Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty, and.
Speaker 2: Remember you listen any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app. You know, I made a bold prediction yesterday, and it turns out I might be wrong, And I hate to admit fault. I hate to say that I'm wrong, but I'm willing to man up and say, yep, I may have misread the situation. Yesterday. I said, when it came to the breach, I'm gonna call it a breach chat gate. I don't know what do you have to throw a gate on something, signal gate, whatever it is. When we had a reporter that was added to a signal messaging app chat that was discussing the attacks on the HOUTHI rebels in Yemen, I said, somebody's gonna lose their job for this. I thought it might be Mike Waltz, who it sounds like he's the guy that brought the journalist in, Jeffrey Goldberg from the Atlantic. They brought him in, he added him to the chat, and I said, you know, that is a that is such a colossal screw up that somebody's gonna have to pay the price for this. Yesterday, it sounds like the President has said, no, everything's great, even saying it was a learning moment, he learned his lesson. He's a really good guy. Kelly Mayor is the News Nation White House correspondent. You see her making waves whenever she's talking with the Press Secretary Carolyn Levitt and Kelly, it's great to have you on the program. This has to be a thank you. Oddly surreal moment when you're talking with the Press secretary about this, because yeah, yeah, it sounds like what she's saying is there's no classified information. There were no war plans. But I mean I saw the texts. I'm looking at them as we speak. That sure looks war planny and confidentialistic to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like the debate today in Washington is over classified or not classified. And I was just talking with some of my sources in the Defense Department and they said, this is classified. It's not even debatable. And then we are also listening into a hearing happening in the House House, which is on global threats. Is what the hearing's about. But there are Democrats mostly questioning the top intelligence officials on the panel. The Director of National Intelligence SULCI Gabbert, the CIA director John Radcliffe, and the FBI director Cash Piteuse. And we just heard Rep. Castro saying this is a lie to the American people to say this is not classified. He says, this is classified information. The White House is pushing back on this article again this morning, because we just saw that The Atlantic published more messages just because of the pushback that they were getting from the White House that this wasn't authentic. And the White House is saying that this wasn't war plans, there was no timing, no locations, it wasn't classified. The wording that Gabbard used in the hearing just now is it was candid and sensitive, but it wasn't classified.
Speaker 2: I guess I would have to disput some of what they're arguing here. I mean, it says the attacks will happen over the next seventy two hours, so it says we are a go for launch, giving the exact time in the text messages, and for the for a president who's already had some issues with classified versus non classified documents. That and Kelly, I'm sure you're like the rest of us. You probably have a box or two of classified documents in your bathroom. As well. I know I'd like to sit on the commode and review some of those things, including the Kennedy and Epstein files for the president in the past who said he can just simply say not classified and it's no longer classified, which we all learned is not the case. Have they put painted themselves into an awkward position now where by saying that the communication was not classified, now Goldberg can go ahead and publish this information without fear of retribution.
Speaker 3: And he is. We just saw him release more of these methods this morning, saying, okay, if you're saying this isn't classified and going to release it. But you've even heard Caroline Lovett, she was quoted in his article Justice Morning saying it's not classified, but this is sensitive and argue the release against the release in a statement. And that was interesting to see, and I think you're seeing in the hearing as well, some of the pushback on haig Seth really that his messages were the most stamming of anyone. Waltz might have been the one that added Goldberg to the chat, but haig Seth was really the one that discussed the war plans, the attack plans, the timing when this was happening and broke it down. So there it seemed as though even Gabbered in her testimony today said she didn't think it was classified under the ODNI guidance, but or she said it was maybe classified under ODE and I guidance. But in terms of what they were going off of, she says, we're going off of Department of Defense guidance, and she was kind of pushing that responsibility on to them. So whether or not he becomes the fall guy in all of this, but right now, as you mentioned, the President is standing by his national security team and standing by Waltz in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so far, it doesn't look like there's going to be any sort of a fall guy here. Kelly Mayer is the News Nation White House correspondents. We talk about the shell game of who did what, what's classified, and what's not when it comes to this journalist was added to the Signal app chat messaging about the bombing in Yemen. I continue to flip through this. You talked about some of the damning things that were said, whether it was Pete heggs At or others. Jade Vance wasn't very flattering towards some of the European nations either. Hegsith said he also has loathing for European free loading. Is this likely to have consequences when it comes to foreign relations with some of those European nations?
