Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now?
Speaker 1: How you doing out there? It's me Tigger, I am Doc Wayne Duck.
Speaker 3: It's me Bunkers keep bobcat All right, y'all?
Speaker 2: Is it rate your favorite firefly you desire?
Speaker 1: Hold old Knock Gud. My name is Jim Cummings and welcome to Tuned In.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, everybody to another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. I'm producer Chris, joined as always by the legend himself, mister Jim Cummings.
Speaker 5: Hey, how are you doing today?
Speaker 6: Sir?
Speaker 1: It's another Dad Paradise, like I always say, and it's always true.
Speaker 5: It sure is. And we have a very special guest for you.
Speaker 1: Cuta yes, Jeff Glenn Bennett. Accept no substitute. Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Just happened in the neighborhood Jeff Bennett.
Speaker 1: And the crowd went wild.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you are the epitome of a joke that was thrown at me when I very first started, because I was like clean up guy on Dumbo Circus and that I'd be the janitor or the literally you know, or the big baker or you know something. And and my old buddy Ron Goet cast of thousands, that's you, cast of thousands. You know, whenever you see at the end of a movie plus a cast of thousands, it's probably him.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: That's funny because yeah, I mean after like we were just saying thirty yeah, thirty plus years. I mean when I came to town, you were you were the man.
Speaker 2: You were like, that's right. And who's who's who's doing that part?
Speaker 7: Jim Cummings really and and who's who's doing what that would be Jim Commings.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, those two parts that I gotta I gotta watch this, Jim Comings.
Speaker 7: I gotta see what's going on, see how we do this, because I did not know you.
Speaker 1: You did just fine.
Speaker 7: We did.
Speaker 2: Okay, we ain't worried about this guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, we ain't worried about him.
Speaker 7: But it was I remember, you know, it was the first thing that we worked on together.
Speaker 2: Was probably bonkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah we were Jitters, yeah, I remember it well. Do Yeah, a.
Speaker 2: Very shy dog. It was a little porky like, but yes, Jitters a dog and Roderick Lizard. Yeah it was as well.
Speaker 7: He was a very he was just a very sort of I was thinking of Olivier when I did it, because I would go up at the end of all my lines. I remember the old interview that he had, David Frost or somebody, yes, and.
Speaker 2: They said, why is it you always seem to have this.
Speaker 7: Speech rhythm where at the end of the old lines you tend to go up at the end of your line.
Speaker 2: This is I do not go up at the end of my lines. I was like, that was like the inspiration for there we go. But it's just like you.
Speaker 7: I'm sure the things that you watched, you know you, yeah, you would just go like I think Carnage was yeah, Brenner meets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you'll Brenner, and I think Charlebody yeah, Charles Bronson and Brenner Yeah, yeah, he was he was. Yeah, you wouldn't have wanted to see the child that they produced, but he sounded like, don't carnage. Don't carnage all they are and then I don't and then you don't. Yeah, I make everybody else roll it.
Speaker 2: But that was that was it.
Speaker 7: It was like, you know, you never knew where the inspiration was gonna come from. But ye know, I wonder if if you put this person in this person and.
Speaker 1: Together, yeah you know, yeah, do you do that? Is that one are your tricks?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean that was what I would do with with Yeah, a bunch of different characters. They just ended up being hybrids of people that I grew up watching or or or it was like somebody said, hey, you know this is this character is kind of like a you know, I specialized in seventies seventies character actors for the most arts.
Speaker 2: Just like he's kind of like a kind of like a Don Knots or something. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh, I would just go rid into doing to die and because they watched him so much growing up, and he made me laugh and the guy won about twelve Emmys.
Speaker 1: In a row, barn Then I'd give you like two syllables of Andy. Then you're good for another five minutes, now, Barney Well, and then he'd be off on it. Yeah, right, right, the legendary the outtakes. Oh my god, well I can remember. I want to repeat myself, but you and I would piss off Charlie Adler on and off occasionally Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: Just cut to the chase, say the line for gods to kill you, to say the line they're paying you.
Speaker 1: Come on, Jesus, what time is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, and I'm alone in my closet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, at home.
Speaker 2: I got to be somewhere in five minutes. Your mother's ass come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's calling you up, Jeff, it's taken you forever. Let's go, let's do this. Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I remember the show that the three of us. I think that was the first time I worked with both of you. I was maybe Tailsman text text ten Star. Yeah, it was Pith Possum and texting Star, the Oli Possum.
Speaker 1: I've got them written down because they were they were. They didn't come up in your bio, and I'm going, wait a minute, I distinctly remember those.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Yeah I don't. I don't either, But you know what, what was weird? That was an odd little time. Yeah, you know, an animation and nobody knew exactly what the hell they were wanting to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like it came out of a lot of It's kind of like Cartoon Network, you know, the things that came out of Cartoon Network at the time, like Johnny Bravo and Chicken and Powerpuff Girls and all that. Yeah did he was kind of doing some of that with these shorts. The Maker started out as a short, Yes, and the pith possum thing was that was those were shorts and everything.
Speaker 2: And I think that was Bill cop right, that was Bill cop who did think?
Speaker 7: So who was he was a character himself.
Speaker 1: He himself was Bill wherever you are?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: But I remember we that was. That was an interesting time too because I had just started. I was just asks Johnny Bravo and I literally had an audition like down the street for Text ten Star right after that, and I was like, so, what do you want for this character? He's like he's like a he's you know, he's like a young Elvis.
Speaker 2: He's doing like a young Elvis.
Speaker 1: Was just what you wanted to hear.
Speaker 2: I just did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I did it. I was standard Elvis a little while ago.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, And I was like, well, what are the odds. There's no way I'm going to end up doing both of them. So I'm just gonna you know, there's only so many ways you can do Elvis. I'm like, you want older young or yeah, the toilet what you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: So now he was like, I want young. I was like, okay. So I ended up doing him pretty much the same way at.
Speaker 7: And then he comes through like two weeks later after we start doing it because he cast.
Speaker 2: Me and it was and he's like, so it's this Johnny Bravo thing I keep hearing about and and is it Elvis? Are you doing Elvis? No?
Speaker 1: Well kind of you said Carl Perkins, you were doing Carl, You're doing Wayne Newton.
Speaker 2: I was doing a touch just mostly Wayne, mostly Wayne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got myself into a little uh so whatever became of that, I mean, well not much.
Speaker 7: Johnny went on, Yeah, and text didn't well that's what happened with that.
Speaker 1: Well that could have happened anyway, but yeah, with or without yeah, Elvis.
Speaker 2: I think that's part of why they just didn't remember those.
Speaker 1: Roles, that's right. What about Pith Seriffly? What about Pith, Yes, superhero tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And I was just you know, that was just your yes, say the top.
Speaker 1: Superhero kind of guess kind of. I always thought it like he was double do Wright's cousin, right right, because that was like standard hero for a.
Speaker 2: While, exactly get him exactly. Yeah, oh my god, yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 7: I remember you cracked me up. What was the what was the character you played on that? There was like the Orson Wells thing that you were.
Speaker 2: Doing, oh for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was only for a.
Speaker 2: Couple of episodes, but be yes, I remember.
