Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 2: It's five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Tuesday, November twenty sixth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. Thanks for starting your day with us. Of course, it is the busiest travel day of the year, so maybe you're up early getting ready.
Speaker 2: To hit the road.
Speaker 1: There's only like eighty million people who are going to be traveling for the holiday weekend, and today is supposed to be the busiest day. I think they said three million people expected to pass through TSA security checkpoints by air today. We're gonna be talking to ABC Jim Ryan in just a couple of minutes about that.
Speaker 2: He'll fill us in.
Speaker 1: Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. The Menendez brothers will not be home for the holidays. Eric and Lyle made their first court appearances in decades yesterday. It was done virtually their lawyers and family members asked for the brothers to be re sentenced in the murder of their parents, in nineteen eighty nine. The judge rescheduled a December eleventh hearing to late January. A federal judge says a San Jose State volleyball player can play in the upcoming women's Mountain West Conference tournament even though she's apparently transgender. Nine players have sued, challenging the conference's rules that allow transgender athletes to play. They claim it could be unsafe and unfair. They're appealing the judge's ruling. Santa has made one of his first appearances of the season, attending the tree lighting ceremonies at both the Grove and Los Angeles Union Station and Sinks Lance Bass American Idol winner Abby Carter, love Her and Robin Thicke all joined Santa at the Grove last night for the tree lighting, drone show and fireworks. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Menendez brothers' potential re sentencing has been delayed until at least late January.
Speaker 4: Eric and Leulman Indez appeared virtually in a courtroom in van Nis, where they had hoped to argue for their potential release after thirty five years in prison. The brothers murdered their parents in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine, but say new evidence details sexual abuse by their father that would have benefited their cases back in the nineties. Their aunt, Joan Vandermullen, supports the brother's release. What kind of can do in its father's god, I can't stand The judge says he needs time to review seventeen boxes of documents and that hearings at the end of January are now scheduled. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A small plane that crashed while trying to make an emergency landing at Fullerton Airport has been taken to a tow yard to try to figure out what caused it to crash. The Mooney M twenty plane hit a tree yesterday and sheared a fire hydrant as it went down on art Jack. Fullerton Fire Department Division Chief John Miller says the pilot couldn't make it back to the airports.
Speaker 5: There was a fire hydrant that was hit, but other than that there was minimal damage. Other than to the airplane itself.
Speaker 1: Firefighters had to pull the pilot and his passenger out of the plane. Both were taken to the hospital with moderate injuries. LA School Superintendent Alberto Carvallo says a burglary at Wadsworth Avenue Elementary School in South LA has caused more than one hundred thousand dollars damage. About twenty four doors were damaged over the weekend and a building was ransacked.
Speaker 6: Beyond the cost is the inconvenience this brings to the educational community, to the teachers, to the students themselves.
Speaker 1: Carvallo says more than one hundred and seventy break ins have been reported at schools across the district this year. He says the recent voter approval of the district's nine billion dollar bond measure will help by providing campus improvements like security cameras and alarm systems.
Speaker 2: Special Council Jack Smith.
Speaker 1: Has filed a motion to drop all four felony charges against President elect Trump in connection with efforts to overturn the twenty twenty presidential election. Smith also filed a similar motion yesterday to drop all charges over Trump's alleged efforts to store classified documents at his home in Florida. The Supreme Court put both cases in doubt this year when the Justice is ruled that Trump has some presidential immunity. Smith and his team are expected to resign before Trump takes office in January. Tiger Woods says he won't be playing in next week's Hero World Challenge, a tournament he hosts in the Bahamas. The golf legend is still recuperating from major back surgery in September. Wood says he is disappointed but is looking forward to being the tournament host.
Speaker 2: Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim ryans So.
Speaker 1: Jim Nick said that traffic right now is holiday light, but I don't think that's going to last.
Speaker 6: Probably not no, because you've got something like seventy million people who are traveling by car. It's fifty miles or more for the holiday, and that's all going on across the country right now. So, yeah, what are you five morning? It's going to pick up here within the next couple of hours and it's going to stay that way for a few days. Record travel, we're well exceeded the highs of twenty nineteen. That's kind of the benchmark and has been for a few years amy as the point at which the pandemic came in and essentially shut travel down. We've fully recovered from that now.
