cusp of things really changing for corner bars. And that was twenty fifteen, So we're talking eleven years ago, and there's been steady change and COVID certainly changed a lot of.
Speaker 3: The way we go out. Yeah, you know, how often we go out, how late we go.
Speaker 1: Out, where we go out to, what kinds of things we go out to, Sure's, And I think it's changed kind of, you know, across the board.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because like I was looking at and I was going through my Facebook memories the other day and I had posted this a couple of years ago. This had to have been still during COVID because we had we had only been in this house for a little bit, and I was watching the movie Beach Street and it was the scene was the big Christmas party, and I'm looking at the scene, like the dance floor and all the people in the club on this dance floor, and I was like, this kind of image gives me like a couple of different feelings. One, it gives me anxiety because I'm like, you know, all these people in one space, Oh my god. And then at the same time, it's like it's kind of sad because like we can never.
Speaker 3: Have that again, and we may not, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like there was a time I'd have been one of those people. I've been a dot in the middle of all those dots, and now the idea just makes me queers. Like right, well, that's also as I've gotten older, me and my threshold for other people has gotten lower.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but you know, and we've talked about this, and I think it's more than tangentially related to the right what I'm looking for, you know, p Flag. Before I got involved, our my mentor and friend Don Monroe, was very heavily involved in Philadelphia and she would talk to me about how you know they split into two groups, right, the parents of the queer kids or queer people, and the parents of the trans people. Right, two distinct groups. And then we found out later that, you know, the group that we are involved in did the same thing, right, And now you know, in twenty twenty six, overwhelmingly these are parents, family members, spouses, loved ones of trans people. Very you know, it's it's almost rare that it's a queer person, right that they're trying to accept or understand. Right, It's almost like, oh, thank god, you're gay, that we can deal with.
Speaker 3: You know, you're fine.
Speaker 2: I know when whenever someone is talking about someone who just came out as gay, in my head, I'm like, how quaint? Right.
Speaker 1: Well, but here's the thing, And I think part of that is, you know, all the talk about trans people and drag queens, and if you're not doing one of those things, you know, you're you're fine, you think think again, you're next. So but at any rate, I think that that's part of it, you know, and you know a lot of gays are just like I don't need that, right, I can go wherever I want to go. Okay, yeah, right now, you can, but once our spaces are all gone, we'll see how this pans out. M So let's talk about Indiana. Okay, Yeah, they quietly banned trans residents from changing gender markers on their ideas they will no longer accept court orders or medical documentations recognizing trans residents gender changes.
Speaker 3: The fuck.
Speaker 1: The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles has quietly banned residents from changing their gender markers on state identification documents. Yeah, they added a small notice on their website about a week ago stating that it will no longer accept court orders or medical documentations recognizing trends gender residents gender changes. The will gets into effect February twelve, so it's in effect now, giving those impacted less than three days to act.
Speaker 2: LGBTQ plus advocacy organization Indiana Youth Group said in a statement, denying people the ability to update the gender marker on their identification is not only discriminatory, it is dangerous. It is in an increasingly hostile climate. Mismatched identification can expose individuals to harassment, threats, and violence. It can also create serious barriers to employment, housing, and access to essential services. Exactly the rule had been proposed twice before, once in July and again in November, but was met with are from Hoosiers in Indiana who submitted thousands of emails and public testimonies against it. The policy was withdrawn each time, only to be enacted this week without comment.
Speaker 1: So, no matter what all the citizens of Indiana have to say about it, they did it anyway, right, What the hell? Only three states Florida, Tennessee, and Texas, completely prohibit residents from updating their gender markers on state ideas, according to the Movement Advancement Project. Ten other states require proof of surgery and a court order. Trump didn't just ban changing one's gender on passports or other federal documents immediately upon taking office in twenty twenty five, His administration forcefully altered existing documents to reflect assigned sex at birth and did away with the gender neutral X marker. The policy was temporarily blocked as a lawsuit against it moved forward, but the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the federal government in November, putting it back into effect. The people of Indiana spoke clearly and repeatedly against this policy, and their Bureau of metaihcles chose to ignore them, said Chris Paulson, the iyg CEO. Quietly implementing a rule that puts transgender hoosiers at risk while offering no transparency or a meaningful notice is not governance.