Speaker 1: It's gone. All the robe is gone, all pooty, I must.
Speaker 8: Change pooty and stinky and stinky.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 7: I just remember I lost it because yeah, you know that was We had a great cast, Yeah, we did. And I think Charlie was like Marth about what was the one where he was? Was it earthworm Gym? Where he was? Where was he professor monkey? For a head, Oh that must have been Earthworm? That was Earthworm Jim, Yeah, yeah, professor, which was another sort of you know, he's a superhero but he's a worm.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, that was yeah Dan Castle.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, but it is so like you Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh man, we've had way too much fun over the years.
Speaker 2: I know, and I know I would say between the two of us we might have a few credits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think you might be onto.
Speaker 7: Something came up to me one day, Maurice LaMarsh and we happen to be at the same album record store, oh, just looking through vinyl, and he said, do you realize you have like over fifteen hundred credits?
Speaker 2: And I was like, no, no, I don't. I haven't been like watching get up and go to work.
Speaker 1: Look, I just get up and go to work.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, And he's like, no, you you have over fifteen hundred credits, just like that's not that's you know whatnot that you mentioned.
Speaker 2: I guess it is.
Speaker 1: It's a hell of a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For I like, I have one hundred and fifty, so fifteen hundred's gotta be good times five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows.
Speaker 4: What really stood out to me looking through your career is how many shows that you'll voice like fifteen twenty characters on like like Dave the Barbarian for example. I love that show and you played like I think, like fifteen different characters. It was like just going through all the credits, it's.
Speaker 2: Like, which is often who whoa?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean remember when you did it, and I'm like yeah, and like it was like one of.
Speaker 4: A lot of them are like you know, a one line character or something like that. You know, like it's like you know, you'll be playing the background characters exactly literally literally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I wanted to ask you, how do you just like keep coming up with new voices? Like how do you have all these voices stored in?
Speaker 2: How do you do that? I don't always.
Speaker 4: Is it like imitations like you were talking about earlier, Like Okay, maybe I can take this person and this person combined them into something and that'll be another one or.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: Some of it is like taking the impression and going a totally different way with it. But I mean for years, you know, I ended up doing a lot of like the Joe Peshy kind of stuff on.
Speaker 2: Different different shows. And I would be any you know, like any Maniacs. I'm pretty sure yeah if.
Speaker 7: We did that, and and Mighty Ducks was that way, and then Powerpuff Girls.
Speaker 9: I was a was like he was the leader of the gang Green Gang, so you know, he was always talking like this, get those girls.
Speaker 2: It was the same. It was kind of the same thing with Mighty Ducks.
Speaker 7: But it started out and these always end up as like accidents. It started out as like I remember Jamie saying, now they wanted to be He's.
Speaker 2: Sort of this.
Speaker 7: Uh former like jewel thief criminal, So we want sort of this this little errold flinnish a little bit there, almost like a pizza roa tool or something in that, and he's, oh, that's great, that's great.
Speaker 2: And then the next week they said, no, they don't like the Peter ro tool. Just go just go with the pushy.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, well I get those guys confused. Yeah, Peter.
Speaker 2: They wanted to be like an actual sounding criminal.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, oh god yeah yeah, or the DeNiro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not the first time I dug the hole. I'll dig the hole this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, well you want me to dig the whole.
Speaker 2: It was bothering me, Spider, He's always on my back. I had to shoot it.
Speaker 1: And that makes yeah, And I knew guys like that in real life, and that's makes perfect sense, right. You gotta gotta solve a problem. Goodbye. Yeah, Now we got to dig a hole.
Speaker 2: But you didn't like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm afraid they did. But enough of that, this gay banter about Youngstown, Ohio. Yeah, let's get off this subject real quick because people are looking at me. Uh So anyway, Yeah, it's all the stuff that used to get you kicked out of school too, Yes, right, because that actually did happen to me. I'd make a joke about it.
Speaker 2: But oh man, back in Texas, it was like it was.
Speaker 1: Something wrong with this boy, you know that, right.
Speaker 2: I spent a lot of time in the in the hallways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 7: You know, here you go get out, yeah, be rolling the Yeah it's Jeff again.
Speaker 2: You know, they'd be rolling the.
Speaker 7: Historical documentary or whatever, and we'd be in the back, Me and another buddy would be in the back doing it, you know.
Speaker 1: You know yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was just it was always something and I was like, all right, get out, yeah, or you know, end up doing don Notts or Travolta or something about.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I swear the guy looked like he was on fire.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like I will have something else, yeah, for for the audition.
Speaker 7: They'll go, oh that's great, But let's try the Travolta, you know. And then so Travolta has ended up as like the Horse, the Horse on Looney Tunes and uh in Nickelodeon a couple of times from Nickelodeon.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that's how I end up.
Speaker 7: That's why I said I don't, because I end up redoing a lot of stuff over there. But you know, hopefully you change it up a little bit and people forgive you for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do, because yeah, yeah sometimes yeah, Amen.
Speaker 2: Was like, I'm not more walking, please, Yeah, I've been walking all my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's tired.
Speaker 2: I'm so tired of walking.
Speaker 1: I never that never really gets old for me for some reason. I mean, I know, he's like the most overdown guy. It used to be, buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's like the commercial that they did during the Super Bowl. It's like the people that are parking his car, the people.
Speaker 2: That are you know, this waiter, mister Wulkin. I have a special o though, just for you, you know.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but I remember the one we did, and I think you played the narrator for the Brainy Brainy.
Speaker 2: The pooh oh oh.
Speaker 7: Yeah that must have been interesting for Jim because it's like, yes, I think I was doing my characters.
Speaker 2: Was it Orson?
Speaker 7: Well you didn't get to do him, you know, because Yahni is supposed to be winning.
Speaker 2: Oh right.
Speaker 7: And then I did Jagger, which was Tiger right, turn Jagger into Jagger and it.
Speaker 1: Was O god, yeah that was animatum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got beautiful wraps.
Speaker 1: Oh god.
Speaker 2: It was weird. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they hired me to be in it. Yeah, and it was like, okay, this is so I'm you are making fun of myself.
Speaker 8: It was a blousery day, yeah, yeah, yes, would oh Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And Christopher Robin Christopher walking.
Speaker 1: Was Christopher Christopher Walking, Yes.
Speaker 7: And did the speech from it was Annie Holler Manhattan. Sometimes the nights I'm riding on my bike, I see the lights approach, I think where they coming from.
Speaker 1: I want to drive, right, I want to drive. Yes. And then with with the Woody Allen sitting there going the whole time.
Speaker 8: Okay, cinematic, yes, okay, Christopher, yeah we'll be on her ring now we got away with a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And he's a strange man.
Speaker 1: And then the uh one thing that I used to always do uh and and they would inevitably Andrea or Jenny would catch it. I was always trying to sneak in half a cussword, right, you know. I remember once that that and they called me back in and I said, damn, I almost made it. But it was I was playing a coyote and he was a hillbilly coyote and something like that, and he said, well.
Speaker 2: That don't belong to me.
Speaker 1: It must be urine. And they were going, oh, okay, so that's good, and I went, wow, you know, and then fair enough, like two months later, yeah, Jim, we need you to redo this line, must be yours. There goes my urine.