Speaker 3: It really could. I mean, this is all European allies, our European allies are talking about. There was one of my White House colleagues was covering it for Europe and asked a question of the president. And that's all Europe wanted to hear about. Is on the papers over there in Britain. They feel as though Vance does not support the UK, doesn't support European allies, and he is next in line for the presidency. What does that mean for the rest of Europe. That's a big question. And that was really what was revealed in that chat. Not only that apologize I'm on my way to the White House and there's just loud noises, But not only that, but Vance in these messages as well also kind of showed his divide with President himself, showing that they're not always in agreement. So there's that part of it as well.
Speaker 2: Kelly Mahor, the News Nation White House correspondent, One final question here, Kelly, and then I'll let you go into the White House. That's a flex I never thought i'd here is. Are we seeing any sort of division among the ranks of the GOP. Obviously the Democrats are going to rally around and say this is a really bad thing by the administration. Are there any members of the GOP that are breaking ranks and going, yeah, this was a total blunder and an unforced error.
Speaker 3: Well, I think when it first broke you were seeing some of them say, yeah, this was a mistake, like they could have handled this better. Let's have an investigation. And now it seems as though they're really focused on having a bipartisan investigation. The Senate Armed Service to the German telling us yesterday that they are going to have this investigation. They want to ask for all the messages and then they'll look into this to see if there's any consequences or where the fault lies. So right now, it does seem like Republicans, at least on the surface publicly or saying that there needs to be a bipartisan investigation and are keeping it pretty much, you know, status quo. But it might be more behind the scenes happening as well.
Speaker 2: All right, Kelly, great talking with you. Head on into the White House. I know it can be a bit perguise to get in there, so good luck, Jilli Mayor the News Nation White House correspondent joining us here. Well, curious how this is going to play out. I don't know, Gang, you know, I said, I thought somebody. I thought somebody was going to lose their job over this, and then it looked like nobody was going to lose their job over this. Anybody feeling any different? I mean, anybody gonna lose their job over this? The President says no. But at some point, if you start getting some pressure from the White House, excuse me, from Congress, then the White House might have to throw up a sacrificial lamb. I don't know, you know, yesterday I was I said, mark it down, bank it that somebody's gonna lose her job. Today, I'm feeling about fifty to fifty, which is a little more than I was feeling when the show started. I was thinking, I was there was still about a ten percent chance. But I don't know. Man Trump has this way of just making trouble slide right off of him. But this one isn't on him. This one is on the others that were in that chat, and he may be more willing to allow a sacrificial lamb as long as it keeps some of the pressure off of him. We will watch how this plays out. How confident are you when you go to the store. Well, as you know, we have a consumer confidence index that comes out once a month, and even when things go well, if the perception is that things are not going well, consumer confidence kind of comes down a little bit. In fact, that was the case if you took a look at some of the numbers during portions of the Biden administration, we saw high inflation, consumer confidence dropped, wages were up. We saw some other economic indicators that were positive, including the stock market that was doing very well. But generally speaking, we go to the grocery store, we see the price of eggs cresting seven eight dollars a dozen, and our confidence right on down the toilet. Well, as you might imagine, when we have the tariff hokey pokey, then people feel like there's a lot of volatility, and volatility scares people. Eggs are still very high. We still have a high cost of other protein products. We'll get to those here in a minute. And if you haven't noticed, it's not like your energy bills are coming down, So we are getting hit boom boom boom, another bill, another bill, another bill, and the prices keep going up, and it's gonna be a hot summer and you're gonna be running that air conditioner and your power prices are higher than they were before, and how are you gonna run that air condition All that stuff, right, and so consumer confidence is starting to dissipate. Even it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a sign that the economy is sinking. It means that people are worried that the economy is sinking. In fact, I think it was Yeah, Bloomberg was discussing.
Speaker 4: This, These are bad numbers. It was expected that we would see it drop to ninety four, but seeing it drop to ninety two point nine, that is the lowest since the middle of the pandemic back in twenty twenty one, twenty so that is extremely bad news. Now, the other thing that we're seeing is that the prior month, the February number was revised up from ninety eight point three to one hundred point one, So this makes it even bigger drop.
Speaker 2: But also remember they revised these numbers based on these surveys, which means that this big drop this time around could be revised up. Next month could also be revised down. But I'm just saying that it may not be quite as bad as they're making it out to be, but it may be worse.
Speaker 4: The present Situation index actually drops to one thirty six five from one thirty eight to one, and expectations dropped to sixty five to two.