Speaker 2: Isn't that good to know? And so they're saying it's the busiest travel day.
Speaker 1: Today is supposed to be the busiest travel day of the of the weekend.
Speaker 6: Today. Yeah, well, the next Monday we'll rival it, certainly at the airports as people fly back home after their long holiday weekend. So yes, today it's going to be very heavy. And we were already looking at some travel delays Northeast in Boston, New York and DC. They've got weather related flight delays, not a lot, but a few anyway, and including a couple of flights that are heading to southern California from Washington, DC.
Speaker 1: So even if you're here and the weather is not a factor, you probably should still call ahead because sometimes planes coming in and get delayed, and that delays.
Speaker 6: Year getting butterfly effect things across the country can affect you here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so the numbers are up from last year, but it's like a two or three percent increase, right, So it's not like we're going to see a marked difference from last year.
Speaker 6: Well probably not. No, Statistically, yes there is a difference, but in terms of the real impact on individual travelers, probably not. But it's still it would serve you well to get to the airport early, to maybe gas up and get out of there early as you start to hit the road. Gas prices are lower this year than last year, and you know that's certainly feeding into people's desire to go ahead and get out of town. I think the average across the country right now is three dollars a little over three dollars per gallon for regular. Oh, I know, I know. You want to hear the Texas number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the number in Texas?
Speaker 6: You really want to hear it? Uh huh forty seven cents? Again, No, it's average price around here is two sixty four for regular. I suspect yours is a little higher than that. It is.
Speaker 1: Last so I filled up yesterday it was four fifty nine a gallon. I just remember that.
Speaker 2: But that was how do you do that? I don't know, you just do it.
Speaker 1: In California right now, the average for regular is for forty four. And that's in California. It's yeah, it's usually higher in La too.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, my brother lives in San Francisco, and he's, oh, that's much anymore.
Speaker 2: That's why you know, last time I traveled, I took the train.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, a lot of people are doing that, yeah, trains traveling by train. It figures into the statistics this year too. So two does cruising. People are taking cruises like never before. One report by Oh my God.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine doing a Thanksgiving cruise because a cruise you eat the whole time anyway, and if you build in Thanksgiving around that, that would be well delicious and probably painful for your stomach.
Speaker 6: I spent Thanksgiving eight years ago something like that. It was right after Ferguson, So I was stuck in Saint Louis for Thanksgiving and an ABC team and I ate our Thanksgiving in a casino and it was the most depressing thing you've ever seen. It was so sad.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully you'll be home this Jearsey pro tips, What are some pro tips for people who are traveling?
Speaker 6: Always get there early, make sure you get there early. Be patient. You know that I think is really a lot of it is just keeping things in perspective. If you're traveling somewhere you're not working right, and so if you get a little flight delay, fine, just sit on relaxed, have a cup of coffee and read the paper, you know, because you're going to get there eventually. You'll have a nice time. Just try to chill out a bit. Philadelphia, they called the Wagging Tails Brigade. It's a team of twenty three dogs and their handlers and they wander around the airport letting and the vest on the dog. You know you see vests on police dogs. They keep back. Don't pet stay away the vest on these dogs, It says.
Speaker 1: Pet me, that is so cute, except if you don't like dogs, like one of my best friends complains, because it's just like, why are dogs in stores?
Speaker 2: She probably would not like to see dogs in airports either.
Speaker 6: Well, you don't have to go pet.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And then what's going on with the Charlotte workers strike?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was a strike going on over there with Charlotte Douglas International Airport. The airports support workers. These are folks who go in and clean the planes between flights, and they wheel people in wheelchairs to the flights. You know, they do kind of the support work. Well, the folks at Charlotte say they can't even afford rent, They can barely afford to drive to the airport to get to work, and so they've gone on strike. It's not impacting flights much even at Charlotte, much less across the industry. But Charlotte being an American airlines hub, it's possible if you suddenly started seeing a slow down there at Charlotte, then that could ripple around the country again. Butterfly effects something happening at Charlotte affecting folks in that you know, John Wayne or Lai.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, any last final words?
Speaker 7: Am I.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we'll talk to you before Thanksgiving?
Speaker 6: Maybe tom Well, I'm working tomorrow. Well, I'll try to come up with something that you're interested in.
Speaker 2: Okay, do that would you? It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Jim Ryan, thank you all right, and don't forget to pack your patients.