Speaker 2: Right right. Oh wow, I didn't get to keep my urine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they flushed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: They've always been great that way, with the the the horrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the syllogisms, and it's fun to see what you can sneak by, right right, you know, just.
Speaker 7: See they're there to be able to get away with you definitely can't anymore. Yeah, yeah, unless they really let you improv it. I mean there were some people that really oh yeah, they liked the improv take. Yeah, which was always great because we were having fun anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: I always think I always say I wish we had more b roll of what we were doing behind the scenes, because mm hmm, it's it's like the cartoon behind the cartoon that we were having so much fun.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, And it's not like that anymore. You know, you can't go to uh, go to a session. There'll be five or six people in the cartoon, but they ain't there right right, you know, it's just you and you and you.
Speaker 2: And uh and the directors usually you know at.
Speaker 1: Home, Yeah, at home some time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and uh, yeah, I won't hear those days of seeing Carol Channing take off her blouse in the studio.
Speaker 2: That's never gonna happen. Yeah. She was like, oh well, I'll just take this off. It's just yes, yeah, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 7: And and I remember people saying, oh, yes, she did that in our session too. And she's always like, she'll be wearing a bra and he yes, does the rest of her bra and yeah, no, no.
Speaker 2: Doctor, this time, don't do that. This time she had no bra and she didn't And and Brad Garrett was there. Oh I think it was two stupid dogs. Yes, And she went away and it was.
Speaker 7: At the old Barbara oh yeah, and she got well, I just go back here and you said little party, and she just she had the door open even though she was like halfway in where you go in the door and into the studio.
Speaker 2: And then she took off her blouse and there was nothing underneath. Yeah, and then bent over and I see look over. Brad Carrot is like.
Speaker 7: Afterwards he was like, I just kept thinking ula shaped baby.
Speaker 2: Oh I can't see that. You can't.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I can't either, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 7: And then and then she would go and she'd have like this this little igloo of fish with like sardines.
Speaker 1: Oh, Brian, oh god, I forgot.
Speaker 2: And she would go and dip them in, and Brian, she was like a large cat.
Speaker 1: Yes. And Charlie Adler had something to say about that too, because it was keeping something up company, right, I can't right, yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Charlie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sorry, folks, God, we're having this big inside joke in front of all these nice people.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Anyway, No, I think that's great because Jim's told that story, well a similar story, so many times of her, you know, taking it often.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, this is marvelish. This is great, sweetie. Can you put this up on the hangar?
Speaker 1: Sweetie? Thank you? Sweedy if you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast Do It Now.
Speaker 7: And she would wear those very loud, not not prints, but they were like heavy, like heavy cottons or something.
Speaker 2: So every time she goes yeah against the mic, it.
Speaker 1: Was like, yeah, yeah, it sounded like somebody reading a newspaper.
Speaker 7: And it was like and it was the same thing with with yeah.
Speaker 1: Her Bengals and her tambourines. She would wear tambourines for for a fashion right statement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mama did the same thing.
Speaker 7: And Johnny Broubble, Yeah, she would wear she would wear all the jewelry and she would wow.
Speaker 2: Joy, Oh, this is wonderful, Brenda. Brenda of a car and she's wearing all this jewelry.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh.
Speaker 7: And at the same time she's saying to me, where'd you get that damn stuff? You know, like you know, she's five yeah, you know, she's five, and she would she would start cussing in front of Oh May, and there's there's Jeff back there, Jeff Whitman, May's dad.
Speaker 2: You know, I see him kind of going, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and May's like, what twelve?
Speaker 2: That hell? Did you get that? Honey? Oh my god, yeah that's beautiful.
Speaker 7: Oh god, oh the damn ear rings.
Speaker 1: Well, now May cusses on her own, so it's she finally made it, she could finally cuss.
Speaker 2: She learned from the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god, that's a terrible, terrible memory that we're not going to ever talk about again. But uh, but I was just looking at some of the cool stuff that that we've done, and a lot of people don't know that you are the one of your biggest characters and you're not even really doing a character for him. The man in the yellow hat, he kind of sounds like you, yeah, that's what the romance, that's that's that's him right there.
Speaker 2: That threw me off.
Speaker 7: Yeah, literally, I remember because Sue Blue was like, yeah, the first day, oh honey, you know, they'll play us our auditions that we did, you know, it was like, didn't we usually do like three or four takes or something. I remember saying, so which one, which one did you end up going with? And she went, oh, oh yeah, oh honey, it's just your own voice, just your own voice, honey.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I went, now, what how does that go? Yeah? I need the ref Can you play it for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know? And then they plan.
Speaker 1: I go, that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be doing that every week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's just just talking like this because I'm so not used to that. Yeah, can we make it late the man in the oellow hat something?
Speaker 1: No, no, just yeah, yeah, yeah, you know that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you and Frank and right and you as as you gotta do a little a little squirrel.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I got to hear some squirrel.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was squirrel.
Speaker 7: That was That was so much fun for me because I got to just sit back and do my own voice and listen to you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have two different things.
Speaker 7: I ended up playing other characters, but yeah, yeah, you and Cassie Rob. I was like all the old grants first started working with.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the.
Speaker 7: First time I worked with Frank mm hmm might have been the Cowboys of moo Mesa.
Speaker 1: Most people forgot where the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Marshall Moo, I was the Colorado kid, Yes you were? And uh and and I was that's right. And Pat Frayley was Marshall Moo.
Speaker 1: Yes he was Moon Montana. And don't forget the code of the.
Speaker 2: My mom.
Speaker 7: You know what's funny about that is like they came out with a lot of different little paraphernalia off of that show. And my mom when I went back to Houston, my mom had like a shampoo bottle with my character. It was like, no kid full of soaper, full of shampoo. Cal damn shampoo bottle.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is something so wrong and so okay that at the same time.
Speaker 1: Did you have to pose for that?
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, and of course I didn't get anything for it, of course, of course. But that was the first time I met Frank, and I was just like I had already heard so you know, Frank Welker the legend, the legend, and I had already heard so much about him, and I was just like, man, this is this is That was the period where I was going through.
Speaker 2: I get to work with Jim, I got to work with.
Speaker 7: Frank, Rob's coming in and then Mark Hamill came in for like the first time.
Speaker 1: So that that then your head went.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And then I was like I got to meet Mark Hamilon and he walked up to me and he goes, so you play the Colorado kid.
Speaker 2: You have a red kerchief and.
Speaker 1: You and he did the same thing to me.
Speaker 7: Yeah stuff, when I go, you're freaking Luke Skywalker man, Wait, yeah, your number me, I'm meeting you that.
Speaker 1: I actually told him that. Yeah, yeah, I had no. He's such a fan boy. What a character, what a great guy. Yeah, that is too funny. Well, you've worked with a lot of the famous, facially famous people facially famous.
Speaker 2: And it was the same way on Gargoyls. Yeah, exactly. Well Keith, he's a Asner played Bronson. Yeah, and yeah, or Hudson.
Speaker 1: It was Hudson there you go, that was Hudson and Goliath.
Speaker 7: They sat him next to me the first day and they were showing us all the beautiful artwork and everything and discussing the characters.