Speaker 3: It's cruelty.
Speaker 1: It is it is Our young people deserve a state that protects their safety and dignity, not one that deliberately puts them in harm's way.
Speaker 2: You're here.
Speaker 1: Should we talk about all the ways that puts somebody in harms way when they have to produce an idea, right? Yeah, you never know who's asking for it or what their response is going to be. Right, Yeah, you're outing trans people in every situation where they need it, they need to show it?
Speaker 3: Why? Right? For what reason? For what reason? There's no reason other than cruelty?
Speaker 2: Right, I mean that's the reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no reason other than ugly. So I guess, way to go Indiana.
Speaker 1: Huh right, So Kansas is fucking around too. So far, the governor has vetoed a bill saying that it would even ban people from visiting their grandparents of an opposite sex, wondering.
Speaker 3: How that's possible.
Speaker 1: It has strict provisions about who is allowed in to visit shared dorm and nursing home rooms.
Speaker 3: Is what she said when she vetoed the measure.
Speaker 1: Lara Kelly vetoed the anti trans bathroom bill after Republicans passed it using a procedure that allowed them to bring the legislation up to a vote without public hearing. This was disgusting. This was the middle of the night, right, yeah, bullshit move. The version of Senate Bill two forty four passed by the state Senate's Republican majority, originated in the state's House Judiciary Committee as House Bill two four two six. That bill would have required Kansas driver's licenses and birth certificates to indicate a person's sex assigned at birth, regardless.
Speaker 3: Of their gender identity.
Speaker 1: But in late January, Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee approved an amendment to the bill that would have required government buildings in the state to segregate spaces like bathrooms and locker rooms by sex and banned trans people from using facilities that do not align with the sex they were assigned to birth. Notably, the committee gave no public notice that it would add the bathroom band to the bill prior to voting on it, and worse, after approving the amendment, The committee used a procedure known as gut and go, which allowed them to place the contents of HB two four two six into an entirely unrelated bill SB two four four that had already been passed in the state Senate.
Speaker 3: This is disgusting, yep, all of it.
Speaker 1: The maneuver allowed the Kansas Senate to sidestep public input and vote on those legislation without a hearing. Yeah, so the governor did cite numerous and significant consequences. That's the reason for her veto If your grandfather is in a nursing home in a shared room, as a granddaughter, you would not be able to visit him. If your sister is living in a dormant case state, as a brother, you would not be able to visit her in her room. Kelly said in a statement, I believe the legislature should stay out of the business of telling Kansas how to go to the bathroom and instead stay focused on how to make life more affordable for Kansas. Since I couldn't agree more. Yeah, really good God, It's.
Speaker 2: Like what Yeah, And they're spending all this time, all these different states are spending all this time on this unnecessary minutia so you know, the important shit ain't getting done.
Speaker 1: No, this is they're focused on us, on this hate campaign against us, because if you're looking at us, you're not paying attention to the kids they're diddling, You're not paying attention to the money they're stealing from you. Yeah, the entire Republican Party has lost their soul and lost their way, and we're the scapegoat for now. Right, But everybody's fair game.
Speaker 2: And they scream Jesus the entire time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do, and they find people to follow them, and it's scary as fuck. But the majority of folks in this country are not down with this nonsense. The majority of folks in Canansas, the majority of folks in Indiana not okay with this stuff. Right, So they do it in the dark of night. Why why is this all they can focus on? Because, well, in part, it's because Republicans don't know how to govern a goddamn thing.
Speaker 3: Well, well, yeah, so this is fun.
Speaker 2: So Fox News host says trans people should not be allowed to own guns. Ooh, I want to hear about this.
Speaker 3: I don't. It made me sick.
Speaker 2: So Fox News host Lawrence Jones, Oh, and he's black. It is during a February seventeenth segment discussing a February sixteenth mass shooting at a Rhode Island ice rink, expressed that he thinks transgender people should not be allowed to guns in the US.
Speaker 3: These are the Second Amendment people, m h uh huh.