Speaker 6: Pack some patience. I hate that cliches.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll talk to you soon, Jim.
Speaker 6: Thanks. Okay.
Speaker 1: So let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A couple from Rosemeat have been arrested for the death of their one year old daughter. The La County Sheriff's Departments' his deputies were called to a home on Strathmore Avenue earlier this month about a baby who was unconscious not breathing. They say the girl was unresponsive and had multiple injuries. She died at the hospital. A sibling was placed in protective custody. Stepfather and son team has been arrested for trying to steal from a store in Upland. Police say a police officer caught the teen in the store over the weekend, and while he was being detained, the stepdad was allegedly stuffing stolen closed into a suitcase. The stepfather tried to run off but was caught. He's out on parole and has outstanding warrants. He was arrested. The teen was cited and released to his mother. Most charges against more than two dozen protesters who blocked the Golden Gate Bridge and protests of the Israel Hamas war have been dismissed a judge throughout thirty two of the forty four charges against twenty six protesters.
Speaker 8: Throughout history, people have used protest and civil disobedience as a way of bringing about social change. These protesters are simply in that tradition.
Speaker 1: Rachel Liederman with the Center for Protest Law and Litigation says there's no precedent for the types of charges that have been filed against the group. Most of those counts were false imprisonment. The twelve charges that remain include federal counts of conspiracy. Authorities Inventor County are searching for a woman accused of running a home rental scam. Investigator Say Jennifer Singh advertised a home for rent in Semi Valley last year. She ended up promising to lease the home to a family for twenty five hundred dollars, but it turned out she didn't own the home and wasn't authorized to rent it. She took the family's twenty five hundred dollars anyway. Detective say Singh did it again in March, this time stealing four thousand dollars from would be renters. Singh is facing two counts of grand theft. Democrat Derek Tran has declared victory in the forty fifth congressional district race, despite having only a slim lead over Republican Congresswoman Michelle Steele. The Orange County Registrar of Voters's Tran added another thirty six votes to his lead yesterday's now had by five hundred and eighty one votes. He has a fifty point one percent edge over Steel's forty nine point nine percent counting of ballots for the La County portion of the seat resumes today. It's not known how many more ballots are still to be counted. The fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon is here. Chef Bruno's charity, Katerina's Club, provides more than twenty five thousand meals ever every week to kids in need in Southern California, and we couldn't do it without you. Your generosity makes it all happen, So we would love for you to join in with Pastathon this year and help out. Here are three ways you can do it. You can donate right now at KFI AM six forty dot com slash Postathon. You can shop at any Smart and Final store and donate any amount at checkout. You can also head into any Wendy's restaurant in Southern California donate five bucks or more and you get a coupon book for lots of Wendy's goodies. And then, of course, we would love for you to join us at the Anaheim White House. We're doing an all day broadcast that starts with wake Up Call, then goes to Handle, then Gary and Shan and John Cobalt and Tim Conway Junior and wraps up with Moe Kelly. That's happening on Giving Tuesday. That's next two oh a week from today, December three. Come on out see us five am to ten pm. Donate on site. You can drop off your posta and sauce donations, and of course one hundred percent of your donation goes right to Katerina's Club to feed kids in Southern California. Can't wait to see you there. Heavy snowfalls expected as a strong winter storm moves through the central and southern Sierra Nevada. The National Weather Service has issued storm warnings winter storm warnings for Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon National Parks, and Mammoth Lakes. Mammoth Mountain could see three to five feet of snow. Mount Whitney could get over eight feet of snow. The Israeli Cabinet will vote today whether to approve a ceasefire deal with Hezbolah. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has approved the potential deal in principle. Will be getting the latest from Jerusalem with ABC stre Donna Miller in just a minute. Bab humbug, someone has vandalized the Ebenezer Scrooge tombstone featured in the nineteen eighty four version of A Christmas Carol starring George C.
Speaker 2: Scott.
Speaker 1: The tombstone was left in the cemetery after filming and had become a tourist attraction. Officials in Shrewsbury, England or still deciding if the shattered tombstone at Saint Chad's Church will be replaced. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem.
Speaker 2: So Jerdana.
Speaker 1: Yesterday when we talked, we talked about how a ceasefire deal was in the works but probably still weeks away.
Speaker 2: That timeline has been moved up.