Speaker 2: Back when you did that, you know, and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, we'd have a whole day where it was just like here's what it's going to look like, this is what you know, and this is your character.
Speaker 2: You know, we talk about it.
Speaker 7: They were drawing of everything, renderings everywhere, and they sent me right next to Ed Asner and I'm like the legend.
Speaker 2: What do I say? I say to him? He looks over me and I go, I love you because it was like, yeah, it's like nobody today, we'll understand that. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Again, he was boss on Mary Tyler Moore and and Ted Baxter would always come in and he would say something like.
Speaker 2: Oh please, I knew the day off. Yeah, and he just looked at me and said, shut up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was so perfect, like that was him, that was him. You got personally dissed. Yeah, you can't beat that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a great great man, great absolutely who who who did you ever work with?
Speaker 2: Anybody?
Speaker 1: Who famous, not so famous, talented, not so talented, whoever just kind of knocked you back and you and took you by surprise. And you know, it's like, I can't believe I'm sitting next to.
Speaker 7: Well, hey, Adam West was that way simply because.
Speaker 1: He was so sunny old.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was just so focused on doing his thing.
Speaker 7: He was so good that it threw me off because I had already been and this is Johnny Bravo. I'd already been doing Johnny Bravo for a while, and I mean it might not have been that long actually, And somebody sent me a picture the other day of the day that we all met Adam West, and we were all like, we look like babies.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: It's like Seth MacFarlane had big cold bottle glasses, looked like he was sixteen, butch all those guys Van looked like a.
Speaker 2: Kid, and he was I think it was like twenty one some time, and.
Speaker 7: Adam West comes in and it was supposed to be William Shatner originally because it was like nine one one.
Speaker 2: The whole thing was like, it was supposed to be mom. Mama doesn't come.
Speaker 7: Home and Johnny gets worried, so he calls nine one one. And this was back when nine one one was really popular, you know, Rescue nine one. So they wanted to William Shatner kind of think about that, and then he didn't want to do it, or there was some reason he couldn't do it, so they called in Adam West to do it and changed it to.
Speaker 1: An equally wooden character.
Speaker 6: Changed to Rescues Are Us, and it became and it became at every line that he said.
Speaker 2: He was so devoted to it.
Speaker 7: He was just so intense that I couldn't look over because every time I looked over he was doing his Batman kind of thing and Johnny, let's go find your mama. Yeah, and I just I lost it and it was like collect that was one of the first times she was directing the show, and she said, I've never seen you do that where you just yeah, louse it because you're usually pretty professional about.
Speaker 5: This, you know.
Speaker 1: But it was like, yeah, but Adam, you.
Speaker 2: Can't look at him.
Speaker 7: I just got to do my line and hope that I don't yeah, that you don't hear me laughing.
Speaker 1: There's no defense against that, right, right, there's no defense. You can't Adam West sitting there being Adam West.
Speaker 5: Yeah, can you some more Adam West? That was so funny, had his own manager there with him.
Speaker 2: Where will I sign? Just here? Okay, let's go do this. You know. I was like, I was like, Adam was a little bit like you have to be a little bit like.
Speaker 7: You got your You're halfway on the toilet and you're you're still you're still trying, and eventually it works.
Speaker 1: There you go that's the time. Show is secret.
Speaker 2: You want to know how to do voices, This is how you do voices.
Speaker 5: That's right, this showy toilet.
Speaker 2: And put in a little spice of this and then coming with a baritone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now see educational, that's right. It's very informative here.
Speaker 7: We do want to like, we do want to help with whatever free classes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh Jesus, that is too too good.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's great. Oh good.
Speaker 7: That was the you know, the way that I started, yeah, as a kid, and it drove my parents crazy because yeah, well good, we all did that. That's a good start. I remember seeing I think it was Mom and Jerry the little duck. What was the duck?
Speaker 2: Plucky? Was it plucky? One of those oh oh? And it was kind of like yeah, and it was and it yeah really yeah, And it.
Speaker 7: Would run around a quacky duck, Yeah, quacky duck something like that. And I was trying to sound like him, and he sounded like a little baby duck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of like a ten year old maybe.
Speaker 2: So I was trying to do that and I was like, yeah, this is working.
Speaker 7: It was probably nine, maybe ten or something, and but I ended up doing coming up with the helium thing, which we all you know, a lot of people ended up yeah, a smoon, a.
Speaker 1: Spy folks, you know, or gremlin and then a while that was called Gremlin like.
Speaker 2: Night, and my parents were like, my god, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what are we going to do with this Christy? You know, he's never going to get your job, know that. What are you going to do for a limming?
Speaker 2: I'm so worried about him?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, he shut up? Son, shut down, Sit down, son, sit down. Deep breath, yep, deep breath.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I mean, but that's the first one I ever remember where I watched something and I tried to do it, you know, and then that's just what came out. It wasn't the actual thing, but wow, close enough for government work, I guess.
Speaker 1: And what was your very first gig, your first voice, your first gig, your first cartoon?
Speaker 7: Oh, Prince Valiant, Prince, Prince Valiant, Prince. I was the one where Stu Rosen called me up and said give me your best Franklin Jalla.
Speaker 1: And I was like, Franklin Jet Frankline over the phone.
Speaker 7: I'm doing you know what I thought was like Franklin Joe. I just remembered him from the old Vampire.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and mister smooth. That's that's great. I see it scream music tomorrow nine o'clock. Then, of course he showed up at nine forty five.
Speaker 1: Yes, so with donuts right for himself.
Speaker 7: And smoking behind the glass. At the time, you could smoke in the studio. I don't think you can smoke.
Speaker 1: A cigarette out on a cler but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Does that great impression.
Speaker 7: He's like he's got the he's got the cigarette and the crawler in the coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I go, oh, I'm in sack. Do it again, you know? Yeah, I remember Rob poked me and he goes, look at that. The whole box of donuts is gone. The whole thing is gone. He finished that whole thing. He's still not done with the session.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's calling for reinforcement.
Speaker 7: And he abused me for four hours because I had all the lines. It was my first job and I was the fill. So the villain had all the lines. Was my first job was to come and tell me. And then you know, three minutes later, I'm still talking. Robbie's over there going waiting for his one line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I was gonna say and.
Speaker 7: You know, and and then but he saw I was probably sweating because after every line he would come, oh, Alan, sat, let's do it again, Let's try to be better.
Speaker 2: I was I going, oh god, this is what all of them are like, you know, yeah, I'm just gonna want to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And.
Speaker 2: He Robbie took me aside and he goes, hey, don't worry, man, he's that way with everybody. Yeah, he's that way with me too.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I was like, Okay, I can make it. I can make it through this.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That was the first job.
Speaker 5: And then how old were you?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 2: Twenty nine, maybe twenty eight, twenty nine something.
Speaker 1: Like that, Yeah, because I I I.
Speaker 2: Got here in eighty nine. Yeah yeah, January of eighty nine from Houston, Yeah, Houston. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it was eighty nine, and I think that probably wasn't until ninety two or something ninety two or ninety three that we did those.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And then James Bond Junior with Corey Burton as James.
Speaker 2: And then I was IQ.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, grandson of Q, who was very he's very much like a young Terry Thomas.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I did this sort of thing.