Speaker 2: Robert Dorgan, fifty six, killed their son and ex wife before taking their own life during a hockey game at the Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket. The Independent previously reported that Dorgan, who also went by the name Roberta, had undergone gender affirming surgery and struggled with family issues. During the discussion on Fox News is the Five, Jones said, if you're someone that just wants to wear a dress, no problems. If you are someone that just wants to identify as another sex but you know deep down that you're not, but you just want to be called he or she, that's one thing. But if you from a psychological tendpoint, oh bitch, think that you are another sex, you should.
Speaker 3: Not have a gun.
Speaker 2: So if you're a white man who believes that you're a Christian and a thinking human being but then goes out and shoots unarmed black people, or the way time happens. Yeah, then you should not own a gun. We can use that same logic.
Speaker 1: We should have, but we never have. Time after time after time after time after time after time. All of these mass shootings have pretty much been all but what three have been SIS had or sis had identified white men, and someone needs definitely men even if they weren't.
Speaker 2: And someone needs to tell coonhead McGee over here that the same argument was levied against black people since time out of mind.
Speaker 1: Right right, Yeah, something that has been diagnosed to gender dysphory is a problem, and all of us know it. We all have to fill out the federal gun form that talks about mental You should have to check that box. The vast majority of perpetrators, up to ninety eight percent, by the way, in mass shootings, and this is in Pink News. Our cis gender or non trans men according to data from the Violence Prevention Product, And while being transgender is not classified as a mental disorder, trans people usually need to be diagnosed with the condition of gender dysphoria or gender identity disorder in order to access healthcare.
Speaker 2: This motherfucker and those say, let the black guys say this bullshit.
Speaker 1: This motherfucker, Yeah, a couple of trans people went off the rails, and is it any wonder I'm surprised more of us don't, for real, just like I'm surprised more black people don't lose their fucking minds in this country. I'm you know, honestly, well, right, you're lucky. All we want is equal rights and not revenge that part. But they assume we will treat them like they treat us. Should we get a foothold anywhere?
Speaker 2: So, which is why this coon ass motherfucker saying this shit?
Speaker 3: Just mm hmmm hmmm. I thought you would enjoy this one. Oh fuck.
Speaker 2: I mean you're already a Fox News correspondent, so you automatically have sold your fucking soul.
Speaker 3: Right, you probably got a portrait of Clarence Thomas up in your den.
Speaker 2: H How is it twenty twenty six and you still have cotton underneath your fucking fingernails? Oh god damn.
Speaker 1: Do you think he does though, or do you think he assumes everyone else does and he doesn't want it there? I'm not sure what this is. Please, I think he's some you know, mistake in the house for his home.
Speaker 2: Again, the view of the house is always better from the porch than from the field.
Speaker 1: It is right, But isn't that interesting that that's an immediate solution, Right? A couple of trans people are involved in a shooting and we shouldn't have guns, And yet that is never what any of y'all say when it's yet another white man. Now, it's almost like, this isn't fair, And.
Speaker 2: I didn't anyway, what's next because I have nothing else constructive to say?
Speaker 1: Well, Journal of the American Medical Association Investigation tells us twenty six percent of trans and gender diverse youth have attempted suicide, and the highest attempt rates came out of North America amidst the United States War on transkits.
Speaker 2: Shocker, Yeah, I bet your water's still wet.