Speaker 9: Wow, it has really moved up, and it's probably the first bit of really good news to report in more than fourteen months of this relentless and painful war. But it looks like Natagnell is prepared to put the US back speacefire with levinonto a vote in his security cabinet later today, and from what we understand sources telling ABC News, there is a majority of support and this cabinet is expected to approve a ceasefire. That means it could start as early as Wednesday morning, it's a sixty day seafire that would see Husbola forced to move about twenty miles north of Israel's border, beyond the Latani River, and it would also require the Israeli army to fully withdraw from southern Lebanon, and then the Lebanese Army along with UNIFIL, would be responsible for really policing southern Lebanon and keeping Husbala out. Even the US is set to play a role in monitoring the seasire.
Speaker 1: And as far as like what the two sides have to give up to come to a compromise. I would imagine that Israel wants out of Lebanon anyway. I don't they They don't want a long time.
Speaker 9: They they don't. But I think many people presume that the Israeli army would hold a security buffer. Certainly the residents of northern Israel wanted to see Israeli troops on the other side. It would give them a greater sense of security. But that's not going to happen, and so Israel the Prime Minister, he's really going to have to try to sell this deal to the residents of the north who've been you know, internally displaced now for more than a year, and they are fearful to go back, especially after the last few days where Osbala has shown that they still have capabilities. They can still fire dozens of rockets and drones on northern and even central Israel.
Speaker 1: And then who polices this to make sure that the two sides aren't firing at each other, because the ceasefires are so fragile.
Speaker 2: You know, just takes one rocket, took it out.
Speaker 9: Right, right. So the Lebanese Army, which did not play a major role policing the last agreement between the sides, is supposed to bolster its presence in southern Lebanon along with UNIFIL. And then again there's a committee that's going to be led by the US that will be watching and monitoring for violations. And Israel has signed an agreement on the side with the United States, which in essence, Washington is giving Israel backing for any major violations of the deal that are imminent or critical threats and giving Israel backing to go in and attack Hasbola that is across Lebanon, so it could be in southern Bay route, could be entire the Balbec Valley, or Southern Lebanon is all very concerned. You know, it does not want his Wola to come back into this area like it did twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Wait, did I just I'm not sure if I just heard you right? So if even if there's a cease fire, Israel could still fire on Hesbola positions.
Speaker 9: That's right. It Bola violates the deal. Oh okay, okay, going that, Yes, they violate the deal. They look like they're coming in.
Speaker 1: I got you, okay, all right, Well, hopefully next time we talked we'll have better news.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's we'll keep our fingers starts welling.
Speaker 6: It's good news.
Speaker 9: Yeah, all right, so for the next four hours, okay, texting.
Speaker 2: Name all right, thanks so much, shre Donna.
Speaker 1: The holiday shopping season kicks into high gear with Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday just days away.
Speaker 10: The US National Retail Federation forecasts that winter holiday sales will reach almost one trillion dollars in November and December, but the rate of spending growth is expected to be the slowest the country scene since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Sally Patterson says consumers are being more careful with their spending and will be hunting for deals. Target says it expects softer demand for things like electronics and home goods this holiday season. Anonymous tips have led to the arrest of nearly two dozen people in South LA for alleged illegal gambling, drug possession, and gun violations. The LAPED announced yesterday a warrant was served last week at an address on Figaroa Street in Your Century. They say investigators found gambling machines and illegal drugs, while two guns were recovered during a search. Most of the twenty two people busted were given citations and released. California may step in if the President elect should kill electric vehicle tax credits.
Speaker 4: Governor Newsom says the state could create its own rebate program to encourage zero emission vehicle purchases. Republican state Senator Roger Niello disagrees, argued the market to decide on its own.
Speaker 3: That would be a much better way to handle it, as opposed to exhausting state resources to fund that.