Speaker 9: But they had this sort of cybrant s in a way, but he was he was a genius. Came up with you know, this is a this is a ballpoint pen. That's all sailah a dot shooter, so be careful.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was a very small round thing.
Speaker 7: Right, But I remember I was going I was just getting ready to take Sue Blues Workshop at the time, M because she had that book and I remember reading the book like.
Speaker 1: She and Andre had one that I took together. Right, that was my that was my intro Wow into the into that but they used to be partners.
Speaker 2: And what was that like? It was great, it was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pat Music was there, Cam Clark was in that one. A couple of other people that ended up ended up you know, working so that was kind of fun. Yeah, I remember it was my intro.
Speaker 7: Corey was I was auditioning with him at SBV at the time, and we finished our audition out in the street m and he said.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm I'm sure we'll be working together soon. You're very good, I can tell you know. Yeah. Yeah, it was like maybe three weeks later we were doing Wow. So worked out worked out pretty well.
Speaker 1: That's pretty darn cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think Bonkers was not long after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that sounds about right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah that.
Speaker 1: We went through so many auditions for that, it was just ridiculous. Yeah, finally broke it down and then you were jitters like like I think, as we said, he made live.
Speaker 2: Little.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a cool character.
Speaker 7: And and Rita Moreno as the elephant. Wasn't she an elephant or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Type cast again, type cast again?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. And somebody's girlfriend wasn't she supposed to be?
Speaker 1: Like and Rod Perlman was there?
Speaker 2: He was yeah yeah with his cigars. Yeah, well he would smoke the scar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he uh and you know he was Canniff gi or who I think I think that's right.
Speaker 2: Wow, Jack. See I didn't even remember the names of the Yeah, so many other people.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I remember a couple of while like I did, and yeah it was yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a while ago and I've had a few of these so yeah, yeah, no kidding, well boy, oh boy, well it's you know, and it'll never kind of be that way again.
Speaker 2: I don't think you know.
Speaker 1: Where everybody, but all these people are all sitting around a room now I.
Speaker 7: Feel bad for this generation of boy silver actors.
Speaker 2: Because.
Speaker 7: You know, the cables were kind of the golden days. Yeah, we yeah, I mean we'd go to the audition. They would have the copy there for you with the character on it.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 7: There were twelve of the guys waiting to read. You might have to wait a while to go in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you did.
Speaker 7: But then the director would say, oh, that was great. Andrea or Jenny or who would say, are there that's that's that's great, but let's do it this way. Put a lampshade on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what Jenny would say, Yeah, that's right, and uh and change it up and you'd know you'd get direction right there, you know, as opposed to here's the character, now go with it.
Speaker 2: Good look. Yeah, and we don't have any that much direction, right, it's just have a go at it. Yeah, you get it, right? You get it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And if you do, you do, you don't you don't.
Speaker 7: But there's no there's no clues or hints, yeah, necessarily as to what it is.
Speaker 1: It's like, I think this sits Yeah. Well, the last thing you want to hear is, well, know what when we hear it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly okay, so give you eighteen things to choose from.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's a hard road to right, folks.
Speaker 2: It's tough out here.
Speaker 1: Start out here for.
Speaker 6: A p.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I got nothing to complain about.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, God forbid, Let that be the worst problem we ever have, right right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Mm mm hmmm. If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned in family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it Now? What else did we do together? Though? Didn't we? Oh?
Speaker 1: Well? Do we talk about gogoys?
Speaker 2: Did you go a little bit? Yeah? Okay? Was that us? That was us?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: What about what about this show The Lions Guard? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Do you remember doing that show?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I had never heard of it before before doing research on this and The Lion King. You were doing ed and you did Zazu if that's right?
Speaker 5: Correct? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had done.
Speaker 7: I came in originally to do uh scratch on the remake of The Lion King for with the song ron Atkinson.
Speaker 2: N't that his character? Right? Yeah? And I think he was.
Speaker 7: He was off over the pond doing something, probably Johnny English, one of theirs.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. So they had me do the scratch of the song the Morning Report. Mmm. So I did that, but then they liked it so much.
Speaker 1: They just didn't know that. Oh that's cool, and they said that that's.
Speaker 2: That sounded great, so they left it in the movie. Wow, And I.
Speaker 1: Didn't How did I not know this all this time?
Speaker 2: That's great, they don't want you to it's the same I did the same thing on James and the Giant Peak.
Speaker 4: So in The Lion King, that's you singing the Morning Report, right, Wow, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: How did I not know that?
Speaker 1: I mean I was singing for someone else too, Jeremy what's his name, some British guy, good Old? Well, I'm kidding it's good Old what's his name? You know? Jeremy, Jeremy, get out of here. I love that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, it turned out they liked what I did in that, so they they hired me to do it in The Lion Guard.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm. So go.
Speaker 2: Fun you don't know, you know, he's very full of himself all the time. He's a fun character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's why I did. That's one of the things I didn't like about the live action Lion King. They took out the Morning Report, right, they took out that song, and I'm like, I'm ready because that's kind of like the song that guess the movie going, you know.
Speaker 1: And they took about They took out be Prepared too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, they like remixed it. It was like a weird like remix. It wasn't the original.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 1: It was terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was also wasn't me.
Speaker 5: This is sort of this is this is.
Speaker 4: Sort of a tangent, but I want to talk about it. I've always thought it would be such a good idea for them to remake movies or cartoons for that fact, with the exact same script as the original, like the exact same script, and just shoot it differently or animate it differently, and see what comes up, see what comes out of it. And I guarantee because I did this. I had a class in college and we were all given it was a directing class. We're all given a fifteen minute short and we had to direct it differently. Everybody has the same script. You wouldn't believe how differently some of the things came out. You know, they said the creators of the Matrix said that they had so much footage that they could re release a whole other Matrix recut with out of the same shots but all the freaking same dialogue. Yeah, and I thought that would be so creative and so cool. And if you think about it, that's essentially what theater has been doing for thousands of years. It's the same script. All that changes is the direction, the blocking, the set, the set, you know, like I don't know, Yeah, yeah, I just wanted to throw that.
Speaker 2: In there, because I would totally be up for that.
Speaker 5: I always thought that would be a cool but.
Speaker 7: You do Bullwinkle, but just the same way. Because back when we were watching, I didn't get a lot of it. I didn't understand the political jokes. You know, there was a lot of communist jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Beanie and Cecil again, you know, we have your own fun with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you.
Speaker 1: Can't remember Beanie and Cecil that that was all that. There was tons of like political satire in there, right, you know, in retrospect. You could see it, the green Witch Island and all this, you know, all that stuff, Oh.
Speaker 7: My gosh, and all the all the old Oh my gosh, so so many, so many wonderful.
Speaker 2: Taxs, tid Staff and those guys that did the puppets.
Speaker 11: Yes, Sid Croft, Sid Kroft, he was, he was at a table not far from me and I and I went and got his Autographsis, Yeah, I said, you know, we we watched H H stuff like every day for the longest time when we were.
Speaker 2: Kids, and just love that.
Speaker 1: If you can't get enough.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know all of those all of those those were banana splits.