Speaker 1: More than a quarter of trans and gender diverse youth worldwide have attempted suicide. For a study printed this month in Drama Pediatrics, a high impact medical journal, co authors from Alberta Children's Hospital Research Institute and the University of Calgary performed a systematic review and meta analysis of one hundred and thirty seven studies, including over one hundred thirty thousand transgender diverse youth. While much of the data was proportionate across demographics. One disparity of note came from North America. Youth on the continent saw suicide attempts skyrocket more than any other region included in the study. The observed increases in suicidal ideation attempts and non suicidal self injury in more recent data collection periods may also impart reflect the growing sociopolitical hostility toward our communities, particularly North America. According to the authors, the rise of anti transgender legislation, combined with escalating public stigma and discrimination, may be contributing to heightened psychological distress and risk for self harm and suicidality. Maybe right, Yeah, The literature surrounding the toll of the anti trans crusade on children in the United States is robust.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Indeed, the rates are two to three and a half times higher in transgender diverse youth compared with those of their cisgender peers who are not being targeted like trans kids are. There is a critical need for improved prevention and intervention efforts to address their mental health concerns, according to the paper, and that's the conclusions. Of course, what do we do as a nation and the specific LGBT focused nine eight eight operators. Yeah, yeah, it's almost like they want us to right. It revealed other potential trends as well. For example, it appeared to elucidate a disparity and rates of suicidal ideation between studies that include more transfeminine use versus transmasculine or broadly non binary ones. The study suggests this indicates that transmasculine individuals experience higher rates of victimization and discrimination in some respects, and that non conforming youth particularly suffer due to limited societal understanding and the invalidation of their identities, and there are still many kinds of violence disproportionately faced by trans Mental health struggles in young people also increased with age, because as we get older, we've become more aware of societal stigma, discrimination, and the long term challenges of living in a non affirming world. Researchers noted, Yeah, older youth face added stressors like navigating healthcare systems, social rejection, and lacking access to affirming support. These experiences can heighten vulnerability to suicidality over time. Right Giants People of color, of course, face more discrimination and actually suicidal ideation, though may be lower in racial and ethnic minority populations, which is the finding contrary to research on cisgendered heterosexual youth.
Speaker 3: Our youth are.
Speaker 1: Likely driven by the unique stressors they face, including bullying, limit access to gender affirming care, and internalized stigma. The authors wrote conversely, supportive families, affirming communities, and inclusive policies can serve as protective factors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are still Yep?
Speaker 1: Everything we've always known and proven scientifically, etc. Over time still holds.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: This one's fun just you know, in terms of bone chilling right.
Speaker 2: Heritage Foundation president announces intent to outlaw all trans.
Speaker 3: Adult care adult care. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: The president of the billionaire backed Heritage Foundation, Kevin Robert, appeared on the influential far right PbD podcast to discuss gender affirming care. During his appearance, he echoed usual far right anti transgender talking points, including linking being transgender to being inherently violent, which I still don't know where the fuck they get that from. Then the conversation turned towards what the Heritage Foundation was working on when it comes to the future of transgender people. It was during this shift that Roberts darkly announced that his solution to being transgender was simple, you outlaw it, and that the organization was working to ban gender affirming care at all ages through an incremental process he described as radical incrementalism. But where there continues to be disagreement is on what you do with adults at Heritage. We believe that so called transgender surgery is bad for anybody because of what you saw in Rhode Island yesterday on shooting. Right, Yeah, there does seem to be a mounting body of evidence that suggests a correlation between that surgery at any age mental health issues, and increasingly, although we're running the numbers on this at Heritage, acts of violence, Fuck you, you only running shit?
Speaker 1: And fuck you, why don't you study acts of violence among your own?
Speaker 3: Right? Oh wait, right?
Speaker 1: I do not want the Heritage Foundation deciding my future for real though for any of us, well, but a lot apparently a majority voter for it. So Project twenty five came straight out of them, and now they are saying this.
Speaker 2: Shit. Yeah, but everyone was, uh, we always knew.
Speaker 1: They weren't going to stop at children. We've been saying we're over dramatic. Oh I I yeah, I've been called all those things. Yeah, this is right out of his mouth, you outlaw it. When asked if transgender adults should have their medication taken away, he endorsed the idea of stating we like that idea too. One of the reasons is that we not only work in coalitions, but we often work toward an ultimate goal via incremental steps. Sometimes people will call us radical incrementalists. We're willing to take a quarter of the Angilada if we can keep working there. So, if that's the kind of thing that policymakers can agree on left and right, Heritage see, and this is what I keep saying, they will find any way to get Democrats to actually agree with them. Yeah, and this is why it's important that they don't. Heritage would be fully supportive of that, knowing that ultimately we have an ideal position that would be much stronger than that.
Speaker 3: This man is pure fucking evil. Yeah. Evil. When we say they want us dead, we're not kidding, right.
Speaker 2: Not hyperbole, not hyperbole at all.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many trans people would not don't want to be alive without tender, affirming care, And that's what they want. Why why still doesn't make them any better? Doesn't change any of the violence in the world doesn't make this a better place to live, and I think we need to be asking ourselves.
Speaker 3: Why one more.