Speaker 4: Newsom says the program could be modeled on the state's old clean Vehicle rebate program, which funded nearly six hundred thousand new cars and trucks. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: President elect Trump's pick for borders are is headed to South Texas. Tom Homan is meeting today with Republican Governor Greg Abbott and lawmakers in Eagle Pass to talk about the border situation. Holman's also expected to take part in an event in Star County on land acquired by the State of Texas for additional border wall construction. The General Land Office has offered the land to the incoming administration for possible use as a deportation detention center. The European Space Agency has given the thumbs up for a plan for a robotic spacecraft to visit an asteroid. The plan is for the spacecraft to rendezvous with the asteroid in twenty twenty nine. The asteroid is about as wide as the Empire State Building is to The agency says if it were to hit Earth, it would cause wholesale destruction hundreds of miles from the crash site. Warren Buffett has continued his Thanksgiving tradition of giving away his money. He gave away more than one point one billion dollars in Berkshire Hathaway Stock to four of his family foundations yesterday. Buffett says he has no regrets about his decision in two thousand and six to start giving away his fortune. He's worth almost one hundred and forty eight billion dollars. He's given away sixty billion so far. Okay, quick warning for you as we head into the holidays. I know that when we talked to sometimes when we talk to Rich dumurror tech guy, or Joel Larsgard who's the host of how to Money on KFY, we talk about your money and how people are trying to get it away from you. I got this text message the other day and it says the USPS package has arrived at the warehouse and cannot be delivered due to incomplete address information. Please con firm your address in this link within twelve hours. And then it's got a link that you're supposed to click through to, and they really do a pretty decent job of making it look real.
Speaker 2: It's not. And as Rich and.
Speaker 1: Joel will tell you, if you do click through, then you have potential malware or god knows what they're going to do or get you to do, or try to scam you out of your money.
Speaker 2: But for the Holloways holidays, just you.
Speaker 1: Know, keep your keep your little antennas up, be watching for these kinds of things because it just ticks me off. They look legit and they're not. So if if and doubt, contact the party that's contacting you, but on their official websites, their official phone numbers don't click through to stuff. A small plane has hit a tree and crashed in Fullerton. The crash happened as the pilot tried to make an emergency landing at Fullerton Municipal Airport yesterday afternoon. Two people on board have moderate injuries. A federal judge says a San Jose State volleyball player can play in the upcoming women's Mountain West Conference tournament even though she's allegedly transgender. Nine players have sued challenging the conference's rules that allow transgender athletes to play. They claim it could be unsafe and unfair. Four teams have forfeited their games against San Jose State this season. President elect Trump has announced plans to slap new tariffs on imported goods from Mexico, Canada, and China. Trump said in a post on truth Social that his administration will impose twenty five percent tariffs on all Canadian and Mexican goods to boost border security and crack down on the flow of fentanyl. The tariffs on Chinese goods will be ten percent on top of tariffs already imposed during Trump's first term. At six o five, iight's handle on the news. President elect Trump is off the hook when it comes to classified documents and alleged efforts to overturn an election.
Speaker 2: But is it for good?
Speaker 6: Right now?
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to mad's national Ambassador Tara Repka Flores.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Tara morning.
Speaker 1: So we know that the holiday season is notorious for parties and holiday celebrations, and with that people are drinking. And there's nothing wrong with holiday celebrations. The problem comes and it's potentially deadly when people go to parties and then get behind the wheels. So Thanksgiving is said to be one of the most dangerous holidays on the roadways. When is it most dangerous, TARRA and how bad is the problem?
Speaker 7: I think that Wednesday evening is usually one of the most challenging times. In twenty twenty two, there were one hundred and eighty four fatal accidents on the evening before Thanksgiving. So MAD just really wants to remind everyone to plan ahead, make safety a priority. Plan for a sober driver or to take an alternate method of transportation.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the problem on that Wednesday evening is so bad they've even given it a name, and it's kind of a.
Speaker 2: Scary one.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 7: They call it blackout Wednesday. It is a very dangerous time to be on the road and it really requires all of us to be vigilant. Mad definitely recommends that if you see someone who seems to be driving impaired, that you call immediately. You could save someone's life. And again we asked everyone to plan ahead, never drive impaired. It's so important.
Speaker 1: And Tara, a drunk driver had a tragic and life altering effect on your life.
Speaker 2: Can you share that with us?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Absolutely. My son Alex Flrez was thirteen years old and in the eighth grade. He was walking to school on a Monday morning and a parent from the same school was driving her kids to school. All three of her kids were in the car and she hit Alec and he did not survive his injuries. Her blood alcohol was more than three times the legal limit when she was driving her kids to school, and you know, we lost our son that day.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry. And how long ago was that?
Speaker 7: It was in twenty nineteen, Alex would be a freshman in college this year.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and I you take that tragedy and then you go and try to help others. I mean that speaks volumes about you, Trek, because I just can't even imagine going through what you have.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you for that. I think that I'm trying to honor alex memory and you know, make sure that no one else has to experience that we have. But I can't do it alone. I need everybody's help, and it's just very important. It's very important that everyone makes a plan before their their festivities, you know, during the holiday even hosts can really play a really active role in keeping everyone safe. You know, offer your guess a place to stay if they're going to be drinking, or make sure that they have arranged for a ride home, that they have a sober driver, or that they are using a ride share service or something like that. So it takes all of us to really plan and be active in making sure that we're all safe as holiday season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you mentioned the party host, which I think was really is really key because I mean, we're all there to have a good time, and I've hosted several parties. I mean, you want people to be enjoying themselves and celebrating and cutting loose a little bit, but then also keep an eye on them, you know, watch them and if you see that somebody's had a couple of drinks and you go, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, let's get you an ober or.
Speaker 1: I love your idea of just saying, hey, why don't you just crash here and drive home in the morning.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. Party hosts even can the ride shares even have where you can provide a link and you can pay for people's rides and you can do that in advance. So I encourage people to look into that too. And for corporate holiday parties, I think that's a great idea as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and it's not only the drivers who have been drinking who are at risk. It what should everyone remember when they are driving during the holidays, even if you haven't been drinking.
Speaker 7: Yeah, stay vigilant, and you know, call and report impaired drivers if you if you see someone who seems like they're in paired, call an alert law enforcement right away so they can try and get that person off the road. It's really important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know I was driving one time Tara, and it was I was on my way from Sacramento up to Medford and there was somebody on the freeway, so obviously just weaving and weaving, and it was freaking me out, and I didn't I was scared to pass them. I didn't want to get off the road, but I wanted to like keep an eye on them. And I called nine one one, and you know, they stayed on the phone with me, and I'm like, okay, we're crossing, you know, we're passing here, and that kind of stuff. They stayed on the line with me so they could get to the person and get them off the road. Because it was really a dangerous situation. And I would imagine, and that was during the day, like it happened at night or something like that, when everybodybody else is out partying, I can imagine it's much more dangerous. The prevention part is a big part of keeping people safe. And you know, it's not always easy to talk to your kids about these kinds of things. But how should parents talk to their kids about drinking and driving.
Speaker 7: I think parents should have open and honest conversations with their children before Thanksgiving about making safe choices and modeling good choices, right, show your kids how to you know, how to arrange for a sober driver and talk to them about it, talk about what you're doing so that they have they have a good example of how to do that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And if you're not sure how to start a conversation, Mad has a handbook out there to help you out.
Speaker 7: They do The Power of parent caanbook is a great resource for parents.
Speaker 2: Okay. And do they get that at the on Mad's website?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's just is it mad dot org or mad dot com? Yes, Mad dot org. All right, And so before you get behind the weel this Thanksgiving holiday and all through the long holidays, we asked that you think about Tara, how profoundly her life has been affected by drunk drivers. Think about your family, your friends, your loved ones, and just don't do it. Tara, thank you so much for your time, and again, I'm so sorry for your loss, but I am inspired by how you're now turning around and helping.
Speaker 7: So thank you so much. We're we're so happy to be here and I'm glad that you're reminding people about how to be safe this holiday season.
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks again, Tara, have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Speaker 7: Thanks you too.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's get back.
Speaker 1: To some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA City schools have asked for help after another break in.
Speaker 4: Superintendent Alberto Carvaljo says the district has been targeted by one hundred and seventy one incidents of burglary and vandalism just in this semester. The latest happened at Wadsworth Elementary in South LA. It was broken into and heavily damaged. Garvaldo called a news conference outside the school and says he's angry because Wadsworth serves what he calls some of the most vulnerable and fragile students in LA. He's asked anyone with info on the Wadsworth case to call police. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man's been arrested in connection with an unprovoked attack on a homeless woman in Santa Monica. The man's accused of strangling the woman back on September twenty second. She also suffered trauma to her face. Witnesses say the woman, who was found in an alley, was repeatedly kicked and punched while she was on the ground. The man's been charged with attempted murder. He's doing court December eighteenth. The search is on for a woman who walked away from the female community re entry program in Santa Fe Springs. Authority say Christina Hammond was able to remove her ankle monitor yesterday and left it near her bed. Security video shows the thirty four year old woman walking out of the facility and climbing over a fence. She was wearing a gray jacket, gray sweatpants, gloves, and was carrying a blue bag. Hammond is serving a five year sentence for assault. So now they're saying to heat it up, not I sit down.
Speaker 3: A new study shows a hot bath is better for an athlete's body than an ice bath after exercise. It's from a report presented at the recent Integrated Physiology of Exercise conference in Pennsylvania. The study's lead author says, when you exercise intensely, muscle fibers are damaged in the hot water increases blood flow and that helps muscles repair themselves and get stronger. Other studies show ice water can relieve muscle soreness and can be best if there is an injury. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: Guess what time it almost is. It's the holidays. Actually, they've already arrived. At Disneyland Resort. KFI wants to give you the chance to enjoy the wonder, joy and magic of the season. You can experience World of Color, Season of Light, It's a nighttime spectacular at Disney California Adventure Park, or over at Disneyland Park, rediscover holiday classics like a Christmas fantasy parade. It's so much fun and so much more. Keep listening to KFI. We've got your chance to win a four pack of one day, one park tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure And I can tell you giving him away this week, So keep it tuned right here on KFI.
Speaker 2: Today's the day the busiest travel day of the year.
Speaker 1: According to tripa A, nearly eighty million people are expected to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday. That's about one point seven million more than last year. Southwest Airline says it expects Sunday will be its busiest travel day as holiday travelers return home. A judge in Van Nuys has postponed a decision on a request to re sentence Eric and Lylemanendez, who are serving life sentences for killing their parents in their home in nineteen eighty nine. The judge heard arguments from lawyers and two relatives yesterday, then said he needed time and rescheduled a hearing that was initially set for December eleventh to January thirtieth. Democratic challenger Derek Tran has declared victory in the race for the forty fifth Congressional district seat three weeks after the election. Trans lead is just five hundred and eighty one votes out of almost three hundred and fifteen thousand votes counted. That's a point two percent lead. Tran is running down seat Republican Congresswoman Michelle Steele. Let's say good morning to the host of How to Money on KFI. It's Joel Large Scarred Joel. I'm watching my doze. It's still up.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I mean everybody who is into cryptocurrency right now, they're probably pretty happy with themselves. And I get it, like it's nice to see your investment go up in value. I still I still just want to caution you, Amy, and want to caution everyone else out there, like do you remember what happened with the Super Bowl twenty twenty two, and like all those crypto commercials and then the subsequent crypto winter.
Speaker 2: Just just do be careful.
Speaker 5: Don't have too much exposure there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: And just so I'm sure that you are very worried about me, right, but I only have like two hundred dollars. I only have like two hundred dollars, and I'm still down because I put the money in and then it immediately I think we headed into that crypto winter when it was like worth two cents of share or something. But it's getting close to what my original investment was.
Speaker 5: Well, if we would dial back like twelve years and like going the way back machine kind of thing, and you had told all of us that this cryptocurrency thing and then that all the subsequent fads and stuff that were attached to it was going to happen, and that people were actually going to say, this is a viable asset class, and I'm excited about like investing in it for.
Speaker 6: The long term.
Speaker 5: I think we all would have laughed probably twelve years ago. The fact that it has staying power is fascinating, and I do think there's some there are some underlying reasons in particular for something like bitcoin, but I just want people to be really careful because it still is kind of untested in many ways. It's still relatively new, and you can't take like three years worth of data and extrapolated, unlike the stock market, where we have a lot more data and we have kind of underlying valuations that make sense for companies that produce products and services that we use.
Speaker 1: Yes, so be very careful. Here's something else to be very careful about. Holidays are coming up. People may do a little bit of overspending, which I know you already recommend against. But the credit cards that they're offering, their interest rates are ginormous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, So these are store cards in particular, right, Like, I'm not an anti credit card guy. I think that credit cards can if you use them well, Like they can help you earn rewards, they can help you like just I really like credit cards for people who pay them off on time and in full every single month, and I've been able to get free flights or two percent cash back on other purchases, and so I like them. But these store cards are the worst kind of credit card, and they're the ones that I want people to mostly avoid. So there are a couple of exceptions. I think the Amazon and the Target credit cards are a little bit different, and especially if you are hyper loyal to one of those retailers. I think getting that credit card can make sense because you get five percent cash back whenever you spend those at those retailers. I've got the Amazon card and I use it just to shop at Amazon. But all of these other store cards. It's kind of crazy when the while the FED is cutting interest rates, these cards are saying we're gonna raise interest rates on you. So instead of like twenty two percent interest rate, a lot of these store cards are charging thirty five, thirty six percent interest five. Yeah, it's it's staggering. And the other thing is that they might say, hey, there's a zero percent intro offer, and you might say, no brainer, let me get this gap card, put three hundred bucks on it, and then I'm not gonna have to pay any interest on it for like twelve months or something like that. Well, many of these cards charge something it's called deferred interest, so that means you're gonna be retroactively charged interest for the entire time span going back to day one of the promotional period. If you don't pay it off before the end of that promo period, so a lot. It sounds good on the front end and then it can leave you like hurting in a big way.
Speaker 9: On the back end.
Speaker 2: Read the fine print most definitely.
Speaker 5: And just the store cards, like what you're gonna get ten percent off your order today? You're gonna save twenty or thirty bucks? Like, it's just not worth it. There are so much better credit cards out there with better offers and better sign up bonuses. Like I just don't want you to mess with store cards.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go from Joel, do not mess with store cards. Here's something else that can be a mess, and that's making returns. And I think we talked about this before that some companies are letting you not return your item, but you still get the credit back for it. But there are some things you need to know about this because it's not just a flat policy.
Speaker 5: Sure, yeah, so this is interesting, like we're there were some recent stats from this company called return pro and I guess all they do is deal with returns and they gather statistics on how retailers are processing returns and they found that roughly sixty percent of retailers have an internal policy, which means they don't tell us about it. That allows us to keep some of the things that we buy when we're trying to return them. And basically what they're saying is that sorry, that that product's actually pretty cheap. We're not going to be able to resell it. There's nothing we can do if you return it, and so we'll give you the money back and you can keep it, don't bank on it. There are certain retailers that are starting to say, m if you're a perpetual returner, we are going to put the put the kaibash on you being able to return things so frequently, so watch out. There are certain companies saying, listen, if you are an over returner, we're not okay with that.
Speaker 1: So and it could change the policy. Like one time when you return something, they may say, don't send it back. The next time they may say, yeah, send it back.
Speaker 9: That's right.
Speaker 5: And then if you exactly and it's really hard to tell on the front end, I think I want people to know what the return policy is for the place they're shopping and then and it varies, and it often varies too during this time of year. Like return policies often change, right, and there's a little more leeway given, Like items purchased between now and Christmas Eve can be returned sometimes through January fifteenth, sometimes through the end of January. So you just have to be on it when it comes to returns, or you might be holding onto stuff and you might be out the money for things that you thought you could return. You thought you had a bigger window, but you might not actually have had that bigger window.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I ran into that when I got a a phone charger and didn't return it in time.
Speaker 5: And like, I think it's really important on the front end to say, how serious am I about this thing that I'm buying, because am I willing to go through the hassle and you know, take it to the UPS store or something like that, or to the local whole foods to return for Amazon stuff, Am I actually going to do that? Or is it just gonna like waste away in a junk drawer or something like that. So I just maybe a little more certainty on the front end that this is an item that I think I'm actually going to keep and use. I think can just cut down on the return hassle too.
Speaker 1: Okay, And for more great advice on spending and saving your money, you can listen to Joel at how to Money right here on KFI. It's Sundays from noon to two. You can also follow Joel for some great financial tips and advice at how to Money Joel Joel Larsgard. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and we'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 5: You too, sounds good?
Speaker 2: Thanks Amy, all right, thank you.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County South end from KFI, A chance of showers this morning, than rain likely this afternoon. Highs in the sixties just fifties for the Antelope Valley. Showers continue off and on tonight with lows in the forties and fifties. Then tomorrow forty percent chance of showers in the morning, a slight chance of showers for the afternoon. Highs will be in the sixties, becoming partly cloudy with highs in the sixties to mid seventies. For Thanksgiving Day, it's fifty one in Anaheim, fifty seven Redondo Beach, fifty eight in El Segundo, and fifty five in Canyon Country. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.