Speaker 2: Those were huge back in the day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember it, flipping like a pancake, popping like a cork and fliego bingo Trooper and snort all around the heavy Yes, I do know all the words, but I won't sing him now. Don't worry anymore, okay, uh yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think they're set caught on fire.
Speaker 7: At one point they had like the whole studio burned down.
Speaker 2: But I had to get his autograph because I was like, yeah, I'm a huge fan of yours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 7: I don't know if he could redo those the same way anymore, because they kind of seemed like they were a little drug induced to begin with. Yeah, no, no, but he was doing mushrooms.
Speaker 2: None of that was happening, you know.
Speaker 7: It was just like maybe this is what we did, yeah, and we just had fun with it.
Speaker 1: Well, the way that they made hr puffin Stuff's mouth move, it was just a big giant clamshell looking thing that his eyes were up here and the mouth went up and down like that. And it was a guy and he was just on a hinge and the mouth was this far open like at any given moment, and in order to make it look like he was talking, he had to jump up and down to make the lips smacked together, so it looked like he might be saying something close to what he was really saying. But it was awful and and you just loved it.
Speaker 2: That was the era of all of that. It was like Clutch Cargo, Clutch Cargo. Clutch Cargo was another one where they did They had the human mouth yes, and the animated around.
Speaker 7: It, yes, and it was it was like everything was like Mick Jagger style.
Speaker 2: You know, and it was like it's just so bizarre. Oh god, that was the stingly drug induced but probably.
Speaker 7: Not probably Yeah, Clutch Cargo and yeah, Spinner and paddle Foot, remember the dogs.
Speaker 1: And and uh yeah yeah anyway, wow, okay, sorry, we're going talk amongst yourself.
Speaker 2: We're going way back.
Speaker 1: Yes, hey remember when that was the way Back Machine?
Speaker 2: Hold on? Yeah, talking rocks? That was fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well I remember, you know after when I would come home from school it was like the Flintstones, Gilligan's Island and uh leave it to Beaver, like three back to back with the Flintstone. I mean it started out as a prime time comedy m it was a prime time show.
Speaker 1: I think it was the first one, I think, Yeah, I think it first animated prime time. Yeah, I remember that way thinking that was like boring the greatest thing. Yeah, that's true, that's true. Talking about yourselves.
Speaker 2: We are then what about me? What did I do?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 7: And I remember when we did, which was the Book of Pooh, the Book of Poo, which was a fine book that was a funky Pooh because there were a lot of songs that we had to do that were very intricate, kind.
Speaker 2: Of beatlesque, yes written kind of songs. And I was doing excuse at the time, and I did, oh did the deer, and I.
Speaker 12: Would have to I'd have to sing these sort of pigoty songs, but sort of is the George Harrison part. So I'd be singing, I don't know why we come.
Speaker 2: Around here, and.
Speaker 7: It would be just like all these minor keys and stuff, and I'd.
Speaker 2: Be like, I'm never gonna make it through this song. Yeah, I don't think, and they let's play the track.
Speaker 7: Now you sing with the track, but you know, it would be like you doing melody and I'm singing like.
Speaker 2: Just so bizarre.
Speaker 1: Those are painful times.
Speaker 2: Pigglet in the Beatles. It just wasn't no, it was it was a.
Speaker 1: WHI don't try that at home show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We spent a lot of time getting those songs right.
Speaker 1: That is so damn true, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And they were odd. They were odd songs.
Speaker 2: And the guy who.
Speaker 1: Wrote them only dressed in or orange. I can't remember. God, bless you, buddy, you're a great songwriter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dressed in orange?
Speaker 5: What do you mean that's interesting? He only dressed in orange, Like he wore like orange paints.
Speaker 1: Only orange jeans, orange, I'm sure underwear he had orange shirts. He had one hundred orange shirts, one hundred orange, lots of orange shoes, orange, orange, orange.
Speaker 2: He only dressed.
Speaker 5: That's so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so it's you know, you gotta go with your inspiration, my orange.
Speaker 5: The pink lady in West Hollywood, right, Oh, you know the pink lady. She only wears pink and she wanders around. Is that her name? I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's been around forever.
Speaker 5: She's been around for Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: They've been around, like in a pink corvette.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's right. Yes.
Speaker 7: I saw the car one day, like it was somewhere in Tarzana or something, and I'm like, yeah, she's here, Angelina's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and she's got her and there's like eight people out there going.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah I have seen her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the other ten thousands are going right.
Speaker 5: She's a local legend.
Speaker 7: There's another woman that also used to be When I used to go to SBV, like on Librea, I'd see this woman in like they look like ten inch heels. Oh and she also had this huge beehive hair do and people would call her like giraffe woman walking on these I can't stand up and do it.
Speaker 2: But she's walking on those heels, and it looked.
Speaker 7: Like she was back, like she was like her whole thing was like she was this way. She was walking against the wind or something.
Speaker 2: It was strange and these heels. Everybody thought the wind's just gonna blow her over at some point. You know, she's ah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I miss all our old weirdos. I know, we don't. We don't.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of them.
Speaker 1: We don't have any good weirdos anymore. I blame COVID.
Speaker 2: Pull up to his studio and yeah, see plenty of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's the guy doing with the back of his car? What is he pulling out of the trunk?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And why are you washing my windshield?
Speaker 7: Even working with Jonathan Winters, I mean, he came up to me in the parking lot and I don't know if he knew that we were going to be working together, but he had his medical bag with him, which looked like it was from like.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Amazing, the inspiration for Robin Williams and everybody else.
Speaker 2: And you know, and you worked.
Speaker 1: With him X amount of times. Yeah, yeah, me too, I'm happy to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: But he came up to me in the parking lot and he's holding this this medical bag which I think pretty much held everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and then he you'll enjoy this.
Speaker 7: Being an Ohio guy, he pulled something out of his pocket and he comes up to me and he goes, I ever seen one of these before? And I go, no, mister Wood, And I started to say, you know, we're gonna be that's a buckeye.
Speaker 2: Ever seen a buckeye up close? Let me tell you about buckeye. And then he goes into buckeyes for like the next five minutes.
Speaker 5: Wow, what's a buck eye?
Speaker 2: It's like a nut, it's a rose.
Speaker 1: It's like the Ohio State buckeyes. We have ten million buck eye trees and they all and they they grow, they they are in the Yeah.
Speaker 4: I can't believe I never even knew this. Yeah, oh yeah, I always wonder.
Speaker 2: That's why they're called the bucket.
Speaker 1: And if you and if you chop them off before they're they're ripe, they will. They're like porcupines. They're green that you can't catch them. You have to let them hit on the ground then pick him up.
Speaker 2: So that's pretty much the snap throw with your friend. That's pretty much.
Speaker 7: What he was telling me, and I'm going, yeah, why am I in the Hannibarbarier parking lot listening to the Buckeye five minute Diet about Buckeyes walking together?
Speaker 2: Ohioes and go do Johnny Bravo. And he was hysterical.
Speaker 7: And then after he kept everybody after for like thirty minutes just telling stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I always usually I don't have mere right now, but I trouble with my drumsticks a lot of times. And and we were doing I guess, I guess it was the Adams family. I was lurch and and rip rip Taylor was there and uh and and Jonathan was there. Hey, and he says I want and goes, I want you to take one drum stick and hand it to him, just one, just one, and then stand back because he's gonna do something.