Speaker 2: So, I wanted to end the segment on this because it is just ridiculous and I know that I'm pretty sure that justice will be swift on this one. So Redwood High School in Visalia, which is Fresno, California. Okay, there's some students under investigation because of a photo where they decided to get creative with spelling. So these kids were taking a photo and each of them had a letter or a number on the front of their white T shirts, and they arranged themselves so that their shirts spelled out the word fagots.
Speaker 3: Two fagots?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Why because it's funny?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was a joke. This was posted on the source lgbt's instagram. The source LGBT plus Center is deeply disturbed by the homophobic slur displayed by students at Redwood High School. This was not a harmless joke. It reinforces stigma, normalizes hate, and harms lgbt Q plus student's sense of safety and belonging. There is a reminder that GSA and student pride are essential to student safety and well being. We are committed to continuing advocacy for students and families for safer spaces both on and off campus. We expect meaningful accountability and tangible steps forward from the Visalia Unified School District. All I can say is this, The picture is very nice and clear, which means that all of these young people's faces are easily identifiable from any I don't know, college admissions departments, employers. Yes, so you know, good on y'all for smiling and saying she's so big and bright.
Speaker 3: And they did. Yeah, mm hmm. Yeah. It looks to me from the picture that you can tell who every one of them is if you want to. Uh huh right, yeah, so you know that's.
Speaker 1: Maybe takes that into account. As these people, you know, all of them white of course, well, you know, move about their business, know that this is who they are, and deal with them accordingly.
Speaker 3: I mean, what else? What else? I believe that children are there?
Speaker 1: Not these well no, I actually do believe some of these children are the future. Scares the fuck out of me. I can't with any I mean, there is no more. That's that's what we gathered. I am debilitated. Let's take a break and we'll come back one more time and pop the culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back. Cake there, cat Cake.
Speaker 1: No way to make any of the previous funny. Nothing, I got nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Shit is continues to get real, continues to get ugly and bolder and nastier, and that's just the way it is. So we continue to pay attention to pop culture so we do not lose our entire minds. Did you hear the Priscilla, Queen of the Desert has a sequel confirmed?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: Thirty years later with the original cast and director. I saw this and I was like, oh, really, they are returning to the big screen.
Speaker 2: All of because I thought, oh no, yeah, they're all back. Terence Damp, Guy Pierce, you go, we've got work.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: That'll be interesting because they've all they're all a little older, but that can only make some of these characters better. Actually, I love Priscilla. The original Priscilla the Drag was fabulous and the soundtrack to that film is so amazing, So I can only imagine what it's going to be for the second.
Speaker 1: One, well, two of the characters are drag queens. The third is a transgender woman and the heartwarming treatment she gets.
Speaker 3: In the movie is one of the films highlight indeed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of course you know this film was considered to be the inspiration for Tu Wong fu h. Thank you for everything, Julie Newmar with Patrick Swayze playing the part of the trans woman. I love that was not in the act stated in the actual film. I believe Patrick was playing it that way.
Speaker 1: Okay, the sequel will will include new characters. It will still include old disco classics, but we'll be moving into contemporary as well. The movie was turned into a Broadway musical, right and other spin off live shows and Lady Gaga is Born this way is particularly popular with the audience when it's included.
Speaker 3: We've got to move with the time.
Speaker 2: I hope they get the same costume person, right, because remember when I think it was the Oscars that year and she was wearing the dress that was made of raisor blades.
Speaker 3: Remember this.
Speaker 2: I want her back because that was fierce.
Speaker 3: So will keep her eye out for that. Yeah, that was a fun movie.
Speaker 2: And I think like the up to date, like the current songs that they use in the original was like C. C. Peniston finally, like that was like the current sound then, So I'm curious see what they use this go round because again the soundtrack is amazing. That's how I discovered the song I've Never Been to Me really off of that soundtrack. Yeah, really, I had never heard that song before.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah that was on the radio, not in my house. It wasn't mine.
Speaker 2: And Lena Horne fine romance, Like there was a lot of songs.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, I love the soundtrack, right, we'll stay on the lookout.
Speaker 3: I'm excited me too.