Speaker 2: All right, these are all numbers that mean nothing to you, and I I mean unless you are some sort of an investor that pays very close attention to the intricacies of the consumer price index, the consumer confidence, the other price in whatever else that it may matter to you. But for most of us, we go I don't know what is sixty two. I don't know he got a ninety two and a sixty five and a one thirty seven, and nobody really knows what it means, right, I get it. Here's what we are seeing though, that is freaking some people out. The consumer optimism is gone. Walmart has lowered their their profit forecasts. Right Target, We already know Target has been hurting. You can argue about whether it has to do with being woke, or DEI initiatives or anything else. Like that, but target sales are dropping, Macy's, Best Buy, Abercrombie, Fitch, Dollar General also getting cautious about their expectations. Home and car sales are dropping, although it doesn't seem to be loosening up the housing market at all, and certainly your housing continues to be very expensive. So all of these things mark uh, these are bad markers. And those bad markers lead another survey to say that the probability of a recession is approaching fifty percent. Now where this gets very interesting is there could be if we have tariffs going to effect, and we have taxes go up, and we have inflation and this sort of thing, that would be that would be a direct cause for a recession. But we can also worry ourselves into a recession. For instance, consumer confidence drops. You're not you're you don't know where the next paycheck is going to come from, or you don't know how much of that next paycheck is going to have to go to necessities like your your power bill, your mortgage, Well you know what your mortgage is gonna be, but uh you you know, uh, some of these other food costs, whatever else it might be. So you go, I'm I'm not going to spend my disposable income on a new TV this time around. I've got the money. I want a new TV, but I don't know what's going on with the cost of power this year. Is that gonna go up? And if that goes up and it's a hot summer, I want to make sure that I'm taking care of I don't know what's gonna go on with the clothing I need to put on my kids for next school year, because if Tariff's go into effect and all of a sudden, clothing starts going up in price because it's imported and I have to buy American made clothing and that might be more expensive anyway, then you go, my back to school bill is gonna be something I've never seen before. So you are starting to squirrel away your acorns. You're starting to put them away. And when you start to put those acorns away, that means you're not spending the money, which means that these different companies start to see a downturn. They start to see their expectations come down, their realizations come down, and that means, oh, we're gonna have to shutter this store, We're gonna have to lay off this many employees. We have to cut these hours, whatever it might be, which means there's less money filtering through the system, and all of a sudden, we do start to see a downturn. We do start to see a recession. We see a contraction simply out of concerns about the volatility that we have surrounding these real issues. Whether those real issues materialize or not, our concerns over those issues manifest into effectively a recession. Now. One area where you are continuing to see the hurt is when you go to the grocery store and you try to buy that burger. I don't know if you've seen the price of beef lately. It's getting a bit wild. Fox News was talking about that and they mentioned that some places are starting to freak out. A butcher shop hasn't seen their customers balk at higher prices because they see the prices, they see the inflation, they see that everything is going up, and so the butcher shop says, well, that's good. People understand, and yet I'm not happy about it. I don't know about you. I like to buy my I like to buy things in bulk and throw it in the freezer. But I got a room in the freezer. I'll buy a larger quantity and then I will freeze it, right, get a little bit cheaper. I don't like it when I see the price of beef five six dollars a pound. That's crazy. That's exactly what we're starting to see. Cattle herd is experiencing a down cycle. Cattle inventories are at historically low levels, according to Bovine Experts. A Department of Agriculture reporting in late January, the US farms had let me see a decline of one percent of their beef inventory. So they say they're killing smaller cattle. They're trying to kill them faster to create the supply that demand is needing, and they keep the larger cattle around I guess, and just kill the small ones faster. It is interesting too, that demand remains high, which is why they have to continue to slaughter the cattle. If your supply is low, it's because you slaughter too many cattle and you didn't breed enough. But it's only because demand is high enough that you end up slaughtering more cattle. Right, I mean, really, when we talk about supply and demand issues, we are talking in in agriculture. It is very quick. It is is on the nose. All right, Enough rambling about that stuff. How about something fun. Get this. Think about the last time that you lost something. Right, could be your keys, could be your wallet, purse, cell phone. And think about something and how frustrating that is when you lose it, and how relieved you are when you find it. Now, think about the time that you found something. Maybe you found twenty dollars. I once bought a desk at a garage sale and my wife used that desk for four or five years, and she asked me to move it one day and my buddy comes over and he says, I'll help you move the desk and we pulled the