Speaker 2: He's gonna do something crazy.
Speaker 1: So so he took it. Yeah, and I think he did. That was probably the first one. And then he went ahem, O, Sabby must follow me. Oh wait here hold this. Oh he fell asleep, you know.
Speaker 2: And they've got blow guns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he and I always do a blowgun for some reason. Yeah, but but yeah, he just he just you you can't. He didn't have an off switch and you could really really see. Yeah, that was he would show.
Speaker 2: He would come out.
Speaker 7: Yeah when you know, when we were at least when I was a kid, we'd watch his show and he'd bring this big trunk, would be this big trunk out on stage and he just pulled something.
Speaker 2: Out yeah before car time, you know, yeah, put it around.
Speaker 7: His head or something, and the same thing, like you're careful, you know, this is Indian country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: It was just just wild wow things that he would do. Yeah, there's nobody like him anymore. No, there's nobody. I mean Jim Carrey. Plus he would kind of he would.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he would show up at Bob's Big Boy and entertain people right there, right just in the middle of lunch, right, Yeah, you're having a.
Speaker 2: Half pounder there, you know, I was a half pounder, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well he told me this one story about he's uh, he was walking across the the parking lot at a K Mart or something. You're getting into his car and Lily said, oh my god, I can't believe I'm running into you. This is so nice, it's so wonderful.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been a fan of yours for ever and ever, and when you do Ed Sullivan and this and that and all right, stop it right there, missy, all right, all right, fine, listen.
Speaker 3: I just want you to know I'm sick to death of people like you bucking me in every park.
Speaker 1: I go to the drag cleaner, Oh you look like Jonathan Winter. I go to the store. Oh you look like Jonathan Alpha Beta, you look like Jonathan Winners. I am so sick of that bastard. If he was here, now, you know what I'd do to him, I'd kick him right in the knees. Oh, my, you're not, of course I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm a bye guy.
Speaker 1: I'm a chiropractor from Saugus. My name is Alistair part knock, you know, you know, And and he would go and he would be righted. Yeah, and I am. Can I tell you it's the bane in my existence. Ever since he was on that goddamn Ed Sullivan, he's been and he and he goes off on Ed Sullivan, pissed off of Ed Sullivan for making Jonathan when it's famous, And and then then he and she goes well again, I really have to go. I'm all right, fine, Wait a minute, you don't even want my autograph after all that.
Speaker 2: But I thought you were. I was kidding.
Speaker 1: Oh Joe, oh wait, you really are. Uh huh you know what do you do? That's so funny it and you know it's true. You know he did that. I mean Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: He played. He played so many jokes all the time. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Did you ever work with Seth MacFarlane again after Johnny Bravo?
Speaker 2: I don't. I might have done one or two Family Guys just briefly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he cast me. It's like this, like Saudi Saudi.
Speaker 7: Arabian guy at a at a you know, like a waiter at a lunch place or something.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember what I did, but it was, Yeah, it was something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had one of those.
Speaker 2: I did a everything everything is everything is that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But it's uh yeah, I mean that that was it. And I had like two lines and uh and and we did it over the phone and it was weird. And he goes, oh, okay, well, and I said, so now I get to say I did your show. He goes, yeah, huh okay, that's good, okay bye, And then that was it. So what show is it? American dad. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, right, so that a line and then I was gone, yeah, so I'm happy now I can die happy, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the fact knowing that. I mean, he looked at the time.
Speaker 7: We've got it somewhere. I'm not going to show it though. What's that the picture of us on Adam West Day? Oh, because he he kind of seth looked like the kid that you know, Adam had dropped him off at the studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have fun that day and watch yeah.
Speaker 2: And he was the right you know, he was one of the writers on the show, but he.
Speaker 7: Was like I didn't always see those guys. I think he came in though, to do like a Don Delaisee thing on Johnny Bravo at one point because they were hoping Don Delawiese could do it.
Speaker 2: Then he couldn't do it, and then he came on to do it. Oh wow, So yeah that was fun.
Speaker 1: Don delaise There's another one picked me.
Speaker 7: Up from when we were doing I can't think it was a Johnny Bravo.
Speaker 2: We were on break and he picked me up.
Speaker 13: From behind and I was like, okay, I did not expect to telise and that's you know, my mother's ass comes from Tom.
Speaker 2: I think it started there. Oh god, guess you would miss a ligne. He would be going just oh, my mother's ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I think that's where Charlie Eddler starts.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we went out of the We went out of Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's okay. Well, if you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now?
Speaker 5: Do you want to play a voice swap game?
Speaker 2: We're really going up sure voices?
Speaker 5: Yes, all right, Here's how it works.
Speaker 4: Jim will do a line of one of his characters, say a line as that character, and then you'll do the same line, but as one of your characters, and then vice versa.
Speaker 5: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Oh, so we're not we're not swapping voices.
Speaker 5: Really swapping lines.
Speaker 4: So it'll be like Winnie the Pooh, one of your characters, one of your characters, one of Jim's but same line, same line, just back and forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see. Okay, So, so what shall we be Pooh or tigger?
Speaker 2: Or who should we do here today?
Speaker 4: Since we talked about Piglet, it might be funny to do piglet and pig lit and tiger peg litt and Pookay.
Speaker 1: Okay, well here, all right, I'll give you a tigger line. The wonderful thing about tiggers our tiggers are wonderful things.
Speaker 12: The wonderful thing about tiggers is tiggers are wonderful things.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's something Piglet would say. He'd be encouraging, be encouraging and trying to play a lot.
Speaker 2: True. Yes, I'll give me another one as someone else.
Speaker 1: Okay, well here, now you give me one then, yes, and I'll do Who should that be? Pooh? Yes, that'll because that stupid Go away?
Speaker 2: Go away, you children, you who should frighten me for hours?
Speaker 1: Go away? Go away, you you silly children, you frighten me for hours? Go away, go away, you silly children. You've frightened me for hours.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is something Pooh would never say.
Speaker 1: That is something Pooh would ever never say.
Speaker 2: Get the hell out bleeding.
Speaker 5: Which one of your characters do you think is the most like Johnny Bravo.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, let's see the most.
Speaker 5: Like maybe dark Wing or Lucky Lucky Pequel.
Speaker 1: No, Lucky's those carnage he is no mucho. Yes, yes, that would be good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you want to start with Johnny Brow or you want.
Speaker 7: To start with Sure, let's start with Johnny bro So I'll say I'll just say, hey, pretty mamma, how's it going?
Speaker 1: Okay, Now I gotta put that into my brain. Hey, that pretty mama, how ship going?
Speaker 2: I like the boom booms.
Speaker 14: Say hey man, I'm pretty Hey, son of the Gun, I am pretty.
Speaker 4: Absolutely that show was so funny. I actually just watched the pilot of Johnny Bravo, like not too long ago.
Speaker 5: I was just revisiting. Wow, that was yeah and so funny. Is that's weird?
Speaker 7: I think Roger Rose is on it too, and he plays like a Sammy Davis character like the Monkeys, Yeah yeah or something, Yeah, that would be he Yeah, And I think Johnny ends up like, It's okay, I don't mind kissing a what he ends up kissing a duck, a donkey or something. Yeah, I don't mind that you're a donkey.
Speaker 2: And it was. It was a really strange episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was so weird, and it was he was like the he went into what's the little girl's name, the little girl, little neighbor girl. Yeah, she uh, Susie, sus Susie. Yeah, he goes into show and tell for Susie and like the teachers like into him at first, and I was like, oh, and I can't remember what he did.
Speaker 5: I can't remember what he did.
Speaker 4: But I was like, this is such a stark contrast because like throughout the rest of the series, they're not really interested at first.
Speaker 5: They're always like picked out by him. But she is like he beat up and he was like, you want to see me comb my hair really fast? And I just thought that that's what he did for showing tell.
Speaker 4: Hair calling really fastby oh my god, that cracks me up.
Speaker 5: I was like, how did these guys think of this stuff?
Speaker 7: I remember Frank Frank telling me that he worked with all this Yeah, the movie.
Speaker 1: I saw the picture. He's got a picture of.
Speaker 2: It, Girl trouble. Yeah, and he's set on the brink, you know.
Speaker 7: Elvis would come up and say, hey man, you should do that dog and cat thing again.
Speaker 2: Do it for my buddy here.
Speaker 7: He doesn't believe he can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Frank, he does a dog and cat fight.
Speaker 7: Yeah, fighting, and you know, yeah fence or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh god, yeah that's fine. Frank. Entertaining Elvish, entertaining the king one of the best. Yeah, no doubt about it. And now here you are carrying on that tradition.
Speaker 2: And now we're the grandpas. Yeah, yeah, that's I remember what I was like. I was the young gun. I was the young guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you two.
Speaker 7: Everybody else was like you know yeah, and then I remember seeing guys who look like us.
Speaker 2: Now we're not working with them anymore. What happened to them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Those guys that used to work with you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, now you don't notice because everybody's in their own closet.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: And do you do do you do conventions these days? Are you? Are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't do enough branching out into that area.
Speaker 7: I do some here and there, yeah, but I can't you know, I can't do it like weekly like some people.
Speaker 2: Are you doing a bunch? Uh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But not weekly? Yeah, you know, a couple of months, right, you know, get gets you out of the house.
Speaker 2: You're doing anaheun coming up. Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: We should tell if you have anything to tell people, we should tell them you come see us.
Speaker 7: It's June sixth through the eighth at the Anaheim Convention Center.
Speaker 1: That is very true.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 5: Be there.
Speaker 2: Be there.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: A lot of good people, a lot of really good people.
Speaker 4: I saw they have like over one hundred guests. They have over one hundred guests.
Speaker 2: Think we do. I think it's going to be a nuts Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well we're the only two you have to come and see.
Speaker 2: Right at the second best place on earth. This will be right across.
Speaker 5: This will be passed by the time this air.
Speaker 1: I was gonna Did you have a good time? We did too, I remember you.
Speaker 7: Hopefully you got our autographs. Yeah, and it went well. Yeah, I'm sorry if I didn't do the voice you wanted.
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask you, do you have a musical background to do any musical theater? Do you play any instruments, because I've noticed that a lot of voice actors have not.
Speaker 7: I know I did some singing, yeah, you know, for a while.
Speaker 2: But not with not with a band or anything like that.
Speaker 7: Okay, that was choir boy for a while, you know, did that in high school and there you go.
Speaker 2: You know, enjoyed singing, but I didn't. It wasn't like didn't light you on fire. No, I mean I loved it, but it wasn't you know, something I did all the time. Yeah, just to the radio. That's right, That's right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's how it also.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm just curious because so many, so many voice actors that we've talked to have like a musical background, and they all say, they all say, you know, it's helped.
Speaker 5: With their ear. Jim specifically, you know, many many musical theaters, so many, so many people from musical theater, right, voice actor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's interesting. So I just wanted to add to my mental tally if yes or no, I would.
Speaker 7: Just sing along with you know whomever and did sort of singing and rssians as well. Yeah, and harmonized. So yeah, it did. It did certainly develops the ear really well. I agree, But I had no idea they'd be asking for singing that much. In the shows that we ended up doing, I mean, Animaniacs, we did all of the songs and that yeah, yeah, with Randy Roguel doing all those and yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think Rob and he have a one two man show that they go out and do and they sing the sing the songs.
Speaker 2: Right, they've never invited me, But.
Speaker 1: It's because I don't belong there, because I shouldn't be there, right, That's probably why.
Speaker 2: That could be the reason.
Speaker 1: That could be.
Speaker 2: I think it might be. Honest, it did wrote the backup singer, Is it that one?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, keep backing up. They told me by all means back up.
Speaker 2: It's like twenty feet from stardom.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you stayed twenty feet back.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: But we didn't have some fun on those shows. Yes, we did doing doing some fun songs. Yeah, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Are you in production as we speak on anything? Because I'm not a couple of things A couple of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I'm still.
Speaker 7: Doing you know, like Disney Junior stuff O, good pubstruction, anything with pups in the names. I'm doing right, well, that's good Puppy dog Pals, Pubstruction, Pretzel and the Pup Pound Puppies, Pound Puppies.
Speaker 2: I'm all about the pups. The tents. Yeah, and some of the Nickelodeon plays nice, nice, nice yeah yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: And then I'm you know, scheduled to do a couple of things, but I cannot talk about them.
Speaker 2: They won't allow me. Yeah, but to sign.
Speaker 1: See, I don't have anything going, but I tell them I do, and I can't talk about it because that way it sounds like I'm really still going all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a secret.
Speaker 1: But don't tell any don't tell anybody. Oh well, buddy, thanks for being here, man, thanks for so fantastic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You very much.
Speaker 1: Great to see you both, Jeff Glenn Bennett, Ladies and gentlemen, the one and only accept no substitutes, absolutely the real deal.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you all so much for watching. If you like that video, be sure to like and subscribe. It helps us, it helps you. Did you know that on YouTube you can watch a video and it's never recommended to you. Again, it's really big flaw on the algorithm, So make sure that you like and subscribe because that won't happen to you. Then, yes, and yeah, they say there's something like what would it take It would take like fifty lifetimes or something to watch everything on YouTube, Like, there's literally so much on YouTube that you physically could not watch every like not even close.
Speaker 1: You should watch all.
Speaker 7: Of these, but it would take two hundred of what we have left in our life, that's right, So see, so just just watch this one.
Speaker 1: That way, you're safe.
Speaker 4: And if you like this and you want to see more, you can check us out on Patreon where there's bonus content, there's exclusive episodes, there's extended episodes. There's a whole bunch of good stuff over there. If you want some merchandise, you can check out Jim cummings closet on Shopify. Get some keychains, get some shirts, get some other cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Might a little fugle pop it could be.
Speaker 4: And be sure to check the description for any appearance dates that Jim will be going to conventions that'll be listed below right here. And all that said and done, thank you again for watching. I'm producer Chris, Jim Cummings, Jeff Bennett, thank you so much for being here. We'll see you in the next one.
Speaker 1: Yay, hey, hooray. And it's just that easy, just like that,