Speaker 2: So this is something that I came across that I was It made my little eyebrow raise up, just the one, just the one, and I can't even do that. So that's how you know. So, there is a video game that was just released the day after Valentine's Day. It's called Reloted, and it's a video game where players steal back back African artifacts come Again.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So this was released by a South African company and it features characters from the African continent whose objective is to reclaim artifacts looted by colonizers from Western museums and bring them home. I want to play this game. This isn't just a heist, It's a rescue mission. The trailer for Relooted tells its audience.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: It was released on February tenth on several platforms. It's set in the late twenty first century in a context where political powers have signed a treaty promising to return genuine African artifacts held in museums, so it's definitely fiction. When these museums learn that only the works on public display will be returned, they gradually remove them from exhibitions in order to avoid having to hand them over. But they haven't banked on the game's heroes, a group of people from different African countries ready to discreetly reloote seventy artifacts, including a Yoho te mask from Burkina, Fasso Congolese, a shugo sticks, and a Gaji drum from Kenya. Hmmm, all right. The game incorporates all the classic elements of the heist video game. A motley crew of thieves, a bit of strategy, plenty of acrobatics, and above all, the thrill of the robbery. One of the characters asked, but is it really theft? If it was already stolen. Good ass question.
Speaker 3: Yep, I love it. When is this coming out?
Speaker 2: It's out, It came out, came out the day after Valentine's Die.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, and you don't have it?
Speaker 2: I don't, well, I don't. I haven't bought a new game system this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm an old school Okay, and so I loved that stuff. I'm I'm down for it. I want to play this game, and this would be a reason to get a new game system. I'm just saying, you have friends, I was gonna say. And the other reason why I haven't played many new video games is because you're mean. I'm kidding. That's not that's not the.
Speaker 3: Real I'll take it. I will take it. I'm fine with that. Not a problem.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I basically bullied you into watching Reality Check. Yes, the America's Next Top Model documentary. Yes, and aren't you glad I did?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure?
Speaker 1: Kinda we Yeah, we were rivetted, Oh my god, to all three episodes in a row at one time.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was. It was scalding hot tea. All happened through and the fact that Tyra herself was in it Tyra Banks was in it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was gonna be like a puff piece.
Speaker 2: No, I knew it was her. Oh, I definitely.
Speaker 1: Because she involved herself, you know, because usually folks don't if they're not gonna look good. Right, I'm still trying to figure out why she did it.
Speaker 2: Well, if you'll notice, I know she.
Speaker 1: Talked about a season twenty five. I meant nobody wants.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. She was like, get ready for cycle twenty five. Nobody's going no, no, nobody wants to be ready for them, because there's people from cycle one that still got some things to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and j Menmoel is still waiting for that phone call.
Speaker 2: Oh actually now he's not. So he's not the biggest takeaways. So I remember I watched, especially the first season of Top Model, like Lisa and I had a standing date at her apartment where I would come and we would watch this show and it was just like, you know, this is the early days of reality television. So it was the Wow Wile west Child and you know, seeing these young girls be put through the ringer for the chance at a career as a model. And I realized that part of the reason why I accepted so much of the stuff that happened on this show was because at the time, I was an up and coming artist trying to make my way in the dog eat dog world of performing arts. So you know, the whole thing of like you got to pay your dues and these things you gotta do and this things you got to put up with, and you know, you can't complain and you can't bitch, and you gotta do this, and you gotta do this. So like all that just aligned camera on them, thank you. So Yeah, so many things came out that happened to these girls in the process of making the show, and you know, a lot of it just wasn't cool. And it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a rejection of the fashion world at the time. Well, at the same time, it was a reflection of the fashion world.
Speaker 1: It really was, because you know, while that there was lip service page to this, you know, I don't know, being some new frontier, I heard an awful lot about that's the way things are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was confusing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like Tyra claimed that her whole reason for starting the show was to show the fashion world that there's more than one body type. There's more than one skin color, there's more than one look. And then as she was quickly reminded she was making a fucking television show. So all of a sudden, you know, oh you have to watch your weight, Oh you need to look like this. Right, it's like, oh, five seconds ago you said, oh okay, and these girls are just gonna do whatever they are told.
Speaker 3: As children looked like they had not how a meal, and.