drawers out. Six thousand dollars was behind the drawer in the bottom of that desk. We'd owned this desk for years with six thousand dollars sitting in there, just cash. Evidently it had been used at somebody's business and they're paid casht or fell back there. But the business was gone and the people that sold that were selling it on a state sale. I couldn't track them down, and so we bought a TV. So think about the time that you found something big, or think about the time that you lost something big. You ever misplaced something, something, something major, or something of tremendous value. You always hear these stories about the kids in Poland that are out playing in the woods and then they run across the World War two a bomb or something that's undetonated. In fact, I think, didn't we have that. Yeah? I think I was in San Diego and they had the kids about ten years ago. I think kids were they discovered some unexploded ordinance and they had according everything off. That's scary. Now, imagine you're an astronomer and you find something really impressive. That's exactly what has happened now as astronomers have officially declared we found moons, and you say, wow, where are these moons that you just recently found? They must be light years away for you to find over one hundred new moons and have never discovered them in the past, these must be these must be a long long ways away, and you can Nope. A new study found that Saturn has one hundred and twenty eight new moons in orbit and they've been there the whole time that we've been staring at the skies. Yeah, Saturn now officially as two hundred and seventy four moons. It's got more moons than any other planet in our Solar system. The second is Jupiter. Jupiter is ninety five. So these moons they say were probably formed by cosmic smashups. They sent debris into Saturn's orbit about one hundred million years ago. Galactically speaking, that's pretty young. But that's been a while. So this team of astronomers finds these new moons and then I have to do a bunch of tests to make sure that sure enough they are new moons, and then they're able to announce it to the world. So one hundred and twenty eight new moons that they didn't observe in the past. I should, however, clarify before we bag too much on the astronomers that misplaced moons. Some of these moons are small, only a couple of miles wide, and when you compare that to our moon, which is a couple thousand miles wide, it makes it a little harder to detect. It's not as though they could simply point their telescope at Saturn and go, there's one, there's one, there's one. Indeed, they had to use some more sciencing in order to discover that these were there. It wasn't observed with the eye. It was observed with the math, which always blows my mind that astronomers can pick things out using the math. What you could see with your eye, if you were in a certain a certain location around the world, is you could see this weird blue spiral in the sky that looked ominously like a portal to another dimension. What was it?
Speaker 1: This amazing blue spiral was seen floating over Europe yesterday. Time lapse video was recorded in Croatia. People from the United Kingdom to Poland reported seeing it. UK's National Mediaorological and Climate Agency says it was likely caused by a SpaceX rocket launch earlier that day, or it's a wormhole. They say the spiral was the result of the rockets frozen exhaust plumes spinning in the atmosphere and reflecting sunlight.
Speaker 2: That's from Katla. I mean, that's a cool explanation way to explain it away, But I'm telling you I've watched enough sci fi to know it's exactly what a time portal looks like. So I mean, use your brains, people, do your research. If it looks like a time portal and it smells like a time portal. It's probably not SpaceX exhaust reflecting off the sunlight. I don't buy it. You know, who could have told us exactly what it was. The people in the space station. The problem is they're all in the sick bay. Astronauts on the ISS are being plagued by persistent rashes, unusual allergies, and a variety of infections. No, it's turning into a giant swingers party up there. Come to find out, it's because the lab is too clean. If if anybody happens to talk to my wife, do not tell her that this is a possibility. It is enough trouble for me to try to get her to clean up after dinner. Lord knows, if she thinks there's such a thing as too clean, she'll tell me she's doing it for my health. They need bacteria, they say, our bodies need that bacteria. You've probably heard the You've heard the advice about don't use too much antibacterial soap because your body needs that bacteria. We need the germs in order to fight off infections, things like that. So there's a microbial imbalance on a space station because it's too clean, and scientists are hypothesizing that cultivating a diverse set of microbes on the International Space Station could improve astronaut health. They say there's a big difference between exposure of healthy soil from gardening versus just stewing in our own filth, which is kind of what happens if we're in a strictly enclosed environment with no ongoing input from those healthy sources of microbes from outside. So what we're saying is if if the environment is too clean, it can't set off, it can't offset how disgusting you are. Kind Of like my mom used to say growing up, God made dirt, so dirt don't hurt. Get outside play. Come to find out, there's another health benefit other than just our mental health of being outside. It's the dirt actually helps us stay cleaner from the bad bacteria. Who knew? Always excited when we get to welcome in, Gary and Shannon, did you guys have to catch a strel that beard transplants are taking off? Because I'm fascinated by.
Speaker 5: This this, uh says a man with a beard.
Speaker 2: Well, so I think there's an opportunity here for you. Okay, all right, so babyface, Gary, are you.
Speaker 5: Going to donate yours.
Speaker 2: But I was gonna make you a deal, Okay, I was gonna be a friends and family discount on that kind of find out there there are a number of these hair restoration places that that already do uh, hair restoration. And what they're saying is they can do like they do with with these Look at look at those plugs. Huh look at look at that hair restoring. Look how well that's gone over right? That was just ten years ago that I got that done. I need a little touching up.
Speaker 5: Don't you have like a brown sharpie or something you can could that's not bad?
Speaker 2: Maybe uh, maybe some of that spray exactly. That's what I was thinking about. Maybe I can work on a deal here, because you have got the loveliest locks. I mean you you you look, you look brilliant. I've got the bed. Obviously you can't grow that or you would. Maybe there's a chance here that I could swap you a few follicles. What's happening is they're they're taking follicles from the back of the head, just like they do with with the hair transplants, and they're taking follicles from the back and the sides, and then rather than putting it on the top where you've got your Meryl pattern boldness. They're dropping it into your face. The composition of facial hair is different than the composition of hair on your melon. So I don't know if it I don't know if it's really working out so well for the people. But I've seen photos before and after photos, and some of them have that that scruffy Orlando Bloom Pirates of the Caribbean look, and then when they're done, they've got that whole idris elbow look, which, let's face it, cono and I can do that others.
Speaker 5: Why are you looking directly at me? I don't understand.
Speaker 6: Gary, listen if I if I listen, you can hear it from rubbing my beard against the microphone.
Speaker 5: You can hear that, right, No, no, no, I was disgusting.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it was. It was vile. When when you when you tuck your kids in at night, did they go daddy? Your face scratches?
Speaker 6: Sometimes? Maybe once every three weeks? Yeah, Is that how long it takes you to get scruff It's three weeks, No, but it'll take it. I go a couple of days between shaves, is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I didn't know that that's a new fun.
Speaker 6: She sits right across from me, She's four feet away from my face, and she can't even see it when I shave.
Speaker 5: No, I don't don't, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see, and I get that five o'clock shadow that my that my father used to have. I've known guys that can grow like a full beard in a week, kind of thing. I can't do that.
Speaker 5: I have a brother in law who shaves twice a day.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's very hairy.
Speaker 2: They could sell some beard full Is he a woodsman?
Speaker 5: Does he have an a woodsman?
Speaker 2: Don't stereotypes punch.
Speaker 5: I totally view you, by the way, as a woodsman.
Speaker 2: Hey, fun fact. So I planned this little vacation to my home town before before Oscar reached out and said can you cover for Bill? And I said, well I can. I can do it, but I have to do it from northern Michigan. So I was telling kno that as soon as we got off the air today, no joke, I'm gonna go tap some trees to pull some maple syrvice.
Speaker 5: This is exactly what I envisioned.
Speaker 2: Stereotype.
Speaker 5: I love it. You're gonna tap those trees with your bare hand like I can picture what. I can picture what you're wearing. I can picture all of it. Is that weird Yes, flannel flannel, a.
Speaker 6: Lot of and like like rough, like scratchy, itchy flannel, like real flannel, not like that soft cotton bs but like a real man's flannel flannel.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, far.
Speaker 5: Booth flannel boots.
Speaker 2: I have boots on.
Speaker 5: You're damn right, you do, I do. You're damn right.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm wearing, legit boots right there too. Yeah, that man right there.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's a man.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: You don't wear snake guards, do you? Though, No, we don't really have snake I guess you guys.
Speaker 5: How long is this a deliverance trip in Michigan?
Speaker 2: It's uh. I think I got ten days left. It'll be all next week too, which means I gotta I gotta tap that tree, I gotta pull some sap and I'm gonna have to boil it down in a hurry, and then then I can sell you some of my syrup.
Speaker 5: Oh, we would totally trade.
Speaker 2: I could trade Gary for some hair follicles.
Speaker 5: I just I didn't realize I just got my hair cut yesterday. I would have saved some for you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah, do that. At the very least I could glue yours on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that'd be I'm sure that would look great.
Speaker 2: It looks special, all right. Well, good luck with the with a great program. I'm looking forward to it, guys. Let's talk to you tomorrow. Thanks, thank you Chris Maryland for Bill handleka if I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.