Speaker 2: Exactly like the PLU because I remember, like every season there's always one plus size model, at least one plus size model, and looking back, I'm like, she's plus size in that she's a size sex right, right, And that was fucked up because one of the girls was talking about and there was one plus size model that actually won, like far down the line when I had no longer been watching the show, and she was talking about how you know she's being uplifted, as like, you know, you're doing this for the big girls, and this for the plus size models. But yet nowhere they sent her had clothes that fit her, you know, of course, and all of these challenges and all of these things were basically designed to break these girls down and right, and one of the things that that like totally horrified me. Was cycle two. I remember watching in real time with everyone else. The storyline of the girls were sent to Milan and they had to go in their go sees, and so each of the girls was assigned an Italian man on a vespa to take them to their go sees, and so the challenge was they had to communicate with their guy because they didn't speak Italian and they didn't speak the guys didn't speak English, and they had to get to their go sees on time, and everything okay, fine. Then afterwards they come back to the house and oh, surprise, surprise, here's the guys again. And they're all like drinking and laughing and having a good time, and some of them are in the hot tub, and Shandy ends up like making out with one of the guys, and she has a boyfriend back in the States, and so you know, we're shown that, like you know, they hook up, they have sex, and then she starts freaking out because she cheated on her boyfriend.
Speaker 1: That that is how it was all framed.
Speaker 2: That's how I remember seeing her moral failing on the television. Yes, right, and she was a wreck for cheating on her boyfriend. She you know, called her boyfriend who handled it very badly, called her a fucking bitch and all this stuff when she broke down and told him that she cheated on him. Right, Come to find out, what ended up happening was she was sexually assaulted by this young man.
Speaker 1: It her account at this point is very different from what was their yet, right, and that she you know, and they filmed it all right, They kept filming copious amounts of alcohol and no food, right, and that she blacked out at some point and you know, in the hot time, she has no memory.
Speaker 2: She said, at one point, I could feel that sex was happening, but I wasn't aware of what.
Speaker 3: Was going on.
Speaker 2: Right, that's rape, yeah, period, oh yeah, And they filmed it right, so right, and I'm sitting here like, oh my god, oh my god, because a that's what happened to her, and be the way they framed it, because like I said, I remember being like, why is she like reacting so like this so dramatically over you know she hooked up with Because you know, I'm thinking, like, you're an eighteen year old girl, you're on top model, you're in Milan, you hooked up with it with an Italian dude after being in a photo shoot, like, okay, you cheated on your boyfriend. But girl, come on, now, I understand then that's not why she was upset. That's horrifying.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, right, that was the story they were kind of almost telling her.
Speaker 3: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was disturbing, right, because then Tyra comes in and has a little talk with all of them and she talks about cheating, and she talks to Shandy about you know, cheating and what that means and all this. It's like, which says to me that upon reviewing the footage, they had to find a way to spend this and make this a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe, I mean this is certainly you know pre me too for sure and sad. Yeah, just a sad indication of how things I think were and.
Speaker 2: To make it even worse. So, leading up to this, Tyro was talking about how in the beginning, you know, she's the executive producer, her and Ken, who has blood on his hands too. You know, they were doing everything and she was she was editing, she was in the editing booth, and she had her hands and all this stuff right in the creating a work.
Speaker 1: She said that after actually I think if I remember it, she was like, I was, that wasn't my department, and then it I believe it.
Speaker 3: Very shortly after that in the.
Speaker 1: Show she's saying, I learned to be a great editor. Well, right, which one?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Yeah, So when they asked her about Shandy and she was like, yeah, production is not really wasn't really part of my my you know, my purview. And it's like, first of all, it says before the show and after the show in big old letters, executive producer Tyra Banks, you're the one that's talking about how many, how many places you've got your hands on, so there's no way in the world. And I happen to know that the executive producer has, you know, seized the footage and has a hand in directing the storylines. So don't fucking tell me that you didn't know. So there's that, and then there's her treatment of the two J's j Manuel, Miss Jay Alexander and Nigel Barker aka the reasons I watched the fucking show in the first guy Dame and how you know they were like the dream team for however many seasons until you know, the network changed and she cut them loose and kept on looking. She just stepped over their bodies.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, well that happened earlier with Jim and well, I mean like they ceased being friends. Yeah, you know for a long time in there because he wanted to leave. Yeah, and yeah, it's it's messy.
Speaker 2: It's the whole thing.
Speaker 3: It's so messy, and.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get not messy, No, it just stays pretty messy.
Speaker 2: The most heart wrenching part for me was the part about Miss j who I want to point out like Miss Jay was and I didn't realize this until we were watching this documentary how influential Miss Jay was for me as a queer person, Like Miss Jay showed me that, you know, being fluid in one's wardrobe is perfectly acceptable, sure you know.
Speaker 1: Or possible right right without apology, possible right exactly.
Speaker 2: That unapologeticness is what I definitely loved about Miss Jay. Oh of course, what did I say? I hope she don't never play poker because that face just tells you everything.
Speaker 3: And in Braille as well, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: She And she's the one that taught Tyra how to walk when she was sixteen, and countless other models taught them how to walk, and you know, come to find out that Miss Jay had a stroke what was a year ago? Okay, a few years ago, we're talking about four years and couldn't walk. That took me out. And the fact that you know, j Manuel and and and Nigel visited a couple of times and like they kept in touch and made sure that Miss Jay was okay, and Tyra sent a text once yeah, and never came to visit. Yeah, you know, right, Like I was sitting there crying on that just just for the simple fact that like you were the walk and then you couldn't walk right, and and it meant so much to her, right, not one visit. And it was crazy because like you know, I watched I watched the show in real time up until like off way through season three, and then I just fell off just because I didn't have the time to dedicate to a show. I never did so and so so much of it like escape me. But I would hear tidbits about what was going on, like the one girl who she had a gap in her teeth and like Tyra fought with her about closing the gap.
Speaker 1: That fucked me because right, the black girl, yes, was basically you want to you want to let us alter your appearance and close that gap or do you want to go home?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Was kind of like they bullied her into it, and then how many seasons later they gave some white girl. Yeah, you'll be like, just like Lauren Hutton, what the actual fuck.
Speaker 2: Right not to mention you're putting these girls through like surgery? Basically that was insane to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like how is it unacceptable? For one? And I thought she right?
Speaker 2: She did, she was fine, She looked fabulous with that gas, and it was, you know, it's insanity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was crazy watching them, you know, defend both positions when you put it all together like this all it, you know, condense it all some crazy shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we just as a culture, we just lapped that ship on up and.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't have existed as long as it did without an audience exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's how we got the Kardashians, and that's how we got like all of these shows, these vapid ass shows, where like we got to be as crazy as possible to keep eyes on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's some tea watch. If you haven't yet watched Reality Check, it is some tea, right, and it was crazy and.
Speaker 3: Who yes, it was a break from I'm now on Chicago.
Speaker 2: Fire season eleven, twelve eleven.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, that's been my happy place. I live in Dick Wolf's world for real, though, I think I do. I think I do.
Speaker 1: I don't know what else to say other than we should probably do podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do that because show. If you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts, good pods, YouTube, or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating or hit that subscribe button five stars and more. Please follow us on social at Full Circle the Pod on Instagram, threads and blue Sky, and Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at Imartha Madrigal everywhere. Her writing can be found at i Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com, I am at Never Scurred Everywhere. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job, drop us a line at Ask Fullcirclepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. Explore our new web store and get your own piece of Full Circle the Podcast merchandise. Just go to our website Full Circlethepod dot com and click shop our merch There's bound to be something to suit your style. Join our Patreon Patreon dot com slash Full Circle Thepod starting at just a three dollars a month tire. You get access to all of our episodes add free and before everyone else, and it only gets better from there. It's fun. Over at the Patreon, you can also check out our Discord channel, Full Circle thepot Cat.
Speaker 3: Podcast.
Speaker 2: Business over. Get that out of the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I made dinner. Yay, you know we can go eat. I baked your bread. I bake you bread. It's true, you do, I do.
Speaker 1: And I baked this fucking dog treats homemade dog treat It's the Martha.
Speaker 3: It is apparently apparently. So yeah, let's go have dinner.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I need to get back into Dick Wolfe's world. I think it's cozy there.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: You have been listening to Full Circle the Podcast. I am your host, Martha Madrigal, and.
Speaker 2: I am your host Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 3: And we appreciate you so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks again, bye everyone. Full Circle is a Never Scurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by The jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trade marks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders